PDA

View Full Version : Macbook Magsafe connector burns up

albeik
Mar 15, 2006, 05:28 PM
Interesting set of images on Flickr of a burned up magsafe power connector.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/rheauchyr/sets/72057594082940769/

"When I came home today, I found that the magsafe connector was melted. Thank god the cats disconnected the Macbook pro during the day."

Found this on digg (http://digg.com/apple/Macbook_Magsafe_connector_burns_up)

asherman13
Mar 15, 2006, 05:31 PM
Yeah, that's pretty intense.

Here's to hoping that it never happens to me!

Peyton
Mar 15, 2006, 05:33 PM
Great... can I smell a recall?

Anyone else have this problem?

p0intblank
Mar 15, 2006, 05:35 PM
Wow... that's scary! :eek: I sure hope Apple calls a recall on this.

AliensAreFuzzy
Mar 15, 2006, 05:38 PM
Eep. I hope that doesn't happen to my baby.

*Hugs MBP*

MrTchMan
Mar 15, 2006, 05:44 PM
WOW..... I wonder what apple said

howesey
Mar 15, 2006, 06:24 PM
I think his cat peed on it.

Cybix
Mar 15, 2006, 06:28 PM
something has definately been spilt on it, you can tell from the stains on the back of the plug/cable. it's shorted out somewhat..

grapes911
Mar 15, 2006, 06:31 PM
Wow... that's scary! :eek: I sure hope Apple calls a recall on this.
Why? 1,000s of these have been shipped and this is the only one with a reported problem. No reason to do a recall for such a small percentage. Maybe that will change in the future. You should be hoping that it isn't really a problem and no recall will be needed.

macOSX-tastic
Mar 15, 2006, 06:42 PM
something was probably spilt on it, or something caused it to short.....we dont know the details. i dont think that it will be case for a recall unless we hear of a similar incident......

if it turns out there is a flaw in the design, well, it serves all y' all right for buying dirty dirty intel rubbish!!! (hugs PowerBook and it's hideous, ugly, out of date, so yesterday, not to be seen in the light of day, regular plug-mechanism, dont put that thing in front of me, i want it out of the house or i leave now, primitive powercord)

:D:D

S

California
Mar 15, 2006, 06:43 PM
The give away is that the guy cleaned it.

Why would he have cleaned it, if something hadn't been spilt on it?

And who in their right mind would let their cat sleep on their MBP?

I think some male kitty cat got possessive over the MBP ...

... and sprayed.

Interesting to see how Apple deals with it, though. I'd be very surprised if it was a product defect.

realityisterror
Mar 15, 2006, 06:55 PM
Would just spilling something cause it to short?
It should be DC rather than AC, so how exactly could it short? I'm definitely not an electrician, but I guess if the spilled liquid carried a current, that shouldn't cause it to short?

Should it?

TheMonarch
Mar 15, 2006, 07:00 PM
Some people just shouldn't be allowed to touch things...

CoMpX
Mar 15, 2006, 07:03 PM
Yes, it would short. DC shorts much worse than Ac though, because DC is a constant current, while AC is alternating. There are usually no sparks with DC, just intense, instant heat. Uhhh, my dad is an electrician.:cool:

realityisterror
Mar 15, 2006, 07:05 PM
Yes, it would short. DC shorts much worse than Ac though, because DC is a constant current, while AC is alternating. There are usually no sparks with DC, just intense, instant heat. Uhhh, my dad is an electrician.:cool:

I stand corrected.
Thanks for informing me :cool:

California
Mar 15, 2006, 07:08 PM
Interesting set of images on Flickr of a burned up magsafe power connector.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/rheauchyr/sets/72057594082940769/

"When I came home today, I found that the magsafe connector was melted. Thank god the cats disconnected the Macbook pro during the day."

Found this on digg (http://digg.com/apple/Macbook_Magsafe_connector_burns_up)

Hey, albeik, it was your magsafe that the cat peed on, right? Let us know.

