PDA

View Full Version : 15.4 inch Powerbook

MacRumors
Feb 10, 2003, 06:17 AM
MacOSRumors (http://www.macosrumors.com/) claims that 15" Powerbook stocks remain substantial, and believe that a new 15" PowerBook isn't likely to arrive for about 2-4 weeks.

john123
Feb 10, 2003, 09:14 AM
Great...that means we're going to see revisions of the PowerBook.

I swear, MOSR has just about the worst track record out there. They're an embarrassment to the rumor community.

On a side note, I'd have to say that their prediction makes a lot more sense...I really don't see the current 15" going anywhere until closer to mid-year (about when they phase out those OS 9 bootable dual 1.25s).

agreenster
Feb 10, 2003, 10:54 AM
Regardless, Im torn as well. I just sold my Ti550 and am ready to get the 15.2 1Ghz...........but if the 15.4 is a month away, Im willing to wait. Now, 3 months....im not so sure.

I hate being one of those people who never buy because they know a new revision is coming, but this revision is very big. New aluminum case, DDR ram, built in bluetooth, FW800, etc....

and who can resisit that cool keyboard?

WHAT TO DO?

chazmox
Feb 10, 2003, 11:57 AM
Yea, I know this is gonna be like washing my car and making it rain.

If I buy something they will release the 15 inch AL, if I don't and wait, they won't release it for some time!

ARRRGGGGH!

rideahyperLite
Feb 10, 2003, 12:17 PM
Originally posted by chazmox
Yea, I know this is gonna be like washing my car and making it rain.

If I buy something they will release the 15 inch AL, if I don't and wait, they won't release it for some time!

ARRRGGGGH!

so take one for the team any buy the 15 now cuz i cant wait any longer

nicmac
Feb 10, 2003, 01:20 PM
I hope the finish on the new 15" keyboard is better than the 12" powerbook. Apple can do better than that. I would rather see a "Bronze" style keyboard with a back light rather than that cheap painted silver finish.
What do you think?

Das
Feb 10, 2003, 01:33 PM
Well, I've only had my 867 pb for a week, so I'm happy to see it's not going to be outdated that fast. Still, even when the new ones come out, I'll still be sticking with the current model for OS9 booting (I just spent all of my money on the PB and I don't have the cash to upgrade to Director MX).

Freg3000
Feb 10, 2003, 02:36 PM
Originally posted by nicmac
I hope the finish on the new 15" keyboard is better than the 12" powerbook. Apple can do better than that. I would rather see a "Bronze" style keyboard with a back light rather than that cheap painted silver finish.
What do you think?

Personally, i just want the back light period. I am starting to worry that Apple won't include this on the future 15.4" Powerbook. They will keep it as a sole independent feature of the 17".

Hopefully I'm wrong.

CybrCyfr
Feb 10, 2003, 02:43 PM
I was just at the Apple Store and bought a new iBook. But they were out of Airport cards so I went to a local Mac retailer (unnamed).

I asked a friend of mine who works there when to expect the new 15", and he told me they would be recieving it in mid March, maybe late March.

I don't know how much he would really know, but he has never given me an incorrect date so far. I don't think he fully understood the Apple NDA :)

Lets hope so!

P.S. I can't wait to get home and open my new iBook! And I was able to show two other co-workers away from the Dark Side, and they are both purchasing iBooks next week. :) Maybe they are "switch-hitters"?

nicmac
Feb 10, 2003, 04:27 PM
Originally posted by Freg3000

Personally, i just want the back light period. I am starting to worry that Apple won't include this on the future 15.4" Powerbook. They will keep it as a sole independent feature of the 17".

Hopefully I'm wrong.

The back lit keyboard would motivate me to buy the new 15.4" powerbook as i work
in poor lighting often and anything that could help my aging eyes is welcome.
I am sure there are many other baby boomers out there who would welcome any visual aids.

MacCoaster
Feb 10, 2003, 04:28 PM
Why is it ALWAYS .4? Why bother changing the current form factor when they could just modify it for use with Aluminum... sticking with 15.2".

