PDA

View Full Version : Holiday iPod Sales May Have Beaten Expectations

MacRumors
Dec 28, 2006, 12:45 PM
http://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com)

Hitwise has issued a report (http://www.hitwise.com/press-center/hitwiseHS2004/us-122506-itunes.php) stating that the market share of visits to Apple's iTunes website (http://www.apple.com/itunes) was up 413% on Christmas Day 2006 when compared to Christmas Day 2005. Hitwise attributes the spike to new iPod owners flocking to download iTunes.

Indeed, the spike seems to have caused a slowdown of the iTunes store and error messages for some on Monday. However, analysts who spoke to CNN (http://www.cnn.com/2006/TECH/internet/12/28/itunes.slowdown.ap/index.html) still believe the experience will be positive for Apple.

"It's actually created more positive buzz among analysts -- traffic was so great it blew up the site," said Gene Munster, senior research analyst at Piper Jaffray. "If anything it could be a positive -- demand was better than they were expecting."

[...]

"What you're seeing is the tremendous success of the iPod," said Michael Gartenberg, vice president and research director with JupiterResearch. "No doubt it was a very, very popular gift, and no matter how well you plan on the server side of the equation, there are always times when you get caught short."

Apple topped Amazon.com's bestseller list (http://www.macrumors.com/pages/2006/12/20061227171144.shtml) for MP3 players, and Hitwise indicates that Apple continued to perform favorably against increased competition, beating Microsoft's Zune.net (http://www.zune.net/) by 30 to 1 in site visits.

dashiel
Dec 28, 2006, 12:49 PM
talk about "i've got some good news and some bad news" apple's stock is certainly getting some schizophrenic news over the past week. i don't know about anyone else, but if it reaches $75 before MWSF i'm stocking up.

Lito
Dec 28, 2006, 12:51 PM
iPods will soon unite to take over the planet!

(And Homer will laugh at the cat falling down the stairs...:D )

spine
Dec 28, 2006, 12:54 PM
Does all the xmas iPods mean poor sales for an iPhone?

narco
Dec 28, 2006, 12:56 PM
I thought iTunes came on a CD with every iPod?

Fishes,
narco.

PlaceofDis
Dec 28, 2006, 12:56 PM

an Apple based cell phone really won't compete with the full line of iPods even if it is an MP3 player too. (oh and not to nit-pick, but Apple can't and won't use the name iPhone for any cell phone they release since its an actual product made by Cisco systems)

cecildk9999
Dec 28, 2006, 12:57 PM
It's been so amazing these past few years to see the presence that Apple has built for itself out of the success of the iPod. My Dad got a new shuffle for Christmas, and quite a few of my friends got iPods; what surprises me most is the number of people who are expressing interest in getting their first ever Macintosh computer. People who I never dreamed would buy a mac (and attacked me all these past few years for having one) are now becoming genuinely interested. :eek:

balamw
Dec 28, 2006, 12:58 PM
iTunes software: Yes
iTunes store music & videos: No

No sign of a free album sampler this year?

B

Synapple
Dec 28, 2006, 12:59 PM

Fishes,
narco.

It doesn't anymore... since the last update I think. At least not in the nano: doesn't fit into the box.

cecildk9999
Dec 28, 2006, 12:59 PM

Fishes,
narco.

they used to, but now Apple's slimmed down the packaging and you have to download from the web (at least for shuffles and nanos)

balamw
Dec 28, 2006, 01:00 PM
they used to, but now Apple's slimmed down the packaging and you have to download from the web (at least for shuffles and nanos)

Duh! I realized my mistake thinking about the new packaging.

B

danielwsmithee
Dec 28, 2006, 01:01 PM
they used to, but now Apple's slimmed down the packaging and you have to download from the web (at least for shuffles and nanos)The same is true for the new Video iPods. I would think they would just ship the iPod with the iPod in disc mode and have it contain the installers. That may be more of setup hassle then it is worth though.

