PDA

View Full Version : My wrists really hurt from the Macbook edges

sartajc
Sep 24, 2007, 10:43 PM
The edge of my white macbook is REALLY sharp and it really hurts my wrist. is there any product to fix this?

TheStu
Sep 24, 2007, 11:02 PM
Get new wrists? :)

I have either adapted to it by placing the heels of my hands fully onto the palmrests, or just use my laptop differently than most because i have never really had a problem with my MacBook edge.

I can not think of any products off hand that do what you want, but perhaps someone else can.

Ken Wind
Sep 24, 2007, 11:04 PM
http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d47/Tassnor/sandpaper-1.jpg

majordude
Sep 24, 2007, 11:08 PM
(Photo)

Classic. :D

Neptunian
Sep 24, 2007, 11:13 PM
The edge of my white macbook is REALLY sharp and it really hurts my wrist. is there any product to fix this?

Sorry. No idea. I have no problem using MacBook... :)

Dybbuk
Sep 24, 2007, 11:53 PM
Move your hand up higher?

KingYaba
Sep 24, 2007, 11:57 PM
Do you have a spare keyboard lying around? Plus you shouldn't be resting your wrists on the machine in the first place. That is poor ergonomics.

james2002
Sep 25, 2007, 12:08 AM
I had a similar problem and so I bought the Marware Pack with the stick on Palm wrest for the MBP. It works great for me.

Jiddick ExRex
Sep 25, 2007, 12:36 AM
This is why I am about to buy a MBP. I cannot use the macbook for extended periods of time... And the keyboard is too low to be holding your wrists up in the air for more than 5 minutes.

mrgrieves
Sep 25, 2007, 12:44 AM
I've been typing a lot on a colleague's Macbook lately, and initially I encountered the problem of the wrist slicing edges and was flabbergasted that Apple would make such a poor design.

The best way to get around it seems to be pushing it to the far edge of the desk/table so that you have as much tabletop in between you and the Macbook as possible to rest/prop up your arms on.

Ken Wind
Sep 25, 2007, 12:51 AM
Sticking something underneath the back of the laptop will help by tiltling it.

tennez
Sep 25, 2007, 08:01 AM
I use a bluetho keyboard and problem solved....

synth3tik
Sep 25, 2007, 08:04 AM
I guess you could use a lint free cloth or maybe a screen protector that when not protecting the screen can protect you wrists.

chas0001
Sep 25, 2007, 08:09 AM
I have one of these ILAP (http://www.raindesigninc.com/ilap.html) really nice and comfy.

You can also use this to make the screen Matte :)

nateDEEZY
Sep 25, 2007, 08:15 AM

First though change the grit!

phungy
Sep 25, 2007, 08:28 AM
Stop applying so much pressure on your wrists! :p

vultureparade
Sep 25, 2007, 08:49 AM
I noticed this the last time I was in an Apple store. The edges are really sharp compared to the edges on my iBook. They definitely aren't comfortable to rest skin on.

benpatient
Sep 25, 2007, 09:12 AM
this is probably one of my biggest gripes with my MB. Also the weak-feeling hinges. I feel like i'm very slowly committing suicide. As one poster said, the keys aren't deep enough to allow for "correct" hand posture. Typing "correctly causes finger strain with such a shallow key depth.

njmac
Sep 25, 2007, 12:56 PM
I have never complained about an Apple product before this post, but damn, the edges really are sharp. My forearms get really marked up and sore after using my MB for a while.

I know I should change the position of my computer but this is the way I have been using a laptop for years and I am comfortable this way (except, of course, with the MB :rolleyes:)

Another kind of weird thing is that the fonts don't really look smooth on the MB like they did on my powerbook 12". Small text is hard to read. weird. On my PB, everything was so crisp and clean, even really tiny fonts.

ricgnzlzcr
Sep 25, 2007, 04:03 PM
I think that some macbook's edges are sharp while others not so much. Mine are very sharp and it's the reason I'll probably upgrade when these new aluminum MacBooks hopefully come out. I just hope the design feels as good to me as the 12" powerbook did

jackc
Sep 25, 2007, 04:14 PM
I have one of these ILAP (http://www.raindesigninc.com/ilap.html) really nice and comfy.

