PDA

View Full Version : What's a good MMORPG with no monthly fees

magicjames92
Apr 28, 2007, 08:04 PM
I need to find a good mmorpg, that you buy and then there are no monthly fees. No runescape or world of warcraft. I have a macbook. I don't want to run windows on my mac. <edit- windows is ok> Thanks for the help.

huck500
Apr 28, 2007, 08:29 PM
That's a tall order...

Maybe Oberin? (http://www.oberin.com/)

sb58
Apr 28, 2007, 09:03 PM
Guild Wars? not entirely sure if there's a mac version. you have some very specific requirements that i doubt is met by macs.

magicjames92
Apr 28, 2007, 09:19 PM
not oberin, thats small scale. sucky graphics. guild wars would be nice if it was on mac. but its not.

Fearless Leader
Apr 28, 2007, 09:25 PM
well WOW gave everybody a good spankin and left them to run home to their mommies.
you might want to try WOW: The burning crusade and buy like 4 year long subscriptions to avoid monthly subscriptions...
that way its
A) Good
B) No monthly fees
C) Technically not wow.
D) runs on mac

sb58
Apr 28, 2007, 09:29 PM
you could at least try the 10 day Burning Crusade trial.

Eric5h5
Apr 28, 2007, 10:27 PM
The only game I can think of offhand that would fit the criteria mentioned is Minions of Mirth (http://www.prairiegames.com/).

--Eric

shinji
Apr 29, 2007, 02:56 AM
Isn't there a new one like Uru, a myst sorta mmorpg?

valiar
Apr 29, 2007, 04:49 AM
While it is not strictly a Mac MMO, I can recommend EVE Online.
Right now I play it under OS X using Crossover Office. Some tips for making it work under Crossover are posted on the main EVE forum.
A supported native Mac version is in the works, and is promised this summer.
EVE is a decidedly un-WOW, and quite unusual MMO.
Give it a try!

Shanesan
Apr 29, 2007, 04:54 AM
Well, if you can wait 6 years I'll be done developing my MMOFPS...

But it'll have a monthly subscription. Nevermind!

Streetpugilist
Apr 29, 2007, 06:07 AM
Everquest Mac version is good with a great community of Mac users. Or Second Life.

G.Kirby
Apr 29, 2007, 08:04 AM
How about NeverWinter Nights? Lots of my friends play it they say it's cool :)

magicjames92
Apr 29, 2007, 08:18 AM
thanks for all the responses. i am trying wow and i like it but $140 a year is too much for me, plus when times up, all the moneys gone. you dont own it. if u know something i dont tell me. The neverwinter site didnt work. no minions. eve is not yet mac so no. Everquest sounds like it might be good. Can anyone confirm its mac, if uve played it tell me what you think, and tell me the pricing. thx!

Mord
Apr 29, 2007, 08:23 AM
edit: I'm silly.

I like vendetta online.

magicjames92
Apr 29, 2007, 09:57 AM
edit: I'm silly.

I like vendetta online.

monthly fee.

Eric5h5
Apr 29, 2007, 10:11 AM
monthly fee.

So does Everquest, plus you can only play against Mac gamers if you're on a Mac. What's wrong with Minions of Mirth? No monthly fee.

--Eric

magicjames92
Apr 29, 2007, 12:26 PM
So does Everquest, plus you can only play against Mac gamers if you're on a Mac. What's wrong with Minions of Mirth? No monthly fee.

--Eric

thx for the info, no everquest for me. minions seems smale scale but ill try it. does anyone know if boot camp +windows xp+ guild wars would work?

ReanimationLP
Apr 29, 2007, 12:35 PM
It'll work fine.

Cromulent
Apr 29, 2007, 12:54 PM
Just about all MMOs are based on paying a monthly fee as that is the business model that they all generally follow. The advantage to that is you get free monthly updates to the game mostly and the servers have good uptime.

Out of what has been suggested EverQuest is by far the best MMO available on the Mac. It may be older than World of Warcraft but it is 100 times more enjoyable. I played it on the PC for about 4 or 5 years. The Mac version has all expansions up to Planes of Power I believe.

zap2
Apr 29, 2007, 01:26 PM
you might want to try WOW:The burning crusade

C) Technically not wow.

