iMovie and iphoto

Software update!

Chad4Mac

edesignuk
Jan 31, 2003, 02:16 PM
THANKU! :)

Chad4Mac
Jan 31, 2003, 02:17 PM
I guess I was the first to announce, right?

What a great feeling!

...downloading

Chad4Mac

buffsldr
Jan 31, 2003, 02:22 PM
Nice job, chad. let the games begin

dricci
Jan 31, 2003, 02:26 PM
Notice that the iMovie 3 update is version 3.0.1 (at least for me). I guess something was wrong with 3.0.0 (I wonder what version is shipping on the CD...)

Fortunately, the 0.1 update is only 950KB.

Wkaemena
Jan 31, 2003, 02:26 PM
...downloading..... 20:23 GMT.. ( Lisbon):D

theringer
Jan 31, 2003, 02:27 PM
Both apps are available directly from Apple's website now, too. There's a link to the download on each respective page. :)

Freg3000
Jan 31, 2003, 02:28 PM
Originally posted by dricci
Notice that the iMovie 3 update is version 3.0.1 (at least for me). I guess something was wrong with 3.0.0 (I wonder what version is shipping on the CD...)

The retail version is also version 3.0.1. I suppose something was wrong with 3.0.

ExoticFish
Jan 31, 2003, 02:29 PM
I'm dling now! I called my local CompUSA this morning to see if they had iLife and they said that they didn't have any in site, but I don't know if the lady I talked to knew what she was looking for! I just might have to take off work a little early to see if they have it in! :D

edesignuk
Jan 31, 2003, 02:29 PM
Originally posted by Chad4Mac
I guess I was the first to announce, right?

Yup, I think so....but I'm sure you won't be the last :rolleyes: ;) I'm expecting a dozen more threads on the same subject any time now.

iBot
Jan 31, 2003, 02:34 PM
I can't figure out how to create an html-format page of pix in iPhoto 2. It used to be a feature of iphoto 1 -- now it seems as though Apple may have disabled that function, limiting Web page creation to those who subscribe to .mac...

Or am I mistaken?

EDIT: Turns out you can still create an html page without a .Mac subscription, via the File menu Export command...

GloverCom
Jan 31, 2003, 02:38 PM
I just bought my copy of iLife at the CompUSA on Market in San Francisco.

There were only a few left on the shelf, but they may have had more stocked somewhere.

Interestingly, there are 2 CD

One "Install CD" with iTunes3, iPhoto 2, iMovie 3

And One "Install DVD" with those three, PLUS iDVD on it.

I suppose it makes sense since you'll need a DVD to use iDVD, duh.

Gus
Jan 31, 2003, 02:42 PM
Thank you for the heads up Chad!

Wow! Combined 117MB DL!

Regards,
Gus

Chad4Mac
Jan 31, 2003, 02:49 PM
Originally posted by Gus
Thank you for the heads up Chad!

Wow! Combined 117MB DL!

Regards,
Gus

I'm always looking for out for you guys and gals!

Chad4Mac

Bear
Jan 31, 2003, 02:56 PM
I wonder if Apple has to schedule these software updates with it's ISP?

These large updates must place a lot of demand on Apple's internet connection(s).

I expect we won't see anything else large updated for at least a week to give time to get the current download rush over with.

Macmaniac
Jan 31, 2003, 03:07 PM
At my AOL speed it will take hours to download:( Thankfully I have freiends wit Cable Modems.

Codemonkey
Jan 31, 2003, 03:07 PM
Originally posted by Bear
I wonder if Apple has to schedule these software updates with it's ISP?

These large updates must place a lot of demand on Apple's internet connection(s).

I expect we won't see anything else large updated for at least a week to give time to get the current download rush over with.

Yeah, could you imagine people away on vacation or business or whatever coming back a week or so from now only to find in Software Update iPhoto, iMovie and 10.2.4? LOL Pauvre pauvre dialup user. ;)

However, the alternative is a very reasonalbe $50 US for those who can't/won't download it.

As a point of note after downloading the latest Dev Tools earlier today: I find it amazing that at any given time I can reach a minimum of 150k/s downloading off of apple.com, and regularly over 225k/s. I can't imagine their bandwidth/pipe/server bills. :eek:

iSmell
Jan 31, 2003, 03:08 PM
Originally posted by iBot
I can't figure out how to create an html-format page of pix in iPhoto 2. It used to be a feature of iphoto 1 -- now it seems as though Apple may have disabled that function, limiting Web page creation to those who subscribe to .mac...

Or am I mistaken?

I still have the old version and it seems to only be able to publish to my dot-I'm-a-sucker account. I think that's always how it's been. Don't those pages use scripts and stuff from the .mac servers so they wouldn't work on other servers?
I don't know much about this feature. I never use it, I prefer to stubbornly program my own html (or php, too bad .mac doesn't run it :-\).

I don't think I can let myself dl this yet because I'm supposed to be writing a chapter my thesis right now. Distractions...

iSmell
Jan 31, 2003, 03:13 PM
Originally posted by Codemonkey

Yeah, could you imagine people away on vacation or business or whatever coming back a week or so from now only to find in Software Update iPhoto, iMovie and 10.2.4? LOL Pauvre pauvre dialup user. ;)

However, the alternative is a very reasonalbe $50 US for those who can't/won't download it.

I remember last summer a friend of mine wanted iPhoto, but didn't want to download it over dial up do he went to an apple store, downloaded it there in about a second and burned it onto a CD. I think he asked one of the sales guys first just so they wouldn't think he was stealing stuff, but they didn't care. I wonder if they would mind now that they're selling $50 boxes right there.
Anyway, it's good excuse to visit an apple store and it's a lot nicer than waiting for downloads, plus you've got it on a cd in case you crash and burn.

(sorry to double post, I've been doing that a lot lately)

Gus
Jan 31, 2003, 03:16 PM
Originally posted by dricci

You know, I'm guessing that the week delay was because of this. Whatever issue iMovie 3.0 had, Apple wanted to fix it before they released it. Maybe they had to make all new CDs?

Regards,
Gus

unc32
Jan 31, 2003, 03:28 PM
Has anyone tried iPhoto2 yet? It seems very slow on my iMac 700 with 1gb of ram. Is it just me?

adamberti
Jan 31, 2003, 03:50 PM
Hmm, I keep my apps in seperate folders, not all in the applications folder, so I had to move the new versions into their appropriate folder and put them in dock, while taking out the old ones, something I've become accustomed to.

