PDA

View Full Version : Apple to Reach 5 Million iPhones Sold by Macworld?

MacRumors
Dec 21, 2007, 02:32 PM
http://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com)

9to5mac claims (http://9to5mac.com/5-million-iphones-4235654546345) that Apple will reach approximately 5 million in iPhone sales by Macworld San Francisco in January 2008 which would bring them half way to their goal of 10 million iPhones sold by the end of 2008.

According to 9to5mac's sources, approximately 1 million of these sales are through Europe, despite reports (http://news.yahoo.com/s/nf/20071205/bs_nf/57082) of sluggish sales. The news comes shortly after reports that iPhone's sales (http://www.roughlydrafted.com/2007/12/14/canalys-symbian-apple-iphone-already-leads-windows-mobile-in-us-market-share-q3-2007/) have exceeded Windows mobile marketshare by capturing approximately 27% of the smartphone market this past quarter.

These rumored sales numbers are difficult to verify, but would represent a significant acceleration of sales since their one millionth sale, which took place in September. Apple's iPhone sales, however, may have been spurred by the $200 price drop that also took place in September. If these numbers are true, Steve Jobs will likely announce them during the Macworld Expo Keynote on January 15th.

Article Link (http://www.macrumors.com/2007/12/21/apple-to-reach-5-million-iphones-sold-by-macworld/)

Yebot
Dec 21, 2007, 02:34 PM
That's a lot

Peace
Dec 21, 2007, 02:35 PM
Sounds like they're on target.

CANEHDN
Dec 21, 2007, 02:35 PM
That's great news. I love seeing specs like this. Knowing that Microsoft is pissing themselves over it.

paddy
Dec 21, 2007, 02:36 PM
1,000,000 in the E.U.?! God I didnt think we'd take so kindly to the cost of an iPhone, us with our cheap mobiles!

siurpeeman
Dec 21, 2007, 02:39 PM
that's a very big number. but considering how many of them i see and the demographic of those i see them with, it's certainly possible.

psychofreak
Dec 21, 2007, 02:42 PM

More than on target, they wanter 10m by the end of 2008...

matthewHUB
Dec 21, 2007, 02:48 PM
they may easily reach 20 million by the end of 2008, especially if they introduce iphone 2. then they'll have 2% of the cellphone market. If iPhone catches on for businesses too, their sales will skyrocket.

Rot'nApple
Dec 21, 2007, 02:49 PM

If the 5 million number is true, that's great news.

Like any business that puts forth a new product for the masses, Apple always takes a chance of whether their new product will be a hit or a miss.

Apple always seems to pick a conservative number as their goal so that when they hit it with a few months to spare, look out stock price!

Which, as a small shareholder, is okay by me!!!:D

psychofreak
Dec 21, 2007, 02:51 PM
Apple always seems to pick a conservative number as their goal so that when they hit it with a few months to spare, look out stock price!

Doesn't look like the AppleTV has hit targets...

mainstreetmark
Dec 21, 2007, 02:53 PM
If these numbers are true, Steve Jobs will likely announce them during the Macworld Expo Keynote on January 15th.

Article Link (http://www.macrumors.com/2007/12/21/apple-to-reach-5-million-iphones-sold-by-macworld/)

Yep, I reckon he will. At every MacWorld, there's always a big speech about how cool the iPod is, that seems to last forever. I'm sure the iPodiness will be replaced by lots of hooting about the iPhone. No one pays attention.

Everyone starts to listen when he says, "Today, we have some exciting things to show you...."

Project
Dec 21, 2007, 02:58 PM
5m by January? I can't quite see it. I'd love it to be true though.

Peace
Dec 21, 2007, 02:59 PM

True but keep in mind sales will slow as the iPhone gets near the end of it's worldwide rollout.
Now if we count the second Gen. iPhone in the 10M target I can see Apple being ahead of it's target because a lot of people will buy the rev.b iPhone in 2008.

psychofreak
Dec 21, 2007, 03:00 PM
Everyone starts to listen when he says, "Today, we have some exciting things to show you...."

Or hopefully "and to go with the 5m sold, we're giving you developers a treat: the SDK a month early" :)

MacsRgr8
Dec 21, 2007, 03:03 PM

Let's state the obvious:

- iPhone is cool and excellent to use.

-  TV... is eh... what? iPod that needs a TV...?

I bought one.... (ahum) just because I wanted to know what it felt like. :D
Gave it to my Dad, and my Mac mini Core Duo is happily hooked up to my TV again. ;)

Consultant
Dec 21, 2007, 03:08 PM
Hope that number is right, but at this time, most likely NO ONE outside of a small group within Apple would know whether those numbers are right!

Glenny2lappies
Dec 21, 2007, 03:15 PM
Doesn't add up. From all the early figures; 1M in Sept, disappointing sales in the UK; general lack of seeing the iPhone everywhere.

Sure, it's won our hearts, but unlikely to win our heads:- Edge not 3G, massively overpriced contracts, missing features, version 1 product, etc.

Of course I could be wrong. But so could 9to5Mac.

emotion
Dec 21, 2007, 03:35 PM
Cue European price drop to hit targets (ie. I think on current sales those numbers are optimistic).

UK price will drop to £200 (for the 8G) in January. Hopefully I'll get a £50 shop voucher for my loyalty in picking up an early phone ;)

I even think a further price cut will come to the US too.

InkMaster
Dec 21, 2007, 03:39 PM
Sigh... first everyone starts buying iPods, now iPhones! :p How're we supposed to feel special??? :p

ImAlwaysRight
Dec 21, 2007, 03:41 PM
I'd buy an iPhone if it didn't cost me so much more to use. I'd have to pay $30/month more for a new plan with an equivalent amount of minutes compared to the awesome shared plan I have now (with no contract), plus I would need pay $20/mo for the data package. So it would cost me $600 more annually just to use an iPhone, not to mention the cost of the iPhone itself.

Bah, I'm just gonna stick with my Moto SLVR L7 w/iTunes which is smaller and lighter anyway.

theBB
Dec 21, 2007, 03:43 PM
If true, that would be a great success, but I doubt they sold five million. Yes, holiday shopping season may have spurred large sales recently, but still 5 mil is a lot. 3 or 4, maybe but 5???

twoodcc
Dec 21, 2007, 03:44 PM
i hope the numbers are right

juanm
Dec 21, 2007, 03:46 PM
Hope that number is right, but at this time, most likely NO ONE outside of a small group within Apple would know whether those numbers are right!

