PDA

View Full Version : Wii outselling PS3 'Six to One'

Markleshark
Jul 3, 2007, 12:03 PM
In Japan. According to the BBC.

Nintendo's Wii console outsold Sony's PlayStation 3 in Japan last month by six to one, says research.

Nintendo sold 270,974 Wii consoles last month while Sony sold 41,628 PS3s, according to Enterbrain, a Japanese publisher that tracks console sales.

Nintendo has sold about 2.76m Wii consoles in Japan since the launch last December, while Sony has sold 970,270 PS3s since it debuted last November.

About 17,616 Xbox 360 consoles were sold in June.

Last week, Phil Harrison, PlayStation's head of worldwide studios, told US Game Informer magazine that pundits should not judge the success of the console based on the launch software line-up.

Struggled

He said: "You only have to go back to the games that launched PlayStation 1 and Playstation 2.

"If you took those few dozen titles and analysed them, you would never have imagined that either of those formats would have on to sell over 100m units each."

Globally, Sony has struggled so far to replicate the success it had with the first two PlayStation consoles.

The machine has also suffered from a lack of "killer" exclusive titles which showcase the power of the machine.

PlayStation fans are still awaiting some of the biggest franchises on the machine to emerge, such as Metal Gear Solid, Killzone 2 and Gran Turismo.

Linkerty Loo (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/6265368.stm)

Schtumple
Jul 3, 2007, 12:07 PM
To be honest, it's not like its major shock horror, I owned a ps1 & 2, but never wanted to get a PS3 (after they announced the price) I'm getting a xbox 360 and sharing my girlfriends wii, Sony's lost the market, i doubt there will be a ps4.

adroit
Jul 3, 2007, 01:57 PM
Sony's lost the market, i doubt there will be a ps4.

That's a shocking but entirely possible prediction. Personaly I'd prefer the xbox kick the bucket but I'm more than glad that Nintendo is finally regaining it's place.

Dagless
Jul 3, 2007, 01:58 PM
Unsurprising really. One of the best games consoles to come along since ever, against a hype train that crashed long ago.

steamboat26
Jul 3, 2007, 02:15 PM
Imagine how much the wii would be winning by if they got some killer games out. Mario Galaxy, Metroid, Brawl, I wanna see what happens when these games come out :D
It's been said before, but the PS3 was overpriced, used unproved technology, and sony seemed to assume they knew what people wanted in a console-serves them right :p

GFLPraxis
Jul 3, 2007, 04:08 PM
Sad, really :s Microsoft has genuinely created a good console and I find it hard to root against them for that; but on the other hand, Microsoft entering a market has ALWAYS caused the stagnation of said market, perhaps with the sole exception of PDAs (we don't know how Palm would have done if the PocketPC hadn't come along), and Microsoft always tries to monopolize once they get a dominant market share.

You just have to look at history to see that if Microsoft becomes dominant, they'll be even worse than Nintendo was at the beginning of the N64 era.

Yet, Sony has acted like Nintendo when they were dominant; they've been arrogant and made stupid decisions that alienate their userbase. This is the result.

If you went back in time two years I would have not been able to imagine such a scenario (me not wanting Microsoft to lose and Sony doing so badly).

Oh, and the Wii will be the next DS IMHO. The DS had few good games in the first year, but the sales beat out the PSP so all the developers came. After the second Christmas all the good games hit and sales took off. More devs came and by the third Christmas the DS owned Japan.

Well, we've had the early games drought. We also have a slew of good games coming this holiday season, and tons of developers are rapidly jumping on board as they look at the Wii's sales numbers. History will be repeated.

Dagless
Jul 3, 2007, 04:15 PM
History will be repeated.

What's funny is the army of Sony fans who said otherwise. That people don't mind paying that much for the system, or that everyone wants a next gen video player etc.
Plus all those who said the success of the DS was no indicator of how well the Wii will do :D

Finally, just to get it out of my system, the "Wii is a gimmick/fad" line is the best I've heard yet :D

JGF0x
Jul 3, 2007, 05:00 PM
That's a shocking but entirely possible prediction. Personaly I'd prefer the xbox kick the bucket but I'm more than glad that Nintendo is finally regaining it's place.

I doubt Sony would drop out of the videogame business so quickly. At the very least there will still be a PS4 but if it sinks like the PS3 then Sony may just end up pulling out or morphing the Playstation brand away from videogames exclusively and just turn it into a media center for all their other proprietary crap to play on. I disagree with your statement about the Xbox kicking the bucket immensely. I'm really not a fan of Windows or Microsoft's handling of the monopoly they gained over operating systems but there are tremendous pockets of innovation within the juggernaut. For example, the Mac unit of Microsoft are about as hardcore of Mac fans as you can get and without them we'd be without a decent word processor let alone a number of other Office products. Also, I'd suggest reading Dean Takahashi's book Opening The Xbox (http://www.amazon.com/Opening-Xbox-Microsofts-Entertainment-Revolution/dp/0761537082/ref=pd_bbs_sr_2/002-7441259-3480848?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1183499687&sr=8-2) which profiles the difficulties the team behind Xbox had in getting Microsoft to approve it but finally did win approval. Microsoft was also the first to bring a usable online gaming network to consoles with Xbox Live which has changed the face of videogaming. They might not be Apple but they are innovative in some ways.

By the way, I was a little surprised that the Wii has managed to be so successful but that's what happens when you take chances against the "norm".

MacRumorUser
Jul 3, 2007, 05:03 PM
Imagine how much the wii would be winning by if they got some killer games out. Mario Galaxy, Metroid, Brawl, I wanna see what happens when these games come out :D

tbh the prospect of these games is the only thing that's keeping me from selling my Wii off. Kinda wish I had waited to buy the wii - like I did with the DS.

My DS get's played everyday (more brain-age, tetris and clubhouse games mostly), whilst my Wii hasn't been switched on for weeks...

Coded-Dude
Jul 3, 2007, 05:29 PM
*reads classic fable; The Tortoise and the Hare*

Oh N03Z......Sony are teh D00M3D!
They hype train crashed, and their console is too expensive!
They should just pull out now and hand the victory over!

You guys crack me up! :p

takao
Jul 3, 2007, 06:25 PM
Coded_Dude: after the same amount of time the gamecube which was a failure in japan had already sold 500k more in japan
but the ps3 sold more than the DC did in the same timeframe by a whole what ? 150k ?

sure it's only one region but it's a very important region in regard to software developer and going from selling 6 times as much hardware to selling 6 times less hardware isn't going to be turned around by magic or brandname alone

what heavy hitters has the ps3 up in the _next half year_ for the japanese market ? while soem good games here and there .. the big hitters like dragon quest and final fantasy main series are simply not there ready for the time frame

Dagless
Jul 3, 2007, 06:33 PM

LOL. Don't tell me, that after all that "wait until E3 2005", then the following E3's, then the launch, then Xmas, then until Motorstorm, then until F1, Virtua Fighter... We're now at "wait till an unknown time in the future". Out of milestones already? :D

tim2006
Jul 3, 2007, 07:30 PM
in addition in my area the elite is sold out and PS3 are everywhere. ps3 is not doing well.

zelmo
Jul 3, 2007, 08:17 PM
I don't think any reasonable gaming fan can look at the PS3 launch and think that Sony has positioned themselves exactly where they wanted to be after almost 8 months [since US launch]. That being said, I don't think the final chapter has been written for either Sony's demise or Nintendo's re-ascension.
I have all three consoles, and I'm playing the 360 most right now. Both the Wii and the PS3 have some stellar titles coming out starting in the next month and running straight through the holiday season and frankly, they both need them badly. Niether system has enough decent games to buy/play.