CoMpX
Mar 15, 2006, 07:12 PM

I agree. Look at all of the rust deposits in the first pic around the base of the cord. This does not happen front electrical shorting alone. Because of the nature in which the plug rusted so quickly, I think this is due to the acidity of the urine. Well spotted. ;)

Cybix
Mar 15, 2006, 07:18 PM
MacRumors turn's CSI ! i love it. :D

Arcus
Mar 15, 2006, 07:38 PM

I agree. Cat pee.

albeik
Mar 15, 2006, 07:50 PM
Hey, albeik, it was your magsafe that the cat peed on, right? Let us know.

lol! it is not mine... (I'll stick with my G4 powerbook for now)
Just wanted to share something I found.

I hope it IS cat pee! lol!

iHeartTheApple
Mar 15, 2006, 07:57 PM
While this is pretty scary:eek: , I think the other posters may be onto something regarding the possibility of a spill having occured. It sure does look like it has been discolored in a weird (read: not fire-like) way. I hope for all the new MBP owners that this was an isolated user-error case and not a product defect. :(

Counterfit
Mar 15, 2006, 08:11 PM
Everyone keeps calling it rust. Plastic doesn't rust. Only iron rusts (rust is iron oxide, it's what you get when iron oxidizes. Most metals (to my knowledge) oxidize as well. Anodized aluminum has a thicker than normal layer of aluminum oxide, which also forms whenever aluminum is exposed to oxygen)). Anyways, I also suspect a short, either from a spill (or a possessive male cat ;)) or from a manufacturing fault (a design fault probably would have shown up sooner).

CoMpX
Mar 15, 2006, 08:14 PM
Everyone keeps calling it rust. Plastic doesn't rust. Only iron rusts (rust is iron oxide, it's what you get when iron oxidizes. Most metals (to my knowledge) oxidize as well. Anodized aluminum has a thicker than normal layer of aluminum oxide, which also forms whenever aluminum is exposed to oxygen)). Anyways, I also suspect a short, either from a spill (or a possessive male cat ;)) or from a manufacturing fault (a design fault probably would have shown up sooner).

Well couldn't the metal inside rust and leave deposits outside the unsealed plastic casing of the plug? ;)

Jay42
Mar 15, 2006, 08:47 PM

Dude, you should have seen it when those "iPod Video" pictures came out a couple weeks ago!

plinkoman
Mar 15, 2006, 08:56 PM
Well couldn't the metal inside rust and leave deposits outside the unsealed plastic casing of the plug? ;)

no, because nothing can rust except iron. other metals can and do oxidize, but as rust is a special name for the more well known oxidation of iron specifically, iron can be the only metal that will rust, and i'm pretty sure those connectors aren't made of iron ;)

p0intblank
Mar 15, 2006, 08:59 PM
Why? 1,000s of these have been shipped and this is the only one with a reported problem. No reason to do a recall for such a small percentage. Maybe that will change in the future. You should be hoping that it isn't really a problem and no recall will be needed.

Well let's hope it is nothing serious enough to warrant recall. That's what I should have said in my original post...

mjstew33
Mar 15, 2006, 09:08 PM
Oh wow.

After G
Mar 15, 2006, 09:49 PM
Wow, cat piss.
NO PETS for me from now on.

iSee
Mar 15, 2006, 09:57 PM
Isn't it pretty obvious that someone is having a little fun here?

Thank god the cats disconnected the Macbook pro during the day.

If it makes you giggle (admit it, it did :) ), it's probably a joke.

Laser47
Mar 15, 2006, 10:25 PM
Wow, what a weird story,
Im thinking either three things happened;

A.) One of his cats was being dominant over the nice warm MBP and decided to mark it territory. THe urine probably caused a short which burnt up the magsafe connector while in the meantime the cat takes off catching the cord and unplugging it from the MBP

B.) As the person who posted the pictures said, It caught on fire by itself and the cat tried to stomp out the fire which caused the connector to disconnect.

C.) (Most Probable)
The cat was using the MBP and was amazed by the speed of the Core Duo processor causing the cat to lose its bladder over the MBP.

n8236
Mar 15, 2006, 10:45 PM
Obviously an isolated case, don't be stupid and think about it before ppl go all crazy and think their MBPs will burn up like that. I doubt it's anything to be alarmed about unless you intend on pouring beer or soda on the magsafe.

shrimpdesign
Mar 15, 2006, 11:53 PM
Dude, you should have seen it when those "iPod Video" pictures came out a couple weeks ago!
Oh, yeah ... what do those chinese symbols mean again?