Ahem... You forget the surprising accuracy of 9to5mac... They have clearly an insider on their payroll...

seedster2
Dec 21, 2007, 03:49 PM
I cannot believe that people aren't doubtful. Those numbers seem EXTREMELY optimistic!

iDAG
Dec 21, 2007, 03:52 PM
9to5mac has yet to be wrong. I wish I could get an iPhone but I'm a little deprived on cash right now...

FightTheFuture
Dec 21, 2007, 04:02 PM
two of my coworkers just bought iPhones today after getting their bonuses. i think the demand is still there - most people just need the extra money to fork over for one.

meanwhile people i know with a blackberry or treo or either waiting for iPhone to get on 3G, waiting for at&t to get as good as verizon or for the vaporware phone (android). so you either have people waiting it out or getting the money together. that being said, i think that getting to 10 mil by 08 is possible. especially if they update to 3G and/or add GPS. then i'll be using my bonus to replace my iPhone with iPhone2 as well!

inkswamp
Dec 21, 2007, 04:02 PM

I don't recall Apple stating any sales targets for it either so I'm not sure what point you're trying to make. Likewise, there wasn't massive advertising and hype for the AppleTV like the iPhone. I think Apple sees the AppleTV as a foot-in-the-water kind of product that is there in the event they see a sudden need for something in the entertainment/media center market.

However, having said that and sounding like an Apple apologist, I think it's a badly conceived product. Not because of what it does (which I hear it does very well) but rather because of the obvious omissions. For example, I might have considered buying one if it just had a freakin' DVD slot. With that, Apple could position it not only as a digital movie device, but also as a DVD/CD player replacement. That seems like a no-brainer.

psychofreak
Dec 21, 2007, 04:04 PM
I don't recall Apple stating any sales targets for it either so I'm not sure what point you're trying to make.They clearly had internal targets, and it doesn't look like the product has done nearly as well as Apple hoped...

dongmin
Dec 21, 2007, 04:13 PM
they may easily reach 20 million by the end of 2008, especially if they introduce iphone 2. then they'll have 2% of the cellphone market. If iPhone catches on for businesses too, their sales will skyrocket.

20 m is pretty aggressive. But then again, I know a lot of people, like myself, are waiting for the 2nd generation to take the plunge... especially if Apple comes out with 3rd party apps, larger storage, and 3g compatibility.

pdjudd
Dec 21, 2007, 04:13 PM
They clearly had internal targets, and it doesn't look like the product has done nearly as well as Apple hoped...
Unless someone cas say what those targets are, we can only guess. Jobs was pretty open that it was a hobby project.

emotion
Dec 21, 2007, 04:19 PM
They clearly had internal targets, and it doesn't look like the product has done nearly as well as Apple hoped...

It is a "hobby" project. At least this hobby saw the light of day unlike the Pippin (remember that?).

Apple need to get into bed with Nintendo on this. OR backtrack on the downloading model and include twin DVR tuners (which would be different in each territory...ie. tricky).

Neither is especially likely however. Which is a shame.

...back to the topic. Maybe Apple think that the new firmware to drop in Feb alongside the SDK is compelling enough to drive sales to those levels. It's not impossible that the new firmware is that good (sandboxing, signing, a2dp, notes and todos have all appeared in OSX with Leopard, maybe this will come to mobile OSX too?)

Imagine a YouTube app (video recording), MMS, Stereo bluetooth headphones, cut and paste, notes and todo syncing, improved mail, 3rd party apps from some big names, a couple of games. All announced at the same time....and maybe a price cut. Now watch sales (in the UK at least) pick up then.

Particularly if O2 get on with EDGE roll out and publish that coverage map they've been promising forever.

Virgil-TB2
Dec 21, 2007, 04:21 PM
Ahem... You forget the surprising accuracy of 9to5mac... They have clearly an insider on their payroll...I would still take this with a grain of salt.

9to5Mac has only shown that they have a traitor at one of the assembling factories in China that is on their payroll. They have given no indication that they actually have any real sources inside Apple itself.

The reports 9to5 has been 100% accurate on (both of them :p ), were clearly based on (and mentioned as such by 9to5 themselves), ... someone at a factory in China telling them what they saw on the assembly line.

This story is something else again, (probably just an estimate based on already released figures) and is probably not related to the traitor at the factory, unless Apple shares its sales figures with the manufacturing plant.

Sadly, "made up stuff" and the leaks of paid informants are the only kind of rumour we have to look forward to nowadays. The original rumour sites like "Mac OS Rumors" and "Think Secret" were based on some cool person who had other cool friends that worked at Apple who were willing to drop a few cool (and obscure), hints without (mostly) violating their disclosure agreements.

Through a lot of casual "geek talk" with friends at Apple, many things could be discerned that did not really do any harm to Apple itself. The presenters of the early rumour sites, being geeks themselves, then filled things in with a bit of intelligent speculation and guesswork.

None of these "leakers" at Apple would have anything to do with today's more juvenile money-oriented rumour sites like 9to5Mac, and Gizmodo. They just aren't professional enough (or dare I say it "cool" enough), to have those kinds of connections.

Today's sites have to rely on less moral avenues of information to get anywhere at all, but IMO they are hampered by the fact that they are neither smart enough, nor experienced enough to figure out anything they are not explicitly being told by their "sources." This makes them on the one hand more accurate (they are simply passing on "real" stolen information), but on the other hand both less interesting and more damaging to Apple than the leakers that preceded them.

Consultant
Dec 21, 2007, 04:24 PM
two of my coworkers just bought iPhones today after getting their bonuses. i think the demand is still there - most people just need the extra money to fork over for one.

meanwhile people i know with a blackberry or treo or either waiting for iPhone to get on 3G, waiting for at&t to get as good as verizon or for the vaporware phone (android). so you either have people waiting it out or getting the money together. that being said, i think that getting to 10 mil by 08 is possible. especially if they update to 3G and/or add GPS. then i'll be using my bonus to replace my iPhone with iPhone2 as well!

Heck I have already bought double digit count of iPhones already =p

lazyrighteye
Dec 21, 2007, 04:24 PM
Aapl + 6.70

Consultant
Dec 21, 2007, 04:26 PM
I would still take this with a grain of salt.

9to5Mac has only shown that they have a traitor at one of the assembling factories in China that is on their payroll. They have given no indication that they actually have any real sources inside Apple itself.

The reports 9to5 has been 100% accurate on (both of them :p ), were clearly based on (and mentioned as such by 9to5 themselves), ... someone at a factory in China telling them what they saw on the assembly line.

