PDA

View Full Version : Apple iPhone to be Released on June 11th?

sportsfanMAW
Mar 29, 2007, 11:47 PM
http://news.com.com/2061-10801_3-6171953.html?part=rss&tag=2547-1_3-0-5&subj=news

Oh man i can't wait!!!!

lanray
Mar 29, 2007, 11:54 PM
Yeah, I just read this a few minutes ago. I probably won't get the first generation (just got a 8525 - it's pretty sweet and plenty for now), but I can't wait to see it/play with it. Nice to have a date to (hopefully) hang our hat on.

twoodcc
Mar 29, 2007, 11:55 PM
thanks for the link :)

Wild-Bill
Mar 30, 2007, 12:18 AM
I certainly hope :apple: doesn't wait to update their entire product line on that date. I have been waiting for a Mac Pro update since December. If they were smart, they would introduce the new lines/updates separately from the iPhone.

MacbookSwitcher
Mar 30, 2007, 12:45 AM
Good link.

I can't wait to get my hands on one. The good thing is, it will be easy for me to play around with one without buying it.

EricNau
Mar 30, 2007, 12:51 AM
Although the date does make sense, their source is a customer service manager at Cingular. Are we to believe that Cingular employees know the release date of an Apple product before the Apple employees?

MacbookSwitcher
Mar 30, 2007, 01:08 AM
Although the date does make sense, their source is a customer service manager at Cingular. Are we to believe that Cingular employees know the release date of an Apple product before the Apple employees?

Good point. I can tell you firsthand that no one knows two months prior to release, what the exact release date of a phone will be, as it can change day-to-day based on issues found during carrier certification.

whooleytoo
Mar 30, 2007, 07:33 AM
Perhaps I'm grasping at straws, but could there be any significance in the fact it's being released at WWDC?

How often do they release products at the developer conference that are closed to 3rd party developers? Was any iPod ever announced there?

netdog
Mar 30, 2007, 07:39 AM
Wonder what our date will be. Wonder who will even be the provider.

psychofreak
Mar 30, 2007, 07:44 AM
Perhaps I'm grasping at straws, but could there be any significance in the fact it's being released at WWDC?

How often do they release products at the developer conference that are closed to 3rd party developers? Was any iPod ever announced there?

Last WWDC came the 5.5G iPod...

StrayRooster
Mar 30, 2007, 07:47 AM
Does Jobs usually speak on the first day of the conference? Or at the end of it?

I'm sure he'd be the one to annouce 'Go out and buy it now'.

MacRumors
Mar 30, 2007, 07:48 AM
http://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com)

CNet's Gadgest Blog (http://news.com.com/2061-10801_3-6171953.html) claims that Cingular has confirmed the release date of the Apple iPhone.

Now Cingular is confirming that the release date will be June 11. A customer service manager at Cingular (we called 800-947-5096 and were transferred to sales) gave us that date late Thursday, but, alas, said he didn't have any additional information beyond that.

While Cingular Customer Service is not likely the best source of inside-Apple information, the date does correspond with the start of Apple's Worldwide Developer's Conference.

Apple has officially stated that the iPhone will be released in "June 2007".

whooleytoo
Mar 30, 2007, 07:49 AM
Last WWDC came the 5.5G iPod...

Thanks.

Ah well, there's that theory out the window.

xfiftyfour
Mar 30, 2007, 07:54 AM
I don't think it's totally inconceivable that a Cingular CS employee would know an exact date. I mean, it's not as though the "Apple secrecy" applies anymore, since they've already announced June. Surely Cingular knows exactly when they'll be able to start selling these things, since there's a lot that Cingular has to do to prepare for its release as well.

I think the date is given even more credential if the CS employee pulled June 11 without being particularly aware of any Apple event.. too much of a coincidence for him to have said June 11 and that just happens to also be the first day of an Apple conference..

mrrory
Mar 30, 2007, 07:55 AM
I want one! Please! It's not too much to ask... I've spent so much money with Apple over the years, this would be a great reward for loyalty...

coumerelli
Mar 30, 2007, 07:56 AM
Oh thank Heaven for 6Eleven!

bah! That just doesn't have the same ring to it.

Seriously, this makes a lot of sense. I think Steve-o would want the largest audience for this event, and he won't have a bigger one until January '08. This is easy.

cannonball
Mar 30, 2007, 07:57 AM
It makes perfect sense to me.

mattscott306
Mar 30, 2007, 07:58 AM
Interesting, but 1. Why would a (low level) cingular rep have access to the release date of an apple product?

2. Why release on a Thursday? Everything else goes out on Tuesdays. (I loves me some Apple Tuesdays)

StrayRooster
Mar 30, 2007, 07:58 AM
2. Why release on a Thursday? Everything else goes out on Tuesdays. (I loves me some Apple Tuesdays)

June 11th is on a Monday. And I'll be the first in line.

mattscott306
Mar 30, 2007, 08:00 AM
June 11th is on a Monday. And I'll be the first in line.

So looking at October 11th on my calandar isn't the same as June 11? (oops)

Still, why release on a monday then?

Mydriasis
Mar 30, 2007, 08:01 AM
Hey thats my birthday. That would be a pretty nice present.

amac4me
Mar 30, 2007, 08:01 AM
I'll wait for the announcement from Apple but my hunch is that the release will happen on June 21, the first day of WWDC 2007

xfiftyfour
Mar 30, 2007, 08:03 AM
We already had a thread goin' about this....

lol

StrayRooster
Mar 30, 2007, 08:04 AM
Still, why release on a monday then?

My guess is because it's the first day of WWDC. I'm betting that Jobs will want to announce the release, but does he speak on the first day of the conference?

But yeah, I too love me some Apple Tuesdays :)

I'll wait for the announcement from Apple but my hunch is that the release will happen on June 21, the first day of WWDC 2007

The first day is the 11th.

