PDA

View Full Version : Bluetooth Mighty Mouse?

Pages : [1] 2 3

plinden
Jul 24, 2006, 02:18 PM
On Anandtech (http://www.dailytech.com/article.aspx?newsid=3475)

Apple has submitted a filing with the FCC for the Bluetooth version of its single-button right-clickable mouse, the Mighty Mouse. The new mouse will be exactly the same as the current Mighty Mouse except for its wireless feature. The mouse comes with a single button that does both left-click and right-click duties. One omni-directional pointing ball in the middle allows you to scroll in any direction.

The new Mighty Mouse uses two standard AA batteries and will be compatible with OS X 10.4.6 and later. Some users reported that the Mighty Mouse had some issues with right clicking, and often times the single fat button would click both sides of the mouse. It is unclear whether or not this has been addressed.

No release date is set for the new Bluetooth Mighty Mouse -- currently codenamed M6, but judging from the FCC filing, the new mouse should arrive soon.

eddx
Jul 24, 2006, 02:24 PM
How much do you think this will cost? I would love to get one for my new laptop but I think it could be priced a little too high for a lot of us.

Good news, long time coming! lol

Makosuke
Jul 24, 2006, 02:26 PM
Interesting, and good news--surprised it took this long. Although the quoted article seems to show a bit of a misunderstanding about how the mouse actually works--yes, some people aren't comfortable with the way it detects clicks, but it has to do with the touch sensors, not "fat buttons".

QCassidy352
Jul 24, 2006, 02:29 PM
awesome, about time. Let's hope it's reasonably priced.

zap2
Jul 24, 2006, 02:37 PM
Good new because after using my BT Apple mouse, no way i was going wired even for Mighty Mouse

dextertangocci
Jul 24, 2006, 02:42 PM
DAMN! I just bought the Apple BT mouse:o :( :rolleyes:

brepublican
Jul 24, 2006, 02:44 PM
Kudos Apple! Long awaited, I bet they make it available right after WWDC

Eidorian
Jul 24, 2006, 02:46 PM
*head explodes*

'bout time!

BurtonCCC
Jul 24, 2006, 02:48 PM
There could be arguments either way that the BT Mighty Mouse would cost more than the regular BT mouse. On one hand, if they are the same price, people might just say to themselves, "Oh, the Mighty Mouse has more features, I'll get that," and soon the standard BT mouse sales would be dropping way too much. Or maybe there are still a lot of people who aren't affected by the right click features of the Mighty Mouse and would still buy the standard BT mouse. In that case, making them both the same price would be great. I would say Apple might just stop making the BT mouse if a BT Mighty Mouse comes out, but I find that hard to believe.

I know that a lot of Mac users that are used to the ctrl+click don't really care about having a right click mouse (most people don't notice that you can now do trackpad right-clicking on MacBook Pros and probably MacBooks as well), so it would be my bet that Apple will keep making both BT mice and keep them the same price, or the Mighty Mouse just $5 or $10 more.

Daniel.

MacRumors
Jul 24, 2006, 03:09 PM
http://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com)

DailyTech reports (http://www.dailytech.com/article.aspx?newsid=3475) that a filing with the Federal Communications Commission reveals that Apple has developed a Bluetooth (wireless) version of its Mighty Mouse (http://www.apple.com/mightymouse/), otherwise identical to the current model and its touch-sensitive cover, Scroll Ball, and force-sensing side buttons.

The new Mighty Mouse uses two standard AA batteries and will be compatible with OS X 10.4.6 and later. No release date is set for the new Bluetooth Mighty Mouse -- currently codenamed M6, but judging from the FCC filing, the new mouse should arrive soon.

MacRumors recently received word that Apple repair technicians and phone support had been briefed on how to deal with the new hardware, indicating a release may be imminent. The Mighty Mouse was introduced (http://www.macrumors.com/pages/2005/08/20050802094256.shtml) in August 2005.

Update: According to a picture of a preliminary product manual obtained by AppleInsider (http://www.appleinsider.com/article.php?id=1909), the new wireless Mighty Mouse will use Laser tracking in place of the Optical tracking system the current USB Mighty Mouse uses. Laser-based mice typically are more accurate and less prone to errors on extremely smooth surfaces.

Jesus
Jul 24, 2006, 03:11 PM
I will now finally go bluetooth and buy a wireless keyboard and a wireless mighty mouse when it comes out.:D

mkrishnan
Jul 24, 2006, 03:12 PM
I'm impressed. I didn't think this was coming. Not that it makes sense for it to have not come. I thought it was going to not come in a totally nonsensical fashion. :o

jephrey
Jul 24, 2006, 03:12 PM
YES! Now I can trade in my Microshaft Bluetooth mouse for this one! I've waned a mighty mouse for a while, but didn't want to give up bluetooth (even though I'm never really a distance away that a cord wouldn't reach).

woohoo!

Jephrey

bobber205
Jul 24, 2006, 03:14 PM
Now that it's Bluetooth, I'll have to seriously consider buying one...

poppe
Jul 24, 2006, 03:16 PM
Son of...
I figured this would happen. I've been paying for Apple accessories one time each pay check, while I wait for the Merom MBP to come out, and I just bought a Might Mouse cord in may... I suppose its not that big of a deal, but still...

FelixDerKater
Jul 24, 2006, 03:16 PM
This is long overdue. Hopefully it does not have the same connectivity issues as other products on the market such as those from Microsoft.

slackersonly
Jul 24, 2006, 03:17 PM
Using Apple.com prices for comparison, current Mighty Mouse is $49 and Bluetooth Mouse is $59.

I would like to see the Bluetooth Mighty Mouse at $59 or even better a Bluetooth Keyboard and Mighty Mouse Combo for $99.

topgunn
Jul 24, 2006, 03:18 PM
I really hope that this mouse can better distinguish between a right and left click than the wired MM.

Balli
Jul 24, 2006, 03:18 PM
I voted negative on this story. As I was hoping that Apple would concentrate on fixing the sticking scrollbars on the current Mighty Mouses, (or make it easier to open them and clean) before they just made it wireless.

Also, I'n not a big fan of using batteries in mice. Why not have a wireless mouse that is re-chargable? Or one that you can use wires with if the battery gets low?

iGary
Jul 24, 2006, 03:19 PM
I'll take two, please.

andiwm2003
Jul 24, 2006, 03:21 PM
I'll take two, please.

why not four? one for each wheel;)

JohnK.O
Jul 24, 2006, 03:21 PM
well this is lovely news, but will the new MM solve the continuously gunked up scroll ball??

AlmostThere
Jul 24, 2006, 03:22 PM
Bah, these things are rubbish. The scroll wheel clogs up with dirt, just as scroll ball mice did in days gone by - except there is no user access to clean it thoroughly. Apple need to re-think the design on this one before updating it.

Thanatoast
Son of a gun. I just bought a Apple (read:expensive) wireless mouse last week. I wonder if I still have the box...

Busy season, this WWDC.

AvSRoCkCO1067
Using Apple.com prices for comparison, current Mighty Mouse is $49 and Bluetooth Mouse is $59.

I would like to see the Bluetooth Mighty Mouse at $59 or even better a Bluetooth Keyboard and Mighty Mouse Combo for $99.

Ditto - if the mouse is 70 dollars, there's no way I'll pay for it (I'm still surprised I forked over the 50 dollars for the last Mighty Mouse...)

My guess? They lower the price of the wired Mighty Mouse a bit, discontinue the other bluetooth mouse, and replace it with a bluetooth Mighty Mouse for 50-60 dollars. My hope? They offer a bundle, with both the wireless keyboard + mouse for 99 dollars or less.

danielwsmithee
Jul 24, 2006, 03:25 PM
I would have got the wireless keyboard/mouse set for my iMac if this was available at the time. Oh well. I'm considering switching to the Logitech Laser anyways. I get sick of the MM not recognizing right clicks.

Doctor Q
Jul 24, 2006, 03:28 PM
My (wired) Mighty Mouse has been a mixed blessing. I really like the scroll ball when it's not sticking, and I miss that feature when I'm using my otherwise great Macally iOptinet mouse. But when the Mighty Mouse sticks, which it does occasionally, it's definitely a lot less Mighty.

I wouldn't buy another one unless Apple claimed changes had been made to address this.

AvSRoCkCO1067
Jul 24, 2006, 03:29 PM
I would have got the wireless keyboard/mouse set for my iMac if this was available at the time. Oh well. I'm considering switching to the Logitech Laser anyways. I get sick of the MM not recognizing right clicks.

Half of them do, half of them don't. Mine recognizes right clickes 70% or so of the time - my friend's, on the other hand, is almost perfect.

Either way, though, both of our scroll balls get stuck way too often - I agree with Doctor Q, that it would be nice to see an improvement in this area...

psendeavor
Jul 24, 2006, 03:33 PM
Bah, these things are rubbish. The scroll wheel clogs up with dirt, just as scroll ball mice did in days gone by - except there is no user access to clean it thoroughly. Apple need to re-think the design on this one before updating it.