Yep, expensive but nice.

davidwarren
Sep 25, 2007, 04:21 PM
wear long sleeve shirts

njmac
Sep 25, 2007, 04:35 PM
wear long sleeve shirts

I would but its 85 out right now. My forearms are really sore. This computer will be going back to the Apple Store tomorrow. I can't take it anymore, its annoying and painful.

chas0001
Sep 25, 2007, 05:08 PM
I have found a solution to your problem........100% guaranteed!!. No more marks from the Macbook anywhere on your body. Thank me later :D

Mal
Sep 25, 2007, 05:19 PM
Just sit the MacBook at a different angle, that's what I do. My wrists set fully on the wrist rests, but don't hang off the edge (or else don't touch at all, which is better for me but more tiring). Just a strip of tape or something over the edge would probably help too, though I'm unwilling to mar the appearance of my computer for that.

jW

UbuntuFu
Sep 25, 2007, 05:39 PM
I've seen a black leather case that will cover up those sharp edges.

I also have the same gripe, but I kinda just live with it. Most of the time my macbook is in clamshell mode since I have an external monitor and keyboard.

Cybergypsy
Sep 25, 2007, 05:44 PM
Bought a Macbook Pro and will never go back, unless they come in colors :)

9Charms
Sep 26, 2007, 12:53 AM
I had the exact same problem and had the exact same marks on my forearms. The problem comes from using the MacBook in bed. On a desk is usually not a problem. It bothered me so much I had to trade it in... for store credit... currently waiting for 24" iMacs to show up in Canada. If it wasn't for the pain, I'd have kept the MacBook. It's a solid machine, I was very impressed.

CalBoy
Sep 26, 2007, 12:58 AM
Do you have a spare keyboard lying around? Plus you shouldn't be resting your wrists on the machine in the first place. That is poor ergonomics.

^^^Can't be stressed enough. Your wrists should never be on anything when you type. Eventually bad things will happen.

jonswan
Sep 26, 2007, 01:04 AM
I had to sell my MacBook as the stupid thing had very sharp edges. I've checked many and some seem to be worse than others. I think it's a seriously bizarre design flaw considering the beautiful rounded edges of the iBook. People can squawk about not putting your wrists there, but when I'm not typing they don't automatically go into orbit above the keyboard; they come to rest.
It's probably even more stupid than having iWeb from iLife '08 not compatible with iLife '06 so hundreds of hours of people's work goes up ***** creek. Nice one Apple. I love Apple and own several Macs, but these two things have seriously tried my patience.

Dybbuk
Sep 26, 2007, 01:09 AM
I don't understand the awkward way in which you are typing that causes this to happen ...

Even if I type with my wrists on the rests, my skin isn't in contact with the edges.

9Charms
Sep 26, 2007, 01:10 AM
I don't understand the awkward way in which you are typing that causes this to happen ...

Even if I type with my wrists on the rests, my skin isn't in contact with the edges.

Take it into bed and reply to this thread while watching TV...

Dybbuk
Sep 26, 2007, 01:22 AM
Take it into bed and reply to this thread while watching TV...

Ah! I can see why this would be an issue. I don't bring my laptop to bed because ... well, why would I? :) I go to bed to sleep. Also, it's too hard to find a comfortable position in bed.

I understand some people have a need for this, though. I really like the flat edges for aesthetic reasons. I don't know what you can do other than the already prescribed countermeasures.

spacepower7
Sep 26, 2007, 01:42 AM
Just another design flaw that no one thoroughly tested because Steve Jobs always has to have his surprises.

And can we get over the white external keyboards already. I guess the new white/silver keyboards are much better than the all white ones that get dirty in a week. But for the money Apple is charging, can we get black/silver with backlighting?
Or even backlighting on all keyboards? Macbook too

cogsinister
Sep 28, 2007, 08:39 AM
I must admit having owned my Macbook for just 24 hours i am finding the knife sharp edges on the machine to be a real pain.......

It's no good people saying "Hold your hands up" or "se an external keyboard"

This is a real design fault.......did no one at Apple try this out ?