Yup agreed that everyone should be cautious of the number, but the best case scenario is maybe the person on the assembly line has been counting iPhones non-stop since day 1. ;)

SiliconAddict
Dec 21, 2007, 04:33 PM
I would love to know how many of those are on ATT and how many aren't. Honestly I have an allergic reaction to ATT....my fingers are now itchy from just typing the word out. Hate, despise, loath...there is no word in the English language that denotes the complete and utter contempt I have for that company. I was with Crapular for 6 months with a company I was working at...I would have never thought such a reaction could be formed in a 6 month period but it can..The games that were played on my corp account....defied belief if not the law. In retrospect I should have probably written something up to the BBB but meh *shrugs*.

Aapl + 6.70

*stiff breeze* AAPL + 2

What's new here? Apple and buzz are invariably tied to one another.

TurboSC
Dec 21, 2007, 04:39 PM
wow it seems just like yesterday I ripped open the package to my iPhone in excitement... 5 million already... compare that to the original iPod 1 million sold... sheesh Apple is on a roll.

joeshell383
Dec 21, 2007, 05:06 PM
http://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com)

9to5mac claims (http://9to5mac.com/5-million-iphones-4235654546345) that Apple will reach approximately 5 million in iPhone sales by Macworld San Francisco in January 2008 which would bring them half way to their goal of 10 million iPhones sold by the end of 2008.

According to 9to5mac's sources, approximately 1 million of these sales are through Europe, despite reports (http://news.yahoo.com/s/nf/20071205/bs_nf/57082) of sluggish sales. The news comes shortly after reports that iPhone's sales (http://www.roughlydrafted.com/2007/12/14/canalys-symbian-apple-iphone-already-leads-windows-mobile-in-us-market-share-q3-2007/) have exceeded Windows mobile marketshare by capturing approximately 27% of the smartphone market this past quarter.

These rumored sales numbers are difficult to verify, but would represent a significant acceleration of sales since their one millionth sale, which took place in September. Apple's iPhone sales, however, may have been spurred by the $200 price drop that also took place in September. If these numbers are true, Steve Jobs will likely announce them during the Macworld Expo Keynote on January 15th.

To Arn and everybody else who has posted so far, this was NOT their goal! It is a very common misconception! The goal, as clearly stated by SJ at MWSF 2007 was to sell 10 million IN calendar year 2008! This would give Apple approx. 1% of CY 2008 total cellphones sold.

DMann
Dec 21, 2007, 05:18 PM

Yes, on target to exceed the forecast by a factor of 2 x.

Mike Teezie
Dec 21, 2007, 05:20 PM
I believe it. Almost every single one of my friends has an iPhone, and most of my professional colleagues have them as well.

It's kind of wild.

TurboSC
Dec 21, 2007, 05:48 PM
I believe it. Almost every single one of my friends has an iPhone, and most of my professional colleagues have them as well.

It's kind of wild.

where do you live? I still don't see many people in Georgia with iPhones... :/ I'm sure the numbers are growing, or I'm just blind.

NewSc2
Dec 21, 2007, 06:02 PM
That number seems high. It took them from June to September to sell 1 million... 4 million in October/November seems hard. I'd believe 3-4 million. I'd think consumer's existing phone contracts would prevent a massive buying spree.

Dagless
Dec 21, 2007, 06:07 PM
Talk about a blindness hiccup - I thought it said 5 million iPods sold and thought to myself "hey that's a lot of iPods!"

Silly me. They've likely sold 5 billion iPods after all :o

arn
Dec 21, 2007, 06:19 PM

I disagree. the iPod Nano photo (http://www.slipperybrick.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/08/new-video-ipod-nano-widescreen.jpg) was clearly not a photo from the factory line. It appeared to be promotional photos.

They also had early photos (http://www.macrumors.com/2007/06/25/iphone-photos/) of the iPhone before they were publicly released, as well as a release date (http://www.macrumors.com/2007/07/17/imac-revision-and-ilife-on-august-7th/) for the new iMac which was accurate.

9to5mac clearly has some inside sources that arn't simply sitting on the factory line in China, and I trust their judgement when posting items.

arn

lord patton
Dec 21, 2007, 06:42 PM
Does MacWorld come before or after Apple reports 1st Qtr 2008 earnings?

psychofreak
Dec 21, 2007, 06:46 PM
Silly me. They've likely sold 5 billion iPods after all :o

They've sold 120million in 6 years, with the rate of sales greatly increased in the past 2 years or so...it won't be that surprising if they eventually get 5 billion...if you include products that will inevitably be spin-offs, like the iPhone...

stainlessliquid
Dec 21, 2007, 06:46 PM
Im guessing 5million isnt a whole lot to the phone market, I still have not seen any iphones in public. The only iPhone Ive seen in my whole life has been in an ATT display.

They seem to only be popular in certain markets like the big cities, or the ones where ATT has huge marketshare. In my kind of small city of 45k I have yet to see one, by around this time when the RAZR came out I had already seen a handful, then when the black RAZR came out it just exploded and almost everyone I saw on the phone had a black RAZR. It could also be related to the fact that not a lot of people have ATT here since Cingular was the last one to setup service, by far most have Sprint.

clevin
Dec 21, 2007, 06:52 PM
I don't recall Apple stating any sales targets for it either so I'm not sure what point you're trying to make. Likewise, there wasn't massive advertising and hype for the AppleTV like the iPhone. I think Apple sees the AppleTV as a foot-in-the-water kind of product that is there in the event they see a sudden need for something in the entertainment/media center market.

However, having said that and sounding like an Apple apologist, I think it's a badly conceived product. Not because of what it does (which I hear it does very well) but rather because of the obvious omissions. For example, I might have considered buying one if it just had a freakin' DVD slot. With that, Apple could position it not only as a digital movie device, but also as a DVD/CD player replacement. That seems like a no-brainer.

I think we all can easily see apple tv is a dud, no matter what market target apple original had.

ScottFitz
Dec 21, 2007, 06:53 PM
I sure wish some other company besides att had access to this phone. I'd have one now. but, ATT/Cingular is on my list of companies I will no longer do business with.

megfilmworks
Dec 21, 2007, 07:10 PM
Great news, but not surprising. It seems that everyone has one and the satisfaction numbers are the best ever for Apple. Word of mouth is very strong and there is nothing out there to compete with the iPhone.
:apple:

DMann
Dec 21, 2007, 07:16 PM
Im guessing 5million isnt a whole lot to the phone market, I still have not seen any iphones in public. The only iPhone Ive seen in my whole life has been in an ATT display.

