PDA

View Full Version : MacBook Delays? Next Tuesday?

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

MacRumors
May 9, 2006, 04:43 PM
http://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com)

After high expectations of an iBook revision today, ThinkSecret claims (http://www.thinksecret.com/news/050609macbook.html) that the MacBook release was postponed due to low inventory of the unreleased MacBook. The next date being targeted is May 16th, 2006. (aka "Next Tuesday").

Many readers may be disappointed in the lack of release, but Appleinsider also (http://www.macrumors.com/pages/2006/05/20060508164940.shtml) reiterates an imminent release within the next few weeks.

Meanwhile, the "MacBook" slip-up (http://guides.macrumors.com/Image:ipodMacBook.jpg) on Apple's site also feeds speculation that the MacBook will be arriving shortly. Apple's last web mishap (iWeb) (http://www.macrumors.com/pages/2006/01/20060105114200.shtml) predated the iWeb announcement by 5 days.

paddy
May 9, 2006, 04:44 PM
How often are we going to hear this rumour?

nylon
May 9, 2006, 04:44 PM
What a load of rubbish. Thinksecret is simply covering up. I'll believe it when I see it.

ZildjianKX
May 9, 2006, 04:45 PM
Please no interegrated graphics card... ;)

macgeek2005
May 9, 2006, 04:47 PM
What a load of rubbish. Thinksecret is simply covering up. I'll believe it when I see it.

Be about it. All your phony storytelling, I can do without it.

As unknown prophets would say......

razzmatazz
I don't mind the delay. I want one when they come out but don't have the money right now. Oh well hopefully they will have the bugs fixed out by the time I have enough for one.

danielwsmithee
Why don't they just say the truth. We know it will be released on a Tuesday in the next two months!

Romanesq
for the integrated graphic chipsets to be made in sufficient volume.
But the Chinese plant is now making a good acceptable quantity now.

Leesure
May 9, 2006, 04:48 PM
And next tuesday it will be the following tuesday, and so on, and so on...

Now I know how Sisyphus feels.:(

ionos
May 9, 2006, 04:49 PM
When Apple announces a special 'meeting', then you'll know.

I seriously doubt they'd even consider downplaying something of this importance.

miketcool
May 9, 2006, 04:50 PM
And so it never ends....

Tuesday is the new Friday:
Rumors go wrong, can't wait til next Tuesday!

iDrinkKoolAid
May 9, 2006, 04:50 PM
I can't even play Second Life smoothly on my 1.5 GHz PowerBook G4 12-inch. Same goes for when I try to use Virtual PC and Photoshop (on the Mac side) simultaneously. In both instances, my CPU usage shoots up to 99%. Even a slower Core Duo would be a monumental speed increase. A smaller form-factor Apple laptop cannot come sooner for me.

Plymouthbreezer
May 9, 2006, 04:51 PM
This is all lame.

Math.PI
May 9, 2006, 04:52 PM
Here we go again...

I doubt a supply problem was really the issue. While there'd probably be a shipment delay like the MBPs so I do not really believe that they would hold for supply issues, I think Apple knows how popular they were going to be. It just was not going to be released today.

mac-x
May 9, 2006, 04:54 PM
cool lets make it to #1000 again! yihaa ;)
Yea told u, this is the best coverup they can come up with, short supply yeah right...
next tuesday wont be for sure, more like 23th because of the ibook rebate coupons some received till 21th
Its better they make a new rumor, MACBOOK IN JUNE, because that every tuesday thing is getting old....
Im sure they cant even predict it when a day before, an with just guessing everytime eventually its gotta be right...
Lets forget macbook im thinking MBPro

blakemsf
May 9, 2006, 04:55 PM
They have been wrong way more times than AI. Although I do believe it will be next week, maybe Tuesday but I would put my money on next Friday.

PS Steve I really need a laptop ASAP so hopefully it will be this month!

Leoff
Let's say the reasons for a delay was true, that they wanted to beef up production so they have plenty in stock...

Is one frigging week really gonna make supply all that much better?

GooMan
Apple is just about to accomplish its goal. I am almost ready to say screw it and buy a MacBook Pro. :(

Of course, as soon as I do they will launch the MacBook the next day.

Doctor Q
Why don't they just say the truth. We know it will be released on a Tuesday in the next two months!Even that isn't guaranteed. Apple sometimes picks other days of the week. And who knows: Apple may fool us by not releasing something called MacBook at all!

Something else to speculate on: If Apple plans an announcement and then finds inventory is too low or some last-minute flaw in the product, how close to the date of the planned announcement can they get and still change their mind and stop the roll-out machinery (news releases, press interviews, Store promos, website changes, ad campaigns)? A week? A day? An hour?

rdowns
May 9, 2006, 04:57 PM

You mean the burning sensation? :eek:

blackstone
May 9, 2006, 04:57 PM
They have been wrong way more times than AI. Although I do believe it will be next week, maybe Tuesday but I would put my money on next Friday.

PS Steve I really need a laptop ASAP so hopefully it will be this month!

Hmm...how much money would you put on it? :D

Di9it8
May 9, 2006, 04:58 PM
Every "Next Tuesday"!!:rolleyes:

razzmatazz
May 9, 2006, 04:59 PM
This is getting bad as "Powerbook G5 next tuesday" was!

VicMacs
May 9, 2006, 05:01 PM
powerbook sold

ionos
May 9, 2006, 05:01 PM
Tradition folks. Look at that.

There really hasn't been anything major introduced without a 'Steve and pony show' for a long time, if memory serves. If Apple thought it would be such a big deal to sales and whatnot, don't you think it'd be out by now?

Then there's always the stockholders to keep happy from quarter to quarter.

I know it sucks to wait, but when you're not in control of the circumstances, what can you do? (other than bitch of course).

AidenShaw
May 9, 2006, 05:06 PM
for the integrated graphic chipsets to be made in sufficient volume.
The GMA950 graphics is part of the Northbridge chip - literally the same chip as the memory controller and system bus.

macridah
May 9, 2006, 05:08 PM
believe it when I see it.

Willis
May 9, 2006, 05:10 PM
i give up on this guessing crap. it comes out when it comes out. end of story. so many dates have been said, and nothing!

bah

ccunning
May 9, 2006, 05:10 PM
Did we ever find out what was in the boxes sent to apple stores marked not to be opened until today?

mutantteenager
May 9, 2006, 05:11 PM
http://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com)

(aka "Next Tuesday")

This whole 'waiting with baited breath' is lame. I love the way these rumours seem to self-perpetuate. So far we've had wishing for a MacBook with support for a 30" display (why?), dedicated graphics (unlikely), different colours (never going to happen, because of inventory problems) and the obligatory 'Apple invite' (the inventor of Photoshop spins in his grave).

Can we all take a chill-pill, this is only a computer, which will eventually come out. No one will live or die by the hand of this product. I understand this is a forum for the Mac faithful, but some people have lost all sense of reality!:confused:

monkeyandy
May 9, 2006, 05:12 PM
All this means is that when they do go on sale...all you lovely peeps who are desperate to get your hands on one of these things (myself included) will be able to get one ordered and hopefully delivered pretty sharpish!

I'm sure if they released them today and you had delays on your orders you would be even more peeved!:p

Chill man! :cool:

BugSitter
May 9, 2006, 05:12 PM
Did we ever find out what was in the boxes sent to apple stores marked not to be opened until today?

Yes! That's what I keep asking!

QCassidy352
May 9, 2006, 05:13 PM
I really think it would serve apple better to announce them now and have a longer lead time than to keep waiting. Edu buying season is slipping away from them as we speak.

freeny
May 9, 2006, 05:13 PM
My favorite quote from the TS thread-
"And inside the "Do not open until 5/9" boxes sent to the apple stores is a smaller box marked "Do not open until 5/16"".

Made me laugh!:D

Boggle
May 9, 2006, 05:21 PM
WOW! I'm just so shocked that Think Secret is predicting Macbooks next tuesday! I can't believe it, really? This tuesday for sure? Le'me call my broker. I gotta get some more shares.

The use of the word sources on Think Secret is = (in my mind) to, "I'm gonna tell people stuff they want to hear, even though I have ZERO evidence to support my claim." The reason I'm so cynical about their posts is because the info is usually wrong & the sources are never FROM anywhere. It never says, "speaking to an Apple employee from X department (or even a marketing consultant who works with Apple) on the condition of anonymity." To me an unspecified source is as credible as the worst Jerry Springer guest you can think of.

Personally, I haven't been waiting for an Macbook, but it seems to me that those who have been waiting since November get the goal posts moved on them every tuesday @ 7 AM.

Peace
I'm starting to think now if the MacBooks ARE released next Tuesday there will be invitations.REAL invitations popping up at various websites by Friday this week..
Otherwise..June

razzmatazz
"And inside the "Do not open until 5/9" boxes sent to the apple stores is a smaller box marked "Do not open until 5/16"".

Made me laugh!:D

haha that is funny...i wonder what was in those "Do not open until 5/9" boxes

mazola
May 9, 2006, 05:23 PM
I would like to vote this 'positive' but I don't know how.

Peace
May 9, 2006, 05:26 PM
I would like to vote this 'positive' but I don't know how.

go to

http://www.macrumors.com/

and rate it..

There may be other ways but that's the only one I know about.

razzmatazz
May 9, 2006, 05:27 PM
go to

http://www.macrumors.com/

and rate it..

There may be other ways but that's the only one I know about.

I think he was trying to say that he can't find anything postive in this rumor...

Legacy
May 9, 2006, 05:27 PM
Yours Sincerely

ppnkg
May 9, 2006, 05:28 PM
So what was in those boxes?

bill4588
May 9, 2006, 05:29 PM
we'll find out tomorrow....maybe....unless the boxes really DO have macbooks but the stores cant open them cuz there's a "shortage" and have to wait another week.....

nagromme
May 9, 2006, 05:30 PM
The votes say it all:

6 votes "Positive"

23 votes "Negative"

71 votes "Wolf!!!!"

Don't be too quick to blame TS, although their record hasn't been great lately. It could be TS's SOURCES who are backpedaling or inventing things to cover up their mistake, not TS themselves inventing things.

I think people had a good point who suggested that releasing a consumer notebook or iPod this week was never a good idea: it would compete for attention with E3.

PS, I believe MacBooks ARE coming this time :) In white and black, with integrated graphics, and yet still with performance to blow away a G4.

BugSitter
May 9, 2006, 05:31 PM
WOW! I'm just so shocked that Think Secret is predicting Macbooks next tuesday! I can't believe it, really? This tuesday for sure? Le'me call my broker. I gotta get some more shares.

The use of the word sources on Think Secret is = (in my mind) to, "I'm gonna tell people stuff they want to hear, even though I have ZERO evidence to support my claim." The reason I'm so cynical about their posts is because the info is usually wrong & the sources are never FROM anywhere. It never says, "speaking to an Apple employee from X department (or even a marketing consultant who works with Apple) on the condition of anonymity." To me an unspecified source is as credible as the worst Jerry Springer guest you can think of.

Personally, I haven't been waiting for an Macbook, but it seems to me that those who have been waiting since November get the goal posts moved on them every tuesday @ 7 AM.

