PDA

View Full Version : P-day - July 21st, Harry Potter Final Chapter - Who's In?

Cleverboy
Jul 15, 2007, 04:16 AM
LONDON (Reuters) - One of the most hyped books in history goes on sale this week with the release of the seventh and final installment of the Harry Potter series.

"Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows" hits shelves at one minute past midnight British Summer Time on Saturday, July 21, and anticipation over how the last chapter will end may ensure it becomes the fastest selling novel of all time.

On "P-Day", as it has been dubbed, thousands of Potter fans dressed as wizards and witches will queue at stores in major cities, eager to learn the fate of Harry and his Hogwarts pals after author J.K. Rowling said she would kill off characters.http://www.reuters.com/article/topNews/idUSL1285240420070715?feedType=RSS

So, we've all lived through iDay, and the most HYPED consumer product of all time. Now, we'll be facing "P-Day", the most hyped book release of all time. You've heard the news reports, read the stories, so who's going to be picking up a copy?

~ CB

janey
Jul 15, 2007, 04:18 AM
Amazon is mailing me a copy that should arrive Saturday morning :)

Yum.

it5five
Jul 15, 2007, 04:51 AM
I just ordered it on Amazon. I wasn't planning on pre-ordering, but I saw they guaranteed a Saturday delivery with the standard shipping, or I would get the book for free. Can't beat that.

I'm sure Amazon will do everything in their power to make sure that those copies arrive on Saturday, but it at least saves me a trip to the bookstore.

Nermal
Jul 15, 2007, 05:11 AM
I'm going to wait a while. I just ordered some HD DVDs from Amazon.com and considered throwing HP in there too, then realised that I'd get the US version :eek:

ReanimationLP
Jul 15, 2007, 05:37 AM
I'll be busy at Otakon. :D

So I guess count me out.

Plus then, I never really was that interested in it.

BoyBach
Jul 15, 2007, 05:54 AM
I'll be in the queue at midnight in my local Tesco's. I wonder if the two on-duty police officers will be queuing for their copies like last time?

ravenvii
Jul 15, 2007, 11:21 AM
I'll definitely be buying the book. But I won't stand in long lines for it or anything.

Dagless
Jul 15, 2007, 11:44 AM
I'm going to the midnight launch with Caroline and her sister, WHSmiths in Oldham.

KJmoon117
Jul 15, 2007, 11:46 AM
I'm just pre-ordering it on Barnes & Noble....

swiftaw
Jul 15, 2007, 11:47 AM
Going to have to wait till October until my parents visit from England and bring me my UK edition.
Also, can I ask in advance that people clearly mark any threads that will contain spoilers, so I don't accidentally stumble across them. Thanks

Chris Bangle
Jul 15, 2007, 11:47 AM
new imac, touchscreen ipod, deathly hallows. What a summer.

i reckon hagrid and ron will be dead. snape will die once or just before we all find out that hes not evil,

I want to know more about lily and the function of the veil in ootp. Half blood didnt answer as many questions as i hoped it would have.

Whats wrong with the us edition. Its got the best cover. I dont like the pic on the UK one.

jsw
Jul 15, 2007, 11:55 AM
I just pre-ordered it on Amazon.

$17, free delivery, $5 off coupon. So, For $12, I don't need to stand in line, and won't be tempted to stay up until 7AM reading it. Instead, I'll rest Friday night, and read it Saturday. :)

ravenvii
Jul 15, 2007, 12:44 PM
Whats wrong with the us edition. Its got the best cover. I dont like the pic on the UK one.

Yeah, I agree that the US covers are better than the UK ones. Many people disagree with us, though. And apparently they changed some things in the US version and people didn't like that. I don't really care about all that, though.

ghall
Jul 15, 2007, 01:28 PM
Pre-ordered from Amazon the other day, so I should be getting it Saturday.

