PDA

View Full Version : 2007's Rumor Rejects and Unconfirmed: Google Acquisition, iSight, MacBook Pro, Hannah Montana

MacRumors
Dec 31, 2007, 03:20 PM
http://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com)

MacRumors receives many rumor submissions every month -- most of which can't be verified, and many are outright fake. Here's a collection of rejected or unconfirmed rumors from 2007 that we publish for interest alone, and are not necessarily believed to be real. In the past, some rumors from our rumor reject list have later become true.

- Since June 07, Merrill Lynch is preparing the Apple's acquisition by Google and indeed of everybody's expectations of the new gadgets arrival, this will become a main news that Eric Schmidt and Steve Jobs are delivering on the MacWorld Expo.

- [A Friend of submitter] told me that Apple is designing a replacement for the iSight. He won't say any more other than that it is to be attached to the screen in "an unusual manner".

- The new MacBook Pro will have 32 gigs of flash RAM installed IN the screen. The screen will be removable and will have touch capability, like a tablet PC. The screen will also have an 8 hour battery and will weigh less than one pound. It will be much easier to use than a tablet PC, however, as it uses some kind of special software that mixes iPhone-like touching and something no one has seen yet. Speech recognition plays a big part in this device's functionality. It is possible that it integrates with the iPhone as a new communication device. Internal codeword is iDub.

- Apple is trying hard to enlist teen-pop legend Miley Cyrus aka Hannah Montana to do some kind of iPod (or iPhone?) advertisement of some kind! The logic to this is that the typical target audience for Hannah are the exact same teens (11 to 17 year old girls, maybe boys too) who coincidentally are the same market segment who are big fans/users/believers of the iPod and iTunes as well.

We typically collect these minor news items and questionable rumors on our Page 2 (http://page2.macrumors.com/) (RSS (http://www.macrumors.com/page2.xml)).

Article Link (http://www.macrumors.com/2007/12/26/2007s-rumor-rejects-and-unconfirmed/)

narco
Dec 31, 2007, 03:25 PM
The big news here is Hannah Montana.

DisturbedLen
Dec 31, 2007, 03:26 PM
Google to buy Apple?
Ummm... No.. Let's hope not...
Whilst I love both companies, I would not like to ever see Apple being bought by anyone. Perhaps the other way around.

Long live Lord Jobs...

CRAZYBUBBA
Dec 31, 2007, 03:28 PM
I'm still trying to understand what 'an unusual manner" could possibly mean, even in the realm of imagination.

Mac-Addict
Dec 31, 2007, 03:31 PM
OMG OMG I hope the Hannah Montana rumor is true! She's the greatest!
Seriously who would buy an iPod because Hannah Montana is on the front of it.. it anything its going to put people off it.

plumbingandtech
Dec 31, 2007, 03:33 PM
I'm still trying to understand what 'an unusual manner" could possibly mean, even in the realm of imagination.

It's a code word to give their rumor credence.

Thankfully, macrumors is smarter then that.

CRAZYBUBBA
Dec 31, 2007, 03:35 PM
OMG OMG I hope the Hannah Montana rumor is true! She's the greatest!
Seriously who would buy an iPod because Hannah Montana is on the front of it.. it anything its going to put people off it.

Actually she's quite popular. This is a realistic rumor.

stevehp
Dec 31, 2007, 03:37 PM
I wouldn't toss that Hannah Montana rumour aside necessarily. Isn't she one of the biggest teen stars on the planet?

ATG
Dec 31, 2007, 03:38 PM
You would have thought they would at least try and make it believable :rolleyes:

...who coincidentally are the same market segment who are big fans/users/believers of the iPod and iTunes as well.
iPods are very real. I don't think there is anybody who doesn't "believe" in them ;)

coolbreeze
Dec 31, 2007, 03:45 PM
+1 on the Hannah Montana potential.

My 11yr old niece is infatuated with this pop star. I went online to buy tickets for her New Orleans concert at the precise time the servers started accepting orders (Ticketmaster). Thankfully I got 2 of the best tickets. Within 3 minutes, the entire stadium had sold out.

So lucky I was able to order them. My niece played with my iPhone extensively over the holiday break (mostly MySpace and YouTube). Needless to say she already wants one BAD, and a Hannah Montana endorsement would seal the deal without a doubt.

