PDA

View Full Version : iPod Touch Details?

Pages : [1] 2

MacRumors
Aug 23, 2007, 09:28 AM
http://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com)

9to5mac claims (http://9to5mac.com/ipod-touch-345206948) to have knowledge of the upcoming full-size iPod which they are refering to as the "iPod Touch".

According to the site, the OS X based iPod will share a similar look to the current iPhone, complete with "home" button and a 480x320 pixel screen. Compared to the iPhone, the outer ridge is said to be black, with a slightly thicker case.

A report (http://www.macrumors.com/2007/08/23/os-x-based-ipods-at-media-event-in-september/) from earlier today from Appleinsider does expect up to 4 new iPod models to be introduced in September.

Article Link (http://www.macrumors.com/2007/08/23/ipod-touch-details/)

northwesternmac
Aug 23, 2007, 09:31 AM
Well it will be very interesting to see what Apple does! But I won't buy any of the new iPods, because i have that iPhone thing....

Nepenthe
Aug 23, 2007, 09:33 AM
I would hope that Apple has enough foresight to include at least a couple extra buttons on the thing. Like the Shuffle. I think the ability to use the device without looking at it is an important feature. Yes?

Stridder44
Aug 23, 2007, 09:33 AM
Is that screen size the same as the current iPod? If so = lame.

Luis
Aug 23, 2007, 09:36 AM
http://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com)

According to the site, the OS X based iPod will share a similar look to the current iPod, complete with "home" button and a 480x320 pixel screen. Compared to the iPhone, the outer ridge is said to be black, with a slightly thicker case.

iPhone maybe?

BKF
Aug 23, 2007, 09:37 AM
Similar look to the current iPod, or the current iPhone?

fastbite
Aug 23, 2007, 09:38 AM
Why would be thicker than the iPhone? It would have less 'functions' so I don't understand why.

P.B.
Aug 23, 2007, 09:38 AM
it says "iPhone" on 9to5mac, not "iPod" sized screen.

ghostshadow
Aug 23, 2007, 09:39 AM
I agree, I still like the tactile feeling of the buttons. Especially if I'm "eek" driving. I don't want to look at the iPod when I'm supposed to be concentrating on the road. Trying to fumble with it with both hands etc. I hope they don't get to futuristic that it'll kill the brand.

OldTimey
Aug 23, 2007, 09:40 AM

480x320=resolution of current iPhone. If these new iPods are so = awesome.

P.B.
Aug 23, 2007, 09:40 AM
Why would be thicker than the iPhone? It would have less 'functions' so I don't understand why.

hard drive vs. flash memory?

Evangelion
Aug 23, 2007, 09:41 AM

Propably because it uses hard-drive as opposed to flash

uraniumwilly
Aug 23, 2007, 09:42 AM
If it has the new 160gb hard drive I might just pull out my plastic money and make the quantum leap beyond my Mini iPod.

blad3z
Aug 23, 2007, 09:42 AM
they probably will have tactile keys..im sure steve saw this ahead of time that touch and tactile would go well..i mean when ur sittin on the train and u wana watch a movie etc. u knw? u can use the full screen but on thte other edges there will be the tactile buttons..or like the new sony fone..u can shake it left to go to the last track or right to go to the next :P and up and down to stop it...
or steve might do with the gestures and have it so slide ur finger right = next song left=last song u knw?
so many possibilites...steve will come up for somethin for those that dont wana stare at their ipod

AdMan2007
Aug 23, 2007, 09:43 AM
Arn...

Looks like the guys at 9to5mac have some serious sources inside Apple. What's your take on who the leaker could be? Is it likely to be one person or a few? Also, doesn't it worry you a little that these guys have been on fire lately?

boss1
way to kick Zune while they're on the ground bleeding and barely breathing.

Clive At Five
I'm still not convinced 9to5Mac.com is a reliable source. I'm thinking they may have gotten lucky with the iMac... but we'll see.

BTW, I don't necessarily hate the proposed iPod Nano design or the idea of a multi-touch iPod, I'm just skeptical of their reliability.

We'll find out soon enough it sounds...

-Clive

Loge
Now this is more like it, after yesterdays nano news. Shame they didn't post the picture of these instead of the fatPods, but clearly now they've learned a lesson there. Tie it in with the new 160GB drive and we have a worthwhile update.

kyeblue
Aug 23, 2007, 09:44 AM

An iPod needs a 60G or whatever size hard disc, and an iPhone doesn't.

G4R2
I would hope that Apple has enough foresight to include at least a couple extra buttons on the thing. Like the Shuffle. I think the ability to use the device without looking at it is an important feature. Yes?

Apple's approach to that problem, at least for the iPhone, has been to embed some controls on the earbuds. Would be nice to see BT included with stereo headset support.

homeboy
I'm tired of all this talk about buttons and tactile feedback. If you want that you can always buy a used G5.5 or buy the refreshed Nano which will in the near future come with 16GB to satisfy the hungry ones.

1.8 hard drive

boss1
Aug 23, 2007, 09:45 AM
Looks like the guys at 9to5mac have some serious sources inside Apple......

I wonder what they do from 6to8

rockstarjoe
Aug 23, 2007, 09:46 AM
Arn...

Looks like the guys at 9to5mac have some serious sources inside Apple. What's your take on who the leaker could be? Is it likely to be one person or a few? Also, doesn't it worry you a little that these guys have been on fire lately?

They sure have been cranking out the info lately. I bet they will get burned soon. Apple will smoke out the leaker with some false info that will be fed to 9to5mac.

Clive At Five
Aug 23, 2007, 09:46 AM

An HDD for the high-end model, perhaps.

If Apple is really trying to push the iPod as a PMP, it'll need lots of storage. 16 or 32 GB is not going to cut it and a higher-capacity NAND flash-based device is not economically feasible.

-Clive

JCPH
Aug 23, 2007, 09:49 AM
hard drive vs. flash memory?

There seems to be a big move towards flash memory. It'll be interesting to see which way Apple goes. As technology gets smaller, flash memory will grow even more. I'm slightly confused though as to why this thing is going to be bigger...:confused:

rockthecasbah
Aug 23, 2007, 09:51 AM
Today is a great day for Apple rumors! First the supposed Media Event now actual details on the Touch Screen iPod? 9to5Mac seems a bit sketchy, but i think it's pretty hard to mess up Full Screen iPod details, there are really very few possible design changes to make :)

Now if they report some stats like battery life or capacity then maybe i'll trust them a bit more. But with this whole Nano being short and stubby thing I don't know if they can be trusted just yet :p

nemaslov
Aug 23, 2007, 09:52 AM
One should be the big one with 120 or 160GB. There are many of us who have been waiting to graduate to one that fits all of our music.

kuebby
Aug 23, 2007, 09:56 AM
One should be the big one with 120 or 160GB. There are many of us who have been waiting to graduate to one that fits all of our music.

Definitely, but we'll just have to wait and see. As long as we get something I'll be satisfied though.

Porchland
Aug 23, 2007, 09:58 AM

MacRumors, please correct your story. The 9to5mac story says same form factor as iPhone -- not current iPod.

spyderracer393
Aug 23, 2007, 10:01 AM
If it has the new 160gb hard drive I might just pull out my plastic money and make the quantum leap beyond my Mini iPod.

I just might do the exact same. I bought a 2nd gen 10GB iPod when it came out, then a mini the day it was announced, I ordered it. I think it's time for an iPod that fits all of my music...

Proud Liberal
Aug 23, 2007, 10:02 AM
It makes sense - at least to me - that the new 6G iPod will incorporate the form factor of the iPhone, with the new iPod interface & Cover Flow for browsing albums by the artwork. Can't imagine a scenario in which Apple would not incorporate the iPod interface of the iPhone. Only difference would be HDD instead of flash. The one feature that's NOT in the iPhone but is in the 5G iPod & Nano is the ability to shuffle by album. Why this was removed in the iPhone I can't understand. For me, it's the most used feature of my iPod! If it's not in the new 6G, I would seriously think twice about upgrading, even it if did have the 120 or 160GB drives.

Porchland
Aug 23, 2007, 10:03 AM
Assuming no WiFi, what software would an iPod wide run besides iTunes?

I'm not saying I necessarily think the new iPod will have WiFi, but it doesn't make much sense to change to the iPhone OS just to spruce up the interface. Adding WiFi gets you email, Internet, direct purchase from iTunes, etc.

The big question with WiFi looks more like how much Apple wants to encroach on its iPhone than technology or cost.

a456
Aug 23, 2007, 10:04 AM
I'd buy one that looked like this (the camera seems unnecessary though) and th I don't think the retro click-wheel thing is going to happen:

http://www.bolicious.com/misc/6th_iPod_by_Bo.jpg

twoodcc
Aug 23, 2007, 10:07 AM
well this would be nice. it's looking like september will be an exciting month :)

tacojohn
Aug 23, 2007, 10:10 AM
What if apple moved back to the 1" hard drives that were in the iPod mini's? For the new "iPod Touch" models? Allowing for greater storage capacity and cheaper price, but still matching size of smaller flash memory?

I can't imagine them sticking all the stuff that's in the iPhone plus a 1.8" hard drive into the new iPod and being able to get the battery life out of it...

Who knows though...

iShak
Aug 23, 2007, 10:12 AM
Arn...

they probably have guys in China where all these ipods are made, maybe they talk to the workers making those ipods, maybe someone else but I do remember reading something like 'our sources in China tell us that ..."

the name 'iPod Touch' doesn't sound very Apple like, I must admit, though the concept seems pretty plausible, we all know Apple's got touchscreen iPod working inside iPhone (the best feature of iPhone in my opinion) so why not the same but in a different pack? shouldn't be very difficult ...

thomasfxlt
Aug 23, 2007, 10:12 AM
MacRumors, please correct your story. The 9to5mac story says same form factor as iPhone -- not current iPod.

I figured that was a mistake. It makes sense that Apple would lend forward the iPhone design for the hi-end iPod.

Also, relative to the supposed new Nano's; I think if Apple prices those properly, every kid in America will demand one. Put Wifi on it with iChat and "game over" for everyone. Handheld video player, iPod, IM, games....killer. Price it between $100 and $200 and watch out.

Roy Hobbs
Aug 23, 2007, 10:14 AM
There seems to be a big move towards flash memory. It'll be interesting to see which way Apple goes. As technology gets smaller, flash memory will grow even more. I'm slightly confused though as to why this thing is going to be bigger...:confused:

This isn't rocket science, it will be bigger becuase it won't be using flash.

Mgkwho
Aug 23, 2007, 10:14 AM
So I'm guessing the current iPod will be distinguished by the even more high-end "iPod Touch" (horrible name)?

That would be interesting, as it suggests there would be reason/market to keep the current gen form-factor around.

-=|Mgkwho

homeboy
Aug 23, 2007, 10:16 AM
I can't imagine them sticking all the stuff that's in the iPhone plus a 1.8" hard drive into the new iPod and being able to get the battery life out of it...

They can. Although the iPhone doesn't have a hard drive it does have a cell phone antenna which drains battery. The G5.5 80GB already sport 20 hours of battery time. I'm pretty much convinced that the touch screen iPod will offer 24 hours battery time.

yzp
Aug 23, 2007, 10:16 AM
there is the "new product" rumoured :D

however, w/o a WIFI iPod, the big touchscreen is useless in my opinion!

Stridder44
Aug 23, 2007, 10:17 AM

I'm willing to live with a little extra thickness in exchange for like 100+ GB's of storage.

BKKbill
Aug 23, 2007, 10:18 AM
Well this is very interesting and hardly any whiners, squawkers or moaners yet. Probably can't play games. Oh that's another post. Guess I'm checking too soon. Just counting down to October. :)

macintel4me
Aug 23, 2007, 10:19 AM
they probably will have tactile keys..im sure steve saw this ahead of time that touch and tactile would go well..i mean when ur sittin on the train and u wana watch a movie etc. u knw? u can use the full screen but on thte other edges there will be the tactile buttons..or like the new sony fone..u can shake it left to go to the last track or right to go to the next :P and up and down to stop it...
or steve might do with the gestures and have it so slide ur finger right = next song left=last song u knw?
so many possibilites...steve will come up for somethin for those that dont wana stare at their ipod
The iPhone's earbuds have a small push-button thing where the microphone is implanted. You squeeze it once to pause and double-squeeze to forward to the next track. It's pretty useful actually.

yzp
Aug 23, 2007, 10:20 AM
"iPod Touch" (horrible name)?

oh for sure, its almost as aweful as the new laptop lines' name...

