PDA

View Full Version : Poll: Are you Folding?

Zeke
Jun 11, 2003, 07:14 PM
With only 100 active users and 2000 people answering polls there's a much larger base to draw from...so we should see why people aren't.
Are you folding?

Answers:
What's Folding?
Yes, for Team MacRumors
Yes, for some other team.
Yes, but what's a Team?
No, don't want to.
No, computer's not fast enough.
No, I want to but I don't know how.
No, I have a PC and thus can't fold for MacRumors.
No, I'd rather look for aliens.

jelloshotsrule
Jun 11, 2003, 07:16 PM
yes, for macrumors team

most people who see the front page don't bother going much deeper... certainly not into distributed folding.

still, we could expect maybe another 100 or so reasonably

szark
Jun 11, 2003, 07:18 PM
Yes, for Team MacRumors

Though I am using a PC to fold, and so are quite a few other members of Team MacRumors.

Zeke
Jun 11, 2003, 07:22 PM
Originally posted by szark
Yes, for Team MacRumors

Though I am using a PC to fold, and so are quite a few other members of Team MacRumors.

Yeah, I use 10 PC's but I thought maybe that's why some people didn't fold...I submitted this poll idea a while back but they didn't put it up. So I figured maybe enough people will post that it'll go to the front page...maybe someone will make it a poll too...who knows.

MrMacMan
Jun 11, 2003, 08:56 PM
Ummm yeah most of the power of this team comes PC's.

And rower (do mod's have the power) to make this into a real poll... atleast submit the idea to Arn when he has nothing better to put on a poll.

jimthorn
Jun 11, 2003, 10:09 PM
Yes, for Team MacRumors. Using an iMac, iBook, and a few old PCs. They may not be much, but they do the job.

Sedulous
Jun 11, 2003, 10:22 PM
Yep, folding for Macrumors Team Folding. Last time I checked, I'm somewhere in 30's rank-wise.

Zeke
Jun 11, 2003, 10:58 PM
I should be #10 in the next 2 days. I've been chugging away seriously the past few days though. Much more than the past...

maradong
Jun 11, 2003, 11:12 PM
Certainly,
and like hell, but

"Yes, for some other team." ( Luxembourg 11170 )

pEZ
Jun 11, 2003, 11:15 PM
yes, for team macrumors (as my sig says)

jelloshotsrule
Jun 11, 2003, 11:27 PM
Originally posted by MrMacman
Ummm yeah most of the power of this team comes PC's.

And rower (do mod's have the power) to make this into a real poll... atleast submit the idea to Arn when he has nothing better to put on a poll.

mods can't "really" make a poll either... they'd have to do some work to get it going

but submitting it to arn isn't a bad idea... get the idea of d.c. out in the main area...

zimv20
Jun 12, 2003, 02:07 AM
yes, but for another team (box set authentic -- 31506)

by making my own team, i've gotten 9 others to start folding.

Rower_CPU
Jun 12, 2003, 10:54 AM
Yeah, arn's the only one with "poll powers" these days. If enough people ask (nicely), he'll probably make one.

primalman
Jun 12, 2003, 11:05 AM
But it is just my laundry.

mc68k
Jun 12, 2003, 12:19 PM
yes with ~40-51 processors a week, most of them 1GHz+ PCs

i'm ranked 23 for the whole project

all for 3446

i also make some helpful folding scripts

mangoman
Jun 12, 2003, 12:35 PM
Read the Stanford page (scanned it) and figure this is a good idea. One thing I didn't catch (yes, I'm lazy today...sorry): How does this folding info get zapped back to the proper folks?

I'm off to get the screensaver going on my 933.

Vlade
Jun 12, 2003, 02:40 PM
Yes, for Team MacRumors

This thread should be somewhere else, like free talk, its like posting a "Do you use a mac" anywhere in the MR forum

jethroted
Jun 12, 2003, 04:32 PM
Yes, for Team MacRumors, although all the computers I use are not macs. Mostly pc's.

MrMacMan
Jun 12, 2003, 07:54 PM
Originally posted by mangoman
Read the Stanford page (scanned it) and figure this is a good idea. One thing I didn't catch (yes, I'm lazy today...sorry): How does this folding info get zapped back to the proper folks?

I'm off to get the screensaver going on my 933.

Ah cool, it gets 'zapped' when every your computer is connected to the internet.