Now, Apple could prove me wrong, but seriously. I think 15.4" was pulled from the length of the 17" PowerBook.

Bear
Feb 10, 2003, 04:31 PM
Originally posted by MacCoaster
Why is it ALWAYS .4? Why bother changing the current form factor when they could just modify it for use with Aluminum... sticking with 15.2".

Now, Apple could prove me wrong, but seriously. I think 15.4" was pulled from the length of the 17" PowerBook.
The only reason I can think of for Apple to change the screen size would be if they had to change LCD manufacturers.

Well, actually one other reason, if they don't increase the processor speed, it's another reason for people to get a new 15.x" PowerBook.

yzedf
Feb 10, 2003, 04:51 PM

15.4" is the new LCD size that is being standardized. For apple and the 16*10 aspect.

Remember, screen size is a diagonal(sp?) measurement. Top-left to bottom-right...

RndmAxess
Feb 10, 2003, 06:00 PM
deleted

MUrhino
Feb 10, 2003, 07:23 PM
I saw on macwhispers that they have products listed as to the likelihood that they will be released this coming week. As of today they have the new 15.4" PB and new iPods coming out. They are stated as "Very likely, ready to go". The had Xserve listed as "Possible but not certain", but that came out today. Let's hope they're right! C'mon Apple....I've been waiting for almost a year for the perfect laptop...or damn near close:D

gameboy
Feb 10, 2003, 08:14 PM
First post here,

anyhow, a computer store of UC Irvine just cut some price of 15inch Superdrive to $1999 !!!
http://grace.book.uci.edu/bookstore/computer/pbook/pbooks.html
(it's a student, faculty, staff.etc. deal but still amazing price)

Not sure but apple really wants to get rid of stocks ASAP it seems.

Will be a new 15inch this week?

coolbreeze
Feb 10, 2003, 08:24 PM
Haha, click on "upgrade" on the $1999 Pbook and look at the text on the browser window..."Dell computers pricing"

...well, not quite....

tgrundke
Feb 10, 2003, 10:41 PM
Good Lord, recon from MOSR stating that it will be weeks means that we should expect the new PowerBooks anyday now.

For the love of God, they're accuracy has been so poor lately they should be embarrassed posting anything to their site anymore. Ugh.

However, I would bet that it won't be until mid to late March before we see revisions. PLEASE LET IT BE SO and gimmie the cool backlit keyboard!

FlamDrag
Feb 10, 2003, 11:04 PM
I'm still not sure why anyone would expect Apple to release a new 15PB anytime before >90% of the 17PB orders are shipped. If they came out next week soooooo many 17 orders would be cancelled it's not even funny. They'll probably be pretty similar machines and folks will look at the price difference and switch down to the 15.

They'd be better served just stockpiling the things so that they can ship immediately when they are announced. Meanwhile, they can watch as profits from the 17 roll in the door.

LethalWolfe
Feb 10, 2003, 11:53 PM
Originally posted by FlamDrag
I'm still not sure why anyone would expect Apple to release a new 15PB anytime before >90% of the 17PB orders are shipped. If they came out next week soooooo many 17 orders would be cancelled it's not even funny. They'll probably be pretty similar machines and folks will look at the price difference and switch down to the 15.

They'd be better served just stockpiling the things so that they can ship immediately when they are announced. Meanwhile, they can watch as profits from the 17 roll in the door.

Do you really think that many 17" orders would be cancelled? I'm sure some would, but w/the 17" being so big I though most people would stay away from it unless they needed a screen that large. And if they bought it for the screen size I doubt they'd "down grade" to the 15. Just my thoughs. I've never purchased a laptop so WTF do I know? ;)

Lethal

dhbiii
Feb 11, 2003, 12:48 AM
OK, I will be the sacrificial lamb. I just bought a 1 GHz TiBook, so the new one can come out next week.

Actually, I bought a 12 inch Powerbook, but had to return TWO of them as defective out of the box (one had a broken key, and the other a broken VGA out port).

