PDA

View Full Version : How to Fix Slow Mac Wireless Internet!

Dennin
Sep 22, 2007, 10:06 AM
For some time now, I have noticed that my Mac's internet is running super slow. I am saying slower than what I see on my PeeCee (Used for gaming such as CSS and Half-Life)! So, I set out on a Google journey to find that a lot of people have been having the same problem with they Airport. It seems that in some Apple updates, the Airports are having issues. So, I tried to fix it and I came up with this wonderful guide. My internet now loads Facebook in 3 sec instead of the 30 sec it was before and I can watch my good old YouTube videos in a flash.

First, Open your "System Preferences";
http://img511.imageshack.us/img511/4505/picture1ab4.png

Next, go to your "Network" settings;
http://img511.imageshack.us/img511/2963/picture2sp0.png

From there, make sure Airport is highlighted and click "Configure";
http://img70.imageshack.us/img70/1606/picture3ph1.png

Click the "TCP/IP" tab;
http://img405.imageshack.us/img405/4931/picture4nt8.png

Type 4.2.2.1 into the blank DNS Servers box, hit return and type 4.2.2.2 then click the "Apply Now" button like so;
http://img105.imageshack.us/img105/6686/picture5sp0.png

Your internet may restart, but it will come back on right after you hit Apply! And your internet should now return to speeds like it used to have.

I am running 10.4.10 and I am proud to say my Internet is fast as hell. :apple:

- Dennin

bluefiberoptics
Sep 22, 2007, 12:57 PM
I would recommend trying OpenDNS's servers.
http://opendns.com

coqui52
Jul 13, 2008, 01:44 AM
This really worked!!!

A dream come true!

I mean I don't know if it was luck or what was it, but it seems to be working really really really good!

can you explain to me what did that do!?

blueflame
Jul 13, 2008, 01:55 AM
make the multicast rate higher, and limit yourself to 802.11n only 5ghz

gusious
Jul 13, 2008, 08:28 AM
What's the catch?

pjarvi
Jul 13, 2008, 11:59 AM
You don't have to use 4.2.2.x, you can just use the DNS addresses of your ISP to get similar speed improvements. It's not specific to Airport's either, it affects wired connections as well.

Mr_Brightside_@
Jul 13, 2008, 12:09 PM
What does this do?

luckyratfoot
Aug 11, 2008, 06:25 PM
Thanks for this post it has really helped out. Just go us a Mac in the house and all my wife could say is it's slow because of the internet slow issue. She was right, but the methods in this post helped. I ended up going with the OpenDNS solution ultimately though.

Thanks again

agentphish
Aug 11, 2008, 10:40 PM
yeh I notice a lot of ISP DNS servers blow. I don't like the comcast ones where I am. Nice tip, but there's lots of them out there.

PcBgone
Aug 12, 2008, 09:26 PM
I tried the opendns servers, and my pings went up by about 4ms, and my downloads went down by about 400Kbs...

I went back to my isp dns, and was a lot snappier..

JFZcomer
Sep 7, 2008, 12:16 PM
Thank you for the tip, this really works. The only thing is that I have to restart the Apple router in the mornings to get connected.:cool:

stanlee
Sep 25, 2008, 11:01 AM
Internet service was slow after an OS update. The steps you outlined worked a treat. Cheers!

aaquib
Sep 27, 2008, 06:29 AM
How exactly do you do this on Leopard?

duckkg5
Oct 14, 2008, 10:40 PM
Yes! I did it and it works! Finally, fast internet!

My settings looked a bit different - I've got 10.5.5 and it had some DNS server things already entered ... I just entered 4.2.2.1 and then 4.2.2.2 and clicked "apply" and all is well.

WilliamG
Oct 19, 2008, 01:56 PM
Wowzers. This fixed my Qwest internet just great! I was having trouble with my new MBP and other OS X systems, but Windows XP Thinkpad was giving trouble. This fixed my Mac interwebs instantly! Great job!

WilliamG
Oct 20, 2008, 04:46 PM
Looks like I spoke too soon. There's no question my Windows Thinkpad loads all web pages faster than my Macs. I'm on Qwest, and I think it's possibly Qwest to blame, but I'm not sure.

Anyone else got any ideas about this? If I connect directly to the Actiontec modem or via my Time Capsule, it's still slow as all heck on all my Macs. :(

emt1
Oct 20, 2008, 07:30 PM
I tried the opendns servers, and my pings went up by about 4ms, and my downloads went down by about 400Kbs...

I went back to my isp dns, and was a lot snappier..

DNS servers have nothing to do with downloads... so it was all in your head.

supermax217
Oct 21, 2008, 08:15 AM
Thanks this solved my problem.

richard.mac
Oct 21, 2008, 08:52 AM
Directions and Screenshots for Leopard:

1. Click System Preferences in the Dock

http://pixelshack.com/img/428082Screencapture 1.png

2. Click the Network preference pane

http://pixelshack.com/img/329858Screencapture 3.png

3. Make sure your your network interface is active (Airport for Me), click the "Advanced" button.
http://pixelshack.com/img/72148Screencapture 8.png
4. Click the "DNS" tab, click the "+" button and enter both addresses then click "OK". ignore the greyed out DNS address its probably your router.

http://pixelshack.com/img/892940Screencapture 7.png

5. Then make sure you click "Apply"

OP's DNS addresses

Open DNS addresses

Open DNS will apart from speeding things up and keeing you safe from phishing will try to re-direct you to the right URL if you make a typo. if it cannot re-direct it will give you an Open DNS Google-like search of what you URL typed.

sangosimo
Oct 21, 2008, 09:03 AM
open dns is probably the safest.

lioness805
Dec 18, 2008, 04:38 PM
I've been searching these forums and trying to understand G vs N wireless rourters. :confused:

I just did this and my imac is MUCH faster!! THANK you for your instructions AND PICTURES!
:)

broncopde
Dec 18, 2008, 08:21 PM
Wirelessly posted (iPod touch: Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5G77 Safari/525.20)

4.2.2.1 and 4.2.2.2 are what I have gears me called the public DNS, correct?

mlpz
Dec 26, 2008, 10:24 PM
I have a mac Pro with dual core 3 GHz processors, 4 MB memory... and this machine made my life was absolutely miserable while navigating on the web. To the point that I was considering getting a PC to do my "Internet stuff", I CAN'T BELIEVE IT!!! it took this post and 5 seconds to have a super fast Internet!

My PC fan husband can not teased me anymore!

T-H-A-N-K-S-! :p

PS. I have a ethernet conection.

angelo27CA
Jan 3, 2009, 11:33 AM
I too am having the slow inernet connection with myMac. Everytime I get out of sleep mode and get on the internet I have to turn my airport off for a minute and turn it back on. Then my internet will work fine. My internet should be blazing fast, I have AT&T Fiber Optic Internet 2Wire. I tried the 4.2.2.1 & the 4.2.2.2 and that worked until I put my Mac into sleep mode again and took it out. Right now I just took out those two and added the open DNS servers 208.67.222.222 & 208.67.220.220. I am hoping this works, this is real frustrating having a brand new computer that crawls on the net.

guklein
Jan 3, 2009, 12:09 PM
I have an iMac. Is it necessary to put Open DNS addresses (208.67.222.222 / 208.67.220.220) for those who run Leopard or entering 4.2.2.1 and then 4.2.2.2 is enough?

My speed connection is so poor..

