PDA

View Full Version : New Apple MacBook on Tuesday? GMA X3100?

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

MacRumors
Oct 28, 2007, 10:00 PM
http://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com)

According to sources, the wheels are in motion for Apple to deliver new MacBook updates as early as this Tuesday. While an exact date has been hard to determine, MacBook updates are expected within the next week, with evidence pointing to Tuesday.

This confirms previous rumors (http://www.macrumors.com/2007/10/09/new-macbooks-by-november/) from ThinkSecret that Apple would introduce a new MacBook by "the first half of November". Sadly, few details on the upcoming machines are presently available.

Apple's Leopard update, however, has revealed (http://picasaweb.google.com/lainazurael/GMAX3100In105/photo#5126531676711736162) drivers for the newer Intel GMA X3100 integrated graphics chip. This is the successor to the Intel GMA 950 which currently resides in the existing MacBooks. This would suggest that the next MacBook would see an upgrade to the Santa Rosa chipset. This, however, remains speculative. The driver, however, appears functional and works when used (http://forums.macrumors.com/showpost.php?p=4406214&postcount=40) on a PC laptop with the X3100 chipset.

Article Link (http://www.macrumors.com/2007/10/28/new-apple-macbook-on-tuesday-gma-x3100/)

xUKHCx
Oct 28, 2007, 10:05 PM
really hopes this is true as I will be buying very very soon.

How reliable are these sources?, after all lots of people on here could say they are coming soon without actually knowing anything.

meagain
Oct 28, 2007, 10:07 PM
Oh my!!! :) Is the GMA x3100 acceptable to everyone then? (I really want an aluminum with smaller bezel/footprint)..... please.

Genghis Khan
Oct 28, 2007, 10:09 PM
oooh...this is good news

one of my best mates has been waiting for this...hope the new macbooks are just plain awesome:cool:

addicted44
Oct 28, 2007, 10:09 PM
My iBook's HD just failed, and I broke the power connector while trying to replace it.

So I was about to buy a new macbook tomorrow, but now I will wait. I REALLY hope it comes out this Tuesday, or else I will feel terrible purchasing it on Wednesday, and the new one coming out a week later! I might just end up waiting till it is released, though...

diehldun
Oct 28, 2007, 10:10 PM
just an upgrade to santa rosa, or do you all think it's going to be the complete case redesign many here have been talking about?

pdpfilms
Oct 28, 2007, 10:10 PM
What's apple's policy with new purchases being made obsolete? Is it 8 days? 10? Anyone know definitively?

sMacThat
Oct 28, 2007, 10:11 PM
come on…aluminum case, aluminum case

xUKHCx
Oct 28, 2007, 10:11 PM
What's apple's policy with new purchases being made obsolete? Is it 8 days? 10? Anyone know definitively?

Isn't it 14,

Edit: here (http://www.apple.com/legal/sales_policies/retail_us.html) is a good place to look

meagain
Oct 28, 2007, 10:12 PM
I can't imagine they wouldn't have the new screens like the macbook pro - right?

Are we thinking this will just be a speed improvement? I'd think they'd wait till MacWorld to release a design change - right?

pdpfilms
Isn't it 14

14 would be nice... anyone else who has actually benefitted from it wanna chime in?

offwidafairies
thats great. as long as they dont update the mbp anytime soon. mine has just been shipped. should arrive tomorrow :D

Stella
Oct 28, 2007, 10:13 PM
I'm interested to see how Apple prices the new MacBook in Canada.

There's not going to be that much difference between the MB and MB Pro, should the Macbook get the anticipated upgrade ( apart from a huge price difference ).

Zadillo

Well, there's a 14 day return policy, but I don't think they would forego the 10% restocking fee just because something newer came out.

You might be able to argue the case though, but I wouldn't count on it.

Also, how would a current MacBook become "obsolete" when a newer model comes out? I mean, seriously?

-Zadillo

pdpfilms
Well, there's a 14 day return policy, but I don't think they would forego the 10% restocking fee just because something newer came out.

You might be able to argue the case though, but I wouldn't count on it.

Also, how would a current MacBook become "obsolete" when a newer model comes out? I mean, seriously?

-Zadillo

I think obsolete was the wrong term.

But I'm qute positive Apple has a policy that permits free exchanges if your newly purchased mac is replaced within a certain period.

Lyle
I'll buy at least one, to replace my wife's three year-old iBook. I might even buy another, to replace my year-old MacBook, depending on how significant of an update it is. :D

fblack
Oct 28, 2007, 10:14 PM
Cool, but what I really want is a Macbook with a 15 inch screen, the current crop is too small for my eyes.

Zadillo
Oct 28, 2007, 10:15 PM
I can't imagine they wouldn't have the new screens like the macbook pro - right?

Are we thinking this will just be a speed improvement? I'd think they'd wait till MacWorld to release a design change - right?

Well, I don't know. On one hand, LED-screens so far have still been seen primarily as a premium feature (a premium option on the Dell XPSM1330, or Sony's premium SZ and TZ models).

On the other hand, Apple had said when they first announced plans to switch to LED-backlit screens that their plan was to eventually use LED-backlit screens everywhere, so it seems to be only a matter of time before Apple switches the product line over entirely.

At this point the only issue I think with the iMac and 17" MBP is just that LED-backlighting isn't available in those sizes.

But 13.3" LED backlit screens are much more common, relatively speaking (given that the 13.3" XPSM1330 and SZ are two of the most common models to offer LED backlighting), so it would be more feasible to offer them in the MacBook, and prices might have come down enough for it to be realistic to offer.

-Zadillo

bit density
Oct 28, 2007, 10:16 PM
I will buy one the day they come out.

xUKHCx
14 would be nice... anyone else who has actually benefitted from it wanna chime in?

My housemate got away with 15 days with his iBook - Macbook (he only had to pay the difference)

Zadillo
I think obsolete was the wrong term.

But I'm qute positive Apple has a policy that permits free exchanges if your newly purchased mac is replaced within a certain period.

I'd be pretty surprised if this was an official policy in writing.

But I would agree that it is probably possible to get Apple to accept a return without a restocking fee, at least if you argued a bit about it.

-Zadillo

basesloaded190
Oct 28, 2007, 10:17 PM
i think we may just be seeing SR update. early next year will be the new design. but thats me talking from my three month old macbook...

flopticalcube
Oct 28, 2007, 10:17 PM
About time Apple. Dell, Samsung and a host of others are way ahead of you here.

~David
Oct 28, 2007, 10:18 PM
UHG! I can't stand the pressure anymore! :eek: *begins running around in circles in anticipation*

I really don't care what's updated, I just want to be able to finally get my Macbook (Although, some nice upgrades would be nice of course).

Same, I'm hoping they match the US and CAD prices, or at least drop the CAD prices somewhat. Again, they did with Leopard.

d_saum
Oct 28, 2007, 10:19 PM
awesome! Well... I'd say I'd buy one as soon as they came out.. but damn you Apple.... you just had to go above and beyond today at the Genius bar didn't you. They are totally fixing everything thats wrong with my macbook... so now I can't really justify buying a new one. Bastards!!! :D

(Im going to create a new thread about what a GREAT experience I had at the Apple store today here in Charlotte... but a quick rundown.. they are replacing my top case, keyboard/palmrest/trackpad thing, giving me a new battery, and giving me a new iPhone because I scratched the glass (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=370084) somehow. So yeah... now I really dont have a reason to upgrade to a new Macbook)

Football1maniac
Oct 28, 2007, 10:20 PM
Sadly, I just bought a new Sony VAIO with the 5-letter word that everyone hates on it (it starts with a V and ends with an ista) but im doing some soul-searching in hacking my computer and uploading Leopard on to it. Any thoughts?

But if I were buy a new computer today, I would be excited for the new MacBooks.:apple:

Stella
Some articles about the X3100 graphics

http://www.notebookcheck.net/Mobile-Graphics-Cards-Benchmark-List.844.0.html ( windows benchmarks, but a good guide nonetheless )

http://www.tech.co.uk/computing/upgrades-and-peripherals/graphics-and-multimedia/graphics-cards/other/review/intel-gma-x3100 ( review )

Genghis Khan
Santa Rosa (2.0GHz + 2.2GHz)
X3100 integrated graphics
HDD storage boost
new aluminum case with narrow screen bezel
multi-touch touchpad

NEiMac
Oct 28, 2007, 10:21 PM
THis is really cool. Good thing I bought my iMac and can't afford a new macbook. It would be really tempting to replace my core duo macbook with one of these. Oh well I wanna get another year out of it anyway, who know what they will have next year. :D

Zadillo
Oct 28, 2007, 10:22 PM
Sadly, I just bought a new Sony VAIO with the 5-letter word that everyone hates on it (it starts with a V and ends with an ista) but im doing some soul-searching in hacking my computer and uploading Leopard on to it. Any thoughts?

But if I were buy a new computer today, I would be excited for the new MacBooks.:apple:

Did you at least buy a retail copy of Leopard?

-Zadillo

pamon
Oct 28, 2007, 10:22 PM
enjoy mine that i bought about 6 mos ago. if it gets updated, would be interesting for xmas...

Farani
Oct 28, 2007, 10:25 PM
Weeee! I hope this is true! I knew Steve wouldn't make me wait until Nov 6th! I don't care what macbook I get anymore, I just want one ahhhH! lol

goldenlotus
Oct 28, 2007, 10:26 PM
HDD storage boost
multi-touch touchpad

Multi touch is definitly coming to an actual mac at some point. Might be soon now though. It seems unlikely that they'd release it on the macbook before the pro line, but I guess it's possible.

celloman
Oct 28, 2007, 10:29 PM
I can't wait!!!!!!

Farani
Oct 28, 2007, 10:30 PM
UHG! I can't stand the pressure anymore! :eek: *begins running around in circles in anticipation*

I really don't care what's updated, I just want to be able to finally get my Macbook (Although, some nice upgrades would be nice of course).

Same, I'm hoping they match the US and CAD prices, or at least drop the CAD prices somewhat. Again, they did with Leopard.

LOL there are so many of us! I just say this thread pop up on forum spy and i got so excited. A new macbook is the highlight of my month. Wow, that's so sad :apple:.

coday182
Oct 28, 2007, 10:30 PM
About time Apple. Dell, Samsung and a host of others are way ahead of you here.

Yes but isn't it already been proved that it's worth it in the end? (leopard?) lol

SirOmega
Oct 28, 2007, 10:34 PM
For the Mac Pro folks: the underlying CPU doesn't come out until November 12, so I'd expect an announcement after that.

Also, this is good but I'm waiting for the G45/X4500 video chipset due next summer before I buy another MacBook to replace my current MacBook (Core Duo 1.83Ghz).

happydude
i'd really like to see the return of a 12" laptop - either macbook or macbook pro, no matter!! any chance we're looking at that?!

