PDA

View Full Version : iPhoneSimFree 1.1.1 iPhone Unlock

MacRumors
Oct 11, 2007, 01:15 PM
http://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com)

iPhoneSimFree (http://www.iphonesimfree.com/cgi-bin/iphonesimfree/engine.pl?page=home) claims to have a working version of their software SIM unlocking application for iPhone 1.1.1. They credit the iPhone Dev Team for finding a method for "jailbreaking" the 1.1.1 filesystem. The side effect is that they are now able to load their SIMFREE software onto the iPhone.
Our sincere congratulations, to the iPhone/ iTouch Dev Team for their brilliant work in finding an ingenious way to jailbreak the 1.1.1 system. This exciting news means we are now able to gladly welcome all SIMFREE unlocked phone owners to UPGRADE to 1.1.1 if they so wish

They also offer instructions on how to debrick unlocked iPhones that were prematurely upgraded to firmware 1.1.1.

iPhoneSimFree's solutions are commercial and require purchase through one of their resellers (http://www.iphonesimfree.com/cgi-bin/iphonesimfree/engine.pl?page=buy).

Article Link (http://www.macrumors.com/iphone/2007/10/11/iphonesimfree-1-1-1-iphone-unlock/)

Dagless
Oct 11, 2007, 01:22 PM
The mouse has caught up with the cat.

1.1.2 soon?

atropos
Oct 11, 2007, 01:22 PM
I don't really believe this company....

I bought it when their first released... and wait ... .wait ... . wait... . couple week later, after anySIM release, I got the software from them, I tried it... it doesn't work;

and I tried anySIM... it works! unlock my iPhone... LoL....

MacTheSpoon
Oct 11, 2007, 01:48 PM
I guess this is the real reason that Apple broke 3d party apps when they updated. They aren't out to squish all third party apps, just the ones that unlock the SIM. Unfortunately, that squashes everyone.

I guess that Apple is considering this problem very seriously as they develop an SDK, and it's why they haven't released one yet. They need to be able to avoid SIM unlocking applications being developed if they release an SDK, and I guess they're still figuring out how to do that.

kironin
Oct 11, 2007, 03:54 PM
The real problem is not technical. It was the original business decision to have a locked phone for full price rather than what the rest of the industry does in offering a discount for a locked phone and full price for an unlocked phone.

If they had released the phone worldwide at an unlocked price of $600 and then started with $399 locked with particular companies with all these extra features that you get only with the locked phone like the voicemail that require service from the cellphone company, announced that an SDK would be released, etc. , then the pressure to hack the phone would be non-existent.

I think you can thank the corporate attitudes of American cell phone companies for screwing this up for Apple. I hope they had better judgement than this and were forced in to this no-win situtation by ATT. Because its making them look like real asses.

PDE
Oct 11, 2007, 04:40 PM
Can anybody explain why the iphonesimfree solution would be better than the free solution to unlocking? I still don't quite understand what they are doing compared to what the iphone dev. team has done and why the unlock by the latter bricks the iphone when it's updated, while the former doesn't.

Anybody?

alecgold
Oct 11, 2007, 05:28 PM
Can anybody explain why the iphonesimfree solution would be better than the free solution to unlocking? I still don't quite understand what they are doing compared to what the iphone dev. team has done and why the unlock by the latter bricks the iphone when it's updated, while the former doesn't.

Anybody?

Its not better, its a kind of a scam. They say they broke 1.1.1 but they let you downgrade and then they break the simlock. But you dont have the update anymore except in the baseband!
So I bought the unlocking for my 1.0.2 but I still can't have the update to 1.1.1
They only manage to unbrick phones. Which is superb for brick owners, but isn't very much use for the rest of us!
just my 0,01

PDE
Oct 11, 2007, 07:07 PM
Its not better, its a kind of a scam. They say they broke 1.1.1 but they let you downgrade and then they break the simlock. But you dont hAve they update anymore except the baseband!
So I bought the unlockinc for my 1.0.2 but I still can't have the update to 1.1.1
They only manage to unbrick phones. Which is superb for brick owners, but isn't very much use for the rest of us!
just my 0,01

So you are not able to upgrade to 1.1.1 after all?? That's definitely not how they present it on their site...

alecgold
Oct 11, 2007, 07:18 PM
So you are not able to upgrade to 1.1.1 after all?? That's definitely not how they present it on their site...

It's kinda upgrade proof, if you upgrade to 1.1.1 it won't work because it can't be activated. But if you downgrade it is already unlocked again.

However, if you can't activate it isn't much use to unlock it as you can't use it when you can't activate. They seem to have passed the activation on a dodgy way, but they couldn't make calls either IIRC.
I thougt also it could be done, so I bought a unlocking licence and now I'm again back at 1.0.2
It works again like it did (I'm syncing now again to get all my info in and use it to work tomorrow) but I'm 75 bucks lighter and the phone is still doing the same beautifull thing :P

Ha ze
Oct 11, 2007, 07:53 PM
...and then all these phones will get bricked when Apple updates to 1.2.1 to add a new application...

davidlt
Oct 12, 2007, 12:42 AM
While there still exist such thing as bit and man's brain, no one can stop people from braking technology. You want it or not, it will always be open source for people who understand this.

alecgold
Oct 12, 2007, 02:02 AM
While there still exist such thing as bit and man's brain, no one can stop people from braking technology. You want it or not, it will always be open source for people who understand this.

I think this phone has to many advantages when it is opened. Your regular phone hasn't got internet, it barely can browse, or email in a 85% version. So because there is a lot to win, and because there is a large market (either for getting fame/respect or for money) it is atractive to hack into it.

As to the bricking of the phones, mine has been bricked for 5 minutes. You dont have to update.... Just wait two weeks and the first cracks in the securityfacade begin to apear. And eventually it will be jailbroken and unlocked again.

LastZion
Oct 12, 2007, 10:44 AM

I'm with you on that one. I was about to take the plunge finally, but Im waitin for the dust to settle on this I guess. Very confusing.

Is there any update on iPhone 2, or Rev B? I'd hate to have waited this long, take the plunge then the update is announced

shklogan1
Oct 12, 2007, 11:52 AM
if you unlock the phone and you will occur issues with the software, and cause a problem with the iphone if you have any problems with the phone you void your warranty so unlock if you want you really will be sol haha:D

Nimiety
Oct 12, 2007, 12:05 PM
Umm....