Codeseven
Jan 4, 2009, 01:35 PM
I too am having the slow inernet connection with myMac. Everytime I get out of sleep mode and get on the internet I have to turn my airport off for a minute and turn it back on. Then my internet will work fine. My internet should be blazing fast, I have AT&T Fiber Optic Internet 2Wire. I tried the 4.2.2.1 & the 4.2.2.2 and that worked until I put my Mac into sleep mode again and took it out. Right now I just took out those two and added the open DNS servers 208.67.222.222 & 208.67.220.220. I am hoping this works, this is real frustrating having a brand new computer that crawls on the net.

Hi Angelo, I also have AT&T 2Wire and a new MacBook Pro. My internet connection seems fast enough but more speed would be great. Did Open DNS Server change work?

Also, what is your internet speed using this free utility?

http://www.speedtest.net/

angelo27CA
Jan 4, 2009, 04:22 PM
Open DNS Server change did not work...I ran the speed test and it timed out at 69% this thing is awful....Any more suggestions besides bringing this back to the Apple store?

1/5/09.........i just did the speed test, here are my results http://www.speedtest.net/result/384875226.png (http://www.speedtest.net)

Codeseven
Jan 4, 2009, 07:33 PM
I tried adding the Open DNS Server addresses in Leopard but saw little change if any. Then i deleted those and added 4.2.2.1 and 4.2.2.2 in DNS, still no change. Were those last two values supposed to be added under TCP/IP instead? If so, how? Thanks

dpma9
Jan 5, 2009, 01:46 AM
I have to hit refresh 2x for pages that have any kind of graphics to get them to load completely. PC has no problem. Using MACBOOK PRO 2.5 10.5.6 with 2wire

frigginnobody
Jan 6, 2009, 01:43 PM
This was a big help!!!!!

Griftor
Jan 10, 2009, 12:50 PM
speedtest.net said I was a little slower, but the machine responds much faster and the internet goes way WAY faster. Thanks for the tips.

hook'em

agillett
Feb 5, 2009, 11:15 PM
Thanks for the suggestions, but I am still running into the same problem. I have two MacBooks. Both are running Leopard 10.5.6. Both run programs nice and fast. They are both running over a wireless internet connection, but one is really slow. And I mean painfully slow.

Any more suggestions? I have checked the network panels and they seem to be set up the same.

thanks,
Alexander

behole
Feb 6, 2009, 09:16 AM
I am having the exact same issue. MBP 2.0 10.5.6. Have to refresh over and over to get pages to load, sometimes nothing. I am so frustrated...i have tried 4.2.2.2, 4.2.2.1 and the open dns. still no help. I feel like i am reading a lot of very similar posts and i cannot figure out if its the 10.5.6 update or what.
I am having wireless withdraw.
thanks
josh

kkmanm
Feb 7, 2009, 01:04 PM
I am having the exact same issue. MBP 2.0 10.5.6. Have to refresh over and over to get pages to load, sometimes nothing. I am so frustrated...i have tried 4.2.2.2, 4.2.2.1 and the open dns. still no help. I feel like i am reading a lot of very similar posts and i cannot figure out if its the 10.5.6 update or what.
I am having wireless withdraw.
thanks
josh

Hey guys,

I maybe have the same problem. My friend is using macbook air and it has a wireless connection with airport express over 802.11g. PC is doing fine with airport express but mac is not.

Open up terminal and ping the router(type: ping 10.0.1.1 and then enter, ctrl-c to stop), I found extremely long response time, sometimes it even reaches more than a thousand mili-seconds to have a packet travels from mac to the router and then way back to mac. By the way, at the same time PC is behaving normally.

I conclude that slow connection is application independent, since the bottleneck happens at connection between mac and the router. I haven't tried the solution originally posted(which is to manually configure DNS server) but I don't think it would work in my case (I'll try doing it when my friend is available though).

The thing is that I'm wondering if you guys have exactly the same problem? If it is maybe we could share our common experiences like what router are you using or if slow connection remains with same mac while using boot camp and hopefully we can identify the cause and find a effective solution.

My friend will also try connecting other access points tomorrow and see if slow ping results remain. I'll get back to you when I have any findings.

daslowtone
Feb 17, 2009, 04:42 PM
This works. thanks. I heard a rumor on the internet saying that Qwest's actiontecs didn't work well with Macs. When I called to get there help and told them my PC was running noticeably faster than my mac they told me.."dollar for dollar your PC is going to get faster wireless than your Mac". plus...even if they're next to each other the mac could be picking up a weaker signal.

alot of it was canned answers. frustrating. but glad I found this.

garymei
Mar 15, 2009, 01:39 AM
OMG Thank you sooooooo Much. I was getting really annoyed with my computer. the 4.2 dns worked the but OP DNS servers worked much better!!!

bunit
Mar 15, 2009, 02:20 AM
My Internet also seemed slow. Just put in the open DNS numbers in and it seems much faster. Thanks.

madina
Apr 30, 2009, 02:47 AM
This is magic! Im with o2 in the UK and was doubtful it would work.
But guess what? It has sorted the wireless connection on my mac!

I'm guessing for some reason the default DNS slowed my wireless down?
I've informed o2 customer support to save them sending out hundreds of routers in an attempt to resolve this issue.

:D

Bacong
Apr 30, 2009, 04:04 AM
Why is this problem affecting so many people?

DoFoT9
Apr 30, 2009, 04:11 AM

it seems that putting in these addresses bypasses your ISPs (or the people your ISPs contracted) DNS servers - these servers are probably VERY fast and up to date with name resolution and whatnot... other then that im not sure why it 'seems' to be working so well..:confused:

philbg
May 11, 2009, 05:03 PM
I've tried so many things including reinstalling my OS and wiping the hard drive. You just made my day/week!

foo1osophy
Jun 17, 2009, 07:58 PM
This worked BRILLIANTLY. Major thanks. Was wondering why Mac OS was so slow, but Windows 7 was blazing fast.

-tWv-
Jun 17, 2009, 09:59 PM
How exactly do you do this on Leopard?

Go to system preferences--> network--> click on your active internet connection--> click on advanced--> then go under the DNS tab and on the left side just use the plus button to add the server numbers

EDIT: After actually trying this and messing with my browser for a while, I DEFINITELY noticed a difference in the speed at which things loaded. Everyone should do this!

nizmoz
Jun 18, 2009, 08:19 AM
Not sure if this is the same issue but at work my wireless is fast. When I am at home my wireless is slow. It takes a long time to respond to each webpage I go to. It just says loading, then it says eventually found.. Like 15 seconds per page. Now I have two wireless routers, and if I connect into the older wireless router that isn't wireless N, it is fast! Only the N one is slow on this machine. My other pc's all are zippy with it in the house.

Any ideas?

DoFoT9
Jun 18, 2009, 08:40 AM
Not sure if this is the same issue but at work my wireless is fast. When I am at home my wireless is slow. It takes a long time to respond to each webpage I go to. It just says loading, then it says eventually found.. Like 15 seconds per page. Now I have two wireless routers, and if I connect into the older wireless router that isn't wireless N, it is fast! Only the N one is slow on this machine. My other pc's all are zippy with it in the house.