They seem to only be popular in certain markets like the big cities, or the ones where ATT has huge marketshare. In my kind of small city of 45k I have yet to see one, by around this time when the RAZR came out I had already seen a handful, then when the black RAZR came out it just exploded and almost everyone I saw on the phone had a black RAZR. It could also be related to the fact that not a lot of people have ATT here since Cingular was the last one to setup service, by far most have Sprint.

5 million represents approx .5% of the world cell phone market - not at all bad for 5+months.

AmigaMacmini
Dec 21, 2007, 07:19 PM
Add one more to that number. I'm getting a iPhone.

Rot'nApple
Dec 21, 2007, 07:49 PM

Like I said, "Apple always takes a chance of whether their new product will be a hit or a miss.":rolleyes:

And didn't Steve thus far look upon the AppleTV as an idea they are tossing around still? I forget SJ's exact phrase but when he was talking about the various segments of Apple at a keynote it was like... "Macintosh", "iPod", "iPhone", and oh yeah, "AppleTV".

It is still a "work in progress" idea. Let it go through some refinements and who knows, maybe we will see what will become of it?

Rot'nApple
Dec 21, 2007, 07:57 PM

Saw my first one... A college student was text messaging away while waiting in line at the post office the other day. I asked about service/reception for my local area, Virginia Beach, VA, and he said he was surprised by ATT's local network and reception here locally and that he had no complaints thus far. However, I'm still iPhoneless but not because I wouldn't like one.

Philberttheduck
Dec 21, 2007, 09:08 PM
if they update a 2G iphone by may or june, make that 2 iphones closer to that 10 mil mark.

FX120
Dec 21, 2007, 10:22 PM
I live in a fairly large city (1.3 million) and have so far only seen one actual iPhone.

And I am no hermit.

I have seen a fair number of blackberry's recently...

cameronjpu
Dec 21, 2007, 10:27 PM
I live in a fairly large city (1.3 million) and have so far only seen one actual iPhone.

And I am no hermit.

I have seen a fair number of blackberry's recently...

This whole "seeing one" thing...

Seen a pair of white ear buds recently? Maybe too far away to tell if it had a little mic on the wire? That's the only way you'd ever see mine...

xlosltove777
Dec 21, 2007, 10:31 PM

It depends on where you live. I go to a school of 3,000, two towns of 30,000 people altogether and I've seen 10-15 kids with iPhones. I bet towns closer to NYC than mine(aka wealthier) have even more iPhones. And I know for a fact that when living in MA earlier this year iPhones where selling out even faster than they are here. Overall I don't think its surprising to see Apple looking like it may beat its expectations, they probably choose a conservative estimate to make sure that the didn't look bad if it didn't do well as they really expected.

puckhead193
Dec 21, 2007, 10:42 PM
dam i would like to see a chart of other popular phones sold ie the razr

FX120
Dec 21, 2007, 11:13 PM
This whole "seeing one" thing...

Seen a pair of white ear buds recently? Maybe too far away to tell if it had a little mic on the wire? That's the only way you'd ever see mine...

I don't really know why, but I tend to pay a lot of attention to what phones people I run into use.

Like in a darkened movie theater durring the pre-movie advertisements, you can count like 4 blackberry keypads lit up, a few Razr-esque keypads, a few generic flip phones, an old Nokia with a green backlit display.

Or when people are standing in front of me in the line at starbucks texting, a lot of smartphones, no iPhones.

I can't say that I am always on the lookout for one, but I've yet to notice very many "in the wild".

nlivo
Dec 21, 2007, 11:24 PM
I've only ever seen one "in the wild", but then again I live in Melbourne, Australia.

HailToTheVictor
Dec 21, 2007, 11:29 PM
I see a lot of iPhones. In the past few weeks it seems as if it is 10-15 a day of either people at school or just walking in town. It kinda makes me feel less special when I see so many :(

Mackan
Dec 21, 2007, 11:32 PM
Like someone said, 5 million sold iPhones sounds very optimistic. 2-3 million sounds more reasonable...

elgruga
Dec 21, 2007, 11:41 PM
The phone market is NOT the PC market.
5 million phones isnt much, and I can see no reason why Apple havent reached that number, or will do by mid-January.

Phones are an easy christmas present - and the iPhone is a great present.

Phones sell fast and easy, not like a computer which takes weeks of looking and trying sometimes.

Also, there is always one post that says something about "over-priced contract for the iPhone"
Can we get past this NONSENSE? The iPhone contracts are NOT overpriced and have been shown to be CHEAPER than comparable contracts, including the price of the phone.
Not to mention that you get an iPhone, not a crappy Nokia N95, for example.

I have two iPhones - and I live in Canada, where we dont have them yet...except there are thousands selling on Craigslist every week.

One more time:

The iPhone is the very BEST portable device I have EVER used and I LOVE it. So will you, when you finally get one.

anthonymoody
Dec 21, 2007, 11:58 PM
Almost all 5 million are in NYC. You can't breathe without fogging up an iphone screen. Seriously. And the new store in the meatpacking district was freakin MOBBED last night.

Mackan
Dec 22, 2007, 12:15 AM
The phone market is NOT the PC market.
5 million phones isnt much, and I can see no reason why Apple havent reached that number, or will do by mid-January.

Phones are an easy christmas present - and the iPhone is a great present.

Phones sell fast and easy, not like a computer which takes weeks of looking and trying sometimes.

Also, there is always one post that says something about "over-priced contract for the iPhone"
Can we get past this NONSENSE? The iPhone contracts are NOT overpriced and have been shown to be CHEAPER than comparable contracts, including the price of the phone.
Not to mention that you get an iPhone, not a crappy Nokia N95, for example.

I have two iPhones - and I live in Canada, where we dont have them yet...except there are thousands selling on Craigslist every week.

One more time:

The iPhone is the very BEST portable device I have EVER used and I LOVE it. So will you, when you finally get one.

I beg to disagree. The buisness model that Apple is doing with the iPhone is nothing to cheer for. Paying full price for a locked phone, and having to take a long term contract? All because Apple is very greedy? No thanks, the iPhone is far from an ideal present, in my opinion.

ajhill
Dec 22, 2007, 12:46 AM
In the last few weeks I have been amazed at the people I know in my life that have surprised me, by purchasing an iPhone. Sure I expected it from my Tech Savvy buddies, who actually HAVEN'T bought one yet. But what I didn't expect was everyday people who have taken to this phone.

Everyone, and I mean everyone attacked this phone with foam frothing from their mouths. CNBC stated that "Apple will have trouble selling the iPhone because monthly bills would be over $100." No, they didn't say "probably" or "might be over $100", they proclaimed it to be fact. A fact that never was. And did they apologize? No.

