PDA

View Full Version : Macworld Keynote Quicktime Stream Now Available

MacRumors
Jan 9, 2007, 05:30 PM
http://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com)

Apple has posted a Quicktime video-on-demand stream (http://events.apple.com.edgesuite.net/j47d52oo/event/) of this morning's keynote address by CEO Steve Jobs. Two links are available on Apple's site: one for the keynote and one for the iPhone (http://www.macrumors.com/pages/2007/01/20070109135244.shtml) introduction.

Also introduced today during the keynote was the Apple TV (http://www.macrumors.com/pages/2007/01/20070109124129.shtml) (formerly iTV). Apple also announced a deal to bring catalog Paramount movies (http://www.macrumors.com/pages/2007/01/20070109083914.shtml) to the iTunes Store and a corporate name change (http://www.macrumors.com/pages/2007/01/20070109141056.shtml) to Apple Incorporated (from Apple Computer Incorporated).

applerocks
Jan 9, 2007, 05:33 PM
Not working right now. I had it, then I paused it to answer a call, and it never started again. Now there's an unavailable message...

This is why Apple doesn't do live streams anymore ;-)

applerocks

EDIT: Follow instructions here to watch, it works for me right now, even though that message is up...
http://www.macrumors.com/pages/2007/01/20070105150245.shtml

longofest
Jan 9, 2007, 05:34 PM
Heh... "Due to exceptional demand, your request could not be completed..."

gloss
Jan 9, 2007, 05:35 PM
Yup. Already brought to its knees by massive traffic.

Coheebuzz
Jan 9, 2007, 05:35 PM
"Due to exceptional demand, your request cannot be completed at this time." :rolleyes:

Of course that's to be expected. Any mirrors around?

/"\/oo\/"\
Jan 9, 2007, 05:37 PM
yeah...I'll just wait till tomorrow to try watching it.

Rocketman
Jan 9, 2007, 05:40 PM
A couple of comments.

I got an entirely different impression of the flow and the product priorities from the video than I did from the normally reliable MacRumors updates.

It seems Apple is making a HUGE mistake by NOT offering a live stream of the event.

Secondly.

The stream has access and download speed issue. MR user "Peace" assured me Apple, Inc. has increased server capacity as of yesterday by activating the former Worldcom telecom center as an Apple server farm.

It seems the same fate that Apple Computer, Inc. experienced at Christmas when folks wanted to download iTunes for their shiny new iPods, has befallen now Apple, Inc. customers, and users, and developers, and dealers, on this historic day in merely trying to download a stream of the Macworld expo.

Undercapacity and over use!

How dare we!

Rocketman

mithras
From the link above -- this is the URL to put directly into Quicktime:
http://stream.qtv.apple.com/events/jan/j47d52oo/m_8848125_350_ref.mov

macEfan
Not working right now. I had it, then I paused it to answer a call, and it never started again. Now there's an unavailable message...

applerocks

EDIT: Follow instructions here to watch, it works for me right now, even though that message is up...

yeah, that seems to make it work fine, thanks for the link...

oo the video looks like its decent quality this year!

Excursions
Jan 9, 2007, 05:43 PM
Anyone have any ideas why I am able to see the video from the keynote stream but am getting no audio? Please help!

Nepenthe
Jan 9, 2007, 05:46 PM

applerocks

Heh... The exact same thing happened to me.

Funny - the MR forums are also giving me the "Server too busy" message :). Thanks for the tip, though. Vid is playing great now.

stevesidea
Jan 9, 2007, 05:47 PM
Steve chose to play the Beatles during the iPod demo of the iPhone...
Um... I was expecting a legendary iTunes deal to follow.
I think that's the next big thing.
Just have to get Paul and Yoko to agree.

What else?
I'm hoping for a yellow iPod loaded with the first 10 seasons of the Simpsons.

shrimpdesign
Jan 9, 2007, 05:49 PM
Steve looks good. I bet no one will question his health this time around.

Jan 9, 2007, 05:52 PM
If they don't have the bandwidth, why can't they just post a torrent?

jimthorn
Jan 9, 2007, 05:53 PM
They should just post this on the iTunes Store. Even if it cost $1.99, a LOT of people would buy it, just for the quality and no choppy streaming. If it was free, even more.

jimthorn
Jan 9, 2007, 05:58 PM
Steve chose to play the Beatles during the iPod demo of the iPhone...

It's a sure thing now that there's a deal. No way would Steve play the Beatles otherwise. He just didn't want anything (Leopard, Beatles, 8-core Mac Pro, etc) to distract from Apple TV and especially the iPhone. And the iPhone will be the most talked-about thing for the next couple of days. But you can bet that the Beatles deal will be only one of many aftershocks coming in the next few days and weeks. It's a good time to be an Apple fan.

TheBobcat
Jan 9, 2007, 06:00 PM
They should just post this on the iTunes Store. Even if it cost $1.99, a LOT of people would buy it, just for the quality and no choppy streaming. If it was free, even more.

Heh, people paying to watch a company's CEO introduce products...

Who says this isn't a cult?

SiliconAddict
Jan 9, 2007, 06:02 PM
Yah I think I'll try it this weekend. Normally I wouldn't ask this but if someone figure out how to download it can you bittorrent the sucker, please? Then again the stream is prob copyrighted. :rolleyes:

For things like this Apple really should create a torrent. Put 3-4 servers up hosting the seed on some high cap pipes, and then let the Mac community take care of the rest.

cxny
Jan 9, 2007, 06:03 PM
Yeah! I love these, can't wait to watch thanks for the link.......

shrimpdesign
Jan 9, 2007, 06:10 PM
Good god that Cingular CEO was boring.

mrkramer
Jan 9, 2007, 06:15 PM
I'm trying to load it now, but if I can't i was wondering if it would be legal for someone to save it and put it up for people to download?

