Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

caccamolle

macrumors 6502
Feb 18, 2005
I just have one word for you: YES :D

Apple rumors, moderate dose of caffeine (read: lots of it), and one glass of red wine a day will help you getting old healthy......

agreed, but I like good stuff. Ought to be selective on the quality of each. Bad wine can kill you and so can bad caffeine, rumors may be not, but still !

Digitalclips

macrumors 65816
Mar 16, 2006
Sarasota, Florida
Content off FiOS HD

Sorry if a tad off topic .. but ATV related ...

Any tech-heads here know how to extract the HD recording from the FiOS HD recorder? Once an HD program is recorded I can output via component to various devices including my Sony HD FX1 HD camera (and obviously standard definition DVDR) but only the NTSC standard resolution letter boxed version can be recorded on my HD equipment so far. I have yet to find a way of recording a true HD version. I would like to be able to extract some recording to convert to 720p for watching again on ATV when it arrives. The Motorola recorder Verizon ship has several digital connectors including FireWire but they don't seem to be able to output a signal I can use. I am guessing what I am trying to do is impossible but thought it was worth asking. TIA.

surferfromuk

macrumors 65816
Feb 1, 2007
'deemed to be a flop' - what kind of crazy talk is that..

how can a small relatively inexpensive piece of 'elegant' apple tech that brings your mac media to your TV without having to have it ;

a) near the TV or having wires trailing across the house to the TV

b) disrupted during USE ie you can still use your mac/PC whilst someone uses Apple TV

c) with a smooth, sexy and we can be sure stable user interface.

d) Hi-def media delivery without hiccups or headaches...

Anyone who's tried any of the so called 'media players' from d-link etc will tell you that 'pretty, fun and reliable' they are not!!...This thing is set to make the whole 'media on the TV' - effortless and FUN!!!.

This product is the dog's nads - let's see the light and not the trees here folks!!..

..and more than likely to be the 'mac desktop to TV' conduit in future s/w releases

Digitalclips

macrumors 65816
Mar 16, 2006
Sarasota, Florida

how can a small relatively inexpensive piece of 'elegant' apple tech that brings your mac media to your TV without having to have it ;

b) disrupted during USE ie you can still use your mac/PC whilst someone uses Apple TV

c) with a smooth, sexy and we can be sure stable user interface.

Anyone who's tried any of the so called 'media players' from d-link etc will tell you that 'pretty, fun and reliable' they are not!!...This thing is set to make the whole 'media on the TV' - effortless and FUN!!!.

This product is the dog's nads - let's see the light and not the trees here folks!!..

..and more than likely to be the 'mac desktop to TV' conduit in future s/w releases

Too true :D

Someone I know bought a 'state of the art' Gateway Windows Media Center a year or so back. They have never got it to work as advertised and actually have now forgotten they bought it for that purpose. Entire system now used for web and e-mail, when it works. It is also supposed to edit DV video too. Funny thing is they bring me their DV tapes to edit in FCPro...

mdelaney123

macrumors regular
Jul 22, 2004

You know, I know this has been pointed out already, but the Xbox 360 core system can EASILY stream HD video streams from a PC. It streams Photos, Music, and recorded TV... It can display in 1080i or 1080p...

It is $299 also. But, unlike the Apple TV, it can also play some of THE BEST video games on the market right now!

I just don't see the value in a $299 Apple TV.

(Just so I don't get totally flamed here... I own 2 Macs and 2 iPods and I am not a MS fanboy. I just use the best technology for what I need to do...)

roland.g

macrumors 604
Apr 11, 2005
You know, I know this has been pointed out already, but the Xbox 360 core system can EASILY stream HD video streams from a PC. It streams Photos, Music, and recorded TV... It can display in 1080i or 1080p...

It is $299 also. But, unlike the Apple TV, it can also play some of THE BEST video games on the market right now!

I just don't see the value in a $299 Apple TV.

(Just so I don't get totally flamed here... I own 2 Macs and 2 iPods and I am not a MS fanboy. I just use the best technology for what I need to do...)