Erasmus
Mar 30, 2007, 08:07 AM

Nnnooooo!!!

Bad Bad Bad Bad Bad!

SJ's WWDC2007 keynote shall be based on new iMacs, Macbook Pros, Leopard and iLife '07, not iPods, :apple:TVs, and especially not iPhones. SJ would just stand up there and blab on about how great the iPhone is, and not actually release any new products that we haven't already heard about!

Please, Stevie J, keep your WWDC keynote focussed on my next notebook, not on some cool phone that I won't be able to get my hands on for another year.

PS. I thought it was the 11th, but whatever. I Want My SR MBP!

Jarcrew
Mar 30, 2007, 08:09 AM
Makes sense - iPhone drops, oh, and by the way, all that secret Leopard stuff you n00bs totally gave up on? It's all here, and it's this utterly psycho iPhone integration, and Leopard is shipping today. Boom.

sfwalter
Mar 30, 2007, 08:09 AM
wow! i was expecting june 30th at 11:59pm :D

princealfie
Mar 30, 2007, 08:11 AM
Is this for real?

StrayRooster
Mar 30, 2007, 08:13 AM
Is this for real?

god i hope so..... :p

aricher
Mar 30, 2007, 08:14 AM
Makes sense - iPhone drops, oh, and by the way, all that secret Leopard stuff you n00bs totally gave up on? It's all here, and it's this utterly psycho iPhone integration, and Leopard is shipping today. Boom.

I think you've hit the nail on the head here. iPhone, Leopard and some new hardware announcements all on the same day - one can hope.

brianus
Mar 30, 2007, 08:25 AM
Nnnooooo!!!

Bad Bad Bad Bad Bad!

SJ's WWDC2007 keynote shall be based on new iMacs, Macbook Pros, Leopard and iLife '07, not iPods, :apple:TVs, and especially not iPhones. SJ would just stand up there and blab on about how great the iPhone is, and not actually release any new products that we haven't already heard about!

Please, Stevie J, keep your WWDC keynote focussed on my next notebook, not on some cool phone that I won't be able to get my hands on for another year.

PS. I thought it was the 11th, but whatever. I Want My SR MBP!

WWDC is about developers and Apple technology. True, if they won't even let us write apps for the iPhone and don't "officially" support hacking the Apple TV, they don't seem really appropriate subjects for WWDC. But there's no fundamental reason why WWDC should have to be limited to the Mac and its apps.

Porchland
Mar 30, 2007, 09:05 AM

I would have expected Apple to space things out a little more, but it's been eerily quiet since Macworld two months ago.

Maybe we're going to get one of those wild, roller coaster, everything-but-the-kitchen-sink days at WWDC. iPhone! Bam! Leopard! Thwack! iLife, quad-core, top-to-bottom refreshes!! Boom shaka laka!! HD movies and The Beatles!! Pow!! Widescreen iPod!!

[breathes]

Personally, I'd rather see quiet hardware refreshes and a music/video event in April, a separate Leopard event in May and Steve taking a victory lap at WWDC, but I'm just being impatient. Apple likes a big splash.

I think maybe we'll get a snazzy new, ultra-slim iMac at WWDC that will morph by Macworld '08 into Apple HD.

Jarcrew
Mar 30, 2007, 09:11 AM
Leopard! iPhone! New hardware! Crazy iPhone integration!

BOOM!

"We have three products of this calibur shipping today. Leopard, the iPhone, and brand new Macs. Leopard, the iPhone, brand new Macs. Leopard... iPhone... are you getting it? These are not three separate announcement... this is one announcement!"

And then he wheels out an iMac with a Leopard installation disc and an iPhone cellotaped to the front. Shipping today.

lipinski
Mar 30, 2007, 09:27 AM
Hmmm I wonder what I would like gift wrapped for me.... Ah who cares about the wrapping ... just give me the phone. :D

psychofreak
Mar 30, 2007, 09:28 AM
Leopard! iPhone! New hardware! Crazy iPhone integration!

BOOM!

"We have three products of this calibur shipping today. Leopard, the iPhone, and brand new Macs. Leopard, the iPhone, brand new Macs. Leopard... iPhone... are you getting it? These are not three separate announcement... this is one announcement!"

And then he wheels out an iMac with a Leopard installation disc and an iPhone cellotaped to the front. Shipping today. No vPod in your vision?

ready2switch
Mar 30, 2007, 09:35 AM
WWDC is about developers and Apple technology. True, if they won't even let us write apps for the iPhone and don't "officially" support hacking the Apple TV, they don't seem really appropriate subjects for WWDC. But there's no fundamental reason why WWDC should have to be limited to the Mac and its apps.
Just like you'd expect MacWorld to be about Macs. That's just crazy talk! :p

Mgkwho
Mar 30, 2007, 09:40 AM
Don't most contracts go by the start of the month? This wouldn't be fun for switchers...not only to AT&T but within its own plans/phones.

-=|Mgkwho

ChrisA
Mar 30, 2007, 09:44 AM
I'll bet any new Mac will require Leopard. So they are holding the Macs until Leopard. Leopard will be released on June 11 at the conference.

johnee
Mar 30, 2007, 09:53 AM
honestly, i don't care about their phone, just their computers.

johnee
Mar 30, 2007, 09:54 AM
I'll bet any new Mac will require Leopard. So they are holding the Macs until Leopard. Leopard will be released on June 11 at the conference.

