PDA

View Full Version : iPod Nano Interface Screenshots: Events and Cover Flow

MacRumors
Sep 4, 2007, 10:23 PM
http://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com)

ThinkSecret has updated (http://www.thinksecret.com/news/0709preipod.html) their story which claims that a hard-drive based "touch-screen iPod" will take center stage tomorrow.

They also now reveal details about the iPod Nano, which is said to have a higher resolution display (320x240) with Flash-based capacities to top out at 12GB or 16GB.

They provide screenshots from the user interface videos, along with captures that were not previous released depicting Events (http://thinksecret.com/archives/ipodinterface/web/source/events.html) and Cover Flow (http://thinksecret.com/archives/ipodinterface/web/source/coverflow.html).

The screenshots are sourced from the same set of videos (http://www.macrumors.com/2007/07/21/6g-ipod-user-interface-redesign-and-videos/) that were leaked and later pulled in July.

Article Link (http://www.macrumors.com/2007/09/04/ipod-nano-interface-screenshots-events-and-cover-flow/)

shuffle1
Sep 4, 2007, 10:25 PM
..count me in! I wonder if the Nanos will play video...

shuffle1

DMann
Sep 4, 2007, 10:26 PM
Nano iPhone by Christmas.....

AoWolf
Sep 4, 2007, 10:29 PM
..count me in! I wonder if the Nanos will play video...

shuffle1

I guess we will know tomorrow for sure I expect allot out of this generation they have had a year to work on it. I wonder if apple will try to one up the competitions players (features wise) or just build on what they already have.

twoodcc
Sep 4, 2007, 10:30 PM
Nano iPhone by Christmas.....

probably.

but yeah, i'm know i'm gonna want one of these.....

wakerider017
I knew the iPod touch would use a Hard Drive...

Flash did not make sense...

bretm
I still don't understand why the digital clock says 5:55 and the analog clock clearly reads 4:55. That just seems like a bad mockup and not a screen shot of an actual working program. I mean, when an analog clock is almost at 6:00, the little hand almost is on the 6, not directly on the 5.

There are a number of issues with these videos. But they really do seem apple like and appropriate for a smaller screen. I just don't get why there are so many issues with them.

iliketomac
Sep 4, 2007, 10:32 PM
Can't wait to see them! BUT I'm wondering if all my accessories and sound dock will still fit and work with the new nanos?? please please do... I'd hate to spend more $$ on new attachments, etc...

OrangeCuse44
Sep 4, 2007, 10:36 PM
i like.

gusapple
Ha ha, I have a friend who is gonna buy a Nano, he will FREAK at the sight of these UI photos!

EaZy Corp
:eek: I KNEW IT :eek:
Ive been waiting for this since December of 2006. Now we get to fully experience videos in a full wide screen environment...I hope iPod looks like the iphone.

bretm
Sep 4, 2007, 10:41 PM
Ive been waiting for this since December of 2006. Now we get to fully experience videos in a full wide screen environment...I hope iPod looks like the iphone.

320x240 is not widescreen. Although I assume the ipod touch will be widescreen, just not actual 16:9. Same as iphone.

Eduardo1971
Sep 4, 2007, 10:41 PM
Came across the alleged screenshots several hours ago on thinksecret.com.

Very nice, if they are indeed, the real thing.

If this new iPod comes with at least 100GB; I might just *finally** buy my first ever iPod!:eek:

ezekielrage_99
Sep 4, 2007, 10:57 PM
I knew the iPod touch would use a Hard Drive...

Flash did not make sense...

That's what I've been saying as well, flash iPods would be too expensive and still compete with the current iPhones.

HDD Touch iPods would pwn, if they are released tomorrow I'll be buying one.

Bubbasteve
Sep 4, 2007, 10:57 PM
When I heard about the "Events" category in the new Interface I thought that would be a new "view" in iTunes where you could set up an "Event" for each one of your Artists and personalize it with a custom picture of the band and inside would obviously be their songs (you could even go into another folder divided into their respected albums but I guess that would be TOO organized and all and all too much clicking)

I'm interested in seeing the new interface in person rather than picture stills -- with that being said I can hardly wait for tomorrow's event!

