PDA

View Full Version : Brushed Aluminum iMacs in August?

Pages : [1] 2 3

Tsurisuto
Jul 6, 2007, 03:27 PM
http://www.thinksecret.com/news/Next-generationiMactrackingforAugust.html

Sounds interesting. I'm glad they're finally getting rid of the chin!

BennyK
Jul 6, 2007, 03:47 PM
Awesome!! It sure seems everything is pointing to mid July - Mid August. I need a new Imac (currently have a G5) and am waiting for the new revision!

superlatic
Jul 6, 2007, 03:50 PM

very dissappointed if true on a personal level, as I can hold out till july (which is pushing it big time) but not august!!!

still have some hope we will see them late this month

phalewhale
Jul 6, 2007, 04:00 PM

Sounds like getting rid of the "chin" is gonna make the new iMac half an inch thicker than it already is! To be honest, I'm not that keen on anodized/brushed whatever you want to call it aluminium. I'd actually be happy with a speed bump, double the memory, and a black option so long as you don't have to pay crazy money for black.

Oh, and a decent graphics card to play these new games we heard about at WWDC

Tsurisuto
Jul 6, 2007, 04:00 PM
Awesome!! It sure seems everything is pointing to mid July - Mid August. I need a new Imac (currently have a G5) and am waiting for the new revision!

Same here. I currently have a 2.0Ghz G5, and although there is NOTHING wrong with it, I just want a new Mac!

Tsurisuto
Jul 6, 2007, 04:03 PM
Sounds like getting rid of the "chin" is gonna make the new iMac half an inch thicker than it already is! To be honest, I'm not that keen on anodized/brushed whatever you want to call it aluminium. I'd actually be happy with a speed bump, double the memory, and a black option so long as you don't have to pay crazy money for black.

I personally like the brushed metal look (it looks fantastic on the Cinema Displays).

superlatic
Jul 6, 2007, 04:09 PM
tis basically going to be macbook pro specs in a new aluminium enclosure, hence the new graphics card will likely be nvidia 8600m gt, maybe a slightly better one as a BTO option on 24 inch

dartzorichalcos
Jul 6, 2007, 04:12 PM
I think it will be worth the wait. The Cinema Display look of the new iMacs will look awsome.

MIDI_EVIL
Jul 6, 2007, 04:13 PM
Imagine they make the GPU, HD and RAM easily replaceable.

Rich.

APPLEFAN8
Jul 6, 2007, 04:16 PM
nice! I've been waiting and I already have 900 for my iMac! can't wait to get one! I'm getting mine in august becuase thats when my job is done before I going to be a junior in H.S.! I can't wait to see what they look like!

flopticalcube
Jul 6, 2007, 04:24 PM
Hopefully they will retain the practice of using desktop video chips.

superlatic
Jul 6, 2007, 04:28 PM
think we could call it a minor redesign

basically a 2 inch thick ACD with a little bit of a chin?

goodtimes5
Jul 6, 2007, 04:29 PM
This is really good news, sleekness.

pcorajr
Jul 6, 2007, 04:37 PM
Man i hope they really don't wait till August, that is to long of a wait. I really hope Apple makes a announcement soon that is the only wait i would even consider waiting until then.

dartzorichalcos
Jul 6, 2007, 04:39 PM
August, that is to long of a wait.
It's only next month, if the rumor holds true, the most you have to wait until is August 31. It's not that long to wait. ;)

MacRumors
Jul 6, 2007, 04:48 PM
http://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com)

ThinkSecret believes (http://www.thinksecret.com/news/0707imac.html) that the next generation iMac is in line for release in August with a brushed aluminum enclosure at only two inches thick:
The elegant new enclosure will somewhat resemble the current white iMac but is said to feature a shorter space below the actual display, where most of the internals are housed.

The new iMac is expected to be based on the Santa Rosa architecture and will only come in only 20" and 24" flavors with the 17" set to be discontinued.

Our Buyer's Guide (http://buyersguide.macrumors.com/#iMac) notes that it has been 303 days since the last iMac update.

Article Link (http://www.macrumors.com/2007/07/06/brushed-aluminum-imacs-in-august/)

sushi
Jul 6, 2007, 04:50 PM
I'm with you on this.

We have iMacs in the office. The "chin" is a great place to put stickies. The current materials are easy to keep clean.

While I like the metallic Apple displays, I prefer the iMac to be made out of the same type of materials that Apple currently uses -- especially if it remains as thick as it currently is or becomes thicker.

The biggest complaints that I hear about the current iMac is the lack of upgradability. If Apple can create a version that allows RAM & HD upgrading that would be great. The cherry on top would be to add CPU and video card upgrading.

And yes I know, why not go with a Mac Pro? As one of my co-workers said the other day, "the iMac is so simple, no box, no wires, just a nice looking display that has everything" pretty much sums it up.

While I like hearing that the 20" may become the base, I hope they don't loose the 17" version cost wise. I think a cheaper iMac will encourage more switchers from what I've seen. Especially since you can connect a second monitor.

adrianblaine
Jul 6, 2007, 04:51 PM
I hope the 24" receives a price drop as well then.

psychofreak
Jul 6, 2007, 04:51 PM
No other manufacturer can spend this long updating a machine...this new iMac better be awesome! I need something to play with at the Apple Store...

rowanhall
Jul 6, 2007, 04:52 PM
sweet! would be cool if they looked like the apple cinema displays, i'd certainly upgrade my beloved 20" G5!

Rowan

Argon4k
Jul 6, 2007, 04:52 PM
I hope the 24" receives a price drop as well then.If the price of the 24" model drops low enough, I may consider getting one of those instead of the 20". But either way, it's all going to depend on what the internals look like in terms of hardware. I know a lot of people are very eager to see what they do with the video card given Apple's recent announcements at WWDC '07.

macrev
Jul 6, 2007, 04:54 PM
I am holding out too. I have decided to switch back to a desktop, but the MacPro is more than I really need. Plus I think the 24" display is sweet. I would also hope that the price of the 24" will drop, and I would not be surprised if it did to $1599 (since the 23" display price dropped, and when they redo the Cinema Display they will purchase larger quantities of 24" panels) $1599 would be a sweet spot for the 24" with the 20" hitting around $1299 and $1099 (for the base model). Sign me up for the 24" iMac when it comes out soon. I cannot hold out much longer!!!!

psychofreak
Jul 6, 2007, 04:54 PM
And when you're done with it (i.e. the internals are not powerful enough), it will make a great display...

aswitcher
Jul 6, 2007, 04:55 PM
I really hope they manage to make this form factor change do a few other cool things than be a cheap upright MBP with a screen.

User serviceable dual HDDs would be nice. Dual OSs, TimeMachine.

4 user serviceable ram slots! for dual OSs.

Secondary screen? Touchscreen? for widgets and key apps/taskbar (Guess not if the chin is going)

Rotate to portrait mode - nicer support arm

sushi
Jul 6, 2007, 04:55 PM
And when you're done with it (i.e. the internals are not powerful enough), it will make a great display...
This would be a nice feature and selling point.

Mr. MacBook
Jul 6, 2007, 04:56 PM
finally a good imac update

yojitani
Jul 6, 2007, 04:56 PM
Making them thinner would indicate to me that they aren't planning on making them any more expandable - though I would happily accept being wrong about that. My whole issue with iMac is that they aren't expandable enough, at least not if you want to keep your warranty.

YT

DakotaGuy
Jul 6, 2007, 04:57 PM
WOOOOOO HOOOOOOO!!! Ok...after bashing Apple on the last thread for slow development on their computers we finally get some good news!

Maybe Steve saw what I said about him and his company and he decided to give us a little Mac news!!!:D lol

iMikeT
Jul 6, 2007, 04:58 PM
Although the design specs are nothing more than a rumor, it's about damn time that Apple updates the iMac.

Kilamite
Jul 6, 2007, 04:59 PM
At only 2 inches thick?

So it would pretty much look like a MacBook Pro?

Hope they have good ventilation in it if they plan to squash the case down to that size.

superlatic
Jul 6, 2007, 04:59 PM
It's only next month, if the rumor holds true, the most you have to wait until is August 31. It's not that long to wait. ;)

would have to agree with him, ive been holding out as it is, unless it was the very very beginning of aug, as in first few days, aug would be too long.

im still hopefull we will see them late july, think secrets track record lately aint exactly brilliant is it

powerbook911
Jul 6, 2007, 05:00 PM
Be nice if they came with 2 GB of memory too. Then it would be an out of the box solution for me.

However, I don't really get the big deal about 2 inches thick? I don't think mine is much thicker than that if any.

Hairball
Jul 6, 2007, 05:01 PM
My thoughts exactly, however the wife doesn't feel the same. Her thought is that my current iMac is only 13 months old, so no need to upgrade. It may take a couple months to wear her down, but by Christmas I should be able to in everyone else's good fortune.

macanudo
Jul 6, 2007, 05:02 PM
Apple still makes desktops? JK, I guess after all the iPhone hype + my new MBP, I can hardly contain myself. Hopefully the new iMac will be a nice design and good upgrade for those that need it.

kcmac
I am looking forward to a new iMac. However, I hope the brushed aluminum part is false. The current casing is elegant. I hope they stay with that.

iMikeT
If the rumored iMac spec update is true, that it will be in the form factor of looking similar to the Apple Cinema Displays, then in my opinion, the iMac should then be called the "MacBook Pro, Desktop Edition".

psychofreak
Jul 6, 2007, 05:04 PM
This would be a nice feature and selling point.

People who are willing to spend the money on a top-of-the-range Mac Pro, and need a display could look into getting an iMac as a display:

They're not THAT much more than a display, and it would be great for when your machine goes into repair.

You also get the HD (for Time Machine?)...

DakotaGuy
So if this new iMac comes in August do you think Apple will offer a free or discounted upgrade for 10.5? It seems like a lot of people might wait until October to buy a new iMac preloaded with 10.5 since it will be out pretty much right after the new iMac comes.

adrianblaine
I am looking forward to a new iMac. However, I hope the brushed aluminum part is false. The current casing is elegant. I hope they stay with that.

I kind of agree. If they change from the current look, I think I'll miss it. They've changed form factors with things like the MacBook, but they've kept the overall look for quite awhile now...

A Pittarelli
awesome this looks even better than the WWDC imacs! :rolleyes:

Chaszmyr
Jul 6, 2007, 05:05 PM
At only 2 inches thick?

So it would pretty much look like a MacBook Pro?

Hope they have good ventilation in it if they plan to squash the case down to that size.

The current iMac is not much (if any) thicker than 2'', certainly not at the thinnest points. The MacBook Pro is only one inch thick.

Zwhaler
Jul 6, 2007, 05:05 PM
I'm so glad I bought my C2D iMac almost a year ago. Aluminum?? I have a MBP! I don't need an aluminum iMac.

billystlyes
Jul 6, 2007, 05:06 PM
Talk about rehashing the same rumor over and over. Who would imagine that new iMacs are coming? :rolleyes:

Kilamite
Jul 6, 2007, 05:06 PM
Need some artistic sketches as to what people reckon it would look like.

LastLine
Jul 6, 2007, 05:07 PM
I vote negative - I want white imac's, not aluminium :(

Yankees 4 Life
Jul 6, 2007, 05:09 PM
i want one of these really badly... i need a new imac... :(

joshwest
Jul 6, 2007, 05:13 PM
i was holding out, till last wwdc and then i heard the rumor put my 24" iMac on ebay before the wwdc happened it sold but i got 2450$ for it, so i said what the heck and got a mac pro and a 30" :)

eizzumdm
Jul 6, 2007, 05:14 PM
Only 2 inches thick? That would...uh...place it at the exact same thickness as the currently shipping 20-inch iMac.

Eidorian
Jul 6, 2007, 05:14 PM
Please, new computer hardware Apple...

vendettabass
Jul 6, 2007, 05:16 PM
Please, new hardware Apple...

touche! I'd love desktop CPU and RAM though!

DakotaGuy
Jul 6, 2007, 05:20 PM
Along with how they are going to handle the fact that 10.5 might come right after this iMac is released, I wonder what will happen to the lower end of the Mac line.

I guess it's pretty much confirmed at this point that the 17 inch model is going away. Looks like Mac Mini may also be cut.

Is it possible that Apple has something up their sleeve about pricing of this new iMac?