I know my the Apple store near my house got dangerously close to running out of many different forms of iPods. Of course that was probably caused by not getting any shipments for a week because of the blizzards here.

neven
Dec 28, 2006, 01:02 PM

Regardless of the basic confusion in your question, the answer is no. Nanos and Shuffles don't come with installation discs. I know that there are probably two or three people out there who don't have Internet access, but I think that inconveniencing them is a small price to pay for smaller packaging and fewer throwaway discs.

jimN
Dec 28, 2006, 01:04 PM
Could they put it on the ipod so that it could install from there when connected? It would be optional ofcourse and it could be deleted afterwards but this would allow them to get people up and runnign with the minimum of fuss and still push their own software.

balamw
Dec 28, 2006, 01:07 PM
Could they put it on the ipod so that it could install from there when connected? It would be optional ofcourse and it could be deleted afterwards but this would allow them to get people up and runnign with the minimum of fuss and still push their own software.

Probably not a good idea given the preloaded viruses earlier in the year.

B

ChrisA
Dec 28, 2006, 01:23 PM

Fishes,
narco.

No, With the new small plastic packaging there is no way a CD could possibly fit inside the package. Both the Nano and the Shuffle come in a package that is roughly 1.25 x 1.25 x 4 inches on a side. I think the full size iPods come in larger packages that might allow a CD to go inside.

Here is an Idea: Why can't Apple put the iTunes and Quicktime software for both PC and Mac INSIDE the iPod. Even a Shuffle has 1GB of RAM which is more space then a CD. So when I fisr plug in the iPod it mounts up on the desktop as a mas storage device and inside is the software. This would take a huge load off the servers at Apple.com I think to iPod should come with some demo music loaded too. I'm sure everyone wants to see how it works after they open the box.

MrPineapples
Dec 28, 2006, 01:46 PM
Isn't the lack of disk the reason for all the hits, they won't of been nearly as high last year if most of the people used the disk?

BornAgainMac
Dec 28, 2006, 01:49 PM
Here is an Idea: Why can't Apple put the iTunes and Quicktime software for both PC and Mac INSIDE the iPod. Even a Shuffle has 1GB of RAM which is more space then a CD. So when I fisr plug in the iPod it mounts up on the desktop as a mas storage device and inside is the software. This would take a huge load off the servers at Apple.com I think to iPod should come with some demo music loaded too. I'm sure everyone wants to see how it works after they open the box.

I am not 100% sure but I think on Windows it doesn't even see the iPods as storage devices. I was able to mount a shuffle but not the disk-based iPod. Maybe that has changed in the last year.

PlaceofDis
Dec 28, 2006, 01:51 PM
Isn't the lack of disk the reason for all the hits, they won't of been nearly as high last year if most of the people used the disk?

no. that would just be people downloading iTunes then.

this is the iTunes Store hits. meaning that usually once you hook up a new iPod to your computer iTunes jumps up and recognizes it, you set it up and it typically takes you directly to the store. so it does possibly show a huge amount of new iPod sales.

failsafe1
Dec 28, 2006, 02:05 PM
That proves what I suspected Christmas day. My wife was trying to download a song she had heard the day before and was unable to do so all day. I said must be all the new iPod customers. Good for Apple.

jbt
Dec 28, 2006, 02:11 PM
no. that would just be people downloading iTunes then.

this is the iTunes Store hits. meaning that usually once you hook up a new iPod to your computer iTunes jumps up and recognizes it, you set it up and it typically takes you directly to the store. so it does possibly show a huge amount of new iPod sales.

Sorry to correct you but the stats are for visits to the itunes website where you download itunes. not the itunes store. a high proportion of which is probably attributed to the lack of cd.

Multimedia
Dec 28, 2006, 02:17 PM
Love the new clip-on Shuffle. Keep it clipped to my T-Shirt sleve 24/7. Headset wire runs down my back and in through the sleeve so now I have access to tunes any time I need them to fill silence. My iPod is now exclusively for Video when I am sitting in transport.

