PDA

View Full Version : Another Leaking G5

cal6n
Jun 8, 2007, 11:36 AM
Well, about 2 weeks ago the unthinkable happened. My beloved G5 started making sizzling and popping noises and then it just died. Unplugging it and removing the outer cover revealed that the worst that could happen had happened. I'd been bitten by the dreaded G5 coolant leak. Still, I'd paid for Applecare and there was still a couple of months remaining so I was sure that Apple would see that the problem was resolved satisfactorily. I thought about starting a thread here so that my progress through the system could provide a focal point for discussion among those with similar issues and some entertainment for other forum members, but I decided to just let Apple do their stuff. That was 2 weeks ago, but now I'm not so sure. It's now looking like the saga may start to drag on somewhat and so I've decided to document my experiences after all.

My first step was to drop into the retail branch of my local AASP and have a chat with a manager there. He advised me take the incontinent beast to their service centre and the problem would be dealt with. Once I got there (by taxi, incidentally) it was a different story. The tech confirmed the leak and the fact that the machine would not start. He then explained that, as it was very likely that multiple parts would have failed, Apple don't allow them the discretion they would require to replace more than one part and I would have to work through Applecare directly. I phoned Applecare from my mobile, hoping for them to give their OK for the repair to be conducted locally but they were unwilling to deviate from their "1 component' guideline, although they arranged for a tech to phone me within 48 hours. Another expensive taxi later and I was back in my flat and starting to get frustrated.

The tech from the contractor Apple uses actually phoned that afternoon and arranged a pick-up for the next day, which also went as planned. He phoned back a couple of days later to explain that there was a long wait for the processor block, which was on backorder and that he'd also ordered a power supply. It looked like they'd be waiting a minimum of 3 weeks before getting the part and even then, there was no guarantee that there wouldn't be more damage. Now, a week or so to fulfil the terms of an extended (and paid for) warranty is reasonable but I didn't feel that being deprived of my Mac for at least a month was acceptable and I told him so (politely :) ). He suggested I talk to Apple and I said I'd do that.

Before talking to Apple, though, I did a little research on the internet and found that I'm by no means alone. Cooling system failures on this model aren't as rare as they could be, especially around the 18 - 24 month mark. Some labs running multiple G5s are reporting 15% - 20% failure rate. I rang Apple and asked for customer relations. I asked about the availability of the processor and was told that they'd expedite delivery to their contractors and that it'd get there within 48 hours. I also asked about the failure rate, what would happen if the new processor failed after 18 months and whether they'd extend the warranty to a reasonable level. A resounding "NO" was the reply. A standard 90 days from the date of the repair was all they were prepared to offer. Still, at least the part was on it's way and I'd get my machine back soon, eh?

A couple more days brings us up to the present. I've just returned a missed call from customer relations. The original estimate for the processor's availability was correct. Well, I say it was correct. It may well take even longer, for all I know. So here I am with just my lappy, with a minimum three more weeks waiting for my machine; a machine that may or may not be repaired at the end of that time; and even if it is repaired can I ever trust it not to spring a leak again? Still, at least I got the impression that I was talking to someone with a little more seniority at Apple today and she promised to keep me informed of progress. I think I've done all that I can and it sounds like Apple are taking their responsibility seriously, so is it reasonable for me to feel like I'm getting a raw deal here?

Sweetfeld28
Jun 8, 2007, 01:34 PM
I think i would of been very ticked also. Did you try demanding a non-liquid cooled, or newer G5?

What did/or are they going to give you?

leekohler
Jun 8, 2007, 02:25 PM
I'd be PO'd. I have the last rev G5 and if this happens to me and I go through what you just did, there will be a phone call to my lawyer.

Turkish
Jun 8, 2007, 02:31 PM
I'd be PO'd. I have the last rev G5 and if this happens to me and I go through what you just did, there will be a phone call to my lawyer.

Like that would speed things up.

Karpfish
Jun 8, 2007, 03:48 PM
I believe that someone here had the same problem and got a Mac Pro out of it. You shouldn't have to wait at least a month for a manufacturing mistake on apple's part. Call applecare and stand your ground until you get something.

yadmonkey
Jun 8, 2007, 03:57 PM
I believe that someone here had the same problem and got a Mac Pro out of it. You shouldn't have to wait at least a month for a manufacturing mistake on apple's part. Call applecare and stand your ground until you get something.

Yeah, polite yet unyielding is the way to go from here. I hope it works out for you, as it sounds like you've been very civil thus far and it's nice to see a victory for the nice guy once in a while!

vohdoun
Jun 8, 2007, 04:20 PM
Ouch. :(

Which G5 do you have cal6n, Dual 2.5, 2.7 or the Quad? I don't see any mention of it.

I'm trying to work out what causes the leak, as from looking at the hoses and such http://homepage.mac.com/thunderaudio/PhotoAlbum11.html everything looks just as tight as a car radiator. I dunno, but its not like serious pressure goes under it.

Even on my Motocross bike same sort of setup for the watercooled radiators but those get so hot you'll fry yourself. Though the only time they ever leaked was once when I wrecked the radiator. I physically knee'd the rad scoop on the way I crashed, where the radiator sits behind the scoop and busted all the fins/vertical pipes.

Perhaps the jubilee clips work loose and if there is any pressure at all perhaps thats when the leaking starts? Or unless its the water pump that leaks, perhaps the seals have went on it...

The amount of G5's that has leaked I don't think anyone has ever came back and actually described what went specifically wrong with it?

leekohler
Jun 8, 2007, 04:20 PM
Like that would speed things up.