I actually read the instructions, and the readme itself. It quite clearly allows people to both upgrade their phone to 1.1.1 and sim (and app) unlock it as well.

Oh, it does not change the baseband version (which is how some of the previously phones got bricked), and if you are ever stuck, it quite clearly indicates you can restore back to an untouched version.

Not sure if people are just mis-reading this or glossing over the facts or what?

rickx
Oct 12, 2007, 12:20 PM
My iphone's not arrived yet, but I think you are missing something here. I read both the dev team's latest developements (their jailbreaking) and the IPSF instructions. The dev team provides a way to jailbreak (get r/w access) the phone AND to activate it. The IPSF cares for the unlocking - saying it remains unlocked also after upgrading to 1.1.1. So, if 1+1 still makes 2, why can't you just use the parts of the two solutions you need to get your 1.1.1 to work? (I mean those of you who do not want to wait for a free unlocking solution). That should work.

kkk234
Oct 12, 2007, 11:33 PM
I am about yo buy an iphone with the 1.1.1 firmware update. If I use iPhone Sim free to unlock it, will it work with any other sim? Or do I need to first downgrade to 1.0.2?

daneoni
Oct 13, 2007, 03:31 AM
It's kinda upgrade proof, if you upgrade to 1.1.1 it won't work because it can't be activated. But if you downgrade it is already unlocked again.

However, if you can't activate it isn't much use to unlock it as you can't use it when you can't activate. They seem to have passed the activation on a dodgy way, but they couldn't make calls either IIRC.
I thougt also it could be done, so I bought a unlocking licence and now I'm again back at 1.0.2
It works again like it did (I'm syncing now again to get all my info in and use it to work tomorrow) but I'm 75 bucks lighter and the phone is still doing the same beautifull thing :P

Isn't this (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=366989) meant to allow you activate. I mean if you do the 1.1.1 Jailbreak and install IPSF software surely you should be able to unlock without needing to reactivate?

PDE
Oct 13, 2007, 07:13 AM
This is confusing.

I have a 1.02 phone that was unlocked with iunlock. If I use IPSF's method, do I have to first brick the phone by updating the firmware and then downgrade again to 1.02, apply IPSF software, update to 1.1 and then jailbreak/activate with iphone dev team's method?

Has anybody managed to update and unlock their unlocked (free unlock) 1.02 iphone to 1.1.1 with IPSF?

Thank for any information - it really is a little confusing.

Nimiety
Oct 13, 2007, 08:31 AM
Yes, many people have unlocked their phones with this method and then had the following three characteristics:
- they now had 1.1.1
- they could now use any sim / GSM carrier
- they could freely install apps

The method does involve going back to 1.0.2, but if you want to think of it this way, it's like dropping back ten to punt 30 yards forward - one step back for two steps forward - whatever analogy you'd like to insert here.

Please read the other thread entitled: Another iPhone 1.1.1 Jailbreak Method

Also, it's important to understand that there are/were two main methods of unlocking phones - ones that modified the software, and ones that modified the baseband - Apple could check and brick the baseband ones since the software was less obtrusively done. What that means is that, even if a future update comes out, the likely worst case is that you can upgrade and have a locked up phone (that will likely be correctable with another future hack) instead of having a brick.

James...

JonHimself
Oct 13, 2007, 10:33 AM
Yes, many people have unlocked their phones with this method and then had the following three characteristics:
- they now had 1.1.1

The method does involve going back to 1.0.2, but if you want to think of it this way, it's like dropping back ten to punt 30 yards forward - one step back for two steps forward - whatever analogy you'd like to insert here.

Also, it's important to understand that there are/were two main methods of unlocking phones - ones that modified the software, and ones that modified the baseband - Apple could check and brick the baseband ones since the software was less obtrusively done. What that means is that, even if a future update comes out, the likely worst case is that you can upgrade and have a locked up phone (that will likely be correctable with another future hack) instead of having a brick.

James...

And that is the case with iPhone Sim Free? It is a software fix, right? I have yet to really get a clear answer on this despite spending hours reading over so many threads.
With IPSF you can unlock the 1.0.2 firmware. It also allows you to take a 1.1.1 phone and de-grade the 1.1.1 firmware to 1.02 while keeping the 1.1.1 baseband code (with a little tweaking to be unlocked)? BUT IPSF does NOT allow you to then upgrade back to 1.1.1 AND still have the phone unlocked?
Then when they perform another update I should be able to update it no problem (though the phone will most likely be re-locked)?
I think I have it right, just wanted to double check.

PDE
Oct 13, 2007, 11:30 AM
- they now had 1.1.1

James...

Thanks for that. But what if the phone has been unlocked already with one of the free methods like iunlock? Doesn't one have to reastore the baseband first, before using IPSF software? Aaah....

spinstorm
Oct 13, 2007, 03:03 PM
I am confused myself about what exactly IPSF does when you use it!

I have a 1.0.2 phone NEVER upgraded to 1.1.1, still with firmware 03.14.08_G and I would like to upgrade to 1.1.1 BUT I have already use iUnlock and jailbreak'd the phone so I don't know how to go about using IPSF.

First of all - if I run it now in 1.0.2 my phone is already unlocked - so will IPSF relock and unlock again or will it not work while it is already unlocked?

And do I put the original AT&T SIM in or keep the one I am using now in the phone?

Or do I have to BRICK it before I can restore it and unlock it again?

And to add to the confusion - and please correct me if I am wrong- the current jailbreak and activation for the iphone is extremely complicated AND needs an Intel MAC - which considering I am using a windows PC is a bit problem.

Just so you all know I e-mail a few of the IPSF resellers as well as IPSF direct to ask these same questions and IPSF have not replied yet (its been 2 days!) and the resellers seem to have no idea what the answer is - they have just sent me confusing replies which didn't answer my questions!

We could really do with some help here!

spinstorm
Oct 13, 2007, 03:48 PM
I double checked my information and the NON tiff jailbreak does work on Windows BUT it is way too complicated for me to feel happy using.

And it still doesn't help us understnd what IPSF does when you run it!

I am surprised when you consider how quickly the iPod Touch jailbreak went from over 70 stages to 1 click jailbreaking that we do not have anything that simple for the iPhone update yet!

Whats with th delay?

bonjavi
Oct 14, 2007, 04:18 AM
I am confused myself about what exactly IPSF does when you use it!

I have a 1.0.2 phone NEVER upgraded to 1.1.1, still with firmware 03.14.08_G and I would like to upgrade to 1.1.1 BUT I have already use iUnlock and jailbreak'd the phone so I don't know how to go about using IPSF.