Yes, that's a very good point. wait, i mis-read that.

are you meaning the phone will require you to have leopard for your mac to link/connect to the phone?

mautal
Mar 30, 2007, 09:55 AM
june 11th huh?? kinda reminds me of how the :apple: TV was coming out in February but shipped in march... i for one cannot wait for the iphone and wish i had not heard about it (so i would not be sitting waiting and reading these forums 50 times a day). But if waiting for the C2D macbooks have taught me anything... come june, all we wil hear is "NEXT TUESDAY":mad: :p :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :p :(

alec
Mar 30, 2007, 09:59 AM
Another event where we think we'll get 10 product updates, and we're going to get one.

Segmac
Mar 30, 2007, 09:59 AM
Maybe we're going to get one of those wild, roller coaster, everything-but-the-kitchen-sink days at WWDC. iPhone! Bam! Leopard! Thwack! iLife, quad-core, top-to-bottom refreshes!! Boom shaka laka!! HD movies and The Beatles!! Pow!! Widescreen iPod!!

Actually I was on the phone with Apple's tech this week and each time I was put on hold the music was the Beatles.

maczter
Mar 30, 2007, 10:15 AM

...and an update for XCode that lets you build apps for the iPhone and submit them to Apple for approval and distribution through the iTunes Store.

maczter
Mar 30, 2007, 10:23 AM
...and since I haven't seen anyone else answer the question yet, Steve usually does his thang on the second day of WWDC, IIRC.

Makes perfect sense to me to release it on the first day of the event along with the aforememntioned prediction of an update to XCode. There's a Cingular ("The New AT&T") store within a couple of blocks of the Moscone Convention Center.

Announce iPhone. Don't block the doorways. Profit. :)

yzp
Mar 30, 2007, 10:24 AM
any idea of the canadian carrier?

probably fido or rogers but.......:apple: :apple: :apple: :apple: :apple: :apple:

johnee
Mar 30, 2007, 10:25 AM
Actually I was on the phone with Apple's tech this week and each time I was put on hold the music was the Beatles.

brilliant! apple is like the davinci code for nerds :rolleyes:

serpico
Mar 30, 2007, 10:26 AM
That's nice. How about a rumor detail of a new iPod, uh? Or do we need to wait after June to get a new iPod? Come on, now.

serpico
Mar 30, 2007, 10:27 AM
any idea of the canadian carrier?

probably fido or rogers but.......:apple: :apple: :apple: :apple: :apple: :apple:
It's going to be Rogers, not Fido.

ChrisA
Mar 30, 2007, 10:30 AM
SJ's WWDC2007 keynote shall be based on new iMacs, Macbook Pros, Leopard and iLife '07, not iPods, :apple:TVs, and especially not iPhones.

This is a developer's conference. He may take the opportunity to talk about new products but he is primarily addressing developers. That said, he could very well spend time talking about the iPhone. He could introduce a developer's kit for the iPhone along with an Apple certification process for iPhone Apps. He could talk about a game development kit for the iPod. and the same goes for thr Apple TV. He could offet a way for third party aps to be put on the ATV, iPod and iPhone. He certainly will talk about how Apple used new features of Leopard to built those new "super secret features" and how developers could also do some thing like that. I hope he introduces some new hardware.

I'm still waiting for something to replace the G4 towers. Back in 2001 Apple sold powerful upgradeable computers for $1,500. Why can't they do this today? If they don't sell one by end of June I'm putting Mac OS X on generic PC hardware.

serpico
Mar 30, 2007, 10:35 AM
There better be something great on the computer front this year. I need to upgrade my business/personal computers and want to get a new mac. Dual boot when I need to only. I suppose it's too early to say, but this iphone news is driving me nuts. I miss reading about any rumors on the other products lately.

Clive At Five
Mar 30, 2007, 10:39 AM

I'm'a have to disagree. I think Apple would want to release new computers a month or two before a new OS... so that people will buy the OS seperately and, hence, Apple will make more money.

Or maybe I'm just wearing smog-tinted glasses.

-Clive

roland.g
Mar 30, 2007, 10:48 AM
The source on this screams Page 2 material.

Clive At Five
Mar 30, 2007, 11:00 AM
I'm still waiting for something to replace the G4 towers. Back in 2001 Apple sold powerful upgradeable computers for $1,500. Why can't they do this today? If they don't sell one by end of June I'm putting Mac OS X on generic PC hardware.

I agree that this is a GAPING hole in the product lineup, but as you said, it's been there ever since the G5 and growing steadily. Maybe this has been Apple's intent and now the time is right the introduce the long-awaited "Mac Prosumer" (or as I like to call it, "Mac Plus" ;)).

Oh and by the way, I've "heard from a friend" that installing Mac OS X on PC hardware is a lot more work that it is worth and that drivers are near impossible to find. You have to be very meticulous about what hardware you buy, especially concerning WiFi and Audio. No doubt the knowledge base has grown since "my friend" tried it, but it's still a hassle. Plus it violates the EULA for OS X. ;)

Builder Beware! :D

-Clive

bretm
Mar 30, 2007, 11:14 AM
wow! i was expecting june 30th at 11:59pm :D

9 days after the end of spring? Odd choice.

Clive At Five
Mar 30, 2007, 11:21 AM

No, I think you're thinking of Leopard... Leopard ships in "Spring" while the iPhone ships in "June," hence the June 30th at 11:59 PM.

He forgot to mention it would be Pacific Time. :p

-Clive

FJ218700
Mar 30, 2007, 11:23 AM

only leopard was promised in spring, right? iPhone was always June, so the 30th is feasible.

still, yes, the separation would be odd.

edit: too late

bretm
Mar 30, 2007, 11:23 AM

It'll require whatever is out at the time most likely, and it will come with that software. If they come out before Leopard, they may actually ship with Leopard if it's been announced. They've done this in the past. Get a new computer and get the os before it ships. The extra time for it to actually ship is usually dependent on marketing, packaging, displays, printing discs, etc. All of which isn't relevant with the oem versions.

