PDA

View Full Version : 40GB Toshiba Hard Drives


MacRumors
Jan 29, 2003, 08:43 PM
iPoding (http://www.ipoding.com/modules.php?op=modload&name=News&file=article&sid=994&mode=thread&order=0&thold=0) notes that Toshiba now lists (http://www.toshiba.com/taissdd/products.shtml) a 40GB version of the 1.8" HD that is used in Apple's iPod.

10GB and 20GB versions (http://www.macrumors.com/pages/2002/01/20020116133751.shtml) of Toshiba's drives were announced in January 2002 and then found their way into Apple's iPods in March 2002 (10GB) and July 2002 (20GB).

mcrain
Jan 29, 2003, 08:45 PM
Considering I thought any iPod was a silly thing to own, I can't believe I'm about to say this... but I'd trade my 20gig for a 40gig in a heartbeat!

MrMacMan
Jan 29, 2003, 08:46 PM
Sweet.

yzedf
Jan 29, 2003, 08:48 PM
the page describing the drive in detail is dead.

any ideas what the price of the bare drive is?

MacFan25
Jan 29, 2003, 08:48 PM
Hopefully iPod updates will come this week! :D

starflyer
Jan 29, 2003, 08:50 PM
my mp3/cd player was stolen from my car and now i have the money to buy a decent cd player and a 20g ipod. (they did a little damage to my sunroof and my employer is picking up my deductable.)...compUSA said they would let me trade if apple released something up to two weeks after i purchase something....should i wait or get the 20g?

Skandranon
Jan 29, 2003, 08:50 PM
An iPod that can hold ALL my music. :cool:


I love you, Apple.

DeusOmnis
Jan 29, 2003, 08:54 PM
If apple was smart they would have worked with toshiba to get thier ipods ready for the new hard drives, making it possible for them to release immediately.

yzedf
Jan 29, 2003, 09:00 PM
Originally posted by starflyer
my mp3/cd player was stolen from my car and now i have the money to buy a decent cd player and a 20g ipod. (they did a little damage to my sunroof and my employer is picking up my deductable.)...compUSA said they would let me trade if apple released something up to two weeks after i purchase something....should i wait or get the 20g?

20gig since the hdd has been around for awhile and is known to be reliable.

This new 40gig does not have a track record yet.

Rajj
Jan 29, 2003, 09:01 PM
This drive wont see its way into the iPod for about two or three months!! :(

I would use it for back up and mp3s, because my 10GB iPod is too small to back up all my stuff!!

I would also trade it in for my external Firewire HDD.it is just way to big!!

starflyer
Jan 29, 2003, 09:02 PM
Originally posted by yzedf


20gig since the hdd has been around for awhile and is known to be reliable.

This new 40gig does not have a track record yet.

good point...but do you think the only thing that will be updated will be the HDD?

pgwalsh
Jan 29, 2003, 09:04 PM
Originally posted by Skandranon
An iPod that can hold ALL my music. :cool:


I love you, Apple. You have to be kidding. How many MP3's do you have?

imamacguy17
Jan 29, 2003, 09:16 PM
well with 175 cds and another 10 with just mp3s (6.2 gigs or so) ill fill up 25 gigs easy. plus i buy cds like they were going out of style. as a music education major im always in the mood to see whats the next best thing in music. PS i never pirate (more than one song per day)

NanoDoc
Jan 29, 2003, 09:20 PM
Does anyone have any idea why the 5GB iPods are still out since last week? Also, the 10 and 20's have been at 5-7 day lead time since the same time last week (when they are normally 1-3 day waits) when the iMac's also went to a 5-7 day lead time. Any bright ideas?

CMH

Freg3000
Jan 29, 2003, 09:24 PM
Originally posted by xrhajj
This drive won?t see it?s way into the iPod for about two or three months!! :(

Why do you say that?

minimac
Jan 29, 2003, 09:35 PM
All I want is price drops and the ability to record to the iPod. It would be sweet to have a 40Gig, but it would be overkill for me since my iBook only has a 20G drive. :(

MacKid
Jan 29, 2003, 09:36 PM
Originally posted by MacFan25
Hopefully iPod updates will come this week! :D

You can probably expect them in 2 weeks to a month from now, as most people have been saying, I think Apple is trying to spread out the momentum from MacWorld.:D

MacKid
Jan 29, 2003, 09:37 PM
Originally posted by starflyer
my mp3/cd player was stolen from my car and now i have the money to buy a decent cd player and a 20g ipod. (they did a little damage to my sunroof and my employer is picking up my deductable.)...compUSA said they would let me trade if apple released something up to two weeks after i purchase something....should i wait or get the 20g?