Macbook and Macbook pro :s

rbroady
Aug 23, 2007, 10:20 AM
i think this home button can lead to speculation of it having wifi.

Whats the point of a home botton if it just plays music, video, and photos. you cant do two of those at the same time except photos and music but why add the home botton just for that.

wifi adds email, web browsing, ichat would be great...... maybe they didnt include an ichat like feature on the iphone becouse they are saving it for the wifi enabled ipod:)

i am very optomistic:D

Evangelion
Aug 23, 2007, 10:22 AM

Is this english? Seriously?

homeboy
Aug 23, 2007, 10:25 AM

Whats the point of a home botton if it just plays music, video, and photos. you cant do two of those at the same time except photos and music but why add the home botton just for that.

wifi adds email, web browsing, ichat would be great...... maybe they didnt include an ichat like feature on the iphone becouse they are saving it for the wifi enabled ipod:)

There's more than movies, photos and videos on the iPod. There is settings, calender, notes, games and stop watch. Since folk carry their iPods with them everywhere, even into class rooms I could see Apple adding a calculator.

Other than that i can't see Apple adding web browsing to the iPod anytime soon. The biggest use of Wifi in the iPod is to use it as a remote control for iTunes and Macs. I could easily see myself use it as a wireless remote in my home or even stream music/video from a computer to the iPod over Wifi and play it up on a TV/Stereo located in another room.

BKKbill
Aug 23, 2007, 10:25 AM
Is this english? Seriously?

Thinking the same, but just didn't have the heart.

storage
Aug 23, 2007, 10:26 AM
I think they should add something like 512/1024 MB flash memory to the fullscreen iPod. So that when you sync with iTunes it puts the songs you listen to the most on the flash memory, thus saving some battery life.

Even better, you choose yourself what you want on the flash memory.

bdkennedy1
Aug 23, 2007, 10:29 AM
Well, if it's thicker than the iPhone then it must have a 1.8" hard drive in it.

It totally don't see myself finger-banging my iPod, so I'm just going to stick with my click-wheel.

iPoodOverZune
Aug 23, 2007, 10:30 AM

coz it will house a (120GB/160GB, may be) hard disk instead of flash!

Quickdood
Aug 23, 2007, 10:30 AM

The home button will prob be used for games and other applications. I don't see how they could have wifi on it, wifi = FCC approval, which is unlikely to happen before the end of september because the FCC would have leaked details by now.

milo
Aug 23, 2007, 10:34 AM

My guess would be battery or capacity.

network23
Aug 23, 2007, 10:34 AM
I agree, I still like the tactile feeling of the buttons. Especially if I'm "eek" driving. I don't want to look at the iPod when I'm supposed to be concentrating on the road. Trying to fumble with it with both hands etc. I hope they don't get to futuristic that it'll kill the brand.

I think there's your answer right there. No silly circular "clickwheel" type interface on the screen taking up most of the space. No need for tactile buttons. With the gestures, all you need to do is be able to find the screen, then you just do your gesture to skip song, move forward/back, pause/play, whatever. Maybe some little icon that will bring up a display of the gestures available, and maybe a simple control scheme for when you are/can interact with the screen. But that would be the most usable or Apple-like solution.

And I've said it before. No wifi. Apple could have added wifi to the iPod long ago and chose not to. They don't see it as being a necessary feature. No wifi also keeps the valley between the iPod and iPhone sufficiently wide, making it easy to (1) pick one or the other or (2) justify both. In my case I'll buy both. My iPhone for when I don't need or want my entire library of songs, my iPod for trips or when I do want lots of music choice.

iSpud
Aug 23, 2007, 10:35 AM
Are you sure it needs wifi approval? That would mean the new Alu iMacs should have been leaked. I think you are confusing Wi-Fi with cell phone tech.

RichyHo
Aug 23, 2007, 10:35 AM
I reckon glass front, black border, alumin(i)um edge and black back - just like new iMac. Would look nice IMHO.

homeboy
Aug 23, 2007, 10:37 AM
I reckon glass front, black border, alumin(i)um edge and black back - just like new iMac. Would look nice IMHO.

Alu edge seem most likely in order to protect the screen in case of a call. I wonder where this leave the good old white!!!!

plumbingandtech
Aug 23, 2007, 10:39 AM
Well, if it's thicker than the iPhone then it must have a 1.8" hard drive in it.

It totally don't see myself finger-banging my iPod, so I'm just going to stick with my click-wheel.

Or not.

For all we know the innards of this model (osx) is "bigger" (forcing the extra thickness and using flash) then the innards of the pixo models.

Time will tell.

Wayfarer
Aug 23, 2007, 10:39 AM
Anyone else getting fed up with all these recent oubursts of claims made by 9to5mac? :mad:

milo
Aug 23, 2007, 10:40 AM

According to the article, there will be one or more touchscreen models, but still clickwheel models available. If you want "tactile" it just means you want one of the other models.

drugs!
Aug 23, 2007, 10:44 AM
you guys are seriously delusional if you think the ipod will have wifi

milo
Aug 23, 2007, 10:46 AM
Anyone else getting fed up with all these recent claims made by 9to5mac? :mad:

No. Although we'll be able to judge the rumors better once we know if they're true or false.

They're certainly going out on a limb. Once the real deal is announced their credibility will either be zero or extremely high.

kugino
Aug 23, 2007, 10:47 AM

i want to say "no" on the glass screen and aluminum b/c of price, but with the big deal steve made about glass/aluminum during the imac unveiling, i think glass/aluminum is a strong possibility.

macintel4me
Here it is, IMO....

iPod Shuffle ($50 - $100, buttons, Flash) = Music Player + Very Limited Capacity

iPod Nano ($150-$200, click-wheel, Flash) = Music Player + Limited Video Player + Limited Capacity

iPod Touch ($200-$250, multitouch-screen, Flash) = Music Player + Video Player + Limited Capacity

iPod Video ($250-$350, multitouch-screen, HDD) = Music Player + Video Player + Large Capacity

~Shard~
Anyone else getting fed up with all these recent oubursts of claims made by 9to5mac? :mad:

Since they were right about the new iMacs, not really... :p New rumors are always welcome - in case you haven't noticed, it's what we like to discuss here. :cool:

i0Nic
Aug 23, 2007, 10:49 AM

No... finally we're getting some good rumours. Time will tell if they are accurate. They were right about the imacs but that could have been a good educated guess.

lazyrighteye
Aug 23, 2007, 10:50 AM

European 3G iPhone?

rbroady
Aug 23, 2007, 10:51 AM
if no wifi

then what about bluetooth

bluetooth headphones would be awesome with an ipod

RichyHo
Aug 23, 2007, 10:53 AM
... with the big deal steve made about glass/aluminum during the imac unveiling, i think glass/aluminum is a strong possibility.

My thoughts exactly. Although does glass work from a touchy-touchy point of view? Is the iPhone's screen glass?

johnee
Aug 23, 2007, 10:53 AM
Since they were right about the new iMacs, not really... :p New rumors are always welcome - in case you haven't noticed, it's what we like to discuss here. :cool:

yeah, it gets so boring around here when there's only news, it forces many of us to current events or community discussions which makes us go through the 4 Stages Of Rumor Withdrawal -> :confused: :( :eek: :mad:

koobcamuk
Aug 23, 2007, 10:54 AM
No... finally we're getting some good rumours. Time will tell if they are accurate. They were right about the imacs but that could have been a good educated guess.

I agree. A rumor is nice.

Harping on about the iPhone all the time is boring. Often there can be truth to these, which makes it more interesting. I remember how many people claimed the keyboard I am now typing on was a fake...

i0Nic
Aug 23, 2007, 10:56 AM
My thoughts exactly. Although does glass work from a touchy-touchy point of view? Is the iPhone's screen glass?

Yup

zedsdead
Aug 23, 2007, 10:57 AM

They clearly ticked off apple legal didnt they? I have the feeling that they are dead on accurate...

The only real question is whether or not Apple will limit the capacity by implimenting flash memory.

johnee
Aug 23, 2007, 10:58 AM
if no wifi

then what about bluetooth

bluetooth headphones would be awesome with an ipod

good question.... I believe apple will try to leverage many low cost features they mastered in the iphoney to put into ipods. wifi, not a chance. BT, maybe.

vandlism
Aug 23, 2007, 10:59 AM
I don't see how people are actually opposing Wi-Fi on the iPod. Wi-Fi does not necessarily equal Safari, Mail and iChat. Wi-Fi is a networking enabler. I'd definitely appreciate the ability to share my iPod library via Bonjour. Streaming the music between iPods would be like the Zune's music transfer, but you wouldn't need to deal with DRM. If battery life becomes a concern, maybe they'll have a flash drive in addition to act as a buffer. Not to mention that YouTube is popping up on the AppleTV and iPhone, and it acts as a great way to view movies shared and uploaded by friends.

Finally the true use of Wi-Fi could be iTS purchases and rentals. iTunes already supports syncing purchased content back to iTunes from the iPod, so there are no hurdles there. Additionally, with the advent of DRM free music stores and upcoming competing products (2nd gen. Zune - whose real lacking feature was Wi-Fi that only shared via DRM), Apple may be ready to just spearhead the market and beat any competition.

Think of Wi-Fi as the ability to share and find music over a network, not your typical web browsing stuff.

Also, I wouldn't mind a last.fm plug-in. Just sayin'.

drugs!
Aug 23, 2007, 11:00 AM
IMO it will probably will have tv screens that pop out the side so you can watch tv and scroll through your music at the same time, i also heard they were teaming up with visa and that its gonna double as a credit card since it will be so thin

bananas
Aug 23, 2007, 11:00 AM
maybe something like this?

drugs!
Aug 23, 2007, 11:03 AM
I don't see how people are actually opposing Wi-Fi on the iPod. Wi-Fi does not necessarily equal Safari, Mail and iChat. Wi-Fi is a networking enabler. I'd definitely appreciate the ability to share my iPod library via Bonjour. Streaming the music between iPods would be like the Zune's music transfer, but you wouldn't need to deal with DRM. If battery life becomes a concern, maybe they'll have a flash drive in addition to act as a buffer. Not to mention that YouTube is popping up on the AppleTV and iPhone, and it acts as a great way to view movies shared and uploaded by friends.

Finally the true use of Wi-Fi could be iTS purchases and rentals. iTunes already supports syncing purchased content back to iTunes from the iPod, so there are no hurdles there. Additionally, with the advent of DRM free music stores and upcoming competing products (2nd gen. Zune - whose real lacking feature was Wi-Fi that only shared via DRM), Apple may be ready to just spearhead the market and beat any competition.

Think of Wi-Fi as the ability to share and find music over a network, not your typical web browsing stuff.

finally a realistic assumption.... so i will rephrase my statement:

you are completely delusional if you think the rumored wifi will be for web browsing

zedsdead
Aug 23, 2007, 11:04 AM

not bad at all...but I am thinking the home button may just be on the side and th unit may be all screen...also the lack of a button on the front leaves the room for powerful stereo speakers.

Wayfarer
Aug 23, 2007, 11:08 AM

Well yeah, of course we love to read and discuss rumors here. I just strongly suspect the recent purported images of the new iPod nano have been fake and misleading. I don't like the fact they have evoked negative reactions as many people think they are real.

I still think 9to5mac is full of BS. :)

lord patton
Aug 23, 2007, 11:09 AM
Also, relative to the supposed new Nano's; I think if Apple prices those properly, every kid in America will demand one. Put Wifi on it with iChat and "game over" for everyone. Handheld video player, iPod, IM, games....killer. Price it between $100 and $200 and watch out.

Close. You're thinking of the iPhone nano :D

Seriously: Touchscreen, camera, multitouch photobrowsing, IM, text, some widgets, and oh yeah an iPod. Price this at $200-$300 with a modest $5 data fee (no web-browsing so it should be unlimited texts) and it will sell a ton.

YouTube would depend on WiFi, which would depend on cost and size constraints.

But back to the iPod touch, sounds right. Bring it on.

BKKbill
Aug 23, 2007, 11:11 AM

Now this is nice especially with all the reflections very Applie.

drugs!
Aug 23, 2007, 11:11 AM
my braaaaaiiions

jialuolu
Aug 23, 2007, 11:12 AM
I hope the new iPod won't have the iPhone's chrome rim. I always thought that a plastic/glass edge looked way better

destroyboredom
Aug 23, 2007, 11:13 AM
I was thinking along these lines as well. I think wifi is almost a must. It will provide youtube access. It would also provide for web enabled widgets, check stocks, weather, etc...