I also may be getting a job at Walden Books this week so I might have to work the Harry Potter shift. :(

Yeah, I agree that the US covers are better than the UK ones. Many people disagree with us, though. And apparently they changed some things in the US version and people didn't like that. I don't really care about all that, though.

I love the UK covers. I have books 1-5 shipped right from Amazon.co.uk. I hope to get 6 and 7 eventually. Until then I still have the US editions.

Nermal
Jul 15, 2007, 02:43 PM
Here's (http://www.hp-lexicon.org/about/books/differences.html) a list of differences. Of course, it helps if all the covers match too :)

-kritter-
Jul 15, 2007, 02:45 PM
taking a trip to boarders that day hopefully, and hopefully there will be a copy left. There isnt much of a hype about it where i live so i think ill be able to get my hands on a copy...cant wait :D

d_and_n5000
Jul 15, 2007, 03:25 PM
I'm going to the local Border's Saturday morning to pick up my copy, i preordered it something like in March:eek:. I went to the midnight party for Order of the Phoenix, but it was absolutely nuts. There from 8-12, and there wasn't that much to do, although my cousin and I got on TV because she was first in line for a 'Quidditch' game that they had, so they taped her doing it and i was right behind her. Then I just did the same thing I'm doing now for the sixth. I still intend to have that thing read by 12am Sunday, mark my words.

question fear
Jul 15, 2007, 05:40 PM
Pre-ordered from Amazon the other day, so I should be getting it Saturday.

I also may be getting a job at Walden Books this week so I might have to work the Harry Potter shift. :(

Don't be sad, it's awesomely fun to work a Potter release! I was a sales manager for Borders when HP6 came out, it was probably one of the best nights I ever worked at Borders! Tons of fun, everyone is so excited and such!

buffalo
Jul 15, 2007, 08:58 PM
I'll probably head to the local Kroger (grocery store) at midnight to pick up my copy. That's what I've done for the last three books.

rockthecasbah
Jul 15, 2007, 10:07 PM
I pre-ordered it at Barnes and Nobles but I will be going and standing just to be part of the hysteria with my friends. It's pretty fun and they are having this whole party with food and stuff at the Barnes and Nobles so it should be fun :)

iRachel
Jul 15, 2007, 10:15 PM
I pre-ordered from Amazon back in February. I just hope the mailman moves quickly! We're at the very end of our route, sometimes the mail doesn't come until late afternoon. I have to work in the morning anyway, so hopefully it won't be too bad.

iHerzeleid
Jul 16, 2007, 01:34 AM
Someone claims to have it. Spoiler... (http://www.zendurl.com/hallows/)

devilot
Jul 16, 2007, 01:41 AM
I just pre-ordered it on Amazon.
$17, free delivery, $5 off coupon.Damn you.

I've ordered it. :o

Yeah, I agree that the US covers are better than the UK ones. Many people disagree with us, though.*raises hand* I looove the UK covers! I bought the Phoenix when I was in London a few summers back. :o I would have bought more but we were quite a long ways away from the hotel and I didn't fancy lugging so many hardcover books all day long and my luggage was already getting quite full (in regards to flying back).

I love the UK covers. I have books 1-5 shipped right from Amazon.co.uk. For some reason, I thought they didn't ship internationally. :o Hm... thanks a lot. More stuff that I'm tempted to buy with what precious little money I have. Hehe.

iBlue
Jul 16, 2007, 01:55 AM
pre-ordered about a month ago from amazon.co.uk

I can't wait to get it! :o

dextertangocci
Jul 16, 2007, 01:56 PM
I'm going to get the audiobook if it's available on the same day on the ITS. Will it be?

nbs2
Jul 16, 2007, 02:00 PM
Waiting in line at Books a Million on Friday night, picking it up at midnight, driving to my parents house (get there around 1AM), reading it, then going to bed (probably around 6 am or so).

