PDA

View Full Version : iPod Nano, Mac Mini Announcements This Month?

MacRumors
Mar 7, 2007, 08:16 AM
http://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com)

Macworld.co.uk reports that supplies of several Apple products (http://www.macworld.co.uk/business/news/index.cfm?newsid=17420) appear to be at extremely low levels, but will ship in quantity within a matter of weeks. While the pattern may simply reflect a stronger than normal demand, it is also a strong indication that product launches are on the way.

Models facing shortages are reported to be all versions of the Mac mini and the iPod Nano as well as the HiFi. The site notes that their sources indicate that the Nano will be shipping again as early as next week, indicating that if an update should occur, it may occur as early as next week.

Other models mentioned facing a shortage include the entry-level combo drive iMac, the mid-range MacBook Pro, and the entry-level and black MacBooks.

MacinDoc
Mar 7, 2007, 08:21 AM
Let's hope for some new Macs, it's been a while!

macintel4me
Mar 7, 2007, 08:21 AM
I'd love to see a iPod Nano update!!

What about a Mac Pro update...pleeeeeeeeeeeease!!!!!!

bommai
Mar 7, 2007, 08:23 AM
I would like a Mac Mini with Core 2 Duo, better graphics card, 802.11n and possibly an HDMI port. I would like to use it as a home theatre mac. A 3.5" HD would be a blast and user serviceable. Just make it easier to open!!

Optional "AppleTV profile" mode where it acts pretty much like apple tv and doesn't need a keyboard/mouse. However have a normal mode too where we can do other things.

aricher
Mar 7, 2007, 08:24 AM
I'd love to see a Mac Mini update. I'd love to use one as a compact media server.

Mr.damien
Mar 7, 2007, 08:24 AM
I don't care about this b*******. I want the new mac pro NOW !!!:mad:

paulyras
Mar 7, 2007, 08:25 AM
I find it highly unlikely that with the upcoming release of :apple: TV that there is a massive demand for minis. I, for one, only use my mini as a media server at the moment, and I know quite a few other people do as well.

Also, remember, the mini is still the only one shipping with the Core (rather than Core2)chips, as well as 802.11g.

nicksoper
Mar 7, 2007, 08:26 AM
I think a mac mini with a really fast hard drive would be pretty sweet. I've got a Cinema display for my macbook pro, but I'd like to have a dedicated desktop and the mac mini would be ideal. But one with a laptop hard drive would be pretty pointless! Also some more RAM capcity would be nice.

I wonder if you could balance the cinema on top of the mac mini? :confused: :D

koobcamuk
Mar 7, 2007, 08:27 AM
I find it highly unlikely that with the upcoming release of :apple: TV that there is a massive demand for minis. I, for one, only use my mini as a media server at the moment, and I know quite a few other people do as well.

Also, remember, the mini is still the only one shipping with the Core (rather than Core2)chips, as well as 802.11g.

I am with you on that one. I might be buying one for that very purpose in the future.

I am hoping for a MBP 12 " or similar :-D

c-Row
Mar 7, 2007, 08:28 AM
There is always a Tuesday somewhere. :apple: :p

serpico
Mar 7, 2007, 08:28 AM
I would like a Mac Mini with Core 2 Duo, better graphics card, 802.11n and possibly an HDMI port. I would like to use it as a home theatre mac. A 3.5" HD would be a blast and user serviceable. Just make it easier to open!!

Optional "AppleTV profile" mode where it acts pretty much like apple tv and doesn't need a keyboard/mouse. However have a normal mode too where we can do other things.

That sounds good, but now that Apple TV is out, I don't think Apple would like us to use Mac Mini's for this use. I can see them continuing the Mac Mini as is and just upgrade the existing hardware specs. It seems to be doing fine.

I sold my first generation Mac Mini last month and do miss it. This might be a good time to replace it if it's true. Been using a pc notebook for business & personal use now. :(

I wonder if Apple will just wait to upgrade any computers until Leopard comes out? Or give people who buy new computers a free coupon to upgrade?

I really need a new iPod and hope a new style with 100GB comes out soon.

PharmD
Mar 7, 2007, 08:30 AM
It's not September yet so I don't think they'll be updating anything Nano.

cebritt
Mar 7, 2007, 08:34 AM
I've been waiting for Apple to add the Duo 2 to the Mac mini to replace my aged Blueberry iMac at home. With 19" and 22" flat panels so cheap, it seems like a better deal than the iMacs.

Carleton in Austin, TX

paulyras
Mar 7, 2007, 08:34 AM
That sounds good, but now that Apple TV is out, I don't think Apple would like us to use Mac Mini's for this use.

Generally, I agree, but I have a hard time thinking that apple would shed too many tears if someone wanted to drop $600-$800 when they have a $299 option.

roland.g
Mar 7, 2007, 08:41 AM

You can't put a 3.5" drive in the Mini. Not without changing the form factor, which is highly unlikely. Nor is it any more likely to see it become a user serviceable unit. There's more chance of a mid-range tower before any such changes to the Mini. Core 2 Duo, Santa Rosa & the X3000 GPU, and 802.11n are all almost for certain upgrades within the next cycle or so, and the HDMI port is anyone's guess.

BenRoethig
Mar 7, 2007, 08:42 AM

If it shows up soon, what we're looking at is a release that shown have shown up over six months ago. Updating it now means they intend to keep the Mini one generation behind on specs. Core 2 Duo is possible as well as wireless-n, but unless they move it from the mobile platform, updated graphics are not going to happen since GM965 is about two months away.

sandau
Mar 7, 2007, 08:43 AM
hmmm, maybe the hifi might be an add on to the apple tv as a home theater in a box like the yamaha YSP and bose models (virtual sound). i'd like that.

roland.g
Mar 7, 2007, 08:46 AM
I think a mac mini with a really fast hard drive would be pretty sweet. I've got a Cinema display for my macbook pro, but I'd like to have a dedicated desktop and the mac mini would be ideal. But one with a laptop hard drive would be pretty pointless! Also some more RAM capcity would be nice.

I wonder if you could balance the cinema on top of the mac mini? :confused: :D

There is a 3rd party stand for putting the Mini under a display. I don't know why Apple doesn't offer 7200RPM drives for the Mini like the do the notebooks as a BTO, other than it is an entry level machine, but you are quite welcome to open one up and throw a faster drive in it. Just realize there isn't any room in there for a full size HD. 2GB RAM is plenty for a Mini, though bumping the base to 1GB is overdue like C2D. Just remember it is an entry level machine and people looking for a cheap 1st Mac or media center don't need so much RAM that it runs $1000+ for one.

shen
Mar 7, 2007, 08:48 AM
like several otherpeople here, i am looking at the mini with an eye toward home theater. the fact that i can get an entire computer (for when the laptop and desktop are in use by the kids wife) and also have front row, all my itunes (at the stereo) and a happy little game corner is just great. the tax return is going to get a mini, TV, and wireless mouse and keys.

so come on Apple, drop the update before the cash burns a hole in my pocket!

:apple:

coffeecty
Mar 7, 2007, 08:57 AM
please, please, please... Just release an orange Nano and a tranlucent orange iMac!!!! Please? I want my translucent plastic back!!!! :D

bayportbob
Mar 7, 2007, 09:03 AM
I wonder if Apple will just wait to upgrade any computers until Leopard comes out? Or give people who buy new computers a free coupon to upgrade?

That was funny, a free upgrade? Only if Leopard happens to be released within 30 days of you buying a new computer. That is the way it always worked in the past.

ready2switch
Mar 7, 2007, 09:04 AM
The mini is terribly out of date, which makes me lean toward it being possibly discontinued (or redesigned to the point of becoming a completely different product). With Santa Rosa due out soon (read next several months), Apple has the opportunity to completely redesign their line. Think about it: the iMac uses laptop components; the mini uses laptop components; two very successful lines of laptops are just waiting for Santa Rosa to be updated. Basically the only system independent of Santa Rosa is the Mac Pro, which is likely only waiting on Leopard to be updated.

Now, I'm not saying or hinting that Apple is planning a "mid-range tower" or anything of that sort. I just think, with all this waiting and with no word of Macs at all at MWSF, that Apple has something (read major redesigns) in the wings to completely revamp their offerings computer-wise.

Of course, I could just be dreaming. Either way, I don't see updates until after Leopard is announced (though I would be happy to be proved wrong). :D

Oh, and the nano thing is just high demand. I don't see updates until Fall (but again, happy to be proved wrong). :p

iJawn108
Mar 7, 2007, 09:07 AM
I'd really like to see an updated mini, I'd consider getting one. But not till it has leopard, the new graphics chip,higher bus speed, ect.

Jim Campbell
Mar 7, 2007, 09:07 AM
like several otherpeople here, i am looking at the mini with an eye toward home theater. the fact that i can get an entire computer (for when the laptop and desktop are in use by the kids wife) and also have front row, all my itunes (at the stereo) and a happy little game corner is just great. the tax return is going to get a mini, TV, and wireless mouse and keys.:

I'm unsure why so many people are saying that they will use a Mac Mini for this purpose when it receives some future upgrade.

We're using on for this right now ... cable TV signal into the Mini via a Miglia TVMax (chosen because it offers some built-in hardware encoding to take the strain off the Mini's rather weedy graphics capabilities) and straight out of the Mini into an LG 26" LCD TV via unadapted DVI. Harmon Kardon speakers out of the Mini to provide the sound. Add a wireless keyboard and mouse, and a broadband connection and we're very happy with the set-up.

OK ... so I'm not going to be doing any hardcore gaming on it, but this very compact little set-up has replaced our stereo, DVD player and VCR, and added full internet access via the TV in the living room.

I'd unreservedly recommend it to just about anyone!

Cheers

Jim

longofest
Mar 7, 2007, 09:08 AM
The mini is terribly out of date, which makes me lean toward it being possibly discontinued (or redesigned to the point of becoming a completely different product). With Santa Rosa due out soon (read next several months), Apple has the opportunity to completely redesign their line. Think about it: the iMac uses laptop components; the mini uses laptop components; two very successful lines of laptops are just waiting for Santa Rosa to be updated. Basically the only system independent of Santa Rosa is the Mac Pro, which is likely only waiting on Leopard to be updated.

The mini is a budget computer, and it was left behind on purpose in my opinion. The update will most likely bring it in line with Apple's current offerings, just in time for Apple to update the rest of the line (iMac, MacBook, and MacBook Pro) to Santa Rosa in the next couple of months.

kwood
Mar 7, 2007, 09:09 AM
I would buy a Black MacBook in a heart beat if they added a backlit keyboard. Then I could justify spending the extra money just to get a black one....here's to hoping.

Torajima
Mar 7, 2007, 09:09 AM

And you think the Apple TV will replace the mini as a home theater PC? Because for most home theater buffs, it won't.

The Apple TV will only play quicktime compatible media. It won't play the most popular formats, including divx. You can't use the Apple TV as a DVR. You can't burn DVDs with it. You can't play games on it (save the ones Apple decides to sell on the iTunes store).

If you can live with these limitations, great... but I personally would prefer a full fledged computer sitting next to my TV.

localoid
Mar 7, 2007, 09:11 AM
If it shows up soon, what we're looking at is a release that shown have shown up over six months ago. Updating it now means they intend to keep the Mini one generation behind on specs. Core 2 Duo is possible as well as wireless-n, but unless they move it from the mobile platform, updated graphics are not going to happen since GM965 is about two months away.

True... Apple could simply 'freshen' the mini in March with Core2 Duo cpu's now, and still have a few months to come back in the fall with another mini upgrade to Santa Rosa specs, just in time for back-to-school and Christmas. Many seem to think Intel won't announce Santa Rosa until May, but I think it's more likely Intel will announce the line April 17-18, at the Intel Developers Forum in Beijing.

longofest
Mar 7, 2007, 09:15 AM
Added a poll to the thread. Sorry in advance for not making the poll multiple choice. I meant to, but I forgot, and vBulletin doesn't let you go back and make it multiple-choice after the fact. So, just choose the "most correct" answer ;)

phytonix
Mar 7, 2007, 09:21 AM
although I recently got an iPod Hifi for $220, i still think Hifi is going to be updated, after over a year of release.

darwen
http://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com)
Other models mentioned facing a shortage include the entry-level combo drive iMac, the mid-range MacBook Pro, and the entry-level and black MacBooks.