Aug 23, 2007, 11:15 AM
idk if you all have seen the vid for the new (possible) vid intf but idk if i'm liking it that much : / I was looking forward to wi-fi and iPhone like features in the next gen iPod...heres the link (http://macdailynews.com/index.php/weblog/comments/14670/)

hmm thoughts ppl?

pocketrockets
Aug 23, 2007, 11:19 AM
If the display is 480x320, will that be able to play video compressed at 640x480, like the iphone?

Taylor C
Aug 23, 2007, 11:20 AM
I highly doubt that these new ipods will be completely touch based. The current click wheel is such an essential part of iPods ease-of-use, partly because of how it simulates tactile feedback through the UI.

I definitely think apple is moving away from the current UI, but I doubt this new product, whatever it is, will completely do away with tactile controls, but I could be wrong. Remember, jobs said "OS X based", so I think we'll see a new touch-centric UI but the external buttons on say... The iPhone will be replaced with media controls.

Whatever this new design is, i believe itll be the biggest ipod revamp sonce the product's original introduction in 2001.

RealMcCoy
Aug 23, 2007, 11:20 AM

Did I miss something .... ? An iPod with 1 TerraByte ? Sounds good ... almost all of my music would fit on it ;o)

jjneff
Aug 23, 2007, 11:24 AM
WiFi or I Cry!!! I want full web browser, I need to check some sites when I am away on vacation for my business, this is much better than carrying a laptop! e-mail would be awsome as well. Why in the world would people not want wifi???

EagerDragon
Aug 23, 2007, 11:26 AM

Just a guess, but maybe replacesable battery?

vandlism
Aug 23, 2007, 11:33 AM
WiFi or I Cry!!! I want full web browser, I need to check some sites when I am away on vacation for my business, this is much better than carrying a laptop! e-mail would be awsome as well. Why in the world would people not want wifi???

iPhone much?

whatever
Aug 23, 2007, 11:42 AM
I gotta say, after living with my iPod Shuffle G2 since Christmas and dropping it on the garage floor a number of times (even kicking it across the floor once) I have to say that it would take a lot for me to switch to an HD based iPod.

Using my 40GB iPod is painful. From the spinup of the drive and the overall noise of the drive, God how did I ever live with that.

A 16GB or 32GB Flash based iPod would be awesome.

Since the Flash drive is so small, couldn't they daisychain several of them in the same space of an 1.8 drive?

tekcor
Aug 23, 2007, 11:44 AM
Did I miss something .... ? An iPod with 1 TerraByte ? Sounds good ... almost all of my music would fit on it ;o)

Um... a Terabyte is (roughly) 1,000 GB. Being that 160 < 1,000 - it's not a TB.

zedsdead
Aug 23, 2007, 11:47 AM
If the display is 480x320, will that be able to play video compressed at 640x480, like the iphone?

Yes, the next iPod will play 640x480...definatly....really hope it can play back HD files scaled down...that would be nice.

buedrow
Aug 23, 2007, 11:47 AM
They clearly ticked off apple legal didnt they? I have the feeling that they are dead on accurate...

The only real question is whether or not Apple will limit the capacity by implimenting flash memory.

If I wanted to create some serious buzz (and advertising revenue) for a rumors site, I would post a picture of a PSD document and then, soon after, take it down, claiming Apple Legal "called" me and requested I do so. It would no doubt flood my website with hits.

Quickdood
Aug 23, 2007, 11:50 AM

Of course people want Wifi, the thing is apple doesn't always give people what they want right away. Wifi will prob be in the 7G ipod, apple usually takes baby steps and a step up to a multi-touch widescreen is large enough for them now. Also as many have said they want the difference between the iphone and the ipod to be large enough so one will consider owning both.

vandlism
Aug 23, 2007, 11:51 AM
If I wanted to create some serious buzz (and advertising revenue) for a rumors site, I would post a picture of a PSD document and then, soon after, take it down, claiming Apple Legal "called" me and requested I do so. It would no doubt flood my website with hits.

And then would you convince the other tech blogs that you are in fact Apple legal and have them remove the pictures too?

Quickdood
Aug 23, 2007, 11:51 AM

The fact that gizmodo also got asked to take down their images and macrumors only has a link to engadget now makes me believe that apple legal really did get involved

pocketrockets
Aug 23, 2007, 11:52 AM
Yes, the next iPod will play 640x480...definatly....really hope it can play back HD files scaled down...that would be nice.

Then I'm excited!!! :D

I just compressed my movies and DVDs last month. It takes forever!

~Shard~
Aug 23, 2007, 11:54 AM
Well yeah, of course we love to read and discuss rumors here. I just strongly suspect the recent purported images of the new iPod nano have been fake and misleading. I don't like the fact they have evoked negative reactions as many people think they are real.

I still think 9to5mac is full of BS. :)

I know where you're coming from, and they could very well be - guess we'll know in a few weeks... ;)

buedrow
Aug 23, 2007, 11:55 AM
The fact that gizmodo also got asked to take down their images and macrumors only has a link to engadget now makes me believe that apple legal really did get involved

hmm didn't know about Giz. That almost convinces me too, but I still don't know about 9to5mac -- I guess we'll find out soon enough though

Taylor C
Aug 23, 2007, 11:56 AM
Fact: the iPod is a media player, not an Internet communications device. That's the whole point behind iPhone. Apple isn't going to make this new iPod an iPhone minus the phone.

Yateball
Aug 23, 2007, 11:59 AM
Fact: the iPod is a media player, not an Internet communications device. That's the whole point behind iPhone. Apple isn't going to make this new iPod an iPhone minus the phone.

What about some kind of YouTube ONLY integration??
Wi-fi enabled but they limit it to only something like youtube which is still only for media files........

possible?

Cloudsurfer
Aug 23, 2007, 12:01 PM
Haha, I'm going to bookmark this 9to5mac site. I love how they're always so sure about their case, and be pretty arrogant about it.. in a funny way :D They sure as hell would make good lawyers :p

Kazak
Aug 23, 2007, 12:03 PM
It would make sense seeing as they are dishing out loads of free ipod's with their back to school deal. I think I will stick with the FREE Ipod nano rather than the trendy new addition.

Taylor C
Aug 23, 2007, 12:07 PM
@yateball: Wow,YouTube totally slipped my mind. I can definitely see a youtube client being included.

jfmartin
Aug 23, 2007, 12:07 PM
Have a look at the official fall 2007 line up of the Apple iPods.... this make sense !

The Toon Master
Aug 23, 2007, 12:09 PM
If the new iPod has WiFi/Internet(Which it won't) I'll be skiping school and walk a mile to the city to buy one of em..

Yateball
Aug 23, 2007, 12:11 PM
@yateball: Wow,YouTube totally slipped my mind. I can definitely see a youtube client being included.

The more I think about the more I say yah Apple would totally do that... and it would actually rock

notjustjay
Aug 23, 2007, 12:13 PM
Think we'll be able to "squirt" songs to one another?

Incidentally, I was in the States a few weekends ago and shopped at Wal-Mart and Radio Shack. Both had Zunes and accessories. Both were on clearance blow-out prices. I take it the Zune ain't selling so hot?

Marlon_JBT
Aug 23, 2007, 12:14 PM
iPod touch?

I'm sure Creative is already calling lawyers preparing for a lawsuit.

Yateball
Aug 23, 2007, 12:15 PM
Think we'll be able to "squirt" songs to one another?

Incidentally, I was in the States a few weekends ago and shopped at Wal-Mart and Radio Shack. Both had Zunes and accessories. Both were on clearance blow-out prices. I take it the Zune ain't selling so hot?

Although the "idea" for the "squirting" (LOL) is great, I dunno if apple would do that or not because it's so obviously a Zune copy... could happen too tho

I know I'd likely never use that feature tho

sam10685
Aug 23, 2007, 12:17 PM

All of our music, video's, movies and pictures. If it's the physical thickness of the 80 gig ipod is today that's ok. just make the storage space big!:)

kuebby
Aug 23, 2007, 12:18 PM
Have a look at the official fall 2007 line up of the Apple iPods.... this make sense !

That's my dream. The only thing I would change is that on the full size iPods I doubt the 2 models would be 30 and 100 GB. I think the smart money is probably on 60 and 120. But you could be right.

I also really like the idea of reintroducing the Mini as a larger capacity and movie-playing Nano.

homeboy
Aug 23, 2007, 12:19 PM

Overall a very good and plausible line up except for a few minor details. The iPod Mini is a great product. Perfect bridge between the iPod touch and the Nano.

I hope that the iPod touch can play Divx and Xvid files just like Creative M Vision which can play 800MB divix files without any necessary conversion. That is very handy and great for us with lots of downloaded movies on our computers.

nemaslov
Aug 23, 2007, 12:23 PM
I gotta say, after living with my iPod Shuffle G2 since Christmas and dropping it on the garage floor a number of times (even kicking it across the floor once) I have to say that it would take a lot for me to switch to an HD based iPod.

Using my 40GB iPod is painful. From the spinup of the drive and the overall noise of the drive, God how did I ever live with that.

A 16GB or 32GB Flash based iPod would be awesome.

Since the Flash drive is so small, couldn't they daisychain several of them in the same space of an 1.8 drive?

That's why many have flash pods and why they sell more. But there are many like myself who use an iPod not for walking, running, commuting but as a jukebox in their studio, office, house, workspace and hotel room. I take mine to my studio and it is hooked into a stereo . It is full with about 20,000 songs and I have almost 30,000 on my Macs backup hard drive so I would love more space and don't have to worry about it banging around.

Project
Aug 23, 2007, 12:40 PM

That looks kinda sick. I would prefer all black over the current light behind of the iPhone

NewSc2
Aug 23, 2007, 12:41 PM
Overall a very good and plausible line up except for a few minor details. The iPod Mini is a great product. Perfect bridge between the iPod touch and the Nano.

I hope that the iPod touch can play Divx and Xvid files just like Creative M Vision which can play 800MB divix files without any necessary conversion. That is very handy and great for us with lots of downloaded movies on our computers.

Won't happen. You'd have to convert them to mp4 or m4a or whatever format the current iPod Video, Apple TV, and iPhone use.

homeboy
Aug 23, 2007, 12:46 PM
Won't happen. You'd have to convert them to mp4 or m4a or whatever format the current iPod Video, Apple TV, and iPhone use.

I was just being a pit optimistic I know that Apple love control and wants to make the quick time format bigger than what it is today.

sthpark7791
Aug 23, 2007, 12:49 PM
Just made this. Hopefully these details are true because they sound sweet!

http://sixpop.com/images/file/21303291.jpg

CWallace
Aug 23, 2007, 12:53 PM
Assuming that the form factor is the same as the iPhone, might Apple be leveraging the case and LCD of the iPhone in the "iPod Touch"?

That would offer a few benefits:

Keeps cost lower since you use the same case and screen - just the electronics are different.
Allows folks making 480x320 content for the iPhone to run the same content unmodified on the iPod Touch.
Encourages iPhone users to buy the iPod Touch because it looks and works like their iPhones.
Encourages iPod Touch users to buy iPhones (down the road) because it looks and works like their iPod Touches.

I am guessing that the iPod Touch system board will be much smaller then the iPhone's and that a 1.8" HDD will fit inside.

Apple may not wish to release a 16GB or 32GB iPod Touch because that would put it over the iPhone (Apple already has large capacity HDD iPods, so that wouldn't be an issue).

As an iPhone owner, I'd buy an iPod that was identical in look and feel to my iPhone because I'd like to carry more stuff.

vandlism
Aug 23, 2007, 01:00 PM
I was just being a pit optimistic I know that Apple love control and wants to make the quick time format bigger than what it is today.

or just wants to use a file format that compresses better and is better supported...divx/xvid is old technology. just because that's what you use to download movies doesn't make it a good format.

bananas
Aug 23, 2007, 01:02 PM
another try

gkarris
Aug 23, 2007, 01:06 PM
Just made this. Hopefully these details are true because they sound sweet!

http://sixpop.com/images/file/21303291.jpg

I like this one the best - sort of the new look to match the new iMacs!

homeboy
Aug 23, 2007, 01:06 PM
or just wants to use a file format that compresses better and is better supported...divx/xvid is old technology. just because that's what you use to download movies doesn't make it a good format.