Kernow
Jul 16, 2007, 02:19 PM
I queued for the last two, but as I am getting married on the Friday, I rather think I might be otherwise occupied in the early hours of Saturday morning :D

Will probably pop out and buy it on Saturday afternoon though - my girlfriend is as big a fan as I am :p

FoxyKaye
Jul 16, 2007, 02:40 PM
Anyone getting the audiobook instead? This is how I've "read" all of the HP books - I've been through them twice: the American version read by Jim Dale, and the UK edition read by Stephen Fry. By far, I believe Fry's readings are superior - though they're not available in the states and I can't get them from the library like the Jim Dale versions. So, I've had to rely on *ahem* alternative means of getting them.

Though I will be in line for Deathly Hallows the book at midnight on Friday - With the help of a lot of caffeine, I should be through it by weekend's end...

Felldownthewell
Jul 16, 2007, 06:47 PM
Well I'm in Edinburgh on vacation but I'm guessing theres a bookshop somewhere around here and when I figure out where it is I'll be camped out friday night :)

I've just finished re-reading the 5th and 6th books as a catch up...I realized I used to have quite an unhealthy Harry Potter obsession when I was young...I've read the first 3 books in excess of 14 times each, the 4th around 8 times, the 5th around 6 and the 6th at least 4. At least its worn off as time went on but that is a bit scary :o

Cleverboy
Jul 16, 2007, 07:37 PM
Anyone getting the audiobook instead? This is how I've "read" all of the HP books - I've been through them twice: the American version read by Jim Dale, and the UK edition read by Stephen Fry. By far, I believe Fry's readings are superior - though they're not available in the states and I can't get them from the library like the Jim Dale versions. So, I've had to rely on *ahem* alternative means of getting them.

Though I will be in line for Deathly Hallows the book at midnight on Friday - With the help of a lot of caffeine, I should be through it by weekend's end... Oh, most definitely. As I noted before, I'm going to grab the last audiobook of the Potter series on Sunday morning, and listen, and listen, and listen until the story is done. Annoyingly, I wonder if iTunes will have all the tracks named properly by the time I jam it in to RIP to my iPhone. Hm. Regardless, an audiobook with chapter headings would still have been preferred. Interestingly, this will be my first non-cassette version I'll buy. I started with tapes, and they were significantly cheaper earlier, but now they seem to be the same price and my collection has been a bit messy of late anyway... ;)

I love Jim Dale's stuff. Now I'm curious about Fry though. I'll have to check him out. I also picked up the Dicken's Christmas Carol version Dale did. He had a great interview of public radio talking about the process they go through and how he's given little bits of the book to read through each day, and doesn't even read through the entire book before they're away to recording it. Someday I'd like to get into voice acting / narration myself (I'm often told I have a great voice and good diction).

Y'know... for some odd reason, I thought they meant it was coming out at Midnight on Saturday. I guess I'll get the WHOLE weekend then. Nice! I think I'll see the new movie on Friday, give me something to gear up to. :D

~ CB

nbs2
Jul 16, 2007, 08:54 PM
Well I'm in Edinburgh on vacation but I'm guessing theres a bookshop somewhere around here and when I figure out where it is I'll be camped out friday night :)

I'd suggest going to the WH Smith (I think that's the name) that's on Princes Street near the Waverly train station. I could totally have all the spellings wrong. Anyway, the store was really cool and JK stopped by to visit on the night Book 5 came out (I was there with my then girl).

mathwhiz90601
Jul 16, 2007, 09:29 PM
Hey, where's the option for "I preordered it already!"

doobi18
Jul 17, 2007, 04:04 AM
well i think i can clear this up;

aside from having different covers, the UK & US versions of the story are slightly different.

to put it simply, the language is "dumbed down" for the american audience. the biggest diff is the first title "the philosopher's stone" becoming "the sourcerer's stone" what, does that imply that americans don't understand philosphy?

anyway dont mean to offend too many people

doobi18

janey
Jul 17, 2007, 04:07 AM
to put it simply, the language is "dumbed down" for the american audience. the biggest diff is the first title "the philosopher's stone" becoming "the sourcerer's stone" what, does that imply that americans don't understand philosphy?