I've had a few similar problems with other things in the past, she usually takes care of it with a phone call. The problem is solved in a few days at most. She's good. ;)

dpaanlka
Jun 8, 2007, 04:24 PM
My friend had a severely faulty iMac G5 that was a few years old and she got a replacement Core 2 Duo for free. I'm sure if you dealt with AppleCare in person they would patch it up better. Demand a new system.

cal6n
Jun 10, 2007, 05:50 PM
Thanks for your thoughts, people. My customer relations contact should be contacting me again tomorrow and, if there's still a long wait for the processor, then I think I'll suggest that a replacement is a more suitable fulfilment of the warranty than an extended wait for the repair.

@vohdoun:

It's a dual 2.5, one of the very first ones delivered in the UK. Unfortunately, I don't think we'll ever know what actually happens when these units go bad. The cover is fitted using an anti-tamper rivet. I certainly wasn't going to risk invalidating my applecare by fiddling with it.

*EDIT*

Woot! I received a phone call from my CR rep just before the keynote. The delivery date for the processor has been pushed back another week, so she suggested replacing my G5 with a Mac Pro instead of repairing it. I didn't even have to ask. There may be a delay as my G5 is at the contractors and my hard drive is with me. Her supervisor had left for the day, but hopefully it'll be OK for me to return the hard drive later. If not I'll have to buy a cheap SATA - USB2 enclosure in order to retrieve my data. I should know tomorrow.

Go, Apple!

vdonnelly
Jun 12, 2007, 05:32 PM
O my G-d....
I am not alone. I saw only one other mac person who this has happened to.

My G5 didn't start today. Took it to my Mac man ie. the one who sold it to me and yes he is a true Mac genius. As I lifted this tank off the back seat, about 3 tlbs of green fluid was puddle on my leather seat. I actualy showed him, he had never ever seen this.. Needless to say this is my only working computer. My old g4 lost the power to read or wright DVD's. I am a professional photographer who doesn't have $4000.00 extra to buy a "loaner" for a week of two or more. The apple store doens't have rentals or loaners.

Help I take it to the store tomorrow and don't know what to do. It sounds like this problem isn't a quick fix. Or that I would even want the computer back after this leak.. Ikes!! Any suggestions? This damsel is in extreme distress!!!

It would help if I had some info. Feels like I am taking my car in the shop and I don't want to get #$^&$##..

Thanks guys and gals

CanadaRAM
Jun 12, 2007, 05:39 PM
#1 - Don't panic

#2 - get on the phone with the Yellow Pages. Locate computer rental places and Apple dealers and find one that has a suitable machine and rent that. Apple will not cover the expense of the replacement rental but your business losses would likely be much more than the rental price.

#3 - BEFORE YOU SEND IT INTO THE SHOP get your Mac guru guy to pull out the hard drive with your data, and advise you on the best way to get this attached to a rental
- #3a buy a suitable Firewire drive enclosure for your drive to use it as an external, or
- #3b buy a large Firewire external drive (500 Gb or so) and Carbon Copy Clone your existing drive to that, so you can send the machine into the shop with the drive. (this might involve temporarily installing your drive into a different Mac.

#4 - Remove any non- stock RAM and hard drives from the Mac and send it in in as close to stock condition as possible.

#5 - Contact Apple re possible extended warranty coverage for coolant leakage.

? DO you have backups of your data

cal6n
Jun 12, 2007, 05:51 PM
My addition to #5 is this. Be polite when you talk to Apple and try to talk to "Customer Relations" if "Customer Services" can't help. Be the kind of person that the person you speak with would actively want to help.

I posted here a couple of days ago regarding my experience with a coolant leak. That situation is being resolved at the moment but I had bought Applecare. If you haven't, it might be worth your while enquiring if it's not too late to purchase it retro-actively.

I will say, however, that I feel your pain and hope that you get sorted.

Dont Hurt Me
Jun 12, 2007, 05:59 PM
The G5s have had many issues everywhere it was used. Steve gave it the boot quick!

vdonnelly
Jun 12, 2007, 06:09 PM
great advice!!!

thanks so much

vohdoun
Jun 13, 2007, 12:29 PM
The G5s have had many issues everywhere it was used. Steve gave it the boot quick!

You're only hearing about the unlucky ones that are failing. I'll bet there is plenty liquid cooled G5 machines out there that are still working fine to this day.

macenforcer
Jun 13, 2007, 12:47 PM
And all the voices said this would not happen. This is the future of all liquid cooled G5s I'm afraid.

cal6n
Jun 13, 2007, 01:42 PM
Well, from the research I've done, it doesn't appear to be an epidemic yet, but these aren't isolated incidents either. We'll get to see what unfolds over the next couple of years...

cal6n
Jun 15, 2007, 02:42 PM
A brand new 2.66 Quad with 1 GB RAM, bluetooth & airport has just arrived. Thank you, Apple!

Sweetfeld28
Jun 15, 2007, 08:49 PM
:eek: Wow, congrats on the new Mac Pro.

macenforcer
Jun 15, 2007, 11:43 PM
A brand new 2.66 Quad with 1 GB RAM, bluetooth & airport has just arrived. Thank you, Apple!

Kudos.

I had the same thing happen with IBM. I had 2 old thinkpad T23s that were falling apart. They had only a few months left on the 3yr warranties. IBM swapped BOTH of them for brand new T42Ps which at the time cost $4000 each. Also upped the ram to 2gb each for waiting for them to ship from japan. I ended up selling one for $3500 and still to this day have the other one. Has a 2ghz Pentium M in it. Still a fast computer. I was so freakin stoked. Especially since I bought those T23s off of ebay for $450 each. :eek:

Erasmus
Jun 15, 2007, 11:53 PM

Woo! Go Apple!

Did you have to fight for it, or did they just send it to you?

cal6n
Jun 16, 2007, 03:07 AM
Thanks, Guys. I'm stoked.

Woo! Go Apple!

Did you have to fight for it, or did they just send it to you?

