PDA

View Full Version : Invisible Shield or other protective shields

Danziggy
Jun 30, 2007, 12:21 PM
Does anyone know whether the touchscreen on the iPhone works well if you put a scratch resistant shield on it? I'm a huge fan of the Invisible Shield (have it on all my iPod and Cells) but am concerned about whether this would affect fucntionality of the touch screen. I know these shields are available for sale, but was curious as to whether anyone has experience with this, or maybe asked the question at the Apple Store when purchasing

dougbrowne
Jun 30, 2007, 01:01 PM
i nyself dont have one for my iphone but my friend does and the touch screen seems to work fine :)

nospleen
Jun 30, 2007, 02:07 PM
It works fine. My invisible shield has yet to arrive. However, I bought a screen protector at the Apple Store and it works great!

hojoon0724
Jun 30, 2007, 04:24 PM
i bought a screen protection film from the apple store
the company is called power support

It's actually WAY WAY WAAAAAY better than invisible shield.

Just how better?
Oh nothing much except you don't have to worry about those tiny bubbles and all the water you have to apply and the squeeze things.

Seriously, this thing applies itself. You align the top and slowly let it do its work from top to bottom.

Another important thing is that invisible shield leaves a mark and you can tell you put something

This one is really hard to tell if you don't look at the edges.
It's as if nothing is there.

I'm seriously recommending this product for everybody.

drew0020
Jul 2, 2007, 09:18 PM
Are there any air bubbles with the screen using this screen? My local Apple store does not have it in stock...

katie ta achoo
Jul 2, 2007, 09:20 PM
Are there any air bubbles with the screen using this screen? My local Apple store does not have it in stock...

For the Powersupport screen? Absolutely none. It's a stiffer plastic and just kind of glides on instead of having to be actively rubbed on. It's held on not using adhesive, so there's no goop left on when you take it off. I love it.

drew0020
Jul 2, 2007, 09:23 PM
Where did you buy it? I would rather not order it online.

katie ta achoo
Jul 2, 2007, 09:24 PM
Where did you buy it? I would rather not order it online.

Heh.. I got mine at the Apple Store. :)

drew0020
Jul 2, 2007, 09:31 PM
They are sold out at mine and I dont see it listed on Apple.com You are lucky. By the time I get mine I will probably get a scratch on my screen :(

surefire09
Jul 2, 2007, 10:19 PM
i'm not worried if it will function but will it be as smooth to glide your finger... i have it for my psp and cell phone but i tried flicking my finger on it and its kinda hard... not as smooth as the original plasic protection on the phone

DIABLO2345
Jul 3, 2007, 10:33 AM
http://www.powersupportusa.com/

Strafe
Jul 3, 2007, 11:06 AM
I'm a big fan of www.bestskinsever.com. They just released their full coverage iPhone skin and it's on sale thru the 5th for 5.99. It takes a bit of finesse to put them on but the end results are amazing.

Jsingh
Jul 3, 2007, 02:36 PM
It works fine. My invisible shield has yet to arrive. However, I bought a screen protector at the Apple Store and it works great!

I've been debating the invisible shield, I've been reading about a "rainbow" effect on the film when viewed at an angle. I'm curious to see how it works for you.

DIABLO2345
Jul 3, 2007, 05:22 PM
hojoon0724 can you please post some pics..

Holyghost
Jul 3, 2007, 06:56 PM
Would anyone with a powersupport crystal film kindly take a pic or two of it? My iPhone should arrive friday and I'm very on the fence about my protection choices.

adamjohn98
Jul 3, 2007, 07:50 PM
Don't have my camera with me right now, but I can tell you that this protector is great. I am normally a huge advocate of shieldzone invisible shields, but this product is so much easier to apply, due to the static cling. If you mess up, all you have to do is attach a small strip of scotch tape to the film and lift it up so you can reposition it. Invisible shields have a sort of textured feel to them, while these power support films mimic the iPhone's screen in terms of smoothness and clarity. Another plus is that 2 films are included in the package.

chiefillini
Jul 3, 2007, 08:39 PM
Just called the store in Schaumburg, IL and them place one on hold me. Going tomorrow to get it before have to take it to a large party.

jstennis1591
Jul 3, 2007, 09:48 PM
The one from the Apple store is AWESOME....applies super easily and if you make a mistake, it comes up super easy

A definite reference

JW008
Jul 4, 2007, 01:22 PM
http://www.shieldzone.com/item_description/APLIPHONE.html

If anyone is getting it or already has it--do you have any impressions of it? Just wondering how multi-touch worked. I love my IS for my iPod and was thinking about getting it for iPhone.

speedballs
Jul 4, 2007, 01:47 PM
I'll probably buy it and put it on the back, but leave it off the screen. I'm not a huge fan of how the clickwheel works with my IS, it's slow and less responsive, I know they say it works fine but I'll sacrifice a couple scratches for a beautiful glass feel.

fenixx
Jul 5, 2007, 02:07 PM
Does the Powersupport shield have a back cover?