I think you should wait, you have nothing to lose except instant gratification;) .

SoonToGetAMac
Jan 29, 2003, 09:53 PM
Originally posted by NanoDoc
Does anyone have any idea why the 5GB iPods are still out since last week? Also, the 10 and 20's have been at 5-7 day lead time since the same time last week (when they are normally 1-3 day waits) when the iMac's also went to a 5-7 day lead time. Any bright ideas?

CMH

Something is definately up, because look at the CD-RW FP iMac, it has a 2-3 week wait (I think), and you can still order one, but the 5GB iPod cannot even be ordered...so something is definately up.

SoonToGetAMac
Jan 29, 2003, 09:54 PM
Originally posted by imamacguy17
well with 175 cds and another 10 with just mp3s (6.2 gigs or so) ill fill up 25 gigs easy. plus i buy cds like they were going out of style. as a music education major im always in the mood to see whats the next best thing in music. PS i never pirate (more than one song per day)

Haha....:D, not to talk about pirating, but I must have like 20 of MP3 only albums from eMusic, its a great service, but a little overpriced.

PsiFire
Jan 29, 2003, 10:03 PM
Originally posted by MacKid


You can probably expect them in 2 weeks to a month from now, as most people have been saying, I think Apple is trying to spread out the momentum from MacWorld.:D

My guess would be not until March. If you notice over on the apple gift guide http://www.apple.com/giftguide/ the iPod splash add mentions customization of the 10 or 20 Gig iPod with no mention of the 5. So I see a 40 coming soon, but not too soon.

Skandranon
Jan 29, 2003, 10:19 PM
Originally posted by pgwalsh
You have to be kidding. How many MP3's do you have?

6390 and counting.... 36.21 GB. I've been waiting over a year for a 40G iPod.

:D

rjrufo
Jan 29, 2003, 10:20 PM
Looking at the specs for the 10 vs. 20 gig iPods, the 20 gig is .7oz heavier and .12in thicker. How much bigger will a 40 gig iPod be? Geez, all that weight could pull my arm out of my socket when I lift it. (Just kidding.) :rolleyes:
Actually, I just finished ripping all of my CD's onto my hard drive, so a 20 gig would just hold all of 'em, guess I better wait for the 40 for future CD purchases.

Sol
Jan 29, 2003, 10:26 PM
Music collections are one of those things where you always know someone who has a bigger one. No matter what hard drive capacities we get, someone will always say that it is not enough. For the average music collection 20GB would be enough. When 40GB drives make their way into iPods it would be time for Apple to integrate video playback into them, otherwise for most people the extra space would be a waste.

shadowfax
Jan 29, 2003, 10:35 PM
Originally posted by rjrufo
Looking at the specs for the 10 vs. 20 gig iPods, the 20 gig is .7oz heavier and .12in thicker. How much bigger will a 40 gig iPod be? Geez, all that weight could pull my arm out of my socket when I lift it. (Just kidding.) :rolleyes:
Actually, I just finished ripping all of my CD's onto my hard drive, so a 20 gig would just hold all of 'em, guess I better wait for the 40 for future CD purchases.

yeah. but regardless of what you want, i would wait. i bet you save at least 100$ on the 20 when the 40 is out. maybe more. i am crossing my fingers. i hope a reseller puts out the old 5s for 200-250. i would be all over that. as it is, my pocketbook can't put up 300$ for a music player.

WannabeSQ
Jan 29, 2003, 11:11 PM
Any word on Pricing? if they go down like the desktops (meaning previous top of the line moves to middle road pricing) i might just sell my 10 gig and buy a 20 gig for little to no loss. Is this a good idea? I have over 40gb of mp3s anyway, so im not looking to fit em all in, but more breathing room would be nice, especially since i am getting into audio books...

Abstract
Jan 30, 2003, 01:12 AM
Its overkill for me. I think I have 5 GB of mp3's, since I only occasionally rip the CD's that I buy. I'm sure the new lineup of iPods has the 10, 20, and 40 GB capacity. And if they read rumour sites, (and we all know that Apple does this), they'll add a feature that allows you to record with it. The only reason they wouldn't add this feature is if it adds too much bulk or weight onto it. And remember that in the portable world, ANY extra bulk and weight is bad. If the dimensions and weight of the the iPod both grow by 10-15%, it may already be undesirably big and heavy. Who knows what a 40GB HD and/or a recording feature/audio in would do to the size.

