Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

poobaa7

macrumors newbie
Oct 22, 2007
1.0.2 back to 1.1.1

Hi everyone, quick question.

i recently bought an iphone with current firmare 1.1.1, downgraded it from head to toe, activated and jail broke it, the whole shabang and its working grt. i did this thru itunes 7.4.2, independence day and anysim. tho im not to sure what version of anysim i used( any ideas as to how im able to work out what version ive used). my imei # on the back of the fone is the same as in the about section of the iphone. given this, is it safe to assume that i can upgrade back to 1.1.1 with total confidence using independence day 1.2.4 pre 1.1.1 upgrade.

cheers

daneoni

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2006
is there any way i can upgrade again to 1.1.1 and keep the third party applications running but with the new features of the 1.1.1?

Only if the said 3rd party apps are 1.1.1 compatible and you might have to manually install the installer app itself by first extracting it from the DMG and then SSH it onto the phone or install the individual apps by again SSH them onto the phone

also this if for the tech team, would b nice to be able to use the iphone as a pin drive to save important data, is this possible?

Not sure but this seems to be somewhat close to that feature

When using iNdependence, why is it required to have a good wifi connection?

I downgraded to 1.0.2 (new 1.1.1 iphone) and used independence to activate and jailbreak. However, when it comes time to run the pre-upgrade script and iNdependence asks for my IP address, I'm stuck. My phone will not connect to any wireless router. I have tried connecting in various unsecured wireless locations (home, work)... the iphone sees the wireless routers and allows me to connect to them (the check mark beside the network name), but when you press the blue arrow to see your iphone IP address, it is empty.

I've tried some of the solutions posted... rebooting the router, turning the iphone off and on, ignore network, etc... Nothing has worked.

Has anyone else had this problem?

Because SSH is required to access the entire filesystem.

Are you using a weird encryption? try turning off encryption (leave your wi-fi unsecure temporarily) from the router as well as enabling DHCP and reboot and retry. If not go to a local starbucks and use their Wi-Fi or any free hotspot (Apple Stores?)

i will be honest as most of the talk is confusing for me, i have a new i-phone arriving this wk from the usa, yes i want to use it unlocked, i have an 02 sim already, i am happy to use the sim but do not want to be tied to an 18 month contract, can i still use my old sim or do i still have to sign to the 18 month contract, or last option go for total unlockany help you guys can give would be great, sorry if the reply has nothing to do with the question. cheers

You'll have to activate/unlock the phone to use ANY OTHER SIM (that also means includes you not signing up for the lengthy contract) than that which shipped with it using the various free tools (iNdependence/iBrickr/iPhoneSimFree/anySIM etc.). To use the SIM which came with it....you HAVE TO sign up to the lenghty contract via iTunes

Hi everyone, quick question.

i recently bought an iphone with current firmare 1.1.1, downgraded it from head to toe, activated and jail broke it, the whole shabang and its working grt. i did this thru itunes 7.4.2, independence day and anysim. tho im not to sure what version of anysim i used( any ideas as to how im able to work out what version ive used). my imei # on the back of the fone is the same as in the about section of the iphone. given this, is it safe to assume that i can upgrade back to 1.1.1 with total confidence using independence day 1.2.4 pre 1.1.1 upgrade.

cheers

Depends, if you used anySIM 1.0.2 then No. If you used the latest anySIM 1.1 (most likely since it's your first recent unlock) then Yes. To check the version just launch the app itself....it should say what version it is at the bottom left as shown here

poobaa7

macrumors newbie
Oct 22, 2007
Only if the said 3rd party apps are 1.1.1 compatible and you might have to manually install the installer app itself by first extracting it from the DMG and then SSH it onto the phone or install the individual apps by again SSH them onto the phone

Not sure but this seems to be somewhat close to that feature

Because SSH is required to access the entire filesystem.

Are you using a weird encryption? try turning off encryption (leave your wi-fi unsecure temporarily) from the router as well as enabling DHCP and reboot and retry. If not go to a local starbucks and use their Wi-Fi or any free hotspot (Apple Stores?)

