PDA

View Full Version : What is the best Apple Computer of all time?


iBookman
May 16, 2003, 05:34 PM
What is the best Apple Computer of all time Design and Performance wise?

tazo
May 16, 2003, 06:04 PM
Regardless of what people say, I think the best mac is the one that you have, that you have made a part of your life, and an essential component of your computing lifestyle. Damn performance to hell, every mac is a work of art and does its job as such. When it comes to a mac and what it does for you, do a few periods and added s's do anything? Exactly.

bennetsaysargh
May 16, 2003, 06:11 PM
CUBE! CUBE! CUBE! CUBE! CUBE! CUBE! CUBE! CUBE! CUBE! CUBE! CUBE! CUBE! CUBE! CUBE!

THE CUBE IS THE BEST NO MATTER WHAT!

sorry if i seem a bit ecited. i just want a cube so friggin bad!

tjwett
May 16, 2003, 06:43 PM
Cube, hands down. Best one I've ever owned and I've had them all. The Cube was a work of art, and it worked beautifully. I regret selling mine every day.

wsteineker
May 16, 2003, 07:29 PM
Cube. Period. Case closed. :D

HasanDaddy
May 16, 2003, 08:07 PM
I've gotta give it up to the 17" powerbook

rjwill246
May 16, 2003, 08:13 PM
The Cube is a beautiful computer. I have just installed a Gig of memory and added PowerLogix 1 GHz processor and though the video could be improved it now really flies... and it's silent.

nef919
May 16, 2003, 08:19 PM
17" Powerbook. At least it's the best mac I've ever owned. All around that is.

mislabeledstar
May 16, 2003, 08:23 PM
performa 630cd....... my first mac, da bomb diggety

MrBillGates
May 16, 2003, 08:32 PM
I think the best Mac computer of all times is the Mac IIfx... Naturally, it doesn't have the athestics nor power of today's Mac's, but I'm looking at things from a relative perspective. The IIfx had tremendous performance and WOW factor relative to anything else out there at the time.

Also, the SE30 was pretty sweet...

tazo
May 16, 2003, 08:50 PM
wow a lot of people like the cube. (PCI) :D :D

bennetsaysargh
May 16, 2003, 08:57 PM
Originally posted by tazo
wow a lot of people like the cube. (PCI) :D :D

people like the cube because it was a consumer computer, and you could hook it up to an old moniter, or buy an apple moniter:D. it didn't have a built in moniter. apple sold more moniters that way.
i want a cube!!!

no eBay links please:(

Wyrm
May 16, 2003, 09:02 PM
Cube?!
Too bad it didn't sell well - alas, just too soon. I hope they make a low end cube so you can drive your stereo or tv with one.

Re: IIfx
I remember this, and I have to agree the WOW factor was there when I first saw one. It was the first time I saw a computer drive 2 screens! One was even colour!

I have to say the current G4 PowerMac is my favourite design.. although there are quirks (as with any product), it is a great piece of PC engineering.

-Wyrm

janey
May 16, 2003, 09:03 PM
laptop: 17" PowerBook
desktop: G4 Cube, hands down :)
all-in-one: the Twentieth Anniversary Mac (you've gotta admit it was a work of art, even though it was pretty expensive)
Monitor to go with all those computers: 23" Cinema HD Display
Peripheral to go with those computers: 30gb iPod and Griffin PowerMate

vniow
May 16, 2003, 09:09 PM
__________
| |
| |
| |
| |
| |
|__________|

MacFan25
May 16, 2003, 09:13 PM
A G4 Cube with a 23" Cinema Display! :)

amnesiac1984
May 16, 2003, 09:32 PM
The 2 ghz Powerbook 970 is the best Computer Apple ever made, although It won't be made until late 2003 early 2004.

