Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zushiba

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 17, 2007
My iPhone is acting a little strange, It seems to connect to my router however I cannot seem to load any webpage.

I CAN check my gmail perfectly :confused:

So I checked my router log and I found

Firewall log:
Friday Jun 29 20:39:01 2007 1 Blocked by DoS protection 192.168.2.5
Friday Jun 29 20:39:07 2007 1 Blocked by DoS protection 192.168.2.5
Friday Jun 29 21:31:34 2007 1 Blocked by DoS protection 192.168.2.5
Friday Jun 29 22:43:07 2007 1 Blocked by DoS protection 192.168.2.5
Sat Jun 30 00:13:05 2007 1 Blocked by DoS protection 192.168.2.5
Sat Jun 30 00:46:31 2007 1 Blocked by DoS protection 192.168.2.5
Sat Jun 30 00:46:55 2007 1 Blocked by DoS protection 192.168.2.5
Sat Jun 30 00:48:31 2007 1 Blocked by DoS protection 82.226.189.106
Sat Jun 30 00:50:28 2007 1 Blocked by DoS protection 192.168.2.5
Sat Jun 30 00:50:39 2007 1 Blocked by DoS protection 192.168.2.5

So other than whatever, 82.226.189.106 might be. The iPhone (192.168.2.5) is being blocked as a DoS attack???

Interesting, so I turned the Firewall off and it has so far made no difference, trying to connect to any website eventually yields "Safari can't open the page because it can't find the server."
after about a minute or 2 it will eventually tell me that it cannot connect to the edge network either.
I have full bars on my signal strength indicator and can find no other problems :(

EDIT: Set it as Virtual DMZ Host, no go :(

infraorang3

macrumors newbie
Jun 30, 2007
Weird, I had trouble getting on my friends wifi, but no problems with mine. I think it has to do with the router.

killerrobot

macrumors 68020
Jun 7, 2007
Other forums have said the encryption on the network is blocking the connection (one said WPA worked fine for him?). So you might want to try taking off WEP or WPA2 for a second (I advise turning it back on immediately after this experiment :) ) and see if that's the problem.

Dermot81

macrumors member
Jun 10, 2007
no problem connecting through wep on my router. In fact I'm typing from my iPhone right now

ichii

macrumors 6502a
Sep 20, 2006
I have no problem with my Linksys wireless router. Try resetting or power cycle your router.

offcamber

macrumors 6502
Jun 30, 2007
USA
I have the same issue. Tried 3 different levels of WiFi security (WEP, WPA ect...) and could not connect. Turned off all security and still could not connect. My laptop will connect without a problem. The phone will see the network at full signal but will never connect to any servers. It will connect with EDGE.
I'll be heading to an AT&T store this morning (if open) to see if they can get the iPhone to surf on their network. They did not have a demo phone yesterday so I doubt they have even used one after the mob bought them all Friday.

rclay24

macrumors newbie
Jun 30, 2007
Same problem

Lots of posts appearing at apple.com on this. Hoped for a solution here. Odd thing. If I connect via Edge to a website with wifi disabled, I can then go back to that particular website via wifi, but no others. Google maps won't work at all on wifi, nor did weather. Connected to each with edge, then turned wifi back on. Now I can go to the specific maps I connected to on edge, but no others.
Same with Safari, Go to amazon on edge, turn wifi back on, now I can connect to Amazon, try to connect deeper to a specific book, no go on wifi>Can't find the server.
I have a belkin router, no security as I live far from my neighbors. I checked my iPhone's IP address, and moved it on the router to the DMZ outside the firewall. Still doesn't work unless I connect to that particular page with EDGE first.
This is really strange.

azhagan

macrumors member
Jun 25, 2007
Hm... I am not having any problems like others have suggested with WiFi... Only problem I was having is with the sound of the keyboard lagging behind my typing.

elistan

macrumors 6502a
Jun 30, 2007
Denver/Boulder, CO
My experience:

I have a brand-new Apple Airport Express that I got at the same time I got the iPhone. I know it's working fine because two laptops are working off the wifi just fine.

