PDA

View Full Version : Apple Invites European Media to MWSF Keynote Broadcast

MacRumors
Jan 7, 2008, 06:40 AM
http://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com)

According to Macworld.co.uk (http://www.macworld.co.uk/mac/news/index.cfm?NewsID=20068), Apple has invited members of the European media to watch a special broadcast of Steve Jobs' Macworld San Francisco keynote speech.
"Please join us on 15 January at 5pm for a special live satellite broadcast of Steve Jobs' keynote address from Macworld San Francisco," the company says in a message to the media.
Journalists will be gathered at the BBC TV studios to watch the event live. The Macworld San Francisco 2008 keynote speech will place at the Moscone center in San Francisco, CA on January 15th at 9am Pacific. Apple typically releases new products at the Macworld keynote. Last year's keynote first introduced the iPhone. This year, Apple is rumored to be introducing a new thin laptop and likely revisions to their MacBook Pro line. We will be providing live coverage at MacRumorsLive.com (http://www.macrumorslive.com/).

Article Link (http://www.macrumors.com/2008/01/07/apple-invites-european-media-to-mwsf-keynote-broadcast/)

zedsdead
Jan 7, 2008, 06:42 AM
http://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com)

According to Macworld.co.uk (http://www.macworld.co.uk/mac/news/index.cfm?NewsID=20068), Apple has invited members of the European media to watch a special broadcast of Steve Jobs' Macworld San Francisco keynote speech.

Journalists will be gathered at the BBC TV studios to watch the event live. The Macworld San Francisco 2008 keynote speech will place at the Moscone center in San Francisco, CA on January 15th at 9am Pacific. Apple typically releases new products at the Macworld keynote. Last year's keynote first introduced the iPhone. This year, Apple is rumored to be introducing a new thin laptop and likely revisions to their MacBook Pro line. We will be providing live coverage at MacRumorsLive.com (http://www.macrumorslive.com/).

Article Link (http://www.macrumors.com/2008/01/07/apple-invites-european-media-to-mwsf-keynote-broadcast/)

Does Apple usually broadcast live to Europe via satellite?

psychofreak
Jan 7, 2008, 06:42 AM
Not to put down MRs great coverage (which I follow alongside Engadget), I'm hoping its not too many years until we get live video online, whether its done by Apple or a third party :)

xappeal
Jan 7, 2008, 06:43 AM
Worldwide Movie rentals.... has to be...

zedsdead
Not to put down MRs great coverage (which I follow alongside Engadget), I'm hoping its not too many years until we get live video online, whether its done by Apple or a third party :)

World of Apple is supposed to be providing a live video feed this year.

arn

Video would be tough for anyone to pull off due to the scale required. But we'll have larger (largest?) photos this year.

arn

jimN
Does Apple usually broadcast live to Europe via satellite?

That would be my question too. Should we be getting over excited about a Euro-centric release or is this just business as usual.

MOFS
Jan 7, 2008, 06:44 AM

According to Macworld.co.uk (http://www.macworld.co.uk/mac/news/index.cfm?NewsID=20068), Apple has inviting members of the European media to watch a special broadcast of Steve Jobs' Macworld San Francisco keynote speech.

The fact that they're doing this implies that there's gonna be some European-specific news. The BBC will happily post news stories about Apple without an invitation, so this new development probably signifies some more profound international news for a change.

stephen =D
Jan 7, 2008, 06:45 AM
does this mean that there will be a live video feed :D
my parents night is at the same time as the keynote:( how annoying:@

:apple:

Also will this mean that a european prodict is likely??

dalvin200
this is standard, inviting UK press to the BBC studio's..

been done last few years at least..

siurpeeman

didn't apple used to stream the video live back in the day? or am i just imagining things? :confused:

xUKHCx
Jan 7, 2008, 06:46 AM
That would be my question too. Should we be getting over excited about a Euro-centric release or is this just business as usual.