What are talking about...you call it wow, but then try at sell it as it not really being wow....are you making money from this? Or give him ideas??

Jasonbot
Apr 29, 2007, 01:36 PM
Runescape... (http://www.runescape.com/)
?

madog
Apr 29, 2007, 01:55 PM
Arcane Arena!

magicjames92
Apr 29, 2007, 05:05 PM
minions was horrible..o well i guess im gonna have to just boot camp guild wars. now that windows is an option is there anything better than guild wars that doesnt have monthly fees?

Fearless Leader
Apr 29, 2007, 10:05 PM
it is either monthly fee's or buy an expansion every couple of months your choice, about the same in price though.

Also in wow if you stop paying your account will just sit there unplayable, but there.

MyJelleo
Apr 30, 2007, 04:07 AM
thanks for all the responses. i am trying wow and i like it but $140 a year is too much for me, plus when times up, all the moneys gone. you dont own it. if u know something i dont tell me. The neverwinter site didnt work. no minions. eve is not yet mac so no. Everquest sounds like it might be good. Can anyone confirm its mac, if uve played it tell me what you think, and tell me the pricing. thx!

140 dollars a year is too much for you?? What's your annual income? 100 dollars?

Sauron's Master
Apr 30, 2007, 04:31 AM
140 dollars a year is too much for you?? What's your annual income? 100 dollars?

While this previous post was a bit rude, it does highlight a point; the money you spend to pay for the MMORPG is NOTHING compared to the opportunity cost of the time you spend playing it.

magicjames92
Apr 30, 2007, 06:10 AM
i dont have ani income yet, im 14

Simon Liquid
Apr 30, 2007, 06:23 AM
I can't believe no one mentioned Shadowbane. It's the one formerly for pay MMORPG that I know of for Mac that is now free to download and play. Although there was some slight hassle with the downloading part-the site they had it up on when I tried it used a process that wasn't very Mac friendly but it's really just one hoop to jump through that doesn't cost you any money.

MongoTheGeek
Apr 30, 2007, 09:47 AM
Well there is going oldschool and playing the original MMORPG.

nethack

Oneness
Apr 30, 2007, 10:30 AM

Yeah, $140/year is not that much, but the line has to be drawn somewhere. For those of you over 20 and paying your own bills you know what I mean. Let's see: phone, cellular, cable/satellite, internet, electronic gadget habit, and monthly fees for games that take up WAY too much of my time. Yes, $140/yr is too much for me too.

MyJelleo
Apr 30, 2007, 03:07 PM
Yeah, $140/year is not that much, but the line has to be drawn somewhere. For those of you over 20 and paying your own bills you know what I mean. Let's see: phone, cellular, cable/satellite, internet, electronic gadget habit, and monthly fees for games that take up WAY too much of my time. Yes, $140/yr is too much for me too.

I don't see how what I said was rude at all; I'm just making a point. I'm 23 and I have numerous bills. I pay 100 for my cell phone bill, $55 for my gym membership, $150 for my car insurance, $250 for rent, and other wonderful bills. Paying 12 bucks a month for a game is not too much.

You spend 12 bucks on miscellaneous stuff outside from the mandatory spending all the time: junk food, food food, clothes, hair products, and other stuff. Humans are consumers and we buy stuff we don't need all the time.

IF you want a good mmorpg, then cut back on the other stuff that you don't need and cough up the 12 bucks a month. If you're really hurting for money that badly and 12 bucks will put you into the hole, then trying to find a good game to play should be the last thing on your mind.

I keep hearing from many people how monthly fees for games suck. In the past, I used to have that same mindset. However, the amount of updated content that you get makes up for it. I started thinking more about the fee, and I realized that I make enough money to pay off the fee in the time it takes me to piss in the toilet at work.

mdelaney123
May 1, 2007, 06:52 AM
I don't see how what I said was rude at all; I'm just making a point. I'm 23 and I have numerous bills. I pay 100 for my cell phone bill, $55 for my gym membership, $150 for my car insurance, $250 for rent, and other wonderful bills. Paying 12 bucks a month for a game is not too much.