Bill Gates
This would suggest that the next MacBook would see an upgrade to the Santa Rosa chipset.
Santa Rosa is not a chipset; it's a platform. No Apple computer to date has used the Santa Rosa platform. You should say instead that it will use the Intel Mobile 965 Express chipset, code-named Crestline.

mdriftmeyer
Oct 28, 2007, 10:35 PM
It'll come with the GMA X3100

The Santa Rosa platform consists of:

* Processors - Socket P
o an Intel Core 2 Duo (code-named Merom) second generation processor with 800 MT/s FSB, or
o an Intel Core 2 Duo (code-named Penryn) 45nm processor scheduled for release in November 2007 [1] for Santa Rosa Refresh platform.
* an Intel Mobile 965 Express chipset (code-named Crestline) with Intel's GMA X3100 graphics technology and ICH8M southbridge, 800 MT/s front side bus with Dynamic Front Side Bus Switching to save power during low utilization, and
o Intel Dynamic Acceleration (IDA), better Windows Vista Aero support. [2]
o RAM supported for DDR2-533 and DDR2-667 SO-DIMM.
o EFI-compliant firmware, a successor to BIOS.
o optional NAND flash-memory caching branded as Intel Turbo Memory (code-named Robson)
* the Intel Wireless WiFi Link 4965AGN (a/b/g/draft-n) mini-PCIe Wi-Fi adapter (code-named Kedron).
o Wireless-N technology boasts a 5X speed increase, along with a 2X greater coverage area, and supports 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz signal bands, with enough bandwidth for high definition audio and video streams. [1]

The GMA X3100 will just be disabled while another GPU is installed.

flopticalcube
Oct 28, 2007, 10:38 PM

* Processors - Socket P
o an Intel Core 2 Duo (code-named Merom) second generation processor with 800 MT/s FSB, or
o an Intel Core 2 Duo (code-named Penryn) 45nm processor scheduled for release in November 2007 [1] for Santa Rosa Refresh platform.
* an Intel Mobile 965 Express chipset (code-named Crestline) with Intel's GMA X3100 graphics technology and ICH8M southbridge, 800 MT/s front side bus with Dynamic Front Side Bus Switching to save power during low utilization, and
o optional NAND flash-memory caching branded as Intel Turbo Memory (code-named Robson)
* the Intel Wireless WiFi Link 4965AGN (a/b/g/draft-n) mini-PCIe Wi-Fi adapter (code-named Kedron).
o Wireless-N technology boasts a 5X speed increase, along with a 2X greater coverage area, and supports 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz signal bands, with enough bandwidth for high definition audio and video streams. [1]

Crestline comes in 2 variants. One with a GPU and one without. GM965 and PM965 for the mobile editions.

Zadillo
Oct 28, 2007, 10:40 PM

* Processors - Socket P

I'm not so sure that's correct. I'm pretty sure that Santa Rosa machines with dedicated graphics specifically do not have the integrated part. It would be kind of a waste.

The only machine I can think of like this is the Sony SZ series of laptops, which include both integrated GMAX3100 graphics and NVidia GeForce 8400M GS graphics, with a switch to switch between them.

But that is something unique to the SZ; I really don't think other Santa Rosa machines have GMAX3100 graphics present and "disabled".

If this was true, it would make sense for more machines to offer the same "hybrid" graphics concept as the SZ, as it would allow people to get the same benefit of extra battery life when they don't need the dedicated GPU.

-Zadillo

Foxglove9
Oct 28, 2007, 10:41 PM
The MacBook is on the main Leopard page on Apples website. So you definitely will NOT see a case change until next year. I think the SR platform is possible with the onboard graphics still. And perhaps a marginal speed bump. LED backlights next year.

We can't have them better than Macbook Pro's of course. I'm sure whatever Apple releases most people on this forum will be disappointed as always.:D

Zadillo
Oct 28, 2007, 10:41 PM
Santa Rosa is not a chipset; it's a platform. No Apple computer to date has used the Santa Rosa platform. You should say instead that it will use the Intel Mobile 965 Express chipset, code-named Crestline.

To be fair, it's not like Intel goes out of their way to make this clear.

I think when most people refer to a machine as a Santa Rosa machine, it is clear what is meant.

-Zadillo

Hane
Oct 28, 2007, 10:42 PM
I hope this is true...I've had 1400 sitting in a bank account for a few months now awaiting the day that new macbooks are released.

darthraige
Oct 28, 2007, 10:44 PM
This would be great if the MacBook comes out this Tuesday, then we will definitely be on track for a new MacPro Mid November!

Bill Gates
Oct 28, 2007, 10:44 PM
To be fair, it's not like Intel goes out of their way to make this clear.

I think when most people refer to a machine as a Santa Rosa machine, it is clear what is meant.

-Zadillo
It's not like they make an obscure reference to it either. I've been saying it since before the MacBook Pro was refreshed and I'm still saying it now. Just because a phrase or name is commonly and incorrectly used doesn't mean those who know contrary should follow suit. Santa Rosa is Intel's latest Centrino platform, plain and simple, not a chipset.

berkleeboy210
Oct 28, 2007, 10:45 PM
I was planning on buying Tomorrow. guess I'll hold off till Tuesday. Thanks Arn! :)

DaveTurnbull
Oct 28, 2007, 10:48 PM
IF it's a Macbook update, does that include Macbook Pro's ?

flopticalcube
Oct 28, 2007, 10:49 PM
IF it's a Macbook update, does that include Macbook Pro's ?

No.

BEASTMAN
Oct 28, 2007, 10:49 PM
ugh I am soooo ready for an update, I have been waiting since the middle of the summer, need one for school.

Would love:

1) LED Screen
2) Thinner design
3) x3100
4) Spec upgrades
5) DECISION on which color if they aren't all the same aluminum without price increase.

PLEASE STEVE PLEASE

Wanderer509
Oct 28, 2007, 10:50 PM
i have been looking at macbooks for over 6 months now, wavering between macbook and macbook pro. but o man i really hope the new macbook does come out! please please with aluminum case please since 3 of my frds already have a white macbook :( my pentium 3 800mhz needs replacing fast, or i will blow it up before i replace it.

kster
Oct 28, 2007, 10:50 PM
how does apple plan on introducing it?

they typically send out invitations weeks in advance for the press to show up?

Tymmz
Oct 28, 2007, 10:54 PM
Hmmm, my guess is that the MacBook's body will stay the same if it gets an update, but I'm still hoping for a "new" 12'' PB. The MacBooks don't cut it for me.

goodtimes5
Oct 28, 2007, 10:55 PM
I don't care what's new as long as something is updated so I can finally use this money and buy my baby a great Christmas present. Already skimped on her birthday because of these rumors.

Farani
Oct 28, 2007, 10:55 PM

That's for big product intros. Small refreshes or updates are done much more quietly. That's why i wouldn't expect multi-touch or a new case. I'd think SR, X3100, and speedbump. That's fine with me. I just want a damn Mac laptop. Enough of my dad's POS Vista machine!

darthraige
Oct 28, 2007, 10:56 PM

Not if its a silent update. Just making processors better and graphics. It's not like it's a new design or anything.

kster
Oct 28, 2007, 10:57 PM
lets not leave out the macbook pros :)

Zadillo
Oct 28, 2007, 10:57 PM
It's not like they make an obscure reference to it either. I've been saying it since before the MacBook Pro was refreshed and I'm still saying it now. Just because a phrase or name is commonly and incorrectly used doesn't mean those who know contrary should follow suit. Santa Rosa is Intel's latest Centrino platform, plain and simple, not a chipset.

OK, again, fair enough.

But I think you're fighting a losing battle. The reality is, when people are talking about notebooks (and I mean among the kinds of people who frequent forums like this or notebookreview.com), EVERYONE knows what someone means when someone refers to the "Santa Rosa" version of a laptop, whether it is a full Centrino platform or not.

I mean, look on any Asus forum, for example, and everyone knows what people are talking about when they refer to a Santa Rosa Asus notebook.

Santa Rosa has become a shorthand to refer to ANY Intel-based laptop with some or all of the major components of the Santa Rosa platform.

Frankly, people are much more likely to understand that than someone referring to the specific chipset names, etc.

-Zadillo

B. Hunter
Oct 28, 2007, 10:58 PM
How will the x3100 improve performance?
I use Final Cut Express a lot.

I am using an aging Powerbook, almost time to replace it.

flopticalcube
Oct 28, 2007, 10:59 PM
OK, again, fair enough.

But I think you're fighting a losing battle. The reality is, when people are talking about notebooks (and I mean among the kinds of people who frequent forums like this or notebookreview.com), EVERYONE knows what someone means when someone refers to the "Santa Rosa" version of a laptop, whether it is a full Centrino platform or not.

I mean, look on any Asus forum, for example, and everyone knows what people are talking about when they refer to a Santa Rosa Asus notebook.

Santa Rosa has become a shorthand to refer to ANY Intel-based laptop with some or all of the major components of the Santa Rosa platform.

Frankly, people are much more likely to understand that than someone referring to the specific chipset names, etc.

-Zadillo

and we can go through all this fun again in 6 months time with Montevina...

CrusaderKnight
Oct 28, 2007, 11:00 PM
I hope its an update for the case and update for the other stuff. So its worth buy b/c Im not going to get it if its just for a little update. When a bigger update will be coming after that.

lunarworks
Oct 28, 2007, 11:02 PM
This is what I've been waiting for.

I've been a Mac fan for years, and now I'm ready to buy one. But, the Mac desktop selection SUCKS. (Yes, it SUCKS. HARD AND BIG. Mac mini is weak, iMac's all-in-one form is not what I need, Mac Pro is grossly overpriced. There's no middle ground.)

I've been tempted by the MacBook, but the GMA950 graphics have been a deterrent. If we can get a new MacBook, with a nice chipset, while my student discount still applies, I will buy one. Guaranteed.

FJ218700
Oct 28, 2007, 11:02 PM
Multi touch is definitly coming to an actual mac at some point. Might be soon now though. It seems unlikely that they'd release it on the macbook before the pro line, but I guess it's possible.

I don't see the MacBooks getting MT before the MBP's. My guess is a silent upgrade now, then new cases and multitouch for the MBs and MBPs revealed in January or next June.

darthraige
Oct 28, 2007, 11:03 PM
Maybe Apple will surprise us all and make the MacBook and MacPro announcement this Tuesday. ;):p

canucksfan88
Oct 28, 2007, 11:03 PM
omg, i so hope it's this tuesday!!!

i really want to see how they price things up here in canada...

Farani
Oct 28, 2007, 11:04 PM
This is what I've been waiting for.

