PDA

View Full Version : Redesigned MacBook Pro Power Adapter Coming?

MacRumors
Oct 9, 2007, 05:36 PM
http://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com)

Apple has reportedly halted shipments (http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/07/10/09/briefly_redesigned_macbook_pro_power_adapters_on_the_way.html) of its MacBook Pro MagSafe power adapter according to AppleInsider.

Several people familiar with the matter say the Cupertino-based firm began pulling inventory of the 85W power supplies from its retail stores a few weeks ago. Those same people say Apple also discontinued shipments to third party retailers ahead of "redesigned" models that are expected to ship sometime later this month of early next.

The site notes that several issues have been reported regarding Apple's power supplies. Indeed, our forums have been active regarding the issues, the most serious of which appears to be related to fraying of the wire at the base (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=365267) and near the MagSafe connector (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=366220). Another more minor issue is related to the LED light not accurately displaying the charging status (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=357288).

It should be noted that AppleInsider is very clear that the redesign appears to be intended for the MacBook Pro adapter, despite the issues being reported in both the 85W and 60W versions.

This would make the second time the MacBook Pro power adapter has been re-designed. Earlier this summer Apple released a smaller version of the adapter (http://www.macrumors.com/2007/07/21/compact-macbook-pro-power-adapter/).

Article Link (http://www.macrumors.com/2007/10/09/redesigned-macbook-pro-power-adapter-coming/)

dizastor
Oct 9, 2007, 05:43 PM
no love for the regular macbook

I had my adapter replaced under warranty due to premature fraying. :(

longofest
Oct 9, 2007, 05:48 PM
I'm honestly surprised why a recall hasn't been issued for this yet. People are apt to debate whether or not people are being too tough on their cords or not, but the fact still remains that a short happened, and the built-in circuit breaker did not activate to prevent the plastic from melting and a fire hazard from forming.

At the very least, it seems to me like there is a problem with the circuit breaker, if not remaining issues with how the insulation is constructed.

Ja Di ksw
Oct 9, 2007, 05:49 PM
Why is Apple so bad at making power adaptors for their portables? I know of so many people who have had broken ones despite taking good care of them. One of my own started sparking(!), and the one they gave me to replace it with has to be rotated a certain way or the power will cut out. My girlfriend's is fraying right at the plug, and my friend's is breaking at the connection to the brick. The reviews of them on Apple's website are horrible.

Get with it, Apple!

MattG
Oct 9, 2007, 05:50 PM
Yep...I ordered one almost a week ago -- said 2-3 weeks backorder. I just wanted a spare, but maybe they'll recall all of them so I can get my original one replaced. Right now it's working fine, but it does worry me when I read stories about frayed wires and whatever.

NewSc2
Oct 9, 2007, 05:50 PM
I haven't seen any issues with mine or any of my friends' Macbooks or Macbook Pros (gotta be at least a dozen total). It's shown the wrong LED light a couple times, but that's a couple out of a few hundred times I'd looked at it.

irun5k
Oct 9, 2007, 06:05 PM
I haven't seen any issues with mine or any of my friends' Macbooks or Macbook Pros (gotta be at least a dozen total). It's shown the wrong LED light a couple times, but that's a couple out of a few hundred times I'd looked at it.

No problem with the adapter on my Macbook either. I don't dispute that others are having legitimate problems though- which leads me to think it isn't a design problem but a manufacturing/quality control problem?

Doctor Q
Oct 9, 2007, 06:09 PM
Why is Apple so bad at making power adaptors for their portables?Does Apple really have a worse track record than other computer vendors?

MLeepson
Oct 9, 2007, 06:19 PM
Does Apple really have a worse track record than other computer vendors?

This is one thing that Apple is not good at. I complained about my PB G4 adapters. (I have 3, each one is burnt and melted and one sparks) I know have to go to the store for them to look at it because what I said over the phone wasn't good enough. :rolleyes: It's ridiculous.

michaelrjohnson
Oct 9, 2007, 06:19 PM

...took the words right out of my mouth.

burn808
Oct 9, 2007, 06:22 PM
Unbelievable. Only just bought the latest version because the old version was too big.Must admit that I haven't had any problems with either but those pics are really worrying - no house fires please....

Digital Skunk
Oct 9, 2007, 06:22 PM
Why not a redesigned MacBook Pro?

Come on Apple give me something to spend my money on! :mad:

flopticalcube
Oct 9, 2007, 06:25 PM
Keep trying Apple. Maybe this time you'll get it right.

Mgkwho
Oct 9, 2007, 06:37 PM
Yeah, I noticed the LED light not working for me all the time either. Earlier this year the cord almost frayed. Maybe this time I'll get the newly designed "smaller" version.

-=|Mgkwho

joshwest
Oct 9, 2007, 06:59 PM
yeah my new mbp 2.4 was a missng its adapter i called to see if they would send one out and it been 3 weeks. they said they wouldnt be sent out for 4-5 weeks so hopefully soon ill get a new one.

puuukeey
Oct 9, 2007, 07:03 PM
will they ever get it right? I've had so many of these things go on me...

Koodauw
Oct 9, 2007, 07:10 PM
yeah my new mbp 2.4 was a missng its adapter i called to see if they would send one out and it been 3 weeks. they said they wouldnt be sent out for 4-5 weeks so hopefully soon ill get a new one.

