PDA

View Full Version : Safari Public Beta 2 Out Now...

jMc
Apr 14, 2003, 07:47 AM
Probably not the first, but...

Public Beta 2 of Safari now available-

http://www.apple.com/safari/

saint
Apr 14, 2003, 07:52 AM
Thanks. I think you were actually the first.

It's v73. Pretty impressive too.
It's got tabs & autofill, seems to be faster.

pseudobrit
Apr 14, 2003, 07:55 AM
It's in your Software Update too.

jMc
Apr 14, 2003, 07:58 AM
Yeah, unfortunately I'm stuck on my work PC till tonight - otherwise I would have posted more...

jx

DaveGee
Apr 14, 2003, 07:59 AM
I thought for sure I was going to be first... "I was 'that' close"

Safari: Speedy, Stable and Compatible... who could ask for anything more? (hmmm with Mac users, maybe I shouldn't ask that...) :D

Dave

iJon
Apr 14, 2003, 08:03 AM
does this new version fix macrumors so we can see the side stuff for the active threads.

iJon

Tiauguinho
Apr 14, 2003, 08:11 AM
Originally posted by iJon
does this new version fix macrumors so we can see the side stuff for the active threads.

iJon

Yep, its fixed now. That was a annoying bug in v71.

sphereboy
Apr 14, 2003, 08:12 AM
TABS!!! TABS!!! TABS!!! TABS!!! it's what i've been waiting for! ... oh my oh my :D

joed
Apr 14, 2003, 08:14 AM
v73 seems heaps faster than v60.

Though all my favicons have gone, so now i have to visit every bookmark to reload em! Oh well, small price to pay.

losfp
Apr 14, 2003, 08:18 AM
eyyyyyeeesssssss!!!!! :)

The best thing is that text is actually READABLE NOW!!!! :D No more blur-o-vision!

Ummm.. although... is anyone noticing all the vBulletin "reply" etc buttons aligning a bit weirdly?

Wardofsky
Apr 14, 2003, 08:27 AM
You beat me.

Damn, I thought I was unique.

I'm going now, and I may not come back.

I need to learn how to use tabbed browsing, I don't think I ever used it.

I also need to learn how to NOT press return after every sentence.

robotrenegade
Apr 14, 2003, 08:53 AM
How do you get the tabed browsing to work?

JPGR_Fan
Apr 14, 2003, 08:53 AM
Oh Yeah! Delete IE. I can now get into a secure site that previously I needed to drop back to IE to get in.

pmcaleer
Apr 14, 2003, 08:55 AM
Originally posted by robotrenegade
How do you get the tabed browsing to work?

Go to Preferences - Tabs. Then, Enable Tabbed Browsing. I too found it curious that it wasn't on by default.

buffsldr
Apr 14, 2003, 08:58 AM
Not too sure what tabbed browsing is, but it seems to be in demand. I will check it out. <Ding> Downloand is finished.

JtheLemur
Apr 14, 2003, 09:01 AM
Ehhhh... it's alriiiiiight... but the latest nightly build of Camino is tons better. It may not have autofill yet, which is a downer, but Safari can't touch it in terms of speed (loading pages nor in the interface in general).

http://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/camino/nightly/latest/

grab it and compare, you may be surprised...

Wardofsky
Apr 14, 2003, 09:15 AM
Originally posted by buffsldr
Not too sure what tabbed browsing is, but it seems to be in demand. I will check it out. <Ding> Downloand is finished.

Hell, I didn't use it before but now I need it!

Also, in terms of downloads, if you cancel a download, it doesn't delete it but instead leaves what it has downloaded.

Goekeli
Apr 14, 2003, 09:16 AM
It is still much slower than camino for me!:(
I hope they put some speed into it in the final release. It's nice to have it updated through software update!:)

Joe

Wardofsky
Apr 14, 2003, 09:18 AM
Originally posted by jMc
Yeah, unfortunately I'm stuck on my work PC till tonight - otherwise I would have posted more...

jx

You'll make it through...

davy the bunny
Apr 14, 2003, 09:21 AM
I'm stuck at work on a pc as well, jeez I can't wait? Anyone see any large differences between 71 and this 73 yet?

Thanks for the info about the downloading wardofsky, that was really annoying me on a dialup. . .

rog
Apr 14, 2003, 09:22 AM
Still lacking compared to Mozilla. It's quite a bit slower than Mozilla for me. For instance, loading the macsurfer.com page, Mozilla instantly start displaying while Safari starts to load a bit, then displays. It's an annoying delay and it does this for every site.

autofill does not work such that you can double click in a field and it will fill it in as in Mozilla.

Why can't you click in the URL field and see a list of recent URLs you typed in? I do that ALL the time.

I just don't like the bookmark system. I want to see my bookmarks in a frame and still see my browser window. I hate how Safari makes the browser window disappear when looking at bookmarks.

The scroll wheel performance is horrible and non-adjustable. It works fine in other apps for me, but is glacial in Safari. (MS intellimouse explorer and MS driver).

Also, Java doesn't work as well. Tried going to one of my favorite speed test sites, but the test window doesn't show, while it works fine in Mozilla.

Much better than before, but still not as good as Mozilla and presents no reason for me to switch.