I've been a Mac fan for years, and now I'm ready to buy one. But, the Mac desktop selection SUCKS. (Yes, it SUCKS. HARD AND BIG. Mac mini is weak, iMac's all-in-one form is not what I need, Mac Pro is grossly overpriced. There's no middle ground.)

I've been tempted by the MacBook, but the GMA950 graphics have been a deterrent. If we can get a new MacBook, with a nice chipset, while my student discount still applies, I will buy one. Guaranteed.

There have been rumors floating around of a mac nano...

David G.
Oct 28, 2007, 11:07 PM
Come on :apple:, make this soon to be switcher extremely happy.

AdamB60
Oct 28, 2007, 11:10 PM
I certainly hope it's soon. I just sold a ton of PC parts and a Dell laptop to have enough for a new Macbook.

BigTRQ
Oct 28, 2007, 11:15 PM
Bought my MacBook last Tuesday, October 23rd. If new ones drop this Tuesday, October 30th, I think I'll at least ponder a change. If the speed bump isn't that great, or the HD stays the same, would there be any real benefit to getting the newer model, i.e.-is SR all that and a bag of chips, etc.?

JSpence
Oct 28, 2007, 11:16 PM
I have some serious exams and hw due all this week. As much as I would love to sit around and figure out my new MB, I would hate to be distracted all through the week by thinking of a new MB coming the following week.

I have a feeling it's next week :( but what do I know :rolleyes:

Prove me wrong Apple.

SilentCrs
Still a pretty terrible video card. And before anyone says "but it's a consumer level laptop" -- that's my point. Consumers are more likely to be gamers than the people who buy MacBook Pros.

AidenShaw
I certainly hope it's soon. I just sold a ton of PC parts and a Dell laptop to have enough for a new Macbook.

Only a fool would try to second guess the Lord God Jobs.

offwidafairies
Oct 28, 2007, 11:17 PM
I don't care what's new as long as something is updated so I can finally use this money and buy my baby a great Christmas present. Already skimped on her birthday because of these rumors.

i'll be your baby anytime u need a new one :p

Farani
Oct 28, 2007, 11:18 PM
Bought my MacBook last Tuesday, October 23rd. If new ones drop this Tuesday, October 30th, I think I'll at least ponder a change. If the speed bump isn't that great, or the HD stays the same, would there be any real benefit to getting the newer model, i.e.-is SR all that and a bag of chips, etc.?

From what I hear, SR is a good deal better than the current setup. You have 14 days to return it with a 10% restocking free. That gives you until Tuesday Nov 6th. So, if they're in people's hands on Tuesday, you should know if it's worth the 10% extra with time to spare.

ShiggyMiyamoto
Oct 28, 2007, 11:18 PM
Okay so, someone fill me on the GMA X3100. Is it intergrated, but not shared? That's the one thing that's stopping me from getting a MacBook (non pro). I don't mind the glossy screen, though I'd prefer to have the option of not having it.

BIK
Oct 28, 2007, 11:19 PM
I would guess it would be a processor/integrated graphics update. The multitouch and case design changes will be introduced in Jan at Macworld.

Zadillo
Oct 28, 2007, 11:21 PM
Still a pretty terrible video card. And before anyone says "but it's a consumer level laptop" -- that's my point. Consumers are more likely to be gamers than the people who buy MacBook Pros.

Not specifically..... the large bulk of laptops sold, PC and Mac, are consumer machines with integrated graphics, as well as business machines with integrated graphics (i.e. the large bulk of ThinkPads sold to typical business users currently use GMAX3100).

The small segment of laptop users who are gamers demand a much more powerful GPU than the kind of low-level GPU you will see as a dedicated option in cheaper consumer-level machines, like the 8400M GS.

-Zadillo

flopticalcube
Oct 28, 2007, 11:21 PM
Okay so, someone fill me on the GMA X3100. Is it intergrated, but not shared? That's the one thing that's stopping me from getting a MacBook (non pro). I don't mind the glossy screen, though I'd prefer to have the option of not having it.

Integrated and shared just like the GMA950. Its about 2 to 3 times faster and has hardware T & L for your 3D gaming pleasure.

Zadillo
Oct 28, 2007, 11:22 PM

No, it still uses shared memory. It's still an integrated graphics chip, it's just an update to the GMA950.

Why is that stopping you from getting it specifically? I mean, why would the shared video memory be a problem for you?

-Zadillo

JSpence
Oct 28, 2007, 11:24 PM
I would guess it would be a processor/integrated graphics update. The multitouch and case design changes will be introduced in Jan at Macworld.

Yes. I really doubt the MB getting MT before the MBP. It's just unfair lol Update the MB with MT before their pro line?

Either Apple goes with the new case design, all out MB update, and leaves the MT for the MBP's in Jan, or the MB gets something small, and both get an overhaul in Jan with MT. And then they release the secret ultra slim, fits-in-your-wallet, don't-loose-it-in-a-deck-of-cards laptop.

:p

celloman
Oct 28, 2007, 11:45 PM
Either Apple goes with the new case design, all out MB update, and leaves the MT for the MBP's in Jan, or the MB gets something small, and both get an overhaul in Jan with MT. And then they release the secret ultra slim, fits-in-your-wallet, don't-loose-it-in-a-deck-of-cards laptop. :p

if they big overhaul is in jan followed by a little overhaul in november/october, lotsa people are gonna be super P.Oed :eek: is there is a change for one system apple should say, "blah blah blah update, BUT NOT SHIPPING UNTIL JAN. or something" instead of having two updates for MB.

ShiggyMiyamoto
Oct 28, 2007, 11:47 PM
No, it still uses shared memory. It's still an integrated graphics chip, it's just an update to the GMA950.

Why is that stopping you from getting it specifically? I mean, why would the shared video memory be a problem for you?

-Zadillo

I don't like limitations. The GMA chips do just that - limit you as to what you can use the computer for.

I want a MacBook Pro because I like the larger screen, and the graphics are dedicated. I don't do anything too too heavy GPU wise, but I may want to dabble in something that needs it here and there.

This is getting sort of OT here, but I'll just list what I'd want my MBP for briefly:

* Encode video for my iPhone

* Watch videos (I'm a hardcore Japanese anime fan)

* Do some Photoshop work here and there

* An upgrade to my aging iBook G3/600 MHz from 2001

...and the list goes on.

aafuss1
Oct 28, 2007, 11:47 PM
I'd be impressed to see the new MacBook's use the X3100 instead of the older GMA950 (the Mac mini should too). It would be boring to see just a speed bump, like last time.

mdriftmeyer
Oct 28, 2007, 11:49 PM

-Zadillo

It's a lot more than an just an updated GMA950.

Ropedartman
Oct 28, 2007, 11:49 PM
Hello all,

Been reading these forums for a while and finally decided to join. I have been waiting months for a Macbook (wasn't in a hurry so I thought I would at least wait for Leopard, then an update). Soooo glad for SR and GMA X3100, I am a product designer in training and wanted a Pro, but decided that most of the work I do would suck on a Laptop anyway. So with the difference I am getting a big-ass monitor for my desktop! Which is unfortunately still a PC :(
But if I love the Mac like everyone says I will then an iMac or MacPro is in the future! I would love to see a major redesign but don't believe that will happen now (please be wrong), SR+3100 and maybe some disk space are likely. Macbook Pro total redesign with goodies in January and a total redesign Macbook later that year (following the in Pro's footsteps no doubt). My main hope is that I'll at least be able to run some basic Photoshop and Illustrator with this platform...what do you guys think?

Wild-Bill
Oct 28, 2007, 11:57 PM
:rolleyes: Great.....

Apple's going to update the Macbook before the Mac Pro. They must have the Mac Pro on the "pay no mind" list. How many updates has that thing had since the Mac Pro came out?? Unbelievable. :mad:

Zadillo
Oct 28, 2007, 11:59 PM
I don't like limitations. The GMA chips do just that - limit you as to what you can use the computer for.

I want a MacBook Pro because I like the larger screen, and the graphics are dedicated. I don't do anything too too heavy GPU wise, but I may want to dabble in something that needs it here and there.

This is getting sort of OT here, but I'll just list what I'd want my MBP for briefly:

* Encode video for my iPhone

* Watch videos (I'm a hardcore Japanese anime fan)

* Do some Photoshop work here and there

* An upgrade to my aging iBook G3/600 MHz from 2001

...and the list goes on.

Fair enough. The thing is, the GPU will not benefit you in any of those areas.

I do understand what you mean, but it's only a limiting factor if you use apps or games that do use the GPU.

These same limitation issues apply to any PC notebook with integrated graphics as well.

-Zadillo

ericdano
Want and need new MacPro not a laptop.....erg!

Zadillo
:rolleyes: Great.....

Apple's going to update the Macbook before the Mac Pro. They must have the Mac Pro on the "pay no mind" list. How many updates has that thing had since the Mac Pro came out?? Unbelievable. :mad:

Until the new Penryn chips are available, what do you expect Apple to have done with the Mac Pro exactly?

-Zadillo

It's a lot more than an just an updated GMA950.

All I meant is that it's the next line in Intel's integrated graphics chips. I didn't mean to imply it was simply an improved GMA950.

-Zadillo

TiBookG4/5
Oct 29, 2007, 12:01 AM
I am curious where the idea that Apple is planning on updating the casework for the MacBook and MacBook Pro comes from? If someone should have links to news stories that support this claim I would be interested in seeing them. I am preparing to purchase a new Apple laptop but have been unimpressed by the antiquated Aluminum enclosure used on the MacBook Pro and would consider delaying purchasing one now if there is evidence to support to the claim that these computers will be redesigned in January. In my opinion Jobs has delivered increasingly more boring keynotes at MacWorld and I have low expectations for 2008. I would think that Tuesdays MacBook update is going to be minor.

What are peoples thoughts--buy a MacBook Pro now or wait?

Foxglove9
Oct 29, 2007, 12:01 AM
My main hope is that I'll at least be able to run some basic Photoshop and Illustrator with this platform...what do you guys think?

It can already run more than basic photoshop and illustrator work.

Eidorian
Oct 29, 2007, 12:02 AM
I'm dancing between a MacBook + gaming rig or a Mac Pro still. :eek:

whirlpool
Oct 29, 2007, 12:06 AM
I doubt they would release a macbook update in november only to follow it up with another update in jan...

costs in changes in production etc... for just 2 months of selling a macbook?

Zadillo
Oct 29, 2007, 12:06 AM
I am curious where the idea that Apple is planning on updating the casework for the MacBook and MacBook Pro comes from? If someone should have links to news stories that support this claim I would be interested in seeing them. I am preparing to purchase a new Apple laptop but have been unimpressed by the antiquated Aluminum enclosure used on the MacBook Pro and would consider delaying purchasing one now if there is evidence to support to the claim that these computers will be redesigned in January. In my opinion Jobs has delivered increasingly more boring keynotes at MacWorld and I have low expectations for 2008. I would think that Tuesdays MacBook update is going to be minor.