Sol
Jan 30, 2003, 01:19 AM
Steve Jobs mat have said that he read the rumour sites but that is not the same as Apple reading them and implementing features in the iPod that posters request. If that was the case then we would have another hand-held and x86 processors in Macs by now.

pgwalsh
Jan 30, 2003, 02:20 AM
Originally posted by Sol
Steve Jobs mat have said that he read the rumour sites but that is not the same as Apple reading them and implementing features in the iPod that posters request. If that was the case then we would have another hand-held and x86 processors in Macs by now. Well I wouldn't say all the ideas people have here are that bad. There's been some great ideas and imagination thrown down on these here threads.

Paul Turpin
Jan 30, 2003, 03:53 AM
All I want is price drops and the ability to record to the iPod. It would be sweet to have a 40Gig, but it would be overkill for me since my iBook only has a 20G drive.

No it wouldn't - you could use your iPod to back up your iBook's contents completely!!!! (and still have 20gb of music of course). :cool:

And on the topic of "fitting my whole collection"
A 40gb iPod will fit at least 500 CD's right? I'm guessing about 85mb per album (60 minutes at 192kbps rate encoding). I've got 3250 CDs and counting - so I'm waiting for the 200Gb iPod. By the time they make it, I'll need the 300Gb iPod though.

Although, come to think of it - do I really want all that bad 80's music with me every day?

rjrufo
Jan 30, 2003, 07:46 AM
Originally posted by Paul Turpin

I've got 3250 CDs and counting - so I'm waiting for the 200Gb iPod. By the time they make it, I'll need the 300Gb iPod though.

Although, come to think of it - do I really want all that bad 80's music with me every day?

3250? Wow, I thought I had a lot, but compaired to you, I have none. 473 CDs took me a long time to rip, I could only imagine how long it would take you to rip all of yours.

TheInevitable
Jan 30, 2003, 08:14 AM
40 GB is (in most cases) overkill for mp3s, but what about mp4s? Wouldn't it be great to have an iPod that syncs with iMovie? (Or something like that) And has RCA outs to connect to a TV?

chabig
Jan 30, 2003, 08:36 AM
The 40GB Toshiba drive is the same size phsyically as the 20GB drive, so it would fit into the existing iPod form factor. As for weight, we don't know until Toshiba posts the information, but since it no doubt has more platters, it probably is a few grams heavier.

Chris

Hmm
Jan 30, 2003, 08:43 AM
Originally posted by chabig
but since it no doubt has more platters, it probably is a few grams heavier.

Oh, forget that then. Just throw the thing in the trash.

sugati
Jan 30, 2003, 08:50 AM
i was looking around for 5gb windows ipods this morning, and i went to CDW's site and did a search for ipod.

http://www.cdw.com/shop/search/results.asp?key=ipod

what i found interesting, was at the very bottom of the list was a 10GB Ipod that had a different Mft ID than the other two mac and windows Ipods, and it was listed as a PRE-ORDER. Plus the price was $437. Am I reading too much into this? Check it out.

bperkins
Jan 30, 2003, 09:24 AM
I just emailed my rep at CDW to inquire. He replied

" I have a note on that part number that it might not be released, let me see what's going on with that. In the meantime, how does your mom like that Apple?"



I have to be honest though they ususally do not have the new stuff listed until two to three weeks after Apple releases something. Prime example are the new Powerbooks. Although he usually can find it before they list on the CDW site.

sugati
Jan 30, 2003, 09:28 AM
ahhh, so perhaps its just a fluke thing on the site. it's definitely weird though.

oh, and thanks for checking with a CDW rep, that's a good contact to have.

minimac
Jan 30, 2003, 09:31 AM
Originally posted by Paul Turpin


No it wouldn't - you could use your iPod to back up your iBook's contents completely!!!! (and still have 20gb of music of course). :cool:


In that case I need more "base" storage to rip the rest of my cds. I guess I have to get an iMac when they're updated too. I just wish my bank account agreed with me. :eek:

bperkins
Jan 30, 2003, 09:37 AM
Originally posted by sugati
ahhh, so perhaps its just a fluke thing on the site. it's definitely weird though.

oh, and thanks for checking with a CDW rep, that's a good contact to have.