I use the best technology for what I need to do, and none of it has ever come from Redmond.

brianus

macrumors 6502
Jun 17, 2005

Hold on, what? You're not making any sense. It connects wirelessly to computers, not to the television. That still needs wires.

Allmec

macrumors newbie
Feb 13, 2007
Wireless Type N??

Great to see the new product out so soon...
BUT...
When are Apple likely to be kicking out something that is capable of streaming the Video... seems all the current kit is G not N and all I read says need N to stream the video...

Am I missing something?
I really could do with new Powerbook Pro, but I ain't going there till they can stream the video.. any one got any inside scoops?

Nenita

macrumors newbie
Feb 13, 2007
the date set to have displays up in the stores is the 28th and inventory will be at hand (quantities depend on the store size and location) most stores have allready received their SONY Bravia TVs for the display in a small store like the one close to me they got 3 of them.
oh and Feb 28th is the last day of the month, that means that March 1st will be the start of the month, so all reports are correct, it all depends when the store gets the displays up on time or not. (Feb 28th)

:apple: :cool: :apple:

uNext

macrumors 6502
Aug 21, 2006
:apple: T.V 299.99

xbox 360 core package 299.99

???

hmm should i go after apples product because is white and gray?
or should i go with the other white product and not only have the ability to upgrade it to high definition dvds but can also stream 1080p high def???
and play "real games on it" ? geez thats a tough one.

Seriously where is the market for :apple: T.V outside apple fanatics?
the end user makes comparison in prices and how much bang they can get for every buck they spend. And the :apple: T.V is far from appealing price wise, they will see it as (no dvd? for 299.99? the only movies you can play are the ones you purchase from the itunes store? so spend 299.99 for something that will not play my dvd movies-and can only play ones i purchase from there? -tehy will see it as-i am not going to spend money on a movie i already own on dvd etc.

Seriously how do people see this as being succesful? I know we all love apple
but truth is this nothing revolutionary-they where skeptics when the ipod came out but the market was there
in plain view.

No matter what yeah the 360 is from redmond but at the end of the day,
the 360 is thousand foot steps beyond :apple: t.v. in what you will get for 299.99.

A pretty little box and interface does not justify paying for weak device
not capable of expanding.

Nenita

macrumors newbie
Feb 13, 2007

???

or should i go with the other white product and not only have the ability to upgrade it to high definition dvds but can also stream 1080p high def???

the end user makes comparison in prices and how much bang they can get for every buck they spend. And teh :apple: T.V is far from appealing price wise, they will see it as (no dvd? for 299.99? the only movies you can play are the ones you purchase from the itunes store? so spend 299.99 for something that will not play my dvd movies-and can only play ones i purchase from there?

Seriously how do people see this as being succesful?

the 360 is thousand foot steps beyond :apple: t.v. in what you will get for 299.99.

A pretty little box and interface does not justify paying for wek power device

well i hear what you have said and you do have some valid ponts; but the truth is that not all the features have been anaunced for the :apple: TV. it has a built in HD and USB port wich makes it very upgradable, also not everyone wants a box that plays hardcore games and takes more room than a 1990s VCR. as for playing only iTunes videos that is incorrect information you have. the main use for the :apple: TV is to be a suplement to your main computer a way that allows you to strem Video Pictures an other media to a TV for your viewing Pleasure. and what most of you seem to be forgeting its the Mac Mini.... the future media hub in the living room, the :apple: TV will be on secondary TVs in the house and the Mini will be in the living room with a wireless Kb and Mouse pluged to your Big screen TV and you 8211n network adapter....

why dont you let me give you a boost so you can peak outside the box, there is a whole world of posibilities out there.

mdelaney123

macrumors regular
Jul 22, 2004
:Seriously where is the market for :apple: T.V outside apple fanatics?
the end user makes comparison in prices and how much bang they can get for every buck they spend. And teh :apple: T.V is far from appealing price wise, they will see it as (no dvd? for 299.99? the only movies you can play are the ones you purchase from the itunes store? so spend 299.99 for something that will not play my dvd movies-and can only play ones i purchase from there?