What are peoples thoughts--buy a MacBook Pro now or wait?

Considering that the last Macworld keynote had Apple unveiling a completely new product line and UI concepts (the iPhone, multitouch and the future it holds for upcoming Mac products), I'm not sure how it can be seen as boring, but to each their own. But if introducing the first radically new product line from Apple in years is boring to you, I can't imagine that anything they could announce in 2008 would excite you.

If you're unimpressed with the MacBook Pro, I doubt anything about an upcoming MacBook redesign would impress you either, as many people expect it to be aluminum-based as well.

As far as why people expect it - outside of existing rumors, other changes in Apple's product line have hinted towards it. For example, with the iMac redesign and the iPod Classic, Apple has pretty much completely eliminated the basic white plastic design, and replaced almost every product they have with aluminum. Things like the 2G iPod Nano foreshadowed this.

The MacBook sticks out as the only remaining product that still uses this design concept.

But again, if you have been bored by what Apple has announced, I think you'll be bored and unimpressed by an aluminum MacBook. I mean, the design of the MacBook Pro is inherently "unflashy", so to speak, and I would expect an aluminum MacBook to look very similar.

At best, some of the rumors have pointed to it being even thinner, and possibly smaller (with the screen bezel right to the edge).

-Zadillo

Eidorian
Oct 29, 2007, 12:07 AM
I doubt they would release a macbook update in november only to follow it up with another update in jan...

costs in changes in production etc... for just 2 months of selling a macbook?MacBook != MacBook Pro

portuglish08
Oct 29, 2007, 12:09 AM

:apple:Quite a few people have said they think that a case redesign would come in Jan, wouldn't that be too soon for the macbooks to be updated again if they are updated on tuesday? Only about 2 1/2 months later? I'd be kinda mad if I bought one on tuesday and then they redesign it so quickly. I mean, I would understand 5 months or more, but 2 is kinda quick...?:apple:

Decrepit
Oct 29, 2007, 12:12 AM
Here's hoping it's true... and that it leads to a new generation of Minis shortly.

:-)

Wild-Bill
Oct 29, 2007, 12:15 AM
Until the new Penryn chips are available, what do you expect Apple to have done with the Mac Pro exactly?

Hmm... Lets see... Updated graphics options for one. I don't want a card that's almost three years old. 2 gigs RAM standard instead of the 1 gig (2x512) configuration, 500 gig drive standard, and perhaps some price adjustment to reflect the fact that these components are less than HALF of what Apple charges for. ($323.00 for a 500 gig hard drive??? $400.00 for a x1900xt??!?! What a joke)

Muahdib
Oct 29, 2007, 12:18 AM
Arrrggghhh..Noooo... I just bought a Macbook today, well yesterday actually (Sunday.) Of course I drove 2 1/2 hours to get it only to read this tonight. Please tell me I'll be able to call Apple and exchange my Macbook for a new one assuming they actually do release new ones.:(

aliquis-
Oct 29, 2007, 12:19 AM
Cool for them.

Eidorian
Oct 29, 2007, 12:20 AM
Arrrggghhh..Noooo... I just bought a Macbook today, well yesterday actually (Sunday.) Of course I drove 2 1/2 hours to get it only to read this tonight. Please tell me I'll be able to call Apple and exchange my Macbook for a new one assuming they actually do release new ones.:(Sadly, there have been several front page articles on this on MacRumors for the past month or two.

It pays to be a somewhat active member and look at what's on the front page.

I'm waiting to get the best value!

TheBigS
Oct 29, 2007, 12:21 AM

Especially since the CAD has passed the USD that would be really nice. Gettin tired of being ripped off up here :p

matthewHUB
Oct 29, 2007, 12:22 AM
Sadly, there have been several front page articles on this on MacRumors for the past month or two.

stop being mean.

The other guy - don't worry... apple has an exchange policy. 14 days i think it is no questions re-imbursement or exchange.

Zwhaler
Oct 29, 2007, 12:25 AM
this kinda sucks, I bought my macbook right when it came out... kinda was hoping it would stay top for more than 5 months.

droo94
Oct 29, 2007, 12:28 AM
stop being mean.

The other guy - don't worry... apple has an exchange policy. 14 days i think it is no questions re-imbursement or exchange.

That didn't seem like a "mean" response, IMHO, just an honest one. Heck, the Buyer's Guide says...

Buy only if you need it - Approaching the end of a cycle.

samuraikiss
Oct 29, 2007, 12:32 AM
For example, with the iMac redesign and the iPod Classic, Apple has pretty much completely eliminated the basic white plastic design, and replaced almost every product they have with aluminum. Things like the 2G iPod Nano foreshadowed this.

The MacBook sticks out as the only remaining product that still uses this design concept.

I personally prefer the white plastic designs, as compared to the newer aluminum designs. So, if there is an aluminum MacBook released, then I'll be especially glad that I still have a sleek, stylish white MacBook. But I would love an LCD screen and a slimmer profile. Besides, Apple updates are just exciting!

dchong
Oct 29, 2007, 12:34 AM
:) Was told that MacBook Pro may be upgraded with a faster processor from its current. Or was that a miscommunication? Or is that for the Mac Pros?
I am just holding back buying the 17 inch just in case it does happen within couple of months.
Help anyone..?

matthewHUB
Oct 29, 2007, 12:40 AM
Sadly, there have been several front page articles on this on MacRumors for the past month or two.

That didn't seem like a "mean" response, IMHO, just an honest one. Heck, the Buyer's Guide says...

Buy only if you need it - Approaching the end of a cycle.

yeh sorry i didn't mean 'mean'.. lol. i was merely stating he's probs a noob and probs wants to get some money back or at least the best product available at the time. i feel for him...

Muahdib
Oct 29, 2007, 12:41 AM
I was aware it was near the end of the cycle but I didn't think they would wait until 3-4 days after Leopard came out to announce an update. I really needed it and this was the perfect weekend for me to go get it. Not blaming apple but figured it would be January before the update. I'm actually glad that they did upgrade, just wish I hadn't been off by two days. If nothing else I'll just call in sick and go back and exchange it. I'll just have to pay a penalty of 10% possibly, but hopefully not.

I have Pismo powerbook that is 7 years old, and just couldn't wait any longer. It still runs great but definitely long in the tooth.

maceleven
Oct 29, 2007, 12:44 AM
14 days

maceleven
Oct 29, 2007, 12:47 AM
I'll buy at least one, to replace my wife's three year-old iBook. I might even buy another, to replace my year-old MacBook, depending on how significant of an update it is. :D
just give your wife the old mackbook and you get the newone:rolleyes::confused::cool::D:)

Rivix
Oct 29, 2007, 12:57 AM
Boring... just give me a MBP update :p

idiefilms
Oct 29, 2007, 01:02 AM
Ok could someone for the love of god just tell me one thing... How will the x3100 or any of the proposed updates help Final Cut Pro(Studio 2 preferably) and please don't say get a MB Pro.

Dybbuk
Oct 29, 2007, 01:03 AM
If I hadn't used my MacBook for countless hours over the past two months, I'd be very bitter about buying it. But, I don't really need a better GPU, just want one; I don't do anything with 3D. As for the 4GB RAM ... by the time I need it, it'll be time to get a new machine.

So I'm only a LITTLE bitter.

Hope the updates fulfill the needs of everyone waiting.

Undecided
Oct 29, 2007, 01:06 AM
Damn, I was JUST about to place an order. This is killing me!

arn
Oct 29, 2007, 01:27 AM
I was planning on buying Tomorrow. guess I'll hold off till Tuesday. Thanks Arn! :)

if it doesn't happen tuesday, wait until next tuesday. It's coming soon.

arn

KissStephanie
Oct 29, 2007, 01:30 AM
I would guess it would be a processor/integrated graphics update. The multitouch and case design changes will be introduced in Jan at Macworld.Two MacBook updates in just over two months? I don't think so mate. If Apple releases an updated MacBook this week as it appears they will do, then that will be it for a bit longer than two months I would think.

whirlpool
Oct 29, 2007, 01:31 AM
if it doesn't happen tuesday, wait until next tuesday. It's coming soon.

arn

what's more likely, tomorrow or next tuesday?

here's hoping to tomorrow :)

Eidorian
Oct 29, 2007, 01:31 AM
Two MacBook updates in just over two months? I don't think so mate. If Apple releases an updated MacBook this week as it appears they will do, then that will be it for a bit longer than two months I would think.MacBook != MacBook Pro

November: MacBook (Napa) -> MacBook (Santa Rosa)
January: MacBook Pro (Santa Rosa + Merom Refresh) -> MacBook Pro (Santa Rosa + Penryn)

thasan
Oct 29, 2007, 01:43 AM
MacBook != MacBook Pro

November: MacBook (Napa) -> MacBook (Santa Rosa)
January: MacBook Pro (Santa Rosa + Merom Refresh) -> MacBook Pro (Santa Rosa + Penryn)

if no alu MB this time, maybe they will put that casing in january??
whats ur opinion?

Eidorian
Oct 29, 2007, 01:44 AM
if no alu MB this time, maybe they will put that casing in january??
whats ur opinion?You're not going to see another MacBook update it there's one in November.

bunnirific
Oct 29, 2007, 01:56 AM

muttley1211
Oct 29, 2007, 01:57 AM
You're not going to see another MacBook update it there's one in November.

haha...yeah that would make no sense to update tomorrow* then have another update in 2 months.

boxandrew
Oct 29, 2007, 02:01 AM
Yesssss!

Finally I can be one of those to say that it'll be my birthday on Tuesday. I hope Steve makes it a good one.

thasan
Oct 29, 2007, 02:12 AM
You're not going to see another MacBook update it there's one in November.

:D so i can dream for alu MB....;)
if not, then alu case will come for the smaller MB (if there is one)

Eidorian
Oct 29, 2007, 02:14 AM
haha...yeah that would make no sense to update tomorrow* then have another update in 2 months.Well this Tuesday or sometime in November works.

We already know that Leopard (9A581) does support the GMA X3100 out of the box.

koobcamuk
Oct 29, 2007, 02:27 AM
Arrrggghhh..Noooo... I just bought a Macbook today, well yesterday actually (Sunday.) Of course I drove 2 1/2 hours to get it only to read this tonight. Please tell me I'll be able to call Apple and exchange my Macbook for a new one assuming they actually do release new ones.:(

If it's within 14 days, yes. I recommend not coming on this site again, and staying away from the Apple.com site too. Once you've done that, come back in 3 years. You might be ready to upgrade but as far as you know, you've had the most recent MacBook and have been having a great time with it...