The education market will require to have a lower priced model available, however Macs are becoming a rarity in many school districts around the country. With tight budgets they seem to think the PC solution is the way to go, but in the end it seems to cost them more.

Kilamite
Jul 6, 2007, 05:22 PM
Guess that means aluminum keyboard and mouse to match?

panda
Jul 6, 2007, 05:22 PM
... brushed alu... maybe...
but i would not be surprised if it is even thinner than 2". i mean, how muh volume does one even need? it could even taper down to almos nothing on the edges of the screens is so wanted.
:)

egdiroh
Jul 6, 2007, 05:23 PM
Apple doesn't add a lot of drivers to their old OSes to support new hardware. If this is hardware that was supposed to hit after leopard, and uses any new devices then they would have the increased overhead of getting 10.4 drivers in place for it, which would probably mean diverting more resources from leopard. Given that, I'm really not expecting these machines until October, unlesss they are really really close to the mac book pros.

nagromme
Jul 6, 2007, 05:25 PM
They will absolutely NOT be brushed aluminum. I will bet my MacRumors password on that (street value US$.07 and a graham cracker).

Apple has never used brushed aluminum for any hardware. They have used a brushed look for textured metal windows, but never on physical products.

Many apple products are aluminum, and the new iMacs may well be aluminum too. But no Apple products are BRUSHED aluminum.

Brushing creates a distinctive linear texture... like a brush :) See Safari 2 for instance. Like this. (http://www.fastdecals.com/images/Graphics/BrushedAluminum.jpg) There is no such linear texture on Apple's aluminum hardware. Someone posted that that fine texture Apple uses is called bead-blasted. I wouldn't know. But brushed is a very distinctive look and very different from what Apple uses.

Next week on Ranting With Uncle Nagromme: "Revision B" means the second REVISED version... which is the third release of the product! The first release is not revised at all, and Revision A is the second release.

MrCrowbar
Jul 6, 2007, 05:26 PM
Hmmm, sounds like it's gonna be closer to the current cinema displays. Aluminum has been exclusive for long but the iPod nano, shuffle and iPhone might be indicators that it's coming to the consumer line now.

Actually, aluminum is probably better than what is used for current iMacs. Notice most external HD cases are made of aluminum for better heat dissipation: the whole case gets warm and has a lot of surface to get cooled by the outside airflow. If the innards are placed in a manner that air flow works well, it's totally possible to get the whole thing more compact. The great thing is that heat isn't really an issue for a desktop, besides maybe burning your desk down or melting off your children's hands.

2 hard drive would be great, but don't expect that to happen. It would be great to have 2 drives in RAID for better performance or redundancy, or one as time machine drive, or one for OSX, one for windows, or as one volume using ZFS...

Or how about updated cinema display with a sort of docking connector. You could then piggyback the "computation unit" on the display. When the computation unit is not mounted to the display, the innards like RAM and hard drive(s) are exposed so you can easily upgrade. Again this won't happen.

Maybe black front, silver ring, aluminum back? Think iPhone, just larger. iSight where iPhone's speaker is, Apple logo where iPhone home button is. Done. Remove the black bottom cap to access RAM and hard drive. Proximity sensor powers off the screen when you're too close... scratch that, that would be annoying. :o

Gosh
Jul 6, 2007, 05:26 PM
Please don't let it look like a prosaic screen that people walk by and say "nice screen where's the real computer gear"!

Please have - "a certain somthing" as the French say!

A chin! Lord let it have a chinny chin chin! Show the world that you're not just a display but a whole!

I think it will suprise!:)

MrCrowbar
Jul 6, 2007, 05:29 PM
Next week on Ranting With Uncle Nagromme: "Revision B" means the second REVISED version... which is the third release of the product! The first release is not revised at all, and Revision A is the second release.

Haha. Where do I subscribe to your podcast? :cool:

And shouldn't released 1.0 software be called gamma versions?

nagromme
Jul 6, 2007, 05:29 PM
Aluminum has been exclusive for long but the iPod nano, shuffle and iPhone might be indicators that it's coming to the consumer line now.

Well, the Mac Mini brought aluminum to the consumer line long ago, so the old patterns are gone.

Maybe black front, silver ring, aluminum back? Think iPhone, just larger.

I've always thought a black iMac would look REALLY good, and when the iPhone was released that was exactly my thought. I hope you're right--that would be the coolest looking machine ever!

I do like my white one though.

sushi
Jul 6, 2007, 05:31 PM
I was just thinking back when the PowerMacs came out -- especially the Quicksilver (G4) versions -- and how easy it was to open them up.

What if the new iMac would pop open somehow like that so you could have easy access to the internals for user upgradable RAM, HD & whatnot? Sweet!

bretm
Apple has never made a brushed metal enclosure, why would they start now? Perhaps they will make one like the cinema display, but that's just painted metal. Not brushed.

Cheffy Dave

No,no,no, said smaller, not getting rid of:)

mambodancer
Jul 6, 2007, 05:32 PM
They will absolutely NOT be brushed aluminum. I will bet my MacRumors password on that (street value US$.07 and a graham cracker).

Apple has never used brushed aluminum for any hardware. They have used a brushed look for textured metal windows, but never on physical products.

Many apple products are aluminum, and the new iMacs may well be aluminum too. But no Apple products are BRUSHED aluminum.

Brushing creates a distinctive linear texture... like a brush :) See Safari 2 for instance. Like this. (http://www.fastdecals.com/images/Graphics/BrushedAluminum.jpg) There is no such linear texture on Apple's aluminum hardware. Someone posted that that fine texture Apple uses is called bead-blasted. I wouldn't know. But brushed is a very distinctive look and very different from what Apple uses.

look at the back of the iPhone:D

monkeytap
blu ray drive? please tell me yes...it would go so nice with the screen.

vendettabass
What if the new iMac would pop open somehow like that so you could have easy access to the internals for user upgradable RAM, HD & whatnot? Sweet!

EXACTLY what I want! upgradable GPU would be awesome too

nagromme
Jul 6, 2007, 05:33 PM
look at the back of the iPhone:D

I have. In person. It's NOT brushed :)

Haha. Where do I subscribe to your podcast? :cool:

And shouldn't released 1.0 software be called gamma versions?

I broadcast every Sunday at 6pm Mountain time from my Griffin iTrip. You must be within 12 feet of me to tune in.

My topic for the week after next: the Apple term "unified" for their UI does NOT refer to unifying white and metal windows into one theme, as seen in Leopard. "Unified" refers to removing the line between the title bar of a white window and the toolbar (if any) below it. Unifying the title bar and toolbar together--as seen in Mail and System Preferences, but not seen in many other white apps.

Apple has never made a brushed metal enclosure, why would they start now? Perhaps they will make one like the cinema display, but that's just painted metal. Not brushed.

Well, Apple's aluminum products aren't actually painted either. They are anodized (which adds a clear layer of aluminum oxide for strength) but not painted.

MrCrowbar
Jul 6, 2007, 05:34 PM
Guess that means aluminum keyboard and mouse to match?

An aluminum keyboard sure would make a refreshingly different sound when typing. Not sure it's better than aluminum. Backlighted would be cool tho. I want the Macbook keyboard with a light upward curve and a number pad with the additional F-Keys.

Aluminum mouse... hmmm... errrr... why not?

superlatic
Jul 6, 2007, 05:39 PM
20 inch
2.2 ghz core 2 duo upgradable to 2.4
2GB Ram upgradable to 4gb
320GB HDD upgradable to 750gb
8600M 128mb upgradable to 256
superdrive

24 inch
2.4ghz core 2 duo
2gb ram upgradable to 4
500gb HDD, upgradable to 750
nvidia 8600m gt 256mb stock option, maybe a slightly better one as a bto
superdrive

Praying it will be released before end of this month!!!!

I do not expect user accessible hdd or replacable graphics card or blu ray, but do expect displays will be hdcp compliant so at least users could enjoy the benefits of an external player

DakotaGuy
Jul 6, 2007, 05:40 PM
What would be even cooler is if they offered the colored aluminum just like the iPod Nano...that would be AWESOME!:)

FoxyKaye
Jul 6, 2007, 05:41 PM
And while they're at it, would it kill them to include a card-reader and eSATA, or at the very least FW800? After almost 20 months with no significant improvement in the iMac lineup other than adding C2D and a little speed, and almost a year since even this was added, the new iMacs better damn well massage my feet and make me a margarita as well.

b1wils1
Jul 6, 2007, 05:42 PM
i'm very happy that we have a rumor about a product other than the iphone.
i love the thing, but was suffering from overkill.

Dont Hurt Me
Jul 6, 2007, 05:43 PM
EXACTLY what I want! upgradable GPU would be awesome too
Apples history with Gpu upgrades is pretty weak at best. Dont count on it but I must admit, a All new iMac could entice me, 20 or 21 is all I need but the GPU is prime concern for myself. Integrated and crap-o graphics will kill this deal and I really dont need or want a 24" display in my face to get a decent gpu.

FoxyKaye
Jul 6, 2007, 05:44 PM
I like the new, improved, angry nagromme.

zioxide
Jul 6, 2007, 05:46 PM
Discontinue the 17''? That's stupid. What about schools and places? They don't need huge ****ing monitors. 17'' is the perfect size for schools.

QCassidy352
Jul 6, 2007, 05:50 PM
august?? are you ***** kidding me? spring, then WWDC, then july, now august? 11 months between updates? to go from a core2duo/napa to a core2duo/santa rosa? LAME, apple, very freakin' lame.

MacTheSpoon
Jul 6, 2007, 05:50 PM
This sounds great, if it's true I bet that the new design will be awesome. Can't wait to see it. I would love to see a black anodized aluminum option, though, I bet that would look really cool.

BlakTornado
Jul 6, 2007, 05:51 PM
Backlighted would be cool tho.

Before I stuck with wanting an iMac, I was debating between MB and MBP... I admit that it was the idea of the Backlighted keyboard that made me prefer MBP, and nothing else...

Anyway, I really want this iMac update and soon! I'm hopefully buying in October/November if I have enough, and knowing that new iMacs had been out for a few months before buying would make me feel better because I could read reviews and reports of problems, etc.

raykhrud
Jul 6, 2007, 05:54 PM
Yes! Yes! But wait..
I like the chin... It is great place for stickies...
And I like white color...
Oh my...
Hope it is just rumors...

sonictonic
Jul 6, 2007, 05:56 PM
This is the third time this has been reported. :rolleyes:

THERE IS NO NEWS HERE! :mad:

phalewhale
Jul 6, 2007, 06:03 PM
An aluminum keyboard sure would make a refreshingly different sound when typing. Not sure it's better than aluminum. Backlighted would be cool tho. I want the Macbook keyboard with a light upward curve and a number pad with the additional F-Keys.

Aluminum mouse... hmmm... errrr... why not?

Backlit... that would be really fantastic for my late night computer forays... Still not convinced on Aluminium though. I say black but in current styling. Maybe a few tweaks here and there but no bi changes. I think the current iMac is still fantastic style wise.

However, wasn't there a rumor that the next iMacs would have a "striking new industrial design"? so maybe it will change a lot.

10th Wonder
Jul 6, 2007, 06:09 PM
I have a 12" PB that is beggin me to get an iMac and plus i've been waiting for apple to update the iMacs too! So i am hoping to get one with my tax returns or around when leopard is unleashed.

nemaslov
Jul 6, 2007, 06:16 PM
Only 2 inches thick? That would...uh...place it at the exact same thickness as the currently shipping 20-inch iMac.

My Intel 24" is 1.5" thick-exactly-well at least on the sides. It expands a bit in the back.You know they will do the brushed aluminum with beveled edges to emulate the iPhone...I bet!

Half Glass
Jul 6, 2007, 06:20 PM
Sounds to me like a good time to wait and buy one of the white iMacs with a chin for a signifigant discount. Walk into the Apple store and talk the day the new form factor are announced.

Seriously--aren't the SR benefits are more for battery life? Would speed be that noticable (FSB?)?

Of course more features as requested above such as card reader, better GPU, etc would make it a more difficult choice.

Pricing will also be interesting on the new model.

Hmm...

-HG

EagerDragon
Jul 6, 2007, 06:24 PM

Oh, and a decent graphics card to play these new games we heard about at WWDC
Somehow I was under the impression that the current iMac was 2 inches think already.