Yep, and me, I'm NOT coming back from my Logitech MX 1000 Laser. Mighty Mouse is only serving during those 30 or so min a week when the MX (http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/products/features/opticaltopics/AR/EN,CRID=2090) is charging, and that's 30 min too long.

whooleytoo
Jul 24, 2006, 03:37 PM
The frustration I feel when going from a Mighty Mouse with ball to a mouse with a scroll wheel, is the same as when going from a mouse with a scroll wheel to one with none. What a pity it requires a lot of rubbing/wiping and/or disassembling to keep it working!

supremedesigner
Jul 24, 2006, 03:38 PM
Scroll Ball? Hmmm...wondered if it's gonna be sensor scroll bar instead of pea-sized ball?

sebisworld
Jul 24, 2006, 03:39 PM
I own two mice, a Logitech MX 1000 and the Mighty Mouse that came with my iMac. I only use the Mighty Mouse when my MX 1000 is charging.

Needless to say, I'm thinking about buying a third mouse. That Mighty Mouse is so bad I can't even put it into words. I just don't have midget hands. I hate that thing.

CorvusCamenarum
Jul 24, 2006, 03:40 PM
I'd be a lot happier with an Apple™ trackball. Just my personal preference, but I can't stand mice.

Photek
Jul 24, 2006, 03:43 PM
WOW..... a mouse that not only gets clogged with fluff, rendering the scroll wheel useless... but ALSO eats batterys like sweets.......

where do I get one of those from:D

CEAbiscuit
Jul 24, 2006, 03:43 PM
Make it easy to clean, or I'm sticking with my Kensington Trackball. 10 years, the same design. And I can replace the white trackball with my favorite snooker ball.

http://ec1.images-amazon.com/images/P/B00006B8NT.01-A2RT822UHB0YS8._AA225_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

iShane
Jul 24, 2006, 03:44 PM
YAY! I can't wait. I'm thinking in WWDC. :)

daneoni
Jul 24, 2006, 03:44 PM
Frankly i think the Bluetooth version should have been relased August 2005. Bout time though and i hope it comes in white/black/aluminium (silver plastic?) variations.

Phil A.
Jul 24, 2006, 03:47 PM
Do people really have that many problems with the scroll ball gunking up? I've had mine for ages and never had a problem with it (maybe I just keep my hands cleaner :D )

lOUDsCREAMEr
Jul 24, 2006, 03:49 PM
As a matter of fact, a cheap wired optical mouse is AS LOW AS 2 USD..

DTphonehome
It's about time. But I've had a wireless mouse/keyboard set when I got my iMac G5 Rev. A back in the day, and I quickly got rid of it. I was sick and tired of changing the damn batteries every few weeks. I never mouse or type away from my desk, so I had no use for it, and I'd rather have the ugly wires than deal with the annoyance of buying/changing batteries often. Now, if they were rechargeable (in a dock, I don't want to have to take them out and put them in a seperate charger), I could see using them.

EricNau
Hopefully with the introduction of this mouse, Apple will reduce the price of the current Mighty Mouse. Considering the MM is Apple's cheapest mouse, $50 is too much IMO.

Following past Apple price trends, the wireless MM should be double the price of the wired version. Unless Apple drops the price of the current mouse, I do not believe there will be a large enough price difference between the wired and wireless models. ...or Apple could charge $100. :rolleyes:

But I won't be buying no matter what the price is. The battery life on my current Apple BT mouse is already bad enough. I'd hate to see the battery life on this mouse.

aricher
Make it easy to clean, or I'm sticking with my Kensington Trackball. 10 years, the same design. And I can replace the white trackball with my favorite snooker ball.
I agree - nothing beats the Kensington. Between that and my Wacom tablet I'm set.

lOUDsCREAMEr
Jul 24, 2006, 03:52 PM
Do people really have that many problems with the scroll ball gunking up? I've had mine for ages and never had a problem with it (maybe I just keep my hands cleaner :D )

naughtie fingers dwelling deep...

KindredMAC
Jul 24, 2006, 03:52 PM
I don't get how people think that the current BT Mouse will stick around?!?!?!?!?

It makes perfect sense to get rid of it in favor for the MM.

Last time I checked you couldn't get an original wired mouse with any Mac purchase, only MM's.

I agree with the one person on here that said Apple should make a package deal, BT KB and BT MM for $99. I would buy one for my Power Mac G5 set up in a heartbeat! Apple can easily make a small box set of these for retail sale.

chrisgeleven
Jul 24, 2006, 03:53 PM

And what makes you think that a fix for that is not part of this update?

If they come out with a Bluetooth mouse, I am all over it. My wrists get very tired using my Macbook's trackpad all day.

dollystereo
Jul 24, 2006, 03:54 PM
Mighty mouse sux anyway, very bad built quiality.

tipdrill407
Jul 24, 2006, 03:57 PM
I think this BT MM will replace the Apple BT mouse currently available. Apple is already offering the MM with all mac desktops except the mini. And to me i think it's very annoying to be stuck with one button when using a desktop so it only makes sense to get rid of the one button BT mouse.

ifjake
Jul 24, 2006, 03:57 PM
come on, Apple! what we're all really waiting for is a mouse with force-feedback. for all these games.

Stella
Jul 24, 2006, 03:58 PM
Its about time. As much as I like BT, I wouldn't buy one - not unless about sort out the ergonomic issues.. the current mighty mouse is horrid.

NewbieNerd
Jul 24, 2006, 03:58 PM
Also, I'n not a big fan of using batteries in mice. Why not have a wireless mouse that is re-chargable? Or one that you can use wires with if the battery gets low?

I disagree with this. Why should every single device I need to recharge have a seperate wire to deal with, or even if it were some common wire, like the one used with the iPod, why should I have to keep track of all these things when I can just use rechargable batteries in everything and then charge them from a single charger? If I am at work and my BT mouse dies in the morning, should I have to hook a cord to my computer or the wall to charge it? Even if I can still use it as it charges, what was the point of getting the BT? With batteries, I just have two sets and can swap them out on the fly when needed while the others charge.

EDIT: BTW, I absolutely love my Mighty Mouse and was thinking just this morning how I would love to have one with BT. I am in need of another mouse as I have taken my wireless and Mighty Mouse to work and have a lonely iMac at home. SWEET!

Stella
Jul 24, 2006, 03:59 PM
come on, Apple! what we're all really waiting for is a mouse with force-feedback. for all these games.

Logitech did that years ago with two range of mice.

Now, they are no where to be seen. They were a gimmic.

e2ka
Jul 24, 2006, 04:00 PM
I like my Logitech G5, which ships with two battery packs and a USB recharger, so that I am never stuck with a wireless mouse without batteries. Wish the new Mighty Mouse would do this, it would have the added benefit that it uses Bluetooth and not RF so I could lose the dongle.

I suppose I could use a standard AA battery recharger. I haven't seen one in use since about 10 years ago and they never used to be very good...

The other thing is that the Logitech mouse is a laser mouse, which is the only thing that works on my glossy white desk surface. I like the mighty mouse look and design but it won't work on my desk. (No I don't want a mousepad)

millypede
Jul 24, 2006, 04:03 PM
I would expect a release VERY soon as stock of the bluetooth mouse is well none...

DJMastaWes
Jul 24, 2006, 04:05 PM
I'll take two, please.
Dito.

But only if its $10 more then the current wireless, if it's more then that, I'll jut get the old one.

iMikeT
Jul 24, 2006, 04:07 PM
I would love to have a new wireless Mighty Mouse but I already have the original. I might just wait until I get a new Mac to get one.

For some reason, I still hear many people complaining about this. The complaints will more than likely come from the fact of the lack of a "real" right-click.:rolleyes:

iZoom P5
Jul 24, 2006, 04:10 PM
Engadget has a pic of it on their website:

http://www.engadget.com/2006/07/24/apples-mighty-mouse-finally-gets-bluetooth/

displaced
Jul 24, 2006, 04:16 PM
Good timing :)

Since my MBP arrived, I've been toying with the idea of moving the Mac Mini downstairs and hooking it up to the TV. Already bought myself a copy of Remote Buddy and a Keyspan Remote control. A bluetooth Mighty Mouse would match up nicely.

I already have a Logitech bluetooth mouse, but it requires a charging station. I'd rather keep the number of cables, docks and misc. paraphernalia down to a minimum in the living room. A basic AA-driven mouse would be great.

ATG
Jul 24, 2006, 04:17 PM
:D :D

I'm buying one of these the day they come out!

JackSYi
Jul 24, 2006, 04:18 PM
Damn, about time.

rxse7en
Jul 24, 2006, 04:19 PM
Good deal.

Here's to still hoping for an answer to us trackball users. A nice BT-enabled MacBall®, or would that be iBall®, would be nice.

B

kevin.rivers
Jul 24, 2006, 04:19 PM
It is about time. I am glad I didn't buy the original one.

boncellis
Jul 24, 2006, 04:22 PM
I really hope that this mouse can better distinguish between a right and left click than the wired MM.

Amen to that. I've been less than impressed with the wired version so far. I think Apple should break down and put two buttons on it.

I love my BT mouse, I don't mind hitting the CTRL button that much.

http://www.blogsmithmedia.com/www.engadget.com/media/2006/07/mighty_mouse_bt.jpg

7on
Jul 24, 2006, 04:22 PM
for a while on ebay there were $30 Apple BT mice. Don't know if they're still there, but it was a good buy.

AvSRoCkCO1067
Jul 24, 2006, 04:26 PM
Engadget has a pic of it on their website:

http://www.engadget.com/2006/07/24/apples-mighty-mouse-finally-gets-bluetooth/

Looks exactly the same as the present one - with no wire, of course.