MBHockey
Jan 9, 2007, 06:19 PM
Loaded instantly here. Very smooth, no lag at all. Very surprised!

macEfan
Jan 9, 2007, 06:20 PM
it was playing for about 15 minutes and then It stopped... tried to re-load and it said server not found...:rolleyes:

ipearx
Jan 9, 2007, 06:24 PM
10 big questions about the iPhone
http://bla.st/site/blog/40/
The keynote answered at least one question (the dock connector)

super_kev
Jan 9, 2007, 06:26 PM
Someone do a little digging and figure out the link for the full file so I can download and watch it. :p :D

lilsarah
Jan 9, 2007, 06:28 PM
All I'm getting is the quick time logo and a spinning wheel. It says 'negotiating' Is that just because it's too busy? I'm using Safari and Quicktime so surely it should work?

aswitcher
Jan 9, 2007, 06:28 PM
They should just put this up into iTunes.

MattyMac
Jan 9, 2007, 06:30 PM
Ok I just sat on my bed...I have my 12 in Powerbook on my lap, my 14oz Dunkin Donuts coffee, a vanilla frosted with sprinkes and a sugared jelly donut sitting next to me.

Now I'm gonna watch the Keynote. See you in around 2 hours:D

AtHomeBoy_2000
Jan 9, 2007, 06:43 PM
Apple REALLY needs to make this as a free download from iTunes. :)

ShermDog
Jan 9, 2007, 06:47 PM
Just watched the Keynote--it was great overall. I love the iPhone, and it definitely deserved the bulk of the Keynote, but I can't believe there was absolutely no mention of the new Airport Base Station, or that many of the most recently sold laptops and desktops could take advantage of 802.11n.

mkjellman
Jan 9, 2007, 06:48 PM
that was one hell of a keynote. steve, if you read this, i love you.

AtHomeBoy_2000
Jan 9, 2007, 06:51 PM
that was one hell of a keynote. steve, if you read this, i love you.

He just gave us a sneak peak at what the future of the iPod is. Not the iPhone, but the future interface for the iPod.

ebunton
Jan 9, 2007, 06:57 PM
Where is it?

Hopefully there'll be another event very soon to introduce other stuff.

emaja
Jan 9, 2007, 07:13 PM
Anyone have any ideas why I am able to see the video from the keynote stream but am getting no audio? Please help!

Something probably changed your default MIDI preferences. Open Garage Band and play a sample loop. This will reset the defaults and if that was the cause of the missing audio, it will return.

joelovesapple
Jan 9, 2007, 07:14 PM
Shame I can't watch. Other than it being too late in the UK, when I do try, it cuts out my Airport WIFI connection.:rolleyes:

freeny
Jan 9, 2007, 07:15 PM
I stiil hope for a true vidpod this week. the phones widescreen is nice but 8GB wont really hold more then a flick or so.

The phone is gorgeous though.

iJawn108
Jan 9, 2007, 07:28 PM
Steve looks good. I bet no one will question his health this time around.

I was thinking the same. At the WWDC he wasn't looking himself.

jimN
Jan 9, 2007, 07:31 PM
I can't believe this thing has so many negative votes. Watched it through with a few break-ups from about 10pm local time.

Watching the iPhone in action really makes me want one. And there was me thinking that a phone contract that expire in a year would be a bad thing!

Zadillo
Jan 9, 2007, 07:35 PM
I stiil hope for a true vidpod this week. the phones widescreen is nice but 8GB wont really hold more then a flick or so.

The phone is gorgeous though.

The widescreen video iPod using this same technology seems like it is clearly inevitable, but I expect it might not actually come out for a little while (or if it does come out before the iPhone, I would expect a special event in March or April).

twoodcc
Jan 9, 2007, 07:43 PM
Heh... "Due to exceptional demand, your request could not be completed..."

that's what i expected......gonna wait til later to watch it....but i'm gonna watch it .....

macfan881
Jan 9, 2007, 07:53 PM
ill watch it when i wake up wish you could download keynotes instead of stream cause its so bad to view the time its on after it im excited bout parmaount to think i May Dl Star Trek VI on to my ipod since its one of my fav movies and fav star Trek movie did Steve mention how many movie Dls have there been since it started id be curious to find out?

macfan881
Jan 9, 2007, 07:56 PM
The widescreen video iPod using this same technology seems like it is clearly inevitable, but I expect it might not actually come out for a little while (or if it does come out before the iPhone, I would expect a special event in March or April).
yeah somthing for the coolege/highschool grads to get presents for would make sense maybe run the macbook ipod deal again

lamina
Jan 9, 2007, 08:04 PM
I have QTPro, how do I save the keynote to my hard drive?

lamina
Jan 9, 2007, 08:06 PM
ill watch it when i wake up wish you could download keynotes instead of stream cause its so bad to view the time its on after it im excited bout parmaount to think i May Dl Star Trek VI on to my ipod since its one of my fav movies and fav star Trek movie did Steve mention how many movie Dls have there been since it started id be curious to find out?

That is probably the worst, hardest to read run-on sentence I've seen in a long time.

brepublican
Jan 9, 2007, 08:07 PM
Listening to the dude from Cingular is painful. And I heard someone say Steve is losing his Charisma?? Gosh, this guys is just... idk. He makes Dubya look like the orator of the century :o

Zadillo
Jan 9, 2007, 08:09 PM
I have QTPro, how do I save the keynote to my hard drive?