EST or PST? ;)

chasemac
May 9, 2006, 05:32 PM

Inside those boxes were another saying "Do not open until 5/16".:)

netdog
May 9, 2006, 05:32 PM
Here we go again...

I think that would make us "goose"

razzmatazz
May 9, 2006, 05:33 PM

Maybe a note that said...

"Haha you dumb fools fell for my trick...you really thought Macbooks were in here didn't you?" - Steve Jobs

KindredMAC
I refuse to speculate as to when the MacBook will come out or what the specs will be,

BUT

I will predict that masses of people will be very VERY disappointed with the actual product that you get for the price point.

Peace
I think he was trying to say that he can't find anything postive in this rumor...

DO'H! :o

mikea
AS much As I want to stay away from these rumors...This is way too much fun!!!! Pure entertainment. I can't wait to see what THINKSTUPID says next week.
I love it.
All I want is a MacBook by the first week of june..I hope it happens.
http://www.higashi.org.uk/GuyLaughing.jpg thinksecret

BugSitter
we'll find out tomorrow....maybe....unless the boxes really DO have macbooks but the stores cant open them cuz there's a "shortage" and have to wait another week.....

Dude, no way Apple placed a personal phone call to all of its managers today telling them not to open the boxes in the nick of time.

I'm just beginning to wonder if we are starting to see boxes because we want to see boxes. Hmmm...

nsjoker
May 9, 2006, 05:34 PM
i give up on this guessing crap. it comes out when it comes out. end of story. so many dates have been said, and nothing!

bah

wow. best post ever. if only all macrumors members had your gift man. :o

jonharris200
May 9, 2006, 05:35 PM
And inside that a scrambled hand-written version of the Fibonacci sequence, plus an obscure reference to Madonna of the Rocks. :)

yoda13
May 9, 2006, 05:37 PM
Since we are having to wait longer than we would all like I hope that the product really pleases all of us...:D

Stridder44
May 9, 2006, 05:39 PM

Im holding my breath with you man...

bill4588
May 9, 2006, 05:40 PM
Dude, no way Apple placed a personal phone call to all of its managers today telling them not to open the boxes in the nick of time.

I'm just beginning to wonder if we are starting to see boxes because we want to see boxes. Hmmm...
apple could just send an automated message to all it's stores to pause it. I'm sure they have every number on speed dial.

Stridder44
May 9, 2006, 05:42 PM
I refuse to speculate as to when the MacBook will come out or what the specs will be,

BUT

I will predict that masses of people will be very VERY disappointed with the actual product that you get for the price point.

And the sick thing is you're probably right.

weitzner
May 9, 2006, 05:42 PM
it'll get here when it gets here. if it doesn't arrive next tuesday, we'll be told that it'll be there the tuesday after that. i think it's time to just wait and not get too into the rumormill over this one.

galstaph
May 9, 2006, 05:43 PM
I think that all this waiting is making me glad I'm not in dire need (nor do i have the $$). "Next tuesday" (whenever that is) these machines will not live up to expectations and hype.

Maybe the macbook of today is vapourware :eek: and this is all a conspiracy to try to intice us to give in to the macbook pro. There is no macbook just the macbook pro.....

*sigh*
"next tuesday" where are you?

ih8pc
May 9, 2006, 05:44 PM
Oh crap!
Where the hell are those damn ships from China.
I want my MacBook. I need to prove to my friends that PC's suck & Macs are better. & that Macs can run Windows. They think apple made a virus for pc users.
If that really happened there wouldn't be any apple.

mark88
May 9, 2006, 05:46 PM
It seems Think Secret just make things up as they go along. It's not as if anyone can prove them wrong.

ImNoSuperMan
May 9, 2006, 05:47 PM
This whole 'waiting with baited breath' is lame. I love the way these rumours seem to self-perpetuate. So far we've had wishing for a MacBook with support for a 30" display (why?), dedicated graphics (unlikely), different colours (never going to happen, because of inventory problems) and the obligatory 'Apple invite' (the inventor of Photoshop spins in his grave).

Can we all take a chill-pill, this is only a computer, which will eventually come out. No one will live or die by the hand of this product. I understand this is a forum for the Mac faithful, but some people have lost all sense of reality!:confused:

Not Really. The problem is that almost every one wants a Portable Mac with intel inside. But not many people can afford a MBP. And a lot can`t stand the size either. SO it`s just that everyone`s waiting for the new iBooks aka MB which`ll be cheaper,smaller and more affordable. Everytime there`s a hint of it`s launch, all of `em just jump out thinking that finally the wait is over. To date no other computer product has been anticipated so much. One things for sure. It`ll come out sooner or later. But no one knows when. So the excitement and speculation.

Yes NO ONE WILL LIVE OR DIE BY THE HAND OF THIS MB. But the fact that most of the iBook/PowerBook G4 owners have already decided that they`ll switch to intel Portable once MB is launched. If they like MB then they`ll be going for it otherwise they`ll buy MBP. But most of them want to see first what the new MB be like. Most of us are thinking that MB might be much more value for money than MBP. And coz of all this uncertainity a lot of us are already without a laptop and want this MB to come out ASAP. No one wants to buy some other stuff fearing that MB might be released within a week and then they`ll have to regret the purchase.

inmotion
May 9, 2006, 05:49 PM
macbook, no macbook,macbook, no macbook : TS :)

ih8pc
May 9, 2006, 05:49 PM
What's inside those boxes? I think it would be the macbooks but I don't know if they are Red Hot Chili PepPers Displays. If it were that then how stupid is that it's just a band. Window displays are for the computers not RHCP THINGS

nagromme
May 9, 2006, 05:50 PM
BUT

Let me agree, with a clarification:

There will be much anonymous forum NOISE of disappointment, despite the machine offering so much more than the last one.

But despite all the wails and fury from forum-goers, the product will sell like hotcakes to rave reviews.

I hope there's SOME sub-15" model with a real GPU, whether it's a high-end MacBook or an upcoming smaller MacBook Pro.

But I think the ship has sailed on integrated graphics for the entry level. It's not suitable for 3D games, but that's OK for many entry-level buyers. Games aside, a Core machine with integrated graphics flies. AND it support Core Image.

If the entry price for a MacBook would be higher with a real GPU, then I don't see Apple doing that. Like the Mac Mini, this is the bottom model. And Core Solo prices seem to be on the high side anyway, so the MacBook entry price needs all the help it can get. In terms of Apple setting themselves apart, iSight and the Front Row remote are probably more useful--and I can see even THOSE being missing from the MacBook, at least for the bottom model.

If, as I predict, there's no sub-$1000 MacBook, that will be a shame. But temporary: Core chip prices will come down.

bryanw
May 9, 2006, 05:52 PM

This is a little different. Unless a person was really in denial about the G5 heat issues, I find it hard to believe anyone really thought they were gonna squeeze a G5 into a portable enclosure. We know the iBook/MacBook really exists. It's going to be announced once Apple feels it's ready for primetime. I suspect that will be any day now. Just sit tight, people.

mzlin
May 9, 2006, 05:53 PM
I've been a Mac user since 1986 and a stockholder since 2000, but I have to say the new Compaq v3000 with the "imprint" finish looks quite nice.

http://www.notebookreview.com/assets/11883.jpg

Full story can be found from the notebookreview main page. It's like the black PowerBook some of us had been predicting these last few years. So far it's only been wishful thinking.

Of course the Compaq comes with the infamous Compaq tech service and can't run OS X... but some PC users won't care. All I mean is that Apple can't afford to lose looks as an unique advantage. I think it's time for Apple to come out with a new design concept. The Aluminum is getting old, and I just got a dent in the corner of my 17" Powerbook that I am not too happy about.

Romanesq
May 9, 2006, 05:57 PM
The GMA950 graphics is part of the Northbridge chip - literally the same chip as the memory controller and system bus.

just adding to the torture. :p

garethh
May 9, 2006, 05:59 PM
TS are probably just making it up about next Tuesday. I think the launch will be at the store opening in NY, if Steve actually wants to go there (thinking about the rumor which said he hadn't made his mind up!).

DorianMoreganti
May 9, 2006, 06:00 PM
:p :p :p :p :cool: :cool: :cool: :D :D :D

ImNoSuperMan
May 9, 2006, 06:00 PM
All this means is that when they do go on sale...all you lovely peeps who are desperate to get your hands on one of these things (myself included) will be able to get one ordered and hopefully delivered pretty sharpish!

I'm sure if they released them today and you had delays on your orders you would be even more peeved!:p

Chill man! :cool:

I dont mind if the MB are announced today with a shipping date of even June end. That wud be much better than this NEXT TUESDAY. Atleast we`ll get to know whats in store for us. If I find out that the MB will have core solo with integrated grafix(OMG is that possible) I`ll definitely ditch it and buy a MBP the same day.

Xtremehkr
May 9, 2006, 06:04 PM

Every Tuesday?

ppnkg
May 9, 2006, 06:07 PM
Wait, wait, I think I got it...maybe this is part of apple's war against rumour sites. SO, the macbooks are really inside those boxes, and everything was ready as to look that the launch was really scheduled for today. TS fell first in the trap and is the first to receive apple's deadly blow. This plan is a long term one, and mcbooks will be released after the credibility of all rumour sites has been demolished. The mac book will not just be apple's ultimate consumer laptop, but apple's deadliest weapon against rumours. :D

Hls811
May 9, 2006, 06:08 PM

Then go buy one TODAY so the rest of us can stop waiting! :)

Macmaniac
May 9, 2006, 06:08 PM
The sad thing is, everyone of these Tuesday rumors stories gets over 300 pointless posts, same crap every week. Good thing I am not waiting.

I can't wait till it comes out with integrated graphics and the thread will be 1000 posts long with people bitching about it. I called it!

dongmin
May 9, 2006, 06:09 PM
So, what have we learned here kiddies?

1. Think secret blows. Don't believe their hype.

2. Apple will not release the MacBooks without a special event. So this 5/16 date is also bogus, in my opinion. Unless Apple sends out an invite in the next couple of days.

hoppo99
May 9, 2006, 06:10 PM

Why is that unlikely? Surely they can communciate to the stores via email? There must be a regular transferal of information between headquarters and the stores on inventory numbers etc. it would be very strange if there wasn't. The stores aren't run as isolated franchises.

Beko
May 9, 2006, 06:14 PM
He guys,

It did not happen today and..
It ain't happening next Tuesday!!
What would get more interest from public and press than releasing it on the 'Grand' opening of the flagship store in the Big Apple on 5/19?

I'm also getting pissed of waiting for this MacBook and will not visit these rumorsites till next Tuesday. Just to be sure it did not happens on 5/16! :D

macpastor
May 9, 2006, 06:18 PM
The following quote was on the ThinkSecret forum... For what it's worth.

soulja wrote on May 09, 2006 at 18:18:

I was in the SoHo store this morning and they started bringing out boxes. One of the employees opened one and brought out a black laptop with an Apple logo that appeared to be the new Macbook. Then someone shouted "cancel" to him and he boxed it back up and hurried into the stock room. I asked if I could buy one and he said "buy what?" and I said "one of those black macbooks" and he said "that was a Dell somebody brought in". Something funny is going on.

bigandy
May 9, 2006, 06:23 PM
after a hellish day, this is the biggest laugh i've had. thankyou so much, appleinsider.