Chosenbydestiny
Jul 6, 2007, 06:26 PM
All these new products before Leopard release, It's so hard to resist!

zedsdead
Jul 6, 2007, 06:30 PM
I really was hoping for a black iMac. If the new ones do not have more than one hard drive, the maybe then fabled "mac pro mini tower" might make its appearance.

phalewhale
Jul 6, 2007, 06:35 PM
Somehow I was under the impression that the current iMac was 2 inches think already.

Not according to Apple (http://store.apple.com/Catalog/regional/amr/imac/img/gallery-big-01.jpg) they're not.

It's either 1.5 inches or 1.4 inches.

sam10685
Jul 6, 2007, 06:48 PM
It was exactly 10 months ago today that Apple introduced the current iMac—which in and of itself represented only a minor speed bump from the first-generation Intel iMac

They're obviously up to somethin. Touch display's??

icsedge1
Jul 6, 2007, 06:51 PM

thank you. i think i will include this in my sig henceforth!

Sedge

Yankees 4 Life
Jul 6, 2007, 06:57 PM
They're obviously up to somethin. Touch display's??

a touch display would be too tedius because youd be stretching your arm all the time... maybe a touchscreen mouse

ncbill
Jul 6, 2007, 07:13 PM
Hoping for a base $1099 20" model (so there's still a $999 price point for edu users)

A price point that low would entail some compromises, e.g. integrated graphics, combo optical drive, maybe even a 160GB hard drive.

guzhogi
Jul 6, 2007, 07:18 PM
This is kinda "meh" to me. Good that it'll get a speed bump. Hope it's more than a MBP in a cinema screen. Should be a bit more powerful. IMO, the cinema screens are cool looking. All they need is higher res and built in iSight. I agree w/ those that say the chin needs to go. Kinda sad about the 17" going. It's a good size for those who don't need a huge screen, plus less expensive. I work in an elementary school that has all Macs and we're getting new computers this year. Right now, there's a $500 difference between the lowest price 17" iMac & the 20". That's a lot of money. Even w/ an educational bulk discount, that's still a lot.

typecase
Jul 6, 2007, 07:22 PM
I thought that these were supposed to be "radical" new industrial designs that would make other manufacturer's jealous. Making the chin smaller seems kind of obvious. :rolleyes: I'm hoping for something else. Perhaps a small element of perforated aluminum a la G5 and Apple's current pro line of notebooks.

monkeytap
Jul 6, 2007, 07:23 PM
This sounds great, if it's true I bet that the new design will be awesome. Can't wait to see it. I would love to see a black anodized aluminum option, though, I bet that would look really cool.

i agree with the black, the iphone was hopefully a start in that direction. why wouldnt this be a good time to start including blu ray drives/burners? according to rumors its long over due, is it not?

Sabon
Jul 6, 2007, 07:23 PM
Please don't let it look like a prosaic screen that people walk by and say "nice screen where's the real computer gear"!

Please have - "a certain somthing" as the French say!

A chin! Lord let it have a chinny chin chin! Show the world that you're not just a display but a whole!

I think it will suprise!:)

I have a 24" iMac and even with the chin everyone already asks where the computer is. I practically have to take it apart to show them it is behind and below the screen.

Since I take my iMac back and forth between home and work (yes I think different) instead of a laptop I hope they make them lighter and easier to haul.

PS: I'll get a laptop when they have BUILT-IN 24" screens. Until then, I lug my iMac.

PSS: How about the top end of the iMacs being a 30" screen. Sounds good to me.

Digitaljim
Jul 6, 2007, 07:25 PM
I was just thinking back when the PowerMacs came out -- especially the Quicksilver (G4) versions -- and how easy it was to open them up.

This is not going to happen.

Remember that the PowerMac was a pro machine. Pro users pay for that expandability, whereas Apple hopes 'consumers' simply 'consume' the iMac then replace it entirely. Sort of like Swatch watches.

For what it's worth, I hope they keep the white ipod-style look and simply change the form factor to something sleeker and funkier... maybe borrow design elements from the G4 iMac "iLamp". And offer black/tangerine/aqua/snot coloured versions. :rolleyes:

Sabon
Jul 6, 2007, 07:26 PM
And while they're at it, would it kill them to include a card-reader and eSATA, or at the very least FW800? After almost 20 months with no significant improvement in the iMac lineup other than adding C2D and a little speed, and almost a year since even this was added, the new iMacs better damn well massage my feet and make me a margarita as well.

My 24" iMac DOES have FW800.

Dimwhit
Jul 6, 2007, 07:27 PM
Am I the only one that could give a damn what the new iMac looks like? I just want a new one! Give me a 24" with 2GB RAM, a 500GB hard drive, and a decent graphic card standard, with maybe a slight price drop, and that's all I care about.

They could make the damned thing fuchsia-color with butterflies and dandylions painted on it and I'll buy it.

Frisco
Jul 6, 2007, 07:30 PM
My 24" iMac DOES have FW800.

Yeah the 24" has one FireWire 400 and one FireWire 800 ports. The 17 and 20" only have 2 FireWire 400 ports.

Digitaljim
Jul 6, 2007, 07:39 PM
http://www.gizmowatch.com/images/future_imac1.jpg

Keep it under your hats guys, but this is the new 24" iMac complete with HK T-Bliss wireless speakers and Apple's new Clear-Touch keyboard.

eroomdoc
Jul 6, 2007, 07:49 PM
They could make the damned thing fuchsia-color with butterflies and dandylions painted on it and I'll buy it.

I think SJ/ Apple knows that.. they keep the mac fans in suspense, we buy anyway.

Folk that haven't ever seen a mac before that just happen upon the iMac or other mac in a store during a shopping trip THIS MONTH (please don't make me wait til August!) will likely say, "ooh pretty," and also buy! Win-win for them.

Apple is good at what they do..

::wonders how come Apple hasn't started a media relations/advertising firm yet::

eroomdoc
Jul 6, 2007, 07:51 PM

Keep it under your hats guys, but this is the new 24" iMac complete with HK T-Bliss wireless speakers and Apple's new Clear-Touch keyboard.

Dear Santa of the Summer, please mark me down for that one.

Stridder44
Jul 6, 2007, 07:55 PM

You have no room to talk. 17" iMac G4. 800Mhz. 512 RAM. Slow 80 GB HD. I've seen her make grown men cry. This is a most welcomed revision.

And for serious now, if it took them this long to develop an iMac thats gonna look pretty much like a Cinema Display (from the way it's being described) then they might want to think about getting a little more creative.

dirtleg
Jul 6, 2007, 07:56 PM
Gees, I'm glad most of the posters on this thread are not on the Apple design team for the new iMac. Some serious lack of imagination being shown here. From history the longer Apple waits to upgrade something, the more dramatic the changes are. 'Course I'm just speculating here, but I anticipate an upgrade that will surprise and dazzle the masses. Look at the last several generations of the iMac, and I am not talking about speed bumps or hardware upgrades. Each new generation has made a splash not only with computer (or Mac) enthusiasts, but have made newspaper, TV and periodical news as headlines for their ingenuity and vision, not to mention creative styling.
The 'aluminum' look is like announcing the color choices on a new model automobile. I am sure the 'guts' of the machine will leave most of us panting for a new iMac and many of us laying down the dollars to get one.
We have been waiting for six months or more for our upgrade from the venerable old G3 which has served us well, but has reached retirement age in our home. I can hang for a few more weeks. And the Leopard upgrade just gives me something to look forward to later in the fall.

It's all good. :cool:

GFLPraxis
Jul 6, 2007, 07:58 PM
Aw, I was hoping that the redesign was to allow it to handle cooling Conroe. Oh well!

I hope the performance difference between this and my 2 GHz Core Duo MacBook will be enough to justify me buying one. 0.4 GHz doesn't seem like a huge jump; just the much bigger graphics card. But we'll see.

Synchro
Jul 6, 2007, 07:59 PM
I don't really care about the iMac, I just want an update to the Mac Mini. It's about the world's most cost-effective, energy-efficient server.

phalewhale
Jul 6, 2007, 08:00 PM

Remember that the PowerMac was a pro machine. Pro users pay for that expandability, whereas Apple hopes 'consumers' simply 'consume' the iMac then replace it entirely. Sort of like Swatch watches.

For what it's worth, I hope they keep the white ipod-style look and simply change the form factor to something sleeker and funkier... maybe borrow design elements from the G4 iMac "iLamp". And offer black/tangerine/aqua/snot coloured versions. :rolleyes:

Didn't the orignal G5 iMac have a removable back so you could access RAM/HD etc?

Kwill
Jul 6, 2007, 08:17 PM

Touch-screen a' la iPhone would be sweet but not translucent; it would simply be impossible to color correct photos. Besides, the bar with baby iMac lamp version attachment is too ugly. :eek:

Wie Gehts
Jul 6, 2007, 08:18 PM
:apple: = too little technology for too much money

CalBoy
Jul 6, 2007, 08:23 PM
While this simply adds to what we have been expecting, I voted negative because of the reported 2" thin enclosure. I just think that making it that thin might cause problems later on. Why have the risk of laptop components breaking down in a desktop?
Also, an aluminum case sounds good, but I think the classic white has its good points too. Maybe an option for one or the other will be available.

dual64bit
Jul 6, 2007, 08:31 PM
I don't really care about the iMac, I just want an update to the Mac Mini. It's about the world's most cost-effective, energy-efficient server.

Good point.

sushi
Jul 6, 2007, 08:37 PM

I realize that the PowerMac was a pro computer. I also remember the 840av was as well in it's time. To open an 840av was to chance making bloody knuckles. The PowerMac case was a nice departure from the old days.

Yes, the iMac is a consumer machine. No doubt about it.

But things evolve over time. Someday we may see an iMac version that has more upgradability by the end user. Not holding my breath, but would like to see it.

pieman02
Jul 6, 2007, 08:42 PM
Why would Apple announce that brushed metal is dead in Leopard, then release new brushed-metal iMacs :confused:

nopenone
Jul 6, 2007, 08:46 PM
Why would Apple announce that brushed metal is dead in Leopard, then release new brushed-metal iMacs :confused:

iphone == the new white.

The old imac g5 was obviously designed to resemble the iPod. the new ones'll prolly have rounded edges in front and a black plastic bottom. with an apple logo power button where the home button goes.

MacFly123
Jul 6, 2007, 08:48 PM
... brushed alu... maybe...
but i would not be surprised if it is even thinner than 2". i mean, how muh volume does one even need? it could even taper down to almos nothing on the edges of the screens is so wanted.

I'm a little confused. I just measured my CoreDuo iMac and its only 1.5" so they are gunna make it .5" fatter??? That would suck :( 2" is pretty thick.

flopticalcube
Jul 6, 2007, 08:49 PM
Perhaps Apple will be extra nice and give us the chance to upgrade to the X7800 or X7900 CPU.

iMac Xtreme

billystlyes
Jul 6, 2007, 08:59 PM

I would like to see some movement on the headless front. I'm no longer interested in the AIO form factor. The term "niche product" comes to mind.

aliquis-
Jul 6, 2007, 09:06 PM
very dissappointed if true on a personal level, as I can hold out till july (which is pushing it big time) but not august!!!

still have some hope we will see them late this monthIt would be soo retarded to buy one now so close to an update and for a redicilous high price for what you get. Wait!
Same here. I currently have a 2.0Ghz G5, and although there is NOTHING wrong with it, I just want a new Mac!Why? What's wrong with a 2GHz G5? That would work very fine for me.

Rich.Replacable graphics? Won't happen.Hopefully they will retain the practice of using desktop video chips.I don't see what's so great with that if they aren't much cheaper or faster, but is the 8600M GT really so much slower than a real 8600 GT? Amount of stream processors and clock rates seems similair.If the price of the 24" model drops low enough, I may consider getting one of those instead of the 20". But either way, it's all going to depend on what the internals look like in terms of hardware. I know a lot of people are very eager to see what they do with the video card given Apple's recent announcements at WWDC '07.I really doubt it will be anything special, it's not like Apple is after or even care about gamers :(

Just Jobs hyping a lame not-even-a-port of some games.And when you're done with it (i.e. the internals are not powerful enough), it will make a great display...That's the WORST part with iMacs, you can't use them as displays (can you? Even if you can they are huge and ugly as displays) and if the display die they will look real ****** connected to another one...