I wonder if anything else has changed (i.e. if they improved the right-click recognition or the scroll ball problems)...:confused:

mhuk01
Jul 24, 2006, 04:28 PM
i ordered a custom build macbook and apple bluetooth mouse last friday. should i cancel the order for the mouse and wait? or because of all the mighty mouse problems should i be happy with a completely sleek standard apple bluetooth mouse?

iDrinkKoolAid
Jul 24, 2006, 04:33 PM
I haven't read all the comments, and I'm sure fifty billion people have already said this but I cannot help but blurt that "it's about friggin' time!!!" :)

I own both the Mighty Mouse and the Apple Bluetooth mouse. When I use the Bluetooth mouse, I am constantly looking for some kind of scrolling mechanism and right-click functionality.

Rant done, I would gladly ebay my Bluetooth mouse for this Mighty Bluetooth version. Hope it comes out sooner than later.

Kardashian
Jul 24, 2006, 04:33 PM
At bloody last! Although, if the price for a standard BT Apple mouse is anything to go by, this is gonna be quitepricey when compared to a generic brand BT mouse.. and for the price Apple are likely to charge, I want a platinum scroll ball :)

DaveTheGrey
Jul 24, 2006, 04:35 PM
finally...
one for me plz :)

dave

bilbo--baggins
Jul 24, 2006, 04:35 PM

Why fix this problem now? Surely they will make more money if they bring out a bluetooth version with all the flaws of the wired version, and then next year bring out the new improved version with a solid state scroll pad, independent side buttons, ability to press the middle button while holding down the left button (ie. to drag an object between applications, with my old M$ mouse I would click and hold on a picture, press the scroll wheel to change applications, then drop the picture into iTunes - can't be done with the Mighty mouses single click mechanism).

tomokun
Jul 24, 2006, 04:40 PM
I dont think I could ever go to a Mighty mouse, however i always thought that it should have been bluetooth. I have a bluetooth apple mouse (that came with my iMac) and my Logitech MX1000. The logitech is much more comfortable, i cant stand using the small apple mouse for long periods of time.

I could see this as better than mightymouse, however its nothing to make me want to buy one. The logitech is better.

freeny
Jul 24, 2006, 04:41 PM
First there was "The crappy mouse".

And now......

"The wireless crappy mouse!"

:confused:

Zman5225
Jul 24, 2006, 04:45 PM
in for one!

Been waiting for this to be released since the mighty mouse was intially introduced.

craigatkinson
The mighty mouse is a great mouse. The only thing I dislike about it is the way the scroll wheel sticks. My wife doesn't like the squeeze buttons on the side, but I think they work great. I guess it's all a matter of preference. If they fix the scrolling wheel problem on the new one's I would definitely buy one. I've found though that cleaning the scroll wheel with rubbing alchohol several times in a row will take care of the sticking problem.

First there was "The crappy mouse".

And now......

"The wireless crappy mouse!"

:confused:

BlizzardBomb
I'm just praying that Apple get the price right. Personally, I prefer tilt wheels to scroll wheels.

wizz0bang
Jul 24, 2006, 04:46 PM

Agreed... the corded MM needs improvements. Hopefully they address this at the same time as adding BT.

fixyourthinking
Jul 24, 2006, 04:48 PM
Interesting, and good news--surprised it took this long. Although the quoted article seems to show a bit of a misunderstanding about how the mouse actually works--yes, some people aren't comfortable with the way it detects clicks, but it has to do with the touch sensors, not "fat buttons".

2nd that ... and wonder WHAT took so long

weitzner
Jul 24, 2006, 04:49 PM
well it's about effin' time!

yoak
Jul 24, 2006, 04:52 PM
I have BT keyboard and mouse with my iMac and I love the tidyness of it. One cable that´s all. I have tried the MM in the shop and I thought it was nice to use, but from what I´ve read here it seems to be problems with the scroll ball. Guess my old mouse will do for now

fenixx
Jul 24, 2006, 04:53 PM
hmmmm, tomorrow's Tuesday...

kevin.rivers
Jul 24, 2006, 04:55 PM
Tuesday is coming, don't forget to bring a hat.

weitzner
Jul 24, 2006, 04:56 PM
i have a mighty mouse for my iMac, and i've never had a problem with the scroll ball "sticking" or recognizing right clicks. i like it a lot and i am quite psyched for this.

LieutenantLefse
Jul 24, 2006, 04:57 PM
I suppose I could use a standard AA battery recharger. I haven't seen one in use since about 10 years ago and they never used to be very good...

The current NiMH rechargeables are much, much better than the old NiCds; they last longer and allow more recharge cycles. They still don't last as long per cycle as an alkaline, but for battery-hungry gadgets NiMH is great.

BoyBach
Jul 24, 2006, 04:59 PM
AppleInsider has a series of photos of the Bluetooth Might Mouse

http://www.appleinsider.com/article.php?id=1909

bradc
Jul 24, 2006, 05:07 PM
Crap, just bought the bluetooth keyboard&mouse yesterday! Oh well, I don't really care about staying on top of the mouse tech world! Haha.

What is the battery life of the current Bluetooth Mouse?

satty
Jul 24, 2006, 05:12 PM

Very nice pictures. Looks like an "inside job" :cool:

BoyBach
Jul 24, 2006, 05:15 PM
Very nice pictures. Looks like an "inside job" :cool:

A quote from the AppleInsider article:

Along with the filing, the traditionally tight-lipped Apple made a request for confidentiality to the FCC, one which was apparently denied.

"These documents contain detailed system and equipment description and related information about the product that Apple Computer, Inc. considers to be proprietary, confidential, and a custom design and, otherwise would not release to the general public," Apple EMC and wireless engineer Mike Kreige wrote.

Denied? Apparently so!

eji
Jul 24, 2006, 05:16 PM
My guess is that it'll be upwards of $70. Which is way too much to pay for a mouse. Like someone else posted earlier, I'm still kind of shocked that I paid $50 for my regular Mighty Mouse. Though I do think it's the bees knees.

As for the wireless bit... well, wasn't it only a matter of time?

milo
Jul 24, 2006, 05:17 PM
I love my MM, makes me miss the scroll ball when I use anything else.

If buttons or wheel aren't working right for you, why don't you just take it back and get a replacement under warranty?

MacSA
Jul 24, 2006, 05:24 PM
I dont know what people see in the Mighty Mouse, I tried one out in a local computer shop and found it VERY frustrating to use.

Mainyehc
Jul 24, 2006, 05:24 PM
The mighty mouse is a great mouse. The only thing I dislike about it is the way the scroll wheel sticks. My wife doesn't like the squeeze buttons on the side, but I think they work great. I guess it's all a matter of preference. If they fix the scrolling wheel problem on the new one's I would definitely buy one. I've found though that cleaning the scroll wheel with rubbing alchohol several times in a row will take care of the sticking problem.

BEWARE: I use to do this too, and my "press-the-scroll-ball-and-click-the-mouse" 3rd button ceased to work right after one of those cleaning sessions. I don't know if the two events were related, but I tend to believe they were :eek: . I might have used too much alcohol that time, though... :o [*rubbing* alcohol, don't get me wrong :p ]

jaxstate
Jul 24, 2006, 05:26 PM
I hope it functions better than the corded Mighty Mouse. I ended up buying a logitech corded mouse instead of the "Mighty" Mouse. It just didn't feel right. I hope this one is better, but on the other hand, it can't be worst than the MouseBT. It has to be one of the worst Mice ever made.

craigatkinson
Jul 24, 2006, 05:27 PM
That may be the problem. You didn't use it enough to become comfortable with it. It was a little weird when I first began to use mine as well, but after a day of using it I was in love.

I dont know what people see in the Mighty Mouse, I tried one out in a local computer shop and found it VERY frustrating to use.

Peace
Jul 24, 2006, 05:31 PM

Unless I missed it.Looks like Apple will be selling an External Bluetooth USB adapter too.

I looked it up on Apple's store and couldn't find it..

Does Apple make that ?

nagromme
Jul 24, 2006, 05:34 PM
I love the shape of the Mighty Mouse, but not the function (weird right-click). Or the name :)

It's a personal call, and I could get used to it, but for ME, I'd choose a different mouse.

I also have done a 180 on Bluetooth: I now feel that for ME, batteries and charging are more of a hassle than a single cord.

But I wouldn't mind a BT mouse as PowerBook/MacBook's travel companion.

troup
Jul 24, 2006, 05:35 PM
Would be nice if apple allowed you to charge the mouse via USB like the RadTech BT600 http://www.radtech.us/Products/BT600.aspx.

I got one of these to replace my MightyMouse and single button apple bluetooth mouse. Been using it with my macbook and its fantastic.

count chocula
Jul 24, 2006, 05:37 PM
same here, but i expect they'll make improvements. i'll probably get one if i end up with a proper desk.

13 days, 17 hours, and 23 minutes until we find out exactly what they've done with this thing.

displaced
Jul 24, 2006, 05:38 PM
Unless I missed it.Looks like Apple will be selling an External Bluetooth USB adapter too.

I looked it up on Apple's store and couldn't find it..

Does Apple make that ?