:D

MattQiu
May 9, 2006, 06:25 PM
The following quote was on the ThinkSecret forum... For what it's worth.

soulja wrote on May 09, 2006 at 18:18:

I was in the SoHo store this morning and they started bringing out boxes. One of the employees opened one and brought out a black laptop with an Apple logo that appeared to be the new Macbook. Then someone shouted "cancel" to him and he boxed it back up and hurried into the stock room. I asked if I could buy one and he said "buy what?" and I said "one of those black macbooks" and he said "that was a Dell somebody brought in". Something funny is going on.

you really believe that?! i'm not ;)

whoooaaahhhh
May 9, 2006, 06:29 PM
These Macbook rumors get progressively more hilarious as this escapade goes on. It's almost like they're just trying to F with us. Good thing I'm not waiting for one, or I'd be pissed...but not surprised.

razzmatazz
May 9, 2006, 06:29 PM
you really believe that?! i'm not ;)

I hope its true!

hokullani
May 9, 2006, 06:41 PM
ISn't anyone wondering about the whole box thing that said not to open until the 9th?????

bankshot
May 9, 2006, 06:42 PM

Yup. Expectations seem to be way out of line with reality. I do believe we will get integrated graphics (much complaining), lower clock speeds than hoped (much complaining), and slightly higher prices than hoped (much complaining). We also may not get such "luxury" features as the motion sensor thing, which appears to be widely expected.

People seem to want a smaller, just slightly lower clocked MBP at a much lower price. Ain't gonna happen. This is going to be a Mac mini + keyboard/trackpad + screen. Probably with the same price hikes that the Mac mini got relative to its G4 predecessor. It will come out when it comes out, not when certain rumor sites predict every week since January. :rolleyes:

boncellis
May 9, 2006, 06:44 PM
What's interesting to me is Appleinsider's claim that the iBook replacement (MacBook) will be accompanied by a new iPod. Something like that makes intuitive sense to me, now that the kids are growing up and going to college and what not, but wouldn't something that important to Apple's sales numbers likely be announced at some kind of event?

There are two coming up relatively soon, WWDC and the Paris Expo. Until MR or any other site starts talking about invitations to a special event, I don't expect much.

MrCrowbar
May 9, 2006, 06:51 PM
Apple is just about to accomplish its goal. I am almost ready to say screw it and buy a MacBook Pro. :(

Dude, buy a Macbook Pro now so I can order my Macbook sooner. :-)

direzz
May 9, 2006, 06:52 PM
ISn't anyone wondering about the whole box thing that said not to open until the 9th?????
ISN'T ANYONE WONDERING WHY APPLE STILL HASN'T ACKNOWLEDGED THEIR 30TH BIRTHDAY?

Thataboy
May 9, 2006, 06:57 PM
Thinksecret really used to be the gold standard of Mac rumors. However, ever since the Asteroid incident, the reliability of their information has steadily declined.

It makes one wonder if they are being taken down from the inside, via fake information leaks! :)

AppleInsider has clearly taken Thinksecret's crown. I don't believe for one minute that there was a delay due to "supply issues." It never made sense for them to announce during E3, and Apple clearly has never had a problem announcing products and then having shipping delays (isn't it more important to get the pre-orders in time before all the education buyers go elsewhere?).

I suppose one could see it at the NYC store opening, but where is everyone going to congregate? In the cube? In whatever theatre/studio they have downstairs?

iChill
May 9, 2006, 07:02 PM
give me the macbook by then end of the month. thats all i ask.

boncellis
May 9, 2006, 07:10 PM
...I suppose one could see it at the NYC store opening, but where is everyone going to congregate? In the cube? In whatever theatre/studio they have downstairs?

You might be right. Do they have a theatre there? Some media will already be there so it's a pretty good possibility.

mozart
May 9, 2006, 07:20 PM

right!

and when next tuesday comes and the macbook's not here they'll say: "Oh did we say this Tuesday? we meant Tuesday next month!"

monke
May 9, 2006, 07:30 PM
If you go to the store on apple's website, click any product, let the page load and then change the product name to 'MacBook' it comes up with a different page, normally it would send you back to the store page.
(The best way to do this is to click the MacBookPro and delete the pro)

In case in changes, I took a screenshot for ya.

bill4588
May 9, 2006, 07:35 PM
If you go to the store on apple's website, click any product, let the page load and then change the product name to 'MacBook' it comes up with a different page, normally it would send you back to the store page.

no its nothing ppl....u can put in "kitten" or "california" and you still get the same page.

MrCrowbar
May 9, 2006, 07:36 PM

I always get the "page not found" when I go on http://www.apple.com/macbook/ ...

peharri
May 9, 2006, 07:38 PM
Ok, here's what's really happened.

The issue is heat and power. Apple has spent the last year or two trying to get an Intel Core Duo to run cool enough in the confined spaces within the new iBook/Macbook case. And it's just not working. Intel have promised they're going to produce more power efficient Core Duos, but so far they're having trouble doing this.

So, they're looking at a number of options. And here's the deal: the most probable outcome is that at this coming WWDC, Steve Jobs will stand up, and tell the faithful that with immediate effect, the entire Mac line is going to transition to ARM.

This may seem drastic, but it'll ensure the next generation of Macs can be smaller than ever before.

But this isn't the end of the matter. New ARM based Macbooks will be ready in time for MacWorld in January. However, while powerful for Macbooks, Apple is going to have difficulty getting chips that are both powerful and power-efficient for the next line of StrongARMMacs. So, in WWDC 2007, Jobs has been preparing for a major, shocking, announcement: The entire Mac line is going to transition to SPARC.

This may seem even more drastic, but it'll ensure the generation of Macs after the next generation will be smaller, and more powerful, than ever before.

Except. Except that, while some excellent SparcMacs will be released in MacWorld January 2008, this will not be enough. So, even as we speak, Jobs is preparing his speech for WWDC 2008. And it's a major one. He'll be announcing a complete transition from SPARC, to 6502 based CPUs.

Now, I know what you're thinking. 6502s are 8 bit right? And they're capped at 2MHz? Well, there's the 65816, the engine behind the Apple II GS which should tell you differently. But there's more. Since the Apple II GS was discontinued, a band of engineers has, in total secret, working with the same guys who ported Mac OS X to Intel, come up with a 64 bit version of the 6502, that runs at 8GHz, and is capable of 8 giga-MIP performance. Per core. And we're not talking about a single core design either. Nor a dual core. Nor a four core. This baby, the 65864256, has two hundred and fifty six cores. Yet it barely sucks a microwatt at peak usage.

The first 65864256 based laptops will come out at MacWorld 2009.

To be followed by a startling announcement at WWDC 2009.

MrCrowbar
May 9, 2006, 07:45 PM
[...]
The first 65864256 based laptops will come out at MacWorld 2009.

To be followed by a startling announcement at WWDC 2009.

ARM processors are really nice for ultra portable devices though. I want an iChat AV watch to impress people in airplanes. :-)

Play Ultimate
May 9, 2006, 07:47 PM
The votes say it all:

6 votes "Positive"

23 votes "Negative"

71 votes "Wolf!!!!"

My thoughts exactly. Too many times of them saying, "The MacBooks are coming" that it is getting a little frustrating. All we really know is that eventually the MacBooks will come...however I still haven't seen the predicted G5 PowerBook...maybe they're discontinuing the MacBook line and haven't told anybody yet. :eek:

Oh well, waiting for the fever to begin again for next weeks disappointment.

Fortunately I'm not planning on buying another computer until OS10.5 is released. (Maybe by then DSL/Cable/Wi-Fi Max will be available in my area...I'm tired of hanging out in coffee shops.)

MacSA
May 9, 2006, 07:48 PM
Why on earth would Apple only realise that "at the last minute" they dont have enough MacBooks to ship immediately? Surely they would have had data on MacBook production numbers days ago. And what kind of shipping delay are we talking about? If it's 7 days or less people would probably have got them or had them shipped before the next supposed launch date, another 7 days away.

monke
May 9, 2006, 07:49 PM
I always get the "page not found" when I go on http://www.apple.com/macbook/ ...

Go to the store first, click a product, find it's name in the address bar and change it to MacBook.

no its nothing ppl....u can put in "kitten" or "california" and you still get the same page. ...

Realized it right after I posted.

ihayden
May 9, 2006, 07:50 PM

It also does the same if you type in "Blah" or "Thisrumorisgettingannoying"

Goliath
May 9, 2006, 07:52 PM
The new Apple "Flagship" store in NY is slated to open next week.

My guess is that the MacBook is being delayed to coincide with the "Grand Opening" of that store.

You can guarantee that Steve Jobs WILL definately be there for the "Grand Opening" of Apple's flagship retail outlet- and what better publicity than to announce the new MacBook with immediate availability.

I may be wrong- but that's what I would do!

The Dweeby Nerd
May 9, 2006, 07:52 PM
After high expectations of an iBook revision today, ThinkSecret claims (http://www.thinksecret.com/news/050609macbook.html) that the MacBook release was postponed due to low inventory of the unreleased MacBook.

...just a pathetic attempt from Think Secret to justify the fact that their prediction turned out to be crap. I don't believe that site anymore.

NYmacAttack
May 9, 2006, 07:53 PM
It also does the same if you type in "Blah" or "Thisrumorisgettingannoying"

yup you can type anything you will get the same page. Apple is very good at making sure they don't let anything slip up.

ihayden
May 9, 2006, 07:55 PM
yup you can type anything you will get the same page. Apple is very good at making sure they don't let anything slip up.

Well they can't be too good coz there have been a lot of slip ups in the past.

Stridder44
May 9, 2006, 07:58 PM
Well they can't be too good coz there have been a lot of slip ups in the past.

I rest my case.

MacTablet
May 9, 2006, 08:00 PM
It's groundhog day !
http://www.mvps.org/st-software/Movie_Collection/images/2415f.jpg

jMini
May 9, 2006, 08:07 PM
I think that this website needs to reinforce the fact that it is a rumor (rumour...uk) site in some way. does my head in when people have a go at "rumors" that arent right. THEY ARE RUMORS...

from wikipedia...

A rumor or rumour (see spelling differences) is a piece of purportedly true information that circulates without substantiating evidence.

Classically, rumors spread form person to person by word of mouth, as in gossip....

also...calm down!

i cant wait till the new macbooks/ibooks arrive. not looking for one at the moment anyway. look forward to seeing a black style one and also leopard. the futures bright...my nanos broken though :confused:

edit: im not talking about people that question the reliability of rumor sources but the people who get mad because they take these rumors as gospel

macpastor
May 9, 2006, 08:37 PM

My friend manages the Apple Store in the Twin Cities and he told me they never got anything that said to not open until the 9th... He figured it was another wild rumor. He shoots straight up with me and hasn't been wrong yet about things.

He also added that typically before there is a release of a new product they send a product number. There is nothing assigned to it, but it shows up in the system. When the new product is released, then the new product number is attached to it.

Bottom line? No new product numbers in their system as of yet. So it doesn't surprise me at all they didn't come today.