I know. OGG and AAC is faaaaaaaaaaaaaar superior than MP3 which is also "old" therefor I want Divx and Xvid to be supported to since they are widely used just like MP3. It makes life a little bit easier than having to convert all my downloaded movies to quicktime format in order to play them on the iPod.

gkarris
Aug 23, 2007, 01:08 PM
Assuming that the form factor is the same as the iPhone, might Apple be leveraging the case and LCD of the iPhone in the "iPod Touch"?

Keeps cost lower since you use the same case and screen - just the electronics are different.
Allows folks making 480x320 content for the iPhone to run the same content unmodified on the iPod Touch.
Encourages iPhone users to buy the iPod Touch because it looks and works like their iPhones.
Encourages iPod Touch users to buy iPhones (down the road) because it looks and works like their iPod Touches.

I am guessing that the iPod Touch system board will be much smaller then the iPhone's and that a 1.8" HDD will fit inside.

Apple may not wish to release a 16GB or 32GB iPod Touch because that would put it over the iPhone (Apple already has large capacity HDD iPods, so that wouldn't be an issue).

As an iPhone owner, I'd buy an iPod that was identical in look and feel to my iPhone because I'd like to carry more stuff.

I think they'll share common components but not the exact same form factor. When your iPhone starts ringing - you could accidentally try to answer your iPod. :mad:

Plus, at the prices of iPhone and the fact it's AT&T only - I doubt that I'll buy both the new iPod and and iPhone...

vandlism
Aug 23, 2007, 01:09 PM
Does anyone else find it interesting that whomever created the image on 9to5mac.com used the original Cover Flow and not the iPhone or iTunes implementation. I always liked the behavior of the original a bit better than the current implementation. I secretly hope that it's being recreated in Core Animation and its current implementation is sort of a place holder.

Much Ado
Aug 23, 2007, 01:10 PM
Do we know anything about the approximate release time of Zune Mk.II?

Apple now have a direct competitor (at least in terms of resources and ambition) and it might be interesting to see which is released first, and how the opposite company reacts.

vandlism
Aug 23, 2007, 01:11 PM
I know. OGG and AAC is faaaaaaaaaaaaaar superior than MP3 which is also "old" therefor I want Divx and Xvid to be supported to since they are widely used just like MP3. It makes life a little bit easier than having to convert all my downloaded movies to quicktime format in order to play them on the iPod.

wellll...if they switch the ipods to mac os x, then the music/movie controller will more than likely be the quicktime foundation, which means that hacking it to put divx support won't be far behind.

vandlism
Aug 23, 2007, 01:14 PM
Do we know anything about the approximate release time of Zune Mk.II?

The flash based Zune has been said to launch sometime in September and the 2nd gen Zune about a month thereafter. There have supposedly been a few problems in the production of the new Zune and has been delayed slightly.

sam10685
Aug 23, 2007, 01:15 PM

They could I would think... and they probably should, but I think it would get a bit spendy.

phytonix
Aug 23, 2007, 01:16 PM
it would be very interesting... But I do not plan to purchase another iPod any time soon. Unless this iPod can really do a LOT of things, without the Phone functionality.

madmaxmedia
Aug 23, 2007, 01:16 PM
Best scenario for driving anyway is to use the iPod radio remote, which I assume will still be compatible. It will give you a Shuffle like control pad.

I don't like handling my click wheel iPod in the car, because you have to be careful not to accidentally tweak the volume.

madmaxmedia
Aug 23, 2007, 01:20 PM
I think the extra features like Wifi and camera will not be included, to avoid too much overlap with the iPhone. At most, it might have similar interface for notes, contacts, etc. (and obviously photos too.) It would be nice if the onscreen keyboard was included, that would allow you to create and edit playlists right on the iPod (instead of just On-The-Go...)

If they can basically stick a 30GB hard drive in a stripped down iPhone, and sell that for $299, I will buy it on Day 1.

CWallace
Aug 23, 2007, 01:23 PM

An advantage to .h264 is that many mid-range GPUs have hardware-decode support for it, so you don't need loads of RAM and a high-clocked CPU to watch HD movies. My new iMac 24" has what is considered a "lame" GPU, but the onboard .h264 decoding unit in it means my Core2 CPU doesn't spend all it's time trying to play my movies. :)

macintel4me
Aug 23, 2007, 01:27 PM
Here it is, IMO....with some more thought...

iPod Shuffle = $80, buttons, Flash, 2GB, No screen, No WiFi

iPod Nano = $150-$200, click-wheel, Flash, 4GB - 16GB, 320x240, WiFi

iPod Touch = $200-$350, multi-touch screen, Flash, 4GB - 32GB, 480x320, WiFi

iPod Video = $250-$350, multi-touch screen, HDD, 80GB - 180GB, 640x480, WiFi

WiFi = iTunes Store, Music & Video sharing, sync'ing...NO email, web, IM, SMS, MMS

CWallace
I think they'll share common components but not the exact same form factor. When your iPhone starts ringing - you could accidentally try to answer your iPod. :mad:

That would certainly be an issue. :)

Plus, at the prices of iPhone and the fact it's AT&T only - I doubt that I'll buy both the new iPod and and iPhone...

I came from an 8GB Nano and I needed a new phone and I was already with AT&T. So the 8GB the iPhone replaced two devices I already had (technically three since I had a Windows PDA, but seldom used it - I do use the iPhone's PDA capabilities).

But when on a plane, I'd like to have access to more then a few hundred songs or a few movies/TV shows. In such an environment, the phone features would be disabled, anyway, so it would be in my laptop bag - with my Macbook, which I would not need to bring out. Yes, movies will look much nicer on the Macbook, but it's easier to use a video iPod, especially just before and during meal services.

homeboy
I hope that the iPod touch will bundle with a dagger, nunchuck or something becasue there's going to be a wave of muggin when it is out on the streets.

dalvin200
Aug 23, 2007, 01:31 PM

iPod Shuffle = $50 - $100, buttons, Flash, 2GB, No screen, No WiFi

iPod Touch = $200-$300, multi-touch screen, Flash, 4GB - 32GB, 480x320, WiFi

WiFi = iTunes Store, Music & Video sharing, sync'ing...NO email, web, IM, SMS, MMS

i like your thinking :)

remember the saying.. be careful what you wish for, cos it might come true :D

vandlism
Aug 23, 2007, 01:33 PM
An advantage to .h264 is that many mid-range GPUs have hardware-decode support for it, so you don't need loads of RAM and a high-clocked CPU to watch HD movies. My new iMac 24" has what is considered a "lame" GPU, but the onboard .h264 decoding unit in it means my Core2 CPU doesn't spend all it's time trying to play my movies. :)

I'm totally for h.264 support; I'm just saying I don't think we need support for Divx and the like. It's crummy stuff.

On another note, I'm not entirely sure Apple utilizes those on-board h.264 encoder/decoders. It would be wonderful if they did, but I think at the moment they still throw it all at the CPU.

Virgil-TB2
Aug 23, 2007, 01:46 PM
They sure have been cranking out the info lately. I bet they will get burned soon. Apple will smoke out the leaker with some false info that will be fed to 9to5mac.I sure hope they are not going to be an "official" source. The people that run it seem a tad on the rude/juvenile side at times. It's getting pretty sad that just to keep up on the latest products one has to peruse sites like Gizmodo, Engadet, and now 9to5.

9to5 is by far the least juvenile of the three, but still it would be nice to have some hot rumour sites for those of us above the age of fifteen. Or are the days of actual journalism completely dead now? ;)

Rocketman
Aug 23, 2007, 01:49 PM
It, and all future devices, should have a front mounted camera (stills, video, teleconference) as well as a microphone, and OF COURSE WI-FI (and in 2008-9 wimax).

Expand the thickness a bit, yes. FOR BATTERY CAPACITY.

Web everwhere "wi-enabled", teleconference everywhere "wi-enabled", music in the background of value added features.

wifi will be the dial-up of the future, already in McDonalds and Starbucks nationwide, and soon many others for FREE. wimax the broadband of the future with access limits, and fees. Web 2.0 know your user.

Rocketman

homeboy
Aug 23, 2007, 01:55 PM
It, and all future devices, should have a front mounted camera (stills, video, teleconference) as well as a microphone, and OF COURSE WI-FI (and in 2008-9 wimax).

Web everwhere "wi-enabled", teleconference everywhere "wi-enabled", music in the background of value added features.

wifi will be the dial-up of the future, already in McDonalds and Starbucks nationwide, and soon many others for FREE. wimax the broadband of the future with access limits, and fees. Web 2.0 know your user.

Rocketman

Don't forget GPS, Bluetooth 2.0 and LED backlight

jouster
Aug 23, 2007, 01:56 PM
What about some kind of YouTube ONLY integration??
Wi-fi enabled but they limit it to only something like youtube which is still only for media files........

possible?

Someone would have skype on it in 24 hours....

macintel4me
Aug 23, 2007, 01:58 PM
Not every device is meant to be a videoconferening device.

iPod = The best mobile entertainment device on the planet.
iPhone = The best communications device on the planet.
iMac = The prettiest desktop on the planet. ;)

elcid
Aug 23, 2007, 01:58 PM

Meh, I would rather they leave off wifi if it cant really be used with anything other than that. Lose a feature no one is really going to use and save an arguement for a price hike.

vandlism
Aug 23, 2007, 01:59 PM

Rocketman

What you're looking for is a MacBook.

Slayerboym88
Aug 23, 2007, 02:02 PM
I'm totally for h.264 support; I'm just saying I don't think we need support for Divx and the like. It's crummy stuff.

On another note, I'm not entirely sure Apple utilizes those on-board h.264 encoder/decoders. It would be wonderful if they did, but I think at the moment they still throw it all at the CPU.

While divx may not be as nice as h264, i have so many things dl'd into divx, that continued non-support would be very frustrating. While i don't EXPECT it, i certainly would not say that Divx support is unnecessary.

Also, maybe i missed it, but since when have there been any clues that ipod touch and ipod video would be a) separate things and b) available in flash? I'm confused? Mainly because why would they make a flash version since they do not hold that much? If it was touch, then it would need a bigger screen and hence, do video, but then there's not enough space for video! Seems unnecessary.

brucku
Aug 23, 2007, 02:04 PM

Um because the iphone uses NAND flash memory which takes up less space than a 1.8in hard drive which is what will hold 160gb of data in the new ipod Touch.

wakerider017
Aug 23, 2007, 02:11 PM
what do you guys think the chances are of WiFi in the new iPod?

CWallace
Aug 23, 2007, 02:15 PM

I tend to think low, to be honest. It eats battery life and when combined with a HDD, it could be like the SNL "Evening Edition" skit on the iPhone where, when asked how long the battery lasted, "Steve" replied "20 minutes". :p

i0Nic
Aug 23, 2007, 02:17 PM

38.9543%

SiliconAddict
Aug 23, 2007, 02:18 PM
way to kick Zune while they're on the ground bleeding and barely breathing.

From the company that has something like 4 billion in cash assets. I always enjoy people who think that MS is getting thrashed. For the first 3 years of its existence the Palm Sized PC got the live snot kicked out of it by Palm....But they kept coming back and coming back and coming back and coming back. MS has the resources to redo the zune over and over and over again until they hit on something. To MS the music market is an interesting pastime until they find something else that attracts their attention.

As for the iPod Video....bring it. If they put a 160GB drive in it I will be over it like..well like something I can't say on a forum.

blueflame
Aug 23, 2007, 02:21 PM
basically, ive always seen the nano as the original ipod. it is good for everyone who bought the originals. now they can do that again with the current ipods with videos. just make em smaller, make room for new catagory.

Orng
Aug 23, 2007, 02:21 PM

I hear ya. I've only dropped my shuffle twice, but, and I've told this story elsewhere, last week I left it in my pocket, ear buds and all, put it through the wash, then my clothes sat in the washing machine for three hours or so until I suddenly remembered that I had laundry in the wash, and that my iPod was probably in there.

It's fine, just had to let it sit and dry out for a day or two, then recharged it. Ear buds are fine too. Frankly I'm more surprised the ear buds survived than the shuffle.

bloodycape
Aug 23, 2007, 02:22 PM
So they are borrowing names from other(same also) companies again? The Creative Zen Touch and the HTC Touch. Can't Apple come up with a more unique name? I doubt 32gig will be used in the current ipod as that is still on the pricey side. Maybe if they added SDHC support that be another story. Let say a 16gig flash ipod, then when 32gig SDHC cards become priced right, people can have the option of using on of those.