I will be very surprised if the iPod Shuffle isn't something that everyone needs and will become, if it isn't already, the fastest and biggest selling mp3 player in history. It is perfect form, design and functionality.

Amdahl
Dec 28, 2006, 02:20 PM
Merry Christmas to Apple! Scrooge & the Grinch were kept away this year!

Kid Red
Dec 28, 2006, 02:23 PM
So who's eating crow now? The Register is it? How can iTunes have a 400+% increase in sales when iTunes is in hot water falling out of profit? Hmm....

Macmaniac
Dec 28, 2006, 02:30 PM
The only downside to not including the CDs with the 'Pods is that for the folks that still use dial up its almost impossible to download iTunes. Although that population is dwindling, and I am thankfully not part of it.

spine
Dec 28, 2006, 02:41 PM
an Apple based cell phone really won't compete with the full line of iPods even if it is an MP3 player too. (oh and not to nit-pick, but Apple can't and won't use the name iPhone for any cell phone they release since its an actual product made by Cisco systems)

The iPhone is obviously just the code name we're all used to.
If I was in the market for a new nano, I would be waiting until January.
If I bought one for xmas, and a nano-like iPhone came out, I would be frustrated. That's all I am saying...

rockthecasbah
Dec 28, 2006, 03:14 PM
I am not 100% sure but I think on Windows it doesn't even see the iPods as storage devices. I was able to mount a shuffle but not the disk-based iPod. Maybe that has changed in the last year.

It does not initially, the user has to "enable disk usage" to make the iPod appear as a removable Hard Disk that Windows recognizes. I don't understand why it's really an option because it doesn't take away functionality but...:confused:

Eraserhead
Dec 28, 2006, 03:28 PM
It does not initially, the user has to "enable disk usage" to make the iPod appear as a removable Hard Disk that Windows recognizes. I don't understand why it's really an option because it doesn't take away functionality but...:confused:

It does, auto-disconnect of the iPod after syncing is disabled.

MacsAttack
Dec 28, 2006, 03:59 PM
So who's eating crow now? The Register is it? How can iTunes have a 400+% increase in sales when iTunes is in hot water falling out of profit? Hmm....

Err... An increase in sales does not always translate into an increase in profits.

If Apple sells a tune for $.99, but the music studio takes $.90 and the operating costs are $.10, then Apple is making a loss and any incease in sales will translate into a bigger loss.

As it is, Apple reputedly just sneaks over covering their costs, so an increse in sales will see a small increase in profits

This is complicated by the fact that the operating costs are not a liniear translation of volume, so fewer sales would doubtless mean a higher per-song operating cost (the lables are not going to swallow that part and will expect a fixed amount per song).

All of which is irrelevant as the story sounds like it is talking about the number of visitors to the site. This is a missleadng figure because...

1. It may be people visiting the site to download iTunes (which is no longer distributed with Nano and Suffles) - and all accounts are that the new Shuffle has been selling shead-loads (another victory for Apple design team there).

2. When you fire iTunes up for the first time I think it takes you to the music store - so much like Microsoft's home page being the most visited one on the net (cause it is the default in explorer) you are going to get a lot of hits by people who never actually wanted to go there in the first place.

Always remember there are lies, damn lies, and statistics. These are statistics. Wait for the next financial statment to really see how things are going.

Follow the money.

JeffDM
Dec 28, 2006, 04:20 PM

I think that would be an easy setting change on Apple's part though. I think they were right to drop the CD, but they could have at least included a copy of the software on the unit. Then the software can offer to make it a non-drive unit once the software is running. It might have saved them quite a bit in bandwidth costs and reduce the site hammering doing it this way.

Quboid
Dec 28, 2006, 04:23 PM

I'll buy an ifone if it's good enough. Apple cannot expect to aim the iPhone at the portable players market, its aimed at the Music phone market. Which to me are two different markets.

Some folks just prefer to listen to music from their phones i guess.

JeffDM
Dec 28, 2006, 04:28 PM
Always remember there are lies, damn lies, and statistics. These are statistics. Wait for the next financial statment to really see how things are going.