Or you can set it to set it to connect to the internet when it finishes a unit.

scem0
Jun 14, 2003, 03:58 PM
Yes, for MacRumors. Well, I hope the machines I installed folding on at school are folding. ;)

I don't like to fold on my computer. Despite what people say I think it is bad for the CPU.

-scem0

MrMacMan
Jun 14, 2003, 11:02 PM
Originally posted by scem0
Yes, for MacRumors. Well, I hope the machines I installed folding on at school are folding. ;)

I don't like to fold on my computer. Despite what people say I think it is bad for the CPU.

-scem0

And I say the only way to keep your computer 'running' is to never un-pack it.

You may be able to keep it 'running' forever if you never open the box.

*sigh*

It doesn't overload anything, it doesn't burn out anything, etc.

arogge
Jun 15, 2003, 01:01 AM
Originally posted by scem0

Are you using a vaporware Intel CPU that explodes if you try to do any real work? CPUs are designed to compute. Unless you have cooling problems, there's really no reason that a Mac or any other real computer shouldn't be used for computing. I'm more worried about the heat from the PowerMac's power supply than the heat being generated by the G4s.

MacBandit
Jun 15, 2003, 04:03 AM
Originally posted by arogge
Are you using a vaporware Intel CPU that explodes if you try to do any real work? CPUs are designed to compute. Unless you have cooling problems, there's really no reason that a Mac or any other real computer shouldn't be used for computing. I'm more worried about the heat from the PowerMac's power supply than the heat being generated by the G4s.

If you read the help and faq section of the Folding website you will see that there have been some problems with some PC using the gromacs optimized files. They actually get way too hot. This is documented. It appears the chip was never designed to run those sorts of calculations all the time as the G4 was.

Huked on Fonick
Jun 15, 2003, 04:54 AM
Yes i am folding

arogge
Jun 15, 2003, 12:22 PM
Originally posted by MacBandit
If you read the help and faq section of the Folding website you will see that there have been some problems with some PC using the gromacs optimized files. They actually get way too hot. This is documented. It appears the chip was never designed to run those sorts of calculations all the time as the G4 was.

That's ridiculous. With proper cooling, a CPU should be able to run with a 100 percent load continuously. No optimized program code should be able to overload it.

MacBandit
Jun 15, 2003, 01:23 PM
Originally posted by arogge
That's ridiculous. With proper cooling, a CPU should be able to run with a 100 percent load continuously. No optimized program code should be able to overload it.

I realize that but this is in fact a documented problem.

Here's the Folding/Gromacs faq page.

http://folding.stanford.edu/gromacs.html

Number 13 on the page says.

Can I turn off SSE/3D-Now!? It causes problems for my system -- it runs too hot or my K6 doesn't have the full 3D-Now you use.

The default config will be for SSE to be on. In the new client, you will be able to manually turn off SSE in the new client G's putting out. The Gro core will do some internal tests to see if SSE is a problem. If these tests indicate that it is, then the Gro core will turn off SSE itself (although one will be able to try to force SSE manually).

Wes
Jun 15, 2003, 02:09 PM
I used to on my Dual Ghz, then I didn't like the idea of it always running(I had the scripts, and didn't want to have to manually turn it on an off). The system felt irresponsive. So I killed it.

MacBandit
Jun 15, 2003, 02:14 PM
Originally posted by Wes
I used to on my Dual Ghz, then I didn't like the idea of it always running(I had the scripts, and didn't want to have to manually turn it on an off). The system felt irresponsive. So I killed it.

I run it all the time and notice no speed hit. The only time I noticed a hit at all is with UT2003 and then it was only about 3FPS. I that when there is a lack of snap with the GUI it's due to either permissions or prebinding. If those don't fix it it's because you've upgraded from a prior system using the updater and didn't reinstall the system from scratch prior to doing so.

Vlade
Jun 15, 2003, 03:56 PM
Originally posted by Wes
The system felt irresponsive. So I killed it.

They claim it only takes unused CPU cycles, but thats wrong. I was unstuffing a large file, and it stuffit was only getting 60% CPU, while folding was taking 15%

MacBandit
Jun 15, 2003, 11:02 PM
Originally posted by Vlade
They claim it only takes unused CPU cycles, but thats wrong. I was unstuffing a large file, and it stuffit was only getting 60% CPU, while folding was taking 15%

I've never seen it do that I run folding on both processors and when I have other programs going folding is usually occupying 1-2% at the most on both processors.

