Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zushiba

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 17, 2007
I can get to the router setup screen via the iPhone but going anywhere else is out of the question, this has to be a router issue.

JW008

macrumors 6502
Apr 29, 2005
I have an Airport router set to WEP security. When I first tried to access the wifi, it rejected my password a bunch of times. It wasn't until I thought to try the hex key that it worked.

I'm having the same problem with the same setup.

What's the hex key?

edit: Nevermind---figured it out!

sduckett

macrumors newbie
Jun 30, 2007
possible work around?

I was haveing same problems. disabled WEP security, i know this isnt possible for all, but it works now.

possible work around. havent tried it yet but if one could set their computer to share the internet wirelessly and you could conect the iphone to the computer?

infosprt

macrumors regular
Jun 29, 2007
Temecula, CA
The problem is probably the WEP key.

I had to remove encryption from my home WiFi network to get it to work as a temporary solution.

-Al

sprocket003

macrumors newbie
Jun 25, 2007
iPhone just can't see any active networks

I have no encryption at all at home but iPhone doesn't even see ANY networks that are active nearby. Wifi worked for a bit yesterday but now can't see a thing. I have still found no solution and it seems the iPhone tech support is closed.

My About settings show that Wifi has a MAC address but it simply shows no list of available networks. Any solutions?

killerrobot

macrumors 68020
Jun 7, 2007
Just another idea for everyone that still can't connect even after disabling the encryption -- if the router is setup as "n", 802.11n, iPhone is not compatible with that, so you'll have to set it up to b or g.

Honestly, it just seems like some random selectivity by the iPhone to me. I'm not sure how to fix that one.

sammyman

macrumors 6502a
Mar 21, 2005
The problem is probably the WEP key.

I had to remove encryption from my home WiFi network to get it to work as a temporary solution.

-Al

Me too. It seemed to work last night, but now no luck. No password on my router for now.... :mad:

elistan

macrumors 6502a
Jun 30, 2007
Denver/Boulder, CO
Update - well, it's working with my Airport Extreme configured for WEP. I'd already tried that before, so I'm not sure what's going on. But, given the fact that I and other people have encountered issues with the iPhone not even detecting any wifi networks at all, I think there's more to it than router issues.

elistan

macrumors 6502a
Jun 30, 2007
Denver/Boulder, CO
Update - well, it's working with my Airport Extreme configured for WEP. I'd already tried that before, so I'm not sure what's going on. But, given the fact that I and other people have encountered issues with the iPhone not even detecting any wifi networks at all, I think there's more to it than router issues.

Uh, never mind, I spoke too soon - can't talk over wifi again. Sigh. :(

ShakingPaper

macrumors newbie
Feb 13, 2007
I have an Airport router set to WEP security. When I first tried to access the wifi, it rejected my password a bunch of times. It wasn't until I thought to try the hex key that it worked.

I can't get on my airport express network!...It's set up for WEP. It asked for the password and I type in the correct one and it doesn't take it...

What is the "hex key?" Someone for the love of god help!

Never mind - Typed in the like 20 (mostly) digit hex equivalent password that I found through Airport utilities and the phone recognized it...Thanks godness!

jangler

macrumors newbie
Jun 26, 2007

I can't get on my airport express network!...It's set up for WEP. It asked for the password and I type in the correct one and it doesn't take it...

In the settings area, click on the wi-fi button, find your network and if it is using WEP the following should work if it's an encryption password (hex) issue. Press on the name of the network you wish to join, not the blue arrow area. You'll get the page with security and password. In the security area, select "WEP hex or ASCII" instead of "WEP Password". Then press the enter password button. Now enter your password. It should work if your issue is the requirement of your password in hexidecimal form. I hope this helps. :)

lord patton

macrumors 65816
Jun 6, 2005
Chicago
sometimes will join, sometimes not

I too have a wifi problem, but I don't think it has to do with the password, because sometimes I get on, sometimes I don't. Sometimes turning the iPhone's wifi off/on will do the trick, sometimes not.

At any rate, wifi isn't on by default when I wake the phone, which is how I'd expect it to work. Apple will fix it... hopefully soon.

Gonzlobo

Suspended
May 9, 2007
Albuquerque
I'm also having problems with my wifi. I currently have 2 computers that work fine with an Actiontec gt701-wg, but neither iphone works.

I have tried the following:
* Removed WEP from the router, rebooted & tried surfing for unsecured wifi
* Tried both the network name (essid) & password in caps and small letters (on the router & iphones)
* reset the phones a couple of times, router too.

Frankly, it wouldn't surprise me if this router is just stupid (it is!). If anyone else with Acti*ntec routers had problems, please share your solutions.

Thanks

Heart Break Kid

macrumors 6502a
Feb 13, 2003
Toronto

Never mind - Typed in the like 20 (mostly) digit hex equivalent password that I found through Airport utilities and the phone recognized it...Thanks godness!

WHere do I find the hex key in my airport admin?

eddi818

macrumors member
Jun 25, 2007
I finally got it to work last nite. I have fios actiontec. The problem was the hex key. Rem to choose that. And apprently when u type in the encryption, it is caps. So i shift all they key than boom it work

kyRx

macrumors newbie
Jun 30, 2007
eddi818, you da man (or woman)!

I followed your lead, and voilá, problem fixed! I'm surfing and retrieving e-mails at lightning speeds. Thanks!

Peel

macrumors 6502a
Aug 30, 2004
Seattle
I have no problem connecting to my router with WEP activated. It's just that I can't access the internet! My router (Linksys WRT300N) shows full connection of the iPhone, I'm just not getting anything on the iPhone end.

eddi818

macrumors member
Jun 25, 2007
I have no problem connecting to my router with WEP activated. It's just that I can't access the internet! My router (Linksys WRT300N) shows full connection of the iPhone, I'm just not getting anything on the iPhone end.

are you sure you are connected to wifi? Check under setting - wifi- and see if there's a lock beisdie your wifi connection (if there is..that means you probably typed the code wrong..) ...also try to see if it works at other connection (or turn off your wep for a sec)..

dsjr2006

macrumors regular
Jun 29, 2007
Metro Detroit
All I had to do to get it to work (after much frustration) was get the ISP DNS server ip from my router status page (by logging into my router 192.168.1.1) then putting that ip address into my iphone in the dns field for my home network.

appleii2mac

macrumors regular
May 23, 2007
I too have a wifi problem, but I don't think it has to do with the password, because sometimes I get on, sometimes I don't. Sometimes turning the iPhone's wifi off/on will do the trick, sometimes not.

At any rate, wifi isn't on by default when I wake the phone, which is how I'd expect it to work. Apple will fix it... hopefully soon.

Is your router configured to broadcast its SSID? I've seen some people say that can cause a problem if it's not broadcasting the SSID, and I've seen it cause problems on other devices as well.

eddiewouldcode

macrumors newbie
Jun 30, 2007
are you sure you are connected to wifi? Check under setting - wifi- and see if there's a lock beisdie your wifi connection (if there is..that means you probably typed the code wrong..) ...also try to see if it works at other connection (or turn off your wep for a sec)..

is that true? i thought it means secure connection. can someone verify this? I try all variation of my hex password, i kept getting the lovk and no internet connections. btw way the lock is grey color.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.