Any ideas?

thats odd indeed, is the N router a "piggy back" type thing to the older one, or is it on a completely separate network? also, make sure that there are no network conflicts. make sure your checking different webpages too (some might be going slow at the time or something)

KingYaba
Jun 18, 2009, 09:27 AM
Two wireless routers in the same house? Could there be interference issues?

nizmoz
Jun 18, 2009, 12:44 PM
thats odd indeed, is the N router a "piggy back" type thing to the older one, or is it on a completely separate network? also, make sure that there are no network conflicts. make sure your checking different webpages too (some might be going slow at the time or something)

Completely separate. Any webpage I go to, even checking my mail is slow with my MAC on that wireless router.

nizmoz
Jun 18, 2009, 12:45 PM
Two wireless routers in the same house? Could there be interference issues?

Different names. I can see my neighbors too. So I doubt that.

-tWv-
Jun 18, 2009, 12:55 PM
Different names. I can see my neighbors too. So I doubt that.

Make sure they are on different channels, if they aren't there could be some interference issues.

hr10
Jun 21, 2009, 11:34 AM
Great Stuff! It works for me!

Thanks

napalmit
Jun 22, 2009, 01:00 AM
Does anyone else just get little boxes with '?' marks in it where the pictures are suppose to be for Leopard?

Do I need an update(just got the computer a few hours ago)?

leesweet
Jun 27, 2009, 04:22 PM
Um, 4.2.2.x DNS servers are actually AT&Ts old DNS servers. People use them to test if their DNS is crap or not. I'd not use them 'permanently', as you never know when they might restrict them to commercial/home customers.

My company (and I, and a lot of people I know) are usng OpenDNS's DNS. It's free, and you get great stats on what your PCs/iPhone is using.

As others have said. check out www.opendns.com

m2peters
Jun 27, 2009, 08:43 PM
I'm new to mac's, only had mine 3 weeks and have loved it so far, except for my snail paced internet, despite my PC's working fine. This worked like a charm, thanks!

millions
Jun 28, 2009, 12:25 PM
my pc on wireless has a speedtest of:

download 4.48mbps
upload 1.17mbps

It was about twice that on the previous test.

My macbook pro has a test of:

download 0.24mb/s
upload 0.30mb/s

It's ridiculously slow, and that's after adding the open dns servers a few days ago. any other ideas?

Underwrld
Jul 26, 2009, 09:04 AM
Thanks Dennin! It works!

thesonata17
Jul 29, 2009, 02:01 PM
my pc on wireless has a speedtest of:

download 4.48mbps
upload 1.17mbps

It was about twice that on the previous test.

My macbook pro has a test of:

download 0.24mb/s
upload 0.30mb/s

It's ridiculously slow, and that's after adding the open dns servers a few days ago. any other ideas?

I'm having the same problem on my macbook. I just bought it a few months ago and it's always had slow internet. I used the open dns servers, and my mac is still extremely slow. I also tried the dns servers that Dennin gave, but nothing changed. Do you think if I brought it back to the Apple Store they would help?

LarryF
Aug 2, 2009, 01:55 AM
I've had my macbook pro for almost three years now and have basically gotten used to the internet speeds I get. That is, until I put my hands on someone else's pc laptop. I'm always impressed (and depressed) at how much faster browsing is on what I've always believed were inferior laptops. It happened again yesterday, as one of my coworkers brought in an old Thinkpad to work. I was giving him some hands-on lessons on bookmarking, tabbed browsing and etc. I couldn't believe how much faster that little thing was than my $2000 mbp. I've tinkered and toyed with the network settings to no avail. If I had to do it again I would have saved some money (and heartache) and gone with a Thinkpad. I never thought I'd see the day that I'd think this way, but enough is enough. What ever happened to "Macs just work?"

gusious
Aug 2, 2009, 03:00 AM
From what i've heard open DNS doesn't increase our internet speed...

DoFoT9
Aug 2, 2009, 04:03 AM
From what i've heard open DNS doesn't increase our internet speed...

not at all, it really depends on where you are. wherever the servers are based (US??) the user might have increased speeds, outside of that country it would most likely help to decrease speed.

incredulous
Sep 9, 2009, 12:10 PM
Hi,

My mac has started running slower so I tried to follow the instructions given by dennin but when I go to 'system preferences'>'network' a note 'pops down' saying "your network settings have been changed by another application". When I click 'ok' it repeatedly comes down and I can't exit settings or shut down the computer.

Can anyone enlighten me as to what this means?

Thanks,

Sasr24
Sep 9, 2009, 05:01 PM
Thank you, thank you! This worked perfectly!!

Mycatisbigfoot
Sep 9, 2009, 09:05 PM
Well In canada we have bell they are like quest, slow on macs and fast on pc, bell has been caught throlting people and they will not let me on apple.com!

and thats bull, but i went to open dns and it fix most of my dns problems but its always so on any computer, and i have not been downloading anything for the past mounth or so

sigmarlin
Oct 21, 2009, 01:10 PM
I attempted that openDNS thing and got thsi message:
AT&T Uverse Configuration

At this time it is not possible to configure AT&T Uverse Enabled Routers with the OpenDNS Service. The router gateways used with the Uverse Service are for more than just normal computers - they provide internet access for IPTV (Internet Protocol Television) which need to go directly to AT&T's DNS servers.

You can change the DNS settings for your local machine under the TCP/IP settings and use OpenDNS' DNS forwarding service as well as the content filtering service for that single machine and IP address. Configuring the DNS servers in your TCP/IP settings will not affect any other device on the network.

I guess you can't alter it because then it would screw up AT&Ts spying and reporting everything you do to the NSA...

ozimax
Nov 11, 2009, 04:06 AM
Strike me pink, it works a treat.

MANY thanks!!!

midge50
Nov 30, 2009, 09:22 PM
Bought a MBP last month. Wireless has been up and down at home and work. Just added the DNS of 4.2.2.1 and 4.2.2.2 as suggested elsewhere and pages are loading normal - vs terribly slow loading otherwise.

Wish I understand what I just did, but it works!

redpilltaker
Jan 6, 2010, 03:11 PM
Thank you thank you thank you for posting this!
To everyone else- when I first applied the 4.2.2.1 4.2.2.2 solution it didnt seem to do much but then all of a sudden bam! My i-mac was fast again!
I wonder why the os cant self regulate these sort of issues??? Cuz it seems we are not alone with this problem.
~Scottie

DoFoT9
Jan 6, 2010, 04:35 PM
Bought a MBP last month. Wireless has been up and down at home and work. Just added the DNS of 4.2.2.1 and 4.2.2.2 as suggested elsewhere and pages are loading normal - vs terribly slow loading otherwise.

Wish I understand what I just did, but it works!
read a few pages back ;) it just uses different DNS servers to what your usual ISP does.

Thank you thank you thank you for posting this!
To everyone else- when I first applied the 4.2.2.1 4.2.2.2 solution it didnt seem to do much but then all of a sudden bam! My i-mac was fast again!
I wonder why the os cant self regulate these sort of issues??? Cuz it seems we are not alone with this problem.
~Scottie

its not the OS's problem. you cant blame your OS for a problem thats related to ISPs.

saulth
Jan 23, 2010, 03:14 AM
It does not make sense to blame ISP DNS servers when the problem is on an iMac and not on a PC both connected through the same wireless, same ISP DNS servers, same everything except one is mac one is PC.