MrMacMan
Jun 15, 2003, 11:16 PM
Seriously people, it doesn't affect CPU speed, I mean if your looking at an app use 100% CPU, yes folding will eat 1-3% CPU because it wants to keep itself running, but it is a low priority app, heck even checking using 'top' will use CPU so...

MacBandit
Jun 15, 2003, 11:20 PM
Seriously people, it doesn't affect CPU speed, I mean if your looking at an app use 100% CPU, yes folding will eat 1-3% CPU because it wants to keep itself running, but it is a low priority app, heck even checking using 'top' will use CPU so...

Yup exactly. Top uses more CPU cycles when I open it then folding does becaue it kicks folding into a background process.

Vlade
Jun 16, 2003, 09:55 AM
I've never seen it do that I run folding on both processors and when I have other programs going folding is usually occupying 1-2% at the most on both processors.

I will post a screenshot today with a large photoshop filter running :p

MacBandit
Jun 16, 2003, 01:34 PM
I will post a screenshot today with a large photoshop filter running :p

The way to do it is to open the terminal and run top then go back to photoshop and run the filter and then wait a minute or so then take the screenshot while photoshop is in the foreground and working. If you do it any other way then photoshop will not have preference.

Wes
Jun 16, 2003, 01:39 PM
The way to do it is to open the terminal and run top then go back to photoshop and run the filter and then wait a minute or so then take the screenshot while photoshop is in the foreground and working. If you do it any other way then photoshop will not have preference.

More reason not to... I want my background tasks to have priority over folding. Show me how, and maybe I'll do it again.

Vlade
Jun 16, 2003, 02:11 PM
Originally posted by Wes
More reason not to... I want my background tasks to have priority over folding. Show me how, and maybe I'll do it again.

Exactly my point, I wasn't unstuffing in the foreground, but it should be more important than folding if they are both background tasks

MrMacMan
Jun 16, 2003, 05:33 PM
Originally posted by Wes

Read My Lips :
There is no lower priority then folding, none zippo, nada, nothing.

If you hide something (I think) it had the same as folding, it aint 50/50 folding takes even less.

Exactly my point, I wasn't unstuffing in the foreground, but it should be more important than folding if they are both background tasks
Well tell that to *nix, maybe you can create the next version?

Maybe a Super-low priority mod?

No, I don't think it will happen.

MacBandit
Jun 16, 2003, 06:57 PM

If you the top program in the background and unstuffing in the forground then you should see unstuffing taking like 98% of cpu cycles after a few seconds. Every once and a while folding will pop up the chart but will go back down. Remember the sampling time of top isn't all that quick so you have to give things time to react.

My point of putting photoshop in the foreground was not to give it priority over folding as it already has that it was to make sure it had priority over the terminal app with top running. I've seen top take as much as 10% if the terminal is in the foreground. There's also that strong possibility that on a single processor machine that you will never see you primary task take more the 90-95% of cpu cycles due to tasks being performed by the system. In any situation folding is given the lowest priority possible this means that even if you were to find a way to make it a foreground task it would still take priority behind any other task currently running. It may show in top that it's taking as much as 30% cpu time on a rare occasion when you are performing other tasks remember that top samples this means that it could have taken 30% for less then a nanosecond just at the time that top was taking it's sample. I think that if you if you perform a test using a program like photoshop with a filter with folding running and with folding off that a filter that takes 10 minutes to render will take at the most 5-10seconds longer with folding running. The benefit to all humans in general far out weight those the minute you might lose in 10 hours of processing.

MrMacMan
Jun 16, 2003, 08:37 PM
Wow, I thought my post was detailed enough.

Thanks again MacBandit. :)

pssssttt maybe we can add this to FAQ?

mc68k
Jun 16, 2003, 10:53 PM
Originally posted by Wes
I want my background tasks to have priority over folding. Show me how, and maybe I'll do it again. u could give the core a different priority with the renice command. you have to be a superuser to screw with processes, so u can prefix the command with sudo. the range is from -20 <-> 20 with -20 being more CPU.

sudo renice -20 <pid>

MacBandit
Jun 16, 2003, 11:25 PM
Originally posted by mc68k
u could give the core a different priority with the renice command. you have to be a superuser to screw with processes, so u can prefix the command with sudo. the range is from -20 <-> 20 with -20 being more CPU.

sudo renice -20 <pid>

Background tasks should already have priority over folding. The only way they couldn't be is if the program was given a priority of nice +20 and that hasn't happened because the user doesn't know how to. Even with nice +20 it will only be on par with folding on less then it. There is no way to make a task have less of a priority then folding that is what I was trying to explain in my last post.