First of all - if I run it now in 1.0.2 my phone is already unlocked - so will IPSF relock and unlock again or will it not work while it is already unlocked?

And do I put the original AT&T SIM in or keep the one I am using now in the phone?

Or do I have to BRICK it before I can restore it and unlock it again?

And to add to the confusion - and please correct me if I am wrong- the current jailbreak and activation for the iphone is extremely complicated AND needs an Intel MAC - which considering I am using a windows PC is a bit problem.

Just so you all know I e-mail a few of the IPSF resellers as well as IPSF direct to ask these same questions and IPSF have not replied yet (its been 2 days!) and the resellers seem to have no idea what the answer is - they have just sent me confusing replies which didn't answer my questions!

We could really do with some help here!

If you run IPSF on your unlocked phone it will not work since your iphone it's already unlocked, you need to lock it again and then reunlock with IPSF.

I guess you have to remove your actual sim card during the unlock process of IPSF, if not you can get imei errors. just remove for the unlock.

At least the resellers replied you! I bought a license from freeouriphones on friday and they haven't send me any registration email and do not even reply to my emails

PDE
Oct 14, 2007, 07:37 AM
If you run IPSF on your unlocked phone it will not work since your iphone it's already unlocked, you need to lock it again and then reunlock with IPSF.

I guess you have to remove your actual sim card during the unlock process of IPSF, if not you can get imei errors. just remove for the unlock.

At least the resellers replied you! I bought a license from freeouriphones on friday and they haven't send me any registration email and do not even reply to my emails

The questions I have are:

1. Is it enough to just relock the phone by restoring in itunes?

2. When we use IPFS, do we need to deal with the corruption caused by iunlock/anysim, or can we just restore in itunes, run IPSF, then upgrade to 1.1.1? Will that fix everything? Will it even work?

3. Has ANYBODY used IPSF with an unlocked (iunlock/anysim) 1.02 phone? If so, pleeeeaase post your experience and how you did it!

Thanks

aclark7
Oct 14, 2007, 12:53 PM
Hi, hoping someone/ anyone can shed any light on a couple of points for me ....

I am currently waiting for an Iphone to be delivered to me in the UK - A friend is posting from the US. I am currently on Orange contract and want to know if once unlocked ~I will be able to access the web, utube etc using my orange sim, will It require settings etc,,, if so are they readily avaliable?

Any help will be much appreciated!

Cheers

punterab
Oct 14, 2007, 02:02 PM
Hi , I have the same situation as user " PDE " explained in his post.
I never have tried to upgrade to 1.1 and originally used " iunlock"
to sim unlock the phone.

What I am wondering is........ Is there any way ( using IPSF ?) that I can have a sim unlocked phone and be using 1.1 ?

I hope the baseband is not permanently screwed up.

Thanks.

(oh ya this is my first post, apologies if I did something wrong!)

mrbrown
Oct 14, 2007, 05:35 PM

Anybody?

The theory in the iPhone Dev Team forums is this: AnySIM (the free solution) generates an invalid "unlock token" that inadvertently sets the phone into a "unlocked but re-lockable" mode. This invalid token gets permanently embedded into the baseband, and when the baseband gets updated, it doesn't accept the token, and sets the phone into a diagnostic mode (which generates the bad IEMI number).

IPSF, on the other hand, apparently generates a valid unlock token that sets the phone into a "unlocked, NOT re-lockable". The theory is that the folks who develop IPSF either a) Know a lot about the baseband (Infineon S-Gold 2) that Apple is using in the iPhone or b) They have trade secret information from inside Apple.

I'm willing to bet it's the 1st one, as Apple would've shut 'em down already if it involved trade secrets.

PDE
Oct 14, 2007, 05:39 PM
The theory in the iPhone Dev Team forums is this: AnySIM (the free solution) generates an invalid "unlock token" that inadvertently sets the phone into a "unlocked but re-lockable" mode. This invalid token gets permanently embedded into the baseband, and when the baseband gets updated, it doesn't accept the token, and sets the phone into a diagnostic mode (which generates the bad IEMI number).

IPSF, on the other hand, apparently generates a valid unlock token that sets the phone into a "unlocked, NOT re-lockable". The theory is that the folks who develop IPSF either a) Know a lot about the baseband (Infineon S-Gold 2) that Apple is using in the iPhone or b) They have trade secret information from inside Apple.

I'm willing to bet it's the 1st one, as Apple would've shut 'em down already if it involved trade secrets.

Thank you. That was very helpful and appreciated.

punterab
Oct 14, 2007, 06:08 PM

So if I used a " Free sim unlock" earlier , is my baseband permanently damaged? or can I " brick " the phone with Itunes update and use Ipsf to " fix " the baseband???? and then run 1.1 sim unlocked????

mrbrown
Oct 14, 2007, 06:17 PM
So if I used a " Free sim unlock" earlier , is my baseband permanently damaged? or can I " brick " the phone with Itunes update and use Ipsf to " fix " the baseband???? and then run 1.1 sim unlocked????

You can "fix" your baseband by using IPSF if you previously used AnySIM and you're currently running 1.0.2 - you will need to update your baseband using the original files (which will give you the bad IMEI) before running IPSF. I would not recommend bricking your phone by upgrading to 1.1.1 and then running IPSF, because the jailbreak method for 1.1.1 is complex.

However, I would hold off, because the Dev Team is very close to releasing a new version of AnySIM that can unlock the new baseband version (a beta was leaked today, however, it can apparently cause major damage to the phone).

Personally, I got fed up and paid the $60 to get the supposedly "upgrade-proof" solution found in IPSF.

sananda
Oct 14, 2007, 06:22 PM
You can "fix" your baseband by using IPSF if you previously used AnySIM and you're currently running 1.0.2 - you will need to update your baseband using the original files (which will give you the bad IMEI) before running IPSF. I would not recommend bricking your phone by upgrading to 1.1.1 and then running IPSF, because the jailbreak method for 1.1.1 is complex.

However, I would hold off, because the Dev Team is very close to releasing a new version of AnySIM that can unlock the new baseband version (a beta was leaked today, however, it can apparently cause major damage to the phone).

Personally, I got fed up and paid the $60 to get the supposedly "upgrade-proof" solution found in IPSF.

is the new version of anySIM likely to better the previous ones ? or is it better to use IPSF?

punterab
Oct 14, 2007, 06:24 PM

Thanks for the info, glad to hear that my baseband is not damaged forever.