I'm more worried about scuffing up the back of the device.

itsallinurhead
Jul 5, 2007, 08:34 PM
Just got the invisishield installed. Is nice and does not affect the clarity of the phone at all. Plus now my entire phone is protected from scratches.

xiaoyu04
Jul 6, 2007, 04:01 AM
post a picture of your iPhone with invisible shield on please? :D

timmypv15
Jul 6, 2007, 07:51 AM
I love the invisible shield products, however, they are quite "tacky," meaning they aren't as smooth as glass. I ordered one for the iPhone, but after reading this thread i might pick up the one from the Apple Store, how much was that one?

CD3660
Jul 6, 2007, 08:31 AM
$16

http://www.powersupportusa.com/products/iphone_filmset.php

xiaoyu04
Jul 6, 2007, 08:51 AM
the invisible shields are tacky sure- but I am worried more about scratching the phone's metal parts rather than the screen itself...

bbplayer5
Jul 6, 2007, 09:03 AM
doesnt look like it protects the chrome at all...

xiaoyu04
Jul 6, 2007, 09:11 AM
well it covers most of the phone...:D which is good enough for me

rapps
Jul 8, 2007, 12:35 PM
I just got my invisible shield in the mail last night and installed it today. Looks and feels pretty darn good. Took a little bit of effort to install it properly, but all in all it wasn't too bad. Be careful with the flaps and make sure hair, lint, fingerprints are off of it. There has been no interference with the touch screen and it covers all but the chrome edges.

itsallinurhead
Jul 8, 2007, 01:03 PM
I just got my invisible shield in the mail last night and installed it today. Looks and feels pretty darn good. Took a little bit of effort to install it properly, but all in all it wasn't too bad. Be careful with the flaps and make sure hair, lint, fingerprints are off of it. There has been no interference with the touch screen and it covers all but the chrome edges.

Got mine installed by the shieldzone people. I must say, I am impressed. No bubbles and the surface does not impede the beautiful screen what-so-ever. Furthermore, fingerprints wipe off ever so easily.

Julian0714
Jul 8, 2007, 11:01 PM
Would anyone with a powersupport crystal film kindly take a pic or two of it? My iPhone should arrive friday and I'm very on the fence about my protection choices.

Here ya go, sorry it took a while, but I love the PowerSupport Film, it works great, and is easy to buy at the Apple Store and really easy to apply, you just line it up and place it on a clean screen and you're done.

http://home.triad.rr.com/julian0714/iPhone/Photos.html

0s and 1s
Jul 9, 2007, 10:07 AM
Got mine installed by the shieldzone people. I must say, I am impressed. No bubbles and the surface does not impede the beautiful screen what-so-ever. Furthermore, fingerprints wipe off ever so easily.

I noticed you're in SC. Which store provided installation, and how long did it take? What was the total cost, if you don't mind my asking?

Thanks!

ollie3856
Jul 9, 2007, 04:56 PM
Here ya go, sorry it took a while, but I love the PowerSupport Film, it works great, and is easy to buy at the Apple Store and really easy to apply, you just line it up and place it on a clean screen and you're done.

http://home.triad.rr.com/julian0714/iPhone/Photos.html
My powersupport film arrived from the apple online store today and I agree, it was a breeze to install (compared to numerous other devices I've used screen protectors for, which have always required a freakin clean room and surgical precision

whawhat
Jul 9, 2007, 05:59 PM
My powersupport film arrived from the apple online store today and I agree, it was a breeze to install (compared to numerous other devices I've used screen protectors for, which have always required a freakin clean room and surgical precision

i just got my powersupport film (after hearing so much positive feedback on this post) and i have to say i am really disappointed with the product. mine arrived already with marks and scratches......gonna try and get a refund

jbellanca
Jul 9, 2007, 09:57 PM

I just installed the Invisible Shield on my iphone last week and it's awesome. I've used them on all my other electronics for a long time and NEVER get any scratches. Totally the best screen protection available. Like any clear protection, they only protect from scratches and dings, though, not from being dropped. If you're worried about that, I think Speck makes the most durable cases.

staz
Jul 10, 2007, 09:28 PM
I just got my invisible shield... it covers all but the chrome edges.

