PDA

View Full Version : Canada tokes at 4 times world average

obeygiant
Jul 21, 2007, 10:03 PM
Canadians use marijuana at four times the world average, making Canada the leader of the industrialized world in cannabis consumption, a recent United Nations report found.

The 2007 World Drug Report by the UN Office on Drugs and Crime says that 16.8 per cent of Canadians aged 15 to 64 smoked marijuana or used another cannabis product in 2006. The world average is 3.8 per cent.

In the report, Canada ranks fifth in the world for marijuana use, behind Ghana at 21.5 per cent, Zambia, 17.7 per cent, and Papua New Guinea and Micronesia with 29 per cent each.

Cannabis accounts for the bulk of global drug use, consumed by 160 million people.

In 2006, about 200 million people, or five per cent of the world's population aged from 15 to 64, used drugs at least once. Of those, an estimated 25 million had drug dependencies.

The report found that Canada also had a high rate of usage for cocaine, at 2.3 per cent of population, ranking it third behind Spain and England.

For the other top three drugs heroin, amphetamines and ecstasy Canada was near or under the international average for usage.

The UN report found that overall, drug usage around the world is relatively stable for the third year in a row.

"Overall, we seem to have reached a point where the world drug situation has stabilized and been brought under control," said the report.cbc (http://www.cbc.ca/health/story/2007/07/09/canada-cannabis.html?ref=rss)

Jeez Canada, I had no idea.

Mr_Brightside_@
Jul 21, 2007, 10:13 PM
cbc (http://www.cbc.ca/health/story/2007/07/09/canada-cannabis.html?ref=rss)

Jeez Canada, I had no idea.
Yeaaah. Represent.

Abstract
Jul 21, 2007, 10:28 PM
You really had no idea?

obeygiant
Jul 21, 2007, 11:06 PM
You really had no idea?

ha, well I might have had an inkling, but 4 times the world average is impressive. :)

dornoforpyros
Jul 21, 2007, 11:17 PM
Oh Canada :D

tutubibi
Jul 21, 2007, 11:39 PM
Finally, something to be proud of ... :D

So good to be Canadian these days ;)

yg17
Jul 22, 2007, 12:33 AM
Oh Canada :D

Our stoned and wasted land
True potheads, The Grateful Dead is the best band!

RandomDeadHead
Jul 22, 2007, 01:16 AM
Why yes, indeed.

Nermal
Jul 22, 2007, 01:25 AM
Wake me up when you have some actual news :p

Mord
Jul 22, 2007, 02:32 AM
Is that taking into account quality? canadian weed is allot better than the stuff we get here usually, I'd have to smoke a heck of allot more to get as stoned here as i would in canada.

kwajo.com
Jul 22, 2007, 07:41 AM
Ugh. This is one of the only things I don't like about being Canadian.

MrSmith
Jul 22, 2007, 08:36 AM
What's Canada?

Dagless
Jul 22, 2007, 09:33 AM
This is something to be proud of?

Shadow
Jul 22, 2007, 09:49 AM
Duuuuuuuuuuude.....

fistful
Jul 22, 2007, 10:06 AM
This is something to be proud of?

No. Certainly not to be condemned either.

It's not that big a deal.

Mr_Brightside_@
Jul 22, 2007, 10:10 AM
Our stoned and wasted land
True potheads, The Grateful Dead is the best band!
Whoa- you actually got the new version of our anthem. When I went to the Albuquerque NAC they had some 1850 version of it.

Dagless
Jul 22, 2007, 11:52 AM

A country taking more drugs than any other, certainly sounds like a big deal.

fistful
Jul 22, 2007, 12:41 PM

Not than any other, only in the industrialized world. Canada is 5th in the world according to the article.

I'm of the belief bad people will do bad things whether they are sober, drunk or stoned. In my experience the only crimes most marijuana users in this country are charged with are primarily related to possession/trafficking of small amounts with little to no relation with other more serious crimes. I feel that it doesn't have a very negative impact on Canadian society besides wasting funds on prosecuting pot smokers. I tried to find some stats on that but I'm really not sure where to look.

