PDA

View Full Version : Aluminum Displays?

MacRumors
Jul 6, 2003, 02:30 AM
Kodawarisan (http://www.kodawarisan.com/ug/) claims that Apple's Displays will get a revamp with an aluminum/mesh look -- as well as preparation for a 30" model.

C14ru5
Jul 6, 2003, 02:54 AM
Aluminum finish seems logical, as the displays are meant for the pro line and not the consumer line. 30 inches? *Phew!* That's so big that it almost poses a problem: You won't be able to move just your eyes from one edge to the other, you'll have to move your head as well. Is that fun?

notmatt
Jul 6, 2003, 03:53 AM
Originally posted by C14ru5
Aluminum finish seems logical, as the displays are meant for the pro line and not the consumer line. 30 inches? *Phew!* That's so big that it almost poses a problem: You won't be able to move just your eyes from one edge to the other, you'll have to move your head as well. Is that fun?

No worse than having two monitors. In fact, probably a little better - and there are plenty of people that work with three on a regular basis.

negrito
Jul 6, 2003, 07:53 AM
the question is when will they be released because i just intended to buy a display this week.

Mr. Anderson
Jul 6, 2003, 08:10 AM
Ok, well, anyone got a translation on that? I saw only a few things, like G5 and such ;)

D

Wardofsky
Jul 6, 2003, 09:11 AM
Originally posted by Mr. Anderson
Ok, well, anyone got a translation on that? I saw only a few things, like G5 and such ;)

D

First paragraph:

Originally posted on http://www.kodawarisan.com/ug/
July 5th of 003 * as for new Apple Cinema HD Display as for display of
the next generation where aluminum mesh Apple is in the midst of
developing, it seems that adopts the mesh panel for the front part
with the frame of the aluminum material which can give community in
PowerMac G5 and the design which some days ago are announced.
According to information, also model line-up of current 17 inches, 20
inches and 23 inches is renovated, when there is also the preparation
of 30 inch model as a most significant type, it is thing.

Pete_Hoover
Jul 6, 2003, 10:06 AM
I've seen some stock people on TV that have like 5 monitors on their desk. THe 30" model would be good for them. I am going to buy the 20" model when I get a new computer in about a year. I just hope that prices don't rise with the aluminum revision.

MacFan25
Jul 6, 2003, 10:31 AM
I wondered if Apple would come out with Aluminum Displays or not.

But, 30 inches seems like it could be strenuous on your eyes if you are sitting a few inches from it.

G4scott
Jul 6, 2003, 11:21 AM
Aluminum displays seems like a logical step. I mean, the G5 looks a little weird next to one of the current displays.

A 30" display would really kick a**, though. It may be bigger than what most people need, but some people may find it useful...

BigJayhawk
Jul 6, 2003, 11:22 AM
July 5th of 003 * as for new Apple Cinema HD Display as for display of
the next generation where aluminum mesh Apple is in the midst of
developing, it seems that adopts the mesh panel for the front part
with the frame of the aluminum material which can give community in
PowerMac G5 and the design which some days ago are announced.
According to information, also model line-up of current 17 inches, 20
inches and 23 inches is renovated, when there is also the preparation
of 30 inch model as a most significant type, it is thing.
-----------

Well that clears things up a lot! :confused:

And people ask why we need 20-30 Ghz computers -- maybe so they can translate better in the future. heh.

tealcyfre
Jul 6, 2003, 11:22 AM
It is my understanding that the multiple market monitors traders use are, as a rule, a function of the proprietary structure of the information providers. I don't believe it would be possible to integrate the information on a single screen for that reason--though I am not expert in this area and stand open to correction.

evolu
Jul 6, 2003, 12:08 PM
I love japanese translations!

Imagine exposť on a 30"monitor!

NavyIntel007
Jul 6, 2003, 12:16 PM
I think they should integrate some speakers into the thing. After all, they've killed the apple pro speaker connection.