I did however use " Iunlock " is that the same as " Anysim"?

I actually did buy the 60 dollar Ipsf. but I got impatient waiting for it, and used " Iunlock" I still have Ipsf, and I would like to use it.

Do you think I should just " brick" the phone and then use " Ipsf" ?

punterab
Oct 14, 2007, 06:35 PM
Thanks for the info, glad to hear that my baseband is not damaged forever.

I did however use " Iunlock " is that the same as " Anysim"?

I actually did buy the 60 dollar Ipsf. but I got impatient waiting for it, and used " Iunlock" I still have Ipsf, and I would like to use it.

Do you think I should just " brick" the phone and then use " Ipsf" ?

I didn't fully read your post before I responded. I guess " bricking" would be alot of work and steps to get it back. What is the best way to " restore the baseband" ????

Thanks

PDE
Oct 14, 2007, 06:39 PM
Thanks for all the details. I'm going to go ahead with the iphonesimfree simply because I don't like how the iphone dev team has dealt with the question of the damage that was caused to the baseband. They promised a fix so that people could repair it, but that never happened. It seems IPSF is the safest and least damaging way to go. At least for now.

sananda
Oct 14, 2007, 06:41 PM
Thanks for all the details. I'm going to go ahead with the iphonesimfree simply because I don't like how the iphone dev team has dealt with the question of the damage that was caused to the baseband. They promised a fix so that people could repair it, but that never happened. It seems IPSF is the safest and least damaging way to go. At least for now.

let us know how you get on.

Eric Lewis
Oct 14, 2007, 06:54 PM
when will a GUI be released

stadidas
Oct 14, 2007, 07:27 PM
PDE: As I understand it, you used iUnlock / AnySIM to unlock your phone, and you now have IPSF and want to use that for 1.1.1. Could you confirm this? I am in the same situation and am not entirely sure of the process of using IPSF with 1.1.1. Will restoring the phone to 1.0.2 in iTunes (which I think I can do as I haven't downloaded 1.1.1) fix the baseband?

beeeen
Oct 14, 2007, 07:47 PM
I'm on AT&T, so I really have no need to unlock the iPhone except for the use of 3rd party apps. I don't have it yet, I'll probably have one by the end of this year sometime. I'm a little nervous to unlock it because of what I've been hearing about bricking and all that. I've also been hearing that if I unlock it, and I don't like it, I can restore it to how it was before? Is this true? I'm just not sure if I want to risk my $400 investment.

PDE
Oct 14, 2007, 08:16 PM
PDE: As I understand it, you used iUnlock / AnySIM to unlock your phone, and you now have IPSF and want to use that for 1.1.1. Could you confirm this? I am in the same situation and am not entirely sure of the process of using IPSF with 1.1.1. Will restoring the phone to 1.0.2 in iTunes (which I think I can do as I haven't downloaded 1.1.1) fix the baseband?

As I understand it, using the guide below will restore the baseband to its original state, from which you can then unlock using IPSF. I think that after the unlock, you still need to jailbreak and activate it though, which is a lot of work apparently. Restoring the phone in itunes does not fix the baseband so you need to reflash the baseband as outlined if you follow the link.

I'm not in any way knowledgeable about all this, so please don't follow my advice without confirming with others.

http://andreas.louca.org/2007/09/30/iphone-unlock-frenzy/

mrbrown
Oct 14, 2007, 08:31 PM
As I understand it, using the guide below will restore the baseband to its original state, from which you can then unlock using IPSF. I think that after the unlock, you still need to jailbreak and activate it though, which is a lot of work apparently. Restoring the phone in itunes does not fix the baseband so you need to reflash the baseband as outlined if you follow the link.

I'm not in any way knowledgeable about all this, so please don't follow my advice without confirming with others.

http://andreas.louca.org/2007/09/30/iphone-unlock-frenzy/

It should be noted that reflashing the baseband will NOT un-brick a phone upgraded to 1.1.1. The only way to do this (as of now) is to downgrade to 1.1.1 and run IPSF. I don't even think a full erase of the baseband (with iEraser) and re-flashing will un-brick a bricked phone.

beeeen
Oct 14, 2007, 11:53 PM
I'm on AT&T, so I really have no need to unlock the iPhone except for the use of 3rd party apps. I don't have it yet, I'll probably have one by the end of this year sometime. I'm a little nervous to unlock it because of what I've been hearing about bricking and all that. I've also been hearing that if I unlock it, and I don't like it, I can restore it to how it was before? Is this true? I'm just not sure if I want to risk my $400 investment.

Bump.

Someone else me out?

murdock1234
Oct 15, 2007, 02:31 PM

I bought a license from freeouriphones on saturday, but no response until today. Did you receive anything from them?

tiaandreyer
Oct 15, 2007, 04:27 PM
Hi, I just got my new iphone and i want to unlock it to be able to use it on T-mobile. I was lucky enough to get a phone with the 1.0.2 firmware. I'm not very computer savvy, so I wanted to use the easiest way possible to get it done. I was thinking of just getting the IPSF for $60 and get it done. But I read on their website that you have to have an activated phone to be able to run their software. As far as I understand activating means paying the $36 fee and signing up for a 2 year ATT contract. Is this correct? Or can I just run the IPSF software on a brand new iphone and then insert my T-Mobile sim card? Anyone out there that has done this before? Please help!

stadidas
Oct 15, 2007, 06:07 PM
It should be noted that reflashing the baseband will NOT un-brick a phone upgraded to 1.1.1. The only way to do this (as of now) is to downgrade to 1.1.1 and run IPSF. I don't even think a full erase of the baseband (with iEraser) and re-flashing will un-brick a bricked phone.

I take it you meant downgrade to 1.0.2, not 1.1.1? At the moment I am on 1.0.2 and I used the free unlock. I have SimFree installed, if I run this will it fix the baseband?
Also, as I understand from the iPhoneSIMFreeSite, once I upgrade to 1.1.1, if I run SIMFree again, the phone will be fully unlocked running 1.1.1 and the new baseband. Is this the case?