When new the iMac worked very fast (still only few months old) then recently started going very slow. PC has not changed at all! Perhaps a recent apple update has caused a problem? Perhaps there is interference and the PC has a better wireless receiver than the iMac? Perhaps a big conspiracy against apple (ha ha) ;) Just kidding. Really, don't know. But it is a problem. This DNS thing seems to have helped a little, we'll see if that is consistent or coincidence or just imagined :)

The iMac is a new 27" Core2 Duo.

IronHelix
Feb 1, 2010, 11:48 PM
Okay, So I am here with the same problem as everyone else...and I am beginning to suspect apple. Our wireless internet all of the sudden (about 2 weeks ago) stopped working...so i replaced the wireless router with a netgear router. The pc's in the house worked and the macs wouldn't....so I returned the router and got a nicer linksys wrt54g2 v 1.5.01 (I updated the firmware) and same type problem. The I have used 5 different macs, and none can connect to internet properly... slower than dial up....however multiple pc's connect right up and from good distance and with fast internet...I don't understand and have never come across such an issue...plz help. Thanks.
-Iron-

sistyrbyrd121
Feb 2, 2010, 11:34 PM
Thanks so much! I can't believe how much better my internet is! I was wondering if I had some awful virus made for mac!

jr16x
Feb 8, 2010, 02:28 AM
i was amazed that this actually worked. it was awesome. can someone please explain the differences between these two. thanks

OP's DNS addresses

Open DNS addresses

faganking
Feb 8, 2010, 12:41 PM
Hi,

My mac has started running slower so I tried to follow the instructions given by dennin but when I go to 'system preferences'>'network' a note 'pops down' saying "your network settings have been changed by another application". When I click 'ok' it repeatedly comes down and I can't exit settings or shut down the computer.

Thanks,

This is 'exactly' what happens to me as well. Please help!!

yankeepoodle
Feb 10, 2010, 02:38 PM
i was amazed that this actually worked. it was awesome. can someone please explain the differences between these two. thanks

OP's DNS addresses

Open DNS addresses

Leesweet, post #52, explained it unless that's not the kind of explanation you mean. When you say 'this actually worked,' which DNS addresses are you referring to? Everything I try works sporadically, I can't get anything to keep my internet fast consistently.

faganking
Feb 16, 2010, 12:46 PM
This is 'exactly' what happens to me as well. Please help!!

Can anyone help??

faganking
Feb 16, 2010, 04:18 PM
Hi,

Thanks,

Same problem for me. Can't anyone help??

HalCat
Feb 19, 2010, 07:58 PM
I've been blaming my ISPs for lousy service. I switched from Comcast to AT&T thinking that it would improve and it didn't. Now I find the answer and it's on my computer! Thank you for posting this. I am eternally grateful rather than eternally waiting!

DoFoT9
Feb 19, 2010, 08:51 PM
Wirelessly posted (nokia e63: Mozilla/5.0 (SymbianOS/9.2; U; Series60/3.1 NokiaE63-1/100.21.110; Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 ) AppleWebKit/413 (KHTML, like Gecko) Safari/413)

I've been blaming my ISPs for lousy service. I switched from Comcast to AT&T thinking that it would improve and it didn't. Now I find the answer and it's on my computer! Thank you for posting this. I am eternally grateful rather than eternally waiting!

remember, the problem isn't with your computer. Its with the dns servers that you use.

Loono
Feb 20, 2010, 08:57 AM
OMG! my internet doesnt go slow anymore!
Thanks.
I used the open DNS addresses.

faganking
Feb 20, 2010, 03:30 PM
Same problem for me. Can't anyone help??

Never mind. Got it.

snow1
Mar 4, 2010, 11:23 AM
First let me say I am not as Mac/Computer savvy as I wish . . . so that is probably why I am having a problem going into the Systems Preferences/Internet & Wireless/Network suggestion you have made.

My System Preferences seem to be set up differently than your instructions from 2007. First under: Internet & Wireless I have - MobileMe, Network, Bluetooth, Sharing. I went into Network.

Network shows:
Network Name: our network name
The Show Airport Status in menu bar is checked.
My only other options are: Advanced and Assist Me.

I can't find anyplace to "Configure"

Thank you for any help you can provide.

MagicMotion
Mar 14, 2010, 04:12 AM
First let me say I am not as Mac/Computer savvy as I wish . . . so that is probably why I am having a problem going into the Systems Preferences/Internet & Wireless/Network suggestion you have made.

My System Preferences seem to be set up differently than your instructions from 2007. First under: Internet & Wireless I have - MobileMe, Network, Bluetooth, Sharing. I went into Network.

Network shows:
Network Name: our network name
The Show Airport Status in menu bar is checked.
My only other options are: Advanced and Assist Me.

I can't find anyplace to "Configure"

Thank you for any help you can provide.

Dude ,its only 4 pages to go thru. Try to read it next time..

the solution is posted in this thread but ill help u anyway..

system preferences / (where you have the mobile me, network and so on) Network /(make sure airport is highlited) advanced / fill in the nr by pressing "+" in the DNS tab

desrste
Apr 7, 2010, 01:41 PM
This is my first post and while I have found some great information here I do have a question that maybe someone can help me with.

My specific home office set up:

- Comcast Business Class SMC Router (4 ports)
- Apple Airport Extreme
- iMac; Mac OS X 10.6.3. 4GB Memory
- Cisco 7940 IP Phone
- Lenovo T61 Laptop running XP

Here's my issue. I can achieve up to about 13Mbps downloads with my laptop but it seems even after making the changes recommended here in this thread I cannot achieve more than 6Mbps with my Mac. I have tried everything I can think of including:
- unplugging every other connection except for the ethernet to the mac
- using the DNS Servers here in the thread
- plugging the mac directly into the SMC Router vs. going through the Apple AE
- clearing out the cache and resetting safari
- Used Firefox
- Changed MTU to 1452 (and other's as suggested)

Could there be some other applications running that would be sucking bandwith? How do I find them on my Mac? More importantly if I do find something what is the best program to get rid of them?

Speeds are not that bad but when I am sitting in front of both computers and my PC pulls down 13Mbps while on my IP Phone as well as the internet open on my Mac I just figure there has to be something bogging this thing down...just don't know where or how to find it.

I sure would appreciate any advice...

DoFoT9
Apr 7, 2010, 02:32 PM
This is my first post and while I have found some great information here I do have a question that maybe someone can help me with.

My specific home office set up:
MTU to 1452 (and other's as suggested)

Could there be some other applications running that would be sucking bandwith? How do I find them on my Mac? More importantly if I do find something what is the best program to get rid of them?

Speeds are not that bad but when I am sitting in front of both computers and my PC pulls down 13Mbps while on my IP Phone as well as the internet open on my Mac I just figure there has to be something bogging this thing down...just don't know where or how to find it.

I sure would appreciate any advice...

have you tried using the default DNS servers? (i.e. leave them empty). download speed isnt usually associated with DNS servers, but who knows.

i doubt there is something bogging your mac down - the download speeds should be pretty much identical! when you plugged in via ethernet, did you disable the wirelress?

you arent torrenting or anything? or streaming music? etc

waveminded
Apr 14, 2010, 06:01 PM
Ok, so read through the thread trying the DNS update. I was having serious airport connectivity slow down on my iMac desktop running Leopard. A couple days ago added the bluetooth magic mouse and bluetooth aluminum keyboard, after the add, the internet went to absolute #$%!