However, once doing that they (both iMovie and iPhoto ) had pure white box icons. the dock no longer magnified. So I killed the dock, and it restarted itself, and it works fine now, but I cant drag anything out of the dock, only into, and iMovie and iPhoto still have white boxes. Hrmm.. Can't do a full restart yet, downloading something, but will try later. Anyone else had problems with the apps yet? Or anyone seen those problems in general with the dock?

-Adam

Java
Jan 31, 2003, 03:54 PM
i am currently downloading it. This is why I have a cable modem!

Thank you Apple!:p

pncc
Jan 31, 2003, 04:00 PM
Anyone have iLife and a aftermarket DVD-R drive? I heard a rumor that iDVD 3 will NOT install unless you have a OEM internal Superdrive. Even internal Pioneer drives don't work. Anyone test this?

UPDATE: xlr8yourmac says this rumor is FALSE and that retail Superdrives will work with or w/out iDVD 2 installed. I would still like a confirmation from someone.:confused:

LimeiBook86
Jan 31, 2003, 04:00 PM
AAAARRRGG! I want to use iMovie! BUT I CANTS I NEED A HIGHER RESOLUTION SCREEN! NOOOOO! DAMMIT! My display can only go to 800 x 600 and yes I tried unchecking the boxes, only the "newer" iBook can run it, I am SO MAD!!! >:( After there short year my iBook is becoming obsolete, for the record its a Key Lime Special Edition 466mhz, DVD FireWire. I can't believe it, now I can't even have iMove 2 back on, I hate this, why Apple WHY!!!!????:mad:

daddy-mojo
Jan 31, 2003, 04:11 PM
Hey all, for those looking for the old export features of html pages and quicktime slide shows, just goto file> export. Looks like Apple pulled the button from the bottom to streamline the .mac approach. Luckily, those other features remained, just not as obvious.

blogo
Jan 31, 2003, 04:43 PM
After trying imovie 3 i would suggest a minimum requirement of a 1 ghz mac

alex_ant
Jan 31, 2003, 04:48 PM
Doesn't look like much has changed except now we've got buy stuff icons at the bottom. Can't even view pics at their actual sizes yet. And did I mention it's still slow as molasses? What have the iPhoto developers been up to in the past 7 months or whatever it is?

Freg3000
Jan 31, 2003, 05:02 PM
Originally posted by Eple

Yeah, I wonder why this is.

Everything seems...I don't know....not "flowing." I even have two 1 Ghz processers. ;)

Hopefully Apple will fix these problems soon.

Foucault
Jan 31, 2003, 05:22 PM
What a treat!!! More toys to play with my new Powerbook over the weekend. Yipee!!!

aarond12
Jan 31, 2003, 05:33 PM
I went to CompUSA to pick up my copy of iLife today. Their Mac section was arranged nicely, but no salespeople anywhere near.

I found the salespeople surfing the net (3 surfers; 4 up front talking to the female cashiers; 4 outside smoking in front of the building).

After arguing with me repeatedly that you cannot download iDVD, they said they didn't have any copies of iLife in the store or on order.

What a mess. I will visit the Apple store soon.

jelwell
Jan 31, 2003, 05:55 PM
Originally posted by edesignuk

Yup, I think so....but I'm sure you won't be the last :rolleyes: ;) I'm expecting a dozen more threads on the same subject any time now.

You should consider using BetterHTMLExport (http://www.droolingcat.com/software/betterhtmlexport/) . It's an iphoto plugin that lets you create templates for exporting considerably prettier websites than the ugly iphoto ones.
joe.

DakotaGuy
Jan 31, 2003, 05:58 PM
I just updated iPhoto and iMovie on both my iBook and my iMac. First off iMovie is a pain in the butt because on CRT iMacs you have to go in and change the screen res before you can even use it. It feels about the same as iMovie 2 did on my computer. I don't have a DV camcorder yet so it is not a big deal to me. You can use it on an older G3 machine, but fluid it is not.

iPhoto which I use a lot is an improvement. It does feel slightly more reponsive scrolling and it is a much more complete interface.

Now for the biggest speed booster you can EVER do to your computer...

We finally recieved Cable internet in this little South Dakota cowtown and they came and put it in today...HOLY COW...it is like my old 400Mhz iMac DV is a new beast while on line!!!!!!! Safari really shines I am looking forward to the actual release of Safari!

Now I have a buddy that is a die-hard PC user and he tried telling me that his new Gateway would actually smoke mine surfing the net because he has a 3.06Ghz processor and I only have a 400Mhz processor. He has dial-up that is connecting around 40-45K but he thinks that his will render a page so much faster with all the speed it has that the connection will not matter. Now wouldn't you say that the PC world has really used the Ghz to sell anymore!!!!!!!!!!!

Kid Red
Jan 31, 2003, 06:04 PM

WTF? Are you sick? I have a dual gig and it's still slow. I'd recommend a 970 to run this and iPhoto.

iMovie can preview a clip with soft focus effect. Previewing effects-Earthquake, Fariy Dust, and a few others are plain riduluosly slow.

iPhoto is also a little slow and Enhance kinda sucks on a photo that isn't really horrible. It seems to only fix the crappiest photos, why destorying half way decent ones.

JimJimBinks
Jan 31, 2003, 06:14 PM
I just called all of my local CompUSA's, and the two Apple Stores near me. (In Michigan)
The Apple Stores are saying they won't be getting iLife in until Feb. 4th, and CompUSA says they don't know, maybe as early as Monday, but they're thinking maybe towards the end of next week. THIS BITES!
I have some movies just waiting to be thrown into iDVD 3 as soon as I install it.

juniormaj
Jan 31, 2003, 06:22 PM

As a point of note after downloading the latest Dev Tools earlier today: I find it amazing that at any given time I can reach a minimum of 150k/s downloading off of apple.com, and regularly over 225k/s. I can't imagine their bandwidth/pipe/server bills. :eek:

I used my cable modem today and all 81.8MB of iMovie came down in about 4 minutes flat at 335 KB / s. iPhoto took about 2 minutes.
I rarely get speeds that good from other servers, and I can imagine Apple's servers are fairly busy today, at that.

nickmcghie
Jan 31, 2003, 06:35 PM

from apple.com, i usually reach a minimum of 700-800k/s and regularly get over 1000k/s... for example, when safari first came out, i downloaded it in 3 seconds flat.. and the combined iPhoto 2 and iMovie 3 download finished in under two and a half minutes :D ;)

rainman::|:|
Jan 31, 2003, 06:41 PM
Originally posted by adamberti
Hmm, I keep my apps in seperate folders, not all in the applications folder, so I had to move the new versions into their appropriate folder and put them in dock, while taking out the old ones, something I've become accustomed to.