I'll be quite surprised if, at the dawn of the next gen, all three players are not still kicking.

GFLPraxis
Jul 3, 2007, 08:19 PM
I doubt Sony would drop out of the videogame business so quickly. At the very least there will still be a PS4 but if it sinks like the PS3 then Sony may just end up pulling out or morphing the Playstation brand away from videogames exclusively and just turn it into a media center for all their other proprietary crap to play on. I disagree with your statement about the Xbox kicking the bucket immensely. I'm really not a fan of Windows or Microsoft's handling of the monopoly they gained over operating systems but there are tremendous pockets of innovation within the juggernaut. For example, the Mac unit of Microsoft are about as hardcore of Mac fans as you can get and without them we'd be without a decent word processor let alone a number of other Office products. Also, I'd suggest reading Dean Takahashi's book Opening The Xbox (http://www.amazon.com/Opening-Xbox-Microsofts-Entertainment-Revolution/dp/0761537082/ref=pd_bbs_sr_2/002-7441259-3480848?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1183499687&sr=8-2) which profiles the difficulties the team behind Xbox had in getting Microsoft to approve it but finally did win approval. Microsoft was also the first to bring a usable online gaming network to consoles with Xbox Live which has changed the face of videogaming. They might not be Apple but they are innovative in some ways.

By the way, I was a little surprised that the Wii has managed to be so successful but that's what happens when you take chances against the "norm".

It's not that I dislike the people at Microsoft in the games division, I just distrust what the company will choose to do if they do obtain a high marketshare.

GFLPraxis
Jul 3, 2007, 08:20 PM

Oh N03Z......Sony are teh D00M3D!
They hype train crashed, and their console is too expensive!
They should just pull out now and hand the victory over!

You guys crack me up! :p

Isn't Sony the Hare in that story? They got a huge lead on the PS1 and PS2 and then got overconfident and crashed and burned. Meanwhile, the Tortoise (Nintendo and XBox, both of which had a 20% marketshare during the PS2 era) all of a sudden shoot past over the finish line.

pilotError
Jul 3, 2007, 08:33 PM
I can't believe how the demand is still outstripping the supply chain.

Every day the Nintendo store has a line outside, and you may or may not get a Wii depending on what time you get there.

Not even the iPhone could do that for 6 months straight.

gkarris
Jul 3, 2007, 09:01 PM
I can't believe how the demand is still outstripping the supply chain.

Every day the Nintendo store has a line outside, and you may or may not get a Wii depending on what time you get there.

Not even the iPhone could do that for 6 months straight.

I'm starting to see them around here, but they are gone within a day. Then after a few days, you see them again. The cycle continues over and over.

PS3's are always on the shelf...

Funny, while talking to line waiters for the iPhone, I asked if people were going to resell them on eBay. "Nope, all consumers here..." one guy said.

From what I heard, over half the people in line for a PS3 were eBay resellers.

asxtb
Jul 4, 2007, 01:24 AM
Recently, PS3 sales seem to be picking up. The other day, the store near me only had 1 PS3 available but had several Wii's.

But, the DS is still selling out here. I was at a store a few weeks ago and 2 girls bought the last two DS's and the employee had to make an anouncement throughout the store saying that they were now out of DS's. :D

And a quick question to everyone that thinks the PS3 is overpriced... What would a good price be for the PS3?

brasscat
Jul 4, 2007, 01:33 AM
And a quick question to everyone that thinks the PS3 is overpriced... What would a good price be for the PS3?

$299, and includes one full game.

Markleshark
Jul 4, 2007, 01:50 AM
Isn't Sony the Hare in that story? They got a huge lead on the PS1 and PS2 and then got overconfident and crashed and burned. Meanwhile, the Tortoise (Nintendo and XBox, both of which had a 20% marketshare during the PS2 era) all of a sudden shoot past over the finish line.

*Clapping*

So true, so very true. :)

Shotgun OS
Jul 4, 2007, 02:17 AM

If Sony has chose not to use blu-ray media support in the PS3, I would guess that this would be its debut price.

Dagless
Jul 4, 2007, 04:20 AM
What should they have done? No BluRay, no Cell. Just a DVD drive and an off the shelf CPU. Just a games console and a price that reflects that - £250. £430 is a joke and so it gets treated like one.

GFLPraxis
Jul 4, 2007, 04:27 AM
What should they have done? No BluRay, no Cell. Just a DVD drive and an off the shelf CPU. Just a games console and a price that reflects that - £250. £430 is a joke and so it gets treated like one.

Not off the shelf- just more standard.

Actually, Sony should have used the same processor as the 360; IBM was obviously willing to sell it to them as they've got one of those cores in every Cell. Same processor as the 360, but keep the NVidia graphics card and use the DVD drive. If you really want the superior machine give it 1 GB of RAM.

Dagless
Jul 4, 2007, 04:31 AM
Ironic isn't it. That Sony came along in the mid 90's and brought us CD gaming (though actually, they didn't. Thanks Amiga, Sega and Phillips too!). Everyone flocked to Sony because of the vast amounts of potential storage space compared to cartridge.

And now it's the biggest downfall. Looks like we just didn't need that much storage space *looks at super epic 360, PC and Wii games on single DVDs*

DoFoT9
Jul 4, 2007, 04:34 AM
if they bring out an xbox720 that would be overkill. i can see how the ps3 isnt selling highly, cauz of the pricetag!!!! the graphics are totally awsome on it, it kicks the xbox's floating point by 2 and the wii....well lets not start on the wii's 88 mb gpu doovie.

but people arent after that, they are after interactivity!!! thats why the wii is kicking arse!

i personally hate the wiis graphics, but love its interactivity, the cartoon look doesnt do it for me...

Dagless
Jul 4, 2007, 05:10 AM
Then don't play the cartoon-looking games :D Stick to Twilight Princess and Resi 4!

2nyRiggz
Jul 4, 2007, 05:15 AM
Although the PS3 is not doing as well as the wii I don't see a death kneel in site for sony gamining sector. Sony still has a lot of backing and over 3.5million consoles is not bad in eight months.

People are buying the wii like hot cakes sure but is the impression sticking? Anybody have a breakdown to show if anyone is playing these machine more than the other?

I would really like the know if anyone is playing or are they just being scooped up because its the talk...then collecting dust like my system.

