PDA

View Full Version : Heard of iPod Vending Machine?

DCapple
Mar 30, 2006, 12:52 AM
yes i cant believe it myself until i read this article (http://apple.qj.net/iPods-to-Go/pg/49/aid/13245)....

http://apple.qj.net/uploads/articles_module/13245_ipodvendingmachine00001_qjgenth.jpg

This machines can be found at the Las Vegas Hilton, San Francisco International Airport, San Francisco Argent Hotel, and the Hartsfield Atlanta Airport.

So thats why i never seen it cause never been to those places....lol...

I wonder how the ipods comes out of the machine? are they like those vending machines of coca cola? Anyone who have or had seenb it can you enlighten me please...:confused:

lexfuzo
Mar 30, 2006, 07:30 AM
are they like those vending machines of coca cola?

Yes.
You don't feed them with coins, though...

Jovian9
Mar 30, 2006, 08:56 AM
Yeah, I've seen them in a few airports now. I think someone on this forum even took a picture of an airport vending machine that had Mac Mini's in it. Can't remember who or when though.

Spock
Mar 30, 2006, 09:17 AM
I saw a pic of one of these in Macworld last month, "We dont carry MP3 Players from four different makers, we decided that from a digital music stand-point, Apple is the best" Zoom CEO Gower Smith. There are 130 of these things in malls, hotels, etc.. they hope to have 10,000 stores in the next 5 years Pretty cool

joepunk
Mar 30, 2006, 10:02 AM
I like them. I can't remember if I saw this on digg.com or if it was Macworld (probably the latter). Still, I hope it works out for the company.

macpastor
Mar 30, 2006, 10:44 AM
We got the demand and they got the supply.

Kingsly
Mar 30, 2006, 11:42 AM
This machines can be found at the Las Vegas Hilton, San Francisco International Airport, San Francisco Argent Hotel, and the Hartsfield Atlanta Airport...
...and Pavilions in Valencia town center. :D

leftbanke7
Mar 30, 2006, 01:50 PM
Yes.
You don't feed them with coins, though...

"One hundred ninety-nine dollars and five cents, one hundred ninety-nine dollars and ten cents....."

WildCowboy
Mar 30, 2006, 01:59 PM
Yep, we heard of it about a year ago (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=111827). And again about six months ago (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=154830). So I guess it was about time for this to make another appearance on here. :D ;)

mkrishnan
Mar 30, 2006, 02:08 PM
Didn't someone in Japan even design a giant, parking structure - sized vending machine for cars? :eek:

huck500
Mar 30, 2006, 02:18 PM
We also have one in the Ladera Ranch, CA Pavilions... I've never seen someone buy something, but it's nice to know that I can run out at 10 pm and buy that emergency iPod I need...

celebrian23
Mar 30, 2006, 04:34 PM
I think it's a funny idea quite frankly. As in dumb. :cool:

DCapple
Mar 30, 2006, 08:35 PM
i cant believe im so not updated...i wish to see one...we dont have it here in Singapore..:o

crazyfortech
Mar 30, 2006, 08:47 PM
I think, I'm pretty sure I saw one in the Atlanta Airport, but I'm not sure, I think they were, respectively the same price they are now

eoin3
Mar 30, 2006, 09:17 PM
So what if your ipod gets hung up like a bag of chips in the vending machine? You know...about to drop but dangling there, just out of reach. You shake and kick the infernal machine. No luck. It won't budge. Then, when you go to try to find an attendent the next person comes along...sees your ipod hanging there...buys one of their own and get's a bonus Ipod!!... you then come back, all in a huff, with a slack-jawed attendant in tow and .....nothing...no hanging ipod...no evidence that your ipod was ever there... just you..OUT $400!

Kingsly
Mar 30, 2006, 11:17 PM
Its actually pretty cool to see it in action... a robotic arm picks up the iPod and drops it in a hopper for retrieval.

Marky_Mark
Mar 31, 2006, 03:56 AM
So what if your ipod gets hung up like a bag of chips in the vending machine? You know...about to drop but dangling there, just out of reach. You shake and kick the infernal machine. No luck. It won't budge. Then, when you go to try to find an attendent the next person comes along...sees your ipod hanging there...buys one of their own and get's a bonus Ipod!!... you then come back, all in a huff, with a slack-jawed attendant in tow and .....nothing...no hanging ipod...no evidence that your ipod was ever there... just you..OUT $400!

I think I'd just put my head between my knees and howl like a baby :D

Especially if they bought a 30 and got your 60 for nuthin'

asxtb
Mar 31, 2006, 05:33 AM
I've never seen someone buy something, but it's nice to know that I can run out at 10 pm and buy that emergency iPod I need...
No iPod vending machines here in Japan, but if I do need to buy my emergency iPod I can just run to the 7/11 just around the corner. Nano's, 5G's, cases, and iTunes cards! All available 24 hours a day!!!

Edit: No iPod vending machines here in Japan that I have seen.

m-dogg
Mar 31, 2006, 06:31 AM
Yup - Saw one in Atlanta's airport back in February...