I do the same thing-- keep Applications folder on an external HD, and have an alias to it where Applications usually is. Most installers just go straight through the alias and the stuff gets installed to the external, but everything through Software Update (well, Apple software in general) deletes the alias and installs it on the boot drive. It's kind of annoying, i wish there was a better way--

i've changed the permissions on the Applications alias to match the folder itself, but it still deletes it...

pnw

nickmcghie
Jan 31, 2003, 06:42 PM

my gosh u are so right.. i just tried it on my 400Mhz Pismo G3 with 576MB RAM.. first of all, it took nearly a minute just to launch the program, then almost another minute to load an old imovie project.. the video playback can get so choppy that it's practically unusable.. and i haven't even tried doing any editing yet :mad:.. too bad i can't go back to imovie 2

hopefully this is a problem that apple will fix.. and fix soon:(

on a brighter note, iphoto 2 does seem slighty faster and more responsive

Doctor Q
Jan 31, 2003, 07:05 PM
I always play by the rules for licensing. In the keynote speech, Steve Jobs said that iLife was being packaged and sold in stores because iDVD would be too big to download. So if I buy (or even borrow) a copy of iLife, can I install it anywhere I like because the content is free? Or do I need to buy an iLife for every DVD Mac that I want to use it on?

iSmell
Jan 31, 2003, 07:20 PM
Originally posted by Doctor Q
So if I buy (or even borrow) a copy of iLife, can I install it anywhere I like because the content is free? Or do I need to buy an iLife for every DVD Mac that I want to use it on?

iDVD is not free. I think Steve said that because he didn't want backlash for charging for it, but I don't think that means it's free if you can get your hands on it somehow.

Howevery, I always thought you could buy one license for a piece of software and install it on multiple machines as long as you were the only user, or you could put it one one machine and have multiple users, but not both. Am I wrong about this? If I have a desktop and a laptop that only I use, am I supposed to buy software twice?

jelloshotsrule
Jan 31, 2003, 07:22 PM
Originally posted by Doctor Q
I always play by the rules for licensing. In the keynote speech, Steve Jobs said that iLife was being packaged and sold in stores because iDVD would be too big to download. So if I buy (or even borrow) a copy of iLife, can I install it anywhere I like because the content is free? Or do I need to buy an iLife for every DVD Mac that I want to use it on?

that's a very good question... i would guess you should find the answer in the installer.... hmm, let us know what you find out.

SumDumGuy
Jan 31, 2003, 07:28 PM
Anyone care to trouble-shoot this...it has me baffled. Just DL'ed iMovie 3, installed fine, try to start it up and...there's the app...everything looking OK...then, spinning beachball of death! I eventually have to force-quit out of it.

It's not a big deal since I usually use FCP, but when my wife uses my machine, she prefers iMovie. Any suggestions?

This is on a MDD Dual Gig with 2GB of RAM.

Edit: Oh yeah, and 10.2.3

jelloshotsrule
Jan 31, 2003, 07:31 PM
how long did you wait before you force quit?

i got the same thing, but after like 30-45 seconds it actually started...

i'm on dual 800

daddy-mojo
Jan 31, 2003, 07:40 PM
Originally posted by SumDumGuy
Anyone care to trouble-shoot this...it has me baffled. Just DL'ed iMovie 3, installed fine, try to start it up and...there's the app...everything looking OK...then, spinning beachball of death! I eventually have to force-quit out of it.

It's not a big deal since I usually use FCP, but when my wife uses my machine, she prefers iMovie. Any suggestions?

This is on a MDD Dual Gig with 2GB of RAM.

i read somewhere that those with large itunes libraries and large iphoto libraries took longer to start up because it has to find everything, then afterwards quit out and relaunch again. Mine was a little slow at first launch, but better since. Although imovie3 does seem clunkier in some aspects, but its very cool being able to drop in all your photos to make a sequence, it still has to render them all in, but its a little more convienent.

zaphoyd
Jan 31, 2003, 07:44 PM
hmm i dunno what you guys are talking about. I have iMovie 3.0.1 (tho for some reason it tells the finder its 2.1.2) on a 667 G4 powerbook w/ 1GB of ram. It is fast and responsive in everything except resizing the window and starting and stopping video. The latter I attribute most to my 4200 slow (not a nice new fast one) hard drive.

My only complaint is the awful brushed metal. Why does apple have to mar aqua's perfection for something that reminds me of my TiBook's paint... And metalifizer cannot seem to alter imovie 3 and itunes 2 like other cocoa apps. I have hacked through the nibs and the textured window boxes and such are all unchecked. I bet there is some internal software part that forces the app into ugly metal mode. grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

iPhoto also cannot ken burns photoshop docs. which is really really annoying because all my iPhotos are photoshop docs. And it does a HORRIBLE job at useing them. they are very large res images and it makes them look like they were done on a kilopixel camera.

Aciddan
Jan 31, 2003, 07:47 PM
Originally posted by unc32
Has anyone tried iPhoto2 yet? It seems very slow on my iMac 700 with 1gb of ram. Is it just me?

Just got the download just then, it's much faster than it used to be for me, and I'm on a 14" iBook 600 too.

I have a very hefty collection (thanks to my Canon s30) and it used to chug quite badly (with the odler version), I'd suggest a paranoia check to make sure it was updated because an iMac with 40% more ram than me and a G4 processor shouldn't have any probs...

-- Dan :D

kcmac
Jan 31, 2003, 07:47 PM
The first time you open iMovie you have to leave it alone until it finally opens. Don't know what it is doing but be patient. After that it works fine.

Seems about the same speed to me as iMovie 2. Things take awhile to render. I have an iMac 400DVSE.

The Ken Burns affect is cool but is sorta painful on this machine. Can't wait to see if works a little better on my 12" PB next week.

SumDumGuy
Jan 31, 2003, 07:48 PM
Well, I don't know if this fixed it or not, but it's running now. I restarted and fsck -y'ed and it works now. Weird.

Freg3000
Jan 31, 2003, 07:59 PM
Originally posted by jelloshotsrule
how long did you wait before you force quit?

i got the same thing, but after like 30-45 seconds it actually started...

i'm on dual 800

Seems like Apple didn't get all the bugs out of iMovie-even with an update to 3.0.1 prior to its release.