:D :D :D :D

ibookin'
May 16, 2003, 09:43 PM
Originally posted by übergeek
all-in-one: the Twentieth Anniversary Mac (you've gotta admit it was a work of art, even though it was pretty expensive)

Since when is the TAM all in one? :D I guess it was in that the monitor and CD-ROM were in the same part, making the user interact pretty much exclusively with one part, plus the keyboard/touchpad combination.

My favorite Macs:

Desktop: The Cube. No further explanation.

Laptop: 12" PowerBook. Small, light, SuperDrive, what more could you ask for? Maybe a L3 cache and more RAM... :D

dhdave
May 16, 2003, 09:56 PM
I think the best Mac computer of all times is the Mac IIfx... Naturally, it doesn't have the athestics nor power of today's Mac's, but I'm looking at things from a relative perspective. The IIfx had tremendous performance and WOW factor relative to anything else out there at the time.

Also, the SE30 was pretty sweet...

I still have a IIfx in my collection. I love that machine. It does what it does so well. I'm moving and I've decided to give away my quadra 950, but that IIfx and it's 8 color video card are going with me. (Along with about 10 other mac museum pieces)

Not to be cliche' but I still the think the Mac Plus was the best Mac ever. I'm an old dude who's back in college and I always wanted one when they were new my first time around in college. I bought a couple on ebay and I used one exclusively for the entire summer semester last year. I wrote several papers on it. It fit on my nightstand next to the bed (isn't that where everyone does their best writing??) and it never skipped a beat. It reminded me why I love Macs and Apple in the first place.

-dh

janey
May 16, 2003, 10:01 PM
Originally posted by ibookin'
Since when is the TAM all in one? :D I guess it was in that the monitor and CD-ROM were in the same part, making the user interact pretty much exclusively with one part, plus the keyboard/touchpad combination.
technically it was all in one.

patrick0brien
May 16, 2003, 10:04 PM
-MacTV

Or maybe the Pippin.

Kidding :D

I think we haven't seen nothin' yet, but I'd have to go with the Cube as far...

ibookin'
May 16, 2003, 10:08 PM
Originally posted by übergeek
technically it was all in one.

I don't want a war about this, but it was two pieces.

janey
May 16, 2003, 10:11 PM
Originally posted by ibookin'
I don't want a war about this, but it was two pieces.
okay fine.
it was two pieces.
in that case, my favorite all in one was the 17" fp iMac
currently it's the 15"

MrBillGates
May 16, 2003, 10:16 PM
[i]Not to be cliche' but I still the think the Mac Plus was the best Mac ever. -dh [/B]

Do you have a copy of the original Tetris? It is definately the best game ever produced - and on the Mac II it was in color! I though thought the russian backgrounds and music were great. Why the heck isn't the original version re-released?

melchior
May 16, 2003, 10:20 PM
the G3 Pismo.

the best design apple ever came out with. amazing. perfect. beautiful. i loved it. so much.

i don't like the TI/ALU PB design. i love the pismo. (damned heavy though)

Mr. MacPhisto
May 16, 2003, 10:36 PM
Originally posted by melchior
the G3 Pismo.

the best design apple ever came out with. amazing. perfect. beautiful. i loved it. so much.

i don't like the TI/ALU PB design. i love the pismo. (damned heavy though)

Agreed. As much as I love the looks of the TiBooks, the iBooks (own one), and the AlumiBooks, the Pismo is just the best looking laptop ever. I really want to buy one and upgrade the processor on it just because I love those things.

For desktops I would have to say the Cube because of its design. I do hope an iCube or something comes and resurrects the idea because it would be perfect now.

I think the Cube would be perfect to make in a completely custom system. On the low-end they could sport the new IBM G3s with speeds over 1GHZ and you could use 970s on the high end.

DavidFDM
May 16, 2003, 11:24 PM
Modular:

I really liked the IIci. It was so easy to work on; one screw and everything came apart.

All-in-one:

SE/30 rocked. It was exceedingly snappy. Loved the little guy.