Tried a number of combinations...
- added the 4.2.2.x dns entries - no change
- disabled both bluetooth devices one at a time, then both (seemed like this was the culprit... having bluetooth devices connected was causing interference)
- changed wireless (linksys) router to several new channels - no change
- sat my macbook and imac side by side both on wireless to check bandwidth speeds - imac w/ bluetooth on was getting smoked by MBP with no bluetooth on.

What it came down to was the router was literally just too far away from the iMac and it seems the bluetooth devices were causing interference... The test that proved this... reactivated all bluetooth devices on the imac then connected to the neighbors wireless and BAM!! Smoking fast internet w/ bluetooth devices connected. I must have a piece of crap router or something!

ltldrummerboy
Apr 14, 2010, 07:23 PM
I switched to OpenDNS on my router and it sped things up considerably.

M-B-P
May 31, 2010, 11:48 AM
Please help me by explaining how to do this on the newest 10.6.3. The menu looks completely different from the screen shots posted originally. Sorry for being a Noob :o.

I am completely new to Mac and not very tech savvy at all. I love my new MBP, but the internent works MUCH slower compared to my 5 year old Dell PC. Please help!!!

mitsuyama
Jun 3, 2010, 12:05 AM
I tried all these difference fix its people recommended and none of them really worked so I bought Snow Panther and updated my system and it fixed the problem completely! No need to mess with any settings or anything.

It has sped up my system 10fold and now my wireless is running like lightening as it should, not lower than dial up before I upgraded.

If you are having problems I really recommend re-installing your current OS software or upgrading to Snow Panther.

chadwickster
Jul 3, 2010, 06:37 PM
Here are my speeds after changing to open dns

http://www.speedtest.net/result/868176433.png (http://www.speedtest.net)

DoFoT9
Jul 4, 2010, 06:33 AM
Here are my speeds after changing to open dns

http://www.speedtest.net/result/868176433.png (http://www.speedtest.net)

changing DNS wont increase your download speeds...

wyre
Jul 29, 2010, 12:03 PM
changing DNS wont increase your download speeds...

While we're on the downloading topic, is there an obvious reason why a comcast (Motorola modem) internet connection ( plugged directly into a macbook pro running OS 10.4.11) would be signficantly faster than the same macbook pro using airport (19 vs 4 Mps ) My ipod touch speed test is showing almost 10 Mps download, but the laptop seems to be capped at under 6. Could the modem to airport wired (cat 5) connection be the culprit?

Secondly I would expect the wired connection to be faster than wireless, but I find it odd that the macbook pro via airport is also significantly slower than the ipod touch wireless connection via the same airport. Think, in addition to changing the DNS settings to speed perceived internet access, there's a settings issue or wiring issue here, or is it just a vestige of the old operating system + airport on the macbook pro (late 2007 model).

Any suggestions would be appreciated. thanks!

brinycbri
Aug 1, 2010, 10:18 AM
OMG wow..this soo worked..stupid time warner cable DNS...thanks!

DoFoT9
Aug 2, 2010, 06:46 PM
While we're on the downloading topic, is there an obvious reason why a comcast (Motorola modem) internet connection ( plugged directly into a macbook pro running OS 10.4.11) would be signficantly faster than the same macbook pro using airport (19 vs 4 Mps ) My ipod touch speed test is showing almost 10 Mps download, but the laptop seems to be capped at under 6. Could the modem to airport wired (cat 5) connection be the culprit?

Secondly I would expect the wired connection to be faster than wireless, but I find it odd that the macbook pro via airport is also significantly slower than the ipod touch wireless connection via the same airport. Think, in addition to changing the DNS settings to speed perceived internet access, there's a settings issue or wiring issue here, or is it just a vestige of the old operating system + airport on the macbook pro (late 2007 model).

Any suggestions would be appreciated. thanks!

hey there, sorry for the late reply. i really need to learn NOT to leave 90+ tabs open in safari :rolleyes:

its hard to run these kinds of tests. using speedtest.net isnt very accurate at all and it depends on the amount of load on their end (which is quite high). it might be best to test later at night (or earlier in the day) from a product on Apple.Com - check from each device what speeds you are getting through Safari downloads, or check with "Activity Monitor.app" or the iStat Pro widget.

the airport -> MBP might have a number of environmental factors coming into play, im guessing its on 802.11n and distances, other frequencies and other devices can all limit your experience. the iTouch would run on 802.11g - maybe its worth using the MBP on 802.11g and see what speeds you get.

i would also run a number of internal network tests, maybe there is a limiting factor in the AirPort.?

macquariumguy
Aug 2, 2010, 08:26 PM
Would this trick make any difference for an iPad or iPhone? I am at my father-in-law's this week and am having problems.

My MacBook Pro is connected to the Comcast router and working fine.

My iPad and both our iPhones are connected, but running so slow that 90% of the time Safari times out before opening a page.

I called Comcast and they were exactly as helpful as I expected them to be. In other words, not at all.

Any advice?

DoFoT9
Aug 2, 2010, 08:54 PM
Would this trick make any difference for an iPad or iPhone? I am at my father-in-law's this week and am having problems.

My MacBook Pro is connected to the Comcast router and working fine.

My iPad and both our iPhones are connected, but running so slow that 90% of the time Safari times out before opening a page.

I called Comcast and they were exactly as helpful as I expected them to be. In other words, not at all.

Any advice?
yes it should have the same effect, go into the network preferences as you normally would and change the "DNS server".

macquariumguy
Aug 2, 2010, 09:34 PM
yes it should have the same effect, go into the network preferences as you normally would and change the "DNS server".

Doesn't seem to have made any difference. :(

DoFoT9
Aug 2, 2010, 09:36 PM
Doesn't seem to have made any difference. :(
then your issues lie elsewhere. :(

seedling22
Aug 8, 2010, 04:08 AM
THANKS a mill for posting this info. Been struggling for weeks with slow internet speed and now I can reply this forum with super satisfying speed and ease!!! Just typed the 4.2.2.1 and the 4.2.2.2 into the DNS and hey presto back to 2010 internet speed. Happy Days!!:) (on MAC 10.5.8)

crissmhoffmeyer
Aug 17, 2010, 11:39 PM
I actually like this one more than the OpenDNS one.

A warning though, I don't know if it was just my computer, or what was going on, but I had both these and the openDNS ones installed, and it KILLED my internet performance. Im not sure why, it could be some sort of conflict or something.

When i tested out the speed, this one was comparably faster than OpenDNS. I don't know if you understand what I mean by this, but OpenDNS tends to open pages element by element, but this one tends to open the page up as a whole, which I like much more.

Thanks again!

DoFoT9
Aug 17, 2010, 11:59 PM
When i tested out the speed, this one was comparably faster than OpenDNS. I don't know if you understand what I mean by this, but OpenDNS tends to open pages element by element, but this one tends to open the page up as a whole, which I like much more.

probably due to the amount of concurrent connections you can have. did you try 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 (as backup)?

kelts
Sep 7, 2010, 07:09 AM
Hey all, im in desperate need of some advice or help if any of you have heard of this problem or have it at the moment.

I live in leeds in england and from about a week or so ago my connection has dropped dramatically. Im with a company called british telecom (bt) and im suppose to be getting an up to 8 meg connection. Before this last week i was getting around 2 and a half which was fine, i could play on my xbox or wow when i wanted and not lag. Since this last week tho my connection has dropped to just over half a meg.