XnavxeMiyyep
Jul 6, 2003, 12:36 PM
30" display is not too big. I recently saw a 35" on eBay. But a 30" would be an awesome alternative to Dual Monitors. You could use it as your television.

evoluzione
Jul 6, 2003, 01:53 PM
30" would be sweet. I sometimes use a 29" Barco monitor and it's sooo nice to have that much screen real estate. maybe they could introduce a (very) slight concave (i think) curvature to the screen so it's always the same distance away from your eyes when you turn your head...

oh well, i guess i won't be waiting for the rev.II any more, i'mma have to get a new G5 with 30" screen :rolleyes: welcome back debt.

Dahl
Jul 6, 2003, 04:41 PM
I would consider it, I use two 17 inch monitors and "can't" work on one alone anymore. :D All the big apps begs for as much real estate as possible, Photohop and all the heavy 3D programs.
It would be nice too, if they were redesigned, they look odd with G5 and even the last G4's.

skymaXimus
Jul 6, 2003, 06:34 PM
yah, the new display will be 30in but the res will only be 1000x600. I love the apple displays, but why are the resolutions so low? I think the 15in and 17in powerbook resolutions are too low. i also think the 20 and 23 cinemas are too low for their size as well.

shawnjackson
Jul 6, 2003, 06:45 PM
30 inches would be nice... at work we have 5 g4 1.42 systems each with 3 23" displays.... a 30" would be quite neat.

SiliconAddict
Jul 6, 2003, 07:18 PM
Hmmm a new 30" would most likely drop the price of a 23" down into the sub 2,000 range. Nice. :) I donít know if I would be a big fan of aluminum. I think the current display casing is beautiful as is.

edenwaith
Jul 6, 2003, 07:49 PM
Originally posted by Pete_Hoover
I am going to buy the 20" model when I get a new computer in about a year. I just hope that prices don't rise with the aluminum revision.

Same here. When I finally was able to see and compare a 20" to a 23" monitor, the 23" was just way too large for my tastes and needs. So I said, "This monitor is too big." Then I took a look at the 17", which didn't seem too much larger than my 15" LCD display. But it still did not seem quite large enough to suit my needs. So I then said, "This monitor is too small." The 20", however, looked to be just right. So I ate it all up.

THE END.

Freg3000
Jul 6, 2003, 08:17 PM
I think we are getting ahead of ourselves. "Preparation" for a 30" Display could just mean Steve told the hardware guys to look into it. And what they ended up with is a big clunky thing that can't stand up, weighs 80 pound, has a resolution of 320 X 240, and cost $25,000.

Some preparation.....:)

P.S. It is just a theory.

AndrewMT
Jul 6, 2003, 09:06 PM
No one has mentioned that it would take forever to scroll the cursor across a screen of that size.

neutrino23
Jul 6, 2003, 10:10 PM
Once you start using such a large monitor it changes your world. When I first got a cinema display it seemed huge. Now it feels comfortable.

For some apps you want the large area. These are spread sheets, drawing programs, DVD player, to name a few.

In other cases, it is nice to have several apps visible at once. You can have a WP window open in one place with a database open elsewhere and an email client in the corner.

One thing I've grown to like is using Preview with pdf documents and lots of zoom. The rendering is so much better when you have 150% zoom. Safari is nice for this as well. With a large window you can zoom in a little and make all those ultra-tiny fonts look normal.

frozenstar
Jul 7, 2003, 12:06 AM
Originally posted by AndrewMT
No one has mentioned that it would take forever to scroll the cursor across a screen of that size.

Actually, screen size has no impact on how long it would take to move the pointer across the screen. The display resolution is what defines the amount of workspace you have.

bousozoku
Jul 7, 2003, 12:27 AM
Originally posted by BigJayhawk
-----------

Well that clears things up a lot! :confused:

And people ask why we need 20-30 Ghz computers -- maybe so they can translate better in the future. heh.

It's not a matter of having a faster computer, but having a translator that understands Asian language patterns better.

All the info is there though...17, 20, 23 inch models currently in the line will have the alumi mesh look and a 30 inch HD model will be added. They're still not ready for production.