The fact that they're doing this implies that there's gonna be some European-specific news. The BBC will happily post news stories about Apple without an invitation, so this new development probably signifies some more profound international news for a change.

Or worldwide release of new products that they want to get some free advertisement from the BBC etc.

arn
Jan 7, 2008, 06:47 AM
didn't apple used to stream the video live back in the day? or am i just imagining things? :confused:

They used to. But haven't for many years.

arn

psychofreak

Yes, before I was following them...

MOFS

They stream it afterwards. Its generally a good idea to look at it a couple of days afterwards until the dust settles down otherwise its soooooooo slllllllllllow.:(

nickane
Jan 7, 2008, 06:50 AM
Worldwide Movie rentals.... has to be...

My thoughts exactly... and I f$%&ing hope so too.

FAO Steve: My projector is 720p native...

Modjo
Jan 7, 2008, 06:57 AM
They used to. But haven't for many years.

arn

Seems like only a few years ago though.
Still can't believe they took that away from us :)
That first keynote without live stream was pure rampage on irc and live update sites.

MrT8064
Jan 7, 2008, 07:00 AM
were can we find out about world of apples feed?

netdog
Jan 7, 2008, 07:00 AM

The fact is that Apple hasn't been this newsworthy for many years...if ever. Don't hold your breath waiting to here that Europe is going to get iTMS movie rentals at the same time as the USA, or any other Euro-centric news of the sort.

This is just about buzz. They want the press to see Jobs in Europe just like they do in the USA because Jobs is a master salesman and hypester extraordinaire. See Jobs doing his song and dance gets people a lot more inspired than a press release, and they want the worldwide press to be inspired. The MacBook Nano is likely to be inspiring, as are the number that he opens the show with...for Macs, iPhones, iPods, iTMS, etc.

gifford
Jan 7, 2008, 07:07 AM

7" 3G iphone/pda with simultaneous worldwide release.

+

Apple adds 3G capabilities into its new laptop line, with the ability to use your existing iPhone account.

+

Movie rentals (fairly obviously)

+

eBook reader and downloads on iTunes.

thats my bet/wish

EDIT: actually scrap the idea of 3G in laptops, though its a great idea, I just realized each laptop would have to go through all the international regulations like mobile phones and so take 6 months to reach market. I doubt thats gonna happen, unless they go the way of detachable 3G so it is a separate device.
Like the rumor on front page of Spymac couple of years back that I started when I had too much time on my hands.
EDIT2: Scrap detachable 3G in laptops as well, Apple are more likely to promote easy laptop integration with 3G through your iPhone (that apple will expect every laptop owner to own).

dAlen
Jan 7, 2008, 07:09 AM
There was a time that we could watch macworld live on a video feed from apple. Im sure of this as I used to watch them.

One day they came out with their new codec for quicktime, which was supposed to help live feeds, and they used it once and never again.
After then no more live Macworld feeds.

How many years has it been...dont remember, but they did used to do it on a regular basis. Its kind of pointless to put up the video after the fact, loses the momentum of a live event. Some like it, and its o.k. for reference.

But I like the live updates/refreshes and pics that sites (other than apple) offer during the event.

Peace

dAlen

gifford
Jan 7, 2008, 07:12 AM

yes, then they decided to ditch it in favor of a download released after all the hype had dwindled.
I used to watch their keynote streams religiously, very annoying, I hope they bring it back soon.

MacsRgr8
Jan 7, 2008, 07:13 AM
Here we go... :)

This is where the countdown really starts :cool:

Can't wait!! :apple:

irmongoose
Jan 7, 2008, 07:14 AM
Will we be getting the "spoiler-free" link this year as well? It's worked out wonderfully the past two times, I'm kinda used to going about it this way... :o

irmongoose

pmoeser
Jan 7, 2008, 07:17 AM
7" 3G iphone/pda with simultaneous worldwide release. thats my bet

+

Apple adds 3G capabilities into its laptop line, with the ability to use your existing iPhone account.