That'll be the standard D-Link DBT-120 (or successor) which is the only bluetooth transceiver hardware officially supported by Apple (it's essentially the same as the built-in hardware)

Tommyg117
Jul 24, 2006, 05:49 PM
I thought they already had one. Oh well, I bought the wireless regular bluetooth mouse but I never use it for my powerbook.

mduser63
Jul 24, 2006, 05:51 PM
The user's manual is available on the FCC website (I think it's linked from tuaw.com). Anyway, according to the user's manual, it's a laser mouse in addition to being wireless.

LaMerVipere
Jul 24, 2006, 05:52 PM
The Might Mouse is the worst piece of crap Apple has ever released. Everyone knows it!

The only reason anyone would buy this thing is because of blind Apple brand loyalty.

ro2nie
Jul 24, 2006, 05:55 PM
I hope this mouse has more customization features than the current mighty mouse.

noservice2001
Jul 24, 2006, 05:56 PM
gee wiz apple... 1 whole year? frick, and i just bought the logitech wireless desktop...

MattyMac
Jul 24, 2006, 06:04 PM
Better list my current bluetooth mouse on ebay now:D

sunfast
Jul 24, 2006, 06:06 PM
At long bl**dy last! If it doesn't cost the earth they can stick me down for one.

JesterJJZ
Jul 24, 2006, 06:12 PM
Has the lag problem been fixed at all on the BT mice? Last time I used a BT mouse I found it to be useless. Unless it's JUST LIKE using a wired mouse I really could care less for it.

schatten
Jul 24, 2006, 06:25 PM
I'm so glad I held out before buying the wired one! hooray!

Philberttheduck
Jul 24, 2006, 06:25 PM
Splendid. Too bad it doesn't come standard with laptops. erhm.. portable computers..

idea_hamster
Jul 24, 2006, 06:28 PM
Gotta say that I'm not impressed.

AA batteries = stupid. Period.

I'm not a big fan of the Kensington studio mouse, but the charging cradle is ideal. Done for the night? Stick your mouse in the dock and forget about the batteries.

I think the general Mighty Mouse is pretty good (although the lift-index-finger-to-right-click is substandard -- just try to explain that to a non-computer person). The wireless version would have been quite good with a recharger.

Oh, well... :rolleyes:

cr2sh
Jul 24, 2006, 06:29 PM
(Looks at watch)

Is it time for another ****** apple mouse already?

Infinity
Jul 24, 2006, 06:36 PM
I don't care much for a bluetoothed version of this P.O.S.
At the moment the Mighty mouse has heaps of potential to be a great mouse if only Apple fixes the current issues it encounters such as sometimes not being able to scroll downwards, erratically activating expose (side buttons) when I don't even have my fingers near there and other few quirks....

Now if its going to be bluethooth, it'll be harder to tell whether its the mouse or the bluetooth faulting.

longofest
Jul 24, 2006, 06:40 PM
In case you didn't notice:

Update: According to a picture of a preliminary product manual obtained by AppleInsider (http://www.appleinsider.com/article.php?id=1909), the new wireless Mighty Mouse will use Laser tracking in place of the Optical tracking system the current USB Mighty Mouse uses. Laser-based mice typically are more accurate and less prone to errors on extremely smooth surfaces.

Doctor Q
Jul 24, 2006, 06:40 PM
The only reason anyone would buy this thing is because of blind Apple brand loyalty.Not quite true. Some of us bought 'em for sensible reasons: Apple products are usually of good quality, and initial reviews of this mouse were very favorable. Only later did the many reports about sticking problems show up.

bep207
Jul 24, 2006, 06:41 PM
anyone know how long it usually takes from FCC to retail?

longofest
Jul 24, 2006, 06:42 PM
gee wiz apple... 1 whole year? frick, and i just bought the logitech wireless desktop...

I have a Logitech Wireless MX 1000, and I love it, and wouldn't trade it for the world, and especially wouldn't trade it for a wireless Mighty Mouse.

A USB Mighty Mouse came with my G5, and I just stick it in my laptop case so I can have a backup mouse so i don't have to use the trackpad when I travel. I figure that's about all its good for when you have a really high-quality mouse like the MX 1000 laying around :-)

Silentwave
Jul 24, 2006, 06:52 PM
Yep, and me, I'm NOT coming back from my Logitech MX 1000 Laser. Mighty Mouse is only serving during those 30 or so min a week when the MX (http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/products/features/opticaltopics/AR/EN,CRID=2090) is charging, and that's 30 min too long.

You'll get no argument from me here. Been using the MX-1000 since my PC days and love it to death. My trackpad sees the use isntead of a MM, but same feelings :)

But I can see Steve Jobs announcing the improved bluetooth MM:

It's WWDC and he's in the middle of his stevenote. he 'accidentally hits something' and messes something or other up. He acts angry and yanks the MM away from its cord.
The cord just pops off and he pulls it out of hte USB port.

Then he keeps on using it as if nothing happened.

"oh, and we have the new bluetooth mighty mouse available now!

MacRumoron
Jul 24, 2006, 06:56 PM
after buying the regular mighty mouse, i will definitely not be buying this one :mad:

it is just way too uncomfortable for me

penter
Jul 24, 2006, 07:00 PM
i always wondered why they were taking so long to release this.....
doesnt seem like an amazing feat for it to have taken such a long time.
who agrees? yup, i think most of us do.
now lets see about these prices...

Clive At Five
Jul 24, 2006, 07:06 PM
And this is exactly why we will know in advance the arrival of the iPhone. If the FCC must approve it, someone will find the filling online a month before its release.

As for the mouse itself, I reiterate that the Mighty Mouse is a crippled piece of hardware. My Kensington wireless studio mouse has served me well for the past two years. What is Apple's problem with making hard-to-use mice then supposedly "innovating" them into seemingly MORE unbearable creatures?!

I'd like a simple two-button mouse with a simple scroll wheel. Is that so much to ask, Apple?

-Clive

4God
Jul 24, 2006, 07:09 PM
It's about time, I'll get one the day they become available.

longofest
Jul 24, 2006, 07:12 PM
You'll get no argument from me here. Been using the MX-1000 since my PC days and love it to death. My trackpad sees the use isntead of a MM, but same feelings :)

But I can see Steve Jobs announcing the improved bluetooth MM:

It's WWDC and he's in the middle of his stevenote. he 'accidentally hits something' and messes something or other up. He acts angry and yanks the MM away from its cord.
The cord just pops off and he pulls it out of hte USB port.

Then he keeps on using it as if nothing happened.

"oh, and we have the new bluetooth mighty mouse available now!

that's at least 3 MX-1000 users we have that are well-satisfied :-)

TheAnswer
Jul 24, 2006, 07:21 PM
I love my Mighty Mouse, and I even bought a second one after I accidently fried one (put one of the interior connections in backwards, doh!) after a deep cleaning session. Too bad it looks like they couldn't figure out how to place the batteries directly under the scroll ball and expose the scroll ball workings a bit more to make it easier to go it with some canned air and a q-tip and degunkify it.

Silentwave
Jul 24, 2006, 07:36 PM

Yeah, its rather like an Apple computer: it works and works well. Plus it has nifty little features and all.

When I first got my MBP, I think the software was not Universal, but they made it UB shortly afterwards, so I was using programmed buttons in no time. It really is easier than ctrl-click though sometimes I still do that out of recently developed instinct :)

Stella
Jul 24, 2006, 07:39 PM

+1 more!
MX-1000 are great, and very comfortable

KindredMAC
Jul 24, 2006, 07:45 PM
awesome news that they are going with a different sendor for tracking!!!!!

kskill
Jul 24, 2006, 07:50 PM
i'm on my second mighty mouse [soon to be third once i have this once replaced] in 6 months. the scroll wheel stops working pretty quickly. i don't find the size of it all too comfortable.. but when it's fully functional it's a decent mouse.

if they don't fix the scroll wheel issues though, i'd say the BT version is worthless. it's unacceptable that apple hasn't fixed this issue on the wired version. they can replace it all they want, it's still going to break a month or two later. plus, it takes 30 minutes or so for them to replace it, which is rather annoying.

all in all, cool that it's BT now, but terrible if they don't fix both versions.

purelithium
Jul 24, 2006, 07:52 PM
Damnit! 3 Weeks after I buy my regular mighty mouse...

Jesus
Jul 24, 2006, 07:54 PM
I love this image, it is sooooo over the top for one mouse. If it was even a mac mini it would look more appropriate, but a mouse on a table with white paneling on all sides is in my opinion really idiotic.

http://images.appleinsider.com/mm-bluetooth-fcc15.jpg

mrkgoo
Jul 24, 2006, 07:55 PM
I bought a Mighty Mouse when it first came out.

Personally, I love it. I do have clicking issues, but not the same as others - where others fins it accidentally left clicks when they try to right-click, I used to get right clicks when I tried left - but after a long time of use, I have learnt to use it as I need.

The scroll ball is awesome, but does seem to fail occasionally...a bit of dampness ont eh ball fixes this though.

Mac Rules
Jul 24, 2006, 07:58 PM
Finally!!! I've been waiting for this! Now right clicking just got a whole lot easier on a Mac :D

Cheers

Whistleway
Jul 24, 2006, 08:01 PM
This is downright silly that a 50bil dollar company can't get a freaking mouse right nor the ability to scroll or right click. No wonder they are turning off a lot of people.