.........so... what your saying here is that pretty much everythingis low? Great! New Everything Next Tuesday!

iKwick7
The mini definitely could use an update ( quite miss mine too, not that I am upset with this 24" iMac or anything) but I highly doubt there will be a nano update anytime soon.

nickane
Mar 7, 2007, 09:23 AM
Yes, I too would like to throw my hat in the ring and say i want a mac mini purely for media. It seems worth the extra over the apple tv. Does anyone know if the gma 3000 (the new integrated graphics card headed for the mac mini according to the macguides) would be any good at upscaling 480p/576p footage to a 720p projector on the fly? I have a feeling I'll have to wait for that elusive mid-range tower mac, but was just wondering what someone with a better handle on the limitations of these shared-VRAM video cards thinks about my chances.

Personally, I think I'd probably have more joy customising a cube, but then I don't think G4's were ever too useful with HD-video.

My own needs aside, a decent-specced mac mini would trounce the apple tv as it has a dvd player (albeit region-locked), a bigger internal hd and can become a pvr with the addition of a usb dongle. I don't think its fair that we waited all this time for the "airport express with video" to get a box that apple touts as a revolutionary device set to be the dvd player of the 21st century, that costs half the price of a mac mini and doesn't have the router built-in. Its really just a 40gb ipod video with front row, that can't leave your telly's side. Plus the new router doesn't have a modem built-in (what's the point in the elegant box if you've got to have some ugly thing your isp's lending you slapped next to it). By the time you've bought both, you may as well have just got a mac mini and put it next to the telly with a few hundred gigs of NAS hooked up at Gig-E (which the new aiport extreme is also lacking, I believe). Apple TVs are only useful for households with several computers containing diverse (viz: flatmates/family members) media collections.

giganten
Mar 7, 2007, 09:26 AM
Please update the mini or iMac.

ready2switch
Mar 7, 2007, 09:29 AM
The mini is a budget computer, and it was left behind on purpose in my opinion. The update will most likely bring it in line with Apple's current offerings, just in time for Apple to update the rest of the line (iMac, MacBook, and MacBook Pro) to Santa Rosa in the next couple of months.

The mini may be the least expensive computer Apple offers, but I wouldn't categorize it as a budget computer (it's outdated, not budget). And even if it somehow is Apple's version of a "budget" computer, I just think it would be a poor decision to constantly leave it 1 step behind. Can people really be satisfied to see the mini "catch up" only to be left behind a month later? How can you get excited about that campaign? To me, it just seems very un-Apple. :D

odedia
Mar 7, 2007, 09:29 AM
Me want 12" MBP.

It would be exactly half the size of my 24" iMac :D

Hattig
Mar 7, 2007, 09:30 AM
I'm hoping for an update to the Mac Mini soon, as I want to get one to couple with one of the cheap large widescreen panels you can get these days (and attach it to a large TV one day in the future too).

I'm hoping that it'll have better graphics too, although there isn't much space to put a discrete chip (e.g., a GeForce 7400 like the Apple TV). Core 2 Duo goes without saying, as well a 1GB RAM minimum.

Otherwise a 20" iMac appeals - it's got decent graphics at least. However I'd also want to wait for an update here!

FoxyKaye
Mar 7, 2007, 09:32 AM
I'm optimistic about Mini updates - especially since we're getting ready to purchase at work. And, even though I just bought a refurb 60Gig iPod with video, I could be sorely tempted by higher capacity Nanos for music-only listening while I run about town.

That said, my money's on the introduction of new Apple-branded pleather iPod cases to match the existing leather cases.

roland.g
Mar 7, 2007, 09:33 AM
Me want 12" MBP.

It would be exactly half the size of my 24" iMac :D

Wouldn't it be about 1/4?

Roy Hobbs
Mar 7, 2007, 09:36 AM

Wow you arent so good with Math

Chimaera
Mar 7, 2007, 09:36 AM
While I doubt that anything is likely to happen with the black macbook - since I'm getting one in about 4 weeks I won't complain if something does happen to them :) Personally I'd love it if any of the following appeared:

1) Discrete graphics card
2) 2gig RAM as standard
3) backlit keyboard

Although as I say, I consider the odds on this to be basically nil

LFrascogna
Mar 7, 2007, 09:42 AM
I want one thing from Apple.

Widescreen, touchscreen iPod video.

If Zunes worked with macs, I would consider switching because it has been WAY TOO LONG since there was a meaningful iPod update.

p0intblank
Mar 7, 2007, 09:44 AM
The Mac mini really needs an update, so I think that's what it is. It's had a Core Duo in it for the longest time now.

calculus
Mar 7, 2007, 09:44 AM
Wow you arent so good with Maths

Oh yes he is...draw it out on a bit of paper and you'll see.

PinkyMacGodess
Mar 7, 2007, 09:46 AM
According to a distributer that we use: Supplies remain high for the Mac Mini's and they are active and the Nano's are still active. Supplies of the C2Duo Macbooks and Pro's are good as well as the Mac Pro...

The 'Hi-Fi' is 'Special Order' only with 1 in stock. The Ipod Camera Connector is disco'ed (didn't here that anywhere yet). Looks like there might be a 'new' U2 ipod. They are stuffed to the gills with 4Gig black Nano's, the discontinued kind... They have a good number of the older 60G Ipod's too...

It seems that the 'Special Order' label is on some products that are on their way out. Don't know if that means the Hi-Fi is a dead product sitting or not...

PinkyMacGodess
Mar 7, 2007, 09:46 AM
The reason that I mention this is that a day before the C2Duo MacBook came out, I checked stock and found all of the regular ones at starvation levels... Less than 4 or so and most 'sold out'...

From what I see, if Apple is planning to change the Mini, they are going to stick that distributer with more black nano's that can't be sold because everyone wants the new stuff...

Zwhaler
Mar 7, 2007, 09:50 AM

Yeah, I don't think it has to be in September, but the Nanos are still moderately new. I just want new Minis.

AidenShaw
Please update the mini or iMac.

Updated iMac photos found on Apple's website:

http://tinyurl.com/34mu9k

HelixOmnimedia

If Zunes worked with macs, I would consider switching because it has been WAY TOO LONG since there was a meaningful iPod update.

I agree.
I've been waiting since September. I too considered switching.

zblaxberg
Mar 7, 2007, 09:53 AM

Yea I think they are going to update the ipod line more later in the summer/early fall but they will work on the computers (mac mini, imac, mac pro, macbook/pro) from now until july/august

Way too much time on your hands buddy.

roland.g
Mar 7, 2007, 10:02 AM
Wow you arent so good with Math

um, no, you figure it out.

ddubbo
Mar 7, 2007, 10:04 AM
The only the reason I'm still with a PC, that I need a good, cheap modular machine.
I'm waiting for Mac mini which will be comparable to any good low-end computer:
At least 80 GB 7200 RPM drive, 1GB RAM, 128 MB video card. With leopard included it'll be a good deal for 600$.

djpl
Mar 7, 2007, 10:12 AM
Would be cool if they dumped the 2GB Nano entirely and just made the 4GB version $149 and the 8GB $199.

iJawn108
Mar 7, 2007, 10:12 AM
orange nanos maybe

a456
Mar 7, 2007, 10:13 AM

Is the Mac Mini working as a switching machine for those with screens, keyboards and mice that came with their PCs, or are people simply going for the iMac? It is a great idea, but gone for example are the iSight cameras for Mac Mini users, and the longer it stays as a Core Duo product the more basic it looks and the less it is in line with all the animation built into Leopard.

Too powerful and it steals from the MacPro market, too weak and it loses out to the iMac, too much of a Media Hub and it becomes the Apple TV with DVD player (which makes the Apple TV less appealing). It just doesn't seem to fit in the product line up anymore. I don't know what sales are like but it might be time to knock this product on the head and leave it as a well-loved Mac of days gone by.

Mgkwho
Mar 7, 2007, 10:17 AM
About time for hardware! Apple hasn't updated their computer line in over 4 months!

-=|Mgkwho

deputy_doofy
Mar 7, 2007, 10:18 AM
I finally tried the Core Solo version out a few weeks ago. Man, that sucker feels slow compared to all my machines, including my PB 12".
It wouldn't hurt to give the mini a good bump.

mdgolom
Mar 7, 2007, 10:31 AM
Of course they're going to update the mini in the next couple of weeks. I Just ordered one on Monday. They released the Intel Mini 6 days after I bought my G4 Mini.:mad:

Telp
Mar 7, 2007, 10:32 AM
i wanna see an imac update, but i also want to see an software update ;) ;)

psxndc
Mar 7, 2007, 10:43 AM
Of course they're going to update the mini in the next couple of weeks. I Just ordered one on Monday. They released the Intel Mini 6 days after I bought my G4 Mini.:mad:

Direct thine eyes to http://buyersguide.macrumors.com and experience buyers remorse no more.

Jowl
Mar 7, 2007, 10:48 AM
I'm ready to buy a Mini for my media centre.

But it seems silly to buy now (core Duo) when Leapord and a possibly update are 'due'

I think we might see Core 2 Duo and 'n' spec wireless. I don't think anything else will be touched

jragosta
Mar 7, 2007, 10:57 AM
That sounds good, but now that Apple TV is out, I don't think Apple would like us to use Mac Mini's for this use. I can see them continuing the Mac Mini as is and just upgrade the existing hardware specs. It seems to be doing fine.

Why the h*** not? The mini starts at $599, the AppleTV at $299. Why would Apple care if you buy the Mini instead of the AppleTV?

macphisto
Mar 7, 2007, 11:01 AM
....I want the new mac pro NOW !!!:mad:

I second that. Bring it. Please.

mandoman
Mar 7, 2007, 11:02 AM
I think a C2D mini is inevitable in the next couple of weeks.
They won't wait until Santa Rosa or Leopard and they won't change the form
factor. They'll keep the the mini c2d well after their other offerings
go Santa Rosa to clear their stock of the older processors and chipsets.

I see a very modest bump with the mini. What would be more welcome
than anything is a price drop to get the entry level mini back to $499.

samh004
Mar 7, 2007, 11:05 AM
Seeing as my PowerBook packed it in a few days ago (three beeps at startup - something about RAM banks not passing testing), I am looking to a Mac Mini to hold me over until the end of the year when I can get a penryn-based MBP.

The Mac Mini, while perfectly capable at the moment, just doesn't seem worth it and it has been 6 months since it was last updated. Although I don't use 802.11n, it would be useful to have for the future and a C2D would be a little bit better I suppose.

The only thing is, an update needs to happen very soon as I am without a mac right now and I can't post my blog, or add content to my homepage or anything, it's very annoying. However I am adjusting to my mums Toshiba.

I really hope there is an update soon, very soon.

akadmon
Mar 7, 2007, 11:08 AM

You mean Zune doesn't work with Macs? What about Boot Camp, Parallels?

I too want a new iPod. The hdd crapped out on my 3rd Gen a month and I've been hobbling along with a Shuffle. So here is hoping for a flash based, touch screen iPod with at least 20 GB capacity SOON!

yagran
Mar 7, 2007, 11:10 AM
i bought my mac mini about 4 weeks ago now, and i love it. i don't care if its updated to better specs, as personally i only bought it to play music on and stuff, and i have a wired network so wireless N inst an issue. i hate it when people say "i bought X only to have it updated two weeks later, I'm so annoyed i didn't wait!" because if you were that disappointed with spec why did you buy it in the first place. also i firmly believe there will be no change in the look of the mac mini, simply because the apple TV looks the same as it so they aren't g going to out-date the styling before apple TV is even shipped!

I'm guessing on an orange ipod nano and maybe longer battery life, its too soon for nano's to be releasing anything major.

It really is time for an iPod update though, i too have had a shuffle for quie a while now since my ipod + nano got obliterated by a screwdriver.

donlphi
Mar 7, 2007, 11:14 AM
Perhaps it's going to be an even SLIMMER mac mini. That would be sweet. I would pack it in my bag and bring it to work everyday. It would be nice just to get a processor upgrade. I've been holding off so I can install one in my car.