Virgil-TB2
Aug 23, 2007, 02:22 PM
they probably have guys in China where all these ipods are made, maybe they talk to the workers making those ipods, maybe someone else but I do remember reading something like 'our sources in China tell us that ..."

the name 'iPod Touch' doesn't sound very Apple like, I must admit, though the concept seems pretty plausible, we all know Apple's got touchscreen iPod working inside iPhone (the best feature of iPhone in my opinion) so why not the same but in a different pack? shouldn't be very difficult ...I think you're right. Apple goes to great lengths to control leaks, but nothing can really stop the rampant illegality in China. They are like the Wild West frontier of Capitalism. Every once in a while the Sheriff strings someone up to scare the rest of them, but they are essentially left on their own otherwise. ;)

The Chinese government and Chinese businesses on average have little if any respect for any kind of IP laws (or safety laws, protected species laws, the selling of illegal products, etc. etc. ). Commercial espionage and IP theft is often seen as "par for the course" for many of China's business' and the average factory worker in China would probably not see anything wrong with releasing this kind of information to a friend overseas. The people leaking this kind of stuff are also completely out of reach of the law as long as they stay on the mainland, so who's going to stop them anyway?

PS - I know I just made some large generalisations there, but as such (generalisations), they are still true. I am not trying to say that all businesses in China are evil or bad or anything of the sort. I am sure there are many fine, honestly run operations and many moral upstanding citizens just like any other country.

It's important to note also that I am talking about Chinese business practices and the structure of Chinese law and society here, and *not* the Chinese as a people. I am not a racist, I have many Chinese friends and family members (although white myself), and this is not a racial issue. It's about how a country governs it's people and the law in that country only.

Quickdood
Aug 23, 2007, 02:24 PM

38.9543%

I think more like 5.6542% give or take .0201%

madmaxmedia
Aug 23, 2007, 02:24 PM
I'm sure the screen will be the same. The overall form factor will be similar, but the casing will be a little different to discriminate it from the iPhone. The HD versions will obviously be a little bit thicker (for anyone wondering why, even a 1.8" HD takes up a lot of space inside an iPod.)

The overall UI will be similar, which as you say gives people familiarity to the UI and probably is a benefit to iPhone sales.

They will strip out the camera and Wifi as well as the phone, to make sure the iPhone is the top of the heap (it had better be with the price). That's the only way they can start the new iPod at $299 for the cheapest version, without making the iPhone look too overpriced.

SiliconAddict
Aug 23, 2007, 02:25 PM
I tend to think low, to be honest. It eats battery life and when combined with a HDD, it could be like the SNL "Evening Edition" skit on the iPhone where, when asked how long the battery lasted, "Steve" replied "20 minutes". :p

And yet the iPhone with WIFI on gets good battery life. I really don't know why you guys are so down on WIFI. As long as you can turn it off when not in use its not a big deal. I sure as heck would rather have a feature that can be disabled when not in use then not at all. As for the HDD. You guys STILL don't get it. With a large enough cache the HDD would rarely even get touched. Put say a 256-512MB cache on that thing and it would touch the HD maybe once an hour.

madmaxmedia
Aug 23, 2007, 02:26 PM
They're not THAT much better than mp3, if you use a good mp3 codec such as the LAME presets. Same goes for Divx/Xvid compared to H.264 (there is a much wider gap with these video formats and MPEG2.)

wbhambone
Aug 23, 2007, 02:30 PM
I think jfmartin nailed it. They're keeping the nano's as they are now. They're introducing new iPods (shown on 9to5), and they will also introduce the new big touch-screen iPod.

Quickdood
Aug 23, 2007, 02:31 PM

the name 'iPod Touch' doesn't sound very Apple like, I must admit, though the concept seems pretty plausible, we all know Apple's got touchscreen iPod working inside iPhone (the best feature of iPhone in my opinion) so why not the same but in a different pack? shouldn't be very difficult ...

Everyone knows Ipods are assembled by blind Tibetan monks who have taken an oath of silence, and the the different parts come from dozens of different companies. Ipods are delivered to Apple stores from Tibet through a complex maze of underground tunnels by mole people who also happen to be blind making it impossible for leaks to occur.

whatever
Aug 23, 2007, 02:33 PM
That will never happen!

Apple would never complicate a product line that badly.

The shuffle is going nowhere, the Nano may get renamed and the iPod will become more like the iPhone.

I really hope that the iPod eventually morphs into the iPhone, much like the iPod Photo, just became the iPod.

madmaxmedia
Aug 23, 2007, 02:33 PM
I'd LOVE to have Wifi, after all it's just an option you can turn off (and Safari is great on the iPhone!) But I am pretty sure Apple will leave it out to reduce costs, and differentiate between the iPhone and the iPod. Remember at the Expo Jobs introduced the iPhone as a phone, iPod, and internet device. If the iPod basically does 2 out of those 3, it will be too close to the iPhone given the iPhone's price.

And yet the iPhone with WIFI on gets good battery life. I really don't know why you guys are so down on WIFI. As long as you can turn it off when not in use its not a big deal. I sure as heck would rather have a feature that can be disabled when not in use then not at all. As for the HDD. You guys STILL don't get it. With a large enough cache the HDD would rarely even get touched. Put say a 256-512MB cache on that thing and it would touch the HD maybe once an hour.

vandlism
Aug 23, 2007, 02:47 PM
Over on the other threads people are worried about tactile feedback on a touch-screen iPod. On this thread there have been assertions (myself included) that the iPod would implement both hard drive and flash memory to act as a buffer (though iPods really already have some capacity of RAM for skip control) anyways, then I stumbled upon an idea. Granted, I in no way think this would ever happen or that its even a good idea, but simply just a bit of a brainstorm. Just stick with me...

iPods have a large capacity hard drive. iPod shuffles have flash memory. An option for controlling the iPod without looking at the screen is the FM remote control, a rebirth of the controller for 3rd gen iPods. The shuffle shares the same styling (clip on the back ftw) and size of the controller, minus FM but gaining flash memory. iPod gains OS X, OS X supports RAID and Xgrid. Plug iPod shuffle into the bottom of the iPod and you get your temporary controller+flash memory. I know, not even going to happen, reducing industrial grade technologies for playing back music, but for some reason I thought of it when considering that I'll probably be getting a shuffle in addition to the next iPod. Alright, nothing to see here, move along.

Pants Dragon
Aug 23, 2007, 02:48 PM
Someone would have skype on it in 24 hours....

Call me crazy, but I don't think iPods come with a microphone, so that's not much of an issue. ;)

Orng
Aug 23, 2007, 02:50 PM
The shuffle is going nowhere, the Nano may get renamed and the iPod will become more like the iPhone.

I love my shuffle, I recommend it to people all the time! I resisted it for a long time, but now I think it's awesome. Ideally i'd have the shuffle for some activities and something with a screen for other activities, but until I make more money, the shuffle is all the iPod I really need.

homeboy
Aug 23, 2007, 02:51 PM
They're not THAT much better than mp3, if you use a good mp3 codec such as the LAME presets.
If you are like me and have a good ear for sound, a top notch sound card and quality speakers you can easily tell the difference from MP3 and OGG/AAC, especially when the volume is turned up a bit. MP3 doesn't stand a chance against OGG which not only sounds better but are also better compressed. I took a blind test issued by a HiFi magazine a few years ago, trust me.

madmaxmedia
Aug 23, 2007, 02:54 PM
I think there is still such a controller for dock connector iPods (it uses the dock connector, not the extra remote jack in the 3G). So no weird changes to the Shuffle are needed to make it function as a remote.

I also posted this, in response to people who are concerned about the touchscreen interface. Even the clickwheel is finicky to use while driving IMO (which is why I use my Shuffle a lot.)

iPods have a large capacity hard drive. iPod shuffles have flash memory. An option for controlling the iPod without looking at the screen is the FM remote control, a rebirth of the controller for 3rd gen iPods. The shuffle shares the same styling (clip on the back ftw) and size of the controller, minus FM but gaining flash memory. iPod gains OS X, OS X supports RAID and Xgrid. Plug iPod shuffle into the bottom of the iPod and you get your temporary controller+flash memory. I know, not even going to happen, reducing industrial grade technologies for playing back music, but for some reason I thought of it when considering that I'll probably be getting a shuffle in addition to the next iPod. Alright, nothing to see here, move along.

gloss
Aug 23, 2007, 02:58 PM
Here's a gorgeous, realistic mockup by a gent named 'Omar' that 9to5mac posted. If it's even close to this, I'm there.

http://img502.imageshack.us/img502/9272/mockupgz8.jpg

jfmartin
Aug 23, 2007, 02:58 PM
That will never happen!

Apple would never complicate a product line that badly.

I really hope that the iPod eventually morphs into the iPhone, much like the iPod Photo, just became the iPod.

Well, Apple need to expand the product line because other companies are expanding the functionnalities of their product and fill in the blank between the current iPod models...

Apple will keep the nano for a while just because thy are still 'kind of' new and very limited in functionality and may secude people that don't want the simplist deisgn of the shuffle...

The new iPod mini will in fact be very sexy because near the current iPod 5.5 gen in functionality but way much thinner because of the use of the flash memory...

The top of the line need to expand and renewed because of the iPhone effect... now the current iPod look outdated... it is a mather of perception... Apple is very aware of that and will react in accordance...

JF

bloodycape
Aug 23, 2007, 03:04 PM
Well, Apple need to expand the product line because other companies are expanding the functionnalities of their product and fill in the blank between the current iPod models...

Um sorry, but other companies have been doing what you have said for years now.

jouster
Aug 23, 2007, 03:06 PM
Call me crazy, but I don't think iPods come with a microphone, so that's not much of an issue. ;)

Call me crazy, but I've heard that there are some after-market accessories for the iPod. And some say that skype can also be used for messaging.

CWallace
Aug 23, 2007, 03:12 PM
And yet the iPhone with WIFI on gets good battery life.

Yes it does, because it has a very large battery. If any of the "iPod Touch" models does have pure flash, then it probably could get away with WiFi. But a 1.8" HDD will take up a good bit of space, and might require a smaller battery which, combined with the HDD's power requirements...

What makes the iPhone, at least for me, usable is EDGE. Sure, the performance is abysmal compared to WiFi, but it gets the job done on most webpages (even YouTube kinda works). I live in Seattle where unsecured WiFi base stations are everywhere, but even I spend the majority of my time on EDGE.

I am not sure how usable WiFi is going to be on an iPod, especially since it is unlikely Apple will allow Zune-style sharing considering how cranky the record companies are with Apple and iTunes already.

I really don't know why you guys are so down on WIFI. As long as you can turn it off when not in use its not a big deal. I sure as heck would rather have a feature that can be disabled when not in use then not at all.

Yet that adds cost and complexity, which needs to be weighed by Apple, as well.

As for the HDD. You guys STILL don't get it. With a large enough cache the HDD would rarely even get touched. Put say a 256-512MB cache on that thing and it would touch the HD maybe once an hour.

A hybrid HDD would work great when you're just listening to a playlist or an album where the machine can stream that much data into the buffer. If you constantly switch albums or songs, then the HDD will constantly have to refresh that buffer.

Anyone know if OS-X works with them? Last I heard, only Vista was designed to use them.

bigbossbmb
Aug 23, 2007, 03:18 PM

Fact: The iPod is a music player (1g-3g)

Fact: The iPod is a music player that can display pictures (4g)

Fact: The iPod is a media player that does music and movies (5g)

Fact: Arguments like this hold no ground when talking about the 6g iPod becuase, guess what, it is a fact that they've been consistently adding functionality into the iPod for the last 3-4 years.

On another note...
Steve said that the iPhone is the best iPod they've ever made. I find it really hard to believe he'd make a statement like that and then release an iPod that was inferior (not a touch screen) afterwards. It would be like admitting they are giving us everything that they could offer.

aswitcher
Aug 23, 2007, 03:21 PM

Nice line up, although I think we might see a screen on the shuffle.
If they get a full OS then without the "phone" component they really should do GPS on the Touch for GMaps, iChat proximity stuff, etc.

homeboy
Aug 23, 2007, 03:25 PM
On another note...
Steve said that the iPhone is the best iPod they've ever made. I find it really hard to believe he'd make a statement like that and then release an iPod that was inferior (not a touch screen) afterwards. It would be like admitting they are giving us everything that they could offer.