I don't think it lets you save streaming video, unless I'm mistaken.

brepublican
Jan 9, 2007, 08:11 PM

Yeah, Steve talks about a 'Widescreen video iPod' as a separate things thats just part of the iPhone. I'm expecting a seperate one soon. Don't know about others, but I'm really really excited about the coming months :)

Zadillo
Jan 9, 2007, 08:18 PM
Yeah, Steve talks about a 'Widescreen video iPod' as a separate things thats just part of the iPhone. I'm expecting a seperate one soon. Don't know about others, but I'm really really excited about the coming months :)

One thing I'm hoping for eventually is that Apple does go ahead and enable wireless synching and music downloading. Now that Apple has finally added bluetooth and wifi, it seems natural. Same with the Zune actually; it's kind of silly to have wifi on the device and not allow for wireless transfer of music.

SiliconAddict
Jan 9, 2007, 08:24 PM
10 big questions about the iPhone
http://bla.st/site/blog/40/
The keynote answered at least one question (the dock connector)

I've got another question to add. Someone in the feedback thread on news.com said it has GPS. I called BS since the specs on Apple's website has nothing about GPS. Anyone? I would wet myself again, MR Link (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?p=3230900&posted=1#post3230900) if there was GPS and Google Maps in this thing.

valdore
Jan 9, 2007, 08:25 PM
I'm kind of disappointed with the offings from this macworld expo, mainly because I was really hoping for some hardware news concerning the mac computers. I wish they'd hurry up and give the iMac a new form factor.

Digital Skunk
Jan 9, 2007, 08:26 PM
There will be more product updates. Especially with the iPod. The interface needs an update. As a matter of fact, after looking at the UI on the iPhone... the iPod UI is kinda outmodish. I have a really good feeling that Apple will incorporate a lot of that newly patented tech into future revisions of the iPod and even some new kind of Mac or Mac periphrial :D Like a keyboard or mouse.

I hope no one wants to complain about anything. The only thing worth whining about is the un-unlocked feature of the iPhone:mad: :mad: :mad: . I talked it over with my girlfriend. We may just switch to Cingular... but it is not like we really want to...:( Anyway... can't wait to get my grubby little hands on that new Airport Extreme and a LaCie 1.2TB HDD. Maybe a 1.5TB G-Tech G-Raid2 if I can scrap up an extra $600.

Me Needy iPhony..!!!:cool: :D :cool: :D

Reverend Wally
Jan 9, 2007, 08:26 PM
I just finished watching the whole thing.

I need a lot of money, so I can get the phone, the router, and the Apple TV.

Watch out MS .... here comes Apple.

:cool:

Zadillo
Jan 9, 2007, 08:27 PM
I'm kind of disappointed with the offings from this macworld expo, mainly because I was really hoping for some hardware news concerning the mac computers. I wish they'd hurry up and give the iMac a new form factor.

The rumor mill has been indicating that over the next couple of months Apple will be making updates and announcements relating to other product lines. I think they clearly realizes that with something as big as the iPhone, other stuff would get lost in the shuffle (imagine if they did unveil a new imac now, for example. It would get absolutely buried as far as news or interest goes).

Digital Skunk
Jan 9, 2007, 08:28 PM

Disappointed with Hardware offering... or disappointed because the iMac didn't get a facelift...?:confused:

Just clearing things up because Apple dropped a breakthrough device with software that is making Ballmer and Gates suck their thumbs and piss their pants.

I would have liked to see iWork and iLife 07 and a 12" MBP... but after that iPhone... who cares.

Zadillo
Jan 9, 2007, 08:29 PM
I've got another question to add. Someone in the feedback thread on news.com said it has GPS. I called BS since the specs on Apple's website has nothing about GPS. Anyone? I would wet myself again, MR Link (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?p=3230900&posted=1#post3230900) if there was GPS and Google Maps in this thing.

It's a good question. One of the articles seemed to specifically mention GPS, but beyond that it seems like all that has been revealed specifically is that it can tell your physical location. But it could be doing that just with the cellular network or something.

It does seem like actual GPS built in would be a pretty crazy additional feature, and they would mention it in the specs (heck, thinking about the price of standalone GPS units, this thing would be a steal if you could get TomTom or Garmin software on it as well).

valdore
Jan 9, 2007, 08:31 PM
Yeah, I should have clarified that. Disappointed there was no news concerning the mac computers. The phone I'm sure will be great, but it's a little pricey for me at the moment.

Zadillo
Jan 9, 2007, 08:31 PM
Disappointed with Hardware offering... or disappointed because the iMac didn't get a facelift...?:confused:

Just clearing things up because Apple dropped a breakthrough device with software that is making Ballmer and Gates suck their thumbs and piss their pants.

I would have liked to see iWork and iLife 07 and a 12" MBP... but after that iPhone... who cares.

I think that really is the reason not to do that. When you are introducing a completely new product, and you know almost all of the press coverage is going to focus on that new product, it is self-defeating to then try and cram in product refreshes and updates, even something somewhat new like a 12" MBP). It makes a lot more sense for Apple to use the next few months to unveil new products, show off Leopard at a special event, etc.

Zadillo
Jan 9, 2007, 08:35 PM
There will be more product updates. Especially with the iPod. The interface needs an update. As a matter of fact, after looking at the UI on the iPhone... the iPod UI is kinda outmodish. I have a really good feeling that Apple will incorporate a lot of that newly patented tech into future revisions of the iPod and even some new kind of Mac or Mac periphrial :D Like a keyboard or mouse.