Mix that with EV-DO and I'm vido chatting with grandma at speeds of 60+mph.

:cool:

Peace
Mar 7, 2007, 11:21 AM
Personally I don't think we're going to see the 17" iMac anymore or it will be transformed into the first wall-mount multi-touch device.

The Mini's really need speed bumps for sure.

roland.g
Mar 7, 2007, 11:30 AM
Perhaps it's going to be an even SLIMMER mac mini. That would be sweet. I would pack it in my bag and bring it to work everyday. It would be nice just to get a processor upgrade. I've been holding off so I can install one in my car.

Mix that with EV-DO and I'm vido chatting with grandma at speeds of 60+mph.

:cool:

Slimmer. No. Have you seen the inside. I don't think so.

Personally I don't think we're going to see the 17" iMac anymore or it will be transformed into the first wall-mount multi-touch device.

hmm....

sionharris
Mar 7, 2007, 11:32 AM
these updates are EXTREMELY difficult to predict.

almost every suggestion thus far is feasible.

i don't have the slightest idea what apple are about to do... and i love it.

yagran
Mar 7, 2007, 11:33 AM
honestly, a 2Ghz dual core processor is not slow! it runs the programs much faster then the big dual core 64 bit £350 thing in my pc.

yagran
Mar 7, 2007, 11:35 AM
i just want to marry apple lol!!! Im going to uni in a year and bits time to do computing. just so i can work for apple! :) its odd, im not obbsessive about anything but apple...and guitars...and warez...and my girlfriend...lol

legacyb4
Mar 7, 2007, 11:36 AM
I was just about to lament the fact that a Macbook update might be on the way after "just buying mine" but then I realized I've already been using my black Macbook for almost 2 months... it's amazing how quickly time flies by!

A C2D mini would be nice to see as it could nicely replace my aging G5/1.6 which, since the purchase of the Macbook, has turned into pretty much a fileserver at this point. The drive capacity issues aside, it'd be nice to power it down and cut back on noise and power consumption.

stagi
Mar 7, 2007, 11:38 AM
I would like to see a new macmini starting at the old $499 pricing, or even a little cheaper (I know it won't happen) That way I could have a machine for storing all of my music and video's and could share the iTunes list with my other computers. That way I could free up space on my macpro's main hard drive and have a dedicated machine just for media :)

mrthieme
Mar 7, 2007, 11:38 AM
As far as the HiFi goes, I would like to see them turn it into a pair of powered stereo monitors with wireless connection to the Apple TV.

roland.g
Mar 7, 2007, 11:40 AM
I bought a CD Mini (early 2006) 1.66 refurb in late Oct as a holdover replacement for my G4 450 Sawtooth, knowing I had a buyer this spring. I expected that it would be March-April before Leopard and intended to buy with that pre-installed. But I never would have thought that 60+ days into 2007 we'd still have no computer revisions or any better idea/announcement of a Leopard date.

MagicWok
Mar 7, 2007, 11:44 AM
I really hope that the Mini's will be updated. They are long overdue, and besides, I have my eye on them.

A C2D in there would do very nicely. I would also expect 11n to added (or bto) to bring it in line with the Airport Extreme. Also a little more omph to the graphics would be nice. ;)

I really can't see the Nano's changing very much - despite the low stock I see it personally as high demand rather than a signal for a product update. Perhaps an additional colour, such as orange to compliment the shuffles, though I could be wrong - I think we are all clamouring after some good Mac action. :p

Updating the Mac Mini's now would be a nice way to begin to update the rest of the Mac product line throughout the year. Since the Mini's serve as the budget choice, rasing the spec allows for the gap between products not to be stretched and price point roughly maintained by Apple.

syklee26
Mar 7, 2007, 11:46 AM
forget about Santa Rosa on Mac Mini. that is just NOT happening anytime soon.

Mini will probably see an update to C2D 1.83ghz (or 1.67ghz), but I don't see anything better than that.

it obviously won't have new graphics card. It will continue with integrated video processor.

Hard drive will stay same.

overall, I don't see much change in Mini other than processor and possibly a RAM increase.

Apple is not a charity org. They are profit driven company. don't expect spank new technology in a $500 computer. that's like asking Ferrari to make a 1000 horse-powered sportscar for $15000.

iMikeT
Mar 7, 2007, 11:46 AM
Nothing but rumors and speculation.:rolleyes:

I'm not even going to let myself get excited incase nothing happens...

GanleyBurger
Mar 7, 2007, 11:47 AM
Why can't the Mac Mini be as powerful as the Imac... I just don't get it. The mini is such a great ieda.

MacSA
Mar 7, 2007, 11:47 AM
Is the Mac Mini working as a switching machine for those with screens, keyboards and mice that came with their PCs, or are people simply going for the iMac? It is a great idea, but gone for example are the iSight cameras for Mac Mini users, and the longer it stays as a Core Duo product the more basic it looks and the less it is in line with all the animation built into Leopard.

Not in its current configuration, no.

For example, Dell in the UK are selling a Core 2 Duo PC with DVD rewriter, 19" flat screen monitor, 160GB hard drive, keyboard/mouse etc and 1GB of RAM for £439. :eek: Only £39 more than the cheapest Mac Mini.

BobbyDigital
Mar 7, 2007, 11:48 AM
I do think the mac mini could use an update, but I really don't think they'd do it before Leopard is released.

The iPod HiFi, on the other hand, could be updated before Leopard. It really needs some more features. There is nothing about it that would make me buy it over a bose sound dock or anything else... They should add network support for it.

mpspence
Mar 7, 2007, 11:55 AM
why would apple ship a **** ton of macs with tiger on it when they know that most mac owners are holding out for leopard to be preinstalled, this is a simple representation of supply and demand. Sure they may update a few of the tech specs on the hardware in coorelation with the release of leopard (steve won't give a speech when he only has one product to release) but all of this is just a representation of the fact that leopard is coming out soon

yagran
Mar 7, 2007, 11:56 AM
ipod hi-fi = bad idea. i expect to see it overhauled entirely or discontinued for a different idea

A is jump
Mar 7, 2007, 11:59 AM
I'd love to see a Mac Mini update. I'd love to use one as a compact media server.

they will discontinue the mini, and release the mac nano. it will be smaller.

Eidorian
Mar 7, 2007, 12:01 PM

http://tinyurl.com/34mu9kWhere the heck do you guys find this stuff on the Apple PR page? I was lucky enough to find an original iMac G3 and Power Mac G3 B&W.

Yvan256
Mar 7, 2007, 12:03 PM
Is the Mac Mini working as a switching machine for those with screens, keyboards and mice that came with their PCs, or are people simply going for the iMac? [...] It just doesn't seem to fit in the product line up anymore. I don't know what sales are like but it might be time to knock this product on the head and leave it as a well-loved Mac of days gone by.

I, for one, already have a keyboard, mouse and display. I also have a Mac mini G4/1.42GHz. If the Mac mini is dropped, then my LCD monitor is useless (I don't have room for both an iMac and an external LCD display).

Also, the basic 17" iMac (with the GMA950) is 1100$CAD, that's 420$CAD more than the basic Mac mini (580$CAD). That's not twice as expensive, but almost. I really don't see how the Mac mini doesn't fit in the lineup.

Strangely enough, all Mac mini related images don't show up on the Canadian page at the moment: http://www.apple.com/ca/macmini/

MarcelV
Mar 7, 2007, 12:04 PM
ipod hi-fi = bad idea. i expect to see it overhauled entirely or discontinued for a different idea

And where do you base this on? Last I read, which is now a few month ago, it was the second best selling speaker system (in revenue) for the iPod. First was the Bose. 4th in the complete category, based on quantity. Not bad at all!

roland.g
Mar 7, 2007, 12:05 PM
Where the heck do you guys find this stuff on the Apple PR page? I was lucky enough to find an original iMac G3 and Power Mac G3 B&W.

if you look at the redirect, it says imac_toyko whatever that means.

BenRoethig
Mar 7, 2007, 12:07 PM

I'm hoping next generation iMacs use the consumer level 19 and 22- inch panels instead of the older pro panels their using. I also hope they go for the brushed metal look across the line. Same resolution, but more space for things like an MXM card for graphics.

Eidorian
Mar 7, 2007, 12:11 PM
if you look at the redirect, it says imac_toyko whatever that means.It was where the iMac G3 revision was released. It's just there's no easy way to search Apple PR for older images other then the current hardware.

roland.g
Mar 7, 2007, 12:15 PM
I'm hoping next generation iMacs use the consumer level 19 and 22- inch panels instead of the older pro panels their using. I also hope they go for the brushed metal look across the line. Same resolution, but more space for things like an MXM card for graphics.

I too want a brushed aluminum iMac, however:

a. I think Apple like to differentiate their consumer and pro lines

b. The remote transmits through the plastic near the Apple logo, I don't know how they resolve this without cutting a hole somewhere in the face for a reciever. They hide Mini's at the right end of the optical drive.

So it seems much more likely they will do a black acrylic.

shen
Mar 7, 2007, 12:18 PM
I'm unsure why so many people are saying that they will use a Mac Mini for this purpose when it receives some future upgrade.

We're using on for this right now ... cable TV signal into the Mini via a Miglia TVMax (chosen because it offers some built-in hardware encoding to take the strain off the Mini's rather weedy graphics capabilities) and straight out of the Mini into an LG 26" LCD TV via unadapted DVI. Harmon Kardon speakers out of the Mini to provide the sound. Add a wireless keyboard and mouse, and a broadband connection and we're very happy with the set-up.

oh i am not waiting for an upgrade to get it, i AM getting it, but hey, if they want to make it an even better machine first... well, i won't stop them! :D

MrCrowbar
errr...

Mid March -> Mac Mini Update
Mid June -> Leopard

3 months apart. Let the switcher get his first Mac, he's poor because he just got his new Dell with Vista on it, and he is pissed that it doesn't work as expected. If he looked at the Mac Mini as it is now, he would say "that's so yesterday". Seriously, the Mac Mini was really outdated when compared to the Macbook.

I hope they make the Mini on par with the base model Macbook. 1.83 GHz Core 2 Duo, GMA 950, 512 RAM and say 60 GB hard drive. I'd totally buy that for the current price of the low end Mini. Hook it up to some oversized LCD display and one of those Elgato TV cards and I got a nice little server/media center.

yagran
And where do you base this on? Last I read, which is now a few month ago, it was the second best selling speaker system (in revenue) for the iPod. First was the Bose. 4th in the complete category, based on quantity. Not bad at all!

yar and i have the bose. apple hi-fi may be second but its not a big seller in the uk at all. theres more to the world than america

QCassidy352
Mar 7, 2007, 12:20 PM
I am skeptical about the nano being updated. It's not that old, and I don't know what they'd do with it, unless this is just a capacity bump. that does seem plausbile.

the mini clearly needs the update, but I don't know. Merom was available when the mini was last updated and apple chose not to use it. So why would they do so now? Makes more sense to me to wait until santa rosa so the mini can get a new processor and the GMA x3000. bumping it to merom now would just be the update that should have been done 6 months ago.

Digital Skunk
Mar 7, 2007, 12:22 PM
Maybe Apple will do away with the Mac Mini and mac is an Apple TV Pro. It will have all the things that that other guy said with HDMI and what not and a super drive for watching DVDs and stuff on it. Then you can switch it over to computer mode and use your keyboard to surf the web and type papers and what not. I think it is feasible.:D

MrCrowbar
Mar 7, 2007, 12:23 PM
I too want a brushed aluminum iMac, however:

a. I think Apple like to differentiate their consumer and pro lines

b. The remote transmits through the plastic near the Apple logo, I don't know how they resolve this without cutting a hole somewhere in the face for a reciever. They hide Mini's at the right end of the optical drive.

So it seems much more likely they will do a black acrylic.

They did a good job hiding the iSight LED in the Macbook Pro. It's invisible when it's off. I guess they grinded off most of the metal of the display frame right where the LED is located so there's just a thin layer of aluminum at that spot. Maybe there's some plastic layer behind it for stability. The mic was moved to on of the holes with the display hook I suppose.

Digital Skunk
Mar 7, 2007, 12:28 PM
Not in its current configuration, no.