Classic
Apr 14, 2003, 09:25 AM
First off, kudos to Apple for finally releasing Safari Beta 2. Tabbed browsing makes all the difference. It's especially cool how you can combine keyboard commands to either open links in tabs or windows in the background or foreground. I do have one question though.

Has anybody figured out the keyboard command for cycling through the tabs? You can cmd+~ to cycle through open windows, but I want to cycle through the tabs without having to use my mous to go and click on a tab itself. Anybody know how to do that?

deepkid
Apr 14, 2003, 09:25 AM
Perhaps this is unique to my installation, but all of my bookmarks are gone after installing beta 2. It looks like my bookmarks.plist file was overwritten or is located in a place where beta 2 can not find it. Will have to tackle it later tonight.

Just a heads up.

hesdeadjim
Apr 14, 2003, 09:27 AM
I feel that safari is much faster, and it seems to be render much better in this release. I'll have to use it more to see I how I truely feel about it, but it seem to came a long way from the 2-12 release (only get public beta releases).

Rincewind42
Apr 14, 2003, 09:31 AM
Originally posted by Classic
Has anybody figured out the keyboard command for cycling through the tabs? You can cmd+~ to cycle through open windows, but I want to cycle through the tabs without having to use my mous to go and click on a tab itself. Anybody know how to do that?

Check out the window menu - it's Cmd-Shift Left/Right arrow key :)

anneleonard
Apr 14, 2003, 09:34 AM
is that it renders css *much* better (most of the css in my sites weren't even picked up in an earlier version) - i even noticed before that it couldn't display the apple store UK properly! lol

the tabs are a lot better on this version, as sometimes one of the pages that i was not viewing was also highlighted, not just the tabbed page i was viewing, which was annoying. it seems faster too. i still don't know which one i'll use between this and camino though.... hmm!

Mr. Anderson
Apr 14, 2003, 09:41 AM
I like the tabs, but for some reason it seems to me as though things are taking longer to load.

Anyone else have this problem?

D

Seems its a macrumors thing, the site might be slow. Other sites are much faster....

G4scott
Apr 14, 2003, 09:56 AM
I don't know if it's just me or not, but the 'new thread' and 'post reply' buttons at the bottom of the thread appear in the center of the bar, instead of the right.

Also, when going back to other pages, and scrolling down while the page loads, when the page finishes loading, it jumps up.

The screen also jumps around when I click on a link on the sidebar at Macrumors...

punter
Apr 14, 2003, 09:57 AM
Originally posted by dukestreet
I like the tabs, but for some reason it seems to me as though things are taking longer to load.

D

Seems its a macrumors thing, the site might be slow. Other sites are much faster....

yeah macrumors is probably getting swamped right now!

Mine seems slowish. but i guess it'll take a while to properly tell. But tabs!!! I can't believe I ever lived without them!

sorry about all the "!"s. I'm excited

edit: oh cool you can stack up the downloads now, just keep downloading link to disk and it keeps up with you. before i could only have about 4 going and then i'd have to stop and wait. now it seems it will only download 4, but once their done then it will start on any others that are queued. sweet

RBMaraman
Apr 14, 2003, 10:37 AM
So far, I'm very impressed with Safari (V. 73). The tabs are great, the autofill works flawlessly, and pages are loading much faster. Camino is now officially off my iBook, and Safari is the new King in town!

The only problem I have is with MacRumors. It's loading really slow, but it's happening in all my browsers, so I assume it's because of traffic.

unc32
Apr 14, 2003, 10:40 AM
I orginally thought I had no use for tabs, but they are so convenient. I love them. Although some may think Camino is better I like the idea of having a software update automatically. For that convenience alone Safari is worth it.

mnkeybsness
Apr 14, 2003, 10:40 AM

D

everything is going extremely slow. i think my cache may have been cleared out too cause the first time i visit other sites i'm getting slow loading, but then if i go back it seems a lot faster.

but everything on macrumors is slow as dookie.

mk_in_mke
Apr 14, 2003, 10:52 AM
...though i cannot have the browser to work with some sites... I still get the message... " Do you want to use Windows Media Player instead?" message... Does anyone have an advice? a recommendation?

But tabs are just great... This is for me the go-ahead and trash IE...

Michel

Wonder Boy
Apr 14, 2003, 11:00 AM

D

regular bookmark links work fine, but when i open a new tab (i was hoping tabs would open automaticly) loading is much slower. If this update didn't come out, i wouldnt have minded. To me v73 is no big deal.

mk_in_mke
Apr 14, 2003, 11:02 AM
It seems to me that we are getting picky over here... :D

I read the replies and I feel like we are all expecting so much for a product that is being updated as we speak (or write?)...

Browser speed: is it really important to have a page being downloaded 1.2 time faster in Mozilla or Camino? Look and feel: Is it important today to talk about the alignment of a button?

Guys, come on, Apple has delivered a great Browser that allows us to go away from IE...Let them the time to make is even a better product... Be happy with what we have so far...

Regards,

Michel

gandalf55
Apr 14, 2003, 11:09 AM
camino is a lot slower (latest nightly build) than b2 safari for me. test page:

www.ericd.net

load that up in both and see the difference... the page is a pig too.

j33pd0g
Apr 14, 2003, 11:18 AM
Lunch time for me is in about 40 minuts, and I can't wait to rush home and try the new safari...