Laptop:

My experience is limited to the Mac Portable (Luggable), the PB 1400 and my iBook. I like my iBook the best. The 1400 was just to fragile but it served me well for a number of years.

ibookin'
May 16, 2003, 11:41 PM
Originally posted by DavidFDM
the PB 1400 and my iBook. I like my iBook the best. The 1400 was just to fragile but it served me well for a number of years.

I love the 1400. Great little machine with room to grow if you needed it.

Also, the size is somewhat similar to the iBook, which is a size that I really like.

Flynnstone
May 17, 2003, 12:00 AM
Originally posted by iBookman
What is the best Apple Computer of all time Design and Performance wise?

There is two :
The Apple I that started things rolling :D
And the new ones yet to come for performance.:p

melchior
May 17, 2003, 12:04 AM
Originally posted by ibookin'
I love the 1400. Great little machine with room to grow if you needed it.

Also, the size is somewhat similar to the iBook, which is a size that I really like.

I won't be happy until Apple has a sub-notebook!!!

figure it: 2004, 970 notebooks are in full swing. 980 desktops are set to be released and we are all hungering with anticiaption. even the ibook has moved up to 970. (maybe just a g4 :rolleyes: ) and low and behold the 1GHz gobi processor with a half-height screen (read: Toshiba Libretto) and a sweet keyboard weighing in at just 1.5lbs and 5 hours of battery.

that's what i need. that is the portable computer that will fulfill my needs.

Mblazened
May 17, 2003, 12:25 AM
Gotta be the dualie 1ghz 2002 Quicksilver!

Beautiful design, not even close to obsolete, tried-and-true system architecture,
boots os 9, and fairly quiet (especially compared to MDD's)

These models rarely require service, as well

the CUBES are Awesome though! WAY ahead of their time

Parsa
May 17, 2003, 12:26 AM
If you've ever seen the coffee table book on Apple, then you've seen all the totally cool "concept" prototypes they made. Some of those were beautiful machines. The Twentieth Anniversary Macintosh was probably the only "concept" prototype-like Mac produced. It had a leather keyboard for gosh sakes. My co-worker just got one at a steal. I saw it; it was absolutely amazing.

techne
May 17, 2003, 01:37 AM
Originally posted by melchior
the G3 Pismo.

the best design apple ever came out with. amazing. perfect. beautiful. i loved it. so much.

i don't like the TI/ALU PB design. i love the pismo. (damned heavy though)

First PB to feature Firewire and Airport.. Last G3 PB released.. Nice, organic, dark, sexy, elegant policarbonate case.. Solid built and light feel in your lap.. First PB to feature smooth DVD playing.. swappable bays to use cd-rw burners, zip drives and even an extra battery to reach almost 10 hours in the road. Apple abandoned swappable bays ideas when they released the Ti/G4 PB line. Only God knows how much I loved my Pismo.

elo
May 17, 2003, 01:42 AM
These are all cool, no question. But for me it's clearly the FP iMac. It's just perfect!

My other contender would be the original Macintosh 128K. I remember the day in school that a friend brought in a brouchure for it. We must have stared at that machine for hours. One of the most radical design statements in the twentieth century.

elo

matthew24
May 17, 2003, 02:49 AM
Atari Mega ST4, 'The poor man's Mac'. Do miss my first computer, but I am glad I got a real one now, love them all.

vollspacken
May 17, 2003, 03:50 AM
se/30... small, snappy, built-in-screen, scsi, perfect server...

and it's soooooo cute...

vSpacken

Snowy_River
May 17, 2003, 04:38 AM
Originally posted by tazo
Regardless of what people say, I think the best mac is the one that you have, that you have made a part of your life, and an essential component of your computing lifestyle. Damn performance to hell, every mac is a work of art and does its job as such. When it comes to a mac and what it does for you, do a few periods and added s's do anything? Exactly.

I'd have to agree with this, to a decided extent. For this reason, I tend to lean toward the PowerBook 3400, myself.