Teh Don Ditty
Sep 4, 2007, 11:03 PM
Looking good. I'll be buying the new nano as long as... a) The size is between 12 or 16 GB, b) The price isn't redonkulous, c) They don't come in those horrific colors that were leaked (I so wanted a Blue Nano for the longest, but I had no need for it)

music.addict411
Sep 4, 2007, 11:09 PM
hwey guys I have the first leaked nano image with all the different colours on this video here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BJGxdA4-a2k

bigbossbmb
Sep 4, 2007, 11:11 PM

holding the iPod sideways doesn't make it "widescreen"... the iPhone is not widescreen, it is still standard 4:3.

if it has wifi, count me in... if it doesn't, then it's a distant maybe...

jer446
Sep 4, 2007, 11:15 PM
if it has wifi, the possibilities are endless.. then people would hack it to have aim, skype, and everything else.. i never needed an ipod.. but if it is 100 gb with wifi.. i think im in..

nemaslov
Sep 4, 2007, 11:26 PM
120 or 160GB then peace will exist!

freeny
Sep 4, 2007, 11:28 PM
Oh crap! going to get my wallet AGAIN....

Mgkwho
Sep 4, 2007, 11:32 PM
I hope so. Their iPod rumors are always realistic. Unlike everyone else's speculations.

-=|Mgkwho

zap2
Sep 4, 2007, 11:33 PM
Alright!

I'm ready, lets see what Apple got!

motulist
Sep 4, 2007, 11:34 PM
hwey guys I have the first leaked nano image with all the different colours on this video here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BJGxdA4-a2k

Most pointless use of video ever. It's just a video of 2 pictures.

furious
Sep 4, 2007, 11:39 PM
What prices are people expecting

CaptSaltyJack
Sep 4, 2007, 11:50 PM
Wait wait.. let me just say this: if the new iPod can sync Events from iPhoto.. then we iPhone users had better get a firmware update tomorrow that lets us do it too! Currently we are stuck syncing only Albums, which are now semi-sorta-obsolete. A real bummer.

levitynyc
Sep 4, 2007, 11:50 PM
I will buy this item IMMEDIATELY if it comes with a >60GB HD

EricNau
Sep 4, 2007, 11:57 PM
So, if the iPod Hi-Fi is eliminated, should we expect a (hopefully cheaper) replacement?

Mammoth
Sep 4, 2007, 11:59 PM
Most pointless use of video ever. It's just a video of 2 pictures.

Ah who cares, this is the first time I actually saw the original pictures. :p

Now for these screens.. I'm wondering how well this will work on such a small screen, but it's nice to see a change and I'm sure you can disable it. The large iPod is what I'm really waiting for. For me to actually buy one immediately it must have a larger, wider display, a larger hard drive, (At least 40GB) and hopefully internet access.

utilizer
Sep 5, 2007, 12:01 AM
I would buy this item immediately only if the Wi-Fi functionality isn't hamstrung, meaning I can't surf the web from the iPodtouch device. To come up with some sort of technology that allows users to "share songs" or "listen to Internet Radio streams" is at best mediocre. The touch functionality is fine, but for what it's worth, if the Wi-Fi doesn't allow you surf the Internet, well the Apple-AT&T deal is sweet for both corporations, not the consumer.

I'll wait for 3G iPhone to hit or when Research In Motion releases the first 3G BlackBerry available on AT&T. I currently have the 8700c and it does just about anything I need it for albeit on a slow EDGE network. I paid $250 for it and simply couldn't justify spending 600 big ones on the iPhone. I have a 4th Gen iPod Photo that has been put through hell but is still thankfully ticking with no signs of a weakening battery. But diatribes aside, iPodtouch + Wi-Fi gateway to Internet = EXTREMELY GOOD NEWS! :D

bretm
Sep 5, 2007, 12:03 AM
holding the iPod sideways doesn't make it "widescreen"... the iPhone is not widescreen, it is still standard 4:3.

Errr... no. When turned on it's side, the ipod is wide screen. Not 16:9, but widescreen nonetheless. It's actually 13.5:9. A 1.5 aspect ratio. Standard 4:3 is a 1.333 aspect ratio. Plus, double click on a cropped 16:9 vid and it will shrink ever so slightly to letterbox it as 16:9. On a tiny 4:3 screen that would be a pretty extreme letterbox.

bretm
Sep 5, 2007, 12:06 AM
I would buy this item immediately only if the Wi-Fi functionality isn't hamstrung, meaning I can't surf the web from the iPodtouch device. To come up with some sort of technology that allows users to "share songs" or "listen to Internet Radio streams" is at best mediocre. The touch functionality is fine, but for what it's worth, if the Wi-Fi doesn't allow you surf the Internet, well the Apple-AT&T deal is sweet for both corporations, not the consumer.

