Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
CNet reports that Gateway is launching an ad campaign promoting their digital-music packages -- which also promotes MP3 services, Listen.com and Emusic.com:

Dubbed "Rip, Burn, Respect"--a not-so-oblique reference to Apple's "Rip, Mix, Burn" campaign of 2002--the television ads that will saturate the United States beginning Thursday night aim mostly at showing how Gateway's digital-music packages simplify online music.

The aim of the ads appear to be to educate consumers regarding their "rights and responsibilities" with regards to digital music (and of course Gateway's offerings).

Apple has been rumored to offer their own version of an digital music download service.

shadowfax

macrumors 603
Sep 6, 2002
Houston, TX
Re: Gateway Promotes MP3 Service

i guess it would probably be too unintelligent to say "copycats!" but i feel like it anyways :)

copycats!

smashedapart

macrumors member
Mar 6, 2002
Been there, done that

Wow...a company in the final throes of death. How sad for them. Maybe if they could have done something original they wouldn't be hanging onto the cliff of bankruptcy by their fingernails...with Tweety Bird playing "This Little Piggy"...

Let's face it, Gateway has always been an also-ran.

Xero

macrumors 6502
Dec 2, 2002
Los Angeles
huh?

this seems a llittle too off topic to be on the front page...?

anyways this just seems like a another PC sales pitch type thing, nothing special.

Freg3000

macrumors 68000
Sep 22, 2002
New York
Please Apple, release this new service quickly (April 1st would be nice).

Shoot down this Gateway promotion soon; prove to the world how to do music the right way; the Apple way.

pyrotoaster

macrumors 65816
Dec 28, 2002
Oak Park, IL
I've seen the commercial. It's strange and slightly confusing. Gateway totes its special music package, but doesn't explain what it is. That's a real good way to get more customers. :rolleyes:

And why would Gateway want to copy and Apple campaign associated with the Blue Dalmatian and Flower Power iMacs? Great idea.
At least "Rip. Mix. Burn." has a cool sound to it.
"Rip. Burn. Respect." sounds disturbing, and has the words "Copy Protection" written all over it.

Frankly, Gateway had better ads when the talking cow was selling their junk (or as they like to call them, "computers"). Not that I'm complaining... it makes Apple's ads look better (it helps that Apple's running good ads). :p

zulgand04

macrumors regular
Jul 16, 2002
Northborough, MA
What is this with Gateway, seems like everything they do now is something Apple has already done aka the profile (very ugly) and now this slogin, has it come to the point where they don't have the money to get people to come up with their own ideas, im happy i never did get a gateway several years ago, but a powermac :).

neal

yumpin yiminy

macrumors member
Feb 20, 2003
Originally posted by ennerseed
If I was Gateway I would be jealous of Apple also.
odd thing is that, like Jobs said, piracy is a behavioral problem, not a tech problem. That "respect" part seems to at least imply a certain amount of acknowledgement that the problem is behavior and not just the ease of file sharing.
though, i say this and have to agree with another poster that is sounds like DRM spirit.

Hawthorne

macrumors regular
Jul 1, 2002
In front of my Mac
Gosh,

Now if only Gateway made an all-in-one LCD computer to go with it, or maybe built a lightweight laptop with a metal case or a big LCD display or something...

If imitation is the sincerest form of flattery, Apple should be blushing right now.

pilotgi

macrumors regular
Jul 22, 2002
This is not competition for Apple. Apple's rumored music service will be for Macs only.

Sol

macrumors 68000
Jan 14, 2003
Australia
Competition in business

Rip, Burn, Respect is lame.

I remember reading somewhere that in any business competing on price is what you do when there is nothing more you can offer to the customer over the competition. Dell's whole business strategy seems to be this idea of competing on price and their products show it. Was it Dell that brought out a flat-panel Windows all-in-one computer last year? Anyway, I believe that you get what you pay for and if you pay for a Dell you get a computer that is at best almost as good as the competition... which in Dell's case seems to be Apple.