I love he Macbook......but my wrists don't.

wiredpuppy
Jun 13, 2008, 09:53 AM
I must admit having owned my Macbook for just 24 hours i am finding the knife sharp edges on the machine to be a real pain.......

It's no good people saying "Hold your hands up" or "se an external keyboard"

This is a real design fault.......did no one at Apple try this out ?

I love he Macbook......but my wrists don't.

DITTO!!!! New Mac user with sliced wrists! LOL.

kgeier82
Jun 13, 2008, 10:27 AM
you wrists shouldnt be resting on the laptop, they should be hovering over it.

Change how you use the laptop. I wouldnt sand that area ever. If you sand it, and it cracks (like MB do in that spot), your screwed. Apple will never warranty something that broke and looks to be sanded!

honestly, try letting your wrists hover. It might be hard to change the style how you use the keyboard, but itll pay off. Not to mention its bad for your wrists anyways to sit them there.

MojoWill
Jun 13, 2008, 10:34 AM
I use a wireless Apple Keyboard and mighty mouse but i know what you mean you can get marks

GGJstudios
Jun 13, 2008, 10:58 AM
I have never complained about an Apple product before this post, but damn, the edges really are sharp. My forearms get really marked up and sore after using my MB for a while.

I know I should change the position of my computer but this is the way I have been using a laptop for years and I am comfortable this way ...

Do you spend most of your time with the MB on your lap, or on a desk? From the marks, it looks like your MB is too high.... your forearms should be parallel to the floor, to minimize CTS. I spend more time at a desk than with my MBP on my lap, and on my desk I use the Apple Wireless Keyboard. Extremely comfortable and minimizes the wear and tear on the MBP, too. If you work mostly on a desk, I highly recommend using an external keyboard and mouse, to help your MB or MBP stay cleaner and last longer.

GGJstudios
Jun 13, 2008, 11:02 AM
...This is a real design fault.......did no one at Apple try this out ?...

I'm sure they tried it out, but they probably used it with the proper position of their arms/wrists. Maybe they made the edge sharp to discourage people from working in a position that would harm them! :D No sharp edges on the MBP, by the way!

fjk
Jun 14, 2008, 02:23 AM
"it's not a design flaw, you're using it wrong."

"buy an external keyboard." (wow, great, and profound advice.)

dont like the viewing angles on your laptop's LCD? well, buy a CRT and carry it around with you, duh.

my goodness. Regardless of how you try to maintain your wrist ergonomics etc., and you really can't force or expect everyone or even most people to have "proper" ergonomics, a large portion of people will, at some point, and very often, have their forearms or wrists rest in that area.

It's a design flaw, period. It was a compromise for esthetics. Stop being so ignorant.

It's a laptop. It's mobile. Mobile means it can and should be used from multiple positions. You cant always carry your work desk around with you to set up your perfect ergonomics in your lumbar supporting chair. Most people just dont carry that around with them.

And make sure you realize OP is talking about the macbook and not the MBP. Most seem to realize this, but not all.

Lastly, you dont have to REST YOUR WRISTS on the macbook to be irritated by it. Brief contact that doesn't cause any marking or -cutting- is still irritating. I dont like the feeling of the sharp edges, and as ergonomic as i want to be, i'm going to run into those edges occasionally.

Nadasive
Jun 14, 2008, 04:16 AM
I have found a solution to your problem........100% guaranteed!!. No more marks from the Macbook anywhere on your body. Thank me later :D

wow thats hilarious, i had a good 5 min. laugh :)

Bobioden
Jun 14, 2008, 10:09 AM
Try a Moshi Palmguard.

GGJstudios
Jun 14, 2008, 11:37 AM
... Mobile means it can and should be used from multiple positions. You cant always carry your work desk around with you to set up your perfect ergonomics in your lumbar supporting chair. Most people just dont carry that around with them. ..

mobile
adjective |ˈmōbəl; -ˌbēl; -ˌbīl| |ˈmoʊbəl| |ˈmoʊˈbil| |ˈmoʊˈbaɪl| |ˈməʊbʌɪl|
"able to move or be moved freely or easily"

That doesn't mean "able to be used from multiple positions". The fact is, that even if you're mobile, it doesn't mean you can't position your wrists to minimize contact with the edge.