Mercury
Jul 7, 2003, 12:28 AM
Originally posted by frozenstar
Actually, screen size has no impact on how long it would take to move the pointer across the screen. The display resolution is what defines the amount of workspace you have.

You know what he means. :p

In all seriousness, though, I would be extremely happy if they released new monitors-and cheapened existing ones-I'm trying to save up enough money for a top of the line G5, and I've decided I can't live without at least a 20" LCD, and that I *want* the 23". Holy Jesus, 30"...

shawnjackson
Jul 7, 2003, 12:30 AM
while that is true, it is assumed that when manufacturer a increases their monitor size the resoultion increaseses as well. for instance the 23" had a larger resolution then the 22".

this of course does not hold tru from mfgr to mfgr

jbomber
Jul 7, 2003, 12:32 AM
once you go big, you can't go back. i've had a cinema display for years now and i can't imagine going smaller. i'd certainly be interested in a 30"HD screen. Bring on the pixels!

Dahl
Jul 7, 2003, 12:56 AM
Originally posted by AndrewMT
Can't you just change the reaction time/speed of the mouse ?

jbomber
Jul 7, 2003, 01:22 AM
Originally posted by Dahl
Can't you just change the reaction time/speed of the mouse ?

Yeah, easily.

i doubt that's be a big concern. :D

dstorey
Jul 7, 2003, 05:09 AM
With a monitor that size...who needs to scroll?!? well if you did, more would show on the screen so you'd need to scroll less...problem solved

Chris Marks
Jul 7, 2003, 09:12 AM
I've been working on two 19" CRT's with 1600x1200 resolution for about two years now. I can't imagine working without the second one.

dstorey
Jul 7, 2003, 10:10 AM
I wonder if these will be rotateable to work in portrate mode...imagine how tall a 30" would be if this was the case...would be great for reaklly long documents and web pages though....

otter-boy
Jul 7, 2003, 11:50 AM
Hasn't anyone seen the Dell plasma screens that they offer as an option with their computers? This 30" screen might be an answer to Dell.
But, the apple display would be better in several ways. First, the Dell plasma screen is really a television screen that hooks up to the computer. Apple's monitor would be a true computer monitor. Second, being a television screen, the Dell plasmas have low resolution. While apple may not have a 3200x2000 resolution on the new 30" screens, they will probably have at least the HD resolution of the 23". Third, with low resolution, the Dell screen can't offer many windows at the same time. With an HD 30" screen, a user could have many apps open at once, good for video work, programming internet sites, or--the Apple digital hub experience. You could have movies (or television) going at the same time that you surfed the internet, wrote email, or did a Keynote presentation. If the monitor were mounted on the living room wall, someone else could watch a movie on part of the screen while you did some work on another part, or you could expand the movie to the full screen, and listen to the 6.1 audio thanks to the Apple's optical digital out. IMHO, this is as much a product meant to put the apple computer into each family's living room as it is targeted at the video/photo/sound/coding professional.

kenaustus
Jul 7, 2003, 01:02 PM
The first sign of the 30" was when Apple dropped the price on the 23" and left a "gap" at the $3,500 price point. Don't think that they will leave that gap unfilled too much longer, but wouldn't be surprised to see the 30" closer to $4,000. Maybe they will throw in a surprise for the $2,500 to $3,000 price point.

I think I will wait and see if the "old" 23" design is reduced in price when the new line is announced. It has always been sufficient to make me drool every time I look at it and I have a fear that the 30" would be too much for my old heart to take.:(

blogo
Jul 7, 2003, 03:36 PM
What about dropping the 17", and getting a widescreen 18" instead that would be cheaper than the current 17" :rolleyes:

Dahl
Jul 7, 2003, 03:38 PM
Yeah, all wide screens from now on would be nice.

frozenstar
Jul 7, 2003, 03:42 PM
Originally posted by kenaustus
It has always been sufficient to make me drool every time I look at it and I have a fear that the 30" would be too much for my old heart to take.:(

I fear that the 30" would be too much for my wallet to take. :D

MetallicPenguin
Jul 7, 2003, 08:32 PM
If they make a revision to the monitors, then they would most likely make new keyboard models too, right?

jbomber
Jul 7, 2003, 08:56 PM
yeah, new keyboards, new mice.

all in nice, shiny Aluminum...