He came back with:

"Look at 411136 - that is the 10G MAC iPod"

and

"they are not sure yet of a date for the PB's. For the iPod, I am showing that it has a discontinued date already so it might not get released, I would stick with the number I gave you.

But if you look at the shipping times they are all 1-2 weeks except 10GB (4-6 Days) for the 20GB MAC/Win models.

Your welcome. He is a good contact. I keep bugging him to get me some info about when the new 15" Powerbooks are coming.

sugati
Jan 30, 2003, 09:40 AM
ahh yeah, haha, it's still confusing to me. i'll probably check that over the next few days to see what happens with that sku.

sanford
Jan 30, 2003, 10:10 AM
Originally posted by Sol
For the average music collection 20GB would be enough.

Actually, you'd be surprised, but the average music collection is something like 30 CDs; not enough to fill up a 5 GB iPod. I bought a 5 GB iPod when they were released, then 10 GB when it was released, as my music collection hit right around 18 GB. Now my collection on my Mac is right at 21 GB (about 450 CDs). I haven't been buying a lot lately so this figure has remained fairly static, but I know that in the future, a slew of new stuff will be released that peaks my interest, or I'll discover the back catalog of an artist I had not previously listened to. So, my music library is just going to grow. That's why I gave up on chasing my music collection around with the size of my iPod; instead, I use iTunes to manage collections of specific and random playlists so that I have a 10 GB selection of my music in a portable format.

digitalbiker
Jan 30, 2003, 11:03 AM
Maybe Apple will upgrade the ipod to a color audio / video device for playing QT movies. 40 gb gives them a lot more of the needed disk space to play longer videos.:cool:

sparks9
Jan 30, 2003, 11:07 AM
It would not make sense to add video, color-screen and recording to the iPod. The iPod is a player made to play music, not be some kind of PDA or recording studio. Who wants to record from stereo anyway you will still have to add ID3tags later on with the computer. But it would make sense to add a small mic. so you could use it for voice-memos.
I'mm 99.9 % sure that Apple wont add a color screen or videoplayback to the new line of iPods. The iPod is a music player!

BTW: All those rumors about the iPod and firewire800 are complete nonsense. Why would Apple add fw800 to the iPod when only the new PBs and PMs have the fw800 port. That would mean that you would have to buy a new Mac to use the iPod - stupid! BTW the HD in the iPod cannot keep up with the fw400 speeds already, so they would have to update the HDs too to add fw800 support.

I think the new iPods will be released feb. 11th.

yzedf
Jan 30, 2003, 11:15 AM
Originally posted by starflyer


good point...but do you think the only thing that will be updated will be the HDD?

Yes. And a price drop. $50-$100 depending on size?

starflyer
Jan 30, 2003, 11:39 AM
Originally posted by bperkins


He came back with:

"Look at 411136 - that is the 10G MAC iPod"

and

"they are not sure yet of a date for the PB's. For the iPod, I am showing that it has a discontinued date already so it might not get released, I would stick with the number I gave you.

But if you look at the shipping times they are all 1-2 weeks except 10GB (4-6 Days) for the 20GB MAC/Win models.

Your welcome. He is a good contact. I keep bugging him to get me some info about when the new 15" Powerbooks are coming.

maybe this is what you said but my cdw rep said that the 454089 is the discontinued model and the new one will be shipping like feb 3ish(my BD)...different id #'s =different specs?

yzedf
Jan 30, 2003, 11:40 AM
how soon until ogg vorbis support? with that, size is not as much of an issue as with mp3's.

plus... ogg is royalty free, unlike mp3.

sugati
Jan 30, 2003, 12:41 PM
well, i recently lost my ipod like a moron, and tried to buy one last weekend, and every place i went they didn't have it. so i figured something was up maybe.

anyway, now i'm just going to wait a couple of weeks, see if anything happens, and if nothing does, i'll just buy a 10gb.

Chomolungma
Jan 30, 2003, 01:03 PM
an FM radio tuner would be nice.

BTW...has anyone try using those expensive Bose earphone with their iPod? If so, does it effect battery life on the iPod?

evoluzione
Jan 30, 2003, 01:53 PM
Originally posted by rjrufo
Looking at the specs for the 10 vs. 20 gig iPods, the 20 gig is .7oz heavier and .12in thicker. How much bigger will a 40 gig iPod be?

yeah but wasn't the 10gig iPod made slimmer than the 5gig? so maybe the new 40 will be the original thickness when the 5gig was first anounced in Nov'01

LethalWolfe
Jan 30, 2003, 02:04 PM
Originally posted by pgwalsh
You have to be kidding. How many MP3's do you have?