It would be nice to think that we (with nationwide 3G networks) might get some of that action too.

Don't care about a 7 incher, a standard sized 3G (or EDGE for that matter) would be fantastic!

As for movies, we don't even have TV shows here.

Does anyone know if there is a similar event in Australia?

sachxn
Jan 7, 2008, 07:26 AM
Can this Keynote of Steve Jobs be viewed live in India..I mean on any TV channel, because I am a big fan of Steve and it happens that I always watch the photos or videos later on.

Sachin (http://qtp.blogspot.com)

tomd89
Jan 7, 2008, 07:27 AM
I don't think that Apple would invite British media to the BBC studios to be told that movie rentals are only going to be available in America. So here's hoping for iTunes to sell movies in the UK, at last!

Knox
Jan 7, 2008, 07:33 AM
Will we be getting the "spoiler-free" link this year as well? It's worked out wonderfully the past two times, I'm kinda used to going about it this way... :o

Yes, the spoiler-free page will be there.

VaDor
Jan 7, 2008, 07:38 AM

irmongoose

I agree :) will macrumors do that again? :D

Dagless
Jan 7, 2008, 07:39 AM
7" 3G iphone/pda with simultaneous worldwide release.

+

Apple adds 3G capabilities into its new laptop line, with the ability to use your existing iPhone account.

+

Movie rentals

thats my bet/wish

EDIT: actually scrap the idea of 3G in laptops, though its a great idea, I just realized each laptop would have to go through all the international regulations like mobile phones and so take 6 months to reach market. I doubt thats gonna happen, unless they go the way of detachable 3G so it is a separate device.
Like the rumor on front page of Spymac couple of years back that I started when I had too much time on my hands!

Plug iPhone into Mac for (slow) internet coverage everywhere? I really would like that. Could be in the middle of a powercut but still use my PB on the internet :D

tadunne
Jan 7, 2008, 07:40 AM
I don't think that Apple would invite British media to the BBC studios to be told that movie rentals are only going to be available in America. So here's hoping for iTunes to sell movies in the UK, at last!

No, but they might invite the UK media to show off new macs and 3rd party iphone support. We use them over here too. ;)

The link in the UK is probably not just for the UK media but for reports across europe...

It would be nice to have worldwide rentals but going by how slowly the tv service has been rolled out (it's in the UK now but there are not many good shows on there) and the music before I think we'll have a long wait.

JohnHawkins
Jan 7, 2008, 07:40 AM
Video would be tough for anyone to pull off due to the scale required. But we'll have larger (largest?) photos this year.

arn

<3

trinket
Jan 7, 2008, 07:41 AM
I wouldn't read into this too much - I have been to one of these events before, and basically it is aimed at encouraging the press to write articles about macworld and drum up business a bit. It doesn't mean Euro focused product releases at all. The events are basically set up to compliment Apple's own ad campaigns and personalise the Apple message by appealing to potential customers - particularly the average home and small business customer via newspaper, radio, TV and other types of publications that are not tech-centric (eg - better homes & gardens and the like). Events like this are held all over the world each year - but more often than not is made available to a small and focused group of tech writers.

sunfast
Jan 7, 2008, 07:48 AM
To wait and watch, or not?

So tough this one - every year I decide I will wait and watch the stream "as live" but the thought of missing out on the live action (and general impatience) leave me poring over the live text.

Probably be no change to that this year. :)

irmongoose
Jan 7, 2008, 07:53 AM
Yes, the spoiler-free page will be there.

Wonderful. Thanks. :cool:

irmongoose

gifford
Jan 7, 2008, 07:54 AM
To wait and watch, or not?

So tough this one - every year I decide I will wait and watch the stream "as live" but the thought of missing out on the live action (and general impatience) leave me poring over the live text.

Probably be no change to that this year. :)

I always have the same predicament :)

fluidedge
Jan 7, 2008, 08:01 AM
Or worldwide release of new products that they want to get some free advertisement from the BBC etc.