Glossybear
Jan 31, 2003, 08:05 PM
OMG. iPhoto 2 is almost unusable on my iBook 600.

It takes nearly 20 seconds to switch from the "organize view" to the "edit view"

It won't scroll though my library (well, it WILL, but it is painful.)

Is this just the way iPhoto is going to be? Or can we expect a performance increasing patch?

I wish I could go back :(, which is upsetting bacuase I was SO excited about it.

Now I'm scared to try iMovie 3...

jkilcoin
Jan 31, 2003, 08:22 PM
Originally posted by nickmcghie
[B]

my gosh u are so right.. i just tried it on my 400Mhz Pismo G3 with 576MB RAM.. first of all, it took nearly a minute just to launch the program, then almost another minute to load an old imovie project.. the video playback can get so choppy that it's practically unusable.. and i haven't even tried doing any editing yet :mad:.. too bad i can't go back to imovie 2

B]

I've got a Powerbook G4 400 and iMovie 3 loaded within about 5 or 6 seconds. I'm used to using final cut pro 3 and the multitasking with that program during rendering sucks. iMovie is and has been 10 times better at this. but playback seems to have real problems after rendering the video files.it keeps pausing and got totally stuck at one point.
Playback was fine until effects were applied.
After restarting iMovie it seemed fine though.Strange.
UI seems fine and as fast as before.
Rendering of the old effects seems to be just as fast as before, but the new effects such as earthquake do take alot longer, but this is because they a more system intensive,but no longer than any of the advenced final cut pro filters.
I think apple has a few bugs to work out with this program. It will probably be fine for people with a faster CPU than me.I dunno. Like to here what other poeple think of it.....

If english seems bad, its cos its late and i've had a few beers.

daddy-mojo
Jan 31, 2003, 08:29 PM
don't forget to repair your permissions! it found alot of imovie/iphoto things to correct. iphoto seems a little more responsive since doing that...not sure if it was that or a restart that helped.

Postal
Jan 31, 2003, 08:37 PM
LimeiBook86:

Wasn't the iBook 466 released in the fall of 2000? That would make your lime-coloured iBook a bit over two years old. Not that it's ancient, but Apple is clearly designing apps and their OS with higher resolutions in mind,

I'm kind of thankful that I got a 15" PowerBook, in that regard, although it's not likely that I'll use iMovie 3. I certainly won't use iDVD 3... I don't have a Superdrive!

Codemonkey
Jan 31, 2003, 08:38 PM
Originally posted by Freg3000

Seems like Apple didn't get all the bugs out of iMovie-even with an update to 3.0.1 prior to its release.

Heh. I guess be glad we didn't get the .0 release? :p

I'm just D'ling it here at home... it was snappy on a G4-450 w/rage128 and 384mb RAM (@work)... I'll be trying it on my snow iMac right away...

<crosses fingers>

robbents99
Jan 31, 2003, 09:32 PM
Working off a Pismo G3 400 with 312 Megs and the lastest OSX (not 10.2.4).
IPhoto 2 does move quicker. IMovie chugs but I've used the app only once before anyway. I will say this it is nice to click and have all my itunes and iphotos galleries at my disposal for imovie and ken burns rules.
I suggest to everyone to restart their computers and see if the applications run faster or not. I did and saw a wittle increase but not much. The fact I had classic running may have slowed things down a bit.
To all the people in ryanrafferty@mac.com ichat room when the uploads hit the web, it was great talking with you all, we have to do it again when 10.2.4 comes out.
Here's hoping the imac upgrades rock, feel a trip to NH store is in order....
Damn that autocorrection tool rules...

Wash!!
Jan 31, 2003, 09:38 PM
Originally posted by Glossybear

It takes nearly 20 seconds to switch from the "organize view" to the "edit view"

Is this just the way iPhoto is going to be? Or can we expect a performance increasing patch?

I wish I could go back :(, which is upsetting bacuase I was SO excited about it.

Works fine with my Blue and White G3/400
It is faster than the older version I love it:D
PS remember the more ram you have the better

achmafooma
Jan 31, 2003, 09:46 PM
Originally posted by Freg3000

Yeah, I wonder why this is.

Everything seems...I don't know....not "flowing." I even have two 1 Ghz processers. ;)

Hopefully Apple will fix these problems soon.

That's odd ... I'm running a Quicksilver 733mhz from 2001 and iMovie runs fast and smooth.

iPhoto, however, doesn't seem to have improved at all in that respect. I'm also still getting some strange semi-transparent artifacts around the iPhoto window when I drag it around (happened in the previous version as well).

Hopefully we'll see an iPhoto upgrade shortly that will bring it up to speed (and iCal could still use a little work, though its recent upgrade made it drastically better). As for iMovie, I'm fully satisfied.

I just use it for novelty though... I do have Final Cut Pro, so I have no REAL use for iMovie.

CrawfishDaddy
Jan 31, 2003, 09:56 PM
Originally posted by pncc
Anyone have iLife and a aftermarket DVD-R drive? I heard a rumor that iDVD 3 will NOT install unless you have a OEM internal Superdrive. Even internal Pioneer drives don't work. Anyone test this?

I bought iLife from the Apple Store in Washington, D.C. today, took it home, and my Pioneer DVR-105 allowed it to install iDVD. That has to mean that it recognizes the Pioneer off-the-shelves as Superdrives because a friend tried to load his iLife DVD disc using a non-Pioneer drive and it told he had to have a Superdrive.

Unfortunately, I don't know if iDVD works with my DVR-105 drive because all I have is a B&W G3 350 Mhz and when I start up I get a message that says it's can't start iDVD because it can't find the "required hardware." What does that mean? (Please don't tell me I have to buy a G4 upgrade chip for Old Faithful...) Any help would be appreaciated (patches, advice, etc.)

LimeiBook86
Jan 31, 2003, 10:04 PM
My Dad's Power Mac G4 450mhz AGP blasts through iMovie 3, I loaded up a movie (about 20 min long movie) and it played it full screen fine! Then I previewed the features and it was fine! Now iPhoto seems a little sluggish but runs fine! Haha, wierd how the older Macs are running iMovie 3 better than the new ones? I wonder why?