How can you use a laptop without that? I would be incredibly po'ed if I had to wait that long for the adapter.

corywoolf
Oct 9, 2007, 07:18 PM
no love for the regular macbook

I had my adapter replaced under warranty due to premature fraying. :(

What does this fraying look like? I think my adapter has been frayed for over a year now. Anyone have a pic?

kvasir
Oct 9, 2007, 07:23 PM
My MBP power adapter frayed near the MagSafe port a while back. It was fine for a while and started to look brown and I started to smell something burning. Got up a few seconds later to get something out of the oven and the whole thing had melted and had exposed the wiring.

Took it to the Apple store and the genius said "Sorry, can't do anything about it. You can buy a new one." I told him how this could have set fire to my apartment and how it literally just sits around on a desk and hardly ever gets moved. After a few minutes of bickering about how I had AppleCare and how this is a safety hazard, he went to the back and got me a new power adapter. It's "the last one I'm getting" were his words.

Glad to see it's a little more widespread. My new one hasn't given me trouble, but if there is a recall, I'll welcome a new one!

Mac Fly (film)
Oct 9, 2007, 07:23 PM
Nice to see this, but about damn time.

Stang68
Oct 9, 2007, 07:34 PM
I bought my MBP in June but havent had any problems with my power adaptor. The only problem is that it is HUGE compared to the new "smaller" ones. You guys think they will do a recall and I will be able to get a new one?

ginoledesma
Oct 9, 2007, 07:43 PM
The fraying isn't unique to the MagSafe adapters, though. The adapters during the iBook G3/G4 era were prone to that also. At least there were cheaper alternatives to consider (e.g. MacAlly).

The MagSafe adapters have been the most defect-prone, though. The first round it was about melting strips (http://www.appledefects.com/?p=285), as well as "buzzing" it generated when plugged in.

At least they're doing something to correct this. But I think a recall will only be issued if this has gotten critical mass.

Eidorian
Oct 9, 2007, 07:46 PM
Keep trying Apple. Maybe this time you'll get it right.Haha, oh wow.

Maybe we do complain a bit much about Apple. Then again we do want them to ship the best products. Maybe they should listen to us a bit more often. :rolleyes:

flopticalcube
Oct 9, 2007, 07:48 PM
Maybe we do complain a bit much about Apple.

If we don't, who will? ;)

Billy Boo Bob
Oct 9, 2007, 08:05 PM
Anyone know how to tell what adapters they're on about? My sister just brought home a shiny new hi-rez MBP 17 and it has an adapter in it... But I don't know if it's different or not since I've never seen an "old" one.

She has an A1222 model number.

probablyjack
Oct 9, 2007, 08:11 PM
should i be excited?

Ticcioni
Oct 9, 2007, 08:17 PM
So I took my MBP SR to the Apple Store to get fixed due to this issue. My Power Adpt would turn off right when the laptop was finished charging. But the big issue with me was the laptop would no longer receive power from the adaptor when the light turned off. Now what was really weird I have two Power Adaptors and my primary would turn off right away and my "Spare" would take about 5 minutes to turn off. So after going to the Apple store they said it was not my power adaptors at all and it was my Logic board. So after replacing my Logic board and MagSafe port and a crucial internal power cable my spare power adaptor works great. But Apple did end up replacing my main power adaptor because it was "dead/faulty". Overall Apple seems to care about our issues and is more than willing to take care of us. So if you have the same issue make sure to take your MBP to the Apple store with ALL UPDATES installed!!!! :)

AtariAge
Oct 9, 2007, 08:37 PM
Why is Apple so bad at making power adaptors for their portables? I know of so many people who have had broken ones despite taking good care of them. One of my own started sparking(!), and the one they gave me to replace it with has to be rotated a certain way or the power will cut out. My girlfriend's is fraying right at the plug, and my friend's is breaking at the connection to the brick. The reviews of them on Apple's website are horrible.

Get with it, Apple!
I have to concur, I have owned various Mac laptops--several iBooks, a Ti Powerbook and now a Macbook. Every single one of them has had problems with the power connectors--primarily at the end that plugs into the computer. I've had to buy several replacement power supplies and not only are poorly designed but they are way overpriced. You'd think for as much as Apple charges for them that they'd be of better quality.

And I hoped this quality problem would be improved with the new MagSafe adapters, but I was wrong!! After owning my new Macbook for only a few months, the cable immediately after the MagSafe connector started melting! I took the power supply into an Apple store and it was replaced under warranty. Utterly ridiculous, and I treat these pretty gingerly and I never yank out the connector by the cable.

Go take a look at the reviews for the MagSafe adapters on Apple's site.. The vast majority of the reviews are one star (the lowest rating you can give a product):

Apple 60W MagSafe Power Adapter for MacBook (http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPLE/WebObjects/AppleStore.woa/wa/RSLID?mco=D34B3A3C&fnode=home/shop_mac/mac_accessories/power&nplm=MA538LL/B)

Apple 85W MagSafe Power Adapter (for MacBook Pro) (http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPLE/WebObjects/AppleStore.woa/wa/RSLID?mco=DC2ECB4D&fnode=home/shop_mac/mac_accessories/power&nplm=MA938LL/A)

Power Adapter - 65W (for iBook & PowerBook)
(http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPLE/WebObjects/AppleStore.woa/wa/RSLID?mco=3B5650EF&fnode=home/shop_mac/mac_accessories/power&nplm=M8943LL/A)

Sadly I can only infer that this is a nice profit center for Apple and because they haven't been sued over this issue yet (which is amazing in itself) they have little incentive to make power supplies that outlive their laptops.