Have you ever considered that this may be because of the cultural (and hence, language) differences?

Philosopher and Sorcerer are synonyms, and Philosophy in the sense of the stone and Harry Potter has nothing to do with philosophy. The latter makes a lot more sense to Americans, while the former may make more sense to the people across the pond.

Jul 17, 2007, 04:15 AM
I pre-ordered it from WH Smith and will pick it up Saturday morning. There isn't much point pre-ordering as half the amazon rainforest will be gone because of this book and so will be available everywhere, but I got a free book and some discount vouchers as well.

Actually, if I watch a movie on Friday night, I might pick it up at midnight.

I've never been to a midnight opening - does it actually get really busy?

nbs2
Jul 17, 2007, 07:09 AM
I've never been to a midnight opening - does it actually get really busy?

Don't know how the crowds will be this time, but 5 at the Edinburgh WH Smiths and 6 at the Laurel BAM were both incredibly smooth. I think 6 was a bit smoother, but they had their party earlier in the evening rather than throughout the night - the midnight line was get your book and get out.

theperson
Jul 18, 2007, 12:57 AM
I was going to line up but then it got leaked...

FoxyKaye
Jul 18, 2007, 11:37 AM
I was going to line up but then it got leaked...
I'd still go if I were you - there's been some emerging discussion online as to whether or not the leaks are genuine. There's a couple that I've seen, which, if they are fakes, are perhaps one of the greatest hoaxes ever created. But given how much conflicting information has come out this week regarding plot points from "genuine" leaks, I personally gave up trying to figure out what was what and stopped paying attention. Besides, for a book to have generated this kind of fervor is really a once in a lifetime event - Friday night is going to be the last hurrah, and it will be fun to be part of it.

FoxyKaye
Jul 18, 2007, 11:44 AM

aside from having different covers, the UK & US versions of the story are slightly different.

Ummmmmm. OK. I suppose you're entitled to that opinion, but maybe you better consult here before making proclamations: http://www.hp-lexicon.org/about/books/differences.html

The story, however, is definitely not different.

Cleverboy
Jul 18, 2007, 09:27 PM
I'd still go if I were you - there's been some emerging discussion online as to whether or not the leaks are genuine. There's a couple that I've seen, which, if they are fakes, are perhaps one of the greatest hoaxes ever created. True, AND they could have the original, and simply taken the time to CHANGE substantial portions of the manuscript just to mess with heads. It's pretty bad. There's a thread about Potter predictions on this forum that I refuse to look at. Unfortunately, at this time, threads like that only encourages forum "newbs" who've had access to leaked info, to post spoilers, even in the form of "guesses". Who needs that type of "threat" after such a long cycle? One more book to go. Also, be careful of spoilers like this while you're standing in line -- [YOUTUBE: do not click link if you haven't read Half Blood Prince (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ossbPGIVikU)]. Also, DON'T read the latest comments beneath it. Same threat (These jerks can show up anywhere).
I personally gave up trying to figure out what was what and stopped paying attention. Besides, for a book to have generated this kind of fervor is really a once in a lifetime event - Friday night is going to be the last hurrah, and it will be fun to be part of it. Amen. Ignore the leaks. Support the book. Rowling has my vote everytime, anyday.

~ CB

EricNau
Jul 19, 2007, 02:48 AM
Amen. Ignore the leaks. Support the book. Rowling has my vote everytime, anyday.
After all of these leaks, it's clear that scholastic should hire Apple to distribute their products. :D

Cleverboy
Jul 19, 2007, 06:22 AM
After all of these leaks, it's clear that scholastic should hire Apple to distribute their products. :DYah. I think Apple couldn't be better if they had a "knee-caps busted" meter on their homepage. Whatever they're doing it seems to work. I'm still waiting for something to happen to Stan Sigman for anxiously blurting that Apple had many more versions of the iPhone in queue. It was like he lost his head for a moment.