Different is good when it has a purpose. Just had to do everything apple way and cost a gazillion dollars for a decent mouse. It is way too much for me to take, even if it is APPLE. There i said it !!

iMikeT
Jul 24, 2006, 08:08 PM
After seeing the update along with the photos, I'm really going to have to fight the urge to get one of these.

What makes it worse is that I will have to purchase a Bluetooth dongle.

AoWolf
Jul 24, 2006, 08:09 PM
So it got bluetooth and a laser? Eh no thanks I have heard many bad things and have only had bad experience with this mouse. Ill keep my razer.

JoeG4
Jul 24, 2006, 08:18 PM
Sweet! When is it coming out? >_> I'd love one to replace my Mx700

PharmD
Jul 24, 2006, 08:22 PM
I been meaning to free up a USB port and this may be the way to do it.

iEric
Jul 24, 2006, 08:23 PM
HOOK ME UP!! my stupid ms bluetooth wireless is dying and this will be the answer.

this conference will probably be one of the best!!

MrCrowbar
Jul 24, 2006, 08:28 PM
I like my G5 (the logitech mouse) for the laser, amount of buttons (the wheel has 3 clicks), the extra weight (you don't know you need it until you have it) and the smooth teflon pads on the bottom that make every other mouse feel like crap (stick to the table) when you move it. I just wish there were drivers for Mac. USB overdrive is ok, but I don't get the full 2000 dpi and the speed is still too low for my liking (everyone says I'm crazy with my mouse speed :p ). I have to reach across a 20" screen with less than an inch of mouse movement with no acceleration. It works under windows, dammit! If anyone has a solution for me, PM me please.

Maybe I'll get in of those Bluetooth "M5". I love that it works with AA batteries since I would hate having to charge my laptop, cell phone, iPod AND my mouse. Laser uses less battery power than the optical thing by the way so battery time should be good.

MacCheetah3
Jul 24, 2006, 08:34 PM
Hi
otherwise identical to the current model and its touch-sensitive cover
No it's not! While I to believed this based on what the Mighty Mouse product page (http://www.apple.com/mightymouse/), they are very much mechanical. I was thinking "touch senstive" = touchpad. But one must certainly press down on each side like a non-Apple multi-button mouse for it to activate.

Sorry...A little venting.

spyderracer393
Jul 24, 2006, 08:48 PM
I voted negative on this story. As I was hoping that Apple would concentrate on fixing the sticking scrollbars on the current Mighty Mouses, (or make it easier to open them and clean) before they just made it wireless.

well, is it possible that they have fixed the issues, we don't know, so don't make suppositions.

Second, if you don't like batteries, go out and buy some lithium-ion AA batteries, they are pretty cheap and work great.

Bear
Jul 24, 2006, 08:51 PM
If the button mechanism of the BT Mighty Mouse is identical to the original Mighty Mouse, I for one will not be getting it.

Since my most recent Mac purchase came with a Mighty Mouse, I tried it - it sucked. To right click, you needed to have your finger off the left button long enough for the sensor under it to register you've removed your finger - even if you weren't pressing down.

If I was writing a reviw of the original Might Mouse, this is the headline I'd use:

Apple's [Not So] Mighty Mouse - The Mighty [Sucky] Mouse
This mighty mouse won't save anyone's day...

macsnjets
Jul 24, 2006, 09:21 PM
How bad do I really need this mouse ? I thought it might be a nice addition to my MBP but I have a logitech BT mouse which works fine. Two buttons, a scroll wheel and good battery life. Should I just save my $$$ for the next iPod ?

JackSYi
Jul 24, 2006, 09:56 PM
I would like a bluetooth mouse, however, changing the batteries is such a hassle.

ezekielrage_99
Jul 24, 2006, 10:02 PM
About time we get a wireless more than 1 button mouse from Apple, I am still suprised it has taken then this long.

mikes63737
Jul 24, 2006, 10:11 PM
It doesn't look like the right click problem has been addressed - the top looks like it uses the same guts as the regular MM, because I had to take mine apart 3 times to clean it.

Well, obviously, I think it's gonna be just as bad.

MacCheetah3
Jul 24, 2006, 10:25 PM
Hi
1) I don't see the right / left clicking complaint to be valid. It does work differently than a three peice ( two button / rest of shell ) mouse but all it takes is some getting use to. It isn't a design flaw, as far as my opinion goes

2) The scroll ball is a design flaw to an extent but not overly difficult to fix. It simply gets 'greasy' from hand oils, ... Normally using "just enough" rubbing alcohol on a cloth or paper towel and [vigorously] rolling the MM upside down on it with the scroll ball cleans and dislodges any "gunk" buildup. Tedious and one shouldn't have to do it but I've never seen a mouse that stays perfectly clean with 'normal' use.

ClimbingTheLog
Jul 24, 2006, 10:27 PM

Bah, I upgraded to the USB model after both generations of ADB models finally bit the dust.

I'd love to get the thing wireless so I can leave it on my desk and show up with my iBook and use it. Same for a full-sized keyboard.

Has anybody seen a Bluetooth to USB adapter that can present a USB keyboard and mouse to a Bluetooth computer? You'd think such a thing should exist, but I've searched high and low. Complicating things is that there are thousands of USB to Bluetooth adapters that give a host computer Bluetooth functionality which clutter the google results.

No need for battery powered either, I want a USB keyboard and mouse into one end, power into the other, and Bluetooth out an antenna. I have to believe somebody in Taiwan is churning these out.

Atlasland
Jul 24, 2006, 10:47 PM
Well, I'm still glad I bought the Logitech S530 mouse to replace my Apple BT mouse. Why?...

Apple's wireless mouse is an ergonomic nighmare, unlike the logitech. My hand hurt after 30 minutes of use on the Apple BT mouse. And the wireless MM would have had the same ergonomics.

The logitech also has 8 programable buttons, the Apple wireless MM will only have 2 (with 1 possibly not working very well!).

My Apple wirless mouse guzzled power like a fat man drinking soda. The premium Duracell batteries I used in that thing lasted for 2 weeks, at best. My RF Logitech mouse is expected to last 6 months on the batteries that came with it!

Also my mouse is Laser. Though I've heard this wireless MM might be laser too.

The Logitech looks good. Okay, so does the apple.

I conceed that Apple's BT mouse will have better range than the RF Logitech mouse. However that increased range comes with massive power consumption - not worth the trade off IMHO.

Apple's mouse will probably be £35. The Logitech is £50 (from Cancom) - and that includes a bloody nice keyboard.

So, in conclusion - get the S530 instead!

http://www.logitech.com/lang/images/0/12135.jpg.

http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/products/details/US/EN,CRID=2162,CONTENTID=11420
http://www.cancomuk.com/products/searchresults.lasso?code=58886

andrewm
Jul 24, 2006, 11:03 PM
I may be one of the few these days to dislike his Mighty Mouse. I find the clicking to be unresponsive compared with my Kensington Bluetooth two-button mouse, and I had trouble getting used to it even after a month of use.

Additionally, my scroll ball after awhile started to not catch on its sensors--it'd spin without moving the scrollers on the screen. I don't know whether it just collected junk or whether it's a real defect in my particular mouse, but either way a lack of scrolling made the mouse unusable.

Oh, well--here's hoping that Apple will come up with a real second button, or more of a second-button feel, in the future.

I also speculate that Apple will completely replace their normal mice with the Mighty Mouse models... both wired and Bluetooth. It simply makes no sense to maintain two separate product lines that both function as single-button mice by default. Just my half-cent worth.

mrblah
Jul 24, 2006, 11:49 PM
Is Apples Bluetooth tech anywhere near as completely useless as Logitech's bluetooth mouse tech?

I have a DiNovo bluetooth set and the mouse (suprisingly the most expensive mouse they sell) is almost criminally bad. If this represents the bluetooth signal as a whole for mouse movement then why in gods name is Apple making this? I cant even use my Logitech BT mouse because it only works normally for 10 minutes before it freaks out or just stops trying, I have to stick with RF from them (which is flawless).

ezekielrage_99
Jul 24, 2006, 11:49 PM

http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/products/details/US/EN,CRID=2162,CONTENTID=11420

I got one of those a few weeks ago and it rocks, Apple keyboard and mouses just don't compete.

kiriad
Jul 25, 2006, 12:55 AM
I have a MX-1000, but I'm thinking of buying this BT Mighty Mouse. I agree that MX-1000 is a pretty good mouse, and I don't have much complaint in terms of its functionalities. However, unlike others here, I hate that cradle. I bought a wireless mouse because I didn't like clutters. But this thing has TWO cords dangling on the back, and it takes up valuable desktop space. I find this actually bothers me more than the wire of a wired mouse sometimes.

I know for others those two more wires on the back and small desktop space might be nothing to complain about. But, to me, it's really annoying. And with my new MBP, it's simply not an option to carry that cardle around. Right now I use an RF receiver from another Logitech mouse I have, and use the cradle only for recharge. But even that small receiver is annoying when you have to move around, since my MBP won't fit into sleeve with that thing attached.

So, a BT mouse with standard battery is a perfect fit to me. I don't mind lifting index finger for right click much, since I'm already doing that most of the time any way, although I wish the mouse surface were pressure sensitive rather than simply touch sensitive.

Lollypop
Jul 25, 2006, 01:11 AM
Is Apples Bluetooth tech anywhere near as completely useless as Logitech's bluetooth mouse tech?

