PDA

View Full Version : Pixar and Disney might be breaking up!!

Mr. Anderson
Aug 8, 2003, 11:17 AM
Wow, this is huge.

http://money.cnn.com/2003/08/06/news/companies/pixar/index.htm?cnn=yes

Look at the money Pixar's been making and then the comments from Jobs....

"We've talked to many of these studios and we know we can get the deal we want," Jobs said.

agreenster
Aug 8, 2003, 11:49 AM
I think its a huge mistake if they split. I know Pixar is being all uppity and think they can make more money on their own or with a different distributor, but Im of the firm belief that:

IF IT AINT BROKE, DONT FIX IT.

Pixar has done nothing but succeed with Disney at their side, and now is not the time to be all arrogant about their success and not give any credit to Disney.

Come on Jobs, do the right thing.

Ambrose Chapel
Aug 8, 2003, 11:55 AM
i think this is just steve negotiating through the media, throwing a jab towards eisner to get him to make the deal they want. kind of like when a free agent ballplayer talks about getting not getting the max contract as disrespecting... ;)

Mr. Anderson
Aug 8, 2003, 11:55 AM
If you look at the numbers on their gross at the box office, its a nice climb ;)

I'm just wondering if this is all a tactic to get a better deal with Disney for the next round of movies. Scare them into making an offer better for Pixar.

D

idea_hamster
Aug 8, 2003, 12:25 PM
Ultimately, a deal like the one between Pixar and Disney has to reflect what the two parties bring to the movie making process. As I understand it, so far, Disney has brought two things: distribution and half the up-front production capital. The distribution they've been getting a flat fee for (makes sense to me) and return on their 1/2 investment has been a 1/2 cut of the profits (also makes sense to me).

Right now, Pixar is realizing that it no longer needs Disney's cash to make the films, and so may be looking for a distribution-only deal where Pixar alone finances the production costs.

That's fine -- and I think that Jobs is right that they can find someone who is willing to do fee-for-service distribution for them.

IMO, however, the question for Pixar is not
"Can you afford to produce your next film?"
but rather
"Can you afford to produce the next two films after the next one is only pretty good rather than a blockbuster hit"?

The last thing that Pixar wants to do is be the prodigal son hoping for Eisner to kill the fatted calf -- not likely.

Sayhey
Aug 8, 2003, 01:31 PM
I'm all for Pixar taking their talents elsewhere. The "Disneyfication" of the world needs to stop somewhere. Disney is as bad as Microsoft in their attempts to control everything. If Pixar does all the creative work, just why should they hand over half the profits to Disney?

chewbaccapits
Aug 8, 2003, 01:32 PM
Pixar needs to leave Disney....And BTW, being distributed by Disney is one thing much of the success comes from within Pixar talent

Abstract
Aug 8, 2003, 01:39 PM
For what they do, Disney only deserves to make around 25% to 33% of the profits, not half. Disney doesn't actually "do" that much for Pixar, anyway. Pixar is doing everything and carrying Disney in the process.

JesseJames
Aug 8, 2003, 01:41 PM
Go strike a deal with Universal Steve. Screw Disney, no one likes to do business with them and Eisner.

Jerry Spoon
Aug 8, 2003, 01:55 PM
Originally posted by agreenster
I think its a huge mistake if they split. I know Pixar is being all uppity and think they can make more money on their own or with a different distributor, but Im of the firm belief that:

IF IT AINT BROKE, DONT FIX IT.

Pixar has done nothing but succeed with Disney at their side, and now is not the time to be all arrogant about their success and not give any credit to Disney.

Come on Jobs, do the right thing.

Am I wrong in understanding that Pixar is doing the work here? Storyline? Animation? and Disney is distributing? I'm sure Disney was a nice name to throw on your movie title when Toy Story came out, but Pixar is a well known name when it comes to computer animated full length movies...plus you just add "from the makers of Finding Nemo..." and you've got recognition. The fact is that Pixar doesn't need Disney like they did before and there's no reason to split profits like they originally agreed to. I personally hope they keep their partnership, but rewrite the terms so it is much more beneficial towards Pixar. That's not being uppity. That's having good business sense.

agreenster
Originally posted by Abstract
For what they do, Disney only deserves to make around 25% to 33% of the profits, not half. Disney doesn't actually "do" that much for Pixar, anyway. Pixar is doing everything and carrying Disney in the process.

Nobody distributes like Disney

.....plus they supply most of the voice talent. (side note)

I agree that Pixar can fund their own future films, and should probably only look to Disney as distributors. Thats probably what will end up happening.

I do worry (like some of you have said) that Pixar has a big job ahead of them: outdoing themselves. They've managed to do it so far.....They have such a dynamite creative team and story writers--I wouldnt put it past them to blow Nemo away come 2004....

I just think Pixar is da shiznit.

wdlove
When it's Pixar that is doing the work, they deserve a better deal. Disney needs to share a little more of the profit!