Rower_CPU
Jun 17, 2003, 12:42 AM
pssssttt maybe we can add this to FAQ?

Yeah, yeah...I'm on it. :)

Royal Pineapple
Jun 28, 2003, 01:51 AM
Yes, for Team MacRumors

just started today, what do you think of that :D

MrMacMan
Jun 28, 2003, 11:09 AM
Originally posted by Royal Pineapple
Yes, for Team MacRumors

just started today, what do you think of that :D

Thats cool.

temptatino
Jun 28, 2003, 11:34 AM
Yes, for Team MacRumors

on every computer i own.. including my four macs and two pcs.

temptatino
Jun 28, 2003, 11:46 AM
i know i'm going to sound like a complete idiot here.. but how can i set folding to start up automatically? i am using the terminal version. adding the 'osx-3.25' file to login items doesn't work for me. how do i set a unix process to start on startup? thanks.

Rower_CPU
Jun 28, 2003, 01:28 PM
tempatino-
Check out mc68k's install/setup scripts. You can choose to have F@H run at startup.

SP is for single processor and DP is for duals.

http://homepage.mac.com/mc68k/

DamnDJ
Jul 4, 2003, 03:18 PM
Well since I visit the MacRumors site regularly, I thought it would be nice to join the team. I downloaded and installed the folding software last week and I am now chugging along for the MacRumors site.

I am ranked around 280something, but I hope to increase that in the upcoming days. :D

*waves hi to everyone*

Mr. Anderson
Jul 4, 2003, 03:24 PM
Yep - not much of a contributor - low power compared to some ;) - but I'm doing my bit.....

D

bertinman
Jul 4, 2003, 03:43 PM
Originally posted by Mr. Anderson
Yep - not much of a contributor - low power compared to some ;) - but I'm doing my bit.....

D

Ever hear about those killer red ants in Africa? Hundreds of little creatures can devastate entire country sides! (or something like that...so I've been told).

Every little bit helps.:D

- bert

NNO-Stephen
Jul 4, 2003, 03:52 PM
Yes, for team MacRumors. I haven't updated my sig in about three days cause I'm on a big-ass WU at the moment on my Quicksilver G4... I update it after every WU though. I'm only been folding for less than two weeks, and should be in the 100s in not too long at this rate...

pfranzen
Jul 9, 2003, 11:49 AM
I've added 3 machines to the team effort today...they are set up to fold 24/7 so lets hope it helps a little :)

LordMord
Jul 15, 2003, 02:06 PM
Im folding for you now...beers on me...just thought id say hihi :)

Folding with:

1 dual 800 G4
2 old pcs
1 imac 800
1 new pc

Soon to be added:

1 dual G5
1 heavily modded Prometeia Mach II cooled P4...when i finish building it :D

AND any other machines I can get my filthy hands on...

Mord

bertinman
Jul 15, 2003, 02:30 PM
Originally posted by LordMord
Im folding for you now...beers on me...just thought id say hihi :)

Folding with:

1 dual 800 G4
2 old pcs
1 imac 800
1 new pc

Soon to be added:

1 dual G5
1 heavily modded Prometeia Mach II cooled P4...when i finish building it :D

AND any other machines I can get my filthy hands on...

Mord

mmmm BEEEER!

oh wait I don't drink...

mmmm refrigerated CPU's!

MrMacMan
Jul 15, 2003, 07:56 PM
LordMord -- Very good to hear since we lose most of our members quite quickly.

:(

Durandal7
Jul 17, 2003, 03:32 AM
Yep, I just signed on to Folding.

I was debating between joining Folding and SETI and I realized this about SETI:

SETI will never find anything. SETI operates on the assumption that another civ is transmitting open radio transmissions like we do now in the form of TV and Radio. But every day we stop these signals, XM Radio is gaining momentum, cable and sat TV will soon supplant broadcast and most of our communications are handled by direct beam sattelites. Logically, in about 50 years we will be transmitting next to nothing when it comes to wide band signals that can bleed into space. If an alien civilization follows a similar course of progress to us then they would only have radio transmissions that bleed into space for 100-200 years. A few centuries is a blink of the eye on the galactic scale and it is my observation that SETI is hopeless due to this narrow, limited method of detection.