1) Often the iPhone won't display any wifi networks at all - the busy icon simply spins and spins.
2) When it does, my new network is displayed but often with only one of the signal strength bars. The Airport is two rooms away - the laptops show full signal strength.
3) I can connect just fine - put in my password and a checkmark appears next to the network.
4) However when I attempt to connect to anything while in wifi mode with Safari I get the "can't find the server" message.
5) I was able to use wifi ONCE while I was sitting two feet from my new Airport. But after about 10 minutes of browsing, I started getting the "can't find server" message again and haven't been able to browse with wifi since. Even sitting two feet from the base I couldn't get my Airport (or any other network) to show up in the list.
6) I did tests using the base's default WPA2, WEP, and no security at all - not difference.

Seems the iPhone has problems in general communicating with wifi.

Twinkie

macrumors regular
Feb 9, 2005
Milford, MI
My iPhone is acting a little strange, It seems to connect to my router however I cannot seem to load any webpage.

I CAN check my gmail perfectly :confused:

So I checked my router log and I found

So other than whatever, 82.226.189.106 might be. The iPhone (192.168.2.5) is being blocked as a DoS attack???

Interesting, so I turned the Firewall off and it has so far made no difference, trying to connect to any website eventually yields "Safari can't open the page because it can't find the server."
after about a minute or 2 it will eventually tell me that it cannot connect to the edge network either.
I have full bars on my signal strength indicator and can find no other problems :(

EDIT: Set it as Virtual DMZ Host, no go :(
Are you using a Belkin Pre-N router, by chance?

They tend to go nuts about DoS attacks at the slightest little thing. I had one for about an hour before I returned it, after it was insisting that my VoIP box was trying to perform a DoS attack.

DMZ'ing it didn't work, and Belkin acknowledged that it was a problem with the firmware that was being fixed "soon".

seamuskrat

macrumors 6502a
Feb 17, 2003
New Jersey USA
I have Verizon with fios and the ActionTec router and it is doa with WEP.

I suspect these WiFi issues are router related. I have no issues with my other wireless devices, but it seems iPhone is more sensitive to certain wireless configs.

I still cannot get it to work with my ActionTec wireless with Fios.

Has anyone else connected with Fios and the Actiontec?

JNB

macrumors 604

They tend to go nuts about DoS attacks at the slightest little thing. I had one for about an hour before I returned it, after it was insisting that my VoIP box was trying to perform a DoS attack.

DMZ'ing it didn't work, and Belkin acknowledged that it was a problem with the firmware that was being fixed "soon".

Odd. I have the Belkin pre-N, and had no problems (other than mistyping my password about four times. Predictive text - hah! :p )

MY biggest problem at the router end (and it would be any router) is that my phones are 2.4 GHz, too. Every time a call comes, there goes my wireless! Solution? Visit the Uniden Online Store, a refurb TRU9485 (5.8 GHz digital), 2 handsets, $59.99! Needed new phones, anyway...

zushiba

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 17, 2007

It is indeed a Belkin Pre-N Router. Interesting to note, it will not allow my laptop to connect with any sort of security protocols enabled.

JonboyDC

macrumors regular
Jul 19, 2004
I have an Airport router set to WEP security. When I first tried to access the wifi, it rejected my password a bunch of times. It wasn't until I thought to try the hex key that it worked.

Twinkie

macrumors regular
Feb 9, 2005
Milford, MI
It is indeed a Belkin Pre-N Router. Interesting to note, it will not allow my laptop to connect with any sort of security protocols enabled.
Same here. It wouldn't talk to my MBP, and it saw VoIP traffic as a DoS.

My solution was to return it, buy a Buffalo Airstation, and install DD-WRT on it.

synth3tik

macrumors 68040
Oct 11, 2006
Minneapolis, MN
Mine works flawlessly on my wi-fi as well as the shop down the streets wi-fi. I think it might be a setting in your router as the iPhone wi-fi is pretty straight forward.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.