Bless

Dagless
Jul 4, 2007, 05:37 AM
They seem to be being played, the games -

Japan
http://www.vgchartz.com/graphs/softgraph.php?&console[]=DS&data[]=890246&console[]=Wii&data[]=134227&console[]=PS2&data[]=89738&console[]=PS3&data[]=37965&console[]=PSP&data[]=35656&console[]=X360&data[]=26624&console[]=GBA&data[]=411

US
http://www.vgchartz.com/graphs/softgraph.php?&console[]=Wii&data[]=478756&console[]=X360&data[]=424034&console[]=DS&data[]=352431&console[]=PS2&data[]=311425&console[]=PSP&data[]=130569&console[]=PS3&data[]=88946&console[]=XB&data[]=6610&console[]=GC&data[]=4709
*Next gen really is failing in Japan!

DoFoT9
Jul 4, 2007, 05:42 AM
They seem to be being played, the games -

Japan
http://www.vgchartz.com/graphs/softgraph.php?&console[]=DS&data[]=890246&console[]=Wii&data[]=134227&console[]=PS2&data[]=89738&console[]=PS3&data[]=37965&console[]=PSP&data[]=35656&console[]=X360&data[]=26624&console[]=GBA&data[]=411[/IMG]

farout!!!!!!! that is so incredibly insane i thout the ps3 and xbox would be killing there!!!

asxtb
Jul 4, 2007, 08:07 AM
Haha!!! Yeah, right. A Bluray player for $300?!?! And a game? Systems don't come with games anymore. (Unless you pay more via a bundled package) A Wii costs $300 if you throw in a game.

Any serious answers?

A PS3 cost £430?!?!:eek: Ok, that is a joke. I bought my 20GB PS3 and a 5 year warranty for £50 cheaper than your proposed price. A 60GB PS3 is about about £235.

*All price conversions done through Dashboard.

Dagless
Jul 4, 2007, 08:22 AM
Welcome to Europe :D

Though it's probably cheaper in mainland Europe. £430 here. they're being nice enough to bundle a game in now.

GFLPraxis
Jul 4, 2007, 10:47 AM
if they bring out an xbox720 that would be overkill. i can see how the ps3 isnt selling highly, cauz of the pricetag!!!! the graphics are totally awsome on it, it kicks the xbox's floating point by 2 and the wii....well lets not start on the wii's 88 mb gpu doovie.

Um, as far as most people can tell the XBox 360 and PS3 have almost identical graphics; in fact, most multiplatform games run BETTER on the 360.

i personally hate the wiis graphics, but love its interactivity, the cartoon look doesnt do it for me...

Cartoon look? Outside of Wii Sports, Wii Play, and Super Paper Mario, what has a cartoon look? Certainly not Twilight Princess, Resident Evil 4, Excite Truck, Metroid Prime 3....

GFLPraxis
Jul 4, 2007, 10:48 AM
Double post, mods please delete.

GFLPraxis
Jul 4, 2007, 10:49 AM
farout!!!!!!! that is so incredibly insane i thout the ps3 and xbox would be killing there!!!

Don't be fooled by percentages; the DS takes up a huge amount of the pie chart because it's selling better than any system in Japan's history. Other consoles are still selling well.

If by other consoles you mean Wii and PS2. The PS3 is selling worse than the GameCube did, and NOBODY in Japan buys the XBox 360; they have about a 1% marketshare.

Its not so much that next gen is failing as that the DS is just selling so ridiculously well that it makes everything else look small on the pie chart.

Haha!!! Yeah, right. A Bluray player for $300?!?! And a game? Systems don't come with games anymore. (Unless you pay more via a bundled package) A Wii costs $300 if you throw in a game.

Any serious answers?

Uh...
1) We've been discussing the price point of PS3 without Blu-ray. So yeah, $300 is not unreasonable.
2) "Wii costs $300 with a game"? The Wii *comes* with a game at $250. Are you forgetting that or did you not know that the Wii comes with a game?

A PS3 cost £430?!?!:eek: Ok, that is a joke. I bought my 20GB PS3 and a 5 year warranty for £50 cheaper than your proposed price. A 60GB PS3 is about about £235.

*All price conversions done through Dashboard.

Conversions don't work. They sell the video game systems at much higher prices in Europe. It's ridiculous. I lived in the Netherlands for a while, I just didn't buy any games and bought a ton of stuff on a trip to the U.S...

e²Studios
Jul 4, 2007, 12:24 PM
2) "Wii costs $300 with a game"? The Wii *comes* with a game at $250. Are you forgetting that or did you not know that the Wii comes with a game?

IIRC it only came with Wii Sports in the US. I know Japan didn't come with Wii Sports, it was a separate purchase.

Ed

Vidd
Jul 4, 2007, 07:40 PM
Then don't play the cartoon-looking games :D Stick to Twilight Princess and Resi 4!

My biggest worry about the Wii was that the graphics would disappoint.
The lack of HD sounded bad but so few people have it that it really doesn't make a difference here.
I've been pleased so far by titles such as Mario football. There's a definite step up from the Gamecube days and that's good enough for me. :)

The Wii's success reminds me of the DS. I'm glad that it can house titles such as Mario Strikers which can use the new controller and then games such as Red Steel that make you wonder how you did without it.

hegor
Jul 5, 2007, 12:06 AM
A bit too much hate on Sony in this thread.

Nintendo has a lead locked up for the next two years with the Wii. But we will see how it stacks up to 360 and PS3 game wise two years from now, when Nintendo has tapped out the casual market.

Sony is sticking to its ten year plan with PS3, so only time will tell. A $300 PS3 with a 250GB hard drive 3 years from now might not be too bad of a deal considering blu-ray et all.

While MS has innovated in the console area, all they have done is lose money really, and even the 360 is selling slower than expected despite the title of this thread.

Listening to people argue over over which console will win this early in the race is like listen to NFL fanatics argue over which rookie and 1st year players will make the hall of fame.

ReanimationLP
Jul 5, 2007, 12:21 AM
£430 is a joke and so it gets treated like one.

Thats $866 dollars american.

You know why you're paying such a high price right?

Its not the taxes.

Its all those damned TVs they gave away at launch. ;) :D

GFLPraxis
Jul 5, 2007, 02:27 AM
IIRC it only came with Wii Sports in the US. I know Japan didn't come with Wii Sports, it was a separate purchase.

Ed

But the system was $220 in Japan, too.

GFLPraxis
Jul 5, 2007, 02:29 AM
Sony is sticking to its ten year plan with PS3, so only time will tell. A $300 PS3 with a 250GB hard drive 3 years from now might not be too bad of a deal considering blu-ray et all.

I think people are reading too much into the "ten year plan". The PS1 was a ten year plan too; Sony did not stop producing PSOne's and PS1 software until ten years after the original release. The PS2 will continue to be supported for a full ten years too. The PS3 will last ten years, hopefully, but Sony would release a PS4 after the first five.

DoFoT9
Jul 5, 2007, 02:51 AM
1.Um, as far as most people can tell the XBox 360 and PS3 have almost identical graphics; in fact, most multiplatform games run BETTER on the 360.

2.Cartoon look? Outside of Wii Sports, Wii Play, and Super Paper Mario, what has a cartoon look? Certainly not Twilight Princess, Resident Evil 4, Excite Truck, Metroid Prime 3....
1.no they dont have identical graphics, one is better in terms on throughput. most ps3 gaems just arent maxing out to its full potential.