C'mon dudes - I have the original MacBook. It's so much faster than the old PowerBooks and iBooks. If you need it, buy it. If it's a toy, wait until there's an update or chill out :cool:

SirOmega
Oct 29, 2007, 02:28 AM
MacPro Alert:

Intel has just changed the embargo date for the 45nm Penryn processors from Nov 12 to Oct 29 (today).

Its entirely possible (however I still think unlikely) that Apple could announce new Mac Pros tuesday as well and just say they ship mid/late November.

ColoJohnBoy
Oct 29, 2007, 02:29 AM
come on…aluminum case, aluminum case

Boo, aluminum. I'm really hoping this doesn't happen. I like the look and feel of the aluminum on my PowerBook, but it's absolute **** for wifi reception - my friend's 1st Gen MacBook got a much better signal from my building's network and picked up a full five networks my PowerBook couldn't see. Aluminum is nice and pretty, but very impractical.

Eidorian
Oct 29, 2007, 02:31 AM
MacPro Alert:

Intel has just changed the embargo date for the 45nm Penryn processors from Nov 12 to Oct 29 (today).

Its entirely possible (however I still think unlikely) that Apple could announce new Mac Pros tuesday as well and just say they ship mid/late November.http://www.dailytech.com/Intel+Jumps+45nm+Embargo+Reviews+Imminent/article9432.htm

http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets/intel/showdoc.aspx?i=3137

http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/cpu/display/core2extreme-qx9650.html

http://techreport.com/articles.x/13470

http://enthusiast.hardocp.com/article.html?art=MTQxMSwxLCxoZW50aHVzaWFzdA==

http://www.hothardware.com/articles/Intel_Core_2_Extreme_QX9650__Yorkfield_Has_Landed/?page=1

BIK
Oct 29, 2007, 02:32 AM
Let me more fully expound upon my previous prognostications.

I think Tuesday we will just see a general proc/integrated vid card bump for the MB.

I think in Jan we will see the update to the MB Pro that introduces MT, and probably the long overdue Mac Pro overhaul.

Does anyone have any information about any kind of code in leopard that would show the beginnings of multi touch integration on the software end?

Lastly, I'm calling Mid 08 for the introduction of the all new macbook, complete with aluminum casing, ending the iconic apple white....

.... or they might just use the apple white for the Macbook Nanos announced mid 08??? ;)

thasan
Oct 29, 2007, 02:44 AM
HDD storage boost
multi-touch touchpad

i would leave the multi touch 'untouched'...
other upgrades seem very likely :D

athanacius
Oct 29, 2007, 02:58 AM
Hello, I am a newbie and got here after purchasing the MacBook on Leopard day.

Anyway, after reading this thread, I am unsure about keeping it or turning it back in.
I hope it comes out within a week/10 days, or else... ??? I don't know. I am not in desperate need of the machine.

What would people here suggest? Should I take the 10% hit and hold out for another month for the new one if it doesn't release in a week/10 days?

Suggestions? Thoughts? Thanks for your help

PS - I maybe thrashed for saying this here. I am adopting a MAC for the first time, and everything is a bit overwhelming.

libraritine
Oct 29, 2007, 03:02 AM
OMG Im so sick of the white already

does it take a week for new apple products to arrive in australia?

jbstew32
Oct 29, 2007, 03:37 AM
I could see the GMA upgrade, but I doubt that too much else will happen. I think any sort of case redesign would take place in 2008 and be part of a big keynote.

I doubt Apple ever puts a real GPU into their low end laptops. That's arguably the biggest selling point for the MBP, after all.

I bought my Macbook last January, and though it was a while ago, I will still be jealous of any upgrade the MB gets. Every time my games lag, I just remind myself that I saved $1000 by getting a MB instead of a MBP, and I could go out and buy a decent gaming PC for that price :)

Telefonkiosk
Oct 29, 2007, 03:38 AM
This is the rumors I have been waiting for. Now I can relax and wait for tuesday. Really hopes this one kicks in!

This is what I hope for:
X3100
Bigger HD
No more combo drive

Don't really care about the aluminium. If they change the design: WooHoo! If not, I really like the white too. So no matter what, I win^^

BJNY
Oct 29, 2007, 03:47 AM
I want a new aluminum enclosure and LED backlighting as much as anyone, except:

http://www.thinksecret.com/news/0710macbookrev.html

nja247
Oct 29, 2007, 04:30 AM
Only way I'll get one to replace my current MacBook is if it's thinner and lighter, because I honestly don't have time to do ANY gaming except for Snood or Bejeweled, etc which as we all know don't take any real gaming power to perform.

Here's hoping to a slimmed down model!

Nick

theGAPkid
Oct 29, 2007, 05:41 AM
For those who are wary of a new release this Tues (30 Oct) - because of the current iPod Back to School offer in Europe.

When new products are released on a certain date, isnt it the date American time? In which case, when the new products were launched, Europe would already be one day ahed. due to timezone differences i.e. Tues 30th in America, but Wed 31st in Europe. By which time the European offer would be over.

Reading this back, it sounds like a jumble but I hope you can make sense of it one way or another lol :rolleyes:

BossHogg
Oct 29, 2007, 05:42 AM
Ahhh.....this would be so nice ! Finally had to register to add that simple comment after reading so many threads these past months ! :D

whirlpool
Oct 29, 2007, 05:44 AM
Ahhh.....this would be so nice ! Finally had to register to add that simple comment after reading so many threads these past months ! :D

lol... same here :) can't wait

Steve Works
Oct 29, 2007, 05:50 AM
Cool, but what I really want is a Macbook with a 15 inch screen, the current crop is too small for my eyes.

keep dreaming. MB is made for students and stuff.. that's why it is 13"...
You want a 15" laptop but with mb configuration, anything else mate?
15" =MB pro... buy it ;)

deannnnn
Oct 29, 2007, 06:09 AM
Anybody have a good prediction of when new MacBook Pros will come out?
I'm going to get one when I go to college in August 08 but I'm really tempted to get one sooner =)

twoodcc
Oct 29, 2007, 06:19 AM
well i hope that this is true. we'll see tomorrow hopefully!

Muzzway
Oct 29, 2007, 06:34 AM
Sounds good, might press me to upgrade. But... the day before Halloween? Seems more likely to be the Tuesday after next (November 6th).

doranrhassett
Oct 29, 2007, 06:35 AM
Yeah I have been waiting for this too! I just hope it's Santa Rosa. First time switcher. I don't really care what it looks like, would be cool if it was aluminum though.

DoFoT9
Oct 29, 2007, 06:50 AM
oh this is a-m-z-i-n-g news!!!!

finally my g/f can join the mac wagon wheel :):):)

anotherarunan
Oct 29, 2007, 06:58 AM
So if theres no event....it just randomly appears on apple's website at some point tomorrow? :confused:

Elflovag
Oct 29, 2007, 07:00 AM
YES! YES YES YES YES YES!!!

Oh, and I almost forgot:

YEEEHAAWW!!!:)

My dreams are about to come true:) I don't really care what the CPU's will be like if the graphics chip will be 3100:) Hallelujah!

(Well, I could bear an aluminium mb, but my main hope was the new graphic chip...)

Wild-Bill
Oct 29, 2007, 07:04 AM
Let me more fully expound upon my previous prognostications.

I think in Jan we will see the update to the MB Pro that introduces MT, and probably the long overdue Mac Pro overhaul.

Your prognostication about the Mac Pro couldn't be more wrong.

Stella
Oct 29, 2007, 07:22 AM
So if theres no event....it just randomly appears on apple's website at some point tomorrow? :confused:

Yes, the online apple stores are normally updated around 9am EST.

Unless its there's a significant update there won't be an event. If there was an event then we would have heard about it by now.

swingerofbirch
Oct 29, 2007, 07:30 AM
Arggg I just bought a white macbook on the 16th.....hmm...I'll wait and see..I may try to get it replaced if one comes out tomorrow as the fan noise and squeaking space bar are starting to get to me (described here http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=376965 )

AppleStrudle
Oct 29, 2007, 07:38 AM
Please excuse the naive question. Would a MacBook with an X31000 support Quartz Extreme? Or is a separate GPU (ATI/NVIDIA) needed?

Enjoy

thereubster
Oct 29, 2007, 07:41 AM
My guess is a simple update to the Macbook (this tuesday or the next one) to Santa Rosa; 800Mhz FSB, 802.11N, 4Gb ram support, maybe LED backlit screen (maybe) DVD burners across the board. Same size and white/black plastic case, no external change.
Then at Macworld we see a complete overhaul of the Macbook Pro line, including a nanobook and maybe a tablet sized version too.
Mac Pro update in November, its coming, just be patient......

MacSA
Oct 29, 2007, 07:45 AM
I bet it will still come with a combo drive !!

thasan
Oct 29, 2007, 07:52 AM
My guess is a simple update to the Macbook (this tuesday or the next one) to Santa Rosa; 800Mhz FSB, 802.11N, 4Gb ram support, maybe LED backlit screen (maybe) DVD burners across the board. Same size and white/black plastic case, no external change.
Then at Macworld we see a complete overhaul of the Macbook Pro line, including a nanobook and maybe a tablet sized version too.

if LED screen comes, then it will be "thinner"... which also means there will be a possibility to change the design of the casing.

yoshinatsu
Oct 29, 2007, 07:52 AM
Oh NO, NOT AGAIN, I CAN'T BEAR THAT ANYMORE, I WANT MY MACBOOK!!!!
I've wait for such long time now, I just hope NOW is the time for me to get MY MacBook!!!! Please Apple, PLEASE!!!

Cloudane
Oct 29, 2007, 07:54 AM
Well, I just handed over £950 for an iMac, so won't be upgrading my Powerbook just yet!

Next year may be a different story, I'll have actually paid off the PB by then.

My Predictions:
- Macbook and Macbook Pro merged (after all, they don't do plastic any more) so that they're all basically "Pro"
- All aluminium, possibly a black alu model too
- All glossy screens
- All using the new keyboard style
- Multi-touch trackpad, pinch/zoom to resize the Quicklook view or current window
- Same sizes: 13", 15", 17". The 13" upgraded to Pro hardware (albeit a lower spec processor etc), but same price as current Macbook.
- Mac Mini gets taken out in the crossfire (being based on the old Macbook). Cue disappointment, but something new to follow for the next Mac event.

AdamB60
Oct 29, 2007, 08:02 AM

I'd be happy with a CPU/GPU and LED screen update. I kind of prefer the Black casing to the aluminum. I'm just going to wait this next two Tuesday out because I can't wait too long since I sold my only laptop.