SeaFox
Mar 30, 2007, 11:24 AM
Does Jobs usually speak on the first day of the conference? Or at the end of it?
Apple keynotes tend to be on the second day of conferences/expos.

slffl
Mar 30, 2007, 11:24 AM
Well we basically have a 25% chance of guessing the release of the iPhone these days.

Maccus Aurelius
Mar 30, 2007, 11:31 AM
Then later today, the iPhone is released to the public for sale without warning to developers or consumers, and the collective shock of the public makes the Earth implode under the pressure.

bretm
Mar 30, 2007, 11:35 AM
I agree that this is a GAPING hole in the product lineup, but as you said, it's been there ever since the G5 and growing steadily. Maybe this has been Apple's intent and now the time is right the introduce the long-awaited "Mac Prosumer" (or as I like to call it, "Mac Plus" ;)).

Oh and by the way, I've "heard from a friend" that installing Mac OS X on PC hardware is a lot more work that it is worth and that drivers are near impossible to find. You have to be very meticulous about what hardware you buy, especially concerning WiFi and Audio. No doubt the knowledge base has grown since "my friend" tried it, but it's still a hassle. Plus it violates the EULA for OS X. ;)

Builder Beware! :D

-Clive

In 2001 the cheapest G4 was 1599. Currently I can buy a 4 core system for 2129.

In 2001 they did offer duals. The duals were around $2499 at the low end. Since the duals are in line with the quads now (since we only have duals and quads) I'd say prices have actually dropped.

Look at laptops. You can get a macbook for 1100. What did a laptop cost in 2001? iBook - $1299.

And in 2000? iBook - $1499.

Today a iMac is... $999

In 2001? iMac - $1199.

Let's figure in 6 years of inflation and prices for computers are remarkably lower for infinitely more power. Let's also not forget that all those G4s back in the day were also ridiculously slower than their cheaper priced intel machines. Making the new systems and prices even that much more impressive.

I'm not sure there's currently that much of a gap. A tricked out iMac costs about the same or more than a low end mac pro. Essentially a headless iMac would fit in pretty good. The mini of course is not a headless imac. I guess a $999 MacProJr. or something. Smaller, 2 internal drives, 1 cd rom spot, core2duo (just one), and 4 gig of RAM max.

psychofreak
Mar 30, 2007, 11:35 AM
Well we basically have a 25% chance of guessing the release of the iPhone these days.

Why? Steve could announce the release date on the 11th and have it be ~24th for example...

Clive At Five
Mar 30, 2007, 11:36 AM
Then later today, the iPhone is released to the public for sale without warning to developers or consumers, and the collective shock of the public makes the Earth implode under the pressure.

Isn't that how Nukes work? A tiny "implosion" which in turn causes a massive explosion? So are you saying that an early iPhone release will case the Earth to "go nova?" Billions and billions of kilotons?

That's my physicist's point of view... Everybody hoping for an early release, be careful what you wish for! ;) :p

-Clive

redAPPLE
Mar 30, 2007, 11:40 AM

no. the apple employees are just scared to say anything regarding the iPhone.

Multimedia
Mar 30, 2007, 11:56 AM
With the iPhone premiering June 11, That SteveNote is gonna be one hell of a jam packed set of new products in one two hour super session. :eek:

Maybe this portends we'll get most of the new line introduced in May. maybe even Kentsfield iMacs or better still, a new Kentsfield consumer-tower line of just plain Macs. :eek:

Jarcrew
Mar 30, 2007, 12:04 PM
I'd put good money on Apple keeping well away from consumer towers for the time being. Jobs has insisted, over and over again, that consumer machines should be all-in-ones - and while the Mac Mini was a surprise in that respect, that's aimed more at people who already have a bunch of PC stuff and can just throw out their PC tower in favour of a Mac Mini. What would a consumer tower be? A throwback to the G4 cube? A scaled-down Mac Pro? Doubt it.

I'm not going to say "never", but for the time being the headless iMac is probably not on Apple's roadmap, nor will it be for quite some time.

Clive At Five
Mar 30, 2007, 12:14 PM
I'd put good money on Apple keeping well away from consumer towers for the time being. Jobs has insisted, over and over again, that consumer machines should be all-in-ones...

Ideally a "Mid-Range Tower" would be aimed at the "Prosumer" market, of which there are many. Before the huge switching campaign, there were three types of Mac markets: Education, Pro-market, and Prosumer-market. There were very few average consumers before the iMac. Since, say the G3 (maybe some G4s), Apple hasn't offered a decent prosumer-capable computer that wasn't a pro.

I need more than an iMac but I don't want/need a Pro. Enter "Mac Plus." Clive's day is made.

-Clive

psychofreak
Mar 30, 2007, 12:25 PM
With the iPhone premiering June 11, That SteveNote is gonna be one hell of a jam packed set of new products in one two hour super session. :eek:

Maybe this portends we'll get most of the new line introduced in May. maybe even Kentsfield iMacs or better still, a new Kentsfield consumer-tower line of just plain Macs. :eek:

It seems like there could also be a lot of complaints if nothing big is announce pre-WWDC or at WWDC:

If there is no iPod update then we will have been stuck with the same one (pretty much) for ages.

Although Final Cut and 8-core MPs could come at NAB, if they aren't announced by the Stevenote a lot of people will be upset.

The Mac mini is STILL Core duo

Leopard is taking ages

The iPhone will hopefully have some unannounced features

People with complain without UK movies on the iTS and possibly HD movies (apparently iTS video looks rubbish on appleTV)

iLife and iWork 07 aren't here yet

A lot of people hope that apple are doing more with touch, possibly Jeff Han-esque

And a lot more to boot...Steve will have to speak really quickly, miss a lot of new stuff out (like he did with the new router), or get a lot of people angry about unannounced things...

yzp
Mar 30, 2007, 12:30 PM

Sick

slffl
Mar 30, 2007, 12:46 PM
Why? Steve could announce the release date on the 11th and have it be ~24th for example...