..Al

dummptyhummpty
Oct 9, 2007, 08:49 PM
I'm having this issue on my Powerbook G4, the adapter is fraying at the tip of the connector, I can see the black and white wires inside.

Ibjr
Oct 9, 2007, 09:04 PM

Yes. Other vendors use less innovative plugs to connect to computers. Their tried and true methods work... Apple puts a bit too much into style with them. THe G4 Ibook adaptors were terrible b/c the center prong would breakoff (sometimes even in an ibook).

But the magsafe is great (it has prevented what broke off the prong one time on an ibook) so I don't really care.

looking4anotebo
Oct 9, 2007, 09:16 PM

YES

twoodcc
Oct 9, 2007, 09:19 PM
well mine seems to be fine....but glad apple is fixing the problem that others are having.

surroundfan
Oct 9, 2007, 09:22 PM
As someone who's on his third Magsafe, this is welcome news. In both previous cases, the pins broke...

goodcow
Oct 9, 2007, 10:34 PM
I'm on my FOURTH MacBook Pro brick, because the MagSafe ends started fraying on all the other ones. All replaced under AppleCare without a fuss.

It's about time they redesign the stupid thing.

EagerDragon
Oct 9, 2007, 10:34 PM
Over 32 posts about a power adapter?

hexor
Oct 9, 2007, 10:55 PM
I think part of the issue is that they try to keep the cable too light/cheap which results in using too thin of a gauge of wire along with lack of secondary support. Using aluminum is also more prone to fatigue then copper. I'd much rather have a cable twice as thick as the current one and never have to worry about it having trouble later.

And I agree that this is a long standing issue. I have had to replace power adapter on a Powerbook pismo for same reason.. you could actually see it sparking through the clear outer insulation.. maybe that's also why they don't use clear power cables anymore. :p

macagain
Oct 9, 2007, 11:43 PM
interesting... i just got an email today from the Apple store that my adapter just shipped today... I order it about 2 weeks ago.

flopticalcube
Oct 9, 2007, 11:45 PM
interesting... i just got an email today from the Apple store that my adapter just shipped today... I order it about 2 weeks ago.
Let us know if it is any different from the old one. ;)

jhsfosho
Oct 10, 2007, 12:08 AM
Jeeze, i didn't even realize that there was already one redesigned power adaptor. Mine's not fraying yet, but I would be all for a recall to get a smaller power brick.

AppleIntelRock
Oct 10, 2007, 12:21 AM
I cant wait for the power-adapter nano (RED) edition. it's gonna be sweet.

SiliconAddict
Oct 10, 2007, 12:35 AM
I'm honestly surprised why a recall hasn't been issued for this yet. People are apt to debate whether or not people are being too tough on their cords or not, but the fact still remains that a short happened, and the built-in circuit breaker did not activate to prevent the plastic from melting and a fire hazard from forming.

At the very least, it seems to me like there is a problem with the circuit breaker, if not remaining issues with how the insulation is constructed.

Because Apple is cheap and it borderline requires a lawsuit for them to do anything. Prove me wrong guys. How many defects from ibooks, to iMacs, to iPods has a lawsuit either been threatened or outright initiated for Apple to being a program to make things right.
Again Apple is the new Microsoft which is a pity.

James the 2nd
Oct 10, 2007, 12:49 AM
I also had mine fray and start smoking..!!

fortunately I was nearby and switched it off at the power.

This was after about 11 months use. Apple issued a replacement.

I am wondering whether this is caused by the flexibility that is around that area on the cable (the magnetic pullout can only add strain to this I imagine). I would think a redesign of that area of cable ought to sort it out. It's a wonder no ones house has burnt down.

I no longer leave my macbook plugged into the power source unattended.. so no longer going to sleep and letting it charge overnight.. not worth the risk.

Oh yeah, I also use the little plastic rib on the cable to help it maintain a straight line out of the computer in the expectation that this will reduce the strain and fraying in the future.. hmmm

jgerry
Oct 10, 2007, 01:56 AM
I've had my MacBook Pro since January. No issues with my power adapter at all. No fraying at either end. I also didn't know there was a newer, smaller adapter. That would be nice.

DavidOn2
Oct 10, 2007, 02:02 AM
So I went to the Apple Store in Irvine, CA today to replace my frayed MagSafe Adapter for my MacBook Pro. It was covered under warranty. My Genius Bar Work Confirmation says I got an Adapter 85W Item #: 661-4259 but the actual unit he gave me was 611-0463. Its definitely not the slim version. But does anyone know the difference between these two part numbers?

lelereb
Oct 10, 2007, 02:06 AM
Will Apple shock the world removing combo drive?

maestrokev
Oct 10, 2007, 02:27 AM
I have a MagSafe that's fraying too on my MBP with AppleCare.

For those of you that have had it exchanged when you called AppleCare did you have to send the old MagSafe back first? In light of the new redesign coming I'd hate to send my old MagSafe back and be without one for several weeks. Hoping as an AppleCare purchaser that they send you out a new one right away as I don't live near any Apple Stores.

Thanks.

reecey92
Oct 10, 2007, 03:13 AM
hey i have noticed my adapter LED light not being accurate, cant say anything about fraying though...

but this happening, does this mean that they will issue people who have recently bought a new macbook pro with the new adapter?