It's interesting how a company like Apple can make a product that has appeal among millions of consumers and if something doesn't conform to the particular interests of a few individuals, it's labeled a "design flaw". Everyone has different needs. The best a company can do is work to satisfy the majority. That's why there are hundreds of aftermarket companies, making products to customize things to the needs of the individual, which is, by the way, exactly what the OP was asking for: "is there any product to fix this?"

If you don't like a product and think it's "flawed", don't buy it!

kgeier82
Jun 14, 2008, 11:56 AM
Ive had two macbooks now, and it really never bothered me with my bad ergonomics.

I guess you cant please everyone all of the time.

I must say though, you all did buy the laptop, and Im assuming you tested it at some point in store, or with a friend.

Sure its a design issue, but its one you all accepted at time of purchase. There isnt much you can do about it after purchase but change your habits. You can try the iLap too, but I dont think money should be spent on something that can be personally worked out.

:D I am willing to bet apple will implement a change in that area when the next redesign comes out.

mobile
adjective |ˈmōbəl; -ˌbēl; -ˌbīl| |ˈmoʊbəl| |ˈmoʊˈbil| |ˈmoʊˈbaɪl| |ˈməʊbʌɪl|
"able to move or be moved freely or easily"

That doesn't mean "able to be used from multiple positions". The fact is, that even if you're mobile, it doesn't mean you can't position your wrists to minimize contact with the edge.

It's interesting how a company like Apple can make a product that has appeal among millions of consumers and if something doesn't conform to the particular interests of a few individuals, it's labeled a "design flaw". Everyone has different needs. The best a company can do is work to satisfy the majority. That's why there are hundreds of aftermarket companies, making products to customize things to the needs of the individual, which is, by the way, exactly what the OP was asking for: "is there any product to fix this?"

If you don't like a product and think it's "flawed", don't buy it!

AMEN.

wormyworm
Aug 11, 2008, 07:13 PM
I've had the same problem recently, to the extent where my wrists now hurt even when I'm not using the keyboard and my left hand is slightly numb. This seems to be due to the the amount of heat from the keyboard itself which accelerates my left hand hurting along with the rubbing on the side of the laptop. I've now had to stop using the laptop for the moment until I get something cooler, maybe a celeron based PC??? If this seems to happen to you I'd stop using the laptop as in my case it got worse the more I carried on using it.

I don't have the same problems at work it's just when I get home and start using the MBP this gets worse within minutes.

areusche
Aug 11, 2008, 10:22 PM
i'm typing this out right now on my bed and i see the problem you guys are describing. Not nearly as painful though.

What you can do is bend your legs upward so your keyboard is at an angle. Thay way your wrists are not touching the computer at all.

I was actually going to suggest sandpaper but someone already beat me too it. Get a high grit paper and give it a whirl.

JoeDRC
Aug 12, 2008, 07:24 PM
my goodness. Regardless of how you try to maintain your wrist ergonomics etc., and you really can't force or expect everyone or even most people to have "proper" ergonomics, a large portion of people will, at some point, and very often, have their forearms or wrists rest in that area.

It's a design flaw, period. It was a compromise for esthetics. Stop being so ignorant.

1) Saying period doesn't make you right.

2) *Aesthetics

I really have to dig my wrists in to the edge of my MB in order to cause any pain/marks.

I did notice this problem when I got my MB at first, but you get used to typing differently very quickly.

nickbr00tality
Aug 13, 2008, 12:19 AM

hahaha :D

GGJstudios
Aug 13, 2008, 12:32 AM
1) Saying period doesn't make you right.

2) *Aesthetics

I really have to dig my wrists in to the edge of my MB in order to cause any pain/marks.

I did notice this problem when I got my MB at first, but you get used to typing differently very quickly.

You DO realize you're responding to a 2-month old thread and that's the last that was seen of that poster, right?

great high wolf
Aug 13, 2008, 05:12 AM
The top case on my MacBook decided to crack along the wrist-rests recently, and I discovered that the impromptu fix I did to cover that up actually stopped the razor-sharpness as well - two strips of black insulating tape.