I thought I read that it kills your bookmark list. If so, is there any easy way to save the bookmarks I have? Or should I copy them all into a text document and then manually visit each site over again?

Safari has been my main browser... I have a really good nightly build of the old chimera, and I'll keep that around... I have not been able to get camino to work without crashing... I will destroy my IE if the new safari works my web banking!:)

Rajj
Apr 14, 2003, 11:19 AM
Every time I launch a new tab, Safari just locks up!! :mad:
I get that damn beachball, it just keeps spinning and spinning and spinning, anyone else have this problem? :mad: :mad:

davy the bunny
Apr 14, 2003, 11:34 AM
Originally posted by Rincewind42
Check out the window menu - it's Cmd-Shift Left/Right arrow key :)

aha, I've been wondering this as well, I'm so glad to know now, thanks rincewind42, maybe I'll just program those extra mouse buttons. . .

kylos
Apr 14, 2003, 11:44 AM
The stop button works now!!! It was broken in v 67.

kevinmyers
Apr 14, 2003, 11:46 AM
my school uses some sort of outlook on-line email for their email service and safari just doesn't handle it very well...it doesn't delete messages, it doesn't seem to fit a large window

does anyone know anything i can do to fix this or will i just have to use IE for a while longer?

Swordsman
Apr 14, 2003, 11:52 AM
I'm glad to report that I have none of the problems that you all have experienced. My bookmarks are still intact. The favicons are still there. The "reply" button on MacRumors is still where it should be. It's all good. :D

sparkleytone
Apr 14, 2003, 11:57 AM
i dont get to try it out for another couple hours. im stuck here at school on the peecees. i had noticed that v71 was much faster, faster in fact than camino, which i would attribute to lean code. as far as the placement of the buttons goes, it may be a problem due to hacking safari to remove underlines from text links. its the only thing i can really think of if people are getting mixed results.

the only thing that camino really still beats safari in is the speed of secure (https://) sites.

iElvis
Apr 14, 2003, 12:12 PM
macrumors is just loading slowly today. I'm at school on a T1 line using windows and its just like at home on my dial-up.

I wish Safari was also on windows...oh well...Will just have to wait till i can buy a powerbook.

Macpoops
Apr 14, 2003, 12:17 PM
Gotta love the College networks that are stretched to capacity by incompetant IT staff who don't give a **** about they people they are supposed to serve, the students, we do pay their salaries you know..

But on a brighter note This is the first time i have ever used tabbed browsing and i love it. Never new it could be this easy I don't know how i ever lived without it.

pilotgi
Apr 14, 2003, 12:38 PM
Can you bookmark tabs with this new Safari?

I haven't been able to do it with Camino. Is it me or is this feature only available with Moz?

Rower_CPU
Apr 14, 2003, 12:51 PM
Originally posted by pilotgi
Can you bookmark tabs with this new Safari?

I haven't been able to do it with Camino. Is it me or is this feature only available with Moz?

It's really easy to do in Camino.

1) Open multiple windows in tabs
2) Go to Bookmarks>Add Page to Bookmarks (Command + D)
3) Name the Bookmark

That's it. :)

I haven't seen it in Safari, though.

BubbaTAC
Apr 14, 2003, 12:52 PM
Its allright, I had been using it exclusively before, but this update brought me neither of things I needed and broke something I had before.

I used to use the mouse wheel as my modifier for cocoa gestures, and I can't anymore because they use the mouse click to open a new tab, thats fine but I wish I could set that and have the 4th or 5th button do that so I could use my middle mouse button for what I want.

That and it still doesn't work with Wells Fargo banking online or Verizon wireless vtext, guess I will keep IE around

tagy
Apr 14, 2003, 12:53 PM
i seem to be having slight problems with this update, it seems to messing up the text size occasionally. i can go to a website it is fine i go there again and sometimes the text is massive and i cannot make it smaller...

have to quit and restart safari. anyone else have this?

j33pd0g
Apr 14, 2003, 01:12 PM
I'm kind of impressed so far... the tabbing is nice... nothing strange yet... of course I've only been using it for about 10 min. My web banking works now... whoo hoo!
I feared that I was going to loose my bookmarks so I made a folder on my desktop and was going to drag the bookmarks from the bookmark drawer over to the folder... I never noticed it before but the amount of bookmarks you select and drag gets a number count... However, when I opened my folder up I discovered that only 1 of 21 of my bookmarks was coppied over. so I don't know how usefull the counter image is. Here is a screenshot:

chewbaccapits
Apr 14, 2003, 01:24 PM
Anyone having problems with the SOFTWARE UPDATE feature?...It doesn't even show the safari update...WTF!

MacBandit
Apr 14, 2003, 01:25 PM
It's working great for me. No noticeable bugs so far. Also the speed is great. As fast or faster then Camino. That is saying something. Great to have tabs and autofill. Now that I have autofill I may never use Camino again that was my main gripe about Camino.

MacBandit
Apr 14, 2003, 01:26 PM
Originally posted by chewbaccapits
Anyone having problems with the SOFTWARE UPDATE feature?...It doesn't even show the safari update...WTF!
Don't worry about it just go to Apples website and click on the link near the bottom of the page.