You spend 12 bucks on miscellaneous stuff outside from the mandatory spending all the time: junk food, food food, clothes, hair products, and other stuff. Humans are consumers and we buy stuff we don't need all the time.

IF you want a good mmorpg, then cut back on the other stuff that you don't need and cough up the 12 bucks a month.

I for one am SICK of paying money every month to play a MMO... I stopped playing WOW right before the expansion came out because I could not see paying $40 for that expansion after I had been paying $13 a month for so long. If I am going to pay $15 a month to play a game, they they should give us the game for FREE and the ESPECIALLY the expansions for FREE...

I went out and purchased Guild Wars for $30 and could not be happier. It is a great game, easily as fun as WOW and there are NO MONTHLY fees!

I swear, the person who came up with monthly fees for games, must be the same guy who came up with bottled water!

$15 for WOW/MMOs, $12 for XM Radio, $50 for BASIC non-digital cable, and the list goes on... This is all stuff you can get for free, yet people are happily paying for them!

I am done... See you in Guild Wars as I drink my tap water and listen to my local radio station! (LOL)

:p

MyJelleo
May 1, 2007, 07:07 AM
I for one am SICK of paying money every month to play a MMO... I stopped playing WOW right before the expansion came out because I could not see paying $40 for that expansion after I had been paying $13 a month for so long. If I am going to pay $15 a month to play a game, they they should give us the game for FREE and the ESPECIALLY the expansions for FREE...

I went out and purchased Guild Wars for $30 and could not be happier. It is a great game, easily as fun as WOW and there are NO MONTHLY fees!

I swear, the person who came up with monthly fees for games, must be the same guy who came up with bottled water!

$15 for WOW/MMOs, $12 for XM Radio, $50 for BASIC non-digital cable, and the list goes on... This is all stuff you can get for free, yet people are happily paying for them!

I am done... See you in Guild Wars as I drink my tap water and listen to my local radio station! (LOL)

Okay, first off the money you pay for the game is put towards the time and work it took to develop the game. Nothing in this world is free: Econ 101. If they work, we pay for that work in some fashion. In this case, it's with money. The monthly fees is for monthly updates and server maintenance: MMORPG servers are not cheap to maintain.

Guild Wars is a good game, and it is free to play due to their server architecture:

"To support their fee-free approach to online gaming the server architecture developed for the game was core to minimizing the bandwidth costs associated with maintaining game servers.[24] Infrastructure design was influenced by the developers experiences with Battle.net development."

However, it's not for Mac. It doesn't run that well in Crossover at the moment, and I'm too lazy to have to reboot my machine into windows to play the game, then boot back to OS X to do everything else. Also the only time you see anyone else is in town, or when you're in a party. Otherwise, you're all alone in this huge world.

I like having the chance to bump into someone doing the same quest as I am doing in WoW. That way if I'm breaking my balls trying to complete it, I can just easily make the party right there and then do my thing.

BTW, bottled water comes in really handy in third world countries where tap water is infested with baddies.

The funny thing is that I don't even play WoW any more. I don't really know why I keep defending it. I think it has to do with my unconditional love for the game: no matter how badly it treats me, I'll never stop loving it.

Gasu E.
May 1, 2007, 11:16 AM
I don't see how what I said was rude at all; I'm just making a point. I'm 23 and I have numerous bills. I pay 100 for my cell phone bill, $55 for my gym membership, $150 for my car insurance, $250 for rent, and other wonderful bills.

You pay $250 a month for rent? Where do you live, a closet? :D

mdelaney123
May 1, 2007, 11:45 AM
However, it's not for Mac. It doesn't run that well in Crossover at the moment, and I'm too lazy to have to reboot my machine into windows to play the game, then boot back to OS X to do everything else. Also the only time you see anyone else is in town, or when you're in a party. Otherwise, you're all alone in this huge world.

I like having the chance to bump into someone doing the same quest as I am doing in WoW. That way if I'm breaking my balls trying to complete it, I can just easily make the party right there and then do my thing.

You don't want to reboot to play a game? If the game is good enough, I don't mind rebooting at all. Examples: Guild Wars, Command and Conqer 3, Half Life 2, etc...