~ CB

twistedlegato
Jul 19, 2007, 09:23 AM
I am SOOOO MAD!:mad::mad:

Someone spoiled one of the freaking deaths for me! But I am a nice person and am not gonna type in all caps who died.

Why cant all people be nice?:(

Cleverboy
Jul 19, 2007, 09:34 AM
I am SOOOO MAD!:mad::mad: Someone spoiled one of the freaking deaths for me! But I am a nice person and am not gonna type in all caps who died. Why cant all people be nice?:(If anyone claims to have "spoiled" something for you, simply choose not to believe it. Do you realize how many rumors there were before each new past book? How can you trust the source of the information? Better to just file it as a suspicion, just like the other ones you've carried for the last couple of years. If it comes true, choose to be surprised. Someone could tell you one truth and one lie, and confuse you something fierce.

Hope that helps! Doubt is your friend... ;)

~ CB

psycoswimmer
Jul 19, 2007, 09:35 AM
I'm going to the midnight launch at our Barnes & Nobles. We're taking my cousin and then she's staying overnight and we're finishing it that night / next day.

twistedlegato
Jul 19, 2007, 09:38 AM
If anyone claims to have "spoiled" something for you, simply choose not to believe it. Do you realize how many rumors there were before each new past book? How can you trust the source of the information? Better to just file it as a suspicion, just like the other ones you've carried for the last couple of years. If it comes true, choose to be surprised. Someone could tell you one truth and one lie, and confuse you something fierce.

Hope that helps! Doubt is your friend... ;)

~ CB

It just that one dude somehow got the book early, and he posted the first 495 pages of the book, i even read the first two paragraphs to see if it was legit and it is.:(

Sky Blue
Jul 19, 2007, 09:41 AM
Finished the book last night, good read.

Chris Bangle
Jul 19, 2007, 10:02 AM

It just that one dude somehow got the book early, and he posted the first 495 pages of the book, i even read the first two paragraphs to see if it was legit and it is.:(

link please:)

milo
Jul 19, 2007, 10:18 AM
I'd strongly recommend being extremely cautious what you read online between now and the release date, particularly on things like message boards.

The book has been leaked in its entirety and spoilers are starting to pop up online. Last time around, many people went around posting the big surprises of the book just to spoil others. I expect it to happen again and wouldn't be surprised if people are doing it already with this one - fortunately I haven't encountered anything I didn't know already.

Be warned! If you really don't want to be spoiled, stay away from message boards, especially threads about Potter.

Cleverboy
Jul 19, 2007, 10:39 AM
I'd strongly recommend being extremely cautious what you read online between now and the release date, particularly on things like message boards. The book has been leaked in its entirety and spoilers are starting to pop up online. Last time around, many people went around posting the big surprises of the book just to spoil others. I expect it to happen again and wouldn't be surprised if people are doing it already with this one - fortunately I haven't encountered anything I didn't know already. Be warned! If you really don't want to be spoiled, stay away from message boards, especially threads about Potter.AGREED.

~ CB

twistedlegato
Jul 19, 2007, 10:53 AM
link please:)

Sorry, I am scred to find it knowing that other spoilers will pop up if I go searching.:(

Chris Bangle
Jul 19, 2007, 11:02 AM
Ok then, thats fine. But everyone knows that Jobs ends up killing voldemort by using an iphone. Sorry to ruin the surprise.