ScubaDuc
Oct 10, 2007, 03:33 AM
I get big sparks every time I connect the magsafe to the MacBook and if I attach it to the laptop before plugging it in, I get the sparks as I get close to the outlet with the plug. Once it's plugged in, it seems to be fine

I am still in warranty and I don't know if I should let Apple know :confused:

dcv
Oct 10, 2007, 04:08 AM
I'm after a smaller spare charger but haven't got round to buying one yet. The huge brick that shipped with my MBP is an absolute joke for a portable computer. I've also noticed some oddities with the LED - sometimes it doesn't light up at all, sometimes it shows red instead of green etc. And I've read several horror stories on here about the chargers catching alight. Will definitely be shutting down and unplugging my MBP next time I leave my house for more than a day or so...

synth3tik
Oct 10, 2007, 04:20 AM
So far I have not had any issues with either of my powers supplies and hope I never do. The other day though I had set me MBP on a table at the coffee shop to get another coffee and when I set it down the cord near the mag safe connecter got twisted and stuck underneath. I think this may be the start to a lot of the issues people are having.:(

ibinco
Oct 10, 2007, 05:05 AM
The delay in the delivery of the power bricks could mean a couple of things:

- They are stocking up to ship with all New Macbooks (more powerful 85W?)

- They are stocking up to ship with remodelled Macbook Pro ( I wish :eek:)

- They are planning a recall ( wich would be the right thing to do)

- Theres a shortage of parts supply and simply facing loads of backorders.

thecritix
Oct 10, 2007, 05:29 AM
personally... i think the magnet is too strong, If it were less powerful, there would be far less strain on the cable, allowing for a far extended life.

Of course you could look at it the other way and just say apple get your cabling sorted..

rychencop
Oct 10, 2007, 06:29 AM
Unbelievable. Only just bought the latest version because the old version was too big.Must admit that I haven't had any problems with either but those pics are really worrying - no house fires please....

That is why they should just issue a recall before something like that happens. Not only would/could it destroy property, but it endangers life. Both of which would really hurt Apple.

appie57
Oct 10, 2007, 06:49 AM
So far I have not had any issues with either of my powers supplies and hope I never do. The other day though I had set me MBP on a table at the coffee shop to get another coffee and when I set it down the cord near the mag safe connecter got twisted and stuck underneath. I think this may be the start to a lot of the issues people are having.:(

I was also thinking why some people have these bad experiences while others, like myself, have no problem (so far, after almost a year, 2 MBP's). My impression is that the adapter is ok with relatively careful use, but is not well enough designed to withstand occasional 'misuse'. Which leads me to 2 conclusions:
(1) I have to be more careful than average with my present Magsafe adapter (2) it seems better to get a redesigned one, if that design eliminates the current weak spots. This expense seems worth the potential risk, although it would be nice if Apple gives at least a discount for present MBP owners.

MattG
Oct 10, 2007, 07:14 AM
personally... i think the magnet is too strong, If it were less powerful, there would be far less strain on the cable, allowing for a far extended life.

Of course you could look at it the other way and just say apple get your cabling sorted..

I agree. I make it a habit to try prying it off by the plastic piece, but sometimes it can be a bit hard to do, especially if the notebook is lying flat and you can't really grip the plug using the wide ends.

maclincsUK
Oct 10, 2007, 07:26 AM
well this is good news, I had mine replaced once - and the replacement looks like its on its way out! lets hope it sorted before I go to the States at the end of the month so I can buy one there....

dcv
Oct 10, 2007, 07:26 AM
I agree. I make it a habit to try prying it off by the plastic piece, but sometimes it can be a bit hard to do, especially if the notebook is lying flat and you can't really grip the plug using the wide ends.

Then don't pull it... push it gently downwards at an angle and it pops off nicely ;)

OllyW
Oct 10, 2007, 07:31 AM
Then don't pull it... push it gently downwards at an angle and it pops off nicely ;)

That's how I unplug mine, I've had no problems so far.

bytethese
Oct 10, 2007, 07:56 AM
This is one thing that Apple is not good at. I complained about my PB G4 adapters. (I have 3, each one is burnt and melted and one sparks) I know have to go to the store for them to look at it because what I said over the phone wasn't good enough. :rolleyes: It's ridiculous.

For power supplies? I'll say yes. I'm on my 3rd power supply with my Macbook Pro. Twice it burned near the end and I smelled something burning with my first one. Could have set something on fire I suppose. The firm I work work has thousands of Lenovo power supplies for our laptops. I haven't seen one go bad in the 5yrs I've been here...

jjd
Oct 10, 2007, 08:32 AM
[QUOTE=ibinco;4304499]The delay in the delivery of the power bricks could mean a couple of things:

- Theres a shortage of parts supply and simply facing loads of backorders.[/QUOTE

I really hope they don't go to an all 85W world. Aircraft in-seat power units will not work with the 85W pack - they trip the circuit breakers in the system. I use my wife's MacBook adapter with my MacBook Pro for that reason

shoobe01
Oct 10, 2007, 08:53 AM
I also like apple design, and think their power adapters are way nicer to pack and use than anyone else's. But they are also demonstrably unreliable. And its not people abusing them. If anything, apple users seem to be more ginger with their pretty, pretty machines.

Until recently (and for years) I worked at a Fortune 50 telecom. Our team had several dozen macs. Of course, we also had like 100 dells and toshibas. Never once saw a bad PC power adapter. Clunky, ugly, hot, etc. but never broken or frayed. The apples? Bad, approaching 100% if you give them time.

The wallstreet and bronze had an adapter recall for fraying and pulling. All of ours went bad and got replaced.

The saucers did seem to work.