They offered, but only once it had became apparent that they couldn't source the parts to repair my G5 within a reasonable time (7-10 working days). I had previously (politely :) ) expressed my concern that a repair could result in the same damage occurring sometime later: i.e. once my Applecare had lapsed. I don't think that was a factor, though.

vohdoun
Jun 16, 2007, 12:25 PM
Awesome stuff, cal6n. Will you be posting pics in the mac setup thread? :)

Sure we know what a Mac Pro looks like, but nothing beats the smell and experience of a new machine. :D

I had a feeling it would be a matter of time before struggling to supply spare G5 parts. I'm surprised its not even been discontinued completely by now. I just hope my G5 lasts for a long time, it'll be 3 years come summer 08 for me.

AdeFowler
Jun 16, 2007, 12:43 PM
You're only hearing about the unlucky ones that are failing. I'll bet there is plenty liquid cooled G5 machines out there that are still working fine to this day.
Mine being one of them :eek: (touches wood)

Nice one cal6n, really pleased for you. I have the same machine, two and a half years old, six months of AppleCare remaining... I'm scared. I wonder how Apple would compensate me for the 8gb of RAM I bought.

cal6n
Jun 18, 2007, 02:08 AM
Awesome stuff, cal6n. Will you be posting pics in the mac setup thread? :)

Fraid not. It'd take too long to tidy up... :)

I had a feeling it would be a matter of time before struggling to supply spare G5 parts. I'm surprised its not even been discontinued completely by now. I just hope my G5 lasts for a long time, it'll be 3 years come summer 08 for me.

They may well add it to their extension program in the future. Meanwhile, there are a lot of G5s that are running faultlessly.

Mine being one of them :eek: (touches wood)

Mine was one of the very early ones so. Sort of a prototype Rev. A...

Nice one cal6n, really pleased for you. I have the same machine, two and a half years old, six months of AppleCare remaining... I'm scared. I wonder how Apple would compensate me for the 8gb of RAM I bought.

Obviously, I can't speak for Apple but, if it came to it, they'd have your purchasing records and I think they'd have to match any RAM and upgrades that you'd bought from them. My CR rep said that their policy is to provide superior spec to the original purchase. For example, my NVidia 6800 GT was mentioned but I decided to keep it and return my G5 with the original 9800 in it. I'm selling it and waiting for the next NVidia card to be released, rather than use an ATI X1900. As for upgrades from other sources, I don't know. It wasn't something that came up. Perhaps I should have asked as I'd put 2 GB from Crucial and 4 GB from Cancom into mine. They're for sale too, to finance a RAM upgrade.

adream
Sep 4, 2007, 06:56 PM
hiya Cal6n, how are ya mate, just got your pm all looks interesting !

anyway needless to say after reading about your g5 failure i went and had a look at my dual 2.7 and lo and behold theres a damn leak...

out of warranty grrrr ! i have just contacted apple etc and hope someone will be very nice like they where to you :-)

theres no way these are isolated incidents so im sure we will see apple go for a repair scheme sooner or later, once the trigger point of failures reported is reached, fingers crossed

nothing like resurrecting an old thread :-)

adream

vohdoun
Sep 5, 2007, 03:52 PM
Do you happen to know if the temperatures for the CPU's were above normal, adream?

Oyseka
Sep 10, 2007, 01:43 AM
Hi all, My 19 month old G5 Dual 2.7 has now blown itself to bits with the coolant leak. The cost of the system new was R22,000 (AUS $3760) and the repair cost is R18,000 (AUS $3071). The response from Apple is ZERO. As we cannot get extended AppleCare in SA apparently we must not expect our "Quality" Apple products to last any longer than the warrenty. Let the buyer beware.:mad:

Rustman
Sep 10, 2007, 06:22 AM
Hi all, My 19 month old G5 Dual 2.7 has now blown itself to bits with the coolant leak. The cost of the system new was R22,000 (AUS $3760) and the repair cost is R18,000 (AUS $3071). The response from Apple is ZERO. As we cannot get extended AppleCare in SA apparently we must not expect our "Quality" Apple products to last any longer than the warrenty. Let the buyer beware.:mad:

That's pretty poor service. Whatever happens I think I'll be steering well clear of any liquid cooled product, Mac or otherwise. If Apple can't pull it off then I have no hope for other vendors.

vohdoun
Sep 10, 2007, 09:30 AM

Geez, talk about Apple royally shafting people. Thats seriously wrong. I hope this doesn't happen to mine. Even after the warranty is up.
I have just under 1 year remaining on Applecare now.

The 3 years expires June 08.

adream
Sep 10, 2007, 11:51 AM
update on my leaky dual 2.7 G5

i spoke to applecare UK today who passed me onto an engineer, who agreed to sort it out for me giving me an exception code (as the machine is out of warranty)

so i took it to our local apple repair centre and they said it would be fixed free of charge !

i'll keep you all posted as to the progress but so far so good

regards
adream

Apple Corps
Sep 10, 2007, 01:05 PM

Would you please expand a bit - you can not get Apple Care ???

vohdoun
Sep 11, 2007, 07:05 AM
update on my leaky dual 2.7 G5

i spoke to applecare UK today who passed me onto an engineer, who agreed to sort it out for me giving me an exception code (as the machine is out of warranty)

so i took it to our local apple repair centre and they said it would be fixed free of charge !

i'll keep you all posted as to the progress but so far so good

regards
adream

Interesting, where are they?

GoCubsGo
Sep 11, 2007, 07:20 AM
Awesome that you got a macpro but as you know...
Pics or it didn't happen.

adream
Sep 11, 2007, 07:46 AM
Interesting, where are they?

the applecare engineer on the phone (UK) is the one that authorised the repair and not my local apple repair centre

for your info i'm in brighton in the UK and the repair centre is Solutions ltd

regards

adream

Dominik
Sep 21, 2007, 08:48 AM
Hi everybody.