I'll stick with titanium until the rev. B Aluminum 15 inch comes out. I have wasted too much time returning new machines.

-- dhb

MacWhispers
Feb 11, 2003, 12:54 AM

The LG-Philips 15.2" scren now used is a two year old design. Now, LG-Philips and Chi Mei Optoelectronics both have 15.4" panels at 1280x800 pixels... a 54 pixel vertical resolution reduction, I know. BUT, both of these latest generation panels have specs that simply spank the screen in the present TiBook, with the Chi Mei panel being slightly the superior, with over 75% color saturation (for one item). Either panel makes the present TiBook screen look like a washed out mess.

The Chi Mei panel, even with slightly better specs than the LG-Philips option has OEM pricing a full US$90.00 less than the LG-Philips panel.

Of the three options discussed, which would you choose?

That's why we're going to be seeing a 15.4-inch screen.

WannabeSQ
Feb 11, 2003, 02:16 AM
That, and it adds another thing to make people buy, I am looking at the 12" pbook for portability, but a 15.4 with better specs, widescreen, etc might appeal to me, as with a larger body, they can make a larger battery, and slightly increase battery life (I hope, im not sure how the 14" iBook's bigger battery lasts while driving the larger screen) Plus if it has the backlit keyboard, i just might get one.

john123
Feb 11, 2003, 04:34 AM
Originally posted by MacWhispers

The LG-Philips 15.2" scren now used is a two year old design. Now, LG-Philips and Chi Mei Optoelectronics both have 15.4" panels at 1280x800 pixels... a 54 pixel vertical resolution reduction, I know. BUT, both of these latest generation panels have specs that simply spank the screen in the present TiBook, with the Chi Mei panel being slightly the superior, with over 75% color saturation (for one item). Either panel makes the present TiBook screen look like a washed out mess.

The Chi Mei panel, even with slightly better specs than the LG-Philips option has OEM pricing a full US$90.00 less than the LG-Philips panel.

Of the three options discussed, which would you choose?

That's why we're going to be seeing a 15.4-inch screen.

I'll take my washed out mess and keep my 54 pixels, thank you very much.

I'm pretty satisfied with the screen on my TiBook. In fact, I keep it at half brightness almost all the time to spare the backlight (it amazes me how many people are convinced that each new laptop has a screen that is "so much brighter" than their old one or a friend's -- more often than not, the biggest part of the difference is because you're comparing a new backlight to a used one, you dummy!)

In fact, if I were to have one criticism, it's resolution. I want more pixels. OS X's font smoothing was a decent idea I guess, but with our current screens, it leaves a lot to be desired in the way of implementation. The multicolored pixel effect annoys me and others (take a look at lower-case L's in the menu bar -- that vertical band of red just drives me nuts), and it would be much mittigated if our friends in Cupertino would slap a high-res screen in our PowerBooks.

And for those folks who claim that would make the fonts "too small," you can use that technology built into OS X and scale everything up.

Bear
Feb 11, 2003, 06:30 AM
Originally posted by MacWhispers
I would hate to lose the 54 pixels of vertical resolution.

And as for the screen quality, I keep the brightness on my TiBook about 3 notches down from maximum usually. If the display is actually better, it might be a draw, but I won't actually be replacing the TiBook for at least a year, so I'll have to see what Apple has in the product line then.

dubbelhund
Feb 11, 2003, 09:32 AM
Originally posted by nicmac
What do you think?

Yep I agree. Anything is better than the butt ugly "trying to fake aluminum" keys. it looks like crap. although the backlight feature is a great idea, the exposed connections (ibook style) are just begging to get crap stuck in there. Thank god for my 1Ghz Ti Bk.

iJon
Feb 11, 2003, 03:40 PM
i am still wondering about what apple is gonna do about the 15 inchers. they are fairly new and they just came out with the 17 at 1gz. the 15 is 1ghz as well. if they update them will they keep the same processor, that doesnt make to much sense. i still think apple will keep it around and get there product dates evened out and then update all of them at the same time. but who knows, this is just my guess and i am more than likely wrong. we just have to admit we will never know whats goin on in the brain of apple.

iJon

mattbills
Feb 11, 2003, 07:52 PM
Originally posted by agreenster
Regardless, Im torn as well. I just sold my Ti550 and am ready to get the 15.2 1Ghz...........but if the 15.4 is a month away, Im willing to wait. Now, 3 months....im not so sure.