Sayhey
Aug 8, 2003, 02:12 PM
...I just think Pixar is da shiznit.

Translation please, for those of us who are "yiddishly impaired." Or is shiznit an orginal agreenster production? :D

agreenster
Aug 8, 2003, 02:14 PM
/\
||
||
||
||
||

Sheesh! :rolleyes:

Mr. Anderson
Aug 8, 2003, 02:23 PM
Originally posted by Sayhey
Translation please, for those of us who are "yiddishly impaired." Or is shiznit an orginal agreenster production? :D

Ahahahah!

Well, I'm 'Doctor Teapot, Yo!'

Go check it out for yourself and become aware ;)

http://rumandmonkey.com/widgets/toys/ghetto/

Sayhey
Aug 8, 2003, 02:30 PM
Originally posted by Mr. Anderson
Ahahahah!

Damn, do I feel like the old white guy! LOL. Have to bookmark that website for future translations. And I thought Latin and Attic Greek were hard to understand!

Ass Machine Teapot, Yo! - hey, Mr. Anderson we must be related.

idea_hamster
Aug 8, 2003, 02:37 PM
If Pixar does all the creative work, just why should they hand over half the profits to Disney?
Originally posted by Abstract
Disney only deserves to make around 25% to 33% of the profits, not half
Profits are a function of finished product, not creativity, ideas, or just desserts. If two parties split the financial risk 50-50, then the profits should be split 50-50.

It might be true that all the creative work is being done by Pixar, suggesting that they are bringing more than 50% of the pre-distribution equation to the table. But if Disney is putting up big money for production and relying on Pixar's creativity, that means that Disney has less control and is therefore at greater risk in the deal and should probably be compensated for that risk.

If we have a reasoned basis for 25% or 33% (which is an *enormous* spread, BTW) then that would be an interesting post -- I'm always interested to hear good arguments why the creative side of the product deserves more!

medea
Aug 8, 2003, 02:42 PM
Ahahahah!

Looks like I'm Rock Hard Juice.....

As for Pixar and Disney, the two have had poor relations for some time now and Disney is making way too much of a profit from the venture so far, in my eyes they should move on to a new company with a better distribution deal, but it's very possible they are just pushing to get a better deal with Disney, which I doubt Disney will pass up.

Mr. Anderson
Aug 8, 2003, 02:50 PM
But it makes sense if you look at it as this is the end of the contract for 6 films and now those deals they had don't apply considering the obvious potential Pixar has for making money. Before Toy Story, Pixar didn't have the clout to make it all work, so they needed Disney.

A string of huge successes at the box office, name recognition and the end of the current contract make this an obvious turn of events.

Good for Pixar - and Disney won't pass up the money - I'll wager that Pixar stays with Disney.

D

iJon
Aug 8, 2003, 02:51 PM
this sounds like a bad idea. i walked through my mall and walked into the disney store and i saw walls of finding nemo fish and stuffed animals. EVERY kid wants to go into the disney store, were are the toys gonna end up now, just wal-mart.

iJon

agreenster
Aug 8, 2003, 03:24 PM
My ghetto name:

Boom Get Down

Thats right. Still da shiznit.

Sayhey
Aug 8, 2003, 03:32 PM
My ghetto name:

Boom Get Down

Thats right. Still da shiznit.

I'm still new to this - are hand gestures required along with shiznit or is that only for those of us who are definitely not da shiznit?

sincerely,
Ass Machine Teapot
(just Ass Machine to my friends) ;)

rainman::|:|
Aug 8, 2003, 04:45 PM
I'm still new to this - are hand gestures required along with shiznit or is that only for those of us who are definitely not da shiznit?

sincerely,
Ass Machine Teapot
(just Ass Machine to my friends) ;)

"Sayhey"...

is that like the san francisco version of SoHo?

pnw

MrMacMan
Aug 8, 2003, 05:11 PM
Look, I think Disney is getting a little too much right now, but that apple should abandon Disney altogether.

Pixar should be getting atleast 75% of the profits and fork over its own cash... They don't take Triple digits to finance, which Pixar has anyway... :p

Ambrose Chapel
Aug 8, 2003, 05:14 PM
has disney had any recent big hits that weren't pixar films? i don't keep up on disney releases, but none stand out..i think they need pixar more than vice-versa, and will probably pay up to keep them

-Fallopian teapot, Yo

(is that supposed to be some kind of reference to sexual prowess, or something?)
;) ;) ;)

Sayhey
Aug 8, 2003, 05:25 PM
Originally posted by paulwhannel
"Sayhey"...

is that like the san francisco version of SoHo?

pnw

Actually, the New York nickname of Willie Mays. Shows my age. :cool:

Yours truly,
Ass Machine

3rdpath
Aug 8, 2003, 08:54 PM
why does everyone else get a neat ghetto name and all i get is " harry kool". sounds like a clint eastwood character.

well on topic....eisner just can't make a decent decision because his ego is uncontrollable...so i don't have much hope that he'll cut a better deal for pixar-which is what he should do. if pixar bolts, whoever they join( and skg would just love to do it as a big F.U. to eisner) will make them a lot of $$$.

eisner ought to be mindful of job's foresite..in a decade it may be pixar making a bid for disney...

iAlan
Aug 8, 2003, 10:03 PM
I am no Disney fan. however, are we sure all the creative energy is coming from Pixar. Sure the animators are putting alot of blood sweat and tears into the work, but are the concepts coming from Pixar or Disney. Who is coming up with the storylines, voice talent, etc. I can't beleive Pixar and Disney are not woring hand in hand on the concepts, Disney has too much history in animation to be ignored. Not to mention the merchandising chain, etc.