You also have to factor in the quality of the mp3's. The de facto standard of 128 is too low for my tastes. It's fine for previewing songs (aka downloading them), but if it's a song I wanna keep I need better quality.

Lethal

shadowfax
Jan 30, 2003, 02:59 PM
Originally posted by LethalWolfe



You also have to factor in the quality of the mp3's. The de facto standard of 128 is too low for my tastes. It's fine for previewing songs (aka downloading them), but if it's a song I wanna keep I need better quality.

Lethal

yeah, 196 usually does the trick for me, though i would use 256 if iTunes let me.

alex06
Jan 30, 2003, 04:17 PM
iTunes let you choose up to 320 kbps !
Just choose "Customize" and select the desired bitrate .

MacKid
Jan 30, 2003, 04:46 PM
Originally posted by Chomolungma
an FM radio tuner would be nice.

BTW...has anyone try using those expensive Bose earphone with their iPod? If so, does it effect battery life on the iPod?

Do you mean the Noise Cancellers? If so, there's no effect on battery life, and I don't see why there would be.:rolleyes:

shadowfax
Jan 30, 2003, 06:58 PM
Originally posted by MacKid


Do you mean the Noise Cancellers? If so, there's no effect on battery life, and I don't see why there would be.:rolleyes:

ah, don't be condescending. i think you are right that they don't kill battery any more, but it would sure make sense if they did. that's where you are wrong. i mean, think about it, they are playing music like every other headphone set, plus they are cancelling outside noise. this is not a passive task that is automatic (at least, not on the ones i used 2 years ago). they have to monitor the noise in the environment and emit a frequency pattern that cancels the local frequency. this is actually a pretty complex process, which is why they are so expensive. it is only intuitive that this would take more power, much like adding a firewire drive to my laptop would. but that's not conclusive. i don't know any statistics on how much power they actually use, compared to, say, earbud speakers, or if you prefer, circum-aural ones like my Sennheiser HD 590s.

MacKid
Jan 30, 2003, 07:13 PM
Originally posted by Shadowfax


ah, don't be condescending. i think you are right that they don't kill battery any more, but it would sure make sense if they did. that's where you are wrong. i mean, think about it, they are playing music like every other headphone set, plus they are cancelling outside noise. this is not a passive task that is automatic (at least, not on the ones i used 2 years ago). they have to monitor the noise in the environment and emit a frequency pattern that cancels the local frequency. this is actually a pretty complex process, which is why they are so expensive. it is only intuitive that this would take more power, much like adding a firewire drive to my laptop would. but that's not conclusive. i don't know any statistics on how much power they actually use, compared to, say, earbud speakers, or if you prefer, circum-aural ones like my Sennheiser HD 590s.

Whoa! There's a lot more to it than I thought! But is it possible to get electricity powerful enough for anything more than a speaker (and possibly one of those cool chrome remotes)? Just curious:) .

jettredmont
Jan 30, 2003, 07:17 PM
Originally posted by Shadowfax


ah, don't be condescending. i think you are right that they don't kill battery any more, but it would sure make sense if they did. that's where you are wrong. i mean, think about it, they are playing music like every other headphone set, plus they are cancelling outside noise.

Most noise-cancelling headphones (not sure about this particular model) have their own set of batteries driving the noise-cancellation circuitry.

Given the rather lax headphone-output spec, I'd be surprised if anyone tried to drive circuitry more complex than a headphone speaker off the current coming out of a headphones jack. Might work on one device, but the next device would likely not work. Not a general-purpose solution.

DavPeanut
Jan 30, 2003, 07:38 PM
Originally posted by Skandranon
6390 and counting.... 36.21 GB. I've been waiting over a year for a 40G iPod.

:D
Where did you get them all? I want to be a DJ, possibly, and I need to make my collection grow.

shadowfax
Jan 30, 2003, 07:57 PM
Originally posted by jettredmont


Most noise-cancelling headphones (not sure about this particular model) have their own set of batteries driving the noise-cancellation circuitry.

Given the rather lax headphone-output spec, I'd be surprised if anyone tried to drive circuitry more complex than a headphone speaker off the current coming out of a headphones jack. Might work on one device, but the next device would likely not work. Not a general-purpose solution.

oh. yeah, i forgot, there was a battery pack. i just tried them on a plane on the way to munich my sophomore year... almost 3 years ago, actually. thanks for the heads up.