I'm also a victim of coolant leaks ! My G5 Dual 2.5 (2 years old) is dead :( :(
I created a database to register all breakdown caused by leaks coolant :
http://www.fusina.net/G5_coolant_leaks/index.php?lg=uk

Do it ! Register your G5 please.
The goal : to get a REP classment from APPLE or better, launch a class action against APPLE ! I'm furious to see that APPLE doesn't want to engage his responsability about their clients !

thanx

Toolhead
Sep 21, 2007, 11:22 PM
Hi,
I'm in the process of switching to MAC, and have been reading these boards for information.

I'm just wondering when the G5 first became available, if there was an option to get liquid cooling with it, or do they all have them? Does the Mac Pro have it, I don't see the option to customize it with liquid cooling on Apple.com

Thanks.

mrbrown
Sep 21, 2007, 11:41 PM
Hi,
I'm in the process of switching to MAC, and have been reading these boards for information.

I'm just wondering when the G5 first became available, if there was an option to get liquid cooling with it, or do they all have them? Does the Mac Pro have it, I don't see the option to customize it with liquid cooling on Apple.com

Thanks.

Not all of the G5's have liquid cooling. Only the faster, late Power Mac's have them (late 2005). All of the G5s have a somewhat advanced cooling system, though, because the PPC970 runs really hot.

The Mac Pro doesn't have this option, nor does it need it.

vohdoun
Sep 22, 2007, 03:47 PM
Only the Dual 2.5, Dual 2.7 and Quad 2.5 G5.

The 1.8, 2.0 and 2.3 are air cooled.

I wonder though, how hot the 2.3 on air would get under full load compared to the Dual 2.7 liquid cooled under load...

adellas
Sep 26, 2007, 08:44 AM
I have also had a leak in my G5 dual 2.5ghz. Bought November 2004, died sometime in March...tried local reseller ( i live in Greece so there is no Apple Greece and therefore no Applecare to extend warranty either ) but they wouldn't hear of it since it was past the 1 year warranty. Tried Apple Customers Services and Relations without any luck there either. Very disappointed. Comp has been used as a paperweight until this day. Cost to fix 1100 euros! for a machine that was 15 months old at the time and had an original cost of 3500 euros...:mad::mad::mad::apple::mad::mad::mad:

Moof1904
Sep 26, 2007, 08:59 AM
I have a Dual 2.5 with 3 months of Apple Care remaining. I'm scared that it's going to develop a leak after my warranty runs out.

I'm noticing on this thread and on some others that a large number of people with leaking cooling systems are not in the U.S. Is that coincidence or is there some difference in those G5s that were sold outside of the U.S., I wonder. A different production run, different batch of coolant systems. I dunno...

geekgirl
Sep 26, 2007, 09:34 AM
I have a Dual 2.5 with 3 months of Apple Care remaining. I'm scared that it's going to develop a leak after my warranty runs out.

I'm noticing on this thread and on some others that a large number of people with leaking cooling systems are not in the U.S. Is that coincidence or is there some difference in those G5s that were sold outside of the U.S., I wonder. A different production run, different batch of coolant systems. I dunno...

I can say that this happens in the US as well. I have, or rather HAD, a lab of 20 dual 2.7GHz G5s bought in July of 2005. 4 developed leaks within a month of each other. One was able to be fixed (we buy AppleCare on everything - worth it), and three had to be replaced with MacPros after problems with getting working parts (a couple of items were DOA).

I am also keeping watch over my remaining 17 machines of this model. AppleCare runs out next July. :(

vohdoun
Sep 26, 2007, 09:53 AM
I can say that this happens in the US as well. I have, or rather HAD, a lab of 20 dual 2.7GHz G5s bought in July of 2005. 4 developed leaks within a month of each other.

I am also keeping watch over my remaining 17 machines of this model. AppleCare runs out next July. :(

Thats scary, as I got mine in June 05. Same model. You think you do the right thing as I checked places about faults and such with these liquid cooled system before buying, which there was none I could find. Now theres plenty as years pass. :/

Can you confirm if the system got hotter when it began to leak? as I've been using the iStat widget (http://www.islayer.com/index.php?op=item&id=7) keeping an eye on the temps just incase. Just hope it lasts as long as it can even after when my Applecare runs out next June.

geekgirl
Sep 26, 2007, 11:18 AM
I can't really confirm that they got hotter just before they began to leak. The machines are used in a lab situation, and generally showed no signs of problems before failing.

Here are the symptoms that started off the whole mess:

Machine #1: Would not turn on. Sent to campus repair shop after exhausting possibile problems. I was first told about the leak problem. The machine was returned repaired the following week, worked two days and died again.

Machine #2: Died fairly dramatically. Tripped the breaker overnight. When I opened the labs in the morning, noticed a row of machines had no power. Noticed nothing out of the ordinary, so I unplugged a machine to check if a reduced load would work, then flipped the breaker back on, heard a huge snap, and it tripped again. Boss volunteered to watch for a visible sign of the problem, and saw a nice bundle of sparks issue from the back of a machine when I flipped it again. When I moved the machine, there was a nice puddle of fluid under it. That's when I checked all of the machines for leaks and corrosion and found...

Machine #3: Still worked, but the inside of the case had corrosion, and there was a small pool of liquid under the machine. Earlier in the semester, a student had spilled a small amount of soda near this machine. It is possible that this machine had already been leaking at that time, and that most of the fluid had already leaked. The service tech said that this one had NO fluid left in the cooling system. No idea why it kept working, except that the fluid missed the power supply. This one was eventually repaired.

Machine #4: Died about a week after machine #2. Just wouldn't turn on, and when moved, had fluid under the machine.

Machines #1, #2, and #4 were replaced after close to 2 months of waiting for working parts. This leak problem can kill multiple parts of the computer, some of which are not apparent until after another damaged part is replaced. The processors are usually dead, along with the motherboard. This is why you are seeing $1100+ repair bills. These are not cheap, even if purchased on your own. These were seriously messed up machines, and I am happy we had AppleCare.