However, I must admit, the Cube is an incredibly elegant computer. Just a beauty to behold. (I wouldn't mind seeing it reintroduced.)

SteveG4Cube
May 17, 2003, 09:21 AM
Being the proud owner of a cube, I'd have to agree. Way ahead of it's time. I'm glad it wasnt widely accepted because now I have a collector's item! :D

Still torn between an upgrade card and 20" display or letting it retire gracefully to my collection and getting a 970...

iznAdiznam
May 17, 2003, 11:00 AM
Originally posted by Mr. MacPhisto
Agreed. As much as I love the looks of the TiBooks, the iBooks (own one), and the AlumiBooks, the Pismo is just the best looking laptop ever. I really want to buy one and upgrade the processor on it just because I love those things.

Speaking of upgrading a Pismo, I did just that. Powerlogix just came out with a G3 900MHz upgrade. I was originally going to get the Pismo G4 500MHz upgrade, but this G3 900 was so much faster, I had to go this route. They posted benchmarks on their website, and the G3 900 beat their G4 500 upgrade in everything, so, the choice was easy. I went from a Pismo 400MHz to a Pismo 900MHZ. It is incredible. I love this machine. OS X is actually snappy now. Everything is fast!!! I love it. Using XBench, I compared my benchmarks to that of other Pismos, and mine almost doubles the other benchmarks now. Incredible. A bit hot though, but that is expected. The greatest thing, is that using a utility, I can change the processor speed, to preserve battery life. And no, I'm not an employee for Powerlogix, just a very happy customer. ;)

Anyways, I think the Cube is a work of art too. Isn't it in the Smithsonian, or somewhere because of its design ingenuity?

I really love the design of the current towers (although the inside seems to be poorly designed). From an aesthetics standpoint, I love the FW800 towers, just not too crazy about the mirrored drive doors.

For all-in-one, I would have to go with the iMac, they revolutionized the computer design.

My $0.02,
Adam

XnavxeMiyyep
May 17, 2003, 04:04 PM
Originally posted by adamschneids

For all-in-one, I would have to go with the iMac, they revolutionized the computer design.

Which iMac? The G3 or the Flat-Panel? They both revolutionized computer design.:D

Freg3000
May 17, 2003, 05:15 PM
I say the original iMac-the computer that saved Apple computer. I think that it is just as unique and revolutionary as the cube was.

the future
May 17, 2003, 05:33 PM
First of all I'd like to say that the fact that so many different computers are mentioned in this thread speaks volumes about Apple and their continuing efforts to bring style and class to the computing world.

That said, for me the TiBooks are just the end all of laptop design. It can't and won't get any better than that. Everything about them is just so perfect.

iznAdiznam
May 17, 2003, 05:56 PM
Originally posted by XnavxeMiyyep
Which iMac? The G3 or the Flat-Panel? They both revolutionized computer design.:D
Hmmm, you're right, I meant the original G3 iMac, but now that I think of it, I'd say both. Although, the first iMac was just that, the first iMac. It had no predecessor, nothing with which to live up to, so, in that respect, I will say the original iMac.

-Adam

hvfsl
May 17, 2003, 06:08 PM
Originally posted by adamschneids
Hmmm, you're right, I meant the original G3 iMac, but now that I think of it, I'd say both. Although, the first iMac was just that, the first iMac. It had no predecessor, nothing with which to live up to, so, in that respect, I will say the original iMac.

-Adam

The iMac was not the first, there were the performas before it (the all in one 5000 series) and then the real original iMac that came out a few months before the iMac we know and was only sold to education people. But my vote would have to go to the iMac we all know.

iznAdiznam
May 17, 2003, 06:48 PM
Originally posted by hvfsl
The iMac was not the first, there were the performas before it (the all in one 5000 series) and then the real original iMac that came out a few months before the iMac we know and was only sold to education people. But my vote would have to go to the iMac we all know.
Well, in my opinion, the first iMac was the first iMac, a performa was not an iMac, and vice-versa. The G3 all-in-one education mac was not branded an iMac, it was an all-in-one PowerMac. I believe the iMac was incredible in terms of its design factor, its aesthetics.