Trinity570
Jan 31, 2003, 10:14 PM
I tried iMovie tonight and it sucks! I tried importing a movie after rewinding the tape through iMovie and it would play. I had to restart iMovie to get it to play and import. After it was finished importing I got no audio output from iMovie. I have no idea what is going on. It is very slow on my machine (867 Quicksilver w/896 MB RAM and 10.2.3 with Revolution 7.1 audio card, nVidia GeForce MX 2). This is really ticking me off. I may have to revert back to 2 to do the project I need to do. This is completely unacceptable. I tried playing with all the options and nothing. The audio bug is particularly glaring and it's rather annoying to have to rewind the tape restart iMovie and then hit play/import. BTW, I do get audio output while it's importing, just not on playback.

Sonofhaig
Jan 31, 2003, 10:49 PM
If you haven't loaded imovie 3..DON'T!
Terrible app in present condition!
I'm spending my Saturday re-installing imovie 2.

Apple, really... Did you test this one?

Sound problems..choppy! Don't believe me, go read the imovie forums on Apples site.

Lots of people are steaming mad!
Including me.:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

unfaded
Jan 31, 2003, 10:52 PM
iMovie scans your hard drive on first open for projects. That is why you all are having slow first load times.

I just loaded it on my 500 MHZ iBook which is NO speed demon and it was 10 seconds, maybe less.

iPhoto 2 is faster but that's such a stupidly little difference that it's really nothing. After clearing out the cache files, woo boy, big increase. But I can't guarentee the results for all.

macomposer
Jan 31, 2003, 10:58 PM
On my TiBook 550MHz, 768MB RAM, 10.2.3, there is no question that iPhoto2 is MUCH faster than the prior version. It launches faster, moves between photos with no intermediate fuzzy rendering, and shuts down faster.

The first time I launched it, there was a minute or two wait while it converted the library, but after that, it has blazed. I'm nothing but pleased with the response.

My photo library contains 1810 photos in 1168MB, and my launch time is 13 seconds (from clicking in the dock to being ready to go). That is around half of what it was in the prior version.

However, I will second one comment I saw in this thread: be wary of using the Enhance feature. It makes bad pictures better, but makes OK or good pictures look bad.

212rikanmofo
Jan 31, 2003, 11:07 PM
seems like a lot of you having problems with imovie3 and iphoto2, it runs nice here on my powerbook 667 with 768mb of ram, iphoto2 on the other hand loads up kinda slow, i only have like 500 pics in my iphoto library, but after it loads up, its fine... not bad... i hope they fix iphoto2 load up times for big photo libraries, mine is only 500 and it loads up slow...

DakotaGuy
Jan 31, 2003, 11:19 PM
It seems like a lot of people are having issues with iPhoto 2 and iMovie 3. iPhoto 2 works pretty good for me. iMovie 3 is doggy, but I don't expect it to be a race horse on my iMac DV 400. Anyhow I was wondering does anyone have any thoughts about the 10.2.4 update helping these apps work better?

Trinity570
Jan 31, 2003, 11:24 PM
iMovie must do that every time it launches. It's slow for me everytime I launch it, not just the first time. I thought about 10.2.4 as well. I'm curious to see if that helps at all. I sincerely hope so. I sent feedback to Apple, however they don't have iMovie 3 as an option, just iMovie 2.1 and 2.1.1 or whatever and they don't have 10.2.3 as an option for the OS (but 10.2.2 is listed twice :rolleyes: ). It is continually doggy and I keep finding new import problems. I did happen to figure out how to get audio output from my clips though now. It's kind of stupid to make it that difficult to get it right though and I'm no newbie to this.

Sol
Feb 1, 2003, 12:51 AM
To those complaining about the speed I would recommend installing more RAM. Video is one of those things that needs a lot of memory to render effects and play back smoothly. Bigger and faster hard drives also help, especially when you are working with a few tracks of video and audio. Keeping your applications folder in an external hard drive is a sure way to slow down your system - keep all your applications in the same hard drive as the OS and all your media (movies, music, etc) in the external. I also think that the next OS update (10.2.4) will address the speed issues of these applications.

msibbern
Feb 1, 2003, 01:03 AM
I just ran MacJanitor as per recommendation over at the Apple Discussion board. While still slower than 2, iMovie 3 runs much better now.

Mac Janitor (http://www.versiontracker.com/moreinfo.fcgi?id=10491&db=VT)

mnkeybsness
Feb 1, 2003, 01:18 AM
reasons why these programs may be running slowly:

iMovie:
a large library of mp3s in itunes and photos in iphoto will make imovie load very slowly

iPhoto:
iphoto has always run slowly...the whole program needs to be re-written with more logical sequence orders

MacBandit
Feb 1, 2003, 01:32 AM
Originally posted by msibbern
I just ran MacJanitor as per recommendation over at the Apple Discussion board. While still slower than 2, iMovie 3 runs much better now.

Mac Janitor (http://www.versiontracker.com/moreinfo.fcgi?id=10491&db=VT)

This should should be ran weekly if you don't leave your computer on at night. MacJanitor runs the system cleanup tasks that OSX would normally do in the early AM automatically. If you don't leave your computer on over night occasionally then you should run MacJanitor.

Am I repeating myself?

trilogic
Feb 1, 2003, 03:16 AM
Originally posted by MacBandit
Am I repeating myself?

yes, but now I got it :D

Swinny
Feb 1, 2003, 05:05 AM
It would seem that in the case of iMovie 3, amount of RAM is more important than processor speed...does it mean Apple are gonna start bundling at least 512mb with all new machines from now on just to run their "consumer" apps?

...after 2 years of waiting for this update, I can't help but feel a little dissapointed...I expected it to run slower on my iBook than iMovie2, but quite frankly, its practically unusable.

Swinny
---------
Webmaster // www.iMovie-user.com

veedubdrew
Feb 1, 2003, 06:00 AM
I just wanted to post that I'm quite pleased with the updates to iMovie and iPhoto. iPhoto is approximately 600,000% faster on my 17" iMac and I really like the new features of iMovie. I don't have iDVD yet, as my father is an educator and I'm going to have him order it and Keynote for the $15 deal and save myself $100+. Anyway, just thought I'd add my $0.02.

