PDA

View Full Version : Samsung Announces 160GB 1.8

MacRumors
Aug 21, 2007, 01:15 AM
http://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com)

Samsung has announced (http://home.businesswire.com/portal/site/google/index.jsp?ndmViewId=news_view&newsId=20070820005213&newsLang=en) a 160GB 1.8" Hard Drive that would be suitable for use in devices such as Apple's iPod.
The 1.8 HDD has gained momentum from the mobile consumer markets as the storage medium of choice by providing high volume solutions at the most economical price points. Devices such as MP3 players and personal media players are using the 1.8 HDD as the storage medium to support music files, video and Internet access.

Apple's iPod is overdue (http://buyersguide.macrumors.com/#iPod) for an update, with the last update almost a year ago. The high end iPod currently tops out at 80GB. Both Toshiba and Samsung have made steady advances in these micro hard drives over the past year, but Apple has not yet taken advantage of these higher capacities.

Apple is widely expected to release new iPods in the coming months. The most recent circulating rumors (http://www.macrumors.com/2007/07/31/iphone-nano-details-and-full-touchscreen-ipod/) point to fullsize touchscreen (iPhone-like) iPod to replace the high end iPod.

Article Link (http://www.macrumors.com/2007/08/21/samsung-announces-160gb-1-8-hard-drive/)

DaftUnion
Aug 21, 2007, 01:19 AM
I would love to see them use a 160gb hard drive on the iPod. I could finally fit my entire music collection and a good amount of photos and videos.

yoda13
Aug 21, 2007, 01:26 AM
I would love to see them use a 160gb hard drive on the iPod. I could finally fit my entire music collection and a good amount of photos and videos.

I agree, the more the merrier...I might finally be able to take as many of my movies along with me as I want...:)

thejadedmonkey
Aug 21, 2007, 01:29 AM
Apple really needs to update, there was a time when the iPod music player was a leader in storage space with a whopping 5 gigs of space. That left all other mp3 players in the dust (especially with battery life!), and it's about time Apple reclaimed the throne.

BWhaler
Aug 21, 2007, 01:30 AM
After buying an iPhone, I wasn't sure why I would buy an iPod again.

But with a 160 gigs, and if Apple can push battery life for video over 10 hours with a bigger screen (wishing now...) I will be the first in line...

Zwhaler
Aug 21, 2007, 01:32 AM
Now THAT is something I would be interested in. I could put entire seasons of all my TV shows on it.

DoFoT9
Aug 21, 2007, 01:33 AM
what are the consumption ratings for this thing? they should be exactly the same as the smaller drives shouldn't they? this is an awsome advance in technology!! soon we can have those puppies in lappy HDD's :)

PumaGuy
Aug 21, 2007, 01:53 AM
160GB sounds nice and all, but what would be the price tag on it?:eek:

bigandy
Aug 21, 2007, 01:59 AM
nice. but i bet it won't be included in the iPod until the next generation (7G), just like there isn't a 120Gb at the mo, which we'll probably see at the next (6G) update methinks.

-kritter-
Aug 21, 2007, 02:00 AM
hmmm this is a good thing, but i personally hope that the 6G iPod uses flash, im extremely picky with my music and 16GB of flash would be totally adequate for me, i would rather have more battery life than a huge HDD that i would probably never fill up...and i would also like a slimmer more durable ipod, and a harddrive just wouldnt allow apple to fulfill those things...

TuffLuffJimmy
Aug 21, 2007, 02:02 AM
hmmm this is a good thing, but i personally hope that the 6G iPod uses flash, im extremely picky with my music and 16GB of flash would be totally adequate for me, i would rather have more battery life than a huge HDD that i would probably never fill up...and i would also like a slimmer more durable ipod, and a harddrive just wouldnt allow apple to fulfill those things...

then get the next nano... It will most likely have 16GB of space. For the rest of us we want an external hard drive for movie collections and back ups.

Multimedia
Aug 21, 2007, 02:02 AM
Next Gen AVC-Intra 3CCD HD Video Camcorders need this ASAP.

J@ffa
Aug 21, 2007, 02:03 AM
Is anyone else getting impatient with this iPod waiting lark? I'm ready to order the top of the line one, be it 80GB or 160GB, as soon as it comes out but I'm just hoping that's early next month at the latest.

I really hope they come out with a new form factor, though. If it's a 6G iPod with a bigger hard drive and an OS X-type OS, I doubt I'll go for it, and even your man-on-the-street prospective iPod purchaser is going to either consciously or otherwise dismiss them. People want the next big thing, and a proper iPod video with some cool bits and pieces on it is going to be popular. Having said that, even though the video capability of the current iPods is t3h suckag3, loads of people I know are perfectly happy with it and use it all the time. Although, Apple has a knack for figuring out what people want before they realise it themselves... but if they want those Christmas sales they'd better hurry up! :P

-kritter-
Aug 21, 2007, 02:09 AM
then get the next nano... It will most likely have 16GB of space. For the rest of us we want an external hard drive for movie collections and back ups.

omg no way, the next gen nano will have 16GB of nand flash... all i want is the feel of a full sized ipod without the feeling if i once drop this, the harddrive could be toast. im also remembering some rumors awhile back of apple going all flash in the near future.... please dont rain on my parade

maxjg
Aug 21, 2007, 02:24 AM
Let's do some math, shall we?

160GB HDD + Full Touch Screen = THE BEST IPOD EVER.

I've got money in hand. Just announce the damn thing Apple!

Don Bagles
Aug 21, 2007, 02:38 AM
I think that having 160GB of storage in the next gen iPod would draw a clear line between it and the iPhone. It would enable apple to release an iPhone minus the Phone, without them looking too similar.

8GB vs 160GB = two very different products. One is a media player, the other is a communication device.

They'd need to also give the iPod some video features that the iPhone doesn't have. Higher resolution or something... to help draw the line between the two.

However, remember those leaked videos of the interface of the next gen iPod? It's not fullscreen/touchscreen! So i'm depressed. They're gonna make a minor update to the current iPod, and put a larger hard drive in. :(

nlivo
Aug 21, 2007, 03:18 AM
the next iPod will be 120GB and then they will make a minor update to that in january and clock it up to 160GB which is what we are seeing now. i am so sick of the current iPod's...THEY SUCK!! hurry up apple!!!

MacFly123
Aug 21, 2007, 03:20 AM
Here is the new line up :)

DoFoT9
Aug 21, 2007, 03:30 AM
^^ sorry but i cant see that happening.... too, square

knelto
Aug 21, 2007, 03:32 AM
However, remember those leaked videos of the interface of the next gen iPod? It's not fullscreen/touchscreen! So i'm depressed. They're gonna make a minor update to the current iPod, and put a larger hard drive in. :(

Something just hit me.

I think the 6G HAS to be a widescreen/touchscreen and large capacity. Why?

Remember how people were somewhat let down with the 5.5G iPod, being that it only got a slight bump? My guess is that Apple has had the iPhone iPod all along, but couldn't release it because the iPhone wasn't out yet. If they released it last year, then everyone would be clamoring about the touch interface and widescreen in the iPod rather than in the iPhone. Once the iPhone was released people were thinking "Damn, what if they released an iPod like that!" Sure, the iPod would've sold amazingly if they released it a year ago, but I think it would've made the iPhone look a little less attractive. In releasing it the way they did, they built massive hype for the iPhone and will appease everyone who wants the large capacity, phone/internet-less iPod.