Cybergypsy
Oct 29, 2007, 08:02 AM
I am all ready(dusts off bank card)!

you are old, and so am i :)

John Jacob
Oct 29, 2007, 08:05 AM
What I REALLY want, is a smaller Macbook Pro with a dedicated graphics card, to replace my 12" Powerbook. But failing that, I would consider a thinner lighter Macbook with X1300. Or else I might just go for a 15" Macbook Pro. Oh, decisions, DECISIONS... :(

Telefonkiosk
Oct 29, 2007, 08:09 AM
I think the 13" form factor is pretty okey. Not to small like an 12" and not to big like an 14". Perfect for me:P

I want to get rid of the combodrive!!oneoneone

TooFastForLove
Oct 29, 2007, 08:16 AM

It'd better NOT come with a combo drive!! DVD burners are so cheap now, and (arguably) standard issue.

That aside, I'm seriously considering buying a Macbook whenever the update happens. Don't let me down, Apple! :)

darthraige
Oct 29, 2007, 08:25 AM
MacPro Alert:

Its entirely possible (however I still think unlikely) that Apple could announce new Mac Pros tuesday as well and just say they ship mid/late November.

Holy crap. Come on announcement tomorrow!

thewhitehart
Oct 29, 2007, 08:27 AM
It'd better NOT come with a combo drive!! DVD burners are so cheap now, and (arguably) standard issue.

That aside, I'm seriously considering buying a Macbook whenever the update happens. Don't let me down, Apple! :)

Yeah, Apple is definitely behind the times on this issue. DVD burners have been standard for centuries in computer years :)

Telefonkiosk
Oct 29, 2007, 08:28 AM

Itæs just redicilus with a combodrive in 2007/2008. Apple is plain stupid if they let the combodrive live.

chicagostars
Oct 29, 2007, 08:33 AM

14 days is the standard window for returns under Apple's return policy. If you doing your business at an Apple Store you may have a little leeway here vs. an online purchase (manager's discression), but I can't say for sure.

Also, you should expect the 10% restocking fee to apply here, but again there may be a little bit of flexibility, per manager's decision at an Apple store. The closer we get to the holidays, the higher your likelihood of experiencing flexibility in return policy, especially since you're converting that return directly into another purchase.

Daddy, what's a combo drive?

t0mat0
Oct 29, 2007, 08:39 AM
I'm wondering - seeing as the iPhone is going to be introduced in around 2 weeks for the Uk/ possibly other parts of Europe - wouldn't Apple use that time? Or do you think that an announcement each week is their preferred choice?

meagain
Oct 29, 2007, 08:45 AM
What would people here suggest? Should I take the 10% hit and hold out for another month for the new one if it doesn't release in a week/10 days?
PS - I maybe thrashed for saying this here. I am adopting a MAC for the first time, and everything is a bit overwhelming.

I switched about a year ago and it was overwhelming for me also (mostly because I had to be fully functioning instantly and it was done under duress)...
If I were you I'd hold on to it, count the days, and if something doesn't come out within your 14 day time-frame, return it and hold off till it comes out. It's going to happen so if not this week, soon.

T-Mac
Oct 29, 2007, 08:46 AM
Good news! I am close to being a first-time Mac owner!

I don't know how much different the new Macbooks will be from the current version, but I don't see anyway they update now and then again in early '08. Seems like around 6 months is the minimum time between updates. That would make customers very uncomfortable if you change your product after only a couple of months.

gropo
Oct 29, 2007, 08:49 AM
Please excuse the naive question. Would a MacBook with an X31000 support Quartz Extreme? Or is a separate GPU (ATI/NVIDIA) needed?

Well, Quartz Extreme has been supported as of the first Radeon generation. The question is:

Will the 3100's transform, vertex and lighting hardware sufficiently support Leopard's new goodies, namely Core Animation.

I'm planning on a MacBook for note taking as I'm going back to school in January. I'm pretty convinced that the new SpheltBook will be ideal over a more delicate, hotter Pro. The GPU has been my sole dilemma on the matter.

Perhaps a replacement for the 12" PB will make it's debut as well. *crosses fingers*

Phish311
Oct 29, 2007, 08:56 AM
I use my dvd burner pretty often. Im just curious why people dont like a combo drive and what are the other alternatives. Thanks

Farani
Oct 29, 2007, 08:57 AM
Hello, I am a newbie and got here after purchasing the MacBook on Leopard day.

Anyway, after reading this thread, I am unsure about keeping it or turning it back in.
I hope it comes out within a week/10 days, or else... ??? I don't know. I am not in desperate need of the machine.

Suggestions? Thoughts? Thanks for your help

If it comes out Tuesday, you'll find out very soon how much performance you will gain and you'll also find out if it's worth 10% restocking free. I'd be surprised if it's not out by Nov 6th... either way, you should know first-hand if it's worth losing $100+. Just chill for now.

PS I just converted about 6 weeks ago after a LONG terrible 17 years with a Microsoft PC.

blisters
Oct 29, 2007, 09:03 AM
Oh my!!! :) Is the GMA x3100 acceptable to everyone then? (I really want an aluminum with smaller bezel/footprint)..... please.

no not really. an integrated graphics processor is mickey mouse.

chicagostars
Oct 29, 2007, 09:03 AM
Yes! This is fantastic! I sold my Dell laptop today and I was hoping I wouldn't have to wait too long to make the switch. Here's hoping for tomorrow!

Do the Apple Stores carry new MacBooks the day they come out? I want to avoid waiting for shipping, if possible.

There's nothing absolutely uniform. Some hardware, like the iPhone or the original G5 are advertised well in advance to build and capitalize on buzz. Smaller more incremental updates, like this one is rumored to be, are more often available at time of official announcement, or soon after.

Good luck! Considering the same purchase.

Telefonkiosk
Oct 29, 2007, 09:04 AM
I use my dvd burner pretty often. Im just curious why people dont like a combo drive and what are the other alternatives. Thanks

Combodrive = DVD-reader + CD-burner.
Superdrive = DVD-burner / reader

So I think that the combodrive should die. Apple should bundle every mac with a dvd-burner, because only cd-burner is out of date.

BeefUK
Oct 29, 2007, 09:08 AM
I'm guessing that means the macbooks will be able to support 4GB RAM, anyone any thoughts on that??

meagain
Oct 29, 2007, 09:11 AM
Newbie-ish question..... It's my understanding heat issues are related to graphics cards - yes? What about the Santa Rosa vs. the old? Does that effect heat as well?

Basically asking if the proposed new MacBook would be: Hotter, the same, or cooler than the current version? I don't use laptops on desks and am very concerned about this. In stores, the bottoms of the MacBooks are blazing to me (I'd keep mine running constantly also). I wish they didn't have ANY dvd drive and a SSD dealie.

QCassidy352
Oct 29, 2007, 09:15 AM
I'd be tempted if not for the fact that I just bought leopard for my core duo macbook. Ah well, this macbook serves my needs just fine. :)

KurtangleTN
Oct 29, 2007, 09:19 AM
There are three major things I'd like out of these new Macbooks. I'm going for a refurbished iMac at this point, but a cheaper Macbook could really bring me away from it.

1. Superdrive standard.. how the hell can apple get off having a $1,100 laptop with such crappy specs? 80 gb hd? A gig of ram? and of course the combodrive. All just to force you to go to a real model for $1,300.

2. Cheaper, hopefully a sub-1000 model. More on par with PC prices, instead of much higher.

3. Brushed metal.

flopticalcube
Oct 29, 2007, 09:24 AM
no not really. an integrated graphics processor is mickey mouse.

More like Goofy than Mickey. It brings the integrated GPU into the 19th century from the 18th...

Enjoy

Since the GMA950 supports QE, I would expect the X3100 to as well.

chicagostars
Oct 29, 2007, 09:33 AM

Can't speak for everyone, but I'm using an old 12" PB G4 with a ComboDrive and do feel limited at times. It would be great to have the onboard ability to burn DVDs, whether for movies, data archiving, or some other reason. Not really complaining though, as I've gotten 2.5 good years out of my machine.

I think you'll hear a lot of comments saying that doing away with the ComboDrive makes sense not only to provide more people with onboard dvd burning capability, but also because the cost difference between the two pieces of the hardware (Combo and SuperDrives) is not as great as it was in the past.

Squonk
Oct 29, 2007, 09:33 AM
A shiny new MacBook with SR can only mean great things for the MBP in January. Although the performance difference between SR MB and MBP's will boil down to video performance and a small processor difference. That would sure make it hard to buy a MBP between now and Jan. (yes yes yes, you get FW800 and 15" LED, but if you connect it to an external monitor for most of it's life, the MB is pretty darn good!)

twoodcc
Oct 29, 2007, 09:39 AM
A shiny new MacBook with SR can only mean great things for the MBP in January. Although the performance difference between SR MB and MBP's will boil down to video performance and a small processor difference. That would sure make it hard to buy a MBP between now and Jan. (yes yes yes, you get FW800 and 15" LED, but if you connect it to an external monitor for most of it's life, the MB is pretty darn good!)

yeah i'd say that this will eat into some mbp sales.

so i wonder if this will be the new slim alum version?

timmyb
Oct 29, 2007, 09:48 AM
A couple of queries:

1) Will the new MBs come with Leopard pre-installed, as opposed to Tiger with a DVD dropped-in? (I'm guessing yes.)

2) How long from announcement to shipping in the UK? Instant or a week or so wait? (Also how long would it take for them to appear instore? - again UK.)

Absolutist
Oct 29, 2007, 09:48 AM
I will be buying a new one when they come out. I just have one question. I've asked this in another topic and I got 2 reactions, one saying yes one saying no. So a final answer on this would be nice :).

If I buy the macbook next week, will I be able to order apple care later in the year to extend my warrenty and phone support to 3 years? I assume apple care is the same all over the world (I live in the Netherlands).

Thanks in advance.

tuc
Oct 29, 2007, 09:53 AM

Apple could conceivably do the "ship the hardware now, enable it in software later" trick.

Eidorian
Oct 29, 2007, 09:54 AM

EnjoyQuartz Extreme and Core Image.

Holy crap. Come on announcement tomorrow!Benchmarks yes, it doesn't look like the launch itself was pushed ahead.

AlexGFX88
Oct 29, 2007, 09:57 AM
I will be buying a new one when they come out. I just have one question. I've asked this in another topic and I got 2 reactions, one saying yes one saying no. So a final answer on this would be nice :).

If I buy the macbook next week, will I be able to order apple care later in the year to extend my warrenty and phone support to 3 years? I assume apple care is the same all over the world (I live in the Netherlands).

Thanks in advance.

Yes.

darthraige
Oct 29, 2007, 10:02 AM
Benchmarks yes, it doesn't look like the launch itself was pushed ahead.

That's all I want at this point. I just want to see Apple make the announcement and possibly order to have it shipped whenever they release it.