Moof1904
Sep 26, 2007, 11:20 AM
I've looked online at the various pics of failed cooling systems, but they all see to show the effects after the leak has been ongoing for a while.

I'm going to start watching closely now for any sign of this failure. Are there subtle signs that it's happening or about to happen? Someone mentioned an increase in CPU temp. Is cpu temp a reliable predictor of failure or do the natural variations in temp make using cpu temp less than useful as a predictor?

Moof1904
Sep 26, 2007, 04:41 PM
Umm keep the side panel off and keep a watch on it...

I was hoping for a performance-related indicator of something amiss, as my G5 isn't in a position to readily allow access to the side panel.

If I rearrange things so that I can see into the side of the G5 would it be harmful in any way if I were to leave the metal door off and run it with only the plastic inner shield in place? That would allow me to keep a better eye on things.

geekgirl
May 1, 2008, 02:21 PM
I can say that this happens in the US as well. I have, or rather HAD, a lab of 20 dual 2.7GHz G5s bought in July of 2005. 4 developed leaks within a month of each other. One was able to be fixed (we buy AppleCare on everything - worth it), and three had to be replaced with MacPros after problems with getting working parts (a couple of items were DOA).

Aaaannnnnddddd... a year later.... just lost another two machines in the last two weeks! Had one die yesterday, and one a couple of weeks ago. Just got off of the phone with our IT service folks, and they confirmed that it had the coolant leak, even though I didn't see any fluid leaking. Apple is replacing that one, and the service guys said the one I just sent over will probably be replaced as well... Six out of 20, down for the count, and only one could be repaired.

Just wanted to let people know that these leaks are still a big issue. I have to get another 2-3 years use out of these G5s, albeit farmed out to various mini-labs...

xraydoc
May 3, 2008, 11:21 AM
I have a dual 2.5GHz G5 that my wife is using. I'd love this machine to have a massive coolant leak! A nice, quiet Apple replacement would be wonderful. Heck, I'd even take an iMac or a Mac mini in exchange. The thing sounds like our vacuum cleaner. Even when it was new it was loud as hell. I hate that machine.

Firefly2002
May 3, 2008, 01:06 PM
That's just sad. It's also weird, and confused me, since it was right after Apple (or I guess really IBM) dropped to the 90nm process from 130nm. Now yes, they now had another core, but they didn't exactly raise clocks much. I always felt that the liquid cooling was a disaster waiting to happen... and couldn't figure out why it was necessary.

I'm sure they could have found a way to drop the voltage a little to the point where it was still reliable and ran 10-20F cooler.. =/

m1stake
May 3, 2008, 01:39 PM
g5 < g4 < intel :p

Firefly2002
May 3, 2008, 02:07 PM
Heh.. let's not forget that Intel has put out complete garbage for 95% of its history... it's only in the last couple years that that's changed.

Sweetfeld28
May 3, 2008, 02:19 PM
I have a dual 2.5GHz G5 that my wife is using. I'd love this machine to have a massive coolant leak! A nice, quiet Apple replacement would be wonderful. Heck, I'd even take an iMac or a Mac mini in exchange. The thing sounds like our vacuum cleaner. Even when it was new it was loud as hell. I hate that machine.

I thought that the Liquid Cooled G5s were actually quite quiet. At the Design Firm were i work we have a 2.5 G5, like yours, and it is quieter than my Air Cooled 1.8 G5. However, the loudest Apple Computer i have owned so far, has been my old 1.42 Dual G4 [it was code named windtunnel, and for a good reason]; although it didn't really help that i had four HDs running in it.

geekgirl
May 12, 2008, 01:11 PM
Aaaannnnnddddd... a year later.... just lost another two machines in the last two weeks! Had one die yesterday, and one a couple of weeks ago. Just got off of the phone with our IT service folks, and they confirmed that it had the coolant leak, even though I didn't see any fluid leaking. Apple is replacing that one, and the service guys said the one I just sent over will probably be replaced as well... Six out of 20, down for the count, and only one could be repaired.

Just wanted to let people know that these leaks are still a big issue. I have to get another 2-3 years use out of these G5s, albeit farmed out to various mini-labs...

Lost another one last Friday, and found THREE more this morning... So, I have four machines waiting to be picked up to go to service, and two more already at service. We hit 50% failure for this model this morning (three replaced and one repaired last year). Not a happy camper this morning... Applecare runs out in July.... :mad:

geekgirl
May 13, 2008, 11:37 AM
Lost another one last Friday, and found THREE more this morning... So, I have four machines waiting to be picked up to go to service, and two more already at service. We hit 50% failure for this model this morning (three replaced and one repaired last year). Not a happy camper this morning... Applecare runs out in July.... :mad:

And you can add FIVE more to the list... had a couple of techs out this morning with flashlights, popping the CPU cover off to check for leaks, and we found five more... Already talking with our Apple rep (who is outstanding!) to see what to do...

My advice to anyone considering purchasing this model used: don't, unless it has been successfully repaired for this problem already.

vohdoun
May 13, 2008, 02:14 PM
Or maybe you've been unlucky and had a bad batch... that just happened to all go simultaneously, as it does not matter with any piece of technology you will always get faulty units. Doesn't matter how reliable they are.

You very rarely hear about the ones that say theirs are working fine.

My Applecare is up come sometime next month for my 2.7.

macenforcer
May 14, 2008, 06:09 AM
I said this 3yrs ago and going to say it again. Rubber bushings dealing with heat and radiators will only last about 3-4yrs tops. If your machine has not broken yet then its because you have not used it for 3yrs. The lab is running these machines non-stop therefore utilizing all 3yrs. Its common sense. These parts don't last very long. If I remember correctly the warranty from the manufacturer of the radiator was 2yrs or something. It just won't last. I would recommend replacing all the rubber and flushing the radiator just like a car would need around this time if it has not leaked yet. Just go buy a kit for a pc and use the parts and liquid. Might be worth a try although if I had a liquid cooled G5 right now I would just sell it. Its a slow loud machine anyways.

vohdoun
May 14, 2008, 09:49 AM
If your machine has not broken yet then its because you have not used it for 3yrs.