Analog Kid
Aug 21, 2007, 03:48 AM
Something just hit me.

Remember how people were somewhat let down with the 5.5G iPod, being that it only got a slight bump? My guess is that Apple has had the iPhone iPod all along, but couldn't release it because the iPhone wasn't out yet. If they released it last year, then everyone would be clamoring about the touch interface and widescreen in the iPod rather than in the iPhone. Once the iPhone was released people were thinking "Damn, what if they released an iPod like that!" Sure, the iPod would've sold amazingly if they released it a year ago, but I think it would've made the iPhone look a little less attractive. In releasing it the way they did, they built massive hype for the iPhone and will appease everyone who wants the large capacity, phone/internet-less iPod.
I think I agree with this, but it does beg the question: what about Europe/Asia? Will they get their fancy new iPod before the iPhone hits their markets?

I fear people are right that the 160s won't hit until a minor bump down the line... It would certainly be a bummer though. My 60GB is chock full, and I'm sure I could fill 120GB without much thought.

Vinnie_vw
Aug 21, 2007, 03:50 AM
@ knelto: please let it hit you again. The iPhone is not even out yet in other countries and you expect Apple to undercut the market already?

In any case, I think 160 GB would only be nice for a small sub-set of the market: those that have insanely large collections, probably illegally acquired, and those that are really looking for a jukebox to keep at home / take with them.

For the movie-argument, I'd also like to stress that there is no movies on non-US iTunes yet. That said, if they introduced super-HD movies + a large-capacity iPod, that would probably do really well.

beer.coffee
Aug 21, 2007, 03:56 AM
8GB vs 160GB = two very different products. One is a media player, the other is a communication device.

They'd need to also give the iPod some video features that the iPhone doesn't have. Higher resolution or something... to help draw the line between the two.

But remember that quote on the iPhone commercial...."Our best iPod yet" or something along that line. My bet is that they are trying to rack up as many iPhone sales as they can before the release of the widescreen iPod. And considering uk/europe doesnt have the iPhone yet i can see it being put back.

Some would say that they are completely different devices, but if you give the iPod a gorgeous widescreen and touch display with coverflow then you basically have the entire looks and functionality of an iPhone. The only real thing that the iPhone would have over it is telephone and email, and the other added extra's from a typical consumer point of view aren't that essential, especially when you look at the price of the phone and the plans. And to further flog the dead horse you would have 112Gb's less of storage compared to the new iPod. So i think that Apple are going to want to get as many people on the fixed telecommunication plans (which is half the profit) before they release a reasonably similar alternative.

Though if you look at if from the other angle, the full size iPod line is getting rather stale and Apple arent making as many sales as they could (decreased iPod sales expectations for last quarter). But then again, is there any need introduce that new and revolutionary widescreen iPod if Apple are still by far the leader in regards to portable music? Nothing is going to knock them off in the near future, so is there much point in releasing the iPod now? It would affect iPhone sales, a new line of products that its trying to promote and get out into the public as much as they can.

Well thats my prediction. I hope to death that i am wrong though. I've been iPodless for around 6 months now and would really love the widescreen, though i'll still probably end up getting whatever they release next, i need music! For my student sized bank account, the iPhone will be a little too expensive when it comes out here in Australia. The price of the phone itself is fine, though the price of the plans are a killer. Might get it as a graduation present for myself....

Loge
Aug 21, 2007, 04:18 AM
those that have insanely large collections, probably illegally acquired

Stop talking like Steve Ballmer. There are plenty of reasons why someone might have a large collection legally acquired. CDs have beeen around 25 years; some people like lossless encoding etc etc.

bj3949
Aug 21, 2007, 04:18 AM
Isn't 1.8 Inches Pretty Thick??

MattG
Aug 21, 2007, 04:23 AM
;) *drooooool* ;)

Mmmmm...touchscreen wide-format 160gb iPod...yes, please

DoFoT9
Aug 21, 2007, 04:23 AM

haha theyr in the ipods now... so maybe not.

siurpeeman
Aug 21, 2007, 04:31 AM

it would be pretty thick. fortunately, we've got two other dimensions that 1.8" could be. ;)

http://tech.newsthis.com/wp-content/uploads/2006/12/toshiba-100gb-hdd.jpg

rcha101
Aug 21, 2007, 04:36 AM
I think Apple would be stupid to go down the track of putting a 160gb drive in an ipod. I would prefer to see more functionality like there is in the iriver products (built in radio tuner for starters) and longer battery life. Apple have gotten away with ipod hype for a long time now and i think the wave is starting to break.

Personally I find ipods boring now and can't wait to sell mine and get an iphone.

nukiduz
Aug 21, 2007, 04:36 AM
it would be pretty thick. fortunately, we've got two other dimensions that 1.8" could be. ;)

in fact, three.

twoodcc
Aug 21, 2007, 04:39 AM
well let's hope they get updated soon. it's looking like the end of next month though

siurpeeman
Aug 21, 2007, 04:44 AM
I think Apple would be stupid to go down the track of putting a 160gb drive in an ipod. I would prefer to see more functionality like there is in the iriver products (built in radio tuner for starters) and longer battery life. Apple have gotten away with ipod hype for a long time now and i think the wave is starting to break.

Personally I find ipods boring now and can't wait to sell mine and get an iphone.

i think ipods do what they're meant to do really well, and that is to play digital music. the only thing the ipod really needs is a larger screen for video viewing and a longer battery life. i could do without wifi or built-in radio.

in fact, three.

actually, no. thickness was already one dimension mentioned. i pointed out two other possible dimensions. is there something i'm not getting? :rolleyes:

offwidafairies
Aug 21, 2007, 05:16 AM
i'd buy it
my 60Gb drive is full and it doesnt hold everything i want on it :(

Scarlet Fever
Aug 21, 2007, 05:52 AM
i don't care about capacity (very few people have 160GB of iPod-playable media, and i doubt any of those people will want to have it all available to them all the time). I just want the drives to become more durable. In my experience, the HDD is usually the second component to die (very shortly after the battery). I think get the iPods up to 120GB, but make the drives more stable.

Dagless
Aug 21, 2007, 06:00 AM
Oooh, that's good. My library is increasing everytime the BBC put on a good show or film. I think it's at 105gb now, plus about 5gb for my iPhoto library. A 160gb drive would have me sorted for a very long time.

Plumbstone
Aug 21, 2007, 06:03 AM

not as thick as you obviously....

The above text is intended as a joke, no offense was intended, merely giggles....

diamond.g
Aug 21, 2007, 06:22 AM
Next Gen AVC-Intra 3CCD HD Video Camcorders need this ASAP.

It would also be nice if those camcorders did 1080p60 too (and by that I mean 1920x1080P @ 60 fps).

DoFoT9
Aug 21, 2007, 06:25 AM
It would also be nice if those camcorders did 1080p60 too (and by that I mean 1920x1080P @ 60 fps).
id kinda drop to your feet if you had that, and the fact that your computer would be powerful enuf to handle the bandwidth..