PDE
Oct 15, 2007, 07:21 PM
So I upgraded from my iunlocked iphone 1.02 to 1.1.1 with iphonesimfree. Basically did this:

1. followed these instructions to flash the baseband and unlock with iphonesimfree software: http://andreas.louca.org/2007/09/30/iphone-unlock-frenzy/

2. Just to make sure, restored software/firmware in itunes to 1.02 firmware

3. Used the latest independence to activate and jailbreak 1.02 and install SSH

4. Prepared for 1.1.1 upgrade in Independence under the firmware tab

5. Upgraded through itunes to 1.1.1

6. Used Independence to activate, jailbreak and install SSH

7. Completed by using the post-upgrade button in Independence firmware tab.

That's it! A few times Independence didn't want to go into recovery mode, but I just restarted the software and it was fine.

Running 1.1.1 perfectly. Very smooth.

stadidas
Oct 16, 2007, 12:58 AM
That's great news PDE. Just a quick question:

How did you do this? I haven't downloaded 1.1.1 yet through iTunes, and when I hit restore it only gives me the option to "Restore and Update", and it mentions using the newest firmware. Will that just use the newest firmware on my computer (1.0.2), or will it go and download 1.1.1? Once I know this I can upgrade my phone.

PDE
Oct 16, 2007, 05:59 AM
That's great news PDE. Just a quick question:

How did you do this? I haven't downloaded 1.1.1 yet through iTunes, and when I hit restore it only gives me the option to "Restore and Update", and it mentions using the newest firmware. Will that just use the newest firmware on my computer (1.0.2), or will it go and download 1.1.1? Once I know this I can upgrade my phone.

Use the restore button, not the update button. You need to download the 1.02 firmware online (just search) and then hold down the option key as you press restore. You will then be prompted to choose the files you want to restore from and you should choose the 1.02 file you downloaded. I'm not even sure this whole step was necessary (probably not), but I wanted a clean system...

Let us know!

69reichertm
Oct 16, 2007, 09:49 AM
@PDE

Hello ! Thank you for the INFO. Which provider di you use ?

Did you do the unlock with an AT&T Sim ?

Do you need for any step an AT&T SIM ?

I only have a germany T-Mobile Sim.

LCaller
Oct 16, 2007, 09:57 AM
OK thought i'd finally pitch in with where we are at trying to unlock new 1.1.1 phones.

So far all the new phones we have that came with 1.1.1 so we downgraded to 1.0.2 and then jailbroke and activated using iNdependence 1.2.3

This allowed us to put our own apps back on the phone etc etc and the phone works as an unlocked iPhone would do except no telephony.

So installed IPSF1.6 and all went well. We got our activation code launched iPhoneSimFree, set the phone to AutoLock NEVER , plugged into the Mac and away we went ( hitting the red apple )...

Stopping CommCenter
Checking Unlock Status
Checking Licence Details
Unlocking
Cleaning Up
Unlock Successful

On reboot the phone said the sim was invalid and didn't work.

As quick read of the screen and it said it needed activating so open up iNdependence reactivated the phone and I'm making calls.

Now i know some of you don't want to pay the guys , but if you want to unlock the phone now it's the way forward.

Support from the reseller was spot on, so much so I'm going to buy another 19 unlocks and do it with confidence.

So to recap

YES it works
YES its more time consuming
YES you can buy some phones from me in the UK ;-)

Feel free to mail me with your questions about the process etc etc .

PDE
Oct 16, 2007, 09:59 AM
@PDE

Hello ! Thank you for the INFO. Which provider di you use ?

Did you do the unlock with an AT&T Sim ?

Do you need for any step an AT&T SIM ?

I only have a germany T-Mobile Sim.

I used an old ATT sim (many years old and not one supported by the ATT for the iphone), but you can use your German T-mobile sim too.

OK thought i'd finally pitch in with where we are at trying to unlock new 1.1.1 phones.

So far all the new phones we have that came with 1.1.1 so we downgraded to 1.0.2 and then jailbroke and activated using iNdependence 1.2.3

This allowed us to put our own apps back on the phone etc etc and the phone works as an unlocked iPhone would do except no telephony.

So installed IPSF1.6 and all went well. We got our activation code launched iPhoneSimFree, set the phone to AutoLock NEVER , plugged into the Mac and away we went ( hitting the red apple )...

Stopping CommCenter
Checking Unlock Status
Checking Licence Details
Unlocking
Cleaning Up
Unlock Successful

As quick read of the screen and it said it needed activating so open up iNdependence reactivated the phone and I'm making calls.

Now i know some of you don't want to pay the guys , but if you want to unlock the phone now it's the way forward.

Support from the reseller was spot on, so much so I'm going to buy another 19 unlocks and do it with confidence.

So to recap

YES it works

I totally agree. This seems to be the way to go, even if it costs $60 to do it. The unlocking part was wonderfully painless and required no input, just the press of the icon. Independence works great too, even if it's slightly more complicated than the previous one - not a big deal.

daneoni
Oct 16, 2007, 06:22 PM
Isn't it possible/easier to update to 1.1.1 and then use iNdependence (http://code.google.com/p/independence/) to activate and jailbreak at 1.1.1 and then just SSH the SimFree app onto the phone and run it at 1.1.1? instead of downgrading first and re-upgrading?

PDE
Oct 16, 2007, 06:35 PM
Isn't it possible/easier to update to 1.1.1 and then use iNdependence (http://code.google.com/p/independence/) to activate and jailbreak at 1.1.1 and then just SSH the SimFree app onto the phone and run it at 1.1.1? instead of downgrading first and re-upgrading?

I don't think this is possible yet. Independence requires that you run a pre-upgrade script in 1.02, then upgrade, followed by running a post-upgrade script afterwards. At least that's how I understand the situation.

daneoni
Oct 16, 2007, 06:51 PM
I don't think this is possible yet. Independence requires that you run a pre-upgrade script in 1.02, then upgrade, followed by running a post-upgrade script afterwards. At least that's how I understand the situation.

Fair enough and after all of that is done and you have a working non unlocked phone using iNdependence can't you just SSH the app over and run it at 1.1.1 since SSH/Jailbreak has been performed using the pre script and post script. The app itself SimFree app is 1.1.1 compatible right or does it have to be run at 1.0.2 first?

EDIT: Nevermind, it does work.

*Coming from an anysim/iunlocked 1.0.2 phone*

I used iNdependence to do the pre/post 1.1.1 upgrade activation/jailbreak and then SSHed the SimFree app onto the phone and ran it natively at 1.1.1 and it worked. running 1.1.1 unlocked.

stadidas
Oct 17, 2007, 02:24 PM
I just followed PDE's instructions and it worked perfectly. I know have a fully unlocked 1.1.1 iPhone and I'm very pleased with it!

killthepig
Oct 17, 2007, 05:26 PM
I just followed PDE's instructions and it worked perfectly. I know have a fully unlocked 1.1.1 iPhone and I'm very pleased with it!