The boxy ones starting with the Ti-books were prone to pulling out of the body, or just popping and dying. My favorite was on a weekend, on a trip overseas. It took 4 months to work out the expense report for buying a replacement from a local electronics store. After three died on me alone, in 6 months, I went to a MacAlly one instead. It worked till I left.

The MBPs we had were, when I left, at about a 50% failure rate, at 3 months average age. Popping and dying, or pulling or fraying. So not even one problem, but everything that can go wrong. Our admin was just buying extras so we could replace immediately, and desperately unhappy that no aftermarket ones were available due to the magsafe patent thing.

Hell, a Cube we had (for the VP) had a PS that just went to hell and had to be replaced.

As an example of how lame the design is, has anyone noticed the current cordwrap tabs are the same size as on the Ti- and Al-books, but the cord diameter is bigger? So now it doesn't really fit, and comes off in transport. Apple seems to put their C-team on this work, and its time to get someone competent.

network23
Oct 10, 2007, 09:02 AM
I do hope Apple recalls them. I must have missed my Apple reminder email ... the warranty on my MBP ran out in June and I never did get AppleCare (though I had intended to :(). I'm not seeing any of the symptoms mentioned here yet, for several months my MBP was really more of a desktop, it rarely got moved, but I have noticed the cord right by the magsafe seems bunched up and twisted just under the cover. I'm willing to bet that's fraying.

guzhogi
Oct 10, 2007, 09:04 AM

Get with it, Apple!

I don't think it matters how other vendors are. We use Macs and Apple's power adaptors are awful. I had to replace my boss' MBP adaptor twice, my own once and my iBook G3's multiple times. I love the idea of MagSafe, but they're made terribly.

Trepex
Oct 10, 2007, 09:09 AM

Exactly. Not that complicated :)

Squonk
Oct 10, 2007, 09:41 AM

That thought had crossed my mind as well. Great minds dream alike?? :confused:

Wouldn't you think that since Apple's big push for the magsafe connector was that it would pull off in the event of tripping over the cord, that they would have made the cable extra durable since in the event of a tripping or catching maneuver, there would be extreme stress on this part of the cable?

I really hope they don't go to an all 85W world. Aircraft in-seat power units will not work with the 85W pack - they trip the circuit breakers in the system. I use my wife's MacBook adapter with my MacBook Pro for that reason

I didn't know that about the aircraft power units. Good to know thought! Thanks much!

Roessnakhan
Oct 10, 2007, 09:43 AM
I've had one power adapter replaced due to it melting down by the powerbrick. That was a scary time - reaching down to unplug it and recoiling in pain. The second power adapter I got suffered from fraying at the same point, but the Apple "Geniuses" in Albuquerque can be bastards, so I ended up having to buy a new power brick regardless of how much I complained.

mrweirdo
Oct 10, 2007, 01:30 PM
I've had one power adapter replaced due to it melting down by the powerbrick. That was a scary time - reaching down to unplug it and recoiling in pain. The second power adapter I got suffered from fraying at the same point, but the Apple "Geniuses" in Albuquerque can be bastards, so I ended up having to buy a new power brick regardless of how much I complained.

I would have pushed the issue more. IE demanding to speak to the manager. I'm sure eventualy they would bend. If not the worst they could do is tos you out of the store :P Then its time to call up apple customer relations, local news media, bbb, etc.

henjin
Oct 10, 2007, 02:19 PM

Get with it, Apple!

I hope they fix the MagSafe refusing to connect issue. Simply the worst design even if for the best of intentions. The constant problem has forced me to bench my MacBook Pro and use my Dell for travel.

Apple's so called satisfaction lead is total bunk. If they really had great hardware there would be no need to have a repair center.

I love the new Macs but really miss the old quality control.

thejadedmonkey
Oct 10, 2007, 04:55 PM

I take care of my MBP adapter, and make sure this never happens, as I lost a power cable to my old laptop from behavior like this... and today, just now, while my mac was sitting on my bed, I looked over and saw the LED was out.. I figured the brick had come unplugged.. rather the brick was still charging the computer, it just wasn't showing it...

I think once it's official, I'm going to all Apple and complain about the power adapter, my mouse feels weird, and a speck of dust that's under the LCD screen..
I love the new Macs but really miss the old quality control.
I hate the new macs.. their design doesn't feel Appleish anymore :(

MattG
Oct 10, 2007, 05:01 PM
I really hope they do a recall on any adapters known to be subject to issues; these adapters really make me nervous. My girlfriend purchased a Macbook about 4 or 5 months ago, and I convinced her to stop leaving it plugged in when she's not home because of the issues with sparking/shorting out. I feel bad because I kind of sold her on buying the computer, and I feel like I convinced her to buy a flawed product. My original adapter still seems okay, but I still don't leave it unattended very much. Make good on this, Apple.

I would have pushed the issue more. IE demanding to speak to the manager. I'm sure eventualy they would bend. If not the worst they could do is tos you out of the store :P Then its time to call up apple customer relations, local news media, bbb, etc.

It really angers me when I read stories about Apple stores being so stubborn about a problem that's clearly widespread -- I mean, anyone who reads any of these Mac-news type sites knows about them at least, which means surely Apple knows about them. They track all the trouble tickets they get I'm sure. Yet, they'll vehemently deny the existance of a problem until an official recall is posted. I mean, I don't expect them to advertise that there's a problem without a recall, but you'd think they wouldn't be dicks about fixing something that's clearly their problem.

flopticalcube
Oct 10, 2007, 05:05 PM
I really hope they do a recall on any adapters known to be subject to issues; these adapters really make me nervous. My girlfriend purchased a Macbook about 4 or 5 months ago, and I convinced her to stop leaving it plugged in when she's not home because of the issues with sparking/shorting out. I feel bad because I kind of sold her on buying the computer, and I feel like I convinced her to buy a flawed product. My original adapter still seems okay, but I still don't leave it unattended very much. Make good on this, Apple.