A future version of the Apple TV may have some potential, but as it stands right now, I would advise anyone considering it, to spend the same $299 on the 360.

I mean look at the diffences:

$299 Apple TV:
- Stream (Sync) content from iTunes. (720p resolution)
- Includes TV shows & movies purchased from iTunes, Music, Picures.

$299 Xbox 360:
- Stream ANY content from a PC. (Up to 1080p resolution)
- Includes TV shows you have recorded via Media Center in SD or HD, Home Movies, Internet Videos, Music, Pictures, etc.
- Plays AMAZING Xbox 360 Games in Hi-Def. (Oblivion, Gears of War, BattleField, Rainbow 6 Vegas, etc...)
- Plays AMAZING Xbox Live Games in Hi-Def (Most cost only $5)
- Plays many of the original Xbox Games
- Allows you to voice chat with friends/family in and out of games
- Includes a controller

$399 Xbox 360 ADDS:
- Download TV shows and Movies to the Xbox 360 for the same price as iTunes. (Some offered in Hi-Def, all are at least DVD Quality.)

I personally have taken all of the DVD home movies I have done (using iMovie and iDVD) and put the Video on my Vista PC. The files are saved in WMV DVD quailty format and take ~890megs of space for an hour of video. The 360 accesses them and using a really slick interface, allows my family to pull them up and watch them on my 60" TV. We have our own video server and could not be happier.

:)

why dont you let me give you a boost so you can peak outside the box, there is a whole world of posibilities out there.

The things you point out MAY happen and they may not.

Right now, you can get ALL of the functionality of the Apple TV and MORE for the same price, with a proven product that has been on the market for over a year. And the best part is you get a FREE Next Gen Gaming Sytem that has 100's of highly rated games available for it.

(I was one of the people that was hoping the Apple TV would have TiVo functionality built in... Needless to say, I was VERY disappointed when they annouced what they did...)

caccamolle

macrumors 6502
Feb 18, 2005

???

the end user makes comparison in prices and how much bang they can get for every buck they spend. And the :apple: T.V is far from appealing price wise, they will see it as (no dvd? for 299.99? the only movies you can play are the ones you purchase from the itunes store? so spend 299.99 for something that will not play my dvd movies-and can only play ones i purchase from there? -tehy will see it as-i am not going to spend money on a movie i already own on dvd etc.

Seriously how do people see this as being succesful? I know we all love apple
but truth is this nothing revolutionary-they where skeptics when the ipod came out but the market was there
in plain view.

A pretty little box and interface does not justify paying for weak device

dude, what's wrong with you ? get your xbox or whatever it is and be happy. You've got my approval !!!!

NightStorm

macrumors 68000
Jan 26, 2006
Whitehouse, OH
Can the Xbox360 play all the songs and videos I've purchased from iTMS over the past couple years? No? Hmm, I guess the AppleTV is a better purchase for me.

uNext

macrumors 6502
Aug 21, 2006
A future version of the Apple TV may have some potential, but as it stands right now, I would advise anyone considering it, to spend the same $299 on the 360.

I mean look at the diffences:

$299 Apple TV:
- Stream (Sync) content from iTunes. (720p resolution)
- Includes TV shows & movies purchased from iTunes, Music, Picures.

$299 Xbox 360:
- Stream ANY content from a PC. (Up to 1080p resolution)
- Includes TV shows you have recorded via Media Center in SD or HD, Home Movies, Internet Videos, Music, Pictures, etc.
- Plays AMAZING Xbox 360 Games in Hi-Def. (Oblivion, Gears of War, BattleField, Rainbow 6 Vegas, etc...)
- Plays AMAZING Xbox Live Games in Hi-Def (Most cost only $5)
- Plays many of the original Xbox Games
- Allows you to voice chat with friends/family in and out of games
- Includes a controller

$399 Xbox 360 ADDS:
- Download TV shows and Movies to the Xbox 360 for the same price as iTunes. (Some offered in Hi-Def, all are at least DVD Quality.)