Str8edgepunker
Aug 21, 2007, 07:08 AM
Wow, just wow. This would certainly keep me occupied putting movies on it! :D

DayLightPix
Aug 21, 2007, 07:09 AM
omg no way, the next gen nano will have 16GB of nand flash... all i want is the feel of a full sized ipod without the feeling if i once drop this, the harddrive could be toast. im also remembering some rumors awhile back of apple going all flash in the near future.... please dont rain on my parade

That's just a lack of technical knowledge and regurgitation of FUD.

iPod, due to the buffer size, access the hard drive for seconds to fill the buffer once every 40-60 minutes. The harddrive is NOT spinning all the time.

Nobody is perfect. People drop all kinds of things including iPod. Heck, Ive dropped my iPod a few times. And guess what, they still work perfectly. iPod: sold over 100 Million. Complaint about iPod being damaged due to its storage medium is non-existent except for the people who never owned one.

DayLightPix
Aug 21, 2007, 07:21 AM
i don't care about capacity (very few people have 160GB of iPod-playable media, and i doubt any of those people will want to have it all available to them all the time). I just want the drives to become more durable. In my experience, the HDD is usually the second component to die (very shortly after the battery). I think get the iPods up to 120GB, but make the drives more stable.

There are people who buy CDs and have been encoding them in AIFF for over 10 years. Those people would like their whole music collection on their iPod as a back up measure. At this time, I personally want a 250gb iPod.

DayLightPix
Aug 21, 2007, 07:22 AM

Radio is now owned by a few big corporations and they play the same songs over and over again. I can replicate radio, with some songs played about dozen times every day, by putting 25 to 50 song on iPod in a loop. I don't ever listen to radio anymore when I am in the car.

The programming that's better than radio is podcast. You can listen to it or watch it any time.

blybug
Aug 21, 2007, 07:28 AM
Apple really needs to update, there was a time when the iPod music player was a leader in storage space with a whopping 5 gigs of space. That left all other mp3 players in the dust (especially with battery life!), and it's about time Apple reclaimed the throne.
Hmmm...not really. When the first-gen 5GB iPod came out I already owned a 20GB Creative Nomad Jukebox (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Creative_NOMAD) and had 11GB of music on it. It was almost exactly the same size and shape as a portable CD player (how uninventive), with a klunky but usable interface, which sync'ed (s..l..o..w..l..y over USB) to Soundjam and early versions of iTunes. It had a laptop hard drive inside, which accounted for the size and weight!

What Apple had on the other guys at the time was a small form factor per gigabyte, remarkable and magical user interface, and FAST FireWire transfer. I recall how painful it was for me as an Apple fanboy to wait a full year until the 15GB and 30GB iPod models came out (albeit with that goofy row of 4 super-sensitive control buttons) and I could join the iPod army.

hms
Aug 21, 2007, 07:37 AM
The grammatical errors in these news headlines are starting to get to me. :confused:

krye
Aug 21, 2007, 07:43 AM
Sorry to burst your bubble guys, but hard drives are old school and Apple knows it. The failure rates are higher, they limit the device size, and they use too much power.

With the amount of flash that Apple is picking up, one can only conclude that there will be no more hdds in future iPods. Don't forget the flash based laptops that they are working on.

If you do the math, I think the next gen high-end nano will sport 16G flash and the next gen video will sport 16G and 32G of flash.

I stinks that the users used to the 60/80G configurations will have to take a hit to keep up with technology.

Eduardo1971
Aug 21, 2007, 07:58 AM
I would buy an 160 GB iPod (which would make it my very first ipod :eek:)!

sammich
Aug 21, 2007, 08:08 AM
Sorry to burst your bubble guys, but hard drives are old school and Apple knows it. The failure rates are higher, they limit the device size, and they use too much power.

With the amount of flash that Apple is picking up, one can only conclude that there will be no more hdds in future iPods. Don't forget the flash based laptops that they are working on.

If you do the math, I think the next gen high-end nano will sport 16G flash and the next gen video will sport 16G and 32G of flash.

I stinks that the users used to the 60/80G configurations will have to take a hit to keep up with technology.

Have you ever considered that PRICE is the main reason why they don't offer huge flash-based iPod's? Checked the price of that new Sony Vaio with a flash hdd?

Customers won't give half a crap what the storage medium in the new iPods is if the price is double what it is now. The iPods are need to stay mainstream.

Not to mention that there simply isn't enough supply to meet such a demand for such widespread use of flash-based storage. Don't forget that people will want to take their 50gigs+ of video/music/photos with them, so 32gigs of flash-ed iPod just won't do.

A Pittarelli
Aug 21, 2007, 08:10 AM
what a great way to help stir rumors about flash ipods

Eduardo1971
Aug 21, 2007, 08:12 AM
In any case, I think 160 GB would only be nice for a small sub-set of the market: those that have insanely large collections, probably illegally acquired, ...

Speak for yourself Mr. "Super Cranky". I have 115 GB of music on my Macbook. ALL legally acquired/purchased (either through my 1,000+ CD's, subscription to emusic.com, and iTunes store purchases).
:p

imikem
Aug 21, 2007, 08:16 AM
Seems to me another, arguably more needed use for these giant 1.8" drives would be in laptops. You could put at least two in a standard lappy and get a RAID 1 to protect your data, a rather good thing in a professional setup. Maybe even 3 or 4 in a RAID 5 config.

Porchland
Aug 21, 2007, 08:28 AM
nice. but i bet it won't be included in the iPod until the next generation (7G), just like there isn't a 120Gb at the mo, which we'll probably see at the next (6G) update methinks.

This would be very cool in the 6G iPod that will come out the next few months, but I think it's no better than 50/50 that will happen.

This is probably first headed for a MacBook Pro refresh.

mambodancer
Aug 21, 2007, 08:40 AM
Something just hit me.

I agree.

I think July was iPhone month.
August is iMac month.
September will be all about iPods and the Beatles. (and Apple TV)
October will be Leopard month (maybe see new laptops)
November & December nothing special going into the holiday season until MacWorld in January. (Maybe MacPro speed bumps)
January Apple announces purchase of Netflix and integrates it into iTunes with online rentals and movie downloads. (just kidding, but that would be sweet!)

jayb2000
Aug 21, 2007, 08:43 AM
My library is over 60 gig and I want to do it over in lossless (currently at 192 AAC). So a 160gb would be great.
Oh, and yes, its legal, I have been buying CDs for 20 years, currently have ~1000 CDs.

My old 3g is still working fine, but I could maybe get my wife to think about the 160 for Christmas :D

johnmcboston
Aug 21, 2007, 08:46 AM
Fascinating. We had the exact same discussions all of 3 months ago when the 120GB drives were announced... Some things never change. :)

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=299598

Dagless
Aug 21, 2007, 08:47 AM
@ knelto: please let it hit you again. The iPhone is not even out yet in other countries and you expect Apple to undercut the market already?

In any case, I think 160 GB would only be nice for a small sub-set of the market: those that have insanely large collections, probably illegally acquired, and those that are really looking for a jukebox to keep at home / take with them.

For the movie-argument, I'd also like to stress that there is no movies on non-US iTunes yet. That said, if they introduced super-HD movies + a large-capacity iPod, that would probably do really well.

Illegally acquired? WTF. Right, so my eyeTV and CD library are illegally acquired now? Or people who encode less CD's in lossless are illegal?

Radio is now owned by a few big corporations and they play the same songs over and over again. I can replicate radio, with some songs played about dozen times every day, by putting 25 to 50 song on iPod in a loop. I don't ever listen to radio anymore when I am in the car.

The programming that's better than radio is podcast. You can listen to it or watch it any time.