Well because most of the time these things are released on Tuesdays, and there are 4 tuesdays in June.

slffl
Mar 30, 2007, 12:48 PM
And for all of the off-topic people, I think a 'Mid-Range' tower is a terrible idea.

MrConspiracy
Mar 30, 2007, 12:55 PM
brilliant! apple is like the davinci code for nerds :rolleyes:

You may be onto something there - release date of 6/11, and one dials 6-1-1 from their Cingular mobile phone for customer service?

Hmmm..... :confused:

(I once baked a meatloaf in the shape of Stonehenge. When I took it out of the oven my hand was badly burned..........)

Jarcrew
Mar 30, 2007, 01:02 PM
Ideally a "Mid-Range Tower" would be aimed at the "Prosumer" market, of which there are many. Before the huge switching campaign, there were three types of Mac markets: Education, Pro-market, and Prosumer-market. There were very few average consumers before the iMac. Since, say the G3 (maybe some G4s), Apple hasn't offered a decent prosumer-capable computer that wasn't a pro.

I need more than an iMac but I don't want/need a Pro. Enter "Mac Plus." Clive's day is made.

-CliveIsn't the 24" iMac enough? Or the scaled-down Mac Pro? The prices are so close these days.

Chrismcfall
Mar 30, 2007, 01:20 PM

Really? Cool. Last time I was on hold all I got was the same over and over loop of some new age crap.

Clive At Five
Mar 30, 2007, 01:22 PM
Isn't the 24" iMac enough? Or the scaled-down Mac Pro? The prices are so close these days.

The 24" iMac is *decent*, spec.-wise but will I be able to upgrade it with more RAM, a second HDD and a more powerful GPU? No.

That, and I don't need/want another monitor.

And about prices being close: That doesn't mean the performance is close. The downgraded Mac pro will still easily outrun the 24" iMac.

-Clive

AidenShaw
Mar 30, 2007, 01:25 PM
The Mac Pro is enormous - many people would like a smaller, less energy hungry box.

Clive At Five
Mar 30, 2007, 01:25 PM
Really? Cool. Last time I was on hold all I got was the same over and over loop of some new age crap.

Steve must have eclectic tastes...

*wonders* What's on Steve's iPod...?

-Clive

CoreWeb
Mar 30, 2007, 01:56 PM

*wonders* What's on Steve's iPod...?

-Clive

Doesn't he have, like, the entire iTunes library? :D

At least, it seems like that's what's there whenever he makes keynotes...

Clive At Five
Mar 30, 2007, 02:07 PM

At least, it seems like that's what's there whenever he makes keynotes...

Even if I could, I wouldn't want all that crap... Think of sifting through pages of teeny-bopper Britney Spears and whatever else.

yuck.

-Clive

princealfie
Mar 30, 2007, 02:09 PM
Yeah, I would love to see a Mac Pro Mini. :cool:

psychofreak
Mar 30, 2007, 02:09 PM
That it? He has The Beatles and others too...I'm sure...

wraith77
Mar 30, 2007, 02:27 PM
I work at a company that works directly with Cingular a lot, and I can honestly say that a device NEVER launches on the date set by Cingular. Dates always slip due to technical issues because there's so many 3rd parties that Cingular depends on that have to work on/with the phone. So, I wouldn't count on the iPhone to be available on that date.

CoreWeb
Mar 30, 2007, 02:33 PM
That it? He has The Beatles and others too...I'm sure...

Ah. He has all the music in the world.

"There's downsides, though," Jobs revealed in an interview.
"Oh?" asked the reviewer.
"Yes," replied Steve, "With so many songs stored on the top-secret multi-terabyte drive, navigation through them is almost impossible."

But it was not all grim:
"We have therefore been looking into (at least for my top-secret iPhone deuluxe) new methods of navigation. We've tried 3D, you know. We've got a Top Secret one, might be revealed in upcoming products... They've made me say "boom" a lot."

Maccus Aurelius
Mar 30, 2007, 02:35 PM
Isn't the 24" iMac enough? Or the scaled-down Mac Pro? The prices are so close these days.

The problem with the iMac is that you can't swap displays at your leisure, which is the main reason why I won't be getting one. If I bought a desktop, I'd like to be able to pick and choose different displays and upgrade if better (compatible) versions came along. Beyond laptops, I'd rather not be obligated to any particular size. And, for a desktop, I'd rather not have the fate of the display tying itself to the rest of the system. Sending in an entire desktop computer because of the display is just dreadful.

Plus, as mentioned before, the iMac's form factor is pretty confining when it comes to upgrading. Just looking at it makes me dread having to open it up to replace parts. HDD's should always always be easily accessible in a desktop, and I find it odd that my macbook's HDD is easier to get to.

spicyapple
Mar 30, 2007, 02:47 PM
He likes Bob Dylan, Joan Baez, John Mayer, Beatles...etc

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=52067

Clive At Five
Mar 30, 2007, 02:57 PM
Plus, as mentioned before, the iMac's form factor is pretty confining when it comes to upgrading. Just looking at it makes me dread having to open it up to replace parts. HDD's should always always be easily accessible in a desktop, and I find it odd that my macbook's HDD is easier to get to.

That last statement is a surprising truth. None of the iMacs have been all that easy to get into and tinker with - (I actually think my 800MHz G4 swivel-neck iMac wins that, surprisingly). But unlike previous iMacs, the Intel iMac uses laptop-grade parts. Its predecessors used the same G3s, G4s, and G5s that its PowerMac sibling did, albeit at lower clock speeds, but it was still the same chip! Until the Intel iMacs, the power gap between iMac and PowerMac/Mac Pro was manageably small. Now it's pretty insane.