Plus I now can't mistake anyone else's MB for mine. :p

ruku
Aug 13, 2008, 06:18 AM
for the afflicted. here is what i have and you couldnt rub your wrists on a sharp edge if you tried using one of these.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834999747

jakepa2001
Aug 17, 2008, 08:04 PM
Yes, I suffer from the sharp edges problem on my macbook pro, and also the hairs on the underside of my wrists get painfully caught in the small gap between the edge of the top panel and the side edge.

I too am flabbergasted that mac would design such an unergonomical machine. How hard would it have been to have a nice smoothing off edge like pretty much every other laptop I've ever seen. It seems like a symptom of something I've suspected about mac for a while - trying too hard to be trendy at the expense of useability.

I like the machine, in that it will run logic pro nicely with my soundcard, and I like that it's based on linux, but come on! Maybe get a few test users to actually use the product to see if it has any design flaws? Grrrr... :mad:

jakepa2001
Aug 17, 2008, 08:08 PM
for the afflicted. here is what i have and you couldnt rub your wrists on a sharp edge if you tried using one of these.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834999747

ruku, did you have the sharp edges problem with your wrists before you bought this? From the images I'm not convinced it would help, so I'm interested if it provided alleviation for you? Thanks!

Winter Charm
Aug 17, 2008, 08:09 PM

HAHAHHAHAH that made me ROFL like i've NEVER before!!!!

PURE AWESOMENESS! :D:apple:

Winter Charm
Aug 17, 2008, 08:10 PM
additionally, if you type PROPERLY, your wrists should NOT touch the casing (unless you want carpel tunnel syndrome - your hands should not be touching the edge at all, and this actually increases your comfort and typing speed, (once you get used to it :)

cristo
Aug 17, 2008, 08:13 PM
additionally, if you type PROPERLY, your wrists should NOT touch the casing (unless you want carpel tunnel syndrome - your hands should not be touching the edge at all, and this actually increases your comfort and typing speed, (once you get used to it :)

I thought that: my wrists don't touch the computer, and if they do they only very gently rest there.

doctor pangloss
Aug 17, 2008, 08:23 PM
The top case on my MacBook decided to crack along the wrist-rests recently, and I discovered that the impromptu fix I did to cover that up actually stopped the razor-sharpness as well - two strips of black insulating tape.

Plus I now can't mistake anyone else's MB for mine. :p

Thanks for the tip.
I've found the sharp edges of the MB annoying as well.
Also now the plastic around the keyboard is splintering around the edges.
Apple R&D really dropped the ball when they engineered this laptop.
IBooks and PowerBooks were so nice to use.
I hate the MacBook almost enough to switch back to PCs just to be able to have a quality machine again like a Lenovo/IBM.
It's really sad how Apple has hosed so many of their loyal customers with this stinking junk.:mad:

alphaod
Aug 17, 2008, 08:34 PM
I thought that: my wrists don't touch the computer, and if they do they only very gently rest there.

Your palms can rest next the touch pad, but that's it.

cristo
Aug 17, 2008, 08:36 PM
Your palms can rest next the touch pad, but that's it.
Looks like i'm typing correctly on my new macbook then! :D

TwinCities Dan
Aug 17, 2008, 08:37 PM

I can't believe how often this comes up!?!? :rolleyes:

KingYaba solved the problem back in post #7...

jakepa2001
Aug 18, 2008, 01:10 AM
Thanks everyone for setting me straight about how I should be using my macbook. After umpteen courses at various work places on ergonomics I guess the message still hadn't sunk in.

No longer will I come home and attempt to surf the web for a few minutes sitting on my comfortable couch after a hard day at work. I will sit in a straight back chair staring straight ahead and making 100% sure that every angle that should be 90 degrees is exactly 90 degrees. Never will my wrists or arms come close to touching the edges of the macbook.

Thanks mac for imposing such a stiff penalty on my erroneous behavior and thank you for incentivising me so strongly to correct it. In fact, I think I might sharpen the edges of my macbook further.