Mind you this is coming from someone who no longer drinks, smokes or does drugs except on very rare occasions.

( I didn't get to sleep last night so I'm not sure how coherent this post is)

zap2
Jul 22, 2007, 12:45 PM
Ha...oh Canada!

mkrishnan
Jul 22, 2007, 12:47 PM
For those about to toke, we salute you! :)

http://images.wikia.com/uncyclopedia/images/8/8a/Cannaba.jpg

Peace
Jul 22, 2007, 12:50 PM
Blame the McKenzie Brothers :p

iPhil
Jul 22, 2007, 01:05 PM
What's Canada?

It's U.S.A.'s Hat .. :o

Legolamb
Jul 22, 2007, 01:36 PM
I was waiting for someone to pot .. er post... this. BUT it's really because of la belle province. Blame Quebec. Who knew? Does this absolve or add to the crime of Celine Dion :D
Quebec smokes rest of Canada in pot use
David Johnston, CanWest News Service
Published:*Sunday, July 15, 2007
MONTREAL -- Were it not for prodigious pot use in Quebec, Canada would not have placed first in a United Nations drug study of marijuana use in the industrialized world.
In fact, were Quebec a sovereign nation, it would have finished first ahead of Canada, according to a breakdown of the data supplied by Canada for the UN study......

http://www.canada.com/nationalpost/news/story.html?id=29832c65-8e44-469b-823b-081e81353cf8&k=0

brad.c
Jul 22, 2007, 06:24 PM
It's U.S.A.'s Hat .. :o

Actually, the U.S. is Canada's But seriously, it's only pot. It ain't crack. It ain't blow. It ain't Bush. ;)

devilot
Jul 22, 2007, 06:39 PM
Is that taking into account quality? canadian weed is allot better than the stuff we get here usually...Y'all need some Californian lovin'. :D Note, it's been years since I've gone near the stuff.

elfin buddy
Jul 22, 2007, 06:43 PM
I was waiting for someone to pot .. er post... this. BUT it's really because of la belle province. Blame Quebec. Who knew? Does this absolve or add to the crime of Celine Dion :D
Quebec smokes rest of Canada in pot use
David Johnston, CanWest News Service
Published:*Sunday, July 15, 2007
MONTREAL -- Were it not for prodigious pot use in Quebec, Canada would not have placed first in a United Nations drug study of marijuana use in the industrialized world.
In fact, were Quebec a sovereign nation, it would have finished first ahead of Canada, according to a breakdown of the data supplied by Canada for the UN study......

http://www.canada.com/nationalpost/news/story.html?id=29832c65-8e44-469b-823b-081e81353cf8&k=0

Interesting article...nice find! I particularly like where they mention what countries came first for other drugs:

Spain topped the world for cocaine, Iran for heroin, Australia for ecstasy and the Philippines for amphetamines.

I'm really not surprised that Quebec is a major driving force of Canada's consumption. I've only been here in Montreal for a few months, but I've already seen just how socially acceptable it is to casually smoke pot. People smoking joints walking down the street, at festivals, waiting in line, et cetera.

I actually found a bag of pot lying in the middle of a walking path about a month ago. Nobody even considered it out of the ordinary :p:rolleyes:

SMM
Jul 22, 2007, 06:47 PM
Canada's drug policy is so much more in-tune with reality than that of the US. The drug czar will point to this and say, "See there, the policy is failed". The reality is, Canadians are not scared to omit they smoke.