Also, bumping into someone while playing WOW was often right after they killed the one mob, or many of the mobs you needed for your quest. Then you ended up waiting for the respawn. Then someone else came along and you again had to compete to kill that respawn. Yup, that was fun... :rolleyes:

lasuther
May 1, 2007, 02:15 PM
WoW costs just over $155 a year. And I spend more in candy bars a month than WoW. If you think the $12.99 is too much, I recommend dropping your cable bill which probably runs $50 to $75 a month to a basic 15$ a month bare bones program. Because once you get into WoW, you’ll stop watching TV.

And if you look at cost per hour spent, WoW is the cheapest form of entertainment.

lasuther
May 1, 2007, 02:16 PM
You don't want to reboot to play a game? If the game is good enough, I don't mind rebooting at all. Examples: Guild Wars, Command and Conqer 3, Half Life 2, etc...

Also, bumping into someone while playing WOW was often right after they killed the one mob, or many of the mobs you needed for your quest. Then you ended up waiting for the respawn. Then someone else came along and you again had to compete to kill that respawn. Yup, that was fun... :rolleyes:

They came up with an interesting fix for that, mobs spawn based on the number of people in the area. More people, more mobs.

magicjames92
May 1, 2007, 03:32 PM
They came up with an interesting fix for that, mobs spawn based on the number of people in the area. More people, more mobs.

ive been playing the demo- "get this guys head" You attack. He is almost dead. Another guy comes up and kills him, taking the head. u wait for him to respawn and fight again. LAME!

MyJelleo
May 1, 2007, 04:25 PM
You pay $250 a month for rent? Where do you live, a closet? :D

LAF! I have roommates; they help lower rent a lot.

ive been playing the demo- "get this guys head" You attack. He is almost dead. Another guy comes up and kills him, taking the head. u wait for him to respawn and fight again. LAME!

It's competition for resources! Got to take advantage of opportunities.

Dustman
May 1, 2007, 04:41 PM
I need to find a good mmorpg, that you buy and then there are no monthly fees. No runescape or world of warcraft. I have a macbook. I don't want to run windows on my mac. <edit- windows is ok> Thanks for the help.

MapleStory!! And Gunbound! two very awesome free games.. both unfortunately windows native.. Maplestory isnt very graphics heavy either if u turn down the settings.. worked fine with my 64mb intergrated graphics on the dell in my sig.

cepler
May 1, 2007, 05:37 PM
All MMORPGs are evil.

Think about it...You sit there running around graphically but all you're REALLY doing is updating a big spreadsheet...

Let that sink in a bit... :)

-- Former Lvl 50 DAoC player

colocolo
May 1, 2007, 09:47 PM

What are you talking about? It doesn't work that way in WoW. If you do damage first, the loot is your party's only. No one else can loot the corpse! (Of course, unless you die before killing him...)

zeedee-h
May 2, 2007, 05:45 AM
Minions of mirth
www.prairiegames.com

mdelaney123
May 2, 2007, 07:01 AM
And I spend more in candy bars a month than WoW.

If you are eating THAT MANY candy bars, AND playing WOW that much, I would be very concerned for your health. I do hope you were just making a point!!! :confused:

And if you look at cost per hour spent, WoW is the cheapest form of entertainment.

Not really... In terms of computer gaming, almost ANY OTHER good computer game is cheaper than WOW. WOW is one of the MOST expensive.

WOW, if I played for the first year cost ~ $250

Guild Wars, if I played the same amount of time for the first year cost ~ $45

Age of Empires III, for the first year cost ~$45

I think you are really fooling yourself on WOW. Don't get me wrong, I liked the game while I was playing it, but I just got so SICK of the monthly fees, ESPECIALLY when there are games like Guild Wars, AOE3, CnC3, HalfLife 2, Call of Duty 1,2,3, etc...

lunablue
May 2, 2007, 11:59 AM
You might check out Clanlord. http://www.deltatao.com/clanlord/

It does have a monthly or annual fee but not nearly as expensive as WOW.
It does NOT have fancy graphics, but it does have a great community. There is a free trial but it is very limited. I think you can buy the game for $15 and get 2 months free play.. that might be the best way to try it out.

madog
May 2, 2007, 09:48 PM
Heroes of First Star (http://www.unfungames.com/heroesoffirststar/index.htm)

Online, free and very "console" like. Have fun!