Well, that's a problem! Does the PowerSupport Crystal Film (or any other films) protect the chrome edges?

Since the chrome area is beveled AND rounded, I would guess not.

nospleen
Jul 10, 2007, 10:26 PM
Well, that's a problem! Does the PowerSupport Crystal Film (or any other films) protect the chrome edges?

Since the chrome area is beveled AND rounded, I would guess not.

The one from www.bestskinsever.com does...

ecks618
Jul 10, 2007, 10:32 PM

Can you comment on their skin, that is an extremely low price for a full body skin. I was thinking about buying one and that would be great.

nospleen
Jul 10, 2007, 10:56 PM
Can you comment on their skin, that is an extremely low price for a full body skin. I was thinking about buying one and that would be great.

I have ordered numerous skins from them before. I actually installed the invisible shield a few days ago. Upon receipt of the best skin, I removed the invisible shield and installed the best skin. I could not be any happier. It covers everything, including the chrome. Don't let the low price throw you off. The quality is just as good as the I.S., and it covers more of the phone.

However, it does not have the lifetime warranty, but, you can but 4 of them for the price of the I.S.

ecks618
Jul 10, 2007, 11:53 PM
I have ordered numerous skins from them before. I actually installed the invisible shield a few days ago. Upon receipt of the best skin, I removed the invisible shield and installed the best skin. I could not be any happier. It covers everything, including the chrome. Don't let the low price throw you off. The quality is just as good as the I.S., and it covers more of the phone.

However, it does not have the lifetime warranty, but, you can but 4 of them for the price of the I.S.

Thanks, I will order from them. IMO think its ridiculous to charge over $15 for some clear film.

hotsauce
Jul 11, 2007, 12:58 AM

Thanks nospleen,

That's all the info I needed. I just ordered mine. Will report back with a review.

nospleen
Jul 11, 2007, 01:00 AM
Thanks nospleen,

That's all the info I needed. I just ordered mine. Will report back with a review.

You will love it... Installing it takes some patience though. My parents stopped by today to have me install theirs. I ended up installing theirs, mine, and my wife's today. Putting on one is bad enough, but 4, yuck!

Good luck!

hotsauce
Jul 11, 2007, 09:39 PM
You will love it... Installing it takes some patience though. My parents stopped by today to have me install theirs. I ended up installing theirs, mine, and my wife's today. Putting on one is bad enough, but 4, yuck!

Good luck!

So is it the bottom piece that covers the chrome bezel or the screen portion? How much coverage is there? Can you post some pix? I know I'm getting mine soon but I'm actually thinking about just getting the power support crystal.

nospleen
Jul 11, 2007, 09:54 PM
So is it the bottom piece that covers the chrome bezel or the screen portion? How much coverage is there? Can you post some pix? I know I'm getting mine soon but I'm actually thinking about just getting the power support crystal.

Here you go!

nospleen
Jul 11, 2007, 09:56 PM
And a few more... It even has a round piece that covers the home button.

hotsauce
Jul 11, 2007, 11:02 PM
nospleen,

Wow!!

Nice job on the installation. From what I see, BSE covers way more than the invisibleshield. Thanks again for the prompt response.

Sobe
Jul 11, 2007, 11:12 PM
How hard is it to remove?

I don't recall seeing much on that on their web site other than that it can be removed.

nospleen
Jul 11, 2007, 11:17 PM
I had to remove the IS to install the BSE. You can take it off, but it takes a good bit of effort. It does not leave a residue, and of course it cannot be re applied after removal.

ollie3856
Jul 11, 2007, 11:34 PM
yuck...not a fan of how that looks

nospleen
Jul 12, 2007, 07:56 AM

In person, it is even less noticeable. I would prefer to leave it naked. But, I would rather have the skin instead of scratches.

ollie3856
Jul 12, 2007, 12:57 PM
also concerned that it doesnt cover all of the chrome, which is where I'm most concerned

mrfett
Jul 12, 2007, 12:59 PM
thanks for the pics, just ordered mine. i use a BSE skin on my iPod and it's terrific. i'm a little nervous about the feel of it, but more concerned about scratches.