Good move, Apple.

rckstwrz
Dec 31, 2007, 03:46 PM
The new MacBook Pro will have 32 gigs of flash RAM installed IN the screen. The screen will be removable and will have touch capability, like a tablet PC.

"The files are IN the computer!?!?"

sthpark7791
Dec 31, 2007, 03:47 PM
The world will end when Google buys Apple. Thus, expect it to happen 12/21/12

neven
Dec 31, 2007, 03:48 PM
Here's a collection of rejected or unconfirmed rumors from 2007 that we publish for interest alone, and are not necessarily believed to be real.

I like this format. Even if everything in this post is nonsense, it's pretty entertaining. It gets old fast, but it's helpful to occasionally explain *why* a particular Apple-related idea wouldn't work.

Since June 07, Merrill Lynch is preparing the Apple's acquisition by Google and indeed of everybody's expectations of the new gadgets arrival, this will become a main news that Eric Schmidt and Steve Jobs are delivering on the MacWorld Expo.

The two companies are already pretty well allied. They don't flat-out compete much, and they can and do work together to both parties' benefit. A merger/buyout would confuse both brands and I can't think of a single thing it would contribute to their businesses.

[A Friend of submitter] told me that Apple is designing a replacement for the iSight. He won't say any more other than that it is to be attached to the screen in "an unusual manner".

What would you attach it to, their old computers that are going to be almost completely replaced (for all practical business purposes) within a year or two by models with iSight built in? Ok, ACDs don't have iSights, but even if Apple wanted to add them (which I don't think they do because they're positioning ACDs as serious studio gear, not communication/entertainment tools) they'd just add them to new ACDs. They also have zero interest in selling accessories for non-Apple hardware.

The new MacBook Pro will have 32 gigs of flash RAM installed IN the screen. The screen will be removable and will have touch capability, like a tablet PC.

Sounds awesome. Sounds complicated. Sounds very, very expensive.

Speech recognition plays a big part in this device's functionality.

By Darwin, please no. The technology isn't good enough and I hope it never is. Nobody wants to talk to their computer, especially not a portable one.

P.S. If you *ask* people, they'll say they'd love it. Then you have them use it, and they hate it, no matter how well it works.

Apple is trying hard to enlist teen-pop legend Miley Cyrus aka Hannah Montana to do some kind of iPod (or iPhone?) advertisement of some kind!

She's a little too popular and a little too plain for a typical iTunes ad, but if true, this would be wholly unsurprising... and uninteresting.

maxp1
Dec 31, 2007, 03:52 PM
I like the iDub. That's the most made up "rumor" I've seen in a while. Whomever made that up should have called it the "i'mDumb if I believe this."

I'm sure there will be disagreement, but I don't thing Apple really releases "revolutionary" products, more "evolutionary". There may be lots of revolutionary stuff in the lab but they seldom see light of day as products. Apple releases technology that is well tested and doesn't have a lot of "WTF" factor.

deputy_doofy
Dec 31, 2007, 04:06 PM

Am I the only one to get that? :D Zoolander, people!

mainstreetmark
Dec 31, 2007, 04:08 PM
P.S. If you *ask* people, they'll say they'd love it. Then you have them use it, and they hate it, no matter how well it works.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Y_Jp6PxsSQ

(or for completeness, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kX8oYoYy2Gc)

(or for fun, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KyLqUf4cdwc)

lukashaaswasidk
Dec 31, 2007, 04:13 PM
I like how Miley Cyrus is referred to as a "legend"
:confused:

tyler9xp
Dec 31, 2007, 04:29 PM

Well, she does have an iPhone. She switched from a Sidekick a while ago: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bDsFxIfOKwE

Aeolius
Dec 31, 2007, 04:31 PM
Nobody wants to talk to their computer, especially not a portable one.

How incredibly short-sighted of you. Speech recognition is quite important, for those with certain disabilities. Windows has built-in speech recognition-to-dictation, which the Mac OS seems to lack.

billystlyes
Dec 31, 2007, 04:34 PM
Here's how you know an Apple rumor is false. Kasper Jade from AppleInsider is the author of the rumor article.:p

RoboCop001
Dec 31, 2007, 04:50 PM

Blue steel! :eek: <-- this is my blue steel face.

JPyre
Dec 31, 2007, 04:51 PM
The screen will also have an 8 hour battery and will weigh less than one pound.