Squire
Jul 7, 2003, 11:06 PM
Originally posted by otter-boy
Hasn't anyone seen the Dell plasma screens that they offer as an option with their computers? This 30" screen might be an answer to Dell.
But, the apple display would be better in several ways. First, the Dell plasma screen is really a television screen that hooks up to the computer. Apple's monitor would be a true computer monitor. Second, being a television screen, the Dell plasmas have low resolution. While apple may not have a 3200x2000 resolution on the new 30" screens, they will probably have at least the HD resolution of the 23". Third, with low resolution, the Dell screen can't offer many windows at the same time. With an HD 30" screen, a user could have many apps open at once, good for video work, programming internet sites, or--the Apple digital hub experience. You could have movies (or television) going at the same time that you surfed the internet, wrote email, or did a Keynote presentation. If the monitor were mounted on the living room wall, someone else could watch a movie on part of the screen while you did some work on another part, or you could expand the movie to the full screen, and listen to the 6.1 audio thanks to the Apple's optical digital out. IMHO, this is as much a product meant to put the apple computer into each family's living room as it is targeted at the video/photo/sound/coding professional.

Yeah, and from what I've heard, plasma displays aren't all they're cracked up to be. Apparently, they use loads of energy and have a short lifespan. (Somebody told me 5 years, but I find that hard to believe. 'Course he DID work for Samsung Electronics.)

Squire

Edit: Wasn't there a thread about this a few months ago?

Jerry Spoon
Jul 7, 2003, 11:24 PM
Originally posted by evoluzione
maybe they could introduce a (very) slight concave (i think) curvature to the screen so it's always the same distance away from your eyes when you turn your head...

That wouldn't increase the cost, would it;)

frozenstar
Jul 8, 2003, 12:10 AM
Originally posted by Squire
Yeah, and from what I've heard, plasma displays aren't all they're cracked up to be. Apparently, they use loads of energy and have a short lifespan. (Somebody told me 5 years, but I find that hard to believe. 'Course he DID work for Samsung Electronics.)

He was right. Plasmas draw a lot of power, have low response times, and have pretty bad burn-in effects. After five years, you don't even want one anymore.

aggemam
Jul 8, 2003, 12:28 AM
This company makes really stylish displays ... Apple should adopt :-)

http://www.eyegonomic.com

[Edit: forgot to add link]

Dahl
Jul 8, 2003, 01:33 AM
Wohooo
Cool looking danish displays. :)

MacBandit
Jul 8, 2003, 01:43 AM
Seems like I've read this same rumor at AppleXNews, SpyMac, and MacOSRumors already. I think they just recently one of them had more news on it saying that it probably wouldn't be released until this fall or winter.

Dahl
Jul 8, 2003, 01:54 AM
If that's true, it's not that long of a waiting time.

ConceptVBS
Jul 16, 2003, 02:20 AM
Originally posted by aggemam
This company makes really stylish displays ... Apple should adopt :-)

http://www.eyegonomic.com

[Edit: forgot to add link]

In case people are wondering who makes their LCD panels, its Samsung. :)

sinclairZX81
Dec 19, 2003, 04:13 PM
so anyone heard anything new on this?
I got a price list from eyegonomic but they want $4000 for their 24". not sure I can justify spending 4 gees on a display, so if Apple are going to go aluminium I wanna know, dammit! :D

meth31783
Dec 20, 2003, 02:08 AM
I read some rumor at appleinsider about some retailer being out of 17 inch studio displays and that he was told they were discontinued and were'nt being shipped to them anymore. heres the link.
17 inch display dicontinued (http://www.appleinsider.com/news.php?id=327)