Odds are that there are no nearby alien cultures at the exact same point of development.

MrMacMan
Jul 17, 2003, 09:48 AM
Durandal7 -- good points!

We have also noted SETI might be recycling work units over and the top teams might be cheating. :(

The worst thing that can happen in folding is the stats fail to load or crash. :rolleyes:

MacBandit
Jul 17, 2003, 12:34 PM
Originally posted by Durandal7
Yep, I just signed on to Folding.

I was debating between joining Folding and SETI and I realized this about SETI:

SETI will never find anything. SETI operates on the assumption that another civ is transmitting open radio transmissions like we do now in the form of TV and Radio. But every day we stop these signals, XM Radio is gaining momentum, cable and sat TV will soon supplant broadcast and most of our communications are handled by direct beam sattelites. Logically, in about 50 years we will be transmitting next to nothing when it comes to wide band signals that can bleed into space. If an alien civilization follows a similar course of progress to us then they would only have radio transmissions that bleed into space for 100-200 years. A few centuries is a blink of the eye on the galactic scale and it is my observation that SETI is hopeless due to this narrow, limited method of detection.

Odds are that there are no nearby alien cultures at the exact same point of development.

That's true but if you consider the possibility of millions of civilizations (far fetched to some but very plausible to me and others). Also consider them to be at different stages of their evolution and also consider it takes thousands of years for a signal to get anywhere even nearby to us. Take all those variables in and you have to admit the possibility of receiving a signal isn't all that implausible. I for one think that even if we did and have received a signal that they would have been so garbled by gravitational distortion and other natural radio sources and radiation that there is little chance that we would identify them even if we were staring right at them.

MrMacMan
Jul 17, 2003, 05:07 PM
That's true but if you consider the possibility of millions of civilizations (far fetched to some but very plausible to me and others). Also consider them to be at different stages of their evolution and also consider it takes thousands of years for a signal to get anywhere even nearby to us. Take all those variables in and you have to admit the possibility of receiving a signal isn't all that implausible. I for one think that even if we did and have received a signal that they would have been so garbled by gravitational distortion and other natural radio sources and radiation that there is little chance that we would identify them even if we were staring right at them.

Seriously it will probably take 100's of years of advances before we could even descrambble a signal through thousands, millions or billions of miles large.

MacBandit
Jul 17, 2003, 09:02 PM
Seriously it will probably take 100's of years of advances before we could even descrambble a signal through thousands, millions or billions of miles large.

Yup, that's pretty much my point.

Vlade
Jul 17, 2003, 09:09 PM
I think SETI is doing more harm than good, think of all the power used on CPU cycles that are returning nothing, its like spending a million dollars a year to have someone look for a specific molecule of water in an ocean.

It has good intentions, but its almost pointless.

pEZ
Jul 17, 2003, 09:46 PM
I think SETI is doing more harm than good, think of all the power used on CPU cycles that are returning nothing, its like spending a million dollars a year to have someone look for a specific molecule of water in an ocean.

It has good intentions, but its almost pointless.

I wouldn't say that it's doing harm - it just isn't helping. I'll do SETI when there isn't anything left to fold, because folding has a finite end, unlike SETI.

Vlade
Jul 17, 2003, 09:55 PM
But think of all the power consumed by SETI (and folding), all those wasted resources. I guess on a larger scale it is only about .00000000000000000000001% of the power used.

Durandal7
Jul 18, 2003, 12:24 AM

Let's assume that there are 6 million advanced civilizations in the galaxy at any given time. Let's define an "advanced" civilization as a culture that has reached approx. 1800 AD technology level. Let's also assume that the average culture survives for around 4000 years past that point until their genetic stagnation finishes them off (assumiing they're brighter then humans, who will be gone in 200 years.)

If they progress at a rate similar to our culture then they would transmit "wide band" EM signals for about 200 years or %5 of their lifespan.This means that there is 300000 civilizations that are on par with us and waste energy by bleeding it off into space. The Milky Way galaxy has anywhere from 200 billion to 400 billion stars. Let's say 300 billion stars for the sake of simplicity.

We can then determine that the odds that SETI happens to be looking at one of the stars that happens to one of the 300000 cultures similar to our own is %.0000001. You are right about interference, if you assume that our odds of noticing the signal are bad it goes down to around %.0000000000001 that SETI will see anything when it looks at a star.

I personally think that 6 million may be a bit too high and that many civilizations will last more then 4000 years, in which case the probability is even lower.