Trust me, I have. Come June 6. I may not have the processors at 100% if at all like in labs, but it gets used 12 hours a day since I bought it. More or less.

Its a slow loud machine anyways.

Maybe to you, but not to me. Not since Leopard at least, noise wise.

macenforcer
May 14, 2008, 10:45 AM
Trust me, I have. Come June 6. I may not have the processors at 100% if at all like in labs, but it gets used 12 hours a day since I bought it. More or less.

Ok, so thats 1.5yrs of use. Like I said.

Firefly2002
May 14, 2008, 12:24 PM
Maybe to you, but not to me. Not since Leopard at least, noise wise.

Lol, that was pretty obnoxious, huh?

Btw, Leopard actually slows down PowerPCs, while speeding up Intel CPUs.

vohdoun
May 14, 2008, 01:02 PM
mmmkay... _

geekgirl
Jul 1, 2008, 09:50 AM
And you can add FIVE more to the list... had a couple of techs out this morning with flashlights, popping the CPU cover off to check for leaks, and we found five more... Already talking with our Apple rep (who is outstanding!) to see what to do...

My advice to anyone considering purchasing this model used: don't, unless it has been successfully repaired for this problem already.

I'm adding to my tally: two more machines down today. One completely dead, one still living but with a nice pile of corrosion inside. :(

And we had finally just received our last replacement late last week (yes, apple replaced all of the leaking machines.... :D).

Two more weeks of Applecare left...

fujifilm54
Oct 21, 2009, 01:08 AM
Hi.

I wonder If I could get some help frpm this site and you guys on what I can do.

I found the site by google my problem.

The problem is a leak in my G5 dual2.7, a powermac which is about 4.5 year old.

It all started with a call to apple support to ask for a quote on the cost to repair the computer, or cost of repair parts, or what it also was to be the problem.- when it just died on me, found out later it was the coolent leaking.

The were so kind to tell me at once that they will fix my compuer for free,, it really triggered me to hear that- so it got repaired, they replaced nearly everything inside the computer except the harddrives.

However, it took me 5 days to wait for the repair to be done, Iam a photographer and normaly I have an inssurance which covers incidents like this that I can rent a temporarly computer to work on so i can deliver the jobs to my own clients.

However, despite to my innsurance company they claimed a force majeur that a rental computer will not be covered as it it is clearly Apple's resonsibility due a manufacure faulty once and my inssurance company claimed in the same time that they do not wish at all to have my computer covered in my insurrance for any future and that Apple shall replace it to a new one instead.''

I quoted all this to Apple and they do not want to help me any further then the repair they did, the repair was appreciated but in the end it came down to be a huge cost to me, rental computer for a 5 days propt with the Adobe CS package were very expensive-an exuse to my clients on that I can not deliver at the does not exist. And a computer that my innsurance company do not what to cover any more in the future happenings with it.

It is offcourse a computer 4 years old, but I do have a dell computer 10 years old or plus give a few years wich I run my accounting on, I didnt pay that much for the Dell- as more the Mac once were and the dell still runs flawless free of error.

Is there anything of knowledge and experince you guys can help me with to solve this with Apple!?

peskaa
Oct 21, 2009, 07:53 AM
That's not Apple's fault. They went beyond what was asked of them, and repaired your G5 for free when it was a year and a half out of any extended warranty coverage - they didn't have to do that.

Further, they fixed it in five days. That's fast. Seriously, getting a current model Mac repaired can take two weeks on occasions. You have no grounds to grumble at Apple's service.

Basically, your insurance company is an ass. Apple have no obligation to replace your out-of-warranty machine that they just repaired for free simply because your insurance company wants them to.

My advice? Get a better insurance company.

Chuck Fadanoid
Oct 21, 2009, 08:35 AM
If my G5 leaked and Apple paid for the repair, I'd be very happy. Especially since I live in Germany, where customer service is generally more along the lines of "you should be thankful we even allowed you to buy it".

tamvly
Oct 21, 2009, 08:58 AM
Liquid Cooled G5s quiet? Hardly.

I sold my G5 2.5 a few months ago and bought an 08 Octo 2.8 when they became "discontinued".

Minus the $ from the sale of the G5 the switch cost less than $1400. Best move I ever made as there were WAY too many reports of leaking.

All's well that ends well.

fujifilm54
Oct 21, 2009, 10:40 AM
Thank you for reply in helping me with the inquiry, howevr- I checked with several Inssurance companies and the inswar is same there as it is an praxis in the industry. I was also told that Apple did recivie money in a win of law in court of new york, and that the repair that was doned was not by the payment from Apple. Still, I am so disapointed in apple- can anyone tell me what to do?
ta

California
Oct 21, 2009, 08:42 PM
Thank you for reply in helping me with the inquiry, howevr- I checked with several Inssurance companies and the inswar is same there as it is an praxis in the industry. I was also told that Apple did recivie money in a win of law in court of new york, and that the repair that was doned was not by the payment from Apple. Still, I am so disapointed in apple- can anyone tell me what to do?
ta

What planet are you living on?

Seriously, why in the world would Apple help you out with your business expenses? Do you have some insane and wrongheaded sense of the law that because they just put out about two thousand dollars in parts and labor to fix your computer, this obliges them to further cover your living and business expenses while they were fixing it? I'm appalled at your false sense of entitlement.

What kind of professional does not have a back-up computer in this day and age? With a powermac, all you would have to do is swap your hard drive into a firewire enclosure and boot up your work in your spare machine.