Keebler
Jul 6, 2007, 09:08 PM
No other manufacturer can spend this long updating a machine...this new iMac better be awesome! I need something to play with at the Apple Store...

psycho...you are right. it's been a long time. let's hope they bust our balls in a good way with this one.

i was looking at buying a G5 imac to mount on my kitchen wall, but if the 20" can be mounted...oh boy. i was hoping for an older machine, but screw it....i might get a new one :)

Multimedia
Jul 6, 2007, 09:14 PM
My best guess is one of these renderings.

MacFly123
Jul 6, 2007, 09:15 PM

The 24" has had FireWire 800 for a while :)

zedsdead
Jul 6, 2007, 09:16 PM
I'm a little confused. I just measured my CoreDuo iMac and its only 1.5" so they are gunna make it .5" fatter??? That would suck :( 2" is pretty thick.

If it is going to be thicker, maybe they will finally be using the Intel Core 2 Quad or Extreme Processors. That would be nice then.

dontwalkhand
Jul 6, 2007, 09:25 PM

Rich.

The HDD and RAM are not that hard to get to in a current gen iMac. GPU on the other hand...

:apple: = too little technology for too much money

I do not agree, Apple has the most technology of all the computer manufacturers out there. Sure it may not be the fastest beast out there, but nothing can beat Mac OS.

chris?
Jul 6, 2007, 09:27 PM
dear god i've been waiting for 4 like a year to switch and now another month??? frick...:(

my pc is literally falling apart and its defiantly time to switch

24" or 20"?

if i get the 20" i can upgrade the processor to 2.33 and 2gb ram...but the 24" display is crazy cool and i know i will love it...

BKKbill
Jul 6, 2007, 09:27 PM
All I know is that I'm still waiting and a 24" iMac is starting to the one guess I will just have to pay extra when the new OP comes out. Life is tough.

DaBrain
Jul 6, 2007, 09:38 PM
Making them thinner would indicate to me that they aren't planning on making them any more expandable - though I would happily accept being wrong about that. My whole issue with iMac is that they aren't expandable enough, at least not if you want to keep your warranty.

YT

I don't see how 2 inches is thinner as I just measured my 20 inch iMac width and it currently measures 1.5 inches. Not that it matters to me but 2 inchs is not thinner in my iBook--)))

AidenShaw
Jul 6, 2007, 09:50 PM
If I get the 20" I can upgrade the processor to 2.33 and 2gb ram...but the 24" display is crazy cool and I know I will love it...

Any new system will be Santa Rosa, with a 200 MHz clock multiplier. You'll see 2.0, 2.2, 2.4 - not 2.0, 2.16, 2.33,...

The best part, though, is that you'll get a new keyboard with a shift key that works - so that you can type "I" instead of "i" and join the rest of the English-speaking world...

mikerol
Jul 6, 2007, 09:53 PM
dear god i've been waiting for 4 like a year to switch and now another month??? frick...:(

my pc is literally falling apart and its defiantly time to switch

24" or 20"?

if i get the 20" i can upgrade the processor to 2.33 and 2gb ram...but the 24" display is crazy cool and i know i will love it...

Man, you want to talk about falling apart. I'm still using my G3 iMac graphite from 2000. Editing video is a real dream. Started looking at the new iMac's in May, then heard an update is coming. I've been waiting and waiting. Permission from the wife is a go. $2,500 burning a hole in my bank account. Now just get the damn 24's out there Apple. Bigger, better, faster, stronger. Come on already. My little G3 is practically smoking and leaking oil just trying to retouch images.

CalBoy
Jul 6, 2007, 09:54 PM
The best part, though, is that you'll get a new keyboard with a shift key that works - so that you can type "I" instead of "i" and join the rest of the English-speaking world...

Well, lazy typing aside, it's a sad truth that most of America can't read or write correctly. That's one thing I envy about Britain and its education system. My dad went through it and his spelling and grammar are leagues ahead of most Americans with a college degree:eek:

mikerol
Jul 6, 2007, 10:00 PM
Well, lazy typing aside, it's a sad truth that most of America can't read or write correctly. That's one thing I envy about Britain and its education system. My dad went through it and his spelling and grammar are leagues ahead of most Americans with a college degree:eek:

That just ain't true. My spilling and grammer is just grate. Your'e rong. Dedd rong.

Half Glass
Jul 6, 2007, 10:03 PM
Permission from the wife is a go. $2,500 burning a hole in my bank account.

If you're willing to spend $2500, why don't you get a "low end" MacPro ($2200 plus even less if you can get academic discount) and then buy a non-Apple ie reasonable large LCD?

Even a revamped iMac won't be a MacPro. Then it'll last you as long or longer than the G3!!

--HG

DaBrain
Jul 6, 2007, 10:04 PM

The one on the right looks sweet to me! Wonder what the matching keyboard would look like?

DoFoT9
Jul 6, 2007, 10:04 PM
this is very good news!!! dad said he will be getting one as soon as they are released!!! bring it :)

@ phakebill

whos anarchy???

mikerol
Jul 6, 2007, 10:08 PM
If you're willing to spend $2500, why don't you get a "low end" MacPro ($2200 plus even less if you can get academic discount) and then buy a non-Apple ie reasonable large LCD?

Even a revamped iMac won't be a MacPro. Then it'll last you as long or longer than the G3!!

--HG

Yeah, I've thought about going that route. And still might. I just want to see what the new iMac brings. I've been so happy with mine for the last 7 years. There's just something really cool about the self-contained look and feel of iMac. But I may go the MacPro route. Thanks for the thought.

Multimedia
Jul 6, 2007, 10:10 PM

--HGMight even have 8 cores for the same money when they also get revised in August. iMacs may have 4 cores inside as well.

Object-X
Jul 6, 2007, 10:10 PM
Is this the end of the white enclosures? Is the iPhone the harbinger of future design for the home line of products?

I don't really get this. If if looks like a cinema display how are the Pro and Home product lines going to be distinguished?

I could see them creating a 6th gen iPod that looks just like the iPhone. So, the iMac would need to look similar. Well, whatever, I'm sure I will like it.

CalBoy
Jul 6, 2007, 10:11 PM
whos anarchy???

You don't mean who is (who's) anarchy do you? I think you mean whose anarchy. Wow, talk about just three posts ago:rolleyes:

ImAlwaysRight
Jul 6, 2007, 10:13 PM
You're dad must be tottally awwesome. Il'l bett he kan spel betterr than most Amerikans. Maybe he kan set up a email spel chek servise at home. So coledge kids kan send there papers to him to have him chek them. He kould git rich. And then u inherit it all and buy more Imacs.

CalBoy
Jul 6, 2007, 10:16 PM
And then u inherit it all and buy more Imacs.

Please. If I had that kind of money, it would be nothing but mbps, iPhones, and Mac Pros with everything on them:cool:

chris?
Jul 6, 2007, 10:19 PM

Hmm. Who actually cares?

Correct me if i'm wrong. The point of this thread is to discuss the upcoming iMac update? Take a chill pill and maybe your head out of your ass? :)

Also. I'm Australian, does everyone here know where A-U-S-T-R-A-L-I-A is?

KindredMAC
Jul 6, 2007, 10:22 PM

I really like the look of the Black one on the right but it is treading too closely to an HP LCD monitor family that has been out for a while.

Tampa Tom
with a full size touch screen keyboard like on the iPhone. Either that or a "green" iMac made out of recycled cardboard and kitty litter. Either will make me happy.

ceruleanventure
Anyone else tired of white, black and aluminum?

As much as I love my current iMac, I really miss the colors of the G3s. While computers need to be powerful, colors make them FUN. I still get comments on my tangerine iBook when I use it in a wireless hotspot. Usually the comments includes something like "I remember these, they're cute" or "I wish Apple still made things like this"

Now I don't know if "cute" comes to mind in what you want for a computer, I just wish that Apple would breathe some life into their (in my opinion) rather dull lineup. Would it be that hard to bring back colors as an option? I mean if they could do that in the 90s, why not now?

AidenShaw
Jul 6, 2007, 10:23 PM
Hmm. Who actually cares?

Correct me if i'm wrong. The point of this thread is to discuss the upcoming iMac update? Take a chill pill and maybe your head out of your ass? :)

Yes, and Queensland is my favourite part. Port Douglas is a fantastic place, and Daintree is like a trip back to an earlier epoch.

DoFoT9
Jul 6, 2007, 10:30 PM
Might even have 8 cores for the same money when they also get revised in August. iMacs may have 4 cores inside as well.

yup agreed at least one imac will have 4 cores, i heard some apple emplyee guy say it, not sure if he knew for sure (highly doubt it) but he seemed pretty sure about it. i want one!!

urbanskywalker
Jul 6, 2007, 10:31 PM
Groan! More dates that keep slipping ever further away. If August passes then it will be wait until September.

CalBoy
Jul 6, 2007, 10:34 PM
Hmm. Who actually cares?

I notice your shift key was working for this post:rolleyes:
While the point of this post is about the iMac update, the apathy shown by certain posters (not just you) tells us just how lazy some people are when it comes to writing/typing correctly. Believe it or not, but accuracy in language is important; it isn't a matter of being snobby.

Australia is a beautiful country. Your first post was insulting to other Australians, who normally write/type very well. I assumed you were an American because that kind of apathy is seen most in Americans.

Tampa Tom
Jul 6, 2007, 10:35 PM
Well har in Floriduh we be uh fixin to get them there skools straitened out sos they teach us kids right. DAMN! I thought I lived in a hick state when I was in Kansas. Florida takes the cake for the hickest people prize

ON SUBJECT- Get me a new iMac. I sold my wife's 17" iMac G5 thinking new iMacs were around the corner, she's tired of the 12 iBook G4 and she's been heavily eyeing my 20" G5 iSight. It truly was one of the last ones made as I picked it up new weeks after the intel announcement

DoFoT9
Jul 6, 2007, 10:36 PM
I notice your shift key was working for this post:rolleyes:
While the point of this post is about the iMac update, the apathy shown by certain posters (not just you) tells us just how lazy some people are when it comes to writing/typing correctly. Believe it or not, but accuracy in language is important; it isn't a matter of being snobby.

Australia is a beautiful country. Your first post was insulting to other Australians, who normally write/type very well. I assumed you were an American because that kind of apathy is seen most in Americans.

us aussies haev a very good nature, but will snap at anything that bugs us.. like little mozzies!!! damn those are annoying

CalBoy
Jul 6, 2007, 10:37 PM
Groan! More dates that keep slipping ever further away. If August passes then it will be wait until September.

Your post made me think: what if Apple wants a yearly update for their desktops? We're getting pretty darn close to a year now. If this is the case, then it would be highly inappropriate.

pcorajr
Jul 6, 2007, 10:37 PM
Am I the only one that could give a damn what the new iMac looks like? I just want a new one! Give me a 24" with 2GB RAM, a 500GB hard drive, and a decent graphic card standard, with maybe a slight price drop, and that's all I care about.

AMEN I'm with you on this one. All i want is to know when the damn things are going to be here. But Apple believes in surprises, and its killing me !!! Well at least the credit card is not here yet so i cant buy one

CalBoy
Jul 6, 2007, 10:40 PM
Well har in Floriduh we be uh fixin to get them there skools straitened out sos they teach us kids right. DAMN! I thought I lived in a hick state when I was in Kansas. Florida takes the cake for the hickest people prize

ON SUBJECT- Get me a new iMac. I sold my wife's 17" iMac G5 thinking new iMacs were around the corner, she's tired of the 12 iBook G4 and she's been heavily eyeing my 20" G5 iSight. It truly was one of the last ones made as I picked it up new weeks after the intel announcement

California is pretty bad too. Don't let the movie stars fool you, we're all pretty bad when it comes to schools.

ON SUBJECT- Your wife doesn't want a notebook to replace her iBook? At the very least, one of you should have a notebook for some portability. Maybe a Macbook+iMac combo would work.

whatever
Jul 6, 2007, 10:40 PM
The next iMac will be white, not brush metal.

The white casing of the iMac has become a part of the branding of the product.

Yes, the case will change, but it will not have the industrial design of the ACD or the Mac Pros (thank God).