That's true. It's a statistic but a completely useless one at that and it has strong potential for misleading interpretations.

BTW: the owner's cut on a music track is reputed to be around $0.60 each, not $0.90. A cut higher than 0.70 would almost mean certain loss. The minimum credit card transaction fee is often around $0.25.

Rocketman
Dec 28, 2006, 04:40 PM
Since Apple is a SERVER company, why not add a bunch of servers just before known big sales events like Christmas and MWSF?

Or is this really a situation where all of the pipes were full?

Why not sub-out iTunes downloads (and software updates) (no insurmountable security concerns) to outside vendors during rush times?

Rocketman

JeffDM
Dec 28, 2006, 04:52 PM
Since Apple is a SERVER company, why not add a bunch of servers just before known big sales events like Christmas and MWSF?

Or is this really a situation where all of the pipes were full?

It's probably not a server problem. I think it is more likely a bandwidth problem, and Apple is not an ISP.

Why not sub-out iTunes downloads (and software updates) (no insurmountable security concerns) to outside vendors during rush times?

Apple uses Akamai for that, almost all the time. If you block Akamai, you almost can't even use Apple's sites at all.

Rocketman
Dec 28, 2006, 04:58 PM
It's probably not a server problem. I think it is more likely a bandwidth problem, and Apple is not an ISP.

Apple uses Akamai for that, almost all the time. If you block Akamai, you almost can't even use Apple's sites at all.

They did buy the $50m Worldcom telecom center and that was the world record bandwidth location in the world when it was built. It apears Apple is either not using it at all, or to any significant degree yet. Probably waiting for ApplePhone and TrueVideoiPod.

Video downloads are really going to clog the pipe.

Rocketman

gkarris
Dec 28, 2006, 05:04 PM
Okay, okay, I'll be the first to say...

What about the Zune? Isn't it killing the iPod?

Maybe because of the Zune, the iPod was not expected to do well at all, and it did anyways, which surprised most people...

(I earlier flushed some stuff down the toilet that was the same color as one of the Zunes...)

kcmac
Dec 28, 2006, 05:39 PM
I didn't buy any iPods for Christmas but I bought over $200 of itunes music coupons and album gifts. The slowdown on the 25th was incredible. All downloading nicely now.

I think Apple had great holiday sales. My hardware purchases are still waiting for iTV and whatever may be associated with it as well as the phone.

Chundles
Dec 28, 2006, 06:33 PM
The only downside to not including the CDs with the 'Pods is that for the folks that still use dial up its almost impossible to download iTunes. Although that population is dwindling, and I am thankfully not part of it.

Not impossible, takes about an hour - no big deal.

rockthecasbah
Dec 28, 2006, 06:45 PM
It does, auto-disconnect of the iPod after syncing is disabled.

No, it recognizes it but it doesn't appear as a lettered drive as is the case with the partions of Hard Drives or other removable drives. To use it as a Hard Drive you have to enable disk usage (which is not default).

jonharris200
Dec 28, 2006, 07:00 PM
Whatever the true reason(s) for the increased hits, one thing is certain: Apple is selling shed-loads of iPods.

Anecdotal evidence, but somebody I know bought an iPod nano for both his daughters, a third for his wife and a fourth for his sister-in-law. Each one of the four nanos in a different colour, of course.

If only my Christmas shopping were that easy?! :D

FrankBlack
Dec 28, 2006, 07:14 PM
Don't forget the gift cards for the itunes music store. I understand about a zillion of them were sold this year.

The Zune: It will be interesting to see how that progresses. One thing is certain: M$ won't give up on it easily.

bigandy
Dec 28, 2006, 07:32 PM

They did buy the $50m Worldcom telecom center and that was the world record bandwidth location in the world when it was built. It apears Apple is either not using it at all, or to any significant degree yet. Probably waiting for ApplePhone and TrueVideoiPod.

Video downloads are really going to clog the pipe.

