Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

astrostu

macrumors 6502
Feb 15, 2007
USA today says they'll be available this week:

The Wi-Fi store was flawless in tests on the Touch, which Apple says will hit retailers later this week. Wi-Fi downloads, which will require a software update for iPhone owners, will also be available by then.

http://www.usatoday.com/tech/columnist/edwardbaig/2007-09-12-ipod-touch_N.htm

As with other things, I think this is a simple grammatical mistake (dangling participle and careless author). I think the "which Apple says" refers to the Wi-Fi store, but the USA Today author didn't realize that. Because they didn't, they assumed it's the Touch that will be available later this week, and hence the author added the part about "will hit retailers later this week." I would guess Apple said the Wi-Fi store would "be available" later this week, and the author just didn't realize it.

Another reason why I think this is probably the case is that I don't see Apple "leaking" to a simple news story that shipping of the Touches would happen 2-3 weeks before they said it'd be available otherwise ... I think there'd be a bigger announcement.

That being said, I'm hoping (well, trying not to get my hopes up, actually) that the previous two paragraphs are not true, and that the Touch will be shipping later this week. But I think it's unlikely.

caMi

macrumors regular
Sep 13, 2007
As with other things, I think this is a simple grammatical mistake (dangling participle and careless author). I think the "which Apple says" refers to the Wi-Fi store, but the USA Today author didn't realize that. Because they didn't, they assumed it's the Touch that will be available later this week, and hence the author added the part about "will hit retailers later this week." I would guess Apple said the Wi-Fi store would "be available" later this week, and the author just didn't realize it.

Another reason why I think this is probably the case is that I don't see Apple "leaking" to a simple news story that shipping of the Touches would happen 2-3 weeks before they said it'd be available otherwise ... I think there'd be a bigger announcement.

That being said, I'm hoping (well, trying not to get my hopes up, actually) that the previous two paragraphs are not true, and that the Touch will be shipping later this week. But I think it's unlikely.

It is already been proven true... Look around the forums.

sdfd504

macrumors regular
Jul 16, 2007
Soddy Daisy, TN
Well I will have to say that I was wrong it appears. My 8gb touch just changed to prepared to shipment so it does look like they will be shipping soon.

TheSpaz

macrumors 604
Jun 20, 2005
Well I will have to say that I was wrong it appears. My 8gb touch just changed to prepared to shipment so it does look like they will be shipping soon.

Are you serious? Mine hasn't changed yet. When did you order?

DarkNetworks

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Apr 12, 2005
It's almost mid-Sept now, not too long to go and judging by the fact that they're in-stores now, it won't be too long...I've just bought the iPod socks today, for my shipping soon iPod touch xD

TheSpaz

macrumors 604
Jun 20, 2005
MY STATUS NOW SAYS "Prepared for Shipment"! Woohoo! I'm not kidding this time! Shouldn't take too much longer!

jacktiernan

macrumors regular
Sep 3, 2007
Vic, Australia
Australia..... it seems we don't matter :(

Just spoke to an extremely helpful guy at apple australia, when i told him that ipod touchs had started to arrive in USA stores he said that he did know that but that sadly, australia will have to wait.

He told me that he was really sorry, but he seriously doubts that we will see them shipped before the 25th-26th and that he had recieved information today that confirmed that.

He also mentioned that part of the delay was due to the fact that there was some tweaking in the australian ipod touch due to differences in wireless internet here.

Sorry all, I hope i'm wrong... and i had all but convinced myself it would ship next week, but alas, it seems we will have to wait.

So diappointed. I want it now :(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(

aswitcher

macrumors 603
Oct 8, 2003
Canberra OZ
He also mentioned that part of the delay was due to the fact that there was some tweaking in the australian ipod touch due to differences in wireless internet here.

? Thanks for looking into this but tweaking the wireless sounds extremely odd. Maybe they are removing the StarBucks stuff...but besides that I cant imagine whats different as its all international standards.

mithykal

macrumors regular
Sep 5, 2007
? Thanks for looking into this but tweaking the wireless sounds extremely odd. Maybe they are removing the StarBucks stuff...but besides that I cant imagine whats different as its all international standards.

yer, wifi is wifi no mater where you are. If you are going to America you don't 'tweak' your laptop so you can use it on American wifi.
I think the Apple guy told you what you wanted to hear, not the truth....which is that he doesnt have a clue.

jacktiernan

macrumors regular
Sep 3, 2007
Vic, Australia
yer, wifi is wifi no mater where you are. If you are going to America you don't 'tweak' your laptop so you can use it on American wifi.
I think the Apple guy told you what you wanted to hear, not the truth....which is that he doesnt have a clue.

I hope you guys are right, and i agree - he must be talking about starbucks. But he REALLY sounded very certain that it wouldn't ship in the next week.

Hope you're right. Hope he's wong. But i'm feeling a bit deflated. :(

lundi

macrumors newbie
Sep 14, 2007
It's true that wifi (channels) is not the same all over the world.
The wifi channel's are as follows

1 US/Europe
2 US/Europe
3 US/Europe
4 US/Europe
5 US/Europe
6 US/Europe
7 US/Europe
8 US/Europe
9 US/Europe
10 US/Europe/France/Spain
11 US/Europe/France/Spain
12 Europe/France
13 Europe/France
14 Japan

Ithink the guy at the apple store knows what he is talking about:)

aswitcher

macrumors 603
Oct 8, 2003
Canberra OZ
It's true that wifi (channels) is not the same all over the world.
The wifi channel's are as follows

1 US/Europe
2 US/Europe
3 US/Europe
4 US/Europe
5 US/Europe
6 US/Europe
7 US/Europe
8 US/Europe
9 US/Europe
10 US/Europe/France/Spain
11 US/Europe/France/Spain
12 Europe/France
13 Europe/France
14 Japan

Ithink the guy at the apple store knows what he is talking about:)

Very true - this could well be the issue. I had forgotten about this.

jockmock

macrumors regular
Sep 3, 2007
Very true - this could well be the issue. I had forgotten about this.

You could maybe see this in the fact that we all have different names of the ipod touch in our orders. My Touch ends with 16G-ZGG. I know I've seen some other codes in this thread.

aidanpendragon

macrumors 6502a
Jul 26, 2005
My 16GB Touch, ordered about 20 min. after the store reopened on 9/5, is now also "prepared for shipment." Still, if stores already have them - I need that thing like last week.

(this is US)

jok

macrumors newbie
Sep 12, 2007
France
You could maybe see this in the fact that we all have different names of the ipod touch in our orders. My Touch ends with 16G-ZGG. I know I've seen some other codes in this thread.

True, You, americans have a "16G-USA" Ipod, Jockmock has a "16G-ZGG" (were dou U live?) and I (french) have a "8G-ZKK"...
do anyone know what it might mean? It might depend on the country where you purchased it?...

TheSpaz

macrumors 604
Jun 20, 2005
I want my iPod right now! It sucks that other people are just going to the stores and getting them while I still wait for it to be "Officially Released" (as an Apple Representative put it). :-(

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.