You should be grateful to Apple, not whining.

Weird.

And whiny. Not a good combination.

What do you do again for a living that you think Apple should be insuring your computer down-time?

MacVidCards
Oct 21, 2009, 09:38 PM
What planet are you living on?

What do you do again for a living that you think Apple should be insuring your computer down-time?

hopefully not the Spell Checking industry.............

fujifilm54
Oct 21, 2009, 11:33 PM
If you look on tje surface it is very nice by apple to fix my computer, very nice as borat says. however, that repair did not cost apple a penny- the manufacture of the leaking pump who ever it is has to pay for the cost, thi is all public informtion. and the innsurance company knows this as you can call them expert on this, just call them up your self and ask them if they have a force majeur on these computers, it was never a question if this computer would break down nor not it was a question on when it will break down due to a manufacture fault. Just as easy to compare with a car, if it has a faulty it has to be replaced as a new part right away before it breaks down and not after. alling the innsurance company- the response it, get it replaced, apple is obligaied to- Im calling apple. they say they wont replace it. Do not call me with false entlment again-perhaps you are working at Apple, I am serious about this, can some ne help me?

peskaa
Oct 22, 2009, 03:27 AM
Bull.

Leaking G5s wreck more than the cooling system. Apple will have paid for a new logic board, new CPUs, and any other number of components. Delphi (who made the cooling AFAIK) won't have paid for that - they warrantied the cooling for 2 years, after that, it's Apple's time and money to fix.

The cooling system is a design fault, yes. However, not one that has been proven in court or openly accepted. Your insurance company "experts" are playing hard ball to reduce their own expenditure and wiggle out of paying your claim using any excuse. It is in their interest to NOT PAY you.

You have NO LEGAL GROUNDING to request a replacement from Apple. None. Neither does your insurance company.

And no, I don't work for Apple.

fujifilm54
Oct 22, 2009, 11:35 AM
Im not really asking for a new computer, I love this one, when it worked!

However, regardless what you say the answer is contraproductive from what news I recive around me.

When I spoke to aple they admited they won through a court and result in favour them cash!

But thansk for reply, any one with a answer to help my situation?

Bull.

Leaking G5s wreck more than the cooling system. Apple will have paid for a new logic board, new CPUs, and any other number of components. Delphi (who made the cooling AFAIK) won't have paid for that - they warrantied the cooling for 2 years, after that, it's Apple's time and money to fix.

The cooling system is a design fault, yes. However, not one that has been proven in court or openly accepted. Your insurance company "experts" are playing hard ball to reduce their own expenditure and wiggle out of paying your claim using any excuse. It is in their interest to NOT PAY you.

You have NO LEGAL GROUNDING to request a replacement from Apple. None. Neither does your insurance company.

And no, I don't work for Apple.

California
Oct 22, 2009, 02:04 PM
In two years when it breaks again, go back to Apple.

Quit whining and get back to work.

P.S. It did "cost Apple" to repair your machine. The parts, the labor, and the customer service time spent trying to explain reality to you are all actual "costs".

Do you understand how business is done in the world?

OrangeSVTguy
Oct 22, 2009, 02:46 PM
I would have kindly yet firmly asked Apple for a newer replacement Mac Pro. You think Apple will fix this if this were to happen again? Apple must have a large new parts bin unless the parts used to fix your G5 were refurbished.

Also any real "professional" would never be limited to just 1 computer.... This is between you and your insurance company and not Apple. Apple was more than nice enough and did their part in fixing your G5. Just be greatful!

fujifilm54
Oct 23, 2009, 11:01 AM
yep, I do know how business is done-every penny counts!

Thats why this is important to mee!

In two years when it breaks again, go back to Apple.

Quit whining and get back to work.

P.S. It did "cost Apple" to repair your machine. The parts, the labor, and the customer service time spent trying to explain reality to you are all actual "costs".

Do you understand how business is done in the world?

Sweetfeld28
Oct 23, 2009, 11:17 AM
I just had my PowerMac liquid cooled G5, completely rebuilt by Apple because of this failed cooling system, and yes it did cost them more to rebuild it than to just issue me a Mac Pro. They replaced 10 parts including the case itself, because the corrosion had started to eat everything by the time they decided to repair it for free.

I am not complaining that they rebuilt it, but in my mind its a no brainer. The total cost of all the parts they replaced on my computer plus the labor, would far out weigh the cost of the low end MacPro. I think it was just a poor business decision on Apple's part, for not just admitting that the faulty cooling system were at fault for so many users computers; but also for not taking responsibility and just replacing them out right for Refurbished Mac Pros or something of the sort.

Again, i am not complaining. I still quite shocked Apple completely rebuilt it, and am thankful that i now have my faithful G5 back, after waiting two and half weeks for it to be repaired.

fujifilm54
Oct 25, 2009, 10:46 AM
thank you, interesting sentence on the one of how the parts are, if thery are refurbished nor new parts.

ta

I would have kindly yet firmly asked Apple for a newer replacement Mac Pro. You think Apple will fix this if this were to happen again? Apple must have a large new parts bin unless the parts used to fix your G5 were refurbished.

Also any real "professional" would never be limited to just 1 computer.... This is between you and your insurance company and not Apple. Apple was more than nice enough and did their part in fixing your G5. Just be greatful!

California
Oct 25, 2009, 04:49 PM
Let me ask you straight out: are you a troll or are you just ignorant?

vohdoun
Oct 26, 2009, 02:44 PM
I just had my PowerMac liquid cooled G5, completely rebuilt by Apple because of this failed cooling system, and yes it did cost them more to rebuild it than to just issue me a Mac Pro. They replaced 10 parts including to case itself, because the corrosion had started to eat everything by the time they decided to repair it for free.