Rocketman

Akamai is used for, essentially, 'load balancing' popular sites - many companies use it. However for services such as the iTunes Store, I doubt Akamai is used, because of the need for encryption and more control over where content and the suchlike ends up - movie studios and music labels probably demand that their products are kept fresh and close to the chest. Which is probably why they bought the Worldcom centre.

Rocketman
Dec 28, 2006, 07:38 PM

Maybe because of the Zune, the iPod was not expected to do well at all, and it did anyways, which surprised most people...

(I earlier flushed some stuff down the toilet that was the same color as one of the Zunes...)

30:1 in favor of Apple over Microsoft.

The tables are turned.

Rocketman

Rocketman
Dec 28, 2006, 07:45 PM
The slowdown on the 25th was incredible. All downloading nicely now.

This points out the limits of the internet itself. Apple has tested it in 2006. We need Internet 2.0 (Fiber).

Verizon has FiOS. Nortel has massive dark fiber. My brother installed it.

The capacity for future WiMax and Satellite and fiber in the ground is astounding.

The so-called internet bubble was not a bubble at all. It was a fortaste (religious reference) of internet to come. It would be here NOW if not for the Clinton/Greenspan intentional crash of 1999 on the pretense of an "internet bubble". (crashed the whole stock market, liquidating real people's retirement funds widely).

I claim to be an expert on this topic BTW.

Ask me to do TV segments on it. . . . .

Rocketman

shawnce
Dec 28, 2006, 08:25 PM

What planet you on? The Zune was never predicted to be a threat to the iPod, at least not anytime soon. Also Zune is WAY behind the iPod in terms of unit volume and farther behind in terms of revenue.

celavato
Dec 28, 2006, 08:26 PM
If Apple does release an iPod phone, I predict that the company will name it ... iPod phone. Think about the names of its previous product extensions -- iPod mini, iPod nano, iPod shuffle. Apple is pretty consistent when naming its products. You heard it here first.

savanahrose
Dec 28, 2006, 08:33 PM
I got my husband the 30 gb ipod. The funny thing is is that he was saving up to get me one. lol

Now he doesn't have to. I told him to get a good bose speaker system for it. Maybe he can find one from rockford.

hana
Dec 28, 2006, 08:45 PM
Geez, I thought it was all those ipods I saw them selling at Costco next to those $50 itunes cards for $44.99. :D

http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product.aspx?Prodid=11190349&search=itunes&Sp=S&Mo=0&cm_re=1-_-Top_Left_Nav-_-Top_search&Nr=P_CatalogName:BC&Ns=P_Price|1||P_SignDesc1&N=0&whse=BC&Dx=mode+matchallpartial&Ntk=All&Dr=P_CatalogName:BC&Ne=4000000&D=itunes&Ntt=itunes&No=0&Ntx=mode+matchallpartial&Nty=1&topnav=&s=1

Rocketman
Dec 28, 2006, 09:35 PM
Ladies and Gentlemen,

"the market share of visits to the iTunes website increased by 1,222 percent in the same period, and outnumbered visits to Zune.net by 30 to 1."

413% was impressive, I agree, but 1222% is magfnificent.

Rocketman

JeffDM
Dec 28, 2006, 09:42 PM
Akamai is used for, essentially, 'load balancing' popular sites - many companies use it. However for services such as the iTunes Store, I doubt Akamai is used, because of the need for encryption and more control over where content and the suchlike ends up - movie studios and music labels probably demand that their products are kept fresh and close to the chest. Which is probably why they bought the Worldcom centre.

I don't know how they do it now, but in the past, tracks were sent to the iTunes software unencrypted because of the caching service if I recall the report correctly. This is how one of the hacks worked to buy unencrypted tracks, it intercepted the data stream and saved the file. That has been changed though. It can concievably be encrypted on the cache servers and then re-encrypted by the local program. If it's cracked, replace the files with new encryption.

mixgrafix
Dec 28, 2006, 10:03 PM
79.14% of statistics are useless.

povman
Dec 28, 2006, 10:04 PM
All this iTunes rubbish is clogging up the tube; people putting their messages in line and getting delayed by anyone that puts into that tube enormous amounts of material, enormous amounts of material.