Criminalizing marijuana was a political decision, brought on by the same small-minded individuals who sponsored prohibition. That was repealed, but marijuana did not have sufficient eco-political clout to be over-turned as well. So, those statutes remained on the books. By the late 60's, marijuana legalization looked like it would pass. Indeed, in Alaska it was legal to possess up to one pound for personal use. In Seattle, it was a civil infraction with a small ticket. Other areas also had very lenient laws. Then Nancy Reagan came in, with her hair tied too tight. She thought drugs and rock and roll were the cause of all America's problems. She began the great drug scare of the 70's.

Nowadays, if you look closely, the loudest voices against legalization are law enforcement. You see, they get billions of dollars to fight the drug war. That is how they can afford all of their toys. It is also how they get away with their dismal performance for other crimes. Arrests looking low? Go round up a bunch of drug users and get the numbers up.

Go Canada!

Legolamb
Jul 22, 2007, 07:28 PM
...I actually found a bag of pot lying in the middle of a walking path about a month ago. Nobody even considered it out of the ordinary :p:rolleyes:

It's mine. I lost it on the walking path last month. :D

Seriously, Montreal is casual about drinking, sex, weed, and other things that drive the rest of the continent and Canada mad (apart from British Columbia, where, as the same article points out, 3/4 of the pot comes from). Interestingly, living here, I don't find Montreal is a centre of debauchery at all. Most people are fairly responsible citizens (except when they drive). Toking or not does not define your lifestyle here unless you're 14. By 16 or so, most kids have figured out it's not a big deal so there isn't a cachet in doing it or not.
There are many reasons for the laissez-faire attitude here, much of which can be traced to the Quiet Revolution of the 60's against the Catholic Church as well as Anglophone society.

Abstract
Jul 22, 2007, 09:31 PM
If the world were fair, they'd just make smoking marijuana legal, and make cigarettes and alcohol illegal. Alcohol can kill a drinker in one night, cause violence/fights, property damage, and more stupidity than any other drug. Pot can't. And cigarettes don't smell as good as pot, so let people smoke pot instead of cigs. ;)

imac/cheese
Jul 23, 2007, 03:35 PM
If the world were fair, they'd just make smoking marijuana legal, and make cigarettes and alcohol illegal. Alcohol can kill a drinker in one night, cause violence/fights, property damage, and more stupidity than any other drug. Pot can't. And cigarettes don't smell as good as pot, so let people smoke pot instead of cigs. ;)

Pot can be dangerous as well. I knew guys in college that would get the muchies when high and thought it would be a good idea to drive to the store to get some food. They told stories about how they would not really remember getting to the store or driving at all. They just seemed to arrive at the store at some point.

It is still a drug that makes people do stupid things.

PlaceofDis
Jul 23, 2007, 03:40 PM

indeed, it shouldn't be condemned nor made a big fuss about.

why? a certain amount on your person is legal there. and its not like its a depressant drug.

i don't see a thing wrong with it.

jsw
Jul 23, 2007, 03:46 PM
I'll see you all in a while. I'm moving to Quebec to start a mobile snack vending business. I'm thinking munchies = money.

emotion
Jul 23, 2007, 04:22 PM
Interesting stat:

"And, as far as marijuana is concerned, the data suggest only five to 15% of Canadian marijuana users are "problem" users -- a proportion that is more or less the same for users of alcohol.."

So why make that particular substance illegal? It's a waste of a society's resources to uphold the "war on drugs".

elfin buddy
Jul 23, 2007, 10:06 PM
why? a certain amount on your person is legal there.

Here in Canada? I wish... :p I'm pretty sure the decriminalisation of marijuana legislation came crashing down with the last minority Liberal government.

Abstract
Jul 24, 2007, 12:11 AM
The decriminalization legislation didn't come crashing down. I believe it was already legal to carry around marijuana around with you as long as it was under 30 or 40 g or something. Since 2003 or 2004, it has been completely illegal and you'd get fined $200 or so, rather than just have it taken away.

Now the fact of the matter is, nobody is going to take it away from you.

elfin buddy
Jul 24, 2007, 08:52 AM
The decriminalization legislation didn't come crashing down. I believe it was already legal to carry around marijuana around with you as long as it was under 30 or 40 g or something. Since 2003 or 2004, it has been completely illegal and you'd get fined $200 or so, rather than just have it taken away.