I hate being one of those people who never buy because they know a new revision is coming, but this revision is very big. New aluminum case, DDR ram, built in bluetooth, FW800, etc....

WHAT TO DO?

I must be TOTALLY uninformed here! Why do people think that they are going to make the new screen a 15.4"?? isn't that a bit silly?

In response to waiting for the revision....IT'S WORTH IT!!!!!! Even the HD spins faster...it seems everything will be so much better!

Question for Steve Jobs: Why are Macs so SWEET?!!?!?

john123
Feb 11, 2003, 11:47 PM
Originally posted by mattbills

I must be TOTALLY uninformed here! Why do people think that they are going to make the new screen a 15.4"?? isn't that a bit silly?

In response to waiting for the revision....IT'S WORTH IT!!!!!! Even the HD spins faster...it seems everything will be so much better!

Question for Steve Jobs: Why are Macs so SWEET?!!?!?

Where did you come up with this nonsense? I can guarantee you the hard drives will be the exact same ones they use in the current models.

Good grief...

pmh
Feb 12, 2003, 06:49 AM
Perhaps Apple will even things out a bit with the next PB anouncement (this month I'm still hoping):

New 17" 1.33GHz (Available late April)
'Old' 17" 1GHz (Shipping March)

New 15.4" 1.25GHz (Available late April)
New 15.4" 1.00Ghz (Shipping March)

New 12" 1.00GHz (Available late April)
'Old' 12" 867MHz (Shipping Now)

This helps fence sitters, like myself, stay in place - now that I;ve waited for the 15.4/1GHz, I should wait a bit longer for the 15.4/1.25GHz

--
paul

FlamDrag
Feb 12, 2003, 09:13 AM
Yes, I do think that quite a few people would cancell their 17PB orders if a new 15 came out in the next week or so. It's easy convince yourselft that it's better to save that premium $ from the larger screen (or get worried that it's too big to tote) and spend it elsewhere or not at all. It's an easy decision right now since it's either an "old" smaller version or a "new" bigger version with the new toy factor. If they update the 15 too soon, it will have almost the identical toy factor as the 17 just with a smaller screen - yet a size that everyone is used to. Once it's in hand - it should be hard to turn it down though.

pmh's suggestions seem feasible, although I obviously disagree with the timing. Yes I realize he said "hoping".

Although I would think that they would only have his "new" suggestions at the store. Especially the 17. It seems to me that they might offer only one "premium" option. But I can see offering two 12's and maybe two 15's. Although it does seem a bit silly to me to update the 15 with almost identical specs (1Ghz etc).

Good thoughts though. Certainly could happen. I'm curious why you say 1.33 and not 1.42?

yzedf
Feb 12, 2003, 09:14 AM
why would apple update something that has not started to ship yet?

and i think the 1.25GHz is a more likely choice... ;)

mattbills
Feb 12, 2003, 09:24 AM
Originally posted by john123

Where did you come up with this nonsense? I can guarantee you the hard drives will be the exact same ones they use in the current models.

Good grief...

OOPS! you're right just the 17" will have a faster spinning drive...sorry!

-mattbills

john123
Feb 12, 2003, 12:31 PM

OOPS! you're right just the 17" will have a faster spinning drive...sorry!