Counter
May 9, 2006, 08:38 PM
I hope they release them on a Wednesday.

cherfizzle
May 9, 2006, 08:43 PM
That stinks!
I want to see what the specs are going to be for that thing!
Cant wait til Tuesday i guess!

runninmac
May 9, 2006, 08:47 PM
No! Not next Tuesday! Im going to be out in the middle of no where being a camp counsler to 6th graders! :( And to top it off all my senior friends are graduating that day. Oh how the world will go on without me :(

3Gsales.com.au
May 9, 2006, 08:47 PM
Could this be the macbook?
http://images.apple.com/retail/procare/images/card.gif

... without the word procare

Pistol Pete
May 9, 2006, 08:52 PM

new promo stuff probably....

Butler Trumpet
May 9, 2006, 08:52 PM

Thats exactly what I was thinking

iamhammill
May 9, 2006, 08:53 PM
And inside that a scrambled hand-written version of the Fibonacci sequence, plus an obscure reference to Madonna of the Rocks. :)

Did anyone else laugh as much as I did to this one?

bluedevil14
May 9, 2006, 08:59 PM

um... no. That might be the MBP/PB or... it could just be a silver background with a white apple for the Procare logo. ive seen that pictures on apple's website before the macbooks were being rumored (so basicly its been there since 1402)

ihayden
May 9, 2006, 09:03 PM
*Sigh* Need.....MacBook.....Soon!:eek:

NYmacAttack
May 9, 2006, 09:04 PM

one word. Nope

ihayden
May 9, 2006, 09:07 PM
one word. Nope

Ya now that is just going to far. No way

chuckles:)
May 9, 2006, 09:07 PM
One more week... one more week........ one more week........................ one more week.....

nagromme
May 9, 2006, 09:10 PM
Hmmm.....

http://mammals.org/pr

Add that plus the Chinese characters (This Way) and a very clear picture emerges. This completely explains why the MacBook release was originally slated for the same day as the Chili Peppers iTunes promo. And if Mammals is still not out of testing (or whatever Schiller is referring to) then obviously the MacBooks would no longer make sense on a day with an iPod/iTunes promo of any kind. It's all about inventory, but at least now we have an idea what we're waiting for.

What would get more interest from public and press than releasing it on the 'Grand' opening of the flagship store in the Big Apple on 5/19?
Just to stir the pot... having TWO events on TWO days (MacBook release, and the local NYC thing) gets more press attention than just one event.

Gnorn
May 9, 2006, 09:10 PM
One more week... one more week........ one more week........................ one more week.....

That would add up to what... ? Four weeks?? :)

ImAlwaysRight
May 9, 2006, 09:13 PM
After high expectations of an iBook revision today, ThinkSecret claims (http://www.thinksecret.com/news/050609macbook.html) that the MacBook release was postponed due to low inventory of the unreleased MacBook. The next date being targeted is May 16th, 2006. (aka "Next Tuesday").
:rolleyes: Sad, sad, sad. Backing up a rumor with a rumor -- about the only good in that is -- at least they're creative. But it doesn't change the fact TS was WRONG for yet another time.

For comparison, AI never gave a date. AI was even bold enough to post yesterday afternoon that the MacBook was not coming out today.

AI has TRUE sources. TS must have make believe ones and/or a dartboard.

I ain't believing any dates unless they come from AI.

celebrian23
May 9, 2006, 09:15 PM
These rumors are just getting ridiculous! I mean I know they're just rumours, but it's getting a bit old :mad:

Gnorn
May 9, 2006, 09:16 PM
:rolleyes: Sad, sad, sad. Backing up a rumor with a rumor -- about the only good in that is -- at least they're creative. But it doesn't change the fact TS was WRONG for yet another time.

For comparison, AI never gave a date. AI was even bold enough to post yesterday afternoon that the MacBook was not coming out today.

AI has TRUE sources. TS must have make believe ones and/or a dartboard.

I ain't believing any dates unless they come from AI.

What if Apple is passing different information to different employees? (You know, just like with criminal organizations like the Mob and the CIA). That way, if somebody leaks, you know who leaked. How's that for a conspiracy theory??

ihayden
May 9, 2006, 09:18 PM
These rumors are just getting ridiculous! I mean I know they're just rumours, but it's getting a bit old :mad:

Then stop reading this thread :D

manjaap
May 9, 2006, 09:18 PM
1. Think Secret is full of BS.
2. Apple is hurting themselves by not releasing the macbook during edu season
3.Steve Jobs is not stupid enough do let edu season just pass by

celebrian23
May 9, 2006, 09:21 PM
Well as I'm not getting a macbook, I truthfully don't care all that much lol :p

ihayden
May 9, 2006, 09:21 PM
1. Think Secret is full of BS.
2. Apple is hurting themselves by not releasing the macbook during edu season
3.Steve Jobs is not stupid enough do let edu season just pass by

Yup that is all we have so far. Amazing

SuperSnake2012
May 9, 2006, 09:29 PM
Someone needs to tell ThinkSecret to stop playing with my emotions. :(

Nar1117
May 9, 2006, 09:53 PM
Ok lets break it down.

Macbooks soon.

May probably.

Stridder44
May 9, 2006, 10:05 PM
Screw production. Since when has Apple been good at keeping up with demand. Hell, when has any popular product ever kept up with demand. Just release them already! No one cares if you can't ship them yet...just reveal them!!

AvSRoCkCO1067
May 9, 2006, 10:14 PM
Ok lets break it down.

Macbooks soon.

May probably.

or maybe June. Or maybe July. Next Year. Maybe.

or maybe they'll just upgrade the G4 processors in iBooks. Maybe. :confused:

unemployed
May 9, 2006, 10:14 PM
I am I missing something. . What is mammals?

Hmmm.....

http://mammals.org/pr

Add that plus the Chinese characters (This Way) and a very clear picture emerges. This completely explains why the MacBook release was originally slated for the same day as the Chili Peppers iTunes promo. And if Mammals is still not out of testing (or whatever Schiller is referring to) then obviously the MacBooks would no longer make sense on a day with an iPod/iTunes promo of any kind. It's all about inventory, but at least now we have an idea what we're waiting for.

Just to stir the pot... having TWO events on TWO days (MacBook release, and the local NYC thing) gets more press attention than just one event.

ihayden
May 9, 2006, 10:16 PM
Yeah i was wondering the same thing. The link is apple.com just with a different URL.....??? someone care to explain:confused:

arn
May 9, 2006, 10:17 PM
Yeah i was wondering the same thing. The link is apple.com just with a different URL.....??? someone care to explain:confused:

(guides are down at the moment)

google cache:
http://72.14.207.104/search?q=cache:UxeQwg-G71gJ:guides.macrumors.com/Apple_Domain_Names+apple+domain+names&hl=en&lr=&strip=1

arn

AvSRoCkCO1067
May 9, 2006, 10:18 PM

Apple owns the url. You know, just in case they want to come out with a product called 'mammals.'

...I guess :p :D

ghostlife
May 9, 2006, 10:38 PM

Many readers may be disappointed in the lack of release, but Appleinsider also (http://www.macrumors.com/pages/2006/05/20060508164940.shtml) reiterates an imminent release within the next few weeks.

Meanwhile, the "MacBook" slip-up (http://guides.macrumors.com/Image:ipodMacBook.jpg) on Apple's site also feeds speculation that the MacBook will be arriving shortly. Apple's last web mishap (iWeb) (http://www.macrumors.com/pages/2006/01/20060105114200.shtml) predated the iWeb announcement by 5 days.

maybe this is why there was a delay, to not share spotlight with HP on same day?

http://tinyurl.com/fkbzq

yes this is my first post but i read the boards alot

ihayden
May 9, 2006, 10:44 PM
maybe this is why there was a delay, to not share spotlight with HP on same day?

http://tinyurl.com/fkbzq

yes this is my first post but i read the boards alot

Yeah maybe...

Ah once again HP release another ugly piece of tech

Hunabku
May 9, 2006, 11:12 PM
In regards to:

Meanwhile, the "MacBook" slip-up on Apple's site also feeds speculation that the MacBook will be arriving shortly. Apple's last web mishap (iWeb) predated the iWeb announcement by 5 days.

Well i don't know if anyone has made mention of this - but how is it that apple so often makes these slip ups on their web sites. Surely with apple's fanatasizm for keeping secrets they would get a handle on this. I wonder how many heads role everytime some one "slips up" or I wonder how often it is intentional?

:o

yg17
May 9, 2006, 11:19 PM
After high expectations of an iBook revision today, ThinkSecret claims that the MacBook release was postponed due to low inventory of the unreleased MacBook. The next date being targeted is May 16th, 2006. (aka "Next Tuesday").

Since when has low invetory stopped Apple from releasing a product?

ihayden
May 9, 2006, 11:25 PM
Since when has low invetory stopped Apple from releasing a product?

Thats why TS is BSing:D

nickms777
May 9, 2006, 11:32 PM
It may not prove anything but, I went to an apple store today to buy a Macbook Pro and one of the sales people tried to convince me to buy a G4 ibook instead. I was very suprised at how insistant he was. Could I have been the victim of an effort to "clear the product chanel"? He kept arguing with me for almost 20 minutes. The last clerk didn't seem to care when I went to buy one in March.

ihayden
May 9, 2006, 11:35 PM
It may not prove anything but, I went to an apple store today to buy a Macbook Pro and one of the sales people tried to convince me to buy a G4 ibook instead. I was very suprised at how insistant he was. Could I have been the victim of an effort to "clear the product chanel"? He kept arguing with me for almost 20 minutes. The last clerk didn't seem to care when I went to buy one in March.

That is interesting but might not mean much. 20 mins is a long time to push a lower priced model on someone though???

dekator
May 9, 2006, 11:50 PM

Aha ? That means, you're working on it but it never progresses ?
Other than that... waiting for something 2-3 weeks longer really has nothing to do with Sisyphus. Mmmmhhh... let me see, what was that Greek guy called who constantly felt sorry for himself... mmmhhh

dekator
May 10, 2006, 12:01 AM
Why on earth would Apple only realise that "at the last minute" they dont have enough MacBooks to ship immediately? Surely they would have had data on MacBook production numbers days ago. And what kind of shipping delay are we talking about? If it's 7 days or less people would probably have got them or had them shipped before the next supposed launch date, another 7 days away.

Exactly. That's why the 'rumours' were just a heap of bovine excrement. Let's face it... Apple suddenly seems to keep releases rather secret again. No telling what exactly they're up to. Once they're happy with design and numbers, the new iBooks will come out. There's really no compelling reason, I think, to assume there were any unforeseen delays. (Unless 'unforeseen' refers to rumour sites).

drb6
May 10, 2006, 12:18 AM

Regardless of whether the Macbooks are coming out in 1 week or 2 weeks, Apple still has to get rid of the ibooks. So its expected that they would be pushing ibook sales. I don't think this means that we'll be getting MBs next week though, it will be soon but not necessarily next tuesday.

However, we can-if you want-go into an extended discussion about whether the amount of time he argued with you means 1 week as opposed to 2 weeks. Any takers?

IMO we'll be seeing an invite by the end of this week or early next week for an event on the 23rd or 24th, after those coupons expire.