If you go with your line of thinking one could say the Apple Macintosh 128K was the first all-in-one. But, there are only two iMacs, the CRT and the Flat Panel. The Performas and PowerMacs were just that, Performas and PowerMacs, maybe similar hardware inside, but different form factors, and different names.

I guess it could be argued that its all semantics.

:)

Take care of your shoes,
Adam

Vlade
May 17, 2003, 07:18 PM
Im going to say the original iMac, where would apple be without it right now?

tazo
May 17, 2003, 07:48 PM
Originally posted by Vlade
Im going to say the original iMac, where would apple be without it right now?

they might not exist perhaps?

melchior
May 17, 2003, 10:14 PM
it's interesting. i really expected a lot more people to say the cube...

bennetsaysargh
May 18, 2003, 09:07 AM
my opinion

best laptop-pismo
best all in one-origional iMac
best powermac-quicksilver 2002

best ever-CUBE

how genius was the catch phrase
G43

MacCoaster
May 18, 2003, 02:54 PM
Originally posted by ibookin'
I don't want a war about this, but it was two pieces.
I believe the second part was the speakers, no computer parts at all.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but that's what I've seen/heard.

MacsRgr8
May 18, 2003, 03:03 PM
G3 Blue and White.

Best case design, as it is very easily accessible, and even looks pretty good!
At that time they had gr8 performance, FireWire, 100 Mb ethernet onboard.....

job
May 18, 2003, 03:07 PM
Originally posted by bennetsaysargh
best all in one-origional iMac

I'd have to say the iMac DVs were the best all-in-one up to the advent of the FP iMacs. The Sage, Ruby, Indigo, etc. models later diluted the DV line, but the original DV line was fantasitc.

It was the first iMac to feature Firewire. It's system architecture was just as fast as the Pro towers in non-Altivec enhanced tasks. It had a 400Mhz G3 and an AGP accelerated Rage 128 card. It truely brought video editing to the consumers.

I'd have to say the new mid-range eMac is a throwback to the good ol' days of the iMac DV line. Oddly enough, I'd rather have a 40+lb CRT sitting on my desk than a LCD. But that's just me...;)

mymemory
May 18, 2003, 03:38 PM
Best Powerbook: Pismo (I have 3 of them)

Best tower: Power Mac 9600 series!!!!

Dual processor optional
6 PCI slots
12 Ram slots
and more...

Just imagine a new Power Mac with the same configuration. Up to 6GB of RAM!!!

9600 here (http://www.macspeedzone.com/archive/5.0/bymac/app/9600_300.html)

bennetsaysargh
May 18, 2003, 05:00 PM
The 20th Aniversary Macintosh was indeed an all in one. The speakers were seperate from the computer. There was also a sub-woofer that came with it. The sound system was by Bose.

janey
May 18, 2003, 06:39 PM
Originally posted by bennetsaysargh
The 20th Aniversary Macintosh was indeed an all in one. The speakers were seperate from the computer. There was also a sub-woofer that came with it. The sound system was by Bose.
thank you finally someone agrees with me

bennetsaysargh
May 18, 2003, 06:42 PM
Originally posted by übergeek
thank you finally someone agrees with me

i know im right because my uncle has a TAM, and i was on it for a few minutes a week or 2 ago. übergeek is right.

Foxer
May 18, 2003, 09:12 PM
The Apple //c I got on the day they arrived at my local store is my personal favorite. I used it longer than any other machine since, over five years.

donigian
Jun 4, 2003, 08:55 PM
There are three "Best" Apple Computers of all time:

The Apple // series because it helped keep Apple running while they prepared the Macintosh; it kept them in business.