I have a DiNovo bluetooth set and the mouse (suprisingly the most expensive mouse they sell) is almost criminally bad. If this represents the bluetooth signal as a whole for mouse movement then why in gods name is Apple making this? I cant even use my Logitech BT mouse because it only works normally for 10 minutes before it freaks out or just stops trying, I have to stick with RF from them (which is flawless).

I had one bluetooth mouse, macalley I think, threw it away very fast, also had one of the first logitech cordless desktop sets, worked like a charm, only down side was the need for some dongle, I would love a cordless keyboard and mouse that doesnt need a dongle, hence bluetooth, but Im going to read a dozen reviews first before I even try anything bluetooth again. Lets hope apple fixes the problems they had with corded MM.... :o

tominated
Jul 25, 2006, 01:29 AM
about bloody time!

odedia
Jul 25, 2006, 01:30 AM
Laser tracking is excellent. I use the Logitech MX1000 and it's perfect.

However, the real problem with the mighty mouse is not the technology, it's the materials. The plastic is too "sticky" to work with, so when moving the mouse the feeling is not smooth. They should change the substances to allow a better flow of the mouse on a given surface.

Bern
Jul 25, 2006, 01:50 AM
At last, I've been waiting for this since the Mighty Mouse was announced. I still don't understand why Apple didn't release a BT version in the first place. Maybe a WWDC announcement??

JFreak
Jul 25, 2006, 02:15 AM
Please let this be true. I want to get rid of all non-locking connectors, and this is just what the doctor ordered...

citi
Jul 25, 2006, 02:58 AM
Everyone keeps talking about the fact that their logitech and other mice have lasers but those are all RF mice. Correct me I am wrong, but I have NEVER seen a stand alone BT mouse with laser, (except for the DiNovo combo - but you can't buy them seperatel only optical. If it's true, than apple has another hit on their hands. Still don't know if I would buy one though.

eddx
Jul 25, 2006, 05:00 AM
i hope it comes in white/black/aluminium (silver plastic?) variations.

I totally agree!

I want to see pro keyboard / mice combos (in silver / aluminium) - back light keyboard, thinner - matches the pro laptops and desktops. And then black / white versions for the consumer range. It would look professional to have a cinema display with my macbook pro and have a bluetooth keyboard & mighty mouse set that for once matched the design in terms of colour at least.

GilGrissom
Jul 25, 2006, 05:35 AM
Arrrh I've been waiting for one of these for ages! I gave up and got a standard Apple Wireless Mouse a few months back! Arrgh!

I hope they have improved some of the small glitches people have with them, making it generally a nicer product, as I know some people totally hate its guts!

Different colour variations might be interesting, but the laser technology seems a step in the right direction at least, showing they have at least put a bit of thought into it and not just made the standard one with a bluetooth transceiver and batteries.

Heres to hoping its a top notch product!

I'm gonna guess it's gonna be very much a premium mouse on price too!

ejl10
Jul 25, 2006, 06:30 AM
The Might Mouse is the worst piece of crap Apple has ever released. Everyone knows it!

The only reason anyone would buy this thing is because of blind Apple brand loyalty.

That and the fact that it matches my iMac better than any other mouse. But still, I'll use my Logitech wired until Apple can come up with a decent mouse. Form only gets you so far.

dayne33
Jul 25, 2006, 07:52 AM
Weird, I just checked the apple store for any product updates, and sure enough there was the mighty mouse on display with the caption, "the mighty mouse has lost its tail" or something along those lines. Was going to report it, but when I went to provide the link, it was GONE. Anyway, a release is probably imminent.

Oh and for those worried about the price, it was priced at $69.

EDIT: It's back up on the Apple Store site. caption was wrong, but hey I tried...

mambodancer
Jul 25, 2006, 07:53 AM
On Anandtech (http://www.dailytech.com/article.aspx?newsid=3475)
Apple just posted the announcement on their site. I've got credit card in hand and my order is on the way!!!

nsutt22
Jul 25, 2006, 07:57 AM
I want one! I want one!

NATO
Jul 25, 2006, 08:06 AM
Seemingly the US Store is the only one to feature the Wireless Mighty Mouse so far, my Credit Card is quivering in fear of the UK Store being updated :p

Chaszmyr
Jul 25, 2006, 08:07 AM
Seemingly the US Store is the only one to feature the Wireless Mighty Mouse so far, my Credit Card is quivering in fear of the UK Store being updated :p

It's possible that the device has not yet been approved in other countries, and Apple rushed the release because it leaked yesterday.

Mac_Freak
Jul 25, 2006, 08:08 AM
Hey, Bluetooth MM can operate on 1 or 2 AA batteries. :eek:
Does this mean we will get a longer battery live than the previous one?

Chaszmyr
Jul 25, 2006, 08:12 AM
Hey, Bluetooth MM can operate on 1 or 2 AA batteries. :eek:
Does this mean we will get a longer battery live than the previous one?

By "previous one" I'm assuming you mean the Wireless one button mouse and not the wired Mighty Mouse, seeing as wired mice don't use batteries. Simple answer, it's possible, but I wouldn't bet on getting better battery life.

I think it's a kind of weird feature, personally. If they did it because they thought maybe sometimes you'd have just one battery lying around, that would be fine... but they say it's to make it lighter... Batteries are heavy in bulk, but a single AA battery has no significant weight, imo.

CEAbiscuit
Jul 25, 2006, 08:12 AM
I wonder if it will moo?;)

tny
Jul 25, 2006, 08:17 AM
It's possible that the device has not yet been approved in other countries, and Apple rushed the release because it leaked yesterday.

More likely Apple leaked it on purpose to build excitement for the release. Anyway, my Mighty Hamster is on the way.

KindredMAC
Jul 25, 2006, 08:18 AM
They ditched all signs of the BT regular mouse!

Chaszmyr
Jul 25, 2006, 08:20 AM
They ditched all signs of the BT regular mouse!

Excellent, this means the myth about Macs not using multi-button mice will be forever vanquished.

7on
Jul 25, 2006, 08:21 AM
I would like one, maybe convince my mom to buy me one... I'll give her my old 1-buttoner :-p

Phatpat
Jul 25, 2006, 08:21 AM
I'm still wondering about battery life.

And they list the wired as Windows compatible, but not the new bluetooth version. Any reason it wouldn't work on Windows?

Stridder44
Jul 25, 2006, 08:23 AM
But will the corded Mighty Mouse get laser too?

Collin973
Jul 25, 2006, 08:23 AM
I'd love one of these. Perfect! No cords, mighty mouse design, which is awesome, and i've always wished they'd make one of these. I can't wait to order one when their out. They'll compliment my mbp nicely :D

7on
Jul 25, 2006, 08:24 AM
I'm still wondering about battery life.

And they list the wired as Windows compatible, but not the new bluetooth version. Any reason it wouldn't work on Windows?

Any reason anything works in windows?

dextertangocci
Jul 25, 2006, 08:24 AM
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!

I JUST bought an Apple BT mouse!!!!:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :( :rolleyes:

Now I can't sell it anymore for a good price:(

AAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!

Kardashian
Jul 25, 2006, 08:25 AM
Not sure if this has been posted, but do you think it will come in Black, for the MB users? (and possible iMac users)

Kardashian
Jul 25, 2006, 08:26 AM
Now I can't sell it anymore for a good price:(

eBay people are dumb.. sell NOW! People come on here, a Mac forum, still asking when the transition to Intel is gonna start.

You'll be fine, believe me LOL.

MacSA
Jul 25, 2006, 08:29 AM
Did the US Apple Store go offline?

m-dogg
Jul 25, 2006, 08:33 AM
Does anyone know if the previous Apple BT mouse used laser? Or was it optical?

MacSA
Jul 25, 2006, 08:34 AM
http://www.macworld.co.uk/news/index.cfm?home&NewsID=15344

£49 in the UK LOL............. :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

$49 for a mouse lol

redAPPLE
Jul 25, 2006, 08:34 AM

well you could use rechargeable batteries.

Eidorian
Jul 25, 2006, 08:36 AM
Is there an education discount for the US? I can't seem to find it. At least not yet. It is listed in the Education store but at $69.

See you guys around NEXT TUESDAY.

freeny
Jul 25, 2006, 08:37 AM
Add me to that list!
Love my MX:)

chadwick
Jul 25, 2006, 08:38 AM
In response to the ebay comment, why are they seemingly so dumb? I wanted to buy a new canon lens recently and i always buy my photography equipment from B&H (probably the most reputable place on the planet) but first i looked on ebay to see if i could get a used one for a lot less. None of the auctions went for significantly less than new at B&H (especially when you factor in shipping) and at least one auction ended of about $30 more than retail. I dont get it! Don't people do ANY research?

Thataboy
Jul 25, 2006, 08:39 AM
http://www.macworld.co.uk/news/index.cfm?home&NewsID=15344

£49 in the UK LOL............. :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

$49 for a mouse lol

Just to be clear... it is USD $69. Which is NUTS. They know that people want a white BT mouse (and there aren't many currently out, if any at all) -- so I can't blame them for taking advantage of supply and demand.