Just kidding. ;)

lanray
Mar 15, 2006, 11:55 PM
if it turns out there is a flaw in the design, well, it serves all y' all right for buying dirty dirty intel rubbish!!! (hugs PowerBook and it's hideous, ugly, out of date, so yesterday, not to be seen in the light of day, regular plug-mechanism, dont put that thing in front of me, i want it out of the house or i leave now, primitive powercord)

:D:D

S
Man, that's some funny stuff. Keep it up. I actually laughed out loud. Usually takes some serious real-life stuff to do that, but you got me.

princealfie
Mar 16, 2006, 01:25 PM
love cats but always keep them near milk, not apples.

albeik
Mar 16, 2006, 05:51 PM
Update: Apple has images of burned Macbook Magsafe connector removed!

"The reason for this is that Apple, after dealing with this issue, kindly requested me to remove the pictures at least until their engineers had a change to investigate this issue. Since Apple support has been very helpful and already is getting me a new Macbook asap, I'm happy to answer their request."

http://www.flickr.com/photos/rheauchyr/113019035/

drake
Mar 16, 2006, 06:01 PM
He's been bought off. :p

howesey
Mar 16, 2006, 06:03 PM
Update: Apple has images of burned Macbook Magsafe connector removed!

"The reason for this is that Apple, after dealing with this issue, kindly requested me to remove the pictures at least until their engineers had a change to investigate this issue. Since Apple support has been very helpful and already is getting me a new Macbook asap, I'm happy to answer their request."

http://www.flickr.com/photos/rheauchyr/113019035/
Please remind me that when my Mac is 11 months and 30 days old I get a cat to pee on it, I may get a new one then. Oh damn, I may have to take out Apple Care, see you in three years. :p :rolleyes: :cool:

bodeh6
Mar 16, 2006, 06:36 PM
He exposed Apple and looks like Apple is covering it up. Conspiracy? Did anybody download the pics and can you post them here? If somebody did that, I wonder how long it would take for Apple to contact MacRumors.

SJ probably pulled up in his Benz wearing a black suit and sunglasses and told the person never to mention this again.

CoMpX
Mar 16, 2006, 06:38 PM
no, because nothing can rust except iron. other metals can and do oxidize, but as rust is a special name for the more well known oxidation of iron specifically, iron can be the only metal that will rust, and i'm pretty sure those connectors aren't made of iron ;)

Hmm, I see. What do you think the orangish substance is outside of the connector?

Erendiox
Mar 16, 2006, 06:50 PM
He exposed Apple and looks like Apple is covering it up. Conspiracy?

I doubt it, considering this is the first we've heard of such a magsafe problem. :rolleyes:

I cast my vote toward: "The cat peed on it."

steve jr.
Mar 16, 2006, 07:10 PM
haha...pee...haha rotfl. :D:p sorry, i'm in a good mood. i'm normally not this immature. sorry to hear about your MBP. hope you get your new one fast!

California
Mar 17, 2006, 01:31 AM
Too much cat involvement for my taste. I'll be real interested to see if there are any chemical traces of cat saliva or urine or spray on that cord.

dejo
Mar 17, 2006, 01:34 AM
Too much cat involvement for my taste. I'll be real interested to see if there are any chemical traces of cat saliva or urine or spray on that cord.

Time for "CSI: Felis"...

bodeh6
Mar 17, 2006, 12:25 PM
Here are the pics
http://gizmodo.com/gadgets/images/apple_firebook.jpg

Thanks to Gizmodo (http://gizmodo.com/gadgets/laptops/macbook-magnetic-magsafe-connector-not-so-safe-after-all-161229.php)

BornAgainMac
Mar 17, 2006, 12:51 PM
I heard of someone in Macrumors also having their cat pee into the holes of a Powermac G5. Anyways, that was nice that Apple is going to help out in this case. They must have dedicated people looking at Macrumors all day long.

MukelG
Mar 17, 2006, 01:17 PM
Definitely not rust on the outside plastic. Isn't anyone here a pyro? Sheesh. When you burn plastic [or just heat it up nice 'n good] it gets all bubbly and toasty.

