PDA

View Full Version : Apple TV Shipping in February as Promised?

MacRumors
Feb 12, 2007, 05:00 PM
http://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com)

Vnunet claims (http://www.vnunet.com/vnunet/news/2174702/apple-brushes-tv-delay-rumors) to have received a short statement from an Apple spokeswoman regarding the ship date for the Apple TV:

"We're still planning to release Apple TV in February, as announced" she said.

The comment is triggered by a recent ThinkSecret report (http://www.macrumors.com/2007/02/10/apple-tv-shipments-pushed-to-march/) that the Apple TV had been pushed to the beginning of March.

The source of the confusion had been Apple's internal ship dates for Apple resellers to expect their Apple TV units. Indeed, Macworld.co.uk (http://www.macworld.co.uk/digitallifestyle/news/index.cfm?newsid=17193&pagtype=allchandate) also claimed that they were told not to expect a review unit before March.

Early customers who placed online orders through the Apple Store are still being quoted a ship date "by February 28th".

Telp
Feb 12, 2007, 05:03 PM
prolly, weve already discussed the fact that the shipment date never changed...:apple: :apple: :apple:

bbydon
Feb 12, 2007, 05:05 PM
The think secret report had always said "The first shipments of Apple TV to the company's retail stores have been pushed back to the beginning of March, Think Secret has learned."

Its everyone else who miss read it

Clive At Five
Feb 12, 2007, 05:14 PM
This proves that Apple Inc reads rumor sites.

...then again, so did Steve's acknowledgement of accidentally leaked stats for the G5's premier.

*shrugs*

-Clive

walexx
Feb 12, 2007, 05:18 PM
i hhave a friend who used to work for apple and he told me that they actually have a department that spends the whole day going thru rumour sites and the like seeing what people are saying.

I mean, talk about cheap market research. Whenever something is announced then everyone starts to whinge and whine about the product and its short comings. I guess this gives apple a good idea as to what features people want in things and what they think about the products.

With the high exposure apple now gets they need to know what people are thinking and what they require in products, and well, its always nice to know what people are saying about you :).

NewSc2
Feb 12, 2007, 05:23 PM
i hhave a friend who used to work for apple and he told me that they actually have a department that spends the whole day going thru rumour sites and the like seeing what people are saying.

I mean, talk about cheap market research. Whenever something is announced then everyone starts to whinge and whine about the product and its short comings. I guess this gives apple a good idea as to what features people want in things and what they think about the products.

With the high exposure apple now gets they need to know what people are thinking and what they require in products, and well, its always nice to know what people are saying about you :).

cant they just moderate their own Apple forums for whines and gripes? (and rumors/news)

trevorlsciact
Feb 12, 2007, 05:28 PM

Just imagine, one of us might be an undercover apple agent!

Kwill
Feb 12, 2007, 05:35 PM
Early customers who placed online orders through the Apple Store are still being quoted a ship date "by February 28th".Shipping the final day in February or the beginning of March. What's the difference? No one will actually receive one until March anyway.:rolleyes:

psycoswimmer
Feb 12, 2007, 05:35 PM

There could be someone from Apple lurking here right now as we speak! :D

On topic, that's good that the :apple: TV is going to ship as expected...

Clive At Five
Feb 12, 2007, 05:36 PM

It's him! Bag the Noob!

;)

-Clive

thirdwaver
Feb 12, 2007, 05:46 PM
Is it just me or is the difference between "Feb 28" and "The beginning of March" just a few days? Feb only has 28 days in it! Why does everyone think this is news? Are we that desperate for rumors? IMHO, This should be a page 3 or 4 post if those pages existed.

jonharris200
Feb 12, 2007, 05:47 PM

Don't focus group members normally get paid? Hello, Apple? :D

Peace
Feb 12, 2007, 05:49 PM
Is it just me or is the difference between "Feb 28" and "The beginning of March" just a few days? Feb only has 28 days in it! Why does everyone think this is news? Are we that desperate for rumors? IMHO, This should be a page 3 or 4 post if those pages existed.

hehehe

Page 3 (http://www.macrumors.com/page3) :p

EagerDragon
Feb 12, 2007, 05:52 PM

In that case ..... Steve, fix the shuffle so it can autosync podcasts and audiobooks. Not cool how podcasts and audio books can not sync like music does.

There could be someone from Apple lurking here right now as we speak! :D

On topic, that's good that the :apple: TV is going to ship as expected...

I hope so, this is the best blog anyway, where else could they be?

Peace
Feb 12, 2007, 06:00 PM
I hope so, this is the best blog anyway, where else could they be?

off topic I know .Forgive me Mods...BUT this seems to tick me off for some reason.

How do you figure MacRumors is a BLOG?

arn doesn't come in here and give his daily thoughts,rants and pics.etc..