I'll wait for 3G iPhone to hit or when Research In Motion releases the first 3G BlackBerry available on AT&T. I currently have the 8700c and it does just about anything I need it for albeit on a slow EDGE network. I paid $250 for it and simply couldn't justify spending 600 big ones on the iPhone. I have a 4th Gen iPod Photo that has been put through hell but is still thankfully ticking with no signs of a weakening battery. But diatribes aside, iPodtouch + Wi-Fi gateway to Internet = EXTREMELY GOOD NEWS! :D

Why on earth would you think the wifi wouldn't allow you to surf the internet? Only edge and 3G require a cell phone connection. Not wifi. And even the iPhone lets you use wifi without cell connectivity.

DaftUnion
Sep 5, 2007, 12:13 AM
Can't wait to see what's released tomorrow.

mrchainsaw5757
Sep 5, 2007, 12:18 AM
you guys just need to relax and wait 12 hours. jesus

levitynyc
Sep 5, 2007, 12:22 AM
What time is the conference?

ezekielrage_99
Sep 5, 2007, 12:23 AM
So, if the iPod Hi-Fi is eliminated, should we expect a (hopefully cheaper) replacement?

I would hope/expect an iPod HiFi update if this is going to be an iPod dominated event.

bloodycape
Sep 5, 2007, 12:29 AM
Comon apple will not make their device top out at 12gigs, considering Creative has two players out with 16gig(and one of them even has a SDHC slot) one going for around $250 and one with the SDHC slot 300 for the 16gig. Then there is Cowon which has the iAudio6 at 16gigs for about $250 also. All of them do video(in some divx/xvid format) and have FM radio. So 12gig maybe an option, but 16gig will be the max.

CalBoy
Sep 5, 2007, 12:50 AM
Comon apple will not make their device top out at 12gigs, considering Creative has two players out with 16gig(and one of them even has a SDHC slot) one going for around $250 and one with the SDHC slot 300 for the 16gig. Then there is Cowon which has the iAudio6 at 16gigs for about $250 also.

Isn't the rumor that the Nano will top out at either 12GB or 16GB? Who said all iPods would top out at 12GB? Unless you mean only the Nanos. I think a limit of 12GB is perfectly reasonable; if it gets too large in capacity, the line between Nano and regular become blurred.

All of them do video(in some divx/xvid format) and have FM radio. So 12gig maybe an option, but 16gig will be the max.

No one cares about radios. I'm amazed that other companies waste the time and space putting them into their MP3 players.

christall109
Sep 5, 2007, 12:52 AM
What is the possibility of Wifi support? I've heard its a major probability...but like this article says take it with a grain of sand?

seems lie 50/50

I definitely think the all allusive iPhone update will come out tomorrow (Voice activiated Dialing and iPhoto Events and maybe some form of iChat).

P.S. - I played with an iPhone today at the mall..very nice!! (as borat would say)...I'm so thankful that my verizon contract is up and that I can afford to buy such a cool thing because I'm young and don't have college to worry about just yet and no bills!!

Davowade
Sep 5, 2007, 01:08 AM
Ok, just heard a rumor from a guy from an apple store in Melbourne that an apple shipment is sitting constrained (not too sure of the exact meaning, but I can sure guess) at the docks in australia.

My loins are moist with excitement.

Anyone point me towards a countdown for the event? Global time zones confuse me.

TheAnswer
Sep 5, 2007, 01:13 AM
Anyone point me towards a countdown for the event? Global time zones confuse me.

You'll find one here (http://www.macrumors.com/). :D

ABM
Sep 5, 2007, 01:15 AM
What time is the conference?