The Mac Plus because it got many things right about that series. It gave users a full Meg of RAM, for one. It was the first Mac to include SCSI; it was the last Mac to have serial mice and telephone-type keyboards. It was one of the last Macs to be beige with signatures on its inside case. It was one of the first Macs to sport the new Platinum color. It was a small, almost-portable all-in-one system. It was perfectly silent - no fans, no hard drives. Perfectly silent.

The iMac G3, the Bondi Blue one. It saved Apple from bankruptcy and was a truly revolutionary computer for its time. It completely shed all legacy for the "Internet Age" - no more SCSI, ADB, or floppy drives. It shattered the PC image of boring beige boxes. It sparked a series that ran for more than three years without a major change. It introduced, if memory serves, a new advertising angle for Apple, Think Different.

ZeeOwl
Jun 4, 2003, 10:16 PM
#1: Blue & White G3. At the time, by far the best designed and most powerful mini-tower ever produced, by any company. Mine still runs perfectly after 5 years of loyal 24/7 service, and dozens of tweaks, mods and upgrades.

#2: Bondi iMac. The most revolutionary computer since the original Macintosh. I do love my futuristic flat-panel iMac, but the original was a landmark design.

#3: PowerMac 970. A New Hope. hehe

bennetsaysargh
Jun 5, 2003, 07:00 PM
Originally posted by ZeeOwl
#1: Blue & White G3. At the time, by far the best designed and most powerful mini-tower ever produced, by any company. Mine still runs perfectly after 5 years of loyal 24/7 service, and dozens of tweaks, mods and upgrades.

#2: Bondi iMac. The most revolutionary computer since the original Macintosh. I do love my futuristic flat-panel iMac, but the original was a landmark design.

#3: PowerMac 970. A New Hope. hehe

B&Ws are cool. hat kind of mods? can you post some pics?

daveg5
Jun 5, 2003, 08:07 PM
must be considered at the time of release compared to the competition.
Cube-truly unique and forward thinking. high price, no pci and bad port placement
imac oringinal- got apple rolling again, we would not be discussing this if not for the imac
Powermac g4 sawtooth, this were the fastest desktops when released ayear later and more with minimal speed progress made the g4 chip apples biggest mistake also and have kept sales stymied
Powerbook pismo, again at its time one of the fastest, under 6 pounds with weight saver, durable, dual batteries, slots all current technologies. cpu upgradable (900g3 now), also upgradable to firewire 800, usb2, airport extreme, or a pci chasis dull screen, not so then, upside down apple, graphics upgradable www.villagetromic.com
so ther you have 4 diff segments 4 diff cpu all great
for used buyers 2 way tie
powermac 8600, cpu upgradable pci slots, dual monitor out the box (if you use a tv) excellant quality svideo capture and output and excellant quality audio using real rca inputs and out nputs, 4 51/4 " accessable bays. 8 mem slots. 2 hard drives at bottom one at topand apples best keyboard ever
powermac g3 bw usb/firewire/ata 66MHZ pci 64bit 33 pci pc100/133 easy open case still in use. a bargain great second machine at 250-400 rev2 or rev run osx 10.2 well even with standard cpu.
8600 screams in os9, must upgrade and use xpostfacto for osx and os9forever for 9.2.2(very stable in both. $100-$150) very good second cpu for family and friends email, internet,photos, graphics, etc.

daveg5
Jun 5, 2003, 08:11 PM
newton, how could i haave forgotten that
ipod, it has a cpu inside and does its job as good or better then the comp and looks good doing it.
thats it

Dont Hurt Me
Jun 5, 2003, 08:14 PM
The best Apple computer of all time is the one you are using! but really the imac saved the company, kept things going and have proven to be very reliable. Maybe ill get my old 333 back from my son 1 day but we will see. He is still using it and im sure it will be going for a long time.

donigian
Jun 5, 2003, 08:16 PM
Originally posted by Dont Hurt Me
The best Apple computer of all time is the one you are using!