This is a Mac Community Discussion Board.And the best I might add.

slffl
Feb 12, 2007, 06:19 PM
End of Feb vs beginning of March? What is that? Like 5 days? Geez.

EagerDragon
Feb 12, 2007, 06:24 PM
off topic I know .Forgive me Mods...BUT this seems to tick me off for some reason.

How do you figure MacRumors is a BLOG?

arn doesn't come in here and give his daily thoughts,rants and pics.etc..

This is a Mac Community Discussion Board.And the best I might add.

Mea culpa ..... The best comunity Discussion Board, ever.

surferfromuk
Feb 12, 2007, 06:41 PM
If people are going to make up junk news and tittle tattle can they at least speculate about something interesting..(like the rumored spreadsheet element of Iwork 7 - that sort of 'completes the 'office' replacement suite doesn't it!)

twoodcc
Feb 12, 2007, 06:53 PM
well the sooner the better i guess, as long as it's right. looking forward to playing with one of these in an Apple Store

caccamolle
Feb 12, 2007, 07:02 PM
chief, got nothing these days I guess.

The first one, well, ok, that was another excuse to discuss a bit the product, but you are looking desperate !!!!

MarcelV
Feb 12, 2007, 07:28 PM
Are we that desperate for rumors?

I just have one word for you: YES :D

Apple rumors, moderate dose of caffeine (read: lots of it), and one glass of red wine a day will help you getting old healthy......

psionic001
Feb 12, 2007, 08:43 PM
Mea culpa ..... The best comunity Discussion Board, ever.

I still don't get how a short story like this gets negative scores!. Can someone explain? Or is that just the secret MS operatives from the dedicated dept at MS which are tasked to watch these forums too.

Cybergypsy
Feb 12, 2007, 08:48 PM
Can't wait!

Whistleway
Feb 12, 2007, 08:58 PM
Seriously, who cares about it. It is deemed to be a flop at least this version.

zap2
Feb 12, 2007, 09:08 PM
Seriously, who cares about it. It is deemed to be a flop at least this version.

:rolleyes: I'm bet that almost everyone who bought it cares.

As for it flopping, go look at the thread about the iPod when Jobs first released it.

lukeisme09
Feb 12, 2007, 09:13 PM
i have one question..... who cares?;)

caccamolle
Feb 13, 2007, 12:21 AM
I just have one word for you: YES :D

Apple rumors, moderate dose of caffeine (read: lots of it), and one glass of red wine a day will help you getting old healthy......

agreed, but I like good stuff. Ought to be selective on the quality of each. Bad wine can kill you and so can bad caffeine, rumors may be not, but still !

Digitalclips
Feb 13, 2007, 06:49 AM
Sorry if a tad off topic .. but ATV related ...

Any tech-heads here know how to extract the HD recording from the FiOS HD recorder? Once an HD program is recorded I can output via component to various devices including my Sony HD FX1 HD camera (and obviously standard definition DVDR) but only the NTSC standard resolution letter boxed version can be recorded on my HD equipment so far. I have yet to find a way of recording a true HD version. I would like to be able to extract some recording to convert to 720p for watching again on ATV when it arrives. The Motorola recorder Verizon ship has several digital connectors including FireWire but they don't seem to be able to output a signal I can use. I am guessing what I am trying to do is impossible but thought it was worth asking. TIA.

surferfromuk
Feb 13, 2007, 06:56 AM
'deemed to be a flop' - what kind of crazy talk is that..

how can a small relatively inexpensive piece of 'elegant' apple tech that brings your mac media to your TV without having to have it ;

a) near the TV or having wires trailing across the house to the TV

b) disrupted during USE ie you can still use your mac/PC whilst someone uses Apple TV

c) with a smooth, sexy and we can be sure stable user interface.

d) Hi-def media delivery without hiccups or headaches...

Anyone who's tried any of the so called 'media players' from d-link etc will tell you that 'pretty, fun and reliable' they are not!!...This thing is set to make the whole 'media on the TV' - effortless and FUN!!!.

This product is the dog's nads - let's see the light and not the trees here folks!!..

..and more than likely to be the 'mac desktop to TV' conduit in future s/w releases

Digitalclips
Feb 13, 2007, 07:33 AM

how can a small relatively inexpensive piece of 'elegant' apple tech that brings your mac media to your TV without having to have it ;

b) disrupted during USE ie you can still use your mac/PC whilst someone uses Apple TV

c) with a smooth, sexy and we can be sure stable user interface.

Anyone who's tried any of the so called 'media players' from d-link etc will tell you that 'pretty, fun and reliable' they are not!!...This thing is set to make the whole 'media on the TV' - effortless and FUN!!!.

This product is the dog's nads - let's see the light and not the trees here folks!!..