MrCrowbar
May 10, 2006, 12:25 AM

That suggests your clerk knows about something. Squeeze him out! :D
Really strange indeed, usually shops tend to ppush you for the more expensive product because their margin is higher. Except of cours they want to get rid of old stock. Maybe the employees get some bonus for selling iBooks? I mena, there's no reasonable reason to buy one now at that price.

Tro to sneak into their warehouse and check for/open on of those black boxes. ;)

alexf
May 10, 2006, 12:43 AM
Here we go again... Next Monday night will look like a virtual repeat of last night here at MacRumors.

In any case, I don't trust Think Secret anymore and - like many other posters - find it very hard to believe that a product of this significance will be released without a lot of fanfare à la Apple. Therefore I put in my vote for Friday the 19th, as this way Steve could use the publicity from the opening of the Apple store in Manhattan to introduce the MacBook.

Oh, and too bad it looks like they will only be offered in black and white, instead of other more exciting colors; Apple seems to be getting more conservative as it gets older (sadly, this seems to happen with people too).

houttbe
May 10, 2006, 12:52 AM
I have an Apple coupon that expires on May 21. In my experience that means that they don't expect to announce any significant new product before that date.

Philberttheduck
May 10, 2006, 01:01 AM
I guess removing my ThinkSecret from my bookmark tabs wasn't such a foolish decision. The place has been going through an 0-fer for awhile, dating back to the first intel switch (iBook =/= intel yet)despite holding onto the ibook deal during the mini's.

Does me good to say ThinkSecret has lost it..:p

jacobj
May 10, 2006, 01:20 AM

I am fully expecting this to be the case. I have bought and MBP but am excited about this because I have a few friends and my parents waiting to but the MacBook. In truth even with integrated GPU this machine is likely to more than meet their needs; all of them.

People expecting a cheap MBP are more than likely going to be disappointed. People expecting a robust, relitavely powerful machine that can be used to manage your digital lifestyle without crunching through video and photo editing at an incredible rate, will be happy.

nagromme
May 10, 2006, 01:39 AM

I assume it's something Apple registered related to Darwin and evolution... probably with the implication that other products are dinosaurs. No such campaign materialized, but hey, if all the mammals ever get together and want a domain, Apple can sell it to them! Don't forget that among vertebrates, mammals perform a disproportionately large share of Internet usage and online shopping. A lucrative segment of the animal kingdom, for sure.

netdog
May 10, 2006, 01:41 AM
Here we go again... Next Monday night will look like a virtual repeat of last night here at MacRumors.

Yes, but now we have almost a week to turn this thread into the biggest one on the topic yet. Are we up to it men?

Multimedia
May 10, 2006, 01:42 AM
Since when has low invetory stopped Apple from releasing a product?I'm sure Apple doesn't want to disappoint us more than they already have by not having enough on hand to sell at least for a few hours to begin with. Wouldn't You Rather Be Able To Buy One Right Away? :rolleyes:

syriana
May 10, 2006, 02:21 AM
This is going to be a Mac mini + keyboard/trackpad + screen. Probably with the same price hikes that the Mac mini got relative to its G4 predecessor. It will come out when it comes out, not when certain rumor sites predict every week since January. :rolleyes:
But if it's a mac mini w/ screen etc.. why would it took Apple so long? Just for the plaisure of loosing sales?

twilson
May 10, 2006, 02:26 AM
You say "MacBook Delays", but nobody from Apple officially made any announcement did they.

So maybe the headline should actually read "Source Incorrect/Lied".

I'm sorry, but using the word delay somehow implies that Apple themselves are at fault for "slipping" on their original promised delivery date.

As this wasn't the case, this story is just more guesswork and conjecture, built upon past guesswork and conjecture. Basically, utter tripe!

Further compounding crap like this on top of past incorrect information and promises (which you [rumor sites] are not in any position to keep) tends to only hurt Apple's share price. Which is a shame.

Marvy
May 10, 2006, 02:28 AM
I really don't understand what all the anger is about? This is a RUMOR site: We heard a few rumors, which proved to be wrong. Big deal. It was fun. We got hyped up. We learned a little bit more about the credibility of TS.

Don't be kidding yourself people. I've read these hate posts against TS, but I have a little feeling that many of you are more angry at Apple for not releasing a MacBook by now. So far however, Apple is ahead of schedule and doing a fine job with the transition, in my opinion.

I'm also waiting for the new MacBooks. And yes: Too bad it wasn't today. But, please, calm down, and let TS be. If you doubt there credibility, there's a simple thing to do: Ignore them.

Cheers!

kugino
May 10, 2006, 02:33 AM
I am fully expecting this to be the case. I have bought and MBP but am excited about this because I have a few friends and my parents waiting to but the MacBook. In truth even with integrated GPU this machine is likely to more than meet their needs; all of them.

People expecting a cheap MBP are more than likely going to be disappointed. People expecting a robust, relitavely powerful machine that can be used to manage your digital lifestyle without crunching through video and photo editing at an incredible rate, will be happy.
i agree. i think the MB will disappoint those who want a 12" MBP with dedicated graphics, IF this is even in the works.

i will be fine with integrated graphics since it will be an upgrade from my current ibook and i don't play games anyway...i'm sure some will be disappointed, but not everyone's going to be happy...c'est la vie

retroz311
May 10, 2006, 02:34 AM
But if it's a mac mini w/ screen etc.. why would it took Apple so long? Just for the plaisure of loosing sales?

Noob here, need some help!

Will the new macbook or mini for that matter run Final Cut/GarageBand, etc?

I know a friend with a G4 laptop 1.67, uses dedicated GPU, runs slower than my AMD 64 @ 2.7, dual channel when running Nuendo/SX, but am looking to learn more ProTools/Final Cut stuff. I suppose I could buy a tower or iMAC but want to get my feet wet first with MAC OS X. Old 9.x user, haven't used OSX really, more so due to Gigastudio being a PC only Application.

Help is appreciated!

I know dedicated GPU is a no-no for gaming, as well, PCIexpress GPU cards prooved to be problematic for audio (poping glitching, etc as they hogged the PCI bus more than the older AGP cards did), so, back to original question, regardless of PPC or INTEL Single/Dual core, will mini or new ibook, errr, macbook run the Garageband and Final Cut studios?

Thanks!

^squirrel^
May 10, 2006, 02:43 AM
Hi,

Does anyone know (if true) what was in the shipment that said "DO NOT OPEN UNTIL TUESDAY THE 9th"?????

(L)
May 10, 2006, 03:05 AM
Noob here, need some help!

Will the new macbook or mini for that matter run Final Cut/GarageBand, etc?

I know a friend with a G4 laptop 1.67, uses dedicated GPU, runs slower than my AMD 64 @ 2.7, dual channel when running Nuendo/SX, but am looking to learn more ProTools/Final Cut stuff. I suppose I could buy a tower or iMAC but want to get my feet wet first with MAC OS X. Old 9.x user, haven't used OSX really, more so due to Gigastudio being a PC only Application.

Help is appreciated!

I know dedicated GPU is a no-no for gaming, as well, PCIexpress GPU cards prooved to be problematic for audio (poping glitching, etc as they hogged the PCI bus more than the older AGP cards did), so, back to original question, regardless of PPC or INTEL Single/Dual core, will mini or new ibook, errr, macbook run the Garageband and Final Cut studios?

Thanks!

I'm not so sure about FCS running extremely well on low-end models. The Mini and the iBook (or soon, MacBook) are the low end of Apple, and as such, they're not really designed to run very intensive stuff. GarageBand should be fine, I'd think - anyway, here's the reqs for FCS:

Requirements

Macintosh computer with 867MHz or faster PowerPC G4, PowerPC G5, or Intel Core Duo processor; HD features require 1GHz or faster single or dual processors (authoring HD DVDs requires a PowerPC G5 or Intel Core Duo processor)
512MB of RAM; HD features require 1GB of RAM or more (2GB recommended)
Display with 1024-by-768 or higher resolution
AGP or PCI-E Quartz Extreme graphics card
Motion requires the standard graphics card found in any MacBook Pro, iMac Intel Core Duo, Power Mac G5, iMac G5, a 1.25 GHz or faster PowerBook G4, or a 1.25 GHz or faster flat-panel iMac. See a complete list of supported graphics cards
Mac OS X 10.4.4 or later
QuickTime 7.0.4 or later
4GB of disk space required to install all applications
Additional 42GB required to install all optional templates, loops, content, and tutorials (may be installed on separate disks)
DVD drive for installation
Playback of DVD Studio Pro 4-authored HD DVDs requires a PowerPC G5 or Intel Core Duo processor
Replication of DVD Studio Pro 4-authored DVDs requires a DLT drive

My best answer is to wait and see just how fast the MacBook will be, and then consider if it makes more sense to get an iMac or MacBook Pro in the case that the MacBook looks weak. It is quite possible, however, that the MacBook will be able to run FCS, though not incredibly quickly. Seems like Core Duo of 1.83 or higher would be optimal, if that's an option...then your RAM, etc., should be maxed.

By the way, it's "Mac," not "MAC," not being an acronym but an abbreviation.

EDIT: From the reqs, looks like Mac mini won't run Motion, at least. Best played safe and wait till the MacBook comes out and see if FCS's site is updated and shows the MB supporting it.

Cedd
May 10, 2006, 03:25 AM
I feel like I have been living from Tuesday to Tuesday since January - enough!

I hereby resolve not to spend any more time angsting about when the Macbook is coming out - when it arrives it arrives and I can do nothing to influence that date. As they say , the watched pot never boils - however it boils over the moment you take your eyes off it...;)

caspartheghost
May 10, 2006, 03:26 AM
It's the E3 game show in LA this week (opens today), and a large proportion of the world's tech journalists will just not be that interested in a new Mac laptop - no matter how much we might wish otherwise.

For instance, just Sony announced the PS3 final specs, release date and - most critically - the price points (20GB model $499, 60GB $599, if you're interested). Yesterday Nintendo showed its new Wii system off, and Microsoft had an Xbox 360 conference. If I was Apple I would definitely not launch a new consumer electronics product this week.

(Yeah, I work in the games industry...)

But dammit I really want a new iBook/ MacBook - my old white iBook G3 800 is feeling really, really old these days!!

Cheers,
Cas

Bobjob186
May 10, 2006, 03:34 AM
It seems like all the rumor sites have lost their sources for getting info. It seems like apple has done their job on keeping things locked up. Now all rumor sites just pull numbers and dates out of their booties and hope they are right and when they finally are we believe that they new it the whole time. Remember the full-video ipod what happened there, and the G5 powerbook that didn't even come, jeez-louise. And to think I used to think that TS had the best info. I guess its good though because these cites bring us together and we become a large family of mac lovers.
Good Night

sunfast
May 10, 2006, 03:46 AM
The cycle begins anew.

I'm pretty new to Macs but has a product ever been as eagerly awaited with as much hype and desperation as these MacBooks?

jdiddy
May 10, 2006, 03:51 AM
God I'm dying here. I'm stuck on my windows system. I sold my Rev C. 12" for an offer I could'nt refuse, more then I bought it for. Now comes 6 days back solely in the Windows world. Hopefully its only 6 days.

yoak
May 10, 2006, 04:12 AM
The cycle begins anew.