Rower_CPU
Apr 14, 2003, 01:27 PM
Originally posted by chewbaccapits

Who's getting it through Software Update? I thought you had to go grab it from here (http://www.apple.com/safari/download/).

chewbaccapits
Apr 14, 2003, 01:32 PM
I thought you COULD get it from software update...My bad, I guess....

ibookin'
Apr 14, 2003, 01:33 PM
Stuck here on the peecees while my iBook sits idly by with no network connection... :( :(

I did notice the Stop button problem in 67 and can't wait for a fix. Being on dial up, I have to use that button a lot.

I'll also try Camino. I don't know what kept me from it before. Maybe it was my inability to tear myself away from Safari's beauty... :D

j33pd0g
Apr 14, 2003, 01:37 PM
Originally posted by Rower_CPU
Who's getting it through Software Update? I thought you had to go grab it from here (http://www.apple.com/safari/download/).

I got mine through software update... also I had deleted iMovie 3.X from my mac because it didn't work to well on my outdated 350 g4 (Yikes!) and that showed up in the software update too.

RBMaraman
Apr 14, 2003, 01:41 PM

I got it through Software Update. Did it not show up in yours, Rower? Did you download any of the leaked Beta's? Maybe Apple set it so Software Update only works with the Apple releases and not the leaked Beta's.

chewbaccapits
Apr 14, 2003, 01:42 PM

Well, I take that back..I read it thru here but then I didn't see it on software update feature..

Wonder Boy
Apr 14, 2003, 01:51 PM
2 issues-

1. i don't like how autofill is 100% linked to the address book. I dont like having my full name labelled in ichat, so put nick names and stuff like that. I wish there was i way to seperate address book info and autofill (maybe there is and i dont know it)

2. my second issue is that i wish i had better grammer skills so my first issues didnt make me sound drunk.

Rower_CPU
Apr 14, 2003, 01:54 PM
Must be because I put Safari in a sub-folder for Browsers within my Applications folder. SUCP will ususally miss things if you don't have them in the standard location. And, no, I wasn't using a leaked beta.

I'm surprised they're using the SUCP for a beta app, though...

pilotgi
Apr 14, 2003, 01:55 PM
It's really easy to do in Camino.

1) Open multiple windows in tabs
2) Go to Bookmarks>Add Page to Bookmarks (Command + D)
3) Name the Bookmark

That's it.
You forgot to say "check the 'bookmark all tabs' option."

Thanks for the tip.

MacBandit
Apr 14, 2003, 01:56 PM
Originally posted by Wonder Boy
2 issues-

1. i don't like how autofill is 100% linked to the address book. I dont like having my full name labelled in ichat, so put nick names and stuff like that. I wish there was i way to seperate address book info and autofill (maybe there is and i dont know it)

2. my second issue is that i wish i had better grammer skills so my first issues didnt make me sound drunk.

Just go to the preferences for autofill and deselect the check box for using info from the address book. Then build your own info in the other forms option.

prewwii
Apr 14, 2003, 01:58 PM
Originally posted by rog

I just don't like the bookmark system. I want to see my bookmarks in a frame and still see my browser window. I hate how Safari makes the browser window disappear when looking at bookmarks.

I think Safari has taken their eye off the ball when it comes to bookmark usage. Most previous browsers can access any book mark in two or less mouse clicks. The best Safari can do is three and that is if no folders are used to group like sites. Otherwise it's four click to to go from A to B. Do the math. Two verses three or four, which is more efficient?

Original Camino offered another feature that Safari could use, a reminder in the form of a pointer to the last selection within a grouping. Camino called it a sidebar. Great idea. Then one day a nightly build trashed that idea in favor of the page over approach used by Safari. Which adds another click to Camino process too. What is the extra click for? All the operator wants in the ability to select the next saved bookmark.

Apple is famous for making the computer and it's software invisable to the operator who uses the computer to do work. Every step added to a process is more cause to have to think about the computer than the job. The next time you use the Safari bookmark system ask yourself, can the next bookmark be selected with less effort?

I personally would like to see a more efficient bookmark system used in Safari and this BETA software that can still be changed.

MontanaMacster
Apr 14, 2003, 02:03 PM
Does this build seem a bit buggy than the last one. It has unexpectedly quit on me 6 times since I downloaded it

BaghdadBob
Apr 14, 2003, 02:16 PM
Must be because I put Safari in a sub-folder for Browsers within my Applications folder. SUCP will ususally miss things if you don't have them in the standard location.

Yes, that appears to be the problem here too. That's a lame downgrade in Jaguar, as one of the things I used to browbeat my PC using friends about was the fact that the finder knew where things were even when you moved them. So why do I have to keep Adress book in the main Applications folder for some apps to notice that it's there/not install a new one, etc...?

Anyway, as far as the tabs go I will give a conditional

SWEET!

but I believe the tabs bar should be a little less tall (picky, picky!). Also the "open in tabs) feature should work for the subfolders within your bookmark bar menus (one of the very coolest featurse of Safari, in my opinion). Opening a whole group of pages at once, even if it is a little slow, is pretty cool. This is a feature that can be very useful on a corporate intranet...

(He prepares to use another example from his time at CIGNA, as if he's proud of it....)