My friends, i need some help here, after suffering for 6 hours to downgrade the phone and unlocked with IPSF1.6.
All seemed to be fine, I used independence to activate/jailbreak, ran IPSF fine and go unlocking successful. Was expecting that phone would work right away with my t-mobile sim but said sim is invalid and that it needs activations. I restarted that phone and it is still not working (itunes opens with message saying this is not a At&t sim card, blah, blah).
What do I do exactly to activate it so that my t-mobile will work ? I'm very afraid of messing up the progress, after such long hours.
Thank you very much for the help.

killthepig
Oct 17, 2007, 05:28 PM

Stopping CommCenter
Checking Unlock Status
Checking Licence Details
Unlocking
Cleaning Up
Unlock Successful

So to recap

YES it works

Can you please help me with activating after a successful unlock (see post above pls). Tks !

PDE
Oct 17, 2007, 09:40 PM
Can you please help me with activating after a successful unlock (see post above pls). Tks !

If you now have firmware 1.02:

- Download independence 1.2.2
2. Connect your iphone to your computer

3.Open Independence and click activate
4. When activation successful, click jailbreak

that should do it.

brown
Oct 18, 2007, 01:24 AM
I used iNdependence to do the pre/post 1.1.1 upgrade activation/jailbreak and then SSHed the SimFree app onto the phone and ran it natively at 1.1.1 and it worked. running 1.1.1 unlocked.

Hello. That means, I can unlock my out of box 1.1.1 iPhone by using iNdependence to activate, jailbreak. Then load the SimFree app on the phone WITHOUT any downgrade? And simply unlock the phone at 1.1.1? Thanks a lot.:)

denkaye
Oct 18, 2007, 09:10 AM
I have purchased simfree from" free our iphones "and followed the instructions on their web site for a mac to restore my 1.02 phone. Everything has gone fine as I have it activated and jailbroken now and ready to install the simfree app on my phone. But whenever I do this using my wifi settings I get an error about a setting and would I like ssh to fix it. I have tried several ways to install this app without success. When I use indepenence and try to install in applications an icon goes under users and not applications. I have gotten the simfree icon on my phone but when I try to use it I get a black screen for about 20 secs and then it goes back to desktop. I am stuck at this point and really need some help!

Thank you in advance,

denkaye

daneoni
Oct 18, 2007, 11:29 AM
Hello. That means, I can unlock my out of box 1.1.1 iPhone by using iNdependence to activate, jailbreak. Then load the SimFree app on the phone WITHOUT any downgrade? And simply unlock the phone at 1.1.1? Thanks a lot.:)

Not quite. You still have to downgrade so as to allow iNdependence run its pre 1.1.1 activation/jailbreak script. When its run the script, it then tells you to upgrade and then it runs the post 1.1.1 script.

In other words you still have to downgrade to allow it run the script BUT you don't have to run the SimFree app at 1.0.2 you can run it at 1.1.1 natively. The problem is not with the SimFree app but rather the way iNdependence does its thing

daneoni
Oct 18, 2007, 11:31 AM
I have purchased simfree from" free our iphones "and followed the instructions on their web site for a mac to restore my 1.02 phone. Everything has gone fine as I have it activated and jailbroken now and ready to install the simfree app on my phone. But whenever I do this using my wifi settings I get an error about a setting and would I like ssh to fix it. I have tried several ways to install this app without success. When I use indepenence and try to install in applications an icon goes under users and not applications. I have gotten the simfree icon on my phone but when I try to use it I get a black screen for about 20 secs and then it goes back to desktop. I am stuck at this point and really need some help!

Thank you in advance,

denkaye

Try restoring your phone again to 1.0.2 cos it seems to be crashing and then try the whole thing again

brown
Oct 18, 2007, 11:41 AM
Not quite. You still have to downgrade so as to allow iNdependence run its pre 1.1.1 activation/jailbreak script. When its run the script, it then tells you to upgrade and then you it runs the post 1.1.1 script.

In other words you still have to downgrade to allow it run the script BUT you don't have to run the SimFree app at 1.0.2 you can run it at 1.1.1 natively. The problem is not with the SimFree app but rather the way iNdependence does its thing

Thanks. That means all I have to do is activate/ jailbreak the 1.1.1 using iNdependence (the proccess is from 1.1.1 to 1.0.2 to 1.1.1), just like these http://www.hacktheiphone.com/111/iphone_step1_mac.html

Then load the SimFree app to the already jailbroken/ activated 1.1.1 iPhone and simply press that RED APPLE. Right? Thanks a lot. I felt much more confidence about doing this now.;)

daneoni
Oct 18, 2007, 12:20 PM
Yup

cnicklo
Oct 18, 2007, 08:55 PM
I had the same issue as you did.

Instead, I used Cyberduck to place the simfree app in the applications folder, and it then worked fine.

Hope it does for you, too.

Thank you in advance,

denkaye

djpiper73
Oct 19, 2007, 10:55 AM
hi GUys, i need some help with this issue, i've been sucessfully unlocked iphone 1.1.1 out of the box with iphonesimfree tool, they work perfectly, i mean everything but, downgraded to 1.0.2.

is there any way i can upgrade again to 1.1.1 and keep the third party applications running but with the new features of the 1.1.1?

also this if for the tech team, would b nice to be able to use the iphone as a pin drive to save important data, is this possible?

thanks guys, and for those who need help with the unlocking and have iphonesimfree my procedures are very simple, not like al others complicated stuff.....

seee yaaaaaaaaaaaaaa:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

denkaye
Oct 19, 2007, 12:02 PM
Thanks to everybody for your help. I found the problem with the process to be two fold on a number of steps. First when a step does not work close program unhook phone and start that part over. Next the ssh file problem I was having was related to a password on my wireless network. I had to use wep encript with a number password and everything worked fine on that part.(Before I was using a higher encription code)
I belive I could do this now in my sleep as I repeated it over 12 times changing things before I found my small problems which held up the process.
If someone gets through the program and goes to last part for activation and it says you have to down grade to 1.02 for activation, then the pre 1.1.1 software did not load correctly. This happened to me twice. Some people said this part will error and then say ok will be all right. Mine did this and it was not all right. If the pre 1.1.1 doesn't quickly process and you get an erro followed by ok do not go any further until you receive no error.