I hope no one wants to complain about anything. The only thing worth whining about is the un-unlocked feature of the iPhone:mad: :mad: :mad: . I talked it over with my girlfriend. We may just switch to Cingular... but it is not like we really want to...:( Anyway... can't wait to get my grubby little hands on that new Airport Extreme and a LaCie 1.2TB HDD. Maybe a 1.5TB G-Tech G-Raid2 if I can scrap up an extra $600.

Me Needy iPhony..!!!:cool: :D :cool: :D

Yeah, honestly, I really do think it is guaranteed that the 6th generation iPod (to replace the 5.5G iPod) will almost definitely use this same interface, or at least that Apple will release a widescreen hard drive based iPod that will use this interface and capabilities.

I think it is as guaranteed as when Apple first released the iPod mini, and it had that new scrollwheel with the click buttons integrated into the wheel, making the bigger iPod look hopelessly outdated by comparison. You could sort of just tell that there was no way that the iPod would not be updated to use that same scrollwheel technology, and it was.

Digital Skunk
Jan 9, 2007, 08:38 PM
I think that really is the reason not to do that. When you are introducing a completely new product, and you know almost all of the press coverage is going to focus on that new product, it is self-defeating to then try and cram in product refreshes and updates, even something somewhat new like a 12" MBP). It makes a lot more sense for Apple to use the next few months to unveil new products, show off Leopard at a special event, etc.

Exactly! :cool: :cool: :cool:

Zadillo
Jan 9, 2007, 08:46 PM
Exactly! :cool: :cool: :cool:

Actually, hell, the AppleTV is almost an afterthought. It is getting almost no attention - granted, there isn't as much new about it that we didn't already know or at least guess from when they unveiled it at the "It's Showtime" event, but I think it's a pretty good illustration of why Apple didn't show off Leopard or iLife or updated Macs.

If the AppleTV, which is still at least officially a new product, is basically in the shadow of the iPhone, any other products they tried to cram into this keynote would have been completely buried.

I think the rumor mill rumblings that Apple will be making a lot of updates and announcements in the coming weeks and months seems pretty accurate.

cynerjist
Jan 9, 2007, 08:56 PM
I fully agree with the assertion that Apple wanted to leverage all of MacWorld on the iPhone with few distractions. When looking at the figures, mobile phone sales absolutely dwarf mp3 player sales worldwide. Remember the 1% = 10 million slide at the keynote?

I would like to see them diversify the iPhone lineup by providing a lower end model at a reduced price. I realize that won't happen for some time, but I do believe it will be a key battle to win the war. Parents will have a hard time shelling out for a phone that costs the same as a PS3.

Zadillo
Jan 9, 2007, 09:01 PM
I fully agree with the assertion that Apple wanted to leverage all of MacWorld on the iPhone with few distractions. When looking at the figures, mobile phone sales absolutely dwarf mp3 player sales worldwide. Remember the 1% = 10 million slide at the keynote?

I would like to see them diversify the iPhone lineup by providing a lower end model at a reduced price. I realize that won't happen for some time, but I do believe it will be a key battle to win the war. Parents will have a hard time shelling out for a phone that costs the same as a PS3.

I think Apple will. Just as the iPod line has branched out to include things like the Nano and Shuffle, I definitely expect to see multiple iPhones that would address different price points.

And I think the price naturally will drop as well, just as the iPod's price has (remember, the original iPod launched at $499. And now the highest end iPod, with features and storage that dwarf the original, sells for $349). And I think that's especially natural with phones (it seems pretty common when a brand new phone launches that it is really expensive, and the price comes down over its lifespan). I mean, I had to pay Cingular $450 for my Treo 650 with a 2 year contract a year and a half ago, and you can now get a Treo 680 for $200.

Digital Skunk
Jan 9, 2007, 09:02 PM

Very good point. I pray that if Apple wants to make inroads into the cellular phone industry, they will have to make a more diverse lineup like they have with the iPod. I am pretty sure that if they do they will make it as simple as the iPod line-up... three or four models at most... one of them being some ultra cool:cool: ultra smooth:cool: ultra thin and small:cool: :D phone with some cool syncing features but not a "smartphone" like the iPhone..

Hopefully they will intro them by the beginning of next year with an UNLOCKED iPHONE! :cool: :D :rolleyes:

I see Zadillo beat me to it... darn...couldn't type fast enough!!

Lixivial
Jan 9, 2007, 09:05 PM
Wow.

That Steve definitely reminded me of the 1984 Steve. His voice had that high-pitched excitement that showed that this was a product he truly felt was revolutionary. He made me completely forget about Leopard, iLife and the other products I expected to hear about. Good to see he's still got it, and if this was his last great keynote, I'd not be at all disappointed.

Digital Skunk
Jan 9, 2007, 09:08 PM
I.....:( :( :( :( Typing TOO fast this time......

Digital Skunk
Jan 9, 2007, 09:10 PM
I can't restrain myself from looking at that dag on iPhone! :( :( :(

I am going to need therapy for this new syndrome. Apple Acquisition Syndrome. I am really really going to be going out of my mind until this phone gets on the market. :rolleyes:

darwen
Jan 9, 2007, 09:12 PM
AHHHHHHHHHHHH! NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! THE UNTHINKABLE HAPPENED....

macrumorslive left out a bit of information durring the "cingular ad" portion of the keynote! Muilt-year exculsive deal with cingular. Argh! This officially sucks.