For example, Dell in the UK are selling a Core 2 Duo PC with DVD rewriter, 19" flat screen monitor, 160GB hard drive, keyboard/mouse etc and 1GB of RAM for £439. :eek: Only £39 more than the cheapest Mac Mini.

And it's a piece of junk running that garbage Vista... I will buy their monitors and .... :confused: No just their monitors. Other than that I wouldn't touch their cpus with a ten foot poll and forget about windows all together...

Nice point though. I think the idea of the Mini is a great idea for a hold over computer for already MacFanBoys waiting for their main machine to be updated or something. Or for those that need a media center Mac before the Apple TV comes out or one that has optical drive in it. I have seen some PC users switch to the Mini to give Mac a try but not too many people have kept them, or they will upgrade to the iMac after a while. My mom was new to Mac about a year ago and we told her to get a Mini and just plug all of her peripherals into it. She decided to get the iMac because it was cute:D She bypassed the Mini because she didn't want to even use her old PC garbage parts to start off her new life as a MacFanGirl. :apple:

gkarris
Mar 7, 2007, 12:35 PM
Maybe Apple will do away with the Mac Mini and mac is an Apple TV Pro. It will have all the things that that other guy said with HDMI and what not and a super drive for watching DVDs and stuff on it. Then you can switch it over to computer mode and use your keyboard to surf the web and type papers and what not. I think it is feasible.:D

I think we need the Mini, I love mine, and so does everyone else I know that has bought one.

We need something better than a computer-Tivo and not as expensive as an iMac or MacPro...

Chupa Chupa
Mar 7, 2007, 12:36 PM
As far as the HiFi goes, I would like to see them turn it into a pair of powered stereo monitors with wireless connection to the Apple TV.

Ugh. I'd like to see the Hi-Fi go bye-bye. The Hi-Fi isn't an impressive product and way overpriced, even by Apple standards. There are too many other GOOD speaker companies. Let them make the Wi-Fi speakers.

notsofatjames
Mar 7, 2007, 12:40 PM

Too powerful and it steals from the MacPro market, too weak and it loses out to the iMac, too much of a Media Hub and it becomes the Apple TV with DVD player (which makes the Apple TV less appealing). It just doesn't seem to fit in the product line up anymore. I don't know what sales are like but it might be time to knock this product on the head and leave it as a well-loved Mac of days gone by.

i used the mini when i switched from PC. it was a lowly g4 with 512MB or RAM, which i popped the top off to upgrade to 1GB. it was a fantastic machine for switchers. it only cost £250 or so, and i could use my old monitor keyboard and mouse. at the time i wasnt sure if i wanted to spend £900 on an iMac or iBook. and selling secondhand, i wouldnt lose much if i didnt like OS X. here i am, 2 years later, checking macrumors everyday, on my iMac, wondering why I ever owned a PC.

As for a media centre, it is much better than an AppleTV, because you can put DVDs and CDs in there. You can lose the DVD player, lose the stereo, and replace it with a mini, which isnt that much bigger than the AppleTV. I'd pay an extra £200 for that. and you get the added bonus, its a proper computer too, so you can do whatever you need to if you need to too. I'm just wondering if Apple will pair up with TV manufacturers to make TVs with AppleTV built in. But then its practically an iMac. If only iMacs had video in....

mrthieme
Mar 7, 2007, 12:42 PM
Ugh. I'd like to see the Hi-Fi go bye-bye. The Hi-Fi isn't an impressive product and way overpriced, even by Apple standards. There are too many other GOOD speaker companies. Let them make the Wi-Fi speakers.

I agree that it needs some help, I'd like to see them get it, from an experienced audio company. Also, is anyone making such a product?

Rod Rod
Mar 7, 2007, 12:44 PM

That's too bad that Apple misspelled "Dalmatian."

A 2007 update to Flower Power and Dalmatian would be nice though.

ChrisA
Mar 7, 2007, 12:46 PM
I would like a Mac Mini with....an HDMI port.

Buy a DVI to HDMI cable. I got one from Amazon for under $20 and it plugs right into a 40" Sony LCD I do expect them to putr the C2D chip in the Mini soon. My guess is that Apple wants all their hardware to be 64-bit when Leopard ships. Lileky there is some feature inside Leopard or maybe iLife 07 that wants 64-bits. Leopard will be out in June

iGuy
Mar 7, 2007, 12:50 PM
The Apple TV only supports up to 720p/1080i.

It does not support 1080p.

Whereas the Mac Mini can support displays up to 1920 x 1200.

So the Mini is still a higher resolution and more versatile unit than the Apple TV.

A refreshed Mini with an HDMI port with HDCP would, to me at least, be a better option. Obviously at a higher price point.

Those who want the extra functionality of the Mini would expect to pay more and those who just want a set-top box would appreciate the lower cost of the Apple TV.

For me, until the Apple TV supports 1080p, I don't see the point. Clearly a lot of others do so it works for them.

FYI, I have a 30 inch Apple Cinema Display and my TV is a Sharp Aquos LCD-37D90U which supports 1080p.

~iGuy

ChrisA
Mar 7, 2007, 12:51 PM

I agree that it's expensive for what you get but it just happens to be one of the best selling speakers for the iPod. it is doing very well.

There really are NOT many good speakers being made. Not any more. Most are cheaply made. Very few, if any sound as good as my 25 year old Infinity speakers

ChrisCarr
Mar 7, 2007, 12:59 PM
http://www.theonion.com/content/node/59345?&utm_source=digg_1

I think this sums up all the recent frenzy of product rumors!

aswitcher
Mar 7, 2007, 01:08 PM
Black options would be nice for new iMacs and minis.

milo
Mar 7, 2007, 01:09 PM
it obviously won't have new graphics card. It will continue with integrated video processor.

It won't have a card, but they can upgrade the integrated video chip. They really just need to go to C2D, 3 gigs ram max (same as laptops) and version N wifi card, especially since the aTV uses N. And probably standardize on DVD burner in all models, those are dirt cheap.

Way overdue for an update. It's a nice box, but the tech is way outdated.

fistful
Mar 7, 2007, 01:13 PM
I'm hoping the top end Nano gets bumped up to 16GB shortly. I've been waiting the last 2 years for a flash based iPod that could fit all of my music, my library is currently around 14GB atm.

0tim0
Mar 7, 2007, 01:26 PM
PMA starts tomorrow. Apple's web site says they will be there. I had been kinda expecting an Aperture update or announcement or something. Maybe they'll roll out some new hardware....

--t

yagran
Mar 7, 2007, 01:30 PM
whats PMA?

edit - http://www.pmai.org/

MagicWok
Mar 7, 2007, 01:33 PM
The Apple TV only supports up to 720p/1080i.

It does not support 1080p.

Whereas the Mac Mini can support displays up to 1920 x 1200.

So the Mini is still a higher resolution and more versatile unit than the Apple TV.

A refreshed Mini with an HDMI port with HDCP would, to me at least, be a better option. Obviously at a higher price point.

Those who want the extra functionality of the Mini would expect to pay more and those who just want a set-top box would appreciate the lower cost of the Apple TV.

For me, until the Apple TV supports 1080p, I don't see the point. Clearly a lot of others do so it works for them.

FYI, I have a 30 inch Apple Cinema Display and my TV is a Sharp Aquos LCD-37D90U which supports 1080p.

~iGuy

What he said:p

dmelgar
Mar 7, 2007, 01:34 PM
I vote for a Mini. I'd like to use it as a media PC. Waiting for C2D, 802.11n, Leopard.

Apple has come close but missed the target on several products recently...

Mini: Original Mini missing digital audio output to be used as a media center. Apple did a good job with the update, adding the remote, frontrow, digital audio in/out, built in 802.11, bluetooth. However, being stuck with one 2.5" drive as a media center PC is a hard sell. I wish they would have made the case a little bigger and allowed a user replaceable 3.5" drive. Hitachi has announced a 1TB 3.5" drive. Thats some serious storage.

iPhone: Should have 3G, otherwise whats the point of a internet connected device with snail slow connectivity.

iPod: They need an iPhone without the phone.

Apple TV: All this hype. There's no support for composite video output, so you much be targetting new HDTV consumers. Yet the device can't handle 1080p?!!!! I think thats a huge mistake, marketing wise if nothing else. People love numbers. HDTV folks learn 1080p=good. Spend $ on a Apple TV with only 720p? No way.

The Mini is a better choice than Apple TV because it can do everything an Apple TV can do PLUS it can handle 1080p, has a DVD player, can play DIVX, can be used as a PVR with a USB addition, could be used as a HDTV receiver/PVR with a USB addon, and can be used as a general purpose computer to watch youTube etc. And it can run Parallels and Windows. I wonder if anyone will buy an Apple TV.

What the deal with the hard drive pricing too. Brand new 160GB 2.5" hard drive are $100 at newegg, yet Apple charges $250 UPGRADE from a 60GB. Most laptops are now coming with 120GB drives because they're so cheap.

bretm
Mar 7, 2007, 01:39 PM
I've been waiting for Apple to add the Duo 2 to the Mac mini to replace my aged Blueberry iMac at home. With 19" and 22" flat panels so cheap, it seems like a better deal than the iMacs.

Carleton in Austin, TX

Cheap LCDs are just that. The iMac LCD is as good as LCDs get. So yeah, you could get a mini with a Core Duo and a crappy LCD for about the cost of a Core2Duo iMac and an awesome LCD. Oh, and it comes with a mouse and keyboard. iMacs are probably apple's best deal around.

Macula
Mar 7, 2007, 01:45 PM
Oh, did you hear? Merom MBPs coming next Tuesday. :D

BenRoethig
Mar 7, 2007, 01:47 PM
if you look at the redirect, it says imac_toyko whatever that means.

There used to be a Tokyo MacWorld. Like MWNY, it went the way of the dodo.

BestBuyBoy
Mar 7, 2007, 01:47 PM
There is always a Tuesday somewhere. :apple: :p

Actually that isnt quite true.. from the US, china begins thier tuesday as alaska finishes Monday.. at no point does any day take more than 24 hours to make it around the globe.. the overlap occurs because of time diffrences that account for delays , but never greater than 36 hours will anywhere in the world be tuesday... correct me if I am wrong..

yagran
Mar 7, 2007, 01:49 PM
when i got my mac mini i was switching from a pc. i had just bought a 19" samsung monitor which is great for me (plenty big enuff for a desk monitor). that is why i didnt get an iMac (mouse and keyboard irrelevant)

Mr Skills
Mar 7, 2007, 01:55 PM
I don't think there's any question that the HiFi will be changed or dropped soon.

Argos (huge UK chain) have been running a "buy an ipod HiFi and get a 30GB iPod for £99" offer for quite a while. And if you go to other chains (e.g. Currys Digital) they will happily match it. Since everyone will discount, it must be coming from further back in the chain - i.e. Apple. But they are insisting that the discounts are cleverly hidden so as not to drop perceived value.

If Apple are discounting iPod hifis this heavily, they must be due for replacement - and since press for it has been mixed at best, it would make sense. I don't think it has been a huge success.

I actually meant to submit this to the MacRumors about a month ago but I forgot :(

Applespider
Mar 7, 2007, 02:23 PM
The company that I work for is selling through the current Macbooks, iMacs and Minis with a free camera until the end of March. The wording on the memo was 'End of Line' and we have no more deliveries scheduled until after that date...

Still, I'm not buying my iMac until Leopard comes out.

bonafide
Mar 7, 2007, 02:52 PM
Release a new iMac.. and get a new customer.. simple enuff

zap2
Mar 7, 2007, 03:10 PM
Mac Minis, iPod (if we get a Nano update first I'll be mad, but the Nanos are still "newish", iPod Hi-Fi this week(they all need it)

Then iMac and Macbook Pro w/ new iPod Nanos

Then MacBooks and Mac Pro

donlphi
Mar 7, 2007, 03:17 PM
Slimmer. No. Have you seen the inside. I don't think so.

That's what they've said about every machine invented. It's possible. They won't be able to use the same guts, but it could be done.

If not, I don't really care. Mine will be stuffed in my car's glovebox.

Data
Mar 7, 2007, 03:18 PM
Those are 2 completely different products in deifferent price ranges, the one has got nothing to do with the other.