I'm pretty new to Macs but has a product ever been as eagerly awaited with as much hype and desperation as these MacBooks?

The never realeased Powerbook G5, and most every other product:D

iJaz
May 10, 2006, 04:44 AM
The cycle begins anew.

About every other Mac update or introduction, and the same is almost true for the iPods... ;)

kresh
May 10, 2006, 05:19 AM
I suspect that since the thermal paste issue with the MBP, they have stopped production and are reworking the already built machines.

I would guess that someone at Apple realized they were using less than 1 qt of thermal paste per machine. To rectify this they have stopped production. They have to take each machine apart and apply more paste.

The good news is they found a high speed grease pump that puts out 16 gallons per minute. Shouldn't be long now.

MrCrowbar
May 10, 2006, 05:37 AM
I assume it's something Apple registered related to Darwin and evolution... probably with the implication that other products are dinosaurs. No such campaign materialized, but hey, if all the mammals ever get together and want a domain, Apple can sell it to them! Don't forget that among vertebrates, mammals perform a disproportionately large share of Internet usage and online shopping. A lucrative segment of the animal kingdom, for sure.

LOL. :p
I wonder if they also have bacteria and stuff. :rolleyes:
Maybe someday we will have other kinds of apples (Macintosh was a specific apple that does not exist anymore) like the "Apple Granny Smith" or something. :cool:

Macnoviz
May 10, 2006, 05:45 AM
Why don't we just keep a news message on permanently that says:
NEW MACBOOKS NEXT THUESDAY !!

mavherzog
May 10, 2006, 05:55 AM
God I'm dying here. I'm stuck on my windows system. I sold my Rev C. 12" for an offer I could'nt refuse, more then I bought it for. Now comes 6 days back solely in the Windows world. Hopefully its only 6 days.
Throw linux on that notebook and at least get by with a sane OS until you get your new MacBook. . .

Stratman
May 10, 2006, 05:58 AM
Once Apple announces a product, how long is it before that product is generally available? Are some quantities of the product in the stores at the time of the announcement?

Gnorn
May 10, 2006, 06:44 AM
Why do I get Toshiba notebooks ads on the mainpage of a (this) Mac site :confused:

If I'd be interrested in a peecee notebook, I'd go to CrapputerRumors.com

[/OT]

dinic
May 10, 2006, 06:56 AM
Nah, sources have told me that they will release the MacBook bundled with Duke Nukem Forever at E3.

Machead III
May 10, 2006, 07:12 AM
I just checked my balance. £660. Just about enough for a MacBook with edu discount. Hurry up Apple.

... and no ****** integrated gfx.

7on
May 10, 2006, 07:13 AM
I'm not so sure about FCS running extremely well on low-end models. The Mini and the iBook (or soon, MacBook) are the low end of Apple, and as such, they're not really designed to run very intensive stuff. GarageBand should be fine, I'd think - anyway, here's the reqs for FCS:

Requirements

Macintosh computer with 867MHz or faster PowerPC G4, PowerPC G5, or Intel Core Duo processor; HD features require 1GHz or faster single or dual processors (authoring HD DVDs requires a PowerPC G5 or Intel Core Duo processor)
512MB of RAM; HD features require 1GB of RAM or more (2GB recommended)
Display with 1024-by-768 or higher resolution
AGP or PCI-E Quartz Extreme graphics card
Motion requires the standard graphics card found in any MacBook Pro, iMac Intel Core Duo, Power Mac G5, iMac G5, a 1.25 GHz or faster PowerBook G4, or a 1.25 GHz or faster flat-panel iMac. See a complete list of supported graphics cards
Mac OS X 10.4.4 or later
QuickTime 7.0.4 or later
4GB of disk space required to install all applications
Additional 42GB required to install all optional templates, loops, content, and tutorials (may be installed on separate disks)
DVD drive for installation
Playback of DVD Studio Pro 4-authored HD DVDs requires a PowerPC G5 or Intel Core Duo processor
Replication of DVD Studio Pro 4-authored DVDs requires a DLT drive

My best answer is to wait and see just how fast the MacBook will be, and then consider if it makes more sense to get an iMac or MacBook Pro in the case that the MacBook looks weak. It is quite possible, however, that the MacBook will be able to run FCS, though not incredibly quickly. Seems like Core Duo of 1.83 or higher would be optimal, if that's an option...then your RAM, etc., should be maxed.

By the way, it's "Mac," not "MAC," not being an acronym but an abbreviation.

EDIT: From the reqs, looks like Mac mini won't run Motion, at least. Best played safe and wait till the MacBook comes out and see if FCS's site is updated and shows the MB supporting it.

What are you talking about? My 1Ghz G4 plays all that fine (hmm, except for Motion - but when that was released the min was 1Ghz...) The Mac Mini would have no problem with any of those apps. Future apps defintely, but any of Apple's current lineup runs their current software regardless of being a "pro" or "consumer" machine. Just because you get a "consumer" model doesn't automatically mean all pro software ceases to function.

matznentosh
May 10, 2006, 07:14 AM
I suspect that since the thermal paste issue with the MBP, they have stopped production and are reworking the already built machines.

I would guess that someone at Apple realized they were using less than 1 qt of thermal paste per machine. To rectify this they have stopped production. They have to take each machine apart and apply more paste.

The good news is they found a high speed grease pump that puts out 16 gallons per minute. Shouldn't be long now.

Actually, as I understand it they were putting too much paste on. It needs a very thin film to transmit heat most efficiently and I believe they were just slathering it on like whipped cream.

Elrond39
May 10, 2006, 07:32 AM
Actually, as I understand it they were putting too much paste on. It needs a very thin film to transmit heat most efficiently and I believe they were just slathering it on like whipped cream.
I think kresh was being sarcastic... or at least, it would make a good joke if he was :D

matznentosh
May 10, 2006, 07:35 AM
I think kresh was being sarcastic... or at least, it would make a good joke if he was :D

Yeh, you're right. Guess my abstract reasoning is still in sleep mode.:o

iPC
May 10, 2006, 07:36 AM
Amen! But I am not counting on anything... :o

Play Ultimate
May 10, 2006, 07:36 AM

Exactly. Too much and the paste acts like an heat insulator rather than a heat conductor. :eek:

KindredMAC
May 10, 2006, 07:43 AM
what the **** is price chopper? I never heard of a grocery store selling computers...

Woooooooow.......
It's going to be alright... it really is.
Ummm.... can we get some medical help over here for PrinceAlfie?
Umm hello???? Umm We need some help for Alfie STAT!
People are starting to take everything in these posts wayyyyy too seriously now....... :rolleyes:

Cooknn
May 10, 2006, 07:45 AM
i will be fine with integrated graphics since it will be an upgrade from my current ibook and i don't play games anyway...i'm sure some will be disappointed, but not everyone's going to be happy...c'est la vieI am fully expecting integrated graphics. So be it. My forthcoming MacBook is only going to be for when I'm on the run anyways. I have my Power Mac for when I want to do serious computing. I never did buy into the web on a phone deal, and PDA's are still too small for my liking. My other issue is that I want OS X on whatever I take with me - so I wait for the MacBook :cool:

gloss
May 10, 2006, 07:51 AM
(Macintosh was a specific apple that does not exist anymore)

It seems they've been growing them in secret. My local Safeway offers 3 for $1.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/McIntosh

Macnoviz
May 10, 2006, 07:55 AM
Once Apple announces a product, how long is it before that product is generally available? Are some quantities of the product in the stores at the time of the announcement?

If Thinksecret is correct (which I highly doubt), they should be shipping immediatly or maybe with a week delay, since they wait to have a large quantity (if they announce the product a month before the actual shipping, this wouldn't really make sense, I guess)

liketom
May 10, 2006, 08:04 AM
If Thinksecret is correct (which I highly doubt), they should be shipping immediatly or maybe with a week delay, since they wait to have a large quantity (if they announce the product a month before the actual shipping, this wouldn't really make sense, I guess)
but if they announce now they can take pre-orders and make more money this quarter

by delaying and not doing anything they will drive business elsewhere (education market to dells)

don't care if not shipping now -ANNOUNCE it now

Leesure
May 10, 2006, 08:05 AM
Aha ? That means, you're working on it but it never progresses ?
Other than that... waiting for something 2-3 weeks longer really has nothing to do with Sisyphus. Mmmmhhh... let me see, what was that Greek guy called who constantly felt sorry for himself... mmmhhh

No, it's that each time we think we've reached the top of the rumour hill with that rock, it simply rolls back to the bottom and we start over...each time taking a week or 2.

"Sorry for himself" Not I...While I would like an Intel laptop, my 12" PBG4 is doing all I need it to do for now especially since there is no Universal version of Adobe CS yet.

lazyrighteye
May 10, 2006, 08:30 AM
Personally, I am STOKED for the Tuesday after next...

Wait, no I'm not.

gloss
May 10, 2006, 08:33 AM
I figure waiting until the end of the month gives me more money to spend on it anyway.

MrCrowbar
May 10, 2006, 08:50 AM
It seems they've been growing them in secret. My local Safeway offers 3 for $1.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/McIntosh

:eek:
I really should chec wikipedia before I post here. :o
I wonder how they taste like. My mighty mouse sure tastes funny. ;)

AppleCareWorker
May 10, 2006, 08:54 AM

OKay im am tired of this BS. It's time to Stick up for Nick and Rayn(http://www.thinksecret.com). Well I can Say that on the Last couple of apple role outs they have hit it right on the Head. Do you want Proof Well here it is
Quote:

MacBook Pro 17-inch days away
April 19, 2006 - Apple is expected to roll-out the 17-inch MacBook Pro in the next week, sources report, but a MacBook announcement is no longer slated to arrive in tandem, as previously reported.
advertisement

The top-of-the-line MacBook Pro will make its debut at the National Association of Broadcasters, an industry tradeshow that kicks off Saturday with exhibits opening Monday. Apple has traditionally made product announcements the Sunday evening before the exhibits open.

The 17-inch MacBook Pro will sport a brighter display than its PowerBook G4 predecessor and is expected to remain on par with the 15.4-inch MacBook Pro in terms of features, Think Secret reported earlier this month. Sources have also speculated that the 17-inch MacBook Pro will ship with a 2.16GHz Core Duo processor and an option to upgrade to the yet-unannounced 2.33GHz Core Duo processor. Several reports in the last week have indicated that Intel will be cutting the price of current Core Duo processors and introducing faster models in the near future. The Core Duo currently tops out at 2.16GHz and is available as a build-to-order upgrade in the 15.4-inch MacBook Pro.

Wait did u see the date on it April 19th Befor anyone else said it. They did. You still want more proof well here

Quote:
iPod "Hi-Fi" boombox arriving next week

By Ryan Katz, Senior Editor
February 24, 2006 - Among the products Apple will debut at next Tuesday's media event will be the iPod "Hi-Fi" boombox, reliable sources have informed Think Secret. Details are scarce but sources have indicated the product will deliver unique capabilities beyond what today's third-party docking speaker systems offer.
advertisement

Word of such a product first emerged late last year on AppleInsider. The iPod Hi-Fi boombox will mark Apple's first foray into significant iPod companion products, as the company seeks to capitalize on the iPod economy it has created, valued today at several hundred million dollars. To date, Apple has released only minor accessories for the iPod with its logo, including remotes, cases, earphones, and docks.