Maybe that's why my internets are taking so long to send.

Multimedia
Dec 28, 2006, 10:35 PM
Anyone know the solution to a video iPod that is suddenly stuck on "Do Not Disconnect" and won't go dark nor respond to any combination of held down keys? Thanks. :eek: :(

Just back from a trip to Chicago where it performed flawlessly the whole trip.

Solution is Center + Menu buttons held together unlock it. The iPod automated phone support taught me that. That's one combination I hadn't tried before.

levitynyc
Dec 29, 2006, 01:05 AM
Don't forget the gift cards for the itunes music store. I understand about a zillion of them were sold this year.

I actually got 4 gift cards this year for itunes. I gave 3 this year. Its amazing how 1 product is so popular, when 6 years ago, it didnt exist.

balamw
Dec 29, 2006, 01:14 AM
However for services such as the iTunes Store, I doubt Akamai is used, because of the need for encryption
Guess you've not heard how iTMS really works (at least for audio).

Until v 6.0 the files were sent unencrypted and personalized on the client machine. DVD Jon used this in his Linux iTMS client. Since 6.0 they are encrypted with a common key and still personalized locally.

B

D34thPwny
Dec 29, 2006, 03:42 AM
Feels good to hear it's doing so well!
Sweeeet...

SPUY767
Dec 29, 2006, 06:55 AM
No, With the new small plastic packaging there is no way a CD could possibly fit inside the package. Both the Nano and the Shuffle come in a package that is roughly 1.25 x 1.25 x 4 inches on a side. I think the full size iPods come in larger packages that might allow a CD to go inside.

Two Words: 7cm CDs.

SPUY767
Dec 29, 2006, 07:02 AM
Err... An increase in sales does not always translate into an increase in profits.

If Apple sells a tune for $.99, but the music studio takes $.90 and the operating costs are $.10, then Apple is making a loss and any incease in sales will translate into a bigger loss.

Actually Apple is making a miniscule profit on each song. Labels are getting 66ish cents per song.

JeffDM
Dec 29, 2006, 08:35 AM
Two Words: 7cm CDs.

It's actually 8cm last I remember. 7cm is still about twice as wide as the nano packaging, so it doesn't work.

SPUY767
Dec 29, 2006, 10:21 AM
It's actually 8cm last I remember. 7cm is still about twice as wide as the nano packaging, so it doesn't work.

The point is moot because I tried it with my girlfriend's Nano box. It fits, but I was thinking of the business card CD's, 60mm wide. It fits, barely, but Apple would never use them because too many of apple products use slot loading CD drives and micro CD's can wreak havoc with those.

marco114
Dec 29, 2006, 10:34 AM
That would be cool next year if a report comes out about Macs like this.. With all the other stuff Apple is producing, they are not putting all their eggs in one basket and they are diversifying really well. Now going into Video and the Phone markets. Apple is becoming a Sony.

I think it's just a matter of time before Apple licenses the OS to PC Manufacturers. That will be the last blow to M$.

:)

Dunepilot
Dec 29, 2006, 11:32 AM
The point is moot because I tried it with my girlfriend's Nano box. It fits, but I was thinking of the business card CD's, 60mm wide. It fits, barely, but Apple would never use them because too many of apple products use slot loading CD drives and micro CD's can wreak havoc with those.

There's always the possibility that slot-loading drives will start being able to deal with smaller discs now that the Wii has shown a working version of this technology. You bet someone at M a t s h i t a is putting together prototype 'Superdrives' of this nature right now.

xPismo
Dec 29, 2006, 12:28 PM
Anyone know the solution to a video iPod that is suddenly stuck on "Do Not Disconnect" ...

Solution is Center + Menu buttons held together unlock it. The iPod automated phone support taught me that...

Heh. i use that at least once a day now with my 3g ipod. I'm just waiting for MWSF to pull the trigger on a new 80gb or better ipod.