..and more than likely to be the 'mac desktop to TV' conduit in future s/w releases

Too true :D

Someone I know bought a 'state of the art' Gateway Windows Media Center a year or so back. They have never got it to work as advertised and actually have now forgotten they bought it for that purpose. Entire system now used for web and e-mail, when it works. It is also supposed to edit DV video too. Funny thing is they bring me their DV tapes to edit in FCPro...

mdelaney123
Feb 13, 2007, 07:34 AM

You know, I know this has been pointed out already, but the Xbox 360 core system can EASILY stream HD video streams from a PC. It streams Photos, Music, and recorded TV... It can display in 1080i or 1080p...

It is $299 also. But, unlike the Apple TV, it can also play some of THE BEST video games on the market right now!

I just don't see the value in a $299 Apple TV.

(Just so I don't get totally flamed here... I own 2 Macs and 2 iPods and I am not a MS fanboy. I just use the best technology for what I need to do...)

roland.g
Feb 13, 2007, 08:24 AM
You know, I know this has been pointed out already, but the Xbox 360 core system can EASILY stream HD video streams from a PC. It streams Photos, Music, and recorded TV... It can display in 1080i or 1080p...

It is $299 also. But, unlike the Apple TV, it can also play some of THE BEST video games on the market right now!

I just don't see the value in a $299 Apple TV.

(Just so I don't get totally flamed here... I own 2 Macs and 2 iPods and I am not a MS fanboy. I just use the best technology for what I need to do...)

I use the best technology for what I need to do, and none of it has ever come from Redmond.

brianus
Feb 13, 2007, 08:33 AM

Hold on, what? You're not making any sense. It connects wirelessly to computers, not to the television. That still needs wires.

Allmec
Feb 13, 2007, 08:38 AM
Great to see the new product out so soon...
BUT...
When are Apple likely to be kicking out something that is capable of streaming the Video... seems all the current kit is G not N and all I read says need N to stream the video...

Am I missing something?
I really could do with new Powerbook Pro, but I ain't going there till they can stream the video.. any one got any inside scoops?

Nenita
Feb 13, 2007, 11:23 AM
the date set to have displays up in the stores is the 28th and inventory will be at hand (quantities depend on the store size and location) most stores have allready received their SONY Bravia TVs for the display in a small store like the one close to me they got 3 of them.
oh and Feb 28th is the last day of the month, that means that March 1st will be the start of the month, so all reports are correct, it all depends when the store gets the displays up on time or not. (Feb 28th)

:apple: :cool: :apple:

uNext
Feb 13, 2007, 11:24 AM
:apple: T.V 299.99

xbox 360 core package 299.99

???

hmm should i go after apples product because is white and gray?
or should i go with the other white product and not only have the ability to upgrade it to high definition dvds but can also stream 1080p high def???
and play "real games on it" ? geez thats a tough one.

Seriously where is the market for :apple: T.V outside apple fanatics?
the end user makes comparison in prices and how much bang they can get for every buck they spend. And the :apple: T.V is far from appealing price wise, they will see it as (no dvd? for 299.99? the only movies you can play are the ones you purchase from the itunes store? so spend 299.99 for something that will not play my dvd movies-and can only play ones i purchase from there? -tehy will see it as-i am not going to spend money on a movie i already own on dvd etc.

Seriously how do people see this as being succesful? I know we all love apple
but truth is this nothing revolutionary-they where skeptics when the ipod came out but the market was there
in plain view.

No matter what yeah the 360 is from redmond but at the end of the day,
the 360 is thousand foot steps beyond :apple: t.v. in what you will get for 299.99.

A pretty little box and interface does not justify paying for weak device
not capable of expanding.

Nenita
Feb 13, 2007, 11:41 AM

???

or should i go with the other white product and not only have the ability to upgrade it to high definition dvds but can also stream 1080p high def???

the end user makes comparison in prices and how much bang they can get for every buck they spend. And teh :apple: T.V is far from appealing price wise, they will see it as (no dvd? for 299.99? the only movies you can play are the ones you purchase from the itunes store? so spend 299.99 for something that will not play my dvd movies-and can only play ones i purchase from there?

Seriously how do people see this as being succesful?

the 360 is thousand foot steps beyond :apple: t.v. in what you will get for 299.99.

A pretty little box and interface does not justify paying for wek power device

well i hear what you have said and you do have some valid ponts; but the truth is that not all the features have been anaunced for the :apple: TV. it has a built in HD and USB port wich makes it very upgradable, also not everyone wants a box that plays hardcore games and takes more room than a 1990s VCR. as for playing only iTunes videos that is incorrect information you have. the main use for the :apple: TV is to be a suplement to your main computer a way that allows you to strem Video Pictures an other media to a TV for your viewing Pleasure. and what most of you seem to be forgeting its the Mac Mini.... the future media hub in the living room, the :apple: TV will be on secondary TVs in the house and the Mini will be in the living room with a wireless Kb and Mouse pluged to your Big screen TV and you 8211n network adapter....

why dont you let me give you a boost so you can peak outside the box, there is a whole world of posibilities out there.

mdelaney123
Feb 13, 2007, 11:47 AM
:Seriously where is the market for :apple: T.V outside apple fanatics?
the end user makes comparison in prices and how much bang they can get for every buck they spend. And teh :apple: T.V is far from appealing price wise, they will see it as (no dvd? for 299.99? the only movies you can play are the ones you purchase from the itunes store? so spend 299.99 for something that will not play my dvd movies-and can only play ones i purchase from there?

