PDA

View Full Version : PowerBook G4 ToolBar...

PimpGGG
Apr 23, 2006, 08:41 PM
My computer restarted and now the toolbar up top is messed up...everything is gone from it..and whenever i click for the battery status to come back up and the time to come back up, it never goes...

i dont know what to do..so im asking you guys...please help..

wmmk
Apr 23, 2006, 08:53 PM
My computer restarted and now the toolbar up top is messed up...everything is gone from it..and whenever i click for the battery status to come back up and the time to come back up, it never goes...

i dont know what to do..so im asking you guys...please help..

well, have you installed front row enabler and installed front row? that would explain that.

yankeefan24
Apr 23, 2006, 08:53 PM
Did, by any chance, you hack Front Row into it?

If the answer is no to the above question, try restarting again, and repairing permissions.

Did you upgrade the OS or anything recently?

Good Luck!

EDIT: My grudge against Democrats gets stronger. Just kidding. ;)

PimpGGG
Apr 23, 2006, 08:54 PM
yes i did that front row thingy..but it never worked

motulist
Apr 23, 2006, 08:57 PM
My computer restarted

Do you mean it restarted by randomly by itself and you don't know why or do you mean that you had to restart it on purpose for some reason? If it is the latter and not the former I'd suggest trying to do another restart to see if it clears up. If it restarted by itself for some unknown reason I'd suggest not doing anything else with it until you give us a much more detailed explanation of your system, what was happening when it restarted and what symptoms you are experiencing now.

I see you're a newbie to this forum. To get the best response to questions you post in the future try to give as many details you can about your system, what's happening and what your question is.

PimpGGG
Apr 23, 2006, 09:01 PM
ok i was talking on aim...or adium x..and it just restarted..and when it came back up my desktop was gone..all my programs were gone from the bottom...all my new icons...the time bar is gone and the battery status is gone..everytime i click em to come back...they done...i have done that front row thingy..but it never worked for me..idk what im doing..but its not cool...

motulist
Apr 23, 2006, 09:13 PM
Did it restart like it normally does and go through the whole shut down process or did it just sudden turn completely off like the whole computer crashed and then began the normal startup process?

PimpGGG
Apr 23, 2006, 09:14 PM
it jus turned off then restarted all normaly...

discoforce
Apr 23, 2006, 09:14 PM
ok i was talking on aim...or adium x..and it just restarted..and when it came back up my desktop was gone..all my programs were gone from the bottom...all my new icons...the time bar is gone and the battery status is gone..everytime i click em to come back...they done...i have done that front row thingy..but it never worked for me..idk what im doing..but its not cool...

Front row thingy bad. Click here (http://www.macworld.com/weblogs/mac911/2006/03/frontrowhack/index.php).

motulist
Apr 23, 2006, 09:22 PM
Judging by several factors I'd say you are a young person. I hope your system gets fixed, but no matter what happens I think you just learned a valuable lesson. You should never install anything without researching it first, especially not something that requires you to hack your system and especially not on a system that has anything you care about on. Since I don't know anything about the Front Row hack I can't help you any further.

PimpGGG
Apr 23, 2006, 09:23 PM
well i know im a young person...and yes ur right on all that...but any help on this to get it fixed would be great by any1

motulist
Apr 23, 2006, 10:28 PM
Because the mods here don't allow discussions about things that are pirated you are likely to find little info on the pirated version of front row or how to recover from its ill effects. The best advice I can give you is to try looking on a different website for help with that problem. Just google it.

discoforce
Apr 24, 2006, 08:05 AM
well i know im a young person...and yes ur right on all that...but any help on this to get it fixed would be great by any1

COUGH(read my post above)COUGH

PimpGGG
Apr 24, 2006, 07:39 PM
COUGH(read my post above)COUGH

dude omg i did that...and now my computer said to restart..so i did...and now on it restarting...it stops at the white page wit the apple on it wit the loading thingy.....wont go anywhere after that...

discoforce
Apr 24, 2006, 07:43 PM
dude omg i did that...and now my computer said to restart..so i did...and now on it restarting...it stops at the white page wit the apple on it wit the loading thingy.....wont go anywhere after that...

You updated your OS from Apple and your computer works less? :confused: If that's the case, it sounds like the hack did some nasty stuff.

EDIT: Time to get out the software install/restore disk and boot from that & run disk utility.

motulist
Apr 24, 2006, 08:50 PM
Worst come to worst, backup your data and do a clean install of the OS.

PimpGGG
Apr 24, 2006, 08:54 PM
can sum one tell me how to backup my data and do a cold reboot?

tonywalker23
Apr 24, 2006, 09:02 PM
try downloading the latest 10.4.6 update from apple downloads page and install it (even if you installed it with swupdate)

that may help, ive read it does

PimpGGG
Apr 24, 2006, 09:04 PM
ok but my computer wont get that far....i cant even get to the desktop

discoforce
Apr 24, 2006, 09:10 PM
ok but my computer wont get that far....i cant even get to the desktop

Macfixit.com has some great troubleshooting tutorials, try this (http://www.macfixit.com/article.php?story=20060322080433175).

PimpGGG
Apr 24, 2006, 09:24 PM
hey man that site is pimp...but i dont understand how to do it...

discoforce
Apr 24, 2006, 09:35 PM
hey man that site is pimp...but i dont understand how to do it...

That's why I recommended a page that explained how to do it. I believe in you! Follow the directions and you can do it. :)

PimpGGG
Apr 24, 2006, 09:45 PM
dude...its confusin...i tired..and got nowhere..

motulist
Apr 24, 2006, 10:10 PM
If you have access to another Mac just start up your computer in target disk mode (do a search here to find out how to do this) to backup the files you care about through that other Mac. Once that's done, startup your computer from the Mac OS install cd and do a clean install. This will give you a fresh unhacked copy of the operating system.

PimpGGG
Apr 24, 2006, 10:11 PM
i dont have another mac

motulist
Apr 24, 2006, 10:37 PM
I think we've pretty much given you all the info that there is. Either do what discoforce recommended you do or what I recommended you do. Search the forum for ways that you can do a backup. Once you're backed up, startup from the install cd and do a clean install.

motulist
Apr 24, 2006, 10:40 PM
How to backup:

http://forums.macrumors.com/search.php?searchid=3288099

PimpGGG
Apr 24, 2006, 10:58 PM
how do i do the backup with the computer not booting up...it stays at the screen with apple logo..

Shamus
Apr 25, 2006, 12:31 AM
Does one of your friends own a Mac? Does your school have a Mac?

If so, you could use Motulist's advice to backup the HDD.

PimpGGG
Apr 25, 2006, 06:34 AM
guys no1 around me has a mac...besides the store...which is 45 min away in detriot.

motulist
Apr 25, 2006, 07:12 AM
You're a young guy, so I'm gonna give you a little friendly advice. You asked for help when you had a problem, and that's a good thing. The community here seems to have given you lots of good recommendations for how to fix the problem. The rest is up to you. If you need a way to backup in an unusual situation, look around and do some research, a great answer may already be floating out there if you do some searches. If you really can't find a solution because your problem is so unique, then post a new question in the help forum with a new title because the question you asked when you started this thread was answered a long time ago. I'm sure with a little hard work on your part you'll get your problem fixed. Good luck.