I'm still running on that G4 iMac and I want to upgrade. I pretty frequently run Garage Band (very slowly, I might add), Logic 5.5 (the last of the eMagic versions), and some sort of video software simultaneously, as well as leaving iTunes, Safari and AIM active in the background at all times. Since I don't do a *ton* of photoshop or Final Cut, I don't need a Mac Pro.

I know where my necessities lie! I need a machine that is more powerful than the Merom iMac but not as powerful as a Mac Pro. Don't tell me what I need! I need a computer that I can use and upgrade as I need to so that it keeps running the software I want for the next 6 years. I don't buy a new computer every 6 months like some people here. I buy things that will last me a long time. An iMac made of laptop-grade parts is just not going to cut it.

-Clive

EagerDragon
Mar 30, 2007, 03:03 PM

Given that it is a developer conference .... They could also be talking about the development set of libraries for the iPhone, the changes to the development tools, and the certification program and distribution of the 3rd party applications and games via iTunes.

beatzfreak
Mar 30, 2007, 03:05 PM

He was spotted at a Journey / Def Leppard concert last summer.

Clive At Five
Mar 30, 2007, 03:12 PM
He likes Bob Dylan, Joan Baez, John Mayer, Beatles...etc

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=52067

Interesting... Eclectic indeed... not to mention highly speculatory. I mean everyone knows he's psycho for the Beatles, and Dylan I can understand. I wonder if his MWSF iPhone demo would reveal more about his tastes...

Coldplay? Wasn't there some Chili Peppers on there too?

-Clive

Clive At Five
Mar 30, 2007, 03:16 PM
He was spotted at a Journey / Def Leppard concert last summer.

Don't Stop Believeing we won't hear any more news like this! That is what Heaven Is.

*cough*

-Clive

iMikeT
Mar 30, 2007, 03:32 PM
If this is true, I wonder if that Cingular employee is still working for Cingular.:rolleyes:

liv4Mac
Mar 30, 2007, 03:32 PM
Hey, did'nt Steve say the iPhone will be running under OS X Leopard?
I would think Leopard would be released before iPhone is released.
It would be strange for the iPhone to be the first hardware to run Leopard.

Clive At Five
Mar 30, 2007, 04:36 PM
Hey, did'nt Steve say the iPhone will be running under OS X Leopard?
I would think Leopard would be released before iPhone is released.
It would be strange for the iPhone to be the first hardware to run Leopard.

I don't think so... It's a stripped down version. Most likely than not, a current version of, say, Jaguar would still be more powerful than Leopard Lite. The only enhancements I could see are multi-touch and core animation (for Cover Flow [and others]).

-Clive

neutrino23
Mar 30, 2007, 04:54 PM
At MWSF Steve dismissed the Macs pretty quick to give full attention to the iPhone. If Leopard is released in June it will have been over two years since the release of Tiger (4/29/05 6PM). I would think that Apple would want to have a time period with attention fully focused on Leopard without the distraction of an iPhone release. I don't know how they'll do it but I think they'll try to separate the two by at least a couple of weeks.

The last three releases of OS X have been on a Friday evening.

10.2 Jaguar Friday 8/23/02
10.3 Panther Friday 10/24/03
10.4 Tiger Friday 4/29/05
10.5 Leopard Friday ?

Just as a guess I'd pick May 18, May 25 or June 1 as target release dates for Leopard. This gives Leopard its own chance to shine before the release of the iPhone. I guess they'll have the usual hoopla. Shut the stores down for a while then reopen for the OS X release. In 2002 I started standing in line at about 11:15PM at the Palo Alto store and didn't get into the store till after midnight. We left at 2:00AM and the party was still going.

Di9it8
Mar 30, 2007, 05:47 PM
If this is true, I wonder if that Cingular employee is still working for Cingular.:rolleyes:
Is Cingular going to be Apple's supplier!!!:D

EricNau
Mar 30, 2007, 06:36 PM
I don't think it's totally inconceivable that a Cingular CS employee would know an exact date. I mean, it's not as though the "Apple secrecy" applies anymore, since they've already announced June. Surely Cingular knows exactly when they'll be able to start selling these things, since there's a lot that Cingular has to do to prepare for its release as well.

I think the date is given even more credential if the CS employee pulled June 11 without being particularly aware of any Apple event.. too much of a coincidence for him to have said June 11 and that just happens to also be the first day of an Apple conference..
I still don't believe it. The customer service department would be the absolute last to know the release date of the iPhone. If this were a Cingular retail manager, then maybe, but I'd still take it with a grain of salt.

...And keep in mind, this is Apple we're dealing with. They wouldn't even show the CEO of Cingular an operational iPhone before it was released at MacWorld. So, I doubt they're going to tell a customer service agent the release date before an official pubic announcement.

Number41
Mar 30, 2007, 07:04 PM
Wow...
A thank-you from MacRumors would've been nice.
I provided them with the info plus all the links

...sigh.

mi5moav
Mar 30, 2007, 11:44 PM
I say bull. I just found this site that predicted this 2 days before CNETs and I think it's pure bull.

http://iphoneblogger.blogspot.com/2007/03/iphone-to-be-release-june-11-2007.html

This is less credible then thinksecret or Ogrady

SiliconAddict
Mar 30, 2007, 11:59 PM
Anyone else want to have this thing release ASAP? If for no other reason then people will, hopefully, shut up about it. I'm not trying to get all bitchy. Just that everyone and their mother, and their mother's sister keeps going on about the iPhone as if it’s been touched by the hand of God himself. We've all heard about the pros and cons about this device, and while nice its not the ground shaking device like the iPod was. The iPod caused a tremor in the force because the industry was sitting on their collective fat butts. The same can’t be said of the phone industry. The nanosecond, and even prior, to Apple announcing the iPhone the manufacturers started working on competing devices. Devices that I think will fit the bill very well for those who:

1. Aren’t interested in a limited capacity iPod phone.
2. Are looking for a phone that isn’t at or over half a grand.
3. Aren’t interested in changing carriers for a phone.
4. Looking for a manufacturer who, well has actual experience designing phones. (granted I’m betting Cingular put this phone through its paces before signing a long term agreement with Apple.)