A future version of the Apple TV may have some potential, but as it stands right now, I would advise anyone considering it, to spend the same $299 on the 360.

I mean look at the diffences:

$299 Apple TV:
- Stream (Sync) content from iTunes. (720p resolution)
- Includes TV shows & movies purchased from iTunes, Music, Picures.

$299 Xbox 360:
- Stream ANY content from a PC. (Up to 1080p resolution)
- Includes TV shows you have recorded via Media Center in SD or HD, Home Movies, Internet Videos, Music, Pictures, etc.
- Plays AMAZING Xbox 360 Games in Hi-Def. (Oblivion, Gears of War, BattleField, Rainbow 6 Vegas, etc...)
- Plays AMAZING Xbox Live Games in Hi-Def (Most cost only $5)
- Plays many of the original Xbox Games
- Allows you to voice chat with friends/family in and out of games
- Includes a controller

$399 Xbox 360 ADDS:
- Download TV shows and Movies to the Xbox 360 for the same price as iTunes. (Some offered in Hi-Def, all are at least DVD Quality.)

I personally have taken all of the DVD home movies I have done (using iMovie and iDVD) and put the Video on my Vista PC. The files are saved in WMV DVD quailty format and take ~890megs of space for an hour of video. The 360 accesses them and using a really slick interface, allows my family to pull them up and watch them on my 60" TV. We have our own video server and could not be happier.

:)

why dont you let me give you a boost so you can peak outside the box, there is a whole world of posibilities out there.

The things you point out MAY happen and they may not.

Right now, you can get ALL of the functionality of the Apple TV and MORE for the same price, with a proven product that has been on the market for over a year. And the best part is you get a FREE Next Gen Gaming Sytem that has 100's of highly rated games available for it.

(I was one of the people that was hoping the Apple TV would have TiVo functionality built in... Needless to say, I was VERY disappointed when they annouced what they did...)

caccamolle
Feb 13, 2007, 12:00 PM

???

the end user makes comparison in prices and how much bang they can get for every buck they spend. And the :apple: T.V is far from appealing price wise, they will see it as (no dvd? for 299.99? the only movies you can play are the ones you purchase from the itunes store? so spend 299.99 for something that will not play my dvd movies-and can only play ones i purchase from there? -tehy will see it as-i am not going to spend money on a movie i already own on dvd etc.

Seriously how do people see this as being succesful? I know we all love apple
but truth is this nothing revolutionary-they where skeptics when the ipod came out but the market was there
in plain view.

A pretty little box and interface does not justify paying for weak device

dude, what's wrong with you ? get your xbox or whatever it is and be happy. You've got my approval !!!!

NightStorm
Feb 13, 2007, 12:17 PM
Can the Xbox360 play all the songs and videos I've purchased from iTMS over the past couple years? No? Hmm, I guess the AppleTV is a better purchase for me.

uNext
Feb 13, 2007, 12:17 PM
A future version of the Apple TV may have some potential, but as it stands right now, I would advise anyone considering it, to spend the same $299 on the 360.

$299 Apple TV:
- Stream (Sync) content from iTunes. (720p resolution)
- Includes TV shows & movies purchased from iTunes, Music, Picures.

$299 Xbox 360:
- Stream ANY content from a PC. (Up to 1080p resolution)
- Includes TV shows you have recorded via Media Center in SD or HD, Home Movies, Internet Videos, Music, Pictures, etc.
- Plays AMAZING Xbox 360 Games in Hi-Def. (Oblivion, Gears of War, BattleField, Rainbow 6 Vegas, etc...)
- Plays AMAZING Xbox Live Games in Hi-Def (Most cost only $5)
- Plays many of the original Xbox Games
- Allows you to voice chat with friends/family in and out of games
- Includes a controller

$399 Xbox 360 ADDS:
- Download TV shows and Movies to the Xbox 360 for the same price as iTunes. (Some offered in Hi-Def, all are at least DVD Quality.)

I personally have taken all of the DVD home movies I have done (using iMovie and iDVD) and put the Video on my Vista PC. The files are saved in WMV DVD quailty format and take ~890megs of space for an hour of video. The 360 accesses them and using a really slick interface, allows my family to pull them up and watch them on my 60" TV. We have our own video server and could not be happier.

:)

I own a xbobx 360 and do the same thing like you. I have been running media center since it first came out and i been waiting for a apple alternative. I seriously thought :apple: T.V will be that device until i saw what it will offer for 299.99.