NicoMan
Feb 1, 2003, 06:10 AM
Originally posted by paulwhannel

I do the same thing-- keep Applications folder on an external HD, and have an alias to it where Applications usually is. Most installers just go straight through the alias and the stuff gets installed to the external, but everything through Software Update (well, Apple software in general) deletes the alias and installs it on the boot drive. It's kind of annoying, i wish there was a better way--

i've changed the permissions on the Applications alias to match the folder itself, but it still deletes it...

pnw
I am really curious why people want to try and put their apps in a different folder/hard drive. Is it just a space thing? (This is not a flame, just a normal question: I really am curious to know why)

NicoMan

NicoMan
Feb 1, 2003, 06:15 AM
Originally posted by Glossybear

I have got a iBook 12"/800 from the latest revision and iPhoto2 is not slow at all on my machine. I cannot believe that the difference in processor speed would make such a difference in responsiveness. Or is it the graphics card?
I personally believe it has to do with RAM. Mine is maxed out at 640MB. Is yours too ?

NicoMan

peterjhill
Feb 1, 2003, 06:27 AM
Note to all who have experienced slowness... Have any of you turned on disk journalling? If you have, disable it if you want to see any performance out of either programs.

hibitdatman
Feb 1, 2003, 06:49 AM
I see some of you guys are recommending MacJanitor, which I have used previosuly when I was on 10.1.

This may be a daft question but does it still do the biz on 10.2? If so do I need to get a new version or will the old one work ok?

Thanks.

Still waiting for my iLife cd (ordered ages ago from Apple Store UK online) - not impressed!

MacBandit
Feb 1, 2003, 09:52 AM
Originally posted by hibitdatman
I see some of you guys are recommending MacJanitor, which I have used previosuly when I was on 10.1.

This may be a daft question but does it still do the biz on 10.2? If so do I need to get a new version or will the old one work ok?

Thanks.

Still waiting for my iLife cd (ordered ages ago from Apple Store UK online) - not impressed!

Yes, it still does the job in 10.2. I'm not sure if it has been updated for 10.2 but I would go ahead and check anyway. If there is a newer version out there get it.

Here's a link to the latest version, version 1.2.

http://www.versiontracker.com/moreinfo.fcgi?id=10491&db=mac

MacBandit
Feb 1, 2003, 09:58 AM
Originally posted by NicoMan

I am really curious why people want to try and put their apps in a different folder/hard drive. Is it just a space thing? (This is not a flame, just a normal question: I really am curious to know why)

NicoMan

The reason I reoganize my apps into separate folders is that I have something like 140 apps. Sorting through all of them and trying to figure out what each does is a real pain in the arse if you don't have them organized by function (i.e. paint, utilities, works, internet, etc.). Therefore what I have done is created an App folder for each user and I put aliases of each app in those folders. This allows each user to organize the apps as they see fit.

The method of categorizing the apps is something I carried over from previous versions of Mac OS. In previous versions the Apple updater would install the new app ignoring the old app altogether. When I went to OSX 10.x and would run an updater it wouldn't install because it couldn't find the old one if I didn't have it in the original installation folder.

Is is true that now with 10.2 it is back to the way it was and you can move things around and the updater will still install the new version even though it doesn't know where the old version is?

e-coli
Feb 1, 2003, 11:44 AM
it seems to work great. good stuff.

nickmcghie
Feb 1, 2003, 12:22 PM
Originally posted by peterjhill
Note to all who have experienced slowness... Have any of you turned on disk journalling? If you have, disable it if you want to see any performance out of either programs.

how do you find out if it's enabled/disabled? and how do you change it?

adamberti
Feb 1, 2003, 01:01 PM
Originally posted by nickmcghie

how do you find out if it's enabled/disabled? and how do you change it?

Well, if you havent turned it on, its not on so dont worry about it. If you want to turn it on, you have to use the terminal and type:

diskutil enableJournal
or
diskutil disableJournal

I'm not 100% sure if you have to log in as root to do those commands or if you can do a superuser command:

sudo diskutil enableJournal

It would ask for your root password after this. Can anyone clarify if you can do a sudo or do you have to log in as root?

pyrex
Feb 1, 2003, 01:58 PM
lol i would of downloaded them, if only i had the hard drive space.....

Xerov
Feb 1, 2003, 02:12 PM
iMove 3 runs pretty decent on my 12" iBook 600 with 256 ram and 8meg Graphics.

iPhoto runs about the same as the last for me..just a slight slowdown.

Xerov
Feb 1, 2003, 02:34 PM
Sorry for double posting but...Does anyone know if you can get more transitions...It doesnt come with much...iMovie 3 that is

King Cobra
Feb 1, 2003, 02:38 PM
Originally posted by LimeiBook86
AAAARRRGG! I want to use iMovie! BUT I CANTS I NEED A HIGHER RESOLUTION SCREEN! NOOOOO! DAMMIT! My display can only go to 800 x 600...I can't believe it, now I can't even have iMove 2 back on, I hate this, why Apple WHY!!!!????:mad:

Mr. System 7.1, i.e., wild eep...Welcome to my world. :eek:

well, sort of.

I use my iBook 466 (Graphite, not Lime) at class almost every day for various tasks, and it also only goes up to 800 x 600. I had fears from day one about the iBook having a max. res of 800 x 600 when I first found out, and also some apps may require something higher.

On my main computer, my Cube, I HATE 1024 x 768 res. I'm so used to 800 x 600 and enjoy it so much that I'm not going to change my resolution for one app, regardless of who developed it, what the app does, and what contents the app possesses.

I don't see why Apple cannot institute 800 x 600 res. Apple is mainly a software company. I think if iMovie 2 could run in 800 x 600, even if it was to lack a few "high-end" features, it can be done for iMovie.

And if I don't plan to use that enormous black space in the upper-left hand corner for video, I would be happy seeing that space reduced in size, so I can play around with the rest of the features.

Not everyone, who downloads iMovie 3, is going to use it frequently or is going to use it professionally. Therefore, if iMovie wishes to encompass a larger screen area so all the options are available for Pro users, they will be the ones not just requiring the higher res., but also having a larger max. screen res.

I'm not going to "expect" anything from any future iMovie updates, as to screen res. adjustments, as expecting something will not be very productive. If you mention this, or discuss the situation in public, it will take notice. Therefore, LimeiBook, et. al, I recommend posting your suggestions, calmly and formally, to the following feedback page.

http://www.apple.com/feedback/imovie.html

mnkeybsnss has a point with the "speed issues" at hand. If you have a lot of files iMovie or iPhoto has to load, guess what? It's going to take some time to load all those files. iPhoto loaded very quickly for me, because I had only four unedited photos saved in the iPhoto Library folder. (G4 Cube, 500MHz, one processor) The retouch options, as well as the brightness contrast controls, were simple and easy to use, and it isn't anywhere as near as complex as Photoshop. Still, though, I see iPhoto as the best freeware digital image-editing app known to man.