2. http://www.ngcfrance.com/images/news/super_paper_mario/scr_016.jpg

would you not call that cartoony say compared to.......
http://digitalbattle.com/wp-content/uploads/2006/08/full%20auto%202.jpg

Don't be fooled by percentages; the DS takes up a huge amount of the pie chart because it's selling better than any system in Japan's history. Other consoles are still selling well.

i wasnt fooled, the DS is flogging everything else out there. the jap ppl must really like the small hand held games and not the good ol console boxes. computer FTW

MacRumorUser
Jul 5, 2007, 03:03 AM
Welcome to Europe :D

Though it's probably cheaper in mainland Europe. £430 here. they're being nice enough to bundle a game in now.

€625 here (£422) not much difference :(

csista
Jul 5, 2007, 03:35 AM
The main reason the Wii is selling so strong is the price, without a doubt. I just bought a Wii, but if the PS3 was the same price, I probably would have made a different choice.

Another big boost for the Wii, is that it's just simple fun. It's a party console. It appeals to the non-gamers better than anything else right now. You can get together with any of your friends, and everyone's laughing, and claiming "Next" for their turn. Guitar Hero is the closest thing we've had to that recently, and I can't even think of the last thing before that.

That being said, remember that it's still early in the cycle for this generation of consoles, and all it takes is one game to turn the tide. Everyone knows that Halo 3, or a new Metroid, or a new Final Fantasy will affect sales. But there's always going to be that one exclusive game that no one saw coming that can change everything. No one could have predicted the effect that Grand Theft Auto 3 would have on PS2 sales. I've been playing video games for a long time now, and I don't think I've ever experienced one game selling a system the way that one did.

asxtb
Jul 5, 2007, 04:49 AM
Uh...
1) We've been discussing the price point of PS3 without Blu-ray. So yeah, $300 is not unreasonable.

Conversions don't work. They sell the video game systems at much higher prices in Europe. It's ridiculous. I lived in the Netherlands for a while, I just didn't buy any games and bought a ton of stuff on a trip to the U.S...
I agree, a PS3 without BluRay could easily be priced at $300 if not cheaper. But it comes the the BluRay! So it's a little more. (In my case just $100 more for the 20GB)

But the system was $220 in Japan, too.
As as Ed said, the Wii does not come with a game here in Japan. Yes, the Wii was cheaper but if you add the 'demo' game, aka Wii Sports, then you're looking $260-270. Ok, not quite the $300 I said earlier.

1.no they dont have identical graphics, one is better in terms on throughput. most ps3 gaems just arent maxing out to its full potential.

2. [IMG]

[IMG]

But to defend Praxis (which doesn't happen often;) ), he did say besides Paper Mario...

€625 here (£422) not much difference :(
Man, I'm really sorry for you Europeans. That IS way too much for a PS3.

But as for a good price point for the PS3... I think Jimmi made my point. (Although probably unintentionally) He said a good price point would be £250 for a PS3 without BluRay and all the other things. But the PS3 does sell for UNDER £250 with BluRay and all the other things. (Just not everywhere in the world) But it is possible. And I think just give it a little more time and Sony will drop the price in Europe. At least I hope. That is way too much. Anyway, for people in America and Asia, and I really don't think price is a valid argument against the PS3.
(I hope that made sense.)

DoFoT9
Jul 5, 2007, 04:57 AM
But to defend Praxis (which doesn't happen often;) ), he did say besides Paper Mario...

true i should have looked at some of the other games, however my point still remains valid. ps3 and xbox are more...realistic.

Dagless
Jul 5, 2007, 06:16 AM
LOL! WTF and other internet terms... Comparing graphics from a deliberate cartoon game to a non-cartoon game?

Hey why not put up graphics style comparison pics of say, Little Big World against Twilight Princess :D
Oh nono, Gears of War versus WarioWare :rolleyes:

And for the sake of it, in Europe the PS3 should cost £250, drop the Core 360 and charge £199 for the Premium and £130 for the Wii.
They all cost too much for what they do.

DoFoT9
Jul 5, 2007, 06:28 AM
LOL! WTF and other internet terms... Comparing graphics from a deliberate cartoon game to a non-cartoon game?

Hey why not put up graphics style comparison pics of say, Little Big World against Twilight Princess :D
Oh nono, Gears of War versus WarioWare :rolleyes:

And for the sake of it, in Europe the PS3 should cost £250, drop the Core 360 and charge £199 for the Premium and £130 for the Wii.
They all cost too much for what they do.

such as WTH, FFS, BBS, BRB hhahahahar kidding..

i wonder how much they cost to make....1/10th of that??

Dagless
Jul 5, 2007, 06:33 AM
Definitely. But the cost covers R&D and all that jazz.

Back to what I was saying. IMO the DS Lite is the only system out worth its price. Even the GB Micro here goes for £70, DS Lite at £99 with any game (£35). Damn moneys.

seenew
Jul 5, 2007, 12:54 PM
A bit too much hate on Sony in this thread.

Nintendo has a lead locked up for the next two years with the Wii. But we will see how it stacks up to 360 and PS3 game wise two years from now, when Nintendo has tapped out the casual market.

Two years is pretty much all they'll need. Maybe three more. By then, Nintendo will be cooking up their next system.
And you're joking if you really believe Sony's "ten year" *********. No technology lasts ten years these days. Yes, the PS3 is powerful. But ten years? No way, man. In ten years we'll have portables with the same power as the PS3, and either Sony (games division) will be gone, or they will be working on the PS5.

Coded-Dude
Jul 5, 2007, 01:23 PM
You guys/girls do realize that PS3 is outselling 360 by like 3:1 right? :rolleyes:

You think MS is on some sort of roller coaster ride to the top?

What have they done to show that they have longevity in the industry........absolutely nothing.
The ONLY reason MS has a lead over Sony is that they released their ***** hardware way before.
(with no sign of the division getting out of the red anytime soon)

PS3/Wii defect rates are said to be below 1%, whereas 360 is rumored to be as high as 30-35%
(and you think Sony is doomed?)

I guess ignorance is bliss.

GFLPraxis
Jul 5, 2007, 03:31 PM
You guys/girls do realize that PS3 is outselling 360 by like 3:1 right? :rolleyes:

Are you absolutely bonkers?
US Sales Numbers (http://www.nintendoplayers.com/article.php?articleID=917)
Japanese Sales Numbers (http://www.nintendoplayers.com/article.php?articleID=918)
I see the 360 outselling the PS3 2-to-1 in the U.S. and similar numbers in Europe. The only place the PS3 outsells the 360 in is Japan.

Is that what you are thinking of? The PS3 DID manage to outsell the 360 3-to-1 this week in Japan only. But that's only because both consoles did pitifully bad; the XBox 360 made up 1% of console sales and the PS3 made up 3% (meanwhile DS was 56% and Wii was 22%).

The XBox 360 in the U.S. outsold the PS3 in Japan literally more than 16 times over (160,000 vs 9,500).

If you add the U.S. and Japanese sales numbers together, the XBox 360 outsells the PS3 two-to-one. I haven't seen European sales numbers recently but as far as I know the 360 leads there too.