I think for 299.99 apple should have included alot more features. I know how business is conducted-you never release everything at once you release updates to lure people into buying every egenration.

But apple tv is just not worth it right now.

mdelaney123
Feb 13, 2007, 12:38 PM
Can the Xbox360 play all the songs and videos I've purchased from iTMS over the past couple years? No? Hmm, I guess the AppleTV is a better purchase for me.

I agree with you. In your situation, Apple TV would be useful...

I have always stayed away from the DRM restrictions of iTunes, so I am not locked into it... I have purchase some songs from iTunes, but immediatly turned them into normal MP3s...

It will be interesting to see what Apple does with this device over the years.

But when Joe consumer compares a $299 Apple TV to a $299 Xbox 360, I think they will go for a 360.

NightStorm
Feb 13, 2007, 12:40 PM
You realize that the only reason the Xbox is as cheap as it is is that they are taking losses on each console sold in hopes of making it back on game sales. The profit margins on games sold is a lot higher than that Apple sees on iTunes sales.

That's why the Xbox can sell for the same price as the AppleTV.

Maccus Aurelius
Feb 13, 2007, 01:28 PM
Umm. Ok, perhaps I'm not alone on this but, the functionality of an XBox makes it a far cry from the ATV category. A person looking to stream their iTunes content to their television will not likely care to purchase a device which has functions he or she is not likely to use. In this case it would be video games.

I understand that the XBox can do all of the things the ATV can do, but if all you wanted was to stream content you pretty much wasted your money. The primary functions require more investment than just purchasing the console. There is still the matter of either renting or purchasing the $60 video games that the console must use to be a console at all. A hard-core gamer will spend twice or even three times over the price of their console on game media alone. So in order to take advantage of the XBox's full functionality it takes more than just $300 to get going, it takes a great deal more than that. I understand that the ATV would imply a substantial investment in iTunes content, but anyone familiar with CD's and DVD ripping software knows this isn't necessarily the case. The ATV's SOLE functionality is not fully dependent on iTunes-derived media, but the XBox's primary function is since game media is proprietary to the hardware. It's the only real way Microsoft gets any returns on the device. A console in itself is a loss of money if you never buy the games.

I don't know how much cheaper the detractors think this device SHOULD be, but I know that Apple couldn't and wouldn't very well price this thing below the price of a 30GB iPod, which is cheaper by a mere $50.

This is just to put things into perspective when you're considering either of these pieces of hardware for the specific purpose that the ATV is designed for. The XBox is a very competant piece of machinery and I wouldn't try to convince anyone otherwise, but just so you know exploiting the entire range of functions requires much more than $300. The ATV only requires a link to your iTunes content, regardless of where you actually obtained the media.

uNext
Feb 13, 2007, 01:41 PM
You realize that the only reason the Xbox is as cheap as it is is that they are taking losses on each console sold in hopes of making it back on game sales. The profit margins on games sold is a lot higher than that Apple sees on iTunes sales.

That's why the Xbox can sell for the same price as the AppleTV.

Ohh my god people are still using the same "microsoft is loosing money" excuse?

Microsoft is now making a proft for every unit they sell. (its dcoumented and recorded)

They make $ 75 per every core package i dont know how much they make per premium but i am assuming is more then 75.

Some people just cant accept the fact that apple relases duds just like every other company. Microsoft is well planted on the 299.99 market and there is no way in hell that a tech person will choose apple tv over the 360.

Both in specs and features on paper and on real life-the 360 is far superior.

since all you will do with this device is stream ituines content why price it at 299.99?

This device is no more then 199.99

the amazing slinbox is only at 249.99? a revolutionary product and if yo uask me is way better then what apple tv stands for.

Peace
Feb 13, 2007, 01:48 PM

Microsoft is now making a proft for every unit they sell. (its dcoumented and recorded)

They make $ 75 per every core package i dont know how much they make per premium but i am assuming is more then 75.

Some people just cant accept the fact that apple relases duds just like every other company. Microsoft is well planted on the 299.99 market and there is no way in hell that a tech person will choose apple tv over the 360.

since all you will do with this device is stream ituines content why price it at 299.99?

the amazing slinbox is only at 249.99? a revolutionary product and if yo uask me is way better then what apple tv stands for.

Then go buy an XBox instead of complaining all the time.Unless you just like to argue.Let people make up their own minds eh ? :)

uNext
Feb 13, 2007, 01:51 PM
Then go buy an XBox instead of complaining all the time.Unless you just like to argue.Let people make up their own minds eh ? :)

hmmmmm this a discussion forum

first i am not complaining about it because i dont own it or plan on buying it.

I own a xbox and i think i said it a couple of post above.

Forums are meant to give criticism about teh topic in hand.. According to you nobody should give in their 2 cents in a discussion forum?