DoFoT9
Jul 6, 2007, 10:49 PM
The next iMac will be white, not brush metal.

The white casing of the iMac has become a part of the branding of the product.

Yes, the case will change, but it will not have the industrial design of the ACD or the Mac Pros (thank God).

oh really??? i spose it would look a lot better. what do u think are the chances of a black case option in say the 24' inch are??

chris?
Jul 6, 2007, 10:52 PM
Anyways, off the topic of my poor grammar.

iMacs. What would everyone think is going to be most value for money model? Has anyone bought a 20" and regretted the screen size? I don't know too much bout the specs so i'm a bit unsure bout what specs are appropriate for me? I will need it for Archicad and other 3D modeling programs and also photoshop...

Just a bit of advice is all i'm looking for.

Cheers

twoodcc
Jul 6, 2007, 11:14 PM
sounds good. the sooner the better

corywoolf
Jul 6, 2007, 11:14 PM
I don't like the idea of brushed aluminum on the iMac, how about anodized aluminum? Just saying?!? :D

Rojo
Jul 6, 2007, 11:21 PM
Does anyone else think if they go with an aluminum enclosure and less chin (basically like a cinema display) with significantly bumped up specs, they might actually come up with a new NAME for iMacs? Maybe finally lose the "i"? After all, they dropped it from iBooks. So you would still have Mac PROS, and then you'd have this new type called.... um.... well... Mac BASIC is just wrong, and so is Mac CONSUMER...

Maybe just simply.... I don't know... MAC? (I know, I know... revolutionary!) Add a year to signify which version, or something.

Or maybe not. ;)

As for the look of the new models, I think the aluminum rumor is kind of boring, actually. What's to differentiate it from a cinema display?

And the version that looked like an iPhone was just silly.

THIS version is wrong on so many levels:

A see-through screen? That would be a total lack of privacy. But at least this example is going in a whole new, unexpected direction. I'm HOPING a new model is as different as the current version was to the lamp version (which was in itself very different from the first iMac).

blueskyrocket
Jul 6, 2007, 11:22 PM
Anyways, off the topic of my poor grammar.

iMacs. What would everyone think is going to be most value for money model? Has anyone bought a 20" and regretted the screen size? I don't know too much bout the specs so i'm a bit unsure bout what specs are appropriate for me? I will need it for Archicad and other 3D modeling programs and also photoshop...

Just a bit of advice is all i'm looking for.

Cheers

Well, here is my 2c. I currently use a 20" G5 iMac (without iSight camera) and my main use is Apple's Aperture. Aside from the CPU JUST being able to handle Aperture, it's the screen size I long for. Given you'll be using Archicad/Photoshop, I'd think its screen real estate you should be lusting after as well. Therefore, it the 24" model for you and me. If they brought out a 30" model (nice dream) it would too close to call as to wether you jump for the Mac Pro models. I find I tend to lust for a new machine about every three years or so. Aperture was not even out when I bought my iMac, so this is a good case of what I ask my machine to do changes over its life. I bought a BTO with 400Gb HDD and maxed out the RAM (2Gb) and bought the extended Applecare warranty. Its been a good computer. I tend too look at my computer costs as a $$$'s per year thing. So I try to keep my new hardware purchases and expected usefull life to around the $100 - $120 per month, a figure I can afford. So to wrap up, my biggest motivation to considering a new model is the size/quality of the screen.

CalBoy
Jul 6, 2007, 11:27 PM
Might even have 8 cores for the same money when they also get revised in August. iMacs may have 4 cores inside as well.

Very likely. I think after this much time, Apple better give us something really, really good.

chris?
Jul 6, 2007, 11:28 PM
Very very helpful thanks! 24" it is, unless a 30"...we can all dream haha

ImAlwaysRight
Jul 6, 2007, 11:29 PM
At least with the mock-ups we know what the new iMac will NOT look like. :)

As for me, I'm waiting for the next AppleInsider rumor on the iMacs. TS is the only one so far to say new enclosure will be AL. I'll believe it when I see it.

BKKbill
Jul 6, 2007, 11:34 PM
Hmm. Who actually cares?

Shouldn't that be Adelaide, Australia. :rolleyes:

flopticalcube
Jul 6, 2007, 11:37 PM
I don't see what's so great with that if they aren't much cheaper or faster, but is the 8600M GT really so much slower than a real 8600 GT? Amount of stream processors and clock rates seems similair.I really doubt it will be anything special, it's not like Apple is after or even care about gamers :(

The 8600GTS is nearly twice as fast as the M GT. It would make a HUGE difference.

Mobility 3dmark06: 3566 (http://www.notebookcheck.net/Mobile-Graphics-Cards-Benchmark-List.844.0.html?&or=&search=&sort=3dmark06)

Desktop 3dmark06: 5320 (http://www.ocworkbench.com/2007/nvidia/8600GTS/b2.htm).

32 vs 16 stream processors even for the GT.

OutThere
Jul 6, 2007, 11:37 PM
I don't see apple turning to metal for the consumer models...they've had that distinction for a long time now, no reason to change and make their product lines confusing. :rolleyes:

mambodancer
Jul 6, 2007, 11:43 PM
I think we all need to get ready for a radically different approach to personal computing in this next revision of the iMac. I suspect that the reason iMacs have been delayed are for these reasons:

1-iPhone and the introduction of new technologies built around OS X (10.5), touch screen and gestures. If you think the iPhone is cool, wait till you see it on the desktop
2-the release of 10.5 in October which will likely include iPhone technologies not demoed at WWDC (again, gestures)
3-iLife is rumored to have gone golden master. Expect major changes to most if not all applications to support gestures
4-Apples latest web site update screams gestures
5-rumors of a gestural mouse and track pads (in future laptop systems)
6-scale the iPhone screen technolgies up and build that into iMacs and Laptops. The next version of these systems will have virtual, but full sized keyboards. Remember that rumor not too long ago? (Can some one find that post?)
7-Persistant rumors of an iMac case remodel. It is time for the plastic white casing of the iMac to go away (IMO). Look to the iPhone for styling and materials ideas. I think, brushed aluminum back casing, black (or white) inner front shell casing with built in isight and impact resistant glass touch screen.
8-rumors of 3 finger gestural commands in iPhone OS may hint at two handed controls and other UI innovations.
9-I wouldn't be at all surprised if this next version of the iMac could be made to lay flat or at a slight angle on the desktop.
10-Expect Video iPods to be released, using iPhone technologies, ahead of any iMac. I suspect iPods will still be HD based with capacities of upwards to 160GB.
11-300 plus days and counting since the last iMac Rev. Apple could have easily had an incremental revision in this time. To do so now, in my mind, wouldn't make much sense. Again, leads me to suspect a much bigger product announcement once the iPhone hooplah dies down a bit.
12-New version of Safari supports adjustable fields for entering information. Again, pinch or 2 finger resizing gestural support?

I really think that a lot of these rumors are converging to something very different than we might expect. Whether it comes this August or September or at MacWorld in January is open to speculation too. If it is announced and ready to ship this year, and if it ships ahead of Leopard, and if I am right about the screen and gestural support then I would expect they would ship with coupons for free (not including shipping charges) upgrades to 10.5.

This is my 2 cents based on what I've read into the disparate rumors and the connections I've made that seem to converge to something like this.

But then again, it could be a heck of a lot of wishful thinking on my part and It is so darn hard to be patient and wait with the rest of you!

DoFoT9
Jul 6, 2007, 11:43 PM
8800 GTS 320MB !!!! hahahahahahaha...

ok my dreaming is over

has apple like signed a deal with nvidia or nething? do we kno for sure that they are going to use nvidia, or are ati still a possibility?

i think that black one could be summin. suits the ifone

flopticalcube
Jul 6, 2007, 11:45 PM
8800 GTS 320MB !!!! hahahahahahaha...

ok my dreaming is over

has apple like signed a deal with nvidia or nething? do we kno for sure that they are going to use nvidia, or are ati still a possibility?

i think that black one could be summin. suits the ifone

Given that they ditched ATI on the MBP, I would say that nVidia is going to be the one. Particularly now that AMD owns ATI. I would love to see an 8800anything as an option.

chris?
Jul 6, 2007, 11:45 PM
Shouldn't that be Adelaide, Australia. :rolleyes:

Happy? geez you ppl are picky :p

CalBoy
Jul 6, 2007, 11:47 PM
I think we all need to get ready for a radically different approach to personal computing in this next revision of the iMac. I suspect that the reason iMacs have been delayed are for these reasons:

1-iPhone and the introduction of new technologies built around OS X (10.5), touch screen and gestures. If you think the iPhone is cool, wait till you see it on the desktop
2-the release of 10.5 in October which will likely include iPhone technologies not demoed at WWDC (again, gestures)
3-iLife is rumored to have gone golden master. Expect major changes to most if not all applications to support gestures
6-scale the iPhone screen technolgies up and build that into iMacs and Laptops. The next version of these systems will have virtual, but full sized keyboards. Remeber that rumor not too long ago? (Can some one find that post?)
7-Persistant rumors of an iMac case remodel. It is time for the plastic white casing of the iMac to go away (IMO). Look to the iPhone for styling and materials ideas. I think, brushed aluminum back casing, black (or white) inner from casing with built in isight and impact resistant glass touch screen.
8-rumors of 3 finger gestural commands in iPhone OS may hint at two handed controls and other UI innovations.
9-I wouldn't be at all surprised if this next version of the iMac could be made to lay flat or at a slight angle on the desktop.
10-Expect Video iPods to be released, using iPhone technologies, ahead of any iMac. I suspect iPods will still be HD based with capacities of upwards to 160GB.
11-300 plus days and counting since the last iMac Rev. Apple could have easily had an incremental revision in this time. To do so now, in my mind, wouldn't make much sense. Again, leads me to suspect a much bigger product announcement once the iPhone hooplah dies down abit.

I really think that a lot of these rumors are converging to something very different than we might expect. Whether it comes this August or September or at MacWorld in January is open to speculation too. If it is announced and ready to ship this year, and if it ships ahead of Leopard, and if I am right about the screen and gestural support then I would expect they would ship with coupons for free (not including shipping charges) upgrades to 10.5.

This is my 2 cents based on what I've read into the disparate rumors and the connections I've made that seem to converge to something like this.

But then again, it could be a heck of a lot of wishful thinking on my part and It is so darn hard to be patient and wait with the rest of you!

Most of that will happen, just not in the next few months. Those things will be rolled out over a few years, not in one update. I also still fail to see the amazing thing about touchscreen computers. The iPhone makes sense, but my computer? No thank you. I'd like that to stay finger-print free. The virtual keyboard does sound intersting though...maybe we can finally get that 11 or 12" mbp then:)

DoFoT9
Jul 6, 2007, 11:51 PM
Most of that will happen, just not in the next few months. Those things will be rolled out over a few years, not in one update. I also still fail to see the amazing thing about touchscreen computers. The iPhone makes sense, but my computer? No thank you. I'd like that to stay finger-print free. The virtual keyboard does sound intersting though...maybe we can finally get that 11 or 12" mbp then:)

imo touchscreen computers, especially desktops will not be all that popular nor wanted. imagine having to sit right up at your computer with your hand raised all the time.. unelss apple brings out something innovative. which they do! maybe one of those touch pads that connects to you computer. like those whiteboard markers.

an 11 or 12' mbp with touchscreen would be quite good. not sure on how the power of it would be, but v v nice.

laser keyboards anyone??? ;)

CalBoy
Jul 6, 2007, 11:59 PM
unelss apple brings out something innovative. which they do!

That innovation was one of the reasons I made the switch. I think now that the iPhone has been launched, most of Apple's talent can be put back into R&D for computers. Don't get me wrong, the iPhone is amazing, I just can't afford one at this time:mad:

The next year is going to be even more amazing than this one (mostly because this one was all iPhone).

DoFoT9
Jul 7, 2007, 12:03 AM
That innovation was one of the reasons I made the switch. I think now that the iPhone has been launched, most of Apple's talent can be put back into R&D for computers. Don't get me wrong, the iPhone is amazing, I just can't afford one at this time:mad:

The next year is going to be even more amazing than this one (mostly because this one was all iPhone).

yea i hear ya not having money sucks!

for the ifone apple didnt really revv it up any more than what they do for normal products, people just went crazy over it and still are.
304 days is an amazing amount of time for an update. it is going to be BIG

about time too

aLoC
Jul 7, 2007, 12:06 AM
If would be good if you could get it BTO with the quad core chip.