MrMacMan

macrumors 604
Jul 4, 2001
1 Block away from NYC.
Originally posted by SwitchMonkey
I think Apple should respond quickly with an "Operation Liberate Gateway users" advertising campaign...

Maybe so.

Apple Legal is following the blood trail.
That title is really really lame, and a bad ripoff.
Comeon more like 'pirate, burn, steal' comeon, you all love it. ;)

Nah, I think apple legal will send a notice to Gateway saying 'Hell no or lawsuit' will come. Bad ripoff.

QCassidy352

macrumors G5
Mar 20, 2003
Bay Area
Gateway's slogan is so lame that it doesn't seem worth it to bother with a lawsuit... let 'em use it; that slogan's hardly going to get people flocking to them.

locovaca

macrumors 6502
May 14, 2002
Iowa
Re: Re: Gateway Promotes MP3 Service

Originally posted by Shadowfax
i guess it would probably be too unintelligent to say "copycats!" but i feel like it anyways :)

copycats!

While I doubt that Gateway will do things right, I would like to point out that Apple has not announced any kind of service, but was only rumored. Gateway, otoh, has announced this service. I sincerely doubt that Gateway just planned this overnight, and for all we know Apple could be copying Gateway. Gateway has been trying to make inroads into more than just computers (remember those annoying "My way" commercials that also advertise MP3 players and Plasma televisions?) and this would seem to be a continuation along that road.

I guess, since this was announced before Apple, I wouldn't just denounce Gateway as a copycat.

shadowfax

macrumors 603
Sep 6, 2002
Houston, TX
Re: Re: Re: Gateway Promotes MP3 Service

Originally posted by locovaca
While I doubt that Gateway will do things right, I would like to point out that Apple has not announced any kind of service, but was only rumored. Gateway, otoh, has announced this service. I sincerely doubt that Gateway just planned this overnight, and for all we know Apple could be copying Gateway. Gateway has been trying to make inroads into more than just computers (remember those annoying "My way" commercials that also advertise MP3 players and Plasma televisions?) and this would seem to be a continuation along that road.

I guess, since this was announced before Apple, I wouldn't just denounce Gateway as a copycat.

yep, you're right. that's why i said it was unintellligent. i was kidding! it's the classic mac lover thing to say though. you should chant it some time at MS.

iJon

macrumors 604
Feb 7, 2002
apple could care less about this. everyone knows gateway wont be around too much longer. gateway was stupid to get into the retail store business because they have to much competition. As long as dell is around gateway will crumble.

iJon

DakotaGuy

macrumors 601
Jan 14, 2002
South Dakota, USA
I live about 40 miles from Gateway Sales and Assembly in Sioux City and all the locals have been saying the company will be filing for bankruptsy before the year is over...

Did anyone ever consider the identity crisis that company has been in over the years? No wonder they are now copying Apple's marketing and product lines.

How many times can you change a logo or a name? First it was Gateway 2000 with a stylized "G" then it was changed to just Gateway with a cowbox logo, now it is Gateway with a "power switch" This is all in what 5 years? It seems that changing a logo was not working so now they are copying Apple marketing. What is next??? An "Apple" with a cow pattern?

My brother used to work for them and they are getting what they deserve for treating him like they did.

shadowfax

macrumors 603
Sep 6, 2002
Houston, TX
I have always hated gateway thoroughle=y, though i rarelyeven give them thought now except to chuckle. they truly have done a very poor job of finding even a reasonably appealing logo.

beatle888

macrumors 68000
Feb 3, 2002
Re: huh?

Originally posted by Xero
this seems a llittle too off topic to be on the front page...?

anyways this just seems like a another PC sales pitch type thing, nothing special.

i think its made the news cause its so similar to apples plans to provide an mp3 service.

Wonder Boy

macrumors 6502a
Feb 18, 2003
South Windsor, CT
And why would Gateway want to copy and Apple campaign associated with the Blue Dalmatian and Flower Power iMacs? Great idea.

I have a Blue Dalmation. it works a lot better than the Ruby DV model i had to replace. Plus I'm the only person I know with a Blue Dalmation. (maybe the only one in the apple community)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.