Obv i called my isp up and explained the situation and they did a line test, found no problems on my end. They then told me they was sending an engineer out to my local exchange to check it out. So instead they sent an engineer around to my house after this he did a line test and found my end was fine but i wasn't getting the correct connection speed. He did a few modifications which resulted in the new box he put up on the wall to connect the external and internal cables fallen off since he screwed it into a plastic wall.

So today around half 8 this morning i got a call from another engineer that had checked the exchange and said there wasn't a problem. Also on top of that last night when i came off my connection was just over half a meg and now its dropped to around 300kbps. Having called them up again at the technical support they told me that my snr is quite high which i think they said means "server to network ratio". The man on the phone said they would lower it and in a few hours i would see an inc in speed and it would take a day to become properly stable. Well its been like 5 hours since he did the changes and there hasn't been an inc at all in speed and its starting to really annoy me. If anything i think its actually dropping.

I use a wire in my mac to the router directly and my dad and brother both use wireless, we have had macs now for about 5 years and been with bt and not had any problems like this up to this last week. I was wondering if any of you has had similar problems or has the same as me and knows any way to get it sorted. Im at the end of my teether now and i really need the internet for playing wow lol.

Any replies or help any of you could help would be very helpful, thank you for reading my post.

spip85
Sep 19, 2010, 08:31 AM
Hey, I am stationed in Japan and connection through wires with the backup DNS server addresses as 4.2.2.1, 4.2.2.2, 8.8.4.4, and 8.8.8.8 worked for me. I haven't talked to my ISP provider yet (they are Global Broadband), but I am going to talk to them tomorrow and I will post up here what they say about the wireless configuration. I assume it's the bluetooth devices that are interfering with my wireless, then again, it could be my cheap router too. I will keep you updated b/c this problem hurt me for about a week until I found this solution worked. Now it's blazin fast. :apple:

La82
Sep 19, 2010, 11:39 AM
So I have tried both opendns and the above fix but nothing seems to work. I have scanned my mac for virus and dnschanger both turned up nothing. The internet was fine until app a month ago when it started getting really slow, both when opening pages and when downloading or screening. Does anyone have another solution than the one posted here?

ditchlily
Sep 27, 2010, 03:04 PM
So this thread seems pretty much dead but it also seems like my best chance of getting my problem resolved.

Just recently I came home to a huge slow down on my mac. All of the other computers in the house are having no problem with the internet. Well, the problem doesn't seem so much to be slow down as it is the internet actually going in and out. I can browse for several minutes without any issues and then for several minutes web pages will not load and I often the eventual redirect to my ISP's "We can't find what you're looking for" page. I am seeing this problem in both firefox and safari.

I tried the solution posted as far as changing the DNS settings, both the open and otherwise and it has nothing has changed or improved.

I am operating on an imac with version 10.4.11 of OSX.
Any ideas?

jahbuzzz
Oct 7, 2010, 04:11 PM
Worked for me briefly but then got slow again. Seems to be very random. Using DLINK Router...

colourfastt
Oct 7, 2010, 08:04 PM
Worked for me briefly but then got slow again. Seems to be very random. Using DLINK Router...

That's the problem.

jahbuzzz
Oct 8, 2010, 07:32 AM
That's the problem.

The Dlink router is the problem?

capnjiggins
Oct 12, 2010, 01:32 AM
noticed yesterday firefox and safari have been very slow loading pages. Tried different DNS settings, scanning for DNSchanger, viruses, etc... No luck :( I am hooked up via ethernet directly from the modem and have never had a problem before. HELP!!!

Mathguy2
Nov 21, 2010, 04:23 PM
Everyone on this forum seems to think their slow connection problem is software or DNS settings or ISP. More likely it's interference. Try isolating and eliminating every electronic device that's anywhere near your computer and/or your router. Older cordless phones, wireless keyboards, transformers, anything. For me it was a transformer to an older hard drive that I wasn't even using!

There's some technical advice in the following article, but try the simple stuff first:

http://www.macworld.com/article/151509/2010/05/speedupwirelessnetwork.html

Good luck! These connection speed problems are infuriating.

nithanyo
Nov 25, 2010, 08:41 AM
thank you :)

i jus went to DNS and changed my old number to 4.2.2.2 and it worked :D

foliovision
Jan 14, 2011, 01:59 PM
Under Snow Leopard 10.6.5, I experienced very spotty internet connections via wifi with my MacBook Air.

Changed the DNS to 4.2.2.1 and 4.2.2.2 and I'm back in the fast lane. Even in pure speed my downloads shot up from 4 MB/sec to 25 MB/sec. That's in Europe.

Normally I always connect via wired for long sessions but with the MacBook Air, I don't have that option (yet).

Thanks to the original poster.

dukeonuke
Jan 18, 2011, 10:18 PM
Was fighting this slow Internet problem for the last couple of days. Tried the original posters fix. Nothing. Then noticed that my Internet Radio system in my bed room was connecting, cutting out, buffering, and then repeating over and over. Called my ISP provider. They sent a nice guy out that checked the router, then the external cables, and internal cables. It was the external cable. He replaced the cable ends and wa-la, I'm back to full speed. Happy Days. Hope this helps someone.

Cheers!

The Duke

eliaspage32
Feb 3, 2011, 05:38 PM
For some reason this isnt working for me.
Someone walk me step by step on how to do it for the newest and most recent version of snow leopard.....
Help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

tetopa
Feb 4, 2011, 01:13 PM
hello, i am using macbook pro with snow leopard. i have changed my DNS servers to 4.2.2.1 and 4.2.2.2 even then it is very slow. can anyone please tell me what to do :confused:

hungry ghost
Feb 9, 2011, 05:14 PM
Thank you!

Been pulling my hair out all day trying to work out this one. Veerrrryyyy slow wireless connection on my G5 (running Tiger) the last couple of days - although my iPhone on wifi and iMac (ethernet connection) were both running fine. I was confused.

Seems to be perfectly fine now! Much appreciated.

frannbug
Feb 10, 2011, 05:54 PM
Directions and Screenshots for Leopard:

1. Click System Preferences in the Dock

http://pixelshack.com/img/428082Screencapture 1.png

2. Click the Network preference pane

http://pixelshack.com/img/329858Screencapture 3.png

3. Make sure your your network interface is active (Airport for Me), click the "Advanced" button.
http://pixelshack.com/img/72148Screencapture 8.png
4. Click the "DNS" tab, click the "+" button and enter both addresses then click "OK". ignore the greyed out DNS address its probably your router.

http://pixelshack.com/img/892940Screencapture 7.png

5. Then make sure you click "Apply"

OP's DNS addresses

Open DNS addresses

Open DNS will apart from speeding things up and keeing you safe from phishing will try to re-direct you to the right URL if you make a typo. if it cannot re-direct it will give you an Open DNS Google-like search of what you URL typed.

My 233mhz 17" MBP is the only one in the house that can no longer play an uninterrupted YouTube video. It used to be really fast - as was my daughter's slightly younger MBP 15" when she came home from uni. I always have all five bars showing on my menubar airport symbol. Yet it seems to be getting slower and slower the more I use it.

Downstairs, the dear old G4 Mac Mini used to play full-screen video on wi-fi. Then that too got slower and slower, until I gave it another gigabyte of RAM, after which it would read full-screen video again. But now it can't even play an audio file without stopping every fifteen minutes or so to get its breath back. Why is everything getting slower in our house except the 15" MBP? We have a Billion Bi-pac Ethernet modem and a dual band Apple Base-Station, both fairly new, so we shouldn't be getting these problems. My istat widget says I'm averaging around 40kb/s input.