You did sell her a flawed product but don't feel bad as you didn't know it was thusly flawed when you sold her on it and TBH all products are flawed in someway or another.

MattG
Oct 10, 2007, 05:07 PM
You did sell her a flawed product but don't feel bad as you didn't know it was thusly flawed when you sold her on it and TBH all products are flawed in someway or another.

Well yeah...but most products aren't flawed in a "might set your house on fire" kind of way :eek: ;)

bigandy
Oct 11, 2007, 05:39 AM
i've been pretty damn careful with mine, but it's still showing signs it'll fray soon.

the minute it does, off to the apple store and scream until they replace it. i'm not buying another because of their design flaws, i've treated this thing like a baby.

clintbradford@m
Oct 11, 2007, 06:24 AM
>>I'm honestly surprised why a recall hasn't been issued for this yet...

Believe it or not, my power supply for my 13-month-old 17" MBP has worked flawlessly for me. Actually, I have two of them: one at my desk, and one for travelling.

Should *I* be demanding a recall, too?

Let's expand this concept. A few folks are having case problems. And screen problems. And keyboard problems. Should I call AppleCare and demand some new parts...parts that have NOT failed me (and most certainly will NOT be failing...).

I dunno. This is my first Apple computer, after 20+ years using that other OS. I couldn't be more pleased. And I do not believe that MINE is the ONLY MacBook Pro on the planet that is working excellently.

Clint Bradford
909-241-7666

richard4339
Oct 15, 2007, 06:10 AM
I was going to order one this morning, and now I wonder if I should just hold off...

Lucky736
Oct 15, 2007, 08:04 AM
Do you really think if you go in with an attitude like you have in this post anyone would want to help you? Come on. Those people deal with people going nuts all day and you just add to it. Maybe if you didn't come across as a hothead they would be willing to maybe work something else out. :rolleyes:

This is my 3rd Intel Apple Laptop and I have had 0 issues with the adapters. Futhermore, I had 8 Powerbooks that came with the brick, ranging from the TiBooks to a few Aluminums, and the only issues I had were when I walked by and took them for a ride, no wonder the end didn't last on the adapters that I damaged. At what point is it your fault? Do you expect to be able to miuse or abuse them and walk in only to have them replaced? Be reasonable with people and they will be reasonable with you I guess. I bought 2 adapters in that time, both due to me walking by a few times and taking the cord with me, ah well, poop happens and that's that.

That's not to say there are never any issues that just arise not from abuse, but alot of what I hear is people complaining they aren't built well enough, or to withstand this and that. It should withstand being plugged and unplugged, not someone running by that keeps tripping over them and then expects them to last under those circumstances forever. The MagSafe is used to help minimize any damage, not remove it all together. Would you rather your notebook hit the ground or pay 80 bucks for a new adapter after the 5th time you didn't learn your lesson and kept falling over it?

Geez........

It really angers me when I read stories about Apple stores being so stubborn about a problem that's clearly widespread -- I mean, anyone who reads any of these Mac-news type sites knows about them at least, which means surely Apple knows about them. They track all the trouble tickets they get I'm sure. Yet, they'll vehemently deny the existance of a problem until an official recall is posted. I mean, I don't expect them to advertise that there's a problem without a recall, but you'd think they wouldn't be dicks about fixing something that's clearly their problem.

MattG
Oct 15, 2007, 08:29 AM
I don't have an attitude, I'm not a hothead, and I've never given anyone at Apple any attitude. All I simply said was that it bothers me that Apple would stubbornly tell someone "no, it's your fault" when it's clearly not. I realize a lot of people abuse their computers and computer warranties and try to take advantage of Apple, but when there's a widespread problem that needs to be fixed, Apple shouldn't be so quick to automatically blame the customer.

Do you really think if you go in with an attitude like you have in this post anyone would want to help you? Come on. Those people deal with people going nuts all day and you just add to it. Maybe if you didn't come across as a hothead they would be willing to maybe work something else out. :rolleyes:

This is my 3rd Intel Apple Laptop and I have had 0 issues with the adapters. Futhermore, I had 8 Powerbooks that came with the brick, ranging from the TiBooks to a few Aluminums, and the only issues I had were when I walked by and took them for a ride, no wonder the end didn't last on the adapters that I damaged. At what point is it your fault? Do you expect to be able to miuse or abuse them and walk in only to have them replaced? Be reasonable with people and they will be reasonable with you I guess. I bought 2 adapters in that time, both due to me walking by a few times and taking the cord with me, ah well, poop happens and that's that.

That's not to say there are never any issues that just arise not from abuse, but alot of what I hear is people complaining they aren't built well enough, or to withstand this and that. It should withstand being plugged and unplugged, not someone running by that keeps tripping over them and then expects them to last under those circumstances forever. The MagSafe is used to help minimize any damage, not remove it all together. Would you rather your notebook hit the ground or pay 80 bucks for a new adapter after the 5th time you didn't learn your lesson and kept falling over it?

Geez........