Disney ain't a great company - but they are good at what they do. Don't shoot yourselves in the foot if the gun is being held by two different hands.

bennetsaysargh
Aug 8, 2003, 10:24 PM
Ahahahah!

Ass Machine Teapot, Yo
that's me. well it could have been a little cooler, but it's still funny:p

on topic, i think people thought that disney was a big part of poduction in toy story and other pixars because it said disney and pizar. pixar doesn't need disney to help fund, but if they run out of money, they will look foolish to any company for leaving disn;'ey and not being able to make it on thier own. there is only a slight chance of matching the success of nemo, so there isn;t really anywhere higher to go from right now.

bottom line. they need to stya with disney because if they flop with thier next movie, they won;'t have any money to mae a nother movie to get them money. i'm not saying pixar's next movie will flop, but there is a chance of it happening down the line.

3rdpath
Aug 8, 2003, 10:38 PM
Originally posted by bennetsaysargh

bottom line. they need to stya with disney because if they flop with thier next movie, they won;'t have any money to mae a nother movie to get them money.

believe me, if pixar goes indie, they won't use substantial amounts of their own money to make their movies....that's what executive producers are for.

Mr. Anderson
Aug 8, 2003, 11:32 PM
They won't go indie - they're too big for that. 300 million+ and counting on Nemo ;)

They're in the right seat for bargaining so Jobs is using it....

D

job
Aug 9, 2003, 12:04 AM
Ahahahah!

Well, now taking this completely off-topic, I'm apparently:

*Fellatio Wack*

Ohhh....goosebumps...

Re Pixar and Disney: Isn't their film contract almost over anyways?

LethalWolfe
Aug 9, 2003, 12:07 AM
Originally posted by iJon
this sounds like a bad idea. i walked through my mall and walked into the disney store and i saw walls of finding nemo fish and stuffed animals. EVERY kid wants to go into the disney store, were are the toys gonna end up now, just wal-mart.

iJon

What store gets more foot traffic, Disney or Wal-Mart? ;)

my Ghetto name is...

Ass Machine Ice!?1 :mad: WTF?:p

Lethal

iAlan
Aug 9, 2003, 08:57 AM
Well, as the topis is bouncing between Pixar/Disney and Ghetto Names, mine is...

Fallopian Shizzlemah.

Cool.

Steve Jobs is ... Wankmaster Lobos
The next possible Califirnia Gov Swar-chan (As Arnold is called here in Japan)...Toilet Duq Weed

Pixar needs someone to distribute. Disney (hate hate hate) is a good choice, just get a better deal for Pixar out of it.

question fear
Aug 9, 2003, 01:46 PM
Damn, do I feel like the old white guy! LOL. Have to bookmark that website for future translations. And I thought Latin and Attic Greek were hard to understand!

Ass Machine Teapot, Yo! - hey, Mr. Anderson we must be related.

I think we are all cousins, as I am rectal teapot, yo.
well, at least i will get street cred with the 12-14 yr old boy ghetto crowd...
--carly (rectal teapot, yo!)

Jerry Spoon
Aug 9, 2003, 09:23 PM
Originally posted by Ambrose Chapel
has disney had any recent big hits that weren't pixar films?

Lilo and Stitch was a moderate success. This Brother Bear movie coming out next looks like it could do well. Has kind of a Lion King type feel to me.

MrMacMan
Aug 9, 2003, 09:44 PM
Ghetto name:
Rectal B

On topic:
If pixar leaves, which I dont care either way, they just want more $$.

Pixar, make a move that takes thought.

pseudobrit
Aug 9, 2003, 09:47 PM
Originally posted by iJon

iJon

That's what I'd be worried about. Disney brings a huge presence to the market, moreso than any other distributor, they are almost exclusive in how aggressive they are in getting Disney products floor space in retail environments.

I used to be a manager in a retail environment many years ago and I can tell you the Disney reps were the most consistantly insistant folks to deal with. Most other reps never even bothered to show up, and if they did, didn't seem to care about their job.

Add to that the huge profits to be had from merchandising (Pixar does get a cut of that, don't they?) and this might be a dangerous move indeed.

I think what's best is a more equitable profit-sharing deal between Pixar and Disney. That or perhaps Pixar expands and starts selling movie deals to others on the side.