DoFoT9
Jul 7, 2007, 12:11 AM

or it comes as standard in the 24' with no increase in price :eek:

OutThere
Jul 7, 2007, 12:12 AM

I'd say this won't happen, again to keep a distinction between Pro and Consumer lines. If they start crossing features, they'll cannibalize sales...

CalBoy
Jul 7, 2007, 12:13 AM
yea i hear ya not having money sucks!

for the ifone apple didnt really revv it up any more than what they do for normal products, people just went crazy over it and still are.

Well the iPhone is a lot of phone in a small space. It does it all, and in style. If had the money, I would have been one of those people in line:p

304 days is an amazing amount of time for an update. it is going to be BIG
about time too
I hope it is big too. It is about time.

CalBoy
Jul 7, 2007, 12:15 AM
I'd say this won't happen, again to keep a distinction between Pro and Consumer lines. If they start crossing features, they'll cannibalize sales...

That really depends. I'm sure there were those who thought that when it came to the macbooks (or iBooks) getting the C2D chips, and the HD motion sensor, and good RAM, and all of the other stuff that used to only be on the Powerbooks. Yet, there are still those who buy mbps and those who buy mbs.

synth3tik
Jul 7, 2007, 12:20 AM
OMG I would need one. Those will/could look so cool

waxwings
Jul 7, 2007, 12:25 AM
Of all the neat renders people have provided, I have to say I like the iPhone inspired one the best. I hope the iMac takes more dramatic turn than just getting reskinned in aluminum.

Anyone here want to see the return of colors to the line?

CalBoy
Jul 7, 2007, 12:27 AM
Of all the neat renders people have provided, I have to say I like the iPhone inspired one the best. I hope the iMac takes more dramatic turn than just getting reskinned in aluminum.

Anyone here want to see the return of colors to the line?

The colors were cool becaue you could see the insides. I think if we could see the internals again, the colors might be nice. Frankly, I'm not one to like too many colors. Just give me silver, white, or black (Apple's only, all other PC blacks are terrible looking). However, I can see why others would like them, so to each his own.

macfan881
Jul 7, 2007, 12:28 AM
at this point why not just wait till october i mean it would make sense to relase new macs with leopard on it loaded i think it would make beter sense just to wait till then?

LoganT
Jul 7, 2007, 01:08 AM
at this point why not just wait till october i mean it would make sense to relase new macs with leopard on it loaded i think it would make beter sense just to wait till then?

Not for Apple. You buy the iMacs in August then you fork over $129 for Leopard in October.

Ha ze
Jul 7, 2007, 01:18 AM
people go back to school in august, not October.

powerbook911
Jul 7, 2007, 01:26 AM
Not for Apple. You buy the iMacs in August then you fork over $129 for Leopard in October.

Don't matter for me cause I need to buy Leopard for a couple machines, so no matter if the iMac came with it or not.

ajhill
Jul 7, 2007, 01:34 AM
Please tell me that the new iMac wouldn't ;) have a multitouch screen, wouldn't ;) have a super compact and slick form factor, like the iPhone. Please tell me that just because Steve Jobs has already hinted that the new iMac will be mind-blowing. Just because of all those things, please tell me it isn't so. I can't take ANOTHER round of Apple frenzied product announcements.

But then again a 20" or 24" iMac with multi touch and who know what else would really be cool. But then again it really wouldn't be fair to all the other computer manufacturers. I mean did you see those amazing new Dells ;) that were announced about a week ago? Okay so you must have missed them, what with all the iPhone talk. But trust me when I say... okay you're not buying any of this I can tell.

Dell is trying to save their line by adding color, while Steve Jobs and company at Apple are going to push the envelope even further. The iPhone was just the beginning. You ain't seen nothing yet! :apple:

inkswamp
Jul 7, 2007, 01:44 AM
So the way I understand it, the current iMacs use a fair share of laptop components, and that is due to the design of these components to reduce heat production. I'm wondering if the metal body is a way for Apple to dissipate the heat and eliminate the need for laptop components from the iMacs. That might also explain the move away from 17", as the more space available, the more opportunity there is to move air and cool the machines.

vendettabass
Jul 7, 2007, 01:52 AM
I'm wondering if the metal body is a way for Apple to dissipate the heat and eliminate the need for laptop components from the iMacs. That might also explain the move away from 17", as the more space available, the more opportunity there is to move air and cool the machines.

sounds good! All I really want from this update is full desktop components. With these July Intel price decreases also, I'm hoping for come nice conroe action!

inkswamp
Jul 7, 2007, 02:03 AM
sounds good! All I really want from this update is full desktop components. With these July Intel price decreases also, I'm hoping for come nice conroe action!

Yeah, there really should be something more significant than a redesigned body and a few component bumps. If that's all it is, I'm going to be severely disappointed. I'll be in the market for an iMac early next year and I hope it's not just the current machine with faster parts in a metal case. The wait for an iMac update has been absolutely ridiculous. The only thing I can think of changing about the iMacs at this point that would make people sit up and take note is an all-in-one iMac that uses all desktop components and allows for user serviceable upgrades. I know the current iMac is supposedly user serviceable, but if you've ever cracked one of them open to work on them, you know that Apple is stretching the truth on that a bit.

Cloudsurfer
Jul 7, 2007, 02:25 AM
A two-inch thick design won't fit dekstop pc components. I think it will continue to use mobile components, but really, what gives? They're faster than most stuff out there anyway.

I'm pretty excited about this ne design, actually. It's been so long since the desktops had a facelift.

vendettabass
Jul 7, 2007, 02:44 AM
I think it will continue to use mobile components, but really, what gives?

I think they're lower in price, and with the money saved, maybe a bump in speed!

They managed to get a G5 in the iMac, and I've heard that runs hotter than any conroe? whats the problem apple?

MacSA
Jul 7, 2007, 02:53 AM
People are forgetting the fact that none of ThinkSecrets rumours have turned out to be real in at least 18 months.

Digitaljim
Jul 7, 2007, 03:22 AM
$2,500 burning a hole in my bank account.

I am really poor or does anyone else feel that £1250 is a lot to spend on a computer?!

And I'm not cheap, I'm just 'thrifty'...

:apple: Hackintosh G5 Enclosure: Conroe C2D 2.4GHz, 2GB RAM, 320GB, Vista/OSX86 = about £450 (home build)
:apple: 12" Powerbook: 1.33GHz, 768MB RAM, 80GB = £400 (eBay)
:apple: 20" ACD = £130 (the best eBay trade i've ever done!)

+ I just got £435 for my old G4 MDD PowerMac & Studio Display.

toughboy
Jul 7, 2007, 03:32 AM
20 inch - 1299 $
2.2 ghz core 2 duo upgradable to 2.4
2GB Ram upgradable to 4gb
320GB HDD upgradable to 750gb
8600M 256mb upgradable to 512
superdrive (no bluray option, since its not even HD)

24 inch - 1699 $
2.4ghz core 2 duo
2gb ram upgradable to 4
500gb HDD, upgradable to 750
nvidia 8600m gt 512mb stock option, maybe a slightly better one as a bto
superdrive (Bluray optional)

30 inc - 2499 $
2.4 ghz Core2Duo
2gb ram, upgradable to 4
750gb HDD, upgradable to 1.5TB (double slot for HDD)
ATI Radeon x1900 512MB Stock
superdrive (Bluray optional)

panda
Jul 7, 2007, 03:43 AM
Digitaljim ---- brilliant concept you have there. that is just the kind of radical thinking that could really create big excitement in the new imac.

multimedia ---- sadly that would be just the kind of solution that would be a total bore.

rojo ---- Digitaljim's concept is a concept. and a good one at that. as for the privacy issue that is irrelevant... it is the radical design that one needs to appreciate. as an aside, a detail like 'lack of privacy' that you mention could be easily overcome. for example, how about using the film that changes to opaque when an electric charge is turned on? then the glass screen could be totally transparent when off and opaque from behind when turned on?

cutting-edge industrial design is about more than form and function, but can also make use of the latest materials, or existing materials used in new ways... alu is nice, but just so 'common'. perhaps a new material could create something outstanding. glass used as Digitaljim has shown it would be stunning.

Digitaljim
Jul 7, 2007, 03:46 AM
Digitaljim ---- brilliant concept you have there. that is just the kind of radical thinking that could really create big excitement in the new imac.

I'm afraid I can't take any credit for it - i just googled "fake imac" and that appeared! :cool:

k2k koos
Jul 7, 2007, 03:48 AM
hmm, maybe this is the machine for me?

All my Macs currently are G4's or G3's even, I never 'tasted' a G5, so the newest incarnation of an Intel based mac is going to feel like pulling G forces (pun intended) many times over...

I don't really care what components are in the machine, is a 2ghz desktop chip faster than a 2Ghz mobile version of the same processor, and if yes, by how much? The only thing I do want is a GPU with dedicated ram, no integrated graphics etc, a large FAST Harddrive, and plenty of RAM.
Oh and it would have to be pssssst quiet... I want to use it in a recording studio which doesn't have a lot of space so a giant Mac Pro tower is too big for me at present (besides, it's not a very quiet machine, although better than a G5 from what I've heard..):apple:

LoganT
Jul 7, 2007, 03:49 AM
I don't see apple turning to metal for the consumer models...they've had that distinction for a long time now, no reason to change and make their product lines confusing. :rolleyes:

Right people are just so stupid that they can't read and tell the difference between white and metal.

porky
Jul 7, 2007, 03:51 AM
Where are those new Mac Mini's? I need a Core2duo Mac! Or better : I would love to see an affordable DESKTOP, so I can use my Brilliant Samsung TFT, now I have an iMac, but i don't need an integrated monitor. So give me an affordable desktop, removable VGA cards (look at the pc's, i want to use an 8800GTS!) so I can play cool games on my Mac. Ohwell, I think we never see that....

vendettabass
Jul 7, 2007, 03:58 AM
Yeah I think we'll see Mac Mini's alongside the iMacs, just like the bumps last year. Here's what I want

Mac Mini 2.0Ghz Core 2 Duo
1GB RAM (support for 3GB)
ATi X1600
80GB HD
Blue, Green, Pink, Silver

Mac Mini 2.16Ghz Core 2 Duo
ATi X1600
120GB HD
Black

mrmjd
Jul 7, 2007, 04:11 AM
Some pretty funky things happening on the UK shop at the moment concerning the iMac! I can't buy one! Perhaps this is jus a coincidence?

http://store.apple.com/Apple/WebObjects/ukstore.woa/wa/RSLID?nnmm=browse&mco=CFF34D5F&node=home/desktop/imac

US store is going mad too!!

http://store.apple.com/Apple/WebObjects/ukstore?family=iMac

DoFoT9
Jul 7, 2007, 04:21 AM
Yeah I think we'll see Mac Mini's alongside the iMacs, just like the bumps last year. Here's what I want

Mac Mini 2.0Ghz Core 2 Duo
ATi X1600
80GB HD
Blue, Green, Pink, Silver

Mac Mini 2.16Ghz Core 2 Duo
ATi X1600
120GB HD
Black

very bright suggestiongs. you seem prety confident with those suggestions!

id like to see a bit of colour in the minis

still at that low low price i hope!

mrmjd
Jul 7, 2007, 04:23 AM
What's Think Secrets track record like in the acuracy of their storys and who are their 'Insiders' anyway? I don't usually get embroiled in the rumour talk, but I'm in the market for an iMac, so I've been suckered into it!

vendettabass
Jul 7, 2007, 04:28 AM
very bright suggestiongs. you seem prety confident with those suggestions!

its not really confidence really, its just what I think would be awesome! Am I correct in saying the ATi Mobility card is the same size as the old card the mini had when it was a G4?

Colours would be cool, I know a tonne of uni girls who'd jump on a pink mac mini!