Word! The iPod functionality on the iPhone was just a preview showing the future of the big iPod. Don't be surprised when you see that the iPod has better playback functionality than the iPhone.

jfmartin
Aug 23, 2007, 03:29 PM
Word! The iPod functionality on the iPhone was just a preview showing the future of the big iPod. Don't be surprised when you see that the iPod has better playback functionality than the iPhone.

I agree on this... the iPod is the other plateform for Apple... that is imbedded in the iPhone... that will continue to evolve... we ain't see nothin yet !

sanford
Aug 23, 2007, 03:35 PM

9to5mac claims (http://9to5mac.com/ipod-touch-345206948) to have knowledge of the upcoming full-size iPod which they are refering to as the "iPod Touch".

According to the site, the OS X based iPod will share a similar look to the current iPhone, complete with "home" button and a 480x320 pixel screen. Compared to the iPhone, the outer ridge is said to be black, with a slightly thicker case.

A report (http://www.macrumors.com/2007/08/23/os-x-based-ipods-at-media-event-in-september/) from earlier today from Appleinsider does expect up to 4 new iPod models to be introduced in September.

Article Link (http://www.macrumors.com/2007/08/23/ipod-touch-details/)

Um, where do I pre-order? I prefer the click wheel to touch screen for iPod functions, but that doesn't mean I'm not willing to endure a very long-term comparison period for the two different interfaces.

Then again, I'm taking a ghost assignment for which an iPhone would finally be useful for me and I don't know if I can justify an iPhone *and* a larger capacity (HDD?) "iPod touch". Oh, yes I can.

macintel4me
Aug 23, 2007, 04:08 PM
How about....

iPod Nano = $150-$200, click-wheel, Flash, 4GB - 16GB, 320x240, No WiFi

WiFi = iTunes Store, Music & Video sharing, sync'ing, email, web, IM, SMS, MMS

I think full WiFi features would be present because it wouldn't do any real sales damage to the iPhone. The iPhone came out with "the best iPod yet" and it didn't hurt iPod sales. Using the same logic then, if an iPod came out with "a pretty good communicaitons device" integrated into it I don't believe it would hurt iPhone sales.

If true, the iPod Touch would be "the killer" school/university gadget on the planet.

gloss
Aug 23, 2007, 04:12 PM
I'm still trying to figure out why the iPod Touch wouldn't be the top-end iPod model in a lot of these product matrices that I'm seeing.

madmaxmedia
Aug 23, 2007, 04:13 PM
Maybe if there's a $450 or so top-of-the-line model, it will have Wifi and the associated goodies.

But no way the $299 cheapest iPod will have Wifi. Not when the iPhone costs $500 or $600 and requires a 2-year plan.

Of course I'll eat my words if it does, and I'm hoping it will. But I will be more than happy with a touchscreen model that just does the media stuff.

hayesk
Aug 23, 2007, 04:19 PM
Fact: The iPod is a music player (1g-3g)

Fact: The iPod is a music player that can display pictures (4g)

Fact: The iPod is a media player that does music and movies (5g)

Fact: Arguments like this hold no ground when talking about the 6g iPod becuase, guess what, it is a fact that they've been consistently adding functionality into the iPod for the last 3-4 years.

Actually that last fact is fallacy. Your previous facts did not negate the original poster who said "Fact: the iPod is a media player" - those are all media player features. The 6g iPod won't toast bagels, and it won't have widgets, safari, email, etc. because those are not media player features. But hey, that's just my prediction. Feel free to prove me wrong.

Wayfarer
Aug 23, 2007, 04:22 PM
How about....

iPod Nano...

iPod Video...

The upcoming iPod Nano will have video capability, so one might one to distinguish between those two models.

macintel4me
Aug 23, 2007, 04:26 PM
After these are released, I can't wait to see the Zune comparisions. It's going to be crazy embarrasing for Microsoft.

Stang68
Aug 23, 2007, 04:28 PM
How about....

iPod Nano = $150-$200, click-wheel, Flash, 4GB - 16GB, 320x240, No WiFi

Why wouldn't they just make the iPod Touch the iPod video? Why make two separate things? Im not saying you're wrong, I'm asking. Whats the difference between flash and hard drive memory?

zub3qin
Aug 23, 2007, 04:29 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows 98; PalmSource/Palm-D052; Blazer/4.5) 16;320x320)

does nobody want or think the new ipod will run safari? why make it os x if all it is doing is coverflow and music? of course an ipod with wifi will cut into iphone sales (how many would really get iphone just for its phone features?) Anyone have any idea if wifi and safari make any sense for apple on the new ipod?

knelto
Aug 23, 2007, 04:32 PM
On another note...

The iPhone is an iPod, a phone, and an Internet communications device. He may have said it's the best iPod they've ever made but he wasn't necessarily referring to the device as a whole. The iPod on the iPhone is the best they've ever made. You know how you cannibalize iPhone sales? Wi-fi. If you put Wi-fi (for Youtube/sharing/etc) then people will say, hey, if I've got Wi-fi, why not throw Safari on here so I can get online? THAT'S how you cannibalize iPhone sales, you make two separate devices fairly similar in function with just a few things left off here or there. Steve wouldn't go for this. Why did he nix all the confusing laptop models after he got back? No one could really tell the difference in them, even Steve.

If Apple is really trying to grow the iPhone into it's own separate leg of the company, then the iPod will not have Wi-fi.

Proud Liberal
Aug 23, 2007, 04:35 PM

I agree, to a point. I too think the iPhone is a preview for the next generation iPod. However, for some strange reason, Apple decided to remove the Shuffle-->Albums feature on the iPhone. Sure hope they put it back on the new iPods. To have better playback functionality than the iPhone, they need to include the Shuffle Albums feature that is available in the 5.5G iPod & 2G Nano.

mrdaviii
Aug 23, 2007, 04:43 PM
I think we need to think beyond the product lines we're used to. Look at it this way, the nano with video is essentially an iPod now (and it will look more like a 5.5G anyway if the rumored pics are real) so I think the nano moniker is going away. Here's what I think we'll see:

iPod Shuffle
2GB
Buttons (no screen)
$79

iPod (aka "stubby", what people think is the "new nano")
$149
Click-wheel
4GB (flash-based)
320x240 screen
Video playback

$199 - 8GB (flash) option

$249 - 16GB (flash) option

iPod Touch
$299
Multi-touch screen (640x480)
Video playback (widescreen)
80GB (HDD)
Wi-Fi (mainly for iTS, AppleTV syncing/remote control)
Voice/Headphone Control (via built-in mic in headphones, similar to iPhone)

$399
160GB option (HDD)

I'd also expect to see an announcement for new accessibility options for the iTunes Store as a new icon on the iPhone, menu item on iPod Touch, and menu item on Apple TV. It would also have new UI variants optimized for the iPhone/iPod Touch screen and Apple TV.

homeboy
Aug 23, 2007, 04:44 PM
zub3qin
Seriously. Expecting safari on the coming iPod touch this year is wishful thinking. Apple takes one thing at the time and tries to do it properly. Safari won't be on iPods until a year at least. Apple is at the moment turning the iPod into a media device and will turn it into a communication device at a later stage.

At the moment music and movie playback is what's most important to consumers.

I agree, to a point. I too think the iPhone is a preview for the next generation iPod. However, for some strange reason, Apple decided to remove the Shuffle-->Albums feature on the iPhone. Sure hope they put it back on the new iPods. To have better playback functionality than the iPhone, they need to include the Shuffle Albums feature that is available in the 5.5G iPod & 2G Nano.

The iPhone will most likely be a slightly crippled iPod touch and will get the latest feature through a firmware upgrades a few months before the iPod touch does.
After all the iPhone is first and foremost a phone, internet communication device and thirdly an iPod.

Black Belt
Aug 23, 2007, 04:48 PM
Although the "idea" for the "squirting" (LOL) is great, I dunno if apple would do that or not because it's so obviously a Zune copy... could happen too tho

I know I'd likely never use that feature tho

I think "Squirting" is a fantastic idea, the problem is no one has a Zune which is why it didn't work there. But everyone has an iPod so it would open up huge possibilities. I am attending the Podcast Expo next month. Imagine if people there could "Squirt" you a sample podcast, or new artists could "squirt" you a song. Attend a concert and you'll get "squirted" a bonus track unavailable on the CD. Attend a book signing and they can "Squirt" you a sample of the audio book. Go to a movie, and they can "squirt" you bonus extras while you are watching the movie. I think it would be cool if a Squirt could be both a direct iPod to iPod or a broadcast - Network to multiple iPods. I think it would be huge!

It wouldn't be the first time Apple copied something and acted as if they had it all along. :p

Zunes....they haven't lived up to some of their commitments for upgrades, but I wouldn't count them out. Microsoft sticks it's foot in the arena and gradually, like the Borg, eventually assimilates great stuff and becomes all powerful. X-box seemed like a crazy idea, but even in spite of its problems, it is probably now the best gaming system out there. Windows Mobile used to be dreck compared to Palm, but now....I am at the point considering dropping Palm and going to a Windows Mobile Device because they are keeping it upgraded and it has some better functionality even though it is not perfect yet, it is getting there. I just looked at an HTC device and it is beautiful.

homeboy
Aug 23, 2007, 04:49 PM
I think we need to think beyond the product lines we're used to. Look at it this way, the nano with video is essentially an iPod now (and it will look more like a 5.5G anyway if the rumored pics are real) so I think the nano moniker is going away. Here's what I think we'll see:

iPod Shuffle
iPod (aka "stubby", what people think is the "new nano")
iPod Touch

I think there will be four iPod. The reason the Nano is a best seller is because it is what the masses want i.e a simple and small device which plays music.

Although the chubby Nano will be thin it won't be nearly as compact as the Nano which fit in almost any jeans. Apple would never turn their back on an opportunity to make money by killing a popular product.

Therefor I can see the Nano as we know it today still existing but with it's height cut off a bit just like the chubby one is a shorter iPod G5. Not everybody want a big screen for watching video on, some just want a sexy music player. The shuffle is not an option for many.

madmaxmedia
Aug 23, 2007, 04:52 PM
I think adding Wifi opens a can of worms for Apple. If they add wifi for squirting (which would work better given popularity of iPod), then why stop there? It's already running OSX, why wouldn't you add Safari? It's too close the the iPhone.

Even if they didn't add Safari themselves, someone might eventually hack it to run the iPhone Safari (if it had Wifi.)

I think Wifi will be added maybe a year from now with all the bells and whistles. For now getting a touchscreen 30GB iPod at $299 would be a great accomplishment in itself, and would make the full-sized iPod sexy again.

sanford
Aug 23, 2007, 04:53 PM

640x480 is 4:3. Why would they release the model with far greater storage -- especially useful for movies -- with standard aspect ratio rather than wide screen of the flash model?

And SMS and MMS are mobile phone messaging protocols. They only work via WiFi through specialized gateways, like AIM/iChat for example, and MMS isn't really available through networked IM clients at all. Also, iPhone doesn't yet do IM on the networked computer side or MMS on the mobile phone side. I doubt they'd leapfrog the iPhone with these features in a new iPod.

I might expect a price increase to $300 for the lower storage HDD model and $400 for the higher, as the perceived value in the new design and interface, if it even yet exists, may be great enough to support a price increase.

Black Belt
Aug 23, 2007, 05:04 PM
It's too close the the iPhone.

Sounds like the reasoning of John Scully again. I sware my theory of the bug in OS Leopard's Time Machine swapping the consciousness of John Scully and Steve Jobs is sounding more and more true every day.

"Let's cripple our bestselling device so it won't hypothetically (not in reality) harm sales of a product that will only sell 1/20th of what the bestseller does."

Yeah, that makes sense. :rolleyes:

mrdaviii
Aug 23, 2007, 05:09 PM
I think there will be four iPod. The reason the Nano is a best seller is because it is what the masses want i.e a simple and small device which plays music.

Although the chubby Nano will be thin it won't be nearly as compact as the Nano which fit in almost any jeans. Apple would never turn their back on an opportunity to make money by killing a popular product.

Therefor I can see the Nano as we know it today still existing but with it's height cut off a bit just like the chubby one is a shorter iPod G5. Not everybody want a big screen for watching video on, some just want a sexy music player. The shuffle is not an option for many.