I didn't know I could get up to the minute news, weather and traffic reports in a podcast...
*I listen to the radio for that and the shows that aren't available as podcasts.

morespce54
Aug 21, 2007, 09:13 AM
Wow! That would make a huge iPhone... eh... iPod! ;)

yzp
Aug 21, 2007, 09:16 AM
great, however we're still awaiting a 160 GB FLASH HD...

jklps
Aug 21, 2007, 09:18 AM
There are people who buy CDs and have been encoding them in AIFF for over 10 years. Those people would like their whole music collection on their iPod as a back up measure. At this time, I personally want a 250gb iPod.

Exactly. Release a 160GB iPod and I'll order one that day. I know that people like the Nano's because they are small, etc, and I get that(and would not mind having one)...but it's great to have the option of any CD I own with me at all times, in what really isn't THAT big of a package.

mozmac
Aug 21, 2007, 09:20 AM
I still have an 80 GB hard drive in my ThinkPad! It'll be a sad day when a music player can hold more than my $2,000 laptop. Hopefully when that day comes, I will be back on a Mac where I belong.

Digital Skunk
Aug 21, 2007, 09:31 AM
Apple better use this beast of a drive in their next full sized video touch-screen iPod. :mad:

psychboy
Aug 21, 2007, 09:41 AM
actually, no. thickness was already one dimension mentioned. i pointed out two other possible dimensions. is there something i'm not getting? :rolleyes:
Little known fact: the fourth dimension is love.

Squonk
Aug 21, 2007, 10:14 AM
Sign me up too! My 60GB is basically full with the brunt of my LEGAL music on MY LEGALLY PURCHASED CD's ripped at 320 vbr on high. All new music is being ripped in Apple Lossless format. So a 120 or 160 would be outstanding. Oh yeah, and let's not forget about my 10,000 or so 6MP photo's. I'll take a new larger capacity iPod now please :apple: :D

nemaslov
Aug 21, 2007, 10:15 AM
I am SO THERE! I want a new iPod that holds at least 120GB so I can bring my music only library with me everywhere. 160GB would be great to have room to grow!

mike dunx
Aug 21, 2007, 10:16 AM
This is great. But a 32Gb flash drive would be more than good enough for me. Only if it's in the new full screen iPod. I only have a portion of my library that I feel necessary to have on my iPod, and I'll probably rip a few videos to watch on that beautiful screen. So 32 GB Flash would be perfect. Not to mention faster and more stable than traditional iPod hd's.

morespce54
Aug 21, 2007, 10:22 AM

that is the question...

Black Belt
Aug 21, 2007, 10:47 AM
Sign me up! 160 gig is a start. If you don't know what to do with all that space, then you don't deserve one, you are amateurs at iPod! I can't wait for the 250 gig. I'd also love to see an adapter to download camera cards to the disk space and to be able to see those pics on the phone (including RAW), that would ROCK!

macfan70
Aug 21, 2007, 10:49 AM
Little known fact: the fourth dimension is love.

Actually, according to Mr. Willis: Love is the Fifth Element :D

gugy
Aug 21, 2007, 11:01 AM
Apple just said the iPhone is the best iPod ever made. Do you guys seriously think they will make an iPod 6g that is NOT a superior media player than the iPhone?
Little larger screen and larger capacity would put the iPod 6g as the king of all iPods.

I only hope they will include wi-fi and contacts on it. But I would be OK if they do not have it too.

savar
Aug 21, 2007, 11:03 AM
Let's do some math, shall we?

160GB HDD + Full Touch Screen = THE BEST IPOD EVER.

I've got money in hand. Just announce the damn thing Apple!

(in napoleon dynamite voice) I want one reeaaal bad, Kip!

whatever
Aug 21, 2007, 11:04 AM

What are you talking about?

Regain the throne?

People don't MP3 players anymore they buy iPods.

The only real threat to the iPod is the Zune and we all know how that's doing!

I have to admit I used to think that storage capacity was the most important thing to. Of course I wanted to store my 10,000 iTunes library on my iPod. But then I filled my iPod and waited and then I was given an iPod Shuffle as a gift and I've got to say that my iPod sits in a speaker down by the pool and the shuffle is the iPod that travels with me to the gym and on trips.

Also I have to admit that the iPod user interface really doesn't work well with a large library. Hopefully Apple drops it and uses the same interface found in the iPhone.

smurfy
Aug 21, 2007, 11:08 AM
hey, what about an iPod with a web browser in it? Or email? Or both?

Also, it strikes me that, since the new iMac kinda looks like the iPhone, maybe the new iPod will look like the new iMac?

macfan70
Aug 21, 2007, 11:08 AM
If they do release an 160 Gb iPod with the same form factor as the iPhone, I think there will be product confusion. I don't care very much for the concept images we have seen so far. Maybe a wider (larger) touch screen with a few external (not software) options may do the trick. :apple:

notjustjay
Aug 21, 2007, 11:12 AM
Stop talking like Steve Ballmer. There are plenty of reasons why someone might have a large collection legally acquired. CDs have beeen around 25 years; some people like lossless encoding etc etc.

When I recently moved to a new place, I packed up my stuff and realized I had eight file boxes crammed full of CD's and DVD's.

One day I plan to have all this ripped to a server somewhere. That will be a lot of inserting CD's...

smurfy
Aug 21, 2007, 11:12 AM
This would be very cool in the 6G iPod that will come out the next few months, but I think it's no better than 50/50 that will happen.

Hmm. I think they will HAVE to put these drives in MacBooks and MBPs before iPods, because people will get pretty p***** off if their neighbor has a $300 iPod with a bigger hard drive than their $1,000 notebook.

fastbite
Aug 21, 2007, 11:16 AM
I'm not fully buying the argument that the 6G iPod will be like the iPhone minus the phone, and that Apple can release it now because the iPhone has been out a few months -- Why would Apple only be concerned about the effect on iPhone sales in the US? the iPhone is not out on the rest of the world, and if they want to hit the magic numbers (and I'm sure they will) they need to make sure that there will no be canibalisation on the rest of the world...

Loge
Aug 21, 2007, 11:24 AM
Hmm. I think they will HAVE to put these drives in MacBooks and MBPs before iPods, because people will get pretty p***** off if their neighbor has a $300 iPod with a bigger hard drive than their $1,000 notebook.

These are 1.8 inch 4200 rpm drives; the ones in MB/MBP are physically larger and faster. Unless they are planning to put these in a new sub-notebook of course. :p

~Shard~
Aug 21, 2007, 11:25 AM
I'm looking forward to new iPods. My 3G is still suiting me just fine, but if Apple releases a full-screen version (i.e. an iPhone without the phone part ;)) then I'll definitely be picking one up.

network23
Aug 21, 2007, 11:29 AM
This just struck me, and I'm sure it's been mentioned here on the boards as well, but there have been hints and indications and clues that the iPhone will eventually have games (wasn't there some icons or code or something discovered?). While that may be the case, it could also add legs to the rumor that the next iPod will be touchscreen and OS X-based, just like the iPhone, because those game clues could just be bits going into the iPod. It makes sense that the new iPod and iPhone would share a lot of code and things like images and directory structure. Makes sense to me anyway.

I am a firm believer that we will see a touchscreen iPod similar in formfactor to the iPhone. I do not believe it will have any wireless/bluetooth/edge capability and that will be the defining difference between the iPod and iPhone. If you want connectivity, get an iPhone. If you want a large collection of movies/songs/tv shows in your pocket, get an iPod.