For example, at CIGNA they store all the information you could want about processing claims in web pages on their secure intranet. IF -- and when I left there this was still a big IF -- they could get bookmarking these pages to work the day after you bookmarked them, you could open a whole group of your most commonly used reference pages in one click, ensuring that you have them handy on hand and that you have the very latest up-to-date information -- as opposed to having the file stored on your hard disk, as I often did from the sheer frustration of having to find the info on the frighteningly-slow intranet, which was against the rules, cuz it could be out of date.

And as you know you can open PDF files in your browser, so, from my personal experience at CIGNA, this would reduce about seven windows to one.

The only thing they need now is piles of tabs! YES!

Freg3000
Apr 14, 2003, 02:35 PM
Originally posted by BubbaTAC
Its allright, I had been using it exclusively before, but this update brought me neither of things I needed and broke something I had before.

I used to use the mouse wheel as my modifier for cocoa gestures, and I can't anymore because they use the mouse click to open a new tab, thats fine but I wish I could set that and have the 4th or 5th button do that so I could use my middle mouse button for what I want.

My Cocoa Gestures till work. I love CG. They are so cool. If you have no idea what i am talking about, check it out here:
http://versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/18404

MacKenzie999
Apr 14, 2003, 02:36 PM
Originally posted by tagy
i seem to be having slight problems with this update, it seems to messing up the text size occasionally. i can go to a website it is fine i go there again and sometimes the text is massive and i cannot make it smaller...

have to quit and restart safari. anyone else have this?

I too am having this problem, more than half the time. I'm eager to shed IE and this is the only roadblock. I also experienced this with the last beta as well.

blueBomber
Apr 14, 2003, 02:55 PM
w00t! TABS! Importing of Mozilla bookmarks! I still don't like the brushed metal look though...

G4scott
Apr 14, 2003, 03:13 PM
I think I'm the only one here to notice this, but this version (coming from the previous public beta) actually hides the cursor when scrolling through a page...

Now to see if the 'check spelling as you type' thing stays selected...

Freg3000
Apr 14, 2003, 03:16 PM
Originally posted by blueBomber
w00t! TABS! Importing of Mozilla bookmarks! I still don't like the brushed metal look though...

Got Developer Tools? Try This.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=22663&highlight=developer+tools+safari

medea
Apr 14, 2003, 03:34 PM
Originally posted by Freg3000
Got Developer Tools? Try This.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=22663&highlight=developer+tools+safari
wow, this is great, and not only did they bring in tabs but they actually improved on the idea by letting you just click the x to close them, more sites seem to work now as well, the time is close but I'm not going to delete IE just yet.....

MacManDan
Apr 14, 2003, 03:39 PM
Yum!

I must admit the new beta is great! In the 5 minutes since I've downloaded it though .. I've noticed something that still keep me from trashing Mozilla .. It still doesn't accept personal certificates for my school!

I do hope the SSL code is a little more robust .. I've had problems using Safari with some secure websites .. well, we'll just have to see. I'd give a big thumbs up to Apple for a good job though! And I like the brushed metal tabs .. it would look weird if it didn't match the rest of the window!

--Dan

BaghdadBob
Apr 14, 2003, 03:39 PM
Originally posted by G4scott
I think I'm the only one here to notice this, but this version (coming from the previous public beta) actually hides the cursor when scrolling through a page...

Oh good, another one of those little intuitive aesthetic details I used to be proud of making a comeback.

Apple would do well to remember that not every feature that they deem obsolete is, as they put it, a ""feature"", but to some is an actual feature. Such as collapsible windows. Or a command to hide all applications except the current one.

d46799
Apr 14, 2003, 03:57 PM
IE is off the dock! :D

MacFan25
Apr 14, 2003, 04:14 PM
i havent downloaded it yet. i probably will in a little while. hopefully it will be faster. :)

Codemonkey
Apr 14, 2003, 04:40 PM
I am now using Safari full-time. I've been sticking with Camino until Safari had tabbed browsing...

I have to say, this is the slickest, most easy to use browser out there so far. I think it might take some people who are used to IE a bit longer to switch (some of the conventions and methodologies are different enough to mess up someone's routine), but for new users or anyone who likes to try out new software, this is a no-brainer.

Great work!

Incidentally, a part of me feels somewhat bad for the Camino team... but the feeling doesn't last too long...

iJon
Apr 14, 2003, 04:41 PM
Originally posted by BaghdadBob
Oh good, another one of those little intuitive aesthetic details I used to be proud of making a comeback.

Apple would do well to remember that not every feature that they deem obsolete is, as they put it, a ""feature"", but to some is an actual feature. Such as collapsible windows. Or a command to hide all applications except the current one.
my cursor stays when i scroll, is this a setting in safari?

iJon

Codemonkey
Apr 14, 2003, 04:49 PM
Originally posted by iJon
my cursor stays when i scroll, is this a setting in safari?

iJon

Are you scrolling with the keyboard directional keys, or a wheel mouse? For me it stays with the wheelmouse, but dissapears with the arrow keys...

HTH...

iJon
Apr 14, 2003, 04:53 PM
Originally posted by Codemonkey
Are you scrolling with the keyboard directional keys, or a wheel mouse? For me it stays with the wheelmouse, but dissapears with the arrow keys...