I personally have taken all of the DVD home movies I have done (using iMovie and iDVD) and put the Video on my Vista PC. The files are saved in WMV DVD quailty format and take ~890megs of space for an hour of video. The 360 accesses them and using a really slick interface, allows my family to pull them up and watch them on my 60" TV. We have our own video server and could not be happier.

:)

I own a xbobx 360 and do the same thing like you. I have been running media center since it first came out and i been waiting for a apple alternative. I seriously thought :apple: T.V will be that device until i saw what it will offer for 299.99.

I think for 299.99 apple should have included alot more features. I know how business is conducted-you never release everything at once you release updates to lure people into buying every egenration.

But apple tv is just not worth it right now.

mdelaney123

macrumors regular
Jul 22, 2004
Can the Xbox360 play all the songs and videos I've purchased from iTMS over the past couple years? No? Hmm, I guess the AppleTV is a better purchase for me.

I agree with you. In your situation, Apple TV would be useful...

I have always stayed away from the DRM restrictions of iTunes, so I am not locked into it... I have purchase some songs from iTunes, but immediatly turned them into normal MP3s...

It will be interesting to see what Apple does with this device over the years.

But when Joe consumer compares a $299 Apple TV to a $299 Xbox 360, I think they will go for a 360.

NightStorm

macrumors 68000
Jan 26, 2006
Whitehouse, OH
You realize that the only reason the Xbox is as cheap as it is is that they are taking losses on each console sold in hopes of making it back on game sales. The profit margins on games sold is a lot higher than that Apple sees on iTunes sales.

That's why the Xbox can sell for the same price as the AppleTV.

Maccus Aurelius

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2006
Brooklyn, NY
Umm. Ok, perhaps I'm not alone on this but, the functionality of an XBox makes it a far cry from the ATV category. A person looking to stream their iTunes content to their television will not likely care to purchase a device which has functions he or she is not likely to use. In this case it would be video games.

I understand that the XBox can do all of the things the ATV can do, but if all you wanted was to stream content you pretty much wasted your money. The primary functions require more investment than just purchasing the console. There is still the matter of either renting or purchasing the $60 video games that the console must use to be a console at all. A hard-core gamer will spend twice or even three times over the price of their console on game media alone. So in order to take advantage of the XBox's full functionality it takes more than just $300 to get going, it takes a great deal more than that. I understand that the ATV would imply a substantial investment in iTunes content, but anyone familiar with CD's and DVD ripping software knows this isn't necessarily the case. The ATV's SOLE functionality is not fully dependent on iTunes-derived media, but the XBox's primary function is since game media is proprietary to the hardware. It's the only real way Microsoft gets any returns on the device. A console in itself is a loss of money if you never buy the games.

I don't know how much cheaper the detractors think this device SHOULD be, but I know that Apple couldn't and wouldn't very well price this thing below the price of a 30GB iPod, which is cheaper by a mere $50.

This is just to put things into perspective when you're considering either of these pieces of hardware for the specific purpose that the ATV is designed for. The XBox is a very competant piece of machinery and I wouldn't try to convince anyone otherwise, but just so you know exploiting the entire range of functions requires much more than $300. The ATV only requires a link to your iTunes content, regardless of where you actually obtained the media.

uNext

macrumors 6502
Aug 21, 2006
You realize that the only reason the Xbox is as cheap as it is is that they are taking losses on each console sold in hopes of making it back on game sales. The profit margins on games sold is a lot higher than that Apple sees on iTunes sales.

That's why the Xbox can sell for the same price as the AppleTV.

Ohh my god people are still using the same "microsoft is loosing money" excuse?

Microsoft is now making a proft for every unit they sell. (its dcoumented and recorded)

They make $ 75 per every core package i dont know how much they make per premium but i am assuming is more then 75.

Some people just cant accept the fact that apple relases duds just like every other company. Microsoft is well planted on the 299.99 market and there is no way in hell that a tech person will choose apple tv over the 360.