Skybug
May 4, 2007, 06:17 AM
There are several that are free, microtransaction based or have a one time fee. They also vary by taste. You may have to look at java or flash based too, although most do have a mac client.

I have a list of currently 28 of all sorts listed at http://homepage.mac.com/skybug/mmo/macmmo.html

Maybe one of them will catch you. :)

GraphicDesigner
May 17, 2007, 07:48 PM

:apple: Heres a good one to go for, its called Planeshift its constent growing 3D mmorpg (its completely free to play and download) its for mac, linux and win, its a open source program for you programers out there that want to help move it along faster in its evolution. Its still in development but very playable you can say that you are a beta tester almost. There are some RPG rules they like players to go by to set an atmosphere.

check it out, you may just like it …
I play it on my iBook G4 and it works great
http://www.planeshift.it/

statikcat
May 17, 2007, 11:17 PM
Lol.. 15/month is really cheap assuming you play it a lot. Seriously .. most games people spend 40 bucks on they play a total of how much some people play Wow in 2-3 weeks. For the amount I used to play WoW 50 cents a day for 20+ hours a week was not so bad. In fact I cant think of anything else I could spent my time doing that is cheaper except a few other online games.. but they are not constantly changing like WoW.. that is what your money goes towards. It is NOT a static game.

Bern
May 18, 2007, 09:07 AM
Have you tried Urban Terror (http://www.urbanterror.net/page.php?6) ? It was originally built on Quake III, but you can now download it and the IO File to run it independent of Quake III. And best of all it's free

chadi
Jun 4, 2007, 11:43 PM
Just to comment on the wow thing...I sold my warlock for $500 USD after playing for about 1.5 years...now if you are one of those play 15550235235 characters up to level 10 and make a new character...that might not work. I had a level 70 with a bit of T4/arena gear (t1/t2 in the bank) and a 64 hunter that was originally my little brothers that I x-ferred to my acct when he stopped playing.

that said...want a web text game? www.slavehack.com I'm ranked 3497th at the moment and I just play it while working (lots of leave it running in the background...you will see what I mean).

relimw
Jun 8, 2007, 12:50 AM
Heres a good one to go for, its called Planeshift its constent growing 3D mmorpg (its completely free to play and download) its for mac, linux and win, its a open source program for you programers out there that want to help move it along faster in its evolution. Its still in development but very playable you can say that you are a beta tester almost. There are some RPG rules they like players to go by to set an atmosphere.

http://www.planeshift.it/

I'll have to agree on this one, it's come a long way and the guys that create it are dedicated to keeping it free. (I use to be actively involved in the underlying 3d engine CrystalSpace (http://www.crystalspace3d.org/main/Main_Page)).

CalebMOss
Aug 17, 2007, 09:12 PM

http://i205.photobucket.com/albums/bb198/peopledostuff/aeriagamespromo.jpg

bobber205
Aug 18, 2007, 12:46 AM
My boss plays LastChaos. :cool:

Yeah, he's cool. :D

$killa$
Dec 30, 2007, 09:42 PM
Just about all MMOs are based on paying a monthly fee as that is the business model that they all generally follow. The advantage to that is you get free monthly updates to the game mostly and the servers have good uptime.

Out of what has been suggested EverQuest is by far the best MMO available on the Mac. It may be older than World of Warcraft but it is 100 times more enjoyable. I played it on the PC for about 4 or 5 years. The Mac version has all expansions up to Planes of Power I believe.

WoW(World of Warcraft) is way better than Everquest. The graphics are better, the classes and races aren't as stupid, and it is just way more enjoyable. Either way u have to pay about $13-$15 a month so get the better game... World of warcraft. Also, over 9 000 000 people play WoW now and only 400 000 people play Everquest. Do the math. Most people would rather play WoW. u can try WoW for free at www.warcraft.com. You can also play a 14 day free trail on Everquest, so you can try bobth and you will see that WoW is much better than Everquest.