GFLPraxis
Jul 5, 2007, 03:39 PM

Realistically, the XBox 360 actually has a better graphics card than the PS3.

PS3 has a POTENTIALLY better processor but whether that will have any significant advantages remains to be seen; the Sega Saturn had a complex processor that could potentially do cool things and it was too complex for developers and helped kill the system.

And don't blab about potential. I haven't seen one game, existing or announced, that has graphics visibly far superior to the XBox 360's capabilities.
(pre-rendered footage doesn't count. No Killzone.)

Until a game comes along that shows otherwise, I consider both systems equals. Except that the PS3 has Blu-ray and costs $200-$300 more and has fewer exclusives.

...are you blind? I said "EXCEPT FOR PAPER MARIO" and you pull out a screenshot of Paper Mario?

Explain how this is cartoony:
http://www.nintendoplayers.com/images/games/2426_15.jpg

Or Resident Evil 4.

Viva Pinata is cartoony, but I don't say all XBox 360 games are cartoony.

Besides, why does "realism" make something superior? I'd take a game with a good art style any day. I'm actually quite interested to play Viva Pinata.

I agree, a PS3 without BluRay could easily be priced at $300 if not cheaper. But it comes the the BluRay! So it's a little more. (In my case just $100 more for the 20GB)

In a world where the majority of households still do not have HDTVs...the value is not visible to all.

Coded-Dude
Jul 5, 2007, 03:49 PM
Aren't we talking about Japan here?
"Wii outsold PS3 6:1".......in JAPAN! :rolleyes:

My retort to all the blind people who say PS3 is "t3h d00m3d!"

"PS3 is outselling 360 3:1".......in JAPAN! :rolleyes:
Oh, and thats total buddy not just last week.
JPN LTD - 372,550(360) 928,569(PS3) 2,713,666(Wii)

We can talk all territories(if you want to go there), but 360 is a failure in Japan, and that was my point.
PS3 is failing nowhere....yet. That doesn't mean it will/won't, but it is doing fine.

I've always stood by the position that this "gen" the war will be decided in America, and I will agree that MS currently has the advantage. However, it may be a different story in 4 years.

MacRumorUser
Jul 5, 2007, 04:00 PM
Besides, why does "realism" make something superior? I'd take a game with a good art style any day. I'm actually quite interested to play Viva Pinata.

Dont... it's too adictive :D My favorite 360 game to date, and personally I think it's one of the most visually accomplished titles on the system, a pure joy to behold and it's style aesthetics work brilliantly.

Dagless
Jul 5, 2007, 04:28 PM
I've always stood by the position that this "gen" the war will be decided in America, and I will agree that MS currently has the advantage.

I'm interested to see the NDP figures, since following the current trend the Wii is set to overtake to the 360 either in June or July.
Amazing when you consider the lead the 360 had.

Coded-Dude
Jul 5, 2007, 04:38 PM
Yes indeed.......I do expect Nintendo to take the lead, however what I am uncertain about is whether or not they can keep it
MS is already proving how hard of a task that is.
(Sony and Ninty both blew by the 360 in Japan during the launch window - after its year long head start)

MS is an American company that caters to American gamers(generally speaking).
But they, like Nintendo - need to release software that can keep the momentum.
Yes, Sony does too, but they have had the better track record the last two gens(As far as releases).
Certainly the PS3 is also off to a slow start, but so was the PS2.

It wouldn't surprise me to see several lead changes throughout the regions in the coming years. And while I do think it will be a close race, there will definitely be a clear cut winner in the end. Who that is....well that's any body's guess.

Dagless
Jul 5, 2007, 04:54 PM
Certainly the PS3 is also off to a slow start, but so was the PS2.

No, it wasn't.

http://www.infendo.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/05/us_console_sales_infendobar.jpg

Coded-Dude
Jul 5, 2007, 04:59 PM
I was referring to software titles being released, not hardware sales.

"In 2002 Sony went on an absolute tear for nine months straight, launching hit after hit with such speed it was like watching the Nazis blitz their way through Europe (perhaps a bit of a stretch, but it was pretty remarkable nonetheless). Red Faction, Twisted Metal: Black, Gran Turismo 3, Ico, Devil May Cry, Jak and Daxter, Final Fantasy X, (although not loved by me) GTAIII, Hot Shots Golf 3, MGS2, Tony Hawk 3, Madden 2002… the list is almost endless."

There wasn't a whole lot out before that except for a few good titles and a whole lot of bad publicity. (production issues, DRE's, doomsday jouranlists, etc..)

If Sony can deliver in the same manner(which I think they will), then MS and Ninty better have some Aces up their sleeves.
As we all mostly agree its about the software not the hardware(even though faulty hardware and/or defects do come into play).

DoFoT9
Jul 5, 2007, 05:20 PM
Realistically, the XBox 360 actually has a better graphics card than the PS3.

1PS3 has a POTENTIALLY better processor but whether that will have any significant advantages remains to be seen; the Sega Saturn had a complex processor that could potentially do cool things and it was too complex for developers and helped kill the system.

2And don't blab about potential. I haven't seen one game, existing or announced, that has graphics visibly far superior to the XBox 360's capabilities.
(pre-rendered footage doesn't count. No Killzone.)

3Until a game comes along that shows otherwise, I consider both systems equals. Except that the PS3 has Blu-ray and costs $200-$300 more and has fewer exclusives.

4...are you blind? I said "EXCEPT FOR PAPER MARIO" and you pull out a screenshot of Paper Mario?

5Explain how this is cartoony:
http://www.nintendoplayers.com/images/games/2426_15.jpg

6Besides, why does "realism" make something superior? I'd take a game with a good art style any day. I'm actually quite interested to play Viva Pinata.

1. yes the ps3 DOES have more potential in the graphics, and they can be seen now!!

2http://au.gamespot.com/features/6162742/ take a very close look at the 3rd image, hover your mouse over it and see the difference!!!!

3 i rest my case above ^^^

4 sorry about that, i tend not to read things in full detail, mybad

5look at that thing... i mean come on... u cannot be serious!

http://home2.btconnect.com/hgi/ps3/madd.jpg

6 realism does not make a game superior at any means, noway. the most effective games are the simplest ones (cept dynasty warriors!!!) the realistic onesjust look better and prob cost way too much to make

Dagless
Jul 5, 2007, 05:53 PM
I'm sorry here, but the PS3 has better graphics than 360? Has there actually been any realtime proof of this yet? All I'm seeing is the complete opposite. Heck have you missed the news about the halved frame rate in the PS3 version of Madden?

ps. in that 3rd pic all the PS3 version has is less contrasting colours and deeper bump mapping.
Anyone got a link for that upcoming baseball game on both systems? The audience on the PS3 version looked completely hideous and didn't even have shadows on the players.

