PDA

View Full Version : making a playlist of relaxing songs to go to sleep

gregjp48
May 27, 2007, 01:22 AM
When I'm trying to go to sleep I like to stick my ipod on shuffle.
the problem is when I'm just about to fall asleep, my headphones scream Ride the Lightning by Metallica into my ears.
I want to automatically make a playlist of soft music in my library.
How would I do this? Should I buy "Tangerine!" ? Would the bpm matter, or what do all those softer acoustic songs etc. all have in common?
Thanks a bunch :)

MacAnkka
May 27, 2007, 04:02 AM
You could use the comments field and smart playlists. Add "relaxing" or something like that to the comment fields of all of the songs you want. Then make a smart playlist that chooses the songs with the word "relaxing" in the comments field.

I do that with instrumental songs and it works quite well.

iLoveMyMBP
May 27, 2007, 04:29 AM
You could use the comments field and smart playlists. Add "relaxing" or something like that to the comment fields of all of the songs you want. Then make a smart playlist that chooses the songs with the word "relaxing" in the comments field.

I do that with instrumental songs and it works quite well.

What if the song files don't include "relaxing" are there any other ways for the smart playlist to reconize relaxing chilled out songs??

reubs
May 27, 2007, 07:53 AM
Go to iTunes, Ctrl+Click a song, select "Get Info", select "info", and then in the "comments field" put "relaxing" or "sleep" or something like that. It's all done by user preference.

cube
May 27, 2007, 07:57 AM
Try these podcasts:

Dave's Lounge
The Chillcast

They talk a little bit, but one can still fall asleep.

gregjp48
May 27, 2007, 11:29 AM
i wanted to have this done automatically, without going through all my music manually and selecting which ones are good for relaxation.
I'd use tangerine, but I must have tried it before because my trial is expired, and I don't want to buy it until I know it works well for the purpose..

Anyone know of freeware bpm analyzers?

WillJS
May 27, 2007, 12:48 PM
In iTunes you could just find songs you want to listen to at night and add them to a playlist.