$killa$
Dec 30, 2007, 09:45 PM
snip

Is that game mac compatible?

barijazz
Dec 30, 2007, 10:18 PM
I'm 5 Months Video Game Sober W00t!!

ezekielrage_99
Dec 30, 2007, 11:53 PM
Dofus (http://www.dofus.com/):confused:

djstarrock
Dec 31, 2007, 06:41 AM
Well you could try Dream of mirror online but its only for windows.
Domo EU (http://www.gametribe.com/gt/domo.do)
Domo US (http://domo.aeriagames.com/)

iLao
Dec 31, 2007, 11:16 AM
Travian is a quite good MMORPG. It is VERY addicting.

www.travian.com

Recomend it! :)

Eric Piercey
Dec 31, 2007, 11:56 AM

ROFL. Do you think the people who maintain the servers, code the updates, administer the company, draw the artwork... 100's of people.. work for free? 13 bucks is what, 2 beers at the bar? One mediocre restaurant (Chile's et al) meal. One movie night (for one.) 4 gallons of gasoline. People gots to get paid, I'm sorry if you feel they should work for nothing so you can sit on your a$$ and be entertained 24/7. Oh yeh, what other form of entertainment is even there 24/7 for 13$ a month. Name one. (keep in mind you can only spank it so much. The games are there 24/7 barring server down times) Dollar for dollar mmo's are an insanely good value. As mentioned though, there is an opportunity cost which can go either way, that is you could either be spending or making money during gaming time. Whatever I digress... "good" and "free" are an unlikely combo.

boz0
Jan 2, 2008, 03:43 AM
While this previous post was a bit rude, it does highlight a point; the money you spend to pay for the MMORPG is NOTHING compared to the opportunity cost of the time you spend playing it.

Definitely. I usually consider gaming time to be time well spent, but playing a MMO is too exclusive, and will have a serious impact on your social life.

Regarding the price tag, it actually may be one of the cheapest ways to spend your time. A (very) casual WOW player will spend 20 to 30 hours gaming a month, that's like 50 cents an hour. I've known people with jobs who managed to play 100+ hours a month, which brings the price down to 15 cents an hour. Compare this to going to the movies or going out for dinner ...

Lastly, as far as non-fee based MMOs are going, Guild Wars springs to mind, as does Fury (entirely free), though those are definitely PvP oriented.

Cromulent
Jan 2, 2008, 07:25 AM
WoW(World of Warcraft) is way better than Everquest. The graphics are better, the classes and races aren't as stupid, and it is just way more enjoyable. Either way u have to pay about $13-$15 a month so get the better game... World of warcraft. Also, over 9 000 000 people play WoW now and only 400 000 people play Everquest. Do the math. Most people would rather play WoW. u can try WoW for free at www.warcraft.com (http://www.warcraft.com). You can also play a 14 day free trail on Everquest, so you can try bobth and you will see that WoW is much better than Everquest.

I played World of Warcraft for 2 months. I played EverQuest for 4 or 5 years. Do the maths as you so eloquently put it :).

boz0
Jan 3, 2008, 03:32 AM
I played World of Warcraft for 2 months. I played EverQuest for 4 or 5 years. Do the maths as you so eloquently put it :).

Quite simply, WoW's huge commercial success means that Blizzard could appeal to a lot more players than EverQuest ever could. So, as was pointed out, the maths clearly favor WoW. Also, while I never played EverQuest (and therefore won't comment on the fact that it would be more or less enjoyable), you can't argue with the graphics issue!

On the other hand, if you prefer EverQuest, good for you, the point is to have fun, after all. :)

AnotherMacUser
Jun 5, 2008, 12:06 AM
There are two free Mac MMORPG games not mentioned here, though the first isn't a traditional MMORPG: Second Life, www.secondlife.com. It is a huge game (takes space) but the graphics are very cool (in my non-gaming opinion), it's all other real users, and you can go to free concerts, dances (um, ok, virtual dances are a bit lame but whatever), areas of ill repute, supposed MMORPG communites though I haven't seen them, and it has war areas for those of you who want to blow each other up.
For those of you with simplistic gaming needs, there is also Pirates of the Caribbean online, the basic membership is free and premium is cheap, but you can play basic forever, you just can't gain skill past a certain level. http://apps.pirates.go.com/pirates/v3/#/news/currentnews.html
It is very simple and completely addictive. Create an avatar, run around and fight undead skeletons, sink ships with cannons after crewing up with other online people, join guilds so you always have friends, and complete missions to get better. Even maxing out your character with basic, you still have fun crewing up with other people and being a right scallywag! Just remember it's a DISNEY game so the chat is monitored and you can't use swear words or try to find out personal info about the other players.

