Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DMann

macrumors 601
Jan 13, 2002
Cell Phone Market

Im guessing 5million isnt a whole lot to the phone market, I still have not seen any iphones in public. The only iPhone Ive seen in my whole life has been in an ATT display.

They seem to only be popular in certain markets like the big cities, or the ones where ATT has huge marketshare. In my kind of small city of 45k I have yet to see one, by around this time when the RAZR came out I had already seen a handful, then when the black RAZR came out it just exploded and almost everyone I saw on the phone had a black RAZR. It could also be related to the fact that not a lot of people have ATT here since Cingular was the last one to setup service, by far most have Sprint.

5 million represents approx .5% of the world cell phone market - not at all bad for 5+months.

Rot'nApple

macrumors 65816
Dec 27, 2006
I DID build that!
Doesn't look like the AppleTV has hit targets...

Like I said, "Apple always takes a chance of whether their new product will be a hit or a miss.":rolleyes:

And didn't Steve thus far look upon the AppleTV as an idea they are tossing around still? I forget SJ's exact phrase but when he was talking about the various segments of Apple at a keynote it was like... "Macintosh", "iPod", "iPhone", and oh yeah, "AppleTV".

It is still a "work in progress" idea. Let it go through some refinements and who knows, maybe we will see what will become of it?

Rot'nApple

macrumors 65816
Dec 27, 2006
I DID build that!
Im guessing 5million isnt a whole lot to the phone market, I still have not seen any iphones in public. The only iPhone Ive seen in my whole life has been in an ATT display.

They seem to only be popular in certain markets like the big cities, or the ones where ATT has huge marketshare. In my kind of small city of 45k I have yet to see one, by around this time when the RAZR came out I had already seen a handful, then when the black RAZR came out it just exploded and almost everyone I saw on the phone had a black RAZR. It could also be related to the fact that not a lot of people have ATT here since Cingular was the last one to setup service, by far most have Sprint.

Saw my first one... A college student was text messaging away while waiting in line at the post office the other day. I asked about service/reception for my local area, Virginia Beach, VA, and he said he was surprised by ATT's local network and reception here locally and that he had no complaints thus far. However, I'm still iPhoneless but not because I wouldn't like one.

FX120

macrumors 65816
May 18, 2007
I live in a fairly large city (1.3 million) and have so far only seen one actual iPhone.

And I am no hermit.

I have seen a fair number of blackberry's recently...

cameronjpu

macrumors 65816
Aug 24, 2007
I live in a fairly large city (1.3 million) and have so far only seen one actual iPhone.

And I am no hermit.

I have seen a fair number of blackberry's recently...

This whole "seeing one" thing...

Seen a pair of white ear buds recently? Maybe too far away to tell if it had a little mic on the wire? That's the only way you'd ever see mine...

xlosltove777

macrumors member
Sep 19, 2006
Long Island, NY
I live in a fairly large city (1.3 million) and have so far only seen one actual iPhone

It depends on where you live. I go to a school of 3,000, two towns of 30,000 people altogether and I've seen 10-15 kids with iPhones. I bet towns closer to NYC than mine(aka wealthier) have even more iPhones. And I know for a fact that when living in MA earlier this year iPhones where selling out even faster than they are here. Overall I don't think its surprising to see Apple looking like it may beat its expectations, they probably choose a conservative estimate to make sure that the didn't look bad if it didn't do well as they really expected.

FX120

macrumors 65816
May 18, 2007
This whole "seeing one" thing...

Seen a pair of white ear buds recently? Maybe too far away to tell if it had a little mic on the wire? That's the only way you'd ever see mine...

I don't really know why, but I tend to pay a lot of attention to what phones people I run into use.

Like in a darkened movie theater durring the pre-movie advertisements, you can count like 4 blackberry keypads lit up, a few Razr-esque keypads, a few generic flip phones, an old Nokia with a green backlit display.

Or when people are standing in front of me in the line at starbucks texting, a lot of smartphones, no iPhones.

I can't say that I am always on the lookout for one, but I've yet to notice very many "in the wild".

HailToTheVictor

macrumors regular
Feb 1, 2007
I see a lot of iPhones. In the past few weeks it seems as if it is 10-15 a day of either people at school or just walking in town. It kinda makes me feel less special when I see so many :(

Mackan

macrumors 65816
Sep 16, 2007
Like someone said, 5 million sold iPhones sounds very optimistic. 2-3 million sounds more reasonable...

elgruga

macrumors 6502
Dec 31, 2001
Canada
The phone market is NOT the PC market.
5 million phones isnt much, and I can see no reason why Apple havent reached that number, or will do by mid-January.

Phones are an easy christmas present - and the iPhone is a great present.

Phones sell fast and easy, not like a computer which takes weeks of looking and trying sometimes.

Also, there is always one post that says something about "over-priced contract for the iPhone"
Can we get past this NONSENSE? The iPhone contracts are NOT overpriced and have been shown to be CHEAPER than comparable contracts, including the price of the phone.
Not to mention that you get an iPhone, not a crappy Nokia N95, for example.

I have two iPhones - and I live in Canada, where we dont have them yet...except there are thousands selling on Craigslist every week.

One more time:

The iPhone is the very BEST portable device I have EVER used and I LOVE it. So will you, when you finally get one.

anthonymoody

macrumors 68040
Aug 8, 2002
Almost all 5 million are in NYC. You can't breathe without fogging up an iphone screen. Seriously. And the new store in the meatpacking district was freakin MOBBED last night.