DoFoT9
Jul 5, 2007, 05:56 PM
I'm sorry here, but the PS3 has better graphics than 360? Has there actually been any realtime proof of this yet?

ps. in that 3rd pic all the PS3 version has is less contrasting colours and deeper bump mapping.
Anyone got a link for that upcoming baseball game on both systems? The audience on the PS3 version looked completely hideous and didn't even have shadows on the players.

ps3 is worth about 2 6800 ultras.. thats saying something i spose

i wonder hu makes that baseball game. a lot of competitiors are rushing to bring out games to get the money cauz there isnt much of the market...yet

Coded-Dude
Jul 5, 2007, 06:00 PM
well, E3 is less than a week a away......there should be several new demos, trailers, and pre-rendered cgi garbage for us to fight over.
(i.e. new content in a few days, so lets be patient) :p

As far as graphics go, I would have to admit they are very similar.
Nothing multi-platform has been impressive at all, but First Party and/or exclusives are starting to show potential.
Remember we are still fairly early in the dev life of either platform(not nintendo), so time will tell.

I think PS3 biggest advantage thus far is blu-ray....while we could argue which games look better(and obviously some of our opinions are gonna vary), I think most can admit that there aren't many games with the same scope as whats coming on PS3. I have yet to see any game with levels/worlds on the same scale as WarHawk and Lair, or even Heavenly Sword and Uncharted.......

DoFoT9
Jul 5, 2007, 06:03 PM
As far as graphics go, I would have to admit they are very similar.
Nothing multi-platform has been impressive at all, but First Party and/or exclusives are starting to show potential.
Remember we are still fairly early in the dev life of either platform(not nintendo), so time will tell.

I think PS3 biggest advantage thus far is blu-ray....while we could argue which games look better(and obviously some of our opinions are gonna vary), I think most can admit that there aren't many games with the same scope as whats coming on PS3. I have yet to see any game with levels/worlds on the same scale as WarHawk and Lair, or even Heavenly Sword and Uncharted.......

yea agreed. we shall halt this debate and come back in 3 years time when the games are maxing the system out ;) ya?

sikkinixx
Jul 5, 2007, 06:51 PM
^

We'll all be old in three years!! :eek: With more pressing issues then debating which system has the biggest dick (maybe..):D

GFLPraxis
Jul 5, 2007, 07:36 PM
Aren't we talking about Japan here?
"Wii outsold PS3 6:1".......in JAPAN! :rolleyes:

My retort to all the blind people who say PS3 is "t3h d00m3d!"

"PS3 is outselling 360 3:1".......in JAPAN! :rolleyes:
Oh, and thats total buddy not just last week.
JPN LTD - 372,550(360) 928,569(PS3) 2,713,666(Wii)

We can talk all territories(if you want to go there), but 360 is a failure in Japan, and that was my point.
PS3 is failing nowhere....yet. That doesn't mean it will/won't, but it is doing fine.

I've always stood by the position that this "gen" the war will be decided in America, and I will agree that MS currently has the advantage. However, it may be a different story in 4 years.

You're seriously using the XBox 360's Japanese sales compared to PS3 in Japan as a benchmark of success? The original XBox crashed and burned with an under-1% marketshare. The fact that the PS3 is outselling it three times over is not just unimpressive; it's pitiful! The GameCube outsold the original XBox 15-to-1 easily, often 30 or 50-to-1 at times.

You're claiming that the PS3 is not a failure because it is outselling the worst failure in the country? That's not particularly impressive at all. The PS3 has sold less than the GameCube did over the same time period in Japan.

GFLPraxis
Jul 5, 2007, 07:38 PM
well, E3 is less than a week a away......

:eek: I'm flying out this weekend, CRAP, almost forgot! It snuck up on me, lol.

Dagless
Jul 5, 2007, 07:48 PM
Ossom :) The Macworld of gaming. Can't wait to see what they've got in store for the Wii.

gkarris
Jul 5, 2007, 07:59 PM
MS XB360 warranties are now 3 years. Sony is dropping the price of the PS3 to $499...

good times...

2nyRiggz
Jul 5, 2007, 08:22 PM
You're claiming that the PS3 is not a failure because it is outselling the worst failure in the country? That's not particularly impressive at all. The PS3 has sold less than the GameCube did over the same time period in Japan.

Yet you are calling it a failure because it didn't blow the xbox out of the water like the GC did(GC didn't fail). It really doesn't have anything to do with whats impressive(to you) at all. The PS3 has sold over 3.5mil world wide....leading in maybe one country and yet its a failure.

You guys are looking at sales numbers now when this thing is far from over and already announcing a dead console.

PS3 will do just fine....and with a $100 price drop...damn!

Bless

asxtb
Jul 5, 2007, 08:40 PM
Explain how this is cartoony:
[/timg]

Ummm.... You are an elvish looking character that goes around and kills ficticious beasts. Explain how it is NOT cartoony.

If you think that it is not cartoony you have an impaired view of reality.

DoFoT9
Jul 5, 2007, 09:16 PM
Ummm.... You are an elvish looking character that goes around and kills ficticious beasts. Explain how it is NOT cartoony.

few i thought i was all alone in my assumption

GFLPraxis
Jul 5, 2007, 09:18 PM

...isn't that the same concept as Oblivion, depending how you configure the character?

And weren't we discussing graphical styles, not story?

Fine then. EXPLAIN TO ME HOW RESIDENT EVIL 4 IS CARTOONY, and then I will concede. Good luck to you, really, I'd be really impressed if you succeed :D

GFLPraxis
Jul 5, 2007, 09:20 PM
Yet you are calling it a failure because it didn't blow the xbox out of the water like the GC did(GC didn't fail). It really doesn't have anything to do with whats impressive(to you) at all. The PS3 has sold over 3.5mil world wide....leading in maybe one country and yet its a failure.

You guys are looking at sales numbers now when this thing is far from over and already announcing a dead console.

PS3 will do just fine....and with a $100 price drop...damn!

Bless

I did not declare it a failure; I merely strongly disagree with the poster who claimed that the PS3 is doing better than the 360, that Sony has proven their longevity because the PS3 is outselling the 360, and that Microsoft is only in the lead because of their early lead and not because they continue to outsell the PS3. Because that is a load of crap.

I think the PS3 still has a chance to come out a successful console (but not the leader). I just disagree with anyone who thinks it is doing better than the 360 right now.

Dagless
Jul 5, 2007, 09:24 PM
Elf ears are cartoony?

Joysus chroyst I didn't know Peter Jacksons LotR was a cartoon.

I always thought the definition of a cartoon game was down to the rendering technique rather than using fantasy elements. Guess I was wrong :rolleyes:

GFLPraxis
Jul 5, 2007, 09:25 PM
I don't know why I'm overcome with emotion and feel the need to put this out here, but:
I love you guys. The internet would be so boring if we didn't have people of different opinions to argue with!

Where's Ed? I'm missing his presence here... :(

DoFoT9
Jul 5, 2007, 09:28 PM
Fine then. EXPLAIN TO ME HOW RESIDENT EVIL 4 IS CARTOONY, and then I will concede. Good luck to you, really, I'd be really impressed if you succeed :D

resident evil 4 isnt cartoony... its in the middle :cool: just chilling

http://img505.imageshack.us/img505/9461/re4ny7.jpg

love you too GFL hahahahaha ({)

asxtb
Jul 5, 2007, 09:30 PM
...isn't that the same concept as Oblivion, depending how you configure the character?