PS Cat Definitely at fault.

chaos86
Mar 17, 2006, 01:33 PM
my bet is that he did something that broke his MBP's power supply (like tested some other power source or something), and he knew he wouldnt get it replaced, so he got a lighter and made up some story that would be bad press for apple so they replaced it. these are the sorts of things i think about doing when i break something, but id not do it; fraud.

Laser47
Mar 17, 2006, 03:05 PM
my bet is that he did something that broke his MBP's power supply (like tested some other power source or something), and he knew he wouldnt get it replaced, so he got a lighter and made up some story that would be bad press for apple so they replaced it. these are the sorts of things i think about doing when i break something, but id not do it; fraud.

Yea but the MBP was burnt, it wouldn't be smart to intentionally burn part of your +2k computer just because you broke you power supply and want to be slick and get a replacement. It could have been his cat and it could not have been no one really knows.

deebster
Mar 17, 2006, 03:14 PM
Pets and Macs. Baaaad mix.

Pets and PCs however... :D

Laser47
Mar 17, 2006, 03:36 PM
Pets and Macs. Baaaad mix.

Pets and PCs however... :D
Obviously that dog is a mac user :D

Maxiseller
Mar 17, 2006, 04:35 PM
Ive only just managed to look at this thread; what did the guy actually say about his cat if anything?

I'm just a little lost as to where the cat involvment came to light!

Eevee
Mar 17, 2006, 04:58 PM

:D

You've been watching too many CSI's!

Eevee
Mar 17, 2006, 05:04 PM
thanks Gizmodo and bodeh6. I was curious to see the pics.

That's one nasty burn! Hope the picture will remain here and not removed by Apple!

SpaceMagic
Mar 20, 2006, 02:54 PM
thanks Gizmodo and bodeh6. I was curious to see the pics.

That's one nasty burn! Hope the picture will remain here and not removed by Apple!

Let's get things cleared up... Apple didn't remove the images.. apple requested they were removed so they could further investigate (probably before the media takes it all out of proportion).

RichP
Mar 20, 2006, 03:15 PM
Let's get things cleared up... Apple didn't remove the images.. apple requested they were removed so they could further investigate (probably before the media takes it all out of proportion).

which it now is...

timdorr
Mar 20, 2006, 03:21 PM
It's only one incident. If there was a serious product defect, we'd definitely have more of these images out there.

Of course, I'm sure most people aren't dumb enough to let their cats sleep on there multi-thousand dollar electronics. Buy the cat a $5 bed and have him sleep there....

whooleytoo
Mar 20, 2006, 03:23 PM

Fair enough, but how does the removal of the photos in any way help Apple's investigation?

d_and_n5000
Mar 20, 2006, 03:45 PM
Fair enough, but how does the removal of the photos in any way help Apple's investigation?
Buys time. This way, the media can't take it out of proportion quite as easily, which gives Apple more time until it gets really big to investigate.

bigandy
Mar 20, 2006, 03:51 PM
cat pee is never good. :rolleyes:

whooleytoo
Mar 20, 2006, 04:09 PM
Buys time. This way, the media can't take it out of proportion quite as easily, which gives Apple more time until it gets really big to investigate.

While this case does seem a little... odd, I still think this is a tad reckless from Apple. What if, hypothetically, this was a flaw in the Magsafe connector, which could trigger a fire/short-circuit/damage to the MBP/injury to the user.

I don't think Apple requesting that a public warning be taken down would reflect too favourably on them if someone needed to look for compensation.

(Note - I did say hypothetically!);)

Rocketman
Mar 20, 2006, 04:14 PM
I agree. Cat pee.

This is why Apple wanted it in their device archives and not on the internet :)

Darwinism rewarded :mad: :mad:

Rocketman

karabunga
Mar 20, 2006, 05:10 PM
To get the record straight: Apple did not force Rogier to delete the images on Flickr, they asked him to and he complied - prob because he got his new macbookpro...

backspinner
Mar 20, 2006, 05:34 PM
so that's why these systems are called "Pee Cee"...

definitely some acids involved here

w_parietti22
Mar 20, 2006, 06:02 PM
It looks simalar to what happened to my iBooks charger when I dropped it in a glass of milk and didnt notice it for probably 2 hours! :eek:

There goes $80. :(

beefstu01
Mar 20, 2006, 06:44 PM
While this case does seem a little... odd, I still think this is a tad reckless from Apple. What if, hypothetically, this was a flaw in the Magsafe connector, which could trigger a fire/short-circuit/damage to the MBP/injury to the user.