I've saved enough for a 20 inch display right now and was gonna go get one this week, but with macworld being so close i think i'll wait it out just in case new displays are relesed and or the price drops a lot. Also it would make a lot of sense for the 17 inch to go widescreen like the 20 and 23 are. I'd love to see a 30" display but hate to see the price. Maybe if the price drops a bit on the 23 i'll pick that up instead of the 20.

wdlove
Dec 20, 2003, 01:12 PM
I agree that it would be prudent now to wait till MWSF. We have just a little over 2 weeks now. Another price drop would be nice. We are certainly due for an update to the Cinema Display. This 20th anniversary of Mac will be a great celebration with a lot of cool updates. A 12th Day of Christmas with real meaning.

agn
Jan 17, 2004, 07:34 AM
I sure hope so.... :D

it is odd... Apple has the best swivel stand in the industry, the "neck" of the iMac, but their displays are in the same form factor of 4 years ago (or more): bland, lifeless and static!

A picture frame in our desk...

What is needed is the concept of the iMac neck as a basis for a range of displays, perhaps in a brushed metal frame too.

that would be a attention grabber in the shops, and could attract more people to consider and buy Apple products (like iTunes and the HP iPod do....) and get the "feel" of the brand.

Why this hasn't been done before, I can't figure out...

:confused:

Grimace
Jan 17, 2004, 08:03 AM
I thought SJ was against the idea that computers and televisions would merge. A 30" seems like a step in that direction...

MacBandit
Jan 17, 2004, 12:48 PM
Originally posted by carletonmusic
I thought SJ was against the idea that computers and televisions would merge. A 30" seems like a step in that direction...

It would still have 2-3 times the resolution of any TV so techically no it would not be a television. Also I doubt they will ever put inputs on it besides DVI or some other connector based on it. So if you had a digital source and an adaptor for the screen you could use it to display a television signal but it would to small because of the low resolution of even HDTB in comparison of the resolution capabilities of a 30" LCD monitor. So the only way to put TV on a computer monitor would be through the computer and I hardly consider that merging since that's been available for 20 years.

Engagebot
Jan 19, 2004, 05:26 PM
30' monitors would be awesome. yeah they're expensive, but have you seen them? the apple displays are worlds better than anything else out there.

i have dual 19' Samsung LCDs at work, and they costed about 800 a piece at the time (we're talking about PCs here), but dual monitors still present problems, like video playback being slower on your second monitor and stuff like that.

these huge apple displays are like having the area of 2 or 3 monitors, but not having to deal with 2 or 3 monitors, plus they have amazing picture quality.

MacBandit
Jan 19, 2004, 08:44 PM
Originally posted by Engagebot
30' monitors would be awesome. yeah they're expensive, but have you seen them? the apple displays are worlds better than anything else out there.

i have dual 19' Samsung LCDs at work, and they costed about 800 a piece at the time (we're talking about PCs here), but dual monitors still present problems, like video playback being slower on your second monitor and stuff like that.

these huge apple displays are like having the area of 2 or 3 monitors, but not having to deal with 2 or 3 monitors, plus they have amazing picture quality.

30 foot monitors would be awesome.

Personally the expense of even a 23" monitor is exhobanant since I can exceed the screen area of a 23" by buying two 17" monitors for 1/4 the price. On a Mac with a ATI9800 which has dual monitor output there is no speed difference in the displays.

Also Lacie and Formac both makes LCDs that are equal to or better then Apples monitors in both display quality and over all adjustability and adaptability.

cmx08
Jan 20, 2004, 02:44 AM
the bigest hit this year could be the introduction of wide screen for all the mac.

Wide 17" or 20" Aluminium LCD
Wide 17" or 19" (maybe cinema) eMac
Wide 16" iBook

Apple was the first one to make the wide screen Notebook and let's hope that it will be the first one to make the Wide screen transition for all the mac.

can really ask anything for the 12.1 and 15" imac tho ...

jrv3034
Jan 20, 2004, 10:02 PM
Originally posted by cmx08
the bigest hit this year could be the introduction of wide screen for all the mac.