10am local time

Davowade
Sep 5, 2007, 01:16 AM
You'll find one here (http://www.macrumors.com/). :D

I am sure that wasn't there the last 15 times I visited the main page in the past hour :D

Thanks for that, 3am my time. *Sets alarm clock*

geckoseiya
Sep 5, 2007, 01:19 AM
new screenshots found here: http://pujutengineered.blogspot.com/2007/09/new-apple-ipod-rumor-touchscreen-ipod.html

dontmatter
Sep 5, 2007, 01:23 AM
Touchscreens and coverflow seem like quite nice ways of navigating an ipod, but I just hope it's not to the exclusion of clickwheels and menus. I just can't see how the efficiency of the current system could be beat, at least with these schemes. Anybody with a 4 gig nano and a 4 gig iphone able to comment?

Bern
Sep 5, 2007, 01:24 AM
If a touch screen iPod is released and it's not more than the current line of iPods with video then I'll be buying one.

I'm a gadget freak what can I say :D

nlivo
Sep 5, 2007, 01:53 AM
i have to have the best so i just sold me 5th gen iPod and i'll be getting the touchscreen one soon.

fastbite
Sep 5, 2007, 01:56 AM
The big dilemma for me an others, at least in the UK, will be: should we wait for the iPhone or buy the new 'rumored' iPod Touch???

AppleMatt389
Sep 5, 2007, 02:00 AM
id love to see any other companie's media event to have so many rumours and speculations about it.

btw..just heard that apple is delaying the media event..due to resources being devoted to the iphone. :rolleyes:

ABM
Sep 5, 2007, 02:00 AM
The big dilemma for me an others, at least in the UK, will be: should we wait for the iPhone or buy the new 'rumored' iPod Touch???

I hope we'll get all infos today...

DaftUnion
Sep 5, 2007, 02:17 AM
That interface looks great! It's great to see that the iPod and iPhone should be pretty comparible minus the phone feature obviously.

geckoseiya
Sep 5, 2007, 02:43 AM
hopefully it's true. Gonna grab one for myself.

Piarco
Sep 5, 2007, 02:43 AM
I'm still concinced that if the iPod does have wifi it will be for syncing and mobile store only. Anything more enters iPhone territory and will eat up customers who would have bought both. I know I'd think twice before buying an iPhone if the new iPod had full net access...

Spanna
Sep 5, 2007, 02:48 AM
If this new ipod nano has the same size screen as the 5.5g ipod I wonder if you will be able to hack the new user interface to work on the 5th generation ipod. Maybe apple will even let you upgrade your old ipod, (i doubt it)

MacSA
Sep 5, 2007, 02:52 AM
Something to remember people, I don't think there has been an Apple event where the pre event hype, speculation and rumour has been met or exceeded with what has actually been released.

Wild-Bill
Sep 5, 2007, 03:11 AM
Something to remember people, I don't think there has been an Apple event where the pre event hype, speculation and rumour has been met or exceeded with what has actually been released.

Especially this year.....

utilizer
Sep 5, 2007, 08:01 AM
Why on earth would you think the wifi wouldn't allow you to surf the internet? Only edge and 3G require a cell phone connection. Not wifi. And even the iPhone lets you use wifi without cell connectivity.

It is quite possible that the new iPod will not include a mobile version of Safari, which would then render the device incapable of running the Internet. So therefore, I wouldn't put past Apple to make a move like this to move more folks to the iPhone than anything else.

Data
Sep 5, 2007, 08:16 AM
I was just wondering is there an icaht room for macrumors aswell , or a room where people chat during the event ?

Porchland
Sep 5, 2007, 08:17 AM
My loins are moist with excitement.

Euwww!!

Porchland
Sep 5, 2007, 08:20 AM

Watching The Beatles show up on Steve's iPod but slip through announcement after announcement reminds me of Rocky and Bullwinkle. "Again!"

MacSA
Sep 5, 2007, 08:24 AM
Who knows, we might be surprised this time lol

thats nice
Sep 5, 2007, 08:33 AM
Very close now! :rolleyes:

juicebox1
Sep 5, 2007, 08:45 AM
Forgive me if this has been discussed over and over, but...

will these be in stores today?

rodiak
Sep 5, 2007, 08:49 AM
Forgive me if this has been discussed over and over, but...

will these be in stores today?

There is a high chance that they will but no one knows for sure yet. We'll have to wait until the event kicks off in few hours...

Scarpad
Sep 5, 2007, 08:49 AM
I would buy one if , as an Apple TV Owner I could take my encoded Content, and play it on the New Ipod's , But the current Ipod's force me to encode to lower standards , so I basically have to keep two versions of the Same file. This looks no different

marco114
Sep 5, 2007, 09:01 AM
I am truly thinking Apple will release the new full size iPod as basically the iPhone with the Phone removed. This way, their resources will be smaller and costs kept down.