Apple don't need to encourage the BBC - they are unbelievably pro Apple. Even when Apple release an OS update, 10.5.1 say, the BBC lead with it on the website. The iPhone coverage was ridiculous too, i think the BBC got in trouble with the powers that be for spending so much time on it.

tadunne
Jan 7, 2008, 08:14 AM
Apple don't need to encourage the BBC - they are unbelievably pro Apple. Even when Apple release an OS update, 10.5.1 say, the BBC lead with it on the website. The iPhone coverage was ridiculous too, i think the BBC got in trouble with the powers that be for spending so much time on it.

Well except for the iplayer thing.. Only after lots of moaning do we get a crappy flash only thing.. They should just make a deal to use itunes as a delivery mechanism which is cross platform (not including linux). I think one thing stopping them from using itunes was the lack of expiring content. Maybe now if they upgrade itunes to do rentals they can use it?

ParisParamus
Jan 7, 2008, 08:16 AM

It could "just" mean that there will be big news, and Apple doesn't want to slight Europe; convergence of markets, sort of like the end of months of delay in the release of films to Europe, n'est ce pas?

Orng
Jan 7, 2008, 08:17 AM
Apple don't need to encourage the BBC - they are unbelievably pro Apple.

Can BBC news video clips be played on Mac or Linux yet, or are they still tied to that Windows-only video system?

I feel like there was a change on this front recently, but I'm too busy and tired to look it up.

Cepe Indicum
Jan 7, 2008, 08:17 AM

Yeah, but based on today's tech page (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/default.stm), they're trying to redress the balance ;)

gifford
Jan 7, 2008, 08:18 AM

What on earth are you talking about!!!???
Every story the BBC did for a long time regarding Apple span the company in bad light.
And particularly with the iPhone.
They have had their nose up MSFT's bum for ages, historically very bad mac support, and the whole iPlayer silverlight fiasco was a joke.
I have been quite vocal with my annoyance with BBC on this front and have made official complaints.
Recently they seem to have got better, mass facebook groups and government petitions by annoyed mac users may have finally hit the mark.

Popeye206
Jan 7, 2008, 08:20 AM
Makes sense to me that Apple's announcements are more world wide than ever given the impact of the iPhone and the buzz around Apple products in general. All this means from what I can assess is that Apple is taking it's global reach more seriously and we're in for a killer keynote. I expect great numbers from European sales of iPhones is driving most of this.

I can't wait until next Tuesday!!!!!!!!

Fezzy
Jan 7, 2008, 08:22 AM
were can we find out about world of apples feed?

http://news.worldofapple.com/archives/2007/12/02/macworld-2008-live-video-keynote-coverage-register-your-interest-now/

!¡ V ¡!
Jan 7, 2008, 08:27 AM
Since the Euro-Broadcasters are being invited, it leads to one of two or both things, iPhone is getting GSM and iTunes is getting more media spread to Europe.

Without some news that affects Europe, this invite seems useless.

applemax
Jan 7, 2008, 08:30 AM
Does anyone know of the frequency for the Euro-transmission? We could all watch it with our Sky boxes! :D

fluidedge
Jan 7, 2008, 08:43 AM
i meant BBC news is pro apple in its reporting. The iPlayer thing is a bit of a mess, i agree, though lets be fair, online delivery of television - *properly* - is still quite a young animal.

The beeb were incredibly biased towards the iPhone! The today program on BBC radio 4 spent about 15 minutes walking through the functions with the presenters, saying how revolutionary it was and all that licky licky stuff. I'm informed that most 'front line' BBC journalists carry iPhones these days :rolleyes:

As for BBCs hardware tech news, i can't remember the last time BBC talked about the LG phone, the Sony Viao updates, the new Intel chips etc

BornAgainMac
Jan 7, 2008, 08:45 AM
Last year this keynote was provided as a free download in iTunes. I hope they repeat that this year. They didn't do it with the Developers Conference for some reason.

arkitect
Jan 7, 2008, 08:45 AM
Apple don't need to encourage the BBC - they are unbelievably pro Apple.