UPDATE: photoshop creation I did this morning :d click (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?p=3886790#post3886790)

Black Tiger
Jul 7, 2007, 04:36 AM

6-scale the iPhone screen technolgies up and build that into iMacs and Laptops. The next version of these systems will have virtual, but full sized keyboards. Remember that rumor not too long ago? (Can some one find that post?)
7-Persistant rumors of an iMac case remodel. It is time for the plastic white casing of the iMac to go away (IMO). Look to the iPhone for styling and materials ideas. I think, brushed aluminum back casing, black (or white) inner front shell casing with built in isight and impact resistant glass touch screen.
11-300 plus days and counting since the last iMac Rev. Apple could have easily had an incremental revision in this time. To do so now, in my mind, wouldn't make much sense. Again, leads me to suspect a much bigger product announcement once the iPhone hooplah dies down a bit.
12-New version of Safari supports adjustable fields for entering information. Again, pinch or 2 finger resizing gestural support?

I disagree completely with your prediction of a multi-touch iMac. The iPhone uses a touch screen in place of a mouse only because it doesn't make sense to plug a mouse into your phone. The iPhone does not use multi-touch because it is better than a mouse. A mouse is much more precise, as the tip of the mouse is much finer than the tip of a finger.

Also, imagine the fingerprints! Go look at a touch-screen kiosk at a mall and think of an iMac with a screen that dirty.

The cost is also quite prohibitive, especially for something so gimicky. Again, it is only on the iPhone because people don't want to hook up a mouse to their phones.

The rumors of the multi-touch mouse are probably along the lines of the current mighty mouse--one that only has one button, but senses hand placement to act as a two-button mouse. In the case of a revised mouse, the surface might remove the scrollball and simply react to a finger sliding across it.

I don't believe the iPhone is now the basis for all future Apple designs. You'll notice that the clickwheel hasn't been transplanted onto any Mac computer just because the device is popular. Clickwheel is to iPod what multi-touch is to iPhone (though iPod will probably get multi-touch at some point). I believe that the iPhone technologies exist for the iPhone alone, and perhaps some future Apple handheld devices (i.e. new iPods). I can't see the logic in dumbing down the computers with a mobile handset-inspired interface or control mechanism. It is like a company building a car that has no steering wheel just because they think it is cool that trains don't have one. It'll drive for a while--it might even be "cool" for a while--but you probably don't wanna take an extended trip in it.:rolleyes:

I really like the idea posted earlier about simply calling the new machine "Mac." Simple and sweet. AND it fits in perfectly with all of Apple's commercials that show the iMac at the end with the word "Mac." Many consumers--particularly those not familiar with Apple's offerings are more likely to ask "Do you sell Macs?" rather than "Do you sell iMacs?"

So now my prediction: Specs bumped up to match the Macbook Pro (2.2/2.4, 2 gigs ram, etc), Wireless keyboard/mouse standard, New iLife, support for 4 gigs memory, better iSight, superdrive with a BTO Blu-ray drive, optional firewire hard drive that hooks onto the back (keep the wires to a minimum) of the unit, to be used with Time Machine.

As for the casing, I believe that the machine will use a material similar to that on the current iPod nanos, with those colour options. Some people have said that mixing aluminum/metal finish into the consumer line will be confusing. I believe the all-in-one desktop looks different enough from the Pro tower for most to buy without confusion. I apologize in advance to any pro users who accidentally buy the all-in-one instead of the Mac Pro tower, or those consumers who buy a Mac Pro and keep trying to find the built in screen:D . Those same individuals might accidentally buy a head of romaine lettuce instead of a cucumber because the colours are similar. Seriously though. Apple has 3 (if you count the mini, which is metal finish BTW) desktop offerings. I believe customers are capable of differentiating between them. Also, as the Mac Mini is metal finished, a metal-finish iMac (sorry, "MAC") would actually unify the desktop offerings.

Or maybe it will just be white. The chin will be reduced, but not down to the level of the cinema displays.

Also, no coupon for OS X Leopard. That's how they make their money!

juanm
Jul 7, 2007, 04:51 AM
altough I can hardly imagine any good implementation of multitouch ON screen, I'd really love to see a trackpad-screen with multitouch. Plug the trackpad screen in your desktop, instead of your mouse, and go multitouch!
I find a trackpad much easier to use than a mouse (graphic tablets are the best, tough) and would love to see a multitouch trackpad (even better with screen) for desktop.

rob@robburns.co
Jul 7, 2007, 05:00 AM

Yeah, a virtual keyboard... it could be just like my first computer. That was an Atari 400 with a membrane keyboard. Why do we want that again????

superlatic
Jul 7, 2007, 05:18 AM
Some pretty funky things happening on the UK shop at the moment concerning the iMac! I can't buy one! Perhaps this is jus a coincidence?

http://store.apple.com/Apple/WebObjects/ukstore.woa/wa/RSLID?nnmm=browse&mco=CFF34D5F&node=home/desktop/imac

http://store.apple.com/Apple/WebObjects/ukstore?family=iMac

shipping time 3-5 business days on custom config in both stores

just a wild guess, dont ask me where i got it from, but you being just a tiny tiny little bit sarcastic, just wondering like.

And for the record, Macbook Pros were displaying as ready to ship in 24 hours right up untill the store was taken down to make way for the new ones

DoFoT9
Jul 7, 2007, 05:27 AM
Yeah, a virtual keyboard... it could be just like my first computer. That was an Atari 400 with a membrane keyboard. Why do we want that again????

history repeats itself lol

Schtumple
Jul 7, 2007, 05:47 AM
urgh its just the same bloody rumor posted over and over, bring them out already...

zedsdead
Jul 7, 2007, 05:51 AM
hmm, maybe this is the machine for me?

All my Macs currently are G4's or G3's even, I never 'tasted' a G5, so the newest incarnation of an Intel based mac is going to feel like pulling G forces (pun intended) many times over...

I don't really care what components are in the machine, is a 2ghz desktop chip faster than a 2Ghz mobile version of the same processor, and if yes, by how much? The only thing I do want is a GPU with dedicated ram, no integrated graphics etc, a large FAST Harddrive, and plenty of RAM.
Oh and it would have to be pssssst quiet... I want to use it in a recording studio which doesn't have a lot of space so a giant Mac Pro tower is too big for me at present (besides, it's not a very quiet machine, although better than a G5 from what I've heard..):apple:

I am in a similar boat. I have had a Powerbook G4 1.33 for about 3.5 years now. I never got a G5 either, and I have only a 64 Bit Video Card. I can't wait for the new imacs...even if they stay with the Santa Rosa Chips like the Macbook Pro's, they will be plenty fast. I was just hoping for a Quad-Core option though.

eenu
Jul 7, 2007, 06:28 AM
I don't see them being aluminium as this will scrap the consumer/pro lines difference. Unless they are replacing the mini with a new consumer offering...

I can't see aluminum imacs being cheaper.... you notice how aluminum is on the expensive machines?

EDIT: Unless they are going to make consumer white cheap imacs and pro imacs into a new imac line

dollystereo
Jul 7, 2007, 06:52 AM
What I like to see:
up to 2.66Ghz SR Quad Coredesktop version with the full fsb 1066mhz
1gb ram santadard, with the 24' model with 2gb (1 dimm, and 2 dimms)
250 Gb HD and 500 Gb Hd (20 and 24')
8600GT (desktop) 8800 (BTO in 24')
3 slots of ram (Up to 6gb)
User replaceble HD

Better Screens (20=1920x1080, 24=more than that)
That would be a nice bump up

Tehy
Jul 7, 2007, 06:59 AM
This sounds great! Can't wait to see the new models :)

DoFoT9
Jul 7, 2007, 07:05 AM
What I like to see:
up to 2.66Ghz SR Quad Coredesktop version with the full fsb 1066mhz
1gb ram santadard, with the 24' model with 2gb (1 dimm, and 2 dimms)
250 Gb HD and 500 Gb Hd (20 and 24')
8600GT (desktop) 8800 (BTO in 24')
3 slots of ram (Up to 6gb)
User replaceble HD

Better Screens (20=1920x1080, 24=more than that)
That would be a nice bump up

that is what i believe it actually will be. with something like that the imac would be an awsome seller. that is an ideal system right there. especially with 8800. and the 3 slots of ram
many video and graphical users might only then be slightly interested in it.

theheyes
Jul 7, 2007, 07:18 AM
I don't really care if they "brush" them with olive oil lets just see them. Although they've only just got rid of the brushed metal look from the interface so the jury is still out (for me) on whether they would stick it on the enclosure. We'll see.

I'm not really bothered about this <2 inches thick business either. Id rather it run a bit cooler or they squeezed in some more powerful hardware before they start thinking about slimming it down.

I also dont want it to be "touch screen". Theres a massive difference between innovation and gimmick. The iPhone's interface suits the limitations of that device. The keyboard and mouse work. Dont "fix" them.

I'm thinking new enclosure, minor bump in specs, and probably released before Leopard so they can cash in on more people buying 10.5. I think if you expect more than that you're setting yourself up for disappointment. :)

phalewhale
Jul 7, 2007, 07:19 AM
this is very good news!!! dad said he will be getting one as soon as they are released!!! bring it :)

@ phakebill

whos anarchy???

Your question should not be "who", but "what"...

iBunny
Jul 7, 2007, 07:59 AM

No.

If its not part of the United States of America, its non-important

martianrobot
Jul 7, 2007, 08:11 AM
No.

If its not part of the United States of America, its non-important

Ah, so 'international news' is just what happens between Washington state and Washington, DC?

Obviously someone who has never read Noam Chomsky.

Or looked out the ********* window.

Or is being sarcastic but forgot to put the ;) at the end of their sentence.

phalewhale
Jul 7, 2007, 08:28 AM
Ah, so 'international news' is just what happens between Washington state and Washington, DC?

Obviously someone who has never read Noam Chomsky.

Or looked out the ********* window.

Or is being sarcastic but forgot to put the ;) at the end of their sentence.

Noam Chomsky... what a guy. Let's hope he/she just forgot the smiley. Probably a Republican... ;) ;) ;)

Back to the point. Remember, ThinkSecret's initial post prior to WWDC said if the new Aluminium iMacs weren't released at WWDC then...

"Update: While sources are confident that the company's plans have called for an announcement next week, they caution that the release schedule may have changed. If that proves to be the case, the aluminum iMacs would presumably follow in the ensuing weeks."

So, what are the chances of these new iMacs coming this Tuesday? However, wouldn't Apple want to milk it by having some sort of "It's showtime" event if the new iMacs are completely revamped?

What do you all think?

P.S. don't you just love the smell of a new iMac/MacBook? Fresh polycarbonate. Lovely. That's one thing I'll miss if the new iMacs go Aluminium

regan
Jul 7, 2007, 09:00 AM
I never knew what all the negative reaction to the so called "chin" on the imac was all about.

It never bothered me at all. Not aesthetically, and it actually comes in handy on my desk. I love to use the "chin" to put post it notes on.

I am due for an upgrade. My G5 imac will go to my bro. Of course I'll learn to love whatever Apple puts out next for the imac. But I for one will be sad to see the the "chin" go.

I personally think that people fall in love with their macs so much, that when a redesign comes out, they sometimes find it hard to let go and often try to find reasons why the new design isn't as good. Thats probably why when Apple went from the "lampshade" imac to the current design, some people jumped all over the "chin" as distraction. I remember them also saying that the lack of an "articulated" arm would limit viewing options.

I think both reactions turned out to be false knee jerk reactions. Perhaps because I never had the "lampshade" model, I didn't have such an initial reaction. I loved it at first sight.

Maybe now it's my turn to find it hard to "let go". I've become attached to my imac with its prominent chin. As excited as I am about getting a new imac with santa rosa, leopard and all the bells and whistles...I am sure at first sight, I will feel a sense of loss if it doesn't have a chin. :(

But I am sure over time I'll get over it, and learn to love my "chin-less" imac with the same kind of intensity.

Woo Hoo!

Peace out,

Reg

Foxglove9
Jul 7, 2007, 09:08 AM
Not to be pessimistic but I think the iMac is just going to be MacBook Pro internals inside the Apple cinema displays, with a slight price increase due to dropping the 17" model. Nothing more than that. But I'll keep my hopes up.

While I like the bushed aluminum look, I love the current white look and would like to see a black model added in. 20" seems kinda big for the average user, can't help but think the 17" version will become something else, just not sure what.

I also would like to see a revision to the MacMini, it's been such a long time that when/if there is another update it will be something different.

vendettabass
Jul 7, 2007, 09:09 AM
I realize the touch display may be a tad pointless, but how about one of those accelerometers, and a rotating display?

phalewhale
Jul 7, 2007, 09:12 AM
I love to use the "chin" to put post it notes on.