I am very upset! Hopefully that iPhone 2 takes another 2 years to create because I have a feeling that is how long their contract is with Apple.

Frisco
Jan 9, 2007, 09:14 PM
I have been bashing today's keynote in various forums. That was before I watched the keynote. Now I love it. The iPhone is simply amazing. Exactly as one would expect from Apple. This really does have potential to be as revolutionary to the mobile market as the iPod was to the mp3 market.

I want my iPhone now!!

Zadillo
Jan 9, 2007, 09:22 PM
AHHHHHHHHHHHH! NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! THE UNTHINKABLE HAPPENED....

macrumorslive left out a bit of information durring the "cingular ad" portion of the keynote! Muilt-year exculsive deal with cingular. Argh! This officially sucks.

I am very upset! Hopefully that iPhone 2 takes another 2 years to create because I have a feeling that is how long their contract is with Apple.

There aren't very many other cell providers Apple could partner with, and as we are finding out, Cingular was probably one of the only companies that was willing to let Apple do everything they wanted, and even actually add functionality that no other cell provider does, such as the visual voicemail function.

Not to mention that some of the providers that people wish Apple had partnered with wouldn't work for one reason or other (i.e. Verizon, which probably wouldn't want to let Apple offer the full functionality).

MattyMac
Jan 9, 2007, 09:27 PM
Dumb question...I just watched the entire keynot..Truly Amazing!

...but does the iPhone take any video? Would be sweeet but it doesnt look like it. I was hoping for video conferencing...but no loss.

Seems like they can update things like this at a later time.

I CANNOT WAIT UNTIL JUNE!

Digital Skunk
Jan 9, 2007, 09:30 PM
There aren't very many other cell providers Apple could partner with, and as we are finding out, Cingular was probably one of the only companies that was willing to let Apple do everything they wanted, and even actually add functionality that no other cell provider does, such as the visual voicemail function.

Not to mention that some of the providers that people wish Apple had partnered with wouldn't work for one reason or other (i.e. Verizon, which probably wouldn't want to let Apple offer the full functionality).

Apple could have made an unlocked iPhone and just had the visual voicemail work only on Cingular for a while. Then the full features could have been released once Verizon and Sprint and T-Mobile caught up. That way... :rolleyes: I could of at least had the phone with my crappy Sprint service for a year or so.

But not now... I have to switch to Cingular (which is what they wanted me to do in the first place :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: ) just to get this amazing device of my dreams. :( :( :( :( Urghh!

Zadillo
Jan 9, 2007, 09:32 PM
Apple could have made an unlocked iPhone and just had the visual voicemail work only on Cingular for a while. Then the full features could have been released once Verizon and Sprint and T-Mobile caught up. That way... :rolleyes: I could of at least had the phone with my crappy Sprint service for a year or so.

But not now... I have to switch to Cingular (which is what they wanted me to do in the first place :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: ) just to get this amazing device of my dreams. :( :( :( :( Urghh!

Getting it onto the CDMA providers could have been more difficult, requiring making a CDMA version.

I would not be surprised to eventually see a CDMA version down the road, but I don't see how Verizon at least will allow it (given their penchant for locking down features, etc.).

I think over the coming months it will be clearer how this phone will be able to be used on other networks, etc.

And I do expect that this is just the first iPhone; no reason not to expect other network support, 3G support, etc. in subsequent revisions.

-Zadillo

Zadillo
Jan 9, 2007, 09:33 PM
Dumb question...I just watched the entire keynot..Truly Amazing!

...but does the iPhone take any video? Would be sweeet but it doesnt look like it. I was hoping for video conferencing...but no loss.

Seems like they can update things like this at a later time.

I CANNOT WAIT UNTIL JUNE!

Good question. They didn't really seem to touch on the capabilities of the camera at all or how it will be used in the iPhone; it does seem like there wouldn't be a specific reason it couldn't capture video though.

Video conferencing would be difficult though, since it doesn't seem like there is a camera on the face; I do recall that being one of the big rumors though, that one of the main "features" of Apple's phone would be video conferencing.

Perhaps also in a future rev.

Aniej
Jan 9, 2007, 09:33 PM
if this was answered somewhere else let me know, but is there anyway to improve the quality of the quicktime video without upgrading to pro. It is not a net congestion thing, it is that you really cannot see things clearly and it looks highly blurred and pixelated?

Project
Jan 9, 2007, 09:34 PM
Steve was in great form. Something of a relief, but really, that was a top quality keynote.

MattyMac
Jan 9, 2007, 09:41 PM
Well thanks for the good answer. Hopefully it can capture video...only because it's pretty much a standard nowadays in cellular phones:rolleyes:
Good question. They didn't really seem to touch on the capabilities of the camera at all or how it will be used in the iPhone; it does seem like there wouldn't be a specific reason it couldn't capture video though.

Video conferencing would be difficult though, since it doesn't seem like there is a camera on the face; I do recall that being one of the big rumors though, that one of the main "features" of Apple's phone would be video conferencing.

Perhaps also in a future rev.

digitalbiker
Jan 9, 2007, 09:46 PM

I thought that a law was passed in the US that all cell phones manufactured after 2006 be equipped with GPS chips incorporated in the design. Primarily so that service providers and emergency vehicles could track and find the caller.

However I don't know if the phone manufacturer has direct access to this chip information or if this is something internal to the cell phone providers equipment.