This part had me laughing out loud for quite some time....

cheekybobcat
Dec 31, 2007, 04:55 PM
Am I the only one to get that? :D Zoolander, people!

i think most of us got that
just held back from saying anything ;)

The Toon Master
Dec 31, 2007, 05:05 PM
My friend(Who is obbsessed with Hannah Montanna and listens to the music, Male Teenager BTW) showed me a vid of her using her iPhone, so i bet that is part of the reason Apple pursued her. Not to mention the fact that Steve Jobs is on the Disney Board if I remember correct.

Apple + Google = w00t

Though you know what would be even awesomer

Apple + Google + Nintendo (I want my iDS god dangit)

RoboCop001
Dec 31, 2007, 05:19 PM
But all of these rumors are fake!

If you read every 3rd and 16th word in the sentences, it's clearly talking about iMacGyver. What is it? It does anything. It's a little box that kind of looks like an iPod Shuffle see... only when you put stuff beside it, it turns it into things!

And the MacWorld demo is going to go like this... I saw it being rehearsed just yesterday...

"And here it is! The iMacGyver. Now watch as I place this toothpick and selection of Madonna CDs and also this partially used napkin beside it.... Oh! Oh wow!"
[kookookeekuhkah (because that's the sound it makes, like a transformer)]
"That's right, folks. I just created a Samsung phone out of these random objects. And it even works!"
[steve uses the phone to call his iPhone]

"Now let's talk about the iPhone. Every new iPhone..... will come with an iMacGyver!"

pscoble
Dec 31, 2007, 05:21 PM
Good god if Apple was ever bought by Google :eek: :( well lets hope not.

Mydel
Dec 31, 2007, 05:25 PM
That tablet/laptop thing sounds more and more interesting but more and more expensive as well:rolleyes:

rtdunham
Dec 31, 2007, 05:33 PM
QUOTE: "What would you attach it to? QUOTE

it could attach via a small-diameter suction cup. If it's new and improved, it could attach to the bezel of Macs that already have iSights, as well as to those that don't; it could attach to the bezel of cinema displays or other external monitors; it could (drumroll) attach to the face of an iPhone, to facilitate video chats.

Gizmotoy
Dec 31, 2007, 05:35 PM
- Since June 07, Merrill Lynch is preparing the Apple's acquisition by Google and indeed of everybody's expectations of the new gadgets arrival, this will become a main news that Eric Schmidt and Steve Jobs are delivering on the MacWorld Expo.
The grammar of this rumor is so poor I can barely even figure out what it means. It sounds like it's about Google buying "the Apple," but then goes on to mention a new gadget?

It makes my brain hurt just reading it :confused:

eric55lv
Dec 31, 2007, 05:40 PM
Google to buy Apple?
Whilst I love both companies, I would not like to ever see Apple being bought by anyone. Perhaps the other way around.

Long live Lord Jobs...

yeah i like the idea of Apple buying Google but not the other way around

aristotle
Dec 31, 2007, 05:58 PM
How incredibly short-sighted of you. Speech recognition is quite important, for those with certain disabilities. Windows has built-in speech recognition-to-dictation, which the Mac OS seems to lack.

I guess that you did not see Wild Hogs? There was a scene where a guy was using voice recognition on his laptop in a starbucks and it stopped working right and then he said, "I guess I should search for alternative specs" which prompted it to announce that it was searching for alternative sex.

CalBoy
Dec 31, 2007, 06:04 PM

Not only that, but Jobs and Disney are closely intwined. I'm not so convince that that rumor is impossible.

mikes63737
Dec 31, 2007, 06:17 PM
I guess that you did not see Wild Hogs? There was a scene where a guy was using voice recognition on his laptop in a starbucks and it stopped working right and then he said, "I guess I should search for alternative specs" which prompted it to announce that it was searching for alternative sex.

It's a movie... which means that it's not real.

yeah i like the idea of Apple buying Google but not the other way around

They would charge for everything. Gmail would be $99/year.

Bradley W
Dec 31, 2007, 06:19 PM
_

Doctor Q
Dec 31, 2007, 07:00 PM
An unusual way to attach an iSight? That's easy to guess: It'll be on the back of the screen, and the display will spin around rapidly so that the camera can capture a frame each time it passes by your direction, while your eye will focus on the screen each time it faces you, so you won't even notice the motion.

