Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bdkennedy1

Suspended
Oct 24, 2002
Well, if it's thicker than the iPhone then it must have a 1.8" hard drive in it.

It totally don't see myself finger-banging my iPod, so I'm just going to stick with my click-wheel.

Quickdood

macrumors regular
Aug 17, 2007
I Doubt it

i think this home button can lead to speculation of it having wifi.

Whats the point of a home botton if it just plays music, video, and photos. you cant do two of those at the same time except photos and music but why add the home botton just for that.

wifi adds email, web browsing, ichat would be great...... maybe they didnt include an ichat like feature on the iphone becouse they are saving it for the wifi enabled ipod:)

i am very optomistic:D

The home button will prob be used for games and other applications. I don't see how they could have wifi on it, wifi = FCC approval, which is unlikely to happen before the end of september because the FCC would have leaked details by now.

network23

macrumors 6502
Dec 18, 2002
Illinois
I agree, I still like the tactile feeling of the buttons. Especially if I'm "eek" driving. I don't want to look at the iPod when I'm supposed to be concentrating on the road. Trying to fumble with it with both hands etc. I hope they don't get to futuristic that it'll kill the brand.

blad3z said:
or steve might do with the gestures and have it so slide ur finger right = next song left=last song u knw?

I think there's your answer right there. No silly circular "clickwheel" type interface on the screen taking up most of the space. No need for tactile buttons. With the gestures, all you need to do is be able to find the screen, then you just do your gesture to skip song, move forward/back, pause/play, whatever. Maybe some little icon that will bring up a display of the gestures available, and maybe a simple control scheme for when you are/can interact with the screen. But that would be the most usable or Apple-like solution.

And I've said it before. No wifi. Apple could have added wifi to the iPod long ago and chose not to. They don't see it as being a necessary feature. No wifi also keeps the valley between the iPod and iPhone sufficiently wide, making it easy to (1) pick one or the other or (2) justify both. In my case I'll buy both. My iPhone for when I don't need or want my entire library of songs, my iPod for trips or when I do want lots of music choice.

iSpud

macrumors member
Jan 16, 2004
Minnesota
Are you sure it needs wifi approval? That would mean the new Alu iMacs should have been leaked. I think you are confusing Wi-Fi with cell phone tech.

RichyHo

macrumors member
Feb 13, 2003
Rugby, UK
Glass and Alumin(i)um

I reckon glass front, black border, alumin(i)um edge and black back - just like new iMac. Would look nice IMHO.

homeboy

macrumors 6502
Aug 23, 2007
London
I reckon glass front, black border, alumin(i)um edge and black back - just like new iMac. Would look nice IMHO.

Alu edge seem most likely in order to protect the screen in case of a call. I wonder where this leave the good old white!!!!

plumbingandtech

macrumors 68000
Jun 20, 2007
Well, if it's thicker than the iPhone then it must have a 1.8" hard drive in it.

It totally don't see myself finger-banging my iPod, so I'm just going to stick with my click-wheel.

Or not.

For all we know the innards of this model (osx) is "bigger" (forcing the extra thickness and using flash) then the innards of the pixo models.

Time will tell.

Wayfarer

macrumors 65816
Jun 15, 2007
Anyone else getting fed up with all these recent oubursts of claims made by 9to5mac? :mad:

milo

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2003
I agree, I still like the tactile feeling of the buttons. Especially if I'm "eek" driving. I don't want to look at the iPod when I'm supposed to be concentrating on the road. Trying to fumble with it with both hands etc. I hope they don't get to futuristic that it'll kill the brand.

According to the article, there will be one or more touchscreen models, but still clickwheel models available. If you want "tactile" it just means you want one of the other models.

milo

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2003
Anyone else getting fed up with all these recent claims made by 9to5mac? :mad:

No. Although we'll be able to judge the rumors better once we know if they're true or false.

They're certainly going out on a limb. Once the real deal is announced their credibility will either be zero or extremely high.

macintel4me

macrumors 6502
Jan 11, 2006
Here it is, IMO....

iPod Shuffle ($50 - $100, buttons, Flash) = Music Player + Very Limited Capacity

iPod Nano ($150-$200, click-wheel, Flash) = Music Player + Limited Video Player + Limited Capacity

iPod Touch ($200-$250, multitouch-screen, Flash) = Music Player + Video Player + Limited Capacity

iPod Video ($250-$350, multitouch-screen, HDD) = Music Player + Video Player + Large Capacity

kugino

macrumors 65816
Jul 10, 2003

i want to say "no" on the glass screen and aluminum b/c of price, but with the big deal steve made about glass/aluminum during the imac unveiling, i think glass/aluminum is a strong possibility.

rbroady

macrumors regular
Jul 17, 2007
if no wifi

then what about bluetooth

bluetooth headphones would be awesome with an ipod

RichyHo

macrumors member
Feb 13, 2003
Rugby, UK
... with the big deal steve made about glass/aluminum during the imac unveiling, i think glass/aluminum is a strong possibility.

My thoughts exactly. Although does glass work from a touchy-touchy point of view? Is the iPhone's screen glass?

koobcamuk

macrumors 68040
Oct 23, 2006
No... finally we're getting some good rumours. Time will tell if they are accurate. They were right about the imacs but that could have been a good educated guess.

I agree. A rumor is nice.

Harping on about the iPhone all the time is boring. Often there can be truth to these, which makes it more interesting. I remember how many people claimed the keyboard I am now typing on was a fake...

zedsdead

macrumors 68040
Jun 20, 2007
Since they were right about the new iMacs, not really... :p New rumors are always welcome - in case you haven't noticed, it's what we like to discuss here. :cool:

They clearly ticked off apple legal didnt they? I have the feeling that they are dead on accurate...

The only real question is whether or not Apple will limit the capacity by implimenting flash memory.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.