So if there is a way to get this delicious improvement by tweaking a few settings in Snow Leopard, I'd be really pleased to hear it!

tom vilsack
Feb 11, 2011, 04:04 PM
was wondering why my ppc mini was loading pages so slowly...used my own isp # as said...and big difference ty!

i should have know better...had same issue with slow web page loads on win machine using ubuntu 10.04...till i found more or less same idea...

/etc/dhcp3/dhclient.conf file...and edited line prepend domain-name-servers (put isp number here and seperate by using , and end with ; and also delete # at beginning of line to make active)

frannbug
Feb 15, 2011, 08:12 PM
/etc/dhcp3/dhclient.conf file...and edited line prepend domain-name-servers (put isp number here and seperate by using , and end with ; and also delete # at beginning of line to make active)

Forgive my ignorance but I really don't understand this as I don't know what its referring to. What exactly is '/etc/dhcp3/dhclient.conf file'?

Is it a file somewhere on my system (I searched and didn't find it)? Or is it something to be done in Terminal (which I have to be guided by the hand to use as I'm not at all aware of how it works)?

If this might help me please could you enlighten me as a total coding ignoramus? I'd be most grateful, thanks!

kmcmackin33
Feb 17, 2011, 11:46 AM
So I have an early 2008 mini which is mind-numbingly slow. I have done all the dns stuff and tried every other suggestion. According to speed test I download at about 2.9 mbps where my HP laptop right next to it is downloading at 15+.

My question is if I got a wireless access point with a ethernet port and plug that into the mini would that speed things up significantly?

I figure an access point would allow me to use N and would save me from running wires.

Any advice is much appreciated thanks!

rang
Feb 17, 2011, 12:36 PM
I've tried the Open DNS servers and that didn't help.

Tried the Apple 1tb Time Capsule ...that didn't help

Tried the DLink router...that didn't help.

Tried Time Warner Turbo for 5 months...actually slower than old time Hayes modem. After 5 god damn months and numerous on site techs screwing around with and replacing connectors, going out to the street box, talking to half of India and the US...still f____king slower than dial up.

So we are back on .1 mb/s download speeds on regular wonderful, full of S_ht Time Warner Cable.

I hope the the giant CME (Coronal Mass Ejections) that are supposed to hit the Earth today and tomorrow ...demolish the Time Warner San Diego facilities.
Might get better if they start all over.

Sure as hell can't get worse.

Even the Post Office is starting to look more efficient.:mad:

summoner12
Mar 19, 2011, 08:19 PM
cI was having an issue where it was slow and the info here didn't help. Since my new iMac is.... new. I called Apple and the lady helping me suggested I change the routers wifi channel. This solved my problems instantly. She also showed me how I can see the networks around me and the channels they are on. I picked a channel that wasn't in use and now I am getting full bandwidth on my iMac.

Maybe try changing the channel. :cool:

macfangirl
May 13, 2011, 09:01 PM
cI was having an issue where it was slow and the info here didn't help. Since my new iMac is.... new. I called Apple and the lady helping me suggested I change the routers wifi channel. This solved my problems instantly. She also showed me how I can see the networks around me and the channels they are on. I picked a channel that wasn't in use and now I am getting full bandwidth on my iMac.

Thanks! Changing the channel on my airport fixed the issue for me. Open the airport utility, use manual setup and change the channel. I used a channel between 1 and 4, which supposedly is better.

Lglass
May 20, 2011, 08:55 PM

Thanks this helped me too. I just got my first mac (iMac) the internet on my laptop running WinXP was working fine but internet on my Imac was very slow. I logged into my router and changed the channel from auto to channel 11 and it's lighting fast now. Hope it stays that way.

Marky
May 25, 2011, 04:01 AM
I notice a lot in this thread have a disparity between a PC and a Mac on the same network, for me it's two Macs!

I've got two Macs on the same wireless network at home getting completely different broadband speeds.

Using British Telecom's Infinity up to 40mbs service

iMac (late 2010) gets approx 37mbps, MacBook Pro (late 2006) getting approx 9mbps.

Both Macs are connecting to an Apple Time Capsule and using it's network.
If I connect directly to the British Telecom Homehub the speeds are lower for both but the ratio of difference remains about the same.

I did think it's probably my old machine and it's airport (the MBP can't do 'N' only 'G") so then I tried connecting each Mac by Ethernet and the results are very much the same give or take the odd Mbps increase seen on both machines. So it doesn't seem to be a wifi/Airport issue.

Both Macs are also using the same 'numbers' under the DNS setting in Network prefs.

Both are using latest versions of Safari and Snow Leopard.

Even my iPad is getting over double the speeds of the MBP. (approx 20mbps)

I've checked settings on both Macs and they appear to be the same unless i'm overlooking something (very possible!)

Anyone any ideas at all?

Workinprogress
Jun 15, 2011, 01:07 PM
Type 4.2.2.1 into the blank DNS Servers box, hit return and type 4.2.2.2 then click the "Apply Now" button like so;
Image (http://img105.imageshack.us/img105/6686/picture5sp0.png)
- Dennin I am completely lost when it comes to computers. I tried this technique on my mac yesterday, and now my internet won't work at all. I am using my computer at work now. Do you know what I need to do to restore the original settings? Unfortunately I didn't write down what it said before (which was not smart). Also, do you know if I should call the Mac IT department or whether I should call the wireless router company (Belkin) with questions?.. Thanks.

satcomer
Jun 15, 2011, 06:17 PM

That one is easy. Most ISPs hardly pay attention to DNS, update infrequently or don't understand DNS at all.

emurrer
Jul 9, 2011, 01:50 PM
WOW. This worked. My Mac was so slow... and now seems back to normal.
Thanks again for the help.

IrishGemini
Jul 13, 2011, 06:17 PM
Here are my results, I am sick with it! lol. I am using Open DNS, and have full signal from the airport card. I live in Massachusetts but the connection is in Stowe Vermont.

http://www.speedtest.net/result/1384490116.png

I am pretty happy with the comp as it is 11 years old! OS x 10.4.11 G3 Tiger

But would like to get more speed out of this thing!
I tried to connect to my home wireless network (comcast) but when I enter the password for the router I get "problem connecting to router", I have a Belkin wireless router on the comcast network.

Val-kyrie
Jul 14, 2011, 12:02 AM
Thanks for the information, OP. I read this thread today after having some issues with web pages loading slowly. This definitely helped. Also, I found a YouTube video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KGVvzz_twX0) which shows how to set up OpenDNS and also discusses additional features (e.g., filtering and security) which are available to everyone who sets up a free account.

Ronald Williams
Jul 15, 2011, 05:37 AM
hey thanks for this one, i have been suffering from slow browsing for some time even when i have broadband connection....will go and try these steps and will see how this works out.

MIL0
Aug 7, 2011, 02:57 AM
....just wanted to say thanks to the OP and others.

Brand new iMac - dog slow internet - I talking 0.19Mbps. Changed DNS to Open DNS and am back to just under 10Mbps.

Shouldn't make that much of a difference - but it did!

gnasher729
Aug 7, 2011, 03:17 AM
I checked this website: http://www.tummy.com/Community/Articles/famous-dns-server/

And there is a FAQ: Should I use 4.2.2.2? Unless you are a Level 3 customer, absolutely not. You are leeching off a decent quality DNS server that one ISP created _for their customers_ and not for you.