ImAlex
Jan 9, 2007, 09:58 PM
The iPhone is very nice. But otherwise the keynote is just disappointing. No Mac OS X Leopard presentation, no new Macs, no new iLife '07 or iWork '07, no new software product, no new displays.

The event is called MacWorld not iPodWorld. :mad:

And the Apple TV was just a name change some just some new features.

Also the keynote stream is not accessible, damnit Apple!

Zadillo
Jan 9, 2007, 10:00 PM
Just watching the keynote right now.

One thing that I missed in the macrumors coverage is that Steve pretty clearly said that they are on the GSM bandwagon and roadmap, and they are in fact planning on 3G and other things in the future. So for anyone concerned about that, it does seem like Apple is going to be doing that eventually.

Xyl
Jan 9, 2007, 10:01 PM
Good god that Cingular CEO was boring.

:D Couldn't agree more, it would be less boring if I had to stare at that black copyright screen at the front for two minutes.

ImAlex
Jan 9, 2007, 10:06 PM

One thing that I missed in the macrumors coverage is that Steve pretty clearly said that they are on the GSM bandwagon and roadmap, and they are in fact planning on 3G and other things in the future. So for anyone concerned about that, it does seem like Apple is going to be doing that eventually.

How can it work for you? The keynote? It doesn't work for me.

Zadillo
Jan 9, 2007, 10:06 PM
The iPhone is very nice. But otherwise the keynote is just disappointing. No Mac OS X Leopard presentation, no new Macs, no new iLife '07 or iWork '07, no new software product, no new displays.

Again, the iPhone is much more of a Mac than an iPod. It's running OS X and OS X apps. It happens to also be a much better iPod than the actual iPod is right now as well (and it is clearly a precursor to what the next generation iPod will be like).

Also, Apple will be unveiling the stuff you asked for in the coming weeks and months. It would have been pointless for Apple to release new Macs now, they would have been completely buried as news stories (heck, the AppleTV has been buried as a news story).

Digital Skunk
Jan 9, 2007, 10:07 PM
Getting it onto the CDMA providers could have been more difficult, requiring making a CDMA version.

I would not be surprised to eventually see a CDMA version down the road, but I don't see how Verizon at least will allow it (given their penchant for locking down features, etc.).

I think over the coming months it will be clearer how this phone will be able to be used on other networks, etc.

And I do expect that this is just the first iPhone; no reason not to expect other network support, 3G support, etc. in subsequent revisions.

-Zadillo

You are right. :) :) There is usually a reason why they would have done that that I can not understand right now. There usually is an underlying reason why Apple will have to settle for less in the beginning but win out in the end.

But I will be switching to Cingular in June.... No Doubts in my mind..! :D

Zadillo
Jan 9, 2007, 10:07 PM

I don't know, it's working fine. I did refresh the Macworld keynote page though and then clicked on the video link again and it worked.

Zadillo
Jan 9, 2007, 10:11 PM
You are right. :) :) There is usually a reason why they would have done that that I can not understand right now. There usually is an underlying reason why Apple will have to settle for less in the beginning but win out in the end.

But I will be switching to Cingular in June.... No Doubts in my mind..! :D

The Time article seems to answer a lot of that; Apple actually didn't want to settle for less in this case, which limited the possible partners - I get the feeling that Cingular might have been the only company willing to actually take a chance on the iPhone and actually let a device on their network that wasn't crippled (i.e. no internet access through wifi, no limits on the music you can put on it or where you can download ringtones from, etc.). And the Time article also revealed that Cingular actually was willing to make changes to how their system works to accomodate specific functionality of the iPhone (namely the "visual voicemail" stuff, which you otherwise couldn't really do).

I think that it's inevitable that the iPhone will branch out to other providers (in the keynote Steve hinted at future iPhones supporting 3G and other stuff). But he did say they were fully on the GSM bandwagon, so while that does indicate that other GSM providers should be fine, I am not sure if Apple will ever make a CDMA version (or even if they did, if Verizon and/or Sprint would want it on their network).

ImAlex
Jan 9, 2007, 10:21 PM
Again, the iPhone is much more of a Mac than an iPod. It's running OS X and OS X apps. It happens to also be a much better iPod than the actual iPod is right now as well (and it is clearly a precursor to what the next generation iPod will be like).

Also, Apple will be unveiling the stuff you asked for in the coming weeks and months. It would have been pointless for Apple to release new Macs now, they would have been completely buried as news stories (heck, the AppleTV has been buried as a news story).

Don't agree with you. They almost promised to show Mac OS X Leopard on MacWorld. I am disappointed.

I don't know, it's working fine. I did refresh the Macworld keynote page though and then clicked on the video link again and it worked.

Okey. It just show some loading QuickTime icons on that page.

Zadillo
Jan 9, 2007, 10:25 PM
Don't agree with you. They almost promised to show Mac OS X Leopard on MacWorld. I am disappointed.

When did they promise to show Mac OS X Leopard at Macworld? The only thing Steve has ever promised about it was that there were some secrets to show, and that it would be out in the Spring of this year.

Again, spending time on Leopard here would have been pointless. At best, with the focus on the iPhone, they could have just shown maybe one or two new features we haven't seen yet. But all signs point to Leopard being a pretty major release, and the only way to do Leopard justice is with a dedicated presentation. You couldn't do two completely major unveilings at the same keynote, and Leopard would have been overshadowed no matter what by the iPhone.

It makes a lot more sense for Apple to have gotten the iPhone unveiled and let people start thinking about it, and then pull the curtains away and show all the secret Leopard stuff at a separate dedicated event closer to when Leopard will be ready to release.