Apple's media event will begin at 9:00 a.m. PT on February 28 and take place in the Apple Town Hall on the company's campus. Further product announcement details remain shrouded in secrecy.

Did we see the date on the the 24th 4 day befor the event and they hit it right on the head.

Rayn is calling this
Quote:
MacBook to land at last by May

By Ryan Katz, Senior Editor
April 7, 2006 - Apple has begun manufacturing its new MacBook and should have the laptop in consumer hands in the next 30-60 days, sources report. The MacBook—and it will indeed be called the MacBook, sources have confirmed, as Apple will be dropping the iBook moniker—is being built exclusively around a 13.3-inch widescreen display with a 1280x720 WXGA resolution, as previously reported.
advertisement

The MacBook will likely share internals with Apple's recently revamped Mac mini, meaning a Core Solo processor can be expected in the low-end and a Core Duo in the higher-end MacBook. In doing so, Apple will position the 13.3-inch MacBook as both an entry-level laptop and as a replacement for Apple's 12-inch PowerBook G4.

Apple will discontinue the 14-inch iBook G4 immediately upon release of the MacBook but sources expect the company to continue to offer the 12-inch iBook G4 in limited quantities for a period of time.

Sources have added that a 17-inch MacBook Pro, being built by Quanta, could also arrive in tandem with the release of the MacBooks. The 17-inch model will pack a brighter display than its predecessor but specifics are not expected to diverge significantly from the high-end 15.4-inch MacBook pro.

Apple's iBook replacement is long overdue and has seen unknown delays push its release back a number of months. Some sources have cited component shortages as partly to blame. For consumers, the MacBook can't arrive sooner—the current iBook has been in the rotation for more than eight months without an upgrade.

They Can not Control if somthing is suppose to come out. so lets see if this month the Mac Books comes out. if it does that will make 3 for 3 on apple roll outs. Not to Rip of Appleinsder or Mac Rumors. so far this year they are not 100% on what the call. What i see is Think Secert Posting up first the then the other sites post up that think secert is say what the said. I have Faith in Rayn and Nick.sorry the post was so long i am just sick on people ripping on Nick and Rayn. when it comes to what will and will not roll out there are pretty good on nailing it on the head

Machead III
May 10, 2006, 08:56 AM
Integrated graphics is not ok. Are you crazy? If these are successors to the iBooks, and iBooks were portable iMacs, then I want to be able to fiddle with some prosumer tasks and play the odd new game.

If I wanted bullcrap integrated graphics I'd wait for a MacBook Mini, and we all know that'd be a loooooong wait.

sunfast
May 10, 2006, 09:02 AM
Integrated graphics is not ok. Are you crazy? If these are successors to the iBooks, and iBooks were portable iMacs, then I want to be able to fiddle with some prosumer tasks and play the odd new game.

If I wanted bullcrap integrated graphics I'd wait for a MacBook Mini, and we all know that'd be a loooooong wait.

How do you imagine the new iBooks to be portable iMacs? That was a tagline some time ago. Look at specs - the MacBook Pro is more of an "iMac to go". The MacBook will be like a Mac Mini.

Or think about the previous generation - G4 iBook vs G5 iMac. Not that similar.

liketom
May 10, 2006, 09:08 AM
17" Macbook pro was not that hard to guess ? NAB ?? come on

TS is not a good source IMO

Machead III
May 10, 2006, 09:10 AM
Before the G5 was causing problems, when the iBook and iMac were G4 (not that long ago really), and the high end iBooks could easily be considered protable iMacs.

But nevertheless, the MacBook should no way in hell become the pseudo-media-PC that the mini is. If this is going to be my primary cpu, yes, I want to do all that Findery internet-iLife-shizzle, but I also want to blow up a few zombies, and fiddle about with Photoshop and Aperture.

If there is no dedicated gfx model, I swear to God... Just throw in some old ATI card, at least I can take advantage of the gaming gems past with Bootcamp and render some RAW in under an hour.

But after all that... it'll probably be integrated.

sunfast
May 10, 2006, 09:13 AM
I just hope there is a top-spec version with discrete graphics. I'll definitely tin up the cash for it.

ImAlex
May 10, 2006, 09:14 AM
ARGH!

Argh! Apple better release it in E3.

PLEASE DON'T RELEASE IT ON A TUESDAY, I'm friggin tired to wait for releases on Tuesdays as they never come by then.

haleyvan
May 10, 2006, 09:19 AM
all i have to say about this is YEAH RIGHT! thinksecret needs to get out of here!

pjkelnhofer
May 10, 2006, 09:31 AM
I predict that Apple will release something on an upcoming day.

I guarantee this prediction to be 100% accurate.

aleck
May 10, 2006, 09:32 AM
I gave up waiting. Bought 13.3" Sony SZ1. Lovely machine with just one problem really - no DVI on it. Resolved with docking station.

No more "next Tuesday" rubbish. So sick of it.

pjkelnhofer
May 10, 2006, 09:33 AM
I just hope there is a top-spec version with discrete graphics. I'll definitely tin up the cash for it.

There already is... it is called the MacBook Pro.

iMan
May 10, 2006, 09:34 AM
There are indications that May 23. would be a bet... there is a promo offer ending oddly in May 21. for no apparent reason. This offer mentions good prices for teachers and students, and also for them to buy MacBook Pro's, iMacs and Mac mini's. No word in there about the REAL student machine; the iBook...

Also Apple would not release anything during E3 - unless it kicks some serious ass... they would not want to compete with both Sony, Nintendo and MS for space in the press... a week or two after on the other hand.. when media have exhausted the gamethingie - the time is ripe.

May 23. it is ;)

Machead III
May 10, 2006, 09:39 AM
Where did the 3rd come from? I thought the Manhatten Store was opening next Tuesday... seems more likely.

sunfast
May 10, 2006, 09:40 AM

ok ok. One that doesn't have a football field for a screen and I can move around without wheels.

macpastor
May 10, 2006, 09:41 AM
I gave up waiting. Bought 13.3" Sony SZ1. Lovely machine with just one problem really - no DVI on it. Resolved with docking station.

You were never one of us at all... Anyone who goes to the dark side instead of waiting for a few more days doesn't belong with us! :)

You never appreciated OS X
You never appreciated the feel of a Mac
You never appreciated the agony of rumors
You never appreciated Kool Aid
You never hated Windows
You never hated Dell and other blah box manufacturers

Enjoy life on the other side...

AidenShaw
May 10, 2006, 09:42 AM
Resolved with docking station.
Someday Apple will realize that it's not elegant to have a tangle of cables to plug/unplug each time you move your system.

Machead III
May 10, 2006, 09:42 AM
ok ok. One that doesn't have a football field for a screen and I can move around without wheels.

Amen to that.

BenRoethig
May 10, 2006, 09:44 AM
Keep saying next tuesday and someone is bound to get it right.

pjkelnhofer
May 10, 2006, 09:47 AM

Let me know how iLife runs on it.

It is so silly for people to get "sick" of Apple not releasing things that the rumor sites predict. Apple never said that the iBook would be replaced any time soon.

If you want a Mac buy a Mac. Don't blame Apple because people spread lies... uh, rumors... about what they have in the pipeline and when it will be released and you fell for it!

gloss
May 10, 2006, 09:47 AM

A 5.5lb computer gives you a hernia?

sunfast
May 10, 2006, 09:49 AM
A 5.5lb computer gives you a hernia?

Nope but it won't fit in my bag.

Machead III
May 10, 2006, 09:50 AM
It is so silly for people to get "sick" of Apple not releasing things that the rumor sites predict. Apple never said that the iBook would be replaced any time soon.

This is the longest consumer portable wait ever.

mniessen
May 10, 2006, 09:54 AM
Why don't they just say the truth. We know it will be released on a Tuesday in the next two months!

Well, at least the tuesday thing gives me a goal in life; live from tuesday to tuesday, and wait for the MB to appear..
so sad..

Meanwhile, I still get a lot of work done.

gloss
May 10, 2006, 09:57 AM
Nope but it won't fit in my bag.

Fair enough. :D

iSee
May 10, 2006, 10:05 AM
Ha ha ha ha ha. <laughing instead of crying> MacBook next Tuesday! Or maybe the Tuesday after that. Or after that...

OK, here's a prediction based on a report from one of my sources: the iBooks will be replaced by intel models by the end of '06 and "Mac" will be part of its new name.

There. Time will prove that I'm a better rumor site than TS.

Can anyone guess who my source is? :D

retroz311
May 10, 2006, 10:07 AM
I am fully expecting integrated graphics. So be it. My forthcoming MacBook is only going to be for when I'm on the run anyways. I have my Power Mac for when I want to do serious computing. I never did buy into the web on a phone deal, and PDA's are still too small for my liking. My other issue is that I want OS X on whatever I take with me - so I wait for the MacBook :cool:

Well, I am skeptical about Mac book running Final cut, in theory, I think Mac should have waited for intel new chips and made the Mac Book Pro with dual dual core, then the Mac Book pro, the Mac Book, and so on.

This way, they can go New DDR and newer CPU's for desktops and mac book pros.

One of the things that scared me - -was in a store, opened iDVD on mac pro laptop, got an error right away and it crashed...so.....hoping ibook, or mac book has better specs, but because of their business model, there is nothing that they can do, unless they price cut - -something you hardly see them do.

Machead III
To quote the Vice Prez of Epic Games:

"What's the point of shipping dual-core processors, if you are using an integrated graphics chip?!"

sunfast
Well, maybe the longer we wait the better they will be! I'll keep telling myself that anyway :D

pjkelnhofer
May 10, 2006, 10:09 AM

15.4 inch MacBook Pro
Height: 1.0 inch
Width: 14.1 inches
Depth: 9.6 inches
Weight: 5.6 pounds

13.3 in Sony SZ160
Height: 1.3 inches
Width: 12.5 inches
Depth: 9.3 inches
Weight: 4.07 pounds

Granted the MacBook Pro weights a pound and a half more; it does managed to have a 2.1 inch bigger screen (diagonally) while having less total volume than the Sony (135.4 cubic inches to 151.1 cubic inches).

gloss
May 10, 2006, 10:12 AM
To quote the Vice Prez of Epic Games:

"What's the point of shipping dual-core processors, if you are using an integrated graphics chip?!"

Because the GPU is primarily for games and rendering, whereas the CPU handles all other processing. He should know that. Tsk.

Machead III
May 10, 2006, 10:18 AM
The Macbook isn't a media PC like the Mac mini, so what's the point in integrated graphics? There are almost no benefits to the average demographic of a consumer Mac laptop of having integrated, and you hardly save any money on it either.

If it's integrated, Apple will have screwed us in the face just so they can increase their profit margins slightly by getting those bullcrap gfx chipsets of Intel at a discount.

peharri
May 10, 2006, 10:20 AM

The iBook is not a portable iMac today, and generally has been less powerful than the iMac, about half of its life not even having a similar generation of processors. The iBook G3 and iMac G3 may have been similar, but once the iMac G4 came out, the iBook continued to be G3 based for a while. They eventually overlapped for a few months with an iBook G4, before the iMac switched to the G5. Since then there's been no similarity.