InLikeALion
Aug 21, 2007, 11:32 AM

iPod, due to the buffer size, access the hard drive for seconds to fill the buffer once every 40-60 minutes. The harddrive is NOT spinning all the time.

Nobody is perfect. People drop all kinds of things including iPod. Heck, I’ve dropped my iPod a few times. And guess what, they still work perfectly. iPod: sold over 100 Million. Complaint about iPod being damaged due to its storage medium is non-existent except for the people who never owned one.

Or perhaps because you've never had yours fail, you're applying that as fact to the 99,999,999 other user's experience. I for one am very paranoid about the HDD, as I've had 4 ipod harddrives break. I bought an ipod a few summers ago and since then had to ship it off 3 times. Apple now has to transfer me to higher-up managers to approve my replacements because it of how it looks having that many replaced. However, I take very good care of all my equipment. I don't throw them around, etc. My wife's 4G also just had the harddrive die.

Now i'm in the camp that is fine with more limited sizes of flash storage and learning to switch out my media. If more people let go of the phobia of not having ALL there media, ALL the time, and tried rotating stuff out as it had been used, I think a lot of people would be surprised by how the practice doesn't live up to their fears.

gugy
Aug 21, 2007, 11:34 AM
I am a firm believer that we will see a touchscreen iPod similar in formfactor to the iPhone. I do not believe it will have any wireless/bluetooth/edge capability and that will be the defining difference between the iPod and iPhone. If you want connectivity, get an iPhone. If you want a large collection of movies/songs/tv shows in your pocket, get an iPod.

DITTO!

I would love to have the wi-fi on the iPod, but I am pretty sure it won't have for the reason described above.

mike dunx
Aug 21, 2007, 11:46 AM
I really hope that they add wifi and bluetooth to the new iPods. That would make the iPod a little bit more like a laptop. It would give me a lot less reasons to take my laptop with me when I go somewhere. Also, having bluetooth would allow Apple to enable the iPod as a bluetooth remote, and sell more bluetooth headphones.

I think that if Apple just changed up iPhone design, took out the phone, changed a few of the OS visuals (more of an iPodesque OS), and added in larger flash drives,they'd will be able to make the gap between the iPhone and the iPod large enough.

Wanh
Aug 21, 2007, 11:50 AM
I really hope that they add wifi and bluetooth to the new iPods. That would make the iPod a little bit more like a laptop. It would give me a lot less reasons to take my laptop with me when I go somewhere. Also, having bluetooth would allow Apple to enable the iPod as a bluetooth remote, and sell more bluetooth headphones.

I think that if Apple just changed up iPhone design, took out the phone, changed a few of the OS visuals (more of an iPodesque OS), and added in larger flash drives,they'd will be able to make the gap between the iPhone and the iPod large enough.

There is no way these iPods are going to be flash based. The idea is to make these devices cheaper. Flash memory gets expensive....fast.

alec
Aug 21, 2007, 12:17 PM
160 GB would be incredible but necessary if they're serious about updating the iPod into a true video player. I fill up my current 60gb pretty quickly with just TV shows and a decent amount of music...

chadm
Aug 21, 2007, 12:25 PM
1st post... sorry it's so long.

I think that maybe you are hoping for something that would never happen. I would venture to guess that there are few people out there who would like the small storage capacity of the nano but the larger size of the video ipod. I think if the nano is redesigned to have a slightly larger form factor and screen, you would be the target customer. I find it extremely unlikely however that Apple would downgrade the capacity in favor of adding a few hours of battery life. Battery life is definitely more of an issue with a HDD, but it's a trade-off that most listeners with large libraries would be willing to make in order to carry more of their tunes in their pockets.

Do you honestly think Apple wants your media player to last forever? Honestly?

Hard drives that get carried around, put in pockets and backpacks or worse, dropped, are bound to fail eventually. Have you ever heard the phrase "planned obsolescence"? I think that might be a good argument for sticking with a more failure-prone technology.

That's not to mention the fact that dropping the disk size to 16/32 would be a death-blow to the iPod.

I personally have owned three ipods (3g 10gig - sold,4g 40gig - dead,5g 60gig - dead) and just had my most recent one fail. I'm waiting for a new one to come out that will hopefully hold the majority of my 110gig (legal) collection, if not all of it. Having some space for video would be nice but not necessary. I can't believe that Apple would suddenly decide to move backwards in the storage area when one of the main distinctions they make between models is the number of songs you can hold. Viewing a comparison chart of various ipod generations and models would lead me as a consumer to believe that while prone to failure, the 80gig ipod has the best value to price ratio, and would leave me looking elsewhere for a media device when the 5.5g ipod is discontinued.

There is no reason to take out a perfectly good, fast 250gig 2.5" SATA drive (current high end...) and replace it with a physically smaller, slower drive with less storage capacity. That would be asinine.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

With that said, I'm a collector of music, with a large collection that includes a decent amount of lossless music that I would like to carry in my pocket. I do not own a single CD player short of the optical drives in my computers. And those are used mostly for watching DVDs, ripping music from CDs, or installing software. My car stereo is a stock (VW, Monsoon) tape deck with aftermarket amps, speakers, and ipod integration. I would love to be able to carry 100% of my library in my pocket or car at all times. The primary reason I have such a large collection is that the ipod made it feasible for me to eliminate loose media, and still enjoy my music wherever I am. Until recently my music collection grew at only a slightly faster rate than the ipod's capacity. Now I need more than they can offer and I wait patiently for Apple to deliver. I really, really, really hope that Apple doesn't expect users like myself to just discard or ignore large portions of our music collections just for a few hours of battery life.

zioxide
Aug 21, 2007, 12:34 PM
sweet, put that in a 5G style iPod and i'll buy it.

touchscreen is ****.

P-Worm
Aug 21, 2007, 01:12 PM
sweet, put that in a 5G style iPod and i'll buy it.

touchscreen is ****.

I think you're the first person that doesn't want a full screen iPod. Where are you coming from?

As for me, I really want an iPod made to play video. I want a lot of space to hold a lot of ripped DVD's or shows I have saved off eyeTV. I would also love for the iPod to have a few Palm type applications like notes and a planner. I need a new electronic planner and I haven't been impressed by what is out there right now.

Last of all, I could really care less if it had Wi-Fi or not. Internet on the go is neat, but for me it really isn't all that useful or practical. I say keep that just for the iPhone so the products serve different markets.

P-Worm

Squonk
Aug 21, 2007, 01:15 PM
I would also love for the iPod to have a few Palm type applications like notes and a planner. I need a new electronic planner and I haven't been impressed by what is out there right now.

Yes, that would be most excellent. A fully usable calendar program that syncs back to iCal - that would be great!