A half-hearted presentation of Leopard would have also been bad because people would have basically taken it as "That's it? That's all you have to go up against Vista?" - which wouldn't have been true, but it would have been perceived that way.

Rocketman
Jan 9, 2007, 11:24 PM
The iPhone is very nice. But otherwise the keynote is just disappointing.

I can see why you might say that if you are a "Mac" zealot.

However, consider this. The Intel Mac roll-out happened smoothly without any glitches at all, some even ahead of schedule. That left Apple high and dry for Macworld on the Mac side. They were all Mac-ed out!

Rocketman

twoodcc
Jan 9, 2007, 11:35 PM
so is there no higher quality keynote?

the one i'm watching is like 320 x whatever

imacdaddy
Jan 10, 2007, 12:01 AM

Not bashing MR or anything, but there's room for improvement on the next keynote live coverage. A little more descriptive and larger photos please. Engadget was very descriptive and the photos were large. Perhaps employ a faster typist and buy a better camera? :p But all-in-all 7.5/10 for your efforts and presentation MR. Thanks for providing me with minute-to-minute updates. :)

imacdaddy
Jan 10, 2007, 12:08 AM
Just finished watching the Keynote. I'm lost for words. That iPhone was exactly what the mobile industry needed...a mobile device that converged technologies seamlessly!

Too high tech. I guess we are all "Last Century"

kahos
Jan 10, 2007, 12:15 AM
Are there any mirrors I could download the keynote from?

I've been trying to stream it for a couple hours but it won't work for some reason...

stealthman1
Jan 10, 2007, 01:02 AM
WOW!!! I was excited this morning, after streaming it onto my 61 inch Samsung via MBP once the traffic slowed...I guess I better get to ordering my Apple TV!
iPhone. Holy sheet that is cool. Reading about it, seeing it on the Apple website, just did no justice to the seminar Steve held on it. I don't care if I eat my T-mobile contract for a year, that baby is mine!
I agree, there was no point in really digging into anything else. iPhone just knocks the wind out of everything...I just can't imagine sitting around holding a Zune and having to watch that Keynote. At some point MSFT is going to be a better investment as a short than AAPL is long.:D

ImAlex
Jan 10, 2007, 01:06 AM

And the Apple TV was just a name change some just some new features.

Okey. It just show some loading QuickTime icons on that page.

When did they promise to show Mac OS X Leopard at Macworld? The only thing Steve has ever promised about it was that there were some secrets to show, and that it would be out in the Spring of this year.

Again, spending time on Leopard here would have been pointless. At best, with the focus on the iPhone, they could have just shown maybe one or two new features we haven't seen yet. But all signs point to Leopard being a pretty major release, and the only way to do Leopard justice is with a dedicated presentation. You couldn't do two completely major unveilings at the same keynote, and Leopard would have been overshadowed no matter what by the iPhone.

It makes a lot more sense for Apple to have gotten the iPhone unveiled and let people start thinking about it, and then pull the curtains away and show all the secret Leopard stuff at a separate dedicated event closer to when Leopard will be ready to release.

A half-hearted presentation of Leopard would have also been bad because people would have basically taken it as "That's it? That's all you have to go up against Vista?" - which wouldn't have been true, but it would have been perceived that way.

I can see why you might say that if you are a "Mac" zealot.

However, consider this. The Intel Mac roll-out happened smoothly without any glitches at all, some even ahead of schedule. That left Apple high and dry for Macworld on the Mac side. They were all Mac-ed out!

Rocketman

Yeah, maybe they will release the other products on MacWorld.

Just finished watching the Keynote. I'm lost for words. That iPhone was exactly what the mobile industry needed...a mobile device that converged technologies seamlessly!

Too high tech. I guess we are all "Last Century"

Yupp, and it will be fun to see what etc Nokia and Sony Ericsson, BlackBerry, Palm, and these other will encounter and compete with. I think Apple is actually raising a new standard in mobilephones and that is something great.

Are there any mirrors I could download the keynote from?

I've been trying to stream it for a couple hours but it won't work for some reason...

Try to restart the computer. It worked for me when I did that.

The video stream worked now. Had to restart the computer. Wow, nice keynote actually!

mahonmeister
Jan 10, 2007, 01:42 AM
This was truly about the iPhone. I can see why Apple TV and all the other stuff only got a short segment. I wasn't that impressed with the iPhone when I saw it on Apple's site but wow, it is seriously awesome! It's out of my price range but I take back my comments about it being overpriced. It is just stunning. I'm looking forward to a great year Apple!

naco
Jan 10, 2007, 02:35 AM
there is no word on if this may be true or not, but I may be able to see into the future. Okay...the iphone has a voice recorder at the bottom of the phone and if the camera has a video capability, then once you finish recording...they go straight into your ipod part of it. then once you plug it in, you can now upload that content onto your computer with the new itunes that will be coming out with it. (build at least) kind of like the "transfer purchases from ipod" tool. so then it never gets deleted off your iphone because it will auto sync with your computer.

GENIUS! :D

Evangelion
Jan 10, 2007, 09:09 AM
Mark my words: pretty soon we will get a special even where Apple will announce

a) Updates on the Macs
b) All-new 6G iPod, based on iPhone-technology
c) Beatles in iTMS

and hopefully

d) Movies and TV-shows being made available internationally

That would make for a nice special-event. Hell, they might even show off iLife during the event as well!