drew0020
Jul 12, 2007, 12:59 PM
I think it looks pretty good. Much better than scratches that is for sure.

mcdj
Jul 12, 2007, 01:10 PM
Power Support FTW

BryanLyle
Jul 12, 2007, 02:23 PM
The BSE / InvisibleShield will also add something else to the iPhone. Grip. I have had a Motorola Q for over a year and never even came close to dropping it. My iPhone was almost dropped twice in the first few hours.

hotsauce
Jul 12, 2007, 06:55 PM
also concerned that it doesnt cover all of the chrome, which is where I'm most concerned

Unfortunately, this is the best we have in a skin type case. This is more coverage than the invisible shield.

The alternative is a full blown case, which defeats the purpose of this thread.

staz
Jul 12, 2007, 07:56 PM

Yeah, it's aint pretty, but it sure beats some of the bulky leather crap out there. I have IS on my iPod, and if this is similar, you wont notice it after about a day.

Sobe
Jul 13, 2007, 08:54 AM
I just got my crystal film set from power support and all I can say is that if you get nothing else for your iPhone, you should get the crystal film.

You really don't even know it's there and it feels very strong.

I would highly recommend it.

roland.g
Jul 13, 2007, 10:31 AM
I have the PowerSupport Crystal Film (which comes in a set of two and can easily be removed) but I just ordered a BestSkinsEver, hey it was 9.99 incl. shipping. Not sure if it will affect my case at all - Griffin Elan Snap-In - or if it will have a different look and feel than the PowerSupport, but I figure if I don't like it I can remove it and throw the Crystal Film back on.

Sobe
Jul 13, 2007, 10:45 AM
yeah who knows the bestskinsever might be better than the crystal film.

Let us all know which you prefer and why.

FloorMatt
Jul 13, 2007, 05:29 PM
In person, it is even less noticeable. I would prefer to leave it naked. But, I would rather have the skin instead of scratches.

What are you using for screen protection? The one from the Apple store, or the BSE?

QCassidy352
Jul 13, 2007, 05:55 PM
I'll probably buy it and put it on the back, but leave it off the screen. I'm not a huge fan of how the clickwheel works with my IS, it's slow and less responsive, I know they say it works fine but I'll sacrifice a couple scratches for a beautiful glass feel.

that's what I did. It's very hard to install on the back because of all the corners that wrap around. I've been a big fan of the IS for a long time, but to be honest, I wouldn't recommend it for the iphone.

nospleen
Jul 13, 2007, 08:18 PM
What are you using for screen protection? The one from the Apple store, or the BSE?

I am using the BSE for the screen. It covers the whole front screen and has a separate piece for the home button.

damienvfx
Jul 13, 2007, 08:47 PM
Just installed the crystal film cover. All I really want on my phone. In about 6 months I'll probably take it off.

Am I the only one who likes a couple scratches on my gear? It gives it character. It also shows that you didn't just pull it out of your hip holster.

iHipster out.

-damienvfx

FloorMatt
Jul 13, 2007, 08:50 PM
I am using the BSE for the screen. It covers the whole front screen and has a separate piece for the home button.

Okay, thanks. I might just order one of these.

mugwump
Jul 14, 2007, 10:53 PM
Okay, so I ordered the BestSkinsEver kit and received it today. I think it looks good on the phone.

The #1 concern I had about using the iPhone was it slipping out of my hands, and now this product gives it some grab. The back of my iPhone now has a bit of a "wet look", with some shine on it. It actually makes it look new, though obviously the original finish is matte. The corners are slightly noticeable, but it looks a little "padded" now and I'm sure with some use in my pocket it will get blended in.

The application process was straightforward for me, though I really soaked the plastic in the water/soap solution and it took a while to begin to dry out and become attached to the sides.

I covered everything except for the glass screen, even the button. I can't decide whether to do the screen, since it's so smooth right now.

Oversoul
Jul 15, 2007, 06:40 AM
A few questions about the BSE:

Can anyone speak to whether the BSE film comes off easily (and whether it leaves any residue)?

How's the texture of the BSE film against the iPhone?

I currently have the Crystal film set on my screen and an inCase rubber case, but would love the BSE's added protection around the chrome bezel.

The Crystal film set is a nice hard plastic that feels very smooth and firm to the touch. By contrast, the images of the BSE on its product website make the film look a bit ripply or textured . . . .