-mattbills

Not them either. 4200rpm across the board....

john123
Feb 12, 2003, 12:33 PM
Originally posted by pmh
Perhaps Apple will even things out a bit with the next PB anouncement (this month I'm still hoping):

New 17" 1.33GHz (Available late April)
'Old' 17" 1GHz (Shipping March)

New 15.4" 1.25GHz (Available late April)
New 15.4" 1.00Ghz (Shipping March)

New 12" 1.00GHz (Available late April)
'Old' 12" 867MHz (Shipping Now)

This helps fence sitters, like myself, stay in place - now that I;ve waited for the 15.4/1GHz, I should wait a bit longer for the 15.4/1.25GHz

--
paul

This has about a snowball's chance in the land down under...

mattbills
Feb 12, 2003, 02:33 PM

Not them either. 4200rpm across the board....

12 inch and 17 inch powerbooks have a faster data transfer rate (ata/100) the older 15inch has an ata/66. there is a considerable difference here.

-mattbills

john123
Feb 12, 2003, 02:34 PM

12 inch and 17 inch powerbooks have a faster data transfer rate (ata/100) the older 15inch has an ata/66. there is a considerable difference here.

-mattbills

That's the bus speed. That's not a "faster spinning drive" as you originally referred to it. The speed at which a drive spins is measured in rpm, and the common speed on laptops is 4200rpm. You can get 5400rpm drives, but they use more power.

mattbills
Feb 12, 2003, 02:39 PM

That's the bus speed. That's not a "faster spinning drive" as you originally referred to it. The speed at which a drive spins is measured in rpm, and the common speed on laptops is 4200rpm. You can get 5400rpm drives, but they use more power.

I stand corrected!

mattbills
Feb 12, 2003, 02:49 PM
I was in comp usa just now and they had a demo of the new 12" powerbook. i can't say i love the new keyboard...it feels a bit cheap! are the keys aluminum or just painted plastic?? if painted, will the paint wear off? the old charcoal color keys were aewsome! the new ones feel like they might break easy. hmmm... any ideas?

ALSO....HEEEEEEELP MEEEEEEE!!!!!! I am debating between getting the new 17" Albook and the new top of the line Powermac with a 23" HD screen. What would you fellow mac users get? i'm used to the powerbook, and i have wireless internet in my house....so it's awesome plopping on the couch in front of the TV, and checking email and stuff, but is the huge gorgeous HD display and a performance boos worth staying stationary? what would you guys do???

-Mattbills

WannabeSQ
Feb 12, 2003, 07:17 PM
if you are used to a portable, a desktop might feel restricted. But if you want a sort of compromise, get the display and the powerbook, and get a DVI ADC adapter, you could even get a Pro keyboard and mouse and "dock" the laptop, and make it a temporary desktop. Or get a laptop and a desktop......

GPTurismo
Feb 12, 2003, 11:53 PM
Originally posted by agreenster

WHAT TO DO?

I learned my lesson. By the last models at a way cheaper price O:-)

When the new machines come out, go snatch up one of the old ones a few weeks later.

jefhatfield
Feb 15, 2003, 06:07 AM
i could see the dropping of the 15" inch model's titanium shell, because of it's difficulty in manufacturing and cost, in favor of an aluminum shell

in most cases, aluminum is strong enough...so is magnesium alloy

still, the most important thing for me in a pro machine is what is on the inside

Polyktor
Feb 27, 2003, 09:48 PM
I'm going with GP, buy the TiBook once the new ones are out. Any good suggestions where to run to in order to get an "old" TiBook 1ghz when the new 15" ones come out?

-P

yzedf
Feb 28, 2003, 11:15 AM
ALSO....HEEEEEEELP MEEEEEEE!!!!!! I am debating between getting the new 17" Albook and the new top of the line Powermac with a 23" HD screen. What would you fellow mac users get? i'm used to the powerbook, and i have wireless internet in my house....so it's awesome plopping on the couch in front of the TV, and checking email and stuff, but is the huge gorgeous HD display and a performance boos worth staying stationary? what would you guys do???

-Mattbills

I don't buy the first version of anything new. Always have more problems. Avoid the 17" PB for now. When it comes to fruition, it will have issues. Wait and see how bad they are first, then decide. Plus, you can upgrade the tower so much easier.