luffytubby
Jun 5, 2008, 08:32 AM
Mythos is going to be the most amazing thing ever.

check out the new videos on youtube:O

Dimarco
Jun 5, 2008, 09:38 AM
more like Diablo 2. yeah get addicted again, i said it.

misterredman
Jun 5, 2008, 09:57 AM
www.pardus.at

sil3nc3
Jun 5, 2008, 12:04 PM
I too went on a hunt for a free Mac MMO, and here is what i found: PlaneShift=The ugliest MMO i have laid my eyes on for the size of the download. Not only that, but all of the In-game rules are just ridiculous.
I later found the fun of Dofus and Dofus-Arena, which have gotten me hooked onto the Final Fantasy/Fire Emblem turn-based battles. They have both left me with no choice but to also wait for Wakfu, which looks like will be lots and lots of fun.

Huntn
Jun 5, 2008, 12:34 PM
you might want to try WOW: The burning crusade and buy like 4 year long subscriptions to avoid monthly subscriptions...

The problem is you've just made a 4 year commitment. I can't speak for others, but the longest I've played a game is about 18 months.

Do they offer 4 year subscriptions, if so, how much? :)

Huntn
Jun 5, 2008, 12:39 PM
Mythos is going to be the most amazing thing ever. check out the new videos on youtube:O

I watched one of the U Tube videos (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yMV-9G09Rxw). Is there any camera control other than isometric eye-in-the-sky? Thanks!

luffytubby
Jun 5, 2008, 02:07 PM
I watched one of the U Tube videos (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yMV-9G09Rxw). Is there any camera control other than isometric eye-in-the-sky? Thanks!

I believe so, yes.

Open Beta should be very soon. then we can all try:)

Maul
Jun 5, 2008, 11:56 PM
Silkroad, Archlord, Maplestory LOL, um princeton tales? W.e it's called. Age of Conan is a new mmorpg that seems hot, but you have to pay.

katorga
Jun 6, 2008, 12:18 AM
I played World of Warcraft for 2 months. I played EverQuest for 4 or 5 years. Do the maths as you so eloquently put it

Same here. WoW just never held my interest like EQ did. It is too shallow.

luffytubby
Jun 6, 2008, 01:21 AM
Same here. WoW just never held my interest like EQ did. It is too shallow.

People always like the first MMO they really got into, more than anything else.

It was the same for me... my first real MMO I played for years was SWG. No game since has ever been the same.. even though SWG had tons of flaws and sucked in many ways:D

alphaod
Jun 8, 2008, 09:29 PM
I have Diablo 2, but game is really really old.

mcbuzzkill
Jun 9, 2008, 10:57 AM
Just buy an xbox 360. it may be expensive, but its only 50 bucks a year for online, after the first year it is a better deal than WoW etc....plus way better :) and Fable 2 will be out soon and that is going to be the best rpg to date!

Yoric
Jun 10, 2008, 07:40 AM
thx for the info, no everquest for me. minions seems smale scale but ill try it. does anyone know if boot camp +windows xp+ guild wars would work?

Yep, I've got Guild Wars. The Plat Edition with Eye of the North included. It's a damn good game! One you can keep returning to as it's free to play. And because there are no monthly fees it always seems to be fairly well populated. It's all instanced however. I'm not sure I would want it as my only MMO all the time because of this. You can't go wrong though, you'll definitely get your money's worth. That is if you're running Windows of course.

aerostatic
Jun 18, 2008, 05:52 PM
TwelveSky is an amazing MMORPG with no fees. I have been playing for a long time and have had really good experience. Try it for your self at 12-sky.com.
The people are great and its a great game with the best PvP system.
If u ever play my IGN is Suresh.