Nenita
Feb 13, 2007, 01:53 PM

Documented?... sources please!...

a tech person ... you said the magic word... the average consumer is not a techie, hey just want something they can plug on their TV and it works without crashing like an XBOX 360 (many reports of crashes on cnet and other sites) they want an easy to use interface not the complicated maze like menues the 360 has, they dont want a new currency (points) they have to convert real money to every time they want to purchase something, they dont want a big box that reminds them of a 1990s VCR.... in other words they want an :apple: TV... and thats what they are getting. now no one is forcing you to buy it, i mean when the iPod came about there were other mp3 players, and some had more and better features, but what lauched the iPod to emerge a the winner is the fact that is easy to use, and simple people can use it.. i mean my grandmother has one for goodness sake... and that is what the :apple: TV has over the 360.

Peace
Feb 13, 2007, 02:01 PM
I own a xbobx 360 and do the same thing like you. I have been running media center since it first came out and i been waiting for a apple alternative. I seriously thought :apple: T.V will be that device until i saw what it will offer for 299.99.

I think for 299.99 apple should have included alot more features. I know how business is conducted-you never release everything at once you release updates to lure people into buying every egenration.

But apple tv is just not worth it right now.

hmmmmm this a discussion forum

first i am not complaining about it because i dont own it or plan on buying it.

I own a xbox and i think i said it a couple of post above.

Forums are meant to give criticism about teh topic in hand.. According to you nobody should give in their 2 cents in a discussion forum?

Why do you own 3 different gaming platforms because in other topics you say you own a Wii and a PS3? Must have been expensive.

However you are correct.This is a discussion forum.

Discuss away! :)

Maccus Aurelius
Feb 13, 2007, 02:02 PM
I guess you didn't pay attention to what I said. :rolleyes:

The XBox does have great specs, but I think you're comparing the specs to the wrong device. The ATV is not designed to handle high-powered graphics, so obviously it's not going to have a processor core to handle all of this. Comparing the two hardware wise is really ridiculous, since they are designed for very different things.

The slingbox works like a TiVo for your computer, it doesn't wirelessly stream media from your PC to your television set. It's a TV tuner that connects to your cable or satellite hookup. Unless you have either of those services the device is completely useless, so again requires a substantial investment. In this case the cable or satellite provider.

Anyone who invested in an XBox most likely invested lots more in the content designed specifically for it (games, what else?). The ATV requires no such investment to take advantage of its sole function, though Apple suggests that this is your best route. The way I see it, owning an ATV would actually be a lot cheaper in the long run than owning an XBox and even a slingbox, since I don't care about cable or satellite TV, and I don't want TV programming to record from.

hayesk
Feb 13, 2007, 02:41 PM

Yeah, they probably do the opposite of what people here want. If anyone thinks geeks like us who post to rumour forums is even slightly representative of Apple's overall market, they are kidding themselves.

;)

Maccus Aurelius
Feb 13, 2007, 02:44 PM
If enough people want Apple to build airplanes and for Jobs to adopt Howard Hughes' mannerisms, we may just see a new fruit-branded airline, and the weirdest most noteworthy WWDC's ever.

hayesk
Feb 13, 2007, 02:47 PM
But when Joe consumer compares a $299 Apple TV to a $299 Xbox 360, I think they will go for a 360.

Hmm...
- Joe Consumer sees XBox360 and thinks "I don't want a game machine."
- Joe Consumer sees AppleTV and thinks "Just what I want. Wait, will this work with my PC? Yes? Sold!"

The average consumer has no idea that an XBox360 can stream media from a computer.

The other question that remains is how easy it is to set up an XBox360 to stream media vs. an AppleTV. The interface to actually use it is also a factor.

Digitalclips
Feb 13, 2007, 02:57 PM

Amen to that :)

balamw
Feb 13, 2007, 03:02 PM
I personally have taken all of the DVD home movies I have done (using iMovie and iDVD) and put the Video on my Vista PC.
Is there any way to stream from a Mac and not require WMV content and still stream to the 360? Some of us would rather not have the Vista PC...

B

Maccus Aurelius
Feb 13, 2007, 03:21 PM
Hmm...
- Joe Consumer sees XBox360 and thinks "I don't want a game machine."
- Joe Consumer sees AppleTV and thinks "Just what I want. Wait, will this work with my PC? Yes? Sold!"

The average consumer has no idea that an XBox360 can stream media from a computer.

The other question that remains is how easy it is to set up an XBox360 to stream media vs. an AppleTV. The interface to actually use it is also a factor.

This is exactly what I mean. The XBox isn't a bad purchase so long as you know how to use it, but for all intents and purposes the ATV provides a more practical choice for those who simply want to stream media from their computers, not have extra hardware capability that goes unused.

uNext
Feb 13, 2007, 05:17 PM
Why do you own 3 different gaming platforms because in other topics you say you own a Wii and a PS3? Must have been expensive.