Combined player / backup here I come.

SiliconAddict
Dec 29, 2006, 12:29 PM
I personally have been in a holding pattern on a new iPod until MWSF. Along with in car integration for my Prius as well. (Since there is every possibility any new iPod would break the integration.) So Christmas this year was lite on gifts. *shrugs*

There's always the possibility that slot-loading drives will start being able to deal with smaller discs now that the Wii has shown a working version of this technology. You bet someone at M a t s h i t a is putting together prototype 'Superdrives' of this nature right now.

Logitec's portable burner slot loads 8cm discs (http://www.engadget.com/2006/12/13/logitecs-portable-burner-slot-loads-8cm-discs-an-industry-firs/)

popesammyjoe
Dec 29, 2006, 12:35 PM
What do you do when you go to a website and it doesn't respond? You go to it again. And maybe again. So, I don't doubt that iTunes traffic may have been up significantly, but I think the 400% number grossly misrepresents the actual increase in iTunes usage. Let's see if Apple's 4Q results show a 400% increase in iTunes-generated sales over the same period last year. I doubt it.

-Sam

(3 Macs and 3 iPods in the family and growing ...)

SiliconAddict
Dec 29, 2006, 01:32 PM
I think it's just a matter of time before Apple licenses the OS to PC Manufacturers. That will be the last blow to M$.

:)

:rolleyes: No they won't. The reason why MS is hurting, relatively speaking of course, is because they have sold licenses to pretty much everyone. No one is upgrading because for many 2K and XP are good enough. (As long as you have the holy four installed.) The only reason they do upgrade is when they buy new hardware. And that is where Apple makes their bread and butter. I'm so sick of people saying this. It makes absolutely NO sense for Apple. Estimates already suggest that there is going to be a huge explosion of Mac sales in '07. And their profits hardly suggest that Apple is hurting either. There is simply NO reason for Apple to license OS X. None what so ever.
The only people who keep this hope alive are:

1. Fanbois who want MS dead for petty reasons.

2. People too cheap to buy a Mac to begin with but are still willing to spend half a grand on a PC.

3. People who want to dabble in OS X but don't want to dive in.

All three are minorities. And will become even greater minorities as we get farther and farther into the Intel transition where Macintels show up uber cheap on Ebay. #3 can then go and buy a first gen Mac Mini for pocket change and still get a pretty good idea what it's like to run OS X. As for one and two. *shrugs*

JeffDM
Dec 29, 2006, 02:15 PM
:rolleyes: No they won't. The reason why MS is hurting, relatively speaking of course, is because they have sold licenses to pretty much everyone. No one is upgrading because for many 2K and XP are good enough. (As long as you have the holy four installed.)

What is the "holy four"? I've never seen it mentioned anywhere.

SiliconAddict
Dec 30, 2006, 01:30 PM
What is the "holy four"? I've never seen it mentioned anywhere.

Its just my term. :D

Firewall, Antivirus, Patches, and Firefox (With Adblock installed) Takes care of 99.987% of the issues with Windows IMHO.

PS- OK you might want to ad secure, good mail client to that....holy five then? :p :D

twoodcc
Dec 30, 2006, 06:30 PM
love to see news like this about Apple. the ipod just keeps on selling...

failsafe1
Dec 30, 2006, 08:24 PM
Huh? Wha?? Zune has a web site. Why? I have not seen the site but I did catch the LAME Zune commercial on TV and man was it bad. How are they selling these or more to the point who are they selling this to? You may not want an iPod but I can't see how you could want a Zune.

winmacguy
Dec 31, 2006, 12:01 AM

Fishes,
narco.

For some strange reason they have stopped doing it with the Shuffles and the Nanos. Might be that they don't want to incorporate the bigger CD with the smaller packaging.