WHAAAAAT???

Stcky notes on your iMac??? Use the widget! ;) I couldn't have sticky notes on my iMac (if I had one), I'd be forever cleaning the sticky residue off of it. Jut like fingerprints! Can't personally understand those who want touch screen on the next iMac. That would make me go out and buy one of the remaining 24" C2D iMacs for sure!!!

GeekLawyer
Jul 7, 2007, 09:18 AM
I know absolutely nothing about the European Apple Expo, but is this the sort of event where Steve Jobs might take the stage and give a keynote? If so, is September 25 too late to see these new iMacs? I'm guessing yes, if back-to-school is the factor. Then again, I perceive that most BTS shoppers are picking up MacBooks -- at least that's what I saw at my local Apple store.

http://www.apple-expo.com/uk/index.php?home=gp

whatever
Jul 7, 2007, 09:53 AM
oh really??? i spose it would look a lot better. what do u think are the chances of a black case option in say the 24' inch are??

You will never see a Black iMac from Apple (yes, I know you get one today...).

The reason why can be summed up in one word: DUST.

A white iMac hides dust quite well (until you touch it), but black...

I remember the days of the black PC, boy did it look like crap after a week of dust.

I know this sounds really simple, but sometimes it's just that simple.

Janskiproducer
Jul 7, 2007, 09:55 AM
Finally a non-iphone related rumor! Phew!:p

phalewhale
Jul 7, 2007, 09:58 AM
I know absolutely nothing about the European Apple Expo, but is this the sort of event where Steve Jobs might take the stage and give a keynote? If so, is September 25 too late to see these new iMacs? I'm guessing yes, if back-to-school is the factor. Then again, I perceive that most BTS shoppers are picking up MacBooks -- at least that's what I saw at my local Apple store.

http://www.apple-expo.com/uk/index.php?home=gp

Not sure but they have a "Games Performance" special event scheduled so they must be either:

a) Gonna showcase the games on a Mac Pro (overkill for me)
b) Gonna showcase the games on a new gaming rig (very unlikely)
c) Gonna showcase the games on an updated iMac (most likely)
d) Gonna showcase the games on the current 24" iMac (possibly)
e) Gonna showcase the games on the MacBook Pro (likely?)

So you would hope that option c is the outcome.

Any other suggestions people?

whatever
Jul 7, 2007, 10:00 AM
Finally a non-iphone related rumor! Phew!:p

What's an iPhone?

phalewhale
Jul 7, 2007, 10:00 AM
You will never see a Black iMac from Apple (yes, I know you get one today...).

The reason why can be summed up in one word: DUST.

A white iMac hides dust quite well (until you touch it), but black...

I remember the days of the black PC, boy did it look like crap after a week of dust.

I know this sounds really simple, but sometimes it's just that simple.

Don't you dust weekly? :D
The OC's dust daily!!!

immaculate
Jul 7, 2007, 10:02 AM
TS has got it wrong - the new case for the iMac is going to be wood. The models will come in various woods, and will be real solid wood, not veneer.

They have been ready for a while, but have been held up because Apple wants to release a top-end 24" model in Norwegian Wood, and is waiting for permission from the other Apple.

It is thought that the new woodentop iMacs will be released on the same day that The Beatles catalogue is made available on iTunes, with a special launch featuring SJ and Macca dueting in I wanna hold your hand.

Also available on the same day will be the customising kit (sandpaper, varnish, furniture polish etc), and with built to order models you can have your name carved into the chin (with or without heart and arrow).

There will also be an entry level model made of bamboo.

alexandr
Jul 7, 2007, 10:02 AM
these iMacs sound wonderful and i would love to replace my G5 iMac, but what are the chances of a 30" being added as the-top-of-the-line? that would only be the sweetest iMac ever! just add a 30" cinema to it and you're set!
realistic?

snickelfritz
Jul 7, 2007, 10:39 AM
I expect that the keyboard and mouse will be updated with new designs that (finally) match the Mac Pro in some way, and the iMac to be similar to a new bead-blasted aluminum ACD design with iSight and softly rounded contours.
(rounded contours promote a thinner/sleeker visual profile than squared edges and boxy contours)

Aluminum makes sense for computer enclosures, and the FAB already exists for producing it.

I like the idea of a multitouch mouse. The current Mighty Mouse trackball is terrible; it clogs easily and malfunctions. Touch-sensitive scrolling surface would definitely be an improvement over any type of mechanical wheel or ball.

The white keyboard design has always been a poor design with regard to long-term use; it shows dirt and is a notorious crumb-catcher.
I can imagine a design that uses tightly spaced clear polycarb backlit keys and a rounded aluminum bezel.

One could take it a step farther and produce a complete keyboard based on a glass multitouch surface with no mechanical switches at all. (ie: the keyboard would essentially be an elongated iPhone and would be produced at the iPhone FAB)
This opens the possibility of a keyboard that can be modified in software to better support various applications and new Leopard features.
Imagine a keyboard with multitouch timeline and volume controls, for example.

CJM
Jul 7, 2007, 10:45 AM
Muahahaha, this sounds cool to me... My dad is looking at buying a new Mac, and as mine is only a year old (the last revision iMac), I may be able to swap mine for the new one with him. That'd be truly awesome. (for gaming purposes and stuff...)

i, Podius
Jul 7, 2007, 10:48 AM
I have a 24" iMac and even with the chin everyone already asks where the computer is. I practically have to take it apart to show them it is behind and below the screen.

Since I take my iMac back and forth between home and work (yes I think different) instead of a laptop I hope they make them lighter and easier to haul.

PS: I'll get a laptop when they have BUILT-IN 24" screens. Until then, I lug my iMac.

PSS: How about the top end of the iMacs being a 30" screen. Sounds good to me.

So... you want a new iMac that's "lighter and easier to haul.", with a 30" screen? Sure thing. Would you like it to be made of fairy floss and pixie dreams, as well?

I realize the touch display may be a tad pointless, but how about one of those accelerometers, and a rotating display?

An accelerometer? Are you planning on throwing your iMac around? Why would a desktop need an accelerometer?

Meanwhile, here are my thoughts: it's totally not going to be Aluminium, because that's like, totally only for pro machines... except for the mini... so, they're like, soooo gonna make it out of GLASS. And the touch screen? Well, I agree that using that for a long time will make your arms tired, that's why you'll use your nose, instead! Apple's even going to make an iNose accessory, which is a rod that you attach to your nose, which will make you look sorta like Pinocchio.

A 30" iMac would be nice, though. You know what would be even nicer? Releasing the damn things already!

Jul 7, 2007, 10:55 AM
Same here. I currently have a 2.0Ghz G5, and although there is NOTHING wrong with it, I just want a new Mac!

Same here, NOTHING wrong with my G5 iMac, but I already feel like tapping the power of dual-core and more RAM...bring it on, APPLE!

roland.g
Jul 7, 2007, 10:58 AM
Brushed, anodized, just bring on new SR iMacs and soon. And yes, something that resembles a Cinema Display is EXACTLY what I have been waiting for.

AlexisV
Jul 7, 2007, 11:16 AM

http://store.apple.com/Apple/WebObje...e/desktop/imac

http://store.apple.com/Apple/WebObje...re?family=iMac

What are you talking about? I don't understand your post.

Jul 7, 2007, 11:33 AM

The Apple displays ARE hardware AND brushed aluminum (irrelevant if they are made of anything else...they LOOK like brushed aluminum)...the iMacs will follow the same pattern...I await your password in due course.

Nepenthe
Jul 7, 2007, 12:04 PM
This brushed metal thing has been done to death. I hope Apple would be a little more innovative (look at iPhone).

eenu
Jul 7, 2007, 12:47 PM
The Apple displays ARE hardware AND brushed aluminum (irrelevant if they are made of anything else...they LOOK like brushed aluminum)...the iMacs will follow the same pattern...I await your password in due course.

Why would apple move to a more expensive material that has been used as a PRO material for years? Yeah way to make the pro/consumer lines blurred. I'd be INCREDIBLY surprised if these imacs were aluminium.

I could see white cheap ones and then a pro to the imac line in aluminium though.

For those of you waiting for imacs having very old machines i hope you get what you want. For those of you with Intel iMacs already that want this machine your insane. There is so little noticeable performance difference between core duo and core 2 duo on Santa Rosa. It's amazing how people love to throw money at the latest toys and for what?

My current 24" iMac will not be replaced until 2010 (unless it breaks outside of the 3yr warranty) and i can say i am proud my mindset has changed from having the latest and greatest to using something for a good period of time and upgrading when there is a significant upgrade to be made!

powerbook911
Jul 7, 2007, 12:58 PM
Why would apple move to a more expensive material that has been used as a PRO material for years? Yeah way to make the pro/consumer lines blurred. I'd be INCREDIBLY surprised if these imacs were aluminium.

I could see white cheap ones and then a pro to the imac line in aluminium though.

For those of you waiting for imacs having very old machines i hope you get what you want. For those of you with Intel iMacs already that want this machine your insane. There is so little noticeable performance difference between core duo and core 2 duo on Santa Rosa. It's amazing how people love to throw money at the latest toys and for what?

My current 24" iMac will not be replaced until 2010 (unless it breaks outside of the 3yr warranty) and i can say i am proud my mindset has changed from having the latest and greatest to using something for a good period of time and upgrading when there is a significant upgrade to be made!

Thing is upgrading does not cost a lot, when you sell your old machine. It adds up to about the same if you have to get a new computer in 2-3x the wait and have nothing to sell to go towards it.

swindmill
Jul 7, 2007, 01:10 PM
I hope these come soon, but having had no discipline and charging an iPhone, I won't be able to buy my first desktop on the day they are released, as I had planned. But I do love my iPhone.

martianrobot
Jul 7, 2007, 01:10 PM
Noam Chomsky... what a guy.

Halfway through 'Hegemony or Survival' right now. I would say it's a great book, if it didn't make me feel so sick and angry.

P.S. don't you just love the smell of a new iMac/MacBook? Fresh polycarbonate. Lovely. That's one thing I'll miss if the new iMacs go Aluminium

Mmmmm.... I love the smell of a freshly baked Apple. Glad to hear I'm not the only one. It's probably highly noxious but smells so gooooood.

Remember kids: iMac abuse can kill. Instantly.

(or rather, get you addicted to overpriced consumer electronics)

eenu
Jul 7, 2007, 01:19 PM
Thing is upgrading does not cost a lot, when you sell your old machine. It adds up to about the same if you have to get a new computer in 2-3x the wait and have nothing to sell to go towards it.

Yeah but do the maths..... if you keep the rapid upgrade path up your losing just as much money in the long run if not more (dependent on upgrade frequency).

I can still sell my G4 mini for £200. Macs retain their value well.

msprice
Jul 7, 2007, 01:28 PM
I would like to get a 24 inch when they become available. Given that screen size, I would like to also use it as a second TV in my home.

I believe this is do-able through additional hardware. What type of resolution should I expect in watching TV on the iMac? Can you get HD TV?

Thanks in advance. :)

iMichael72
Jul 7, 2007, 01:34 PM
I love to use the "chin" to put post it notes on.

I see I'm not the only one! I don't need a new iMac. I currently have the intel iMac, but my tune might change once I see the new iMacs!!

Jul 7, 2007, 01:56 PM

Perhaps because they WANT to streamline the line and make everything prosumer/pro at Apple...no prob with that.

As for upgrading, I fully agree...Intel Mac owners would feel little difference...but for us with single core G5s, 1Gb RAM and no access to BootCamp, it's worth proceeding..!

azentropy
Jul 7, 2007, 02:02 PM
I don't really care what components are in the machine, is a 2ghz desktop chip faster than a 2Ghz mobile version of the same processor, and if yes, by how much?

It isn't a matter of speed, it is a matter of COST.
The mobile 2.4Ghz Merom processor (known as the T7700) goes for about $550 retail. The equivalent desktop model 2.4Ghz Conroe (E6600) goes for $220 retail (and will see a big cut July 22nd).

Cloudsurfer
Jul 7, 2007, 02:16 PM
Hey, this would be a nice oppertunity to update the startup chime, too. We've been with the current one for over ten years, I think.