Wide 17" or 20" Aluminium LCD
Wide 16" iBook

Great idea! That would be an awesome way for Macs to be even more recognizable in consumers eyes. "Oh, yeah, Apple makes the widescreen computers. That's so cool... I want one!"

With HDTV coming, widescreen is becoming the standard for broadcasting and content creation. Apple should lead the charge yet again!:D

Finiksa
Jan 21, 2004, 02:18 AM
Originally posted by cmx08
Wide 16" iBook

Are you on crack?

Where do you expect Apple to find wide-screen CRT displays?

A 16" iBook is just too ludicrous to contemplate.

Engagebot
Jan 21, 2004, 10:46 AM
i agree. there will never be a widescreen CRT. ever.

i doubt very seriously we'll ever see a >14" ibook.

MacBandit
Jan 21, 2004, 11:23 AM
Originally posted by Finiksa
Are you on crack?

Where do you expect Apple to find wide-screen CRT displays?

A 16" iBook is just too ludicrous to contemplate.

What are you talking about? The majority of HDTV CRTs are wide screen not to mention Sony has a 24" widescreen computer monitor.

24" Sony (http://www.sonystyle.com/is-bin/INTERSHOP.enfinity/eCS/Store/en/-/USD/SY_DisplayProductInformation-Start;sid=8JYEKHCA5mwEMzCORd0OIz-OP-OAbStlpYM=?CategoryName=cpu_Displays_CRT_24%22&ProductSKU=GDMFW900&Dept=cpu)

wdlove
Jan 21, 2004, 06:38 PM
Originally posted by MacBandit
What are you talking about? The majority of HDTV CRTs are wide screen not to mention Sony has a 24" widescreen computer monitor.

24" Sony (http://www.sonystyle.com/is-bin/INTERSHOP.enfinity/eCS/Store/en/-/USD/SY_DisplayProductInformation-Start;sid=8JYEKHCA5mwEMzCORd0OIz-OP-OAbStlpYM=?CategoryName=cpu_Displays_CRT_24%22&ProductSKU=GDMFW900&Dept=cpu)

I would still prefer the Apple 23" Cinema Display! :)

That came from forgeting the shift key!:(

MacBandit
Jan 21, 2004, 08:44 PM
Originally posted by wdlove
I would still prefer the Apple 23' Cinema Display! :)

Who could pass up a 23 foot display!?

Personally I find CRTs to be way more flexible and you get a hell of a lot more screen space period. If I was just doing text all the time I would either have an LCD and a CRT or just an LCD.

Engagebot
Jan 21, 2004, 09:24 PM
Originally posted by MacBandit

Personally I find CRTs to be way more flexible and you get a hell of a lot more screen space period. If I was just doing text all the time I would either have an LCD and a CRT or just an LCD.

Did this make sense to anyone here?

MacBandit
Jan 21, 2004, 11:14 PM
Originally posted by Engagebot
Did this make sense to anyone here?

Sorry if that was vague. I just prefer CRTs for all forms of display other then text. LCDs rule text.

Photorun
Jan 21, 2004, 11:18 PM
And we're still waiting!

wdlove
Jan 22, 2004, 03:17 PM
Originally posted by Photorun
And we're still waiting!

I'm afraid that you are correct. I just can't believe that Steve will let the 24th pass without some new hardware.

MacBandit
Jan 22, 2004, 03:41 PM
Originally posted by wdlove
I'm afraid that you are correct. I just can't believe that Steve will let the 24th pass without some new hardware.

The 24th is still 2 days away no reason to get stressed over something that hasn't happened yet.

yamabushi
Jan 25, 2004, 12:58 PM
Okay...maybe on the 27th?

wdlove
Jan 25, 2004, 01:56 PM
Originally posted by yamabushi
Okay...maybe on the 27th?

I'm going to be at my local Apple Store at Chestnut Hill on Monday the 26th. So it would be nice if something happens tomorrow.