Is that better for some reason? No. It's just unusual, which was the goal.

smitha96
Dec 31, 2007, 07:09 PM
My friend who works for Apple not only confirmed the story about the MacBook Pro, but informed me that he was working on a special project that would bring mind recognition to the Mac OS. He said his team was aiming to have it implemented in 10.6. This DEFINITELY could be what the "something that no one has seen yet" comment refers to. Oh, and the MacBook Pro starting price is going to be $799 ($789 educational price).

m1ti
Dec 31, 2007, 07:29 PM
I'd probably quit using Macs if Google bought Apple.

The rumor is a lie anyway because Google's main investment banking account is with Credit Suisse not Merrill.

philbeeney
Dec 31, 2007, 07:31 PM
I'm obviously not in Apple's demographics, but I've never heard of Hannah Montana. :o

noone
Dec 31, 2007, 07:45 PM
I'm obviously not in Apple's demographics, but I've never heard of Hannah Montana. :o

Surely then you live under a rock. ;) The Hannah Montana deal isn't actually that far fetched. The one pound miracle screen is not only impossible, but would be very very cost prohibitave.

megfilmworks
Dec 31, 2007, 08:07 PM
I'm obviously not in Apple's demographics, but I've never heard of Hannah Montana. :oYou may know her "achy breaky" dad though; Billy Ray Cyrus, the country singer.

tgildred
Dec 31, 2007, 08:17 PM

It's so simple!

mambodancer
Dec 31, 2007, 08:33 PM

My sister in law is blind. Without speech and some sort of voice recognition using a computer or mobile is impossible.

She uses a Windows PC running a wonderful program called window Eyes. She is actually better at using it than a lot of my sighted clients using their Macs (or XP computers).

The challenges for her became very evident when trying to buy a mobile. The blind community has a few recommendations and we went to the verizon store to get a demo. The phone we looked at looks like it might do the trick for most of what she needs as it will speak most of the menu items as she navigates the phone. The iPhone, unfortunately, will most definitely not be a solution for the blind. As she says, the blind or sighted impaired market is extremely small (most are elderly) and 90% of them are unemployed (so probably couldn't afford a phone and plan anyway). Phone companies don't have much of a push to develop for this small market.

mambodancer
Dec 31, 2007, 08:34 PM
You may know her "achy breaky" dad though; Billy Ray Cyrus, the country singer.

And her name is "Miley Cyrus."

sushi
Dec 31, 2007, 09:04 PM
An unusual way to attach an iSight? That's easy to guess: It'll be on the back of the screen, and the display will spin around rapidly so that the camera can capture a frame each time it passes by your direction, while your eye will focus on the screen each time it faces you, so you won't even notice the motion.
Thanks for the laugh on this New Years Day!

Just imagining that makes me LOL! :D

roland.g
Dec 31, 2007, 10:34 PM
I predict that Apple will release new products in 2008.

That they will have advertisements promoting those products.

I will even go out on such a limb as to say that Steve Jobs and Eric Schmidt will speak to each other, more than once. And that is more than just bull in a china shop.

ThinkGeek
Dec 31, 2007, 10:44 PM
No.. No.. this Macworld Apple will introduce the iRack and the iRan lolololoolol :apple::apple::apple::apple::apple::apple::apple::apple::apple::apple::eek:

KurtangleTN
Dec 31, 2007, 11:20 PM
I got a source telling me Apple is going to buy wikipedia.

philbeeney
Jan 1, 2008, 12:01 AM
You may know her "achy breaky" dad though; Billy Ray Cyrus, the country singer.

I've heard of him. Now I'm showing my age. ;)

newrigel
Jan 1, 2008, 02:57 AM
What a JOKE!
What kind of money in the long run do these kids have to spend on Apple products unless they become professionals in the market place? I'm talking about REAL Apple purchases... where the big boys play! Apple IMO should just let the windows communities take their relentless endeavors and design products for them and leave the pro market for the Mac users! **** The people that have that windows frame of mind of "one day it will happen" ****! I have used BOTH platforms and the PC SIDE OF THINGS REALLY GETS IN the way of the FREEDOM TO CREATE analogy! To hell with these people as far as Apple is concerned and me too IMO!
Apple needs to stay involved with the PRO market and let these kids with no $$ take a hike! **** them!