And weren't we discussing graphical styles, not story?

We are discussing graphical styles. But look at the picture you posted. It's a CARTOON!

I'm not one to really argue whether a cartoony game is good or bad. I like what I like and you like what you like. I'm just pointing out that you post a picture of a cartoon and then tell people to explain how it is cartoony.

Honestly I haven't seen screen shots of Resident Evil 4 for the Wii so I can't comment. Nor do I care too. Just don't post a picture of a cartoon and claim it's not one.

asxtb
Jul 5, 2007, 09:33 PM
I don't know why I'm overcome with emotion and feel the need to put this out here, but:
I love you guys. The internet would be so boring if we didn't have people of different opinions to argue with!

Haha! I second this!

GFLPraxis
Jul 6, 2007, 12:26 AM
We are discussing graphical styles. But look at the picture you posted. It's a CARTOON!

I'm not one to really argue whether a cartoony game is good or bad. I like what I like and you like what you like. I'm just pointing out that you post a picture of a cartoon and then tell people to explain how it is cartoony.

Honestly I haven't seen screen shots of Resident Evil 4 for the Wii so I can't comment. Nor do I care too. Just don't post a picture of a cartoon and claim it's not one.

I still don't get how it's a cartoon. It's not bright and colorful, its dim and misty. There is no cel-shading and while the character is dressed strangely (perhaps in a funny way), the cloth is realistically textured, not cartoon.

GFLPraxis
Jul 6, 2007, 12:30 AM
Haha! I second this!

Feel the love!:D

Shotgun OS
Jul 6, 2007, 02:36 AM
But look at the picture you posted. It's a CARTOON!

By your standard idea of cartoon, all video games are cartoons.:rolleyes:

GFLPraxis
Jul 6, 2007, 02:37 AM

Seriously. If you play as an elf in Oblivion it's pretty much the exact same thing, isn't it?

Dagless
Jul 6, 2007, 06:40 AM

I wanted to say this. All games are cartoons in one way or another. You're running around in Halo and get shot. Shield goes down and you start losing health. That's a shard cartoony right there, if it were real (aka, if the Master Chief wasn't a cartoon character) wouldn't a single shot in his leg make him unable to walk? If he's a robot (which some believe) wouldn't a shot in a vital area break the cables and stuff and simply make him collapse into a pile of junk?

Then you have Gears of War with "uber" meat heads, looking like that ridiculous Team Fortress 2 chap without cel shaded graphics.

The only time Zelda shows visual cartoon qualities is through the Ordon villagers. Even then it can be classed as impressionism.

asxtb
Jul 6, 2007, 09:32 AM
Wirelessly posted (Vodafone/1.0/V705SH/SHJ001 Browser/VF-NetFront/3.3 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1)

By golly, I think some of you are actually starting to understand, even with your sarcastic comments!
Yes! They are all in a way cartoons. They are all animations.

I still think some of you think cartoons are all like Mickey Mouse and Mario though.

As an aside, anyone else having trouble with MR? I can only access via my phone.

SpankyPenzaanz
Jul 6, 2007, 09:58 AM
In Japan. According to the BBC.

Linkerty Loo (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/6265368.stm)

Meh I dont care I have the systems and games I want (that have been released so far at least)

e²Studios
Jul 6, 2007, 11:22 AM
Where's Ed? I'm missing his presence here... :(

*waves*

I dunno this whole cartooney vs. realism stuff gives me a headache. Here is what i gather, i think at the end of the day we are all after a similar goal, having fun while gaming. I reckon if we all were close enough to grab a beer at a pub we could probably all get a long fairly well, we do after all have at least 1 thing in common, and we all know that we are long winded enough to keep a conversation :D

So same goal, just maybe on a different device. And BTW I am up for that beer anytime if you are nearby.. mmm beer.

Ed

Mr. MacBook
Jul 6, 2007, 12:29 PM
obviously, sony does not realize that you dont need a freaking multicore cell processor and the topend GPU and a blu-ray disc drive and full 1080p graphics to have fun.

Drop the blu-ray, or at least switch to HD DVD, and they could make it like $120-$150 cheaper and they wouldnt lose as much per one sold.

Did you know that the wii can put out 720p but nintendo's hiding it? Oo, makes me wonder what will happen next. It can even handle 1080p, but would get shot up with frame-rate problems

ChrisK018
Jul 6, 2007, 12:43 PM
^Sony has made its multi cell processor 1080p blu-ray reading bed, so now they have to sleep in it. Perhaps that bed is a bit lumpy right now, but with a few good titles and a price drop they can get some market share back.

What's up with all this anti-cartoon garbage? Did cartoons beat you up when you were kids? Such a weird re-occuring theme to be whining about something that is so subjective.

Dagless
Jul 6, 2007, 12:45 PM
LOL. Sorry there. Nintendo are hiding nothing, they're not going to flip a switch and activate it.

The Wii can handle higher resolutions just as much as the 360 and PS3 can run higher than 1920*1080. Hell my old sub-£100 ATi graphics cards can handle higher.

It's all about consistency, standards and a smooth playing experience.

steamboat26
Jul 6, 2007, 12:57 PM
Coded Dude- an important note- Microsoft has a very tiny market in Japan, there aren't enough games which appeal to the Japanese people.
If you look at the global picture, the PS3 is far behind all competition. On the global scale, the wii is still outselling the PS3, although it probably isn't six to one (there aren't enough wiis :D )

And in response to the whole 360 vs. PS3, I seem to recall that the PS3 has the potential to be slightly better than the 360 a couple of years from now, but the difference would be too minuscule for the average gamer to notice.

Dagless
Jul 6, 2007, 01:03 PM
Globally the Wii is outselling 2.25:1, and the Wii is ~1.5 million behind the 360.

srobert
Jul 6, 2007, 02:08 PM
I reckon if we all were close enough to grab a beer at a pub we could probably all get a long fairly well…
And BTW I am up for that beer anytime if you are nearby.. mmm beer.

Ed

Love the post Ed :)

But of course, if you and jimmi ever end up in the same pub, you'd both probably end up arguing about which beer is the best. :D

GFLPraxis
Jul 6, 2007, 02:14 PM
Heh, we should all meet up at the next E3. I'm sure by then Jimmi will be one of the showcasers with his indie games. Then we can go egg his booth. :)

obviously, sony does not realize that you dont need a freaking multicore cell processor and the topend GPU and a blu-ray disc drive and full 1080p graphics to have fun.

Drop the blu-ray, or at least switch to HD DVD, and they could make it like $120-$150 cheaper and they wouldnt lose as much per one sold.

Did you know that the wii can put out 720p but nintendo's hiding it? Oo, makes me wonder what will happen next. It can even handle 1080p, but would get shot up with frame-rate problems

I know. I interviewed people at E3.

The Wii's component output is fully capable of 1080p. The fact is, though, that with the limited amount of RAM, trying to run in HD wouldn't leave enough performance left over for the games to run well; so developers would actually have to make the games look worse to make them run in HD.

And since Nintendo isn't providing HD API's to developers, it wouldn't be worth the trouble for third parties to even try it (this is what I was told by a dev I interviewed).