It would still run on OS X and have WIFI Internet, Bluetooth, etc. Safari, etc. Now, I'd buy that and I'd pay up to $349 for it.

No need for a phone, got one of those!

princealfie
Sep 5, 2007, 09:07 AM
I am truly thinking Apple will release the new full size iPod as basically the iPhone with the Phone removed. This way, their resources will be smaller and costs kept down.

It would still run on OS X and have WIFI Internet, Bluetooth, etc. Safari, etc. Now, I'd buy that and I'd pay up to $349 for it.

No need for a phone, got one of those!

or get both of them.

raykhrud
Sep 5, 2007, 09:11 AM
Ok, ok, I will buy new touch-scren iPod. But only if it works with a remote.

mithykal
Sep 5, 2007, 09:11 AM
I know this isnt exactly breaking news, but I just thought id point out that the following major retailers in the UK are out of stock for some of the 5G iPods

Dixons- out of stock
30GB White (http://www.dixons.co.uk/martprd/store/dix_page.jsp?BV_SessionID=@@@@0521605278.1189000735@@@@&BV_EngineID=ccgeaddllllljkmcflgceggdhhmdgmj.0&page=Product&fm=null&sm=null&tm=null&sku=854551&category_oid=)
80GB White (http://www.dixons.co.uk/martprd/store/dix_page.jsp?BV_SessionID=@@@@0521605278.1189000735@@@@&BV_EngineID=ccgeaddllllljkmcflgceggdhhmdgmj.0&page=Product&fm=null&sm=null&tm=null&sku=904729&category_oid=)
30GB Black (http://www.dixons.co.uk/martprd/store/dix_page.jsp?BV_SessionID=@@@@0521605278.1189000735@@@@&BV_EngineID=ccgeaddllllljkmcflgceggdhhmdgmj.0&page=Product&fm=null&sm=null&tm=null&sku=671386&category_oid=)
80GB Black (http://www.dixons.co.uk/martprd/store/dix_page.jsp?BV_SessionID=@@@@0521605278.1189000735@@@@&BV_EngineID=ccgeaddllllljkmcflgceggdhhmdgmj.0&page=Product&fm=null&sm=null&tm=null&sku=138226&category_oid=)

Comet
Just the 80GB Black

Currys
All out of stock

Unspeaked
Sep 5, 2007, 09:19 AM

You and me both, and probably many others...

gauriemma
Sep 5, 2007, 09:35 AM
No one cares about radios.

I guess I'm no one, then. Because there have been many times when—despite 80 Gigs of MP3 goodness—I just want to check out a radio program on the commute home from work. And no, that radio remote thing doesn't cut it...

bytesarejumping
Sep 5, 2007, 09:37 AM
Wait a minute... RADIOHEAD???!!!

SactoGuy18
Sep 5, 2007, 09:38 AM
By the way, if that website's depiction of the new iPod nano interface is correct, I like it! :D If they price the 16 GB nano at $249 I'm trading in my 2G nano (4 GB) for this new one in no time flat. http://www.websmileys.com/sm/fingers/fing39.gif

ascender
Sep 5, 2007, 09:40 AM
I think the problem is that since the iPhone was launched, we don't really know what the plans are for the iPod. Are they going to keep the product lines separate in terms of feature-sets or will there be some crossover? I'm guessing crossover but then its a case of how much.

huntercr
Sep 5, 2007, 10:34 AM
I think there will not be an ipod touch released today. Why? No live Apple coverage. Do you really think Apple would not cover their own event for something so revolutionary?

I think this is the beatles and the flash based ipod (I'm not calling it a nano) and that's it.

Paul McCartney is rumored to be in SF by the local radio stations, BTW

morespce54
Sep 5, 2007, 10:42 AM
Enough already!!!
I want the event to start...now! ;)

bloodycape
Sep 5, 2007, 01:41 PM
No one cares about radios. I'm amazed that other companies waste the time and space putting them into their MP3 players.

Maybe not you, but I do find the radio useful. There are some FM talk shows that I like and I know a few other people like also. Not to mention if you are at the gym and want to watch was is on the tv instead of your music.