One last question: Is the application of the BSE difficult? Similar to the Invisible Shield?

Thanks!

mugwump
Jul 15, 2007, 01:44 PM
Yeah, it looks clear when looking at it but if you catch some light on the very side you can see a faint pebble texture on it. It's still brand new for me but I would describe it more grippy than smooth and hard. For the back I actually prefer the grip, but YMMV.

One thing I notice on day one is either my pocket has a lot of lint, or the edge of the skin is attracting a lot of fuzz. It's a tad annoying, but I expect that will decrease soon with some use.

I haven't removed it or haven't installed the IS, so no answers there...

hotsauce
Jul 16, 2007, 03:48 AM
Just installed my best skins ever. It is amazing. I have the back portion that covers the back and the side chrome bezel and the top/bottom strips that cover that portion of the bezel. The screen, OTH, is covered with the PowerSupport Crystal Protector. This is the best combo imo.

Here's a tip for you, be very patient with the corner flaps. I think I used too much water; it took me a good 20 minutes for the water to evaporate before it stuck. It was very frustrating but very much worth the effort in the end.

roland.g
Jul 16, 2007, 11:17 AM
Just installed my best skins ever. It is amazing. I have the back portion that covers the back and the side chrome bezel and the top/bottom strips that cover that portion of the bezel. The screen, OTH, is covered with the PowerSupport Crystal Protector. This is the best combo imo.

Here's a tip for you, be very patient with the corner flaps. I think I used too much water; it took me a good 20 minutes for the water to evaporate before it stuck. It was very frustrating but very much worth the effort in the end.

I just got my BSE today. Actually it came to my work on Saturday which is where I ship everything, which really surprised me since I ordered it Friday. BSE is out of Denver, go figure. So I will install mine tonight or tomorrow.

I think I will start with the back and top piece and probably the home button and go from there. I may too leave the Crystal Film on the front so as to not get that glassy pimpled textured look and feel on the screen, but definitely like the idea of more grip.

Okay, so I ordered the BestSkinsEver kit and received it today. I think it looks good on the phone.

The #1 concern I had about using the iPhone was it slipping out of my hands, and now this product gives it some grab. The back of my iPhone now has a bit of a "wet look", with some shine on it. It actually makes it look new, though obviously the original finish is matte. The corners are slightly noticeable, but it looks a little "padded" now and I'm sure with some use in my pocket it will get blended in.

The application process was straightforward for me, though I really soaked the plastic in the water/soap solution and it took a while to begin to dry out and become attached to the sides.

I covered everything except for the glass screen, even the button. I can't decide whether to do the screen, since it's so smooth right now.

Did the shine to the back go away a little more after it dried for 24-48 hrs?

ChandlerXJ
Jul 16, 2007, 11:22 AM
i bought the film that they have at the apple store. came with 2, put the other one on my girlfriends iphone - the work awesome. I forgot it was there. She paid for 300 dollars of mine so i figured i'd share the second film. well worth it.

lostingamma
Jul 16, 2007, 11:56 AM
Can the BSE skin cover be used with the iPhone's dock? Also, has anyone noticed any scratching due to dust being trapped? I know that was a problem with other cases (I think it was Speck).

Thanks

briananderson
Jul 16, 2007, 12:11 PM
Can you get any of these sheilds (not cases) in a retail store that I can drive to and get today? Or do I have to order online?

-b

Tumeg101
Jul 16, 2007, 12:20 PM
I just got an invisble shield for my iPod vid, (a full body cover not just screen) and the wheel still works fine(for changing the volume and scrolling), but I don't know if that is that same as the touch screen,

modul8tr
Jul 17, 2007, 08:04 PM
How does the BSE cover the chrome? Are there separate pieces just for the chrome? Or is it attached to one big front or or back piece?

EDIT:

Actually it looks like Hotsauce covered this in an earlier post.

If I understand correctly, this is a 4 piece kit?

staz
Jul 17, 2007, 09:35 PM
Just put BSE on my iPhone. All pieces. Very satisfied all around. Haven't tried to take it off, nor do I intend to. A few notes:

Compared to the IS that's on my iPod Vid, BSE was easier to install, and generally seemed to be of better quality design (corner cuts fit over the cures more naturally) and material (seems more substantial).

No problem whatsoever with touch screen performance. If anything, I think BSE makes keyboarding a more "confident" endeavour.