Further more i too hope they will update the mini, that would be my media centre choice aswell .

ddubbo
Mar 7, 2007, 03:42 PM
overall, I don't see much change in Mini other than processor and possibly a RAM increase.

Apple is not a charity org. They are profit driven company. don't expect spank new technology in a $500 computer. that's like asking Ferrari to make a 1000 horse-powered sportscar for $15000.
Where is a new technology? Cd2 1.66, 80gb 7200 harddisk, 1GB RAM, 128 MB Intell 950 videocard along time ago became a standard for low-end 500-600$ PCs. Current Mac mini doesn't look like Ferrari, it's rather shassie of Fiat Punto in the body of Alpha Romeo

peharri
Mar 7, 2007, 03:47 PM
Added a poll to the thread. Sorry in advance for not making the poll multiple choice. I meant to, but I forgot, and vBulletin doesn't let you go back and make it multiple-choice after the fact. So, just choose the "most correct" answer ;)

Wouldn't it be better to ask which we all want the most? The question as written... well, I'm not seeing who would be interested in the answer. Well, not unless "sjobs" votes, and then only if he's the only one...

scratchyback
Mar 7, 2007, 04:11 PM
I Love the Mini's size.
Hope that it could transform/include a 'Pro' version:
Graphics card
7200 HD
F/W 800
Express port
C2D
Thats all I need. Do not need to lug a Mac Pro around the world and MacBookPro takes too much space on a desk if I use my lovely big 24" monitor.
Also worry that MBP too fragile for the hands of my two year old.

'Sigh'

TantalizedMind
Mar 7, 2007, 04:53 PM
I would buy a Black MacBook in a heart beat if they added a backlit keyboard. Then I could justify spending the extra money just to get a black one....here's to hoping.

SAME HERE! This is the one and ONLY reason why I haven't bought the Black MacBook.

Linito
Mar 7, 2007, 04:58 PM
I think that the macmini is the most likely candidate to an update not only on specs but on looks, lets face it the imac was introduced at 2004 and 3 years later, 3 diferent processors after, it stil looks the same, macmini same thing 2005 - 2007 nothing changed in the apearance, and the macbook pro looks just like a powerbook. I know great designs live forever, and yes pc's look as but ugly as they did 3-4 years ago, but its time for some eye candy something to go wow! on the mac side.

;) :D :apple:

Stridder44
Mar 7, 2007, 04:58 PM
Leopard secrets? Lemme guess, there are none. Come out with it already!!

whatever
Mar 7, 2007, 05:14 PM

You're actually correcting someone who starts a sentence with "Me wants".

arkmannj
Mar 7, 2007, 05:48 PM
I'd love to see an updated mac mini, but with Santa Rosa a little ways out still, I'd have to say I would wait for that. I want to use it as a nice "media mac" and maybe some light weight home server uses.

Maybe we'll see a headless iMac (The Super mac mini, or the mac mini on steroids ) the form factor could even be a little bigger, I wouldn't mind

SactoGuy18
Mar 7, 2007, 06:02 PM
In regards to iPod updates, a few comments:

1) You can forget about hardware updates to the nano outside of a few new colors for the metallic case. I'd love an orange-color case nano, though! :D

2) There may be a small chance we finally get the 6G iPod with the widescreen display with touchscreen controls using 80 and 120 GB hard drives, though I kind of doubt it.

AidenShaw
Mar 7, 2007, 06:28 PM
Where the heck do you guys find this stuff on the Apple PR page? I was lucky enough to find an original iMac G3 and Power Mac G3 B&W.

Good info for Mac hardware models at: http://www.apple-history.com/?page=gallery&model=ibook&performa=off&sort=date&order=ASC

The pics - Yahoo! for "flower power dalmation imac", it's the first link.

ortuno2k
Mar 7, 2007, 07:13 PM
I agree with most that the Mini does need an update. I don't honestly see an update on the iMacs until Santa Rosa comes out, but if it does come out sooner then it's all good!

I just bought my MBP 2 months ago and have no plans at all of getting any more systems for now.

But yea, the Core Duo does seem out of place.

Eidorian
Mar 7, 2007, 07:13 PM
The pics - Yahoo! for "flower power dalmation imac", it's the first link.It does seem rather odd that out of date Apple PR pages still show up on Google. They're not currently active but Apple hasn't really made an attempt to get rid of these pages. It's a good source for pictures of older hardware.

ortuno2k
Mar 7, 2007, 07:17 PM
I think that the macmini is the most likely candidate to an update not only on specs but on looks, lets face it the imac was introduced at 2004 and 3 years later, 3 diferent processors after, it stil looks the same, macmini same thing 2005 - 2007 nothing changed in the apearance, and the macbook pro looks just like a powerbook. I know great designs live forever, and yes pc's look as but ugly as they did 3-4 years ago, but its time for some eye candy something to go wow! on the mac side.

;) :D :apple:

I "wow" people every time they see my MBP.
Even when I had visit at home and they'd see my iMac..."where's the computer?"

It works, and it's great. I honestly don't see what else they could do, but Apple is a great and innovative company.

I'd like to see backlit keyboards on all the portables.
And a phone-less iPhone.
And yes, a hardware update to the minis.
And where's Leopard and the secret features?
And iLife & iWork?
:)

bored911
Mar 7, 2007, 07:21 PM
i think they will update the regular ipod first

MattyMac
Mar 7, 2007, 07:29 PM
New nanos already? I highly doubt it.

...would be nice though.

iDave
Mar 7, 2007, 07:49 PM
Apple TV: All this hype. There's no support for composite video output, so you much be targetting new HDTV consumers. Yet the device can't handle 1080p?!!!! I think thats a huge mistake, marketing wise if nothing else. People love numbers. HDTV folks learn 1080p=good. Spend $ on a Apple TV with only 720p? No way.
I'd wager 95% of HDTVs currently on the market are 720P. There are a few available with the super high 1080P resolution but only gear heads are buying them. There's no 1080P content to use on your wished-for 1080P AppleTV. There's not even any 720P content yet. Your hopes are getting a little ahead of reality. Sorry to bounce off-topic.

Belly-laughs
Mar 7, 2007, 08:28 PM
hmmm, maybe the hifi might be an add on to the apple tv as a home theater in a box like the yamaha YSP and bose models (virtual sound). i'd like that.

The Hi-Fi needs Wi-Fi badly. Coupled with some satellites it would suit the :apple:TV nicely. And also for streaming music from computer/iPod Hi-Fi to Hi-Fis in other rooms. Which may require a new remoteÖ or Wi-Fi iPod.

AidenShaw
Mar 7, 2007, 08:30 PM
There's no 1080P content to use on your wished-for 1080P AppleTV. There's not even any 720P content yet.

Perhaps you should stop by your local television store, or visit the "Blu-ray/HD-DVD" aisle at the closest Best Buy. There's quite a bit of 1080p available, and it's very rapidly growing.

More to the point though, everyone is seeing that 1080p is the future, with images like:

http://www.sonystyle.com/intershoproot/eCS/Store/en/imagesOnline/static/1080/img_1080_hero.jpg

Why buy an Apple TV that isn't even a TV, and only supports last year's standard. It's a "future-proofing" issue - how can Apple charge "Bang & Olufsen" prices, and deliver Walmart goods?

Apple fans love to brag that "Macs last longer" - so why is Apple introducing a new product line that's marginally obsolete even before it ships? (By the way, is the HDMI port on the Apple TV the current HDMI 1.3 spec, or is it last year's version?)

See more mass market 1080p "brain-washing" at: 1080p Means Full HD (http://www.learningcenter.sony.us/HomeAudioandVideo/Televisions/Research1/1080pMeansFullHD)

aafuss1
Mar 7, 2007, 08:41 PM
I'd like to see updated Mac minis with a Core 2 Duo processor, HDMI out and draft 802.11n capable Airport Extreme card.

dmelgar
Mar 7, 2007, 08:41 PM
I'd wager 95% of HDTVs currently on the market are 720P. There are a few available with the super high 1080P resolution but only gear heads are buying them. There's no 1080P content to use on your wished-for 1080P AppleTV. There's not even any 720P content yet. Your hopes are getting a little ahead of reality. Sorry to bounce off-topic.
Maybe not on iTunes, but there's plenty of 720p content. A Mini can easily receive HDTV over the air which is 720p. There are also HD-DVD and bluray videos already available on bittorrent. They're especially practical when encoded using h.264. Apple has h.264 1080p trailers on their website.

I can counter the "95% of HDTVs are 720p" with "most TVs out there still aren't HDTV at all". Folks that are willing to dish out $299 for a glorified iTunes to TV connector will want the latest and greatest. I know many people who've spent the extra $ to get a 1080p HDTV so that it doesn't become obsolete as fast. Favored TV has been a Sony. In my informal survey, 25-30% of people I know with HDTVs have recently bought 1080p. Xbox and PS3 already support 1080p and you can download the view movies using XBox. Apple TV isn't even out yet and its already been trumped.

iDave
Mar 7, 2007, 09:07 PM
I stand corrected on my HDTV comment. A quick look at the top sellers at circuitcity.com in the 37-45" class shows six out of the top 14 are 1080P. There were fewer available when I purchased my 720P set six months ago. Frankly I didn't even consider 1080P. 720P seems really sharp to me.

I plan to buy a mini soon instead of AppleTV so I hope an upgrade comes soon. It would be nice to get both Leopard and Core 2 Duo when I buy but I don't know if I'll wait that long. I cancelled my AppleTV order, not because of its 720P limitation but more because it's a Rev A product that lacks a lot of things.

Rocketman
Mar 7, 2007, 09:08 PM
I'd like to see updated Mac minis with a Core 2 Duo processor, HDMI out and draft 802.11n capable Airport Extreme card.

1. I agree.

2. What say they increase the price point slightly to compensate?
You know, increase the "low end" a bit.

Rocketman

AidenShaw
Mar 7, 2007, 09:10 PM
I plan to buy a mini soon instead of AppleTV so I hope an upgrade comes soon.

http://www.hdtvuk.tv/2006/10/forget_1080p_lo.html

(Is it necessary to use a smiley for the sarcasm-challenged?)

Rocketman
Mar 7, 2007, 09:33 PM
http://www.hdtvuk.tv/2006/10/forget_1080p_lo.html

(Is it necessary to use a smiley for the sarcasm-challenged?)

In another thread we have been talking "4K" which is "available now".

2540p RAW and 4K RAW formats.

Still image:

http://red.com/images/technology/1.jpg

4K movie link down now.

Rocketman

Stella
Mar 7, 2007, 09:37 PM
Apple fans love to brag that "Macs last longer" - so why is Apple introducing a new product line that's marginally obsolete even before it ships? (By the way, is the HDMI port on the Apple TV the current HDMI 1.3 spec, or is it last year's version?)[/url]

Its so Apple can come out with iTV 2 next year with 1080p and make more profit!

AidenShaw
Mar 7, 2007, 09:46 PM
In another thread we have been talking "4K" which is "available now".

2540p RAW and 4K RAW formats.

Still image:

http://red.com/images/technology/1.jpg

4K movie link down now.

Rocketman

But 4K is aimed more for (and priced more for) the Hollywood set who want to do theatrical releases that are digital start to finish.

1440p and 2160p have a better chance of showing up in the home theatre than the 4K format!

AidenShaw
Mar 7, 2007, 09:51 PM
Its so Apple can come out with iTV 2 next year with 1080p and make more profit!

They could come out with the Apple TV ][ 1080i this fall, and the Apple TV≥ 1080p next spring, and sell three Apple TVs to every fanboi!

BTW, if you're from Canada, shouldn't your avatar be the adopted kid from SP?

BWhaler
Mar 7, 2007, 09:51 PM
Well,

the iPod nano makes sense since it's time for an iPod refresh and updating the nano won't bring a rash of "why didn't they just make it like the iPhone with the phone part"

The mac mini makes sense too since it can get a bump to the old CD2 and clear inventory prior to Santa Rosa.

The iMac, etc. rumors, I think are wrong. They will see a bump with Santa Rosa in May/June.

AidenShaw
Mar 7, 2007, 09:59 PM
The mac mini makes sense too since it can get a bump to the old CD2 and clear inventory prior to Santa Rosa.