BillyShears
Jan 30, 2003, 08:28 PM
Hmm, 5 gigs are out of stock "with no back order date"...

kansaigaijin
Jan 30, 2003, 10:03 PM
"That would mean that you would have to buy a new Mac to use the iPod -"

exactly, typical Apple style.

but seriously, I like this giant drive in a iPod thing couse it makes for an extremely compact back up and/or portable drive!

as for the remark about Apple should be working with Toshiba to ready for the drives, you can be sure Apple knows all about what Toshiba has in the pipeline, it is all a matter of marketing as to when a new one comes out (compared to the arrival of new technology).

shadowfax
Jan 30, 2003, 10:08 PM
Originally posted by kansaigaijin
"That would mean that you would have to buy a new Mac to use the iPod -"

exactly, typical Apple style.

but seriously, I like this giant drive in a iPod thing couse it makes for an extremely compact back up and/or portable drive!

as for the remark about Apple should be working with Toshiba to ready for the drives, you can be sure Apple knows all about what Toshiba has in the pipeline, it is all a matter of marketing as to when a new one comes out (compared to the arrival of new technology).

is FW 800 not backwards compatible? heck that'd put a damper on that technology for me... guess it makes sense though, otherwise they would only have FW800 ports on the new macs, right?

and that makes me question somethign else. what's with this year? airport extreme is new macs only too. blah, this is all strange.

pgwalsh
Jan 30, 2003, 10:19 PM
FW 800 is backwards compatable, but unlike USB 2 the connectors are different. That means you need an adapter to hook up an older firewire device. Also, everything on that bus will run at the older firewire speed and you will not gain the advantage.

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

shadowfax
Jan 30, 2003, 10:30 PM
Originally posted by pgwalsh
FW 800 is backwards compatable, but unlike USB 2 the connectors are different. That means you need an adapter to hook up an older firewire device. Also, everything on that bus will run at the older firewire speed and you will not gain the advantage.

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

well that's not so bad. wouldn't that mean apple would have a FW800 cable and a FW400 cable in the new iPod? i mean, they would lose their windows market if it weren't back compatible. no one is that stupid. but the ipod seems like a device that could also benefit from FW800. at the least, they wouldn't want to have mac users with new macs plugging it into their FW800 series only to have it slow all the devices down.

Sol
Jan 30, 2003, 10:31 PM
Yes, FireWire 2 is compatible with FireWire 1 through adaptor cables (which have not hit the market yet). The only reason Apple would use FireWire 2 for the next iPod is that maybe the battery could be recharged faster than the current implementation. Other than that, hard-drive speed would not be affected.

shadowfax
Jan 30, 2003, 10:47 PM
Originally posted by Sol
Yes, FireWire 2 is compatible with FireWire 1 through adaptor cables (which have not hit the market yet). The only reason Apple would use FireWire 2 for the next iPod is that maybe the battery could be recharged faster than the current implementation. Other than that, hard-drive speed would not be affected.

but does FW1 on an FW2 series force the entire series to FW1 speed? that would be another reason, i think. ATA is like that, i know. i wonder if USB is.

pgwalsh
Jan 30, 2003, 11:25 PM
Originally posted by Shadowfax


but does FW1 on an FW2 series force the entire series to FW1 speed? that would be another reason, i think. ATA is like that, i know. i wonder if USB is. not quite following what you're saying here buddy.

If firewire is on firewire 800 then all devices will run at firewire speed. I don't know if usb is like this, but I would imagine it would be.

I think FireWire 800 would be good with an Oxford 911 bridge and a 10,000 to 15,000 rpm drive. That to me, would be a good combo. Anyone else?

shadowfax
Jan 30, 2003, 11:35 PM
Originally posted by pgwalsh
not quite following what you're saying here buddy.

If firewire is on firewire 800 then all devices will run at firewire speed. I don't know if usb is like this, but I would imagine it would be.