In pricing terms, the iBook has generally always started around $999, with some very short termed exceptions. The iMac's lowest end models have varied with prices between $799 and $1,300.

I'm not sure the iBook has ever intended to be a portable iMac. The "i" has more been a branding thing to say "This is our consumer model". The iPod isn't the MP3 playing version of the iMac either ;)

As far as integrated graphics go. I was against their inclusion on the Mac mini. I still am. I think a consumer desktop should have moderately good graphics, good enough for games, and at least half a gig of RAM, not (effectively) 448megs of RAM. Pros don't need the ATI range, consumers do.

But... laptops have different requirements. They overheat when running heavily processor intensive software. People are more bothered about battery life than FPS rates.

So, in context, a GMA950 is a better choice for the MacBook. It's not perfect, but people who are thinking "small and light" are going to prefer a more efficient GPU to a more powerful GPU, for much the same reason as we prefer 1.8GHz Pentium Ms to 3GHz Pentium 4s in the same things. (The 1.8GHz M is slower than the 3GHz 4, though not as slow as the GHz figures might imply, it's more like comparing a 2.5GHz P4 to a 3GHz P4)

I would like an ATI as an option though. Personally, given the GMA950 is going to be in there anyway, it'd be an interesting strategy for Apple to try if, say, they allowed you to switch one off and use the other. Use the GMA950 on the road, the X300 at your desk. I don't think that'll happen though.

gloss
May 10, 2006, 10:21 AM
If it's integrated, Apple will have screwed us in the face just so they can increase their profit margins slightly by getting those bullcrap gfx chipsets of Intel at a discount.

Ding ding.

Keep in mind that the 13.3 inch screens they're using are more expensive per inch than most others, they're expected to introduce a sleeker, smaller form factor, etc. It might possibly be due to heat.

Then again, maybe everyone claiming that they're definitely going with integrated graphics is full of it.

filterban
May 10, 2006, 10:25 AM
I would like an ATI as an option though. Personally, given the GMA950 is going to be in there anyway, it'd be an interesting strategy for Apple to try if, say, they allowed you to switch one off and use the other. Use the GMA950 on the road, the X300 at your desk. I don't think that'll happen though.

Sony does this today with its "Stamina" vs "Speed" switch on its laptops. It's cool, but you need to restart after flipping the switch, which is annoying.

It would certainly settle this debate though. So would releasing a 13.3" (or 12") MacBook Pro.

I really think Apple will release a small laptop with a graphics card, but it probably will not be called the MacBook.

sunfast
May 10, 2006, 10:28 AM
I really think Apple will release a small laptop with a graphics card, but it probably will not be called the MacBook.

MacBook Plus?

pjkelnhofer
May 10, 2006, 10:31 AM
Well, I am skeptical about Mac book running Final cut, in theory, I think Mac should have waited for intel new chips and made the Mac Book Pro with dual dual core, then the Mac Book pro, the Mac Book, and so on.

This way, they can go New DDR and newer CPU's for desktops and mac book pros.

One of the things that scared me - -was in a store, opened iDVD on mac pro laptop, got an error right away and it crashed...so.....hoping ibook, or mac book has better specs, but because of their business model, there is nothing that they can do, unless they price cut - -something you hardly see them do.

Why are you skeptical about running Final Cut on the MacBook? I used FCP3 for quite some time on a 1 GHz G4 and it worked fine. Seeing as FCP5 needs a minimum of a 867 MHz G4, I would think it would run nicely on any of the Core Duo chips.

Do you really think they should have waited until the could put out a Dual Dual notebook? Does any one currently offer such a beast. I am sure it would be nice from a processing power point of view, but I am not sure how practical it is right now.

The MacBook will not have better specs than the MacBook Pro. That doesn't even make sense.

iChill
May 10, 2006, 10:35 AM
the macbook is going to be nothing special, as in it has gotten way to much hype. it should still be a great notebook, but ive never seen this much drama over a new computer before.:cool:

Machead III
May 10, 2006, 10:38 AM
The 950 is utterly abismal when it comes to 3D, but even if it's marketed as being HD-ready, that just means it can more or less handle most HD videos (but not the commercial discs mind) most of the time, but then even the most basic modern portable gfx card can do that and a whole lot more for not much more in price.

Heating is no problem with ATI's modern cards, they are cool as cucumbers.

Size is barely a factor. The cards aren't particularly big, it's the hard drive etc. that give it it's bulk.

Seriously, integrated might work well for 30% of consumers, but the other 70% are going to be frustrated a lot of the time, and 20% of that are going to be sick of it before long.

If they don't release a mid or upper range MacBook at least with dedicated, they had better release a substaintially cheaper MacBook Pro, because the lack of a mid-range laptop with nice enough graphics capabilities from Apple would be an absolute farce.

mackiwi
May 10, 2006, 10:39 AM
Sorry to sound like the noob I am, but...

There is no reason whatsoever to assume the new macbook wil not have frontrow + apple remote, iSight, Photobooth and bluetooth + Wireless right?

On the apple site it says that every new intel-Mac comes with the above.

http://www.apple.com/getamac/whichmac.html

is there any reason to believe any of the above will not appear on the Macbook?

filterban
May 10, 2006, 10:41 AM
MacBook Plus?

No. MacBook Pro.

iPie
May 10, 2006, 10:43 AM
There are going to be a lot of unhappy Macbook Rev A users out there if after all this wait the Macbook Rev A has anything like the same problems as the MBP.

It may also drive a lot of switchers either away or back, and this time for good.

I personally can't wait for REV B Tuesday.:D

"Sources close to Apple have confirmed that the new MBP will be shipping sometime after next Tuesday. The new model will have some substantial improvements over the existing model so consumers may also expect some minor price adjustments. The same source has revealed that Apple is building inventory and as soon as they hit acceptable levels they will be releasing the product."

I can't wait!

Machead III
May 10, 2006, 10:44 AM
MacBook Pro is top range. The hypothetical MacBook with integrated is low range. What about a mid range?

KaiMac
May 10, 2006, 10:45 AM
Can anyone guess who my source is? :D

Khalif, the Anonymous Camel?

alexf
May 10, 2006, 10:47 AM
Sorry to sound like the noob I am, but...

There is no reason whatsoever to assume the new macbook wil not have frontrow + apple remote, iSight, Photobooth and bluetooth + Wireless right?

On the apple site it says that every new intel-Mac comes with the above.

http://www.apple.com/getamac/whichmac.html

is there any reason to believe any of the above will not appear on the Macbook?

No, I think - almost to the point of certainty - that the new MacBook will come with all of this.

BTW, strange that the Power Mac G5 is not listed there at all... Isn't that a "new Mac" (at least to the one who purchases it) as well? :confused:

mackiwi
May 10, 2006, 10:51 AM
Another noob question:

Is it the hard drive in a mackbook that gives it its minimum depth? Is it likely that we will see an ultraportable mac that uses 40gig of flash memory - something like the nano uses, but larger or half a dozen flash memory chips acting as one?

I think that would be great with a 10 inch screen and a half-inch thickness and only wieghing a few pound. might be pricey though.

mackiwi
May 10, 2006, 10:53 AM
thanks alex.

it seems they are only promoting the intel-macs in the new ad campaign.

fair enough I guess, as they mention the windows compatible aspect on those pages too.

pjkelnhofer
May 10, 2006, 11:10 AM

<sarcasm>Damn these companies trying to make money with their products. It makes me so mad. I mean Apple already has so much cash, they should be selling computers at cost. </sarcasm>

Machead III
May 10, 2006, 11:12 AM
Apple have vast profit margins anyway, the least they could do for their loyal fanbase is provide them with a laptop that is not, in GFX terms, less powerfull than every other for the past 4 years.

moesker007
May 10, 2006, 11:16 AM
If i had to put money on it i would guess next friday at the NYC opening, it just makes the most sense to me :)

retroz311
May 10, 2006, 11:18 AM

Right, so, $1200.00 for a dedicated GPU.

Sounds like a good deal to me (rolls eyes).

Go MaxOSX86.org rah rah rah unless Apple gets there swizzle together!

Machead III
May 10, 2006, 11:19 AM
$1200.00 just for a comp with a dedicated GPU would be an abomination. $2000 just for a portable one would be a war crime.

pjkelnhofer
May 10, 2006, 11:27 AM
Right, so, $1200.00 for a dedicated GPU.

Sounds like a good deal to me (rolls eyes).

Go MaxOSX86.org rah rah rah unless Apple gets there swizzle together!

Explain your math to me, the 15 inch MBP costs $2000. You think the MacBook that is similiarly configured but with integrated graphics is going to cost $800?

15.4-inch widescreen display
1440x900 resolution
1.83GHz Intel Core Duo(1)
512MB (single SODIMM) 667MHz DDR2 SDRAM
80GB 5400-rpm Serial ATA hard drive
4x SuperDrive
One FireWire 400 and two USB 2.0 ports

That is a pretty good deal even @ $800 even with the GMA 950 in it.

JCT
May 10, 2006, 11:27 AM
If i had to put money on it i would guess next friday at the NYC opening, it just makes the most sense to me :)

I was thinking the same thing--- my daughter wants me to take her and her "Mac" friends -- could be a zoo!

JT

KindredMAC
May 10, 2006, 11:28 AM
I'm not sure the iBook has ever intended to be a portable iMac. The "i" has more been a branding thing to say "This is our consumer model". The iPod isn't the MP3 playing version of the iMac either ;)

If you can find the video of the MacWorld inwhich the iBook (clamshell) was introduced, Steve had a chart that showed the PowerMac had the PowerBook and that on that day the iMac had the iBook as its portable brother. So yes the iBook was indeed intended to be the portbale iMac.

If anyone knows the website address could you post it? I don't have it here at work, but I remember that MacBytes posted it about a month ago. Pretty cool to watch all the old introductions of things over the past 8 years at conventions and gatherings.

nagromme
May 10, 2006, 11:40 AM
will mini or new ibook, errr, macbook run the Garageband and Final Cut studios?
Yes. GarageBand comes with all Macs, and some people run Final Cut on MUCH slower G4 machines. You may not be able to run the Motion part of the FC bundle on a low-end Mac, but the rest should be fine. Consider Final Cut Express, too.

Obviously, the more you pay the more performance you'll get--but FC will run on a Core Solo/Duo, and MANY people get buy with FC on slower machines than that.

To answer your other questions:

Re the crash you saw on a MBP: it's not because the specs need to be higher, it's just a random crash. It happens. Rare, but it's possible. I've run iDVD just fine on a 700 Mhz Mac that a Core would just blow away.

Re price: if you compare all the specs of a Mac to other name-brand PCs, Macs aren't more expensive. Don't pick one or two specs and say the machines are equal--find machines that really ARE equal before you price-compare. That includes I/O ports, built-in camera, software bundle, etc. (And of course the Mac has OS X, but you can't compare that!)

Welcome to reliable, easy, fun creativity! You won't regret a MacBook with GarageBand and Final Cut. (Disclaimer: the MacBook does not exist for us yet!)

aStoryTold
May 10, 2006, 11:44 AM
well I finally did it, I broke down and bought an iMac instead of waiting for these anymore. Anyone think I made a bad decision?