Glossybear
Feb 1, 2003, 03:21 PM

I have got a iBook 12"/800 from the latest revision and iPhoto2 is not slow at all on my machine. I cannot believe that the difference in processor speed would make such a difference in responsiveness. Or is it the graphics card?
I personally believe it has to do with RAM. Mine is maxed out at 640MB. Is yours too ?

NicoMan

Yeah, my RAM is maxed at 640... But I repaired my permissions and that seemed to help ALOT.

Still not snappy, but at least useable.

scorpion
Feb 1, 2003, 04:50 PM
I'm running a dual USB 500 mhz iBook and while it's no speed demon, it's certainly tolerable for editing. (Rendering on this machine is slow as molasses no matter which version of iMovie you run.) Both iPhoto 2 and iMovie 3 have loaded reasonably quickly. Again, I have 640MB of RAM and I think that's the difference.

I also am willing to bet 10.2.4 will have some kind of speed increase for these -- believe me, Apple doesn't want their iLife suite to run slowly.

Also, I predict we'll see some software updates for both iMovie and iPhoto within the next month or two (a dot version) like with iCal -- remember how slow that was before the upgrade?

Anyone know how often I should repair permisisions?

Mr. G4
Feb 1, 2003, 05:32 PM

NicoMan

For some people, and for me, it's in case you have to reinstall the OS, you don't have to re-install the applications later. :D

daddy-mojo
Feb 1, 2003, 06:00 PM
Originally posted by scorpion
I'm running a dual USB 500 mhz iBook and while it's no speed demon, it's certainly tolerable for editing. (Rendering on this machine is slow as molasses no matter which version of iMovie you run.) Both iPhoto 2 and iMovie 3 have loaded reasonably quickly. Again, I have 640MB of RAM and I think that's the difference.

I also am willing to bet 10.2.4 will have some kind of speed increase for these -- believe me, Apple doesn't want their iLife suite to run slowly.

Also, I predict we'll see some software updates for both iMovie and iPhoto within the next month or two (a dot version) like with iCal -- remember how slow that was before the upgrade?

Anyone know how often I should repair permisisions?

I usually repair permissions after any software install/update. That seems to be when certain things get reset. Also, anytime my system seems like its acting up or being twitchy.

:) http://forums.macrumors.com/images/smilies/smile.gif

LimeiBook86
Feb 1, 2003, 06:03 PM
Thanks alot King Kobra, Ill look into that, :D

Fukui
Feb 1, 2003, 06:17 PM
iginally posted by paulwhannel

why)

You need to login as root and make the aliases, so they are owned by root, and second, you need to click the "lock" option from get-info to prevent it from being deleted.

I've only tried this with symbolic links though, not with standard "finder" aliases.

To make a symbolic link, in terminal, you type:

ln -s path-to-destination place-to-put-link

So, for example, to link your applications folder to another HD or partition also named Applications, you would type:

ln -s /Volumes/Applications /Applications

Make sure to copy all your apps to the HD and then delete the original folder. Do all steps as root, and make sure to lock the alias. The links have survived everytime for me...

woodsey
Feb 1, 2003, 06:18 PM
has anyone else noticed that when backing up to CD in iPhoto you can only fit about 540 MB of photos onto a 700 MB blank disc.

Why is that. Its really annoying when trying to back up a large number of files!

scorpion
Feb 1, 2003, 07:46 PM
Originally posted by daddy-mojo

I usually repair permissions after any software install/update. That seems to be when certain things get reset. Also, anytime my system seems like its acting up or being twitchy.

:) http://forums.macrumors.com/images/smilies/smile.gif

Thanks for the tip.

Wry Cooter
Feb 1, 2003, 07:57 PM
Originally posted by CrawfishDaddy

I bought iLife from the Apple Store in Washington, D.C. today, took it home, and my Pioneer DVR-105 allowed it to install iDVD. That has to mean that it recognizes the Pioneer off-the-shelves as Superdrives because a friend tried to load his iLife DVD disc using a non-Pioneer drive and it told he had to have a Superdrive.

Unfortunately, I don't know if iDVD works with my DVR-105 drive because all I have is a B&W G3 350 Mhz and when I start up I get a message that says it's can't start iDVD because it can't find the "required hardware." What does that mean? (Please don't tell me I have to buy a G4 upgrade chip for Old Faithful...) Any help would be appreaciated (patches, advice, etc.)

You have to buy a G4 upgrade chip for Old Faithful... actually that may not necessarily help, daughterboard upgrades can be famous for not being recognized by software.

Think about what iDVD spends most of its time doing... it compresses video relatively quickly... if it sees a chip that can handle the grunt work. iDVD was introduced on G4 faster than mine, a 400, but at least the altivec extentions would allow this compression to go along at a much faster clip than any G3 might be able to handle. iDVD has always required at least a G4 to work.
I wouldn't even THINK about trying a G3.

You can check out what XLR8yourmac.com has to say about the pioneer drives and iDVD use for some hints and tips- they may have info about CPU upgrades working with iDVD.

Kodex
Feb 1, 2003, 08:00 PM
I have a feeling this is gonna be a really stupid queston but how do a reset/fix permissions?

Xerov
Feb 1, 2003, 09:21 PM
Anyone notice that there is a blank space at apple homepage...underneath the pic of the new powermacs, between the powerbooks and iLife...

could this be for the new powemacs pic to go so they can put a pic of the new iMacs up!? just a thought

kcmac
Feb 1, 2003, 10:00 PM
Kodex.

Applications>Utilities>Disk Utility

When disk utility is open, click on the "first aid" tab. Make sure you have your hard drive highlighted in the left hand part of the window. Then click on "repair disk permissions."

This will take 10-15 minutes.

Freg3000
Feb 1, 2003, 10:32 PM
Originally posted by Xerov
Anyone notice that there is a blank space at apple homepage...underneath the pic of the new powermacs, between the powerbooks and iLife...

could this be for the new powemacs pic to go so they can put a pic of the new iMacs up!? just a thought

Airport Extreme is there for me. Oh well.

I've found that Apple's hardware page is a pretty good indicator of what is going to updated next. The product that is in the smallest box is probably going to be updated soon. And guess what....the iMac is in the smallest box.

www.apple.com/hardware

P.S. I know that iPod is also about the same size as the iMac box, but the iMac has only its picture; the iPod has its picture as well as its name.