Dumb question, does that iPhone have such a capability with iCal?

nemaslov
Aug 21, 2007, 01:24 PM
the next iPod will be 120GB and then they will make a minor update to that in january and clock it up to 160GB which is what we are seeing now. i am so sick of the current iPod's...THEY SUCK!! hurry up apple!!!

i LOVE the current iPod but for me i use it for what it was originally intended. MUSIC ONLY!. The current form factor is fine for me just a bigger hard drive is needed for my music. But yes if they do the iPhone look, that would be cool but not skimpy or flash memory.

nemaslov
Aug 21, 2007, 01:27 PM

Boring? It is a friggen music player and it should be about the beauty of taking your music, and lots of it. with you anywhere. The iPhone is for communication. Go buy an iPhone and hold all five of your albums on it. ;)

knelto
Aug 21, 2007, 01:29 PM
I'm not fully buying the argument that the 6G iPod will be like the iPhone minus the phone, and that Apple can release it now because the iPhone has been out a few months -- Why would Apple only be concerned about the effect on iPhone sales in the US? the iPhone is not out on the rest of the world, and if they want to hit the magic numbers (and I'm sure they will) they need to make sure that there will no be canibalisation on the rest of the world...

The iPhone may not be PHYSICALLY released in the other countries, but they have seen and know what it can do, which is the point. If they released the 6G touchscreen iPod last year, sure the world could use it, but what's to stop someone from trying to mimic the smooth scrolling interface and put it into, I don't know, a cell phone? In releasing the iPhone FIRST, they established a new product and a new direction (at least I think so).

Basically what I think it boils down to is that Apple knows what it's doing. I think they did purposefully held off a major iPod revision last year to build anticipation for what's to come.

About cannibalization, I don't think it will be much if anything. The people that want the phone/internet will get it. Those that want a media player will get it.

nemaslov
Aug 21, 2007, 01:31 PM

NO!

I bring music to my office, business travel, vacations. I want 120GB or more. Many people use iPods not while walking but as their jukebox. The small flash ones are great for walking running and for on the move people. There are two customers here. I am one that wants to have all 25,000 songs with me where ever I am.

corywoolf
Aug 21, 2007, 01:35 PM

There is already a 160 GB portable player (http://www.archos.com/products/video/video_generation4.html?country=global&lang=en). It probably uses a 2.5" drive though.

Squonk
Aug 21, 2007, 01:41 PM
I bring music to my office, business travel, vacations. I want 120GB or more. Many people use iPods not while walking but as their jukebox. The small flash ones are great for walking running and for on the move people. There are two customers here. I am one that wants to have all 25,000 songs with me where ever I am.

Right on!!! Which is why Apple has Shuffles & Nano's, for that crowd. And for us music/video/GB whores (sorry I did not mean to offend) there are the full size mini.

I was just thinking, boy it sure would be nice if they brought back FireWire for these 120/160GB iPods. sniff sniff

Consultant
Aug 21, 2007, 01:57 PM
I would also love for the iPod to have a few Palm type applications like notes and a planner. I need a new electronic planner and I haven't been impressed by what is out there right now.
P-Worm

Using Contacts, Calendar Events and To-Do Lists with Your iPod:
http://macs.about.com/od/ipod/a/ipod_pda.htm

ethernet76
Aug 21, 2007, 02:09 PM

Umm.no.

Creative's Zen at the time of the iPod debut was 10 gb. Apple was one of the first companies to implement 1.8" drives in consumer devices.

They have not really been the leader in maximum storage. All companies who want to by these 1.8" drives will not be turned away.

Consultant
Aug 21, 2007, 02:09 PM
There is already a 160 GB portable player. It probably uses a 2.5" drive though.

Yes the Arch0s does use 2.5" drive, which results in a pretty bloated player. Arch0s dimensions are 5.1 x 3.1 x 0.9, so its volume is actually over 2.6 times the iPod 80GB.

quoting CNET
"The Arch0s 504 is bulky; must purchase separate kit to record audio/video; must purchase separate kit to get a power adapter; weak bundled accessories; proprietary USB cable; no kickstand; not easy to operate blindly."

ethernet76
Aug 21, 2007, 02:13 PM
Right on!!! Which is why Apple has Shuffles & Nano's, for that crowd. And for us music/video/GB whores (sorry I did not mean to offend) there are the full size mini.

I was just thinking, boy it sure would be nice if they brought back FireWire for these 120/160GB iPods. sniff sniff

If more PC manufactures included 6-pin firewire ports I think they'd bring it back. However, including a chip to negotiate firewire traffic adds to the overall cost of the device.

It's a nice feature, but a feature five percent of the market would make use of. Obviously from Apple's standpoint it should have been removed a long time ago.

Squonk
Aug 21, 2007, 02:43 PM
If more PC manufactures included 6-pin firewire ports I think they'd bring it back. However, including a chip to negotiate firewire traffic adds to the overall cost of the device.

It's a nice feature, but a feature five percent of the market would make use of. Obviously from Apple's standpoint it should have been removed a long time ago.

Yeah, I forgot about the fact that FireWire is not on most PC hardware. My HP at home has it, so I figure everyone should... Heck, my white-box at work has FW too. Anyway...

If I recall correctly, Apple dropped FW on the 5G's for the reason of cost of another chip as well as the size of the chip.

Edit: I miss the FW.

penguy
Aug 21, 2007, 02:53 PM
Or perhaps because you've never had yours fail, you're applying that as fact to the 99,999,999 other user's experience. I for one am very paranoid about the HDD, as I've had 4 ipod harddrives break. I bought an ipod a few summers ago and since then had to ship it off 3 times. Apple now has to transfer me to higher-up managers to approve my replacements because it of how it looks having that many replaced. However, I take very good care of all my equipment. I don't throw them around, etc. My wife's 4G also just had the harddrive die.

Now i'm in the camp that is fine with more limited sizes of flash storage and learning to switch out my media. If more people let go of the phobia of not having ALL there media, ALL the time, and tried rotating stuff out as it had been used, I think a lot of people would be surprised by how the practice doesn't live up to their fears.

I'm just curious, but do you feel that your experience with 4 HDD failures is typical? I personally have had 4 HDD iPods, (one 3G, and 3 mini's) and have not had any fail, the 3g is still used daily, albeit for shorter periods since the battery life is so poor. I can certainly see why you feel the way you do, but I don't believe your experience would represent anything close to what the typical iPod user has experienced over the last 6 years

gugy
Aug 21, 2007, 03:01 PM
I have an iPod 1g and still going strong.

Consultant
Aug 21, 2007, 03:01 PM
Boring? It is a friggen music player and it should be about the beauty of taking your music, and lots of it. with you anywhere. The iPhone is for communication. Go buy an iPhone and hold all five of your albums on it. ;)

iPhone holds over 750 songs (avg 4 minute) at 128-Kbps AAC format for the 4gb iPhone. Which is more like 40 to 80 albums. the 8GB iPhone holds over twice as much.

Not exactly five albums, unless your albums consists of 150 songs each.

rstansby
Aug 21, 2007, 03:03 PM

Not in a million years. There is no question that the next iPod will have more than 80GB capacity. Consumers always want more. 16GB and 32GB nano maybe.

MarkCollette
Aug 21, 2007, 03:14 PM
This is slightly off-topic, but I was wondering if people know if the existing iPod Nano can play video? The Macrumors guide doesn't mention it.

Also, from what generation on does the full sized iPod play video?

I'm trying to decide if I should wait for the next gen one, or just get an existing iPod.

P-Worm
Aug 21, 2007, 03:15 PM
Using Contacts, Calendar Events and To-Do Lists with Your iPod:
http://macs.about.com/od/ipod/a/ipod_pda.htm

That doesn't really cut it because the iPods as they stand now won't allow you to make contacts or update your calendar while you're out and about.