Hang on, I think you forgot the /sarcasm… ;)

There is no way that Auntie Beeb is pro-Apple at all…

applemax
Jan 7, 2008, 08:46 AM
i meant BBC news is pro apple in its reporting. The iPlayer thing is a bit of a mess, i agree, though lets be fair, online delivery of television - *properly* - is still quite a young animal.

The beeb were incredibly biased towards the iPhone! The today program on BBC radio 4 spent about 15 minutes walking through the functions with the presenters, saying how revolutionary it was and all that licky licky stuff. I'm informed that most 'front line' BBC journalists carry iPhones these days :rolleyes:

As for BBCs hardware tech news, i can't remember the last time BBC talked about the LG phone, the Sony Viao updates, the new Intel chips etc

The Gadget show on Channel 5 are also very 'pro iPhone' - :p

fluidedge
Jan 7, 2008, 08:56 AM
i've always thought the gadget show was very pro apple too. I think it's quite a good show, though some of their 'lab tests' are a little strange - comparing 3 video cameras, one costing £2000, one £800 and one £300 - guess which came out on top. Also comparing an xbox 360 to a £5000 custom build PC.

olternaut
Jan 7, 2008, 09:07 AM

No, your not imagining things. They used to stream it live. I have no idea why they stopped it. They didn't have any good reason to imo.

fluidedge
Jan 7, 2008, 09:13 AM
They want to edit the keynote together to make it look all shiny and nice obviously. When they switch from 'steveonstage' to split screen with the slideshow, they could do it live, but they might just want to do it in post. They can also edit out any bits which go wrong too. If there was a power failure or a fire or someone rushed the stage, they wouldn't want to be showing that live. IMO.

olternaut
Jan 7, 2008, 09:31 AM
They want to edit the keynote together to make it look all shiny and nice obviously. When they switch from 'steveonstage' to split screen with the slideshow, they could do it live, but they might just want to do it in post. They can also edit out any bits which go wrong too. If there was a power failure or a fire or someone rushed the stage, they wouldn't want to be showing that live. IMO.

Don't they realize that people don't care about polish and crap like that? This is not a trade show....this is an EVENT! People want to witness it live so they can tell their children and their children's children that they "experienced" it.
I'm not going to let a repeat of what happened last year happen again if I can help it. I want to drop my jaw in awe like peeps did last year when they revealed the iphone. Yes, people have gotten used to the iphone and all that but the second it was first revealed on stage people were like...."oh my freakin gawd!" with literal jaws dropped. While I got to see pictures of it with hastily typed words on a blog page.
NOT THIS TIME DANG IT!! :mad:
I want to experience the "moment" myself!

Applespider
Jan 7, 2008, 09:33 AM

They invited the British media for the iPhone announcement and the US TV show announcement. Trouble is that so long as part of the Keynote contains things pertinent to Europe, it's kinda tough to make the invite for a partial Keynote. I'm not holding my breath for UK movies rental or purchase.

dubhe
Jan 7, 2008, 10:12 AM
I must be getting old, I am more excited about next Tuesday than I was about Christmas, maybe I can make an advent calendar for the countdown to keynote speeches, with a different apple product behind each door...

applemax
Jan 7, 2008, 10:15 AM
I must be getting old, I am more excited about next Tuesday than I was about Christmas, maybe I can make an advent calendar for the countdown to keynote speeches, with a different apple product behind each door...

Just buy one! :D And dubhe, what do you think- Apple store in Chapelfield? :D

twoodcc
Jan 7, 2008, 10:28 AM
this can only be good news. can't wait! :apple:

dubhe
Jan 7, 2008, 10:32 AM
Just buy one! :D And dubhe, what do you think- Apple store in Chapelfield? :D

Well, it wouldn't be in the Castle Mall now would it, gone a bit chavvy... Chapelfield would be good, I can walk there from my flat! :)

iPhelim
Jan 7, 2008, 10:45 AM
Apple don't need to encourage the BBC - they are unbelievably pro Apple. Even when Apple release an OS update, 10.5.1 say, the BBC lead with it on the website.