These are good points but remember that Apple is notorious for releasing/pushing products out that "the masses" want before "the masses" realize they do (USB, consumer DVD burning, portable digital music, legal downloads), and I think the upcoming one Apple will focus on is personal media/video- anywhere. We don't think people "want" a video player in their pocket, but thats mainly because until now it's been more expensive than just going out and buying a nano, almost a luxury item. For $149, getting a super-thin iPod that plays music and video is definitely going to be attractive for the masses. Let's face it, with the onslaught of YouTube and the continued growth of TV shows and movies on iTunes, portable video is going to be everywhere over the next few years and IMO will become a standard feature in the majority of portable media devices, even at much lower price points.

CWallace
Aug 23, 2007, 05:16 PM
On another note...Steve said that the iPhone is the best iPod they've ever made. I find it really hard to believe he'd make a statement like that and then release an iPod that was inferior (not a touch screen) afterwards. It would be like admitting they are giving us everything that they could offer.

Why not? If the iPhone is indeed the best iPod they ever made, releasing an inferior one would make sure that all us iPhone users were still safe with having the best iPod. :p

Seriously, I expect the "flagship" iPod will have a touchscreen ala the iPhone and similar iPod-related functionality. I have my doubts it will ship with 16GB or 32GB of flash, but instead believe it will have a 1.8" HDD.

You know how you cannibalize iPhone sales? Wi-fi. If you put Wi-fi (for Youtube/sharing/etc) then people will say, hey, if I've got Wi-fi, why not throw Safari on here so I can get online? THAT'S how you cannibalize iPhone sales, you make two separate devices fairly similar in function with just a few things left off here or there...If Apple is really trying to grow the iPhone into it's own separate leg of the company, then the iPod will not have Wi-fi.

Good call.

I think adding Wifi opens a can of worms for Apple...Even if they didn't add Safari themselves, someone might eventually hack it to run the iPhone Safari (if it had Wifi.)

Agreed. Look how quickly folks are hacking our iPhones and how much simpler and easier it is becoming (witness today's "GUI installer"). Since it seems assured that the iPods will also be running OS X, folks are going to figure out how to hack them though the USB port soon enough, to say nothing if Apple makes them networkable via WiFi.

Being a phone is the last reason I bought the iPhone, since I take and make so few calls. It was the iPod and PDA and internet access functionality that compelled me to buy it. Give someone all that, even at $400, and save them the $2000+ I have to give to AT&T for the cellular phone and modem part, and I bet a lot of folks who are shying away from the iPhone would snap up the iPod. The $600 isn't the "deal-breaker" - it's the two years of service charges to AT&T...

homeboy
Aug 23, 2007, 05:18 PM
These are good points but remember that Apple is notorious for releasing/pushing products out that "the masses" want before "the masses" realize they do (USB, consumer DVD burning, portable digital music, legal downloads), and I think the upcoming one Apple will focus on is personal media/video- anywhere. We don't think people "want" a video player in their pocket, but thats mainly because until now it's been more expensive than just going out and buying a nano, almost a luxury item. For $149, getting a super-thin iPod that plays music and video is definitely going to be attractive for the masses. Let's face it, with the onslaught of YouTube and the continued growth of TV shows and movies on iTunes, portable video is going to be everywhere over the next few years and IMO will become a standard feature in the majority of portable media devices, even at much lower price points.

Very valid arguments, Apple are trendsetter.
Dut I still think that there will always be a demand for a compact device which plays music. Although video playback is desirable feature many people have absolute zero interest in watching movies on a "tiny" 2.5 inch screen. Things like games, picture viewing and movie playback are just extras for a lot of people.

Eventhough the iPod G5.5 has been lowered to an extremely attractive price the small and cute Nano still outsells big time. I could see them dump the shuffle though.

The Toon Master
Aug 23, 2007, 05:19 PM
Here's What i think

iPod Shuffle
Flavors: Silver, Black, Light Green, Light Blue, Orange, and Cranberry/Wine Red(apart of Product Red)
Additions: None
Sizes: 1Gig($75) maybe a 2gig at 100(Probably Not)

iPod Nano:
Flavors: Silver, Black, Light Green, Light Blue, Orange, and Cranberry/Wine Red(Part of Product Red)
Sizes: 1Gig($100), 2Gig($125), 5Gig($175), 10Gig($225)

The All New iPod Mini:
Flavors: Silver, Black, Light Green, Light Blue, and Cranberry/Wine Red(Part of Product Red)
Additions: Video Playback
Sizes: 10Gig($225), 20Gig($275), 40Gig($325)

iPod Video
Flavors: White, Black, Silver
Additions: OS X, Some Wi-Fi Capabilities, Touch Screen
Sizes: 20Gig($300), 50Gig($375), 100Gig($450)

thejadedmonkey
Aug 23, 2007, 05:31 PM
oh for sure, its almost as aweful as the new laptop lines' name...

Macbook and Macbook pro :s

Which I happen to hate...

zflauaus
Aug 23, 2007, 05:44 PM
This tickled the crap out of me when I saw the article. I actually predicted the iPod Touch, literally, name and all, on July 28th.

The iPod will still have the click wheel and will have an interface similar to those videos leaked, but another model is going to be added to the lineup: the iPod Touch.

The iPod Touch will have the same style of touch screen that the iPhone has, except maybe a little bigger. It will have WiFi and Bluetooth in it. The WiFi will be used for Safari, Mail, Google Maps, basically everything that the iPhone uses the cell phone data connection for, but the Bluetooth will add two features to the iPod and one to the iPhone. For the iPod, this will include a DUN (dial-up networking) profile which will allow you to tether your phone over Bluetooth to get the internet wherever you are. The other profile that would be included for both the iPod and the iPhone will be A2DP. One of the biggest letdowns for the iPhone was the fact that A2DP wasn’t included. If you aren’t familiar, A2DP lets you stream music/audio over Bluetooth to either a Bluetooth audio adapter or Bluetooth headphones.

For the finer specifications, here’s my thoughts. The click-wheel iPod will be bumped up to 40GB and 80GB of storage, not that different than it is now. The iPod Touch on the other hand will have a 60GB and 100GB storage option. It will have a 3.5” screen, like the iPhone, but will take out the unnecessary bulkiness needed for the earpiece at the top. The “Home” button is not out of the picture completely, but may be moved to the side of the device, most likely near the headphone port.

Here's the original article: http://www.appletell.com/apple/comment/where-will-the-ipod-go/

To confirm this, check the name. It associates with my user name. I was seriously surprised as hell when I saw this.

Fwink!
Aug 23, 2007, 06:13 PM
I'm tired of we, the consumers, arguing on behalf of the manufacturer for withholding features.
Apple has made it's mark in the past by being the company with the products that delivered the features you want, not finding reasons to withhold features.

I think we'll see wifi on the top of the line video iPod.
Why? Internet Radio. Internet Video. People are willing to pay for sirius - this is apples chance to obliterate that entire market by adding 1 feature - wifi.

For them to then withhold email, messaging & browsing - just because they can would make the iPod a rather mute part of the ever evolving wireless home/office/school environment.

You also have to consider that a wifi iPod hardly competes with a phone that requires a $2000 contract to function. And lots of people have other phones they are fine with.

It's very simple™

Taylor C
Aug 23, 2007, 06:14 PM
What the hell is this stuff about the 'fat' Nano? It looks -really- bad. I highly doubt we'll see a nano revamp so soon, and I'm sure it'll be more tastefully done. After all, the "completely remastered" Nanos were released under a year ago, but Apple always does like to refresh things going into the holiday quarter in respect to their most consumer products (read: iPods, consumer iMacs and MacBooks).

ezekielrage_99
Aug 23, 2007, 06:26 PM

Maybe it has a bigger battery and uses a HDD rather than flash memory? That could account for the larger size.

beer.coffee
Aug 23, 2007, 06:26 PM

No.....rumours are fun. Why is hell wouldnt you want them?

homeboy
Aug 23, 2007, 06:37 PM
No.....rumours are fun.

Indeed! They help us make the clock tick faster while waiting for the real thing to be released.

Foucault
Aug 23, 2007, 06:44 PM
I found these in Flickr
http://farm1.static.flickr.com/50/107088629_886a133f3a.jpg

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/47/119400410_afc2520be6_o.png

A Pittarelli
Aug 23, 2007, 07:29 PM
come on iwide flash touch pod!

The Toon Master
Aug 23, 2007, 07:52 PM
I found these in Flickr
http://farm1.static.flickr.com/50/107088629_886a133f3a.jpg

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/47/119400410_afc2520be6_o.png

I've seen the first one before, 2nd one too

All Fakes btw

I doubt that the ones we saw were Nanos. They sem too big compared to how ultra thin the Nanos and even the Minis are..., Probably either a new line or the iPod Video Replacement..

MacFly123
Aug 23, 2007, 08:53 PM
Propably because it uses hard-drive as opposed to flash

If it is thicker than the iPhone then that will piss me off. That is a LOT thicker then the current iPod Video :(

"You can never be too thin or powerful" :(

MacFly123
Aug 23, 2007, 09:05 PM
Looks like my concepts and design predictions are on track to be correct :)

MacFly123
Aug 23, 2007, 09:10 PM
there is the "new product" rumoured :D

however, w/o a WIFI iPod, the big touchscreen is useless in my opinion!

LOL that is just a little close minded. How the hell is it useless???

MacFly123
Aug 23, 2007, 09:14 PM
The home button will prob be used for games and other applications. I don't see how they could have wifi on it, wifi = FCC approval, which is unlikely to happen before the end of september because the FCC would have leaked details by now.

Look on the back of any iPod thats out RIGHT NOW.... See that little FCC logo??? :rolleyes:

mambodancer
Aug 23, 2007, 09:16 PM
I'm tired of we, the consumers, arguing on behalf of the manufacturer for withholding features.
Apple has made it's mark in the past by being the company with the products that delivered the features you want, not finding reasons to withhold features.

I think we'll see wifi on the top of the line video iPod.
Why? Internet Radio. Internet Video. People are willing to pay for sirius - this is apples chance to obliterate that entire market by adding 1 feature - wifi.

For them to then withhold email, messaging & browsing - just because they can would make the iPod a rather mute part of the ever evolving wireless home/office/school environment.

You also have to consider that a wifi iPod hardly competes with a phone that requires a $2000 contract to function. And lots of people have other phones they are fine with.

It's very simple™

I agree. And why not add wifi and itunes to the iPod for wifi downloads directly to the iPod?

cleanup
Aug 23, 2007, 09:31 PM
Tasty. I love my nano, but it's running out of space. I'd go for a fullscreen iPod. And if it could surf the web, even better.

MacFly123
Aug 23, 2007, 09:32 PM
not bad at all...but I am thinking the home button may just be on the side and th unit may be all screen...also the lack of a button on the front leaves the room for powerful stereo speakers.

I would really like it if the new iPods have a small built in speaker like the iPhone. It's really nice for showing things to people without the headphones :D

zub3qin
Aug 23, 2007, 10:25 PM
PS - I know I just made some large generalisations there, but as such (generalisations), they are still true. I am not trying to say that all businesses in China are evil or bad or anything of the sort. I am sure there are many fine, honestly run operations and many moral upstanding citizens just like any other country.

It's important to note also that I am talking about Chinese business practices and the structure of Chinese law and society here, and *not* the Chinese as a people. I am not a racist, I have many Chinese friends and family members (although white myself), and this is not a racial issue. It's about how a country governs it's people and the law in that country only.

Paranoid much?