I think FireWire 800 would be good with an Oxford 911 bridge and a 10,000 to 15,000 rpm drive. That to me, would be a good combo. Anyone else?

i am saying that, as you say (and i said, and someone before me) that having an FW device in a FW2 series-- like, you have your iPod and said 15000 rpm drive daisy chained, say--that forces both devices to be FW, and not get any benefit from FW2, even though you have an FW2 port and your 15000 rpm hard drive is FW2. apple would want to make the new iPods FW2 not because it helps the iPod, but to keep the iPod from hurting other devices on an FW2 series. does that make sense?

pgwalsh
Jan 30, 2003, 11:46 PM
Originally posted by Shadowfax


i am saying that, as you say (and i said, and someone before me) that having an FW device in a FW2 series-- like, you have your iPod and said 15000 rpm drive daisy chained, say--that forces both devices to be FW, and not get any benefit from FW2, even though you have an FW2 port and your 15000 rpm hard drive is FW2. apple would want to make the new iPods FW2 not because it helps the iPod, but to keep the iPod from hurting other devices on an FW2 series. does that make sense? isync with you now.

Sol
Jan 31, 2003, 12:17 AM
Since iPods only have one FireWire port they would not be daisy chained to any other devices.

I understand what you are saying about FireWire 1 peripherals slowing down a FireWire 2 chain. USB 2.0 does this when you plug USB 1.0 peripherals (maybe this is the reason Apple does not support 2.0), Airport Extreme does it when vanilla Airport devices are part of its network, and ATA devices do it when slower IDE devices are part of its chain (this is why SuperDrives are not on the same bus as the hard drives in PowerMac systems). Considering that SCSI also did this, it is safe to assume the FireWire 2 functions in the same way.

Personally, the biggest draw to FireWire 2 is its networking potential. Apparently Cat 5 cable can carry FireWire 2 signals to at least 100 meters. I could network two Macs with FireWire and use the ethernet port for my ADSL modem.

mc68k
Jan 31, 2003, 12:28 AM
40GB (@1000K=1MB) is nice for file storage, but as for music, Apple needs to migrate to AAC. more songs on the same density.

i think a 40GB would be a niche market. 5, 10, 20, are good for the current consumer spread, IMO.

shadowfax
Jan 31, 2003, 12:29 AM
Originally posted by Sol
Since iPods only have one FireWire port they would not be daisy chained to any other devices.

yes, but you can plug it into the end of a series of FW2 devices, namely HDDs, that can be daisy chained. so it is still an issue.


Personally, the biggest draw to FireWire 2 is its networking potential. Apparently Cat 5 cable can carry FireWire 2 signals to at least 100 meters. I could network two Macs with FireWire and use the ethernet port for my ADSL modem.

that's awesome. i didn't know they could use cat5. how does that work?

shadowfax
Jan 31, 2003, 12:38 AM
Originally posted by mc68k
40GB (@1000K=1MB) is nice for file storage, but as for music, Apple needs to migrate to AAC. more songs on the same density.

i think a 40GB would be a niche market. 5, 10, 20, are good for the current consumer spread, IMO.

you're right about the niche market. i know very few people with 40GB of mp3s, but they are fanatic about it, and would buy up a 40 GB in minutes. and personally, i think that would be a great tool for me too, even though i just have 7.2 GB of mp3s. i mean, it'd be nice to put all my apps on an iPod and take them places too.

of course, as it is, i take my 60 GB tiBook around, so i wouldn't spend another 500$ or more to get a 40 GB... but still.

MhzDoesMatter
Jan 31, 2003, 12:43 AM
Originally posted by Shadowfax


i am saying that, as you say (and i said, and someone before me) that having an FW device in a FW2 series-- like, you have your iPod and said 15000 rpm drive daisy chained, say--that forces both devices to be FW, and not get any benefit from FW2, even though you have an FW2 port and your 15000 rpm hard drive is FW2. apple would want to make the new iPods FW2 not because it helps the iPod, but to keep the iPod from hurting other devices on an FW2 series. does that make sense?

I feel you, but its not really an issue. As far as I know, all new units that feature FW800 have seperate ports for 400 & 800. So you could start your own chains for each standard. Now, unless some bootlegged lack of tech has both of the ports connected on the MB, then you could run both on your NEW comps and not have that problem.

-Hertz

shadowfax
Jan 31, 2003, 12:48 AM
Originally posted by MhzDoesMatter


I feel you, but its not really an issue. As far as I know, all new units that feature FW800 have seperate ports for 400 & 800. So you could start your own chains for each standard. Now, unless some bootlegged lack of tech has both of the ports connected on the MB, then you could run both on your NEW comps and not have that problem.

-Hertz

you're right about the separate FW and FW2 things. i forgot.

you know what would be funny though: a 1.8 inch 15000 rpm ipod. dang, that would be a hell of a marketing pitch. transfer your entire library in under 5 minutes or something.

then you'd have all these reports of people burning themselves by keeping their iPods in their pockets.

they'd have to put those airline warning signs from "OK, Computer" on the back of the thing--you know, the fire on board things...

yeah, anyways.

