Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MattyMac

macrumors 68000
Oct 6, 2005
NJ/NYC
Well thanks for the good answer. Hopefully it can capture video...only because it's pretty much a standard nowadays in cellular phones:rolleyes:
Good question. They didn't really seem to touch on the capabilities of the camera at all or how it will be used in the iPhone; it does seem like there wouldn't be a specific reason it couldn't capture video though.

Video conferencing would be difficult though, since it doesn't seem like there is a camera on the face; I do recall that being one of the big rumors though, that one of the main "features" of Apple's phone would be video conferencing.

Perhaps also in a future rev.

digitalbiker

macrumors 65816
Apr 24, 2002
The Road
I've got another question to add. Someone in the feedback thread on news.com said it has GPS. I called BS since the specs on Apple's website has nothing about GPS. Anyone? I would wet myself again, MR Link if there was GPS and Google Maps in this thing.

I thought that a law was passed in the US that all cell phones manufactured after 2006 be equipped with GPS chips incorporated in the design. Primarily so that service providers and emergency vehicles could track and find the caller.

However I don't know if the phone manufacturer has direct access to this chip information or if this is something internal to the cell phone providers equipment.

ImAlex

macrumors regular
Mar 16, 2006
Disappointed!

The iPhone is very nice. But otherwise the keynote is just disappointing. No Mac OS X Leopard presentation, no new Macs, no new iLife '07 or iWork '07, no new software product, no new displays.

The event is called MacWorld not iPodWorld. :mad:

And the Apple TV was just a name change some just some new features.

Also the keynote stream is not accessible, damnit Apple!

Zadillo

macrumors 68000
Jan 29, 2005
Baltimore, MD
Just watching the keynote right now.

One thing that I missed in the macrumors coverage is that Steve pretty clearly said that they are on the GSM bandwagon and roadmap, and they are in fact planning on 3G and other things in the future. So for anyone concerned about that, it does seem like Apple is going to be doing that eventually.

ImAlex

macrumors regular
Mar 16, 2006

One thing that I missed in the macrumors coverage is that Steve pretty clearly said that they are on the GSM bandwagon and roadmap, and they are in fact planning on 3G and other things in the future. So for anyone concerned about that, it does seem like Apple is going to be doing that eventually.

How can it work for you? The keynote? It doesn't work for me.

Zadillo

macrumors 68000
Jan 29, 2005
Baltimore, MD
The iPhone is very nice. But otherwise the keynote is just disappointing. No Mac OS X Leopard presentation, no new Macs, no new iLife '07 or iWork '07, no new software product, no new displays.

Again, the iPhone is much more of a Mac than an iPod. It's running OS X and OS X apps. It happens to also be a much better iPod than the actual iPod is right now as well (and it is clearly a precursor to what the next generation iPod will be like).

Also, Apple will be unveiling the stuff you asked for in the coming weeks and months. It would have been pointless for Apple to release new Macs now, they would have been completely buried as news stories (heck, the AppleTV has been buried as a news story).

Digital Skunk

macrumors G3
Dec 23, 2006
In my imagination
Okay Okay.... I am Okay now...

Getting it onto the CDMA providers could have been more difficult, requiring making a CDMA version.

I would not be surprised to eventually see a CDMA version down the road, but I don't see how Verizon at least will allow it (given their penchant for locking down features, etc.).

I think over the coming months it will be clearer how this phone will be able to be used on other networks, etc.

And I do expect that this is just the first iPhone; no reason not to expect other network support, 3G support, etc. in subsequent revisions.

-Zadillo

You are right. :) :) There is usually a reason why they would have done that that I can not understand right now. There usually is an underlying reason why Apple will have to settle for less in the beginning but win out in the end.

But I will be switching to Cingular in June.... No Doubts in my mind..! :D

Zadillo

macrumors 68000
Jan 29, 2005
Baltimore, MD
You are right. :) :) There is usually a reason why they would have done that that I can not understand right now. There usually is an underlying reason why Apple will have to settle for less in the beginning but win out in the end.

But I will be switching to Cingular in June.... No Doubts in my mind..! :D

The Time article seems to answer a lot of that; Apple actually didn't want to settle for less in this case, which limited the possible partners - I get the feeling that Cingular might have been the only company willing to actually take a chance on the iPhone and actually let a device on their network that wasn't crippled (i.e. no internet access through wifi, no limits on the music you can put on it or where you can download ringtones from, etc.). And the Time article also revealed that Cingular actually was willing to make changes to how their system works to accomodate specific functionality of the iPhone (namely the "visual voicemail" stuff, which you otherwise couldn't really do).

I think that it's inevitable that the iPhone will branch out to other providers (in the keynote Steve hinted at future iPhones supporting 3G and other stuff). But he did say they were fully on the GSM bandwagon, so while that does indicate that other GSM providers should be fine, I am not sure if Apple will ever make a CDMA version (or even if they did, if Verizon and/or Sprint would want it on their network).