You'll have to activate/unlock the phone to use ANY OTHER SIM (that also means includes you not signing up for the lengthy contract) than that which shipped with it using the various free tools (iNdependence/iBrickr/iPhoneSimFree/anySIM etc.). To use the SIM which came with it....you HAVE TO sign up to the lenghty contract via iTunes

Depends, if you used anySIM 1.0.2 then No. If you used the latest anySIM 1.1 (most likely since it's your first recent unlock) then Yes. To check the version just launch the app itself....it should say what version it is at the bottom left as shown here

hi mate , thanks for the reply. thats my issue, im not sure how but i dont seem to have the anysim app on my fone anymore. dont ask how, i have no idea. i guess this means limbo?

daneoni

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2006
hi mate , thanks for the reply. thats my issue, im not sure how but i dont seem to have the anysim app on my fone anymore. dont ask how, i have no idea. i guess this means limbo?

The only other option maybe to do the 'brick' experiment. You upgrade to 1.1.1 and if you get a brick (lockdown incorrect imei) you know you used version 1.0.2 and will need iPhoneSimFree app to re-unlock but if your phone remains unlocked then you used version 1.1

lomax2004

macrumors newbie
Nov 6, 2007
Unlocked using IPSF, unable to use T-mobile, only att works

My phone was on version 1.1.1 out of the box and activaged with iTunes with ATT. I paid 60 USD for iphoneSimFree downloaded thru AppTap on my jailbroken iphone verison 1.1.1. I unlocked using IPSF and it was sucessfully unlcoked but it only works on AT&T. When I reboot my phone with the T-mobile Sim it say that" Activate Phone Connect to iTunes" on the top and in the middle of the screen it says" Different Sims Detected Please connect to iTunes". If I put my att sim again it says phone activated and if I replaces the sims with T-mobile it says diferent sims and the signa is at zero, if I go to setting carriers, I can see the network selection on Automatic and under it T-mobile and ATT but it does not let me select any of it. Now every one talks about how there phone is unlocked. Why is mine not working, I tried downgrading, restoring and upgrading back to 1.1.1 and re running iphonesimfree but it says that it is already unlock.

Can any one know the solution or am I the only one out here with this problem. Thanks in advance.

drkrueger

macrumors newbie
Nov 10, 2007
Different Sims Detected

My phone was on version 1.1.1 out of the box and activaged with iTunes with ATT. I paid 60 USD for iphoneSimFree downloaded thru AppTap on my jailbroken iphone verison 1.1.1. I unlocked using IPSF and it was sucessfully unlcoked but it only works on AT&T. When I reboot my phone with the T-mobile Sim it say that" Activate Phone Connect to iTunes" on the top and in the middle of the screen it says" Different Sims Detected Please connect to iTunes". If I put my att sim again it says phone activated and if I replaces the sims with T-mobile it says diferent sims and the signa is at zero, if I go to setting carriers, I can see the network selection on Automatic and under it T-mobile and ATT but it does not let me select any of it. Now every one talks about how there phone is unlocked. Why is mine not working, I tried downgrading, restoring and upgrading back to 1.1.1 and re running iphonesimfree but it says that it is already unlock.

Can any one know the solution or am I the only one out here with this problem. Thanks in advance.

You're not alone. I ported AT&T to T-Mobile and did everything you did and have same trouble. I think 2 issues. 1) Unlocking, which we completed, 2) activation which seems to be a problem of paring iPhone to T-Mobile SIM. I've installed iNdependence but requires downgrade to 1.0.2 which I can't see why needed. Any can point direction, most appreciated.

daneoni

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2006
What you guys need to do is use iNdependence to do your activations AND make sure you dont have a sim card in your phone when carrying out an unlock.

drkrueger

macrumors newbie
Nov 10, 2007
iNdependence to Activate Unlocked iPhone

lomax2004, have you tried it? I've downloaded iNdependence 1.3 beta and looking over the directions, thought I wait for you to do it first ;)

drkrueger

macrumors newbie
Nov 10, 2007
Will iNdependence work with my 1.1.1 phone unlocked with IPSF?

It just won't activate saying the T-Mobile SIM is "Different SIM Detected" and goes no where from there. With the AT&T SIM it works perfectly on WIFI but get message saying "Waiting for activaction. This could take a while".

Bye Bye Baby

macrumors 65816
Sep 15, 2004
i(am in the)cloud
I think you can thank the corporate attitudes of American cell phone companies for screwing this up for Apple. I hope they had better judgement than this and were forced in to this no-win situtation by ATT. Because its making them look like real asses.

Why on earth would you think that corporate greed is limited to phone companies?

If anyone is greedy it is Apple- demanding revenues from cell companies.

But hey, Apple is always the good guy. And we wonder why Apple fans have such a reputation for fanaticism.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.