BSE can't really cover 100% of the chrome. That said, the only parts exposed are the thin area that's touching the glass all the way around, and some slivers around the edges. This is my only beef, but I bet it's impossible to really make a strip that thin and have peple be able to manipulate/position it.

No problem docking the iPhone, although it is a bit tighter fit, but nowhere near difficult. No scratching problems during the install.

On a scale of 1-10, IS=7, BSE is a 9.

Rychiar
Jul 18, 2007, 02:20 PM
isn't the screen unscratchable?

damienvfx
Jul 18, 2007, 03:14 PM
isn't the screen unscratchable?

No. It scratches. Nothing is unscratchable. Almost a week later, and digging the crystal screen protector. My polarized sunglasses make it look pretty rainbowy though.

onelegtwoshoes
Jul 18, 2007, 04:05 PM
While I was at the apple store in Salt Lake City for the big release. Shieldzone who is headquartered out of Salt Lake, walked through the line giving everyone a coupon for a free full body shield. I picked mine up and installed it myself. The rep said it would take some effort getting it on and he is right.

After getting it installed, I absolutely love it. Everyone who uses my phone has no idea that its covered. On more than one occasion my phone has been in a situation where major scratches would have happened if not covered.

The touch screen works perfectly and doesnt mess up the video quality.

In my opinion its a good buy!

hotsauce
Jul 18, 2007, 04:39 PM
Wirelessly posted (Apple Communication Device: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/1A543a Safari/419.3)

How does the BSE cover the chrome? Are there separate pieces just for the chrome? Or is it attached to one big front or or back piece?

EDIT:

Actually it looks like Hotsauce covered this in an earlier post.

If I understand correctly, this is a 4 piece kit?

It has five pieces. The screen protector, home button circle, back piece (covers side bezel), top bezel strip, and bottom bezel strip.

modul8tr
Jul 19, 2007, 07:04 PM
Awesome, thanks for the update!

Found a new full body skin today. Anyone tried this?

http://www.bodyguardz.com/BodyGuardz_for_Apple_iPhone_p/nl-baip-0407.htm

Here's a review and more photos:

http://www.ilounge.com/index.php/ipod/review/10653/

I don't know if these photos were taken after the 24-48 hour drying period or not. But I'm not too pleased with the way it looks.

I'm still planning to try the BSE (just the back, top and bottom pieces) while keeping my Power Support film on the screen. I'll miss the matte finish on the back ... but better shiny than scratched and scuffed!

Daremo
Jul 19, 2007, 11:03 PM
I purchased the InvisibleSHIELD and applied it to the phone. It was actually really easy to put on, and getting the bubbles out was really simple. The "set up" time is rubbish. It looked the exact same a week later as it did 5 minutes after putting it on. The texture never goes away, and the "rubbery" feel to the skin drove me nuts. I removed the shield, and it comes off pretty easy, and leaves no residue after. I quick wipe with the apple cloth, and it's as good as new.

I hated this shield. Losing the ability to easily "glide" your fingers across a touch screen, built on finger gliding is silly to me.

I hear good things about the PowerSupport Crystal Film, so I'm hunting that down tomorrow.

Daremo
Jul 20, 2007, 07:07 PM
So I found the Power Support Crystal film from the Apple store in Oak Brook, Illinois today. I am 100% impressed with this. It is the easiest film i've ever installed, and lining up the top ear piece, and peeling back the shield, put it in PERFECT placement, and left NO bubbles.

I put the second on my wife's phone, thinking I must have been very luck the first time. This time, and got a small bubble I pushed out effortlessly with my finger, for another perfect installation.

The best part of this shield, is you can't tell it's on. The screen feels the same to your fingers, and works perfectly as well. I can't say enough about this.

If you're like me, and don't want the screen to have that feeling of rubber or tack, then this is a perfect solution!

Sobe
Jul 20, 2007, 07:31 PM
So I found the Power Support Crystal film from the Apple store in Oak Brook, Illinois today. I am 100% impressed with this. It is the easiest film i've ever installed, and lining up the top ear piece, and peeling back the shield, put it in PERFECT placement, and left NO bubbles.

I put the second on my wife's phone, thinking I must have been very luck the first time. This time, and got a small bubble I pushed out effortlessly with my finger, for another perfect installation.

The best part of this shield, is you can't tell it's on. The screen feels the same to your fingers, and works perfectly as well. I can't say enough about this.