Zadillo
Jan 10, 2007, 09:11 AM
Mark my words: pretty soon we will get a special even where Apple will announce

a) Updates on the Macs
b) All-new 6G iPod, based on iPhone-technology
c) Beatles in iTMS

and hopefully

d) Movies and TV-shows being made available internationally

That would make for a nice special-event. Hell, they might even show off iLife during the event as well!

I agree, I think these things are all certainties, although possibly not all at the same event. I can see a new iPod event where they might also announce Beatles on iTMS, but probably a separate event for updated Macs.

Evangelion
Jan 10, 2007, 09:35 AM
I agree, I think these things are all certainties, although possibly not all at the same event. I can see a new iPod event where they might also announce Beatles on iTMS, but probably a separate event for updated Macs.

Well, going throught the updated Macs might take about 15-20 minutes. They are just updates, not entirely new product. the 6G iPod might take a bit longer, since it would be a new product. But let's give it 20 minutes as well. Beatles might take... 5-10 minutes. So that would take about 50 minutes. Add to that the international videostore, and you get a nice 1h (more or less) event out of it. Adding iLife and/or maybe Leopard in to the mix would make it about 1.5h event.

Zadillo
Jan 10, 2007, 09:42 AM
Well, going throught the updated Macs might take about 15-20 minutes. They are just updates, not entirely new product. the 6G iPod might take a bit longer, since it would be a new product. But let's give it 20 minutes as well. Beatles might take... 5-10 minutes. So that would take about 50 minutes. Add to that the international videostore, and you get a nice 1h (more or less) event out of it. Adding iLife and/or maybe Leopard in to the mix would make it about 1.5h event.

I wouldn't underestimate what the next round of Mac updates has in store.

Many people have noted that most of the existing Mac designs haven't changed much (with the MacBook being the most "changed" from the iBook that preceded it). The MacBook Pro and Mac Pro and iMac and Mac mini even are all seen as being pretty ripe for significant changes.

I recall reading that Apple actually intentionally kept the Mac lineup "looking" the same this past year, specifically because they didn't want to do both the Intel transition AND completely overhaul the Mac product line. The thinking was that by keeping the models looking like the Macs we're familiar with, it made the transition less jarring, and emphasized the idea that even though they now have Intel processors inside, they are still Macs.

Now that the Intel transition has been a success, Apple is free to once again do some more radical upgrades/changes.

I think the one most ripe for a change would be the MacBook Pro, which probably has the fundamentally oldest "design" (especially if one thinks of the current look as being more of a refinement on the original PowerBook G4, even though it is of course somewhat different). And with the upcoming Intel Santa Rosa platform, it would be an appropriate time for Apple to really do something new with the laptop line.

The MacBook is probably less in need of an update, as it is already a well received design, but I wouldn't be surprised to see something new happen there too.

bowens
Jan 10, 2007, 10:34 AM
Does anybody know if there is anywhere to download the keynote video? I don't have high-speed at the house and I don't want to waste 2 hours watching it at work, so I would like to download it to take it home and watch it there. Sorry, run on sentence. I remember after WWDC 06 there was a site that posted it for download but I don't remember who it was.

Icewind
Jan 10, 2007, 10:34 AM
I think the one most ripe for a change would be the MacBook Pro, which probably has the fundamentally oldest "design" (especially if one thinks of the current look as being more of a refinement on the original PowerBook G4, even though it is of course somewhat different). And with the upcoming Intel Santa Rosa platform, it would be an appropriate time for Apple to really do something new with the laptop line.

I think I remember something from last year (during the transition to Intel) when Steve said something like "We have deliberately tried to keep the design of the Macbbook Pro's to be as similar to Powerbook's as possible, because we believe that they are 'close to perfection'."

...Or something along those lines.

I might have been on crack or something though at the time :D

applemax
Jan 10, 2007, 11:25 AM
Hey

Does anyone know why my movie is being displayed as 160x120 or something? When I click on the link on the page it brings this size up. But larger sizes work fine!

How do I change this?

Thanks

avensis087
Jan 10, 2007, 10:47 PM
I've tried viewing this keynote 5 or 6 separate times after restarts and shut downs and I still can't get audio to play. Video looks fantastic...audio works for every other application i've got...does anybody have any helpful advice?

mr

mrkramer
Jan 10, 2007, 11:48 PM
Hey

Does anyone know why my movie is being displayed as 160x120 or something? When I click on the link on the page it brings this size up. But larger sizes work fine!

How do I change this?

Thanks

I think that they are playing it at that size to save bandwidth, but I don't know since I haven't been able to get it to load yet.

Daveway
Jan 11, 2007, 11:48 PM
Apple has posted the keynote for download on iTunes. Its on the front page.

Enjoy!

iNoles
Jan 12, 2007, 01:31 AM
Apple has posted the keynote for download on iTunes. Its on the front page.

Enjoy!

what is a link to it? i couldn't find it in apple front page.

MBHockey
Jan 12, 2007, 09:24 AM
http://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewPodcast?id=212293773&s=143441&i=13433123

macEfan
Jan 12, 2007, 09:27 AM
what is a link to it? i couldn't find it in apple front page.

its on the itunes store's front page

zac4mac
Jan 14, 2007, 01:46 PM
For your viewing pleasure, may I present a self-proclaimed victim of the famed RDF™

"I have been bashing today's keynote in various forums. That was before I watched the keynote. Now I love it. The iPhone is simply amazing. Exactly as one would expect from Apple. This really does have potential to be as revolutionary to the mobile market as the iPod was to the mp3 market.

I want my iPhone now!!

Sorry - couldn't resist. Just finished watching the keynote, but I already wanted it. Hurry up June and 600 bucks.

Z