The iMac, etc. rumors, I think are wrong. They will see a bump with Santa Rosa in May/June.
Perhaps, but the Merom/Clovertown rollouts have shown that Apple doesn't feel any need to use the current parts in their systems - they'll continue to use the older generation long after the other PC vendors have upgraded.

Where is the 8 CPU Mac Pro, after all? Everyone else has the quad core dual socket systems available....

Or, perhaps OSX falls on its face with 8 CPUs, so Apple will have to wait to 10.5 before releasing an 8 CPU system.

Cult Follower
Mar 7, 2007, 10:18 PM
I really hope new products are kicked out every week...maybe not, because then we will go along time without any announcements, and that is really not fun.

samh004
Mar 7, 2007, 10:29 PM
the mini clearly needs the update, but I don't know. Merom was available when the mini was last updated and apple chose not to use it. So why would they do so now? Makes more sense to me to wait until santa rosa so the mini can get a new processor and the GMA x3000. bumping it to merom now would just be the update that should have been done 6 months ago.

This actually makes the most sense, they don't want the lowest-entry-level-mac to have the same innards as the consumer level macbooks, and one iMac.

Mac Mini gets a C2D and 802.11n (so everything will have it).
MacBook /Pro and iMac move to Santa Rosa, justifying the price point above the Mini and justifying the Mini being below the MacBook et all.

It's pretty simple thinking, and is the most logical... I just hope it happens relatively soon.

I'd say for a time also, evenything would be C2D, and then the slightly higher level consumer and pro machines would get the extra bump with Santa Rosa and a C2D.

penguy
Mar 7, 2007, 10:43 PM

I have a 1.42 G4 which still works wonderfully, but I want more speed to deal with 10,000 photos (which will mostly be RAW files) per year... I love the form factor, it works for me...

C2D, more base memory, larger and/or faster drive and offer the video from the MB pro.

AidenShaw
Mar 7, 2007, 10:44 PM
This actually makes the most sense, they don't want the lowest-entry-level-mac to have the same innards as the consumer level macbooks, and one iMac.

The MiniMac, the MacBook, and the iMac are three completely different systems.

If someone needs a laptop, why would he worry that the low end desktop might have the same processor - the MiniMac doesn't have the screen, keyboard, battery and portability that he's looking for!

Same for the iMac - although a more powerful MiniMac might mean more sales for Apple, not fewer. A lot of people don't want all-in-ones for various reasons, and the huge gap between the MiniMac and the MaxiMac tower sends them to the PC aisle. A more powerful MiniMac or a MiniTowerMac would result in one more switcher - not in a loss for Apple.

andrewag
Mar 8, 2007, 12:41 AM
Hopefully the Mac mini will be updated. It is well overdue.

stephenli
Mar 8, 2007, 01:00 AM
please, please, please... Just release an orange Nano and a tranlucent orange iMac!!!! Please? I want my translucent plastic back!!!! :D

one more orange nano here!
waited for a long time since iPod mini released...
(now i got orange shuffle already...before its announcement, i just bought a silver shuffle:( )

TheBobcat
Mar 8, 2007, 01:04 AM

If they're going to leave it behind, it wouldn't hurt to keep it in line with comparable offerings by dropping the price. I know everyone's excuse is that the software makes the product worth it, but for what you get, the price is high. In today's world, a budget computer is not $600 bucks sans monitor. While Apple avoids real low-end configs, the prices still could stand to come down on the Mini.

The Mini really should have an entry at $499. That's an important barrier to break for the entire Macintosh lineup and could assist in also debunking paradigms about Apple.

murfle
Mar 8, 2007, 01:46 AM
Release a new iMac.. and get a new customer.. simple enuff

Make that two new customers :)

Jim Campbell
Mar 8, 2007, 02:44 AM
I hope they make the Mini on par with the base model Macbook. 1.83 GHz Core 2 Duo, GMA 950, 512 RAM and say 60 GB hard drive. I'd totally buy that for the current price of the low end Mini. Hook it up to some oversized LCD display and one of those Elgato TV cards and I got a nice little server/media center.

And, again, I'm curious as to what part of this preferred, upgraded spec is the deal maker for using a Mini as a media centre, when compared to its current spec ...?

The Mini is already available with 120Gb and 160Gb HDDs as BTO options from Apple. If you need more than that, then this will put another 320Gb of storage on without spoiling the aesthetics:

http://store.apple.com/Apple/WebObjects/ukstore.woa/wa/RSLID?mco=14973133&nplm=TL496

As noted in my previous post, the Miglia TVMax in preference to one of the Elgato TV Tuner solutions preserves the form factor, but takes the video-crunching load off the CPU, and the Mini quite cheerfully uses my 26" LCD TV as a display.

The DVD burner means that you can archive TV shows that you've recorded on a rolling basis and keep the majority of your HDD free for scratch disk purposes, or for your music ...

Cheers!

Jim

illegalprelude
Mar 8, 2007, 04:57 AM
i dont wish to turn this into an AppleTV thread but I agree with others with wtf apple was thinking with 720p support and not 1080i atleast or really, 1080p

Roy Hobbs
Mar 8, 2007, 07:43 AM
why would apple ship a **** ton of macs with tiger on it when they know that most mac owners are holding out for leopard to be preinstalled, this is a simple representation of supply and demand. Sure they may update a few of the tech specs on the hardware in coorelation with the release of leopard (steve won't give a speech when he only has one product to release) but all of this is just a representation of the fact that leopard is coming out soon

The general public has no clue about Leopard. Do you really think the average consumer is sitting at home waiting for Leopard to get their next Mac. NO, most people go online or to the sotre and buy when they need.want something. The people on this forum and all the other Mac forums are the minority.

ddubbo
Mar 8, 2007, 10:24 AM
The MiniMac, the MacBook, and the iMac are three completely different systems.

If someone needs a laptop, why would he worry that the low end desktop might have the same processor - the MiniMac doesn't have the screen, keyboard, battery and portability that he's looking for!

Same for the iMac - although a more powerful MiniMac might mean more sales for Apple, not fewer. A lot of people don't want all-in-ones for various reasons, and the huge gap between the MiniMac and the MaxiMac tower sends them to the PC aisle. A more powerful MiniMac or a MiniTowerMac would result in one more switcher - not in a loss for Apple.

Exactly. I was with emac G4. After that i switched back to PC. Why? Because I don't like all-in-one approach to any product, and Mac Pro is too expensive for me, when Mac mini is too weak

mrgreen4242
Mar 8, 2007, 10:37 AM
You can't put a 3.5" drive in the Mini. Not without changing the form factor, which is highly unlikely. Nor is it any more likely to see it become a user serviceable unit. There's more chance of a mid-range tower before any such changes to the Mini. Core 2 Duo, Santa Rosa & the X3000 GPU, and 802.11n are all almost for certain upgrades within the next cycle or so, and the HDMI port is anyone's guess.

I don't think it's highly unlikely at all. It's been a few years since the mini as we know it was released, and the last update of any kind was quite some time ago. It's due for some tweaking in form-factor/design.

I think they will keep the same footprint, but go taller for the next model - at least on the high end. They may keep a small, lower priced model. Perhaps take the current high end, drop the price to $499, perhaps with some small changes.

A new model with a C2D, 3.5" HDD, more ports, improved video, maybe some better built in speakers would be nice. I figure they would only need to move about 2-2.5" up to accommodate all that; about the height of the mini plus the miniStack HDD enclosure available now. That makes room for the HDD and some additional cooling space and frees up the volume that the 2.5" HDD occupied for better (stereo) speakers, and some more cooling space.

Not sure if the C2D/X3000 run much hotter than the CD/GMA in the mini now, but a 3.5" HDD would add some heat, and I'd rather they used the space for additional air movement, passive radiators, etc than add more/louder fans to a new mini.

gkarris
Mar 8, 2007, 11:23 AM
Mini's will stay Mini's but with C2D - so that Apple can boast how all their Macs have C2D...

I think more of the redesigned Mac Pros, take the new enclosure and put a headless iMac in it for the midrange. Though, I don't know if Apple is listening. It seems that after I post this idea, people start to post a "Why? You can get an iMac!"

Just can't get it in their heads that we need a midrange desktop, not a midrange all-in-one...

dmelgar
Mar 8, 2007, 12:05 PM
I don't think it's highly unlikely at all. It's been a few years since the mini as we know it was released, and the last update of any kind was quite some time ago. It's due for some tweaking in form-factor/design.

I think they will keep the same footprint, but go taller for the next model - at least on the high end. They may keep a small, lower priced model. Perhaps take the current high end, drop the price to $499, perhaps with some small changes.

A new model with a C2D, 3.5" HDD, more ports, improved video, maybe some better built in speakers would be nice. I figure they would only need to move about 2-2.5" up to accommodate all that; about the height of the mini plus the miniStack HDD enclosure available now. That makes room for the HDD and some additional cooling space and frees up the volume that the 2.5" HDD occupied for better (stereo) speakers, and some more cooling space.

Not sure if the C2D/X3000 run much hotter than the CD/GMA in the mini now, but a 3.5" HDD would add some heat, and I'd rather they used the space for additional air movement, passive radiators, etc than add more/louder fans to a new mini.
I'm torn debating what Apple with do with the Mini. They should have made it accommodate a 3.5" drive when they first designed it so that it would work as a media center.
If they made a larger enclosure and put a 3.5" drive, that is LESS expensive than the current mini. The Mini is often compared to a cheap desktop PC, but its components are much more expensive. The Mini is really a headless Macbook.
Fujitsu has a new 300GB 2.5" drive coming out this quarter.

The Mini isn't really that weak. I'm not sure what Apple should do for a midrange desktop system.

Maccus Aurelius
Mar 8, 2007, 01:12 PM
To the people that call the Mini weak. Have you actually USED a mini? For all intents and purposes they run rather well, in fact run very quickly, especially the last updated models. Provided the apps running are all universal binary, one shouldn't have any issues with the mini.

I was seriously considering getting a Mac Pro, but because I plan on moving I have to consider my system's convenience when it moves with me. Minis are the P.E.R.F.E.C.T desktop computer in this regard. It's so small I can stick it in my backpack and basically have my entire workstation with me.

I do believe that I will buy a mini, but I'll be holding out waiting to see what they actually do with it. I'm not hurting for a new computer as I own a Macbook, but I need a good solid desktop that also gives me the option of being able to comfortably lug it anywhere I go. So far the mini is the only computer I have seen that provides this other than laptops. People don't give the mini as much credit as it deserves.

Mar 8, 2007, 01:58 PM
I just hope the update comes soon...I am almost convincing one colleague at work and my bro in law, both traditional PC users, to switch to a Mini and have a great Media Center Mac...let's just hope the new one comes soon... :rolleyes:

bpjauburn
Mar 8, 2007, 02:09 PM

This is my exact situation. I have not switched but would like to. I do not wish to get an iMac because I don't like the all in one setup. The Mac Pro, for me is like using a bazooka to kill a mosquito. The Mini is perfect for me needs in concept. I have been waiting for at least an upgrade to C2D (and Leopard of course). But now with Santa Rosa around the corner for the rest of the systems, I'm not sure it makes sense to pull the trigger on a Mini if they merely update it to C2D. Honestly, I'm not sure there is a Mac for my needs considering the enormous gap between the Mini and the Pro.

bpjauburn
Mar 8, 2007, 02:12 PM
i dont wish to turn this into an AppleTV thread but I agree with others with wtf apple was thinking with 720p support and not 1080i atleast or really, 1080p

This has to be related to the studios not wanting to kill HD-DVD/Blu Ray sales...

Maccus Aurelius
Mar 8, 2007, 02:41 PM

Easy answer: the iPod. iPods don't support movies at very high bit rates and are just not large enough in capacity to hold a decent amount of them. If iTunes movies were offered in HD, which was always within their capacity to begin with (QT HD trailers), they would've essentially cut the iPod right out of the loop. The movie would have to be copied and downscaled in order to play on an iPod, but because the video file is a protected format, it may prove difficult to impossible for lots of people.

iDave
Mar 8, 2007, 03:25 PM
This has to be related to the studios not wanting to kill HD-DVD/Blu Ray sales...
That, and bandwidth.

milo
Mar 8, 2007, 03:26 PM
To the people that call the Mini weak. Have you actually USED a mini? For all intents and purposes they run rather well, in fact run very quickly, especially the last updated models. Provided the apps running are all universal binary, one shouldn't have any issues with the mini.