If you're like me, and don't want the screen to have that feeling of rubber or tack, then this is a perfect solution!

Agreed, same experience here.

megax
Jul 21, 2007, 06:44 AM
BSE is pretty good but the back protector was trouble on some of the corners for me but i finally got it on perfect only to notice how bad my EDGE connection speed dropped so i took it off. Still got the screen protector tho.

roland.g
Jul 21, 2007, 07:44 AM

Yes Crystal Film is the best, IMO. I use it in conjunction with the BSE for the rest of the body. Have only had the BSE on for 24 hours but my EDGE seems fine. Will see if that has any effect. I've noticed that on a couple occassions even with good signal EDGE was terribly slow to unresponsive, so it is very likely that megax was experiencing EDGE network issues rather than an affect of the BSE.

meagain
Jul 24, 2007, 04:20 PM
Does the BSE feel hard or soft? Does it harden up as it dries or can you dent it with your fingernail? My only concern is removal and how hard that is to do. (assuming it doesn't ruin the phone or leave goop on it that's hard to get off)

drater
Jul 25, 2007, 09:24 AM
I just bought the bse and crystal film so I can test out the combination of the two. Will let you guys know what I think when I get them.

Xtgirl
Jul 25, 2007, 09:17 PM
I have a couple questions about the Power Crystal...

After applied, is there any chance dirt can get under the film and scratch the screen? I am guessing no, but wanted to ask...

Is there any change in touchscreen sensitivity or response?

Did you start applying from the top down? Thanks!!!

meagain
Jul 25, 2007, 10:45 PM
Xtgirl - I don't see how anything can get under the film. There is Zero impedance to touch/sensitivity. You really can't even see that there's something on the screen. Very silky - just like the glass.
It doesn't matter how you apply - top or bottom. I choose to ensure eveness around the bottom button because I felt that was more critical for appearance.
Besides, it's what? $14-19 bucks for 2 and can be replaced in the future just by peeling it off.

I ordered the BSE total body skin for the back/sides. It'll be interesting.

Sobe
Jul 26, 2007, 12:33 AM
I have a couple questions about the Power Crystal...

After applied, is there any chance dirt can get under the film and scratch the screen? I am guessing no, but wanted to ask...

Is there any change in touchscreen sensitivity or response?

Did you start applying from the top down? Thanks!!!

There's no way dust or dirt is getting under it unless it's there when you apply it.

The touch screen responds completely like nothing is on it. Maybe someone out there can tell the different, but I sure can't.

I applied from the bottom up but that is probably not the best way to do it because of dust. I would suggest starting at the top, that way if gravity causes any dust to fall while you are applying it to the screen, it will not fall on the inside surface of the film or the screen that is yet to be covered.

It's worth every penny.

Julian0714
Jul 26, 2007, 12:12 PM
I got this straight from the company. . .

"Thank you for contacting ShieldZone! My name is Nicholaus and I appreciate the opportunity to assist you.

In regard to your question, the original design for the iPhone didn't include any coverage for the chrome area (as you already noted). Recently, we updated the design of that invisibleSHIELD to cover the chrome, and also the front button on the iPhone. The shield that chrome coverage comes from the back shield wrapping around the iPhone, to provide more complete, and sturdy protection.
I hope this helps! Please feel free to contact me if you have any further questions or comments. Thank you for choosing the invisibleSHIELD. We appreciate your business!"

they have good customer service, but has anyone tried the new invisible shield with the chrome? how does it compare to BSE?

HeavyC
Jul 26, 2007, 02:16 PM

"Thank you for contacting ShieldZone! My name is Nicholaus and I appreciate the opportunity to assist you.

In regard to your question, the original design for the iPhone didn't include any coverage for the chrome area (as you already noted). Recently, we updated the design of that invisibleSHIELD to cover the chrome, and also the front button on the iPhone. The shield that chrome coverage comes from the back shield wrapping around the iPhone, to provide more complete, and sturdy protection.
I hope this helps! Please feel free to contact me if you have any further questions or comments. Thank you for choosing the invisibleSHIELD. We appreciate your business!"

they have good customer service, but has anyone tried the new invisible shield with the chrome? how does it compare to BSE?

Well, I just had a replacement Invisible Shield mailed out yesterday because there were some hairline scratches in my first one. Hopefully I'll get this new version.

meagain
Jul 26, 2007, 02:38 PM
The question is.... Will it cover the top front rim?
Actually, if these companies just made the glass shield piece bigger to cover the chrome, I bet that would work - course the edges might be an issue.