But... wow. $70 for a mouse. That's... I mean.... $70 for a mouse! :)

7on
Jul 25, 2006, 08:40 AM
In response to the ebay comment, why are they seemingly so dumb? I wanted to buy a new canon lens recently and i always buy my photography equipment from B&H (probably the most reputable place on the planet) but first i looked on ebay to see if i could get a used one for a lot less. None of the auctions went for significantly less than new at B&H (especially when you factor in shipping) and at least one auction ended of about $30 more than retail. I dont get it! Don't people do ANY research?

nope

redAPPLE
Jul 25, 2006, 08:41 AM
It's about time. But I've had a wireless mouse/keyboard set when I got my iMac G5 Rev. A back in the day, and I quickly got rid of it. I was sick and tired of changing the damn batteries every few weeks. I never mouse or type away from my desk, so I had no use for it, and I'd rather have the ugly wires than deal with the annoyance of buying/changing batteries often. Now, if they were rechargeable (in a dock, I don't want to have to take them out and put them in a seperate charger), I could see using them.

apple could use firewire cables (like the iPods) to recharge wireless keyboards and mice.

long live firewire.

cr2sh
Jul 25, 2006, 08:45 AM
In response to the ebay comment, why are they seemingly so dumb? ... Don't people do ANY research?

Please try to keep posts on topic. :o :confused:

I bought a kensington wireless mouse/keyboard combo yesterday for my PC. There's no chance of me returning it for this thing... I've got the wired MM and its flakey enough as it is.

Stridder44
Jul 25, 2006, 08:46 AM
Just to be clear... it is USD $69. Which is NUTS. They know that people want a white BT mouse (and there aren't many currently out, if any at all) -- so I can't blame them for taking advantage of supply and demand.

But... wow. $70 for a mouse. That's... I mean.... $70 for a mouse! :)

Yeah no kidding. If it's one thing that NEVER wowed me in the Apple department it's the Mice. Always very expensive and ok at best. Mac keyboards are great however!

And for those of you who bought the expensive, one-button bluetooth mouse, sorry but...what the hell were you thinking!?

milo
Jul 25, 2006, 08:50 AM

You're trolling, right?

And don't forget...Apple is including the MM with the G5's and iMacs. That's why I have one, and I wish all my computers have one.

I love this image, it is sooooo over the top for one mouse. If it was even a mac mini it would look more appropriate, but a mouse on a table with white paneling on all sides is in my opinion really idiotic.

You do realize that's a shot inside a lab somewhere, not a posed publicity image, right?

Wonder how much the upgrade will be for iMac/tower buyers. And will it be a bundle with the BT keyboard, or available separately?

7on
Jul 25, 2006, 08:53 AM
Yeah no kidding. If it's one thing that NEVER wowed me in the Apple department it's the Mice. Always very expensive and ok at best. Mac keyboards are great however!

And for those of you who bought the expensive, one-button bluetooth mouse, sorry but...what the hell were you thinking!?

I bought mine on eBay for $30.

mkjj
Jul 25, 2006, 08:55 AM
Notice the new MM BT works from one OR two batteries, that's clever!

Kardashian
Jul 25, 2006, 08:56 AM
ITS RELEASED!

...Just not in the UK yet! Give it a few mins...

But judging by the US price its gonna be a good £50+ :eek:

Kardashian
Jul 25, 2006, 08:59 AM
Oh... I was right!

£49 for a mouse. Wonderful. If this was a brand new design, with new features, never been done before, give me 2.

Sadly, Apple aren't exactly leading the way with mice, so they shouldn't be able to charge these prices! :mad:

mkjj
Jul 25, 2006, 09:00 AM
But judging by the US price its gonna be a good £50+ :eek:

£49 inc VAT. not too bad, my original BT mouse was £59 when first released, just remember the old days of Mac mice and KB's, £250 for the Adjustable Keyboard!!! even a basic was £50!

Chundles
Jul 25, 2006, 09:02 AM
On the Software part of the wireless MM page, there is a picture that shows a stack of new options and a slightly redesigned preference pane - I hope those options aren't wireless-only, I just plugged in my MM and they aren't there.

Software Update coming??

Kardashian
Jul 25, 2006, 09:03 AM
£250 for the Adjustable Keyboard!!! even a basic was £50!

Your kidding?

PS: Maybe I can get an Edu discount on it, also.

killuminati
Jul 25, 2006, 09:15 AM
First of all, I think this should have been released at most a couple months after the introduction of the Mighty Mouse. Taking a year to give it BT capabilities is ridiculous.

And $70 for a ****ing mouse is absurd. Doesn't look like I'll be buying anymore mice from apple.

mkjj
Jul 25, 2006, 09:16 AM
Your kidding?

http://homepage.mac.com/markjjohnson/.cv/markjjohnson/Sites/.Pictures/Collection/AdjKey.jpg-thumb_140_105.jpg

May have been $250! released in 1992, earliest UK price I can find (old MacFormat 1996) it was still £149 GBP and that was 4 years after release

craigatkinson
Jul 25, 2006, 09:17 AM
Nope, I checked. No educational discount on the mighty mouse. :(

Your kidding?

PS: Maybe I can get an Edu discount on it, also.

Agurri
Jul 25, 2006, 09:18 AM
Ok ok , I havent read alll the 7 other pages but ... I noticed something on the mouse description :

Bluetooth technology, ultimate portability

With its secure, reliable Bluetooth technology, wireless Mighty Mouse goes wherever you do. Pair it with any Bluetooth-enabled Mac to work untethered and uncluttered at your desk or on the go, and it operates with either one or two AA batteries — no bulky dock required.

I thought it was an error ... but no . Yoiu can either use 1 or 2 batteries ... isnt that cool. So, if you are like me, when your wireless mouse is dying ... and you can only find 1 bat. that is cool :D:)

Jul 25, 2006, 09:21 AM
ordered mine, the regular mm will go to another computer in the house.

Should be here around aug 8th :)

joshwest
Jul 25, 2006, 09:21 AM
Just went to the store online and they are out.. Whos gonna pick one up?

Eidorian
Jul 25, 2006, 09:24 AM
On the Software part of the wireless MM page, there is a picture that shows a stack of new options and a slightly redesigned preference pane - I hope those options aren't wireless-only, I just plugged in my MM and they aren't there.

Software Update coming??That's the normal Mighty Mouse pane. It changes to that when you're using one. I can see you've never used one...

DavidLeblond
Jul 25, 2006, 09:25 AM
Huh, I notice "Wireless keyboard and mouse" is no longer an option for BTO iMac... thats odd. You'd think they'd at least keep the regular bluetooth mouse there until they figure out what to charge for the BTO bluetooth MM.

Arcady
Jul 25, 2006, 09:25 AM
$70 for a mouse? Give me a break.

I just bought a two button scrollwheel mouse for $1.67. There's no reason for it to cost more than that. $10 is too much.

yippy
Jul 25, 2006, 09:26 AM
Finally they released it.

For those of you complaining about price. I have yet to see a bluetooth mouse for less than $45 and most are in the $70 range. Yes, wired and RF you can get cheap but Bluetooth is expensive. The price is exactly what I was expecting.

gandalf55
Jul 25, 2006, 09:29 AM
Do any of the physical Apple stores have these yet? I'm in Boston and would like to pick one up :)

Chundles
Jul 25, 2006, 09:29 AM
Current wired Mighty Mouse is $79. Single-button Wireless Mouse is $99.

The Logitech mx1000 is about $159.

I reckon we'd be looking at about $109 or if they wanted to be good about it the Wireless Mighty Mouse could come in at the $99 mark.

Not too bad really, the competition in laser wireless mouses from MS, Logitech etc are all priced similarly but the Mighty Mouse comes with some better stuff.

dextertangocci
Jul 25, 2006, 09:37 AM
Does anyone know if the previous Apple BT mouse used laser? Or was it optical?

Optical.

sluthy
Jul 25, 2006, 09:37 AM
One of my mates has a wired MM, not a real fan of the ergonomics of the Apple mice (mouses? Please deities, let's not start that debate again :p). Start to cramp my hand a fair bit after 5 minutes, very fingertip stuff compared to my Logitech Cordless Optical (no numbers, just called that). It also takes a bit of practice remembering to lift your left finger when right clicking and stuff like that, and the marble annoys me a fair bit, especially scrolling long lists in iTunes etc. Don't practice it a lot though, it may get better with time.

milo
Jul 25, 2006, 09:38 AM
$70 for a mouse? Give me a break.

I just bought a two button scrollwheel mouse for $1.67. There's no reason for it to cost more than that. $10 is too much.

Well, there is a reason...wireless (particularly bluetooth). Just because you don't want it doesn't mean other people do.

emotion
Jul 25, 2006, 09:38 AM
In the UK edu prices:
£31 for Mighty Mouse and £35 for the Bluetooth version.

Not too bad I guess. I'll be holding out for the black version though :)

Edit: Ignore the prices folks...looking at the wrong one.....doh!

emotion
Jul 25, 2006, 09:40 AM
Sluthy.
"Today a young man on acid realised that all matter is merely energy condensed into a smaller vibration, and that we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively. There's no such thing as death, life is only a dream, and we are the imagination of ourselves. Here's Tom with the weather."

You should really credit Bill Hicks with that excellent quote btw. :)

dextertangocci
Jul 25, 2006, 09:40 AM
First of all, I think this should have been released at most a couple months after the introduction of the Mighty Mouse. Taking a year to give it BT capabilities is ridiculous.