GrandShenlong
Jan 31, 2003, 07:22 AM
I don't think Apple should implement 15,000-rpm drives in the iPods. First of all, the faster it is, the noisier it is. Also, the reason that current HDDs are limited to their current specs is because if their speed is bumped up even more, their outer edges would break the sound barrier at maximum speed (I read this somewhere, pretty sure it's accurate). So, it would follow that the faster the hard drive, the more prone it is to bumps and shakes. Also, do you really NEED to backup your entire HDD in under 5 minutes? I mean, do you do that between classes, thrice per coffee break? Personally, I think it'd be useless. iPods are fine the way they are.

P.S. - though I'm still waiting for SOME kind of update before buying one :D

sugati
Jan 31, 2003, 07:34 AM
again, along the same lines as the link from CDW I posted earlier, I checked out CompUSA's site for ipods this morning and found some weird anomalies.

http://www.compusa.com/products/products.asp?srch_type=mfg&mfg_id=990&page_num=2

There are two ipods in the list that stand out from the others as odd.

iPod 10GB MP3 Player
Product Number:292312
Brand: Apple $349.88

iPod MP3 Player
Product Number:288491
Brand: Apple $399.99


just find it strange really. maybe those have always been listed there.

sparks9
Jan 31, 2003, 09:21 AM
Originally posted by sugati
again, along the same lines as the link from CDW I posted earlier, I checked out CompUSA's site for ipods this morning and found some weird anomalies.

http://www.compusa.com/products/products.asp?srch_type=mfg&mfg_id=990&page_num=2

There are two ipods in the list that stand out from the others as odd.

iPod 10GB MP3 Player
Product Number:292312
Brand: Apple $349.88

iPod MP3 Player
Product Number:288491
Brand: Apple $399.99


just find it strange really. maybe those have always been listed there.

Well that's just the old iPods, without remote and case and using scrolwheel... nothing new there.

vanillamike
Jan 31, 2003, 10:08 AM
Hey,

I was just looking at Toshiba Storage Device Devision (http://www.toshiba.com/taissdd/products.shtml) website and the listing and the link for the 40 GB 1.8" HDD (0.8mm) drive is no longer there. Hmm I wonder if they meant to have that up there in the first place. The probably noticed all the hits they were getting with people trying to click the 40 GB link.

Mike

KLFloyd
Jan 31, 2003, 08:20 PM
I'm a member over at the Apple Discussion boards and one of the guys over there ordered a 5GB iPod just a day or two before Apple (Mid January) put up their out of stock notice and he received his iPod today. (He was quoted a ship date of mid Feb.)

I asked him to keep me posted when his iPod arrived and if he noticed any changes and this is what he posted. I received the reply immediatley because I signed up for the e-mail notification. Will be interested to see if Apple trashes the post soon...

Usage: Are the 5GB iPods on backorder? --
RE: Are the 5GB iPods on backorder?.

hey all
i recieved my 5 GB iPod today and i think its the one with the scroll wheel. anyways im very pleased its simply amazing.

sean


View/reply at RE: Are the 5GB iPods on backorder? <http://discussions.info.apple.com/WebX?13@@.3bbe6ca4/17>

vanillamike
Jan 31, 2003, 10:12 PM
When he says "the one with the scroll wheel" does he mean a touch scroll wheel or the mechanical one?

Mike

KLFloyd
Jan 31, 2003, 10:50 PM
Originally posted by vanillamike
When he says "the one with the scroll wheel" does he mean a touch scroll wheel or the mechanical one?

Mike

Sorry, i have no idea. I just posted word for word what he wrote. I left a message in the forum asking him for more info, will let you know if I hear anything...

sparks9
Feb 1, 2003, 05:14 AM
He means the "old" mechanical wheel.

RedEric
Feb 2, 2003, 05:07 PM
Went to buy a 20gb iPod today and none of the main retailers in the UK could get one for me. Apparently the same applies for the 10gb. Both suppliers said that it was due to Apple "not replenishing their stock for SOME time"

MacFan25
Feb 2, 2003, 08:44 PM
I don't know if I can wait much longer on the iPods. Hopefully, some updates will come this week.

pyrex
Feb 2, 2003, 09:17 PM
heh, i was waiting out, then i was like screw it, so i got a 20 gb ipod today