Or is it possible that mac should have foreseen that not everyone is going to use their macbook in the most perfectly ergonomic way possible and made allowances for that? In fact, I don't think they were even thinking about how it was going to be used. They just thought it looked cool and didn't bother to test it out.

jmoh
Aug 18, 2008, 01:25 AM
Why is everyone joking around in this thread? This is a serious issue guys...The problem is that you have girl hands, change that and your hands wont hurt anymore.

This should give you an idea of what to do.

(Yes, that is a chemical burn. Yes, it will hurt more than any burn and it will leave a scar.)
http://www.chm.bris.ac.uk/webprojects2006/Macgee/Web%20Project/chemical_burn.jpg

TwinCities Dan
Aug 18, 2008, 01:27 AM
Rant[snip]

That was a little extreme! :rolleyes:

We all get lazy and cheat on the ergo stuff from time to time. What would you prefer? Rounded edges? So it would look like long skinny lips? :p

jacksam101
Aug 18, 2008, 03:06 AM
I had the exact same problem and had the exact same marks on my forearms. The problem comes from using the MacBook in bed. On a desk is usually not a problem. It bothered me so much I had to trade it in... for store credit... currently waiting for 24" iMacs to show up in Canada. If it wasn't for the pain, I'd have kept the MacBook. It's a solid machine, I was very impressed.

You will have more problems trying to balance the 24" iMac on the bed!!! probably worse marks as a result

BlackMax
Aug 18, 2008, 12:53 PM
I've noticed this from time to time when typing on my MacBook somewhere other than my desk. The solution is to adjust your typing posture.

At my desk I have a wireless keyboard and mouse so it is never an issue there.

ruku
Aug 19, 2008, 06:41 AM
ruku, did you have the sharp edges problem with your wrists before you bought this? From the images I'm not convinced it would help, so I'm interested if it provided alleviation for you? Thanks!

i did notice how sharp the edges were but i wasnt bothered by it, but when i saw this thread i tried to rub my wrists there and found that it had no affect at all. its as blunt as politicians sex appeal. the edge of the case raises about a millimetre higher than the edge of the sharp plastic lip and you wont notice any discomfort i reckon.

jakepa2001
Aug 19, 2008, 08:33 PM
i did notice how sharp the edges were but i wasnt bothered by it, but when i saw this thread i tried to rub my wrists there and found that it had no affect at all. its as blunt as politicians sex appeal. the edge of the case raises about a millimetre higher than the edge of the sharp plastic lip and you wont notice any discomfort i reckon.

Thanks Ruku. I'll look into the case you mention.

In the meantime, I have my own solution that is working pretty well for me. I cut the toes off a pair of socks and wear them folded double round my wrists, so they are like wrist bands (I guess I could have just got wrist bands).. I don't care that it looks stupid - I'm only using them at home. Now I have no sharp edges problem at all (just a fashion one).

iSocks anyone?

*Sandy*
Aug 19, 2008, 08:42 PM
never had a issue .

skir0987
Aug 19, 2008, 09:43 PM
Maybe apple meant for the macbook to have sharp edges to promote emo-ness XD

On the other hand, I have never had a problem with my wrists on my macbook, and I rest them on the edge all the time.

-Shep

wchua24
Aug 20, 2008, 10:09 AM
i think you need to switch to macbook air..

hogfaninga
Aug 20, 2008, 10:13 AM
Personally I have never had a problem with it.

TwinCities Dan
Aug 20, 2008, 06:29 PM
Thanks Ruku. I'll look into the case you mention.

In the meantime, I have my own solution that is working pretty well for me. I cut the toes off a pair of socks and wear them folded double round my wrists, so they are like wrist bands (I guess I could have just got wrist bands).. I don't care that it looks stupid - I'm only using them at home. Now I have no sharp edges problem at all (just a fashion one).

iSocks anyone?

:eek: LOL! Whatever floats your boat... :D

Elven
Aug 20, 2008, 07:10 PM
I think my Macbook is very rare, no sharp edges, runs well, all sealed up well.

Did someone know I was a perfectionist.