But the Tipping Point lies in a fact that no one has reported as of yet. The major, epic shift in the cell phone business going forward is away from dumb phones and rapidly toward smart phones. As a matter of fact in 2008 dumb phones will be left in the dust. Don't believe me, go to a store and look at the new Motorola Razr. It looks ancient. Gone is what we once saw as sex appeal (if you'll indulge me using an amazingly overused technology term). Apple has laid down the gauntlet and only Research in Motion is close to challenging them.

As a matter of fact, look for BOTH Apple and RIMM to pull away from the others in the market in 2008 as consumers just refuse to go into new contracts with crippled, dumb phones.

This time next year we will look back and it will be obvious what happened. Apple will have sold $20-25 Million iPhones and RIMM will have signed up another 10 Million customers.

The people who think Apple and Rimm's competitors would be able to just whip out a product to be an "iPhone Killer" as simply wrong. Oh, they have tried, and failed. When the 3G iPhone comes out in Summer 2008, it's game over. Game, Set, Match and Tourney to Apple and RIMM.

Don't believe me? Imagine that you were going to a phone store tomorrow to buy a phone. Ask yourself the following question. What phone do I want to be seen using for 2008 and 2009? Chances are it's a Blackberry or an iPhone. And that my friends is a tipping point.

5 Million by MWSF? It wouldn't surprise me.

Al

TurboSC
Dec 22, 2007, 01:52 AM
dam i would like to see a chart of other popular phones sold ie the razr

yea a nice little line graph or a bar graph of the top 5 cell phones and their sales would be supurb.

Raidersmojo
Dec 22, 2007, 01:57 AM
for awhile I thought I was "I AM LEGEND" because I was the only person on the planet with an iphone it seemed like.

then I finally saw another kid with one and he was surprised. but then, went to the west coast. it seemed like everyone had one in san fran, at the airports, in the streets, throwing them at the homeless, ect.

just depends on where you go

1town
Dec 22, 2007, 06:06 AM
They said 10 million in 2008. Not by the end of 2008.
That means any sale up until new years doesn't count towards the goal!

I feel like I'm the only one with somewhat of a decent memory, since I see everyone mess up these facts.

emotion
Dec 22, 2007, 06:22 AM

I feel like I'm the only one with somewhat of a decent memory, since I see everyone mess up these facts.

I think most of us don't care that much.

Definitely not enough to sprinkle bold fonts about the place.

:)

Let's face it, it's mostly ************ marketing and PR isn't it?

helo
Dec 22, 2007, 07:01 AM
I think you'll all find that this is nonsense. Steve Ballmer said it couldn't happen. And he runs MICROSOFT! He wouldn't get something like that wrong!

alex69uk
Dec 22, 2007, 07:21 AM

Which target is that?

iPhone has a publicly stated target of 10m by the end of calendar 2008. Where are the AppleTV targets you mention? Apple hasn't made any projections public.

The only so-called targets are analysts pulling numbers out of their arse - and we all know how often they get things right. It never ceases to amaze me how quickly or easily speculation becomes accepted as fact.

Glenny2lappies
Dec 22, 2007, 07:37 AM
Ahem... You forget the surprising accuracy of 9to5mac... They have clearly an insider on their payroll...

Not convinced it's not Apple's PR department talking up the success.

Why: it's the snowball effect. I don't have an iPhone. I want one, boy do I want one, but I'm not letting my heart rule my head when it comes down to a piss-takingly poor contract.

If Apple PR can convince me that everyone's buying, they'll hope to invoke the herd instinct and get 'me' to buy (i.e. make me feel as if I'm the odd one out).

I reckon the figures are about half what they're saying.

LeviG
Dec 22, 2007, 08:50 AM
I like the approximately 1 million in the eu, now I know we've had it for less time etc but thats not exactly good when its over 3 countries is it, maybe the europeans aren't so daft after all :D.

cameronjpu
Dec 22, 2007, 09:05 AM
Not convinced it's not Apple's PR department talking up the success.

Why: it's the snowball effect. I don't have an iPhone. I want one, boy do I want one, but I'm not letting my heart rule my head when it comes down to a piss-takingly poor contract.

If Apple PR can convince me that everyone's buying, they'll hope to invoke the herd instinct and get 'me' to buy (i.e. make me feel as if I'm the odd one out).

I reckon the figures are about half what they're saying.

If you're right, it will be easy to determine, since if Apple is lying publicly, those responsible are breaking the law.

So yeah, anything you hear from Apple about sales is true.

gnasher729
Dec 22, 2007, 10:08 AM

I'd be really curious what the target numbers are for the AppleTV. But with the sales numbers I have heard, Apple has reached a significant percentage of Tivo sales, something like 30 or 40 percent.

gnasher729
Dec 22, 2007, 10:19 AM
This story is something else again, (probably just an estimate based on already released figures) and is probably not related to the traitor at the factory, unless Apple shares its sales figures with the manufacturing plant.

Someone at the manufacturing plant should have a rather good idea how many iPhones they are producing, 90%-95% of those should be sold (plus a few that get lost, are stolen, or forgotten in a warehouse, or freebies, or warranty replacements).

megfilmworks
Dec 22, 2007, 10:29 AM
I beg to disagree. The buisness model that Apple is doing with the iPhone is nothing to cheer for. Paying full price for a locked phone, and having to take a long term contract? All because Apple is very greedy? No thanks, the iPhone is far from an ideal present, in my opinion.
I think the majority of stockholders would disagree with your assessment of Apples's business model and I know no one who wouldn't be thrilled with the gift of an iPhone!

SheckyGreene
Dec 22, 2007, 10:33 AM

Actually, your memory is not perfect either. What he said was they Apple would capture a 1% market share in 2008 (i.e., 10 million phones). This is the critical point: Market share measured at the end of 2008 includes phones sold in 2007. There was no specific statement that Apple would sell 10 million in 2008 alone. If Apple has 10 million phones in consumer hands as of Dec 31, 2008, Apple will have met its stated goal. Period.

http://www.myitablet.com/complete-transcript-of-steve-jobs-macworld-conference-and-expo-january-9-2007-23447.php

"Let’s take a look at this market, and how big it is. My clicker’s not working. Oh there it is. So how big is this market, well let’s take a look. [...]

So game consoles. 26 million game consoles were sold in 2006 worldwide, actually a little smaller than you’d think. It’s not such a big market. Digital cameras dwarfed it at 94 million. MP3 players 135 million. And PCs, about 209. Mobile phones, just about a billion last year, worldwide. So what does this tell you? What this tells you is, that 1 percent market share equals 10 million units. This is a giant market. One percent market share, you’re going to sell 10 million phones. And this is exactly what we’re going to try to do in 2008, our first full year in the market, is grab 1 percent market share and go from there. So we’re going to enter a very competitive market, lot of players, we think we’re going to have the best product in the world, and we’re going to go for it and see if we can get 1 percent market share, 10 million units in 2008, and go from there."