Dagless
Jul 6, 2007, 02:18 PM
Love the post Ed :)

But of course, if you and jimmi ever end up in the same pub, you'd both probably end up arguing about which beer is the best. :D

I don't drink :o so he's already won!

Dagless
Jul 6, 2007, 02:25 PM
Heh, we should all meet up at the next E3. I'm sure by then Jimmi will be one of the showcasers with his indie games. Then we can go egg his booth. :)

You'll have to come to the Independant Games Festival in Feb! We'll be at the next-next E3 for sure.

Coded-Dude
Jul 10, 2007, 01:56 PM
I think the PS3 still has a chance to come out a successful console (but not the leader). I just disagree with anyone who thinks it is doing better than the 360 right now.This thread is about Japan, and PS3 is doing better than 360 in Japan, there are no ifs, ands, or buts about it.
(it only took what.....a week or two for PS3 sales to surpass an entire year of 360 sales)

With the price drop in NA, well see a difference. PS3 immediately rose to the top again(on amazon). I only made an irrational post that goes along with the initial post. WTF does it matter who is outselling who in one region only X amount of months after a launch....that doesn't mean *****. Sony has done nothing this gen except raise the price. The games are in the pipe(expect a lot of hits this fall) and the hardware is even better than before. There is absolutely NO reason for any marginally competent person to believe that the PS3 is "failing." Look at global sales and PS3 is NOT that far behind its predecessors(from the Sony family).

IMHO this thread is worthless......lets talk in 3 years when the mistakes(or lack thereof) from ALL companies are far more apparent. You can't predict the end of a 10 year timeframe a mere 6 months into it. Well, you could, but you'd be a fool to do so.

ChrisK018
Jul 10, 2007, 02:07 PM
IMHO this thread is worthless......lets talk in 3 years when the mistakes(or lack thereof) from ALL companies are far more apparent. You can't predict the end of a 10 year timeframe a mere 6 months into it. Well, you could, but you'd be a fool to do so.

Hindsight is 20/20. One can do that, but there is something to be said for living in the moment. Right now the Wii is doing really well regardless of price, hype, games and whatever else. Saying the PS3 is selling better than the 360 in Japan is not in the thread headline either.

Dagless
Jul 10, 2007, 02:10 PM
WTF does it matter who is outselling who in one region only X amount of months after a launch....that doesn't mean *****.

It seems to matter to the previous 3rd party devs now going multiconsole, it seems to matter to whoever makes Katamari, et al.

Course it's important. We're coming up to year 1 for the PS3 and Wii and the consumers have seemingly decided (global sales of 2.5:1), therefore devs are moving to match the shift in market. These guys aren't thinking of the long run, that's just 1st and 2nd party devs.
The first year is just so critical.

I'm predicting an absurdly huge sales spike in 360 sales once Halo 3 hits then a bog standard console run.
PS3 fluctuates around. Coming in 3rd, but very close to Microsoft globally.
Wii continues as it does, Nintendo will be first to announce their next system (unless you count predicting the name of Sony's next console name and controller layout :rolleyes:).
DS ascends to heaven.

Coded-Dude
Jul 10, 2007, 02:10 PM
Hindsight is 20/20. One can do that, but there is something to be said for living in the moment. Right now the Wii is doing really well regardless of price, hype, games and whatever else. Saying the PS3 is selling better than the 360 in Japan is not in the thread headline either.

No the title says Wii outselling PS3 6:1 (but that was only in Japan) so I replied with PS3 is outselling 360 in Japan 3:1......so whats the point? I could post a thread say PS3 outselling 360 3:1 in Japan and you woudl all come in and blast me with Wii numbers. :rolleyes:

student_trap
Jul 10, 2007, 07:29 PM
Shying away from the intensity of this thread, I thought that it might be useful to add my experience.

1. I have had a wii since launch, and imo it is quite clearly the best console for having a laugh with mates (for example, after work a few of us met up for beer and pizza, and despite having a 360 and ps3 to hand, it was wario ware smooth moves that kept us entertained the most). Similarly, it is the wii that has allowed me to play games with friends who would have never been excited by the idea in the past, and has also encouraged said people - who have never played games - to go ahead and buy the console.

2. The way that the wii is being marketed by the media is only going to increase its ownership by traditionally non-gamers, as can be shown by its 'weight loss' benefits (http://wiiweightlossplan.com/), its price, and unobtrusiveness in the living room.

The problems however lie with where revenues are to be gained after purchase, as it seems reasonable to suggest that your typical wii owning non-gamer will not buy all of the latest accessories and titles, whereas a traditional 'gamer' would spend more on such items.

In this way there is much room for microsoft and sony's machines, however it seems to me that there is to be a more definite split within the console gaming world, so that in the same way that pc gaming has typically been a more expensive route, while consoles catered for the masses, now the ps3 will adopt the old pc role, with the basic 360 versions and the wii accepting the role as 'console for the masses'.

Assuming this to be true, it is nintendo and microsoft, from a business perspective, that are in a stronger position, as there will always need to be an affordable console, whereas the need for such a highly priced (and speced) console such as the ps3 is yet to be proven. Sony therefore, are currently in an uncertain position.

I seem to have written an essay, so I will stop! but finally i'd just like to add that from my personal experience with friends, most people accept all of the next gen machines for their merits, and will happily sit down for multiplayer resistance or red steel, and similarly await halo three with open eyes. However, it seems to me to be the PS3 owners who are calling for some sort of console genocide, perhaps they are more insecure over the future of their £430 system?

Student_trap

coffey7
Jul 17, 2007, 09:05 PM
There is only 1 game I would want for the Wii. I can't understand all the hype. It doesn't even have many games. I guess its a $250 paperweight. Are they going to come out with some RPGs? A final fantasy type game before the next lunar eclipse?

Dagless
Jul 17, 2007, 09:24 PM
Edit: Scrap that, found a better link- http://www.nwiizone.com/nintendo-wii/nwii/nintendo-wii-rpg-games-list/

MacRumorUser
Jul 18, 2007, 04:00 AM
Edit: Scrap that, found a better link- http://www.nwiizone.com/nintendo-wii/nwii/nintendo-wii-rpg-games-list/

A particularly vague list really. However FireEmblem ? I would call it more of a strategy game than rpg. The cube game was definitely 1 part rpg to 10 parts strategy.

pcypert
Jul 18, 2007, 05:30 AM
I wouldn't really even consider TP a RPG...my friends and I all felt it was way more action game than RPG...it had a pseudo RPG plotline (cheesy) but lacked a lot of really basic RPG elements.

Paul

gloss
Jul 18, 2007, 07:49 AM
I think it fits neatly under the Strategy RPG category. In fact, I think it was the first series in that genre.

wako
Jul 18, 2007, 12:44 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wrjQ7joYHi0

Its a Wii song!

gloss
Jul 18, 2007, 12:46 PM
There is only 1 game I would want for the Wii. I can't understand all the hype. It doesn't even have many games. I guess its a $250 paperweight. Are they going to come out with some RPGs? A final fantasy type game before the next lunar eclipse?

Wii is not a great single-player system at the moment. It is, however, really, really great for parties or with a few friends.