I don’t know. I just wish the hype would die down to a more reasonable level.

Am I still interested in the thing? Sure. Interested in terms of the hardware and how it will handle the real world. (Cingular is simply a deal killer for me beyond any other "issues".) I USE my phone. HARD. It gets thrown on the seat, thrown in my tool bag, thrown in my jacket pocket which gets thrown on the floor in a corner. Sometimes sat on. It rolls off the dash on my car onto the floor. slides off the passanger seat under the seat. It sometimes gets dropped. It sometimes gets misted on out in the rain. Simply put I need something that is more then a show piece. I seriously question how durable this thing will be. So far I'm enjoying the WM device my company purchased for me. It doesn't have a touchscreen however I've found that a thick screen protector is all I need for it. Its a pretty durable device overall that has handled no case and just being thrown in my jacket pocket naked just fine. I will be interested in seeing how the iPhone handles real world use.

Wow...
A thank-you from MacRumors would've been nice.
I provided them with the info plus all the links

...sigh.

Grow up. This is behavior I would expect out of a child throwing a temper tantrum.

Peace
Mar 31, 2007, 12:11 AM
Am I still interested in the thing? Sure. Interested in terms of the hardware and how it will handle the real world. (Cingular is simply a deal killer for me beyond any other "issues".) I USE my phone. HARD. It gets thrown on the seat, thrown in my tool bag, thrown in my jacket pocket which gets thrown on the floor in a corner. Sometimes sat on. It rolls off the dash on my car onto the floor. slides off the passanger seat under the seat. It sometimes gets dropped. It sometimes gets misted on out in the rain. Simply put I need something that is more then a show piece. I seriously question how durable this thing will be. So far I'm enjoying the WM device my company purchased for me. It doesn't have a touchscreen however I've found that a thick screen protector is all I need for it. Its a pretty durable device overall that has handled no case and just being thrown in my jacket pocket naked just fine. I will be interested in seeing how the iPhone handles real world use.

I'm quit sure anyone paying $600 for an iPhone will treat it with kit gloves.

And mano , mano Multimedia.You need to take better care of your current one! ;)

Number41
Mar 31, 2007, 01:57 AM
Anyone else want to have this thing release ASAP? If for no other reason then people will, hopefully, shut up about it. I'm not trying to get all bitchy. Just that everyone and their mother, and their mother's sister keeps going on about the iPhone as if itís been touched by the hand of God himself. We've all heard about the pros and cons about this device, and while nice its not the ground shaking device like the iPod was. The iPod caused a tremor in the force because the industry was sitting on their collective fat butts. The same canít be said of the phone industry. The nanosecond, and even prior, to Apple announcing the iPhone the manufacturers started working on competing devices. Devices that I think will fit the bill very well for those who:

1. Arenít interested in a limited capacity iPod phone.
2. Are looking for a phone that isnít at or over half a grand.
3. Arenít interested in changing carriers for a phone.
4. Looking for a manufacturer who, well has actual experience designing phones. (granted Iím betting Cingular put this phone through its paces before signing a long term agreement with Apple.)

I donít know. I just wish the hype would die down to a more reasonable level.

Grow up. This is behavior I would expect out of a child throwing a temper tantrum.

Get laid kid.
Recognition feels good...bitching about something that has not been released= get out and get some fresh air. Spending too much time inside staring at your screen.
And no one cares about your opinion.
Let it just be released and end the convo.
Whether you like it or not is of no concern to any of us.

matticus008
Mar 31, 2007, 05:28 AM
are you meaning the phone will require you to have leopard for your mac to link/connect to the phone?
No, of course it won't. It has Bluetooth and will sync with anything with full profile support.
This is a developer's conference. He may take the opportunity to talk about new products but he is primarily addressing developers. That said, he could very well spend time talking about the iPhone.
WWDC's keynote is a far bigger stage than the rest of the conference and is nothing more than a cursory overview for the developers in attendance. All the real meat occurs at the other sessions. The keynote isn't really for the developers--it's a media event (THE media event of the mid-year for Apple).
If they don't sell one by end of June I'm putting Mac OS X on generic PC hardware.
"If they don't start selling the 5 series for under 40k I'm just going to steal one." There, fixed it for you. You don't get to redefine the rules because someone won't sell you what you want on your terms. Where the sense of entitlement comes from is completely beyond me. OS X belongs to Apple. They reserve the right to sell it however they wish. If you don't like it, shop elsewhere, but don't think you're entitled to take something that does not belong to you.
But unlike previous iMacs, the Intel iMac uses laptop-grade parts. Its predecessors used the same G3s, G4s, and G5s that its PowerMac sibling did, albeit at lower clock speeds, but it was still the same chip! Until the Intel iMacs, the power gap between iMac and PowerMac/Mac Pro was manageably small. Now it's pretty insane.
Stop spreading the "laptop-grade parts" performance split myth. It doesn't exist. Mac Pros outperform considerably because they come with Xeons. The iMacs perform on par with any other desktop system based around a Core 2 Duo CPU of the same clock speed and the same GPU. Either back up your assertions with sources or can the nonsense.
I buy things that will last me a long time. An iMac made of laptop-grade parts is just not going to cut it.
"Laptop" parts are going to last just as long as any other parts.