Both in specs and features on paper and on real life-the 360 is far superior.

since all you will do with this device is stream ituines content why price it at 299.99?

This device is no more then 199.99

the amazing slinbox is only at 249.99? a revolutionary product and if yo uask me is way better then what apple tv stands for.

Peace

Cancelled
Apr 1, 2005
Space The Only Frontier

Microsoft is now making a proft for every unit they sell. (its dcoumented and recorded)

They make $ 75 per every core package i dont know how much they make per premium but i am assuming is more then 75.

Some people just cant accept the fact that apple relases duds just like every other company. Microsoft is well planted on the 299.99 market and there is no way in hell that a tech person will choose apple tv over the 360.

since all you will do with this device is stream ituines content why price it at 299.99?

the amazing slinbox is only at 249.99? a revolutionary product and if yo uask me is way better then what apple tv stands for.

Then go buy an XBox instead of complaining all the time.Unless you just like to argue.Let people make up their own minds eh ? :)

uNext

macrumors 6502
Aug 21, 2006
Then go buy an XBox instead of complaining all the time.Unless you just like to argue.Let people make up their own minds eh ? :)

hmmmmm this a discussion forum

first i am not complaining about it because i dont own it or plan on buying it.

I own a xbox and i think i said it a couple of post above.

Forums are meant to give criticism about teh topic in hand.. According to you nobody should give in their 2 cents in a discussion forum?

Nenita

macrumors newbie
Feb 13, 2007

Documented?... sources please!...

a tech person ... you said the magic word... the average consumer is not a techie, hey just want something they can plug on their TV and it works without crashing like an XBOX 360 (many reports of crashes on cnet and other sites) they want an easy to use interface not the complicated maze like menues the 360 has, they dont want a new currency (points) they have to convert real money to every time they want to purchase something, they dont want a big box that reminds them of a 1990s VCR.... in other words they want an :apple: TV... and thats what they are getting. now no one is forcing you to buy it, i mean when the iPod came about there were other mp3 players, and some had more and better features, but what lauched the iPod to emerge a the winner is the fact that is easy to use, and simple people can use it.. i mean my grandmother has one for goodness sake... and that is what the :apple: TV has over the 360.

Peace

Cancelled
Apr 1, 2005
Space The Only Frontier
I own a xbobx 360 and do the same thing like you. I have been running media center since it first came out and i been waiting for a apple alternative. I seriously thought :apple: T.V will be that device until i saw what it will offer for 299.99.

I think for 299.99 apple should have included alot more features. I know how business is conducted-you never release everything at once you release updates to lure people into buying every egenration.

But apple tv is just not worth it right now.

hmmmmm this a discussion forum

first i am not complaining about it because i dont own it or plan on buying it.

I own a xbox and i think i said it a couple of post above.

Forums are meant to give criticism about teh topic in hand.. According to you nobody should give in their 2 cents in a discussion forum?

Why do you own 3 different gaming platforms because in other topics you say you own a Wii and a PS3? Must have been expensive.

However you are correct.This is a discussion forum.

Discuss away! :)

Maccus Aurelius

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2006
Brooklyn, NY
I guess you didn't pay attention to what I said. :rolleyes:

The XBox does have great specs, but I think you're comparing the specs to the wrong device. The ATV is not designed to handle high-powered graphics, so obviously it's not going to have a processor core to handle all of this. Comparing the two hardware wise is really ridiculous, since they are designed for very different things.

The slingbox works like a TiVo for your computer, it doesn't wirelessly stream media from your PC to your television set. It's a TV tuner that connects to your cable or satellite hookup. Unless you have either of those services the device is completely useless, so again requires a substantial investment. In this case the cable or satellite provider.

Anyone who invested in an XBox most likely invested lots more in the content designed specifically for it (games, what else?). The ATV requires no such investment to take advantage of its sole function, though Apple suggests that this is your best route. The way I see it, owning an ATV would actually be a lot cheaper in the long run than owning an XBox and even a slingbox, since I don't care about cable or satellite TV, and I don't want TV programming to record from.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.