And $70 for a ****ing mouse is absurd. Doesn't look like I'll be buying anymore mice from apple.

I payed more than that for my Apple BT mouse a few days ago:mad: :rolleyes: :(

kirk26
Jul 25, 2006, 09:44 AM
I can see you've never used one...How rude.:mad:

supremedesigner
Jul 25, 2006, 09:45 AM
Strange. I check PowerMac section under store and they still don't offer wireless keyboard/wireless mouse.

That thing is cool BUT I'd rather use Wacom table though.

timnosenzo
I was thinking that I like the one button mouse, I don't like cords, and the BT one button mouse has the nicest feel of any mouse I've ever used. That's what the hell I was thinking... :rolleyes:

MattyMac
I payed more than that for my Apple BT mouse a few days ago:mad: :rolleyes: :(
Take it back!

QCassidy352
Jul 25, 2006, 09:50 AM
$70 really isn't that bad. All multi-button bluetooth mice cost a fair amount.

That said, if I were going to buy a new BT mouse (which I'm not, because my 2.5 year old MS one is still kicking) I'd get the radtech BT600 because it has more buttons and can recharge with usb. (it's $60 btw... same range)

NATO
Jul 25, 2006, 09:51 AM
In the UK edu prices:
£31 for Mighty Mouse and £35 for the Bluetooth version.

Not too bad I guess. I'll be holding out for the black version though :)

I've been checking the UK store (Higher Ed + Normal) since the announcement, the Wireless Mighty Mouse is still not up there. Are you sure you're not confusing the Mighty Mouse with the wired one? ( The Wired Mighty Mouse is is £31.73 H.E, £35.00 Retail)

Plus, I think we've already had a link to MacWorld showing the price at £49.99

Mustafa
Jul 25, 2006, 09:51 AM
Under System Requirements it doesn't mention Windows. Does this mean......?

mhuk01
Jul 25, 2006, 09:52 AM
is it just me being stupid? i can't find it on the uk store or uk education store.

i cancelled my bluetooth mouse order this morning (with a macbook) coz of this, and now i can't even add the mighty mouse coz its not on the site!

Eidorian
Jul 25, 2006, 09:56 AM
How rude.:mad:All that I have is Apple Store experience and testing one at work. We did get a Software Update for it but back in 10.4.2 for the wired one.

Kirbdog
Jul 25, 2006, 09:58 AM
Just placed my order. Saved $8 with education discount but shipping cost 6 cause it took the price below the free shipping limit. What to do with the 2 bucks I saved by being thrifty!
Now I will have 2 computers and 4 mouse's (1BT, 2 wired MT's and 1 BT MT). Lucky I have friends that will take my hand me downs. :)
Shipping in 6-8 weeks in Canada, I will have forgot I ordered it by the time it arrives.

sam10685
Jul 25, 2006, 09:58 AM
one battery? how does that work?

emotion
Jul 25, 2006, 10:00 AM
I've been checking the UK store (Higher Ed + Normal) since the announcement, the Wireless Mighty Mouse is still not up there. Are you sure you're not confusing the Mighty Mouse with the wired one? ( The Wired Mighty Mouse is is £31.73 H.E, £35.00 Retail)

Sorry for the confusion, see my edit above.

mhuk01
Jul 25, 2006, 10:04 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by NATO

well it must be available in the uk if macworld have a price, they just haven't updated the store. did the US and canada stores go down before it launched?

Agurri
Jul 25, 2006, 10:05 AM

Heck I don't know ...

Chundles
Jul 25, 2006, 10:05 AM
That's the normal Mighty Mouse pane. It changes to that when you're using one. I can see you've never used one...

Um, I'm using one right now. The preference pane shown on the site is different to the preference pane I have.

Here's the site:
http://img295.imageshack.us/img295/3538/picture1nt4.png

Here's the one from my Sys Prefs:
http://img503.imageshack.us/img503/4670/picture2xc7.png

Might want to get your eyes tested cause you're not seeing too well.

mhuk01
Jul 25, 2006, 10:07 AM
look at the bottom of http://www.apple.com/mightymouse

what's this?

Mighty Mouse © Viacom International Inc. All Rights Reserved.

i thought apple made them :S

NATO
Quote:
well it must be available in the uk if macworld have a price, they just haven't updated the store. did the US and canada stores go down before it launched?

We know... it's just that Apple are taking their time to update the store. Quite interested in getting this ordered, I hope the Laser tracking means I can finally ditch my mousemat :)

Chundles

Low power drain, it can run on one battery but runs longer on two. Might also be nice for those who found the old ones too heavy.

Chundles
Jul 25, 2006, 10:08 AM

what's this?

Never heard of the cartoon character Mighty Mouse (Here he comes to save the daaaaaaayyyyyyyyy!!!!!). Apple had to license the name from Viacom.

QCassidy352
Jul 25, 2006, 10:08 AM
oh, I forgot to mention one good thing about this mouse. Presumably it will work correctly with the option "allow bluetooth devices to wake this computer." 3rd party mice wake the computer up over and over ever since 10.4.6 when that option is checked. Of course, it would be nicer if apple would just fix their stupid OS version so that all BT mice worked correctly and not just their own... :rolleyes:

7on
Jul 25, 2006, 10:11 AM

what's this?

http://www.gavinshearer.com/photos/weblog/2005_08_09_mightymouse.jpg

sreedy
Jul 25, 2006, 10:11 AM

Does this require "line of sight" to the USB receiver?

twoodcc
Jul 25, 2006, 10:12 AM
Never heard of the cartoon character Mighty Mouse (Here he comes to save the daaaaaaayyyyyyyyy!!!!!). Apple had to license the name from Viacom.

LOL! i remember that cartoon. haha, i think i might still have a vhs tape somewhere

Clive At Five
Jul 25, 2006, 10:15 AM
And this is exactly why we will know in advance the arrival of the iPhone. If the FCC must approve it, someone will find the filling online a month before its release.

...and by a month, I meant a day

*cough*

;)

-Clive

7on
Jul 25, 2006, 10:16 AM
oh, I forgot to mention one good thing about this mouse. Presumably it will work correctly with the option "allow bluetooth devices to wake this computer." 3rd party mice wake the computer up over and over ever since 10.4.6 when that option is checked. Of course, it would be nicer if apple would just fix their stupid OS version so that all BT mice worked correctly and not just their own... :rolleyes:

3rd party mice "phone home" to the computer thus waking it up. 3rd party mice need to fix this.

GilGrissom
Jul 25, 2006, 10:18 AM
Under System Requirements it doesn't mention Windows. Does this mean......?
You're right, it doesn't.

Could just mean they haven't put that info in yet, but I'd say it's a fairly good guess that because this is now bluetooth that it won't work with XP. I think this is a bad move if true, what about all those XP users on their Macs thanks to Boot Camp? (Not sure if it would work through Parrallels).

If I didn't already buy this normal Apple Wireless Mouse I'd order one now....grrr.

Peace
Jul 25, 2006, 10:20 AM
This is great but I do have a question..
Since it's bluetooth and Apple says it works within 30 ft.What happens if you're in a starbucks and other people have bluetooth turned on ?
Will they be able to "hack" your Mighty Mouse?

macenforcer
Jul 25, 2006, 10:20 AM
Ordered!

Been waiting for this sucker.

woolfgang
Jul 25, 2006, 10:21 AM
I tried the MM that came with my last computer, and I thought it sucked. Steve Jobs is brilliant, but also stubborn. He didn't want to make a 2 button mouse, so he found a way to make a mouse that didn't actually have 2 buttons, but could work like it did. I have a Logictech that works amazingly. It's comfortable, and I can do everything really fast and easy. I think most people that do/will buy the MM, do so because it's Apple.

emotion
Jul 25, 2006, 10:23 AM
Since it's bluetooth and Apple says it works within 30 ft.What happens if you're in a starbucks and other people have bluetooth turned on ?

You need to read up on how Bluetooth pairing works. The short answer is this doesn't happen. It'd be a slightly pointless protocol if the above could happen.

Chundles
Jul 25, 2006, 10:26 AM
Anyone want to comment on the images I posted higher up on this page? Hopefully the regular Mighty Mouse will be getting the zoom functionality etc with an update to the MM drivers.

GilGrissom
Jul 25, 2006, 10:27 AM
I pressume it's no different from every other bluetooth device, other bluetooth mice, mobile phones, headsets etc etc.

There is bound to be a way, but not common place. The usual code pairing should do the trick like every other Tom, Dick and Harry (or even Alvin, Simon and Theodore!) BT device.

aafuss1
Jul 25, 2006, 10:33 AM
Microsoft has a Wireless Laser Mouse 6000-that works on PC's and is laser too-unlike Apple that won't support those trying to get the the wireless Mighty Mouse to work on a PC. And my fav-Logitech has the G7 that works quite fine on Macs.

steve_hill4
Jul 25, 2006, 10:33 AM
Finally, this is what I have been waiting for.

Not listed on UK store yet, but $69 on US store. Going by that, (being same price as shuffle), UK should be £49. Heck, that's a lot for a mouse, but only £10 more than regular BT mouse and £15 than wired MM, for that you get laser too.

Not sure how often I would use it, too comfortable with trackpad and hot corners, but I will get one anyway. Be handy for later with iMac.