Xtgirl
Jul 26, 2007, 09:21 PM
I bought the Power Support Crystal film..I like it, but it was incredibly hard to get all the dust off before application. I think it looks quite good and just what you guys said...no problems with the touchscreen, but.....

What stress putting it on.....I don't know that I am completely happy with my application, but don't really want to do it again and have it come out worse. The holes don't line up as well as I thought they would...i thought they would look perfect, but they don't. With the Contour ISee on top of it, I don't really notice too much.

Joshua8o8
Jul 26, 2007, 09:34 PM
i have the crystal clear film set from power support as well. I really like it! I had a little difficulty setting it up but once i got it on i cant tell its on at all unless you look around the home button or ear piece. And even if you look at those two places all you can see is a little edge. I bought mine directly from power support and it came in a set from two. I ended up using two because it took me so many tries to get the first one on that dust started to get on the screen protector, and the little pieces of dust was causing air bubbles. On my second film it went on perfectly and i cant imagine not having it on there. Its good because the screen protector feels exactly like the iphones screen. Hope this helps... some how.

Joshua8o8
Jul 26, 2007, 09:36 PM
i have the crystal clear film set from power support as well. I really like it! I had a little difficulty putting it on. But once i managed it on i cant tell its on at all unless i look around the home button or ear piece. And even if i look at those two places all i can see is a little edge. I bought mine directly from power support and it came in a set from two. I ended up using two because it took me so many tries to get the first one on that dust started to get on the screen protector, and the little pieces of dust was causing air bubbles. On my second film it went on perfectly and i cant imagine not having it on there. Its good because the screen protector feels exactly like the iphones screen. Hope this helps... some how.

hotsauce
Jul 28, 2007, 05:25 PM
Wirelessly posted (Apple Communication Device: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/1A543a Safari/419.3)

why spend 30+ dollars for the same thing that BSE sells for 10 dollars? I know that they have lifetime replacement but I'll tell you, iPhone will change their form factor well before you go through 2 of these. With most people not ever getting their replacement, the markup on these pieces of plastic cutouts is astronomical. Save yourselves the money and go with BSE.

drater
Jul 30, 2007, 11:09 AM
so I just spent the last hour and a half trying to put on my bse. Let me tell you, I am terrible at this kind of stuff and unfortunately this was no exception for me. I have big hands (laaaaaaaaaaaaadies) and I just couldn't get it to work right for me.
Oh well, 10 bucks down the drain. But I still love the crystal film for the front, that one is easy! :) just wish I had a film for the back and chrome or maybe I'll have a friend apply it for me if I buy another one. :(

Dammit Cubs
Jul 31, 2007, 08:02 PM
so I went to the apple store the other day because my friend had to exchange his iphone for another one (someone pushed him into a pool). I picked up the crystal film they sell there. The apple lady put it on for me, she took all the dust off the and cleaned my screen before applying the film. I was so amazing how fast she did it, just slow put on the bottom part and like let's go and the air just pushes out. I have put on film for my creative zen and other consumer parts, I just have to say it was beautiful.

okay to the film, its awesome. Its crystal clear and most people don't notice. The best part is that it's not as finger print happy as glass so your phone looks better. I am very happy with my purchase.

CD3660
Jul 31, 2007, 08:14 PM
I have just ordered the equivalent Power Support product for my son's 5G video iPod having been a little disappointed with the Invisible Shield which was difficult to apply and is less than perfect to look at on the front, although pretty good on the back and sides.

I have high hopes for the Power Support which I may use just to replace the front (the back piece doesn't extend to the sides like the Invisible Shield does).

Sorry if this is slightly off topic.

CD3660
Jul 31, 2007, 08:18 PM
so I went to the apple store the other day because my friend had to exchange his iphone for another one (someone pushed him into a pool)...

Tragedy, I hope he was insured, or that the culprit has deep pockets!

fluevog
Aug 5, 2009, 12:40 PM
1. Invisible Shield (backing only)
2. Crystal Film (glossy) for face

Together you get the best of both worlds. The invisible shield actually covers up my old scratches on the back and protected my iphone from 2 drops already, plus, it's so thin it's hardly noticable.

The Crystal Film from Apple Store is virtually unnoticeable and your touch screen is fully functional, even with calloused fingertips like mine.