I am not complaining that they rebuilt it, but in my mind its a no brainer. The total cost of all the parts they replaced on my computer plus the labor, would far out weigh the cost of the low end MacPro. I think it was just a poor business decision on Apple's part, for not just admitting that the faulty cooling system were at fault for so many users computers; but also for not taking responsibility and just replacing them out right for Refurbished Mac Pros or something of the sort.

Again, i am not complaining. I still quite shocked Apple completely rebuilt it, and am thankful that i now have my faithful G5 back, after waiting two and half weeks for it to be repaired.

When it started happening did you notice the heat creeping up at all?

Sweetfeld28
Oct 26, 2009, 03:43 PM
When it started happening did you notice the heat creeping up at all?

The last temps i remember it running at before refusing to stay up and running, the temps read around 160 degrees or a little higher. But i would have to say that it used to run/hover around 132 degrees Fahrenheit.

So, i would have to guess that it did, but i can't say for sure though. Does yours seem to be around that range, or hotter?

vohdoun
Oct 26, 2009, 04:17 PM
Yeah it runs identical to yours, 132f/55c idle. Dashboard bumps it up to 154f/64c with 38 widgets running or so. Same temps when I got it new if I remember correctly. In fact now that I remember with Tiger it ran 113f/45c idle.

It's not dust by any means. I've been using compressed air cans every month or two or so to blow anything out.

rickvanr
Dec 25, 2009, 07:34 AM
Liquid Cooled G5s quiet? Hardly.

I sold my G5 2.5 a few months ago and bought an 08 Octo 2.8 when they became "discontinued".

Minus the $ from the sale of the G5 the switch cost less than $1400. Best move I ever made as there were WAY too many reports of leaking.

All's well that ends well.

My dual 2.7 was insanely loud. I think most of the noise was from my graphics card though, I had the GeForce 6800 Ultra in it. It was always loud.

Selling your G5 was perhaps a mistake..

My G5 2.7 died a couple weeks ago, called Apple, free repair, repair didn't work, now I'm getting a free 8-core 2.93 Mac Pro, 8GB RAM, and Radeon 4870.

Should be in the next couple weeks. The machine would be over 7k if I were to buy it (which I certainly can't afford), they're replacing a 4.5 year old computer with a 7k new machine. I don't understand it, but I'm estatic about it.

Anyone know if you buy a used G5, and it leaks you get the same treatment (free repair) from Apple, or is it only original owners?

vohdoun
Dec 26, 2009, 11:44 AM
My dual 2.7 was insanely loud. I think most of the noise was from my graphics card though, I had the GeForce 6800 Ultra in it. It was always loud.

It kicks in after a certain temperature. I think it's 75c or there abouts... I've only ever heard it a few times when the room was quite hot. Summertime usually.

Congrats on getting a new machine after 4.5 years.

My G5 usually sits about 55c = 133f, GPU about 64c = 148f. I've managed to store it in an area relatively cool that it barely hardly ever whooshes up and down. Come June I'll hopefully have had mine for 5 years.

Sweetfeld28
Dec 26, 2009, 12:06 PM
My G5 2.7 died a couple weeks ago, called Apple, free repair, repair didn't work, now I'm getting a free 8-core 2.93 Mac Pro, 8GB RAM, and Radeon 4870.

Anyone know if you buy a used G5, and it leaks you get the same treatment (free repair) from Apple, or is it only original owners?

Wow. Congrats on your replacement.

Buying a used G5, and then having it leak shouldn't matter. If it leaks, it is a safety hazard. The coolant used in these towers is basically like Automotive coolant. Its corrosive. Hence, why it started to eat away at the Aluminum of my case.

highres
Dec 26, 2009, 12:11 PM
A little worried about my 4.5 year old Powermac Dual 2.7Ghz (bought it in May '05), the last few months it has really started to act up, won't restart when shut down, kernel panics when it does boot, screen stays blank, fans on overload, etc. I've done every maintenance routine known to man including replacing the RAM, video card, and all hardware short of a new motherboard with no luck.

Applecare expired about a year and a half ago and I simply can't afford to buy another comparable system with 8GB RAM, Dual RAID 400GB drives, GeForce Ultra DDL, etc. I paid around $11K originally (price included $3K 30" Apple Cinema Display).

Looks like I am going to have to contact Apple and see what they recommend. rickvanr's posts are somewhat encouraging but I am probably screwed.

Sweetfeld28
Dec 26, 2009, 12:17 PM
Before calling Apple, try to inspect the inside of the case and see if you can spot any fluid leaks. The symptoms you are experiencing are some of the exact symptoms i had before i found the leaks in my case.

highres
Dec 26, 2009, 12:23 PM
Before calling Apple, try to inspect the inside of the case and see if you can spot any fluid leaks. The symptoms you are experiencing are some of the exact symptoms i had before i found the leaks in my case.

That's the odd thing, no visible leaks of any kind, I've removed fans, drives, and examined every inch of the inside (except inside sealed G5 processor units) thoroughly and replaced all the usual hardware culprits that Dual G5's are known for with no success. :(

quantum003
Dec 28, 2009, 05:56 PM

Welll.... About 6 months ago I bought a non-working 2.7Ghz G5 case from a university surplus for $100- it was missing quite a few parts, there was coolant leakage everywhere, logic board was visibly damaged. I fixed it up to the best of my ability and got it running regardless. Once it was running, it immediately started dripping a large amount of coolant, so I took a few pictures of the new leakage and called Apple. The first manager I talked to saw the pictures I sent over and he immediately offered to pay for the repairs; making an appointment for me at the Apple store up the street for later that day. The Genius at the Apple Store took one look inside the G5 and decided to give me a new Mac Pro on the spot instead. I did have to pay $250 for 3 years of Applecare though. :rolleyes:

I was completely honest with Apple about the G5, how I got it and what I did. I truly believe Apple is the greatest company in the world as a result of this experience (and others I have had like it), and I will be a loyal customer for life.