ImAlex

macrumors regular
Mar 16, 2006
Again, the iPhone is much more of a Mac than an iPod. It's running OS X and OS X apps. It happens to also be a much better iPod than the actual iPod is right now as well (and it is clearly a precursor to what the next generation iPod will be like).

Also, Apple will be unveiling the stuff you asked for in the coming weeks and months. It would have been pointless for Apple to release new Macs now, they would have been completely buried as news stories (heck, the AppleTV has been buried as a news story).

Don't agree with you. They almost promised to show Mac OS X Leopard on MacWorld. I am disappointed.

I don't know, it's working fine. I did refresh the Macworld keynote page though and then clicked on the video link again and it worked.

Okey. It just show some loading QuickTime icons on that page.

Zadillo

macrumors 68000
Jan 29, 2005
Baltimore, MD
Don't agree with you. They almost promised to show Mac OS X Leopard on MacWorld. I am disappointed.

When did they promise to show Mac OS X Leopard at Macworld? The only thing Steve has ever promised about it was that there were some secrets to show, and that it would be out in the Spring of this year.

Again, spending time on Leopard here would have been pointless. At best, with the focus on the iPhone, they could have just shown maybe one or two new features we haven't seen yet. But all signs point to Leopard being a pretty major release, and the only way to do Leopard justice is with a dedicated presentation. You couldn't do two completely major unveilings at the same keynote, and Leopard would have been overshadowed no matter what by the iPhone.

It makes a lot more sense for Apple to have gotten the iPhone unveiled and let people start thinking about it, and then pull the curtains away and show all the secret Leopard stuff at a separate dedicated event closer to when Leopard will be ready to release.

A half-hearted presentation of Leopard would have also been bad because people would have basically taken it as "That's it? That's all you have to go up against Vista?" - which wouldn't have been true, but it would have been perceived that way.

Rocketman

macrumors 603
The iPhone is very nice. But otherwise the keynote is just disappointing.

I can see why you might say that if you are a "Mac" zealot.

However, consider this. The Intel Mac roll-out happened smoothly without any glitches at all, some even ahead of schedule. That left Apple high and dry for Macworld on the Mac side. They were all Mac-ed out!

Rocketman

imacdaddy

macrumors 6502a
Feb 2, 2006

Not bashing MR or anything, but there's room for improvement on the next keynote live coverage. A little more descriptive and larger photos please. Engadget was very descriptive and the photos were large. Perhaps employ a faster typist and buy a better camera? :p But all-in-all 7.5/10 for your efforts and presentation MR. Thanks for providing me with minute-to-minute updates. :)

imacdaddy

macrumors 6502a
Feb 2, 2006
Just finished watching the Keynote. I'm lost for words. That iPhone was exactly what the mobile industry needed...a mobile device that converged technologies seamlessly!

Too high tech. I guess we are all "Last Century"

kahos

macrumors member
Dec 2, 2005
Are there any mirrors I could download the keynote from?

I've been trying to stream it for a couple hours but it won't work for some reason...

stealthman1

macrumors regular
Oct 20, 2006
Ca
WOW!!! I was excited this morning, after streaming it onto my 61 inch Samsung via MBP once the traffic slowed...I guess I better get to ordering my Apple TV!
iPhone. Holy sheet that is cool. Reading about it, seeing it on the Apple website, just did no justice to the seminar Steve held on it. I don't care if I eat my T-mobile contract for a year, that baby is mine!
I agree, there was no point in really digging into anything else. iPhone just knocks the wind out of everything...I just can't imagine sitting around holding a Zune and having to watch that Keynote. At some point MSFT is going to be a better investment as a short than AAPL is long.:D

ImAlex

macrumors regular
Mar 16, 2006

And the Apple TV was just a name change some just some new features.

How can it work for you? The keynote? It doesn't work for me.

Okey. It just show some loading QuickTime icons on that page.

When did they promise to show Mac OS X Leopard at Macworld? The only thing Steve has ever promised about it was that there were some secrets to show, and that it would be out in the Spring of this year.

Again, spending time on Leopard here would have been pointless. At best, with the focus on the iPhone, they could have just shown maybe one or two new features we haven't seen yet. But all signs point to Leopard being a pretty major release, and the only way to do Leopard justice is with a dedicated presentation. You couldn't do two completely major unveilings at the same keynote, and Leopard would have been overshadowed no matter what by the iPhone.

It makes a lot more sense for Apple to have gotten the iPhone unveiled and let people start thinking about it, and then pull the curtains away and show all the secret Leopard stuff at a separate dedicated event closer to when Leopard will be ready to release.

A half-hearted presentation of Leopard would have also been bad because people would have basically taken it as "That's it? That's all you have to go up against Vista?" - which wouldn't have been true, but it would have been perceived that way.

I can see why you might say that if you are a "Mac" zealot.