HTH...
ah i see, i guess their next step is to do that with the mouse.

iJon

Perceptes
Apr 14, 2003, 05:58 PM
Awesome. It looks like the day is nearing when a browser other than IE will get the job done. I want to be able to switch over and never look back.

makkystyle
Apr 14, 2003, 06:08 PM
Why has no one mentioned the new info bar at the bottom... this is exactly what safari needed. I used to hate how you couldn't see where a link was going to take you and now it even counts down the kb left to download, very nice. Though I presume most of you aren't still stuck with 56k :D

RBMaraman
Apr 14, 2003, 06:28 PM
Originally posted by makkystyle
Why has no one mentioned the new info bar at the bottom... this is exactly what safari needed. I used to hate how you couldn't see where a link was going to take you and now it even counts down the kb left to download, very nice. Though I presume most of you aren't still stuck with 56k :D

That has always been a feature of Safari.

It was disabled in the earlier releases, but was always accessible from the View menu. I guess they decided to turn it on by default from now on.

Delta-9
Apr 14, 2003, 06:30 PM
I am having some problems with autofill on some websites. It works flawlessly on some sites but not on others (like my one banking page (https)) it doesn't work.

Is autofill automatically disabled on https sites? (Revised. I just realized my discovercard.com account uses https and it works fine on that page....)

Maybe its just a poorly coded website on the one where it doesnt work.

Gus
Apr 14, 2003, 07:01 PM
Originally posted by Codemonkey

HTH...

Thank you Apple for fixing this. It was driving me nuts having the cursor point in the middle of text that i was reading.

I seem to be getting quite a few "Unexpectedly Quit" errors, though.

Regards,
Gus

chewbaccapits
Apr 14, 2003, 07:07 PM
So far,Safari is great for me.

coolbreeze
Apr 14, 2003, 07:20 PM
Hm. Yep, still a beta. I got 30 minutes of solid performance before it crashed, though.

Elan0204
Apr 14, 2003, 07:40 PM
I've had one crash with the new beta so far.:( It was about 5 minutes after I started using it, but it's been fine since then.

On the plus side, my online banking now works!:) I used to not be able to login, and after I tried I couldn't surf to another site without restarting Safari (I would get unable to connect to server errors until I restarted).

beatle888
Apr 14, 2003, 07:54 PM
im happy i love safari. BUT how are you suppose to click a group in the address bar and select to open in a tab just ONE of the book marks in that group?

i thought they would of thought of this once tabs has been out for awhile. maybe its still too soon.

does anyone know if you can do this?

beatle888
Apr 14, 2003, 07:55 PM
Originally posted by coolbreeze
Hm. Yep, still a beta. I got 30 minutes of solid performance before it crashed, though.

coolbreeze, nice desktop, will you post it for me? at desktop size so i can use it?
maybe maybe huh huh?

MrMacMan
Apr 14, 2003, 08:24 PM
2 major problems...

1, they fixed this and now its back... boo

MrMacMan
Apr 14, 2003, 08:25 PM
And #2 a new problem.

Bah, I was really hoping this wouldn't do this...

beatle888
Apr 14, 2003, 08:27 PM
Originally posted by MrMacman
2 major problems...

it actually FIXED it for me, i think i was using v62 before. the version when tabs JUST came out. now with this new public beta it displays the forums fine.

robbents99
Apr 14, 2003, 09:11 PM
Crashed on me too only after about an hour...can't import bookmarks at will which is wierd, downloaded the lastest build on camino and it's moving faster then Safari.
I do like the open in tabs option. Just need to work on the tab options and this could be a winner...

And the other good news of the day: Once all the tax returns checks come in a new G4 will be ordered. :) :)

XnavxeMiyyep
Apr 14, 2003, 09:51 PM
With Safari and Camino, I no longer have any use for IE

rog
Apr 14, 2003, 10:20 PM
Originally posted by gandalf55
camino is a lot slower (latest nightly build) than b2 safari for me. test page:

www.ericd.net

load that up in both and see the difference... the page is a pig too.

Results with MDD 867 DSL
Safari: 20 seconds
Mozilla: 15 seconds

Verified my suspicion based on feel that Mozilla is faster for me. Not that it will be for everyone, but Mozilla still rocks for me!

Styvas
Apr 14, 2003, 10:27 PM
Versions all the way up through v71 still crashed for me when trying to load an https site. I finally reinstalled OS X 10.2.4 and that solved the problem. I guess it was an "extension" conflict of some kind. No p-roblems now that I've got v73 running with 10.2.5.

My only issue with Safari now (in terms of my banking) is that the banking site doesn't seem to download a file that the OS recognizes as a .qfx file. I get something that must be post-processed or something when I download the same file in IE or Mozilla. Not sure what the deal is, however. I'm guessing that the tech support at my bank are going to give me a huge "HUH?" if I ask them why my banking downloads aren't working with Safari! :p

MacBandit
Apr 15, 2003, 01:35 AM
Originally posted by XnavxeMiyyep
With Safari and Camino, I no longer have any use for IE

Don't jump the gun too quickly. Don't delete IE completely. If you go to a forms page that use button selectors Safari still displays them has text entry boxes with numbers in them.