Farani
Oct 29, 2007, 10:04 AM
That's all I want at this point. I just want to see Apple make the announcement and possibly order to have it shipped whenever they release it.

Yeah same here. I'm tired of sitting in limbo wondering when the damn thing will come out. Just give me a date and time to be at the apple store... And also get my leopard here today so I have something to pass the time.

taeclee99
Oct 29, 2007, 10:05 AM

Apple will let you exchange it of course within the 14 day period. However if the macbook is no longer new in box they will charge you a ten percent restocking fee. Whether the ten percent fee is worth getting an updated macbook is entirely up to you.

qualistarian
Oct 29, 2007, 10:13 AM
I don't know if anybody else has noticed, but Apple has also pulled the refurbs of the last generation of MBs from the online store (going for $800 at last look). This leads me to believe they're setting up the current rev to go on that page.

I hope it happens soon - I'm on the 3rd logic board of my G3 iBook, and it's only a matter of days before it's FUBAR'd too.

happydude
Oct 29, 2007, 10:17 AM
still hoping for a slim/12" something!! anyone out there know how much the 12" PB cost back in the day? i'm in desperate need of a 12" for my traveling job and part time school and would like to have an idea of the $$ when/if something like this comes out . . . maybe tomorrow!?!?!?! :apple::D:apple:

Roba
Oct 29, 2007, 10:22 AM
This happened to me when i was trying to upgrade the HD in a iBook.
I took my iBook to a Mac repair store and somebody very skilled was able to solder it down for me and it worked perfectly after that liked it had never even happened. This repair job cost me £40/$80.

As for putting LED screen into a MB i don't think Apple will do that and keep the price point where it is. The LED screen is more of a premium feature and will therefore carry more of a premium price.
My iBook's HD just failed, and I broke the power connector while trying to replace it.

So I was about to buy a new macbook tomorrow, but now I will wait. I REALLY hope it comes out this Tuesday, or else I will feel terrible purchasing it on Wednesday, and the new one coming out a week later! I might just end up waiting till it is released, though...

KissStephanie
Oct 29, 2007, 10:26 AM
I think any sort of case redesign would take place in 2008 and be part of a big keynote.Anything is possible, but that is unlikely in my opinion. Again, if Apple releases an updated MacBook this week as expected, then I don't expect to see another update for six months. I don't think that a big keynote will be needed for a case redesign either, just as there wasn't for the new current iMac's. Why should a new MacBook receive a keynote when the current iMac only received a press statement when announced?

Therefore, it's quite possible that this MacBook will be aluminium with black, to break away from white and to closer match the new iMac, with Santa Rosa and improved graphics. Then the next MacBook in around May of next year to be a minor upgrade from that. I doubt Apple ever puts a real GPU into their low end laptops. That's arguably the biggest selling point for the MBP, after all.This new MacBook will include much improved integrated graphics of course.

chicagostars
Oct 29, 2007, 10:32 AM

Thanks in advance.

The standard policy is that you have until the end of your one year warranty to purchase AppleCare to extend coverage to a total of three years from date of purchase.

If you are buying your MacBook and your AppleCare in the same country as well as registering there, it's all pretty simple. I haven't seen any recent developments, but you shouldn't have any issue if you're buying the MacBook and one country (e.g. the US) and your AppleCare in another (e.g. the Netherlands). I would just check to be 100% sure. (anyone else have an answer here?)

Whoshnot
Oct 29, 2007, 10:35 AM
So I think that the combodrive should die. Apple should bundle every mac with a dvd-burner, because only cd-burner is out of date.
Unless Apple releases a very thin ultra-portable without an optical drive...

but that's just for Steve to decide ;)

Oct 29, 2007, 10:36 AM
Why should a new MacBook receive a keynote when the current iMac only received a press statement when announced?

The current (aluminum) iMacs were announced as part of an event, not with just a press release.

KissStephanie
Oct 29, 2007, 10:46 AM
The current (aluminum) iMacs were announced as part of an event, not with just a press release.Yes, they were announced at a press event (http://www.macrumors.com/2007/08/07/new-imacs-released/). My point was that they weren't announced in a keynote, and I don't think that aluminium MacBooks need to be either.

droo94
Oct 29, 2007, 10:50 AM
still hoping for a slim/12" something!! anyone out there know how much the 12" PB cost back in the day? i'm in desperate need of a 12" for my traveling job and part time school and would like to have an idea of the $$ when/if something like this comes out . . . maybe tomorrow!?!?!?! :apple::D:apple:

When I got mine in early 2005 it was $1,699 USD for 512MB RAM and the SuperDrive. I believe it was $1,499 with the ComboDrive.

MacBlackBook22
Oct 29, 2007, 10:52 AM

Same here... the price should be at least on par with the US store and really it should be below the cost. I am going to be talking to the apple store here in Canada. I want to buy a mac pro and the build I want is about $600 more than it would be in the states and that is unacceptable

stephenc92
Oct 29, 2007, 10:54 AM
Intel's GMA line sucks - get some dedicated in there :p

flopticalcube
Oct 29, 2007, 10:56 AM
Same here... the price should be at least on par with the US store and really it should be below the cost. I am going to be talking to the apple store here in Canada. I want to buy a mac pro and the build I want is about $600 more than it would be in the states and that is unacceptable

You won't see actual numbers below US prices until we reach US$1.08 to US$1.10. I would expect parity for the MacBook (in numbers if not in currency).

Intel's GMA line sucks - get some dedicated in there :p

It will be the X3100 and nothing more. "suckage" is relative.

hob
Oct 29, 2007, 10:59 AM
What I REALLY want, is a smaller Macbook Pro with a dedicated graphics card, to replace my 12" Powerbook.

You and me both, mate...

juxtaposer
Oct 29, 2007, 11:00 AM
So the news about the GMA X3100 kext has finally made it to the front page! :)
This is the news that I've been waiting weeks for. I'm not too bothered about the Alu design, but SR and GMA X3100 should be enough to convince me that it will be worth the wait.
Now, just the Mac Pro update left to wait for!

Stella
Oct 29, 2007, 11:03 AM

I'm hoping ( though, not optimistic ) that Apple will take the opportunity to revise the MBP pricing too ( and all other hardware) ...

I very much doubt CA pricing will be the same as US.. owing to any import taxs etc etc, but a reduced price gap will be much welcome.

anotherarunan
Oct 29, 2007, 11:10 AM
My guess is that the press are going to recieve invites to an event/keynote thing next week...hence the Nov 6th thing! :D see the logic! Enabling all the aluminium casing/re-design rumours to kick off like mad in the next 7 days! ;)

Eidorian
Oct 29, 2007, 11:11 AM
My guess is that the press are going to recieve invites to an event/keynote thing next week...hence the Nov 6th thing! :D see the logic! Enabling all the aluminium casing/re-design rumours to kick off like mad in the next 7 days! ;)I expect a silent update just like the Macbook Pro.

lacohido
Oct 29, 2007, 11:13 AM
I just want a MAC PRO already, damn it! Its been too long... I know if I upgrade now I'll be disappoited by an update in a month :mad:

anotherarunan
Oct 29, 2007, 11:15 AM
I just want a MAC PRO already, damn it! Its been too long... I know if I upgrade now I'll be disappoited by an update in a month :mad:

ebay...the answer to life's problems :D

Farani
Oct 29, 2007, 11:20 AM
The current (aluminum) iMacs were announced as part of an event, not with just a press release.

wasn't it at the WWDC? They also ran a tv spot for the new imac, too. Doubt you'll see that with the macbook update.

Ropedartman
Oct 29, 2007, 11:24 AM
There is no way they will update Macbook in Nov. and then again in January. The next update would be summer '08. Can :apple: really wait that long to have a consolidated (read: aluminum) product line? Never fear MBP people, I think Jan. will show an all-new, really cool product!

doctor newb
Oct 29, 2007, 11:43 AM
Well im anxiously waiting for this. My 3 year old imac is starting to show its age. All though it runs leopard well it is just plain slow at editing video. I hope they upgrade the hard drives. You can buy a laptop for 800 that has 2gb's of ram and a 250gb hard drive.

flopticalcube
Oct 29, 2007, 11:45 AM
Well im anxiously waiting for this. My 3 year old imac is starting to show its age. All though it runs leopard well it is just plain slow at editing video. I hope they upgrade the hard drives. You can buy a laptop for 800 that has 2gb's of ram and a 250gb hard drive.

I suspect the HD will get a big boost, don't know about the RAM as Apple likes to make serious coin on that. My year old 120G MB feels cramped now.

Ropedartman
Oct 29, 2007, 11:45 AM
I expect a silent update just like the Macbook Pro.

I agree...

Eidorian
Oct 29, 2007, 11:46 AM
I agree...Which makes me wonder why users are expecting an event of some sort. :confused:

Ropedartman
Oct 29, 2007, 11:50 AM
Which makes me wonder why users are expecting an event of some sort. :confused:

An event would signify some sort of dramatic change...a silent update might leave a lot of those people disappointed when it is relatively minor compared to some of the rumors floating around (e.g. multitouch, screen sizes, etc).

jholzner
Oct 29, 2007, 11:59 AM
wasn't it at the WWDC? They also ran a tv spot for the new imac, too. Doubt you'll see that with the macbook update.

Nope, it wasn't at WWDC. It was an August 7th press event. But, they also released iLife 08 at that event so it was more than just the iMac. If the MB is only getting SR, it will be a quiet update I'm guessing.

Eidorian
Oct 29, 2007, 12:00 PM
An event would signify some sort of dramatic change...a silent update might leave a lot of those people disappointed when it is relatively minor compared to some of the rumors floating around (e.g. multitouch, screen sizes, etc).I only expect to see Santa Rosa.

Aluminum might come as well but I don't think there needs to be that much fanfare over it.

B. Hunter
Oct 29, 2007, 12:04 PM
Makes sense.
No need for an update in January if the MB is updated tomorrow.

At MWSF the focus will be on revising the MBP.

And hopefully more about programs for the iPod Phone & Touch!

Thomas2006
Oct 29, 2007, 12:18 PM
Apple is not going to do a speed bump now and a design change in January. The iPod and iMac have gone from plastic to aluminum and glass so I expect the MacBook to ditch the plastic and get aluminum and glass. The iBook morphed into the MacBook without any fanfare, so changing the case design won't be anything "special". Steve will use MacWorld to introduce new hardware such as a new notebook and/or another tower model.

tkn1972
Oct 29, 2007, 12:24 PM
so I got bit by leopard and went out and got me a macbook...and this morning I opened it and started setting it up...and I see that new stuff is coming tomorrow or soon...argh!!!!!!!!!!!

what do you guys suppose I could do? should I return this thing? can I return it? thanks

Zuwxiv
Oct 29, 2007, 12:44 PM
so I got bit by leopard and went out and got me a macbook...and this morning I opened it and started setting it up...and I see that new stuff is coming tomorrow or soon...argh!!!!!!!!!!!

what do you guys suppose I could do? should I return this thing? can I return it? thanks

If you opened it, I think there's a 10% restocking fee if returned within 14 days. See if they actually do update it tomorrow or next Tuesday; test in in the store. If it seems worth the $110-$150 for the upgrade, then just return it and pay the fee. In the meantime, if it's already opened, just enjoy your new MacBook.

darthraige
Oct 29, 2007, 12:50 PM

Or 1-2 weeks. :D

blisters
Oct 29, 2007, 12:57 PM

why should Apple take it back?