However, consider this. The Intel Mac roll-out happened smoothly without any glitches at all, some even ahead of schedule. That left Apple high and dry for Macworld on the Mac side. They were all Mac-ed out!

Rocketman

Yeah, maybe they will release the other products on MacWorld.

Just finished watching the Keynote. I'm lost for words. That iPhone was exactly what the mobile industry needed...a mobile device that converged technologies seamlessly!

Too high tech. I guess we are all "Last Century"

Yupp, and it will be fun to see what etc Nokia and Sony Ericsson, BlackBerry, Palm, and these other will encounter and compete with. I think Apple is actually raising a new standard in mobilephones and that is something great.

Are there any mirrors I could download the keynote from?

I've been trying to stream it for a couple hours but it won't work for some reason...

Try to restart the computer. It worked for me when I did that.

The video stream worked now. Had to restart the computer. Wow, nice keynote actually!

mahonmeister

macrumors 6502
Jun 9, 2006
Redlands, CA
This was truly about the iPhone. I can see why Apple TV and all the other stuff only got a short segment. I wasn't that impressed with the iPhone when I saw it on Apple's site but wow, it is seriously awesome! It's out of my price range but I take back my comments about it being overpriced. It is just stunning. I'm looking forward to a great year Apple!

naco

macrumors member
Jul 30, 2006
LA area
Something that might be!

there is no word on if this may be true or not, but I may be able to see into the future. Okay...the iphone has a voice recorder at the bottom of the phone and if the camera has a video capability, then once you finish recording...they go straight into your ipod part of it. then once you plug it in, you can now upload that content onto your computer with the new itunes that will be coming out with it. (build at least) kind of like the "transfer purchases from ipod" tool. so then it never gets deleted off your iphone because it will auto sync with your computer.

GENIUS! :D

Evangelion

macrumors 68040
Jan 10, 2005
Mark my words: pretty soon we will get a special even where Apple will announce

a) Updates on the Macs
b) All-new 6G iPod, based on iPhone-technology
c) Beatles in iTMS

and hopefully

d) Movies and TV-shows being made available internationally

That would make for a nice special-event. Hell, they might even show off iLife during the event as well!

Zadillo

macrumors 68000
Jan 29, 2005
Baltimore, MD
Mark my words: pretty soon we will get a special even where Apple will announce

a) Updates on the Macs
b) All-new 6G iPod, based on iPhone-technology
c) Beatles in iTMS

and hopefully

d) Movies and TV-shows being made available internationally

That would make for a nice special-event. Hell, they might even show off iLife during the event as well!

I agree, I think these things are all certainties, although possibly not all at the same event. I can see a new iPod event where they might also announce Beatles on iTMS, but probably a separate event for updated Macs.

Evangelion

macrumors 68040
Jan 10, 2005
I agree, I think these things are all certainties, although possibly not all at the same event. I can see a new iPod event where they might also announce Beatles on iTMS, but probably a separate event for updated Macs.

Well, going throught the updated Macs might take about 15-20 minutes. They are just updates, not entirely new product. the 6G iPod might take a bit longer, since it would be a new product. But let's give it 20 minutes as well. Beatles might take... 5-10 minutes. So that would take about 50 minutes. Add to that the international videostore, and you get a nice 1h (more or less) event out of it. Adding iLife and/or maybe Leopard in to the mix would make it about 1.5h event.

Zadillo

macrumors 68000
Jan 29, 2005
Baltimore, MD
Well, going throught the updated Macs might take about 15-20 minutes. They are just updates, not entirely new product. the 6G iPod might take a bit longer, since it would be a new product. But let's give it 20 minutes as well. Beatles might take... 5-10 minutes. So that would take about 50 minutes. Add to that the international videostore, and you get a nice 1h (more or less) event out of it. Adding iLife and/or maybe Leopard in to the mix would make it about 1.5h event.

I wouldn't underestimate what the next round of Mac updates has in store.

Many people have noted that most of the existing Mac designs haven't changed much (with the MacBook being the most "changed" from the iBook that preceded it). The MacBook Pro and Mac Pro and iMac and Mac mini even are all seen as being pretty ripe for significant changes.

I recall reading that Apple actually intentionally kept the Mac lineup "looking" the same this past year, specifically because they didn't want to do both the Intel transition AND completely overhaul the Mac product line. The thinking was that by keeping the models looking like the Macs we're familiar with, it made the transition less jarring, and emphasized the idea that even though they now have Intel processors inside, they are still Macs.

Now that the Intel transition has been a success, Apple is free to once again do some more radical upgrades/changes.

I think the one most ripe for a change would be the MacBook Pro, which probably has the fundamentally oldest "design" (especially if one thinks of the current look as being more of a refinement on the original PowerBook G4, even though it is of course somewhat different). And with the upcoming Intel Santa Rosa platform, it would be an appropriate time for Apple to really do something new with the laptop line.

The MacBook is probably less in need of an update, as it is already a well received design, but I wouldn't be surprised to see something new happen there too.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.