MacBandit
Apr 15, 2003, 01:37 AM
Originally posted by prewwii
I think Safari has taken their eye off the ball when it comes to bookmark usage. Most previous browsers can access any book mark in two or less mouse clicks. The best Safari can do is three and that is if no folders are used to group like sites. Otherwise it's four click to to go from A to B. Do the math. Two verses three or four, which is more efficient?

Original Camino offered another feature that Safari could use, a reminder in the form of a pointer to the last selection within a grouping. Camino called it a sidebar. Great idea. Then one day a nightly build trashed that idea in favor of the page over approach used by Safari. Which adds another click to Camino process too. What is the extra click for? All the operator wants in the ability to select the next saved bookmark.

Apple is famous for making the computer and it's software invisable to the operator who uses the computer to do work. Every step added to a process is more cause to have to think about the computer than the job. The next time you use the Safari bookmark system ask yourself, can the next bookmark be selected with less effort?

I personally would like to see a more efficient bookmark system used in Safari and this BETA software that can still be changed.

What are you guys smoking? Just drag all your favorites in the favorite window to the icon in collections labeled Bookmark's Menu. Voíla now all your bookmarks are in the bookmarks menu bar just like any other browser. One click drag down to your selection and let go and you have your page.

beatle888
Apr 15, 2003, 02:39 AM

hehehehe:D

beatle888
Apr 15, 2003, 02:44 AM
The next time you use the Safari bookmark system ask yourself, can the next bookmark be selected with less effort?

i guess so, but i like using the bookmark browser. if apple could get me to my bookmarks and make it as fun to use as the bookmark browser then im all for it.

Delta-9
Apr 15, 2003, 09:08 AM
I'm posting this here, hopefully someone that is a developer/seeder can move this along.

In the latest version of Opera 7.X for windows, they have a feature when you right click in the URL box called "Paste and Go." I do alot of copy-n-paste of URLs into the URL box and this is nice b/c it automatically pushes the "GO BABY GO" button after your URL is pasted into the fieldbox.

Elan0204
Apr 15, 2003, 09:47 AM
Originally posted by MrMacman
2 major problems...

Interestingly enough I don't have either of those problems. I did used to have the problem with the lines in the forums not lining up though.

MacBandit
Apr 15, 2003, 01:12 PM
Originally posted by Delta-9
I'm posting this here, hopefully someone that is a developer/seeder can move this along.

In the latest version of Opera 7.X for windows, they have a feature when you right click in the URL box called "Paste and Go." I do alot of copy-n-paste of URLs into the URL box and this is nice b/c it automatically pushes the "GO BABY GO" button after your URL is pasted into the fieldbox.

In Safari if you highlight a link and right click it, it gives you the option to go to it. I'm not sure that is what you are describing but it is incredibly handy.

beatle888
Apr 15, 2003, 03:24 PM
damnit, i updated safari and it came with a load of viewing bugs. blank screens and when i scroll the content area flickers with color. my home page had the apple logo (its usually just up in the upper left) filled the left side with a column of these with a vibrant blue filed of color going diagonal from the left side of the screen to the bottom right. pages wont load. i couldnt get to the latest "Piles" thread and view it succesfully, it would tray and load into the browser window but once the progress bar completed the scroll bars went away and i couldnt get to the majority of the posts in that thread. i couldnt use the arrow keys either. i trashed the preferences (safari 73) and varified permissions. still no luck, im now using camino which is nice but i want to use safari. sigh.

ThorPrime
Apr 15, 2003, 03:34 PM
I have 10.2.5 on a slot G3 iMac DV. It might only be me but as soon as I open up a tab, Safari Crashes. The tab will show then I get a beach ball and have to force quit safari(yes it shows red in the Force quit dialog) Does this happen to any one else?

Also, it seem like the text dialogs on these Buliten boards have gotten skinny in v73

snej
Apr 15, 2003, 06:05 PM
Adding a bookmark, i got a message about iSync (which wasn't running) trying to sync my bookmarks:

You cannot change bookmarks now.

iSync is synchronizing your bookmarks so you cannot change them. Try again in a moment.

It would be a cool feature to get my iBook synced with the PowerMac, but for now, it's just a weird error message.

BaghdadBob
Apr 15, 2003, 06:05 PM
Everyone seems to be having problems except for me...Well, I couldn't get it in Software Update at first, but I also thought it was loading the wrong version because when I opened it the tabs bar was not there and the autofill button I had seen was not there either.

Once my confusion was allieved I had no problems. I have a 400 mhz blue iMac. Havn't tried the bank or credit yet though.

In the same line I've never had a cavity. I should walk into a dentist's office and tell everyone that for an equivalent usefullness.

BaghdadBob
Apr 15, 2003, 06:17 PM

I love the bookmark system in Safari. I've never seen a bookmarks bar with pop-down menus and heirarchical menu abilities. If they could integrate "Open in tabs" with the heirarchy they'd be sweet. What takes three or four clicks? I only need one.

Personally, I don't like the bookmarks table taking up the entire window, but I also think they need a more complete history management and download management also (the download management is way too simple).

Delta-9
Apr 15, 2003, 08:47 PM
Originally posted by MacBandit
In Safari if you highlight a link and right click it, it gives you the option to go to it. I'm not sure that is what you are describing but it is incredibly handy.

Nope. Its not necessarily specific to safari. If I have copied a link from another program, IRC/term window or something else and have the link in the clipboard, I right click in the URL field to paste the link.