P-Worm

gugy
Aug 21, 2007, 03:17 PM
There is a great article by Christopher Breen about iPod 6g and iPhone at Maccentral's playlistmag.com:

http://playlistmag.com/weblogs/ipodblog/2007/08/6gipoduselose/index.php

enjoy it!

I agree with him. Apple needs to differentiate the iPod and the iPhone and the way to do that is not providing wi-fi unfortunately.

P-Worm
Aug 21, 2007, 03:18 PM
This is slightly off-topic, but I was wondering if people know if the existing iPod Nano can play video? The Macrumors guide doesn't mention it.

Also, from what generation on does the full sized iPod play video?

I'm trying to decide if I should wait for the next gen one, or just get an existing iPod.

The Nano's will not. The only ones that do are the ones that came out after the iPod Photo. The generation is a little screwy in this regard because the iPod Photo was 5G and then a little bit later the video ones came out. Some call it 5.5G.

P-Worm

Aug 21, 2007, 03:25 PM
The Nano's will not. The only ones that do are the ones that came out after the iPod Photo. The generation is a little screwy in this regard because the iPod Photo was 5G and then a little bit later the video ones came out. Some call it 5.5G.

P-Worm

The iPod photo was still 4th gen. 5.5G was a minor update to the 5th gen ipod - longer battery life, slightly bigger capacity, brighter screen & search function.

corywoolf
Aug 21, 2007, 03:38 PM

They would sell far more iPods then iPhones. The iPhone is locked to a single carrier in each country, the iPod isn't. Not everyone is going to pay over a grand to get out of their cell phone contracts with other companies and pay for the phone and data plan. I doubt the iPhone will do better then the iPod internationally. If they are so worried about cannibalization, they will just release another 5th gen. iPod with bigger hard drives until they can get the international folks money too.

corywoolf
Aug 21, 2007, 03:42 PM
The iPod photo was still 4th gen. 5.5G was a minor update to the 5th gen ipod - longer battery life, slightly bigger capacity, brighter screen & search function.

There was really three different sub gens for the fourth gen. Grayscale to Photo to just Color iPod (Grayscale discontinued, Photo dropped from name).

nemaslov
Aug 21, 2007, 03:47 PM
iPhone holds over 750 songs (avg 4 minute) at 128-Kbps AAC format for the 4gb iPhone. Which is more like 40 to 80 albums. the 8GB iPhone holds over twice as much.

Not exactly five albums, unless your albums consists of 150 songs each.

I was being snarky!:D

zioxide
Aug 21, 2007, 03:52 PM
I think you're the first person that doesn't want a full screen iPod. Where are you coming from?

As for me, I really want an iPod made to play video. I want a lot of space to hold a lot of ripped DVD's or shows I have saved off eyeTV. I would also love for the iPod to have a few Palm type applications like notes and a planner. I need a new electronic planner and I haven't been impressed by what is out there right now.

Last of all, I could really care less if it had Wi-Fi or not. Internet on the go is neat, but for me it really isn't all that useful or practical. I say keep that just for the iPhone so the products serve different markets.

P-Worm

I've seen other people around here who don't want a full screen iPhone thingy.

All I want is a music player. The 5G iPod is great at this. I don't have to look at the screen to operate it (like the iPhone) when I want to do a simple thing like adjust volume, skip tracks, etc. With touchscreen, you'd always have to look at it and it would be more of a pain.

Additionally, the current iPods get only like 3 hours of video playback on the battery (if that much). That is completely useless. My iBook gets more than that, and it has a 12'' screen instead of a 3'' screen. If I want to watch a video, I'll use my laptop.

I just want enough room on my iPod to be able to store all of my music. Right now I have about 4 gigs free on my 60GB iPod, but I don't want to replace it with a 80GB because that will fill up too quick. If they give an option for 120 or 160GB, I'll buy it because it should last me a good while (until flash in that sizes is economically feasible).

The click wheel is a very easy to use and intuitive interface and should remain in the iPod. There's no reason they can't update it to have an OS X based OS with some more GUI enhancements and Coverflow while sticking with the current form factor. This is what I want.

DoFoT9
Aug 21, 2007, 03:52 PM
i think that the nano's will be the ones having the flash 16gb/32gb memory. the ipod 6th gen will have the 100gb/120gb HDD. that would be the safe way for apple to do it me thinks.

corywoolf
Aug 21, 2007, 03:56 PM
i think that the nano's will be the ones having the flash 16gb/32gb memory. the ipod 6th gen will have the 100gb/120gb HDD. that would be the safe way for apple to do it me thinks.

No way a nano is getting a 32 GB drive this year. 16 GB is tops.

Consultant
Aug 21, 2007, 04:07 PM
I've seen other people around here who don't want a full screen iPhone thingy.

All I want is a music player. The 5G iPod is great at this. I don't have to look at the screen to operate it (like the iPhone) when I want to do a simple thing like adjust volume, skip tracks, etc. With touchscreen, you'd always have to look at it and it would be more of a pain.

Actually volume is controlled by buttons on the side of the iPhone. Skipping a track can be done via button on the iPhone headset.

DoFoT9
Aug 21, 2007, 04:13 PM
No way a nano is getting a 32 GB drive this year. 16 GB is tops.

32gb might be a little high. and waaaay too costly. but sometime there will be, maybe the next next update?? im looking forweward to it

uraniumwilly
Aug 21, 2007, 04:22 PM
I agree.

I think July was iPhone month.
August is iMac month.
September will be all about iPods and the Beatles. (and Apple TV)
October will be Leopard month (maybe see new laptops)
November & December...

And by all means, never EVER let there be a Logic 8 month. I mean, who cares?:(

kungming2
Aug 21, 2007, 04:40 PM

Those videos are now thought to be the leaked videos for the next gen iPod nano, not the full-size iPod.

Tsurisuto
Aug 21, 2007, 04:59 PM
Why is everyone assuming that this new Hard Drive will be used in an iPod... Maybe Apple will use it in it's upcoming Ultra Portable laptop instead?

bloodycape
Aug 21, 2007, 05:15 PM

This maybe so, but some people actually like to listen to talk radio, news radio and sports radio that is on the FM stations. Something you can't really get from a podcast.

elcid
Aug 21, 2007, 07:56 PM

My iPod is on the blink, so I am waiting for news before I get a new one.

If the new ones have wifi and a browser with a full screen, then hell ya, bring the full screen on.

If the new iPod is a 5g iPod but with a full screen then I will most likely be buying a 5g. I dont think I will be watching videos much (I have a 3g so I am not 100% sure) but I know that 95% of the time I am not looking at my iPod while managing my music. Next, Play, Pause, Previous etc will now have to be looked at if its in my pocket or on my arm while running.

If it has wifi and a browser though I will never get anything done.

zioxide
Aug 21, 2007, 07:59 PM
Actually volume is controlled by buttons on the side of the iPhone. Skipping a track can be done via button on the iPhone headset.

But thats only on the crappy iPhone earbuds. I use headphones that aren't complete crap.

heisetax
Aug 21, 2007, 08:30 PM

Sounds like all you need is an iPod Nano. Some of us have more music, videos, pictures &/or other things that we want to store on an iPod. For some of us 180GB is just a starting point. Currently I use 50 GB just for music. I plan to move all of my old 33's, 45,s & a few 78's to digital & then to my iPod. That would probably fill the 180 GB model & require other storage means for photos & videos.