Mord
Jan 25, 2004, 03:09 PM
I hope apple keeps the old lcd look maby have two lines of lcd's old and new styles.

an aluminium display would just look weird next to a g4 cube :(

m,tz206
Jan 25, 2004, 03:33 PM
So don't sit a few inches from it.

Originally posted by MacFan25
I wondered if Apple would come out with Aluminum Displays or not.

But, 30 inches seems like it could be strenuous on your eyes if you are sitting a few inches from it.

yamabushi
Jan 25, 2004, 03:40 PM
Originally posted by Hector
So put it next to your new G5 Cube.;)

MacBandit
Jan 25, 2004, 06:27 PM
Originally posted by Hector
I hope apple keeps the old lcd look maby have two lines of lcd's old and new styles.

Why should Apple continue to make a line of products just because it matches something they don't sell anymore? Just remember there will be a lot of used older screens on the market that will match your cube once new screens come out.

voicegy
May 27, 2004, 11:07 PM
Just posted today, May 27th, 2004

http://www.engadget.com/entry/5844174639663617/

Either they bought into a fake (which they as much admit to the possibility) or this is right around the corner. This web site usually doesn't post junk, so I'm kind of surprised that they bit on this one. Looking at the pics, I feel right off the bat that they're fake (it sits too far down and looks like it would easily tip over, given no back brace and very short feet) - and the info states that they'll be "...introducing it at the next Macworld Expo." :confused:

(supposed "side view" shown below - story and other pics at link above)

HariSeldon
May 27, 2004, 11:53 PM
Not sure if this has been posted before :rolleyes: During my daily scouring of apple.com, I found an interesting picture on their Motion page (Apple - Motion (http://www.apple.com/motion/)). Take a close look at the picture of the G5 and the monitor next to it, or click on the link: http://a772.g.akamai.net/7/772/51/d02ce81aa33bcc/www.apple.com/motion/images/indexg5-panther04182004.gif

That doesn't look like a regular Cinema display to me ;) Here's to wild speculation and unfounded rumors. :D

Abu Reno
May 28, 2004, 12:35 AM
From what I've been hearing. THe 30" Display is not only CPU moniter but has an NTSC input!!!!! I hope this true. I can switch back and forth on my projects now. :)

JFreak
May 28, 2004, 03:45 AM
What about dropping the 17", and getting a widescreen 18" instead that would be cheaper than the current 17"

...or just make the 17" a widescreen model, maybe using the same panel as 17" imac and 17" powerbook. it could be cheaper, yes, but were it widescreen, the price would even stay the same.

Peyote
May 28, 2004, 01:16 PM
From what I've been hearing. THe 30" Display is not only CPU moniter but has an NTSC input!!!!! I hope this true. I can switch back and forth on my projects now. :)

The 30" itself is a rumor, then you're adding more rumors to that rumor about NTSC. I'm curious where you've been hearing that there will definately be a 30" and where you heard it will have NTSC

grneyedjay
May 28, 2004, 11:22 PM
Will it scratch as easy as the powerbooks?

also:
don't knock the G4 cube. it's my spaceship out of here....wait, no i'm thinking of the airport EXTREME base station...

homerjward
May 30, 2004, 11:58 PM
i dont know why yall are saying the 23" display is expensive. i was looking at prices for monitors of comparable size/resolution and it's actually the lowest price i could find. sony has one for ~2500, LG's is ~3000 and of course eyegonomics i wont even start on. coughridiculouscough. :rolleyes: ibm has an awesome monitor (http://www-132.ibm.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?catalogId=-840&langId=-1&partNumber=9503DG5&storeId=1) that's way better than anything apple would ever make but it's even proprietaryer than apple's. it only works w/ ibm workstations only w/ a certain quadro vpu, but anyway. apple has an awesome monitor for a good price so we should be darn happy with what we have and not complain that we dont have a 512x384 megapixel display that can be seen from space and costs 25 cence. you have to be realistic. apple is limited by lcd technology and pricing. however, there are oled's... :cool: