PDA

View Full Version : Ready to ship: By September 28th

DarkNetworks
Sep 5, 2007, 03:24 PM
Ready to ship: By September 28th

What does that mean? Will I get it by Sept 28 if I order mine now or somewhere before the 28th? Sorry but I'm really excited about the iPod touch. it has been a while since...

sdfd504
Sep 5, 2007, 03:26 PM
That means that it might ship before then but don't get mad at them if it doesn't.

DarkNetworks
Sep 5, 2007, 03:33 PM
I've been waiting for this update for months now. This IS the iPod that I want to get.

--Wolf--
Sep 5, 2007, 03:35 PM
Anyone know when it will be available outside the US to places like Australia, New Zealand etc?

DarkNetworks
Sep 5, 2007, 03:36 PM
Probably should check your country's Apple Store online. That should give some sort of indication. Btw, if I preorder, do I have to pay right away or do they only charge when the item has been shipped?

WildCowboy
Sep 5, 2007, 03:37 PM
Australia is also estimating September 28th.

They shouldn't charge your card until they're ready to ship.

DarkNetworks
Sep 5, 2007, 03:40 PM
Awesome, so I should be able to order and not get charged rite? Well at least until mid-Sept. I don't want to order it late and get mine only around mid October.

bklam
Sep 5, 2007, 06:20 PM
28th means that it will be shipped on the 28th. But depending on the shipping service you choose then the date varies.

I got an estimate of Oct. 9-11th.

hatcher146
Sep 5, 2007, 06:25 PM
so basically were thinking that if we order now it will ship by the 28th?

what about to retail stores? like best buy? will they get if after the 28th too?

SO EXCITED! :eek::eek::eek: i cant wait till the 28th??!!

wumbo6
Sep 5, 2007, 09:33 PM
who else is as bummed as me with the touch not coming out until the end of the month? i kinda also just sold my ipod yesterday. AND i'm taking a 5 hour plane ride this weekend. ohh geeze. Me =Impatient beezy. Gosh dam me

AJ Muni
Sep 5, 2007, 09:41 PM
who else is as bummed as me with the touch not coming out until the end of the month? i kinda also just sold my ipod yesterday. AND i'm taking a 5 hour plane ride this weekend. ohh geeze. Me =Impatient beezy. Gosh dam me

I feel you 100%.. It sucks to wait for so long. I'm hoping they'll ship sooner than that..

aswitcher
Sep 5, 2007, 09:52 PM

Yeah, and emails from Apple with shipping info.

Zwhaler
Sep 5, 2007, 10:07 PM
Mine ships the 28th, it should be here on the 2nd of October (so they claim)

grinthock
Sep 5, 2007, 10:10 PM
IPOD TOUCH 16G PERS-CAN
Engraved
Ships by: Sep 28
Delivers by: Oct 9 - Oct 11

iketeru
Sep 5, 2007, 10:19 PM
I'm guessing the engraving is what pushes it to Oct. 9-11 instead of Oct. 2-4? I put no engraving on it so I could have it in my hands quicker :D

Schnebar
Sep 5, 2007, 10:23 PM
IPOD TOUCH 16G PERS-CAN
Engraved
Ships by: Sep 28
Delivers by: Oct 9 - Oct 11

I'm guessing the engraving is what pushes it to Oct. 9-11 instead of Oct. 2-4? I put no engraving on it so I could have it in my hands quicker :D

I have an engraving and mine says oct 2-4

maybe it is because I ordered mine at like 1:30

TimJim
Sep 5, 2007, 10:40 PM
will it be in the stores on the 28th as well?

squeeks
Sep 5, 2007, 10:44 PM
will it be in the stores on the 28th as well?

im guessing that weekend

since the classic and nano are suppose to be in stores this weekend, its a friday, so i makes sense

kingkombucha
Sep 6, 2007, 03:32 AM
I'm in the UK. I ordered my 8gig ipod touch earlier. On my order confirmation email, it says that they estimate my order to be shipped on or before 11 Sep, 2007.

It goes on to say:

We estimate your order will be delivered to your shipping address on or before 12 Sep, 2007 - 13 Sep, 2007.

NOTE: Please note that these dates are estimated lead-times only. Your order will not ship until all items are available. Once your order has dispatched, you will receive a Dispatch Notification email, which will provide you with detailed delivery information.

Now I don't know if the UK is getting theirs sooner or if this is a mistake but it certainly surprised me!

Could I be surfing the net on my ipod touch here in the UK this time next week?

-KK

TimJim
Sep 6, 2007, 09:30 AM
I'm in the UK. I ordered my 8gig ipod touch earlier. On my order confirmation email, it says that they estimate my order to be shipped on or before 11 Sep, 2007.

It goes on to say:

Now I don't know if the UK is getting theirs sooner or if this is a mistake but it certainly surprised me!

-KK

take some pictures of it when you get it.

wakerider017
Sep 6, 2007, 09:33 AM

It goes on to say:

We estimate your order will be delivered to your shipping address on or before 12 Sep, 2007 - 13 Sep, 2007.

NOTE: Please note that these dates are estimated lead-times only. Your order will not ship until all items are available. Once your order has dispatched, you will receive a Dispatch Notification email, which will provide you with detailed delivery information.

-KK

Yes, we need pics for that...

Project
Sep 6, 2007, 09:35 AM

It goes on to say:

-KK

hmm. Was going to wait for it to arrive in the Apple UK retail store but I might order online if this is true.

kingkombucha
Sep 6, 2007, 09:49 AM
Yep, If I do get it next week I will post some pics - fingers crossed!

Coming to terms with the delivery estimate now - can't really see why it would be wrong.

I did order it at about 3AM so it could have been one of the first few orders through - hence the early delivery time. - Maybe!

-KK

klb028
Sep 6, 2007, 12:49 PM
Can anyone living in the U.S. tell me how much the 16GB iPod touch comes out to be including tax and 2-3 day shipping? What about regular shipping? Thanks!

sdfd504
Sep 6, 2007, 12:55 PM
Yep, If I do get it next week I will post some pics - fingers crossed!

Coming to terms with the delivery estimate now - can't really see why it would be wrong.

I did order it at about 3AM so it could have been one of the first few orders through - hence the early delivery time. - Maybe!

-KK

I ordered my 8gb touch here in the US as soon as the store opened so I wouldn't think that your order was any sooner then mine was.

gloss
Sep 6, 2007, 01:09 PM
I'm kind of psyched for mine, really. I'm in the process of batch converting all my anime/videos into iPhone-sized files.

Go go gadget VisualHub.

grinthock
Sep 6, 2007, 05:20 PM
35 days is WAY TOO LONG!!

magicjames92
Sep 6, 2007, 05:25 PM
35 days is WAY TOO LONG!!

mine ships the same day and arrives in 28 days

screensaver400
Sep 6, 2007, 05:26 PM
I ordered my 8gb touch here in the US as soon as the store opened so I wouldn't think that your order was any sooner then mine was.

What time was your order placed? If you go to apple.com/orderstatus, it will tell you.

My order for one 16GB was at 12:21 PM Pacific on September 5. I selected 2-3 day shipping.

http://img403.imageshack.us/img403/4989/countdowntj0.png

magicjames92
Sep 6, 2007, 05:26 PM
SHIPS BY means it will ship on or before that date. I'm hoping before. Way before. lol

gadgetgirl85
Sep 6, 2007, 08:46 PM
Mine is Ship by the 28th. I ordered mine the second the Australian store reopened yesterday morning. I would love to be pleasantly surprised and have it arrive earlier! *has been organising itunes library*

telf22
Sep 6, 2007, 09:46 PM
Can anyone living in the U.S. tell me how much the 16GB iPod touch comes out to be including tax and 2-3 day shipping? What about regular shipping? Thanks!

i live in nyc, ordered the ipod touch 16gb w/ the 2-3 day shipping ($10) and including tax ($34) it came to $443 and says it should arrive by the 2nd of october, hope that helps!

sdfd504
Sep 6, 2007, 10:00 PM
What time was your order placed? If you go to apple.com/orderstatus, it will tell you.

My order for one 16GB was at 12:21 PM Pacific on September 5. I selected 2-3 day shipping.

12:20 PM. :D I live in TN and it says that it will be here by the 4th but they usually get here 2 days earlier then the last delivery day.

klb028
Sep 6, 2007, 11:16 PM
i live in nyc, ordered the ipod touch 16gb w/ the 2-3 day shipping ($10) and including tax ($34) it came to $443 and says it should arrive by the 2nd of october, hope that helps!

Thank you! :)

grinthock
Sep 7, 2007, 06:28 AM
I'm in Canada -- that add's 4 days.. However I usually get it one day early. If it comes from Shanghai then my iPod will goto Anchorage, AK then to Memphis TN, and then to Toronto Ontairo, Canada, and then my door.

nirvana06
Sep 7, 2007, 07:15 AM
where did you guys get those images with days before you get it countdown? I ordered mine and cant find it.

screensaver400
Sep 7, 2007, 08:49 AM
where did you guys get those images with days before you get it countdown? I ordered mine and cant find it.

http://www.apple.com/downloads/dashboard/shopping/deliverystatus.html

PygmySurfer
Sep 7, 2007, 09:34 AM

It's a Dashboard Widget (http://mikepiontek.com/software/mac/delivery-status.html)

nirvana06
Sep 7, 2007, 09:44 AM
is that mac only?

BII
Sep 7, 2007, 10:29 AM

They already charged my card, and I ordered it last night.

SirCrumpet
Sep 7, 2007, 10:37 AM
is that mac only?

yep xD

gloss
Sep 7, 2007, 10:41 AM
I cancelled my order with Apple and went to Amazon. No tax and free 2-day shipping. =D

EvanLugh
Sep 7, 2007, 10:50 AM
A little off topic..
But, if the iPhone for UK is expected September 25th, how long will we need to wait for that, and isn't it weird how they're waiting until the 25th when this is happening? Doesn't make sense to me. :(

DarkNetworks
Sep 7, 2007, 10:53 AM
Turns out Apple charges Credit Card only when your order ships but for Debit Cards, they'll charge immediately. Looks like I'll only be able to order it in a few days time once my cheque is cleared. Damn!

Floris
Sep 7, 2007, 11:19 AM
I've been waiting for this update for months now. This IS the iPod that I want to get.I agree, I really hope to get one soon. I don't mind to wait another few weeks or month.. As long as it is within the near future. :)

BII
Sep 7, 2007, 12:52 PM
Turns out Apple charges Credit Card only when your order ships but for Debit Cards, they'll charge immediately. Looks like I'll only be able to order it in a few days time once my cheque is cleared. Damn!

Makes sense, since I did buy it using my check card.

aidanpendragon
Sep 7, 2007, 01:09 PM
I cancelled my order with Apple and went to Amazon. No tax and free 2-day shipping. =D

Yeah, free 2-day if you're a ($79.99/year) member of Amazon Prime. And their availability is Sept. 30. So, 2 days from then - which is the same as getting from Apple w./free shipping. All the difference is the sales tax. BUT, you're also assuming Amazon will get enough to fill its preorders (hello Wii!) and that Apple's "ship BY Sept. 28" won't actually be earlier.

gloss
Sep 7, 2007, 01:45 PM
Yeah, free 2-day if you're a ($79.99/year) member of Amazon Prime. And their availability is Sept. 30. So, 2 days from then - which is the same as getting from Apple w./free shipping. All the difference is the sales tax. BUT, you're also assuming Amazon will get enough to fill its preorders (hello Wii!) and that Apple's "ship BY Sept. 28" won't actually be earlier.

Yes, true. Amazon Prime is actually a great deal if you tend to do most of your shopping on Amazon like I do. And in my location I often receive packages one day after shipping, rather than two.

Not half bad.

I'd say saving the $20 in tax was worth it, though.

nerdeus
Sep 7, 2007, 01:48 PM
I hope you guys can help cuz I'm a little confused.

So I want to order mine online, and when I get to the confirmation page BEFORE I click "confirm my order" there are the Item Details and it says Ships by Sept 28, Delivers by Oct 2-4.

Will the Delivers by CHANGE after I click confirm?? Because some of you are posting it won't arrive until Oct 11! so I'm just wondering if it's because I'll so low down the line in pre-orders that my Delivers By date will change to somethin even later?? Or maybe does living in the Los angeles area help me to have one of the earlier delivers by dates?

PLEASE help me out. Cuz I still can't decide whether or not to just keep callin the stores and get it that way...

mithykal
Sep 7, 2007, 02:45 PM
Amazon UK have a release date for 24th September, do you think they know something we dont? and does anyone think it would be worth switching from Apple to Amazon?
http://www.amazon.co.uk/New-Apple-iPod-touch-8GB/dp/B000VBEDTW/ref=sr_1_3/202-8382800-9615839?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1189194129&sr=1-3

nirvana06
Sep 7, 2007, 02:47 PM
Amazon UK have a release date for 24th September, do you think they know something we dont? and does anyone think it would be worth switching from Apple to Amazon?
http://www.amazon.co.uk/New-Apple-iPod-touch-8GB/dp/B000VBEDTW/ref=sr_1_3/202-8382800-9615839?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1189194129&sr=1-3

I dont know....it makes sense that Apple will get it first. It does say ship by 28th. There is a possibility that it will be earlier.

rbroady
Sep 7, 2007, 02:57 PM
I have heard stories that amazon sometimes gets things a bit earlier, but im not sure about ipods...

im going to pick mine up at the store, i think they will have it the earliest

iAlice
Sep 7, 2007, 05:14 PM
http://www.apple.com/downloads/dashboard/shopping/deliverystatus.html
Thanks, screensaver400, I installed the widget and love it---
especially since mine says only 27 days to go for my 16G Touch! :D
That's still a long time, though...:rolleyes:

saxondale.
Sep 7, 2007, 09:08 PM
Estimated Shipping: 28 Sep, 2007
Estimated Delivery: 01 Oct, 2007 - 02 Oct, 2007

kered22
Sep 7, 2007, 11:02 PM
Quite possibly what may happen is this. The 28th of September is the latest it will ship. Apple will probably ship all these initial orders direct from China instead of from one of their DC's. They will also upgrade all the orders to free overnight shipping regardless of what you specify when you order.

At least historically that is what they've done with big launches like this with US orders, not sure about abroad.

Maxington
Sep 7, 2007, 11:06 PM
Yup, it's time to get my WiPod :)

mithykal
Sep 8, 2007, 05:34 AM
At least historically that is what they've done with big launches like this with US orders, not sure about abroad.

In the UK we don't get a choice for shipping, it's free (for orders over £66) and it is "fast shipping"

DarkNetworks
Sep 8, 2007, 06:24 AM

My cheque finally cleared this morning and straight off to the Apple Store and yes. This is what I've right now as well. :D

DarkNetworks
Sep 8, 2007, 06:27 AM

Well I don't know...I would rather go safer with Apple as Amazon tends to change it's Release Date...

queshy
Sep 8, 2007, 06:35 AM
Well I don't know...I would rather go safer with Apple as Amazon tends to change it's Release Date...

iLife 07 anyone?

TheSpaz
Sep 8, 2007, 08:15 AM
Does anyone here think that if Apple.com says "Delivers by Oct. 2nd" then I will DEFINITELY get it by then? The reason I ask is because I leave for a trip to Florida on Oct. 3rd and I'm having it shipped to my workplace which I will be at on the 2nd. I don't wanna take my trip without it! I'm also hoping for an earlier ship date and I paid for 2 day shipping to make sure I get it before my trip!

Also, does Apple have a history of shipping things earlier than estimated?

i0Nic
Sep 8, 2007, 08:30 AM
Also, does Apple have a history of shipping things earlier than estimated?
Yes, they *usually* state the longest possible date for shipping. I wouldn't be surprised if we get the ipod by the 30th or earlier.

TheSpaz
Sep 8, 2007, 09:47 AM
Yes, they *usually* state the longest possible date for shipping. I wouldn't be surprised if we get the ipod by the 30th or earlier.

YAY!

gadgetgirl85
Sep 8, 2007, 02:23 PM
I'd love a surprise late next week that its already been shipped :P Probably won't happen but I can dream can't I?

iCantwait
Sep 9, 2007, 12:18 AM
PLEASE NOTE
the apple widget of much discussion in this forum only works in countries like the USA where the date is read mm/dd/yyyy not in countries like the UK and :DAustralia:D where the date is written dd/mm/yyyy acording 2 my widjet my ipod is coming the 10th of march 10/03 not september 3rd 03/10 (i live in australia), just to let you know

ps. this has probaly been covered but i cannot be bothered reading all the posts:D
pps or i just screwed it!

SirCrumpet
Sep 9, 2007, 12:25 AM
PLEASE NOTE the apple widget of much discussion in this forum only works in countries like the USA where the date is read mm/dd/yyyy not in countries like the UK and :DAustralia:D where the date is written dd/mm/yyyy acording 2 my widjet my ipod is coming the 10th of march 10/03 not september 3rd 03/10 (i live in australia), just to let you know

ps. this has probaly been covered but i cannot be bothered reading all the posts:D

Also in australia, and mine works fine - i think you broke it :rolleyes:

Edit: Ok, I lied - its broken for me too - sorry :(

iCantwait
Sep 9, 2007, 01:18 AM
and how do i get it to say how many days left? or wont this work because in the same order i got a nano that has already arrived?

DarkNetworks
Sep 9, 2007, 01:56 AM
because in the same order i got a nano that has already arrived?

This probably explains it all.

PowerFullMac
Sep 9, 2007, 02:04 AM
When will they be in the Apple Stores?

shadowmoses
Sep 9, 2007, 10:56 AM
When will they be in the Apple Stores?

When I asked at Regents Street London all they knew was the end of the month. I am guessing they will start shipping about the 15th-20th though, unless there is a delay like the :apple:TV had.......

ShadoW

mithykal
Sep 9, 2007, 11:03 AM
On a forum I often look at there is a thread about "gadgets" and obviously the iPod touch was being spoken about, and one of the members asked in a UK apple store when the iPod touch would be in store and the reply he got was 'they might be in store as early as next weekend'
Bearing in mind the Apple guy said 'could'

emotion
Sep 9, 2007, 11:12 AM
Nevermind all these delivery dates. First to crack one open and find out if there's a CSR bluetooth chip in there will get props from me. :)

TheSpaz
Sep 9, 2007, 11:39 AM
Nevermind all these delivery dates. First to crack one open and find out if there's a CSR bluetooth chip in there will get props from me. :)

http://media.arstechnica.com/reviews/hardware/iphone-review.media/DaughterBoard.jpg

Markleshark
Sep 9, 2007, 11:40 AM
iPhone?

emotion
Sep 9, 2007, 11:44 AM
I've been posting that pic (from Arstechnica) to show that bluetooth and wireless are not on the same chip on the iphone as was posited by another poster.

mithykal
Sep 9, 2007, 11:46 AM
iPhone?

yup, if you right click and see the images address it's called http://media.arstechnica.com/reviews/hardware/iphone-review.media/DaughterBoard.jpg

TheSpaz
Sep 9, 2007, 11:46 AM
iPhone?

Yeah but, I heard that it has the same insides as the iPhone.

http://www.engadget.com/2007/09/06/does-apples-ipod-touch-have-bluetooth/

AirborneAngel
Sep 9, 2007, 12:02 PM
It means that 9/28 is the latest that they will be shipping your product, it may be before then, it may not be, but 9/28 is the day it will have definitely shipped by.

nirvana06
Sep 9, 2007, 12:08 PM
They can't possibly ship all orders on the 28th. How many Touch ipods have been pre ordered already? I'm sure its a big number. In order to ship them ALL by 28th they'll have to start shipping some early.

Shaduu
Sep 9, 2007, 12:13 PM
Yeah but, I heard that it has the same insides as the iPhone.

http://www.engadget.com/2007/09/06/does-apples-ipod-touch-have-bluetooth/

Yes and no. It has the same OS if that's what you mean...

buffalo
Sep 9, 2007, 01:39 PM
Steve said at the event that the Touch would be shipping "This Month." So, the Apple store lists the shipping date as the last business day in September. Hopefully it will be sooner than that. I can't wait for my 16gig Touch.

gadgetgirl85
Sep 9, 2007, 02:04 PM
It means that 9/28 is the latest that they will be shipping your product, it may be before then, it may not be, but 9/28 is the day it will have definitely shipped by.

I like your logic :D I sure hope you are right

PygmySurfer
Sep 9, 2007, 02:09 PM
PLEASE NOTE
the apple widget of much discussion in this forum only works in countries like the USA where the date is read mm/dd/yyyy not in countries like the UK and :DAustralia:D where the date is written dd/mm/yyyy acording 2 my widjet my ipod is coming the 10th of march 10/03 not september 3rd 03/10 (i live in australia), just to let you know

pps or i just screwed it!

Works in Canada, and I think we use the screwy European style dates here. The Apple store lists the dates as Sep 28, rather than completely numeric, so unless the API the widget uses sends them in mm/dd/yyyy format, I'd think it'd work OK. This is all speculation, though - maybe somone should submit a bug report to the author of the widget, saying it doesn't work in Australia :P

nirvana06
Sep 9, 2007, 05:03 PM
I'd say they'll start shipping them around sept 20th or so. I assume they'll be sending them out in order they were purchased? So if you bought it on the 6th you should get it earlier than if you buy it on 15th.

ivan a rom
Sep 9, 2007, 07:20 PM
As a person who never used an iPod, who thought they were overpriced and under featured, and as geek, I apologize. I will succumb to the iPod touch. The only good thing about it not being out til the 28th is that I was born on the 29th :) Not to mention I have no classes at uni on fridays. I'll be waiting wherever I can to get one.

On a side note: These forums are awesome. Quick responses and sensible comments.

gloss
Sep 9, 2007, 07:22 PM
As a person who never used an iPod, who thought they were overpriced and under featured, and as geek, I apologize. I will succumb to the iPod touch. The only good thing about it not being out til the 28th is that I was born on the 29th :) Not to mention I have no classes at uni on fridays. I'll be waiting wherever I can to get one.

On a side note: These forums are awesome. Quick responses and sensible comments.

Welcome.

anim8or
Sep 10, 2007, 02:21 AM
Probably should check your country's Apple Store online. That should give some sort of indication. Btw, if I preorder, do I have to pay right away or do they only charge when the item has been shipped?

Both wrong....

I preordered as soon as the store came back online and i was charged for it the day after!!!

I have bought many, many things from apple but never have i been charged pre-shipping?

Its strange, perhaps they have shipped it? (Here's hoping! :D)

Markleshark
Sep 10, 2007, 02:31 AM
I've never checked my bank, I wonder if I've been charged...

shadowmoses
Sep 10, 2007, 02:31 AM
Both wrong....

I preordered as soon as the store came back online and i was charged for it the day after!!!

I have bought many, many things from apple but never have i been charged pre-shipping?

Its strange, perhaps they have shipped it? (Here's hoping! :D)

That is indeed strange, I have spoken to Apple about this before and I am sure they do not charge cards until item is shipped, or about to be shipped. How soon after your order were you charged? I'm going to check my account later see if I've been charged......Its a good sign;)

ShadoW

ilikecake
Sep 10, 2007, 08:46 AM
Australian Apple reseller Next Byte sent out an email advertising iPod Touch preorders which said they'd start shipping Sep 20...Hopefully it wasn't a typo.

Like the poster a few posts above my birthday is the 29th, it'd be nice to receive my 16GB in time :)

mari0
Sep 10, 2007, 09:20 AM
Just spoken to Apple over the live chat facility (UK). They said that debit/switch cards are charged straight away but credit cards are charged when the product has been shipped. The only logical sense I can see in this is the fact that people ordering by credit card may have to pay interest on a product that they have not recieved until 20 or so days later so therefore they charge them when it is shipped to make sure they don't pay unwanted interest.

But I have a big speculation, maybe they are charging the debit cards right away (this is for the uk, unsure about the US) as they are going to ship quicker than what they previously estimated. Like other people are saying they cannot remember Apple charging their card before they get the item but this then conflicts with my other speculation of the reason why we are waiting for this product is because the price of Flash memory is quite high (especially for the 16GB). As they will be getting loads of pre-orders they can tell exactly how many Flash components they need to buy so when flash becomes cheaper so they would have minimized over spend on the flash units.

This is my first post on this forum!

bluedoggiant
Sep 10, 2007, 09:20 AM
What does that mean? Will I get it by Sept 28 if I order mine now or somewhere before the 28th? Sorry but I'm really excited about the iPod touch. it has been a while since...

buy it now, get it a lil bit after the 28th wen its actually released

TheSpaz
Sep 10, 2007, 10:16 AM
buy it now, get it a lil bit after the 28th wen its actually released

Do you think they're actually going to ship all of the iPod Touch's on the 28th? I don't think they'd do that. The text on Apple's website says it will ship BY Sept. 28th meaning that it will ship no later than the 28th. They're probably just using the 28th as a deadline so that they can guarantee that everyone will get theirs "on time". This way, everyone is happy!

shadowmoses
Sep 10, 2007, 10:27 AM
Just checked and my card got charged on the 6th, I ordered on the eve of the release. I find this slightly strange as Apple do not usually do this neither do other companies. To charge a card nearly 3 weeks before the item is expected to ship is odd...... The explanation given by apple to the poster above doesn't seem to make much sense either.

SHadOW

gloss
Sep 10, 2007, 10:28 AM
Perhaps they're magically shipping tomorrow.

Didn't some guy on here post saying that his estimated shipping date was the 11th?

edit:

There we go. I did read in one article (Macworld, maybe?) that Steve had said international orders would be shipping sooner to make up for the fact that iPhones were not available to international customers yet.

Markleshark
Sep 10, 2007, 10:30 AM
I'm off to the bank this evening then, to see if ive been charged.

Be nice if they shipped soon. Heres to hoping.

Mine still says shipping by the 3rd of October. Be chuffed if it change sometime soon. :)

PygmySurfer
Sep 10, 2007, 01:03 PM
There we go. I did read in one article (Macworld, maybe?) that Steve had said international orders would be shipping sooner to make up for the fact that iPhones were not available to international customers yet.

I hope that includes Canada! My CC appears to have been charged, but my ship date is still Sept. 28th :(

sid872
Sep 10, 2007, 01:24 PM
I've also been charged (UK), I really hope your email is right and we do get them earlier (this week would be great!). I know it sounds tight but it would be cool if we got them before everywhere else, I mean, we rarely ever get anything first!

Markleshark
Sep 10, 2007, 02:01 PM
I get to wait either way. I ordered the dock, and whatever thats still 3-4 weeks. Dammit.

TheSpaz
Sep 10, 2007, 02:06 PM
I haven't been charged yet and I used my Debit Card

nirvana06
Sep 10, 2007, 02:11 PM
anybody in the media tried to get a word from Apple on when they will start shipments?

wakerider017
Sep 10, 2007, 07:49 PM
Bloop

http://img184.imageshack.us/img184/5656/picture2mi4.png

nirvana06
Sep 10, 2007, 07:54 PM
Bloop

http://img184.imageshack.us/img184/5656/picture2mi4.png

can someone make me one of those if i PM them my order #?

gadgetgirl85
Sep 10, 2007, 07:55 PM
Theres a widget to be downloaded from the apple site nirvana, in which you input your order number and it will tell you how many days to go. Mine is delivered by October 3 *sigh*

magicjames92
Sep 10, 2007, 07:56 PM

i will. i need ur email too though

nirvana06
Sep 10, 2007, 07:59 PM

Its Mac only. I dont have a mac.

nirvana06
Sep 10, 2007, 07:59 PM
i will. i need ur email too though

PM sent. Thanks. :)

nirvana06
Sep 10, 2007, 08:05 PM
http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f286/magicjames92/Picture1-3.png

gadgetgirl85
Sep 10, 2007, 08:30 PM
Whats the earliest deliver by date so far? Mine is the 3rd of Oct

wakerider017
Sep 10, 2007, 09:03 PM
Whats the earliest deliver by date so far? Mine is the 2nd of Oct

Mine is Oct 2-4

I just did standard shipping.

TheSpaz
Sep 10, 2007, 09:31 PM
Mine says Oct. 2nd and only because I chose expedited shipping because I am leaving to go visit family in Florida on the 3rd and I want it before I leave and I must guarantee that it will get to me before my trip. Wee! Lucky timing I guess!

zea mays
Sep 10, 2007, 10:07 PM
Whats the earliest deliver by date so far? Mine is the 3rd of Oct

I have Oct 2-4 with standard shipping.

ETA: I'm still curious about the guy who says he has 9/11 as his shipping date. Will it change tomorrow, or will it ship ?!?

According to my order confirmation email from the Apple UK store;

My 8gig ipod touch will be shipped on or before 11 Sep, 2007.

& It will be delivered on or before 12 Sep, 2007 - 13 Sep, 2007.

I know they are estimated lead-times only but I hope they're accurate!

-KK
from this (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=350870) thread

bigglesworth003
Sep 10, 2007, 10:27 PM
I'm in Australia,

Mine says Shipped in 28/9/207
DELIVERED SOON!

Wish it'd say the actual date!

And a count down no countdown

nirvana06
Sep 10, 2007, 10:38 PM
I predict Sept 24th first batch goes out.

Rapmastac1
Sep 10, 2007, 11:39 PM
Mine said 9-11 too, but the company I bought it through (Best Buy) updated my shipping records and now it tells me the between the 29 and the 4th of October, I have 2 day delivery or sumthin. So I bet Apple is shipping sometime between the 23 and 27 to get it to all the stores and fill the pre orders, as it usually takes longer for another store to get the product after the Apple store first.

How do you guys have a tracking number already, did all of you buy it through Apple? As soon as someone gets a Fed-Ex or UPS tracking number, post asap, that means it's in the shipping process, that means that it has A. already been shipped to major retailers and B. is on it's way to the lucky one...

jacktiernan
Sep 11, 2007, 01:13 AM

I definitely agree with the above posts, most people will probably recieve them between the 20th and 28th. And my birthday is the 30th, so if it's sometime around then, i'll be a very happy chappy :D

jacktiernan
Sep 11, 2007, 01:20 AM
I'm in Australia,

DELIVERED SOON!

You getting that date off the widget by any chance?
Coz mine has said the same thing ever since i ordered.

Check the actual order on the Apple site

Sorry to bust your iBubble :(

Markleshark
Sep 11, 2007, 01:30 AM
Shipped by the 3rd of October here (16Gig, UK). FWIW I've been charged as well.

shadowmoses
Sep 11, 2007, 01:36 AM
http://img172.imageshack.us/img172/1199/picture2do6.png

Great widget!! I have been charged (UK) and ordered as soon as they went up on the online store.....

ShadOw

Markleshark
Sep 11, 2007, 01:41 AM
My order fracks up the widget, well, it doesn't but it shows the dock not the iPod as thats first in the list.

iCantwait
Sep 11, 2007, 03:24 AM
I'm in Australia,

DELIVERED SOON!

click on where it says delivered soon it will change to either March 10th(like mine) or oct. 3rd(like what it says online)

ischemic
Sep 11, 2007, 03:44 AM
I'm in the UK and paid by credit card with estimated dispatch of the 28th and my card has not been charged yet.

mithykal
Sep 11, 2007, 03:48 AM
Just thought id say, I ordered on thr 5th, half an hour after keynotes ended and mine is despatching 28th delivered 1st oct. And the day after my card was charged, now they can get intrest on my money for a month, instead of me :rolleyes:

blaaat
Sep 11, 2007, 04:08 AM
My wire transfer just got confirmed, ships by 28th, delivers on 1-2oct :)
(i'm in the netherlands, and i do not have a message on the back)

Hecklerdanny
Sep 11, 2007, 07:11 AM
To everyone curious about the credit card being charged, etc. I called Apple about this yesterday. They said that as soon as you make the purchase, they "authorize" the credit card by taking the amount out, which in my case was around $415. They then put the money back in either the same day or the next business day. That would explain why some people are seeing it charged right away, and why some are not. They then take out the "real" amount as soon as it is shipped.

As a side note, when it came to the time in the coversation when they say "We're glad we would answer your question, is there anything else we can do for you today?"
I said: "Well, not unless there's anyway you could tell me when these will start shipping?"
They say:"No, we really can't. We aren't sure. We wouldn't want to get your hopes up and let down anyway. We can tell you that the absolute latest possible day they would ever ship is the date that is specificed on your Order Status page."

Nothing we didn't already know, just thought I'd take a chance, seeing as how I almost physically can't handle waiting any longer!

PS. I ordered mine right after they were announced, ship date of Sept 28th, delivery date of Oct 2nd.

Someone on here made an interesting note. How many thousands and thousands of pre-ordered were made, that all got the ship date of September 28th? There's no way Apple is going to ship thousands and thousands and thousands of pre-ordered all on one day...Which leads me to believe that they WILL start shipping early!

DarkNetworks
Sep 11, 2007, 07:22 AM
I think for the 16GB, it takes a few days more than the 8GB to ship. That's the scenario I see so far. It's 21 days now, not too long boys.

Markleshark
Sep 11, 2007, 07:29 AM
21 days? On the grand scale of things that seems like nothing, but hell, it feels like foreverrrrrrrr!

Any news from the guy who said his was shipping today?

bigglesworth003
Sep 11, 2007, 07:53 AM
click on where it says delivered soon it will change to either March 10th(like mine) or oct. 3rd(like what it says online)

Ahhh, Mine now Says Aug 10th (2007)

so in US Date formate 8th Oct.

jockmock
Sep 11, 2007, 09:39 AM
How much space will the 16 gigger actually have? I noticed that the 8gb version can carry 250 less songs than the nano in same size. Does that mean that the 16Gb can carry 500 songs less than an equivalent of a nano?
We all now how 16GB isn't really 16GB... a quick calculation makes 16Gb be 15.25 real gigabytes. Now, how much space will the system take up in addition?

Stang68
Sep 11, 2007, 11:58 AM
Any news from the guy who said his was shipping today?

Yea, has anyone heard from him!?!?:eek:

screensaver400
Sep 11, 2007, 12:25 PM
How much space will the 16 gigger actually have? I noticed that the 8gb version can carry 250 less songs than the nano in same size. Does that mean that the 16Gb can carry 500 songs less than an equivalent of a nano?
We all now how 16GB isn't really 16GB... a quick calculation makes 16Gb be 15.25 real gigabytes. Now, how much space will the system take up in addition?

I'd imagine 15.25 would be the amount available for media, as displayed in iTunes. Since both the touch and the nano use flash memory, the formatting should be the same for both. The only difference is the software, which explains the difference in number of songs that can be stored.

Stang68
Sep 11, 2007, 12:41 PM
AGHH!! 20 days for me!!!!:eek::D

gadgetgirl85
Sep 11, 2007, 02:38 PM
Mine is still expected by the 3rd :D

Rhosfelt
Sep 11, 2007, 02:47 PM
Mine is expected the 4th-5th right in time to visit the parents for a weekend (where i had it shipped) :)

gloss
Sep 11, 2007, 04:17 PM
Anyone else suddenly having issues with the widget? It was working fine, but now it can't find my order. The password is the same and the order is visible by going to Amazon.com manually.

Odd.

wakerider017
Sep 11, 2007, 05:07 PM
Anyone else suddenly having issues with the widget? It was working fine, but now it can't find my order. The password is the same and the order is visible by going to Amazon.com manually.

Odd.

I canceled my order from Amazon and re-ordered through Apple.

Amazon has still not shipped the nanos or classics...

You might want to consider doing the same. Your Touch might come 1-2 weeks late...

xmx250
Sep 11, 2007, 05:13 PM
I keep hearing everyone talk about ship dates of sept28. But when will the apple store themselves get the touch in stock?

Stang68
Sep 11, 2007, 05:59 PM
I keep hearing everyone talk about ship dates of sept28. But when will the apple store themselves get the touch in stock?

I just called and they say that the Touch's ship on the 28th and that they should get them on the 29th or 30th.

gloss
Sep 11, 2007, 06:04 PM
I canceled my order from Amazon and re-ordered through Apple.

Amazon has still not shipped the nanos or classics...

You might want to consider doing the same. Your Touch might come 1-2 weeks late...

Done and done.

Although I'm paying $30 more now including shipping. ~.~

wakerider017
Sep 11, 2007, 06:08 PM
Done and done.

Although I'm paying $30 more now including shipping. ~.~

Nice move man... Ya it sucks you have to pay a little more, but it is worth it knowing your iPod will arrive on time.

Stang68
Sep 11, 2007, 06:16 PM
any news from the guy who had a Sept 11th ship date?

chicagopepper
Sep 11, 2007, 06:45 PM
How hard do you guys think it will be to get an iPod touch at an Apple store on/around the 28th? I'd like to buy in person but I'm considering just ordering online.

Dijo John
Sep 11, 2007, 07:02 PM
My wire transfer just got confirmed, ships by 28th, delivers on 1-2oct :)
(i'm in the netherlands, and i do not have a message on the back)

I'm in germany and I also paid via wire transfer. How long did it take for the order to be confirmed after you transfered the money?

xmx250
Sep 11, 2007, 07:18 PM
How hard do you guys think it will be to get an iPod touch at an Apple store on/around the 28th? I'd like to buy in person but I'm considering just ordering online.

I also would rather buy in person. Everytime i order something online it takes forever to come.

TheSpaz
Sep 11, 2007, 08:32 PM
I also would rather buy in person. Everytime i order something online it takes forever to come.

What? I usually find that it takes forever to come to stores. Best Buy doesn't even have the new iPod Classics yet. I live in New Hampshire and I've never waited for over a week to get something in the mail.

Rapmastac1
Sep 11, 2007, 08:47 PM
Well I looked at Best Buy.com and they have them in stock, and I checked to see if any locations had them and only one had it, and it was too far away for me. I wonder if anyone on here ordered the Classic or Nano via Best Buy and got it yet. I remember going to the Best Buy store and they said that the actual store won't have them until all the pre-orders are filled and stuff. Best Buy dot come is a completely different store and that is why they don't offer in store pickup on that particular model... But it still says Oct. 3 with 2 day shipping, if they don't get it here by the 4th then I'll call them and have them cancel that 2 day shipping becuase it took much longer...

blaaat
Sep 12, 2007, 03:00 AM
I'm in germany and I also paid via wire transfer. How long did it take for the order to be confirmed after you transfered the money?

I ordered on friday, got confirmed on tuesday, but it's usually just 1 business-day

jacktiernan
Sep 12, 2007, 03:52 AM

I had never bought something online from apple before, and i was worried i might find myself in the scenario where the stores had it and mine was still in transit, so i called apple.

When i asked how much faster pre-ordering is, they told me that pre-oders would arrive by october 2 and that stores would not recieve their stock until mid-late october.

I'm in australia by the way, don;t know if that makes a difference.

iMJustAGuy
Sep 12, 2007, 09:30 AM

I can't get mine till I get paid on the 21st. :( ... i hope that doesnt push the ship date back too far.. (ordering it that late)

jockmock
Sep 12, 2007, 09:45 AM
Beräknad avsändning: 28 Sep, 2007
Beräknad leverans: 02 Oct, 2007 - 03 Oct, 2007

I can't bloody wait!

iMJustAGuy
Sep 12, 2007, 09:49 AM
I just called and they say that the Touch's ship on the 28th and that they should get them on the 29th or 30th.

I called my local best buy and they said they have everything but the touches which they won't get till the 16th......OF OCTOBER!

When you order from apple...can you slect nect day shipping...?

iMJustAGuy
Sep 12, 2007, 09:51 AM
28th means that it will be shipped on the 28th. But depending on the shipping service you choose then the date varies.

I got an estimate of Oct. 9-11th.

Can you pay extra for next day shipping if you order from apple....if not what are the other shipping options? Thanks!

BII
Sep 12, 2007, 09:52 AM

Who knows? Maybe they won't get enough to meet demand, or maybe they will. Or maybe they think they are getting them around the 28th, but turns out a little later.

I always order online because its just easier than driving down to an apple store (although there's like 3 nearish my job). Plus my coworkers get jealous when the shipping clerk brings up a package with an apple logo on it.:D

jok
Sep 12, 2007, 09:57 AM
same as you Jockmock... I'm in france, that's why...
But you'll see, I'm sure they will send it before the 28th... If we are lucky, we'll get it before the WE (time to play with it!! :) )

jok
Sep 12, 2007, 10:05 AM
To everyone curious about the credit card being charged, etc. I called Apple about this yesterday. They said that as soon as you make the purchase, they "authorize" the credit card by taking the amount out, which in my case was around $415. They then put the money back in either the same day or the next business day. That would explain why some people are seeing it charged right away, and why some are not. They then take out the "real" amount as soon as it is shipped.

As a side note, when it came to the time in the coversation when they say "We're glad we would answer your question, is there anything else we can do for you today?"
I said: "Well, not unless there's anyway you could tell me when these will start shipping?"
They say:"No, we really can't. We aren't sure. We wouldn't want to get your hopes up and let down anyway. We can tell you that the absolute latest possible day they would ever ship is the date that is specificed on your Order Status page."

Nothing we didn't already know, just thought I'd take a chance, seeing as how I almost physically can't handle waiting any longer!

PS. I ordered mine right after they were announced, ship date of Sept 28th, delivery date of Oct 2nd.

Someone on here made an interesting note. How many thousands and thousands of pre-ordered were made, that all got the ship date of September 28th? There's no way Apple is going to ship thousands and thousands and thousands of pre-ordered all on one day...Which leads me to believe that they WILL start shipping early!

That's great news! looks like the girl knows Ipod's will be sent before the 28th, but she can't say it as she doesn't want to get our "hopes up and let down anyway"
... what do you think about that...?

iMJustAGuy
Sep 12, 2007, 10:25 AM
That's great news! looks like the girl knows Ipod's will be sent before the 28th, but she can't say it as she doesn't want to get our "hopes up and let down anyway"
... what do you think about that...?

i think that is amazing

screensaver400
Sep 12, 2007, 12:27 PM
It seems that shipment may be imminent. The manuals for iPod touch were just posted: http://manuals.apple.com/manualsList?config=W4N&model=iPod+touch+Manuals

Also, someone is reporting (http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=1128256&tstart=0) that an Apple rep promised his iPod touch by Friday or Monday.

xmx250
Sep 12, 2007, 12:31 PM
you guys are killing me, LOL. I want this touch so bad!

and with all this speculation its just making the wait worse, lol.

screensaver400
Sep 12, 2007, 12:36 PM
Wow. The "Content Creator" for the iPod touch features manual is listed as FrameMaker 6.0.

FrameMaker 6.0 came out 7 years ago, and runs on Mac OS 9 or below.

animenick65
Sep 12, 2007, 01:00 PM
Weird, Amazon has a ship date of September 30th too. I'm not expecting mine until after that.

jockmock
Sep 12, 2007, 01:03 PM
In that manual, there is a picture of the touch in iTunes.. It has 14.64GB free. I think that's what we 16giggers can expect to get on our new ipods

chicagopepper
Sep 12, 2007, 01:03 PM
Just ordered from apple.com! Hopefully they end up shipping sooner than the 28th.........

animenick65
Sep 12, 2007, 01:06 PM
Doesn't that seem like a lot of space to take up for a device like this? Especially for a device with so many disabled features.

screensaver400
Sep 12, 2007, 01:08 PM
Doesn't that seem like a lot of space to take up for a device like this? Especially for a device with so many disabled features.

Maybe they actually are disabled, as opposed to being absent.

Steve: "We know a lot of iPod touch users wanted to use our great Weather and Stocks applications, so we're now turning them on!"

*x-files music*

whistler72
Sep 12, 2007, 01:10 PM
I'm so proud of myself.. I convinced a friend to buy a Touch!!

jockmock
Sep 12, 2007, 01:30 PM
The 16GB model have 15.25Gb real space... Then the software takes up more space. It is not impossible that 14.64 GB is what it will have when we get it.

Note that in the manual there is information for the calendar. Is it not slated?

nirvana06
Sep 12, 2007, 02:01 PM
somebody call Apple to see when they plan on shipping the Touch. I'm getting tired of waiting. :eek:

Offe
Sep 12, 2007, 02:03 PM
somebody call Apple to see when they plan on shipping the Touch. I'm getting tired of waiting. :eek:

Yes, please somebody, do that. I would have done it myself but here in sweden they have closed for today.

dextertangocci
Sep 12, 2007, 02:42 PM
I'm going to Washington DC from September 22 - 26.. do you think there's a chance I might get one from an Apple store there?

I hope so... I know Apple likes pushing deadlines.. like me:D

screensaver400
Sep 12, 2007, 03:30 PM
I just called, and the rep ("Michael") said it the most up to date information he could give me was that they would ship on or before the 28th, with the 28th being the latest. I pushed him pretty hard, but he wouldn't say anything more.

nirvana06
Sep 12, 2007, 05:34 PM
I just called, and the rep ("Michael") said it the most up to date information he could give me was that they would ship on or before the 28th, with the 28th being the latest. I pushed him pretty hard, but he wouldn't say anything more.

blah...i guess thats what they are told to go with. Ships before 28th, nothing more. :(

w0ngbr4d
Sep 12, 2007, 05:59 PM
My AMEX available credit has dropped $422.21, the price of the Touch.

Shipping soon? Quite possibly.

screensaver400
Sep 12, 2007, 06:02 PM
My AMEX available credit has dropped $422.21, the price of the Touch.

Shipping soon? Quite possibly.

When did you place your order?

I placed my order at 12:21PM PDT on September 5th, and my card hasn't been charged yet. Mine should be one of the first ones shipped.

w0ngbr4d
Sep 12, 2007, 06:04 PM
When did you place your order?

Sep 6, 2007 at 06:17 AM PDT

screensaver400
Sep 12, 2007, 06:09 PM
Sep 6, 2007 at 06:17 AM PDT

Hmm... If you had just ordered it a few moments ago, I would say that Apple was just placing a hold on the funds, which they always do, before removing the hold. They will then charge your card right before shipment.

However, since you ordered it several days ago this is unlikely. It's odd that you'd be charged before me, though, since mine was ordered a day before you.

w0ngbr4d
Sep 12, 2007, 06:24 PM
It's odd that you'd be charged before me, though, since mine was ordered a day before you.

Bank delays? It might show up at different times.

I was kinda hoping that it wouldn't have been charged till after the 26th. Grace period ftw!

astrostu
Sep 12, 2007, 06:31 PM
Hmm... If you had just ordered it a few moments ago, I would say that Apple was just placing a hold on the funds, which they always do, before removing the hold. They will then charge your card right before shipment.

However, since you ordered it several days ago this is unlikely. It's odd that you'd be charged before me, though, since mine was ordered a day before you.

Yeah, I just checked my AmEx card and it hasn't been charged yet. I ordered on Sept. 5 at 1:32 PM Mountain time.

I'm really trying to NOT get my hopes up of an early delivery, and posts like this don't help me, people! ;)

TheSpaz
Sep 12, 2007, 07:55 PM
Mine just shipped! I ordered on Sept. 5th just after the Apple Store became available!

Just kidding though. The wait is KILLING me!
Yeah, I'm a jerk... I know. *wink*

nirvana06
Sep 12, 2007, 07:56 PM
meh....

magicjames92
Sep 12, 2007, 07:58 PM
Mine just shipped! I ordered on Sept. 5th just after the Apple Store became available!

Just kidding though. The wait is KILLING me!
Yeah, I'm a jerk... I know. *wink*

pic or it didnt happen. o wait...

ivan a rom
Sep 12, 2007, 09:34 PM
I hope thespaz is serious...:confused:

TouchedByAl
Sep 12, 2007, 09:38 PM
Hey everyone my names Alan...it's my first post in here and the 16 gig ipod touch is my first apple purchase ever! I waited and waited through all the ipods that have been released...I even held off on getting a video ipod last year waiting to see what apple would come up with next..and once the iphone made its showing my jaw dropped to the floor. Well i'm sure glad I waited as I can get those features minus the phone part and I can't wait! Anyways i'm sure i'll be posting quite often in here but I just wanted to drop by and say hi and share my enthusiasm for this incredible product :).

wakerider017
Sep 12, 2007, 09:56 PM
I hope thespaz is serious...:confused:

He is lying... If Apple was shipping the Touch you would know about it...

1 million people would have posted that there order was "prepared for shipment"

ivan a rom
Sep 12, 2007, 11:38 PM
I didn't get my hopes up.

jok
Sep 13, 2007, 04:46 AM
The 16GB model have 15.25Gb real space... Then the software takes up more space. It is not impossible that 14.64 GB is what it will have when we get it.

Note that in the manual there is information for the calendar. Is it not slated?

Humm.. which means that us, poor 8Giggers will only get 6.64Gb... pfffff

w0ngbr4d
Sep 13, 2007, 06:15 AM
I just called AMEX and the guy said that it is just an authorization. The card HAS NOT been charged yet.

No shipping yet I guess.

magicjames92
Sep 13, 2007, 06:23 AM
ugh, 3 more weeks

jockmock
Sep 13, 2007, 06:37 AM
Humm.. which means that us, poor 8Giggers will only get 6.64Gb... pfffff

it will be somewhat more... around 7.2Gb actually
I though wrong before. The 16GB doesn't have 15.25GB real space, it only has 14.9GB. That means the software takes up about 0.26Gb. The 8Gb however, has around 7.45Gb real space, which means that you can count on at least 7.2Gb of free space when you get it. I'm not sure how iTunes count the gigabytes though. Let's hope it counts in the real format, otherwise it would have even less space

iCantwait
Sep 13, 2007, 07:32 AM
I WANT MY iPOD

jok
Sep 13, 2007, 08:22 AM
it will be somewhat more... around 7.2Gb actually
I though wrong before. The 16GB doesn't have 15.25GB real space, it only has 14.9GB. That means the software takes up about 0.26Gb. The 8Gb however, has around 7.45Gb real space, which means that you can count on at least 7.2Gb of free space when you get it. I'm not sure how iTunes count the gigabytes though. Let's hope it counts in the real format, otherwise it would have even less space

Ok, thank's jockmock!

And now a poll: when do you think (not hope, rationally think!) they'll send our Touchs?
I bet they will be sent the 21st or the 24th and that we'll receive our expected Ipod's between the 25th and the 28th.. (at least for those who have non-engraved ipod's...)

telf22
Sep 13, 2007, 10:27 AM
Ok, thank's jockmock!

And now a poll: when do you think (not hope, rationally think!) they'll send our Touchs?
I bet they will be sent the 21st or the 24th and that we'll receive our expected Ipod's between the 25th and the 28th.. (at least for those who have non-engraved ipod's...)

I agree with you! i cant wait any longer.

nirvana06
Sep 13, 2007, 10:52 AM
Ok, thank's jockmock!

I already said a while back, i predict first shipment on 24th. In order to ship all Touch orders they need to start shipping some early.

shoelessone
Sep 13, 2007, 10:58 AM
Please don't shoot me, but I sort of hope they are released on the 27th or 28th... I'll be driving to Grand Rapids, MI (home) for a long weekend so I'll be by an Apple store.

For me, part of the experience of buying an Apple product is going into the store to pick it up. I drove 4 hours to buy my MacBook Pro, for instance :)

Anyway, my concern is that the stores will sell out of 16gb touches before I can get to them, if they come out earlier than the 27th/28th.

PowerFullMac
Sep 13, 2007, 11:05 AM
I might order one to get a engraving that says:

My iPod is better
than yours! Ha!

Or... do what shoelessone said and go to a Apple store to get one, more fun that way, but they might be out of stock and I wont be able to get a engraving that way.

gloss
Sep 13, 2007, 11:14 AM

My iPod is better
than yours! Ha!

lol.

They should honestly allow three lines so we can get some classy haiku on there.

shoelessone
Sep 13, 2007, 11:24 AM

My iPod is better
than yours! Ha!

Or... do what shoelessone said and go to a Apple store to get one, more fun that way, but they might be out of stock and I wont be able to get a engraving that way.

Man, I just couldn't bare having something written on the back of my expensive technology like that.

I suppose folks such as yourself tend to keep your gadgets for a while, but I normally sell my stuff every year (max, generally) to upgarde. It's how I manage to afford the latest gadgets. But having something engraved on the back really decreases the resale value.

I bet that's why Apple offers free engraving. Once an iPod is engraved, it's sort of "bonded" to the original buyer, meaning less buying/selling of used items, so more new itesm sold.

PowerFullMac
Sep 13, 2007, 11:30 AM
Yep, im a gadget keeper. I only get new gadgets if I really need to. I got my current 1G Nano from the Apple refurb store and thats the only reason it dosent have the same thing on the back :D

aidanpendragon
Sep 13, 2007, 11:38 AM
I bet that's why Apple offers free engraving. Once an iPod is engraved, it's sort of "bonded" to the original buyer, meaning less buying/selling of used items, so more new itesm sold.

That and you can't return it, even if new.

PowerFullMac
Sep 13, 2007, 11:42 AM
That and you can't return it, even if new.

But you can if something goes wrong and its still under warranty right?

jok
Sep 13, 2007, 11:46 AM
But you can if something goes wrong and its still under warranty right?

yes you can

PowerFullMac
Sep 13, 2007, 11:48 AM
Cool, unless something is wrong with it there is no way im taking it back anyway. Any suggestions for other funny (but non-offensive) tech-related stuff I could get engraved? Anti-Micro$oft stuff is also most welcome :D

jockmock
Sep 13, 2007, 11:52 AM
Steve Jobs is God! That would have been funny as hell

Stang68
Sep 13, 2007, 12:06 PM
hey guys, i think you might want to check this out...

http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?messageID=5338058#5338058

shoelessone
Sep 13, 2007, 12:07 PM
Cool, unless something is wrong with it there is no way im taking it back anyway. Any suggestions for other funny (but non-offensive) tech-related stuff I could get engraved? Anti-Micro$oft stuff is also most welcome :D

how about:

I engraved this so
now I can't return it

or

I spell microsoft
micblo$ucks :cool:

Stang68
Sep 13, 2007, 12:13 PM
guys, lets remember the point of this thread. We are talking about the touch ship dates, not the engravings.:o

also, check this link. We may see the touch in stores this week! (tomorrow?)

PowerFullMac
Sep 13, 2007, 12:21 PM
guys, lets remember the point of this thread. We are talking about the touch ship dates, not the engravings.:o

also, check this link. We may see the touch in stores this week! (tomorrow?)

Good point I would have made another thread about it but that would just bulk up the forum.

Hope they do hit stores this week.

And... thanks shoelessone like the second one :D

aidanpendragon
Sep 13, 2007, 01:03 PM
Steve Jobs is God! That would have been funny as hell

"Zune 2.0 TM
By Microsoft"

:rolleyes:

...but yeah, ship dates, I'd expect not to hear anything sooner than the 21st, or 1 week prior to the estimate.

Does anyone think these will be shipping directly from China/Taiwan (as many Macs apparently are)?

cookblaze
Sep 13, 2007, 01:13 PM
USA today says they'll be available this week:

The Wi-Fi store was flawless in tests on the Touch, which Apple says will hit retailers later this week. Wi-Fi downloads, which will require a software update for iPhone owners, will also be available by then.

http://www.usatoday.com/tech/columnist/edwardbaig/2007-09-12-ipod-touch_N.htm

gloss
Sep 13, 2007, 01:22 PM

Your head a splode.

nirvana06
Sep 13, 2007, 01:26 PM

why was that under itunes wifi store column? Is it possible that the store will launch later this week?

caMi
Sep 13, 2007, 01:27 PM
why was that under itunes wifi store column? Is it possible that the store will launch later this week?

Ya that is strange. How can the store launch with out the Touch though?

Markleshark
Sep 13, 2007, 01:29 PM
For the iPhone.

I just cancelled my Universal Dock as well, stupid thing would have held up my order. Just means I'll have to pay for shipping on it separate at a later date, tar well.

sdfd504
Sep 13, 2007, 01:29 PM

They are just saying that the Wifi Store will be up by then not that the iPod Touch will be shipping.

cookblaze
Sep 13, 2007, 02:00 PM
They are just saying that the Wifi Store will be up by then not that the iPod Touch will be shipping.

They say that it will hit retailers...I don't think the Wifi store will be in retail stores.

PygmySurfer
Sep 13, 2007, 02:03 PM
For the iPhone.

I just cancelled my Universal Dock as well, stupid thing would have held up my order. Just means I'll have to pay for shipping on it separate at a later date, tar well.

That's weird - I thought Apple normally ships each item "when its available" rather than sticking them all together in one shipment.

caMi
Sep 13, 2007, 02:04 PM

This is the quote:

The Wi-Fi store was flawless in tests on the Touch, which Apple says will hit retailers later this week. Wi-Fi downloads, which will require a software update for iPhone owners, will also be available by then.

It says "something" (inferred iPod Touch) will hit stores later this week AND the ITMS for iPhone will also be available later this week.

The ITMS alone can not "hit retailers later this week".

Maybe tomorrow if we are lucky.

caMi
Sep 13, 2007, 02:04 PM
For the iPhone.

You could order your dock from Amazon.

Markleshark
Sep 13, 2007, 02:08 PM
Nah, I'll just wait for Leopard and get the dock and Leopard together from Apple.

No rush for the dock, I just like them. Shame it was going to slow down my touch (By almost a week) Was shipping 3rd of October, now by the 28th of September.

caMi
Sep 13, 2007, 02:13 PM
Nah, I'll just wait for Leopard and get the dock and Leopard together from Apple.

No rush for the dock, I just like them. Shame it was going to slow down my touch (By almost a week) Was shipping 3rd of October, now by the 28th of September.