You're right in that the BBC are always quick of the mark with Apple related stories BUT they almost always paint Apple in a bad light when talking about OS X or iTunes. One article on iTunes Plus contained some complete bu%*!hit that was just totally wrong, i complained and they had the sense to correct it. They draft in this 'freelance' guy called Bill Thompson to write about OS X and from what he writes it makes me doubt whether he has ever even used it. The article about the 10.5.1 update was all about the supposedly Windows-like horrific security issues in 10.5.0. They do however seem in awe of the iPhone, I think Radio 1 and Radio 4 devoted a fair bit of time to it on November 9th and 10th.

They want to edit the keynote together to make it look all shiny and nice obviously. When they switch from 'steveonstage' to split screen with the slideshow, they could do it live, but they might just want to do it in post. They can also edit out any bits which go wrong too.

Exactly.

I've only been following Apple since 2006 but i have never known European journalists to be invited to Television Centre to watch a 'satellite broadcast'. But i agree that this doesn't necessarily mean something Europe related, it may just be something Apple will do from now on to increase media coverage. A lot of people are referencing times when they're invited British media, but it's not just Britain its other European journalists now. I think it is likely that Steve will announce some dates for other European iPhone releases and i'm praying for movies for the UK on iTunes, i think it's about time.

applemax
Jan 7, 2008, 10:52 AM
Well, it wouldn't be in the Castle Mall now would it, gone a bit chavvy... Chapelfield would be good, I can walk there from my flat! :)

Oh right - nice - are you in those Chapelfield Apartments then? I always thought that Apple should've got House of Fraser's two floor space - that'd be good. :D

dubhe
Jan 7, 2008, 11:08 AM
Oh right - nice - are you in those Chapelfield Apartments then? I always thought that Apple should've got House of Fraser's two floor space - that'd be good. :D

Three floors, they've got another squeezed in the top. But, House of Fraser is good too, life isn't all about Macs... Ok, it should be, but it isn't.

No, I don't live in Chapelfield, something about 100 years older, used to be a hospital...

Peace
Jan 7, 2008, 11:13 AM
The only reason Europe is in on this is due to the iPhone.Jobs wants to thank the European tele companies and they in turn will talk about sales.

It would be great if there were international movie rentals or perhaps The Beatles are finally ready to distribute their catalog online now.

Apple Records ?

applemax
Jan 7, 2008, 11:13 AM
Three floors, they've got another squeezed in the top. But, House of Fraser is good too, life isn't all about Macs... Ok, it should be, but it isn't.

No, I don't live in Chapelfield, something about 100 years older, used to be a hospital...

The old N&N? Not too far from CF then :D

stephen =D
Jan 7, 2008, 12:01 PM
what are the odds that this will be beatles related??

I am sooooooooo excited about tuesday :D:D

Hopefully a new macbook on teh way too:D

fluidedge
Jan 7, 2008, 12:09 PM
could be!!

as soon as the beatles stuff is released it's gonna be hilarious looking at the top 40 singles chart. I predict 6 of the top 10 being beatles!

Crike .40
Jan 7, 2008, 12:36 PM
Does anyone know what it would take to get access to this video feed. I have to assume that someone on the inside knows the address and/or information to where to get the feed. I would suppose that certain AAPL stores might have it showing (I have seen it in back rooms in the past). Anyone know for sure if this is going to happen anywhere, or will it continue to be iPhone pictures and texted one line updates?

pmoeser
Jan 7, 2008, 02:39 PM

Probably because none of those things are quite as radically different to existing products and ways of doing things as the iPhone and many other products from Apple are.

Apple have marketed themselves beautifully to make themselves newsworthy. Usually for good things.

Plus there's the whole Apple Corps/Apple Inc music industry link thing.