DisturbedLen
Dec 22, 2007, 10:37 AM
This is good for my AAPL options and stock!!!
:)

richardtalbotuk
Dec 22, 2007, 10:38 AM
If Apple could drop the iPhone price further or allow operator subsidy then I think sales would go through the roof more then they have.

I've opted for a Nokia E61 on O2 in the meantime as I cannot justify the £269 for the handset. I also get the same voice and data for £22 per month on that rather the £35 they want with the iPhone.

Roll on the 5 million though, the more they sell the bigger support base from 3rd party suppliers the SDK will get when it launches.

cameronjpu
Dec 22, 2007, 10:52 AM
Actually, your memory is not perfect either. What he said was they Apple would capture a 1% market share in 2008 (i.e., 10 million phones). This is the critical point: Market share measured at the end of 2008 includes phones sold in 2007. There was no specific statement that Apple would sell 10 million in 2008 alone. If Apple has 10 million phones in consumer hands as of Dec 31, 2008, Apple will have met its stated goal. Period.

One percent market share, you’re going to sell 10 million phones. And this is exactly what we’re going to try to do in 2008, our first full year in the market, is grab 1 percent market share and go from there.

Sounds like the quote you posted supports the other argument, and opposes yours.

That said, I think it will be easy for Apple to sell 10 million phones in 2008. Every month that passes, a large chuck of Verizon and Tmobile users' contracts expire, making them eligible to switch over. Plus Apple will lower prices in Europe and launch the phone worldwide in 2008, with 3G features and more memory. 10 million will be easy.

trevorlsciact
Dec 22, 2007, 10:58 AM
Sounds like the quote you posted supports the other argument, and opposes yours.

No, he's right. Steve clearly meant that they wanted to get 1% by end of 2008--even if he did say it a bit odd it the excerpt for the quote you posted.

One percent market share, you’re going to sell 10 million phones. And this is exactly what we’re going to try to do in 2008, our first full year in the market, is grab 1 percent market share and go from there.

Notice he is saying, in the first sentence, that 10 mil is 1%. the second he is saying he wants to get 1% market share in 2008.

lord patton
Dec 22, 2007, 11:21 AM
This is ridiculous... did your guys graduate high school or what?

1% of 1 billion is 10 million. For every billion handsets sold, Apple needs to sell 10 million iPhones to reach 1% marketshare.

That 1 billion handset number is per annum, so that's the time frame in which Apple must sell 10 million iPhones.

If you include iPhones sold between June 29 and Dec 31 2007, you'd have to include all other handsets sold during that time to arrive at the marketshare ratio.

emotion
Dec 22, 2007, 11:32 AM
If you include iPhones sold between June 29 and Dec 31 2007, you'd have to include all other handsets sold during that time to arrive at the marketshare ratio.

You're right if he meant that it was sales market share - not contracted market share (or some other metric).

trevorlsciact
Dec 22, 2007, 11:32 AM
This is ridiculous... did your guys graduate high school or what?

1% of 1 billion is 10 million. For every billion handsets sold, Apple needs to sell 10 million iPhones to reach 1% marketshare.

That 1 billion handset number is per annum, so that's the time frame in which Apple must sell 10 million iPhones.

ah, you are right. I hate how people use the term market share. In that case it really isn't 1%, but allot less--only 1% of new units. Also, I don't know why apple is doing it in worldwide market share anyway--why not have goals for each market they enter?

You're right if he meant that it was sales market share - not contracted market share (or some other metric).

he did, look at the quote from the keynote higher on this page.

penguy
Dec 22, 2007, 11:53 AM
I acknowledge that the Bay Area is not representative. That said, the iPhone is all over the place where I live. Virtually every mother at my son's school has one and a good number of the girls from 6th to 8th grades. I work in San Francisco, and I see quite a few while walking around town, mostly identified by the mic on the headphone set.

Glenny2lappies
Dec 22, 2007, 11:54 AM
....That 1 billion handset number is per annum, so that's the time frame in which Apple must sell 10 million iPhones....

I'm sure they will be very successful. But they'll be more successful if the prices for the contracts are a lot better.

Unlike buying an iPod where the only ongoing cost is iTunes store tax, these phones are only available on contract, and with awful terms. Desirable or not; the 'majority' of people in their target 'cool' market use pay-as-you-go.

People who use phones with contracts will realise that the costs are outrageous and that the, lets use for an example, N95 is constantly being compared with the iPhone (by Nokia's PR department!) and is available for a fraction of the cost.

They'll also be a lot more successful when the SDK's available, so there'll be masses of add-on applications.

And finally, they'll be a lot more successful when it's available in 3G -- you can't use a iPhone in Japan until it is 3G. EDGE support is pretty poor in most countries.

Yep, iPhone version 2 will be a roaring success. More so than the trailblazing version 1.

cameronjpu
Dec 22, 2007, 12:28 PM
No, he's right. Steve clearly meant that they wanted to get 1% by end of 2008--even if he did say it a bit odd it the excerpt for the quote you posted.

CLEARLY that's what he meant. lol... I wish I could read minds as well as you can!

And this is exactly what we’re going to try to do in 2008

Notice he is saying, in the first sentence, that 10 mil is 1%. the second he is saying he wants to get 1% market share in 2008.

Yeah I noticed. And um, "I don't think that word means what you think it means." Let's see - 1 billion cell phones per year, 10 million iPhone sales in a year and a half. See the problem?

milo
Dec 22, 2007, 12:33 PM
This blurb is wrong...

Apple's stated goal is selling 10 million iPhones IN 2008. Meaning by the end of 2008 they'll have sold more than 10 million, and they'll reach the 10 million point at some time in the middle of the year.

This has been misreported quite a bit, but the statement is right there from Jobs himself, he says it in at least two of the event videos online.

10 million IN 2008.

Here Jobs again makes reference to selling 10 million in the first calendar year (which is the year 2008).

http://www.usatoday.com/tech/techinvestor/corporatenews/2007-06-28-jobs-stephenson-qa_N.htm

He also said it again in the conference call on October 22 of this year - "10 million IN 2008". Not 10 million by the end of 2008. The exact quote is "I would reiterate that we're very confident with shipping ten million in the calendar year of next year". It's just after the 27 minute mark of that audio stream, check it if you don't believe me.