Wardofsky
Feb 1, 2003, 10:50 PM
I seem to be lucky, I downloaded iPhoto first and it eemed to run fine.

The iMovie and it was fine also.

G3 iBook 600

Edit

Actually, I take that back about iMovie, it keeps on quiting when: when files are just about to finish importing and etc.

A bit disapointing.

NicoMan
Feb 2, 2003, 03:08 AM
Originally posted by MacBandit

The reason I reoganize my apps into separate folders is that I have something like 140 apps. Sorting through all of them and trying to figure out what each does is a real pain in the arse if you don't have them organized by function (i.e. paint, utilities, works, internet, etc.). Therefore what I have done is created an App folder for each user and I put aliases of each app in those folders. This allows each user to organize the apps as they see fit.

I do see your point about categorizing apps within the app folder. That makes perfect sense to me. But what I find a bit over-the-top is recreating 'pseudo' apps folder (with links) for each user... I would have thought that your users would use the dock for exactly that: they place the apps that they use the most often in the dock along with the apps folder itself so that they can easily access the other apps (through your hierarchical organization) in case they need them.

Just a thought (does this make sense to you?).

NicoMan

stewartv
Feb 2, 2003, 03:20 AM
For those who want to know...I recently purchased a Pioneer A?04 internal dvdr drive and installed it in my G4 400 Tower and have installed iLife and have sucessfully burned two full dvd's....any rumors of it not working on non OEM pioneers is untrue...FYI

eric_n_dfw
Feb 2, 2003, 08:03 AM
Originally posted by stewartv
For those who want to know...I recently purchased a Pioneer A?04 internal dvdr drive and installed it in my G4 400 Tower and have installed iLife and have sucessfully burned two full dvd's....any rumors of it not working on non OEM pioneers is untrue...FYI
Is that a "Yikes!" or "Sawtooth" G4? (PCI ar AGP graphics card)

If it's "Yikes!" then I feel a lot more comfortable that it will work it in my B&W (with G4 upgrade).

Never mind - a quick trip to www.everymac.com shows that the "Yikes!" G4's were 350Mhz.

Anyone out there try this thing on a B&W or older (with a G4, of course)?

evilfunkgenius
Feb 2, 2003, 11:59 AM
so all this talk about new apps, but what I really want to know is.... where is iTunes 4 with rendevouz support? When will I be able to use my PowerMac as a server and all my Powerbooks as client, listening to the same group of music!???

ThomasJefferson
Feb 2, 2003, 02:15 PM
Well, iphoto is working fine on my G3 600 ibook with maxed out ram. No problems with speed in the general operation of the program ... that is, loading pics from a camera, and navigating/viewing through the pictures. However, I did just place an order for some prints and the transfer was sloth-like.

MacBandit
Feb 2, 2003, 06:05 PM

I do see your point about categorizing apps within the app folder. That makes perfect sense to me. But what I find a bit over-the-top is recreating 'pseudo' apps folder (with links) for each user... I would have thought that your users would use the dock for exactly that: they place the apps that they use the most often in the dock along with the apps folder itself so that they can easily access the other apps (through your hierarchical organization) in case they need them.

Just a thought (does this make sense to you?).

NicoMan

Seeing how I don't actually organize the system/Applications folder this would not work very well. I do not organize that folder due to installation problems with ill written updaters from Apple and other parties. So what I do is creat an Apps folder in the user folder and place Aliases of apps or there folder within it. This way I can organize it in any method I choose without worrying about update failure. Since I'm doing this for myself I simply duplicate the folder for the other user on the system and in this way they can organize it how they wish too.

CrawfishDaddy
Feb 12, 2003, 08:18 PM
Originally posted by Wry Cooter

You have to buy a G4 upgrade chip for Old Faithful... actually that may not necessarily help, daughterboard upgrades can be famous for not being recognized by software.

Think about what iDVD spends most of its time doing... it compresses video relatively quickly... if it sees a chip that can handle the grunt work. iDVD was introduced on G4 faster than mine, a 400, but at least the altivec extentions would allow this compression to go along at a much faster clip than any G3 might be able to handle. iDVD has always required at least a G4 to work.
I wouldn't even THINK about trying a G3.

You can check out what XLR8yourmac.com has to say about the pioneer drives and iDVD use for some hints and tips- they may have info about CPU upgrades working with iDVD.

Well, I went and bought an OWC Mercury G4/500mhz ZIF upgrade chip and, yes Vriginia, I can open and use iDVD 3 and burn on a CenDyne 4x DVD burner (equiv. to a Pioneer DVR-105). Not to mention that the WHOLE SYSTEM seems about twice as fast as it was. Believe it or not, it even seems faster than my 500 mhz REAL G4 computer at work. Thanks for the tip.

Wry Cooter
Feb 13, 2003, 04:15 PM
Originally posted by CrawfishDaddy

Well, I went and bought an OWC Mercury G4/500mhz ZIF upgrade chip and, yes Vriginia, I can open and use iDVD 3 and burn on a CenDyne 4x DVD burner (equiv. to a Pioneer DVR-105). Not to mention that the WHOLE SYSTEM seems about twice as fast as it was. Believe it or not, it even seems faster than my 500 mhz REAL G4 computer at work. Thanks for the tip.

This was in a Beige G3, or a Blue and White?

Apparently Apple has closed a loophole in their license... the license for iDVD3 apparently now says it is for a Mac with SuperDrive as supplied by Apple.. I wonder if Software Update can sniff this out - there will probably be quite a few people going against the terms of this license, probably quite innocently and innocently. When is the last time you actually read a license word for word? You are usually the only one using a piece of software, and you bought the copy you are using, so you assume there is nothing in the license that might possibly apply to you.

I'd buy a new Mac with SuperDrive if the right tower was made... it hasn't been made yet. Although the FlatScreen iMac could probably run circles around my Sawtooth. But if I were to follow the apparent terms of the iDVD license... they have lost a 49 dollar sale in the meantime. I don't want to buy a new mac just to burn DVDs, until the right mac is ready for market.

CrawfishDaddy
Feb 14, 2003, 06:37 AM
Originally posted by Wry Cooter

This was in a Beige G3, or a Blue and White?

... I don't want to buy a new mac just to burn DVDs, until the right mac is ready for market.

Blue-and-White G3 at 350 mhz (or at least it used to be 350 mhz ... :)