While the mini can get the job done, it's definitely behind the times with things like CPU speed, ram, wifi, graphics chip. And the (bad) decision to go with a laptop drive puts them at a big HD disadvantage.

With more and more emphasis on things like audio and video, you can never have too much speed or space. It has been fairly competitive when first released (and the upgrade helped a little) but Apple just needs to keep speed bumping all machines on a more regular basis. Otherwise, it only makes sense to buy a machine in the window after a machine is relased or updated.

PNW
Mar 8, 2007, 03:55 PM
The Mini isn't really that weak. I'm not sure what Apple should do for a midrange desktop system.

It's not that strong either. Considering that I expect a computer I buy today to last 5-7 years. 1.8GHz, even in a dual core, doesn't seem to leave much room for tomorrow's apps. I also do a lot of digital dark room stuff and just don't trust "vampire video".

As for what a mid range tower or expanded mini should have:

NVIDIA GeForce 7300 GT 128MB graphics (with an option to upgrade to 256)
4 RAM slots (that are easily accessed for down the road upgrades)
Space for at least two 3.5 inch HDs
2.16GHz C2D available up to 3GHz

I really don't understand the sentiment that the mini must be less than the iMac (both in terms of quality and price). Why canít a top end mini cost more and be more powerful than a bottom end iMac? Vista is making a lot of PC users (myself included) take a fresh look at Mac and this is the kind of box we're used to buying.

Maccus Aurelius
Mar 8, 2007, 04:05 PM
What you just described would be a great apple mid-tower, but would shut the mini out completely.

milo
Mar 8, 2007, 04:13 PM
What you just described would be a great apple mid-tower, but would shut the mini out completely.

And would that be a bad thing?

What is ironic is that the machine proposed could probably cost the same as a mini if not less.

PNW
Mar 8, 2007, 04:22 PM

They could call it the mini3 (read as mini cubed):D

dmelgar
Mar 8, 2007, 04:23 PM
That, and bandwidth.
Bandwidth is reasonable for even a 1080p encoded using h.264.

I don't think they're protecting HD-DVD or Bluray by limiting to 720p any more than they try to protect DVD sales. I think they limited it to 720p because it takes more horsepower to support 1080p and they were trying to make the Apple TV cheap. My Macbook plays 1080p fine, but the CPU is close to maxed out. Hard to imagine playing it on something less than a Mini unless they include some hardware decoder chip.

dmelgar
Mar 8, 2007, 04:39 PM
It's not that strong either. Considering that I expect a computer I buy today to last 5-7 years. 1.8GHz, even in a dual core, doesn't seem to leave much room for tomorrow's apps. I also do a lot of digital dark room stuff and just don't trust "vampire video".

As for what a mid range tower or expanded mini should have:

NVIDIA GeForce 7300 GT 128MB graphics (with an option to upgrade to 256)
4 RAM slots (that are easily accessed for down the road upgrades)
Space for at least two 3.5 inch HDs
2.16GHz C2D available up to 3GHz

I really don't understand the sentiment that the mini must be less than the iMac (both in terms of quality and price). Why canít a top end mini cost more and be more powerful than a bottom end iMac? Vista is making a lot of PC users (myself included) take a fresh look at Mac and this is the kind of box we're used to buying.
I agree a powerful graphics adapter would be a big help.

But otherwise... do you really think changing from a 1.83ghz to a 2.16ghz is going to mean the difference between obsolescence and 7 year life? Thats less than 20%. I doubt anyone would ever seriously notice that. If you were talking double the speed, that would be substantial.

Memory has been limited to 2gig on most systems so far, Mini included. Would be nice to support 4gig or more but the current chipset doesn't support it.

You'll be able to get a 300GB hard drive in the Mini. Can get terabytes externally attached via USB or firewire.

PNW
Mar 8, 2007, 04:51 PM
do you really think changing from a 1.83ghz to a 2.16ghz is going to mean the difference between obsolescence and 7 year life? Thats less than 20%. I doubt anyone would ever seriously notice that. If you were talking double the speed, that would be substantial.

Sure, but I'm talking about moving from a top-end of 1.8 to a bottom-end of 2.16.
Personally, I'd shell out for the 2.6 or 3.0.

milo
Mar 8, 2007, 06:00 PM
Memory has been limited to 2gig on most systems so far, Mini included. Would be nice to support 4gig or more but the current chipset doesn't support it.

You'll be able to get a 300GB hard drive in the Mini. Can get terabytes externally attached via USB or firewire.

The iMacs and laptops all support 3 gig max, isn't the mini the ONLY one left that still is stuck at 2?

A 300 drive is still way smaller than 500 or 700, and all laptop drives are way more expensive than the same sized desktop drive. A second bay would be great as well and add very little to the cost.

And let's not forget N wifi versus G.

dmelgar
Mar 8, 2007, 08:46 PM
The iMacs and laptops all support 3 gig max, isn't the mini the ONLY one left that still is stuck at 2?
I'd be interested to find out. ASAIK, the Macbook is limited to 2gig but I thought it was a firmware issue, not sure.

A 300 drive is still way smaller than 500 or 700, and all laptop drives are way more expensive than the same sized desktop drive. A second bay would be great as well and add very little to the cost.

Agreed. Hitachi has announced a 1TB (1000GB) 3.5" drive retailing for $399 available this quarter. Thats some serious storage.

True. I'm assuming that the Mini will be upgraded to C2D and 802.11n like the rest of the Macs.

AidenShaw
Mar 8, 2007, 08:47 PM
But otherwise... do you really think changing from a 1.83ghz to a 2.16ghz is going to mean the difference between obsolescence and 7 year life? Thats less than 20%. I doubt anyone would ever seriously notice that. If you were talking double the speed, that would be substantial.

A faster clock on a newer 64-bit architecture, you meant to say.

20% faster clock rate - that's 120% (of the original speed).

A Merom (Core 2 Duo) is about 20% faster in 32-bit mode than a Yonah at the same clock, so 120% + 20% = 144% (of the original speed).

Due to the architectural improvements in the 64-bit ISA, many programs run faster in 64-bit mode than in 32-bit mode. One test at BareFeats showed an average of about 20% speedup for a 64-bit program vs. the identical program in 32-bit. So 144% + 20% = 170% (of the original speed).

So, we're looking at an upgrade that's 40% to 70% faster - with the added ability to run 64-bit programs (see various recent threads for people agonizing about whether 32-bit support will be available for new professional apps).

I wouldn't predict 7 years, but I'd feel confident in saying that you're more likely to get a couple of years more life out of an upgrade to a Merom!

Right, but they could support 3.4 GiB or so with the current chipset.

IYou'll be able to get a 300GB hard drive in the Mini.

The 300 GB Fujitsu drive (which by the way hasn't started shipping in quantity) is 12.5mm high - not the usual 9.5mm for laptop drives. Does anyone know if the MiniMac can fit a drive that's 30% taller than the current one?

Can get terabytes externally attached via USB or firewire.
Yes, connected with a rat's nest of cables and power bricks to a bunch of randomly designed external drives. I'm amazed at how messy so many MiniMac installations are....

A mini-tower with a couple of internal 3.5" slots would be so much more elegant.

localoid
Mar 8, 2007, 10:28 PM
Those who view the mini as being 'hopelessly out of date' and 'overpriced' should check out the mini's competition... (http://lib.store.yahoo.net/lib/myaopen/MINIPC945.html?gclid=COXK0OTr5ooCFRn1gAodgk1TmQ) Aopen just 'updated' its miniPC line in Feb of '07, btw... :p

(Apple's mini is still the best deal.)

dmelgar
Mar 8, 2007, 10:53 PM
A faster clock on a newer 64-bit architecture, you meant to say.

20% faster clock rate - that's 120%.

When folks say things like 20% FASTER, that means its 120% of the first speed or 1.2 x the original speed. Saying its 120% FASTER is incorrect. That implies that its 120+100=220% * the original speed.

Assuming its just semantics, 20% faster (or 120% of the original speed) isn't much a difference. 40-70% maybe somewhat better but there were lots of ifs to get there.

Jim Campbell
Mar 9, 2007, 02:28 AM

Agreed. I am - without exception - getting a 'Wow' response from people who see the home entertainment set up. Pop into Front Row, play 'em some tunes (giving them a moment to admire the Harmon Kardon speakers), a couple of TV shows and a DVD. Show 'em the movies you've bluetoothed from your phone, a slideshow of the photos you've bluetoothed.

Then you show 'em the standard TV playback and do the whole pause/ rewind/ timeslip thing. At this point, everyone I've shown it to is asking me how much it cost. I tell them that there was change from £1200 including the LCD TV.

And then I minimize the EyeTV window to the Dock and show 'em the Mini running as a computer. Shopping on the internet from your sofa. Editing your recorded TV content. Creating and burning a proper DVD with iDVD. Maybe let them have a few minutes dropping loops into Garageband, or shuffling stuff around with iMovie.

At this point, they're looking at me like I've travelled back in time from the future. "OK," they ask, "how much extra did you pay for all the software?"

"Oh," I say innocently,"nothing. It ships with this stuff."

Apple should be paying me a commission. If they weren't sold by the home entertainment stuff, I swear, the moment that live TV window genies down into the dock (and keeps playing in miniature) you see a little light go on behind their eyes that says "I gotta get me one of these."

Cheers!

Jim

chillywilly
Mar 9, 2007, 08:40 AM
Would love to see a mini update to at least a Core 2 Duo and a 100gb hard drive (there are 2.5 SATA's out there). My G4 1.42 mini is still going strong, but would always take something faster. Besides the fact that my daughter is wanting me to pass down one of my Macs to replace her older WinXP box.

AidenShaw, your avatar looks just like one of my cats.

AidenShaw
Mar 9, 2007, 08:57 AM
Saying its 120% FASTER is incorrect.
Thanks for noticing that - I corrected it. It was one of those silly mistakes like using "its" when "it's" is correct. ;)

Assuming its just semantics, 20% faster (or 120% of the original speed) isn't much a difference. 40-70% maybe somewhat better but there were lots of ifs to get there.
Better, and the ability run 64-bit applications infinitely faster than a Yonah is good too.

AidenShaw
Mar 9, 2007, 09:00 AM
Then you show 'em the standard TV playback and do the whole pause/ rewind/ timeslip thing.

Apple doesn't have a TV tuner or capture card, right? What you mean by "TV playback" then?

Jim Campbell
Mar 9, 2007, 10:07 AM
Apple doesn't have a TV tuner or capture card, right? What you mean by "TV playback" then?

Sorry ... I'd mentioned the Miglia TVMax in my previous two posts to this thread, but forgot about it here. Apologies for any confusion.

Cheers

Jim

Maccus Aurelius
Mar 9, 2007, 01:49 PM
The 300 GB Fujitsu drive (which by the way hasn't started shipping in quantity) is 12.5mm high - not the usual 9.5mm for laptop drives. Does anyone know if the MiniMac can fit a drive that's 30% taller than the current one?

Yes, connected with a rat's nest of cables and power bricks to a bunch of randomly designed external drives. I'm amazed at how messy so many MiniMac installations are....

A mini-tower with a couple of internal 3.5" slots would be so much more elegant.

I think that people who actually require lots of gigs of storage, more power and and more flexible hardware would probably not consider a mini anyway. Once you start spending money on pricey peripherals to supplement the hardware's limits you may find yourself spending enough money overall to simply buy a more powerful system. If I was looking for power and high capacity storage within a single form, I'd simply buy a powermac or mac pro, despite being substantially pricier. For people that can live with 160GB and 2GB RAM and 1.83GHz maximum very comfortably for a number of years, which is actually quite a few people, the mini is a very good buy, and I'm willing to bet these people will not have a rat's nest of cables, unless you count a printer cable or something like that.