WinterMute
Jul 18, 2003, 04:55 PM
OK, just joined the MacRumors team, got it running on the 17"PB, can't run the eMac all night as I have a long stay guest in the spare room, but when she's gone I'll install on that too.

Here's to team 3446:D

pivo6
Jul 18, 2003, 06:37 PM
I don't know why I waited so long, but I've just added my 800mhz imac to the team.

MrMacMan
Jul 18, 2003, 06:59 PM
Originally posted by pivo6
I don't know why I waited so long, but I've just added my 800mhz imac to the team.

Good luck and good folding.

Capt Underpants
Jul 25, 2003, 11:47 AM
I'm folding!! I just joined two days ago and already have ninety points. BTW, I am doing it for the macrumors team.

MrMacMan
Jul 25, 2003, 01:40 PM
Today is a very sad day for me, today i will drop to my lowest ranking yet, and fall off the top 100 ranking team spot.

I was once at 40, slowly as bigger fish passed me, I was pushed down, lower, lower and finally I will have to view a whole new page to see my ranking.

The team has moved rappidly upwards, too fast for me

Goodbye MrMacMan 100 ranking:

MacBandit
Jul 25, 2003, 01:49 PM
Today is a very sad day for me, today i will drop to my lowest ranking yet, and fall off the top 100 ranking team spot.

I was once at 40, slowly as bigger fish passed me, I was pushed down, lower, lower and finally I will have to view a whole new page to see my ranking.

The team has moved rappidly upwards, too fast for me

Muahahaha stomp stomp stomp. Get down there you bottom feeder STOMP! Sounds like it's time for a faster computer.:D :p

MrMacMan
Jul 25, 2003, 02:17 PM
Muahahaha stomp stomp stomp. Get down there you bottom feeder STOMP! Sounds like it's time for a faster computer.:D :p

Well thanks for that, what I really needed.

I think I'm going to cry, be back in like 1000 hours.

I got this computer for christmas. I was gone for 2 weeks not making any points during that time and I only have 1 computer running because all are too slow to run Os X.

But thanks for the nice comments.

MacBandit
Jul 25, 2003, 03:04 PM
......But thanks for the nice comments.

Anytime you know you can count on me.

I'll see you guy in a few days I'm off to my wedding.

MrMacMan
Jul 25, 2003, 04:28 PM

Have a happy wedding.

bertinman
Jul 25, 2003, 06:37 PM

congrats.

reminds me... I gotta get something for my wife for our anniversary...

(runs and hides)

bertinman
Jul 25, 2003, 06:44 PM

you are just going on vacation from it.

you'll be back up there don't worry

plus, you are still in the top 25% of the members.

MrMacMan
Jul 26, 2003, 10:25 PM
Originally posted by bertinman
you are just going on vacation from it.

you'll be back up there don't worry

plus, you are still in the top 25% of the members.

Nah, with all of these new members I will be decreasing quite significantly.

The only thing my iMac might pass is users who haven't folded in atleast a month.

So yes, my iMac will PWN All users who stoped folding!!! ;)

W00t!

edit: we all know ranking doesn't matter, I just really wanted to show that I was helping the team, but I can't stay competitive.

eyelikeart
Jul 27, 2003, 12:16 AM
does it really matter what your ranking is though?

I thought the point was working as a team to increase in total points...together?

MrMacMan
Jul 27, 2003, 12:48 AM
Originally posted by eyelikeart

I thought the point was working as a team to increase in total points...together?

Ah yes I should add a little ' ;) ' in there shouldn't I?

Vlade
Jul 27, 2003, 03:22 PM
Originally posted by eyelikeart

competition is VERY good for the team, it makes everyone work harder.

dho
Oct 13, 2003, 04:45 PM
I used to fold, then I installed panther and never re installed :(

I think I'l do that now!!!

MrMacMan
Oct 13, 2003, 08:49 PM
Originally posted by dho
I used to fold, then I installed panther and never re installed :(

I think I'l do that now!!!

Ah, welcome back!

:)

zach
Oct 23, 2003, 08:26 PM
Yes, for Team MacRumors.

:D

I like to fold. It makes me happy to see the frame numbers climb and climb...

primalman
Oct 23, 2003, 08:45 PM
1,200 pairs of jockeys as of today!