Thanks again,

I am now running 1.1.1 unlocked and updated through itunes and now adding third party software!

denkaye

greggo
Oct 19, 2007, 12:34 PM
When using iNdependence, why is it required to have a good wifi connection?

I downgraded to 1.0.2 (new 1.1.1 iphone) and used independence to activate and jailbreak. However, when it comes time to run the pre-upgrade script and iNdependence asks for my IP address, I'm stuck. My phone will not connect to any wireless router. I have tried connecting in various unsecured wireless locations (home, work)... the iphone sees the wireless routers and allows me to connect to them (the check mark beside the network name), but when you press the blue arrow to see your iphone IP address, it is empty.

I've tried some of the solutions posted... rebooting the router, turning the iphone off and on, ignore network, etc... Nothing has worked.

Has anyone else had this problem?

wingman1203
Oct 21, 2007, 04:10 AM

I downgraded to 1.0.2 (new 1.1.1 iphone) and used independence to activate and jailbreak. However, when it comes time to run the pre-upgrade script and iNdependence asks for my IP address, I'm stuck. My phone will not connect to any wireless router. I have tried connecting in various unsecured wireless locations (home, work)... the iphone sees the wireless routers and allows me to connect to them (the check mark beside the network name), but when you press the blue arrow to see your iphone IP address, it is empty.

I've tried some of the solutions posted... rebooting the router, turning the iphone off and on, ignore network, etc... Nothing has worked.

i will be honest as most of the talk is confusing for me, i have a new i-phone arriving this wk from the usa, yes i want to use it unlocked, i have an 02 sim already, i am happy to use the sim but do not want to be tied to an 18 month contract, can i still use my old sim or do i still have to sign to the 18 month contract, or last option go for total unlockany help you guys can give would be great, sorry if the reply has nothing to do with the question. cheers

quigleybc
Oct 21, 2007, 12:14 PM
anyone else think this thread is full of a lot of questions and hardly any answers.....?

jonny
Oct 21, 2007, 09:33 PM
So I upgraded from my iunlocked iphone 1.02 to 1.1.1 with iphonesimfree. Basically did this:

1. followed these instructions to flash the baseband and unlock with iphonesimfree software: http://andreas.louca.org/2007/09/30/iphone-unlock-frenzy/

3. Used the latest independence to activate and jailbreak 1.02 and install SSH

4. Prepared for 1.1.1 upgrade in Independence under the firmware tab

5. Upgraded through itunes to 1.1.1

6. Used Independence to activate, jailbreak and install SSH

7. Completed by using the post-upgrade button in Independence firmware tab.

That's it! A few times Independence didn't want to go into recovery mode, but I just restarted the software and it was fine.

Running 1.1.1 perfectly. Very smooth.

I was able to get my baseband back to factory, unlock with ipsf and update my phone as well. A couple of hiccups along the way. An accidental update, downgrade... I've been everywhere today. But I succeeded... Finally.

I was also able to get installer on it. Seems to work great.

koobcamuk
Oct 22, 2007, 06:46 AM
worked for me. did it a week ago. :)

paddykev
Oct 22, 2007, 07:08 AM
I've actually used the IPSF option to get my unlocked 1.02 iphone upgraded to 1.1.1 without any problems. Orginally i had unlocked the iphone with anySIM and supposedly this caused some damage to the nvram or something, but the IPSF helps repair this 'damage'. At the moment everything is working fine and no problems what so ever. IPSF worked for me, but there is a free option now so i'd recommended the free option :P

DJS1234
Oct 22, 2007, 07:24 AM
I've upgrade mine last night - Was a tense 15 mins or so!

It was so simple using IPSF and iNdependence - here's a step-by-step and how long it took for anyone in the same situation thinking how hard it is etc.

To begin with I had a 1.0.2 iphonesimfree unlocked iphone.

1) I update the IPSF application to v1.6 (1 min)
2) I ran the v1.6 application which told me my phone was already unlocked (Unnecessary step but what the hell eh) (1 min)
3) Next connect to the latest version of iNdependence and install SSH (2 mins)
4) Run the pre 1.1.1 upgrade in iNdependence which then opens iTunes (1 min)
5) Install the 1.1.1 update in iTunes as normal (The nervous bit!) (10-15 mins) iPhone reboots to the activation screen - use iNdependence to activate and jailbreak it (2 mins)

Viola! one fully jailbroken, unlocked iPhone 1.1.1 on Vodafone UK in 20 mins or so with no Terminal just a few clicks and a lot of shaken nerves!

Dan

poobaa7
Oct 22, 2007, 09:34 PM
Hi everyone, quick question.

i recently bought an iphone with current firmare 1.1.1, downgraded it from head to toe, activated and jail broke it, the whole shabang and its working grt. i did this thru itunes 7.4.2, independence day and anysim. tho im not to sure what version of anysim i used( any ideas as to how im able to work out what version ive used). my imei # on the back of the fone is the same as in the about section of the iphone. given this, is it safe to assume that i can upgrade back to 1.1.1 with total confidence using independence day 1.2.4 pre 1.1.1 upgrade.

cheers

daneoni
Oct 23, 2007, 12:14 AM
is there any way i can upgrade again to 1.1.1 and keep the third party applications running but with the new features of the 1.1.1?

Only if the said 3rd party apps are 1.1.1 compatible (http://modmyiphone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9421) and you might have to manually install the installer app itself by first extracting it from the DMG and then SSH it onto the phone or install the individual apps by again SSH them onto the phone

also this if for the tech team, would b nice to be able to use the iphone as a pin drive to save important data, is this possible?

Not sure but this (http://www.ecamm.com/mac/iphonedrive/) seems to be somewhat close to that feature

Because SSH is required to access the entire filesystem.