However a good in-between would be great, and I'd probably buy that instead. In my opinion, an inbetween superior to the mini with some of the flexibility of the mac pro would probably supplant the mini altogether, as the larger form factor and possibly desktop only internals would make it cheaper for the performance. Think headless iMac power and say s'long mini.

milo
Mar 9, 2007, 06:00 PM
Those who view the mini as being 'hopelessly out of date' and 'overpriced' should check out the mini's competition... (http://lib.store.yahoo.net/lib/myaopen/MINIPC945.html?gclid=COXK0OTr5ooCFRn1gAodgk1TmQ) Aopen just 'updated' its miniPC line in Feb of '07, btw... :p

(Apple's mini is still the best deal.)

So the mini only has to compete with other small computers? I don't think so. Maybe if it wasn't the only Mac in that price range...since it is, it has to compete with all $599 (and less) pc's.

I think that people who actually require lots of gigs of storage, more power and and more flexible hardware would probably not consider a mini anyway.

With iTunes audio and video, everyone will want lots of gigs of storage. Or at least more than the 60-80 gigs that come standard, and $200-250 to upgrade to 160 gigs. These days, 60 gigs is pretty sad, especially when Apple is shipping iPods that have more capacity than that!

penguy
Mar 9, 2007, 06:49 PM

only the MacBook Pro and higher end iMacs support 3 gig...Macbook and entry iMacs are also at 2.

It would be interesting to know how many of those with Macs that support over 2 gig, actually HAVE over 2 gig?

As for space and 'rat's nest' of cables, I did end up getting external storage in the form of 2 HDs with another 600gb to deal with photo and videos...but it still takes up substantially less space than a MacPro, is virtually silent and even w/ the PPC is pretty fast.

I'm just tired of waiting for the update (though now, even if it comes out, I would wait until I was assured of getting Leopard)! Bring it on!!!

Mgkwho
Mar 10, 2007, 06:31 PM
Regardless of the purpose of the mini, it is still a computer in their product line. It will get updated almost if not as frequently as the rest of the computer line. The mini has taken the longest for updates, with the exception of the MacPro. But people say NAB if not WWDC for MacPro updates.

-=|Mgkwho

dmelgar
Mar 11, 2007, 09:33 AM
only the MacBook Pro and higher end iMacs support 3 gig...Macbook and entry iMacs are also at 2.

From what I have read, all C2D Apples support 3gig. The original Macbook only supports 2gig, but the C2D update supports 3gig.

Much Ado
Mar 11, 2007, 10:00 AM
Mac Mini C2D update- April 1, along with Leopard. "Entire Mac range now 64-bit."

Huzzah.

MA.

twoodcc
Mar 11, 2007, 11:40 AM
i really hope something is updated soon......like maybe this tuesday?

iDave
Mar 11, 2007, 11:50 AM
Mac Mini C2D update- April 1, along with Leopard. "Entire Mac range now 64-bit."

Huzzah.

MA.
April 1 is a Sunday. If you're going to make a prediction, make it realistic. :D

Telp
Mar 11, 2007, 12:00 PM
How about April 3rd. Thats a tuesday.

Much Ado
Mar 11, 2007, 12:07 PM
April 1 is a Sunday. If you're going to make a prediction, make it realistic. :D

But it can't be Tuesday, because that's when the G5 Powerbooks are announced.

No, Sunday is exactly what we're not expecting them to do, and so it's exactly what they shall do. Maybe they'll just miss out Leopard altogether, and bring out 10.6...

MA.

penguy
Mar 13, 2007, 08:02 PM
From what I have read, all C2D Apples support 3gig. The original Macbook only supports 2gig, but the C2D update supports 3gig.

well, not according to the Apple site...as I stated in my previous post, Macbook and entry iMacs top out at 2 gig, along with the Mini, of course

dmelgar
Mar 13, 2007, 09:09 PM
well, not according to the Apple site...as I stated in my previous post, Macbook and entry iMacs top out at 2 gig, along with the Mini, of course
You're right. I must have been looking at Macbook Pro which upped from 2GB to 3GB when moving to C2D. I had been looking at this website, which clearly states 2GB max, http://www.everymac.com/systems/apple/macbook/faq/macbook-how-to-upgrade-ram.html

music.addict411
Mar 13, 2007, 09:24 PM
It would be great if there was an iPod update, but its unlikely. Even better is a whole new iPod model.

But Steve Jobs is expecting the iPhone to act as the Wide-Screen iPod. He wants us to buy the iPhone as our full screen iPod. Maybe the normal iPod will be discontinued. I also cant amagine a Mac Tablet because of the iPhone, they would be/look to similar.

I think that the Mac Mini will be updated first.

iDave
Mar 13, 2007, 09:33 PM
But Steve Jobs is expecting the iPhone to act as the Wide-Screen iPod. He wants us to buy the iPhone as our full screen iPod. Maybe the normal iPod will be discontinued.
I doubt it. Of 80 million iPod owners who are potential upgraders, how many do you think want to subscribe to two years of phone service just to do it?

I will likely never own an iPhone but plan on buying a number of new iPods in the coming years. I'll buy one every couple of years, I expect, unless they're discontinued. :)

Mgkwho
Mar 13, 2007, 09:52 PM
Apple has enough products in their current line up to release a product almost every week until the middle of June.

Release Dates (13):
March 20, 27; April 3, 10, 17 (NAB), 24; May 1, 8, 15, 22, 29; June 5, 12 (WWDC)

Products (12):
Mac Mini, Mac Pro, Cinema Display, MacBook, MacBook Pro, iMac, iPods (as one), iPhone, Leopard + iSoftware, Professional apps (as one), still AppleTV in a manner of speaking, and possibly xServe at WWDC? (haven't heard anything)

Not to mention something unexpected up their sleeves, and popular accessories like iPod Hi-Fi, MightyMouse and Airport Express or other applications/.Mac.

Above I just basically listed their main product line, obviously. When I say (as one) I am just grouping them together, not saying that more than one will be released, or that all will not be released, just that at least one will be.

Also, yes, I'm sure at least two will be grouped together. And it's likely that there could be a special event with a future ship date, making 13 "Apple things."

I would hope Apple would release a product every week for the next few months :). It would certainly make up for the 4.5 months we've gone without something, besides colored shuffles and the airport extreme. Though I don't know what they'd do for the few months after June :D.

!!!

In other news, when did Apple remove iTunes from the iLife suite? Now iTunes is its own entity.

-=|Mgkwho

Eidorian
Mar 13, 2007, 10:40 PM
Santa Rosa on May 8th? (http://gizmodo.com/gadgets/laptops/intel's-next-gen-mobile-chipset-coming-may-8th,-will-include-hsdpa-242555.php)

I doubt we'll see something until then.

iDave
Mar 13, 2007, 10:49 PM
Santa Rosa on May 8th?[/URL]

Tell us it ain't so. :eek: Because even if the chips are launched May 8, they won't likely be in Macs for weeks or months after that.

I like mgkwho's idea better; new hardware every week for the next few months. :D :eek: :rolleyes:

smythey
Mar 14, 2007, 10:32 AM
Santa Rosa on May 8th? (http://gizmodo.com/gadgets/laptops/intel's-next-gen-mobile-chipset-coming-may-8th,-will-include-hsdpa-242555.php)

I think the laptops will get Santa Rosa first - minis are still using CD, and its doubtful they will put the whole new chipset in the mini at the same time as MB and MBP.

mrgreen made a good point in his POST (http://forums.macrumors.com/showpost.php?p=3436191&postcount=23)in another thread though - how about a mini soon with bits a bobs of Santa Rosa but not all of it?....

sam10685
Mar 15, 2007, 01:22 PM
I don't care about this b*******. I want the new mac pro NOW !!!:mad:

why such anger?...

localoid
Mar 15, 2007, 02:53 PM
mrgreen made a good point in his POST (http://forums.macrumors.com/showpost.php?p=3436191&postcount=23)in another thread though - how about a mini soon with bits a bobs of Santa Rosa but not all of it?....

What he described isn't possible... You can't take a chipset designed for a Intel Socket T (desktop) board and use it on a Socket M (mobile) motherboard. Santa Rosa is largely about the new chipset for mobile CPUs, which will use an even different socket system, Socket P. If you want a Intel (mobile) chipset newer than the 945 you'll have to wait until something is released by Intel.

Computers aren't like a set of Legos -- you can't just mix and match anything you'd like on a motherboard.

sam10685
Mar 16, 2007, 09:45 AM
why does the one i need only have 9 votes? (macbook) i also need a mac mini though.

contractcooker
Mar 19, 2007, 05:01 PM
Those are 2 completely different products in deifferent price ranges, the one has got nothing to do with the other.

Further more i too hope they will update the mini, that would be my media centre choice aswell .

While they are different in price and target audience I think that saying they have nothing to do with each other is foolish. Many people are using the Mini as a "super" :apple: tv. So making comparisons between them is not really that far fetched.

contractcooker
Mar 19, 2007, 05:39 PM
I doubt it. Of 80 million iPod owners who are potential upgraders, how many do you think want to subscribe to two years of phone service just to do it?

I will likely never own an iPhone but plan on buying a number of new iPods in the coming years. I'll buy one every couple of years, I expect, unless they're discontinued. :)

I would expect that as flash memory becomes the new "it" thing for the computer industry that regular ipods would be discontinued in favor of large capacity nanos. I know this may be premature, I wouldn't expect "large enough" nanos for a couple of years but as far as I'm concerned 2007 is the beginning of the end for traditional HDDS. WOO HOO bring on the SSD tech.

elec999
Mar 20, 2007, 02:09 AM
New mac minis, would be nice if they came with esata connectors, so you can easily attach esata hard drive. A nice option to remove the 2.5 inch drive, add a n a small enclosure, and boot off a 3.5 drive, using either a special removable enclosure, or the esata connector.
Thanks

natch
Apr 8, 2007, 10:47 PM
Some of the features being wished for on this forum seem pretty geeky, relative to the perceived needs of the average joe consumer. E-SATA connectors, for example, not to pick on one particular post.

My guess is the most prominent feature area that Apple will want to address asap is the eye candy features of Vista (not that they are any great shakes compared to what Mac has been doing for years). Apple will want to stay clearly ahead in the highly visible, so to speak, area of video features, not only in reality (where it already is ahead) but also in market perception (where it needs to be obviously and clearly way out in front). Since Leopard squarely addresses this space and Vista just came out, I'd expect the priority to be getting Leopard out the door NOW assuming it is ready.

Not sure what this means in terms of hardware. If Leopard requires more video power, I'd assume the Minis will get a video power bump to handle this. Hopefully the same with the Macbook.

Jarcrew
Apr 9, 2007, 04:40 AM
You know what I definitely think we be removed from all computers across the board this year?

The combo drive. And if it's not, then it bloody well should be. Going into 2008 with three units still unable to write DVDs is disgraceful.

Jarcrew
Apr 9, 2007, 04:42 AM
I would expect that as flash memory becomes the new "it" thing for the computer industry that regular ipods would be discontinued in favor of large capacity nanos. I know this may be premature, I wouldn't expect "large enough" nanos for a couple of years but as far as I'm concerned 2007 is the beginning of the end for traditional HDDS. WOO HOO bring on the SSD tech.I'm not sure about that, to be honest - it's crossed my mind, but would they have brought out an 80GB model if they planned on dramatically cutting the drive size in future revisions? Joe Public doesn't know nor care about the differences or benefits of flash, it all works out to how much you can fit on 'em - and having to say "yeah, 20,000 is no longer an option" would perhaps be a bit embarrassing.

ImAlwaysRight
May 19, 2007, 10:57 PM
Awesome. 9 out of 434 votes said MacBook would be updated first. 298 said Mac Mini. MacBook WAS first. At least that confirms not to listen to any of you about updates. :rolleyes:

View Poll Results: Which product do you think Apple will update first?
Mac Mini 298 68.66%
iPod Nano 36 8.29%
iPod HiFi 17 3.92%
MacBook 9 2.07%
MacBook Pro 31 7.14%
iMac 43 9.91%

flopticalcube
May 19, 2007, 11:00 PM
I think the word "update" is stretching it a bit for the MacBooks. Refresh or speed bump is a better description.

localoid
May 20, 2007, 09:05 AM
Awesome. 9 out of 434 votes said MacBook would be updated first. 298 said Mac Mini. MacBook WAS first. At least that confirms not to listen to any of you about updates. :rolleyes:

Many will enter. Few will win. :p