MacFly123
Aug 23, 2007, 11:50 PM
Here's What i think

iPod Shuffle
Flavors: Silver, Black, Light Green, Light Blue, Orange, and Cranberry/Wine Red(apart of Product Red)
Sizes: 1Gig($75) maybe a 2gig at 100(Probably Not)

iPod Nano:
Flavors: Silver, Black, Light Green, Light Blue, Orange, and Cranberry/Wine Red(Part of Product Red)
Sizes: 1Gig($100), 2Gig($125), 5Gig($175), 10Gig($225)

The All New iPod Mini:
Flavors: Silver, Black, Light Green, Light Blue, and Cranberry/Wine Red(Part of Product Red)
Additions: Video Playback
Sizes: 10Gig($225), 20Gig($275), 40Gig($325)

iPod Video
Flavors: White, Black, Silver
Additions: OS X, Some Wi-Fi Capabilities, Touch Screen
Sizes: 20Gig($300), 50Gig($375), 100Gig($450)

Is it just me... or do a lot of people in this thread not understand the way memory and storage come in certain increments?
2-4-8-16-32 etc. :rolleyes: That goes for hard drives too!

kuhvorreiber
Aug 24, 2007, 12:13 AM
Apple has to clearly differentiate the new "iPod Touch" from the iPhone. The iPhone will be the AIO device, whereas the iPod will remain a PMP, albeit with some added features. Furthermore, because the iPhone represents "the best iPod to date," the "iPod Touch has to one-up it. Therefore:

iPod Touch:
4 inch 4:3 touchscreen (bigger than iPhone and also create a physical difference between the two devices.)
no wifi
possible bluetooth (remote for Front Row)
HDD, probably 100GB
would retain approximate dimensions of 5G ipod (as opposed to iPhone, which is taller and thinner)
tactile buttons for home and no-hands music navigation on side
OSX
$400- one model

iPod:

the leaked pictures represent the 6G iPod
aluminum
shorter
increased storage
video playback
revised os, probably not osx
250-350
iPod nano:

no major changes
increased storage
new colors?
new os, not osx
100-200
iPod shuffle:
no changes (only so much time in a keynote)

hatcher146
Aug 24, 2007, 12:18 AM
all i am hoping for is a big touchscreen....and wifi for surfing....that would make my day so much better to pull out my iPod and search the web real quick....i really hope they put this in there...im doubting though. but yeah. touchscreen or im NOT buying.

korndog2003
Aug 24, 2007, 12:27 AM
Heres a mockup from thehotfix.net I did not make it, I hope it looks like this!

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a286/korndog2003/mockupgz8.jpg

retroneo
Aug 24, 2007, 01:39 AM

considering the 5G iPods can, it's safe to say the new ones will.

http://www.apple.com/ipod/specs.html

madmaxmedia
Aug 24, 2007, 01:42 AM
Sounds like the reasoning of John Scully again. I sware my theory of the bug in OS Leopard's Time Machine swapping the consciousness of John Scully and Steve Jobs is sounding more and more true every day.

"Let's cripple our bestselling device so it won't hypothetically (not in reality) harm sales of a product that will only sell 1/20th of what the bestseller does."

Yeah, that makes sense. :rolleyes:

It's not just a matter of crippling a product. I doubt Apple could make a $299 iPhone that had everything but the phone part, and have a 30GB HD (minus the AT&T revenue stream too.) The phone part doesn't actually cost that much compared to everything else in the iPhone.

I would probably guess that the iPod might run a slower CPU as well, if Safari and wifi are not in it.

Basically, I'll already be impressed as hell if Apple can do a fullscreen iPod with orientation sensor and touchscreen, running OS X with a 30GB HD for $299.

DonRivella
Aug 24, 2007, 02:49 AM
If the new high capacity iPod doesn't have tactile controls, a useful remote or some other way of operating it without looking at the screen I will not be interested.

illitrate23
Aug 24, 2007, 03:22 AM
I wonder what they do from 6to8

running like hell to keep away from Apple lawyers and their cease and desist orders :-)

that said, i'm kinda hoping these rumours of the new ipod are not true
cos if they are, i'm gonna have to get one cos it looks fantastic. and i can't afford it. and no doubt, it'll be available in the UK before the iPhone is. and then the iPhone'll come out and i'll have to get that. and then i'll need to carry both around in my pockets

JonfromVegas
Aug 24, 2007, 03:27 AM
It's not just a matter of crippling a product. I doubt Apple could make a $299 iPhone that had everything but the phone part, and have a 30GB HD (minus the AT&T revenue stream too.) The phone part doesn't actually cost that much compared to everything else in the iPhone.

I would probably guess that the iPod might run a slower CPU as well, if Safari and wifi are not in it.

Basically, I'll already be impressed as hell if Apple can do a fullscreen iPod with orientation sensor and touchscreen, running OS X with a 30GB HD for $299.

Flash memory is expensive. Replace the flash with a hard drive and take out the parts that make it a phone and that's the $100 difference right there (which on Apple's end is a lot less than $100 difference). They could easily do it for $299.

And as far as AT&T revenue goes... I'm not understanding how that comes into play. Are you suggesting that apple needs that money to not lose money on the iphone? Or that it somehow keeps the cost of the iphone down? I think its highly unlikely that that money affects production costs at all. Only microsoft would release a product that couldn't pay for itself.

robPOD
Aug 24, 2007, 04:58 AM
Well it will be most interesting to see what comes from all of this.

robPOD
Aug 24, 2007, 05:02 AM
here are my two entrys into the 9to5mac.com mockup competition to replicate a 6th gen

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1140/1220950088_7b3dcc11c9.jpg
http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1100/1220953964_7c16a7ca9e.jpg

http://www.flickr.com/photos/12069269@N06/1220950088/in/photostream/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/12069269@N06/1220953964/in/photostream/

what do you think?
on my flickr profile their are also gui mockups that i made

Post your own aswell

I hope they do release something like this becuase ive been wanting a touchscreen ipod ever since the rumors started like a year and a half ago .

Evangelion
Aug 24, 2007, 05:19 AM
here are my two entrys into the 9to5mac.com mockup competition to replicate a 6th gen

If you made those, why do you claim here (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=333656) that you "found them on flickr"? And those mockups of your (posted in flickr under "dawnraid101") are 100% identical to those earlier "6G iPod"-pictures you found in flickr (that were posted under "simonbullwinkle").

So there are two possibilities here:

a) You were flat-out lying when you said that "you found the images in flickr", since you were the one who made them.

b) You did indeed find those mockups in flickr, and you are now claiming that you made them, when indeed you did not.

Which of those two options is the right one? Were you lying earlier, or are you now ripping off someone else's work? Let's hear it.

robPOD
Aug 24, 2007, 05:25 AM
Yep I was flat out lying (A), If you want proof I have the half completed .psds

Evangelion
Aug 24, 2007, 05:27 AM
Yep I was flat out lying (A), If you want proof I have the half completed .psds

Lying is not nice, mmmmkay?

robPOD
Aug 24, 2007, 05:31 AM
soo its the internets. point taken
if you look on the flickr account or below you can see the images that are on the "ipods" screens in their full glory proving i made them okay?

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1100/1220953964_7c16a7ca9e.jpg
http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1373/1220096063_f54a2d6e38_o.jpg

MikeDTyke
Aug 24, 2007, 05:31 AM
I don't know why everyone keeps suggesting the new ipod needs Zune squirting. It's one of the most badly thought out concepts ever.

Apple already has a music sharing concept which they've already worked out the legal details on. It's iTunes sharing. Share a playlist, or your whole library. Then when two iPods are in wireless range, an adhoc wifi network is defined between them, bonjour finds the shared playlist and you can stream it from one ipod to another. The'll also provide airtunes so you can stream to an airport express, or browse the music from your pc and mac. Final clincher will be the ability whilst out and about to hear a tune, use ipod to sample it and search for it & buy on mobile iTMS. Okay i'm stretching the last one, but apple do have a patent for this type of technology, so may just be a matter of time.

Battery life will be consistent with the iPhone, as the device is thicker to accomodate the 1.8" drive, you'll have more room in the other half for a deeper battery.

M. :D

goosnarrggh
Aug 24, 2007, 07:03 AM
A hybrid HDD would work great when you're just listening to a playlist or an album where the machine can stream that much data into the buffer. If you constantly switch albums or songs, then the HDD will constantly have to refresh that buffer.

Anyone know if OS-X works with them? Last I heard, only Vista was designed to use them.

If you check Apple's support website, in the section dealing with maximizing the 5G iPod's battery life, you'll see that Apple already DOES use a RAM cache as a means of reducing HDD activity and thus improving battery life (previously in this thread it was claimed that the cache was being used strictly for skip prevention).

Specifically, they say that fast forwarding or skipping around your playlist too much hurts battery life. The Shuffle feature does not hurt battery life.

http://www.apple.com/batteries/ipods.html

toughboy
Aug 24, 2007, 07:32 AM
you guys are seriously delusional if you think the ipod will have wifi

And why is that???

jfmartin
Aug 24, 2007, 07:32 AM
Hi,

Saw the new posts in this forum and many are now talking about the return of the iPod mini in the lineup... makes sense... lots of sense.... we'll see the MacBook mini in the near future also... clean and well named product lines at Apple.

The nano needs to stay small with a screen... make it bigger a bit but this is the entry level iPod with a screen...

The iPod mini, need to make a transition between the current nanos and the futur iPod... I would make the iPod mini all flash based, very thin, 8, 16, 32 gigs of rams, big screen like the current 5.5 gen iPod...

And the iPod, the top of the line product, need to be OS X based like the iPhone... less the connectivity-network functionnality....

JF

cleanup
Aug 24, 2007, 07:41 AM
Is it just me... or do a lot of people in this thread not understand the way memory and storage come in certain increments?
2-4-8-16-32 etc. :rolleyes: That goes for hard drives too!

Very few iPods, namely the iPod nano and mini, have had the capacities you listed. There have been 5, 6, 10, 15, 20, 30, 40, 60, and 80GB iPods. But yeah, 50GB seems a little weird.

Orng
Aug 24, 2007, 07:47 AM
Whats the difference between flash and hard drive memory?

A Hard Drive is the familiar spinny disk in an enclosure, like the hard drive in a computer. It has moving parts, and therefore uses up batteries faster. This is what you find in the big video iPods.

Flash memory is "Solid State" which more or less means that it has no moving bits. This is what you'd find in one of those USB drives, and also in the Shuffle and Nano. It's much smaller and doesn't work the batteries too hard. Flash is more likely to survive a drop or a good soaking, as I've discovered firsthand.

Downside, it's much more expensive. This is one of the reasons why the 8 gig Nano and the 30 gig Video are the same price.

So when you see the occasional wistful predictions of a flash-based Macbook "Nano," they mean a macbook that is much thinner, with days of battery life, that you'll have to trade in your car for.

Personally I'd like to see a move to Crystal memory in iPods, where you take a big shard of crystal and slide it into a tube and bam, you can listen to the collective knowledge of the greatest scientists and philosophers of the planet Krypton while ghostly images of Jor-El spin through coverflow.

toughboy
Aug 24, 2007, 07:48 AM

If there is no web, no email and no IM (maybe I could live with no IM) I'm definately not going on that train :'(

gloss
Aug 24, 2007, 08:13 AM
Personally I'd like to see a move to Crystal memory in iPods, where you take a big shard of crystal and slide it into a tube and bam, you can listen to the collective knowledge of the greatest scientists and philosophers of the planet Krypton while ghostly images of Jor-El spin through coverflow.

Har har. :D

The Toon Master
Aug 24, 2007, 08:48 AM
Actaully, i think the iTunes Sharing Will Happen

Only thing is, when you update your iPod, all of that sharing goes away..

Taylor C
Aug 24, 2007, 08:53 AM
I believe the next big step for Apple in the music department is over-the-air downloads. iTunes on iPhone, and even iPod, would be a big success in my opinion. Especially when pitted against other competition in that vein of the music industry--Verizon V-Cast (lol), for instance.

uv23
Aug 24, 2007, 09:20 AM
The main thing I want to see is wireless syncing between iTunes and the iPod. This wire business is nonsense. Such a hassle plugging in my iPod every time I want to sync it. I hope Apple has the wisdom to not hold such a rudimentary feature back, just because of the iPhone.

AppleMatt389
Aug 24, 2007, 09:30 AM
i never actually considered wifi on the phone such a great option..but then i thought about it:

at uni..in library/lecture (:D) and i want to look at some website..bam pull out iPod.

like i take my ancient POS tibook to uni everyday just so i can check my 6 or so websites every day. i dont really need it for anything else.

a wifi enabled iPod would be a godsend..but also so highly unlikely. :(

these 9to5 mac crew cropping up all of a sudden seems strange. about as strange as this whole year of Apple Inc. has been. something about 2007 and Apple doesnt sit well with me. i dno why..disappointing announcements/iphone/leopard delay/imac. does anyone agree?

Taylor C
Aug 24, 2007, 09:35 AM
Disappointing? This has been an excellent year for Apple. The iPhone has been a big success, people love the new iMacs/iLife/iWork for the most part, and Apple is gaining market share like crazy.

JohnHummel
Aug 24, 2007, 09:35 AM
I believe the next big step for Apple in the music department is over-the-air downloads. iTunes on iPhone, and even iPod, would be a big success in my opinion. Especially when pitted against other competition in that vein of the music industry--Verizon V-Cast (lol), for instance.

I wouldn't have thought that, save for one recent thing: the ability to transfer purchased songs from the iPod back to your music library.

That would at least give the ability - some day in the future - to allow purchases via the iPhone/Wi-Fi enabled iPod and put them back into your library.