AppleIntelRock
Dec 31, 2006, 12:15 AM

I don't think so. I think that possibly this is a good time for the iPhone to come out. By the holiday season of 2007, many companies will have it, and it will be easy to find. Cell phones are a little harder to get in people's hands then ipods because they carry contracts with them- and if they don't, a high price tag soon follows.

winmacguy
Jan 1, 2007, 03:45 AM

14 yr old friend of my in-laws got a Nano for Christmas and a Vvvvvvvvery slow dial-up connection. it took a good 3 hrs plus to download the 35MB file (2kbps) although once she was installed and up and running things were pretty peachy.

MacsAttack
Jan 1, 2007, 05:00 AM
Huh? Wha?? Zune has a web site. Why? I have not seen the site but I did catch the LAME Zune commercial on TV and man was it bad. How are they selling these or more to the point who are they selling this to? You may not want an iPod but I can't see how you could want a Zune.

More interesting is the fact that MicroSoft chose not to push the Zune out world wide. Thus the iPod has had yet another Xmas salse frenzy in the UK without serious competition - which is going to make it that mauch harder for Microsoft to acheive any kind of market penetration when/if they do put the Zune out.

Also interesting to look at sales patterns... It is the Nano and the new Shuffle (especially the new Shuffle) that are really selling - not the iPod (though they have been moving off the shevles too - so they still have a market). If the US market is anything like the UK (and rest of the world0, then in targeting the "top end" with the Zune, Microsoft have ignored the largest part of their potential market.

Even if a second generation Zune were to be a far better product if/when released to the "rest of the world", letting the iPod get further entrenched cannot be a good idea.

Of course there has to be a saturation point in the portable media player market. One of the reasons the Nano and Shuffle are doing so well is that all the people who would spend all that money on an iPod - have. Now the Nano offeres the same key functionality (video is not an important feature it would appear - perhaps if the iTunes Store had something worth buying it would be different - but probably not). The Nano is also withing the budget of many more - so it is selling to all the people who wanted an iPod but could not find the coin for one. How long before that market is saturated remains to be seen.

Then we have the Shuffle. All that iPod goodness in a small and inexpensive package that is perfect as a stocking-filler or incidental gift.

The qustion is indeed - Who would buy a Zune????

For the record, I own an 1st Gen Nano. I had never thought I would buy an iPod of any description, but I was in the process of switching over to the Mac platform when the Nano was released. I had been impressed with my Mac, so when SJ pulls out a compact little player (not the big clunky iPods we were familiar with) it was an instant sell. Kind of a reverse Halo effect... Anyway - I've been doing a lot of traveling over the last year and that Nano has proven to have been a real good investment - allowing me to keep my sanity while waiting for uncounted flights. I'm not planning on buying another iPod (this Nano will do fine for another year or two). I'm not interested in the full size 5G or a future video iPod (I have to carry around a laptop and that can play video far better if I need it), and a Zune really brings nothing new to the table (even if I could buy one - which I can't).

MegaSignal
Jan 1, 2007, 02:55 PM
This points out the limits of the internet itself. Apple has tested it in 2006. We need Internet 2.0 (Fiber).

Verizon has FiOS. Nortel has massive dark fiber. My brother installed it.

The capacity for future WiMax and Satellite and fiber in the ground is astounding.

The so-called internet bubble was not a bubble at all. It was a fortaste (religious reference) of internet to come. It would be here NOW if not for the Clinton/Greenspan intentional crash of 1999 on the pretense of an "internet bubble". (crashed the whole stock market, liquidating real people's retirement funds widely).

I claim to be an expert on this topic BTW.

Ask me to do TV segments on it. . . . .

Rocketman

Wow. If this is true, I feel both angry and enlightened at the same time.

BTW, I think you should do a TV segment on it! (Intentional crash - that really chaps my hide...)

Quboid
Jan 1, 2007, 03:07 PM
Why are poeple pulling the iPone (macphone) into iPod discussions. Am i the only person in here that thinks that there is a big difference betweem an MP3 player and a music phone?

Mac'Mo
Jan 1, 2007, 10:47 PM
i really wanted an iPod for christmas and instead got a MB.....for myself