Mackan

macrumors 65816
Sep 16, 2007
The phone market is NOT the PC market.
5 million phones isnt much, and I can see no reason why Apple havent reached that number, or will do by mid-January.

Phones are an easy christmas present - and the iPhone is a great present.

Phones sell fast and easy, not like a computer which takes weeks of looking and trying sometimes.

Also, there is always one post that says something about "over-priced contract for the iPhone"
Can we get past this NONSENSE? The iPhone contracts are NOT overpriced and have been shown to be CHEAPER than comparable contracts, including the price of the phone.
Not to mention that you get an iPhone, not a crappy Nokia N95, for example.

I have two iPhones - and I live in Canada, where we dont have them yet...except there are thousands selling on Craigslist every week.

One more time:

The iPhone is the very BEST portable device I have EVER used and I LOVE it. So will you, when you finally get one.

I beg to disagree. The buisness model that Apple is doing with the iPhone is nothing to cheer for. Paying full price for a locked phone, and having to take a long term contract? All because Apple is very greedy? No thanks, the iPhone is far from an ideal present, in my opinion.

ajhill

macrumors 6502
May 2, 2007
The Tipping Point is HERE!

In the last few weeks I have been amazed at the people I know in my life that have surprised me, by purchasing an iPhone. Sure I expected it from my Tech Savvy buddies, who actually HAVEN'T bought one yet. But what I didn't expect was everyday people who have taken to this phone.

Everyone, and I mean everyone attacked this phone with foam frothing from their mouths. CNBC stated that "Apple will have trouble selling the iPhone because monthly bills would be over $100." No, they didn't say "probably" or "might be over $100", they proclaimed it to be fact. A fact that never was. And did they apologize? No.

But the Tipping Point lies in a fact that no one has reported as of yet. The major, epic shift in the cell phone business going forward is away from dumb phones and rapidly toward smart phones. As a matter of fact in 2008 dumb phones will be left in the dust. Don't believe me, go to a store and look at the new Motorola Razr. It looks ancient. Gone is what we once saw as sex appeal (if you'll indulge me using an amazingly overused technology term). Apple has laid down the gauntlet and only Research in Motion is close to challenging them.

As a matter of fact, look for BOTH Apple and RIMM to pull away from the others in the market in 2008 as consumers just refuse to go into new contracts with crippled, dumb phones.

This time next year we will look back and it will be obvious what happened. Apple will have sold $20-25 Million iPhones and RIMM will have signed up another 10 Million customers.

The people who think Apple and Rimm's competitors would be able to just whip out a product to be an "iPhone Killer" as simply wrong. Oh, they have tried, and failed. When the 3G iPhone comes out in Summer 2008, it's game over. Game, Set, Match and Tourney to Apple and RIMM.

Don't believe me? Imagine that you were going to a phone store tomorrow to buy a phone. Ask yourself the following question. What phone do I want to be seen using for 2008 and 2009? Chances are it's a Blackberry or an iPhone. And that my friends is a tipping point.

5 Million by MWSF? It wouldn't surprise me.

Al

Raidersmojo

macrumors regular
Jul 3, 2005
Burton michigan
for awhile I thought I was "I AM LEGEND" because I was the only person on the planet with an iphone it seemed like.

then I finally saw another kid with one and he was surprised. but then, went to the west coast. it seemed like everyone had one in san fran, at the airports, in the streets, throwing them at the homeless, ect.

just depends on where you go

1town

macrumors member
Jul 5, 2007
Ffs

They said 10 million in 2008. Not by the end of 2008.
That means any sale up until new years doesn't count towards the goal!

I feel like I'm the only one with somewhat of a decent memory, since I see everyone mess up these facts.

emotion

macrumors 68040
Mar 29, 2004
Manchester, UK
They said 10 million in 2008. Not by the end of 2008.
That means any sale up until new years doesn't count towards the goal!

I feel like I'm the only one with somewhat of a decent memory, since I see everyone mess up these facts.

I think most of us don't care that much.

Definitely not enough to sprinkle bold fonts about the place.

:)

Let's face it, it's mostly bull**** marketing and PR isn't it?

helo

macrumors member
Nov 4, 2007
I think you'll all find that this is nonsense. Steve Ballmer said it couldn't happen. And he runs MICROSOFT! He wouldn't get something like that wrong!

alex69uk

macrumors newbie
Jun 15, 2004
Apple TV not hit targets?

Doesn't look like the AppleTV has hit targets...

Which target is that?

iPhone has a publicly stated target of 10m by the end of calendar 2008. Where are the AppleTV targets you mention? Apple hasn't made any projections public.

The only so-called targets are analysts pulling numbers out of their arse - and we all know how often they get things right. It never ceases to amaze me how quickly or easily speculation becomes accepted as fact.

Glenny2lappies

macrumors 6502a
Sep 29, 2006
Brighton, UK
Ahem... You forget the surprising accuracy of 9to5mac... They have clearly an insider on their payroll...

Not convinced it's not Apple's PR department talking up the success.

Why: it's the snowball effect. I don't have an iPhone. I want one, boy do I want one, but I'm not letting my heart rule my head when it comes down to a piss-takingly poor contract.

If Apple PR can convince me that everyone's buying, they'll hope to invoke the herd instinct and get 'me' to buy (i.e. make me feel as if I'm the odd one out).

I reckon the figures are about half what they're saying.

LeviG

macrumors 65816
Nov 6, 2006
Norfolk, UK
I like the approximately 1 million in the eu, now I know we've had it for less time etc but thats not exactly good when its over 3 countries is it, maybe the europeans aren't so daft after all :D.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.