I don't think Apple requesting that a public warning be taken down would reflect too favourably on them if someone needed to look for compensation.

(Note - I did say hypothetically!);)

I really doubt this the case. A couple months ago my power adapter was acting up (the prongs were making popping sounds), called into AppleCare, and was dealt with quickly. The thing that stuck out most in my mind was the second guys first question-- "Are you okay?" Also, I had no wait time for the second rep. Apple seems to take product safety really seriously, so I doubt they'd try to cover anything up, especially something as serious as this. I think they requested the pictures be taken down to prevent any mass hysteria. If Apple found anything wrong with their design, I'm pretty sure Apple would call for an instant recall of all the PowerB... er, MacBooks.

macruler19
Mar 20, 2006, 07:20 PM
look
i mean like really,
would they recall it for one person?:mad:
(it might be good though):D

yac_moda
Mar 20, 2006, 07:27 PM
It's only one incident. If there was a serious product defect, we'd definitely have more of these images out there.

Of course, I'm sure most people aren't dumb enough to let their cats sleep on there multi-thousand dollar electronics. Buy the cat a $5 bed and have him sleep there....

The warmth of the aluminum is PERRRFECT for a crazy puss cat :eek:

pudrik
Mar 20, 2006, 08:44 PM
There's a difference between a design flaw and a manufacturing defect. If this is just one of those 0.2% that picks up some flaw, like not enough insulation applied somewhere, during manufacture, then there's no reason to overreact. Apple's taking the right move... replace it, investigate, see what needs to be done, and minimize PR damage until they know how to respond.

whooleytoo
Mar 20, 2006, 08:58 PM
I really doubt this the case. A couple months ago my power adapter was acting up (the prongs were making popping sounds), called into AppleCare, and was dealt with quickly. The thing that stuck out most in my mind was the second guys first question-- "Are you okay?" Also, I had no wait time for the second rep. Apple seems to take product safety really seriously, so I doubt they'd try to cover anything up, especially something as serious as this. I think they requested the pictures be taken down to prevent any mass hysteria. If Apple found anything wrong with their design, I'm pretty sure Apple would call for an instant recall of all the PowerB... er, MacBooks.

I'm seeing a number... 6.. no, 5300? ;)

No, I'm sure you're right. It's just hearing a company requesting information like this is taken down sets off a lot more alarm bells than the original message ever would have, in my case anyhow.

Stridder44
Mar 20, 2006, 09:00 PM
http://www.ilovepants.com/drawings/cats.jpg

My feelings exactly

tf5bassist
Mar 20, 2006, 09:01 PM
just for the record... cat piss changes to that color when it's heated up...

my vote's with cat piss as well.

yac_moda
Mar 20, 2006, 09:13 PM
CRAZY LITTLE BABY POOP :eek: :eek: :eek:

Marked the MacBook to keep it all to herself !!!

Platform
Mar 20, 2006, 09:59 PM
Good to see that Apple is fixing it asap....;)

iMeowbot
Mar 20, 2006, 10:25 PM
There seems to be a proud tradition at Apple with evil destructive cats (http://www.macmothership.com/gallery/newads/applebaked.gif).

taylorpohlman
Mar 20, 2006, 10:59 PM
There seems to be a proud tradition at Apple with evil destructive cats (http://www.macmothership.com/gallery/newads/applebaked.gif).

This post was a fun reminder of the past - I was the product marketing manager for the Apple ][ at Apple when we ran this ad, back in 1980, if I recall correctly. It was an absolutely true story that just cried out to be told widely. Frankly, the technology (Apple ][ with 6502 processor) was obsolete at that point, but the quality and the usefulness of the product were the things most important to customers, and this ad underscored it, in an era where there was a lot of junk being sold (anybody remember the "TRaSh-80"?).