In Opera it gives me the "Paste & Go" option when I right click. That is what I am looking for.

MacBandit
Apr 16, 2003, 01:56 AM
Nope. Its not necessarily specific to safari. If I have copied a link from another program, IRC/term window or something else and have the link in the clipboard, I right click in the URL field to paste the link.

In Opera it gives me the "Paste & Go" option when I right click. That is what I am looking for.

Please describe the Past and Go option. What I am describing is the lack of need to copy and paste. Simply right click it and choose to open it.

Delta-9
Apr 16, 2003, 09:58 AM
Please describe the Past and Go option. What I am describing is the lack of need to copy and paste. Simply right click it and choose to open it.

Open up terminal.

type http://www.billgatessucks.com at the command prompt, don't press enter as it won't do anything. I am demonstrating that *I* copy URLs from places other than inside Safari/Camino/IE, such that right clicking the URL will not work.

now highlight that URL, right click it. Do you see an option to goto it?

Now once you have copied it, goto the URL window field and right click, all you get is paste... to paste the URL. I want "Paste & Go" to save that extra mouseclick or keystroke.

MacBandit
Apr 16, 2003, 12:50 PM
Open up terminal.

type http://www.billgatessucks.com at the command prompt, don't press enter as it won't do anything. I am demonstrating that *I* copy URLs from places other than inside Safari/Camino/IE, such that right clicking the URL will not work.

now highlight that URL, right click it. Do you see an option to goto it?

Now once you have copied it, goto the URL window field and right click, all you get is paste... to paste the URL. I want "Paste & Go" to save that extra mouseclick or keystroke.

Ah, that explains it but you are doing more then you have to once again. All you have to do is select it and then drag the selected text to an open browser (anywhere in the window) window and the window will automatically load the address.

Delta-9
Apr 16, 2003, 01:16 PM
Ah, that explains it but you are doing more then you have to once again. All you have to do is select it and then drag the selected text to an open browser (anywhere in the window) window and the window will automatically load the address.

Thank you.

That isn't something I ever tried (didn't know if was possible) and it works with about the same amount of effort as what I was asking for. I think that will suffice...

MacBandit
Apr 16, 2003, 01:25 PM
Thank you.

That isn't something I ever tried (didn't know if was possible) and it works with about the same amount of effort as what I was asking for. I think that will suffice...

Glad I could help. Sorry if I was a bit short at times.

RandomDeadHead
Apr 17, 2003, 06:24 AM
Me likes tabz.

mrdrumbum
Apr 17, 2003, 10:01 PM
anyone having trouble with hotmail? i can't seem to send out any email.

Grimace
Apr 17, 2003, 11:46 PM
I'm having trouble getting into Hotmail. It says "please re-enter your password" and I enter it correctly but it keeps reloading the page - seems to be some glitch with the stupid .net passport thing. Camino and IE work it just fine. Someone help!!

MacBandit
Apr 18, 2003, 02:30 AM
Originally posted by carletonmusic
I'm having trouble getting into Hotmail. It says "please re-enter your password" and I enter it correctly but it keeps reloading the page - seems to be some glitch with the stupid .net passport thing. Camino and IE work it just fine. Someone help!!

I was having the same problem with Safari and .Mac until I finally changed and shortened my password. Funny thing is my password worked fine in any other browswer just not in Safari. Hows that for supporting your own products.

mrdrumbum
Apr 18, 2003, 02:49 AM
usually if i click sign-in as different user, i can log into hotmail. i just can't send any emails. maybe this is something microsoft is causing.

RndmAxess
Apr 18, 2003, 09:17 AM
deleted

Grimace
Apr 18, 2003, 03:42 PM
Hotmail is definitely screwed up. It has problems logging in and I can't send emails or send replies. Anyone have a solution?

Timothy
Apr 18, 2003, 04:16 PM
OK...I'm new to tabs, but the first thing I thought was:

Can I "pre-load" tabs when I open the browser? Sort of like having multiple "home" pages, that are all loaded when the browser is launched, allowing me to run through my 5 favorite sites very quickly.

Perhaps this can be done and I'm just missing it? If so, can someone explain?

If not, let's lobby for this feature!

JPGR_Fan
Apr 18, 2003, 08:04 PM
Load your five favorite sites under appropriate heading in Bookmarks Bar. Click Open in Tabs.
One extra click.
Maybe a better solution, would also like to know.

iPegboy
Apr 20, 2003, 10:25 PM
well, I've had IE off my dock for a while now...but it might be coming back. because I'm having this problem:

It has problems logging in and I can't send emails or send replies.

And, I keep getting it asking for my key chain password or something like that. I enter my password for my account and it says its wrong. Strange...anyone know what's up?

ShaolinMiddleFinger
Apr 21, 2003, 01:33 AM
I'm having the same problem with Hotmail....I can't send email.....now I have to find the original Safari....if I had to choose between sending emails or tabs....I'll choose email

MacBoy88
Apr 22, 2003, 06:04 PM
what exactily dose Rendezvous do in safari? I have never seen anything in my bookmarks under Rendezvous?

Rower_CPU
Apr 22, 2003, 07:35 PM
You need to be on the same network as servers with Rendezvous enabled. Try turning on Web Sharing and then see what shows up. ;)