Nope, it has been illegal to be carrying any amount of marijuana since 1961: http://www.readersdigest.ca/mag/2004/04/marijuana.html

The proposed reforms to marijuana legislation (that never passed) would have decriminalised carrying small amounts (like less than 15 grams), but your marijuana would still have been subject to confiscation and you would be subject to fines. The difference is that if it were decriminalised, you wouldn't get thrown in jail, nor would you get a criminal record for it. It would be more like a parking ticket.

Now the fact of the matter is, nobody is going to take it away from you.

Since it's becoming more and more socially acceptable, police are doing less and less about people who smoke pot. Nonetheless, it's still well within their powers to take your pot and indict you for a criminal offence.

About Canada's Marijuana Laws: http://canadaonline.about.com/od/bills/p/mjreform.htm

Of course, if you have some links to the contrary, I'd love to see them.

Abstract
Jul 24, 2007, 10:55 AM
About Canada's Marijuana Laws: http://canadaonline.about.com/od/bills/p/mjreform.htm

Of course, if you have some links to the contrary, I'd love to see them.

No, it was legal, but then it wasn't again.

I had this same discussion with a friend from France who didn't believe me. I told him that marijuana was decriminalized, and they would either take it away, or they would let you keep it, but give you a speech about drug use and give you a brochure with details on how to seek help for addiction and such.

However, seeing as how I'm doing my PhD in Australia and left in 2003, apparently I was actually wrong and the law changed after I left. Meh, how would I know that the law changed after I left?

Anyway, I checked Google, and I can't find the 2-3 fantastic sources I found last time. I don't know why.

Anyway, after someone was caught with marijuana, a judge ruled that Canada's laws for marijuanas are unclear and outdated, and that this person shouldn't be punished using outdated laws. The person was free to go. Later on, it changed back to being illegal.

obeygiant
Jul 24, 2007, 12:25 PM

According to the Health Canada's 2002 Youth Smoking Survey, which looked at marijuana as well as tobacco, 32% of students in Grades 7 to 9 in Quebec have smoked marijuana at least once.
That compares with 18% in British Columbia, which ranked second in Canada, and 11% in Ontario, which ranked lowest among provinces and territories

Eventhough I don't usually have a problem with pot use. I don't think its so good for kids. 32% of 7 to 9th grades have tried dope? Thats awful.

emotion
Jul 24, 2007, 02:34 PM
Eventhough I don't usually have a problem with pot use. I don't think its so good for kids. 32% of 7 to 9th grades have tried dope? Thats awful.

Fair point.

killerrobot
Jul 24, 2007, 02:48 PM
Yeah, marijuana is great for sissies, but if you ever want to get into "hard" drugs, then look no farther than Spain, Europe's new Holland, but just without the legality of it all.:)

Legolamb
Jul 24, 2007, 03:38 PM

Not condoning it (or any other substance) for kids, but after grade 10, it pretty much runs out as a hip thing to do. So does drinking, which starts unofficially around 14. Purely anecdotal, but my experience with about 1000 kids here who are now 19 and 20, no one gets sloshed anymore, and a handful maybe smoke twice a year (about half not at all) and only 2 kids do hard stuff (and these kids got it from their parents :eek:).
Frankly, we were more worried about tobacco.

BKKbill
Jul 25, 2007, 08:29 AM
I'm hungry. From Vancouver Island now in the land of smiles. :D

Abstract
Jul 25, 2007, 08:42 AM
There is no actual Vancouver Island. Everybody who claims to be living there is floating on a bed of cloud.

BKKbill
Jul 25, 2007, 08:53 AM
There is no actual Vancouver Island. Everybody who claims to be living there is floating on a bed of cloud.

How true how true must have just floated away.. I stand corrected. :p