Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 7, 2006
When I'm trying to go to sleep I like to stick my ipod on shuffle.
the problem is when I'm just about to fall asleep, my headphones scream Ride the Lightning by Metallica into my ears.
I want to automatically make a playlist of soft music in my library.
How would I do this? Should I buy "Tangerine!" ? Would the bpm matter, or what do all those softer acoustic songs etc. all have in common?
Thanks a bunch :)

MacAnkka

macrumors regular
Jun 30, 2006
Finland
You could use the comments field and smart playlists. Add "relaxing" or something like that to the comment fields of all of the songs you want. Then make a smart playlist that chooses the songs with the word "relaxing" in the comments field.

I do that with instrumental songs and it works quite well.

iLoveMyMBP

macrumors regular
Feb 4, 2007
New York
You could use the comments field and smart playlists. Add "relaxing" or something like that to the comment fields of all of the songs you want. Then make a smart playlist that chooses the songs with the word "relaxing" in the comments field.

I do that with instrumental songs and it works quite well.

What if the song files don't include "relaxing" are there any other ways for the smart playlist to reconize relaxing chilled out songs??

reubs

macrumors 68000
Jun 22, 2006
Go to iTunes, Ctrl+Click a song, select "Get Info", select "info", and then in the "comments field" put "relaxing" or "sleep" or something like that. It's all done by user preference.

cube

Suspended
May 10, 2004
Try these podcasts:

Dave's Lounge
The Chillcast

They talk a little bit, but one can still fall asleep.

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 7, 2006
i wanted to have this done automatically, without going through all my music manually and selecting which ones are good for relaxation.
I'd use tangerine, but I must have tried it before because my trial is expired, and I don't want to buy it until I know it works well for the purpose..

Anyone know of freeware bpm analyzers?

WillJS

macrumors 65816
Jan 6, 2007
In iTunes you could just find songs you want to listen to at night and add them to a playlist.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.