Glenny2lappies
Dec 22, 2007, 01:18 PM
Quite frankly this is arguing over semantics; whether it's 10 million in 12 months or 18 months doesn't really matter (unless you're an Apple salesman or Steve).

I wonder what the figures are for an iPod touch? I bet these will be 10M this year, particularly over this Christmas period.

Even if it's 2 million, that's one hell of a lot more than a... what's it called... oh yes... a Zune:-)

Just imagine the disappointment on the face of the kids who's granny bought them a Zune and not an iPod for Christmas! It makes the thought of horrid coloured jumpers look quite nice in comparison.

I wonder if Apple are ever going to do the iGame console? Or will this be the new name for the Mac Mini?

G5guy
Dec 22, 2007, 01:29 PM
No way in hell they will sell that many by January Mac World. The source of this is a fantasy rumor site. Someone just wants to see this get out and steal any thunder during Macworld when the true number is announced - somewhere around 2-2.5 million. Why would Apple BUILD 4 million iPhones for sale in 3 months when they sold only 1 million in the first 3? The European markets are much smaller than the US market. The die-hards already have their phones. Only gift-giving will up the normal sales rate a bit for the rest of the market.

Much Ado
Dec 22, 2007, 01:31 PM
I wonder if Apple are ever going to do the iGame console? Or will this be the new name for the Mac Mini?

You might just have re-opened Pandora's Box there...

extensor
Dec 22, 2007, 03:09 PM

Thanks a lot. Your words just made my brain bleed!

How can we know what Apple had hoped if we don't know the target (internal or external)???

What we do know is Steve called the release a hobby. Meaning they want to gauge interest and see what features might be added in a future version. In which case the actual number sold wouldn't be an issue.

megfilmworks
Dec 22, 2007, 04:30 PM
I thin SJ meant that sometime by the end of 2008 he would see the iphone achieve a 1% market share, not sell 10 million iPhones in 2008. Besides does Apple operate on a fiscal year for accounting or?? I doubt he was referring to calendar year sales for 2008.

kcmac
Dec 22, 2007, 10:50 PM
It won't matter. They will pass 10 million sooner than anyone thought or said. ;)

ReanimationLP
Dec 22, 2007, 11:21 PM
They probably would sell more if it was on another carrier without having to unlock it.

If you ask me, ATT service is ********** horrible.

diamond.g
Dec 23, 2007, 05:36 AM
You might just have re-opened Pandora's Box there...

Agreed. Dunno if the Mac Mini can be price a whole lot cheaper than it is, seeing as a $600 PS3 didn't sell all that well. Plus what "gimmick" can Apple bring to the table to get an audience (since most are buying the Wii)?

MacsAttack
Dec 23, 2007, 06:15 AM
There appears to be four major "camps" out there...

1. The other phone manufacturers who are scares sh8less by the iPhone and have done everything to rubbish it in the media - aided by the media who think stories of massive failure make better copy. The iPhone can't live up to some of the hype - but it still is a very nice device from a technical standpoint.

2. The people with the heavy iPhone envy who - because they personally can't have an iPhone for one reason or other - have to talk it down any way they can.

3. People who own iPhones - and like it.

4. Normal people. You know the type. The people who are NOT reading this topic. :D

I can't talk wit certainty about the rest of Europe, but in the UK the launch was badly timed if Apple wanted to see lots of people running out to get it in November. With Christmas just around the corner a lot of people would be happy to wait and see if an iPhone shows up in their stocking :). It is going to be very interesting to see what the numbers shake out like in January.

Another factor that skews the numbers is the reports of how many unlocked phones have been sold, or how many have not been activated. I have a suspicion that a lot of these are destined for the hands of people who are living in areas where the iPhone is not yet available. Just look at how many people on these forums had a cracked US phone in the UK before the official launch...

emotion
Dec 23, 2007, 06:23 AM
Good analysis.

I think they'll make another marketing push when the next big update to the firmware comes (likely with 3rd party apps/SDK in Feb/March).

csimmons
Dec 23, 2007, 06:45 AM
Which target is that?

iPhone has a publicly stated target of 10m by the end of calendar 2008. Where are the AppleTV targets you mention? Apple hasn't made any projections public.

The only so-called targets are analysts pulling numbers out of their arse - and we all know how often they get things right. It never ceases to amaze me how quickly or easily speculation becomes accepted as fact.

Exactly. The only ones who knows what Apple's internal sales targets were for Apple TV is Apple.

trevorlsciact
Dec 23, 2007, 07:36 AM
CLEARLY that's what he meant. lol... I wish I could read minds as well as you can!

And this is exactly what we’re going to try to do in 2008

Yeah I noticed. And um, "I don't think that word means what you think it means." Let's see - 1 billion cell phones per year, 10 million iPhone sales in a year and a half. See the problem?

Look, I admitted my err, you don't have to have an attitude. I did not realize steve was talking about sales market share, I'm sorry!

sublicon
Dec 23, 2007, 10:55 AM
Proud to be counted, can't wait to activate mine.

jwdsail
Dec 23, 2007, 04:38 PM
I'm shocked no one has mentioned that technically, as far as Apple Inc. is concerned... it already *IS* 2008...

Apple Inc's fiscal year 2007 ended Sept 29th.

:-)

Sooo.. 10 mil iPhones in 2008... How many have been sold since the 29th of Sept so far?

jwd

maestro55
Dec 24, 2007, 12:00 AM
It Steve does announce 5 million sold in his MacWorld keynote that is going to be a very good thing for Apple. Still a small portion of the cellphone market share but plenty of profit for Apple. There are many people I know that I have seen post on the forums and even some people that I know in person who are waiting out for the iPhone 2. There are others that I know who will not get the iPhone while ATT is the only carrier, I don't know if this is ever going to change, I hope it does. I would personally like the choice to change services and use my current phone with a data plan if ATT decided to treat me like they have treated others.

10 million plus before the end of 2008, I see it possible certainly with iPhone 2. I don't know if I will be getting one when it first comes out, but I will be getting one. I wonder if I am going to have to sign another two year contract to get one. I am hoping that they decide to waive the 2 year contract for those who already have an iPhone on their plan, but knowing ATT I am not sure if this will be the case. I also wonder if Apple has any plans to make deals with any other services.

DiamondMac
Dec 24, 2007, 12:33 AM
Fantastic news.

Honestly, much better than I thought they would be at this point.

I am EXTREMELY happy with my launch-day iPhone but I really do hope more updates come. Incredibly disappointed on the updates so far as many things should have already been added.

farmboy
Dec 24, 2007, 12:30 PM
True but keep in mind sales will slow as the iPhone gets near the end of it's worldwide rollout.
Now if we count the second Gen. iPhone in the 10M target I can see Apple being ahead of it's target because a lot of people will buy the rev.b iPhone in 2008.