FoxyKaye
Jul 19, 2007, 11:51 AM
True, AND they could have the original, and simply taken the time to CHANGE substantial portions of the manuscript just to mess with heads. It's pretty bad. There's a thread about Potter predictions on this forum that I refuse to look at. Unfortunately, at this time, threads like that only encourages forum "newbs" who've had access to leaked info, to post spoilers, even in the form of "guesses". Who needs that type of "threat" after such a long cycle? One more book to go. Also, be careful of spoilers like this while you're standing in line -- [YOUTUBE: do not click link if you haven't read Half Blood Prince (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ossbPGIVikU)]. Also, DON'T read the latest comments beneath it. Same threat (These jerks can show up anywhere).
Amen. Ignore the leaks. Support the book. Rowling has my vote everytime, anyday.

~ CB
I've got no problem with good guessing - I made a host of predictions on the other thread, and would be delighted if even one of them came true. The point I made over there was that even if in all the crap online there are kernels of truth, the context in which they are presented makes everything suspect. And I totally agree with you - the one or two most legitimate looking "leaks" out there still run at least the possibility that they're a hoax. I could think of half a dozen ways to change the content of even a legitimate copy of Deathly Hallows that, for example, a library worker would have access to: A moderately amateur writing ability, some Photoshop skillz, a series of grainy photos and voila! It all seems way too Area 51 for me.

I came to Harry Potter late, and I knew the basic important plot points of books 4, 5, and 6 (including who dies). It didn't ruin the story for me when I finally read them because of the context in which those moments were presented in the books - but, for the last hurrah, I really do want to be mostly in the dark about what happens.

FoxyKaye
Jul 19, 2007, 12:52 PM
As it states, DO NOT READ THE NY TIMES REVIEW. There it was, right with the morning paper.

I read it, and now have to pull out of all discussion of HP - I'm deleting my subscriptions to both the MR Deathly Hallows threads.

Stuipdboy1000
Jul 19, 2007, 02:58 PM
Just preordered it off Asda for 5 plus free delivery. What a bargain. Considering the RRP is something like 18

GeeYouEye
Jul 19, 2007, 04:23 PM
Getting it Saturday in the mail, and I'm not going to be online at all except for email and IMDB until I finish rereading 5 and 6 (hopefully done by the time it arrives), and read 7.

twistedlegato
Jul 19, 2007, 08:54 PM
DO NOT LOOK AT THE THREAD IN THE COMMUNITY FORUM FOR HARRY POTTER!

Some lame dude has a huge list of spoilers with no warning and did not even put it i white!

barr08
Jul 19, 2007, 09:01 PM

Some lame dude has a huge list of spoilers with no warning and did not even put it i white!

Yeah, I am furious...

Shaduu
Jul 20, 2007, 05:21 AM
I'll be going to a midnight launch at Borders in Stockport. :D

Damn leakers/hoaxers! Let's just hope they're wrong.

iBlue
Jul 20, 2007, 07:32 AM

report the post please. a moderator will delete it and hopefully kick the culprit right in the pooper.

BoyBach
Jul 20, 2007, 01:15 PM
I've had a text message from my contact in "the retail world" (as he called it!) that the rumour is that Tesco will be selling Harry Potter for a whole 5.

I am now ducking out of all Harry Potter treads until I've finished the book.

:)

BoyBach
Jul 20, 2007, 07:09 PM
It's disappointingly small (the Harry Potter book I mean! :p )

Anyway, the teabag is in the mug and the kettle is boiling. What more could I want...*

* Try to keep it clean, please! ;)

milo
Jul 23, 2007, 11:21 AM

anyway dont mean to offend too many people

Nope, you've got it wrong. The language isn't dumbed down at all, the only changes are a few british phrases that americans would be unfamiliar with.

The change to the title of the original book was simply because Arthur Levine thought that when people saw "philosopher's stone" they'd assume the book was about philosophers. The series wasn't well known in the USA, and he wanted readers to have an idea what the book was about from the title.

Honestly, knowing nothing about the book, would anyone have any idea that "Harry Potter and the philosopher's stone" had anything to do with magic or wizards? No.

Hey, I warned you. Best to avoid anything even vaguely HP related until finishing the book.

And while there were fake versions floating around, the photos and the text versions taken from them turned out to be completely legit.