That is a good idea. When do you think Leopard will be shipping. (If you had to guess)

Markleshark
Sep 13, 2007, 02:20 PM
Looking like the end of next month. Thats what I'm hoping anyway. Never mind though, I'll have my touch to play with until then. :D

nirvana06
Sep 13, 2007, 03:22 PM
I'm not happy. Apparently some stores in the States already have the Touch. Why have not online orders have been shipped yet? :mad:

Markleshark
Sep 13, 2007, 03:42 PM
I'm not happy. Apparently some stores in the States already have the Touch. Why have not online orders have been shipped yet? :mad:

Just because... Get over it.

Mtirv
Sep 13, 2007, 03:50 PM

And.. that's why I avoid ordering online ;)

nirvana06
Sep 13, 2007, 03:53 PM
And.. that's why I avoid ordering online ;)

Im in Canada and i called my local store and they gave me the usual story. 28th of september blah blah blah.... still , i should get it before our stores get theirs.

Mtirv
Sep 13, 2007, 04:06 PM
Im in Canada and i called my local store and they gave me the usual story. 28th of september blah blah blah.... still , i should get it before our stores get theirs.

Like mentioned in the Troy Michigan thread though, that's going to be the story no matter what, because the staff of the stores don't even know when the iPods are going to be in stock.

astrostu
Sep 13, 2007, 04:42 PM

As with other things, I think this is a simple grammatical mistake (dangling participle and careless author). I think the "which Apple says" refers to the Wi-Fi store, but the USA Today author didn't realize that. Because they didn't, they assumed it's the Touch that will be available later this week, and hence the author added the part about "will hit retailers later this week." I would guess Apple said the Wi-Fi store would "be available" later this week, and the author just didn't realize it.

Another reason why I think this is probably the case is that I don't see Apple "leaking" to a simple news story that shipping of the Touches would happen 2-3 weeks before they said it'd be available otherwise ... I think there'd be a bigger announcement.

That being said, I'm hoping (well, trying not to get my hopes up, actually) that the previous two paragraphs are not true, and that the Touch will be shipping later this week. But I think it's unlikely.

caMi
Sep 13, 2007, 04:56 PM
As with other things, I think this is a simple grammatical mistake (dangling participle and careless author). I think the "which Apple says" refers to the Wi-Fi store, but the USA Today author didn't realize that. Because they didn't, they assumed it's the Touch that will be available later this week, and hence the author added the part about "will hit retailers later this week." I would guess Apple said the Wi-Fi store would "be available" later this week, and the author just didn't realize it.

Another reason why I think this is probably the case is that I don't see Apple "leaking" to a simple news story that shipping of the Touches would happen 2-3 weeks before they said it'd be available otherwise ... I think there'd be a bigger announcement.

That being said, I'm hoping (well, trying not to get my hopes up, actually) that the previous two paragraphs are not true, and that the Touch will be shipping later this week. But I think it's unlikely.

It is already been proven true... Look around the forums.

sdfd504
Sep 13, 2007, 05:01 PM
Well I will have to say that I was wrong it appears. My 8gb touch just changed to prepared to shipment so it does look like they will be shipping soon.

TheSpaz
Sep 13, 2007, 05:21 PM
Well I will have to say that I was wrong it appears. My 8gb touch just changed to prepared to shipment so it does look like they will be shipping soon.

Are you serious? Mine hasn't changed yet. When did you order?

astrostu
Sep 13, 2007, 06:02 PM
It is already been proven true... Look around the forums.

As of when I posted that, it was true. :)

The posts with the pics (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=354541) wasn't made 'til 10 minutes later. ;)

DarkNetworks
Sep 13, 2007, 07:29 PM
It's almost mid-Sept now, not too long to go and judging by the fact that they're in-stores now, it won't be too long...I've just bought the iPod socks today, for my shipping soon iPod touch xD

TheSpaz
Sep 13, 2007, 09:01 PM
MY STATUS NOW SAYS "Prepared for Shipment"! Woohoo! I'm not kidding this time! Shouldn't take too much longer!

jockmock
Sep 14, 2007, 12:19 AM
MY STATUS NOW SAYS "Prepared for Shipment"! Woohoo! I'm not kidding this time! Shouldn't take too much longer!

nice! which country do you live in and when did your order it?

Sir. Cheesecake
Sep 14, 2007, 12:22 AM
he lives in the us.

jacktiernan
Sep 14, 2007, 12:56 AM
Just spoke to an extremely helpful guy at apple australia, when i told him that ipod touchs had started to arrive in USA stores he said that he did know that but that sadly, australia will have to wait.

He told me that he was really sorry, but he seriously doubts that we will see them shipped before the 25th-26th and that he had recieved information today that confirmed that.

He also mentioned that part of the delay was due to the fact that there was some tweaking in the australian ipod touch due to differences in wireless internet here.

Sorry all, I hope i'm wrong... and i had all but convinced myself it would ship next week, but alas, it seems we will have to wait.

So diappointed. I want it now :(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(

aswitcher
Sep 14, 2007, 01:37 AM
He also mentioned that part of the delay was due to the fact that there was some tweaking in the australian ipod touch due to differences in wireless internet here.

? Thanks for looking into this but tweaking the wireless sounds extremely odd. Maybe they are removing the StarBucks stuff...but besides that I cant imagine whats different as its all international standards.

mithykal
Sep 14, 2007, 01:42 AM
? Thanks for looking into this but tweaking the wireless sounds extremely odd. Maybe they are removing the StarBucks stuff...but besides that I cant imagine whats different as its all international standards.

yer, wifi is wifi no mater where you are. If you are going to America you don't 'tweak' your laptop so you can use it on American wifi.
I think the Apple guy told you what you wanted to hear, not the truth....which is that he doesnt have a clue.

jacktiernan
Sep 14, 2007, 01:49 AM
yer, wifi is wifi no mater where you are. If you are going to America you don't 'tweak' your laptop so you can use it on American wifi.
I think the Apple guy told you what you wanted to hear, not the truth....which is that he doesnt have a clue.

I hope you guys are right, and i agree - he must be talking about starbucks. But he REALLY sounded very certain that it wouldn't ship in the next week.

Hope you're right. Hope he's wong. But i'm feeling a bit deflated. :(

lundi
Sep 14, 2007, 03:31 AM
It's true that wifi (channels) is not the same all over the world.
The wifi channel's are as follows

1 US/Europe
2 US/Europe
3 US/Europe
4 US/Europe
5 US/Europe
6 US/Europe
7 US/Europe
8 US/Europe
9 US/Europe
10 US/Europe/France/Spain
11 US/Europe/France/Spain
12 Europe/France
13 Europe/France
14 Japan

Ithink the guy at the apple store knows what he is talking about:)

aswitcher
Sep 14, 2007, 04:30 AM
It's true that wifi (channels) is not the same all over the world.
The wifi channel's are as follows

1 US/Europe
2 US/Europe
3 US/Europe
4 US/Europe
5 US/Europe
6 US/Europe
7 US/Europe
8 US/Europe
9 US/Europe
10 US/Europe/France/Spain
11 US/Europe/France/Spain
12 Europe/France
13 Europe/France
14 Japan

Ithink the guy at the apple store knows what he is talking about:)

Very true - this could well be the issue. I had forgotten about this.

jacktiernan
Sep 14, 2007, 04:50 AM

SHUN the non-believers..... SSSSSHHHHHHUUUUUNNNNNNNNN

lol.

ok. bummer. guess we're waiting 2 more weeks.......

AAARRRRRGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH :(

jockmock
Sep 14, 2007, 07:58 AM

You could maybe see this in the fact that we all have different names of the ipod touch in our orders. My Touch ends with 16G-ZGG. I know I've seen some other codes in this thread.

aidanpendragon
Sep 14, 2007, 08:19 AM
My 16GB Touch, ordered about 20 min. after the store reopened on 9/5, is now also "prepared for shipment." Still, if stores already have them - I need that thing like last week.

(this is US)

jok
Sep 14, 2007, 09:45 AM
You could maybe see this in the fact that we all have different names of the ipod touch in our orders. My Touch ends with 16G-ZGG. I know I've seen some other codes in this thread.

True, You, americans have a "16G-USA" Ipod, Jockmock has a "16G-ZGG" (were dou U live?) and I (french) have a "8G-ZKK"...
do anyone know what it might mean? It might depend on the country where you purchased it?...

TheSpaz
Sep 14, 2007, 10:09 AM
I want my iPod right now! It sucks that other people are just going to the stores and getting them while I still wait for it to be "Officially Released" (as an Apple Representative put it). :-(

aswitcher
Sep 14, 2007, 12:17 PM

Mine ends in ITP

Maybe International?