Are you using a weird encryption? try turning off encryption (leave your wi-fi unsecure temporarily) from the router as well as enabling DHCP and reboot and retry. If not go to a local starbucks and use their Wi-Fi or any free hotspot (Apple Stores?)

i will be honest as most of the talk is confusing for me, i have a new i-phone arriving this wk from the usa, yes i want to use it unlocked, i have an 02 sim already, i am happy to use the sim but do not want to be tied to an 18 month contract, can i still use my old sim or do i still have to sign to the 18 month contract, or last option go for total unlockany help you guys can give would be great, sorry if the reply has nothing to do with the question. cheers

You'll have to activate/unlock the phone to use ANY OTHER SIM (that also means includes you not signing up for the lengthy contract) than that which shipped with it using the various free tools (iNdependence/iBrickr/iPhoneSimFree/anySIM etc.). To use the SIM which came with it....you HAVE TO sign up to the lenghty contract via iTunes

Hi everyone, quick question.

i recently bought an iphone with current firmare 1.1.1, downgraded it from head to toe, activated and jail broke it, the whole shabang and its working grt. i did this thru itunes 7.4.2, independence day and anysim. tho im not to sure what version of anysim i used( any ideas as to how im able to work out what version ive used). my imei # on the back of the fone is the same as in the about section of the iphone. given this, is it safe to assume that i can upgrade back to 1.1.1 with total confidence using independence day 1.2.4 pre 1.1.1 upgrade.

cheers

Depends, if you used anySIM 1.0.2 then No. If you used the latest anySIM 1.1 (most likely since it's your first recent unlock) then Yes. To check the version just launch the app itself....it should say what version it is at the bottom left as shown here (http://www.winandmac.com/news/anysim-11-for-iphone-111-leaked/)

poobaa7
Oct 23, 2007, 05:04 AM
Only if the said 3rd party apps are 1.1.1 compatible (http://modmyiphone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9421) and you might have to manually install the installer app itself by first extracting it from the DMG and then SSH it onto the phone or install the individual apps by again SSH them onto the phone

Not sure but this (http://www.ecamm.com/mac/iphonedrive/) seems to be somewhat close to that feature

Because SSH is required to access the entire filesystem.

Are you using a weird encryption? try turning off encryption (leave your wi-fi unsecure temporarily) from the router as well as enabling DHCP and reboot and retry. If not go to a local starbucks and use their Wi-Fi or any free hotspot (Apple Stores?)

You'll have to activate/unlock the phone to use ANY OTHER SIM (that also means includes you not signing up for the lengthy contract) than that which shipped with it using the various free tools (iNdependence/iBrickr/iPhoneSimFree/anySIM etc.). To use the SIM which came with it....you HAVE TO sign up to the lenghty contract via iTunes

Depends, if you used anySIM 1.0.2 then No. If you used the latest anySIM 1.1 (most likely since it's your first recent unlock) then Yes. To check the version just launch the app itself....it should say what version it is at the bottom left as shown here (http://www.winandmac.com/news/anysim-11-for-iphone-111-leaked/)

hi mate , thanks for the reply. thats my issue, im not sure how but i dont seem to have the anysim app on my fone anymore. dont ask how, i have no idea. i guess this means limbo?

daneoni
Oct 23, 2007, 05:48 AM
hi mate , thanks for the reply. thats my issue, im not sure how but i dont seem to have the anysim app on my fone anymore. dont ask how, i have no idea. i guess this means limbo?

The only other option maybe to do the 'brick' experiment. You upgrade to 1.1.1 and if you get a brick (lockdown incorrect imei) you know you used version 1.0.2 and will need iPhoneSimFree app to re-unlock but if your phone remains unlocked then you used version 1.1

lomax2004
Nov 6, 2007, 10:39 PM
My phone was on version 1.1.1 out of the box and activaged with iTunes with ATT. I paid 60 USD for iphoneSimFree downloaded thru AppTap on my jailbroken iphone verison 1.1.1. I unlocked using IPSF and it was sucessfully unlcoked but it only works on AT&T. When I reboot my phone with the T-mobile Sim it say that" Activate Phone Connect to iTunes" on the top and in the middle of the screen it says" Different Sims Detected Please connect to iTunes". If I put my att sim again it says phone activated and if I replaces the sims with T-mobile it says diferent sims and the signa is at zero, if I go to setting carriers, I can see the network selection on Automatic and under it T-mobile and ATT but it does not let me select any of it. Now every one talks about how there phone is unlocked. Why is mine not working, I tried downgrading, restoring and upgrading back to 1.1.1 and re running iphonesimfree but it says that it is already unlock.

Can any one know the solution or am I the only one out here with this problem. Thanks in advance.

drkrueger
Nov 10, 2007, 09:28 PM
My phone was on version 1.1.1 out of the box and activaged with iTunes with ATT. I paid 60 USD for iphoneSimFree downloaded thru AppTap on my jailbroken iphone verison 1.1.1. I unlocked using IPSF and it was sucessfully unlcoked but it only works on AT&T. When I reboot my phone with the T-mobile Sim it say that" Activate Phone Connect to iTunes" on the top and in the middle of the screen it says" Different Sims Detected Please connect to iTunes". If I put my att sim again it says phone activated and if I replaces the sims with T-mobile it says diferent sims and the signa is at zero, if I go to setting carriers, I can see the network selection on Automatic and under it T-mobile and ATT but it does not let me select any of it. Now every one talks about how there phone is unlocked. Why is mine not working, I tried downgrading, restoring and upgrading back to 1.1.1 and re running iphonesimfree but it says that it is already unlock.

Can any one know the solution or am I the only one out here with this problem. Thanks in advance.

You're not alone. I ported AT&T to T-Mobile and did everything you did and have same trouble. I think 2 issues. 1) Unlocking, which we completed, 2) activation which seems to be a problem of paring iPhone to T-Mobile SIM. I've installed iNdependence but requires downgrade to 1.0.2 which I can't see why needed. Any can point direction, most appreciated.

daneoni
Nov 11, 2007, 02:56 AM
What you guys need to do is use iNdependence to do your activations AND make sure you dont have a sim card in your phone when carrying out an unlock.

drkrueger
Nov 12, 2007, 08:51 AM
lomax2004, have you tried it? I've downloaded iNdependence 1.3 beta and looking over the directions, thought I wait for you to do it first ;)

drkrueger
Nov 13, 2007, 12:53 PM
It just won't activate saying the T-Mobile SIM is "Different SIM Detected" and goes no where from there. With the AT&T SIM it works perfectly on WIFI but get message saying "Waiting for activaction. This could take a while".

Bye Bye Baby
Nov 20, 2007, 08:34 AM
I think you can thank the corporate attitudes of American cell phone companies for screwing this up for Apple. I hope they had better judgement than this and were forced in to this no-win situtation by ATT. Because its making them look like real asses.

Why on earth would you think that corporate greed is limited to phone companies?

If anyone is greedy it is Apple- demanding revenues from cell companies.

But hey, Apple is always the good guy. And we wonder why Apple fans have such a reputation for fanaticism.