As for the comments above about prioritizing calls/incidents that involve safety, that's exactly right. My experience in service tells me that if they're smart, and generally they are, then they have folks tuned in for anything that smacks of a safety problem. Missing pixels are one thing but anything that can cause a fire should cause an immediate scramble for a fix - there is no room for error in a potential safety recall and it is better to over-react than risk hurting somebody and/or a monumental lawsuit.
T

BWhaler
Mar 20, 2006, 11:44 PM
I hate to say it, but this reminds me of that doofus over at MacNet2 who cracked his 17" screen, and wanted Apple to repair it.

He claimed he just woke up and it was cracked. Apple told him to go pound sand.

He wrote many angry articles about it, everyone got worked up, and finally the guy disappeared after enough readers with experience in glass, computers, etc., pointed out the flaws in his stories.

I'm not saying this is the case. All I am saying is that a whole bunch of these have shipped, and one random dude with cats has had a problem. And the cleaning the computer before hand is highly suspect, IMHO.

raster
Mar 21, 2006, 08:48 AM
Does anyone think it might have been more than a "Request" from Apple.
They do seem to have 3 shifts of Lawyers working around the clock.

Arcus
Mar 21, 2006, 10:20 AM
Well, I just peed on my iBook and the charger blew up. For the record it does not have a mag safe connector.

I need to go to the liquor store now, Im going to pee on my iMac to see if anything happens to that.

I see a bad track record for pee and Apples building....

ScottB
Mar 21, 2006, 10:33 AM
Wow, I hope this dosn't turn into a problem for the new MacBook Pros, or even the MacBook later this year. Even though it's one guy, who wasn't even there, it still could be dangerous.

Eniregnat
Mar 21, 2006, 12:57 PM
Definitely not rust on the outside plastic. Isn't anyone here a pyro? Sheesh. When you burn plastic [or just heat it up nice 'n good] it gets all bubbly and toasty.

PS Cat Definitely at fault.

These pictures look bad, but since nobody else has suffered this kind of problem, I would bet that there is something else involved. What is bad is the press. I was kind of hoping for this kinds of connectors.

Some plastics, particularly in electronics, have a bromine compound added to reduce prolonged burning. Bromated plastics are supposed to be slowly phased out due to environmental concerns. While this looks grim, it doesn’t look like the plug kept burning, but rather put it's self out. The plastic also looks to be of the thermo set type, which means that instead of just softening, it chars and chemically changes. This kind of plastic is generally more expensive.

Anybody remember the Yo-Yo power adapter problems. I never had the issue, until I started unrolling the cord to the end. One day sparks and apple sent me a new power adapter no questions asked.

As far as cat pee, think about how the cat felt!

sartinsauce
Mar 21, 2006, 01:14 PM

Yeah, that was a good time. Very CSI. My heart actually raced and my gut clenched as we all played 'prove it or not'.

yac_moda
Mar 21, 2006, 04:17 PM
Does anybody know a good insurance company to get Puss Cat insurance from for my MacBook and how much it would cost :confused:

whooleytoo
Mar 21, 2006, 04:43 PM
Is this the first time a cat peed on a Tiger?

mbp33
Mar 22, 2006, 04:56 PM

boooooooooooooooooo

whooleytoo
Mar 22, 2006, 05:02 PM
boooooooooooooooooo

Don't give me that.. I KNOW you laughed, chuckled at least.. :D

mjstew33
Mar 22, 2006, 05:16 PM
:rolleyes:

yac_moda
Mar 23, 2006, 03:30 PM
Poor crazy little BABY POOP gotta POOP :eek:

(L)
Mar 26, 2006, 10:03 AM
C.) (Most Probable)
The cat was using the MBP and was amazed by the speed of the Core Duo processor causing the cat to lose its bladder over the MBP.

Lol.

(L)
Mar 26, 2006, 10:04 AM
They need CatSafe power adapters now...

trogdor!
Mar 27, 2006, 01:17 AM
What is it with cats and destroying technology?

sugarkane
Mar 27, 2006, 05:25 AM
how about getting the mith busters to check out the cat pee thing then we could all sleep better at nite ( and they love blowing up stuff!!!! )

sk

ClimbingTheLog
Mar 27, 2006, 06:45 PM
What is it with cats and destroying technology?

Cats hate people _and_ their technology. Dogs love people and think their technology is tasty. What are you gonna do?

NickBTruckin
May 23, 2008, 06:22 PM
my macbook is doing the same thing and i have never split anything on it.

1 year old