YOU are the one that ****ed up. Deal with it.

GodWhomIsMike
Oct 29, 2007, 12:59 PM
Here is what I would like to see with the new Macbook:

- Santa Rosa Chipset
- GMA X3100 graphics
- optional 7200rpm hard drive
- up to 4GB of ram.

JSpence
Oct 29, 2007, 01:00 PM
why should Apple take it back?

YOU are the one that ****ed up. Deal with it.

Wrong. He didn't 'f' up. He merely made a purchase and found out at a later time that a new one is soon to be released. Yes, likely he did not do his homework on the purchase, but not a serious mistake. The return policy will allow him to take it back for the restocking fee.
Try not to get around the word filter, it's there for a reason.

droz
Oct 29, 2007, 01:04 PM
Doesn't anyone else think that this graphics chip & santa rosa are also a good candidate for the mac mini? Why just the macbook? Seems like the mac mini is really the one that needs the update.

tom123
Oct 29, 2007, 01:06 PM
I don't understand why people want a thinner macbook.

Smaller screen would be nice for us that move it around and connect to a monitor.

darthraige
Oct 29, 2007, 01:09 PM
Doesn't anyone else think that this graphics chip & santa rosa are also a good candidate for the mac mini? Why just the macbook? Seems like the mac mini is really the one that needs the update.

MacMini just had an update and is on the verge of death. lol

tiagocarraro
Oct 29, 2007, 01:12 PM

Macbook is :apple:'s top seller! They need to get it refreshed for holidays!
Mac mini has been updated recently (2 months ago)!!

I'm happy if the update comes tomorrow:
* Santa rosa
* bigger hard drives
* X3100
* No combo drive

That's enough for me!
Of course I would be glad with a new black aluminium design and backlight keyboard...but I doubt it! :o

henkebarn
Oct 29, 2007, 01:14 PM
http://hpshopping.speedera.net/www.shopping.hp.com/shopping/images/overview/nb_twist_tx1000_7-27.jpg
I wonder if they're going to introduce something like this in january with the MBPs? It's pretty neat.

On topic: I REALLY hope for aluminum! But in the same time, don't they want us to be able to easily know the difference between the MB and the MBP?

Brianstorm91
Oct 29, 2007, 01:18 PM
Tablets are ugly and don't really work well, in my opinion.

Loudwater
Oct 29, 2007, 01:20 PM

There's not going to be that much difference between the MB and MB Pro, should the Macbook get the anticipated upgrade ( apart from a huge price difference ).

That's another reason I decided to wait. Leopard came out par price in Canada. So I guess (or at least) hope that's the sign Apple realizes the current exchange rate in product pricing. I don't even mind if it's just a little bit higher than the US price, for a symbol. =)

I expect a silent update just like the Macbook Pro.

Whichever kind... I'm just so excited now. It makes my one week waiting time shrink to 24 hours anticipation. You know sometimes you really hate this kind of rumours. LOL It'd better be true...

schreck
Oct 29, 2007, 01:21 PM
Tablets are ugly and don't really work well, in my opinion.

Agreed. I'd really dislike it if Apple wasted their time introducing a tablet. It'd be a serious waste of design energy, in my opinion-it just really doesn't seem all that intuitive to me.

scientia
Oct 29, 2007, 01:22 PM
http://hpshopping.speedera.net/www.shopping.hp.com/shopping/images/overview/nb_twist_tx1000_7-27.jpg
I wonder if they're going to introduce something like this in january with the MBPs? It's pretty neat.

On topic: I REALLY hope for aluminum! But in the same time, don't they want us to be able to easily know the difference between the MB and the MBP?

Is that supposed to be a convertible tablet? UGH that's the whole reason I'm switching to mac. I have a gateway convertible and I hate it. It's less than 2 yrs old and it's already falling apart

Oh and Blisters clam down there's no reason to jump all over someone, if you don't like what he says than just ignore it.

droz
Oct 29, 2007, 01:30 PM
hmmm, i respectfully disagree that the mini had a recent update. I understand that it was ever so slightly refreshed but no real change to the chip architecture (santa rosa) or graphics, or Wireless N. It was such an insignificant change that it didn't even make the agenda (recall that it was refreshed the same day as other formal announcements) and was only noticed by people who were shopping the online store after the event.

Is mini a dead product line? possibly. if that's the case then i'd like to see a new mid-range compact desktop with these specs to replace it.

rhpenguin
Oct 29, 2007, 01:33 PM
the x3100 driver also works with the older x3000 gma chipset.

Just gotta change the device ID numbers in the info.plist

darthraige
Oct 29, 2007, 01:40 PM

That's just the name of the game though. I felt bad for this couple that were in the Apple Store and were buying an iPod... Three days before the new ones were released. I knew about the new ones, but some people just don't pay attention to upcoming releases.

Not sure if you can return it. I would think you can under 15-30 day warranty or something. But it all depends on what you plan on doing with the MacBook. If its just for simple stuff, you really won't notice a speed increase if the current high end is going to be the new low end. I mean, the new one would fly, but it all depends on what you need to do with it.

I just bought one in September and knew of the updated ones coming out around now. But I still bought. And let me tell you. I am extremely happy with it. It blows away my G4 Powerbook. I say keep it. That and I would do anything for Leopard on it right now. :)

veneficuss
Oct 29, 2007, 01:43 PM
I am looking to get my very first Apple macbook soon, not sure I want to spend so much $$ on a MBP, ive seen comparable notebooks for much less that run Windows. Yes, Leopard only costs $129, but IMO hundreds more are spent on the hardware profit margin. As a software engineer I totally understand why Apple wants to control the hardware their OS runs on (it just makes it easier to make robust), but as someone who hates monopolistic policies, I wonder how much marketshare they can continue to grab if everyone will be forced to buy Apple only hardware, which is certainly great, but as a consumer I like different brand options to keep things competitive. If Apple does a design change to the MB, I will bite and finally begin to free myself from that other monopolistic giant, Microsoft. It will be nice to buy actual computer hardware from an American Company for once, even if it is more expensive than the imports :)

rhpenguin
Oct 29, 2007, 01:47 PM
It will be nice to buy actual computer hardware from an American Company for once, even if it is more expensive than the imports :)

Hate to rain on your parade, but the machine is still made in China. And all the internals are from Intel and who knows where they're designed..

All Apple does anymore is slap some premade stuff together. Nothing like the old PPC days.

azulchica
Oct 29, 2007, 01:49 PM
I really hope the update doesn't have an aluminum case. Unless they're able to magically fix the wifi issue...

bananas
Oct 29, 2007, 02:03 PM
I don't understand why people want a thinner macbook.

Smaller screen would be nice for us that move it around and connect to a monitor.

I want a lighter MacBook, if that makes it thinner too that's fine with me.

KindredMAC
Oct 29, 2007, 02:07 PM
Wrong. He didn't 'f' up. He merely made a purchase and found out at a later time that a new one is soon to be released. Yes, likely he did not do his homework on the purchase, but not a serious mistake. The return policy will allow him to take it back for the restocking fee.
Try not to get around the word filter, it's there for a reason.

He/She has been a member since April 2007. By that time on these boards, they should know that MacBooks traditionally drop in April/May and October/November.

Besides, I always triple check on all of these pages before I make an Apple purchase to be sure that nothing is coming out soon.

That's how I got my 4GB iPhone. After reading all of the stories and posts leading up to the iPod conference, I decided to wait to buy my iPhone, and in turn I got it for $299 in the discontinued store.

Why else does Arn bust his ass to feature the BUYER'S GUIDE tab at the top of the page?

dcorban
Oct 29, 2007, 02:11 PM
I actually like the current MacBook case. I would be interested in a 15" option, but otherwise it can stay the same. Like some other people here, I would be happy with the update simply being Santa Rosa & X3100.

Oh, and a lower price for us here in Canada.

On black friday of 2006, I came extremely close to buying the then-new MacBooks. At the time, iLife & Leopard were supposedly just around the corner, so I decided to wait.

And wait.

And wait.

Finally the wait will be over.

I considered waiting until this year's black friday (10% off), but only if the MacBooks weren't released until the 2nd or 3rd week. If it is this week, forget it. I will immediately place my order online and be happy with my 2% coupon.

Telefonkiosk
Oct 29, 2007, 02:16 PM
I actually like the current MacBook case. I would be interested in a 15" option, but otherwise it can stay the same. Like some other people here, I would be happy with the update simply being Santa Rosa & X3100.

Oh, and a lower price for us here in Canada.

On black friday of 2006, I came extremely close to buying the then-new MacBooks. At the time, iLife & Leopard were supposedly just around the corner, so I decided to wait.

And wait.

And wait.

Finally the wait will be over.

I considered waiting until this year's black friday (10% off), but only if the MacBooks weren't released until the 2nd or 3rd week. If it is this week, forget it. I will immediately place my order online and be happy with my 2% coupon.

Ditto! I'm going to order right after the new macbooks hits the stores. Really hope it will be tomorrow. And i really hope apple updates the norwegian macbook pages parallell with the US macbook pages.

And with SR and X3100 Safari will maybe seem even more snappier.

juxtaposer
Oct 29, 2007, 02:18 PM
Yes he did **** up. How long have people been talking about an updated MacBook, two, three months now? Lack of planning on his part doesn't mean Apple should have to take it back.

WAHHHHH....I bought a new computer but I just found out a new one might be coming out tomorrow....WAHHHHHHH....I don't want it anymore....WAHHHHH....I want to return it....WAHHHHHH

Wow. Some people get a bit carried away with Apple returns! :confused:
Anyway, if you bought a Macbook a couple of weeks back, I'm sure you bought it for a good reason. Just remember that it still does the job just as well and it is just the same machine as when you bought it. If you feel ripped off with Apple's secrecy with their updates, then you have every right to take it back within 14 days. Only problem is that you may have to pay the 10% re-stocking fee.
Hope that helps :)

mdriftmeyer
Oct 29, 2007, 02:23 PM

When the Intel Penryn is to be hitting the shelves you'll see a Mac Pro. To release before hand would be pointless.