AidenShaw
Mar 31, 2007, 10:21 AM
"If they don't start selling the 5 series for under 40k I'm just going to steal one." There, fixed it for you. You don't get to redefine the rules because someone won't sell you what you want on your terms. Where the sense of entitlement comes from is completely beyond me. OS X belongs to Apple. They reserve the right to sell it however they wish. If you don't like it, shop elsewhere, but don't think you're entitled to take something that does not belong to you.

If one buys a boxed OSX kit, then installs it on a PC - how does that equate to theft?

It's a violation of the license text from Apple (which may or may not actually be enforceable), but stealing?

Jarcrew
Mar 31, 2007, 11:00 AM
Outside of support for products we've already bought, Apple doesn't owe any of us a god damn thing. They could pull the whole Mac line and just sell iPods and phones, and they'd be well within their rights to do so.

Having a tantrum (because Apple doesn't see any profit in mass-manufacturing a product that very specifically meets your precise needs) is absolutely pointless - the "headless iMac" has been done before; it was called the G4 Cube and it was a total and utter failure. Oh, and you're violating the license agreement laid out by Apple if you slap it onto some generic PC box.

macaddict29
Mar 31, 2007, 11:20 AM
read this...posted wednesday on the blog site.....

http://iphoneblogger.blogspot.com/2007/03/iphone-to-be-release-june-11-2007.html

matticus008
Mar 31, 2007, 02:53 PM
If one buys a boxed OSX kit, then installs it on a PC - how does that equate to theft?

It's a violation of the license text from Apple (which may or may not actually be enforceable), but stealing?
If you're looking to rent a studio, but the landlord is looking to rent to artists only, and draws that up in the lease, is it wrong to lie to the landlord and claim to be an artist to get that awesome location and great price?

Of course it is. Taking something that you are not entitled to is stealing, even if you give them money for it. Just as surely as if I left $45,000 in your driveway and took your car without permission, making an agreement and then breaking it is a fraudulent breach perpetrated with the intent to steal. Note that 'theft' is not the same as stealing.

As for "may or may not be", there is no question at present. The license is valid and enforceable in its entirety. It has not been shown otherwise in any court. There is absolutely no support for the argument that EULAs are categorically unenforceable, and likewise no Apple challenges.

ortuno2k
Mar 31, 2007, 11:15 PM
Yeah,

I'd really hate for everyone's attention to go to the stupid iPhone and away from new Macs, iPods and most importantly, Leopard & iWork '07 & iLife '07.
IF, Leopard is released at the same time as the iPhone, then wouldn't one's release somehow shadow the other one?
And for those saying that Leopard & the rest of the software is coming on April - I don't think so.
I really don't care about the iPhone. Just give me Leopard and the updated software.

ortuno2k
Mar 31, 2007, 11:21 PM
Get laid kid.
Recognition feels good...bitching about something that has not been released= get out and get some fresh air. Spending too much time inside staring at your screen.
And no one cares about your opinion.
Let it just be released and end the convo.
Whether you like it or not is of no concern to any of us.

Dude, why do you say that no one cares about his opinion?
Anyone can say whatever they think, and I somehow agree with this "kid."
I'm tired of this iPhone talk.

MacFly123
Apr 1, 2007, 05:26 AM
Ok I am so dumb, it just hit me.... Will the iPod in the iPhone work wirelessly through the speakers in a car with bluetooth??? Has anybody heard anything about this? OMG that would be so cool. Let me know please people, I'm dying here!!! Thanks :)

Blue Velvet
Apr 1, 2007, 05:39 AM
...The iPod caused a tremor in the force because the industry was sitting on their collective fat butts. The same canít be said of the phone industry.

Actually, interface-wise, I believe they have. On the whole, using these phones for web, email and music is a complete pain in the arse rendering them virtually useless...

For most people, the interface is the device, not the bits within it nor the specs. Apple realise this, and word is is that many phone companies are secretly terrified, to paraphrase someone I know who happens to work for a phone manufacturer.

Jarcrew
Apr 1, 2007, 05:43 AM
The phone companies don't need to be terrified yet, because the phone is still a high-end unit. When it starts falling in price/rising in power to that consumer "sweet-spot" though...

When this thing is $300/£199, everybody's screwed.

SeaFox
Apr 1, 2007, 12:37 PM
Ok I am so dumb, it just hit me.... Will the iPod in the iPhone work wirelessly through the speakers in a car with bluetooth??? Has anybody heard anything about this? OMG that would be so cool. Let me know please people, I'm dying here!!! Thanks :)

You are so dumb. That is...

one of those features that has been requested over and over and over again
from people who do not realize that Bluetooth does not supply enough bandwidth for full quality stereo sound (so to work at all the audio will have to be degraded).
And that it would be a battery drain.

matticus008
Apr 1, 2007, 03:33 PM
from people who do not realize that Bluetooth does not supply enough bandwidth for full quality stereo sound (so to work at all the audio will have to be degraded).
Sure it does. Bluetooth 2.0 EDR provides up to 2mbps real-world bandwidth (advertised at 3.0, achieved up to 2.1). That's more than enough for uncompressed stereo audio (1.4mbps).

The trick is sustaining reasonable throughput at this level, which some claim works perfectly, but in my (limited) experience, there were a couple small "pops" like in the very old days when CD ripping wasn't so great. Admittedly, I don't know whether the car I was in had Bluetooth 2.0 and I don't know if my friend's PDA was the source of those popping noises.

Of course, whether the iPhone will pipe music through to a BT headset (which would enable car use) remains to be seen.

MacFly123
Apr 1, 2007, 07:44 PM
You are so dumb. That is...

one of those features that has been requested over and over and over again
And that it would be a battery drain.

Why are there so many people in these forums like you that think it is just ok to be an a$$hole?