The Beatles were quite big in their day I'm told.

a456
Jan 7, 2008, 03:10 PM
Now that Apple has shown the mobile phone industry how to make phones maybe they are ready to show the car industry how to make cars - here's hoping that the iCar is fast, long distance and electric. I'll take two.

SeaFox
Jan 7, 2008, 04:21 PM
I don't know about anyone else, but the mental image of a bunch of journalist sitting in a television studio and watching a broadcast to gain information seems rather ironic.

The Phazer
Jan 7, 2008, 04:34 PM

Sorry, but this means absolutely nothing - the BBC hires out this specific studio to journos to watch every Apple keynote, and has for some years.

As already mentioned, the same happened during the US iPhone announcement.

Phazer

ooberpongo
Jan 7, 2008, 05:58 PM
The most obvious reason to me would be, that apple will announce new iPhone partnerships in european countries. So far the Iphone is only available in UK, Germany and France. What about Italy, Spain, Portugal, Poland, Austria, Switzerland, Hungary, Belgium, Netherlands, etc.etc.

El Carbonite
Jan 7, 2008, 07:05 PM

They basically use a live-to-tape method similar to some TV shows, but in the event that someone happens, they can edit that out. This is what the broadcast truck outside of Moscone is used for.

The screens in the back of the keynote hall show the same feed the webcast and satellite feed sees.

nja247
Jan 8, 2008, 01:15 AM
Yesterday, in the London Lite paper, they had a great gadgets of 2008 story, and it spoke of a 7" touch tablet called MacBook Nano being available this year with pricing TBA, but expected around £600 ($1200, but probably $999 since things are always cheaper in the US). We'll see if they're right.

It'll be sad if Apple misses the opportunity to release a 13.3" or slightly smaller "Pro" notebook.

sunfast
Jan 8, 2008, 04:01 AM
Yesterday, in the London Lite paper, they had a great gadgets of 2008 story, and it spoke of a 7" touch tablet called MacBook Nano being available this year with pricing TBA, but expected around £600 ($1200, but probably $999 since things are always cheaper in the US). We'll see if they're right.

It'll be sad if Apple misses the opportunity to release a 13.3" or slightly smaller "Pro" notebook.

It was in thelondonpaper - I thought they were being a bit confident about it but they got Stuff magazine to do the feature. They also assured us of iPhone 3G in "late 2008". That's a banker at least!

Gav
Jan 8, 2008, 04:37 PM
Aha! Time to fire up the trusty motorised satellite dish. Chances are it'll be broadcast unencrypted, the majority of 'feeds' (unedited material) usually are, so live Macworld for Gav :cool:

newamiga
Jan 8, 2008, 11:58 PM
I remember long ago watching the keynote on CNET TV or whatever they called it before they got bought out. Then you could watch the live stream after Apple bought an interest in Akamai who helped with the edge repeaters of the streams on the web, this was also part of Apple's original QuicktimeTV streaming of various channels, til it died. They also showed the streams in various Apple Retail stores for a couple years til they took out the theaters in most and just stopped doing that.

I really doubt Apple legal is going to let the World of Apple guys pull off a video feed, especially if they are trying to get money for add placement on an Apple event feed. I wish them luck, but I really doubt they will pull it off.

headfuzz
Jan 9, 2008, 02:11 AM
Aha! Time to fire up the trusty motorised satellite dish. Chances are it'll be broadcast unencrypted, the majority of 'feeds' (unedited material) usually are, so live Macworld for Gav :cool:

...and live Macworld streamed to embedded player on MacRumors, please Gav ;)

fluidedge
Jan 9, 2008, 05:55 AM
I think i might have just got to the bottom of the reason behind the invite:

Apple are to remove "restrictive pricing" on itunes, the BBC reports.

Apple have been in trouble with the EU over the price difference between the US and european itunes stores for some time. Maybe this means a price drop in the cost of songs/videos from european itunes stores??

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/7178651.stm