However you are correct.This is a discussion forum.

Discuss away! :)

Yeah it was expensive.

Well i first owned the xbox 360 since it was the first gen to come out
then i purchased the ps3 for the blu-ray drive
and third i bought the wii because it was priced right :).

Peace
Feb 13, 2007, 05:26 PM
Yeah it was expensive.

Well i first owned the xbox 360 since it was the first gen to come out
then i purchased the ps3 for the blu-ray drive
and third i bought the wii because it was priced right :).

GREAT!!

Instead of spending approx. $900 like you did I'm just gonna get the :apple: TV for $299 :-)

My iMac plays games great and Blue-Ray can come later :)

uNext
Feb 13, 2007, 05:37 PM
GREAT!!

Instead of spending approx. $900 like you did I'm just gonna get the :apple: TV for $299 :-)

My iMac plays games great and Blue-Ray can come later :)

299.99?

Your not counting the purchases you will make /made on the itunes store.
What about the computer you need? Either mac or windows im guessing you spent 800-900 bucks for it.

So no 299.99 is not the only thing you will spend on. Either way anyway you look at it YOU WILL SPEND MORE THEN 299.99

Peace
Feb 13, 2007, 05:39 PM
299.99?

What about the computer you need? Either mac or windows im guessing you spent 800-900 bucks for it.

So no 299.99 is not the only thing you will spend on. Either way anyway you look at it YOU WILL SPEND MORE THEN 299.99

Actually I get Developer discounts :p

curmi
Feb 13, 2007, 06:00 PM

The Xbox 360 does sound better than the Apple TV. However, does it work with a non-Microsoft machine?

I have an iMac in another room. It has lots of videos on it - some H.264, many DivX, MPEG-2 transport streams from EyeTV, ripped DVDs, say. I also have all my music in iTunes on the iMac.

If I have an airport Extreme (the new one with 802.11n), can I stream these items wirelessly to my TV with the XBox 360.

I realise that of those formats, only the H.264 can be streamed using Apple TV, but all the iTunes music can be streamed.

So if I get an XBox 360, can it connect to my iMac and bring me all the movies and music I want from that machine?

[I am being serious here. I want a solution to get my stuff to my TV, but I don't want a Windows PC in the equation]

Maccus Aurelius
Feb 13, 2007, 06:45 PM
299.99?

Uh, the price of the computer is not in this equation because a computer is a stand alone multipurpose piece of equipment that is not dependant on ATV. Who in their right mind would get a computer just go get a streaming media player? And as for iTunes, no, you don't need to purchase ANY iTunes content. I've said this already. You can purchase or rent DVD's and rip them yourself, and use CD's or mp3's that you can get from whatever source you please. Any way you slice it, the XBox actually demands a more substantial investment than the ATV does, regardless of the worth of its return.

curmi
Feb 13, 2007, 08:22 PM
The Xbox 360 does sound better than the Apple TV. However, does it work with a non-Microsoft machine?

I have an iMac in another room. It has lots of videos on it - some H.264, many DivX, MPEG-2 transport streams from EyeTV, ripped DVDs, say. I also have all my music in iTunes on the iMac.

If I have an airport Extreme (the new one with 802.11n), can I stream these items wirelessly to my TV with the XBox 360.

I realise that of those formats, only the H.264 can be streamed using Apple TV, but all the iTunes music can be streamed.

So if I get an XBox 360, can it connect to my iMac and bring me all the movies and music I want from that machine?

[I am being serious here. I want a solution to get my stuff to my TV, but I don't want a Windows PC in the equation]

With a bit of help from Google, I believe I've answered my own questions.

If you don't have a Windows machine, you need to purchase Connect360 (http://www.nullriver.com/index/products/connect360) to run on your Mac (US$20). This will let you stream your music and videos, and view your photos.

The limitations on your music is that music bought from the iTunes music store can't be played.

The limitation on your video is that it must be WMV+WMA format.

So the XBox 360 as an alternative to Apple TV is pretty poor if you are a Mac user. No Mac user is going to convert all their videos to WMV!

It would also appear that the XBox 360 does not include wireless 802.11. Not even g, let alone n. So there is an extra expense there if you want WiFi.

I'm not saying the Xbox 360 isn't good value. It probably is better value that Apple TV if you run Windows at home. But as a Mac user at home it is pretty poor.

Apple TV doesn't fit my needs either though because of it's poor codec selection. :(

Sped
Feb 13, 2007, 11:05 PM
It's interesting hearing the discussion for and against the ATV. I think the concept behind the ATV is spot on, but I also agree that 720p is pretty lame. I'd like to see 1080p video. If 802.11n can't support that in real-time, the ATV should just buffer the video and let you know when it's ready to play. I'd also like to see the ability to visit the iTMS and purchase product. Safari capabilities and at least some basic Mail integration would be nice. Last, I'd like to see that USB port specifically used for off-board storage. If Apple gave me all that for $299, I'd be sold. Otherwise, I'm tempted, but I'll hold off till the thing matures.