Danger! Will
Oct 23, 2003, 09:02 PM

MrMacMan
Oct 24, 2003, 10:30 PM
Originally posted by Danger! Will

Yeah its not like like it SETI could take millions of years to find a possible result, and by then the civilization would take *lightyears* to get to.

phrancpharmD
Oct 28, 2003, 01:25 PM
yes, for MacRumors - I started a few weeks ago and just finished my second work unit. Now if only I can figure out how to put folding on some relatively unused computers here at work and set it up to start automatically at startup. . .

Vlade
Oct 28, 2003, 02:54 PM
Originally posted by phrancpharmD
yes, for MacRumors - I started a few weeks ago and just finished my second work unit. Now if only I can figure out how to put folding on some relatively unused computers here at work and set it up to start automatically at startup. . .

If its a mac look at the FAQ to find out about the scripts that will make your mac ALWAYS fold when started up. If its a PC just install the default client

phrancpharmD
Oct 28, 2003, 07:45 PM
Thanks for the tip. I'm currently folding on my iBook, but I have the "opportunity" to add some Windows computers at work into the mix. I suppose the graphic client is the way to go to keep it as unobtrusive as possible?

MacBandit
Oct 29, 2003, 02:29 AM
Okay here's a question. I just upgraded to Panther. Which I just have to say is friggin fantastic. Well I used the script to reinstall folding on my machine. With Panther I can't check my progress anymore by typing 'Work' into the terminal. What's the new commands or what has changed?

Vlade
Oct 29, 2003, 03:37 PM
look at the Folding at home log, it should be in a folder called F@H1 in your home folder

MacBandit
Oct 29, 2003, 04:21 PM
look at the Folding at home log, it should be in a folder called F@H1 in your home folder

Yeah, I realize I can do that but for one it's not as convenient even if I put the alias in the dock. The second problem is I can't stop folding if I chose to as I could before. None of the commands work.

MacBandit
Oct 30, 2003, 12:48 PM
Okay time for me to eat my foot. I have been complaining in this thread about the script commands not working instead of searching MacRumors for an answer. It's such a newbie mistake I think I may have to swallow past my foot right up to my knee.

If anyone else hasn't found the answer yet it's in this thread.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=43599

Mudbug
Nov 19, 2003, 11:32 PM
I've thrown a few machines into the folding pot:

300 G3/192 (yeah, it's slow, but it works...)
dual 450 G4/640
667 tibook/512
800 tibook/512
1.6Ghz P4/640

most of them were sitting around all day anyway, so I figure I could use them for this without any harm done. Two of them were doing seti, but that seems a little less important to me.

All are working for team 3446 (macrumors).

MrMacMan
Nov 20, 2003, 07:27 PM
Mudbug -- Wow thats a nice group of machines there.

Keep it up!

Good Job everyone!

alset
Nov 20, 2003, 07:43 PM
I wish I could keep folding, but I need the ability to watch the cycles on my processors to judge DSP plugins. When I can see how hard I'm stressing my procs I can more accurately judge how many more effects are available. Having both procs operate at 100% makes it impossible to tell until my comp chokes.

Dan

bousozoku
Nov 20, 2003, 09:27 PM
Originally posted by alset
I wish I could keep folding, but I need the ability to watch the cycles on my processors to judge DSP plugins. When I can see how hard I'm stressing my procs I can more accurately judge how many more effects are available. Having both procs operate at 100% makes it impossible to tell until my comp chokes.

Dan

Your job is the most important thing here. Do what you must. :)

MacBandit
Nov 21, 2003, 02:18 AM
Originally posted by alset

Dan

That's probably the best thing to do but.... You can use Apples Activity Monitor in 10.3 and all the programs that have been niced have a color of blue. All the active processes you are currently running are green and red is the system utilization.

MacBandit
Nov 21, 2003, 02:20 AM
Originally posted by Mudbug
I've thrown a few machines into the folding pot:

300 G3/192 (yeah, it's slow, but it works...)
dual 450 G4/640
667 tibook/512
800 tibook/512
1.6Ghz P4/640

most of them were sitting around all day anyway, so I figure I could use them for this without any harm done. Two of them were doing seti, but that seems a little less important to me.

All are working for team 3446 (macrumors).

I've got my Dual/1.42 both processors going. I also have a eMac I have hijacked and a 17" Powerbook. I'll probably hijack more over time. Also my wife has a 15" Powerbook on order which I'll also add to the folding crew. All in all though at the moment my Dual/1.42 is outputting about 6 times the units that the 17" and eMac are processing.