Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

CaptSaltyJack

macrumors 6502
Jun 28, 2007
Wait wait.. let me just say this: if the new iPod can sync Events from iPhoto.. then we iPhone users had better get a firmware update tomorrow that lets us do it too! Currently we are stuck syncing only Albums, which are now semi-sorta-obsolete. A real bummer.

Mammoth

macrumors 6502a
Nov 29, 2005
Canada
Most pointless use of video ever. It's just a video of 2 pictures.

Ah who cares, this is the first time I actually saw the original pictures. :p

Now for these screens.. I'm wondering how well this will work on such a small screen, but it's nice to see a change and I'm sure you can disable it. The large iPod is what I'm really waiting for. For me to actually buy one immediately it must have a larger, wider display, a larger hard drive, (At least 40GB) and hopefully internet access.

utilizer

macrumors regular
May 12, 2002
In Atlanta!
iPodtouch better have Wi-Fi access to Internet

I would buy this item immediately only if the Wi-Fi functionality isn't hamstrung, meaning I can't surf the web from the iPodtouch device. To come up with some sort of technology that allows users to "share songs" or "listen to Internet Radio streams" is at best mediocre. The touch functionality is fine, but for what it's worth, if the Wi-Fi doesn't allow you surf the Internet, well the Apple-AT&T deal is sweet for both corporations, not the consumer.

I'll wait for 3G iPhone to hit or when Research In Motion releases the first 3G BlackBerry available on AT&T. I currently have the 8700c and it does just about anything I need it for albeit on a slow EDGE network. I paid $250 for it and simply couldn't justify spending 600 big ones on the iPhone. I have a 4th Gen iPod Photo that has been put through hell but is still thankfully ticking with no signs of a weakening battery. But diatribes aside, iPodtouch + Wi-Fi gateway to Internet = EXTREMELY GOOD NEWS! :D

bretm

macrumors 68000
Apr 12, 2002
holding the iPod sideways doesn't make it "widescreen"... the iPhone is not widescreen, it is still standard 4:3.

if it has wifi, count me in... if it doesn't, then it's a distant maybe...

Errr... no. When turned on it's side, the ipod is wide screen. Not 16:9, but widescreen nonetheless. It's actually 13.5:9. A 1.5 aspect ratio. Standard 4:3 is a 1.333 aspect ratio. Plus, double click on a cropped 16:9 vid and it will shrink ever so slightly to letterbox it as 16:9. On a tiny 4:3 screen that would be a pretty extreme letterbox.

bretm

macrumors 68000
Apr 12, 2002
I would buy this item immediately only if the Wi-Fi functionality isn't hamstrung, meaning I can't surf the web from the iPodtouch device. To come up with some sort of technology that allows users to "share songs" or "listen to Internet Radio streams" is at best mediocre. The touch functionality is fine, but for what it's worth, if the Wi-Fi doesn't allow you surf the Internet, well the Apple-AT&T deal is sweet for both corporations, not the consumer.

I'll wait for 3G iPhone to hit or when Research In Motion releases the first 3G BlackBerry available on AT&T. I currently have the 8700c and it does just about anything I need it for albeit on a slow EDGE network. I paid $250 for it and simply couldn't justify spending 600 big ones on the iPhone. I have a 4th Gen iPod Photo that has been put through hell but is still thankfully ticking with no signs of a weakening battery. But diatribes aside, iPodtouch + Wi-Fi gateway to Internet = EXTREMELY GOOD NEWS! :D

Why on earth would you think the wifi wouldn't allow you to surf the internet? Only edge and 3G require a cell phone connection. Not wifi. And even the iPhone lets you use wifi without cell connectivity.

bloodycape

macrumors 65816
Jun 18, 2005
California
Comon apple will not make their device top out at 12gigs, considering Creative has two players out with 16gig(and one of them even has a SDHC slot) one going for around $250 and one with the SDHC slot 300 for the 16gig. Then there is Cowon which has the iAudio6 at 16gigs for about $250 also. All of them do video(in some divx/xvid format) and have FM radio. So 12gig maybe an option, but 16gig will be the max.

CalBoy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2007
Comon apple will not make their device top out at 12gigs, considering Creative has two players out with 16gig(and one of them even has a SDHC slot) one going for around $250 and one with the SDHC slot 300 for the 16gig. Then there is Cowon which has the iAudio6 at 16gigs for about $250 also.

Isn't the rumor that the Nano will top out at either 12GB or 16GB? Who said all iPods would top out at 12GB? Unless you mean only the Nanos. I think a limit of 12GB is perfectly reasonable; if it gets too large in capacity, the line between Nano and regular become blurred.

All of them do video(in some divx/xvid format) and have FM radio. So 12gig maybe an option, but 16gig will be the max.

No one cares about radios. I'm amazed that other companies waste the time and space putting them into their MP3 players.

christall109

macrumors 6502
Jun 15, 2007
What is the possibility of Wifi support? I've heard its a major probability...but like this article says take it with a grain of sand?

seems lie 50/50

I definitely think the all allusive iPhone update will come out tomorrow (Voice activiated Dialing and iPhoto Events and maybe some form of iChat).

P.S. - I played with an iPhone today at the mall..very nice!! (as borat would say)...I'm so thankful that my verizon contract is up and that I can afford to buy such a cool thing because I'm young and don't have college to worry about just yet and no bills!!

Davowade

macrumors regular
Sep 24, 2006
Melbourne
Ok, just heard a rumor from a guy from an apple store in Melbourne that an apple shipment is sitting constrained (not too sure of the exact meaning, but I can sure guess) at the docks in australia.

My loins are moist with excitement.

Anyone point me towards a countdown for the event? Global time zones confuse me.

Touchscreens and coverflow seem like quite nice ways of navigating an ipod, but I just hope it's not to the exclusion of clickwheels and menus. I just can't see how the efficiency of the current system could be beat, at least with these schemes. Anybody with a 4 gig nano and a 4 gig iphone able to comment?

Bern

macrumors 68000
Nov 10, 2004
Australia
If a touch screen iPod is released and it's not more than the current line of iPods with video then I'll be buying one.

I'm a gadget freak what can I say :D

fastbite

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2007
London
The big dilemma for me an others, at least in the UK, will be: should we wait for the iPhone or buy the new 'rumored' iPod Touch???

AppleMatt389

macrumors regular
Jun 11, 2007
Australia
id love to see any other companie's media event to have so many rumours and speculations about it.

btw..just heard that apple is delaying the media event..due to resources being devoted to the iphone. :rolleyes:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.