TechHistorian
Jan 1, 2008, 08:55 AM
What a JOKE!
What kind of money in the long run do these kids have to spend on Apple products unless they become professionals in the market place? I'm talking about REAL Apple purchases... where the big boys play! Apple IMO should just let the windows communities take their relentless endeavors and design products for them and leave the pro market for the Mac users! **** The people that have that windows frame of mind of "one day it will happen" ****! I have used BOTH platforms and the PC SIDE OF THINGS REALLY GETS IN the way of the FREEDOM TO CREATE analogy! To hell with these people as far as Apple is concerned and me too IMO!
Apple needs to stay involved with the PRO market and let these kids with no $$ take a hike! **** them!

Given that American teenagers have more disposable income than any other demographic in the US economy, these are EXACTLY the people a consumer electronics company should be focusing on. The 10 year-old to 25 year-old demographic is the most highly-prized one in the US. Apple's in business to make money, and they can rake it in if they simply focus on this age group.

BenRoethig
Jan 1, 2008, 12:37 PM
Google to buy Apple?

Long live Lord Jobs...

I don't see it happening, but it would be a best of both worlds scenario. We could finally see what happens when Apple is not limited by finances or Jobs' personal biases while still being completely focused to the core group.

CWallace
Jan 1, 2008, 12:44 PM

Maybe Apple has extended MagSafe to allow data to be transferred over it, so you can just "lift" it off without needing to formally unlatch it with a lever or button. :p

mac-er
Jan 1, 2008, 12:51 PM
I still think Apple and Google will merge.

I find it very strange that Apple is letting its stock price climb to such high prices, instead of splitting it, like they have historically. It almost seems like they are trying to bring it in line with another company's stock....

There has also been lots of talk about succession at Apple; who in the world could take Steve Jobs' place and vision? How about Dr. Schmidt?

CWallace
Jan 1, 2008, 12:58 PM
I still think Apple and Google will merge.

I hope not.

Nothing against Google. They're obviously masters of their core competency - Internet search engines. And I can see how that competency could be leveraged in supporting the true goal - lucrative and sustainable online advertising.

But how internet search engine and online advertising expertise translates into designing and building computer hardware, cellphones (note Android is an OS platform and not a hardware platform), PMPs, and productivity software admittedly escapes me.

Honestly, Apple should have bought YouTube and not Google. Apple already has the agreements in place with many media corporations who could have leveraged YouTube to distribute content to iPhones, iPod Touches and :apple:tvs.

ComedyCentral could post The Daily Show and The Colbert Report, for example, and keep the national ads in (and even sell more national ads to replace the slots dedicated to local market ads).

And lower-res versions of the QuickTime movie trailers could also be shown via YouTube on the same devices.

Apple could also have hosted contests to get individuals to post their own content and have advertising tie-ins based on the topic.

azuredesign
Jan 2, 2008, 06:56 PM
[A Friend of submitter] told me that Apple is designing a replacement for the iSight. He won't say any more other than that it is to be attached to the screen in "an unusual manner".

Did someone just watch I Am Legend, or what?

Dmac77
Jan 2, 2008, 07:25 PM
Hannah Montana is possibly true. although I would probably kill myself. I would like a detachable/wireless iSight.

thomasterranova
Jan 2, 2008, 08:27 PM
the iSight rumor was my fave because it was so difficult to envision and was therefore extremely intriguing.

here's an idea - a thin, transparent film that attaches to the screen like a screen protector. in addition to providing some kind of rudimentary display for device feedback (just LCD style text) the entire surface would also serve as a camera, since there have been patents filed that use screens themselves as the input devices, allowing for a true, "camera-less" videophone experience like we've always seen on fictional TV programs.

since it lays over the surface of the screen, it will be called... wait for it...
the OverSight.

:-)
[ba-dump bump]

sanford
Jan 3, 2008, 06:05 PM
http://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com)
- Since June 07, Merrill Lynch is preparing the Apple's acquisition by Google and indeed of everybody's expectations of the new gadgets arrival, this will become a main news that Eric Schmidt and Steve Jobs are delivering on the MacWorld Expo.Article Link (http://www.macrumors.com/2007/12/26/2007s-rumor-rejects-and-unconfirmed/)

Jobs will arrange the sale of Apple to Miley Cyrus before Google. Google does interesting services, and now perhaps a phone, with no design sense whatsoever. If anything, Google should *hire* Apple to help them clean up everything they've ever released.

Counter
Jan 5, 2008, 11:39 AM
Google Acquisition = LOL