Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

technicolor

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Dec 21, 2005
><><><><
I was sitting here surfing the net and I started smelling smoke. I followed the strongness of the scent and look down and saw actual smoke coming from the cord on my brick.

281965016.jpg

281965011.jpg

281965722.jpg

technicolor

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Dec 21, 2005
><><><><
I didnt know there was a new one. This one came with my SR MBP that I bought less than 90 days ago.

Yes I am on the phone with Apple right now, and they are BSing me telling me it will take 14 days to get a replacement.

triddent222

macrumors regular
Jul 27, 2007
Somewhere interesting
I didnt know there was a new one. This one came with my SR MBP that I bought less than 90 days ago.

Yes I am on the phone with Apple right now, and they are BSing me telling me it will take 14 days to get a replacement.

If there's an Apple Store near you, i would strongly advise you to go there and ask for a replacement. Something similar happened to mine (sans the fire), and they just gave me a new one, no questions asked. The guy was really pleasant if not sweet (might have been mere luck though).

Btw, Have you stepped on the adapter recently?

dcv

macrumors G3
May 24, 2005
Holy crap, I've seen a few of these types of threads now :eek:

Hope nothing else was damaged and that you get a replacement for it ASAP.

This is a really good reminder for me to shut down and unplug my MBP when I go away for a few days next week...

bijou

macrumors regular
Sep 7, 2007
That's scary!

Just out of curiosity, was that cord wound up around the prongs or was it loose? I've always wondered how safe it is to wind it up in order to shorten the length.

technicolor

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Dec 21, 2005
><><><><
I made a fuss about it and they said it will be here Tuesday which is fine.

No the cord was loose, it actually never leaves that area the of the house I almost exclusively use my laptop in the same place so I leave it plugged up there along the side of the couch between a wall. Thank goodness I have a desktop. Ive moved all my files off the lappy so I can work on my desktop before it got to 0 power. The fact that I could smell it strong is what scared me the most.

flopticalcube

macrumors G4
90 days might have been just on the cusp of the changeover to the new power adapters. The new one should be smaller and have longer strain relief plastic. This, along with the Mighty Mouse scroll ball, is one of Apple's more glaring design mistakes. At least they are doing something about it.

Quiara

macrumors regular
Sep 17, 2007
This is a really good reminder for me to shut down and unplug my MBP when I go away for a few days next week...

. . . you. . . leave it at home? *boggle*

J/k. I just generally wag mine with me wherever I go. My inner geek can't handle the separation. ^_^

Lividity

macrumors newbie
Oct 6, 2007

The fraying of the power adaptor cord is a well-known issue. A lot of people who bought their MB/Ps in the last 18 months are having this (very serious) problem. Check out the reviews on the Apple online store:
http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPLE/WebObjects/AppleStore.woa/wa/RSLID?mco=7E4EB91E&nplm=MA938LL/A

Pretty horrific.

That also explains why there is short supply. A lot of people are having them replaced. They're almost as rare as 15" MBPs at this stage. Wait time is listed as 2-3 weeks and you will be hard pressed to find a reseller that actually has them on hand.

squeeks

macrumors 68040
Jun 19, 2007
Florida
Are you kidding? That scroll ball MAKES the MM. It is orgasmic...

the functionality of the scroll ball is nice...but its quality is crap ive only had mine about a month and already had to wash the stupid little ball to get it to scroll up again

zioxide

macrumors 603
Dec 11, 2006
That also explains why there is short supply. A lot of people are having them replaced. They're almost as rare as 15" MBPs at this stage. Wait time is listed as 2-3 weeks and you will be hard pressed to find a reseller that actually has them on hand.

My secondary one has been on order since Sept 9th and isn't due to ship until Oct 19th last time I checked.

polycat33

macrumors 6502
Jul 1, 2007
Alexandria, VA
the functionality of the scroll ball is nice...but its quality is crap ive only had mine about a month and already had to wash the stupid little ball to get it to scroll up again

Ooh, heaven forbid you have to wash it :eek:

Apples site says to wash it weekly to keep it clean. I don't look at it as a negative that it has to be kept clean. Mine has been working flawlessly because I clean it on a regular basis, while lots of people say it locks up and can't get it to work again. Lots of things need to be kept clean, it's not a negative quality.

/V\acpower

macrumors 6502a
Jul 31, 2007
Ooh, heaven forbid you have to wash it :eek:

Apples site says to wash it weekly to keep it clean. I don't look at it as a negative that it has to be kept clean. Mine has been working flawlessly because I clean it on a regular basis, while lots of people say it locks up and can't get it to work again. Lots of things need to be kept clean, it's not a negative quality.

Simple curiosity, is the scroll ball work like and old mouse with a rubber ball ?

ezekielrage_99

macrumors 68040
Oct 12, 2005
Is this just an issue with the Macbook Pro's power brick or does this also happen to the Macbooks as well?

cogsinister

macrumors 6502a
Aug 24, 2006
Fredericton NB Canada
The power brick on my 3 week old MB seems to have a longer strain relief thingy where the cord enters the power brick.....i hope i have one of the new ones !!!

That is scary !!!!!!

Schtumple

macrumors 601
Jun 13, 2007
benkadams.com
Simple curiosity, is the scroll ball work like and old mouse with a rubber ball ?

Yes, exactly the same, so it gets clogged with crud very easily...

Remember that rumor ages ago about adding in multi touch technology to mice, maybe that could replace the scroll ball? just have a specific area thats touch sensitive.

Anyway back on topic, this magsafe problem is beyond out of control, it must be a stupidly high amount of these things that are breaking now, 1/5?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.