SC68Cal
Oct 15, 2007, 04:01 PM
Well, this is bad news for me. I had my laptop adapter stolen from a computer lab. Called my local apple store and they said they have no idea when they'll be in. I'm totally screwed.

MattG
Oct 15, 2007, 04:19 PM
Well, this is bad news for me. I had my laptop adapter stolen from a computer lab. Called my local apple store and they said they have no idea when they'll be in. I'm totally screwed.

Who knows if it'll actually happen, but my online order says "ships by 10/23." Good luck!

MattG
Oct 21, 2007, 12:10 AM
Who knows if it'll actually happen, but my online order says "ships by 10/23." Good luck!

Hey all -- just thought I'd let you know that I just received a shipment notice for the backordered adapter. I wonder if anything will be different? I really hope they're improved, and that Apple does a recall for some of these poor people having issues. I realize that not too many people would probably bother reviewing a power adapter unless they had something negative to say, but...damn...

Brianstorm91
Oct 21, 2007, 07:45 AM
Oh dear :eek:

slackpacker
Oct 21, 2007, 07:54 AM
I got two 85w power adapters.... Wonder if Apple is going to replace them for me since they will fail sooner or later.

CRAZYBUBBA
Oct 21, 2007, 08:04 AM

Thankfully, i've never had issues with my powerbook adapters.

thasan
Oct 21, 2007, 08:12 AM

- Theres a shortage of parts supply and simply facing loads of backorders.

or...
it could mean that they are releasing a new macbook ;)
am i being too optimistic? :D

MikeTheC
Oct 21, 2007, 02:46 PM
Well, speaking as the friend of a former MacBook owner who had his fried when a local tech plugged in the higher-powered adapter instead of the correct one, I'm struck by the thought that I don't really understand why Apple has taken a "two different adapters" strategy in the first place.

(Up to this point, even I didn't realize the two classes of laptop were differentiated in this way. Hey, I'm just an ignorant PowerBook owner...)

While it's true that I like the break-away disconnect feature of the mag connector, I'm struck at times like these -- and the discussion on this thread -- that maybe Apple sometimes designs stuff just for the sake of designing stuff. Maybe they're just trying to keep their engineers busy or something.

MattG
Oct 21, 2007, 04:42 PM
While it's true that I like the break-away disconnect feature of the mag connector, I'm struck at times like these -- and the discussion on this thread -- that maybe Apple sometimes designs stuff just for the sake of designing stuff. Maybe they're just trying to keep their engineers busy or something.

I agree. When I first heard about the MagSafe I thought it was a really cool idea, but honestly now it just annoys me. I can't tell you how often I'm sitting on my couch, and I shift around in my seat a little bit and it makes the cord come unplugged from the slightest tug. They sometimes put design over functionality a little too often.

Lucky736
Oct 21, 2007, 05:27 PM
Just saw this the other day. Not sure if it is worth it or not but I was looking into it. Mine doesn't come loose too often but I do like this idea.

http://thoughtout.biz/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=42

thasan
Oct 24, 2007, 01:54 PM
Just saw this the other day. Not sure if it is worth it or not but I was looking into it. Mine doesn't come loose too often but I do like this idea.

http://thoughtout.biz/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=42

12 dollar for a piece of plastic?
god save me!!:eek:

MattG
Oct 24, 2007, 01:58 PM

That, and it would appear that it uses up one of your USB ports. (and yes, I do often have a need for both of mine at the same time)

MrGouda
Oct 25, 2007, 12:01 PM
I also like apple design, and think their power adapters are way nicer to pack and use than anyone else's. But they are also demonstrably unreliable. And its not people abusing them. If anything, apple users seem to be more ginger with their pretty, pretty machines.

Until recently (and for years) I worked at a Fortune 50 telecom. Our team had several dozen macs. Of course, we also had like 100 dells and toshibas. Never once saw a bad PC power adapter. Clunky, ugly, hot, etc. but never broken or frayed. The apples? Bad, approaching 100% if you give them time.

The wallstreet and bronze had an adapter recall for fraying and pulling. All of ours went bad and got replaced.

The saucers did seem to work.

The boxy ones starting with the Ti-books were prone to pulling out of the body, or just popping and dying. My favorite was on a weekend, on a trip overseas. It took 4 months to work out the expense report for buying a replacement from a local electronics store. After three died on me alone, in 6 months, I went to a MacAlly one instead. It worked till I left.

The MBPs we had were, when I left, at about a 50% failure rate, at 3 months average age. Popping and dying, or pulling or fraying. So not even one problem, but everything that can go wrong. Our admin was just buying extras so we could replace immediately, and desperately unhappy that no aftermarket ones were available due to the magsafe patent thing.

Hell, a Cube we had (for the VP) had a PS that just went to hell and had to be replaced.

As an example of how lame the design is, has anyone noticed the current cordwrap tabs are the same size as on the Ti- and Al-books, but the cord diameter is bigger? So now it doesn't really fit, and comes off in transport. Apple seems to put their C-team on this work, and its time to get someone competent.

I agree Apple should allow third parties to make a more durable mag safe plug. I mean, if they won't spend the time or resources to properly redesign the power adapter, I'm pretty sure there are others willing to do it (and probably cost less than than Apple's adapter). I would welcome extra choices from different vendors, instead of just being at the mercy of Apple.

psychofreak
Oct 25, 2007, 12:04 PM
I was shocked when I heard people complain about the Magsafe...I'm so clumsy my Macbook would be cracked in half without it. Thats definitely worth a few annoying pull-outs...