PooeySK
Jun 18, 2008, 10:48 PM
Some people who have the game use private (hacked) WoW servers. They are free, and you get what you pay for. Completely buggy and quite often offline. However, they allow me to do something my retail account won't allow me to do (besides start at lvl 60!): I can play with my kids without paying for two or three accounts.

So if you really can't afford $12 a month, you can google and find 'em. But caveat emptor: you will learn quickly WHY you SHOULD happily pay $12 a month.

ProstheticHead
Jul 20, 2008, 05:34 PM
You could always play WoW on a private server. They're a little buggy since they're an emulation of a real WoW server, but they are pretty much entirely the same as playing regular WoW. Some of them even have elevated rates and such so that you can level or gain gold faster. Best part about it, they're free to play on. I played on a fairly decent one a while back called BurningWoW. You could check one of them out if you're into WoW but not into paying.

bobber205
Jul 20, 2008, 07:44 PM
You could always play WoW on a private server. They're a little buggy since they're an emulation of a real WoW server, but they are pretty much entirely the same as playing regular WoW. Some of them even have elevated rates and such so that you can level or gain gold faster. Best part about it, they're free to play on. I played on a fairly decent one a while back called BurningWoW. You could check one of them out if you're into WoW but not into paying.

They are illegal and not allowed to be discussed on MR.

muskratboy
Jul 20, 2008, 09:17 PM
They are illegal and not allowed to be discussed on MR.

Well thank you mr. hall monitor. make sure you take down everyone's names, so you can tell the teacher when she gets back.

sadly, the fake WoW servers are pretty bad... buggy and unstable. duh, i guess.

Diablo 2 is still one of the greatest games ever. And now Diablo 3 is on its way... awesome! the trailers look super sweet.

ingouk
Jul 21, 2008, 03:02 AM
Yep, I've got Guild Wars. The Plat Edition with Eye of the North included. It's a damn good game! One you can keep returning to as it's free to play. And because there are no monthly fees it always seems to be fairly well populated. It's all instanced however. I'm not sure I would want it as my only MMO all the time because of this. You can't go wrong though, you'll definitely get your money's worth. That is if you're running Windows of course.

i have been playing Guild Wars for a while now on osx with cross over games. works fine.

MasterNile
Jul 21, 2008, 03:36 AM
only MMORPG i play is guild wars, even my wife plays it and she hasn't gotten into a game since tetris, yes it's instanced but that doesn't matter to me so much as me and my wife do missions/quests/farming/lvling either solo or together, but rarely with other people on the game, i just view other people as supporting the in game trading and would prefer not to be bothered by them when not in town (she plays on a 2 year old 17" imac and me on my white macbook both running xp and it runs fine)

In Game Name: Nil Death Scythe (if anyone wants to contact me, let me know you're from macrumors so i won't ignore you like i do all the other people that whisper me lol)

kahine
Jul 21, 2008, 07:32 AM
Excellent thread guys - some good suggestions overall that I will be checking into

I dont mind paying a monthly fee but dont mind the OP and others not wanting to - personal choice

But I am in the camp of where I finally want to do away completely with my boot camp partition and run Fusion only for business/server apps so these suggestions for Mac games are good to read over

Bigtime mmorpg'r from EQ beta to AoC/WAR beta and thinking of firing up Mac EQ just to enjoy the old game in its more original state along with WoW

I run dual monitors and have found that OS X seems to handle windowed mode games much better for the ones I have tried so can be going back and forth between tasks better under OS X -

Anyway just wanted to thank folks for suggestions

Whiteferret
Aug 30, 2008, 12:24 PM
im downloading minions of mirth it seems kinda cool

Huntn
Aug 30, 2008, 12:32 PM

You know, if you have a dedicated party, Guild Wars could be outstanding, but I too don't care for all instanced questing space. I really enjoyed meeting people out in the country side, of which there is no chance of that in GW.

im downloading minions of mirth it seems kinda cool

Not to rain on your party but I found Minions of Mirth to be rather primitive. I did not care for animations which show your character sliding across the landscape, legs not moving, when you first start running.