Some people need more storage than you do. iPod Nano = solid state storage. Regular iPod = hard drive model, at least until solid state drops dramatically in price.

Bill the TaxMan

GoCubsGo
Aug 21, 2007, 09:00 PM

Given technology it'd be fairly affordable, more like iPhone price I would say. They could offer 60, 80, 100, 160 if possible or just 80 & 160.
Interesting though...go Samsung!

heisetax
Aug 21, 2007, 09:08 PM

If my music was illegal I wonder if I'd want to store it on my iPod. I have a lot of old vinyl records & tapes that I plan to start putting on my iPod very shortly. My CD collection comes to 50GB. I know that I have 2-3 times as much of the old 33's, 45's & even some 78's that I will be copying over. This is because some of my collection is over 60 years old. The iPod is not just for the very young. I got mine because my new truck 6 1/2 years ago would not sell me an optional CD player.

Like you I do not expect everyone to have the same wants needs & desires of everyone else.

Bill the TaxMan

Digital Skunk
Aug 21, 2007, 09:39 PM
There is a great article by Christopher Breen about iPod 6g and iPhone at Maccentral's playlistmag.com:

http://playlistmag.com/weblogs/ipodblog/2007/08/6gipoduselose/index.php

enjoy it!

I agree with him. Apple needs to differentiate the iPod and the iPhone and the way to do that is not providing wi-fi unfortunately.

I think it needs to be more than just WiFi. I think the iPod should still remain much the same as it is now, just give us a much larger screen, multi-touch or any UI that doesn't require that ancient click wheel, and much bigger HDD space on the high end and flash on the low end or something.

I think the design of the device should stay pretty much the same, or just not the iPhone, so we can see the real difference between the two. Nix the bluetooth too, I'm not syncing 100GB of info over USB 1.1 speeds, and wireless headphones still suck.

Give me an iPod with a bigger screen, touch-screen UI, and a big fat 160GB HDD for $400 and I will gladly buy it.

Lose:
WiFi
Bluetooth
Camera
Phone
Price
Accelerometer

heisetax
Aug 21, 2007, 09:54 PM

With the way that iTunes works for me, I want my iPod to be as large as my iTunes music file is on my computer. Then when it syncs together I do not lose any files on my iPod. The last time I had my iPod on manual update to add music, the iPod was erased & only the new music that I added that day was left on my iPod. With my 60GB iPod only being USB2, that took a long time to rerecord 50+GB of music.

Maybe I need something else other than iTunes or the iPod. Any ideas what to replace them with? The new iPod+6 with a 2.5" 320GB hard drive?

Bill the TaxMan

DoFoT9
Aug 21, 2007, 10:14 PM
With the way that iTunes works for me, I want my iPod to be as large as my iTunes music file is on my computer. Then when it syncs together I do not lose any files on my iPod. The last time I had my iPod on manual update to add music, the iPod was erased & only the new music that I added that day was left on my iPod. With my 60GB iPod only being USB2, that took a long time to rerecord 50+GB of music.

Maybe I need something else other than iTunes or the iPod. Any ideas what to replace them with? The new iPod+6 with a 2.5" 320GB hard drive?

Bill the TaxMan

:eek: you can get 320gb 2.5'??? or did you mean 3.5'?

JGowan
Aug 22, 2007, 12:14 AM
Creative's Zen at the time of the iPod debut was 10 gb. Apple was one of the first companies to implement 1.8" drives in consumer devices.I totally remember that. Namely, because a friend's mother asked my advice on getting her son a 5GB iPod or this 10GB Zen. As the resident tech guy, I was quite adamant in favor of the iPod despite the extra space that Creative's player provided. She didn't listen. Little Matt hated it because it was so hard to use and never really used it much past the initial week when he showed it off -- "It holds 10GB!" was his mantra.

Just goes to show, simply having "more space" isn't a big deal. What's the rub is ease of use AND lots of space. Here's hoping to 120GB and 160GB offerings from Apple in the near future. I'm buying one and heading straight over Matthew's house! :cool:

Black Belt
Aug 22, 2007, 01:12 AM
Why would they make a larger iPod with a widescreen if the iPhone is out? BECAUSE THEY'LL SELL 20 Times as many iPods as they ever sell iPhones. Duh!

diamond.g
Aug 22, 2007, 05:18 AM
I don't think the new iPod should have a touchscreen. I kinda dislike having to look at my iPhone to do anything with it. With the click wheel you can operate the iPod without looking. Don't get me wrong multitouch is cool. But multitouch is a look at me tech. What do you guys think?

Squonk
Aug 22, 2007, 08:35 AM
When :apple: does release a higher capacity drives, I hope they bump up the hard drive size in the standard configurations of their computers. When I go to buy my MBP, a 160GB drive is not going to cut it if my iPod also has a 160GB. Yeah, I know I can make a customer config, but I really just want to buy a refurb...

trackball
Aug 22, 2007, 09:38 AM
If people are so keen on having a large HD in their iPod, then crack that baby open and put one in. I plan to do that with my 4G Photo when the money becomes available.

gkhaldi
Aug 22, 2007, 01:26 PM
:eek: you can get 320gb 2.5'??? or did you mean 3.5'?

I've seen 250 GB 2,5" drives and saw a proto for a 640 GB 2,5" but that's still out at least a year or so.

gkhaldi
Aug 22, 2007, 01:26 PM
If people are so keen on having a large HD in their iPod, then crack that baby open and put one in. I plan to do that with my 4G Photo when the money becomes available.

Anyone has a instruction manual to do this? I'd like to try it

Black Belt
Aug 22, 2007, 02:16 PM
I've seen 250 GB 2,5" drives and saw a proto for a 640 GB 2,5" but that's still out at least a year or so.

Now that would be an iPod! TerraPod here we come!

j05h
Aug 22, 2007, 10:48 PM

Nobody is perfect. People drop all kinds of things including iPod. Heck, Ive dropped my iPod a few times. And guess what, they still work perfectly. iPod: sold over 100 Million. Complaint about iPod being damaged due to its storage medium is non-existent except for the people who never owned one.

Out of the 6 iPod's my family has owned, the HD has died in 2 of them.

DoFoT9
Aug 22, 2007, 11:35 PM

Now that would be an iPod! TerraPod here we come!

WOW :eek::eek: that is amazing. now why is it that 3.5' cost that extremely much and we can only get 1tb harddrives?? i want my 4tb now!!!!

Monsterkid198
Aug 26, 2007, 03:12 PM
all i have to say is samsong compared to apple is like a cubed steak (apple products) to a mcdonalds happy meal (samsong)

diamond.g
Aug 26, 2007, 03:21 PM
all i have to say is samsong compared to apple is like a cubed steak (apple products) to a mcdonalds happy meal (samsong)

huh??? How are you comparing the two?

Wayfarer
Aug 26, 2007, 03:23 PM
Wow, I wonder what Samsung will think of next. :rolleyes:

netdog
Aug 26, 2007, 03:36 PM
Sorry to burst your bubble guys, but hard drives are old school and Apple knows it.

While you do have a point, calling something 'old school' is kind of old school, don'tcha think?

Sorry, but someone had to say it.

netdog
Aug 26, 2007, 03:38 PM
WOW :eek::eek: that is amazing. now why is it that 3.5' cost that extremely much and we can only get 1tb harddrives?? i want my 4tb now!!!!

Because a three and a half foot drive is BIG!!!