Wow, how original. Oh wait. That was the second post on this thread.

Gyroscope
Jun 5, 2003, 08:28 PM
Oh! It d have to be Mac II. First Mac with color and back then kick ass 68020. It made Mac popular choice among designers and in publishing houses, (Adobe Photoshop premiered on this baby) establishing the whole new market for personal computers.

daveg5
Jun 5, 2003, 09:52 PM
Originally posted by adamschneids
Speaking of upgrading a Pismo, I did just that. Powerlogix just came out with a G3 900MHz upgrade. I was originally going to get the Pismo G4 500MHz upgrade, but this G3 900 was so much faster, I had to go this route. They posted benchmarks on their website, and the G3 900 beat their G4 500 upgrade in everything, so, the choice was easy. I went from a Pismo 400MHz to a Pismo 900MHZ. It is incredible. I love this machine. OS X is actually snappy now. Everything is fast!!! I love it. Using XBench, I compared my benchmarks to that of other Pismos, and mine almost doubles the other benchmarks now. Incredible. A bit hot though, but that is expected. The greatest thing, is that using a utility, I can change the processor speed, to preserve battery life. And no, I'm not an employee for Powerlogix, just a very happy customer. ;)

Anyways, I think the Cube is a work of art too. Isn't it in the Smithsonian, or somewhere because of its design ingenuity?

I really love the design of the current towers (although the inside seems to be poorly designed). From an aesthetics standpoint, I love the FW800 towers, just not too crazy about the mirrored drive doors.

For all-in-one, I would have to go with the iMac, they revolutionized the computer design.

My $0.02,
Adam

Powerlogix should release the 900g3 upgrade for the cube then it should not need a fan like the g4 upgrades do.
http://www.xlr8yourmac.com/G3CARDS/powerlogix_G3_800/index.html
www.xlr8yourmac.com just testsd a 600 7410 g4 against powerlogix 800-900 g3 upgrades in a bw g3, i was suprized at how well the g4 did. and just think ibm has faster g3's coming soon and moto (bad word) has faster g4's, just think a pisomo with a 1.4 g3 or g4. if only www.villagetronic.com would release thier 32MB pccard video card upgrade.
Pismo rocks

daveg5
Jun 5, 2003, 09:59 PM
must be considered at the time of release compared to the competition.
Cube-truly unique and forward thinking. high price, no pci and bad port placement
imac oringinal- got apple rolling again, we would not be discussing this if not for the imac
Powermac g4 sawtooth, this were the fastest desktops when released ayear later and more with minimal speed progress made the g4 chip apples biggest mistake also and have kept sales stymied
Powerbook pismo, again at its time one of the fastest, under 6 pounds with weight saver, durable, dual batteries, slots all current technologies. cpu upgradable (900g3 now), also upgradable to firewire 800, usb2, airport extreme, or a pci chasis dull screen, not so then, upside down apple, graphics upgradable www.villagetromic.com
so ther you have 4 diff segments 4 diff cpu all great
for used buyers 2 way tie
powermac 8600, cpu upgradable pci slots, dual monitor out the box (if you use a tv) excellant quality svideo capture and output and excellant quality audio using real rca inputs and out nputs, 4 51/4 " accessable bays. 8 mem slots. 2 hard drives at bottom one at topand apples best keyboard ever
powermac g3 bw usb/firewire/ata 66MHZ pci 64bit 33 pci pc100/133 easy open case still in use. a bargain great second machine at 250-400 rev2 or rev run osx 10.2 well even with standard cpu.
8600 screams in os9, must upgrade and use xpostfacto for osx and os9forever for 9.2.2(very stable in both. $100-$150) very good second cpu for family and friends email, internet,photos, graphics, etc.

maradong
Jun 5, 2003, 11:16 PM
cube or pb 17''