Maccus Aurelius
Feb 14, 2007, 12:40 AM
I'd rather not use a USB port for external storage. If Apple had designed this thing with the ability to support an external HD you'd think they would install their trademark Firewire 400/800 port for much faster data transfers. Large GB-sized files take forever over even the fastest USB, thus is not desireable to me. I don't really see the big deal at this point for a lack of 1080p support. I'm almost certain that the majority of iTunes derived content that will actually make it to the ATV on a regular basis will be television shows. Movies are usually a now and then type of thing. TV shows, being only 20-40 minutes long are watched much more often. How many people care to watch The Office or 24 in 1080p?

Stinkypalm
Feb 14, 2007, 06:00 PM
Xbox 360 make sure you crank your speakers cuz its friggin loud when running anything.

Padriac
Feb 16, 2007, 02:45 AM
[sigh]

1) The storage on the Apple TV is largely irrelevant. Add an external hard drive to your main computer. Apple TV is built for streaming, the hard drive is pretty much a cache/failsafe for slower wireless connections. What's the point of storing everything on the Apple TV redundantly (please tell me you are already backing up...)?

As for the Xbox 360:

2) Since when does the Xbox 360 come with wireless? Add $100 to your cost right there.

3) Raise your hand if you have wirelessly streamed anything at 720p or above to your Xbox 360 from your computer in realtime. Nobody is raising their hands. Draft N is an important piece of the wireless high-def puzzle and quite frankly the tech just isn't there yet for 1080. Apple TV will test these waters and really push it with 1080p by the time the next wireless standard rolls around. For realtime streaming, 720p is an accomplishment.

4) In mass market John Q Public land, DivX might as well be an alien planet. h264 aka iPod/PSP/PS3/AppleTV compatibility is much more important and forward thinking. How the hell does anybody get legal DivX content? In comparison, there are plenty of sites with iPod/PSP compatible videos around these days.

5) iTunes is free for both Mac and Windows. Media center is decidedly not free and is Windows only. Add that to your cost as well.

6) Xbox 360s break if you sneeze (as someone who has seen two separate units get replaced 3(!) times each can attest). Worst console build quality ever.

Not saying the Apple TV is perfect, but saying the Xbox 360 trumps it in every way is naive. Better in some ways yes, in many other ways no. And yes, most of you sound like the iPod naysayers from back in the day.*

NightStorm
Feb 16, 2007, 09:26 AM
Anyone else with a preorder in get an odd charge on their account in the past couple days? It is the only thing I have on order from the Apple Store, and I just noticed a ~$12 charge (from them, not the iTunes store) on my card. I have no idea what it could be for.

Peace
Feb 16, 2007, 11:34 AM
Anyone else with a preorder in get an odd charge on their account in the past couple days? It is the only thing I have on order from the Apple Store, and I just noticed a ~$12 charge (from them, not the iTunes store) on my card. I have no idea what it could be for.

Did you order any cables with the :apple: TV ?.If so,that was the charge.

NightStorm
Feb 16, 2007, 12:53 PM
Nope, ordered the 802.11n airport extreme, but they have already charged me for that.

Peace
Feb 16, 2007, 01:19 PM
Nope, ordered the 802.11n airport extreme, but they have already charged me for that.

Call them up and ask them what it's for.

NightStorm
Feb 16, 2007, 02:58 PM
After being transferred to another department, I was told that it was a pre-authorization for my AppleTV order. The person could not tell me why it is showing up on my actual paper statement, but told me that it should resolve itself once the unit itself ships, and if not to call back. She said that since it was on the same order at the Airport Extreme, it could simply be a shipping charge as well.

So who knows...

russellevance
Feb 19, 2007, 10:18 AM
I got an email from Apple on Friday saying my :apple: TV has shipped. I get it tomorrow apparently. I guess it isn't delayed until March. Anyone else?

EDIT: My apologies. It seems that I was mistaken...something else I ordered is being shipped...not sure how I misread that email.

NightStorm
Feb 19, 2007, 10:27 AM
I got an email from Apple on Friday saying my :apple: TV has shipped. I get it tomorrow apparently. I guess it isn't delayed until March. Anyone else?
You'd be the first I have seen anywhere...

russellevance
Feb 19, 2007, 10:52 AM
You'd be the first I have seen anywhere...

Oops. I misread the email I got from apple. Something else I ordered at the same time is being shipped, not the apple TV. Apologies if I got anyone excited.

Nenita
Feb 19, 2007, 11:02 AM
my local :apple: Store is schedule to set visual displays of the :apple: TV on the 22nd... they move it up from the 28th for some reason, also they espect to have some units for sale. we will see.