Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

3rdpath

macrumors 68000
why does everyone else get a neat ghetto name and all i get is " harry kool". sounds like a clint eastwood character.

well on topic....eisner just can't make a decent decision because his ego is uncontrollable...so i don't have much hope that he'll cut a better deal for pixar-which is what he should do. if pixar bolts, whoever they join( and skg would just love to do it as a big F.U. to eisner) will make them a lot of $$$.

eisner ought to be mindful of job's foresite..in a decade it may be pixar making a bid for disney...

iAlan

macrumors 65816
Dec 11, 2002
I am no Disney fan. however, are we sure all the creative energy is coming from Pixar. Sure the animators are putting alot of blood sweat and tears into the work, but are the concepts coming from Pixar or Disney. Who is coming up with the storylines, voice talent, etc. I can't beleive Pixar and Disney are not woring hand in hand on the concepts, Disney has too much history in animation to be ignored. Not to mention the merchandising chain, etc.

Disney ain't a great company - but they are good at what they do. Don't shoot yourselves in the foot if the gun is being held by two different hands.

bennetsaysargh

macrumors 68020
Jan 20, 2003
New York
Originally posted by Mr. Anderson
Ahahahah!

Well, I'm 'Doctor Teapot, Yo!'

Go check it out for yourself and become aware ;)

http://rumandmonkey.com/widgets/toys/ghetto/

Ass Machine Teapot, Yo
that's me. well it could have been a little cooler, but it's still funny:p

on topic, i think people thought that disney was a big part of poduction in toy story and other pixars because it said disney and pizar. pixar doesn't need disney to help fund, but if they run out of money, they will look foolish to any company for leaving disn;'ey and not being able to make it on thier own. there is only a slight chance of matching the success of nemo, so there isn;t really anywhere higher to go from right now.

bottom line. they need to stya with disney because if they flop with thier next movie, they won;'t have any money to mae a nother movie to get them money. i'm not saying pixar's next movie will flop, but there is a chance of it happening down the line.

3rdpath

macrumors 68000
Originally posted by bennetsaysargh

bottom line. they need to stya with disney because if they flop with thier next movie, they won;'t have any money to mae a nother movie to get them money.

believe me, if pixar goes indie, they won't use substantial amounts of their own money to make their movies....that's what executive producers are for.

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Nov 1, 2001
VA
They won't go indie - they're too big for that. 300 million+ and counting on Nemo ;)

They're in the right seat for bargaining so Jobs is using it....

D

LethalWolfe

macrumors G3
Jan 11, 2002
Los Angeles
Originally posted by iJon
this sounds like a bad idea. i walked through my mall and walked into the disney store and i saw walls of finding nemo fish and stuffed animals. EVERY kid wants to go into the disney store, were are the toys gonna end up now, just wal-mart.

iJon

What store gets more foot traffic, Disney or Wal-Mart? ;)

my Ghetto name is...

Ass Machine Ice!?1 :mad: WTF?:p

Lethal

iAlan

macrumors 65816
Dec 11, 2002
Well, as the topis is bouncing between Pixar/Disney and Ghetto Names, mine is...

Fallopian Shizzlemah.

Cool.

Steve Jobs is ... Wankmaster Lobos
The next possible Califirnia Gov Swar-chan (As Arnold is called here in Japan)...Toilet Duq Weed

Pixar needs someone to distribute. Disney (hate hate hate) is a good choice, just get a better deal for Pixar out of it.

question fear

macrumors 68020
Apr 10, 2003
The "Garden" state
Originally posted by Sayhey
Damn, do I feel like the old white guy! LOL. Have to bookmark that website for future translations. And I thought Latin and Attic Greek were hard to understand!

Ass Machine Teapot, Yo! - hey, Mr. Anderson we must be related.

I think we are all cousins, as I am rectal teapot, yo.
well, at least i will get street cred with the 12-14 yr old boy ghetto crowd...
--carly (rectal teapot, yo!)

Jerry Spoon

macrumors 6502a
Jan 8, 2002
Historic St. Charles
Originally posted by Ambrose Chapel
has disney had any recent big hits that weren't pixar films?

Lilo and Stitch was a moderate success. This Brother Bear movie coming out next looks like it could do well. Has kind of a Lion King type feel to me.

pseudobrit

macrumors 68040
Jul 23, 2002
Jobs' Spare Liver Jar
Originally posted by iJon
this sounds like a bad idea. i walked through my mall and walked into the disney store and i saw walls of finding nemo fish and stuffed animals. EVERY kid wants to go into the disney store, were are the toys gonna end up now, just wal-mart.

iJon

That's what I'd be worried about. Disney brings a huge presence to the market, moreso than any other distributor, they are almost exclusive in how aggressive they are in getting Disney products floor space in retail environments.

I used to be a manager in a retail environment many years ago and I can tell you the Disney reps were the most consistantly insistant folks to deal with. Most other reps never even bothered to show up, and if they did, didn't seem to care about their job.

Add to that the huge profits to be had from merchandising (Pixar does get a cut of that, don't they?) and this might be a dangerous move indeed.

I think what's best is a more equitable profit-sharing deal between Pixar and Disney. That or perhaps Pixar expands and starts selling movie deals to others on the side.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.