Roessnakhan
Oct 25, 2007, 12:59 PM
Thats definitely worth a few annoying pull-outs...

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/7/7f/Michaelscott.jpg/250px-Michaelscott.jpg

"That's what she said."

mdntcallr
Oct 26, 2007, 08:22 AM
i havent had any problems with my 85w magsafe power, biggest problems though now

1- NONE available. anywhere. Not in apple stores, not in best buy, comp usa. etc. (these things can break, die on you after even consumer misuse, ie i broke the wire on mine and need a replacement, but can't find it anywhere.)

2- allow third party manufacturers. that apple does not allow anyone else to manufacture is horrible. apple does not supply everywhere and at this point apple's supply chain on power adapters is a joke.

mdntcallr
Oct 28, 2007, 02:03 PM
This is really frustrating for me ... my 85 W power adapter frayed at the base to the power block.

i need a replacement.... it's essential for me. and there are none to be had. literally.

If apple is having problems with their own units. Please for the love of god license magsafe tech to Kensington and other power adapter manufacturers who are mac friendly.

Let others make Macbook and Macbook Pro power adapters already.

supersurge
Oct 30, 2007, 09:47 AM

I would think so... My dull... I mean dell power adapter has gone through almost 3 years of travel abuse without missing a beat! I will be buying a MB very soon anyway!
Cheers

MattG
Oct 30, 2007, 12:34 PM
I just received my new adapter, and there doesn't seem to be anything different about it...at least nothing obvious. Works okay so far.

scotty96LSC
Oct 30, 2007, 12:40 PM
I was also thinking why some people have these bad experiences while others, like myself, have no problem (so far, after almost a year, 2 MBP's). My impression is that the adapter is ok with relatively careful use, but is not well enough designed to withstand occasional 'misuse'. Which leads me to 2 conclusions:
(1) I have to be more careful than average with my present Magsafe adapter (2) it seems better to get a redesigned one, if that design eliminates the current weak spots. This expense seems worth the potential risk, although it would be nice if Apple gives at least a discount for present MBP owners.
Same here. Year old and no problems with careful use.

Brianstorm91
Nov 1, 2007, 02:17 PM
So which adaptors are shipping with current and new Macs? The old, faulty versions?

MattG
Nov 1, 2007, 04:20 PM
So which adaptors are shipping with current and new Macs? The old, faulty versions?

Well it's the newer redesigned (smaller) ones. Whether or not they've changed at all as far as the connector is concerned, who knows.

ipo
Nov 2, 2007, 01:30 PM

:eek: :D :D and unbelievably stupid :) as well

2jaded2care
Nov 2, 2007, 05:15 PM
Well, speaking as the friend of a former MacBook owner who had his fried when a local tech plugged in the higher-powered adapter instead of the correct one, I'm struck by the thought that I don't really understand why Apple has taken a "two different adapters" strategy in the first place.

(Up to this point, even I didn't realize the two classes of laptop were differentiated in this way. Hey, I'm just an ignorant PowerBook owner...)

Um, unless I'm tragically mistaken, this story doesn't seem likely. The 60W and 85W Magsafe adapters appear to be the same voltage and pin config, it's just their capacities which are different:

"I already own a MacBook Pro—can I use the power supply that came with it on a MacBook?

If you hold the two power supplies side by side, you’ll notice that the MacBook Pro’s is larger. That’s because the MacBook Pro uses an 85-watt power supply, while the MacBook uses a 60-watt power supply. Apple says you can use the more powerful, 85-watt power supply with a MacBook without any problems, and that in 80 percent to 90 percent of situations, you can use the MacBook’s power supply with the more-demanding MacBook Pro as well. If you’re really taxing the MacBook Pro’s processor with some heavy-duty work, the MacBook’s adapter will still be able to power the MacBook Pro—but it may not have any power left over to charge its battery."

Link:
http://www.macworld.com/2006/05/firstlooks/macbookfaq/index.php

This is an old link, and maybe something's changed, but I find it unlikely that Apple would make two Magsafe adapters with different voltages, either of which could fry out a laptop if plugged into the wrong machine.

Let me know if I'm wrong, though.

mandoman
Nov 7, 2007, 06:03 PM
MacBook Pro Power Adapters, which were previously
backordered for quite a long time, are now in stock (http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPLE/WebObjects/AppleStore.woa/wa/RSLID?mco=816A0BD3&fnode=home/shop_mac/mac_accessories/power&nplm=MA938LL/A)
and ship within 24 hours.

Part# is MA938LL/A

It doesn't look like these are new (they are the new smaller ones,
but not the new new ones indicated were coming in this thread).

Any news? Anyone receive one of these recently?

CMD is me
Nov 12, 2007, 09:48 AM
Had my addapter replaced as well, but on the G4 (similar design different plug). Honestly my friends PC has a better (smaller) power supply.

mdntcallr
Nov 14, 2007, 02:50 PM
I just bought 2 power adapters at the Apple store.

85w macbook pro versions. Part# is MA938LL/A

looks like the new models which came in are NOT the smaller variety. instead after the product problems, they reverted back to the larger older model.

lame!

MattG
Nov 14, 2007, 03:05 PM
I just bought 2 power adapters at the Apple store.

85w macbook pro versions. Part# is MA938LL/A

looks like the new models which came in are NOT the smaller variety. instead after the product problems, they reverted back to the larger older model.

lame!

That's odd, because the one I just purchased from them online was the smaller version. I thought the ones with all the problems were the older, larger ones?