StarbucksSam
Mar 31, 2006, 09:06 AM
I'd never like, buy one from one of those. I'd look for a good deal on Amazon or Buy.com, or something --- but those machines are not nice. They make me nervous.

sprstu
Mar 31, 2006, 10:38 AM
B...9
I said B, 9 damnit!
C, 0? WTF is C0?
Oh No, 512 shuffle?!! what the heck am i going to do with a 512 shuffle?

DCapple
Mar 31, 2006, 09:43 PM
Its actually pretty cool to see it in action... a robotic arm picks up the iPod and drops it in a hopper for retrieval.

how high do you think it is drop? Is it high enough to have damages upon retrieval even its inside a box....:confused: :confused: :confused:

DeSnousa
Mar 31, 2006, 09:48 PM
I wonder if their is an education option :p

DCapple
Mar 31, 2006, 10:02 PM

hahaha...no seriously does the drop dont damge the iPods?

Stampyhead
Mar 31, 2006, 10:25 PM
Has anyone here actually bought an iPod from one of these machines?
It makes sense in a place like an airport where people have to stay inside and maybe they forgot their iPod. Talk about an impulse purchase.

WildCowboy
Mar 31, 2006, 10:35 PM
how high do you think it is drop? Is it high enough to have damages upon retrieval even its inside a box....:confused: :confused: :confused:

As Kinsley pointed out, the items don't drop like in a traditional vending machine. A robotic arm plucks it from its spot and deposits it in a hopper where you can retrieve it.

DCapple
Apr 4, 2006, 11:00 PM
It makes sense in a place like an airport where people have to stay inside and maybe they forgot their iPod. Talk about an impulse purchase.

yes i want to know that also...if anyone purchased an iPod from this vending machine? :)

portent
Apr 5, 2006, 12:17 AM
If I ever decide to buy another iPod, that's where I'm doing it. Definitely.

It'd be worth it just to see the look on the face of passers-by.

I could also see someone using them to pick up a case, or some earphones or a power adapter they forgot to pack. And of course, it's great for the oh-crap-I-was-supposed-to-bring-back-a-gift-from-my-vacation set.

DCapple
Apr 5, 2006, 12:20 AM
If I ever decide to buy another iPod, that's where I'm doing it. Definitely.

It'd be worth it just to see the look on the face of passers-by.

I could also see someone using them to pick up a case, or some earphones or a power adapter they forgot to pack. And of course, it's great for the oh-crap-I-was-supposed-to-bring-back-a-gift-from-my-vacation set.

if you do get iPod from that machine tell us how it works or you can take a picture while purchasing it just a souvenir...:) :) :)

Timothy
Apr 6, 2006, 11:47 AM
I think this concept is brilliant.

Especially for accessories...headphones, cases, extended batteries, etc. I think Apple should buy this company and scrap the mini store idea for this. Put them in grocery stores, malls, etc. That way, the stores could guarantee the purchases, but you could mass distribute the products all over.

Brilliant idea...

Ja Di ksw
Apr 6, 2006, 12:14 PM
iPods aren't like discmans or walkmans, you have to load the music onto it. I go to an airport, don't have my iPod on me, so now I buy one with . . . . no songs on it to listen to? What's the point?

"You might have your computer with you, then you can put the songs on it"

"Or I could just listen to them off my computer if I have it with me"

"You don't have headphones for your computer and don't want to play it loudly on the plane"

". . . . so you buy an iPod for the oh-so-high-quality headphones? Brilliant"

"What if you have your computer on you, no headphones, and the iPods come charged (do they?)? Then you would want one b/c it would last longer"

"Yes, yes. I suppose if I was traveling for longer than my computer's battery/batteries lasted, had my computer on me, had no headphones, had forgotten my iPod at home, had hundreds of dollars to blow on something I already own, and was so use to other people entertaining me that I couldn't amuse myself for a few hours, then yes, I *might* buy one"

"See!? It's a good idea!"

viperguy
Apr 6, 2006, 12:54 PM
LOL great stuff, this should be posted on the main macrumors page

m-dogg
Apr 6, 2006, 02:12 PM

Yes, just swipe your student ID! ;) :p

macpastor
Apr 6, 2006, 02:17 PM
Has anyone actually bought off one of these units???

Timothy
Apr 6, 2006, 06:06 PM
I know several of you keep critiquing this idea as though airports are the only place that houses these vending units. But, the story I saw on CNN today had one in a grocery store.

Sure, airports pose the question of "how do you load music on it for your flight." But, the larger outlet of these, for me, are to put them in multiple locations around a city or town that might not otherwise have close access to other stores or distribution outlets...

These, essentially, become an iPod store that you can place just about anywhere. And in those terms, I still think they are brilliant.

Think beyond airports. Think college campus. Think strip malls. Think grocery stores. Think subway terminals. To be able to capture the quick impulse purchase of lots of consumers without having to open up a store? Brilliant.

briansolomon
Apr 6, 2006, 06:18 PM

I had a friend buy a nano from the one in Atlanta last year shortly after the nano debuted. He asked me if I had heard of them...and I had, thanks to Macrumors.

Music was preloaded on it, I believe.

Brian