Geesh, the phone is only sold in about 6 countries so far, not exactly near the end of a worldwide rollout. All the rest of Europe(!),Japan, Korea, India, China, Russia, Canada, Brazil and dozens of other huge populations still to go. Timeframe: don't know.

ajhill
Dec 24, 2007, 09:02 PM
No way in hell they will sell that many by January Mac World. The source of this is a fantasy rumor site. Someone just wants to see this get out and steal any thunder during Macworld when the true number is announced - somewhere around 2-2.5 million. Why would Apple BUILD 4 million iPhones for sale in 3 months when they sold only 1 million in the first 3? The European markets are much smaller than the US market. The die-hards already have their phones. Only gift-giving will up the normal sales rate a bit for the rest of the market.

Because they knew that a $200 price drop would drastically increase the sales rate as would the Christmas shopping season. Not to mention all the gift cards that get redeemed in January, that won't be on the 1st quarter's books (Sept-Dec).

For 6 months we've heard nothing but nit-picking attacks on the iPhone, yet they are in fact turning up everywhere. Much like a product that had sold many millions of units. Next year more and more people will be going off contract and a lot of them will want an iPhone. With a higher capacity (?) 3G iPhone out mid year they will most likely have sold 20 Million units by the end of 2008, maybe 25 Million. You need look no further than the first year's iPod sales to get an idea how new Apple products ramp sales.

All those who nit-picked and said the iPhone would fail because... Well, you fill in the lame complaint will be proven wrong when earnings come out in a few weeks and Apple has indeed sold 5 million units. I'm sure they'll find something to complain about with the 3G units when they come out. And in December 2008 they will be saying "There's no way Apple sold 25 Million iPhones."

I wouldn't be surprised if Apple had 10% of the cell phone market by 2010. And don't forget boys and girls, Apple get a portion of everyones iPhone bill every month. And that's free money for Apple and it's going to add up REALLY FAST.

Happy to be long of AAPL

Al

Freis968
Dec 25, 2007, 04:40 AM
Just think what the number would be if it was not AT&T exclusive. I have 3,000 anytime minutes with T-Mobile for $49.99. It makes switching over to AT&T impossible at their current over $200 for 2,000 minutes rate. And yes, I use close to 3,000 mins a month for work. If T-Mobile and other carriers were provided the chance to buy an iPhone I know I sure as hell would have bought one and others as well.

Manic Mouse
Dec 25, 2007, 05:42 AM
I have everything crossed for a HDD based iPhone unveiled at MacWorld. And of course a price drop in the ridiculous contracts.

Go on Apple, give me a nice Christmas present!

And don't forget boys and girls, Apple get a portion of everyones iPhone bill every month. And that's free money for Apple and it's going to add up REALLY FAST.

Happy to be long of AAPL

Al

It's not "free" money. It's money Apple are getting by ripping off their consumers. Only an Apple stock-holder could be happy about that.

OllyW
Dec 25, 2007, 06:21 AM
It's not "free" money. It's money Apple are getting by ripping off their consumers. Only an Apple stock-holder could be happy about that.

It still amazes me how many people just don't get this and praise Apple for making their phone bills more expensive :confused:

Manic Mouse
Dec 25, 2007, 01:59 PM
It still amazes me how many people just don't get this and praise Apple for making their phone bills more expensive :confused:

I know, had MS done a similar thing they would rip them to shreds. But if Apple rips you off it's a "Good Thing"tm.

Charging users to use a product they've already bought. Genius, money for nothing! /rolls eyes

megfilmworks
Dec 25, 2007, 02:02 PM
It still amazes me how many people just don't get this and praise Apple for making their phone bills more expensive :confused:My iPhone bill is LESS than when I had my Razr because they didn't have the lower priced data plan. Less money, way better phone!!

megfilmworks
Dec 25, 2007, 02:11 PM
Just think what the number would be if it was not AT&T exclusive. I have 3,000 anytime minutes with T-Mobile for $49.99. It makes switching over to AT&T impossible at their current over $200 for 2,000 minutes rate. And yes, I use close to 3,000 mins a month for work. If T-Mobile and other carriers were provided the chance to buy an iPhone I know I sure as hell would have bought one and others as well.
Rates are $120 for 2,000 not $200
and 4,000 is $170, maybe now that you were off by so much, you can afford the plan.

Manic Mouse
Dec 25, 2007, 02:32 PM
My iPhone bill is LESS than when I had my Razr because they didn't have the lower priced data plan. Less money, way better phone!!

Did you go with an expensive contract to get a Razr? Because they really aren't very good phones IMO. Your iPhone must be a million times better!

larryinfl
Dec 28, 2007, 08:45 AM
I think they'll make their mark. More so if they release the 3G iPhone the first half of '08!

Stefan Gowlar
Dec 28, 2007, 09:45 AM
Christmas has just been so id expect that number to rise

MacsAttack
Dec 28, 2007, 10:45 AM
I use close to 3,000 mins a month for work.

Hmmm... 31 days x 24 hours x 60 = 44,640

Assumption - 8 hours/day sleeping/shower/bath/eating/various bodily functions, so that would be 31 x 16 x 60 = 29,760

Sooooo... just over 10% of your waking time is spent on the phone? Also assumes no days off :D

Looks like we have a candidate for the first Human/cel phone hybrid surgical grafting project! Igor! To the lab!

DiamondMac
Dec 28, 2007, 01:38 PM

I have no problem paying more when I get more from my phone.

I know browse the internet with ease, email check consistently, ipod included, etc....

Well worth the added price per month

Bickity
Dec 29, 2007, 02:53 PM
Hate to burst everyones bubble, but these are fake. One quick look in Photoshop and a look through the channels shows they have been altered. See attached image and you can see the difference of pixels in the Blue channel. The Gear Live icon is all pixelated in the black area compared to the rest. A box can be seen where they copied and moved the image.

Wish it was true, but Steve probably has something else up his sleeve.

Oops, sorry. Posted this in the wrong place.

wolfie37
Dec 29, 2007, 08:00 PM
I like the approximately 1 million in the eu, now I know we've had it for less time etc but thats not exactly good when its over 3 countries is it, maybe the europeans aren't so daft after all :D.

Oh do your maths!! The population of the 3 EU countries the iPhone is on sale in is much less than the USA, so if 1million iPhones have been sold in 2 months in the EU then that shows we are more interested in it than AMerica!!