You can use 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4, both run by Google, as explained here: http://code.google.com/speed/public-dns/docs/using.html

WRXHokie
Sep 26, 2011, 10:25 AM
This worked for me on my 2007 iMac for a long time, then all of a sudden just stopped working. Any idea why all of a sudden it would revert back to slow again? The DNS servers are still listed in my network settings. My other computers in the house work fine, just the iMac with all the problems.

WRXHokie
Oct 2, 2011, 07:57 PM
bump, in case anyone has resolved this.

Juviken
Oct 3, 2011, 03:05 AM
Should i use the 4.2.2.1/4.2.2.2, or the google dns? nothing wrong or dangerous about using the 4.2.21?

wriskit
Oct 19, 2011, 09:56 AM
The initial post dated 2007 helped me get my iMac [osx 10.4.11] back to normal. Went to system preferences, internet, airport sequence entered the 4.2.2.1, 4.2.2.2, hit apply, but no result. I had left certain fields blank like ip address [did not know it], had not really looked at all the info. Found that i was using the built in ethernet as my connection to intenet so it was probably my trouble spot. Realized I had not switched out of ethernet and into airport as my new internet connection. As soon as I did that, slowness problems ended bringing e-mails up to the screen, yahoo stock message boards and analyst reports up to the screen, now almost instantaneous. Thank you.

haimgabay1965
Oct 21, 2011, 10:47 PM
I just enter my ISP DNS Number and and i am flying !!! :)

amylulo
Nov 22, 2011, 05:00 AM
Hi,

Before I followed the instructions I wanted to know if this is applicable for Lion (the path is not as shown, there is a separate section for the DNS settings and then there are 2 things listed under DNS Servers and Im not sure if I should delete them or add the new numbers you suggest). Also, Im not sure if this is also applicable to europe...

can you advise a non-technical person who can follow instructions but not understan?

thank you!

Rordawg7
Dec 6, 2011, 03:04 PM
Okay so I have been having the same problem with my Airport. It seems like it needs a jumpstart every 5 seconds, YouTube doesn't work, and forget any downloading. So I tried to follow the guide that was up here and when I clicked Apply, absolutely nothing happened. Did I maybe do something wrong or is it simply that this is not the solution to my problem? I need help!
Thanks

matspekkie
Dec 6, 2011, 10:48 PM

I think you may want to try to delete your current wifi connection and set it up again new these can get corrupted sometimes.

serendipidy
Jan 11, 2012, 04:25 AM
HI Everyone, nice to come across this useful Mac forum.
I am posting here as I really do not know where to post the problem I have got.
I am an illustrator, always used macs, with my internet provider being ' Aliceadsl'.
My 2 macs are connected up via ethernet to the Wi-Fi box , but my problem is, as not with other members having difficulty connecting to the Wi-fi, I want to get off it , that is run my internet purely on ethernet if possible, and not having to have a wi-fi box turned on all the time.
I am unfortunately in the generation group of people that are becoming increasingly aware of the dangers of using mobiles and Wi-fi, especially near children.
I have recently moved my studio around , the Wi-fi box could not be moved as it I was told it had to stay near the telephone connection. This problem was solved by simply using Ethernet cables to connect my macs downstairs.
The problem I have now is my 8 year old daughter has my old studio and the Wi-fi box is just 2 metres from her head when she is sleeping. I switch it off when she goes to bed, but I do not know if I am creating problems for myself by switching the box on and off all the time.

So finally can anyone sympathise with my problem and give me advice regarding switching to ethernet completely,

Many thanks

Serendipidy

iforbes
Jan 11, 2012, 08:18 AM
If you are not using wi-fi at all then you can eliminate the wireless router and plug your ethernet cables directly into the (cable?) modem. There should be multiple ethernet ports on that modem and the wireless router is no longer needed.

serendipidy
Jan 13, 2012, 04:20 AM
Thanks for reply iforbes
I have since been sent instructions about how you can deactivate the wi-fi, my problem now is to find out what will happen regarding the 2 internet phones that were connected to the box, if the wifi is deactivated would the phones not work.

alexmorari7
Jan 16, 2012, 01:57 AM
Thank you very much!!!
You saved my life the slow internet was driving me nuts, now is as fast as a thunder.

cheekychappy333
Jan 30, 2012, 05:46 AM
I too have been having these problems, but worse in my opinion. I have an early 2009 Macbook, I also bought the Cinema Display screen, this all cost me in total about 2000/$3000(ish). Here are the regular problems I deal with:

1 - Cinema display screen turns on when the hell it wants, sometimes it wont boot up no matter what I do, I later discovered that to garentee it turning on I have to remove ALL the wires and re plug them in each time I turn on my Macbook. This has led in time to the plugs becoming worn out and now there are problems with it cutting out.

2 - The wireless Internet can sometimes be painfully slow (my PC runs just fine) to give you an idea, if I want to watch a 2 minute Youtube vid I need to laod it for about 2 hours. However SOMETIMES if i remove the Macbook from the doc (take off the Cinema Screen) and just use on its own it works just fine.

3) the Wireless cuts out randomly all day, sometimes its just a no go, sometimes its great. As I say, PC works fine.

My Macbook Screen is busted, I barely move the Macbook as most of the time its docked but there is a 1.5'' vertical line of my screen thats effectively dead, sometimes there are colours in it, sometimes its white, sometimes black, but with the exeption of the first 10 minutes when I boot up on some occasions the screen is split into two.

So thats that, I hear that mac are 'working on' these problems, well then why have these been bought to the market then? They are incomplete?! You dont bring a car out that cuts out on the road every hour and just say 'oh yea we are working on a fix'. As far as I am concerned at present Apple have not developed a laptop that works, the only software on the market thats complete is Windows, someday maybe Apple will enter the market with a complete working laptop but at the moment they have released a load of rubbish onto the market that costs people time and money.

Please excuse my bluntness but this is very irritating, if you buy a BMW you dont expect to have the performance of an entry level car (if that).

I am a Voiceover artist and at present require both a Mac and a Windows machine, as it stands the minute Windows can match the parts of Macs capabilities that work better for the software I use (and make no mistake they are catching up fast) I will bail on Mac and never return. Its a shame because I really like the idea of the Mac, parts of the machine work very very well but its no use if the minute you need it to be 100% it bails on you andyou have to trawl forums trying to find a fix.

All the best to you all.

William

Xirion
Oct 29, 2013, 07:27 AM
I'm running 10.7.5
And I have no Airport, just wife, ethernet, firewire, and bluetooth
I've tried going into advanced but mines totally different

blueroom
Oct 29, 2013, 07:31 AM
I'm running 10.7.5
And I have no Airport, just wife, ethernet, firewire, and bluetooth
I've tried going into advanced but mines totally different

My wife doesn't speed up my internet or appear to have settings.

carlgo
Oct 29, 2013, 09:56 AM
My wife doesn't seem to have settings either.

BTW, what year is this? Why are people still having to type in magical numbers to fix things? Why aren't the engineers doing this in the first place? Why hasn't Apple made a commitment to once and for all deal with the stupid internet connection thing? We shouldn't have to go into this arcane area of our computers ever.

It should just work. This is basic stuff, connections and all.

If you are using old software and cobbling together a system using old components from different manufacturers then you are a hobbyist and you get what you get. Guess I don't understand making things difficult when there is no upside to doing that.